Explore the History of Stanford Medicine
John Wilson, 1998
A Legacy of Medical Innovation
Stanford University School of Medicine, 2000
The First Hundred Years
Wilmer C. Allen, 1959
Stanford University Medical Center, 1984
An Historical Sketch
Hans Barkan, 1954
Stanford University School of Medicine, 1964
circa 1932: The Way It Was
David A. Ryland, 1984
Phillip A. Pizzo, 2009
Laura Jones, 2008
Sypros Andreopoulos, 2008
Christina Man-wei Li, 1968
Robert G. Whitfield, 1941
Stanford University School of Medicine, 1932
Stanford University School of Medicine, 1966
Stanford University, 1912
We have thousands of images in a variety of formats.
Our Flickr collections are covered by a Creative Commons license. We require a credit line, "Stanford Medical History Center." For online displays, the credit line must be a link to the History Center.
The Stanford Medical History Center has many thousands of images beyond those on Flickr. The History Center is equipped with a digital imaging station so you can reproduce images from our collections. You are also welcome to use your own digital camera.
The Stanford Medical History Center has the personal papers of selected individuals who have been affiliated with Stanford Medicine or its predecessor institutions.
Currently Open Papers
- Dickson, Ernest Charles
- Ellinwood, Charles Norman
- Eloesser, Leo D.
- Ely, Leonard Wheeler
- Faber, Harold Kniest
- Fox, Leon Parrish
- Goldstein, Dora B.
- Greenwell, James Oliver
- Hoisholt, Andrew William
- Holman, Emile Frederic
- Hunter, William Strobel
- Lane, Levi Cooper
- Lane, Pauline
- Lee, Russel Van Arsdale
- Loveless, Mary Hewitt
The Stanford Medical History Center has a treasure trove of over 7,600 rare books related to health care going back to the 13th century.
The rare and fragile state of these books requires that they not circulate. However, they are available to be viewed on-site. For most of our materials researchers are welcome to use History Center's digitization equipment to reproduce the content.
This collection includes:
- illustrated anatomies
- guides for midwives
- historical medical dictionaries
- English, German, French, Latin, Arabic, Italian, and many other languages
To find books, use Lane Library catalog, click the "limits" icon , limit your search to specific years of publication (e.g., 1500-1600, or up to 1725).
The Stanford Medical History Center has selected inactive administrative records from:
- Stanford University School of Medicine
- Stanford Hospital and Clinics
- Lucile Packard Children's Hospital
- Allied Arts Guild
- Cooper Medical College (predecessor institution)
- Stanford School of Nursing
Some records may be restricted to researchers for legal or other reasons.
Other Image Resources
Local History Resources
- Palo Alto Historical Association
- Menlo Park Historical Association
- Stanford Historical Society
- Santa Clara County Historical & Genealogical Society
- San Mateo County History Museum - Archives
- University of California, San Francisco - Archives
- California State Library - Sutro Library
- The National Archives at San Francisco
- Silicon Valley History Online
- Museum of Vision
- Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare System Museum of Medical History
Contact Historical Curator
- Drew Bourn, PhD, MLIS, CAP profile