Books by Subject
Primary Health Care
- AccessMedicine Lange Case files AccessMedicineClinical cases selected from the LANGE Case Files series, edited by Eugene C. Toy, MD.
- Acute care for elders a model for interdisciplinary care 2014, Springer1. An Introduction to the Acute Care for Elders / Michael L. Malone, Ji Won Yoo, and James S. Goodwin -- 2. The Team Approach to Interdisciplinary Care / Maryjo Cleveland, Carolyn Holder, Ariba Khan, and Aileen Jencius -- 3. Patient and Hospital Factors That Lead to Adverse Outcomes in Hospitalized Elders / Edgar Pierluissi, Deborah C. Francis, and Kenneth E. Covinsky -- 4. An Overview of Hospital-Based Models of Care / Elizabeth A. Capezuti and Marie Boltz -- 5. The Acute Care for Elders Unit / Robert M. Palmer and Denise M. Kresevic -- 6. How to Develop, Start, and Sustain an Acute Care for Elders Unit / Ellen S. Danto-Nocton, Carolyn Holder, Rebecca Ramsden, Jonny Macias Tejada, Anita Steliga, and Karen Padua -- 7. How to Disseminate the ACE Model of Care Beyond One Unit / Roger Y. Wong, Marsha Vollbrecht, and Patti Pagel -- 8. How to Use the ACE Unit to Improve Hospital Safety and Quality for Older Patients: From ACE Units to Elder-Friendly Hospitals / Samir K. Sinha, Sandra Liliana Oakes, Selma Chaudhry, and Theodore T. Suh -- 9. ACE Unit Business Model / Kyle Allen, Peter DeGolia, Susan Hazelett, and Diane Powell -- 10. Models of Care to Transition from Hospital to Home / Ella Harvey Bowman, Kellie L. Flood, and Alicia I. Arbaje -- 11. What Is the Role of Hospitalists in the Acute Care for Elders? / Heidi L. Wald and Melissa L. P. Mattison -- 12. How to Improve Care for Seniors in the Emergency Department / Soryal Soryal, Marie Boltz, Scott Wilber, and Michael L. Malone -- 13. How to Improve Care for Older Patients in the Intensive Care Unit / Leanne Boehm, E. Wesley Ely, and Lorraine Mion -- 14. The Future of Acute Care for Elders / Kanwardeep Singh and Michael L. Malone.
- Addressing unhealthy alcohol use in primary care 2013, Springer"While there is a wealth of published information on addiction medicine, the psychological aspects of alcohol abuse, and behavioral medicine with regard to addiction, virtually none of the existing resources were written with the primary care provider in mind. Addressing Unhealthy Alcohol Use in Primary Care is a handy reference for primary care clinicians who are confronted by patients with these problems daily, and who wish to successfully address these issues in their practice. Focusing on the literature and science relevant to practicing providers, this book covers the range of interventions appropriate for this setting. Topics include assessment, brief counseling interventions, pharmacotherapy, referrals to both specialty care and Alcoholics Anonymous (and other self-help programs), psychiatric comorbidity and other drug use, and other information specific to the needs of the primary care clinician. The vast majority of people with health risks and consequences related to alcohol use receive little to no attention from healthcare, despite the fact that alcohol is a leading cause of early preventable death. This book is a guide to identifying and addressing unhealthy alcohol use in hopes of improving the lives of patients."--publisher's website
- Bariatric and metabolic surgery 2014, SpringerBariatric and metabolic surgery is recognized to be an important and effective option for the treatment of severe obesity and the various associated conditions and diseases, such as type II diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular dysfunction, dyslipidemia, and obstructive sleep apnea. Despite its established value, however, there is scope for further improvement in safety and in the quality of the surgical techniques, and calls have therefore been made for the establishment of standard techniques and procedures. This book accordingly presents state of the art knowledge on bariatric and metabolic surgery with the aim of facilitating the sharing and exchange of knowledge, documenting effective techniques, and enhancing safety and outcomes. All technical aspects are covered in detail, and the text is complemented by many helpful illustrations. A further key feature is the provision of accompanying surgical videos, which will be of value to both novice and experienced surgeons. This textbook will be a great asset in clinical practice for all who are involved or interested in bariatric and metabolic surgery.
- Behavioral consequences of stroke 2014, SpringerA comprehensive, state-of-the-art contribution to a field that is rapidly developing, The Behavioral Consequences of Stroke provides a broad overview of the cognitive and neurobehavioral effects of stroke. As attention to paralysis and the more obvious physical disabilities stroke patients incur expands, greater attention is being paid today to the cognitive and neurobehavioral complications that impact stroke morbidity and even functional neurological recovery in patients. Written by an international panel of experts and edited by a neurosurgeon and by a cognitive neuroscientist, this unique title addresses the full range of issues relevant to the field, including epidemiology, general treatment, sensorimotor control after stroke, post-stroke aphasia, memory loss after stroke, post-stroke depression, the role of imaging after a stroke, and an update on some stroke clinical trials, to name just some of the areas covered. Illuminative and an influential addition to the literature, The Behavioral Consequences of Stroke will serve as an invaluable resource for neurologists, neurosurgeons, physiatrists and other physicians, as well as physical, speech and occupational therapists, nurses, psychologists, and other professionals.
- Behavioral medicine-- a guide for clinical practice. Fourth edition. [4th ed.] 2014, AccessMedicineBehavioral Medicine delivers real-world coverage of behavioral and interactional issues that occur between provider and patient in everyday clinical practice.
- Biological, chemical, and radiological terrorism emergency preparedness and response for the primary care physician 2008, SpringerEmergency preparedness for the primary care physician -- Biological terrorism -- Chemical terrorism -- Radiological terrorism -- Mental health and terrorism -- The primary care physician's role in supporting the public health response to biological, chemical, and radiological terrorism.
- Registration for examinations -- Test-taking tips -- Internal medicine -- Pediatrics -- Obstetrics and gynecology -- Psychiatry -- Surgery -- Geriatrics -- Pictorial atlas -- Clinical problem set 1 -- Clinical problem set 2 -- Clinical problem set 3.
- "Bratton's Family Medicine Board Review, Fourth Edition, is a directed review of important topics that typically appear on American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) in-training examinations, board certification examinations, and recertification examinations. This material is not intended for a comprehensive review but, instead, should direct the examinee to areas of weakness that may need further review. Family medicine is a broad field, and to provide a complete, comprehensive review of all topics that may be covered is extremely time consuming if not impossible. Several other courses attempt to provide this type of review; however, this book is more abbreviated and focuses on topics that are commonly found on board examinations. Adequate preparation for any test is the key to success and rewarding results. Given this, we all know the importance of practice tests and the benefits of testing our knowledge base before the actual examination. This review book is structured for the examinee with limited time and resources for review and should be used only by those individuals with an established foundation of knowledge within the field of family medicine. Its primary purpose is to identify areas of weakness that can be improved on"--Provided by publisher.
- Cardiology in family practice a practical guide 2006, SpringerAcute coronary syndromes -- Arrhythmias -- Prevention of bacterial endocarditis -- Congestive heart failure -- Hyperlipidemia -- Hypertension -- Pericardial diseases -- Stable angina -- Valvular disease.
- Century of homeopaths their influence on medicine and health 2014, SpringerSamuel Hahnemann: Rebarbative Genius -- Women, Reform, and Medical Leadership -- The Homeopathic Scalpel: Contributions to Surgery from the World of Homeopathy -- Homeopaths and the Dawning of Anesthesiology -- Homeopathy and the Mind: From Alienists to Neuroscientists -- Public Health -- The Early Days of Radiation: Homeopathic Shadows -- Heartbeat, Heart Failure, and Homeopathy -- Allergy and Allergic Disorders: Homeopathic Leaders -- Academic Homeopaths Reinvented -- Oncology -- Other Stars in the Sky -- Congress, Parliament, Presidents, and Monarchs -- Bioethics and the Contributions of Otto Guttentag -- Less Is More: Finding the Right Dose -- A Homeopathic Rogues' Gallery -- Concluding Thoughts.
- Making a correct diagnosis is one of the key aspects of every medical student's and junior doctor's clinical training, and problem-based learning is now widely used to focus on the causes behind the presentation of a clinical feature. The Fourth Edition of this best-selling book is packed full of information to help the reader move from a presenting problem to an accurate diagnosis. This Fourth Edition covers 127 common presenting problems in both medicine and surgery in a consistent format. Each topic includes a list of all potential causes of the condition, colour coded to indicate common, occasional or rare causes. Important geographical variations are also highlighted. Two sections cover the differential diagnosis of biochemical and haematological disorders which provide a ready check when reviewing abnormal results The text includes a targeted guide to the relevant general and specific follow-up investigations which should be carried out as appropriate. At the end of each topic a box highlights important learning points, or indicates symptom and signs suggestive of significant pathology which require urgent action.
- Clinical manual of fever in children 2009, Springer
- Uncertainty and clinical method -- Learning about uncertainty in professional practice -- Balint groups and peer supervision -- Research on Balint groups -- The thistle and the maple leaf: practice-based small-group learning in Canada and Scotland -- Narrative-based supervision -- Training in narrative-based supervision: conversations inviting change -- Practice inquiry: uncertainty learning in primary care practice -- Using practice inquiry to engage uncertainty in residency education -- "We're all in the same boat:" potentials and tensions when learning through sharing uncertainty in peer supervision groups -- Case-based learning in Swedish primary health care: strengths and challenges.
- Color atlas of family medicine. 2nd ed. 2013, AccessMedicineLearning with images and digital photography -- The essence of family medicine -- Physicial and sexual abuse -- Ophthalmology -- Ear, nose, and throat -- Oral health -- The heart and circulation -- The lungs -- Gastrointestinal -- Genitourinary -- Women's health -- Musculoskeletal problems -- Dermatology -- Podiatry -- Infectious diseases -- Endocrine -- Neurology -- Substance abuse -- Interpreting evidence-based medicine -- Guide for the use of topical and intralesional corticosteroids -- Dermoscopy.
- Common musculoskeletal problems a handbook 2010, Springer
- Complete resource on pediatric office emergency preparedness 2013, SpringerThis book describes key knowledge concepts, skills and up-to-date algorithms pertaining to common emergencies that can take place in a pediatric office, including: seizures, anaphylaxis and shock, and diabetic ketoacidosis. The authors supported by peer review from top specialists in Pediatric Emergency Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine offer the first comprehensive educational resource on pediatric office emergency preparedness devoted exclusively to the practicing primary care health care provider and his/her team. During emergencies, providers and their staff are called on to.
- Constipation a practical approach to diagnosis and treatment 2014, SpringerConstipation: A Practical Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment serves as an unmet resource for physicians and other health care providers, including trainees and students, who see patients with constipation. The text reviews pathophysiologic mechanisms and details evaluation and management strategies. The volume also enables the reader to identify epidemiologic factors and quality of life parameters for patients with constipation, discuss differences in pathophysiologic mechanisms for different etiologies of constipation, recognize primary causes of constipation, and assess special considerations related to the symptom of constipation including presentations in the elderly, in pregnant women, in patients with systemic diseases, and patients with a history of abuse. Written by thought leaders and recognized experts in gastrointestinal motility and medical education, Constipation: A Practical Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment is of great value and utility for gastroenterologists, primary care physicians, gynecologists, nurse practitioners, physician's assistants, as well as fellows and residents.
- Current diagnosis & treatment in family medicine. 3rd ed. 2011, AccessMedicineSection I. Infancy & childhood -- Section II. Adolescence -- Section III. Adults -- Section IV. Geriatrics -- Section V. Therapeutics, genetics, & prevention -- Section VI. Psychosocial disorders -- Section VII. Physician-patient issues.
- Current practice guidelines in primary care Latest edition, 2014., AccessMedicine2013 ed. AccessMedicine
- Dermatology skills for primary care an illustrated guide 2006, SpringerSpecific history -- Dermatologic physical examination -- Indicated supporting diagnostic data -- Therapy -- Molluscum contagiosum (dimple warts) -- Verruca vulgaris (common warts) -- Seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff) -- Pityriasis rosea -- Psoriasis vulgaris -- Lichen planus -- Miliaria rubra (prickly heat) -- Scabies -- Erythrasma -- Tinea (superficial fungi, dermatophytosis, ringworm) -- Urticaria (urticaria simplex, common hives) -- Fixed drug eruption -- Erysipelas/cellulitis -- Erythema multiforme -- Lupus erythematosus -- Toxicodendron dermatitis (poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumac; also known as Rhus dermatitis) -- Atopic dermatitis (atopic eczema, disseminated neurodermatitis -- Besnier's prurigo) -- Asteatotic eczema (xerosis, xerotic eczema, eczema craquelé, eczema cannalé, eczema hiemalis, winter itch) -- Senile purpura (Bateman's purpura) -- Striae distensae (striae atrophicans, striae gravidarum, stretch marks) -- Seborrheic keratosis (old age spots, liver spots) -- Ephelides (freckles) -- Lentigines -- Melanocytic nevi -- Malignant melanoma -- Actinic keratosis (solar keratosis) -- Keratoacanthoma (molluscum sebaceum) -- Common skin cancers -- Impetigo (impetigo contagiosa) -- Herpes simplex recidivans (herpes labialis, cold sores, fever blisters Herpes genitalis) -- Herpes zoster (shingles) -- Acne vulgaris (acne, zits) -- Rosacea (acne rosasea).
- Diabetes management in primary care. 2nd ed. 2013, OvidIntroduction to diabetes -- Prediabetes -- Lifestyle interventions for patients with diabetes -- Polycystic ovary syndrome -- Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of microvascular complications: Part 1, diabetic neuropathy -- Prevention, diagnosis and treatment of microvascular complications: Part 2, diabetic nephropathy and diabetic retinopathy -- Exploring the association between diabetes and cardiovascular disease -- Associated disorders of interest to primary care -- Co-managing mental illness in patients with diabetes -- Diagnosis and management of T2DM -- Type 1 diabetes mellitus in adults -- Insulin initiation and intensification for patients with type 2 diabetes -- Insulin pumping and use of continuous glucose sensors in primary care -- Addressing cultural competency in diabetes care.
- Diagnostic principles and applications avoiding medical errors, passing board exams, and providing informed patient care 2013, SpringerWhich disease should you consider when a young adult has localized bone pain that is dramatically relieved by aspirin? What is sometimes the only physical manifestation of bulimia nervosa? These so-called "old fashioned" historical clues and physical signs are not only part of our medical heritage; their deployment can often spell the difference between prompt clinical diagnosis versus a costly investigative odyssey. Often overlooked with today's emphasis on laboratory testing, a diagnostic pearl such as knowing that a diabetic patient with peripheral neuropathy may actually have metformin-induced vitamin B12 deficiency can be a shortcut to disease recognition.Diagnostic Principles and Applications presents selected literature-based facts and diagnostic insights to help clinicians provide better-informed clinical assessments, avoid medical misadventures, and prepare for their board examinations. The chapters cover:Classic diagnostic pearlsRed flag symptoms and signs of serious illnessBellwether disease indications allowing an occasional early, preemptive diagnosisCounterintuitive clinical manifestations of diseaseCurious clues to specific diagnosesRobert B. Taylor, MD is the author and editor of more than two dozen medical books, including three on the topic of clinical diagnosis, and several hundred published articles. He is a veteran of both rural private practice and chairmanship of a medical school clinical department.
- Differential diagnosis of common complaints. 6th ed. 2012, ClinicalKeyThis 6th Edition, by Drs. Robert H. Seller and Andrew B. Symons, helps you quickly and efficiently diagnose the 36 most common symptoms reported by patients. Organized alphabetically by presenting symptom, each chapter mirrors the problem-solving process most physicians use to make a diagnosis. It's a practical, clinically oriented approach that can help you master the differential diagnosis of common symptoms and diagnose almost all the problems typically seen in your practice. Find the guidance you need quickly through an alphabetical organization by presenting symptom and a concise, consistent, user-friendly approach that mirrors the diagnostic decision-making process. Get a fresh perspective from new co-author, Dr. Andrew B. Symons, who brings a strong background in education as Vice Chair of Medical Student Education at SUNY Buffalo.
- This practical, pocket-sized, quick reference book is for those who need to manage movement disorder patients without the immediate help of a movement disorder neurologist. Only the most pertinent information is covered. This book is divided into five chapters covering the common phenomenology of movement disorders and includes tremor, dystonia, chorea, myoclonus, and tics. The etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms and treatments of these conditions are briefly reviewed, with the emphasis on the most common practical challenges encountered with these patients. Differential Diagnosis of Movement Disorders in Clinical Practice is aimed at postgraduates training in neurology, emergency care physicians, internists and primary care providers. Medical students will also find this book particularly helpful during their neurology rotations.
- Diseases of the sinuses a comprehensive textbook of diagnosis and treatment. Second edition [2nd ed.] 2014, SpringerDiseases of the Sinuses: A Comprehensive Textbook of Diagnosis and Treatment, 2nd Edition, offers the definitive source of information about the basic science of the sinuses and the clinical approach to sinusitis. Since the widely praised publication of the first edition, understanding of sinus disease has changed dramatically, mainly as a result of recent developments and new discoveries in the field of immunology. This updated and expanded edition is divided into sections addressing, separately, the pathogenesis, clinical presentation, medical and surgical management of acute and chronic rhinosinusitis. Special entities such as autoimmune-related sinusitis, allergy and sinusitis, and aspirin-exacerbated respiratory disease are discussed in separate chapters. The role of immunodeficiency is also addressed. The management section has been fully updated to incorporate new medical modalities and surgical procedures. Developed by a distinguished group of international experts who share their expertise and insights from years of collective experience in treating sinus diseases, the book will appeal to anyone who has an interest in sinus disease, including both physicians and allied health professionals. Internists, pediatricians, allergists, otolaryngologists and infectious disease specialists will find the book to be an invaluable, comprehensive reference. Physician assistants and nurse practitioners who work with specialists who treat sinus disease will also benefit from the book.
- Essential practice guidelines in primary care 2007, SpringerSeventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment Of High Blood Pressure / Benjamin J. Epstein -- Hyperlipidemia / Andrew Cohen and Neil S. Skolnik -- Management of newly diagnosed atrial fibrillation: a clinical practice guideline from the American Academy of Family Physicians and the American College of Physicians / Jaya Udayasankar and Doron Schneider -- Antithrombotic therapy for venous thromboembolic disease / George P.N. Samraj -- Antithrombotic therapy for atrial fibrillation, valvular heart disease, management of elevated INRs and perioperative management / Ann Peff and Doron Schneider -- Prevention of bacterial endocarditis / Margot Boigon and Doron Schneider -- Clinical guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asthma / Michael Gagnon and Neil S. Skolnik -- Community acquired pneumonia and health-care associated pneumonia clinical guidelines / John Russell -- Diagnosis and management of otitis media: joint guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics and American Academy of Family Physicians / Richard Neill -- Appropriate antibiotic use for treatment of nonspecific upper respiratory infections, rhinosinusitis, and acute bronchitis in adults / Tina H. Degnan and Neil S. Skolnik -- Group A streptococcal pharyngitis: the Infectious Disease Society of America / Mario Napoletano -- Prevention of perinatal group B streptococcal disease / Ross Albert, Neil S. Skolnik, and Richard Neill -- Adult immunizations / Brett Fissell and Neil S. Skolnik -- Rabies prevention / Doron Schneider -- Practice guidelines for the management of infectious diarrhea / Pam Fenstemacher -- Tuberculosis testing and treatment of latent infection / Pam Fenstemacher -- Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2006 / Neil S. Skolnik -- Updated US public health service guidelines for the management of occupational exposure to HBV, HCV, and HIV and recommendations for postexposure prophylaxis / David Gary Smith -- Screening for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women / Richard Neill -- Managing abnormal cervical cytology and cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: 2001 consensus guidelines / Amy Clouse -- Dementia / William McCarberg -- Diagnosis and treatment of migraine headaches / Richard Neill -- Concussion guidelines in athletes / David Webner -- Restless legs syndrome / Matthew Clark -- Depression: pharmacological treatment / John E. Sutherland -- Diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of the school-aged child with attention deficit hyperactive disorder / Richard Neill -- Practice guidelines for the treatment of patients with delirium / Mary Hofmann and Doron Schneider -- Panic disorder / Diane Dietzen and Doron Schneider.
- Essentials of atrial fibrillation. [Revised edition] 2014, SpringerAtrial fibrillation (AF) affects an estimated 1?2% of the population and is the most common cause of sustained cardiac arrhythmia. Critically, the number of patients developing AF is expected to double in the next five decades, leading to increased incidence of stroke, heart failure and other serious thromboembolic events. Essentials of Atrial Fibrillation is a timely investigation of current pharmaceutical trends, clinical guidelines, novel treatments, and ongoing pipeline developments, including ground-breaking advances in the use of novel oral anticoagulants.
- Internal medicine / editor, Jeff Susman -- Pediatrics / editor, Mitchell S. King -- Obstetrics / editor, Robert W. Bales -- Gynecology / editor, Robert W. Bales -- Psychiatry / editor, Matthew Hunsaker -- Surgery / editor, Robert W. Bales -- Geriatrics / editor, Mitchell S. King -- Community medicine / editor, Matthew Hunsaker -- Clinical set problems / editor, Martin S. Lipsky.
- Family medicine obstetrics. 3rd ed. 2008, ClinicalKeyWhether you offer comprehensive pregnancy care in your primary care facility, or provide prenatal and postpartum care, this book delivers the guidance you need to optimize health for both mothers and their babies. It covers all aspects of birth care, from preconception counseling and prenatal care, through labor and delivery (both low-risk and complicated), to postpartum care and the first month of life. The completely revised third edition includes the most up-to- date, evidence-based standards of care. It offers information that is patient centered, prevention oriented, educational, and sensitive to the care of the whole woman and her family. Features a reader-friendly outline/narrative format for ease of use in daily clinical practice. Describes how to care for patients with a wide range of medical conditions during pregnancy as well as pregnancy-related conditions. Takes a whole-family approach to maternity care, with discussions of maternal and paternal adjustment, marital adjustment, sibling adjustment, single-parent families, and return-to-work issues. Provides patient and family education materials on a full range of topics, from nutrition in pregnancy to breastfeeding. Features a section on alternative medicine in maternity care. Provides detailed instruction for a wide array of procedures, including cesarean delivery, perineal repair of simple and complex lacerations, circumcision, assisted deliveries, and amnioinfusion.
- Family-oriented primary care. 2nd ed. 2005, Springer
- Ferri's Clinical advisor Latest editions only, ClinicalKey2014 ClinicalKey
- Ferri's Differential diagnosis a practical guide to the differential diagnosis of symptoms, signs, and clinical disorders. 2nd ed. 2011, ClinicalKeyHere's a portable, concise guide to differential diagnosis for over 900 signs, symptoms and clinical disorders. Differential diagnoses are listed both by presenting sign or symptom and by clinical disorder, so you can confirm your diagnosis accurately, completely, and quickly. This is a versatile, easy-to-use reference you'll consult every day.
- Field guide to bedside diagnosis. 2nd ed. 2007, Ovid
- Fracture management for primary care. 3rd ed. 2012, ClinicalKeyThe 3rd edition provides the guidance you need to evaluate and treat common fractures, as well as identify uncommon fractures that should be referred to a specialist. Drs. M. Patrice Eiff and Robert Hatch emphasize the current best guidelines for imaging and treating fractures so that you can make accurate identifications and select appropriate treatment. Detailed descriptions and illustrations combined with evidence-based coverage give you the confidence you need to make the right decisions. Reference key information quickly and easily thanks to one-page management tables that summarize pertinent aspects of diagnosis and treatment. Reference key information quickly and easily thanks to one-page management tables that summarize pertinent aspects of diagnosis and treatment. Effectively manage emergency situations using guidelines for emergent referral, greater detail regarding methods for closed reductions for fractures and dislocations, and more. Know how and when to treat fractures and when to refer your patients to a specialist.
- Functional and motility disorders of the gastrointestinal tract a case study approach 2015, Springer
- The increasing prevalence of morbid obesity has led the World Health Organization to coin the descriptive term "globesity" to reflect the worldwide nature of the problem. Providing health care to these patients, especially when surgery is required, can be extremely challenging owing to the specific needs in respect of logistics, facilities, and professional expertise. Appropriate care has too often been unachievable and unaffordable outside of established bariatric centers, but such centers themselves usually have insufficient capacity and resources to cope with growing demand. This book aims to provide guidance and helpful tips and tricks on how to deal with obese patients within a general surgery setting. Epidemiology, organizational and logistical aspects, nursing issues, patient assessment, anesthesiology, and surgical practicalities are expertly covered in the opening chapters. Techniques of relevance to the general surgeon are described according to anatomic region, covering the head and neck; cardiothoracic and vascular system; upper and lower GI tract; pancreas, liver and adrenal glands; urinary tract and kidneys; the reproductive system; and the abdominal wall. Results achieved by bariatric surgery worldwide are reviewed, and the book closes with a chapter devoted to plastic and reconstructive surgery. The Globesity Challenge to General Surgery highlights a need for global rethinking on public health as regards resource allocation and patterns and standards of care, improving outcomes through greater affordability.
- Guide to the primary care of neurological disorders. 2nd ed. 2008, Thieme Book
- Ham's Primary care geriatrics a case-based approach. 6th edition. 2014, ClinicalKeyEmploying a unique case-based approach, Ham's Primary Care Geriatrics continues to be your comprehensive source of clinical solutions for this challenging population. This gerontology medical reference book features an interdisciplinary perspective that empowers you with team-oriented knowledge on the best diagnosis, treatment, and management strategies available to address the complex needs of older adults. Effectively treat your geriatric patients, and provide helpful guidance to their families, through engaging geriatric case studies that illustrate the principles and key clinical information you need. Form a definitive diagnosis and create the best treatment plans possible using the evidence-based medicine guidelines throughout. Find the information you need quickly and efficiently with a 2-color layout and consistent format, and test your knowledge with USMLE-style questions in every chapter.
- Handbook of HER2-targeted agents in breast cancer 2014, Springer
- The first chapter describes the health care delivery systems in Canada and in the U.S. This is followed by examples of various approaches used to measure physiological variables in humans, either for the purpose of diagnosis or monitoring potential disease conditions; a brief description of sensor technologies is included. The function and role of the clinical engineer in managing medical technologies in industrialized and in developing countries are presented. This is followed by a chapter on patient safety (mainly electrical safety and electromagnetic interference); it includes a section on how to minimize liability and how develop a quality assurance program for technology management. The next chapter discusses applications of telemedicine, including technical, social, and ethical issues. The last chapter presents a discussion on the impact of technology on health care and the technology assessment process.
- Health care engineering. Part II, Research and development in the health care environment 2013, AtyponChapter 7 presents some statistics on the occurrence of medical errors and adverse events, and includes some technological solutions. A chapter on electronic medical records follows. The knowledge management process divided into four steps is described; this includes a discussion on data acquisition, storage, and retrieval. The next two chapters discuss the other three steps of the knowledge management process (knowledge discovery, knowledge translation, knowledge integration and sharing). The last chapter briefly discusses usability studies and clinical trials. The two parts consolidate material that supports courses on technology development and management issues in health care institutions. It can be useful for anyone involved in design, development, or research, whether in industry, hospitals, or government.
- Hutchison's Clinical methods an integrated approach to clinical practice. 23rd ed. 2012, ClinicalKeyDoctor and patient : general principles of history taking / Michael Glynn -- General patient examination and differential diagnosis / William Drake -- Ethical considerations / William Drake -- Women / Alan Naftalin -- Children and adolescents / Anna Riddell -- Older people / Adam Feather -- Psychiatric assessment / Ruth E. Taylor -- Patients presenting as emergencies / Robert Ghosh -- Patients in pain / Jayne Gallagher and Serge Nikolic -- Respiratory system / F. Runa Ali and John Moore-Gillon -- Cardiovascular system / Adam D. Timmis and Andrew Archbold -- Gastrointestinal system / Michael Glynn -- Locomotor system / David P. D'Cruz -- Nervous system / Rodney W.H. Walker -- Skin, nails and hair / Rino Cerio -- Endocrine disorders / William Drake and John Monson -- Diabetic and other metabolic disorders / Tahseen A. Chowdhury -- Kidneys and urinary tract / Raj Thuraisingham -- Eyes / Andrew Coombes -- Ear, nose, and throat / Michael J. Wareing -- Sexually transmitted infections / Beng T. Goh.
- Integrated behavioral health in primary care evaluating the evidence, identifying the essentials 2013, SpringerPart I: Essentials of Integrated Behavioral Health Care -- Introduction and Overview of Integrated Behavioral Health in Primary Care -- Integrated Behavioral Health and Primary Care: A Common Language -- Integrated Behavioral Health and the Patient-Centered Medical Home -- Advancing Integrated Behavioral Health and Primary Care: The Critical Importance of Behavioral Health in Health Care Policy -- Part II: Review of Integrated Systems of Care Initiatives -- The State of the Evidence for Integrated Behavioral Health in Primary Care -- Community-Based Participatory Research: Advancing Integrated Behavioral Health Care Through Novel Partnerships -- Integrated Behavioral Health in Public Health Care Contexts: Community Health and Mental Health Safety Net Systems -- The Financial History and Near Future of Integrated Behavioral Health Care -- Department of Defense Integrated Behavioral Health in the Patient-Centered Medical Home -- Part III: Review of Collaborative Behavioral Health Clinical Services -- Collaborative Partnerships Within Integrated Behavioral Health and Primary Care -- Identifi cation of Behavioral Health Needs in Integrated Behavioral and Primary Care Settings -- Screening Measures in Integrated Behavioral Health and Primary Care Settings -- Implementing Clinical Interventions in Integrated Behavioral Health Settings: Best Practices and Essential Elements -- Working with Complexity in Integrated Behavioral Health Settings -- Part IV: Connecting Concepts, Research and Practice -- Integrated Behavioral Health in Primary Care: Summarizing the Lay of the Land, Marking the Best Practices, Identifying Barriers, and Mapping New Territory.
- PART 1: Primary care for mental health in context -- Chapter 1. Primary care for mental health within a pyramid of health care -- Chapter 2. Seven good reasons for integrating mental health into primary care -- -- PART 2: Primary care for mental health in practice -- Introduction -- Argentina: Physician-led primary care for mental health in Neuquén province, Patagonia region -- Australia: Integrated mental health care for older people in general practices of inner-city Sydney -- Brazil: Integrated primary care for mental health in the city of Sobral -- Chile: Integrated primary care for mental health in the Macul district of Santiago -- India: Integrated primary care for mental health in the Thiruvananthapuram District, Kerala State -- Islamic Republic of Iran: Nationwide integration of mental health into primary care -- Saudi Arabia: Integrated primary care for mental health in the Eastern Province -- South Africa: Integrated primary care services and a partnership for mental health primary care -- Ehlanzeni District, Mpumalanga Province, and Moorreesburg District, Western Cape Province -- Uganda: Integrated primary care for mental health in the Sembabule District -- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: Primary care for mental health for disadvantaged communities in London -- -- Report conclusions -- -- Annex 1: Improving the practice of primary care for mental health
- Integrative weight management a guide for clinicians 2014, SpringerIntegrative Weight Management: A Guide for Clinicians intends to educate physicians and nutritionists about the wide ranges of approaches to weight control from non-traditional sources. The options for weight management in conventional practices are limited to a small number of medications, a confusing array of dietary approaches and surgical procedures with their inherent risks and complications. Unfortunately medical practitioners are not exposed to nutrition and weight control principles during training and thus are reluctant to manage their patients weight control issues. This volume is structured into 4 sections: Introduction to Weight Management Disorders; Morbidity and Mortality of Obesity; Therapy of Obesity; and Integrative Medicine and Obesity. Integrative Weight Management: A Guide for Clinicians represents a powerful collaboration of dozens of leading experts in the fields of nutrition, weight management and integrative medicine who have managed countless numbers of patients and summarized the research from thousands of articles to create an up-to- date state of the art guide for healthcare practitioners, allied health professionals and public health authorities who manage those who are overweight/obese along with the associated metabolic consequences.
- Macleod's Clinical examination. Thirteenth edition. [13th ed.] 2013, ClinicalKeyThis textbook sets out clearly and concisely how to evaluate symptoms and elicit relevant physical signs. It describes the practical skills which every clinician must acquire and develop in order to evolve diagnostic procedures and management strategies and plans. Highly Commended in the 2006 and 2010 BMA Medical Book Competitions, this Thirteenth Edition contains over 500 clinical photographs and diagrams to illustrate the text, with new topics added to make the book even more comprehensive. Included on the Student Consult site are the specially-recorded videos demonstrating many of the clinical examination routines described in the main text. New to this edition: A new section explicitly spells out how to demonstrate the techniques learned in the book in an OSCE and other formative and summative examinations. The text has been substantially rewritten with more on medically unexplained symptoms in the History Taking chapter and extended coverage of diabetes mellitus in the Endocrine System chapter.
- Management of functional gastrointestinal disorders in children biopsychosocial concepts for clinical practice 2014, SpringerManagement of Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders in Children presents biopsychosocial theory with respect to six groups of functional disorders: disorders of elimination, vomiting disorders, abdominal pain, infant colic, chronic non-specific diarrhea of infants and toddlers, and failure to thrive. It illustrates, through numerous clinical examples, concepts of management developed during 45 years of practice. A satisfactory clinical outcome for pediatric gastrointestinal disorders often depends on the clinician's ability to discern not only the biological factors in illness, but also the unique cognitive and emotional needs that patients bring to the task of healing. This book provides guidelines for integrating the biopsychosocial model, an approach that has been under-emphasized in the literature until now. It includes naturalistic descriptions of functional gastrointestinal disorders, clinical goals, and the theoretical bases for management techniques. Offering numerous real-world examples and tips, this book serves as a valuable resource for pediatricians, family practitioners, pediatric mental health practitioners, pediatric nurse practitioners, as well as pediatric gastroenterologists.
- "Managing Bipolar Disorder in Clinical Practice", Third Edition, is an up-to-date, concise practical handbook developed with the clinician in mind. Including the most recent clinical guidelines, including the British Association for Psychopharmacology (BAP) and Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) guidelines, this handbook is intended to highlight every major aspect of this serious mental health disorder, including assessment, treatment, long-term management, and recent developments.
- Managing gout in primary care 2014, Springer"Gout has been a well-known disease for over 2000 years, and is the most common cause of joint inflammation in adult males. It has become apparent that no therapeutic target based on hyperuricemia outcome had been defined. Very few controlled trials were available to test the efficacy and safety of treatments, and no research on diagnosis and management had been done despite data showing that patients with gout were generally improperly treated even in the hands of specialists. In the last 10 years, good-quality evidence on gout impact and management has grown exponentially, renal transporters have been recently identified, and a number of new drugs have been approved or are under current development. This handbook discusses these developments and the future of gout treatment, which now looks promising."--Publisher's website.
- Low back pain is described as a very common condition that tends to affect about 70% of the population at some point in time with varying degrees of symptom severity. Although definitions vary, sciatic pain is generally defined as back-related pain radiating to the leg (normally below the knee and into the foot and toes) and is one of the commonest variations of low back pain. Patients with sciatica typically experience a more persistent and severe type of pain, a less favorable outcome, consume more healthcare resources and have more prolonged disability and absence from work than those with low back pain alone. Managing Sciatica and Radiculopathies in Primary Care Practice provides a comprehensive, up-to-date overview of the subject and key information for primary care practitioners about low back pain in patients, including definitions and causes, current management approaches, diagnostic and treatment algorithms, as well as clinical practice guidelines.
- Manual of family practice. 2nd ed. 2002, Ovid
- TheMassGeneral Hospital for Children Handbook of Pediatric Global Health is a concise resource for the ever-increasing number of health professionals involved in global health, many of whom spend a few weeks to months or even years providing medical care in resource-poor countries. This Handbook provides practical, evidence-based, hands-on guidance for managing and preventing childhood illnesses when resources are limited in low- and middle-income countries. It also offers a setting-specific understanding and management approaches to the major causes of childhood mortality, including pneumonia, diarrhea, birth asphyxia, complications of preterm birth, and neonatal sepsis. The Handbook providesan overview of childhood mortality, health systems, and the various stakeholders that play a role in the global health arena, and also contains chapters focusing on adolescents who are increasingly recognized as a unique population in whom interventions can go a long way in bothconsolidatingthe gains made in childhood and preventing adult disease. Finally, key topics in non-communicable diseases are covered, including trauma and injuries, pediatric mental health, child and adolescent rights, and oral health. Not meant solely for pediatricians, the Handbookis designed for generalists, specialists, doctors, nurses, other health care workers, and those in training. An indispensable reference for health professionals overseas, theHandbookwill also be a useful addition and resource for academic centers and universities in industrialized nations that are creating courses for trainees who will do clinical electives abroad during their training. .
- Part I Approach to neuromuscular diseases: principles and basics -- Clinical assessment in neuromuscular disorders -- Nerve and muscle: basic concepts -- Part II Approach to neuromuscular diseases: neuromuscular investigations -- Serum muscle enzymes in neuromuscular disease -- Autoantibody testing in peripheral neuropathy -- Autoantibody testing in autoimmune neuromuscular junction, hyperexcitability, and muscle disorders -- Forearm exercise testing -- Clinical electromyography (neve conduction studies and needle electromyography) -- Single-fiber EMG -- Quantitative EMG analysis -- Testing of autonomic function -- Quantitative sensory testing -- Nerve and muscle biopsies -- Skin biopsy -- Molecular diagnosis and genetic testing -- Part III Approach to neuromuscular diseases: assessment and treatment of neurologica disorders -- Outcome measures and clinical assessment instruments in neuromuscular disease -- Physical management of patients with neuromuscular diseases -- Immunotherapy in the treatment of autoimmune neuromuscular diseases -- Critical and respiratory care in neuromuscular disorders -- Part IV Neuromuscular disorders: neuronopathies (motor neuron and dorsal root ganglion disorders) -- Poliomyelitis and post-poliomyelitis syndrome -- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis -- Spinal muscular atrophies -- Atypical motor neuron disorders -- Dorsal root ganglion disorders -- Part V Neuromuscular disorders: Peripheral neuropatahies -- Approach to peripheral nerve disorders -- Approach to small fiber neuropathy -- Charcot-Marie-Tooth diseases -- Inherited metabolic neruopathies -- Guillain-Barre Syndrome and related disorders -- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy and related disorders -- Diabetic neuropathies -- Nutritional and alcoholic neuropathies -- Metabolic and endocrine neuropathies -- Environmental toxic neuropathies -- Drug-induced toxic neuropathies -- Vasculitic neuropathies and neuropathies of connective tissue disease -- Nonvasculitic ischemic neuropathies -- Infectious and granulomatous peripheral neuropathies -- Peripheral nerve injury -- Compressive and entrapment neuropathies of the upper extremity -- Compressive and entrapment neuropathies of the lower extremity -- Cranial nerve palsies -- Peripheral nerve tumors -- Cervical radiculopathy -- Lumbosacral and thoracic radiculopathies -- Brachial plexopathies -- Lumbosacral plexopathies -- Part VI Neuromuscular disorders: neuromuscular junction disorders -- Myasthenia Gravis -- Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome -- Botulism -- Toxic neuromuscular transmission disorders -- Part VII Neuromuscular disorders: muscle ion channel disorders -- Disorders of skeletal muscle membrane excitability: myotonia congenita, paramyotonia congenita, periodic paralysis, and related syndromes -- Malignant hyperthermia -- Part VIII Neuromuscular disorders: myopathies -- Approach to myopathies -- Dystrophinopathies -- Limb-girdle muscular dystrophies -- Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy -- The myotonic dystrophies -- Oculpharyngeal muscular dystrophy -- Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy -- Congenital myopathies -- Metabolic myopathies -- Mitochondrial myopathies -- Inflammatory myopathies -- Paraspinous myopathies: the dropped head and bent spine syndromes -- Endocrine myopathies -- Toxic myopathies -- Infectious and granulomatous myopathies -- Part IX Neuromuscular disorders: miscellaneous neuromuscular disorders and syndromes -- Myokymia and neuromyotonia -- Muscle cramps and fasciculations -- Stiff-man syndrome -- Tetanus -- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome -- Paraneoplastic neuromuscular disorders -- Acute neuromuscular weakness in the intensive care unit -- Floppy infant -- Rhabdomyolysis and myoglobinuria -- Eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome, eosinophilic fascitiitis, and related fasciitis disorders -- Neuropathis pain and other chronic musculoskeletal pain conditions.
- Nutrition for the primary care provider 2015, Karger
- Obesity management in family practice 2006, Springer
- Obstetrics in family medicine a practical guide 2006, SpringerPhysiology -- Preconception care -- Prenatal care -- Medications in pregnancy -- Dysmorphic growth and genetic abnormalities -- Intrauterine growth restriction -- Preterm labor -- Premature rupture of membranes -- Early pregnancy bleeding -- Late pregnancy bleeding -- Recurrent spontaneous abortion -- Rh isoimmunization -- Infection in pregnancy -- Hypertension in pregnancy -- Diabetes in pregnancy -- HIV and pregnancy -- Multigestational pregnancy -- Post-dates pregnancy -- Normal labor -- Induction and augmentation -- Pain management in labor -- Operative delivery -- Prolonged labor -- Shoulder dystocia -- Malpresentation -- Fetal heart rate monitoring -- Maternal fever in labor -- Postpartum hemorrhage -- Perineal laceration and episiotomy -- Newborn evaluation -- Routine hospital postpartum management -- Complications of the hospital postpartum period.
- Patient safety a case-based comprehensive guide 2014, SpringerDespite the evolution and growing awareness of patient safety, many medical professionals are not a part of this important conversation. Clinicians often believe they are too busy taking care of patients to adopt and implement patient safety initiatives and that acknowledging medical errors is an affront to their skills. Patient Safety provides clinicians with a better understanding of the prevalence, causes and solutions for medical errors; bringing best practice principles to the bedside. Written by experts from a variety of backgrounds, each chapter features an analysis of clinical cases based on the Root Cause Analysis (RCA) methodology, along with case-based discussions on various patient safety topics. The systems and processes outlined in the book are general and broadly applicable to institutions of all sizes and structures. The core ethic of medical professionals is to do no harm. Patient Safety is a comprehensive resource for physicians, nurses and students, as well as healthcare leaders and administrators for identifying, solving and preventing medical error.
- Often, information in review books can raise as many questions as it answers. This interferes with the study process, because the learner must either look up additional information or skip ahead without truly comprehending what he or she has read. As an alternative, Pediatric Genetics and Inborn Errors of Metabolism: A Practically Painless Review presents bite-size chunks of information that can be read and processed rapidly, helping learners to stay active while studying and to pick up new information the first time they read it. This book's question and answer format allows for self-testing or study with a partner or a group. The format also facilitates dipping into the book during a few minutes of downtime at the hospital or office. Pediatric Genetics and Inborn Errors of Metabolism: A Practically Painless Review is a quick and easy way to master these tricky topics and is suitable for those studying for the pediatric board exam, practicing physicians brushing up their skills, and any busy clinician who wants to learn more about these topics while on the go.
- Topics in pediatric orthopedics routinely surface in general pediatrics and primary care medicine, whether on board exams or in clinical practice. Musculoskeletal-related problems are common presenting complaints in any general pediatric or family medicine practice, and in emergency medicine. From birth injuries to musculoskeletal infections and sport-related injuries, many orthopedic conditions and presenting complaints must be addressed by the primary care physician or pediatrician. Pediatric Orthopedics: Handbook for Primary Care Physicians is a concise and targeted handbook filled with all need-to-know conditions, injuries, and diseases, supplemented by over three hundred photos and illustrations. It describes common orthopedic conditions, how to diagnose them, and the indications to either treat these conditions or refer the child to an orthopedist. Readers will learn the natural history of orthopedic diseases and how to differentiate between normal development and abnormal pathological conditions. An easy-to-read bulleted format highlights the most pertinent information for conditions commonly encountered in primary care. In addition, the book provides critical information used to answer musculoskeletal questions on the pediatrics board exam. The two editors come from different specialties (pediatric orthopedics and pediatrics) and present topics in a practical and problem-oriented method. Pediatric Orthopedics: Handbook for Primary Care Physicians is invaluable to all health providers taking care of children, including pediatricians, family medicine physicians, emergency medicine physicians, nurse practitioners, physical therapists, and medical students.
- Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for primary care. 3rd ed. 2011, ClinicalKey"Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care, 3rd Edition is a comprehensive, "how-to" resource offering step-by-step strategies for nearly every medical procedure that can be performed in an office, hospital, or emergency care facility by primary care clinicians. Designed for everyday practice, the outline format allows speedy reference while the detailed text and clear illustrations guide you through each procedure. The new edition of this best-selling book features full-color illustrations and easy access to the complete contents and illustrations, patient forms, and more online at www.expertconsult.com. "--Publisher's website.
- Physical diagnosis secrets. 2nd ed. 2008, ClinicalKeyChest inspection, palpation, and percussion / Salvatore Mangione -- Lung auscultation / Salvatore Mangione -- The abdomen / Salvatore Mangione -- Male genitalia, hernias, and rectal exam / Salvatore Mangione -- Pelvic examination / Salvatore Mangione -- Lymph nodes / Salvatore Mangione -- Neurologic examination / Enrica Arnaudo and Michael D. Kim -- Bedside diagnosis of coma / Salvatore Mangione -- The musculoskeletal system / Salvatore Mangione -- The extremities / Salvatore Mangione. Top 100 secrets -- General appearance, facies, and body habitus / Salvatore Mangione -- Vital signs / Salvatore Mangione -- The skin / Salvatore Mangione -- Eye examination / Salvatore Mangione -- The ear / Salvatore Mangione -- Nose and mouth / Salvatore Mangione -- Neck examination / Salvatore Mangione -- Thyroid gland / Salvatore Mangione -- Breast examination / Salvatore Mangione -- Cardiovascular physical exam / Salvatore Mangione -- Heart sounds and extra-sounds / Salvatore Mangione -- Cardiac auscultation murmurs / Salvatore Mangione --
- Primary care English 2007, Springer
- Primary care interviewing learning through role play 2013, SpringerPrimary care is complex, unpredictable, and requires a biopsychosocial orientation. An indispensable teaching resource, Primary Care Interviewing: Learning Through Role Play thoroughly details how to use role play to teach the basics and more complex aspects of medical interviewing skills to trainee clinicians. Role playing is ideally suited to teach clinicians how to interview and relate to patients, and this unique and concise title includes not only sample role plays and dialog but also a wealth of accompanying online video role plays to enhance the learning process.
- Primary care medicine office evaluation and management of the adult patient. Seventh edition. [7th ed.] 2014, Ovid
- Primary care medicine recommendations 2002, Ovid
- Primary care of the premature infant 2008, ClinicalKeyComprehensive reference that covers both the pathophysiology and epidemiology of problems occurring in premature babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and the management of these problems once the infant has been released from the NICU to a community practice. The book emphasizes specific diseases that affect premature infants and focuses on two primary categories: background and management in the NICU, and management of specific illnesses after discharge from the NICU.
- Primary care procedures in women's health 2010, Springer"This book is a user-friendly guide to procedures in women's health for primary care physicians. The spectrum of office-based procedures is covered, including pelvic examination; contraceptive procedures; and dermatologic procedures, both cosmetic and non-cosmetic. Key information is readily accessible, and chapters present indications, risks, and decision trees for guidance on how to proceed based on results. Procedures are detailed step-by-step.The accompanying illustrations add clarity, and imaging is provided where appropriate. Case studies facilitate the integration of procedures into clinical practice. Coding and reimbursement are outlined as well. This practical book also features patient handouts that explain procedures and address complications. Lists of disposable and non-disposable supplies are ideal references for assistants. Physicians, residents, and other providers of women's health care will find this text an indispensable aid for learning new procedures and improving existing skills"--Provided by publisher.
- Primary care sleep medicine a practical guide 2007, SpringerSleep disorders in primary care : evidence-based clinical practice / James F. Pagel -- Epidemiology of sleep / Lauren Hale -- Assessment of insomnia / Edward J. Stepanski -- Cognitive-behavioral therapy approaches for insomnia / Edward J. Stepanski -- Pharmacological treatment of insomnia / James M. Parish -- Determinants and measurements of daytime sleepiness / Neil S. Freedman -- Central sleep apnea : implications for the failing heart / Virend K. Somers -- Obstructive sleep apnea : clinical presentation / Charles W. Atwood, Jr. -- Obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome : epidemiology and pathogenesis / Brian A. Boehlecke -- Evidence and mechanisms linking obstructive sleep apnea to cardiovascular disease / Virend K. Somers -- Treatment for obstructive sleep apnea : surgical and alternative treatments / James M. Parish -- Positive airway pressure therapy for obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome / Neil S. Freedman -- Oral appliances for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea / Donald A. Falace -- Medicolegal aspects of obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome / Brian A. Boehlecke -- Overview of the treatment of obesity / Neil S. Freedman -- Sleep in patients with pulmonary disease / Susan M. Harding -- Pediatric sleep I : normal sleep and nonrespiratory sleep complaints, infancy through adolescence / David M. Hiestand -- Pediatric sleep II: pediatric sleep-disordered breathing / David M. Hiestand -- Sleep and sleep disorders in women / Fiona C. Baker, Kathryn A. Lee, and R. Manber -- Parasomnia in adults / Ruth M. Benca -- Clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of narcolepsy / Lois E. Krahn -- Mental disorders associated with disturbed sleep / Lois E. Krahn -- Sleep and the esophagus / Susan M. Harding -- Circadian rhythm disorders / Lois E. Krahn -- Bruxism / Donald A. Falace -- Restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movements / Michael J. Thorpy -- Introduction to polysomnography / Bashir A. Chaudhary -- Portable monitoring / Charles W. Atwood, Jr. -- Correct CPT coding, billing, and documentation in sleep medicine / Barbara A. Phillips.
- Integrating behavioral health into primary care medical settings has been shown to produce: healthier patients; medical savings; higher patient satisfaction; and, increased physician satisfaction. This book provides practice guidelines and other associated practical tools for the practicing integrative care behavioral health professional.
- Psychosocial problems appear within a medical context worldwide, and are a major burden to health. Psychosomatic Medicine: An International Primer for the Primary Care Setting takes a uniquely global approach in laying the foundations of biopsychosocial basic care (such as recognizing psychosocial and psychosomatic problems, basic counseling, and collaboration with mental health specialists) and provides relevant information about the most common mental and psychosomatic problems and disorders. The scope of the book is interculturalit addresses global cultures, subcultures living in a single country, and strengthening the care given by physicians working abroad. This clinically useful book outlines best practices for diagnosing the most common biopsychosocialproblems and mastering the most common communication challenges (e.g. doctor-patient conversation, breaking bad news, dealing with difficult patients, family and health systems communication and collaboration). Every chapter integrates basic theoretical background and practical skills and includes trans-culturally sensitive material, important for work with patients from different cultures. Psychosomatic Medicine: An International Primer for the Primary Care Setting serves as an excellent resource for clinicians hoping to gain and develop knowledge and skills in psychosomatic medicine.
- Quo vadis medical healing past concepts and new approaches 2009, SpringerMedical healing implies knowledge of the assumptions that underlie our understanding of 'health', and, concomitantly, how we define well being and its opposites, illness and disease. Today, health, health care (business, wellness, recreation), and medicine (especially research-driven scientific medicine) have become separate entities with different institutions, budgets, marketing philosophies and 'corporate cultures'. Furthermore, healing is individual and subjective, yet at the same time also culturally determined. The present volume brings together papers on these topics in an unique interdisciplinary approach. The book provides an ethical framework for healthcare from a political perspective. It discusses definitions of the terminology of healing and health and their ethical and medical implications including their historical contexts. A separate section expands the theme of the cultural constructedness of healing by the concepts of traditional Chinese medicine and homeopathy. Modern medicine has a strong focus on acute care, which urgently needs to place greater emphasis on preventive medicine including the crucial importance of social factors on health and on the emergence of 'public health'. The point of view of Business Concepts, their potential and limitations are by no means neglected and the legal ramifications of genetic research and innovative medical strategies with regard to some of our most foundational notions are discussed.
- Refugee health care an essential medical guide 2014, Springer"Physicians receive very little training in refugee health. Refugee Health Care is a practical guide providing concise information for busy practitioners. This concise textbook reviews common conditions seen in refugees and some of the recommendations in the book apply to all immigrants. It will be a valuable resource for primary care physicians, psychiatrists, pediatricians, women's health providers and any health care practitioner who treats refugees."--Publisher's website.
- Signs and symptoms in family medicine a literature-based approach 2012, ClinicalKey1. Abdominal Pain -- 2. Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding -- 3. Amenorrhea -- 4. Anemia -- 5. Anxiety -- 6. Arthralgia -- 7. Back Pain -- 8. Behavior Problems in Children -- 9. Bleeding and Bruising -- 10. Blood in Stool -- 11. Breast Masses and Nipple Discharge -- 12. Chest Pain -- 13. Child Abuse -- 14. Confusion -- 15. Congestion -- 16. Cough -- 17. Depression -- 18. Diarrhea -- 19. Dizziness -- 20. Earache -- 21. Family Discord -- 22. Fatigue -- 23. Fever -- 24. Headache -- 25. Health Maintenance -- 26. Heartburn -- 27. Hypertension -- 28. Jaundice -- 29. Lower Extremity Pain and Swelling -- 30. Lymphadenopathy -- 31. Menopause --- 32. Neck Pain -- 33. Pelvic or Genital Pain -- 34. Polyuria -- 35. Rashes -- 36. Seizures -- 37. Sexual Dysfunction -- 38. Shortness of Breath -- 39. Sleep Disorders -- 40. Sore Throat -- 41. Substance Abuse -- 42. Urinary Problems -- 43. Vaginal Discharge -- 44. Generalized Weakness -- 45. Weight Change
- Stroke essentials for primary care a practical guide 2009, Springer
- Taylor's Diagnostic and therapeutic challenges a handbook 2005, Springer
- Telemedicine for children's health 2014, Springer"This book describes in detail the potential role of ICT and electronic systems, together with the application of Web 2.0 technologies, in telepediatrics and child health. Rather than simply proposing engineering solutions that may soon become outdated, it is designed to address those real needs that telemedicine and developers are asked to meet. The orientation of the book is very much toward primary care, and both low- and high-income settings as well as extreme or complex scenarios are considered. The first two sections of the book describe different fields of application, such as the community, the hospital, and children with chronic illnesses or special needs, and examine technical issues. The use of telemedicine in delivery of care in extreme rural settings and developing countries is then discussed, with attention also to major emergencies and humanitarian crises. The closing chapters consider the role of modern technologies in the education of caregivers who work with children. Child health is a crucial issue in both industrialized and developing countries. Telemedicine for Children's Health will be an excellent guide to the potential value of telemedicine devices in reducing the burden for children and parents and in offering quick and concrete solutions in low-resource scenarios"--Provided by publisher.
- Textbook of family medicine. 7th ed. Lane Catalog recordPrint Material
- Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. 2011, ClinicalKey
- Treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia modern alternative to transurethral resection of the prostate 2015, Springer
- Treatment of the obese patient. Second edition [2nd ed.] 2014, SpringerThis is a timely and informative updated volume for all health care providers challenged with helping patients manage weight. Similar to the well-reviewed first edition, Treatment of the Obese Patient, Second Edition is directed toward individuals who wish to read further about targeted topics, rather than find an introduction to the field. This second edition again provides insights into recent scientific advances in obesity research and provides the most up-to-date instruction about current treatment issues and strategies for both adults and children. An essential, practical text that sorts, synthesizes, and interprets the latest information on obesity-related topics, Treatment of the Obese Patient, Second Edition, is an essential resource for clinical endocrinologists and other health care providers across a broad spectrum of specialties.
- Understanding teamwork in health care 2014, AccessMedicineA complete introductory guide to the principles and clinical application of team-based medicine, Understanding Team-Based Healthcare emphasizes the essential competencies necessary to implement team-based medicine in a complex hospital or primary care setting. Unlike similar books on the subject which are theoretical or policy-oriented, this text offers practical, real-world coverage, and is valuable for healthcare professionals seeking a thorough explanation of teamwork and for trainers working in hospitals or primary care settings. Features: could also be used as a textbook; mini-cases throughout the text help readers appreciate real-world application of principles; written for a level suited for the non-specialist.
- Visual guide to scleroderma and approach to treatment 2014, Springer1. Brief Overview of Scleroderma: Localized Scleroderma and Systemic Sclerosis (SSc) / Maureen D. Mayes -- 2. Localized Scleroderma / Carolyn A. Bangert, Andrew Kim, and Heidi Jacobe -- 3. Skin Manifestations and Musculoskeletal Disease in SSc / Janet Pope and Maureen D. Mayes -- 4. Nailfold Capillaroscopy / Michael Hughes and Ariane L. Herrick -- 5. Ischemic Digital Ulcers / Fredrick M. Wigley -- 6. Lung Involvement in Systemic Sclerosis / John T. Huggins, James G. Ravenel, and Richard M. Silver -- 7. Gastrointestinal Involvement in Systemic Sclerosis / Dinesh Khanna, Jason Baker, Philip J. Clements, and Christopher P. Denton -- 8. Calcinosis Cutis in Systemic Sclerosis / Gloria A. Salazar and Maureen D. Mayes -- 9. Systemic Sclerosis Mimics / Gloria A. Salazar, Virginia D. Steen, and Maureen D. Mayes.
- Contraception / Lynda M. Bascelli -- Premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder / Harris B. Cohen -- Menopause / Janice E. Nevin and Deborah Ehrenthal -- Osteoporosis / Colleen Veloski -- Women and coronary heart disease / Susan Mather -- Sexual problems / Lenore Tiefer -- Irritable bowel syndrome / Deborah M. Bethards and Ann Ouyang -- Urinary incontinence / Harriette M. Scarpero and Tamara G. Bavendam -- Diabetes in women / Ronald A. Codario -- Polycystic ovarian syndrome / Katherine Sherif -- Cervical cancer detection and prevention / Amy L. Clouse -- Breast disorders / Lori Jardines -- Thyroid disorders / M. Hamed Farooqi and Serge A. Jabbour -- Women's oral health issues / Barbara J. Steinberg ... [et al.] -- Eating disorders / Amy L. Clouse -- Psychiatric disorders in women / Brenda J. Butler -- Intimate partner violence / Connie Mitchell and Deirdre Anglin.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Large number of high quality software and database programming titles from O'Reilly. Other software titles are also available from Sams and Prentice Hall. Limited to 7 concurrent users.Vast collection of software and database programming titles from multiple publishers, including Microsoft Press.Largest provider of engineering-related eBooks; includes titles in computer science and biomedical engineering.Over 4,000 full-text e-books covering scientific and technical information from CRC Press and others. Many handbooks and single volume reference sources.A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more. Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.Includes peer-reviewed life science and biomedical research protocols compiled from Methods in Molecular Biology, Methods in Molecular Medicine, Methods in Biotechnology, Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuromethods, the Biomethods Handbook, the Proteomics Handbook, and Springer Laboratory Manuals.Contains full text access to selected biomedical and nursing books.Provides one-click access to important clinical resources; includes evidence-based diagnosis and treatment guidelines, Books, EBM articles, Ovid MEDLINE, Drug facts and comparisons, Drug interaction facts, guidelines from National Guideline Clearinghouse, patient handouts (English and Spanish), and local content.ClinicalKey provides access to textbooks, electronic journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.