DocXpress » Physical Delivery
DocXpress Physical Delivery is an Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service. Lane Medical Library participates in collaborative resource-sharing nationally to provide material you need when Stanford does not own it or when the title is available only in print format.
There is no fee to you for ILL borrowing when requesting items not owned by a Stanford Library.
If material you need is identified in the catalog as stored offsite, please request it through the catalog or through our Pull & Copy service, not through Interlibrary Loan.
Search Socrates, Stanford’s main library catalog, to check all libraries before placing your request.
Items not eligible for physical delivery:
- Bound or complete volumes of journals
- CDs/DVDs, audiotapes
- Some dissertations
- Archival materials
- You will receive an email notification when your request is ready for pickup.
- Materials will be held for 7 days at the Service Desk.
- Check out your item(s) at the Service Desk; do not remove the attached book strap.
- Loans of physical materials from other institutions typically take 7-10 days to arrive.
Renewals are not automatic; renewal policies vary among lenders. Books cannot be renewed at the Service Desk.
To inquire if the material may be renewed:
- Log in to DocXpress and request a renewal or
- Email DocXpress staff at or
- Call 650-725-4584
Books should be returned at the Service Desk. Do not leave at a book drop.
If the material you need is not available from Stanford libraries, there is NO CHARGE for DocXpress Interlibrary Loan service to eligible Stanford School of Medicine students, faculty and staff. (Check your eligibility). However, Lane Medical Library incurs costs for this service averaging $15.00-$20.00 per item, so please request prudently.