Books by Subject
Pain Medicine and Palliative Medicine
- 5 minute pain management consult 2007, Ovid
- Analgesia 2007, SpringerPart I. Introduction --Peripheral and central mechanism of pain generation /H.G. Schaible --Part II.Drugs in clinical use --Opioids /C. Zöllner, C. Stein --Antipyretic analgesics: nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs, selective COX-2 inhibitors, paracetamol and pyrazolionones /B. Hinz, K. Brune --Local anesthetics /R. Yanagidate, G.R. Strichartz --Serotonin receptor ligands: treatments of acute migraine and cluster headache /P.J. Goadsby --Anti-convulsants and anti-depressants /A.H. Dickenson, J. Ghandehari --Part III.Compounds in preclinical development --Neuropeptide and kinin antagonists /R. G. Hill, K.R. Oliver --Glutamate receptor ligands /V. Neugebauer --Adrenergic and cholinergic compounds /R. D. Sanders, M. Maze --Cannabinoids and pain /I.J. Lever, A.S.C. Rice --Part IV.Future targets in analgesia research --Adenosine and ATP receptors /J. Sawynok --Ion channels in analgesia research /J.N. Wood --Protein kinases as potential targets for the treatment of pathological pain /R. R. Ji, Y. Kawasaki, Z. Y. Zhuang, Y.R. Wen, Y.Q. Zhang --Part V.Pain Management beyond pharmacotherapy --Placebo and endogenous mechanisms of analgesia /F. Bededetti --Limitations of pharmacotherapy: behavioral approaches to chronic pain /H. Flor, M. Diers --Subject index.
- Animal models of pain 2011, Springer ProtocolsAssessment of pain in animals / Wenrui Xie -- Animal models of inflammatory pain / Rui-Xin Zhang and Ke Ren -- Animal models of visceral pain / Karin N. Westlund -- Animal models of pain after peripheral nerve injury / Lintao Qu and Chao Ma -- Animal models of pain after injury to the spinal ganglia and dorsal roots / Xue-Jun Song -- Localized inflammatory irritation of the lumbar ganglia : an animal model of chemogenic low back pain and radiculopathy / Jun-Ming Zhang -- Animal models of central neuropathic pain / Bryan Hains and Louis P. Vera-Portocarrero -- Animal models of cancer pain / Paul W. Wacnik, Cholawat Pacharinsak, and Alvin J. Beitz -- Animal models of diabetic neuropathic pain / Maxim Dobretsov ... [et al.] -- Animal models of HIV-associated painful sensory neuropathy / Sonia K. Bhangoo, Lauren Petty, and Fletcher A. White -- Animal models of postoperative pain / Chaoran Wu ... [et al.].
- Atlas of implantable therapies for pain management 2011, Springer
- Atlas of uncommon pain syndromes. 3rd ed. 2014, ScienceDirect
- Bladder pain syndrome 2013, SpringerHistorical Perspective / Philip M. Hanno M.D., M.P.H. -- Epidemiology / Mirja Ruutu M.D., Ph.D., F.E.B.U., Mikael Leppilahti MD, PhD -- Diagnostic Criteria, Classification and Nomenclature for Bladder Pain Syndrome / Joop P. van de Merwe MD, PhD, Jørgen Nordling MD, Dr.med.Sci, FEBU -- Part I: Pathophysiology -- Clinical Pathophysiology and Molecular Biology of the Urothelium and the GAG Layer / Gianfranco Tajana, Mauro Cervigni -- Mast Cell and Bladder Pain Syndrome / Kirsten Bouchelouche M.D., D.M.Sc., Pierre Bouchelouche M.D. -- Neurophysiology of Pelvic Pain Mechanisms / Jean-Jacques Wyndaele M.D., D.Sci., Ph.D., Silvia Malaguti M.D. -- Syndromes Associated with Bladder Pain Syndrome as Clues to its Pathogenesis / John W. Warren M.D., Joop P. van de Merwe M.D., Ph.D. -- Part II: Clinical Presentations -- Bladder Pain Syndrome: Clinical Presentation / John Hughes M.B.B.S., F.R.C.A., F.F.P.M.R.C.A. -- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction in Bladder Pain Syndrome / Mauro Cervigni M.D., Franca Natale M.D. -- Psychosocial Risk Factors and Patient Outcomes for Bladder Pain Syndrome / Dean A. Tripp Ph.D., J. Curtis Nickel M.D., F.R.C.S.C. -- Bladder Pain Syndrome and Sexuality / Jennifer Yonaitis Fariello M.S.N., C.R.N.P., Kristene E. Whitmore M.D. -- Part III: Diagnosis -- Symptoms of Bladder Pain Syndrome / John W. Warren M.D., Philip M. Hanno M.D., M.P.H. -- Clinical Evaluation and Diagnosis of Bladder Pain Syndrome / Jennifer Yonaitis Fariello M.S.N., C.R.N.P., Kristene E. Whitmore M.D. -- Urine Biomarkers and Bladder Pain Syndrome / Pierre Bouchelouche M.D., Kirsten Bouchelouche M.D., DMSc. -- Cystoscopy and Hydrodistension in the Diagnosis of Bladder Pain Syndrome / Andrey Zaytsev M.D., Ph.D., Magnus Fall M.D., Ph.D. -- Biopsy Retrieval, Tissue Handling, Morphology, and Histopathological Characteristics / Christina Kåbjörn-Gustafsson, Ralph Peeker -- Urodynamics in BPS / Paul P. Irwin M.Ch., F.R.C.S.I(Urol), Claus Riedl M.D. -- Complementary and Alternative Medical Treatments of Bladder Pain Syndrome / Z. Chad Baxter M.D., Helen R. Levey D.O., M.P.H. -- Diet and Its Role in Bladder Pain Syndrome and Comorbid Conditions / Justin I. Friedlander, Barbara Shorter, Robert M. Moldwin -- Physiotherapy / Amy Rejba Hoffmann M.S.N., Hina M. Sheth M.S., P.T., O.C.S., M.T.C. -- Oral Therapy for Bladder Pain Syndrome Directed at the Bladder / Philip M. Hanno M.D., M.P.H. -- Pain Treatment in Bladder Pain Syndrome / John Hughes M.B.B.S., F.R.C.A., F.F.P.M.R.C.A., Salma Mohammed M.B.B.S., F.R.C.A. -- Intravesical Therapy / Mauro Cervigni M.D., Arndt van Ophoven M.D., Ph.D. -- Hydrodistention, Transurethral Resection and Other Ablative Techniques in the Treatment of Bladder Pain Syndrome / Magnus Fall M.D., Ph.D., Jørgen Nordling M.D., Dr. Med. Sci., F.E.B.U., Ralph Peeker -- Botulinum Toxin Treatment in Bladder Pain Syndrome / Paul P. Irwin M.Ch., F.R.C.S.I. (Urol), Paulo Dinis Oliveria M.D., Ph.D. -- Neurostimulation for Bladder Pain Syndrome / Dominique El-Khawand M.D., Kristene E. Whitmore -- Bladder Augmentation, Urinary Diversion and Cystectomy in Patients with Bladder Pain Syndrome / Jørgen Nordling, Magnus Fall, Ralph Peeker -- Part V: Patient Perspective -- A Patient Perspective / Jane M. Meijlink BA Hons -- Exploratory Research on the Social Costs and Care for Patients with Bladder Pain Syndrome / Loredana Nasta, Simone Montagnoli, Maria Avolio.
- Bonica's Management of pain. 3rd ed. 2001, Ovid
- Botulinum toxin in painful diseases 2003, Karger
- Bringing pain relief to children 2006, SpringerHospital-based pain care for infants and children / Brenda C. McClain -- Treatment of acute and chronic pain in the outpatient setting / Neil L. Schechter -- Pain and pain relief in pediatric end-of-life care / John J. Collins and Gerri Frager -- Residential treatment settings for adolescent chronic pain management : rationale, development and evidence / Christopher Eccleston, Hannah Connell, and Nicola Carmichael -- Managing pediatric pain at school / Ronald T. Brown -- Efficacy of complementary and alternative medicine approaches for pediatric pain : state of the science / Jennie C.I. Tsao, Marcia Meldrum, and Lonnie K. Zeltzer -- Technology in pediatric pain management / Patrick J. McGrath, Carolyn Watters, and Erin Moon -- Developing pain services around the world / G. Allen Finley and Paula A. Forgeron -- Knowledge translation and pain management / Shannon Scott-Findlay and Carole A. Estabrooks.
- Choices in palliative care 2007, SpringerPalliative care in acute care hospitals / Randy Hebert, Nicole Fowler, and Robert Arnold -- Palliative care in nursing facilities / Brenda Mamber -- Patient-centered palliative care in the home / Francine Rainone and Marlene McHugh -- Hospice care / Carolyn Cassin -- The role of cancer rehabilitation in the maintenance of functional integrity and quality of life / Andrea Cheville, Vivek Khemka, and Sean O'Mahony -- HIV/AIDS and palliative care : models of care and policy issues / Peter A. Selwyn ... [et al.] -- Palliative care and chronic obstructive lung disease / Manoj Karwa, Alpana Chandra, and Adnan Mirza -- Palliative care and chronic heart failure / Vikas Bhatara ... [et al.] -- Palliative care for patients with Alzheimer's dementia : advance care planning across transition points / Jennifer Rhodes-Kropf -- Children and issues around palliative care / Tamara Vesel, Rita Fountain, and Joanne Wolfe -- Palliative care and the elderly : complex case management / Sean O'Mahoney and Franca Martino-Starvaggi -- The business of palliative medicine : business planning, models of care and program development / Ruth Lagman and Declan Walsh -- Palliative care and quality management : the core principles of quality improvement and their utility in designing clinical programs for end of life care and complex case management models / Sarah Myers and Arthur E. Blank -- Ethics and the delivery of palliative care / Linda Faber-Post.
- Chronic pain 2005, SpringerSummary of pain management issues: frequent concerns in treating chronic pain patients -- Pathogenesis of chronic pain -- Headache -- Cervical and lumbar pain -- Abdominal pain -- Arthritis -- Neuropathic pain -- Myofascial pain -- Fibromyalgia -- Pediatric pain -- Pregnancy and pain -- Geriatrics and chronic pain -- Gender and ethnic issues -- Psychological comorbidity -- Obesity and chronic pain -- Opioids in chronic pain.
- Chronic pain and brain abnormalities 2014, ScienceDirectIt is only natural for someone in pain to attend to the body part that hurts. Yet this book tells the story of persistent pain having negative effects on brain function. The contributors, all leading experts in their respective fields of pain electrophysiology, brain imaging, and animal models of pain, strive to synthesize compelling and, in some ways, connected hypotheses with regard to pain-related changes in the brain. Together, they contribute their clinical, academic, and theoretical expertise in a comprehensive overview that attempts to define the broader philosophical context of pain (disentangling sensical from nonsensical claims), list the changes known to take place in the brains of individuals with chronic pain and animal models of pain, address the possible causes and mechanisms underlying these changes, and detail the techniques and analytical methods at our disposal to "visualize" and study these changes. Philosophical and social concepts of pain; testimonials of chronic-pain patients. Clinical data from pain patients' brains. Advances in noninvasive brain imaging for pain patients. Combining theoretical and empirical approaches to the analysis of pain-related brain function. Manipulation of brain function in animal models. Emerging neurotechnology principles for pain diagnostics and therapeutics.
- Chronic pain and family 2006, Springer
- Comprehensive treatment of chronic pain by medical, interventional, and integrative approaches 2013, SpringerPt. 1. Medical approaches -- Pt. 2. Interventional approaches: anatomy and physiology of pain -- Pt. 3. Interventional approaches: neural blockade and neurolysis blocks -- Pt. 4. Interventional approaches: neuromodulation -- Pt. 5. Integrative approaches.
- Death, dying and bereavement 2010, ebraryDeath and Dying in Modern Britain -- Palliative Care Philosophy and Practice -- Hospice Development in the UK -- Spirituality -- Understanding Grief -- Supporting Bereaved People -- Issues for Policy and Practice.
- Diet and nutrition in palliative care 2011, CRCnetBASE
- Encyclopedia of pain 2007, Springerv. 1. A-G -- v. 2. H-O -- v. 3. P-Z.
- End-of-life communication in the ICU 2008, SpringerIntroduction -- Chapter 1. Multinational Perspectives on End-of-Life Issues in the Intensive Care Unit -- The United States -- Canada -- New Zealand -- United Kingdom -- Communicating to family: the Israeli perspective -- Maria and the good death: the Latin American view -- The Greek perspective -- The South African perspective -- A perspective from India -- Japan -- Chapter 2. Critical Illness and End-of-Life Issues: A Global View -- An evaluation of international medical ethics at the end of life -- Communication in the Intensive Care Unit -- End-of Life issues in the critically ill: a global perspective -- Chapter 3. Death in a Lonely Place: Pathophysiology of the Dying Patient -- Chapter 4. The History of the Definition(s) of Death: From the 18th Century to the 20th Century -- Chapter 5. What It Feels Like to Live and Die on Prolonged Life Support -- Chapter 6. Who's in Charge in the Intensive Care Unit? -- Chapter 7. Dealing with Difficult Surrogates -- Erring on the side of autonomy -- Erring on the side of reason -- Healthcare providers' contribution to the problem of futility -- Chapter 8. Emotions in the Intensive Care Unit -- Chapter 9. The Role of Ethics Committees in End-of-Life Care -- Chapter 10. Medical Liability Issues in Dealing with Critical Care Patients in the End-of-Life Situation -- Chapter 11. End-of-Life Issues and United States Politics -- Chapter 12. Comments from Ancillary Healthcare Providers -- My experiences with end-of-life as a bedside-nurse -- A Chaplain's perspective -- Pharmacotherapy considerations during end-of-life care of critically ill adults -- Chapter 13. The Intensive Care Unit of the Future -- Afterword.
- Essentials of pain management 2011, Springer
- Essentials of pain medicine. 3rd ed. 2011, ScienceDirectSection I. Basic Considerations -- Section II. Clinical Evaluation and Diagnostic Examinations -- Section III. Pharmacology and Pharmacologic Modalities -- Section IV. Therapeutic Interventions -- Section V. Perioperative Pain Management -- Section VI. Chronic Pain Syndromes -- Section VII. Interventional Techniques for Pain Management -- Section VIII. Cancer Pain -- Section IX. Nerve Blockade.
- Functional neuroanatomy of pain 2006, Springer
- Genitourinary pain and inflammation 2008, Springer
- Handbook of pain and palliative care 2012, Springer
- Handbook of pain management 2008, Springer
- Handbook of pain relief in older adults. 2nd ed. 2011, Springer
- Handbook of pediatric chronic pain 2011, Springer
- Headache and chronic pain syndromes 2007, Springer
- HIV care 2004, Promot ExcellFulltext Growthhouse"This report, written by the Promoting Excellence in End-of-Life Care Peer Workgroup on Palliative and End-of-Life Care in HIV/AIDS, an interdisciplinary group of clinicians and researchers, provides an assessment of unmet needs of HIV patients and their families with respect to comfort, quality of life and caregiver support, and calls for the re-integration of palliative care into the continuum of HIV care."--Executive Summary.
- How to manage pain in the elderly 2010, ebraryThe aging of America : the problem of pain in older adults -- Pain assessment in the older patient -- Pain medication management for older adults -- Complementary methods for pain relief -- Acute pain management -- Chronic pain management -- Interventional pain management for older patients -- Palliative care.
- Innovation in pain management 2004, Wellcome Trust
- Interventional radiology in pain treatment 2007, Springer
- Making health care whole 2010, ebraryWhile spirituality has been generally recognized as an essential dimension of palliative care, uniformity of spiritual care practice has been lacking across healthcare settings due to factors like varying understandings and definitions of spirituality, lack of resources and practical tools, and limited professional education and training in spiritual care. In order to address these shortcomings, more than forty spiritual and palliative care experts gathered for a national conference to discuss guidelines for incorporating spirituality into palliative care. Their consensus findings form the basis of Making Health Care Whole. This important new resource provides much-needed definitions and charts a common language for addressing spiritual care across the disciplines of medicine, nursing, social work, chaplaincy, psychology, and other groups. This book also advocates a team approach to spiritual care, and specifies the roles of each professional on the team. Serving as both a scholarly review of the field as well as a practical resource with specific recommendations to improve spiritual care in clinical practice, Making Health Care Whole will benefit hospices and palliative care programs in hospitals, home care services, and long-term care services.
- Maldynia 2011, CRCnetBASE"An in depth examination of maldynia, also known as chronic pain, this book explores pain as a bio-cultural phenomenon that necessitates reexamination of medical philosophy, ethics, education, and practice. It provides a historical account of pain and then frames it with contemporary neurobiological perspectives. This book supplies a foundation upon which to illustrate (1) how what we know about pain could and should influence medical education, and the scope, and value (s) of medical practice, and (2) how a knowledge of the history and present considerations of pain might help to construct meaningful, patient-centered medicine"--Provided by publisher.
- Neurophysiologic basis of pain /Gary Jay Brenner --Pain mechanisms and their importance in clinical practice and research /Isabelle Decosterd and Clifford J. Woolf --The placebo effect /Eija Kalso --The history and clinical examination /Jan Slezak and Asteghik Hacobian --Diagnostic imaging and pain management /Onassis A. Caneris --Assessment of pain /Alyssa A. LeBel --Neurophysiologic testing in pain management /Annabel D. Edwards and Lisa S. Krivickas --Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs /Jane C. Ballantyne and Steven A. Barna --Opioids /Jeffrey Uppington --Adjuvant treatments /Karla Hayes --Psychopharmacology for the pain specialist /Daniel M. Rockers and Karla Hayes --Diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in pain management /Milan P. Stojanovic --Neuromodulation techniques for the treatment of pain /Milan P. Stojanovic --Neurosurgical pain management /Ramin Amirnovin, G. Rees Cosgrove, and Emad N. Eskandar --Psychological assessment and behavioral treatment of chronic pain /Ronald J. Kulich and Lainie Andrew --Physical therapy /Theresa H. Michel and Harriët Wittink --Physiatric treatment of pain /Joseph F. Audette and Allison Bailey --Acupuncture /Jasmin M. Field, Lucy L. Chen, and May C.M. Pian-Smith --Chronic pain rehabilitation /Elizabeth Loder and Patricia W. McAlary --Radiotherapy and radiopharmaceuticals for cancer pain /Thomas F. DeLaney --Postoperative pain in adults /Jane C. Ballantyne and Elizabeth Ryder --Postoperative pain in children /Lucy L. Chen and Jane C. Ballantyne --Pain in burn patients /Salahadin Abdi and Bucknam McPeek --Pain management in sickle cell disease /Jatinder Gill --Neuropathic pain syndromes /Dennis Dey and Anne Louise Oaklander --Complex regional pain syndrome /Eugenia-Daniela Hord --Low back pain /James P. Rathmell ... [et al.] --Headache /Fred Michael Cutrer and David F. Black --Orofacial pain /Alexandre F.M. DeSilva and Martin Andrew Acquadro --Opioids in chronic nonterminal pain /Jane C. Ballantyne --Pain in Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome /S. Jane Marshall, Sarah Cox, and Andrew S.C. Rice --Pain in adults with cancer /Eugenia-Daniela Hord, Jeffrey A. Norton, and Annabel D. Edwards --Control of pain in children with chronic and terminal disease /Alyssa A. LeBel --Palliative medicine /Constance M. Dahlin, Andrew Tyler Putnam, and J. Andrew Billings --Long-term opioid therapy, drug abuse, and addiction /Barth L. Wilsey and Scott Fishman --Pain and affective disorders /Daniel M. Rockers and Scott Fishman --Emergencies in the pain clinic /Asteghik Hacobian and Milan P. Stojanovic --Appendices.
- Last Acts is a national coalition to improve care and caring near the end of life. This report describes the state of dying in America, comparing states on several elements of end of life care such as the use of advance care directives, hospice use, hospital end-of-life care services, care in ICUs, and pain among the dying. Case studies are used to supplement the state-by-state comparison.
- Molecular pain 2007, SpringerGenes, neurons and neurotransmission -- Glutamate, excitatory transmission and pain -- Neuropeptides, ATP, retrograde messengers and opioids -- Inhibitory transmission and plasticity -- Postsynaptic signaling and gene regulation -- Peripheral nociceptor, amygdala and fear -- Spinal plasticity, reorganization and chronic pain -- Cortical plasticity, reorganization and amputation -- Endogenous analgesia and other form of analgesia -- Models for studying pain and searching for pain killers.
- On suffering 2011, ebraryThe first book to address issues of suffering as separate from pain that require psychologically and culturally sensitive interventions
- Opioid research 2003, Springer Protocols
- Pain 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Pain 2006, ScienceDirectSection 1. Pain and neurology -- Section 2. The neurobiology of pain -- Peripheral signaling of pain -- Spinal cord processing -- Supraspinal processing -- Endogenous pain modulation -- Section 3. The pathophysiology of pain -- Section 4. Pain assessment -- Neurophysiological examinations in neuropathic pain -- Section 5. Pain conditions in neurology: peripheral neuropathies -- Pain after nerve injury -- Facial pain -- Polyneuropathies and pain -- Section 6. Pain conditions in neurology: central neuropathic pain -- Section 7. Other pain conditions of neurological interest -- Section 8. Treatment of neuropathic pain -- Subject index.
- Pain procedures in clinical practice. 3rd ed. 2011, ScienceDirect
- Pain research 2004, Springer ProtocolsMechanistic dissection of pain: from DNA to animal models / Z. David Luo -- Assessment of acute thermal nociception in laboratory Animals / Jeffrey W. Allen and Tony L. Yaksh -- Tissue injury models of persistent nociception in rats / Jeffrey W. Allen and Tony L. Yaksh -- Segmental spinal nerve ligation model of neuropathic pain / Jin Mo Chung, Hee Kee Kim, and Kyungsoon Chung -- Partial sciatic nerve transection / Thies Lindenlaub and Claudia Sommer -- Modeling diabetic sensory neuropathy in rats / Nigel A. Calcutt -- Sciatic inflammatory neuropathy in the rat: surgical procedures, induction of inflammation, and behavioral testing / Erin D. Milligan, Steven F. Marier, and Linda R. Watkins -- A rat pain model of vincristine-induced neuropathy / Emiliano S. Higuera and Z. David Luo -- Loop dialysis catheter: a technology for chronic spinal dialysis in a freely moving rat / Martin Marsala -- Intrathecal catheterization and drug delivery in the rat / Shelle A. Malkmus and Tony L. Yaksh --Trigeminal neuronal recording in animal models of orofacial pain / Koichi Iwata, Yuji Masuda, and Ke Ren -- In vivo electrophysiology of dorsal-horn neurons / Louise C. Stanfa and Anthony H. Dickenson -- Single fiber recording: in vivo and in vitro preparations / Maria Schäfers and David Cain -- Anatomical identification of neurons responsive to nociceptive stimuli / Luc Jasmin and Peter T. Ohara -- Isolation and culture of sensory neurons from the dorsal-root ganglia of embryonic or adult rats / Thomas H. Burkey, Cynthia M. Hingtgen, and Michael R. Vasko -- Primary cultures of neonatal rat spinal cord / Virginia S. Seybold and Lia G. Abrahams -- Single-cell laser capture microdissection and RNA amplification -- Fredrik Kamme ... [et al.] -- Semi-quantitative real-time PCR for pain research / Hong Qing Guo and Sandra R. Chaplan -- Functional genomic analysis in pain research using hybridization arrays / Stephen J. Walker ... [et al.] -- Generation of transgenic mice / Guoping Feng, Jing Lu, and Jimmy Gross -- Knockout mouse models in pain research / Andrée Dierich and Brigitte L. Kieffer.
- Palliative care 2006, Springer
- Palliative care 2010, SpringerGlobal Palliative Care Issues / Marissa Slaven -- Palliative Care Communication Issues / Joshua Hauser -- Nutritional Palliative Care Issues / Clay M. Anderson -- Psychiatric Palliative Care Issues / Jane E. Loitman and Teresa Deshields -- Cardiac Palliative Care Issues / David Wensel and Drew A. Rosielle -- Pulmonary Palliative Care Issues / Karin B. Porter-Williamson -- GI Palliative Care Issues / Eric Roeland and Gary Buckholz -- Palliative Pain Issues / Miles J. Belgrade -- Palliative Wound and Skin Issues / Cynthia A. Worley -- Issues in the Last Hours / Jane E. Loitman and Christian T. Sinclair.
- Palliative care in clinical practice 2012, Springer
- Palliative care:. 2nd ed. 2011, ScienceDirect
- Palliative medicine 2009, MD Consult
- Palliative neurology 2006, ebrarySection I. Palliative management -- Introduction to palliation -- Characteristics of palliation -- Nodal points in decision-making -- Common deficiencies in palliative management -- Common themes in palliation practice -- Section II. Major discomforts in advanced neurological illness -- Fatigue -- Problems with muscles and movement -- Bulbar symptoms -- Respiratory symptoms -- Gastrointestinal symptoms -- Urological symptoms -- Pain -- Cognitive, behavioural and psychological symptoms -- Miscellaneous symptoms -- Section III. Major neurological conditions requiring palliation -- Cerebrovascular diseases : stroke -- Demyelinating diseases -- Parkinson's disease and related disorders -- Dementia -- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (motor neurone disease) -- Incurable infections of the nervous system -- Muscular dystrophy -- Neuropathies -- Huntington's disease -- Cerebral neoplasms -- Sequelae of traumatic brain injury -- Section IV. Ethical Issues -- Consent and decision-making -- Advance directives -- Proxy decision-making -- Ethical issues in states of disordered consciousness -- Terminal sedation -- Euthanasia -- Section V. Appendices.
- Pediatric palliative care 2012, Springer
- Peripheral nerve stimulation. [3rd ed.]. 2011, KargerHistory of peripheral nerve stimulation / Slavin, K.V. -- Central Mechanisms of Peripheral nerve stimulation in headache disorders / Bartsch, T., Goadsby, P.J. -- Peripheral nerve stimulation for chronic neurogenic Pain / Al-Jehani, H., Jacques, L. -- Percutaneous peripheral nerve stimulation / Al, K.M., Abramova, M.V., Richter, E.O. -- Peripheral nerve stimulation for the treatment of truncal pain / Cairns, K.D., McRoberts W.P., Deer, T. -- Peripheral subcutaneous stimulation for intractable abdominal pain / Barolat, G. -- Subcutaneous occipital region stimulation for intractable headache syndromes / Weiner, R.L. -- Peripheral nerve stimulation for occipital neuralgia: surgical leads / Kapural, L., Sable, J. -- Occipital nerve stimulation: technical and surgical aspects of implantation / Trentman, T.L., Zimmerman, R.S., Dodick, D.W. -- Peripheral neuromodulation for migraine headache / Ellens, D.J., Levy, R.M. -- Occipital neuromodulation for refractory headache in the chiari malformation population / Vadivelu, S., Bolognese, P., Milhorat, T.H., Mogilner, A.Y. -- Peripheral nerve stimulation in chronic custer headache / Magis, D., Schoenen, J. -- Peripheral nerve stimulation for fibromyalgia / Plazier, M. ... [et al.] -- Hybrid neurostimulator : simultaneous use of spinal cord and peripheral nerve field stimulation to treat low back and leg pain / Lipov, E.G. -- Stimulation of the peripheral nervous system for the painful extremity / McRoberts, W.P., Cairns, K.D., Deer, T. -- Sphenopalatine ganglion interventions: technical aspects and application / Oluigbo, C.O. ... [et al.] -- Spinal nerve root stimulation / Kellner, C.P., Kellner, M.A., Winfree, C.J. -- Technical aspects of peripheral nerve stimulation: hardware and complications / Slavin, K.V. -- Peripheral nerve stimulation: definition / Abejcentn, D., Perez-Cajaraville, J. -- The future of peripheral nerve stimulation / Stanton-Hicks, M. ... [et al.].
- Practical guide to palliative care 2007, OvidSection 1. The palliative care approach -- Section 2. Cultural diversity in end-of-life care -- Section 3. Approach to the patient -- Section 4. Predicting life expectancy -- Section 5. Delivery of palliative care -- Section 6. Terminal care -- Section 7. Nonpain symptom management -- Section 8. Pain control -- Section 9. Palliative interventions -- Section 10. The palliative pediatric patient -- Section 11. Charting -- Section 12. Ethics at the end of life.
- Radiology of non-spinal pain procedures 2011, SpringerIntroduction to radiology -- Head and neck -- Thorax -- Abdomen -- Pelvis -- Extremities: general overview -- Upper extremity -- Lower extremity.
- Relieving pain in America 2011, NAP1. Introduction -- 2. Pain as a Public Health Challenge -- 3. Care of People with Pain -- 4. Education Challenges -- 5. Research Challenges -- 6. A Blueprint for Transforming Pain Prevention, Care, Education, and Research -- Glossary -- A. Data Sources and Methods -- B. Summary of Written Public Testimony -- C. The Economic Costs of Pain in the United States -- D. Committee and Staff Biographies.
- Sodium channels, pain and analgesia 2005, Springer
- Synaptic plasticity in pain 2009, Springer
- Textbook of palliative nursing. 2nd ed. 2006, MyiLibraryGeneral principles -- Symptom assessment and management -- Psychosocial support -- Spiritual care -- Special patient populations -- End-of-life care across settings -- Pediatric palliative care -- Special issues for the nurse in end-of-life care -- Models of excellence and innovative community projects -- "A good death."
- Translational pain research 2010, CRCnetBASEPainful multi-symptom disorders : a systems perspective / C. Richard Chapman -- Neurotrophic factors and nociceptor sensitization / Michael P. Jankowski and H. Richard Koerber -- The role of visceral afferents in disease / Julie A. Christianson and Brian M. Davis -- Cancer pain : from the development of mouse models to human clinical trials / Juan Miguel Jimenez Andrade and Patrick Mantyh -- Therapeutic targeting of peripheral cannabinoid receptors in inflammatory and neuropathic pain states / Igor Spigelman -- Molecular strategies for therapeutic targeting of primary sensory neurons in chronic pain syndromes / Ichiro Nishimura ... [et al.] -- Transgenic mouse models for the tracing of "pain" pathways / Allan I. Basbaum and João M. Bráz -- Cytokines in pain / Veronica I. Shubayev, Kinshi Kato, and Robert R. Myers -- Glial modulation in pain states : translation into humans / Ryan J. Horvath, Edgar Alfonso Romero-Sandoval, and Joyce A. De Leo -- On the role of ATP-gated P2X receptors in acute, inflammatory, and neuropathic pain / Estelle Toulme ... [et al.] -- Myalgia and fatigue : translation from mouse sensory neurons to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndromes / Alan R. Light, Charles J. Vierck, and Kathleen C. Light -- Reflex autonomic responses evoked by group III and IV muscle afferents / Jennifer L. McCord and Marc P. Kaufman -- Central pain as a thalamocortical dysrhythmia : a thalamic efference disconnection? / Kerry D. Walton and Rodolfo R. Llinás -- What can neuroimaging tell us about central pain? / D.S. Veldhuijzen ... [et al.] -- Human brain imaging studies of chronic pain : translational opportunities / A. Vania Apkarian -- Consideration of pharmacokinetic pharmacodynamic relationships in the discovery of new pain drugs / Garth T. Whiteside and Jeffrey D. Kennedy -- Large animal models for pain therapeutic development / Darrell A. Henze and Mark O. Urban -- Drug discovery and development for pain / Sandra R. Chaplan, William A. Eckert III, and Nicholas I. Carruthers.
- Turning up the heat on pain 2005, Springer
- When children die 2003, NAP
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
Shortcut for iPhone
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
Can't find it?
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Editor: Jianfang, Zhang
Translated & Donated by Muoi Arnold and Keith Arnold former Stanford faculty