Information Literacy (IL) is a familiar concept in many disciplines around campus, but it is just beginning to take root in academic medicine. Lane is leading an initiative to apply IL principles to biomedicine and incorporate this crucial skill set into the School of Medicine curriculum.
Students of Information literacy, these materials support your Information Literacy curriculum.
Related Agency Websites
Identify, articulate, and communicate knowledge gaps
- Identify knowledge gaps in the course of practicing medicine.
- Articulate answerable clinical questions.
- Communicate patient questions to colleagues, including fellow clinicians and allied health and information professionals.
Navigate one’s information landscape in real-time
- Access a variety of resources (people, articles, patient information, personal expertise, etc.) to gather relevant information.
- Locate information about patient-specific conditions and scenarios, using a variety of multidisciplinary resources.
- Efficiently and ethically procure information outside of one’s current knowledge/experience.
Evaluate information and resources
- Understand sources of bias in clinical research.
- Determine the suitability of a study’s design to the type of question asked.
- Independently assess the reliability of the outcome measures.
- Determine the importance of the outcomes by translating them into meaningful summary statistics.
Apply information to improve the health of individuals and populations
- When making clinical decisions, balance patient factors, best evidence, and personal experience/knowledge.
- Express the relative risks and benefits of treatments and outcomes to patients and colleagues.
- Provide patients with appropriate information.
- Improve patient care by reporting the successful application of information.
- Palliative Care for the Seriously Ill. N Engl J Med
- Nuclear disasters and health: lessons learned, challenges, and proposals. Lancet
- Health effects of radiation and other health problems in the aftermath of nuclear accidents, with an emphasis on Fukushima. Lancet
- Long-term effects of radiation exposure on health. Lancet
- Treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Systematic Review for a National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop. Ann Intern Med
- Diagnostic Methods for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Systematic Review for a National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop. Ann Intern Med