Books by Subject
- Adult ADHD. Third edition. 2013, Springer
- American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of psychopharmacology. 4th ed. 2009, PsychiatryOnline
- Antiepileptic drug interactions. Second edition. 2013, Springer
- Behavioral neurobiology of depression and its treatment 2013, SpringerThe book highlights important new research using current state-of-the-art approaches by prominent researchers in the field of depression. A broad range of topics is covered, beginning with a description of the phenotypic features of clinical depression, followed by chapters on the cellular and molecular basis, functional neuroimaging correlates and information-processing accounts. Finally, existing and novel treatment approaches are covered. In this way the volume brings together the key disciplines involved in the neurobiological understanding of depression to provide an update of the field and outlook to the future. Together, the volume chapters provide focused and critical reviews that span a broad range of topics suitable for both students and established investigators interested in the present state of depression research.
- Biological basis of sex differences in psychopharmacology 2011, Springer
- Chemotherapy in psychiatry. 3rd ed. 2013, Springer
- General principles of psychopharmacotherapy with children and adolescents -- Sympathomimetic amines and central nervous system stimulants -- First generation/typical antipsychotic drugs -- Second generation/atypical and other antipsychotic drugs -- Antidepressant drugs -- Mood stabilizers : lithium carbonate and antiepileptics -- Antianxiety drugs -- Other drugs.
- Current antipsychotics 2012, Springer"Six decades after the serendipitous discovery of chlorpromazine as an antipsychotic and four decades after the launch of clozapine, the first atypical or second generation antipsychotic, psychopharmacology has arrived at an important crossroad. It is clear that pharmacological research and pharmaceutical development must now focus on complementary or even alternative mechanisms of action to address unmet medical needs, i.e. poorly treated domains of schizophrenia, improved acceptance by patients, better adherence to medication, safety in psychoses in demented patients, and avoiding cardiac and metabolic adverse effects. The first completely novel mechanisms evolving from our insights into the pathophysiology of psychotic disorders, especially the role of glutamatergic mechanisms in schizophrenia, are now under development, and further principles are on the horizon. This situation, in many respects similar to that when the initial second-generation antipsychotics became available, can be rewarding for all. Preclinical and clinical researchers now have the opportunity to confirm their hypotheses and the pharmaceutical industry may be able to develop really novel classes of therapeutics...Our intention was to capture both the accumulated preclinical and clinical knowledge about current antipsychotics as well as prospects for new and potentially more specific antischizophrenia principles. These efforts should be based on the pathophysiology of the diseases and the affected neurotransmitter systems. Since preclinical research on antipsychotic compounds is only reliable when intimately linked through translational aspects to clinical results, we decided to include clinical science as well. It turned out that that this endeavor could not be covered by a single volume. We [prepared] two volumes: Current Antipsychotics and Novel Antischizophrenia Treatments. These topics cannot really be separated from one another and should be seen as a composite entity despite the somewhat arbitrary separation of contributions into two volumes. The continuing challenges of developing improved and safer antipsychotic medications remain of concern and are discussed in the first volume. The new opportunities for the field to develop and license adjunctive treatments for the negative symptoms and cognitive deficits that are treated inadequately by existing compounds have been incentivized recently and provide the focus for the second volume."--Publisher's description.
- Encyclopedia of psychopharmacology 2010, Springer
- Essentials of clinical psychopharmacology. 2nd ed. 2006, PsychiatryOnline
- Estrogen effects in psychiatric disorders 2005, Springer
- Handbook of the behavioral neurobiology of serotonin. 1st ed. 2010, ScienceDirectSection 1: Functional anatomy of the serotonergic system -- Evolution of serotonin : sunlight to suicide / Efrain C. Azmitia -- Genetic organisation of the serotonergic system / Ursula M. D'Souza and Ian W. Craig -- The neuronatomy of the serotonergic system / Jean-Pierre Hornung -- Ultrastructure of the serotonin innervation in mammalian central nervous system / Laurent Descarries, Mustapha Riad and Martin Parent -- Classification and signaling characteristics of 5-HT receptors / Joel Bockaert, Sylvie Claeysen, Aline Dumuis and Philippe Marin -- Distribution of 5-HT receptors in the central nervous system / Guadalupe Mengod, Roser Cort s, M. Teresa Vilar and Daniel Hoyer -- Measuring serotonin activity in vivo in the brains of animals and humans / Charles A Marsden -- Section 2: The neurophysiology of serotonin -- Activity of brain serotonergic neurons in relation to physiology and behavior / Barry L. Jacobs and Casimir A. Fornal -- Electrophysiology of serotonin receptors / Gerard J. Marek -- Tryptophane hydroxylase and serotonin synthesis regulation / Hiroyuki Hasegawa and Kazuhiro Nakamura -- The degradation of serotonin : role of MAO / Marco Bortolato, Kevin Chen and Jean C Shih -- Cellular effects of serotonin in the CNS / Rodrigo Andrade and Sheryl G. Beck -- Serotonergic feedback control / Trevor Sharp -- Tryptophan depletion and serotonin release : a critical reappraisal / Matthijs G.P. Feenstra and Geoffrey van der Plasse -- Serotonin interaction with other transmitter systems / Albert Adell, Anal a Bortolozzi, Llorenc D iaz-Mataix, Noem Santana, Pau Celada, and Francesc Artigas -- Serotonergic regulation of rhythmical activity of the brain, concentrating on the hippocampus / Robert P. Vertes -- 5-HT neurons and central CO 2 chemoreception / Carolin I. Dohle and George B. Richerson --Section 3: Serotonin and behavioural control -- Serotonin and development / Patricia M. Whitaker-Azmitia -- Serotonin and basal sensory : motor control / Robert J. Carey -- Role of the serotonergic system in appetite and ingestion control / Michelle D. Lee and Peter G. Clifton -- Serotonin and sexual behavior / Lynda Uphouse and Jutatip Guptarak -- Serotonin in mood and emotion / Julie G. Hensler -- Serotonin and the neurobiology of anxious states / Christopher A. Lowry and Matthew W. Hale -- Role of Serotonin in Brain Reward and Regulation of Alcohol Drinking Behavior / W. J. McBride -- Role of central serotonin in impulsivity and compulsivity : Comparative studies in experimental animals and humans / TW Robbins & MJ Crockett -- Experimental studies on the role(s) of serotonin in learning and memory functions / Jean-Christophe Cassel -- Social behavior and serotonin / Elif Aysimi Duman and Turhan Canli -- Serotonin in pain and pain control / Claudia Sommer -- Section 4: Serotonin in disease conditions --The Impact of Stress on Serotonergic Neurotransmission / Astrid C.E. Linthorst and Johannes M.H.M. Reul -- Role for serotonin in depression / Gregory V. Carr and Irwin Lucki -- The role of serotonin in drug addiction / Christian P. M ller, Martin E. Pum, Gunter Schumann and Joseph P. Huston -- The serotonergic system in obsessive compulsive disorders / Addy van Dijk, Andre Klompmakers, and Damiaan Denys --The role of serotonin in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) / Robert D. Oades -- Serotonin and schizophrenia / Boris B. Quednow, Mark A. Geyer, and Adam L. Halberstadt -- Serotonin and serotonin receptors in hallucinogen action / Adam L. Halberstadt and David E. Nichols -- The role of serotonin in cortical development : implications for Autism Spectrum Disorder [ASD] / Christine F. Hohmann and Mary E. Blue -- Serotonin in panic and anxiety disorders / Francisco Silveira Guimar es, H lio Zangrossi Jr., Cristina Marta Del Ben and Frederico Guilherme Graeff -- Serotonin and agression / Isabel M. Quadros, Aki Takahashi and Klaus A. Miczek -- Altered serotonin function in anorexia and bulimia nervosa / Vikas Duvvuri, Ursula F Bailer and Walter H Kaye -- Genetic, epigenetic, and environmental factors in serotonin associated disease conditions / Eva Friedel & Andreas Heinz -- The Behavioral Genetics of Serotonin : Relevance to Anxiety and Depression / Olivia F. O'Leary and John F. Cryan -- Functional pharmacogenetics of serotonin receptors in psychiatric drug action / Olga O. Yevtushenko, Gavin P. Reynolds.
- Inflammation in psychiatry 2013, KargerBasic aspects of the immunology of neuroinflammation / Wohleb, E.S.; Godbout, J.P. -- Stress and neuroinflammation / Grippo, A.J., Scotti, M.-A.L. -- Role of inflammation in depression : implications for phenomenology, pathophysiology and treatment / Raison, C.L., Miller, A.H. -- Virus infection as a cause of inflammation in psychiatric disorders / Bechter, K. -- Inflammation, neurotoxins and psychiatric disorders / Myint, A.-M. -- Essential fatty acids as potential anti-inflammatory agents in the treatment of affective disorders / Song, C. -- The brain-gut axis : a target for treating stress-related disorders / Scott, L.V., Clarke, G., Dinan, T.G. -- The question of pro-inflammatory immune activity in schizophrenia and the potential importance of anti-inflammatory drugs / Arolt, V., Ambrée, O. -- Inflammation as the cause of the metabolic syndrome in depression / Leonard, B.E. -- Glucocorticoids and inflammation : a double-headed sword in depression? / Horowitz, M.A. ... [et al.] -- Co-morbidity between cardiovascular pathology and depression : role of inflammation -- Halaris, A. -- Inflammatory and oxidative and nitrosative stress cascades as new drug targets in myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome -- Maes, M. -- Peripheral inflammation and cognitive aging -- Lim, A., Krajina, K., Marsland, A.L. -- Inflammation in suicidality : implications for novel treatment options / Janelidze, S., Brundin, L.
- Manual of clinical psychopharmacology. 7th ed. 2010, PsychiatryOnline
- Manual of psychiatric therapeutics. 3rd ed. 2003, Ovid
- Metabolic effects of psychotropic drugs 2009, KargerMetabolic syndrome and schizophrenia : is inflammation the cause? / Leonard, B.E. -- Insulin resistance in bipolar women : effects of mood-stabilizing drugs / Vemuri, M. ... [et al.] -- Obesity and mental illness / Citrome, L.; Vreeland, B. -- Glucose abnormalities in schizophrenia, bipolar and major depressive disorders / Bushe, C. -- Screening for diabetes and cardiovascular risk factors in people with serious mental illness / Holt, R.I.G.; Peveler, R.C. -- Stress axis dysfunction : a common finding in schizophrenia and the metabolic syndrome? / Afzal, A.; Thakore, J. -- Metabolic syndrome in psychiatric inpatients treated for depression / Goethe, J.W.; Szarek, B.L.; Caley, C.F. -- Hyperprolactinaemia associated with antipsychotic medications / Fitzgerald, P.; Dinan, T.G. -- Impact of hyperprolactinaemia on the general health of patients with schizophrenia / Wildgust, H.J.; Kohen, D.
- Neurogenesis and neural plasticity 2013, SpringerNeurogenesis in the Adult Mammalian Brain: How Much Do We Need, How Much Do We Have? /Ilias Kazanis --Neurogenesis and Hippocampal Plasticity in Adult Brain /Yan Gu, Stephen Janoschka, Shaoyu Ge --Adult-Born Neurons in the Olfactory Bulb: Integration and Functional Consequences /Gilles Gheusi, Gabriel Lepousez, Pierre-Marie Lledo --Network, Cellular, and Molecular Mechanisms Underlying Long-Term Memory Formation /Mariana Carasatorre, Víctor Ramírez-Amaya --Neurotrophins and Synaptic Plasticity /Andrea Gómez-Palacio-Schjetnan, Martha L. Escobar --Differential Effects of Stress and Glucocorticoids on Adult Neurogenesis /Timothy J. Schoenfeld, Elizabeth Gould --Effects of Environmental Enrichment Exposure on Synaptic Transmission and Plasticity in the Hippocampus /Michael J. Eckert, Wickliffe C. Abraham --All About Running: Synaptic Plasticity, Growth Factors and Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis /Carmen Vivar, Michelle C. Potter, Henriette van Praag --The Effect of Systemic Chemotherapy on Neurogenesis, Plasticity and Memory /Peter Wigmore --Novel Insights into Depression and Antidepressants: A Synergy Between Synaptogenesis and Neurogenesis? /Francis Rodriguez Bambico, Catherine Belzung --Deficient Plasticity in the Hippocampus and the Spiral of Addiction: Focus on Adult Neurogenesis /Juan J. Canales --Prolonged Running, not Fluoxetine Treatment, Increases Neurogenesis, but does not Alter Neuropathology, in the 3xTg Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease /Michael W. Marlatt, Michelle C. Potter --Hippocampal Neurogenesis and Ageing /Sébastien Couillard-Després --Repair of the CNS Using Endogenous and Transplanted Neural Stem Cells /R. C. Trueman, A. Klein, H. S. Lindgren, M. J. Lelos.
- Neuropsychopharmacology 2002, Ovid
- Nicotine psychopharmacology 2009, SpringerGlobal patterns of nicotine and tobacco consumption / S.K. Hammond -- Nicotine chemistry, metabolism, kinetics and biomarkers / N.L. Benowitz, J. Hukkanen and P. Jacob, 3rd -- Nicotine content and delivery across tobacco products / M.V. Djordjevic and K.A. Doran -- The road to discovery of neuronal nicotinic cholinergic receptor subtypes / A.C. Collins ... [et al.] -- Magnetic resonance imaging studies of cigarette smoking / A. Azizian ... [et al.] -- In vivo brain imaging of human exposure to nicotine and tobacco / A. Sharma and A.L. Brody -- Molecular and cellular mechanisms of action of nicotine in the CNS / J. Barik and S. Wonnacott -- The neuronal pathways mediating the behavioral and addictive properties of nicotine / D.J. Balfour -- Molecular genetics of nicotine metabolism / J.C. Mwenifumbo and R.F. Tyndale -- Sex differences in nicotine action / S. Pogun and G. Yararbas -- Recognising nicotine: the neurobiological basis of nicotine discrimination / J.W. Smith and I.P. Stolerman -- Effects of nicotine in experimental animals and humans: an update on addictive properties / B. Le Foll and S.R. Goldberg -- Discriminative stimulus effects of nicotine in humans / K.A. Perkins -- Rodent models of nicotine withdrawal syndrome / D.H. Malin and P. Goyarzu -- Approaches, challenges, and experience in assessing free nicotine / D.L. Ashley ... [et al.] -- Tobacco industry manipulation of nicotine dosing / G.F. Wayne and C.M. Carpenter -- Pharmacotherapy for tobacco dependence / R.V. Fant ... [et al.] -- Nicotine psychopharmacology: policy and regulatory / J.E. Henningfield and M. Zeller.
- Novel antischizophrenia treatments 2012, SpringerThis volume tries to put current therapy - achievements, shortcomings, remaining medical needs - and emerging new targets into the context of increasing knowledge regarding the genetic and neurodevelopmental contributions to the pathophysiology of schizophrenia. Some of the chapters also deal with respective experimental and clinical methodology, biomarkers, and translational aspects of drug development. The volume concentrates on reviewing the ongoing research attempting to identify novel treatments for the cognitive deficits and negative symptoms of schizophrenia, which are not treated adequately by current antipsychotic medications.
- Pharmacotherapy for child and adolescent psychiatric disorders. 2nd ed., rev. and expanded. 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Pharmacotherapy of depression. 2nd ed. 2011, Springer
- Practice questions in psychopharmacology. Volume 1 2011, Springer
- Practitioner's guide to prescribing antiepileptics and mood stabilizers for adults with intellectual disabilities 2012, Springer
- "Fully updated for its Fifth Edition, Principles and Practice of Psychopharmacotherapy summarizes the latest data on hundreds of drug and device-based therapies and offers practical, evidence-based guidelines and treatment strategies for virtually every psychiatric disorder. Highlights of this edition include expanded coverage of pharmacogenomics, updates on treatments for elderly patients, and discussion of mechanisms of action for drugs used in sleep disorders, especially narcolepsy"--Provided by publisher.
- Psychopharmacogenetics 2006, Springer
- Self-assessment in clinical psychopharmacology. [2nd ed.]. 2007, PsychiatryOnline
- Serotonin and anxiety 2012, Springer
- Sleep and sleep disorders 2006, SpringerGABA[subscript A] receptor subtypes in sedation and hypnosis / Esa R. Korpi -- Sleep hippocampal theta rhythm and sensory processing / Marisa Pedemonte and Ricardo A. Velluti -- Monoaminergic mechanisms in the regulation of sleep-wakefulness: special emphasis on preoptic noradrenergic system / Vijay Ramesh and Velayudhan Mohan Kumar -- REM sleep function and brain monoamine regulation: an application of the search activity concept / Vadim S. Rotenberg -- Role of wakefulness area in the brainstem reticular formation in regulating rapid eye movement sleep / Birendra N. Mallick ... [et al.] -- The mechanistic relationship between NREM sleep and anesthesia / Laura E. Nelson, Nicholas P. Franks, and Mervyn Maze -- Time-dependent psychotropic drug effects: hints of pharmacochronomics, broader than circadian time structures / Haruo Nagayama ... [et al.] -- Melatonin interaction with BZ-Gaba[subscript A] receptors: implications for sleep induction / Lennard P. Niles -- Melatonin: a chronobiotic that not only shifts rhythms / Dieter Kunz and Richard Mahlberg -- Melatonin and human sleep / Irina V. Zhdanova -- Melatonin efficacy to treat circadian alterations of sleep in Alzheimer's disease / Daniel P. Cardinali ... [et al.] -- Pharmacotherapy for seasonal affective disorder / Timo Partonen -- Use and discontinuation of hypnosedative medications / Mirko Petrovic -- Long-term use of sleeping pills in chronic insomnia / Milton Kramer -- Risks of chronic hypnotic use / Daniel F. Kripke -- Effects of psychotropics on driving performance / Henry J. Moller, Colin M. Shapiro, and Leonid Kayumov -- Diagnosis, pathophysiology and treatment of hypersomnias / Sebastiaan Overeem and Michel Billiard -- Chronic disease and sleep architecture pharmacotherapeutic considerations / James J. Herdegen -- Benzodiazepines for sedation in infants and children / Eugene Ng and Vibhuti Shah -- The pharmacological management of fatigue and sleepiness in affective disorders / Karl Doghramji -- Next-day residual effects of sleeping medications on driving ability: a review of the literature / Joris C. Verster, Marinus N. Verbaten, and Edmund R. Volkerts -- Sleep and pain / Wilfred R. Pigeon, Hyung Park, and Michael J. Sateia -- Head injuries and sleep / Chanth Seyone and Babita Kara -- Psychopharmacological management of restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movements in sleep / Raed Hawa ... [et al.] -- A comparison of visual analog scale and categorical ratings in assessing the patient's estimate of sleep quality / Nava Zisapel, Ricardo Tarrasch, and Moshe Laudon -- The pharmacostrategy of treating sleep disorders in Parkinsonism / Jean-Jacques Askenasy -- The neuropharmacology of nightmares / J.F. Pagel -- The night eating syndrome / Grethe Seta Birketvedt and Jon R. Florholmen -- Drug effects on dreaming / Mehmet Yucel Agargun and Hanefi Ozbek -- Sleep problems in primary care / Alan G. Wade -- SSRIs and sleep in man / Sue J. Wilson and David J. Nutt -- Sleep and antipsychotic drugs in schizophrenia patients / Jaime M. Monti and Daniel Monti -- Sleep and epilepsy: from interrelationships to influence of antiepileptic drugs / Antonio Martins da Silva ... [et all.] -- Herbal medicines and sleep / Marcello Spinella.
- Textbook of psychopharmacology 2009, PsychiatryOnline
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
Shortcut for iPhone
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
Can't find it?
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases