Books by Subject
PerinatologyAccess restricted to Stanford unless otherwise noted
- Advances in fetal and neonatal physiology proceedings of the Center for Perinatal Biology 40th Anniversary Symposium 2014, Springer"To celebrate the Center for Perinatal Biology's 40th Anniversary, an illustrious group gathered at Loma Linda University in February 2013. That gathering of experts and this volume of the proceedings are a tribute to the founder of the Center, Lawrence D. Longo, M.D. These chapters present contributions from individuals who in some way or another were influenced by Dr. Longo. Covering a wide range of topics, and illustrating the diversity of thinking and scientific interests, these proceedings address basic science through to clinical problems in the developmental programming of health and disease"--Publisher's description.
- Assisted ventilation of the neonate. 5th ed. 2011, ClinicalKeyAssisted Ventilation of the Neonate, 5th Edition, by Drs. Jay P. Goldsmith and Edward Karotkin, guides you through the latest innovations in ventilatory assistance, helping you improve outcomes and quality of life in newborns. With a new emphasis on prevention of chronic lung disease and long term neurologic damage, this edition covers basic concepts of pulmonary pathophysiology and offers practical guidance on both basic and advanced ventilation management strategies. Quality improvement strategies such as non-invasive ventilation, early extubation, oxygen targeting and prevention of intraventricular hemorrhage are reviewed. You₂ll also have easy access to the complete contents and illustrations online at expertconsult.com. Access expert coverage of all aspects of neonatal pulmonary care-including complications, nutrition, transport, outcomes, follow-up, and parental education. Sharpen your diagnostic and clinical skills with case studies drawn from actual patients. Find key facts fast with more than 30 quick-reference appendices: normal values, assessment charts, ICU flow charts, procedure steps, and other useful tools. Learn how to best use assisted ventilation equipment and pharmacologic agents to prevent long-term pulmonary and neurologic damage. Benefit from Drs. Goldsmith and Karotkin₂s widely acknowledged expertise in neonatology and pulmonology.
- Atlas of fetal and postnatal brain MR 2010, ClinicalKeySurface Anatomy of the Brain -- Sectional Anatomy of the Fetal Brain -- Sectional Anatomy of the Postnatal Brain.
- Atlas of procedures in neonatology. 4th ed. 2007, OvidPreparation and support -- Physiologic monitoring -- Blood sampling -- Miscellaneous sampling -- Vascular access -- Respiratory care -- Tube replacement -- Transfusions -- Miscellaneous procedures.
- Atlas of procedures in neonatology. 5th ed. 2013, Ovid"The Atlas of Procedures in Neonatology, Fifth Edition, provides detailed, step-by-step instructions on procedures performed in the neonatal intensive care nursery. In an easy-to-follow outline format, with more than 450 drawings and clinical photographs, the book presents clear, current information on indications, preparation, technique, precautions, and how to avoid potential complications.New for this edition: New chapters covering: Brain and Whole Body Cooling; Bubble CPAP; Educational Principles of Simulation Based Procedure Training to help you stay updated on the latest technology and information Access to free online companion website that includes fully searchable text, image bank and videos so you can access the content anytime, anywhere Video collection has been expanded to include: lumbar puncture, intraosseous infusion, bubble CPAP and pericardiocentesis for both commonly performed procedures and vital emergency procedures"--Provided by publisher.
- Atlas of the neonatal rat brain 2011, CRCnetBASE
- Avery's Diseases of the newborn [edited by] Christine A. Gleason, Sherin U. Devaskar.. 9th ed. 2012, ScienceDirectAvery's Diseases of the Newborn, edited by Christine A. Gleason and Sherin U. Devaskar, is a practical, clinical reference for diagnosing and managing of all the important diseases affecting newborns. Thoroughly revised by a team of new editors, this edition provides new perspectives and updated coverage of genetics, nutrition, respiratory conditions, MRSA, neonatal pain, cardiovascular fetal interventions, care of the late preterm infant, and more. Treat newborns effectively with focused coverage of diagnosis and management, including pertinent developmental physiology and the pathogenesis of neonatal problems. Meet every challenge you face in neonatology with Avery's authoritative, comprehensive clinical resource and subspecialty review tool. Navigate quickly and easily with extensive cross-referencing throughout the organ-related sections.
- Neonatology : past, present and future / Gordon Avery -- Current moral priorities and decision making in neonatal-perinatal medicine / Robert J. Boyle and John C. Fletcher -- Neonatology in the United States : scope and -- Organization / Richard L. Bucciarelli -- Neonatal transport / Karen S. Wood and Carl L. Bose -- Telehealth in neonatology / Sarah C. Muttitt, Mary M.K. Seshia, and Liz Loewen -- Newborn intensive care unit design : scientific and practical considerations / Robert White ... [et al.] -- Organization of care and quality in the NICU / Richard Powers and Carolyn Houska Lund -- Law, quality assurance and risk management in the practice of neonatology / Harold Ginzburg and Mhairi MacDonald -- The vulnerable neonate and the neonatal intensive care environment / Penny Glass -- Prenatal diagnosis in the molecular age-indications, procedures, and laboratory techniques / Arie Drugan, Nelson B. Isada, and Mark I. Evans -- Feto-maternal interactions : placental physiology, the in utero environment, and fetal determinants of adult disease / Gabriella Pridjian -- Fetal imaging : ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging / Dorothy I. Bulas -- Fetal therapy / Mark I. Evans ... [et al.] -- The impact of maternal illness on the neonate / Helain J. Landy -- The effects of maternal drugs on the developing fetus / David A. Beckham, Lynda B. Fawcett, and Robert L. Brent --Obstetric anesthesia and analgesia : effects on the fetus and newborn / Judith Littleford -- Cardiorespiratory adjustments at birth / Ruben E. Alvaro and H. Rigatto -- Delivery room management / Virender K. Rehan and Roderic H. Phibbs -- Physical assessment and classification / Michael Narvey and Mary Anne Fletcher -- General care / Ian Laing -- Fluid and electrolyte management / Edward F. Bell and William Oh -- Nutrition / Michael K. Georgieff -- Breastfeeding and the use of human milk in the neonatal intensive care unit / Kathleen A. Marinelli and Kathy Hamelin -- Thermal regulation / Michael Friedman and Stephen Baumgart -- The extremely low birth weight infant / A. Papageorgiou, E. Pelausa, and L. Kovacs --Intrauterine growth restriction and the small-for-gestational-age infant / Marianne S. Anderson and William W. Hay -- Multiple gestations / Mary E. Revenis and Lauren A. Johnson-Robbins -- Control of breathing : development, apnea of prematurity, apparent life-threatening events, sudden infant death syndrome / Mark W. Thompson and Carl E. Hunt -- Acute respiratory disorders / Jeffrey A. Whitsett ... [et al.].
- Breast-feeding early influences on later health 2009, Springer1. Growth and organ development / T.J. Cole -- 2. Nutrient transfer: mammary gland regulation / S.L. Kelleher, B. Lönnerdal -- 3. Micronutrient transfer: infant absorption / B. Lönnerdal, S. L. Kelleher -- 4. Developmental aspects of the mucosal immune system ... / P.L. Ogra -- 5. Infant feeding and growth / K.G. Dewey -- 6. Intestinal flora / C. Kunz, S. Kuntz, S. Rudloff -- 7. Transenteric signalling: mammary messages or white noise / L.T. Weaver -- 8. Immune function / L.Å. Hanson, ... et al. -- 9. Flavour programming during breast-feeding / J.A. Mennella -- 10. Methodological challenges in studying long-term effectors of breast-feeding / M.S. Kramer -- 11. Long term effects of early postnatal diet on adult health / S.E. Ozanne -- 12. Protective effect of breast-feeding against obesity in childhood ... / S. Arenz, R. Von Kries -- 13. Breast-feeding influences on later life - cardiovascular disease / D.A. Leon, G. Ronalds -- 14. Do infants who are breast-fed have an altered risk of developing cancer / R. Martin, G. Davey Smith, D.Gunnell --15. Effects of breast-feeding on cognitive function / K.F. Michaelsen, L. Lauritzen, E L. Mortensen -- 16. Developmental origins of osteoporotic fracture / C. Cooper, ... et al. -- 17. Long-term effects of breast-feeding on asthma and atopic disease / W.H. Oddy -- 18. Evolution of human lactation and complementary feeding: Implications for understanding contemporary cross-cultural variation / D.W. Sellen -- 19. Macy-György prize lecture: my milky way / L.Å. Hanson -- 20. Exclusive breast-feeding and HIV infection / L. Kasonka, S. Filteau, and The Breast-Feeding and Postpartum Health Project Team -- 21. Breast-feeding practices in relation to HIV in India / A.V. Shankar -- 22. Breast-feeding and HIV-1 infection: maternal health / P.A. Otieno -- 23. Early breast-feeding cessation and infant mortality in low-income countries: workshop summary / K.B. Simondon -- 24. Measuring trace immune factors in human milk: workshop summary / S. Filteau -- 25. Abstracts of poster presentations.
- Breastfeeding-- a guide for the medical profession. 7th ed. 2011, ClinicalKeyBreastfeeding is a comprehensive reference that provides basic science information as well as practical applications. Dr. Ruth Lawrence-a pioneer in the field of human lactation-covers the uses of certain drugs in lactating women, infectious diseases related to lactation, the latest Australian research on anatomy and physiology, and much more⁵in print and online. Provide thoughtful guidance to the breastfeeding mother according to her circumstances, problems, and lifestyle from integrated coverage of evidence-based data and practical experience. Make appropriate drug recommendations, including approved medications, over-the-counter medications, and herbal remedies.
- Cardiac drugs in pregnancy 2014, SpringerIn the western world, the risk of cardiovascular disease in pregnancy has grown due to the increasing age at the first pregnancy and the worldwide obesity epidemic leading to early diabetes and hypertension. As a result more women are requiring drug therapy during pregnancy and some data has shown an altered pharmacodynamic profile in pregnant women when compared to the non-pregnant population. Cardiac Drugs in Pregnancy presents up-to-date research for the treatment of cardiovascular disease during pregnancy, and discusses the most important indications of drug usage in pregnancy and postpartum. The book aims to assess the potential risk of drugs and their possible benefit against each other, making it an essential read for a wide range of health professionals involved in cardiac drug therapy in pregnancy.
- Caring for children born small for gestational age 2013, SpringerCare for Children Born Small for Gestational Age is a comprehensive handbook that serves to synthesize the extensive recent literature in the area to provide a practical resource aimed at a wide range of healthcare professionals, including obstetricians, midwives, neonatologists, and primary care physicians. This comprehensive handbook includes an in-depth survey of the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and long-term monitoring of children born small for gestational age, as well as related conditions such as intrauterine growth restriction, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Additionally, the short and long-term psychiatric and social consequences of this condition are addressed.
- Color atlas of fetal and neonatal histology 2011, SpringerThis book serves as a comprehensive atlas of the developmental histology of the major organs from 15 weeks gestation to the neonatal period. Each section includes text on basic embryologic processes that influence the development of each organ and highlight major histologic features that correspond with certain developmental periods. In addition, there are many color photomicrographs at key developmental stages to assist the reader in identifying appropriate histologic changes at each developmental stage. This book will be of great value to students of embryology, pathology residents and fellows, and attending pathologists who perform fetal autopsies.
- Controversies around treatment of the open duct 2011, Springer
- Creasy and Resnik's Maternal-fetal medicine principles and practice. Seventh edition. [7th ed.] 2014, ClinicalKeyHuman Basic Genetics and Patterns of Inheritance -- Normal Early Development -- Amniotic Fluid Dynamics -- Multiple Gestation: The Biology of Twinning -- Biology of Parturition -- Immunology of Pregnancy -- Maternal Cardiovascular, Respiratory, and Renal Adaptation to Pregnancy -- Endocrinology of Pregnancy -- The Breast and the Physiology of Lactation -- Maternal Nutrition -- Developmental Origins of Health and Disease -- Fetal Cardiovascular Physiology -- Behavioral States in the Fetus: Relationship to Fetal Health and Development -- Placental Respiratory Gas Exchange and Fetal Oxygenation -- Fetal Lung Development and Surfactant -- Evidence-Based Practice in Perinatal Medicine -- Performing and Documenting the Fetal Anatomy Ultrasound Examination -- Doppler Ultrasound: Select Fetal and Maternal Applications -- Clinical Applications of Three-Dimensional Sonography in Obstetrics -- Central Nervous System Imaging Cephalocele -- Imaging of the Face and Neck Cleft Lip and Palate -- Thoracic Imaging -- Fetal Cardiac Malformations and Arrhythmias: Detection, Diagnosis, Management, and Prognosis -- Abdominal Imaging -- Urogenital Imaging -- Skeletal Imaging -- Placenta and Umbilical Cord Imaging Marginal and Velamentous Umbilical Cord Insertion -- Uterus and Adnexae Imaging Adnexal Mass, Complex and Simple -- First-Trimester Imaging -- Prenatal Diagnosis of Congenital Disorders -- Teratogenesis and Environmental Exposure -- Assessment of Fetal Health -- Intrapartum Fetal Surveillance -- Assessment and Induction of Fetal Pulmonary Maturity -- Invasive Fetal Therapy -- Hemolytic Disease of the Fetus and Newborn -- Nonimmune Hydrops -- Multiple Gestation: Clinical Characteristics and Management -- Pathogenesis of Spontaneous Preterm Birth -- Preterm Labor and Birth -- Cervical Insufficiency -- Premature Rupture of the Membranes -- Clinical Aspects of Normal and Abnormal Labor -- Recurrent Pregnancy Loss -- Stillbirth -- Placenta Previa, Placenta Accreta, Abruptio Placentae, and Vasa Previa -- Intrauterine Growth Restriction -- Pregnancy-Related Hypertension -- Patient Safety in Obstetrics -- Maternal Mortality -- Maternal and Fetal Infections -- Cardiac Diseases -- Coagulation Disorders in Pregnancy -- Thromboembolic Disease in Pregnancy -- Anemia and Pregnancy -- Malignancy and Pregnancy -- Renal Disorders -- Respiratory Diseases in Pregnancy -- Diabetes in Pregnancy -- Thyroid Disease and Pregnancy -- Other Endocrine Disorders of Pregnancy -- Gastrointestinal Disease in Pregnancy -- Diseases of the Liver, Biliary System, and Pancreas -- Pregnancy and Rheumatic Diseases -- Neurologic Disorders -- Management of Depression and Psychoses in Pregnancy and in the Puerperium -- Substance Abuse in Pregnancy -- The Skin and Pregnancy -- Benign Gynecologic Conditions in Pregnancy -- Anesthesia Considerations for Complicated Pregnancies -- Intensive Care Considerations for the Critically Ill Parturient -- Neonatal Morbidities of Prenatal and Perinatal Origin.
- Drugs during pregnancy and lactation-- treatment options and risk assessment. 2nd ed. 2007, ClinicalKeyGeneral commentary on drug therapy and drug risks in pregnancy / Richard K. Miller, Paul W. Peters, and Christoff E. Schaefer -- Specific drug therapies during pregnancy / Mimke Reuvers and Christof Schaefer -- General commentary on drug therapy and drug risk during lactation / Ruth Lawrence and Christof Schaefer -- Specific drug therapies during lactation / Chistof Schaefer and Ruth Lawrence.
- Drugs in pregnancy and lactation a reference guide to fetal and neonatal risk. Tenth edition. 2015, Ovid
- Epidemiology of human congenital malformations 2014, SpringerAuthored by Bengt Kallen, professor emeritus in embryology at Lund University in Sweden. The subject of this book is to describe the occurrence of congenital malformations among children born and what risk factors exist. Population data are presented for a number of malformations, ascertained with the use of data from the Swedish national health registers for the period 1998-2010 corresponding to some 1.3 million births, together with prospectively collected information on a group of exposures of possible interest.
- Evidence-based neonatal infections 2014, WileyHow to search for evidence -- Epidemiology -- Clinical manifestations -- Laboratory tests -- Rational antibiotic use -- Adjunctive treatment -- Bacterial meningitis -- Respiratory tract infections -- Osteomyelitis and septic arthritis -- Urinary tract infections -- Necrotizing enterocolitis and gastrointestinal infections -- Eye infections -- Skin and soft tissue infections -- Bacterial infections -- Mycoplasmas -- Fungal infections -- Viral infections -- Other congenital infections -- Breast milk -- Surveillance -- Infection control -- Developing countries -- Prevention of neonatal infections -- Neonatal antimicrobials.
- Fanaroff and Martin's Neonatal-perinatal medicine diseases of the fetus and infant. 10th edition. 2015, ClinicalKeyGrowth of neonatal-perinatal medicine : a historical perspective -- Epidemiology for neonatologists -- The organization of perinatal services -- Medical ethics in neonatal care -- Legal issues in neonatal-perinatal medicine -- Evaluating and improving the quality and safety of neonatal intensive care -- Simulation in neonatal-perinatal medicine -- Coding and reimbursement : principles and practices -- Practicing evidence-based neonatal-perinatal medicine -- Perinatal and neonatal care in developing countries -- Genetic aspects of perinatal disease and prenatal diagnosis -- Perinatal imaging -- Estimation of fetal well-being -- Surgical treatment of the fetus -- Adverse exposures to the fetus -- Intrauterine growth restriction -- Developmental origins of adult health and disease -- Hypertensive disorders of pregnancy -- Diabetes mellitus during pregnancy -- Obstetric management of prematurity -- Fetal effects of autoimmune disease -- Obstetric management of multiple gestation and birth -- Post-term pregnancy -- Immune and nonimmune hydrops fetalis -- Amniotic fluid volume -- Chorioamnionitis -- Placental pathology -- Anesthesia for labor and delivery -- Physical examination of the newborn -- Birth injuries -- Congenital anomalies -- Overview and initial management of delivery room resuscitation -- Role of positive pressure ventilation in neonatal resuscitation -- Oxygen therapy in neonatal resuscitation -- Chest compression, medications, and special problems in neonatal resuscitation -- The thermal environment of the intensive care nursery -- The sensory environment of the intensive care nursery -- Design considerations of the intensive care nursery -- Biomedical engineering aspects of neonatal cardiorespiratory monitoring -- Diagnostic imaging of the neonate -- Anesthesia in the neonate -- The late preterm infant -- Nutrient requirements and provision of nutritional support in the premature neonate -- Fluid, electrolytes, and acid-base homeostasis -- Normal mother-infant attachment -- Attachment challenges with premature or sick infants -- Parental mental health issues -- Care of the long-stay infant and parents -- Principles of drug use in the fetus and neonate -- Principles of drug use during lactation -- Pharmacokinetics in neonatal medicine -- Enhancing safe prescribing in the neonatal intensive care unit -- Infants with antenatal exposure to drugs -- Developmental immunology -- Postnatal bacterial infections -- Perinatal fungal and protozoal infections -- Perinatal viral infections -- Normal and abnormal brain development -- White matter damage and encephalopathy of prematurity -- Intracranial hemorrhage and vascular lesions in the neonate -- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy -- Seizures in neonates -- Hypotonia and neuromuscular disease in the neonate -- Disorders in head shape and size -- Myelomeningocele and related neural tube defects -- Hearing loss in the newborn infant -- Assessment and optimization of neurobehavioral development in preterm infants -- Early childhood neurodevelopmental outcomes of high-risk neonates -- Role of imaging in neurodevelopmental outcomes of high-risk neonates -- Lung development and maturation -- Assessment of neonatal pulmonary function -- Respiratory distress syndrome in the neonate -- Assisted ventilation and its complications -- Neonatal respiratory disorders -- Neonatal apnea and the foundation of respiratory control -- Upper airway lesions in the neonate -- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia in the neonate -- Therapy for cardiorespiratory failure in the neonate -- Cardiac embryology -- Pulmonary vascular development -- Genetic and environmental contributions to congenital heart disease -- Prenatal diagnosis of congenital heart disease -- Patent ductus arteriosus -- Congenital defects of the cardiovascular system -- Cardiovascular problems of the neonate -- Disorders of cardiac rhythm and conduction in newborns -- Principles of medical and surgical management of the neonate -- Hematologic and oncologic problems in the fetus and neonate -- Blood component therapy for the neonate -- Development of the neonatal gastrointestinal tract -- Gastroesophageal reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease in the neonate -- Disorders of digestion in the neonate -- Selected gastrointestinal anomalies in the neonate -- Neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis -- Disorders of carbohydrate metabolism in the neonate -- Disorders of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium metabolism in the neonate -- Thyroid disorders in the neonate -- Disorders of sex development -- Inborn errors of metabolism -- Neonatal jaundice and liver diseases -- The kidney and urinary tract of the neonate -- The skin of the neonate -- Examination and common problems of the neonatal eye -- Retinopathy of prematurity -- Musculoskeletal disorders in neonates -- Bone and joint infections in neonates -- Congenital abnormalities of the upper and lower extremities and spine -- Therapeutic agents -- Tables of normal values -- Schedule for immunization of preterm infants.
- Fetal and neonatal physiology. 4th ed. 2011, ClinicalKeyDrs. Polin, Fox, and Abman, focuses on physiologic developments of the fetus and newborn and their impact on the clinical practice of neonatology. A must for practice, this 4th edition brings you the latest information on genetic therapy, intrauterine infections, brain protection and neuroimaging, and much more. Gain a comprehensive, state-of-the-art understanding of normal and abnormal physiology, and its relationship to disease in the fetus and newborn premature infant, from Dr. Richard Polin and other acknowledged worldwide leaders in the field. Understand the implications of fetal and neonatal physiology through chapters devoted to clinical correlation. Apply the latest insights on genetic therapy, intrauterine infections, brain protection and neuroimaging, and much more. Effectively manage the consequences of intrauterine infections with three new chapters covering intrauterine infection and preterm birth, intrauterine infection and brain injury, and intrauterine infection and chronic lung disease.
- Fetal and neonatal secrets. 3rd ed. 2014, ClinicalKeyDrs. Richard Polin and Alan Spitzer, uses the success formula of the Secrets Series to offer fast answers to the most essential clinical questions in fetal and neonatal medicine. With its user-friendly Q & A format, practical tips from neonatologists and fetal medicine experts, and "Key Points" boxes, this portable and easy-to-read medical reference book provides rapid access to the practical knowledge you need to succeed both in practice and on board and recertification exams. New to this edition: Apply all the latest pediatric advances in clinical fetal neonatology techniques, technology, and pharmacology.
- Fetal cardiovascular imaging a disease-based approach 2012, ClinicalKeyComplied by the team at the Cardiac Center at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia, this Expert Consult site and accompanying atlas-style text guide the acquisition and interpretation of fetal images for accurate diagnosis and effective management. Vivid color images, drawings, pathologic specimens and diagnostic algorithms facilitate tracking the progress of development of over 100 fetal heart problems. Enhance your cardiac imaging skills with a video library demonstrating imaging of the normal heart, and the imaging presentation of more than 100 different fetal heart problems. Recognize potential problems using views of the normal heart in development for comparative diagnosis. Get comprehensive coverage of cardiac anatomy, pathophysiology, natural history and disease management. See developing and existing problems as they appear in practice thanks to an abundance of vivid color images, drawings, pathologic specimens, and diagnostic algorithms. Track the progress of development in the fetal heart by using the best imaging modalities & techniques for more accurate diagnosis.
- Fetal radiology a diagnostic atlas. 2nd ed. 2010, SpringerIntrinsic errors of skeletal development are individually rare but of clinical importance because of their overall frequency and their impact on a patient's life. Sonography has become a routine component of prenatal care, and many of these disorders are diagnosed prenatally. Postnatally, the prenatal diagnosis has to be verified. To this end, fetal radiography is an effective, simple and economic way to establish a diagnosis or to narrow the number of diagnostic possibilities sufficiently to enable pathological, biochemical or molecular studies to be used in the quest for a specific diagnosis. Equally important, a correct diagnosis is required for correct prognostication and parental counseling. This book has been written to assist in the postnatal diagnosis of fetal errors of skeletal development.
- Gastroenterology and nutrition neonatology questions and controversies. 2nd ed. 2012, ScienceDirectOverview of digestion and absorption / Josef Neu -- Maturation of motor function in the preterm infant and gastroesophageal reflux / Anna Marla Hibbs -- Development of gastrointestinal motility reflexes / Sudarshan Rao Jadcherla -- Development of the intestinal mucosal barrier / Allan Walker and Camilia Martin -- The developing intestinal microbiome and its relationship to health and disease / Josef Neu -- The developing intestine as an immune organ / Patricia Lin -- The developing gastrointestinal tract in relation to autoimmune disease, allergy, and atopy / Outi Vaarala -- What are the controversies for basic intestinal development and where will the field be moving in the future? / Josef Neu -- Nutritional requirements of the very-low-birthweight infant / Patti Thureen and William Hay Jr. -- Controversies in neonatal nutrition : macronutrients and micronutrients / Frank R. Greer -- Regulation of protein synthesis and proteolysis in the neonate by feeding / Tracy Gautsch Anthony and Susan Hazels Mitmesser -- Lipids for neonates / Sheila M. Innis -- Human milk feeding of the high-risk neonate / Christina Valentine -- Nutritional requirements for the neonate : what are the controversies and where will the field be moving in the future? / Josef Neu -- Necrotizing enterocolitis / Josef Neu -- Special nutrition of the surgical neonate / Tom Jaksic -- Controversies in short bowel syndrome / Marc Rhoads -- Neonatal cholestasis / Joel Andres -- The neonatal gastrointestinal tract as a conduit to systemic inflammation and developmental delays / Josef Neu and James Wynn -- Adult consequences of neonatal and fetal nutrition : mechanisms / Robert Lane -- Technologies for the evaluation of enteral feeding readiness in premature infants / Josef Neu -- What are the controversies for these clinical conditions and where will the field be moving in the future? / Josef Neu.
- Gestational diabetes during and after pregnancy 2010, SpringerHyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcome (HAPO) study: an overview -- Evolution of screening and diagnostic criteria for GDM worldwide -- An overview of problems and solutions in the diagnosis and treatment of gestational diabetes -- Prevalence of GDM -- Risk factors for gestational diabetes: from an epidemiological standpoint -- Burden of GDM in developing countries -- Insulin and the placenta in GDM -- What causes gestational diabetes? -- Mechanisms underlying insulin resistance in human pregnancy and gestational diabetes mellitus -- Inflammation, adipokines, and gestational diabetes mellitus -- Lipids in gestational diabetes: abnormalities and significance -- Blood pressure in GDM -- Genetics of gestational diabetes mellitus and type 2 diabetes -- Maternal obesity and epidemiological review of pregnancy complications -- Maternal comorbidities during gestational diabetes mellitus: obstetrical complications, prematurity, and delivery -- The diabetic intrauterine environment: short and long-term consequences -- Exercise recommendations in women with gestational diabetes mellitus -- Nutrition and weight recommendations for treating gestational diabetes mellitus -- Pharmacological treatment options for gestational diabetes -- Risk for maternal postpartum diabetes -- Contraception before and after GDM -- Lactation and diabetes among women with a history of GDM pregnancy -- Emerging science: interventions in women at risk of GDM during pregnancy -- Diabetes prevention interventions for women with a history of GDM -- Diabetes control programs and policy.
- Guide to neonatal and pediatric ECGs 2013, SpringerElectrocardiography has an ever-expanding role in pediatric cardiology evaluation. The specific competencies required for its optimal use in this setting, however, generally lie beyond the expertise of cardiologists used to dealing with adults. This guide - the product of extensive practical experience in the field of pediatric cardiology - proposes a very simple method for reading neonatal and pediatric ECGs that is based on the application of straightforward criteria and permits the immediate recognition of normal and pathological patterns. The first part of the guide presents and describes this methodology and the parameters of normal pediatric ECGs, while the second part focuses on specific pediatric anomalies. More than 150 ECGs displaying both normal and pathologic findings are included, all of which have been collected from clinical practice and analyzed using the proposed method. This book will be an invaluable reference tool for all cardiologists who deal with newborns and children.
- Handbook of nutrition and pregnancy 2008, Springer
- Hematology, immunology and infectious disease neonatology questions and controversies. 2nd ed. 2012, ScienceDirectUpdated information on stem cells for the neonatologist -- Current issues in the pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment of neonatal thrombocytropenia -- Role of recombinant leukocyte colony-stimulating factors in the neonatal intensive care unit -- Nonhematopoietic effects of erythropoietin -- Why, when, and how should we provide red cell transfusions and erythropoiesis-stimulating agents to support red cell mass in neonates? -- Diagnosis and treatment of immune-mediated and non-immune-mediated hemolytic disease of the newborn -- Hematology and immunology: coagulation disorders -- A practical approach to the neutropenic neonate -- What evidence supports dietary interventions to prevent infant food hypersensitivity and allergy? -- Maternally mediated nenonatal autoimmunity -- CMV: diagnosis, treatment, and considerations on vaccine-mediated prevention -- Neonatal T cell immunity and its regulation by innate immunity and dendritic cells -- Breast milk and viral infection -- Probiotics for the prevention of necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm neonates -- The ureplasma conundrum: should we look or ignore? -- Control of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the neonatal intensive care unit -- Neonatal fungal infections -- The use of biomarkers for detection of early-and late-onset neonatal sepsis -- Chorioamnionitis and its effects on the fetus/neonate: emerging issues and controversies.
- Hemodynamics and cardiology neonatology questions and controversies. 2nd ed. 2012, ScienceDirectNeonatal hemodynamics -- Principles of developmental cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology -- Principles of developmental cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology -- Autoregulation of vital and nonvital organ blood flow in the preterm and term neonate -- Definition of normal blood pressure range: the elusive target -- Diagnosis of neonatal shock: methods and their clinical applications -- Methods to assess systemic and organ blood flow in the neonate -- Functional echocardiography in the neonatal intensive care unit -- Assessment of cardiac output in neonates: techniques using the Fick principle, pulse wave form analysis, and electrical impedance -- Near-infrared spectroscopy and its use for the assessment of tissue perfusion in the neonate -- Clinical applications of near-infrared spectroscopy in neonates -- Advanced magnetic neuroimaging techniques in the neonate with a focus on hemodynamic-related brain injury -- Cardiovascular magnetic resonance in the study of neonatal hemodynamics -- Assessment of the microcirculation in the neonate -- Clinical presentations and relevance of neonatal shock -- Clinical presentations of neonatal shock: the very low birth-weight neonate during the first postnatal day -- Very low birth weight neonate with hemodynamically significant ductus arteriosus during the first postnatal week -- Preterm neonate with cardiovascular and adrenal insufficiency -- Shock in the surgical neonate -- Hemodynamics and brain injury in the preterm neonate -- Fetal and neonatal cardiology -- Embryonic and fetal development -- Genetics of fetal and neonatal cardiovascular disease -- Human cardiac development in the first trimester -- Reappraisal of normal and abnormal cardiac development -- Fetal and neonatal cardiology -- New concepts for training the pediatric cardiology workforce of the future -- Current role of fetal echocardiography -- Clinical evaluation of cardiovascular unction in the human fetus -- Cardiac surgery in the neonate with congenital heart disease -- Regional blood flow monitoring in the perioperative period -- Mechanical pump support and cardiac transplant in the neonate -- Catheter-based therapy in the neonate with congenital heart disease -- Hybrid management techniques in the treatment of the neonate with congenital heart disease.
- Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) and breastfeeding science, research advances, and policy 2012, SpringerPart 1. Transmission of HIV-1 infection to the infant through breastfeeding -- Breastfeeding and Transmission of HIV-1: Epidemiology and Global Magnitude / Mary Glenn Fowler, Athena P. Kourtis, Jim Aizire, Carolyne Onyango-Makumbi and Marc Bulterys -- Breastfeeding and Transmission of Viruses Other than HIV-1 / Claire L. Townsend, Catherine S. Peckham and Claire Thorne -- Breastfeeding Among HIV-1 Infected Women: Maternal Health Outcomes and Social Repercussions / Elizabeth Stringer and Kate Shearer -- Early Diagnosis of HIV Infection in the Breastfed Infant / Chin-Yih Ou, Susan Fiscus, Dennis Ellenberger, Bharat Parekh and Christine Korhonen, et al. -- Part 2. Mechanisms of HIV-1 transmission through breast milk: Virology -- Virologic Determinants of Breast Milk Transmission of HIV-1 / Susan A. Fiscus and Grace M. Aldrovandi -- HIV-1 Resistance to Antiretroviral Agents: Relevance to Mothers and Infants in the Breastfeeding Setting / Michelle S. McConnell and Paul Palumbo -- Animal Models of HIV Transmission Through Breastfeeding and Pediatric HIV Infection / Koen K. A. Van Rompay and Kartika Jayashankar -- Antiretroviral Pharmacology in Breast Milk / Amanda H. Corbett -- Part 3. Mechanisms of HIV-1 transmission through breast milk: Immunology -- The Immune System of Breast Milk: Antimicrobial and Anti-inflammatory Properties / Philippe Lepage and Philippe Van de Perre -- B Lymphocyte-Derived Humoral Immune Defenses in Breast Milk Transmission of the HIV-1 / Laurent Bélec and Athena P. Kourtis -- Cellular Immunity in Breast Milk: Implications for Postnatal Transmission of HIV-1 to the Infant / Steffanie Sabbaj, Chris C. Ibegbu and Athena P. Kourtis -- Part 4. Prevention of breast milk transmission of HIV-1 --Antiretroviral Drugs During Breastfeeding for the Prevention of Postnatal Transmission of HIV-1 / Athena P. Kourtis, Isabelle de Vincenzi, Denise J. Jamieson and Marc Bulterys -- Immune Approaches for the Prevention of Breast Milk Transmission of HIV-1 / Barbara Lohman-Payne, Jennifer Slyker and Sarah L. Rowland-Jones -- Non-antiretroviral Approaches to Prevention of Breast Milk Transmission of HIV-1: Exclusive Breastfeeding, Early Weaning, Treatment of Expressed Breast Milk / Jennifer S. Read -- Breast Milk Micronutrients and Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV-1 / Monal R. Shroff and Eduardo Villamor -- Part 5. Research Implementation and Policy Related to Breastfeeding by HIV-1-Infected Mothers -- Historical Perspective of African-Based Research on HIV-1 Transmission Through Breastfeeding: The Malawi Experience / Taha E. Taha -- Breastfeeding and HIV Infection in China / Christine Korhonen, Liming Wang, Linhong Wang, Serena Fuller and Fang Wang, et al. -- The Role of the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief in Infant and Young Child Feeding Guideline Development and Program Implementation / Michelle R. Adler, Margaret Brewinski, Amie N. Heap and Omotayo Bolu -- HIV-1 and Breastfeeding in the United States / Kristen M. Little, Dale J. Hu and Ken L. Dominguez -- Part 6. DEBATE: Should Women With HIV-1 Infection Breastfeed Their Infants? Balancing the Scientific Evidence, Ethical Issues and Cost-Policy Considerations -- Pendulum Swings in HIV-1 and Infant Feeding Policies: Now Halfway Back / Louise Kuhn and Grace Aldrovandi -- Should Women with HIV-1 Infection Breastfeed Their Infants? It Depends on the Setting / Grace John-Stewart and Ruth Nduati -- Part 7. The Epilogue -- The Future of Breastfeeding in the Face of HIV-1 Infection: Science and Policy / Marc Bulterys and Athena P. Kourtis.
- Immunology of the female genital tract 2014, Springer
- Impact of maternal nutrition on the offspring 2004, KargerMaternal nutrition and adverse pregnancy outcomes: lessons from epidemiology / Kramer, M.S. -- Metabolic disease: evolutionary, developmental and transgenerational influences / Gluckman, P.D., Hanson, M.A. -- Nutrient effects upon embryogenesis: folate, vitamin A and iodine / Rosenquist, T.H. ... [et al.] -- Energy requirements during pregnancy and consequences of deviations from requirement on fetal outcome / Butte, N.F. -- Potential effects of nutrients on placental function and fetal growth / Di Renzo, G.C. ... [et al.] -- Essential fatty acids during pregnancy: impact on mother and child / Hornstra, G. -- Dietary essential fatty acids in early postnatal life: long-term outcomes / Uauy, R. ... [et al.] -- Nutrient-induced maternal hyperinsulinemia and metabolic programming in the progeny / Patel, M.S., Srinivasan, M., Laychock, S.G. -- Maternal malnutrition and the risk of infection in later life / Moore, S.E. ... [et al.].-- Size and body composition at birth and risk of type-2 diabetes: a critical evaluation of 'fetal origins' hypothesis for developing countries / Yajnik, C.S. -- Cardiovascular disease in survivors of the Dutch famine / Bleker, O.P. ... [et al.] -- Relationship between maternal obesity and adverse pregnancy outcomes / Waller, D.K., Dawson, T.E. -- Special problems of nutrition in the pregnancy of teenagers / Pencharz, P.B. -- Dietary intervention during pregnancy and allergic diseases in the offspring / Salvatore, S. ... [et al.] -- Future challenges of nutrition in pregnancy and lactation / Lönnerdal, B.
- Infectious diseases of the fetus and newborn infant. 7th ed. 2011, ClinicalKey
- Brave new world : the intrauterine environment as the biological foundation for the lifespan -- In the beginning -- Maternal influences on the developing fetus -- Implications of maternal programming for fetal neurodevelopment -- Maternal thyroid function during pregnancy: effects on the developing fetal brain -- Obstetric factors related to perinatal brain injury -- Activation of the maternal immune system as a risk factor for neuropsychiatric disorders -- Prenatal infections and schizophrenia in later life: focus on toxoplasma gondii -- Maternally acting alleles in autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders: the role of HLA-DR4 within the major histocompatibility complex.
- Motherhood and postnatal depression narratives of women and their partners / Carolyn Westall, Pranee Liamputtong. 2011, SpringerThis book fills the gap in knowledge of cultural and social issues relating to pregnancy, childbirth, and motherhood. The book is based on a study which explored how women and their partners in Melbourne, Australia, understood and resolved postnatal depression (PND). The central argument was the significance of support before and after the birth for women's emotional well-being. Thirty-three women who experienced PND were individually interviewed, and eighteen partners were either individually interviewed or attended a focus group. Women were asked to draw their experience of PND and its resolution; these drawings were powerful representations of their lived experience and are included in this book. The book highlights the struggles women faced and the amount of support they received from health professionals, family and friends before and after the birth. The partners provided valuable insights about the support they provided to women, their understanding of PND, as well as their own emotional well-being after the birth. This book offers much more than previous books: it provides the stories of both the women and their partners and a research method (drawings) that is new in the health and social sciences.The insights presented in this book can be used to inform and develop programs to identify women who are particularly vulnerable to experiencing PND, or to improve the treatment of the illness to assist other families in their recovery.
- Neonatal and infant dermatology. Third edition. [3rd ed.] 2015, ClinicalKeyFetal Skin Development -- Structure and Function of Newborn Skin -- Lesional Morphology and Assessment -- Skin of the Premature Infant -- Neonatal Skin Care and Toxicology -- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures -- Transient Benign Cutaneous Lesions in the Newborn -- Iatrogenic and Traumatic Injuries -- Developmental Abnormalities -- Vesicles, Pustules, Bullae, Erosions, and Ulcerations -- Inherited and Acquired Blistering Diseases -- Bacterial Infections -- Viral Infections -- Fungal Infections, Infestations, and Parasitic Infections in Neonates and Infants -- Eczematous Disorders -- Papulosquamous and Lichenoid Disorders -- Diaper Area Eruptions -- Erythrodermas, Immunodeficiency, and Metabolic Disorders -- Disorders of Cornification (Ichthyosis) -- Immunologic, Reactive, and Purpuric Disorders -- Infantile Hemangiomas and Other Vascular Tumors -- Vascular Malformations -- Hypopigmentation Disorders -- Disorders of Hyperpigmentation and Melanocytes -- Acneiform and Sweat Gland Disorders -- Lumps, Bumps, and Hamartomas -- Disorders of the Subcutaneous Tissue -- Neoplastic and Infiltrative Diseases -- Selected Hereditary Diseases -- Neonatal Mucous Membrane Disorders -- Hair Disorders -- Nail Disorders.
- Neonatal cranial ultrasonography. 2nd ed. 2012, SpringerCranial ultrasonography is the most important, accessible, patient friendly, and cheapestneuroimaging technique on the neonatal ward. It provides important information on brain maturation in the (preterm) neonate and enables the detection of frequently occurring brain anomalies. In this second edition of Neonatal Cranial Ultrasonography, the focus is on the basics of the technique, from patient preparation through to screening strategies and the classification of abnormalities. Many new ultrasound images have been included to reflect the improvements in image quality since the first edition. Essential information is provided about both the procedure itself and the normal ultrasound anatomy. Standard technique is described and illustrated, but emphasis is also placed on the value of supplementary acoustic windows. The compact design of the book makes it an ideal and handy reference that will guide the novice but also provide useful information for the more experienced practitioner
- Neonatal immunity 2005, SpringerStructure and function of immune system in vertebrates -- Ontogeny and development of cells mediating innate and adaptive immunity -- Phenotypic characteristics of neonatal B cells -- Molecular characteristics of neonatal B cell repertoire -- Genetically programmed temporal ordered activation of neonatal B cell clones -- Antibody response in fetus and newborn -- Effect of maternal antibodies on neonatal B cell response -- Neonatal autoimmune diseases caused by maternal pathogenic autoantibodies -- Phenotypic characteristics of neonatal T cells -- Expression of MHC molecules in neonates -- Neonatal cytokine network -- Cell-mediated immune responses in neonates -- Fetal and neonatal tolerance -- Development of efficient prophylactic vaccines and theracines for newborns and infants .
- Neonatal neurology. 4th ed. 2007, ScienceDirect
- Neonatology a practical approach to neonatal diseases 2012, SpringerNeonatology is a science in rapid evolution, and updated information is crucial for the correct and successful care of newborns and fetuses suffering from severe disorders, who until a few decades ago had no chance of survival. Written in a clear and easy-to-follow way by the most renowned experts in the field, this new textbook wants to offer to neonatologists and pediatricians a modern and complete view of the various problems and aspects of neonatology, currently one of the most complex and advanced fields of pediatrics. The volume contains comprehensive, clear and up-to-date descriptions of the current knowledge of neonatal diseases and of their pathophysiology and treatment, and provides a selection of other relevant information with an evidence-based approach. Figures and diagrams are used to improve understanding of complex problems, and references have been chosen to enable in-depth evaluation of clinical problems. The text pays particular attention to the various diagnostic and/or therapeutic procedures for which reliable guidelines are not yet available. The use of summaries, tables, and accurately selected guidelines or recommendations that will accompany the text will supply quick references and instant solutions to the concerned specialists during their daily practice.This book aims to provide the scientific community with the state of the art on neonatal care in order to avoid as much as possible, or at least limit, the tragic disabilities due to prematurity, abnormal delivery, and diseases affecting these patients. Expert pediatricians, neonatologists, obstetricians, anaesthesiologists, training doctors in these areas, as well as all child caregivers will find it this volume a fundamental tool for their activity, thanks to the schematic and practical information it offers and to the indications of clinical solutions.
- Print Material
- Neurology of the newborn. 5th ed. 2008, ClinicalKeyNeural tube formation and prosencephalic development -- Neuronal proliferation, migration, organization, and myelination -- Neurological examination : normal and abnormal features -- Specialized studies in the neurological evaluation -- Neonatal seizures -- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy : biochemical and physiological aspects -- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy : intrauterine assessment -- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy : neuropathology and pathogenesis -- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy : clinical aspects -- Intracranial hemorrhage : subdural, primary subarachnoid, cerebellar, intraventricular (term infant), and miscellaneous -- Intracranial hemorrhage : germinal matrix-intraventricular hemorrhage of the premature infant -- Hypoglycemia and brain injury -- Bilirubin and brain injury -- Hyperammonemia and other disorders of amino acid metabolism -- Disorders of organic acid metabolism -- Degenerative diseases of the newborn -- Neuromuscular disorders : motor system, evaluation, and arthrogryposis multiplex congenita -- Neuromuscular disorders : levels above the lower motor neuron to the neuromuscular junction -- Neuromuscular disorders : muscle involvement and restricted disorders -- Viral, protozoan, and related intracranial infections -- Bacterial and fungal intracranial infections -- Injuries of extracranial, cranial, intracranial, spinal cord, and peripheral nervous system structures -- Brain tumors and vein of Galen malformations -- Teratogenic effects of drugs and passive addiction.
- Neurology-- neonatology questions and controversies. 2nd ed. 2012, ScienceDirectCerebral circulation and hypotension in the premature infant : diagnosis and treatment / Claire W. McLean ... [et al.] -- Intraventricular hemorrhage and white matter injury in the preterm infant / Toshiki Takenouchi, Jeffrey M. Perlman -- Posthemorrhagic hydrocephalus management strategies / Andrew Whitelaw -- The use of hypothermia to provide neuroprotection for neonatal hypoxic-Ischemic brain injury / Abbot R. Laptook -- General supportive management of the term infant with neonatal encephalopathy following intrapartum hypoxia-ischemia / Ericalyn Kasdorf, Jeffrey M. Perlman -- Perinatal stroke / Eliza H. Myers, Laura R. Ment -- Diagnosis and treatment of neonatal seizures / Mark S. Scher -- Glucose and perinatal brain injury : questions and controversies / Jerome Y. Yager -- Hyperbilirubinemia and the risk for brain injury / Steven M. Shapiro -- Neonatal meningitis : current treatment options / David Kaufman -- Neonatal herpes simplex virus and congenital cytomegalovirus infections / David W. Kimberlin -- Pain and stress : potential impact on the developing brain / Lisa Eiland -- Neonatal hypotonia and neuromuscular disorders / Jahannaz Dastgir, Keung-kit Chan, Basil T. Darras -- Amplitude-integrated EEG and its potential role in augmenting management within the NICU / M.C. Toet, Linda de Vries -- Magnetic resonance imaging's role in the care of the infant at risk for brain injury / Gregory A. Lodygensky, Caroline Menache, Petra S. Huppi -- Long-term follow-up of very low-birth-weight infants / Betty R. Vohr.
- Newborn lung neonatology questions and controversies. 2nd ed. 2012, ScienceDirectMolecular bases for lung development, injury, and repair / Shu Wu -- Genetic influences in lung development and injury / Vineet Bhandari -- Perinatal events and their influence on lung development and function / Alan H. Jobe, Suhas G. Kallapur, Boris W. Kramer -- Hypoxia and hyperoxia : effects on the newborn pulmonary circulation / Stephen Wedgwood, Paul T. Schumacker, Robin Steinhorn -- The role of nitric oxide in lung growth and function / Girija G. Konduri -- Prenatal and postnatal microbial colonization and respiratory outcome in preterm infants / Rose M. Viscardi -- Influence of nutritional neonatal respiratory outcome / Cristina Navarrete, Ilene R.S. Sosenko -- Patent ductus arteriosus and the lung : acute effects and long-term consequences / Eduardo Bancalari, Ilene R.S. Sosenko, Nelson Claure -- Role of stem cells in neonatal lung injury / Karen C. Young, Cleide Suguihara -- New developments in the pathogenesis and prevention of bronchopulmonary dysplasia / Ilene R.S. Sosenko, Eduardo Bancalari -- Long-term pulmonary outcome of preterm infants / Lex W. Doyle -- Respiratory and cardiovascular support in the delivery room / Myra H. Wyckoff -- Noninvasive respiratory support : an alternative to mechanical ventilation in preterm infants / Peter Davis, Colin J. Morley, Brett J. Manley -- Surfactant replacement : present and future / Christian P. Speer, David Sweet -- Oxygenation targeting and outcomes in preterm infants : the new evidence / Win Tin, Waldemar A. Carlo, Samir Gupta -- Hypoxemic episodes in the premature infant : causes, consequences, and management / Nelson Claure, Eduardo Bancalari -- Patient ventilator interaction / Eduardo Bancalari, Nelson Claure -- Strategies for limiting the duration of mechanical ventilation / Eduardo Bancalari, Nelson Claure -- Automation of respiratory support / Nelson Claure, Eduardo Bancalari -- Management of the infant with congenital diaphragmatic hernia / Roberta L. Keller -- Management of the infant with severe bronchopulmonary dysplasia / Steven Abman, Leif D. Nelin.
- Nutrition for the preterm neonate a clinical perspective 2013, SpringerThis book is a collection of state-of-the-art reviews on the various aspects of nutrition for the preterm neonate, by internationally renowned clinicians and researchers from Australia, UK, USA, Canada, and Italy. It provides the scientific basis and clinical perspective on the A to Z of enteral and parenteral nutrition for extremely preterm neonates, making it valuable for all involved in the care of this high-risk population. The topics covered range from the developmental physiology of the gastrointestinal tract, and early trophic feeds, to aggressive enteral and parenteral nutrition, and feeding under special conditions such as intrauterine growth restriction and chronic lung disease. Survival of extremely preterm neonates has improved significantly following the advances in neonatal intensive care. Extrauterine growth restriction is recognised as a serious and almost universal issue in this population. Considering the long term consequences of nutritional deficit and poor growth (e.g. neurodevelopmental impairment, short stature and metabolic disorders), optimising nutrition in the early postnatal life of the preterm neonate is crucial. However this is easier said than done considering the frequency of feed intolerance, fear of necrotising enterocolitis, and the hesitancy in adopting an aggressive approach to parenteral nutrition in this population. The simple and practical approach of this comprehensive and unique book makes it a must read for clinicians as well as researchers involved in neonatal intensive care. It is a useful resource for trainees in neonatology, paediatric gastroenterology, and neonatal nursing, and also for dieticians specialising in neonatal nutrition. Key features and content: · Developmental physiology of the gastrointestinal tract · Systematic review of the evidence in various aspects of nutrition for the preterm neonate · Evidence-based practice in nutrition for the preterm neonate · Current gaps in knowledge and directions for further research.
- Obesity during pregnancy in clinical practice 2014, Springer
- Obstetric and gynecologic ultrasound case review. 3rd ed. 2013, ClinicalKeyAn outstanding title from the popular Case Review Series, Obstetric and Gynecologic Ultrasound provides 119 case histories, with over 300 corresponding images, questions, answers, commentary, references, and more, to enhance your imaging interpretation skills in obstetric and gynecologic ultrasound. Its discussions incorporate the most recent knowledge from OB/GYN ultrasound literature, providing an excellent review for residents and practitioners alike. Turn to Obstetric and Gynecologic Ultrasound as excellent review for the Boards!Effectively prepare for certification, recertification, and practice with content that mimics the new format of board exams as well as the everyday clinical experience.
- Pathology of the human placenta. 6th ed. 2012, SpringerPathology of the Human Placenta remains the most comprehensive and authoritative text in the field. It provides extensive information on the normal placenta, encompassing physiology, metabolism, and endocrinology, and covers placental diseases in great detail. The conditions discussed include shape aberrations, villous alterations and maldevelopment, erythroblastosis fetalis and hydrops fetalis, transplacental hemorrhage, fetal storage disorders, diverse maternal diseases, and infectious diseases. Further chapters are devoted to abortions, molar pregnancies, trophoblastic neoplasms, benign tumors, and multiple pregnancies. Legal considerations are carefully explored, and this new edition also includes a completely new chapter on artificial reproductive technology. In other respects, too, the book has been extensively revised and expanded, with wide-ranging updates that reflect the most recent progress in the field. Some 800 illustrations are included, many of them in color. The detailed index has been further improved and tables updated. Pathology of the Human Placenta will be of enormous value to pathologists and obstetrician-gynecologists alike.
- Often, information in review books can raise as many questions as it answers. This interferes with the study process, because the learner must either look up additional information or skip ahead without truly comprehending what he or she has read. As an alternative, Pediatric Development and Neonatology: A Practically Painless Review presents bite-sized chunks of information that can be read and processed rapidly, helping learners to stay active while studying to understand and process new information the first time they read it. This book's question and answer format allows for self-testing or study with a partner or a group. The format also facilitates dipping into the book during a few minutes of downtime at the hospital or office. Pediatric Development and Neonatology: A Practically Painless Review is a quick and easy way to master these tricky topics and is suitable for those studying for the pediatric board exam, practicing physicians brushing up on their skills, medical students and pediatric residents doing rotations, and any busy clinician who wants to learn more about these topics while on the go.
- Perinatal epidemiology for public health practice 2009, SpringerIntroduction / Melisa M. Adams -- Reproductive Health Issues / Melisa M. Adams -- Maternal Morbidity / Melisa M. Adams -- Maternal Mortality / Melisa M. Adams -- Infant Morbidity / Melisa M. Adams -- The Continuum of Reproductive Loss from Pregnancy Through Infancy / Melisa M. Adams -- Birth Weight, Gestational Duration, and Fetal Growth / Melisa M. Adams -- Conclusion / Melisa M. Adams.
- Perinatal nursing. 4th ed. 2014, OvidPerinatal patient safety and professional liability issues / Kathleen Rice Simpson -- Integrating cultural beliefs and practices when caring for childbearing women and families / Lynn Clark Callister -- Physiologic changes of pregnancy / Susan Tucker Blackburn -- Antenatal care / Mary Lee Barron -- Hypertensive disorders of pregnancy / Judith H. Poole -- Bleeding in pregnancy / Mary Ellen Burke Sosa -- Preterm labor and birth / Nancy Jo Reedy -- Diabetes in pregnancy / Julie M. Daley -- Cardiac disease in pregnancy / Julie Arafeh -- A pulmonary complications in pregnancy / Suzanne McMurtry Baird and Betsy B. Kennedy -- Multiple gestation / Nancy A. Bowers -- Obesity in pregnancy / Mary Ann Maher -- Maternal fetal transport / Judy Wilson-Griffin -- Labor and birth / Kathleen Rice Simpson and Nancy O'Brien-Abel -- Fetal assessment during labor / Audrey Lyndon, Nancy O'Brien Abel, and Kathleen Rice Simpson -- Pain in labor : nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic management / Carol Burke -- Postpartum care / Dotti C. James -- Newborn adaptation to extrauterine life / Debbie Fraser -- Newborn physical assessment / Lyn Vargo -- Newborn nutrition / Jill Janke -- Common neonatal complications / Joan Renaud Smith and Annette Carley.
- A historical perspective on the psychiatry of motherhood / I. Brockington -- Diagnostic classification of perinatal mood disorders / A. Riecher-Rössler, A. Rohde -- Maternal adversity, vulnerability, and disease / S.G. Matthews, M.J. Meaney -- Behavioral perinatology / P.D. Wadhwa -- Maternal depression: an adverse early environment / A.J. Beach ... [et al.] -- Perinatal infanticide and suicide / M.G. Spinelli -- Relevance of gonadal hormones to perinatal mood and anxiety disorders / A. Ahokas ... [et al.] --Pharmacotherapy for psychiatric disorders in pregnancy / L.E. Ross ... [et al.] -- Maternal depression in the postpartum period: impact of breast-feeding on treatment planning / Z.N. Stowe, K. Ragan, D.J. Newport -- The use of interpersonal psychotherapy for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders / S. Stuart, M.W. O'Hara -- Group psychotherapy for depression in early stages of motherhood / M. Hofecker-Fallahpour, A. Riecher-Rössler -- Alternative treatment strategies for perinatal depression and anxiety / M. O'Higgins, V. Glover, M. Corral.
- Physiology of prenatal exercise and fetal development 2012, SpringerMaternal Exercise Throughout Gestation and Fetal Development --Effects of Maternal Exercise on Labor and Delivery --Fetal and Postnatal Growth and Development --Effect on Postnatal Health and Beyond --What are the Barriers to and What is OK for an Exercise Study --Conclusions.
- Positional plagiocephaly 2014, Springer
- Prenatal diagnosis 2008, Springer ProtocolsSpectral Karyotyping (SKY): Applications in Prenatal Diagnostics / S. Mergenthaler-Gatfield, W. Holzgreve and S. Hahn -- Characterization of prenatally assessed de novo small supernumerary marker chromosomes by molecular cytogenetics / T. Liehr -- Rapid Prenatal Aneuploidy Screening by Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH) / A. Weise and T. Liehr -- Application of Multi-PRINS to Simultaneously Identify Chromosomes 18, X, and Y in Prenatal Diagnosis / M. Gadji ... [et al.] -- Prenatal Diagnosis Using Array CGH / C.D. Kashork, A. Theisen and L.G. Shaffer -- Prenatal Detection of Chromosome Aneuploidy by Quantitative Fluorescence PCR / K. Mann, E. Petek and B. Pertl -- Real-time quantitative PCR for the detection of fetal aneuploidies / B.G. Zimmermann and L. Dudarewicz -- MLPA for Prenatal Diagnosis of Commonly Occurring Aneuploidies / J. Schouten and R.J. Galjaard -- MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry for Trisomy Detection / D.J. Huang, M.R. Nelson and W. Holzgreve -- Rapid Detection of Fetal Mendelian Disorders: Thalassemia and Sickle Cell Syndromes / J. Traeger-Synodinos, C. Vrettou and E. Kanavakis -- Rapid detection of fetal mendalian disorders: tay-sachs disease / E. Guetta and L. Peleg -- Arrayed primer extension reaction for genotyping on oligonucleotide microarray / J. Pullat and A. Metspalu -- A Fast Microelectronic Array for Screening and Prenatal Diagnosis of beta-Thalassemia / B. Foglieni ... [et al.] -- RHD Genotyping from Maternal Plasma: Guidelines and Technical Challenges / N.D. Avent -- Isolation of Cell-Free DNA from Maternal Plasma Using Manual and Automated Systems / D.J. Huang ... [et al.] -- Fetal DNA: Strategies for Optimal Recovery / T.J. Legler ... [et al.] -- Quantification of circulatory fetal DNA in the plasma of pregnant women / B.G. Zimmermann, D.G. Maddocks and N.D. Avent -- Detection and Quantification of Fetal DNA in Maternal Plasma by Using LightCycler Technology / Y. Purwosunu, A. Sekizawa and T. Okai -- Size Fractionation of Cell-Free DNA in Maternal Plasma and Its Application in Noninvasive Detection of Fetal Single Gene Point Mutations / Y. Li, W. Holzgreve and S. Hahn -- Maldi-tof mass spectrometry for analyzing cell-free fetal DNA in maternal plasma / C. Ding -- Isolation of Cell-Free RNA from Maternal Plasma / X.Y. Zhong, W. Holzgreve and D.J. Huang -- A microarray approach for systematic identification of placental-derived RNA markers in maternal plasma / N.B. Tsui and Y.M. Lo -- A novel method to identify syncytiotrophoblast-derived RNA products representative of trisomy 21 placental RNA in maternal plasma / A.T. Go ... [et al.] -- Method for extraction of high-quantity and -quality cell-free DNA from amniotic fluid / O. Lapaire, K.L. Johnson and D.W. Bianchi -- Detection of New Screening Markers for Fetal Aneuploidies in Maternal Plasma: A Proteomic Approach / C.S. Reddy, W. Holzgreve and S. Hahn.
- Themes and purpose -- Prenatal central nervous system development -- Low birth weight and prematurity : effects on child development outcomes -- Pre- and perinatal anoxia and hypoxia -- Prenatal infections -- Maternal chronic illness -- Nutrition -- Maternal stress -- Maternal smoking during pregnancy -- Gestational exposure to alcohol -- Maternal use of illicit drugs -- Air and water pollution -- Heavy metals and household chemicals.
- Front Matter -- Colour Plates -- Factors of High-Risk Pregnancy. Overview of High-Risk Pregnancy / John T Queenan, Catherine Y Spong, Charles J Lockwood -- Maternal Nutrition / Edward R Newton -- Alcohol and Substance Abuse / William F Rayburn -- Environmental Agents and Reproductive Risk / Laura Goetzl -- Genetics. Genetic Screening for Mendelian Disorders / Deborah A Driscoll -- Screening for Congenital Heart Disease / Lynn L Simpson -- First- and Second-Trimester Screening for Fetal Aneuploidy and Neural Tube Defects / Julia Unterscheider, Fergal D Malone -- Monitoring: Biochemical and Biophysical. Sonographic Dating and Standard Fetal Biometry / Eliza Berkley, Alfred Abuhamad -- Fetal Lung Maturity / Alessandro Ghidini, Sarah H Poggi -- Antepartum Fetal Monitoring / Brian L Shaffer, Julian T Parer -- Interpreting Intrapartum Fetal Heart Tracings / Michael Nageotte -- Maternal Disease. Sickle Cell Anemia / Scott Roberts -- Anemia / Alessandro Ghidini -- Thrombocytopenia / Robert M Silver -- Inherited and Acquired Thrombophilias / Michael J Paidas -- Thromboembolic Disorders / Christian M Pettker, Charles J Lockwood -- Cardiac Disease / Stephanie R Martin, Alexandria J Hill, Michael R Foley -- Renal Disease / David C Jones -- Pregnancy in Transplant Patients / James R Scott -- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus / Deborah L Conway -- Diabetes Mellitus / George Saade -- Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism / Brian Casey -- Asthma / Michael Schatz -- Epilepsy / Autumn M Klein, Page B Pennell -- Chronic Hypertension / Heather A Bankowski, Dinesh M Shah -- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus / Christina S Han, Edmund F Funai -- Perinatal Infections / Jeanne S Sheffield -- Malaria / Richard M K Adanu -- Group B Streptococcal Infection / Ronald S Gibbs -- Hepatitis / Patrick Duff -- HIV Infection / Howard L Minkoff -- Pregnancy in Women with Physical Disabilities / Caroline C Signore -- Obstetric Complications. Recurrent Spontaneous Abortion / Charles J Lockwood -- Cervical Insufficiency / John Owen -- Gestational Hypertension, Preeclampsia, and Eclampsia / Labib M Ghulmiyyah, Baha M Sibai -- Postpartum Hemorrhage / Michael A Belfort -- Emergency Care / Garrett K Lam, Michael R Foley -- Rh and Other Blood Group Alloimmunizations / Kenneth J Moise -- Multiple Gestations / Karin E Fuchs, Mary E D'Alton -- Polyhydramnios and Oligohydramnios / Ron Beloosesky, Michael G Ross -- Prevention of Preterm Birth / Paul J Meis -- Pathogenesis and Prediction of Preterm Delivery / Catalin S Buhimschi, Charles J Lockwood -- Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes / Brian M Mercer -- Management of Preterm Labor / Vincenzo Berghella -- Placenta Previa and Related Placental Disorders / Yinka Oyelese -- Complications of Labor and Delivery. Prolonged Pregnancy / Teresa Marino, Errol R Norwitz -- Induction of Labor / Nicole M Petrossi, Deborah A Wing -- Cesarean Delivery / Michael W Varner -- Vaginal Birth after Cesarean Delivery / Mark B Landon -- Breech Delivery / Edward R Yeomans, Larry C Gilstrap -- Operative Vaginal Delivery / Edward R Yeomans -- Obstetric Analgesia and Anesthesia / Gilbert J Grant -- Patient Safety / Christian M Pettker -- Neonatal Encephalopathy and Cerebral Palsy / Maged M Costantine, Mary E D'Alton, Gary D V Hankins -- Procedures. Genetic Amniocentesis and Chorionic Villus Sampling / Ronald J Wapner -- Fetal Surgery / Robert H Ball, Hanmin Lee -- Index.
- Radiological imaging of the neonatal chest. 2nd rev. ed. 2008, SpringerEmbryology and Anatomy of the Neonatal Chest / Stephanie Ryan -- Update on Clinical Management of Neonatal Chest Conditions / Anne Twomey -- Computed and Digital Radiography in Neonatal Chest Examination / Amaka C. Offiah -- Hyaline Membrane Disease and Complications of Its Treatment / Veronica Donoghue -- Transient Tachypnoea of the Newborn / Veronica Donoghue -- Meconium Aspiration / Catherine M. Owens -- Diagnostic Imaging of Neonatal Pneumonia / David Manson -- Antenatal Imaging of Chest Malformations / Laurent Garel -- Postnatal Imaging of Chest Malformations / Stephanie Ryan -- Congenital Anomalies of the Neonatal Upper Airway / David Manson -- Computed Tomography of the Central and Peripheral Airways / Alistair D. Calder and Catherine M. Owens -- Ultrasound of the Neonatal Thorax / Ingmar Gassner and Theresa E. Geley -- Ultrasound in Congenital Heart Disease / Colin J. McMahon and Benjamin W. Eidem -- Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Congenital Heart Disease / Christian J. Kellenberger -- Chest Radiography in Congenital Heart Disease / Bjarne Smevik -- Angiocardiography and Intervention in Congenital Heart and Great Vessel Disease / Bjarne Smevik and Per G. Bjørnstad -- Computed Tomography in Congenital Heart Disease / Laureen Sena and Hyun Woo Goo -- Chest Wall Abnormalities which Cause Neonatal Respiratory Distress / Georg F. Eich.
- Radiological interventions in obstetrics and gynaecology 2014, SpringerThis book provides a state-of-the-art review of the technical and clinical aspects of the vascular interventional radiological (IR) procedures currently employed in obstetrics and gynaecology. A particular focus is on uterine artery embolisation for fibroid disease, which is contrasted with the main alternative uterus-conserving surgical approach of myomectomy, and with ablation therapy. Detailed consideration is also given to the role of embolisation in a variety of other less common conditions, including arteriovenous malformations, post-partum haemorrhage, abnormal placentation and pelvic congestion syndrome. IR procedures are examined from a critical gynaecological perspective and with regard to surgical alternatives. The authors include leading interventional radiologists and gynaecologists from the United Kingdom, Europe and North America. .
- Rennie and Roberton's Textbook of neonatology. 5th ed. 2012, ClinicalKeyThoroughly revised and updated, the New Edition of this definitive text explains how to care for neonates using the very latest methods of diagnosis and treatment. This 5th edition represents the state-of-the-art on neonatal care, providing not only detailed pathophysiology and clinical chapters on every condition of the neonate but also comprehensive chapters on the psychosocial aspects of neonatology, such as handling perinatal death and ethical and legal aspects of neonatal care. Contributions from Fetal Medicine experts and Obstetricians provide valuable peripheral information essential to the practice of neonatology. This book is the gold standard for neonatal care and will be an invaluable tool for everyone involved in the care of the neonate. It serves as an authoritative reference for practitioners, a valuable preparation tool for neonatal certification exams, and a useful resource for the entire neonatal care team.
- Scientific basis of healthcare. AIDS and pregnancy / 2012, CRCnetBASEHIV/AIDS : an overview / Francis Agyemang-Yeboah and Bernard C. Nkum -- Can teens teach other teens HIV prevention? : implications for AIDS and pregnancy / Ganga Mahat and Maryann Scoloveno -- Knowledge of antenatal attendees about HIV/AIDS in pregnancy / Anietie Effiong Moses, Emem Abasi Bassey, and Godwin Etim Asuquo -- Midwives and occupational exposures to HIV / Maria Ganczak -- Pregnancy and delivery in HIV positive women : antenatal care and outcome / Karoline Aebi-Popp, Christoph Rudin, and Luigia Elzi -- Management of HIV/AIDS stigma : nursing perspectives / Susan W. Gaskins -- Prenatal assistance to pregnant women with HIV/AIDS / Prescilla Chow ... [et al.] -- Antenatal screening and HIV-pregnancy : strategies for treatment / Ali A. Al-Jabri ... [et al.] -- Low lymphocyte count in HIV-pregnancy and strategies for treatment / Alashle Abimiku and Evaezi Okpokoro -- Antiretroviral regimens recommended for prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV / Christiana Smith and Adriana Weinberg -- Pregnancy-related adverse effects of antiretroviral therapy / Elie Azria, Sophie Matheron, and Dominique Luton.
- Small for gestational age causes and consequences 2009, KargerChildren born small for gestational age : definitions and etiology / Wollmann, H.A. -- Diagnosis and management of in utero growth failure / Odibo, A.O.; Sadovsky, Y. -- Fetal growth restriction and the developmental origins of adult disease hypothesis : experimental studies and biological consequences / Krechowec, S.O.; Thompson, N.M.; Breier, B.H. -- Molecular genetic disorders of fetal growth / Chernausek, S.D. -- Birth weight and later risk of type 2 diabetes / Harder, T. ... [et al.] -- Low birth weight and optimal fetal development : a global perspective / Franko, K.L. ... [et. al.] -- Insulin-like growth factor/growth hormone axis in intrauterine growth and its role in intrauterine growth retardation / Kiess, W. ... [et al.] -- Clinical management of small-for-gestational-age babies / Knüpfer, M. -- Management of short stature in small-for-gestational-age children / Dahlgren, J. -- Puberty and adrenarche in small-for-gestational-age children / Hokken-Koelega, A.C.S. -- Neurological and intellectual consequences of being born small for gestational age / Tuvemo, T.; Lundgren, E.M. -- Low birth weight in developing countries / Qadir, M.; Bhutta, Z.A.
- Twining's Textbook of fetal abnormalities. 3rd edition. 2015, ClinicalKeyFirst-trimester detection of fetal anomalies -- Fetal aneuploidies -- Routine fetal anomaly scan -- Amniotic fluid -- Disorders of the placenta : localization and placental attachment disorders -- Prenatal diagnosis of fetal infections -- Fetal anomalies: the geneticist's approach -- Diagnosis of hydrops and multiple malformation syndromes -- Assessment of twin gestation -- Fetal growth -- Cranial abnormalities -- Diagnosis of spina bifida and other dysraphisms in the fetus -- Abnormalities of the face and neck -- Cardiac abnormalities and arrhythmias -- Pulmonary abnormalities -- Skeletal abnormalities -- Abdominal and abdominal wall abnormalities -- Urinary tract abnormalities -- Haematological disorders -- Fetal tumours -- Fetal magnetic resonance imaging -- Fetal pathology.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
Bookmark on other websites
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases