Duck Room and Redwood Room Printers Installation
To print from your laptop to the Duck Room and Redwood Room Printers, you need to INSTALL the Pharos Popup software first. Follow the printing instructions (Mac OS, Windows) after installation.
- Double click the downloaded file
- If you get the popup window "Open File-Security Warning", click Run
- Click Install at the "Package "Lane Library Printers" window
- Click Finish after installation finishes
- Open "Control Panel", then "Printers and Faxes", to see if "Lane BW Printers" and "Lane Color Printers" were added
Printing from Windows 7 64-bit is currently under development.
Mac OS X (10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8)
- Double-click the downloaded file to create an installer package Popup.pkg
- Double-click the installer to run it
- Select a startup disk as a destination
- Click Install
- To start printing from Mac, you need to configure a printer (see below)
Configuring Duck Room and Redwood Room Printers (Mac)
- Open System Preferences and click on the Print & Scan icon.
- Click the "+" button.
- Hold down the Control key on the keyboard and click anywhere on the toolbar. From the menu that appears, select Customize Toolbar...
- Drag the Advanced icon to the toolbar and close the customization dialog.
- Click on the Advanced button in the toolbar.
- From the Type drop down menu, select Pharos Print Server.
- In the URL field, enter EITHER "popup://lane-uniprint/BW-queue" or "popup://lane-uniprint/color-queue"
- In the Name field, enter a name for the new printer queue, e.g. Lane printer.
- From the Print Using drop down menu, select "Generic PostScript Printer".
- Click Add. The Popup queue will now show up in the list of printers.
- Check the Duplex Printing Unit checkbox. Click Continue
- To print, select the printer in the print dialog of any application.
Uninstall Pharos Popup
- Launch the Uninstaller application in /Library/Application Support/Pharos/Utilities.
- Select Pharos Popup and all Pharos components that you would like to uninstall, then click Continue.
- A list of the selected items will be shown. Click Continue.
- Type in an administrator user name and password when asked.
- The selected components will be removed from the computer.
Attention Mac OS 10.8 Users!
There is a problem with Pharos Popup client under Mac OS X 10.8.
The Popup window would not open after it worked for the first time. We are awaiting for the updates from the vendor. Meanwhile, please do the following:
- Open System Preferences
- Click on "Users & Groups"
- On the left, under Current User pane, select your account
- On the right, click on "Login Items" tab
- Click the “+” button under the list of Login Items
- Go to the folder /Library/Application Support/Pharos
- Select Popup.app, then click Add button
- The Popup should appear on the list of Login Items
Pharos Popup is not currently compatible with the Fast User Switching feature of Mac OS X. Always disable Fast User Switching when installing it.
If the software firewall (ipfw) on the computer is active, the following ports must be opened for TCP traffic for Popup to work:
The firewall in Mac OS X is disabled by default. If it has not been manually activated, these ports will already be open.