Books by Subject
- 5-minute sports medicine consult. 2nd ed. 2011, Ovid"This new addition to The 5-Minute Consult Series is a clinically oriented quick consult reference for sports medicine. For the first time, common sports-related problems faced by primary care practitioners are thoroughly and concisely presented in the famous fast-access 5-Minute Consult format.Chapters on musculoskeletal problems cover basics; diagnosis; acute treatment, including on-field management; long-term treatment, including rehabilitation and referrals; and commonly asked questions. Other chapters address the special populations of children, adolescents, females, geriatric athletes, and disabled athletes and general medical problems in athletic individuals. Appendices include clinical care algorithms, a guide to the preparticipation examination, and patient education handouts"--Provided by publisher.
- Achilles tendon 2007, Springer
- Achilles tendon 2009, Springer
- ACL injuries in the female athlete 2012, SpringerNearly a million anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries occur each year worldwide, causing long-term problems in the knee joint. This textbook examines the short- and long-term impacts of ACL injuries on the basis of hundreds of published studies. Risk factors for such injuries are explored using data from hypothesis-driven investigations, and possible causes of the higher risk of noncontact ACL injuries in female athletes are analyzed. Neuromuscular training programs shown to reduce the rate of these injuries in female athletes are described in step-by-step detail with the aid of numerous color photographs and video demonstrations. In addition, detailed descriptions are provided for rehabilitation programs to be used after ACL reconstruction in order to reduce the risk of a future injury.
- ACL-deficient knee 2013, Springer"The ACL-Deficient Knee: A Problem Solving Approach, focuses on problem analysis and problem solving, as well as analyzing the possibility of prevention. In each chapter, the biomechanics, anatomy, etc. that are relevant to the topic are reviewed. There are chapters where highly specialized surgical techniques are presented (v. gr. double bundle reconstruction or meniscal transplant), as well as developing areas such as ACL tears in children, where we are finding a growing number of injuries due to the increase of sports at early ages."--publisher's website
- ACSM's Primary care sports medicine. 2nd ed. 2007, Ovid1. Primary care perspective / Douglas B. McKeag and James L. Moeller -- 2. Epidemiology of athletic injuries / Eric D. Zemper and Randall W. Dick -- 3. Exercise physiology and exercise testing / Carl Foster, Matthew J. Faber and John P. Porcari -- 4. Nutrition / Leslie Bonci -- 5. Preparticipation screening / James L. Moeller and Douglas B. McKeag -- 6. Conditioning and training programs for athletes/nonathletes / Sally E. Nogle and Jeffrey S. Monroe -- 7. Exercise as medicine : the role of exercise in treating chronic disease / Eric J. Anish and Chris A. Klenck -- 8. Injury prevention / Michael P. Montico, Joanne Nguyen, Scott W. Eathorne and Martha A. Steele -- 9. Covering athletic competition / Thomas R. Terrell and James L. Moeller -- 10. Management of on-site emergencies / Brent S. E. Rich, Benjamin B. Betteridge and Spencer E. Richards -- 11. Respiratory system / Jeffrey R. Kovan and James L. Moeller -- 12. Gastrointestinal system / Scott A. Paluska -- 13. Cardiovascular system / Vivien Lim, Aravind Rao Kokkirala and Paul D. Thompson -- 14. Head injuries / Margot Putukian -- 15. Peripheral neuropathy / Philip D. Zaneteas -- 16. Genitourinary system / Kevin B. Gebke -- 17. Dermatologic conditions in athletes / Delmas J. Bolin -- 18. Acute infections / Christopher A. McGrew -- 19. Hematology / Thomas H. Trojian and Diana L. Heiman -- 20. Endocrine / Thomas H. Trojian -- 21. Environment / Thomas H. Trojian --22. Challenged athletes / Katherine L. Dec -- 23. Common sports-related injuries and illnesses : generic conditions / Douglas B. McKeag -- 24. Head and neck / Scott H. Grindel -- 25. Shoulder and upper extremity / David J. Petron and Umar Khan -- 26. Elbow / Roger L. McCoy II and C. Edward Clark III -- 27. Wrist, hand, and finger injuries / Wade A. Lillegard -- 28. Chest and abdominal wall / Sami F. Rifat -- 29. Thoracic and lumbar spine / Scott W. Eathorne -- 30. Pelvis, hip, and upper leg / David M. Peck -- 31. Knee injuries / E. James Swenson, Jr. -- 32. Lower leg and ankle / Neeru Jayanthi -- 33. Foot and toes / Katherine L. Dec -- 34. Imaging in sports medicine / Jonathan A. Staser and Kenneth A. Buckwalter -- 35. Rehabilitation / Michael D. Jackson -- 36. Sport psychology / Christopher M. Carr -- 37. Drug use / Richard T. Ferro -- 38. Building a sports medicine practice and network / Christopher Madden -- 39. Patient and community education on physical fitness / Eric D. Zemper.
- Acute topics in sport nutrition 2012, KargerBeta-alanine supplementation in high-intensity exercise / Harris, R.C., Sale, C. -- Arginine and citrulline supplementation in sports and exercise : ergogenic nutrients / Sureda, A., Pons, A. -- Dietary nitrate and O2 consumption during exercise / Jones, A.M., Bailey, S.J., Vanhatalo, A. -- GABA supplementation and growth hormone response / Powers, M. -- Exercise, intestinal barrier dysfunction, and probiotic supplementation / Lamprecht, M., Frauwallner, A. -- Pleuran (glucan from pleurotus ostreatus) : an effective nutritional supplement against upper respiratory tract infections / Majtan, J. -- Bovine colostrum and immune function after exercise / Davison, G. -- Supplementation with mixed fruit and vegetable concentrates in relation to exercise, performance and sport : scientific insight and practical relevance / Lamprecht, M. -- Cherry juice targets antioxidant potential and pain relief / Kuehl, K.S. -- Impact of milk consumption and resistance training on body composition of female athletes -- Josse, A.R., Phillips, S.M. -- Glycerol use in hyperhydration and rehydration : scientific update -- Van Rosendal, S.P., Coombes, J.S. -- Salt and fluid loading : effects on blood volume and exercise performance / Mora-Rodriguez, R., Hamouti, N. -- Milk protein and the restoration of fluid balance after exercise / James, L. -- Chocolate milk : a post-exercise recovery beverage for endurance sports / Pritchett, K., Pritchett, R. -- Role of supplementary l-carnitine in exercise and exercise recovery / Huang, A., Owen, K. -- Supplements and inadvertent doping : how big is the risk to athletes? / Judkins, C., Prock, P.
- Adolescent athlete. [1st ed.] 2007, SpringerPrinciples of rehabilitation / Michelina C. Cassella and Kathleen Richards -- Diagnostic Imaging / Vernon M. Chapman and Diego Jaramillo -- Traumatic head injuries / Laura Purcell -- Cervical and thoracic spine injuries / Pierre d' Hemecourt and Jessica Flynn Deede -- Lumbar spine injuries / Merrilee Zetaruk -- Thoracoabdominal injuries / Hamish Kerr, Christine Curtis, and Pierre d' Hemecourt -- Adolescent shoulder injuries / John A. Guido, Jr. and Treg Brown -- Elbow and forearm injuries / Anthony Luke, Margaret Lee, and Marc Safran -- Injuries to the wrist, hand, and fingers / Donald S. Bae -- Pelvic, hip, and thigh injuries / Jason H. Nielson -- Knee injuries / Michelle McTimoney -- Lower leg injuries / Angela D. Smith -- Foot and ankle injuries / Angus M. McBryde, Jr., Mark D. Locke, and John P. Batson.
- Adventure and extreme sports injuries 2013, Springer
- Amino acids and proteins for the athlete. 2nd ed. 2008, CRCnetBASE
- Anabolic steroids 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Athletic enhancement, human nature and ethics 2013, SpringerThe book provides an in-depth discussion on the human nature concept from different perspectives and from different disciplines, analyzing its use in the doping debate and researching its normative overtones. The relation between natural talent and enhanced abilities is scrutinized within a proper conceptual and theoretical framework: is doping to be seen as a factor of the athlete's dehumanization or is it a tool to fulfill his/her aspirations to go faster, higher and stronger? Which characteristics make sports such a peculiar subject of ethical discussion and what are the, both intrinsic and extrinsic, moral dangers and opportunities involved in athletic enhancement? This volume combines fundamental philosophical anthropological reflection with applied ethics and socio-cultural and empirical approaches. Furthermore it presents guidelines to decision- and policy-makers on local, national and international levels.
- Behavioral sport psychology 2011, SpringerOverview of behavioral sport psychology / Garry L. Martin and Kendra Thomson -- Actigraphy : the ambulatory measurement of physical activity / Warren W. Tryon -- Quantitative analysis of sports / Derek D. Reed -- Single-case evaluation of behavioral coaching interventions / James K. Luiselli -- Cognitive assessment in behavioral sport psychology / Bradley Donohue, Yani L. Dickens, and Philip D. Del Vecchio III -- Goal setting and performance feedback / Phillip Ward -- Cognitive-behavioral strategies / Jeffrey L. Brown -- Establishing and maintaining physical exercise / Christopher C. Cushing and Ric G. Steele -- Behavioral momentum in sports / Henry S. Roane -- Developing fluent, efficient, and automatic repertoires of athletic performance / Brian K. Martens and Scott R. Collier -- Sport neuropsychology and cerebral concussion / Frank M. Webbe -- Aggression in competitive sports : using direct observation to evaluate incidence and prevention focused intervention / Chris J. Gee -- Behavioral effects of sport nutritional supplements : fact or fiction? / Stephen Ray Flora -- Cognitive-behavioral coach training : a translational approach to theory, research, and intervention / Ronald E. Smith and Frank L. Smoll -- Conclusions and recommendations : toward a comprehensive framework of evidenced-based practice with performers / Gershon Tenenbaum and Lael Gershgoren.
- Bio-mechanisms of swimming and flying 2008, SpringerBiological aspects of locomotive mechanisms and behaviors of animals while swimming and flying -- Hydrodynamics of swimming and flying -- Biomimetic swimming or flying robots -- Sports science.
- Boxing 2003, ScienceDirect
- Cerebral blood flow, metabolism, and head trauma 2013, Springer
- Combat sports medicine 2009, Springer
- Complications in knee and shoulder surgery 2009, Springer
- CRC desk reference on sports nutrition 2005, CRCnetBASE
- DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic sports medicine. 3rd ed. 2009, MD Consult
- Diabetes and exercise 2009, Springer
- Doping in sports 2010, SpringerHistory of doping and doping control -- Biochemical and physiological aspects of endogenous androgens -- Phase-II metabolism of androgens and its relevance for doping control analysis -- Detecting the administration of endogenous anabolic androgenic steroids -- Synthetic anabolic agents: steroids and nonsteroidal selective androgen receptor modulators -- Nandrolone: a multi-faceted doping agent -- Designer steroids -- Growth hormone -- Mass spectrometry-based analysis of IGF-1 and hGH -- Insulin -- [Beta]-adrenergic stimulation -- Erythropoietin and analogs -- Blood transfusion in sports -- Athlete's biological passport and indirect markers of blood doping -- Masking and manipulation -- Hormonal growth promoting agents in food producing animals -- Some aspects of doping and medication control in equine sports -- Androgenic anabolic steroid abuse and the cardiovascular system -- Side effects of anabolic androgenic steroids: pathological findings and structure-activity relationships -- Gene doping -- Science and the rules governing anti-doping violations.
- Elite young athlete 2011, KargerA key resource for coaches, scientists and clinicians.
- Endocrinology of physical activity and sport. 2nd ed. 2013, SpringerUnderstanding the influence and interaction between physical activity and the endocrine system are of paramount importance in dealing with a multitude of health problems. In Endocrinology of Physical Activity and Sport, renowned physicians and researchers provide a comprehensive and expanded update on the scientific, clinical and practical components of endocrinology as related to sport and exercise. The authors thoroughly review what is known about how such activity affects the endocrine system and how in turn these hormonal responses affect many other organs and systems of the body. In addition, aspects of endocrinology in non-glandular tissue which have endocrine actions are addressed; for example, adipocytes and the release of leptin and related adipocytokines. Further, a wide range of clinically related topics such as athletic amenorrhea, osteopenia, sarcopenia, and hypogonadism are included. This new edition critically integrates what is known about the complex interaction of the endocrine system in the sports context and will again prove immensely valuable to all physicians and clinical investigators treating those active in sports today.
- The epidemiology of injury in adventure and extreme sports / Dennis J. Caine -- The epidemiology of injury in mountaineering, rock and ice climbing / Volker Schöffl ... [et al.] -- The epidemiology of injury in hang-gliding and paragliding / Tiina Rekand -- The epidemiology of injury in scuba diving / Peter L. Buzzacott -- The epidemiology of injury among surfers, kite surfers and personal watercraft riders : wind and waves / Terri J. Pikora, Rebecca Braham, Christina Mills -- The epidemiology of injury in canoeing, kayaking and rafting / Richard C. Franklin, Peter A. Leggat -- The epidemiology of injury in bungee jumping, BASE jumping, and skydiving / Kjetil Søreide -- The epidemiology of extreme hiking injuries in volcanic environments / Travis W. Heggie, Tracey M. Heggie -- The epidemiology of injury in skateboarding / Jamie Hunter -- The epidemiology of injury in ATV and motocross sports / A. Noelle Larson, Amy L. McIntosh.
- Epidemiology of pediatric sports injuries v.1-2, 2005., Kargerv.2, 2005 Kargerpt. 1. Individual sports -- pt. 2. Team sports.
- Essential radiology for sports medicine 2010, SpringerKnee injuries / Melanie A. Hopper and Andrew J. Grainger -- Hip, pelvis, and groin injuries / Philip Robinson -- Ankle and foot injuries / Ne Siang Chew ... [et al.] -- Osseous stress injury in athletes / Melanie A. Hopper and Philip Robinson -- Shoulder injuries / Andrew J. Grainger and Philip F.J. Tirman -- Elbow injuries / Kenneth S. Lee, Michael J. Tuite, and Humberto G. Rosas -- Hand and wrist injuries / Philip J. O'Connor -- Postoperative imaging in sports medicine / Ali Naraghi and Lawrence M. White -- Muscle injury and complications / Abhijit Datir and David A. Connell -- Sports-related disorders of the spine and sacrum / Rob Campbell and Andrew Dunn -- Ultrasound-guided sports intervention / Philip J. O'Connor.
- Essentials of creatine in sports and health 2008, SpringerAn overview of creatine metabolism / Jeff S. Volek, Kevin D. Ballard, and Cassandra E. Forsythe -- Creatine supplementation in strength-power sports / Darryn S. Willoughby -- Creatine supplementation in endurance sports / Joel P. Cramer -- Creatine supplementation and woman athletes / Joan Eckerson -- Creatine consumption and health / Jacques R. Poortmans and Marc Francaux -- Clinical application / Joseph Weir -- Creatine overview : facts, fallacies, and future / Mike Greenwood.
- Exercise physiology 2003, ScienceDirectAncient and early influences / Jack W. Berryman -- The neuromuscular system / Alan J. McComas -- The cardiovascular system / Loring B. Rowell -- The respiratory system / Jerome A. Dempsey and Brian J. Whipp -- The autonomic nervous system / Charles M. Tipton -- The oxygen transport system and maximal oxygen uptake / Jere H. Mitchell and Bengt Saltin -- The metabolic systems: aerobic metabolism and substrate utilization in exercising skeletal muscle / R. James Barnard and John O. Holloszy -- The metabolic systems: anaerobic metabolism (glycolytic and phosphagen) / George A. Brooks and L. Bruce Gladden -- The endocrine system: metabolic effects of the pancreatic, adrenal, thyroidal, and growth hormones / Michael C. Riddell ... [et al.] -- The temperature regulatory system / Elsworth R. Buskirk -- The renal system / Jacques R. Poortmans and Edward J. Zambraski -- The gastrointestinal system / Carl V. Gisolfi
- Exercise, energy balance, and cancer 2013, Springer
- "In Fitness Measures and Health Outcomes in Youth, the IOM assesses the relationship between youth fitness test items and health outcomes, recommends the best fitness test items, provides guidance for interpreting fitness scores, and provides an agenda for needed research. The report concludes that selected cardiorespiratory endurance, musculoskeletal fitness, and body composition measures should be in fitness surveys and in schools. Collecting fitness data nationally and in schools helps with setting and achieving fitness goals and priorities for public health at an individual and national level" Publisher's Summary (excerpt).
- Flexibility, a concise guide 2008, Springer
- Football traumatology 2006, Springer
- Foundations of sport-related brain injuries 2006, Springer
- Foundations of sport-related injuries 2008, SpringerI. Foundations of Injury in Athletics -- Classification of Injuries in Athletics, p. 3-23 -- Science of Training and Injury in Athletics, p. 25-43 -- Balance as a Risk Factor for Athletic Injuries, p. 45-75 -- Fatigue-Related Injuries in Athletes, p. 77-95 -- Nutrition as a Risk Factor for Injury in Elite Athletes, p. 97-109 -- II. Coaches and Athletes' Perspectives of Injury -- Injury in Athletics: Coaches' Point of View, p. 113-146 -- Injury from Athletes' Perspectives, p. 147-159 -- Interviews with Injured Athletes, p. 161-195 -- Overuse Injuries: Students' Points of View, p. 197-216 -- Fitness Assessment in Athletes, p. 217-239 -- III. Psychological Traumas in Athletes -- Psychological Trauma: Unfortunate Experience in Athletics, p. 243-267 -- Fear as Adaptive or Maladaptive Form of Emotional Response, p. 269-287 -- Fear of Injury, Kinesiophobia & Perceived Risk, p. 289-309 -- Multiple Facets of Pain due to Injury, p. 311-330 -- Psychological Trauma: Case Studies, p. 331-355 -- Psychological Trauma: Age & Gender Factors, p. 357-374 -- IV. Concussion in Athletes -- Concussion: Why Bother?, p. 377-398 -- Concussion Classification: Historical Perspectives and Current Trends, p. 399-414 -- Evaluation of Concussion: Signs and Symptoms, p. 415-445 -- Traumatic Brain Injuries in Children, p. 447-466 -- V. Injury Rehabilitation -- Integrated Injury Rehabilitation, p. 469-491 -- EEG & Neurofeedback in Rehabilitation, p. 493-513 -- Virtual Reality in Injury Rehabilitation, p. 515-540.
- Genetics and sports 2009, KargerKey concepts in human genetics : understanding the complex phenotype / W.T. Gibson -- Nature versus nurture in determining athletic ability / T.D. Brutsaert, E.J. Parra -- Genetics and sports : an overview of the pre-molecular biology era / M.W. Peeters ... [et al.] -- Genes, athlete status, and training : an overview / I.I. Ahmetov, V.A. Rogozkin -- Angiotensin : converting enzyme, renin-angiotensin system and human performance / D. Woods -- Actinin-3 and performance / N. yang, F. Garton, K. North -- East African runners : their genetics, lifestyle, and athletic prowess / V.O. Onywera -- Gene-lifestyle interactions and their consequences on human health / J. Pomeroy, A.M. Söderberg, P.W. Franks -- Genetic risk factors for musculoskeletal soft tissue injuries / M. Collins, S.M. Raleigh -- Innovative strategies for treatment of soft tissue injuries in human and animal athletes / A. Hoffmann, G. Gross -- Gene doping : possibilities and practicalities / D.J. Wells -- Genetic testing of athletes / A.G. Williams, H. Wackerhage -- The future of genetic research in exercise science and sports medicine / R.J. Trent, B. Yu.
- Hip and pelvis in sports medicine and primary care 2010, SpringerEpidemiology of hip and pelvis injury -- Physical examination of the hip and pelvis -- Functional and kinetic chain evaluation -- Gait assessment -- Imaging of hip and pelvis injuries -- Adult hip and pelvis disorders -- Hip and pelvis injuries in childhood -- Specific considerations in geriatric athletes -- Hip and pelvis injuries in special populations -- Functional therapeutic and core strengthening -- Manual medicine of the hip and pelvis -- Taping and bracing for pelvic and hip injuries -- Nonsurgical interventions -- Treatment options for osteoarthritis of the hip -- Surgical interventions in hip and pelvis injuries.
- Hormone use and abuse by athletes 2011, Springer
- Imaging of orthopedic sports injuries 2007, Springer
- Is soccer bad for children's heads? 2002, NAP
- Kunst der Höchstleistung 2006, Springer
- Limits of human endurance 2013, KargerCaffeine, exercise, and the brain / R. Meeusen, B. Roelands, L.L. Spriet -- Limits to human endurance : carnitine and fat oxidation / F.B. Stephens, S.D.R. Galloway -- Hydration during intense exercise training / R.J. Maughan, N.L. Meyer -- Intense exercise training and immune function / M. Gleeson, C. Williams -- Physiological and performance adaptations to high-intensity interval training / M.J. Gibala, A.M. Jones -- Effect of beta-alanine supplementation on high-intensity exercise performance / R.C. Harris, T. Stellingwerff -- Dietary protein for muscle hypertrophy / K.D. Tipton, S.M. Phillips -- The role of amino acids in skeletal muscle adaptation to exercise / N. Aguirre, L.J.C. van Loon, K. Baar -- National nutritional programs for the 2012 London Olympic Games : a systematic approach by three different countries / L.M. Burke, N. Meyer, J. Pearce.
- Managing sports injuries. 4th ed. 2011, ScienceDirectHealing -- Sports massage -- Taping in sport -- Physical training and injury -- Exercise therapy -- First contact management -- Lower limb motion during walking, running, and jumping -- The hip and thigh -- The knee -- The shin -- The ankle -- The foot -- The lumbar spine -- The thorax and thoracic spine -- The cervical spine -- Facial injury -- The shoulder -- The elbow -- The wrist and hand.
- Managing the injured athlete 2011, ScienceDirect
- Nerve and vascular injuries in sports medicine 2009, Springer
- Nutrition and fitness 2008, KargerNutrition and fitness from the first Olympiad in 776 BC to the 21st century and the concept of positive health / Simopoulos, A.P. -- Omega-3 fatty acids, exercise, physical activity, and athletics / Simopoulos, A.P. -- Omega-6 fatty acids and excessive adipose tissue development / Ailhaud, G. -- Non-conventional genetic risk factors for cardiovascular disease / Allayee, H. -- ApoE genotype : impact on health, fitness, and nutrition / Angelopoulos, T.J., Lowndes, J.-- Nutrition in the prevention of chronic diseases / Tapsell, L.C., Probst, Y.C. -- Exercise and obesity : lifestyle modification as a means in prevention and treatment / Pavlou, K.N. -- Nutritional risk factors for gastrointestinal cancers : the multiethnic cohort study / Kolonel, L.N. -- Mediterranean food and diets, global resource for the control of metabolic syndrome and chronic diseases / Urquiaga, I. ... [et al.] -- The role of government in nutrition and fitness / Bourne, P.G.-- Balancing the scales : a common-sense look at global nutrition problems and what can be done about them / Clay, W.D. -- Historical perspective : the antiquity of exercise, exercise physiology and the exercise prescription for health / Tipton, C.M. -- Declaration of Olympia on nutrition and fitness : ancient Olympia, Greece, May 28-29, 1996.
- Nutrition and the strength athlete 2001, CRCnetBASE
- Nutritional applications in exercise and sport 2001, CRCnetBASE
- Nutritional assessment of athletes 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Nutritional assessment of athletes. 2nd ed. 2011, CRCnetBASE"Evaluating dietary intake, determining energy metabolism, and conducting other nutritional assessments are essential in understanding the relationships between diet, exercise, health, and physical performance, especially in athletes. Several methods exist, each with their own advantages and limitations. Extensively referenced and filled with numerous tables and figures, this timely book focuses on the nutritional assessment of both recreational and professional athletes, including children, adolescents, and adults. In one volume, it presents methods for all types of nutritional evaluations, including dietary, anthropometric, physical activity needs, biochemical, and clinical assessments"--Provided by publisher.
- Nutritional ergogenic aids 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Orthopedic sports medicine 2011, Springer
- Pediatric fitness 2007, KargerAerobic fitness: what are we measuring? / N. Armstrong, J.R. Welsman -- Anaerobic fitness tests: what are we measuring? / E. Van Praagh -- Secular changes in pediatric aerobic fitness test performance: the global picture / G.R. Tomkinson, T.S. Olds -- Physical fitness of children and adolescents in the United States: status and secular change / R.M. Malina -- Fitness of Canadian children: range from traditional Inuit to sedentary city dwellers, and assessment of secular changes / R.J. Shephard -- Who are the Eurofittest? / G.R.Tomkinson, T.S. Olds, J. Borms -- Changes in Eurofit test performance of Estonian and Lithuanian children and adolescents (1992-2002) / T. Jürimäe ... [et al.] -- Evolution and variability in fitness test performance of Asian children and adolescents / D.J. Macfarlane, G.R.Tomkinson --Secular changes in aerobic fitness test performance of Australasian children and adolescents / G.R.Tomkinson, T.S. Olds -- Prevalence, trends, and environmental influences on child and youth physical activity -- J. Salmon, A. Timperio -- Evolution of maximal oxygen uptake in children / T.W. Rowland -- Distributional changes in the performance of Australian children on tests of cardiorespiratory endurance / J. Dollman, T.S. Olds -- Declines in aerobic fitness: are they only due to increasing fatness? / T.S. Olds, K. Ridley, G.R. Tomkinson.
- Physique, fitness, and performance. 2nd ed. 2007, CRCnetBASE
- Periarticular ligamentous tissue: a biochemical and physiologic assessment /David Amiel, Sakae Sano --Meniscus /Julie A. dodds, Steven P. Arnoczky --Articular cartilage: a brief review of its structure, function, and repair /Wayne H. Akeson, William Bugbee --Skeletal muscle and tendon /Thomas M. Best, John J. Wilson --Cervical spine injuries in the athlete /Rahul Banerjee, Michael P. Bradley, Mark A. Palumbo, Paul D. Fadale --The thoracolumbar spine /Donald Chow --Functional spinal rehabilitation /Lorraine Hendry --Scapulothoracic dysfunction, burners, stingers, thoracic outlet syndrome, and miscellaneous nerve injuries /Marc R. Safran, Anthony C. Luke --Head injures and concussion /Andrew d. Pearle, Ronnie Barnes, Russell F. Warren --Shoulder anatomy and biomechanics /Dawn L. Swarm, Andrew T. Mahar, Derek W. Weichel, Robert A. Pedowitz --Shoulder impingement /James Patrick Tasto, John K. Locke --Shoulder labral tears and instability /George F. Hatch III, John G. costouros, Peter J. MIllett, Jon J.P. Warner --The rotator cuff /Richard K.N. Ryu, Graham R. Hurvitz --Cartilage /Coarlos A. Guanche --Pectoralis major tendon ruptures /George K. Bal, Carl J. Bansamania --Acute injuries: shoulder fractures and acromioclavicular and sternoclavicular joint injuries /Robert Talac, Joel J. Smith --Adhesive capsulitis /Scott P. Fischer, Serge Kaska --Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair /James C. Esch, Jeffrey W. Taborlane --Thermal treatment, sutures, knots, and bone anchors /Robert A. Pedowitz --Throwing injuries /Walter A. Thomas, Heinz R. Hoenecke, Jan Fronek --Principles of shoulder rehabilitation /Benjamin D. Rubin --Elbow injuries /Ronald M. Selby, Marc R. Safran, Stephen J. O'Brien --Injuries of the wrist and hand /Ethan R. Wiesler, Jian Shen, Anastasios Papadonikolakis --Anatomy and kinematics of the hip /Mark R. Hutchinson, John Hung, J.W. Thomas Byrd --Hip arthroscopy /Michael H. Dienst --Intra-articular lesions /Aaron A. Bare, Carlos A. Guanche --Hip morphology and related pathology /J.W. Thomas Byrd --Extra-articular lesions /Aaron A. Bare, Carlos A. Guanche --Snapping hip syndrome /J.W. Thomas Byrd --Occult groin injuries: athletic pubalgia, sports hernia, and osteitis pubis /Michael B. Gerhardt, John A. Brown, Eric Giza --Sports related boney lesions of the hip: fractures, stress fractures, avulsion, AVN, dislocation, and subluxation /Carlos A.M. Higuera, Joshua M. Polster, Wael K. Barsoum, Viktor E. Krebs --Basic science of the knee /Donald H. Hohnson, Paul Johnson, Ali Alsuwaidi --The anterior cruciate ligament --Anterior cruciate reconstruction /Andrew Pickle, Aaron Campbell, Donald H. Johnson --Posterior mini-incision ACLR hamstring harvest /Chadwick Prodromos --Anatomic double bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction /Steven B. Cohen, James Starman, Freddie H. Fu --Ligament injury and pain management /R. Lance Synder, Eric C. McCarty --Medial collateral ligament /Donald H. Johnson --Posterior cruciate ligament and posterolateral reconstruction /Gregory C. Fanelli -Posterior curciate ligament reconstruction with the posterior inlay graft /Donald H. Johnson --The ACL PCL injured (dislocated) knee /Gregory C. Fanellis, Daniel R. Orcutt, Justin D. Harris, David Zijerdi, Craig J. Edson --The meniscus /Monika Voleshy, Donald H. Johnson --Meniscus allografts /Walter R. Shelton --Patellar problems in athletes /Jeffrey Halbrecht --Fractures - tibial plateau, distal femur, patella, avulsions of the intercondylar eminence, Osgood-Schlatter disease /James H. Lubowitz, Wylie S. Elson, Dan Guttmann --Tendon disorders /William D. Stanish, Horacio Yepes, Amro Al-Hibshi --Chondral injuries and osteoarthritis --Chondral injuries in the knee /F. Alan Barber --Osteochondritis dissecans on the knee /Dawn L. Swarm, Robert A. PedowitzCartilage transplantation /Alberto Gobbi, Ramces A. Francisco --High tibial osteotomy /Tim Spalding, Price A.M. Gallie --Unicompartmental knee replacement /Jack M. Bert --Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with patellar tendon autograft: principles of rehabilitation /K. Donald Shelbrourne, Cairon Pfennig, Scott E. Lawrance --Leg, ankle, and foot: history, physical, and investigations /Kevin J. Wing, Alastair Younger --Muscle strains and contusions /Michael P. Swords, Douglas P. Dietzel --Chronic compartment syndrome /Robert A. Pdeowitz, Derek W. Weichel --Instability of the ankle /Murray J. Penner --Treatment of osteochondral lesions of the talar dome /James W. Stone --Tendon disorders in the lower extremity /Mark A. Glazebrook --Stress fractures of the athletic leg, ankle, and foot /Donald R. Boahy, Jonathan P. Cornelius, John G. Anderson --Ligamentous lisfranc joint injuries: leg - ankle - foot: midfoot injuries, lisfranc /Michael S. Aronow --Hallux valgus in the athlete /Walter J. Pedowitz, David I. Pedowitz --Stress fractures in athletes /Kurt P. Spindler, Michael S. George, Christopher C. Kaeding, Annunziato Amendola --Female issues in sport: risk factors and prevention of ACL injuries /Ligament injuries in children and adolescents /Patrick S. Brannan, Henry G. Chambers --Environmental issues for the athlete /Mark D. Bracker, Margoire Delo, Elise T. Gordon, Judy R. Schauer --Team physician issues; preparticipation evaluation /Bernie Lalonde --Running on the field /Richard Hawkins --Traveling team physician /Chadwick Prodromos --Mass participation events /Helen D. Iams, James Williams --Team physician consensus statement --Sideline preparedness for the team physician --Team physician and conditioning of athletes for sports --Team physician and return to play issues --Female athlete issues for the team physician.
- Principles of exercise biochemistry. 3rd rev. ed. 2004, Karger
- Rotator cuff tear 2012, KargerEpidemiology, genetics, and biological factors of rotator cuff tears / Longo, U.G. ... [et al.] -- Biomechanics of the rotator cuff : European perspective / Longo, U.G. ... [et al.] -- Role of biomechanics in rotator cuff pathology : North American perspective / Karas, V.; Cole, B.J.; Wang, V.M. -- The scapula in rotator cuff disease / Ben Kibler, W. -- Instability and rotator cuff tear / Porcellini, G. ... [et al.] -- Growth factors and tendon healing / Oliva, F. ... [et al.] -- Autologous blood products in rotator cuff repair / Mei-Dan, O.; Carmont, M.R. -- Tendinopathy of the long head of the biceps / Snyder, G.M.; Mair, S.D.; Lattermann, C. -- Conservative treatment and rotator cuff tear progression / Longo, U.G. ... [et al.] -- Operative management of partial- and full-thickness rotator cuff tears -- Franceschi, F. ... [et al.] -- Subscapularis tears / Longo, U.G. ... [et al.] -- Single- and double-row repair for rotator cuff tears -- biology and mechanics / Papalia, R. ... [et al.] -- Arthroscopic transosseous rotator cuff repair / Longo, U.G. ... [et al.] -- Treatment options for chronic retracted degenerative rotator cuff tears / Deering, S.J.; Mair, S.D.; Lattermann, C. -- Synthetic augmentation in massive rotator cuff tears / Longo, U.G. ... [et al.] -- Understanding and preventing complications in repairing rotator cuff tears / Osti, L. ... [et al.].
- Scientific aspects of women's gymnastics 2003, Karger
- Sports cardiology 2012, Springer
- Sports cardiology casebook 2009, Springer
- Sports cardiology essentials 2011, SpringerSudden cardiac death in athletes: scope of the problem and emergency response -- Cardiovascular screening of athletes: focused exam, electrocardiograms, and limited echocardiograms -- Echocardiography and advanced cardiac imaging in athletes -- Exercise training and prescription -- Role of genetic testing for sudden death predisposing heart conditions in athletes -- Shortness of breath -- Chest pain in the athlete: differential diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment -- The collapsed athlete -- Syncope/presyncope in the competitive athlete -- Electrophysiological approach to syncope and near-syncope in the athlete -- Heart murmurs -- Management of hypertension in athletes -- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy -- Commotio cordis: practical aspects in sports -- Coronary artery anomalies and sports activities -- Participation in sports for the athlete with the Marfan syndrome -- Congenital heart disease: exercise and sports participation -- Athlete with a device: implantable cardioverter defibrillators and pacemakers -- Long QT syndrome and other channelopathies -- Cardiac effects of ergogenic aides and supplements -- Return-to-play decisions in athletes with cardiac conditions: guidelines and considerations.
- Sports drinks 2001, CRCnetBASE
- Sports injuries 2012, Springer
- Sports injuries in children and adolescents 2011, Springer
- Sports injuries. 2nd ed. 2001, Ovid
- Sports nutrition 2011, KargerCarbohydrate ingestion during exercise : effects on performance, training adaptations, and trainability of the gut / Jeukendrup, A.E.; McLaughlin, J. -- Altering endogenous carbohydrate availability to support training adaptations / Philp, A., Baar, K., Burke, L.M. -- Metabolic regulation of fat use during exercise and in recovery -- Spriet, L.L. -- Fat adaptation science : low-carbohydrate, high-fat diets to alter fuel utilization, and promote training adaptation / Hawley, J.A. -- Dietary protein to support muscle hypertrophy / van Loon, L.J.C., Gibala, M.J. -- Effect of protein, dairy components, and energy balance in optimizing body composition / Phillips, S.M., Zemel, M.B. -- Effect of cell hydration on metabolism / Lang, F. -- Practical nutritional recommendations for the athlete -- Maughan, R.J., Burke, L.M.
- Sports nutrition. Energy metabolism and exercise 2008, CRCnetBASEIntroduction to sports nutrition: energy metabolism / Barry Braun and Benjamin F. Miller -- Utilization of carbohydrates in energy production / J. Andrew Doyle, Charilaos Papadopoulos, and Michael S. Green -- Utilization of fats in energy production / Serge P. von Duvillard ... [et al.] -- Utilization of proteins in energy metabolism / Mauro G. Di Pasquale -- Laboratory methods for determining energy expenditures of athletes / Robert G. McMurray and Kristin S. Ondrak -- Field assessment of physical activity and energy expenditure among athletes / Kelley K. Pettee, Catrine Tudor-Locke, and Barbara E. Ainsworth -- Influence of dietary fiber on body weight regulation / Daniel D. Gallaher -- Nutritional implications of sex and age differences in energy metabolism / A.C. Maher and Mark A. Tarnopolsky -- Body weight regulation and energy needs / Melina M. Manore and Janice L. Thompson.
- Sports nutrition. Fats and proteins 2007, CRCnetBASEIntroduction to sports nutrition: fats and proteins / John J.B. Anderson -- Total fats, saturated fats, and cholesterol / Heather E. Rasmussen and Ji-Young Lee -- Medium-chain triglycerides / Wayne E. Billon -- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids / Karina R. Lora and Nancy M. Lewis -- Conjugated linoleic acid / Celeste G. Koster and Martha A. Belury -- Octacosanol and wheat germ oil / Susan H. Mitmesser -- Protein: quantity and quality / Mark A. Tarnopolsky and Brian W. Timmons -- Whey, casein, and soy proteins / Brian S. Synder and Mark D. Haub -- Creatine / Richard B. Kreider -- Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate / Catherine G.R. Jackson -- Carnitine / Sara Chelland Campbell and Robert J. Moffatt -- [Beta]-Hydroxy-[Beta]-Methylbutyrate / Steven L. Nissen -- Branched-chain amino acids / Michael Gleeson -- Glutamine / Satya S. Jonnalagadda -- Other individual amino acids / Neal F. Spruce and C. Alan Titchenal -- Recommended proportions of carbohydrates to fats to proteins in diets / Henry C. Lukaski.Introduction to sports nutrition: fats and proteins / John J.B. Anderson -- Total fats, saturated fats, and cholesterol / Heather E. Rasmussen and Ji-Young Lee -- Medium-chain triglycerides / Wayne E. Billon -- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids / Karina R. Lora and Nancy M. Lewis -- Conjugated linoleic acid / Celeste G. Koster and Martha A. Belury -- Wheat germ oil and octacosanol / Susan H. Mitmesser -- Protein, quantity and quality / Mark A. Tarnopolsky and Brian W. Timmons -- Whey, casein, and soy proteins / Brian S. Synder and Mark D. Haub -- Creatine / Richard B. Kreider -- Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate / Catherine G.R. Jackson -- Carnitine / Sara A. Chelland-Campbell and Robert J. Moffatt -- Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyrate / Steven L. Nissen -- Branched-chain amino acids / Michael Gleeson -- Glutamine / Satya S. Jonnalagadda -- Other individual amino acids / Neal F. Spruce and Alan Titchenal -- Recommended proportions of carbohydrates to fats to proteins in diets / Henry C. Lukaski.
- Sports nutrition. Vitamins and trace elements. 2nd ed. 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Surgical techniques in sports medicine 2007, Ovid
- Tai chi chuan 2008, KargerTemporal characteristics of foot movement in tai chi exercise / Hong, Y., Mao, D.W., Lia, J.X. -- The exercise intensity of tai chi chuan / Lan, C., Chen, S.-Y., Lai, J.-S. -- Tai chi exercise and muscle strength and endurance in older people / Xu, D.Q., Hong, Y., Li, J.X. -- Muscle action pattern and knee extensor strength of older tai chi exercisers / Wu, G. -- The effectiveness of tai chi exercise in improving aerobic capacity : an updated meta-analysis / Taylor-Piliae, R.E. -- Tai chi exercise in improving cardiorespiratory capacity / Thornton, E.W. --Effects of a traditional taiji/qigong curriculum on older adults' immune response to influenza vaccine / Yang, Y. ... [et al.] -- Tai chi exercise and proprioception behavior in old people / Li; J.X., Xu, D.Q., Hong, Y. -- Neural mechanisms underlying balance control in tai chi / Gatts, S. -- Sensorimotor control of balance : a tai chi solution for balance disorders in older subjects / Tsang, W.W.N., Hui-Chan, C.W.Y -- Tai chi and balance control / Wong, A.M.K., Lan, C. -- Tai chi and falls prevention in older people / Harmer, P.A., Li, F. --Tai chi exercise and the improvement of mental and physical health among college students / Wang, Y.T. -- Effect of tai chi on depressive symptoms amongst Chinese older patients with major depression : the role of social support / Chou, K.-L. -- Tai chi exercise and the improvement of health and well-being in older adults / Yau, M.K.-s. -- Teaching tai chi with mindfulness-based stress reduction to middle school children in the inner-city : a review of the literature and approaches / Wall, R.B. --Tai chi chuan in the management of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease / Klein, P.J. -- Tai chi training for patients with coronary heart disease / Lan, C. ... [et al.] -- Tai chi exercise in patients with chronic heart failure / Yeh, G.Y., Wayne, P.M., Phillips, R.S. -- Tai chi chuan for breast cancer survivors / Mustian, K.M., Palesh, O.G., Flecksteiner, S.A. -- Tai chi improves pain and functional status in adults with rheumatoid arthritis : results of a pilot single-blinded randomized controlled trial / Wang, C. -- Effects of tai chi exercise on patients with type 2 diabetes / Wang, J.H.
- Tendon injuries 2005, SpringerPart I. Basic Sciences, Etiology, Pathomechanics, and Imaging --1. Anatomy of Tendons / Moira O'Brien, p. 3-13 -- 2. Mechanical Properties of Tendons / Constantinos Maganaris and Marco Narici, p. 14-21 -- 3. Growth and Development of Tendons / Laurence Dahners, p. 22-24 -- 4. Aging and Degeneration of Tendons / Pekka Kannus, Mika Paavola and Lászlo Józsa, p. 25-31 -- 5. Epidemiology of Tendon Problems in Sport / Mika Paavola, Pekka Kannus and Markku Järvinen, p. 32-39 -- 6. Neurogenic, Mast Cell, and Gender Variables in Tendon Biology: Potential Role in Chronic Tendinopathy / David Hart, Cyril Frank, Alison Kydd, Tyler Ivie, Paul Sciore and Carol Reno, p. 40-48 -- 7. Imaging of Tendon Ailments / Tudor Hughes, p. 49-60 -- Part II. Anatomical Sites and Presentation -- 8. Injury of the Musculotendinous Junction / Jude Sullivan and Thomas Best, p. 63-69 -- 9. Insertional Tendinopathy in Sports / Per Renström and Thomas Hach, p. 70-85 -- 10. Tendon Avulsions in Children and Adolescents / Sakari Orava and Urho Kujala, p. 86-89.
- Thermoregulation and human performance 2008, KargerThe evolutionary basis of thermoregulation and exercise performance / F.E. Marino -- Comparative thermoregulation and the quest for athletic supremacy / F.E. Marino -- Thermoregulation, fatigue, and exercise modality / R. Tucker -- Neuromuscular response to exercise heat stress / S.S. Cheung -- Intestinal barrier dysfunction, endotoxemia, and gastrointestinal symptoms : the "canary in the coal mine" during exercise-heat stress? / G.P. Lambert -- Effects of peripheral cooling on characteristics of local muscle / E. Drinkwater -- Cooling interventions for the protection and recovery of exercise performance from exercise-induced heat stress / R. Duffield -- Ethnicity and temperature regulation / M.I. Lambert, T. Mann, J.P. Dugas -- Exercise heat stress and metabolism / T. Mündel.
- Trauma biomechanics. 2nd ed. 2007, Springer
- Type 1 diabetes 2012, Springer
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
Shortcut for iPhone
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
Can't find it?
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Authors: Adrian M.K. Thomas, Arpan K. Banerjee