Research History of Medicine Topics
- Search for books published by academic presses on WorldCat
- Change the drop-down menu from "Keyword" to "Publisher"
- Enter the word "university" in the search box
- Retrieved search results will have the word "university" in their company name, such as Stanford University Press and Oxford University Press
- Click on the link "Libraries Worldwide" to see if a particular book is at Stanford
- Seach Searchworks
- If an item is not at Stanford, request via DocXpress
- Bulletin of the History of Medicine (Johns Hopkins University)
- Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences (Oxford University)
- Limit to "Historical Article" from the "Type of Article"
PhD dissertations sometimes include a literature review on their topic. These reviews can be helpful in building your bibliography.
- Search by topic in ProQuest
Once you have generated a list of books and articles, you can further build your bibliography by investigating where those books and articles have been cited in other books and articles.
- Search for citations in Web of Science
Reference works can provide a broad overview of a topic, and also furnish a starting bibliography. We carry encyclopedias, chronologies, necrologies, and other standard reference sources in the history of medicine, including:
- Companion Encyclopedia of the History of Medicine by W.F. Bynum and Roy Porter (New York: Routledge, 1993).
- Encyclopedia of Medical History by Robert E. McGrew (New York: Macmillan Press, 1985).
- A Chronology of Medicine and Related Sciences by Leslie T. Morton and Robert J. Moore (Brookfield, Vermont: Ashgate Publishing, 1997).
- The Greatest Benefit to Mankind by Roy Porter (New York: W.W.Norton & Company, 1997).
Primary Sources at History Center
Fulltext Primary Sources
- Google Books - Advanced Book Search
- EEBO - Early English Books Online
- Early American Imprints, 1639-1800
- Project Gutenberg
- Internet Archive
- Biodiversity Heritage Library
- ABU - la Bibliothèque Universelle
- BIUM - Bibliothèque interuniversitaire de médecine et d'ontologie
- GVK - Gemeinsamer Verbundkatalog
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers
Primary Sources; Other Locations
Primary Sources Tools
Contact Historical Curator
- Drew Bourn, PhD, MLIS, CAP profile