Borrow, Renew, Return
You must register with Lane Library to borrow
Check your eligibility »
To register, download the appropriate application and bring it to Lane's User Services Desk or fax to 650-725-7471.
Hospital employees: please bring the form and your picture ID.
Please update your registration annually by phoning (650) 723-6831 or emailing us.
(e.g. PI research assistant)
- ID cards and badges are non-transferable. You must be a proxy for the faculty member in order to check out materials on his/her library record.
- You can become a proxy by registering for a proxy ID card. Download this form and bring it to the Lane Library Users Desk.
- Only Stanford Faculty can sponsor a proxy and only under
- The sponsor agrees to abide by Lane Medical Library regulations and acknowledges that the proxy's use of the library's privileges must be related to the instruction, research, patient care and public welfare goals of Stanford University and Stanford University Medical Center.
- The sponsor is responsible for all fines and fees or replacement costs that the proxy may incur. Notifications will be sent to the sponsor for tracking.
- Proxy sponsorship should not be used when privileges for a fee are appropriate. Library privileges may be revoked for cause at any time.
- You may renew items borrowed from Lane up to three times.
- Stop by the Users Desk at the library and renew your items in person (when renewing for the third time, you MUST renew the item in person)
- You may also renew online through the Lane catalog. If a renewal will not transact successfully, please call 650-723-6831 ext.3 or send an email to
- Book drops are located outside the library and at the curb between the Clark Center and the Alway Building.
- Two-hour and Course Reserve materials must be returned inside the library to avoid late fees.
- Materials to be used only inside the library should be returned to the User Services Desk.
- Late returns will incur fines
- Books borrowed from other campus libraries may be returned to Lane. However, Lane cannot ensure when these books will arrive at the appropriate library and be checked in as returned. The books are picked up at Lane each morning Monday – Friday by the campus mail courier. Alternatives: return any SUL book or journal to the Biology and Chemistry libraries. They are fairly close by and can check books in from most campus libraries.
Requesting Offsite Materials
Lane has back issues of several thousand periodical titles that are mostly stored offsite; you may request them through the Lane Catalog.
Note: All materials are subject to recall.
- Audio and video media: 7 days
- Books: 4 weeks
- Core textbooks: 2 hours, or overnight if within one hour of closing
- Course Reserves: periods vary
- Exam Reviews (medical students only): 3 days
- Journals: 3 days
- Special collections and reference materials cannot be removed from the library building.
All fines must be paid at the User Services Desk; cash, checks, Visa and Mastercard are accepted.
All materials are considered overdue if you have not returned them by the specified date. Your borrowing privileges can be blocked immediately until the late fee is paid or the material is returned. A courtesy reminder and two overdue notices will be sent via email. If these notices are not received, you are still held responsible for any late fee. If Lane receives no response to the overdue notices, an invoice, including replacement costs and an irrevocable late fee of $10 per item, will be sent. In some cases, when there is no response to the late fee notice, a copy of this notice will be sent to your department. A hold will be placed on student registration for any outstanding materials or fines.
If the materials are returned, the replacement and binding costs will be rescinded if the item is not already replaced. Sixty-three days after the due date, Lane Library will transfer funds from a Medical School department or request payment from SU departments.
Recalling Materials Checked Out by Another User
You may recall 28-day-loan materials from other users after the first two weeks of their initial check-out period. Locate the Lane catalog record for the item you need and click on “Request/Recall Items”. Course reserve materials are subject to immediate recall, with no waiting period.
Returning Materials That Have Been Recalled
If the library contacts you (by mail or phone) to recall materials you have checked out, please return them within 5 days. All materials recalled are considered overdue after five days, at which time a fine of $1 per day is assessed. If materials are not returned, overdue fines and replacement costs are applied.
Recalled materials cannot be renewed.