Books by Subject
- 100 cases in surgery. Second edition [2nd ed.] — Emerging technologies in surgery (105)
- Endobronchial ultrasound — Minimally invasive spine surgery. 2nd [completely rev. and expanded] ed. (105)
- Minimally invasive surgery for achilles tendon disorders in clinical practice — SAGES manual (105)
- SAGES manual of hernia repair — Zollinger's Atlas of surgical operations. 9th ed. (104)
- 100 cases in surgery. Second edition [2nd ed.] 2014, CRCnetBASEGeneral and colorectal -- Upper gastrointestinal -- Breast and endocrine -- Vascular -- Urology -- Orthopaedic -- Ear, nose, and throat -- Neurosurgery -- Anaesthesia -- Postoperative complications.
- 3D histology evaluation of dermatologic surgery 2013, SpringerIntroduction -- The Basics for Excision and Flattening -- Embedding and Sectioning -- Dividing Tumors and Topographical Orientation -- Communication with the Lab -- The Aftermath or How to Excise Until Clear Margins -- Variations for Special Locations and Large, Deep Penetrating Tumors -- How to Perform 3D Histology on Different Types of Tumors -- Terminology and Facts.
- ABC of pediatric surgical imaging 2010, Springer
- Abdominal ultrasound for surgeons 2014, SpringerAbdominal Ultrasound for Surgeons provides a comprehensive guide to the use of ultrasonography in surgical practice of abdominal diseases. The content is divided into three major sections focusing on basic principles of ultrasound, ultrasound anatomy and pathology of the abdomen, and employment of ultrasound of the abdomen in surgical practice. A final section is dedicated to the logistics of incorporating ultrasound into a surgical practice. The first section provides an introduction to the principles of ultrasonography focusing on ultrasound physics, equipment, and instrumentation. A detailed approach to the various scanning methods and image interpretation is demonstrated with illustrations, images, and video. The second section focuses on ultrasound anatomy of the abdomen. Each chapter demonstrates the normal and abnormal ultrasound anatomy of specific abdominal organ or organ systems (abdominal wall, liver, pancreas, biliary, stomach, anorectum, retroperitoneum, vascular) with illustrations and images. The current status and technique of endoscopic ultrasound of the upper and lower gastrointestinal tracks is addressed in this section. The third section provides a state-of-the-art review of the status of each major application of abdominal ultrasound in surgery. Topics range from trauma ultrasound and laparoscopic staging to techniques in ultrasound guidance and three-dimensional targeting. This section provides a comprehensive review of the employment of interventional, intraoperative, laparoscopic, transabdominal and endoscopic ultrasound. The fourth and last section addresses the practice aspects of incorporation of ultrasound into a surgical practice. Abdominal Ultrasound for Surgeons will serve as a very useful resource and guide for surgeons and students with little to some experience in ultrasound, including practicing surgeons, surgical fellows, and surgical residents.
- AccessMedicine Lange Case files AccessMedicineClinical cases selected from the LANGE Case Files series, edited by Eugene C. Toy, MD.
- Acute abdomen during pregnancy 2014, SpringerPart I. Surgery -- 1. Acute Appendicitis -- 2. Acute Biliary Tract Diseases -- 3. Acute Pancreatitis -- 4. Nontraumatic Gastroduodenal Perforations -- 5. Symptomatic Abdominal Wall Hernias -- 6. Symptomatic Diaphragmatic Hernia -- 7. Intestinal Obstruction -- 8. Acute Inflammatory Bowel Disease -- 9. Spleen -- 10. Abdominal Trauma -- 11. Miscellaneous Conditions -- Part II. Gynecology -- 12. Adnexal Torsion -- 13. (Isolated) Torsion of the Fallopian Tube -- 14. Ruptured/Bleeding Ovarian Cysts/Tumors -- 15. Ruptured Ectopic Pregnancy -- 16. Spontaneous Uterine Rupture -- 17. Torsion of the Gravid Uterus -- 18. Degenerating Uterine Myomas -- 19. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and Tubo-ovarian Abscess.
- Acute care surgery 2007, SpringerPart I. General Principles -- Initial Assessment and Early Resuscitation / Louis H. Alarcon and Andrew B. Peitzman -- The Operating Theater for Acute Care Surgery / Kenneth L. Mattox -- Anesthesia and Acute Care Surgery / Omid Moayed and Richard P. Dutton -- Fundamental Operative Approaches in Acute Care Surgery / David J. Ciesla and Ernest E. Moore -- The Perioperative Management of the Acute Care Surgical Patient / Craig M. Coopersmith and Timothy G. Buchman -- The Hemodynamically Labile Patient: Cardiovascular Adjuncts and Assist Devices / Edward E. Cornwell and Preeti R. John -- Principles and Practice of Nutritional Support for Surgical Patients / Maheswari Senthil, Bobby Rupani, Jondavid H. Jabush and Edwin A. Deitch -- The Intensive Care Unit: The Next-Generation Operating Room / Philip S. Barie, Soumitra R. Eachempati and Jian Shou -- Burns / Basil A. Pruitt and Richard L. Gamelli -- Electrical and Lightning Injuries / Raphael C. Lee -- Soft Tissue Infections / Anthony A. Meyer, Jeffrey E. Abrams, Thomas L. Bosshardt and Claude H. Organ -- The Open Abdomen: Management from Initial Laparotomy to Definitive Closure / Fred A. Luchette, Stathis J. Poulakidas and Thomas J. Esposito -- Acute Care Surgery and the Elderly / Patrick K. Kim, Donald R. Kauder and C. William Schwab -- Acute Care Surgery in the Rural Setting / Dana Christian Lynge, Nicholas W. Morris and John G. Hunter -- Prehospital Care in the Acute Setting / Norman E. McSwain -- Disaster and Mass Casualty Management / Eric R. Frykberg -- Principles of Injury Prevention and Control / M. Margaret Knudson and Larisa S. Speetzen -- Education: Surgical Simulation in Acute Care Surgery / Lenworth M. Jacobs and Karyl J. Burns -- Part II. Organ-Based Approach -- Pharynx and Larynx / Ernest M. Myers -- Head and Neck: Pediatrics / Reza Rahbar and Gerald B. Healy -- Esophagus / George C. Velmahos, Nahid Hamoui, Peter F. Crookes and Demetrios Demetriades -- Central Nervous System / Peter B. Letarte -- Chest Wall / John C. Mayberry and Donald D. Trunkey -- Lungs and Pleura / Riyad Karmy-Jones and J. Wayne Meredith -- Heart / Matthew S. Slater -- Thoracic Aorta / Peter I. Ellman and Irving L. Kron -- Diaphragm / Michel B. Aboutanos, Therèse M. Duane, Ajai K. Malhotra and Rao R. Ivatury -- Abdominal Wall / Jeffrey A. Claridge and Martin A. Croce -- Foregut / Philip E. Donahue-- Small Intestine / Juliet Lee, Todd Ponsky and Jeffrey L. Ponsky -- Liver and Biliary Tract / Spiros P. Hiotis and Hersch L. Pachter -- Pancreas / Juan A. Asensio, Patrizio Petrone and L. D. Britt -- Spleen / L. D. Britt -- Intraabdominal Vasculature / George H. Meier and Hosam F. El Sayed -- Colon and Rectum / Herand Abcarian -- Urogenital Tract / Nejd F. Alsikafi, Sean P. Elliott, Maurice M. Garcia and Jack W. McAninch -- Pelvis / Craig M. Rodner and Bruce D. Browner -- Lower Extremities / Tina A. Maxian and Michael J. Bosse -- Hand and Upper Extremities / David T. Netscher and Idris Gharbaoui -- Peripheral Vasculature / David V. Feliciano -- Part III. Administration, Ethics, and Law -- Understanding the Latest Changes in EMTALA: Our Country's Emergency Care Safety Net / Thomas R. Russell -- Informed Surgical Consent / Linda S. Laibstain and Robert C. Nusbaum -- Advance Directives / David G. Jacobs -- The Nonviable Patient and Organ Procurement / Frederic J. Cole, Jay N. Collins and Leonard J. Weireter -- Ethical Dilemmas and the Law / Ira J. Kodner, Daniel M. Freeman, Robb R. Whinney and Douglas J. E. Schuerer -- Part IV. System and Curriculum Development -- Development of a Regional System for Surgical Emergencies (RSSE) / A. Brent Eastman, David B. Hoyt and J. Wayne Meredith -- Acute Care Surgery: A Proposed Curriculum / L. D. Britt and Michael F. Rotondo -- Emergency General Surgery: The Vanderbilt Model / José J. Diaz, Oscar D. Guillamondegui and John A. Morris -- Part V. The International Communities -- Acute Care Surgery: United Kingdom / Bernard F. Ribeiro, Simon Paterson-Brown, Murat Akyol, Michael Walsh and Andrew Sim, et al. -- Acute Care Surgery: Australia / Thomas Kossmann and Ilan S. Freedman -- Acute Care Surgery: Japan / Kyoichi Takaori and Nobuhiko Tanigawa.
- Advanced concepts in surgical research 2012, Thieme1. Factorial Randomized Trials -- Summary -- Introduction -- Randomized clinical trial design strategies with multiple interventions -- Selecting a factorial randomized design -- Conclusion -- 2. Expertise-based randomized trials -- Summary -- Introduction -- Conventional RCT design -- Expertise-based RCT design -- Challenges of expertise-based RCTs -- Independent assessor -- Balanced and consecutive or random contributions to screening pool -- Perceived equivalence between practices -- Conclusion -- 3. Randomization systems and technology -- Summary -- Introduction -- Methods of patient allocation -- Other considerations -- Conclusion -- 4. Blinding and concealment -- Summary -- Introduction -- Concealment -- Blinding -- Conclusion -- 5. Composite outcome in orthopaedics: understanding the concepts -- Summary -- Introduction -- Rationale for use of a composite outcome -- Limitations of using composite outcomes -- Guidelines for creating a "good" composite outcome -- Reporting and interpreting composite outcomes -- Conclusion -- 6. Adjudication of outcomes-systems and approaches -- Summary -- Introduction -- Importance of adjudication -- Process of adjudication -- Existing methods of adjudication -- Web-based adjudication -- Conclusion -- 7. Subgroup analyses -- Summary -- Introduction -- Subgroup analysis defined -- Design of a subgroup analysis -- Reporting -- Interpretation -- Conclusion -- 8. Trial management-advance concepts and systems -- Summary -- Introduction -- Phases of clinical trials -- Common considerations in conducting a clinical trial -- Trial committees -- The search for funding -- Conclusion 9. Case-control studies -- Summary -- Introduction -- Definition of a case-control study -- Conclusion -- 10. Cohort studies -- Summary -- Introduction -- Cohort studies in the hierarchy of evidence -- Types of cohort study designs -- Methods for reducing confounding and assessing causality -- A checklist to evaluate or improve the strength of evidence -- Conclusion --; 11. Survey Design -- Summary -- Introduction -- Identifying a research question -- Survey development -- Survey design -- Using exiting surveys -- survey validataion -- Pilot testing -- Survey administration -- Ethical considerations -- Financial considerations -- Conclusion -- 12. Qualitative studies -- Summary -- Introduction -- What is qualitative research? -- How is qualitative research done? -- Conclusion -- 13. Economic analysis -- Summary -- Introduction -- Theoretical background -- Conducting health economics studies -- Conclusion -- 14. Literature searches -- Summary -- Introduction -- When to conduct a literature search -- How to conduct a literature search -- Study selection -- Assessing methodological quality of studies -- Data extraction and analysis -- Conclusion -- 15. Summary -- Introduction -- the P value does not assess the magnitude of a treatment effect -- The challenge of comparing results across studies -- Types of effect sizes -- Confidence intervals for effect sizes -- Use of effect size in meta-analysis -- Conclusion -- 16. Fixed effects versus random effects -- Summary -- Introduction -- the data pool: fixed effects versus random effects -- Deciding which model to use -- Conclusion -- 17. Heterogeneity -- Summary -- Introduction -- Heterogeneity defined -- Identifying heterogeneity -- Dealing with heterogeneity -- Conclusion -- 18. Uncovering publicatiion bias -- Summary -- Introduction -- Authors and publication bias -- Detecting and adjusting for publication bias -- Minimizing the effect of publication bias -- A possible solution: trial registers -- Conclusion -- 19. Statiecal pooling - programs and systems -- Summary -- Introduction -- Selectin the appropriate programs and systems: factors to consider --Review of programs and systems -- Types of programs and systems -- Recommendations -- Conclusion -- 20. Meta-analysis of observational studies -- Summary -- Introduction -- The observational data dilemma -- Conclusion -- 21. Meta-regression -- Summary -- Introduction -- Heterogeneity and meta-regression -- Meta-regression mechanics -- Interpreting a meta-regression -- Limitations of meta-regression -- Conclusion -- 22. Preparing a statistical analysis plan -- Summary -- Introduction -- Data management -- Statistical procedures -- Data safety and monitoring board -- Sample size -- Interim analysis -- Reports to investigators -- Sensitivity analysis -- Tables of presentation and publication -- Software -- Reporting guidelines -- General policies -- Privacy considerations -- Apendices -- What is in the literature about SAP? -- Conclusion --; 24. Survival analysis -- Summary -- Introduction -- Documenting time-to-event (survival) data -- the rationale for time-to-event (survival) analysis -- Methods for survival analysis -- Comparing groups -- Practical considerations in the desin of time-to-event studies -- Conclusion -- 25. Interim analyses in randomized trials -- Summary -- Introduction -- Interim analysis defined -- Design of an interim analysis -- Data monitoring committees -- Consequences of stopping early for benefit -- Conclusion -- 26. Conflicts of interest reporting -- Summary -- Introduction -- Legal implications -- Types of conflict of interest -- Who should disclose conflicts of interest? -- When must conflicts of interest be disclosed? -- Guidelines and recommendations for disclosure -- Why must personal financial interests be disclosed? -- Alternatives to disclosure policies -- Conclusion -- 27. Authorship-modern approaches and reporting -- Summary -- Introduction -- Academic stream -- Educational stream -- Industrial stream -- Popular media stream -- Conclusion -- 28. Randomized trials reporting checklists -- Summary -- Introduction -- Consort statement -- Nonpharmacological trials -- NPT extension to consort statement -- CLEAR NPT -- Conclusion -- 29. Observational studies reporting checklists -- Summary -- Introduction -- Checklist for observational studies: the STROBE statement -- Guide to investigators: how to used the STROBE statement -- The STROBE statement: explanations of checklist items -- Conclusion -- 30. Meta-analysis reporting checklists -- Summary -- Introduction -- Meta-analysis reporting checklists -- Conclusion -- Resources and contacts for surgical research -- Summary -- Introduction -- Mentorship -- Graduate programes -- Online courses -- Textbooks and journals -- Courses and workshops -- Contract research organizations -- Conclusion -- Glossary of terms.
- Advanced cosmetic otoplasty 2013, SpringerIn this book, international experts present up-to-date techniques of otoplasty in which they have extensive personal experience. Both new and modified procedures are described with the aid of a wealth of high-quality illustrations. In addition to these detailed descriptions, ear embryology and anatomy, psychological issues, postoperative care, possible risks and complications, and outcomes are extensively covered in order to provide the reader with a state of the art account of all aspects of cosmetic otoplasty.
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery. 2nd ed. 2010, SpringerGeneral concepts -- Cholecystectomy -- Common bile duct explorations and bilioenteric anastomosis -- Laparoscopic liver surgery -- Esophageal surgery -- Gastric surgery -- Appendectomy -- Colorectal procedures -- Small bowel obstruction -- Inguinal hernia repair -- Incisional and ventral hernia repair including component separation -- Splenectomy (total and partial) and splenopancreatectomy -- Adrenalectomy -- Bariatric surgery -- Single-access laparoscopic surgery (SALS) -- Advanced laparoscopic suturing techniques.
- Advanced surgical facial rejuvenation 2012, Springer
- Advances in laparoscopy of the abdominal wall hernia 2014, SpringerWith an increase in the use of laparoscopic techniques for the treatment of abdominal wall hernias, this comprehensive book provides a detailed description of the most up-to-date techniques used in the laparoscopic repair of inguinal and ventral incisional hernias. Advances in Laparoscopy of the Abdominal Wall Hernia takes the reader step-by-step through two laparoscopic techniques used in inguinal hernia correction: Extraperitoneal (TEP) and Transabdominal (TAPP), and guides the reader through the fundamentals of ventral hernia repair. The authors aim to show methods of dealing with rarer hernias and those of atypical location. This book will also inform the reader of the various kinds of meshes used and provides knowledge on how to fix them, as well as the advantages, disadvantages and indications of this type of prosthesis. Written by experts in the field, Advances in Laparoscopy of the Abdominal Wall Hernia is a valuable reference tool to surgeons and medical practitioners working in this field.
- Advances in reconstructive vaginal surgery 2007, Ovid
- Aesthetic surgery of the abdominal wall 2005, Springer
- Aesthetic surgery of the facial mosaic 2007, Springer
- Anatomic basis of tumor surgery. 2nd ed. 2010, Springer
- Anesthesia and perioperative care for aortic surgery 2011, SpringerApplied anatomy of the aorta -- Acute aortic syndrome -- Preoperative cardiac evaluation before aortic surgery -- Role of echocardiography in aortic surgery -- Operative techniques in surgery of the proximal thoracic aorta and aortic arch -- Anesthesia for surgery of the ascending aorta and aortic arch -- Deep hypothermic circulatory arrest -- Cerebral monitoring during aortic surgery -- Understanding open repair of the descending thoracic and thoracoabdominal aorta -- Anesthesia for descending aortic surgery -- Spinal cord protection strategies -- Understanding endovascular aortic surgery: Endovascular repair of aortic aneurysmal disease -- Anesthesia for endovascular aortic surgery -- Anesthesia for open abdominal aortic aneurysm repair -- Renal protection strategies -- Comprehansive management of patients with traumatic aortic injury -- Anesthesia for adult congenital aortic surgery -- Atherosclerosis of the aorta and prevention of neurological dysfunction after cardiac surgery -- Postoperative care after aortic surgery.
- Anesthesia in cosmetic surgery 2007, CambridgePropofol ketamine with bispectral index (BIS) monitoring / Barry L. Friedberg -- Preoperative instructions, intraoperative environment / Barry L. Friedberg -- Level-of-consciousness monitoring / Scott D. Kelley -- The dissociative effect and preemptive analgesia / Barry L. Friedberg -- Special needs of cosmetic dental patients / James A. Snyder -- Propofol Ketamine in the UK, Propofol Ketamine beyond cosmetic surgery / Chris Pollock -- Propofol Ketamine beyond cosmetic surgery : implications for military medicine and mass-casualty anesthesia / Joel W. McMasters -- Lidocaine use and toxicity in cosmetic surgery / Adam Frederic Dorin -- Local anesthetic blocks in head and neck surgery / Joseph Niamtu -- Local anesthetics and surgical considerations for body contouring / Roger Wade Pielet -- Intravenous anesthesia for cosmetic surgery / David Barinholtz -- Regional anesthesia for cosmetic surgery / Holly Evans and Susan M. Steele -- General inhalation anesthesia for cosmetic surgery / Meena Desai -- Preanesthetic assessment of the cosmetic surgery patient / Norman Levin -- Psychological aspects of cosmetic surgery / David B. Sarwer, Canice E. Crerand, and Lauren M. Gibbons -- The business of the office-based anesthesia for cosmetic surgery / Marc E. Koch -- The politics of office-based anesthesia / David Barinholtz -- Staying out of trouble : the medicolegal perspective / Ann Lofsky.
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction 2014, SpringerThis practical and instructional guidebook, written by international experts in anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction, covers all challenging aspects of ACL rupture in the acute and chronic setting. It covers the latest, spectacular anatomical findings, treatment of partial ACL tears, various techniques for single- and double-bundle ACL reconstruction, and complex ACL revision surgery. Important surgical steps are clearly described with the help of instructive, high-quality photographs. Important tips, tricks, and pitfalls are highlighted and intra- and postoperative complications, rehabilitation, and prevention of re-rupture are discussed. All authors are prominent and experienced ACL surgeons.
- Aortic root surgery 2010, Springer
- Artificial organs 2009, Springer
- ASCRS manual of colon and rectal surgery 2009, Springer
- ASCRS manual of colon and rectal surgery. Second edition. 2014, SpringerThe ASCRS Manual of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Second Edition is designed to provide a rapid access pocket reference for residents, fellows, private clinicians, and allied health professionals caring for patients with colorectal surgical diseases. The Manual, abstracted from the ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Second Edition, is intended to impart succinct, clinically relevant information for daily patient care. The chapters take an evidence-based approach and many provide ASCRS practice parameters. The contents are presented consistently, with concise overviews of the most clinically relevant topics. The disease chapters discuss etiology, anatomic considerations, patient evaluation, lab results, imaging, diagnosis and treatment. The surgical chapters address these same issues, in addition to discussion of minimally invasive versus open techniques, possible complications, and perioperative care. The Manual also includes anatomical and technique drawings, operative photos and algorithms. Concise yet comprehensive, The ASCRS Manual of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Second Edition is very useful for physicians and researchers dealing with diseases of the colon and rectum.
- ASCRS textbook of colon and rectal surgery 2007, Springer
- ASCRS textbook of colon and rectal surgery. 2nd ed. 2011, Springer
- Atlas of advanced endoaortic surgery 2013, SpringerThe Cardiovascular Hybrid Operating Room -- Advanced Computed Tomography Imaging, Workstations, and Planning Tools -- Intravascular Ultrasound Applications for Endoaortic Surgery --Jacques Kpodonu and Stéphan Haulon -- Devices and Accessories in Endoaortic Surgery -- Access Techniques -- Spinal Cord Protection -- Endovascular Applications for Abdominal Aortic Pathologies -- Endovascular Applications for Aortoiliac Pathologies -- Endovascular Applications for Thoracic Aortic Pathologies -- Endovascular Applications for Thoracoabdominal Pathologies -- Endovascular Applications for Arch-Aortic Pathologies -- Complications in Endoaortic Surgery: Endoleaks After Endovascular Repair of the Abdominal Aorta -- Future Technology and Customized Solutions for Endoaortic Surgery.
- Atlas of breast surgery 2006, Springer
- Atlas of Digestive Endoscopic Resection 2014, Springer
- Atlas of intestinal stomas 2012, SpringerIntestinal Stomas: Historical Overview --Gastrointestinal Anatomy --Structure and Function of the Large Bowel --Physiologic and Metabolic Effects of Intestinal Stomas --Quality of Life of the Ostomate --Wound, Ostomy, and Continence/Enterostomal Therapy (WOC/ET) Nursing --Ileostomy --Medical Management of the High-Output Enterostomy and Enterocutaneous Fistula --Intestinal Stomas and the Biliary Tree --Continent Ileostomy --Colostomy: Types, Indications, Formation, and Reversal --Laparoscopic Ostomy Surgery --Ostomies in Trauma --CCF Color Photo Gallery --Stomas Via Percutaneous Endoscopy --Gastrointestinal Stomas in Infants and Children --Antegrade Colonic Enema (ACE) --Urinary Stomas --Enterocutaneous Fistula --Parastomal Hernia --Surgical Treatment of Peristomal Skin Conditions --Stoma Prolapse --Challenging Stomas.
- Atlas of lacrimal surgery 2007, Springer
- Atlas of minimally invasive surgery in esophageal carcinoma 2010, Springer
- Atlas of robotic urologic surgery 2011, Springer
- This atlas presents an extensive collection of single-incision laparoscopic operations in general surgery performed from 2008 to 2013 in Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University. 2000 operations are reported in it. All the figures in it were collected using real time recordings of the operations which will be particularly interesting to the readers. In each specific surgery, authors provide its key surgical steps, complications and management and contraindication. This atlas is intended for clinical surgeons who can evolve these operations soon after reading about them. Patients will also benefit from this book because of the combination of minimal invasiveness and cosmetic effect of single-incision laparoscopic surgery. Editor Shuodong Wu is a professor serves as Director of the Department of Minimal Invasive and Biliary Surgery, Shengjing Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang, China. Editor Ying Fan and Yu Tian are associate professors at the same hospital.
- Atlas of single-port, laparoscopy, and robotic surgery 2014, SpringerMinimally invasive surgery has become the standard treatment for many diseases and conditions. In the last decade, numerous studies have demonstrated that laparoscopic approaches have improved patients quality of life if compared with standard open procedures. Atlas of Single-Port, Laparoscopic, and Robotic Surgery serves as a guide in single-port, standard laparoscopy, and robotic surgery and shows how novel techniques, such as single-port laparoscopy and robotics, have recently evolved. The atlas illustrates the unique challenges that the new single-port surgery modality presents, including instruments crowding and articulation, and the advanced laparoscopic skills required to perform these procedures, such as the ability to move and control a flexible camera. It also illustrates how to efficiently and safely utilize the robot to perform most gynecologic procedures. This exceptional resource provides students, residents, fellows, operating room personnel, and practicing gynecologic surgeons with invaluable information about instrumentation, surgical technique, port systems, and the current research and development in robotics.
- Bariatric and metabolic surgery 2014, SpringerBariatric and metabolic surgery is recognized to be an important and effective option for the treatment of severe obesity and the various associated conditions and diseases, such as type II diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular dysfunction, dyslipidemia, and obstructive sleep apnea. Despite its established value, however, there is scope for further improvement in safety and in the quality of the surgical techniques, and calls have therefore been made for the establishment of standard techniques and procedures. This book accordingly presents state of the art knowledge on bariatric and metabolic surgery with the aim of facilitating the sharing and exchange of knowledge, documenting effective techniques, and enhancing safety and outcomes. All technical aspects are covered in detail, and the text is complemented by many helpful illustrations. A further key feature is the provision of accompanying surgical videos, which will be of value to both novice and experienced surgeons. This textbook will be a great asset in clinical practice for all who are involved or interested in bariatric and metabolic surgery.
- Basic techniques in pediatric surgery 2013, SpringerPart A. Basic surgical techniques -- Part B. Head and neck -- Part C. Spine and limbs -- Part D. Thorax -- Part E. Abdomen -- Part F. Groin and genitalia -- Part G. Urology -- Part H. Perineum -- Part I. Minimally invasive surgery -- Appendix. Training in paediatric surgery -- Subject Index.
- Biliary tract and gallbladder cancer. Second edition. 2014, SpringerThe second edition of this book is intended as a definitive text on biliary tract and gallbladder cancers. Specifically, it will serve as a single-source reference on the current knowledge base for the multidisciplinary management of such cancers and thus covers epidemiological, surgical, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy approaches. Akey feature is the demonstration of the impact of cutting-edge technical knowledge on treatment; for example, interventional radiology techniques, novel surgical approaches, and image-guided radiation therapy are all extensively discussed. Diagnosis is also considered in detail, with coverage of novel serum biomarkers, pathologic staging, molecular profiling, and the full range of current and emerging imaging strategies. Further chapters are devoted to epidemiology, the role of growth factor pathways and signal transduction, and histopathology and molecular pathogenesis. Experienced practitioners in a range of specialties will find this amply illustrated book to be an invaluable source of information on the newest diagnostic and treatment techniques in biliary tract and gallbladder cancer, yet it is also sufficiently concise to offer an introduction to the field for students and community practitioners.
- Biomaterials for surgical operation 2012, Springer1. Introduction -- 2. Biological Events Associated with Surgical Operation -- 3. Bioabsorbable Polymers -- 4. Sealants (Adhesives) to Prevent Bleeding -- 5. Barriers to Prevent Tissue Adhesion -- 6. Devices for Bone Fixation -- 7. Growth Factors for Promoting Wound Healing -- 8. Sutures for Wound Closure -- 9. Conclusions.
- Biotechnology in surgery 2011, Springer
- Bisphosphonates and osteonecrosis of the jaw 2012, Springer1. Introduction / Robert E. Marx -- 2. Pharmacology: Mechanism of Action of Bisphosphonates / Angelina De Sarro and Letteria Minutoli -- 3. Use of Bisphosphonates in Oncology / Giuseppe Altavilla, Grazia Marabello, Chiara Tomasello and Vincenzo Pitini -- 4. Use of Bisphosphonates in Hematology / Caterina Musolino and Alessandro Allegra -- 5. Use of Bisphosphonates in Osteoporosis / Angelina De Sarro and Letteria Minutoli -- 6. Biomorphology in BIONJ: Anatomy and Histology / Giuseppina Cutroneo -- 7. Etiopathogenesis and Clinical Aspects of BIONJ / Santino Ferrara, Laura Vuolo, Annamaria Colao and Luigi Califano -- 8. Instrumental Diagnosis / Silvio Mazziotti, Achille Mileto, Michele Gaeta, Giorgio Ascenti, Ignazio Salamone, Carmela Visalli and Alfredo Blandino -- 9. Microbiological Aspects of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw / Stefania Leuci, Marco Friscia and Michele Davide Mignogna -- 10. Prevention and the Role of the Dentist / Giacomo Oteri -- 11. Conservative Treatment: Oxygen-Ozone Therapy / Alessandro Agrillo -- 12. Conservative Treatment: LASER (Biostimulation and Minimally Invasive Surgical Treatment) / Paolo Vescovi -- 13. Minimally Invasive Surgical Treatment / Claudio Marchetti, Gian Andrea Pelliccioni, Filippo Moretti, Francesco Saverio De Ponte, Giuseppe Lombardo and Carla Nava -- 14. Major Surgery in BIONJ / Luciano Catalfamo, Carla Nava, Giuseppe Lombardo and Francesco Saverio De Ponte -- 15. BRONJ: The Future / Salvatore L. Ruggiero.
- Blumgart's surgery of the liver, biliary tract, and pancreas. 5th ed. 2012, ScienceDirect
- Bodies in formation 2013, ebraryIn Bodies in Formation, anthropologist Rachel Prentice enters surgical suites increasingly packed with new medical technologies to explore how surgeons are made in the early twenty-first century.
- Bone and joint injuries 2014, SpringerAll European countries, including those that have recently joined the European Union or are candidates for membership, currently show a clear trend towards an increasing number of accidental injuries. This holds true for a range of injuries, including accidents among the elderly, sports injuries, and trauma due to traffic accidents. The increase in the number of injuries is accompanied by rising expectations among patients, who anticipate good functional results even after serious injuries. Despite these developments, trauma surgery is not yet established as an independent field in all European countries. Against this background, there is a clear need for a book that covers the state of the art in trauma surgery. This volume, which focuses on bone and joint injuries orthopedic trauma is intended to help to meet this need. It will also serve to harmonize the practice of trauma surgery within the European Union and to prepare for the UEMS EBSQ trauma surgery.
- Brain protection in cardiac surgery 2011, SpringerMolecular and biochemical basis of brain injury following heart surgery: interventions for the future -- Cardiopulmonary bypass circuit and the brain -- Neurological and cognitive sequelae of cardiac surgery -- Neurocognitive decline following cardiac surgery: incidence, risk factors, prevention, and outcomes -- Neuropathology of brain injury in cardiac surgery -- Biochemical markers of brain injury -- Pitfalls of neuropsychometric assessment and alternative investigative approaches -- Imaging of the brain in cardiac surgery as a tool in brain protection studies -- Current techniques of emboli detection and their utility in brain protection studies -- Intraoperative brain monitoring in cardiac surgery -- Near-infrared spectroscopy monitoring in cardiac surgery: theory, practice, and utility -- The design and methodology of clinical studies on neuroprotection in cardiac surgery -- Temperature and brain protection in cardiac surgery -- Studies of nonpharmacological interventions to reduce brain injury -- Pharmacological studies to reduce brain injury in cardiac surgery -- Off-pump and on-pump coronary artery surgery and the brain -- Experimental basis and clinical studies of brain protection in pediatric heart surgery -- Experimental basis and clinical studies of brain protection in aortic arch surgery -- The future of brain protection in cardiac surgery.
- Breast, endocrine and surgical oncology 2014, SpringerWritten by internationally acclaimed specialists, Breast, Endocrine and Surgical Oncology provides pertinent and concise procedure descriptions spanning benign and malignant problems and minimally invasive procedures. Complications are reviewed when appropriate for the organ system and problem, creating a book that is both comprehensive and accessible. Stages of operative approaches with relevant technical considerations are outlined in an easily understandable manner. The text is illustrated throughout by photographs that depict anatomic or technical principles. Forming part of the series, Surgery: Complications, Risks and Consequences, this volume Breast, Endocrine and Surgical Oncology provides a valuable resource for all general surgeons and residents in training. Other healthcare providers will also find this a useful resource.
- Cardiac surgery in the adult. 4th ed. 2012, AccessSurgery
- Cardio-thoracic, vascular, renal and transplant surgery 2014, SpringerWritten by "internationally acclaimed" specialists, Cardio-Thoracic, Vascular, Renal and Transplant Surgery provides pertinent and concise procedure descriptions spanning benign and malignant problems and minimally invasive procedures. Complications are reviewed when appropriate for the organ system and problem, creating a book that is both comprehensive and accessible. Stages of operative approaches with relevant technical considerations are outlined in an easily understandable manner. Forming part of the series, Surgery: Complications, Risks and Consequences, this volume Cardio-Thoracic, Vascular, Renal and Transplant Surgery provides a valuable resource for all general surgeons and residents in training. Other healthcare providers will also find this a useful resource.
- Cardiothoracic surgery in the elderly 2011, SpringerPart 1. General Aspects of Care -- Invited Commentary / Ronnie A. Rosenthal -- The Epidemiology and Economics of Cardiothoracic Surgery in the Elderly / David A. Etzioni and Vaughn A. Starnes -- Principles of Geriatric Surgery / Mark R. Katlic -- Geriatric Models of Care / Elizabeth A. Capezuti, Patricia Ursomanno, Marie Boltz and Hongsoo Kim -- Delirium After Cardiac Surgery / James L. Rudolph -- Cardiac Rehabilitation in the Elderly / Carl I. Gonzales and Lois A. Killewich -- Legal Aspects of Geriatric Surgery / Marshall B. Kapp -- Ethical Issues in Cardiothoracic Surgery for the Elderly / Susan M. Hecker and Robert M. Sade -- Acute Pain Control in Geriatric Patients After Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeries / Jack M. Berger, Tawfik Ayoub and Jayeshkumar Patel -- Palliative Care in the Elderly / Geoffrey P. Dunn -- Cardiopulmonary Trauma in the Elderly / Jay Menaker and Thomas M. Scalea -- Imaging Features of the Normal Aging Chest / Carol C. Wu and Jo-Anne O. Shepard -- Cardiac Imaging in the Elderly / Faisal Nabi, Dipan J. Shah, Stephen H. Little and Su Min Chang -- Part 2. Physiologic Changes -- Invited Commentary / Michael E. Zenilman -- Biology of Aging / Huber R. Warner -- Hematologic Disorders in the Elderly / Ilene C. Weitz -- Anticoagulation in the Older Surgical Patient / M. Kate Elfrey and Susan J. Zieman -- Medication Usage in Older Cardiothoracic Surgical Patients / Richard A. Marottoli, Sean M. Jeffery and Roshini C. Pinto-Powell -- Wound Healing in the Elderly / Christopher G. Engeland and Praveen K. Gajendrareddy -- Pulmonary Changes in the Elderly / Keenan A. Hawkins and Ravi Kalhan -- Cardiac Changes in the Elderly / Wilbert S. Aronow and William H. Frishman -- Renal Changes in the Elderly / Carlos G. Musso and Dimitrios G. Oreopoulos -- Gastrointestinal and Liver Changes in the Elderly / Vadim Sherman, John A. Primomo and F. Charles Brunicardi --Neurologic and Cognitive Changes in the Elderly / J. Riley McCarten -- Hormonal Changes During and After Cardiac Surgery / Marcello Maggio, Chiara Cattabiani and Gian Paolo Ceda -- Part 3. Cardiac Surgery -- Invited Commentary / William A. Baumgartner -- Preoperative Evaluation and Preparation in the Elderly Cardiac Surgery Patient / Joseph C. Cleveland -- Cardiac Anesthesia in the Elderly / Eric W. Nelson and James H. Abernathy -- Postoperative and Critical Care in the Elderly Cardiac Surgery Patient / Christopher J. Barreiro, Kerry J. Stewart and Glenn Whitman -- Surgery for Ischemic Coronary Disease in the Elderly / Margarita T. Camacho and Melissa L. Wong -- Surgical Treatment of Aortic Valve Disease in the Elderly / Vinod H. Thourani and Robert A. Guyton -- Surgical Treatment of Mitral Valve Disease in the Elderly / Maqsood M. Elahi and Kenton J. Zehr -- Surgical Treatment of Thoracic Aortic Disease in the Elderly / Arnar Geirsson -- Surgical Treatment of Pericardial Disease in the Elderly / Joshua Kindelan and Alberto de Hoyos -- Pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators in the Elderly / Luciana Armaganijan and Jeff S. Healey -- Heart Transplantation and Mechanical Assistance in the Elderly / Edwin C. McGee -- Part 4. Thoracic Surgery -- Invited Commentary / Joseph LoCicero -- Preoperative Evaluation and Preparation in the Elderly Thoracic Surgery Patient / Ticiana Leal, Noelle K. LoConte, Anai Kothari and Tracey L. Weigel -- Thoracic Anesthesia in the Elderly / Anne C. Kolker -- Postoperative and Critical Care in the Elderly Thoracic Surgery Patient / Brannon R. Hyde and Joseph B. Zwischenberger -- Adjuvant Therapy for Lung Cancer in the Elderly / Jared Weiss and Corey J. Langer -- Pulmonary Surgery for Malignant Disease in the Elderly / Sarah E. Billmeier and Michael T. Jaklitsch -- Benign Thoracic Disease in the Elderly / Rita A. Mukhtar and Pierre R. Theodore -- Lung Transplantation in the Elderly / Juan J. Fibla, Sandra C. Tomaszek and Stephen D. Cassivi -- Esophageal Surgery for Malignant Disease in the Elderly / Philip A. Rascoe and John C. Kucharczuk -- Esophageal Surgery for Benign Disease in the Elderly / Rose E. Hardin, Katie S. Nason and James D. Luketich -- Surgery for Mediastinal Disease in the Elderly / Cameron D. Wright -- Surgery for Pleural Disease in the Elderly / Raja M. Flores and Naveed Z. Alam -- Surgery for Chest Wall Disease in the Elderly / Daniel L. Miller -- Surgery of the Trachea and Bronchi in the Elderly / Douglas J. Mathisen and Ashok Muniappan.
- Cardiovascular surgery 2006 2007, HighWire
- Cardiovascular surgery 2007 2008, HighWire
- Cartilage restoration 2014, SpringerAttempting to bridge the gap between the science and art of cartilage restoration, Cartilage Restoration: Practical Clinical Applications combines an overview of clinical research and methodologies with clinical cases to help guide the orthopedic treatment and care of patients presenting with cartilage issues. With chapters written by internationally-renowned orthopedic surgeons, topics include an overview of current surgical options, debridement and marrow stimulation, autograft plug transfer, allografts, cell therapy, and meniscal issues. Cartilage Restoration is a valuable resource for orthopedic surgeons, residents, and fellows.
- Catheter-based cardiovascular interventions 2013, SpringerOperator skills, and in particular decision-making and strategic skills, are the most critical factor for the outcome of catheter-based cardiovascular interventions. Currently, such skills are commonly developed by the empirical trial and error method only. In this textbook, for the first time, an explicit teaching, training, and learning approach is set out that will enable interventional operators, whether cardiologists, vascular surgeons, vascular specialists, or radiologists, to learn about and to develop the cognitive skills required in order to achieve consistent expert-level catheter-based interventions. It is anticipated that adoption of this approach will allow catheter-based interventions to become a domain of excellence, with rapid transfer of knowledge, steep learning curves, and highly efficient acquisition of complex skills by individual operators -- all of which are essential if we are to meet successfully the challenges of modern cardiovascular care embedded in highly competitive health care markets.
- Cerebral angiography. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2014, SpringerThis revised and enlarged edition of Cerebral Angiography, which includes new angiographic studies and illustrative drawings, offers detailed guidance on diagnostic use of the procedure. The first part of the book describes the normal anatomy of the cerebral arteries and veins, with attention to morphological aspect, embryological development, function, and vascular territories. The intraorbital and extracranial vascularization is also considered. The reader will gain a sound knowledge of normal vascular anatomy and its variations that will serve as a basis for the correct interpretation of pathological processes and their clinical significance, as covered in the second part of the book. Among the pathologies considered are vascular abnormalities, including angiomas, fistulas and aneurysms; atherosclerotic and non-atherosclerotic stenosis and occlusion of the cerebral vessels; venous thrombosis; intraorbital and extracranial vascular malformations. Pathogenesis, morphological and dynamic aspects, responsible for clinical symptoms and influencing the therapy are described. While the emphasis throughout is on the diagnostic value of cerebral angiography, many examples of endovascular treatment in different pathological situations are also presented, with discussion of indications, risks and results.
- Changing aspects in stroke surgery 2008, Springer
- Chassin's Operative strategy in colon and rectal surgery 2006, SpringerPart I. Large Intestine -- Concepts in Surgery of the Large Intestine / Danny M. Takanishi and Fabrizio Michelassi -- Right Colectomy for Cancer -- Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy / Steven D. Wexner and Susan M. Cera -- Left Colectomy for Cancer -- Laparoscopic Left Hemicolectomy / Steven D. Wexner -- Low Anterior Resection for Rectal Cancer -- Abdominoperineal Resection for Rectal Cancer -- Laparoscopic Abdominoperineal Resection and Total Proctocolectomy with End Ileostomy / Steven D. Wexner and Giovanna M. DaSilva -- Subtotal Colectomy with Ileoproctostomy or Ileostomy and Sigmoid Mucous Fistula -- Ileoanal Anastomosis with Ileal Reservoir Following Total Colectomy and Mucosal Proctectomy -- Abdominoperineal Protectomy for Benign Disease -- End-Ileostomy -- Loop Ileostomy -- Cecostomy -- Surgical Legacy Technique -- Transverse Colostomy -- Closure of Temporary Colostomy -- Laparoscopic Stoma Construction and Closure / Dan Enger Ruiz and Steven D. Wexner -- Operations for Colonic Diverticulitis (Including Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding) -- Ripstein Operation for Rectal Prolapse -- Part II. Anus, Rectum, and Pilonidal Region -- Concepts in Surgery of the Anus, Rectum, and Pilonidal Region / Amanda M. Metcalf -- Rubber Band Ligation of Internal Hemorrhoids -- Hemorrhoidectomy -- Anorectal Fistula and Pelvirectal Abscess -- Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy for Chronic Anal Fissure -- Anoplasty for Anal Stenosis -- Thiersch Operation for Rectal Prolapse Surgical Legacy Technique -- Operations for Pilonidal Disease.
- Chassin's Operative strategy in esophageal surgery 2006, Springer
- Chronic postsurgical pain 2014, Springer
- Classic papers in orthopaedics 2014, Springer
- Cleft lip and palate 2012, KargerEpidemiology of oral clefts 2011: an international perspective / Mossey, P.A., Modell, B. -- Genetic and environmental factors in human cleft lip and palate / Vieira, A.R. -- The mouse as a developmental model for cleft lip and palate research / Gritli-Linde, A. -- Hedgehog signalling in development of the secondary palate / Cobourne, M.T., Green, J.B.A. -- Roles of BMP signaling pathway in lip and palate development / Parada, C., Chai, Y. -- Development of the lip and palate : FGF signalling / Stanier, P., Pauws, E. -- Wnt signaling in lip and palate development / He, F., Chen, Y. -- Treatment outcome for children born with cleft lip and palate / Sandy, J., Kilpatrick, N.; Ireland, A. -- Surgical correction of cleft lip and palate / Jayaram, R., Huppa, C. -- Orthodontic treatment in the management of cleft lip and palate / Cash, A.C. -- Alveolar bone grafting / Semb, G. -- Speech and language in the patient with cleft palate / Mildinhall, S. -- Future directions : molecular approaches provide insights into palatal clefting and repair / Liu, K.J.
- Cleft lip and palate. Third edition. [3rd ed.] 2013, SpringerCleft Lip and Palate: Diagnosis and Management is an unparalleled review of treatment concepts in all areas of cleft involvement presented by an international team of experienced clinicians. A unique feature of the book is that it largely consists of longitudinal facial and palatal growth studies of dental casts, photographs, panorexes, and cephalographs from birth to adolescence. Throughout the discussion of growth and treatment concepts, the importance of differential diagnosis in treatment planning is underscored. The underlying argument is that all of the treatment goals - good speech, facial aesthetics, dental occlusion, and psychological development - may be realized without the need to sacrifice one for another.In this third edition, further successful physiological treatment protocols are considered and the occurrence and prevention of relapses after some surgical treatments are discussed; again, all solutions are backed up by follow-up records. Additional topics not previously covered include strategies for coping with psychological effects on patients and intra-team conflict, the excellent clinical work being undertaken in Asia, and future multicenter palatal growth studies. It is the editor's hope that, by drawing on the wealth of experience contained in the book, clinicians will be better able to evaluate current treatment practices and concepts and to improve planning of their own treatment procedures.
- Clinical facial analysis 2005, SpringerIntroduction-- Facial Analysis: What, Why, When, and How, p. 1-5 -- Approaching the Patient for Direct and Photographic Facial Analysis., p. 7-12 -- Lighting Techniques for Clinical Facial Photography, p. 15-21-- Views of Clinical Facial Photography, p. 23-32 -- The "Facial Points of Interest", p. 35-40 -- Basic Facial Analysis, p. 43-56 -- Forehead, Eyebows, and Eyes, p. 59-69 -- Nasal Analysis, p. 71-94 -- Lips, Teeth, Chin, and Smile Analysis, p. 97-112 -- Dentofacial Deformities, p. 115-142 -- The Aging Face, p. 145-160 -- Continuing Facial Analysis, p. 163-166 -- Exercises in Clinical Photography and Analysis, p. 167-169 -- Suggested Reading, p. 171-174 -- Surround Yourself with Experts (and Other Important Advice for a Constructive and Creative Surgical Practice), p. 175-178.
- Clinical facial analysis. 2nd ed. 2012, SpringerThis richly illustrated book presents a straightforward non-instrumental method of clinical facial analysis in preparation for aesthetic surgery, orthognathic surgery, and orthodontic treatments. After discussion of various practical aspects of facial examination and photography, analysis of different regions of the face and dentofacial deformities is discussed in a series of detailed chapters. At the end of each of these chapters, multiple-choice checklists are included that will help the reader to perform step-by-step regional analysis. Important features of the book are its multidisciplinary approach and the emphasis placed on the relationship between different parts of the face. This second edition has been thoroughly updated and includes a new chapter on recording and documentation relating specifically to aesthetic facial surgery.
- Clinical reproductive medicine and surgery. 2nd ed. 2013, Springer
- Clinical research for surgeons 2009, ThiemeWhy we need clinical research -- Historical perspectives of clinical research -- Evidence-based surgery defined -- Myths and misconceptions about evidence-based medicine -- Becoming an evidence-based surgeon -- Principles of clinical research -- Various research design classifications -- Hierarchy of research studies: from case series to meta-analyses -- Randomized and nonrandomized studies -- Understanding research study design -- Clinical case series -- Case-control study -- Prospective cohort study -- Randomized trial -- Meta-analysis -- Economic analysis -- Diagnostic study -- Reliability study -- Understanding outcomes measurement -- Classification of outcomes -- What makes an outcome measure useful -- Common generic outcome scales for surgeons -- Common disease-specific outcome scales for surgeons -- Understanding treatment effects -- Common ways to present treatment effects -- Confidence interval defined -- P value defined -- Errors in hypothesis testing -- Clinical versus statistical significance -- Practice of clinical research -- Planning a research study -- Requirements of a clinical research proposal -- Identification of a good research question -- How to conduct a comprehensive literature search -- Guide to planning a randomized trial -- Guide to planning a nonrandomized study -- Study sample size -- How to budget for a research study -- Research ethics, review boards, and consent forms -- Regulatory issues in the evaluation of a new device or drug -- Strategies in research funding -- Conducting a research study -- Roles of the research team -- Role of a central methods center -- Role of a data monitoring committee -- Need for separate adjudication of outcomes -- Data management -- Study case report forms -- Study manual of operations -- Review of basic statistical principles -- Statistical means and proportions -- Regression analysis -- Analysis of variance -- Correlation defined.
- Clinical research methods for surgeons 2006, SpringerPlanning the research / Eugene Blackstone -- Ethical issues in clinical research / David F. Penson -- Budget development and staffing / Judith Fine and Peter C. Albertsen -- Non randomized interventional study designs (quasi-experimental designs) / David Axelrod, Rodney Hayward -- Randomized clinical trials of surgical procedures / Michael P. Porter -- Use of observational databases (registries) in research / Deborah P. Lubeck -- Risk adjustment / William G. Henderson and Shukri F. Khuri -- Basic statistical methods / David Etzioni, Nadia Howlader, and Ruth Etzioni -- Survival analyses / Rodney L. Dunn and John T. Wei -- Assessing the performance and validity of diagnostic tests and screening programs / David C. Miller, Rodney L. Dunn, and John T. Wei -- Secondary data analyses / Andrew Rosenberg, MaryLou VH Greenfield, and Justin B. Dimick -- Traditional outcome measures / Aruna V. Sarma, and Julie C. McLaughlin -- Health-related quality of life / Mark Litwin -- Measuring patient satisfaction / Arvin Koruthu George and Martin G. Sanda -- Quality of care / Jessica B. O'Connell and Clifford Y. Ko -- Cost-effectiveness analyses / Lynn Stothers -- Qualitative research / Donna L. Berry, Sally L. Maliski, and William J. Ellis -- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses / Timothy J. Wilt and Howard A. Fink.
- Clinical review of vascular trauma 2014, SpringerCare of the vascular trauma patient is a unique undertaking that requires a cohesive, multidisciplinary approach from all the surgical subspecialties to be successful. This is the first textbook of its kind to bring together all prominent management strategies from each of the surgical subspecialties, creating a unified voice on the management of the vascular trauma patient.? The purpose of the book is to serve as a practical surgical reference for the diagnosis and management of traumatic vascular injuries. Management of common vascular injuries is examined from a general, trauma, vascular, orthopaedic, plastics, cardiothoracic, and neurosurgical perspective by respected experts from each of these fields. Each section has been edited by specialists in the other relevant disciplines to ensure that every chapter represents an evidence-based assessment of all of the surgical subspecialties. Some essential topics include ideal choices of incision, endovascular versus open surgery, and the order in which to repair complex orthopedic and vascular injuries. Supplementing the clear and concise text are dozens of surgical photographs, illustrations, tables, and charts that assist in conveying complex concepts in vascular trauma management. Insights from the multidisciplinary panel of authors and editors help to simplify complex decision-making and streamline the overall care for critically ill patients. The Clinical Review of Vascular Trauma will be essential reading for any healthcare professional involved in care of the trauma patient.
- Colon and rectal surgery. 5th ed. 2005, Ovid
- Color atlas of burn reconstructive surgery 2010, Springer
- Common problems in acute care surgery 2013, Springer
- Common surgical diseases. 2nd rev. ed. 2008, Springer1. Assessing preoperative cardiac risk in patient undergoing non-cardiac surgery -- 2. Management of preoperative bleeding disorders, intraoperative coagulopathy -- 3. Preoperative nutritional assessment/intervention -- 4. Transfusion reactions -- 5. Asymptomatic carotid bruits -- 6. General operating room precautions -- Section 2: Trauma -- 7. Initial assessment & resuscitation of the trauma patient -- 8. Head trauma -- 9. Management of the difficult airway -- 10. Penetrating neck trauma -- 11. Penetrating chest trauma -- 12. Penetrating abdominal trauma -- 13. Blunt abdominal trauma -- 14. Pelvic fractures -- 15. Traumatic hematuria -- 16. Knee pain -- 17. Shoulder pain -- 18. Hip fractures -- 19. Extremity fractures -- 20. Burns -- Section 3: Vascular problems -- 21. Chronic lower extremity ischemia -- 22. The acute cold leg -- 23. Myocardial infarction -- 24. Abdominal aortic aneurysm -- Section 4: Endocrine disorders -- 25. Solitary thyroid nodule and cancer -- 26. Cushing's Syndrome -- 27. Hyperthyroidism -- 28. Hypercalcemia -- 29. Insulinoma -- 30. Zollinger Ellison Syndrome -- 31. Surgical hypertension -- Section 5: Abdomen -- 32. Acute pancreatitis -- 33. Chronic pancreatitis -- 34. Small bowel obstruction -- 35. Ischemic bowel -- 36. Crohn's disease -- 37. Ulcerative colitis -- 38. Appendicitis -- 39. Acute abdomen -- 40. Diverticulitis -- 41. Large bowel obstruction -- 42. Colon cancer -- 43. Rectal cancer -- 44. Anal cancer -- 45. Anorectal pain -- 46. Hematemesis -- 47. Lower gastrointestinal hemorrhage -- 48. Cholelithiasis, incidental and symptomatic -- 49. Jaundice -- 50. Liver mass -- 51. Peptic ulcer disease --52. Dysphagia -- 53. Rectal bleeding -- 54. Inguinal hernia -- 55. Portal hypertension -- 56. Gastroesophageal reflux -- 57. Carcinoid tumors --- 58. Indications for renal transplantation -- 59. Indications, evaluation and allocation for liver transplantation --- 60. Melanoma -- Section 6: Pediatrics -- 61. Hypertrophic pyloric stenosis -- 62. Jaundice in the pediatric patient -- 63. Pediatric abdominal masses -- 64. Esophageal atresia/tracheoesophageal fistula -- 65. Intussusception -- 66. Hirschsprung's disease -- 67. Necrotizing enterocolitis -- Section 7: Urology -- 68. Hematuria -- 69. Nephrolithiasis -- 70. Prostatism -- 71. Testicular masses -- 72. Urinary tract infections -- 73. Painful scrotum -- Section 8: Gynecology -- 74. Acute pelvic pain -- 75. Evaluation of the adnexal mass -- 76. Pelvic inflammatory diseases -- Section 9: Thoracic problems -- 77. Solitary pulmonary nodules -- 78. Pleural effusions -- 79. Acute respiratory distress syndrome -- 80. Nosocomial pneumonia -- Section 10: Breast disorders -- 81. Palpable breast mass -- 82. Abnormal mammogram -- 83. Invasive breast cancer -- 84. Nipple discharge -- 85. Breast pain -- 86. Ductal carcinoma in-situ -- Section 11: Head and neck disorders -- 87. Parotid mass -- 88. Evaluation of suspicious neck mass -- Section 12: On-call crises -- 89. Epistaxis -- 90. Diabetic ketoacidosis -- 91. Oliguria -- 92. Postoperative fever -- 93. Hypercalcemic crisis -- 94. Postoperative chest pain -- Section 13: Critical care -- 95. Management of cardiac arrhythmias -- 96. Ventilator management -- 97. Hypoxia and pulmonary embolism -- 98. Hypotension in the postoperative patient -- Cancer screening guidelines.
- Complementary fat grafting 2007, OvidAesthetics and aging : a new paradigm -- Preoperative evaluation -- Operative technique -- The postoperative period and management of complications -- Case studies.
- Complex fractures of the limbs 2014, SpringerThis book provides up-to-date guidance on the diagnosis and treatment of the most important complex fractures of the limbs, including fractures of the proximal and distal humerus, fractures and dislocations of the elbow, fractures of the distal radius, pelvis, acetabulum, distal femur, proximal tibia, tibial pilon, calcaneus and osteoporotic knee fractures. The most complex articular fractures are analyzed, soft tissue coverage is reviewed, and the management of open fractures and nonunions is described and illustrated. Other chapters consider damage control management and immediate bone fixation in the polytrauma patient, skeletal reconstruction and rehabilitation of complex fractures of the limbs. The book offers guidance to orthopaedic surgeons on which treatment options afford the best preservation of fully functional joints around the fractured bone. With this goal in mind, the authors have developed strategies that can restore full articular function of the limbs in both the short and the long term. Complex Fractures of the Limbs will be an invaluable aid to orthopaedic surgeons in treating patients with this very common and important clinical problem.
- Complex general surgical oncology Volume 1-2 : v. 1-2, 2013-14., Future Medv. 2 Future MedComplex general surgical oncology : a case-based approach / Daniel E. Abbott & Jason B. Fleming -- Breast cancer -- High-risk breast lesions / Vance Sohn -- Surgical management of ductal carcinoma in situ / Rosalinda Alvarado -- Regional lymph node metastases in breast cancer / Sarah DeSnyder -- Neoadjuvant/adjuvant therapy for breast cancer / Sarah DeSnyder -- Nonductal malignancies / Sarah DeSnyder -- Management of high-risk breast cancer syndromes / Rosalinda Alvarado -- Reconstruction following breast surgery / Steve Lee & Daniel E. Abbott -- Endocrine malignancies -- Well-differentiated thyroid cancer / Steve Lee & Daniel E. Abbott -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia / Paxton Dickson -- Adrenal pathology and approaches to resection / Daniel E. Abbott -- Melanoma -- Margins in melanoma / Genevieve Boland -- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in melanoma / Genevieve Boland -- In-transit disease and regional therapy / Vance Sohn -- Soft-tissue sarcoma -- Retroperitoneal sarcoma / Alex Haynes -- Adjuvant/neoadjuvant therapy for sarcoma / Christina L. Roland -- Esophageal cancer -- EMR, RFA and argon plasma coagulation for treatment of Barrett's esophagus and early adenocarcinoma / Amanda Cooper -- Distal esophageal tumors / Maria C. Russell -- Squamous cell versus adenocarcinoma of the esophagus / Christina L. Roland -- Index.Complex general surgical oncology : a case-based approach / Daniel E. Abbott & Jason B. Fleming -- Gastric cancer -- Gastric adenocarcinoma / Maria Citarella Russell -- Small bowel cancer -- Small bowel neoplasms / Paxton Dickson -- Colorectal cancer -- Management of rectal cancer / Genevieve Boland -- Hereditary colorectal cancer syndromes / Christina Bailey -- Reconstruction after low rectal resections and pelvic exenteration / Amanda Cooper -- Hepatobiliary cancer -- Cholangiocarcinoma / Daniel E. Abbott -- Hepatic metastases / Genevieve Boland -- Resection and ablation techniques for hepatic lesions / Steve Lee & Daniel E. Abbott -- Resection versus transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma / Christina L. Roland -- Pancreatic cancer -- Pancreatic cystic neoplasms / Robert E. Roses -- Pancreatic adenocarcinoma / Daniel E. Abbott -- Neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas / Alex Haynes -- Conditions affecting the pancreaticobiliary system / Vance Sohn -- Peritoneal malignancy -- Peritoneal mesothelioma / Vance Sohn -- Index.
- Complexities in colorectal surgery 2014, SpringerComplexities in Colorectal Surgery: Decision-Making and Management provides a unique, modern, practical guide that covers the strategic evaluation, specific approaches, and detailed management techniques utilized by expert Colorectal Surgeons caring for patients with complex problems whether they result from underlying colorectal disease or from complications arising from previous surgical therapy. The text is formatted as both a "how-to" manual as well as an algorithm-based guide allowing the reader to understand the thought process behind the proposed treatment strategies. By making use of evidence-based recommendations, each chapter will include not only diagnostic and therapeutic guidelines, but also a narrative by the author on his/her operative technical details and perioperative "tips and tricks" that they utilize in the management of these complex surgical challenges. This test includes chapters on the assessment of risk and nutritional intervention methods utilized to minimize perioperative complications. In addition, sections on medical and surgical therapies for abdominal, pelvic and anorectal disease are incorporated. Moreover, the technical challenges of managing complications resulting from the original or subsequent operations is addressed. The underlying focus throughout the text is to provide pragmatic and understandable solutions that can be readily implemented by surgeons of varying experience to successfully treat complex colorectal problems. The text also goes beyond the technical aspects of Colorectal Surgery and includes special sections highlighting the essence of a surgeon. These include chapters describing the importance of the first encounter, building patient rapport, and demonstrating confidence and competence while showing humility and avoiding arrogance. Additionally, aspects involving the medical-legal, ethical, and economic challenges confronting surgeons are covered.
- Complications in cutaneous surgery 2008, SpringerSection I. Acute Surgical Complications -- Preoperative Evaluation / Marcy Neuburg -- Acute Emergencies in the Dermatology Office / Darrell J. Fader -- Nerve Injury / Shawn Allen and Roberta Sengelmann -- Hemorrhagic Complications in Cutaneous Surgery / Hugh M. Gloster -- Wound Infections / Gregory John Fulchiero and Elizabeth M. Billingsley -- Prophylaxis for Wound Infections and Endocarditis / Michelle Pipitone and Hugh M. Gloster -- Dehiscence and Necrosis / Ross M. Campbell and Raymond G. Dufresne -- Section II. Chronic Surgical Complications -- Hypertrophic Scars and Keloids / A. Paul Kelly -- Free Margin Distortion / Sumaira Z. Aasi and David Leffell -- Scar Revision and Camouflage / Tri H. Nguyen -- Miscellaneous Complications / Mary E. Maloney and Nathaniel J. Jellinek -- Section III. Complications of Cosmetic Procedures -- Preoperative Cosmetic Consultation and Psychological Complications of Cosmetic Surgery / Evan C. Jones and Dee Anna Glaser -- Complications of Ablative and Nonablative Lasers and Light Sources / Elizabeth L. Tanzi and Tina S. Alster -- Complications of Dermabrasion and Chemical Peeling Procedures / Chris Harmon and Betty Davis -- Complications of Liposuction / J. Barton Sterling and C. William Hanke -- Complications of Soft Tissue Fillers / Steven C. Bernstein -- Complications of Botulinum Toxin / Deborshi Roy and Neil S. Sadick -- Complications of Sclerotherapy / Girish S. Munavalli and Robert A. Weiss -- Complications of Facelifting Procedures / Greg S. Morganroth, Hayes B. Gladstone and Isaac M. Neuhaus.
- Complications in endodontic surgery 2014, Springer"This book presents up-to-date recommendations for the prevention, diagnosis, and management of complications in endodontic surgical procedures, based on the best available scientific evidence. Common risks such as wound healing impairment, infection, and bleeding are discussed, and specific complications related to endodontic surgery, such as maxillary sinus involvement and damage to adjacent neurovascular structures, are reviewed. For each step of endodontic surgical procedures, surgical goals and possible outcomes are reviewed. Preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative risk factors for complications are identified, and treatment options presented. Helpful decision-making algorithms, tables, and flow charts complement the reader-friendly text."--Publisher's website.
- Complications in surgery and trauma. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2014, CRCnetBASE"This reference provides practical information on complications encountered during and after surgical procedures. It covers preoperative, intra-operative, and postoperative events such as organ transplant, amputations, nerve and fracture repair, and skin grafting. The author offers detailed guidance and techniques to recognize and control complications in the operating room, emergency ward, and intensive care unit. It includes surgical sub-specialties such as critical care, endocrine, cardiothoracic, vascular, burns and wound healing, orthopedic, pediatric, and transplants. The new edition has been revised and reorganized to include nine new chapters and an update of the remaining chapters"--Provided by publisher.
- Complications in vascular surgery. 2nd ed., rev. & expanded. 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Complications of Female Incontinence and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery reviews the prevention, evaluation and management of complications arising from female pelvic surgery. Potential complications of both routine and specialized female pelvic procedures such as transvaginal slings, cystocele and rectocele repairs, urethral diverticulectomy, and transvaginal mesh repairs are reviewed. The chapters are divided by procedure allowing the reader to easily find what they are looking for. Images and figures of methods of evaluation and repair of these complications are included throughout. The volume is organized based on the specific types of surgeries performed and the user is able to look up the type of surgery performed and immediately find all of the potential complications and their treatments. This text will serve as a comprehensive guide and reference allowing the surgeon quick and ready access to information about the complications of female pelvic surgery.
- Complications of percutaneous coronary interventions 2005, SpringerIntroduction / Samuel M. Butman -- Complications of the Medications / Paul E. Nolan and Toby C. Trujillo -- Groin Complications / Raghunandan Kamineni and Samuel M. Butman -- Complications of Plain Old Balloon Angioplasty / David P. Lee -- Coronary Guidewire Complications / Antonio J. Chamoun and Barry F. Uretsky -- Complications Related to Coronary Stenting / Samuel M. Butman -- Complications of Atherectomy Devices / Gurpreet Baweja, Ashish Pershad, Richard R. Heuser and Samuel M. Butman -- The No-Reflow Phenomenon / H. M. Omar Farouque and David P. Lee -- Early versus Late Complications / Albert W. Chan and Christopher J. White -- Complications of Radiation Exposure and Therapy / William L. Ballard -- Complications of Closure Devices / Raghunandan Kamineni and Samuel M. Butman -- Legal Complications of Percutaneous Coronary Procedures / Peter Akmajian -- Cardiac Arrest and Resuscitation During Percutaneous Coronary Interventions / Karl B. Kern and Hoang M. Thai -- Adverse Event Reporting: Physicians, Manufacturers, and the Food and Drug Administration / Eva B. Manus.
- Comprehensive anatomy of motor functions 2014, Springer
- Conflict and catastrophe medicine. Third edition. 2014, SpringerConflict and Catastrophe Medicine: A Practical Guide 3e follows its successful predecessors in providing a framework for use by health professionals visiting a resource-constrained environment. Aimed at health professionals, Conflict and Catastrophe Medicine: A Practical Guide 3e encompasses problems brought about by local conflict or natural disasters. Itcovers preparation, organisation, logistics, treatment of major trauma and medical emergencies, and the special problems of delivering medicine in a hostile environment. This book will provide the reader with a mix of theory, opinion and practical advice to guide him through areas of conflicts, catastrophes and remote locations.
- Congenital malformations of the head and neck 2014, SpringerCongenital Malformations of the Head and Neck offers a unique conceptual and visual approach to children with congenital malformations of the head and neck. Developed by renowned leaders in the field, this title is richly illustrated with a wealth of patient photos, radiology and endoscopic images of malformations. Starting with the genetics of common congenital syndromes, Congenital Malformations of the Head and Neck goes on to comprehensively cover malformations of the ear, nose, nasopharynx, oral cavity, oropharynx, cleft lip and palate, larynx, trachea, and neck. Easy-to-read and an indispensable reference and teaching resource, this title will serve as an invaluable reference for clinicians, neurologists, pediatricians, otolaryngologists and head and neck surgeons. It should also be of great interest to fellows and residents.
- Congenital thoracic wall deformities 2011, SpringerIntroduction -- Deformities of the anterior thoracic wall -- Diagnostics -- Aspects of indication setting for selection of individual therapy and informed consent -- Therapy -- Special techniques in the funnel chest deformity -- Special techniques in the keel chest deformity -- Special techniques in pectus arcuatum and mixed deformities -- Special aspects in females -- Special technique in the Poland syndrome -- Surgery of other congenital anomalies of the anterior thoracic wall -- Complications, special problems -- Actual technical improvements, future aspects -- Final conclusions.
- Controversies in laparoscopic surgery 2006, Springer
- The worldwide prevalence of obesity has increased dramatically in recent years. Since the results of long-term dietary behavioral therapy remain sadly inadequate, surgery is currently the only effective treatment for patients with severe or morbid obesity. The numbers of weight loss operations continue to increase annually throughout the world. The anesthetic management of severely obese patients entails special challenges, especially when medical co-morbidities are present. Published outcome data on anesthetic care and pain management of these patients are scarce, and many practices remain controversial. Controversies in the Anesthetic Management of Obese Patients considers a wide range of important practical issues. Key questions in preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative management are addressed, and different approaches are evaluated. Written by international leaders in the field, this book will be an invaluable aid for anesthesia care providers.
- Cranial, craniofacial and skull base surgery 2010, SpringerEvolution of techniques to approach the base of the skull -- Instruments -- Subfrontal approaches -- Supraorbital eyebrow approach: a less invasive corridor to lesions of the anterior cranial fossa, parasellar region, and ventral brainstem -- Frontotemporal approach -- Orbitozygomatic approach -- Transcallosal approaches to intraventrical tumors -- Subtemporal approach -- Suboccipital lateral approaches (presigmoid) -- Suboccipital lateral approaches (retrosigmoid) -- Suboccipital median approach -- Middle cranial fossa approach -- Translabyrinthine and transcochlear petrosal approaches -- Dorsolateral approach to the craniocervical junction -- Transsphenoidal approaches: endoscopic -- Endonasal endoscope-assisted microscopic approach -- Transsphenoidal approaches: microscopic -- Expanded endoscopic endonasal approaches to the skull base -- Maxillofacial surgery: evolution and approaches -- Orbital approaches -- Transoral approaches -- Midfacial approaches -- Midfacial translocation approach -- Transmandibular approaches -- Anterior cranial base reconstruction.
- Current consult. Surgery 2005, AccessSurgery
- Current diagnosis & treatment in otolaryngology. 3rd ed. 2012, AccessMedicineIncludes more than 400 clinical photographs and line drawings and a comprehensive radiology chapter with more than 150 images.--excerpted from p. 4 of cover.
- Current diagnosis & treatment, surgery 2010 (13th ed.), AccessSurgeryFulltext AccessMedicine
- Current procedures. Surgery 2010, AccessSurgery1. Thyroidectomy and Neck Dissection -- 2. Parathyroidectomy -- 3. Adrenalectomy -- 4. Surgery of the Endocrine Pancreas -- 5. Transhiatal Esophagectomy -- 6. Operative Management of Gastric Lesions -- 7. Surgery of the Hiatus -- 8. Emergency Operations for Peptic Ulcer Disease -- 9. Surgical Therapies for Morbid Obesity -- 10. Enteral Access -- 11. Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy -- 12. Management of Complex Biliary Stone Disease -- 13. Management of Bile Duct Injuries and Biliary Strictures -- 14. Hepatectomy -- 15. Pancreaticoduodenectomy -- 16. Distal Pancreatectomy -- 17. Operative Management of Chronic Pancreatitis -- 18. Splenectomy -- 19. Small Bowel Resection -- 20. Appendectomy -- 21. Loop Colostomy, End Ileostomy, and Loop Ileostomy -- 22. Operative Management of Inflammatory Bowel Disease -- 23. Colectomy -- 24. Operative Management of Rectal Tumors -- 25. Operative Management of Rectal Prolapse -- 26. Benign Anorectal Procedures -- 27. Operative Management of Breast Cancer -- 28. Operative Management of Melanoma -- 29. Operative Management of Soft Tissue Sarcoma -- 30. Renal Transplantation -- 31. Pancreas Transplantation -- 32. Liver Transplantation -- 33. Vascular Access for Dialysis -- 34. Management of Infrarenal Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm -- 35. Carotid Endarterectomy -- 36. Operative Management of Aortoiliac Occlusive Disease -- 37. Surgical Revascularization of Infrainguinal Arterial Occlusive Disease -- 38. Management of Lower Extremity Venous Insufficiency -- 39. Below- and Above-the-Knee Amputation -- 40. Inguinal Hernia Repair -- 41. Ventral Hernia Repair -- 42. Wound Closure Techniques -- 43. Central Venous Access -- 44. Tube Thoracostomy -- 45. Tracheostomy and Emergency Cricothyroidotomy -- 46. Operative Management of Pyloric Stenosis: Pyloromyotomy -- 47. Pediatric Vascular Access -- 48. Pediatric Inguinal Hernia.
- Current therapy in oral and maxillofacial surgery 2012, ScienceDirectWritten by expert surgeons and educators, Current Therapy in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery covers the latest treatment strategies, surgical techniques, and potential complications in OMS. Emphasizing an evidence-based approach, it covers all 12 subspecialties of OMS, addressing topics from surgical principles to oral surgery, anesthesia, cranio-maxillofacial trauma surgery, head and neck surgery, maxillofacial reconstructive surgery, orthognathic surgery, pediatric craniofacial surgery including cleft lip and palate, temporomandibular joint disorders, facial plastic surgery including rhinoplasty and facelifts, obstructive sleep apnea, and oral and maxillofacial infections. At the end of each chapter, Pearls and Pitfalls summarize the authors' insight, recommendations, and experience on that topic. Editor Dr. Shahrokh Bagheri is a noted professor, researcher, and speaker on OMS, and he leads an expert author team including Dr. R. Bryan Bell and Dr. Husain Ali Khan to help you master and apply the latest advances in OMS. More than 1,200 full-color photos and 200 color line drawings illustrate concepts and provide visual guidance in clinical areas. Comprehensive sections and chapters represent essential topics, the newest advances, and controversial topics. Clinical coverage brings together the latest knowledge in OMS in a concise, easy-to-apply way. Resident-specific coverage describes the wide array of subspecialties and treatments available in the armamentarium of the modern OMS. A focus on complications ensures that you are knowledgeable in this important part of any therapy or surgical discipline. Expert contributors include the "best of the best," featuring leading, well-established, and respected surgeons and educators writing on their areas of specialty and providing current treatment strategies.
- Cutaneous flaps in head and neck reconstruction 2014, Springer"This textbook, containing a plethora of illustrations and pictures, will serve as an atlas and as a superb guide to the use of cutaneous flaps in head and neck reconstruction. Each chapter depicts, in a layered manner, the anatomy of a particular donor site from which flaps are derived and used in head and neck defects, providing systematic steps in understanding the topographical anatomy of the various tissue layers. The flaps derived from each donor site are presented in detail, with step-by-step instructions in flap design and harvesting techniques based in anatomy. The author uses numerous high-quality color illustrations drawn from his own practice in order to demonstrate the techniques. His combined expertise as a maxillofacial surgeon and an assistant professor of anatomy enables him to explain clearly the transition from basic science anatomy to applied anatomy and to document reconstructive surgical techniques in precise detail. This beautifully illustrated book, including many basic and advanced flap designs, will be an illuminating reference for all who treat defects in the head and neck area."--Publisher's website.
- Dawn and evolution of cardiac procedures 2013, SpringerPart 1.Research on Cardiac Surgery and Right Cardiac Catheterization before the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass --1.The Discovery of Blood Circulation /Yves Glock --2.The History of Surgical Research /Marco Picichè --3.The Ignored Birth of Cardiac Surgery: The History of the Surgical Treatment of Heart Wounds and Pericardial Effusions /Vladimir Saplacan, Fabio Cuttone and Massimo Massetti --4.The History of Pulmonary Embolectomy Before the Advent of CPB /Marco Vola and Jean-Francois Fuzellier --5.Right Cardiac Catheterization Before the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Achille Gaspardone and Giulio G. Stefanini --6.The History of Mitral and Tricuspid Valve Surgery Before the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Luigi Chiariello, Paolo Nardi and Giovanni Alfonso Chiariello --7.Surgery of the Aortic Valve Before the Era of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Y. Glock --8.The History of Myocardial Revascularization Before the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Marco Picichè --9.The History of Experimental Heterotopic and Orthotopic Heart Transplantation Before Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Tyson A. Fricke and Igor E. Konstantinov --10.The History of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Before the Introduction of Extracorporeal Circulation /Alessandro Frigiola --Part 2.Research on the Cardiopulmonary Bypass Machine --11.On the Path to Cardiopulmonary Bypass: From Le Gallois' Experiments to Brukhonenko's Machine /Matthew S. Yong, Stephen B. Horton and Igor E. Konstantinov --12.Research on Cardiopulmonary Bypass in North America /Manon Caouette --13.From Research on Hibernation and Hypothermia to Recent Advances in Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Isabelle Plamondon and Edoardo Gasparotto --14.Cardiac Anaesthesia /Fabio Guarracino and Rubia Baldassarri -- Part 3.Research on Interventional Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery after the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass --15.The History of Research on Coronary Angiography and Coronary Angioplasty /Luigi La Vecchia --16.Right Cardiac Catheterization After the Advent of Cpb /Achille Gaspardone and Giuilo G. Stefanini --17.The History of Research on Coronary Stenting /Fabrizio Tomai and Leonardo De Luca --18.The History of Percutaneous Valvuloplasty /Alessandro Fontanelli --19.Percutaneous Closure of Atrial and Ventricular Septal Defects /Achille Gaspardone and Giulio G. Stefanini --20.Evolution of Homografts and Prosthetic Heart Valves /Marco Picichè --21.The History of Research on Mitral, Tricuspid, and Aortic Valve Repair After the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Ruggero De Paulis, Andrea Salica, Raffaele Scaffa and Luca Weltert --22.History of Research on Myocardial Protection /Victor S. Costache, Cristian Martu, Nicolas Chavanis, Jean Philippe Frieh and Serban Stoica --23.Supra-Diaphragmatic Aortic Surgery: Evolution of Material, Techniques and Brain Protection /François Dagenais --24.Surgical Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation /Gino Gerosa, Carlo Dal Lin and Vincenzo Tarzia --25.Catheter Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation /Alessio Marinelli and Domenico Corrado --26.The History of Cardiac Pacemakers and Defibrillators /Serge Boveda, Stéphane Garrigue and Philippe Ritter --27.The History of Surgery for Ischemic Heart Disease and Mechanical Complications of Myocardial Infarction After the Advent of CPB /Roland G. Demaria and Mohammed Al Yamani --28.Progress and Milestones in the Treatment of Deep Sternal Wound Infections /Richard Baillot and Daniel Cloutier --29.Engineering for IABP and ECMO /Roberto Lorusso, Attilio Renzulli and Sandro Gelsomino --30.The History of Research on Ventricular Assist Devices and Total Artificial Heart /Luc M. Jacquet --31.The History of Research on Adult and Paediatric Heart Transplantation /Johann U. Brink and Yves d'Udekem --32.The History of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery After the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Jean E. Rubay --33.Minimally Invasive and Robotic Cardiac Surgery /Loris Salvador --34.The History of Research on Percutaneous, Transapical, and Sutureless Aortic Valve Replacement /Thierry Aymard and Thierry Carrel. --35.Erratum to: The History of Research on Percutaneous, Transapical, and Sutureless Aortic Valve Replacement /Thierry Aymard and Thierry Carrel.
- Diabetic foot. 3rd ed. 2012, Springer
- Difficult cases in endourology 2013, Springer1. Introduction / Ahmed M. Al-Kandar -- 2. Anesthetic Considerations During Endourologic Surgery / Ahmed M. Labib and Ahmed M. Al-Kandari -- 3. Difficulties in Instrumentation of Endourologic Procedures / Ahmed M. Al-Kandari -- 4. Percutaneous Management of Calyceal Diverticula: An American Experience / Jessica A. Mandeville, Ehud Gnessin, and James E. Lingeman -- 5. Managing Bleeding During Percutaneous Renal Surgery / Ahmed R. El-Nahas, Ahmed M. Shoma, and Ahmed A. Shokeir -- 6. Septic Complications During Percutaneous Nephrolitholotomy (PCNL) / Evangelos Liatsikos and Panagiotis Kallidonis -- 7. Visceral Complications of Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) / Abdelghaffar S. Arafa and Ahmed M. Al-Kandari -- 8. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) for Staghorn Calculi: The Rigid Approach: Overcoming the Difficulties / Arvind P. Ganpule and Mahesh Desai -- 9. Flexible Renal Nephroscopy: Overcoming the Difficulties / Joseph A. Graversen, Adam C. Mues, and Mantu Gupta -- 10. Chinese Minimally Invasive Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (MPCNL): Overcoming the Difficulties / Zhaohui He, Guohua Zeng, and Xun Li -- 11. Percutaneous Renal Surgery for Renal Pelvic Tumors: Overcoming the Difficulties / Brian Duty, Michael Blute, Zhamshid Okhunov, Arthur D. Smith, and Zeph Okeke -- 12. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) in the Treatment of Stones within Horseshoe Kidneys and in Patients with Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease / Ahmed Abed, Ahmed R. El-Nahas, Ahmed M. Al-Kandari, and Ahmed A. Shokeir -- 13. Drainage Systems After Percutanous Renal Procedures / Brian Duty, Zhamshid Okhunov, Arthur D. Smith, and Zeph Okeke -- 14. Retrograde Nephrostomy Access: Overcoming the Difficulties / Khalid Matar Al-Otaibi -- 15. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL): The Supine Approach: Overcoming the Difficulties / Francisco Pedro Juan Daels -- 16. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) in Obese Patients: Overcoming the Difficulties / Soroush Rais-Bahrami and Arthur D. Smith -- 17. Percutanous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) for Caliceal Diverticulum: An Egyptian Experience / Ahmed Mohamed Elshal, Ahmed M. Shoma, and Ahmed A. Shokeir -- 18. Endourological Management of Urological Complications Following Renal Transplantation / Ahmed S. El-Hefnawy, Mohamed M. Elsaadany, Shady A. Soliman, Yasser Osman, Ahmed M. Shoma, and Ahmed A. Shokeir -- 19. Difficult Situations in Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) for Solitary Kidney and Renal Failure / Arvind P. Ganpule, Amit Satish Bhattu, and Mahesh Desai -- 20. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) and Other Simultaneous Procedures / Ravindra B. Sabnis, Raguram Ganesamoni, and Amit Doshi -- 21. Adult Endopyelotomy: Overcoming the Difficulties / Zhamshid Okhunov, Brian Duty, Zeph Okeke, and Arthur D. Smith -- 22. Ureteroscopy for Upper Ureteral Stones: Overcoming the Difficulties of the Rigid Approach / Tamer S. Barakat, Ahmed R. El-Nahas, Ahmed M. Shoma, and Ahmed A. Shokeir -- 23. Uretheroscopy for Upper Ureteric and Renal Stones: Overcoming Difficulties with the Flexible Approach / Jacob Howard Cohen and Michael Grasso III -- 24. Ureteroscopy for Ureteral Strictures / Ahmed M. Harraz, Ahmed M. Shoma, and Ahmed A. Shokeir -- 25. Ureteroscopic Management of Ureteral and Renal Pelvic Tumors: Overcoming the Difficulties / Demetrius H. Bagley and Kelly A. Healy -- 26. Endourologic Management of Non-Malignant Bilharzial Urinary Complications / Hamdy Mohamed Ibrahim, Ahmad Samy Bedair, and Ahmed M. Al-Kandari -- 27. Ureteroscopy During Pregnancy / Hamdy Mohamed Ibrahim and Ahmed M. Al-Kandari -- 28. Pediatric Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL): Overcoming the Difficulties / Sinan Zeren and Hakan Çakir -- 29. Pediatric Ureteroscopy: Overcoming the Difficulties / Raguram Ganesamoni, Shashikant Mishra, and Mahesh Desai -- 30. Difficulties with Ureteral Stents / Brandon K. Isariyawongse and Manoj Monga -- 31. Overcoming the Cost Difficulties in Endourology / Ravindra B. Sabnis -- 32. Difficulties in Endourologic Training / Ahmed M. Al-Kandari -- 33. Avoiding and Overcoming Medico-Legal Difficulties in Endourology / Donnaline Richman and James H. Robb.
- Difficult decisions in thoracic surgery 2007, Springer
- Difficult decisions in thoracic surgery. 2nd ed. 2011, Springer
- Disabling obesity 2013, Springer"Obesity is currently regarded as one of the major health challenges of the developed world. Excess body weight is an important risk factor for morbidity and mortality from cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, cancer, musculoskeletal disorders and even psychiatric problems and is estimated to cause nearly 3 million deaths per year worldwide. Obesity is not necessarily associated with comorbidities: there are indeed metabolically healthy obese individuals. Thus, we need to consider individuals presenting simple with obesity separately from those at risk of developing or who have already developed complex clinical states potentially leading to disability. Comorbidities can tip the balance of independence in patients who already have functional limitations mainly due to the excess of mass itself or who develop conditions such as diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, where an abnormal metabolism of adipose tissue prevails. Morbid obesity with comorbidities leading to disability represents a real social and economic burden for National Health Systems worldwide. The presence of multiple and associated comorbidities often represents an obstacle to being admitted to hospitals for the treatment of metabolic diseases. On the other hand, clinical units with optimal standards for the treatment of pathological conditions in normal-weight patients are often structurally and technologically inadequate for the care of patients with extreme obesity. The aim of this book is to focus on the pathophysiological and rehabilitative aspects of disabling obesity, highlighting multidisciplinary rehabilitation interventions as key to counteracting the disabling aspects of complicated obesity"--Provided by publisher.
- EAES guidelines for endoscopic surgery 2006, Springer
- Ear reconstruction 2013, SpringerEar reconstruction is required in a variety of patients, including especially those with congenital anomalies and associated deformities. In this book, a renowned practitioner in ear reconstruction explains the approaches that he has personally developed over the past 40 years in order to improve surgical results and also presents important new concepts. The proposed techniques offer tailored solutions to specific problems and are applicable in settings including severe microtia, moderate microtia, anotia, traumatic amputation, and unsatisfactory prominent ear surgery. Complications during and after ear reconstruction are also discussed, with guidance on their treatment. Throughout the book, the aim of the author is to share the fruits of his extensive experience with fellow surgeons in an informative and practically oriented way. The clearly written text is complemented by numerous helpful color photographs.
- Ear surgery 2008, SpringerOtosclerosis Surgery Complications, p. 1-12 -- Tympanoplasty/Ossiculoplasty, p. 13-27 -- Surgery for Chronic Otitis Media, p. 29-31 -- Complications of Chronic Otitis Media, p. 33-42 -- Petrous Apex Lesions, p. 43-53 -- Cholesteatoma, p. 55-60 -- External Auditory Canal Lesions, p. 61-65 -- Spontaneous Cerebral Spinal Fluid Otorrhea, p. 67-75 -- Facial Nerve Surgery, p. 77-88 -- Surgery for Vertigo, p. 89-98 -- Tumor Surgery, p. 99-110 -- Cochlear Implant Surgery, p. 111-115 -- Differential Diagnosis of Unilateral Serous Otitis Media, p. 117-120.
- Emerging technologies in surgery 2007, Springer
- 100 cases in surgery. Second edition [2nd ed.] — Emerging technologies in surgery (105)
- Endobronchial ultrasound — Minimally invasive spine surgery. 2nd [completely rev. and expanded] ed. (105)
- Minimally invasive surgery for achilles tendon disorders in clinical practice — SAGES manual (105)
- SAGES manual of hernia repair — Zollinger's Atlas of surgical operations. 9th ed. (104)
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases