Books by Subject
- 2016 hunger report : the nourshing effect : ending hunger, improving health, reducing inequality. — European nutrition and health report 2009 (106)
- European polysaccharide network of excellence (EPNOE) : research initiatives and results — Issues in complementary feeding (106)
- Lactic acid bacteria : microbiological and functional aspects. 4th ed. — Nutritional applications in exercise and sport (106)
- Nutritional assessment of athletes — Yeasts in food and beverages (103)
- 2012 CRCnetBASELahtinen, Sampo; Ouwehand, Arthur; Salminen, Seppo; Wright, Atte von."Updated with the substantial progress made in lactic acid and bacteria research since the third edition, this fourth volume discusses improved insights in genetics and new molecular biological techniques. Thoroughly reorganized, this book incorporates the recent changes in new molecular techniques and the mechanistic understanding of probiotic functionality. The book remains firmly grounded in the basics of lactic acid bacteria; their genetics and taxonomy, their application in food and feed preparation, their health properties, and the legal issues associated with their use"--Provided by publisher.
- 2007 SpringerMcNeil, David L.; Stevenson, Philip C.; Yadav, S. S.
- 2013 KargerLoon, Luc J. C. van; Meeusen, Romain.Caffeine, exercise, and the brain / R. Meeusen, B. Roelands, L.L. Spriet -- Limits to human endurance : carnitine and fat oxidation / F.B. Stephens, S.D.R. Galloway -- Hydration during intense exercise training / R.J. Maughan, N.L. Meyer -- Intense exercise training and immune function / M. Gleeson, C. Williams -- Physiological and performance adaptations to high-intensity interval training / M.J. Gibala, A.M. Jones -- Effect of beta-alanine supplementation on high-intensity exercise performance / R.C. Harris, T. Stellingwerff -- Dietary protein for muscle hypertrophy / K.D. Tipton, S.M. Phillips -- The role of amino acids in skeletal muscle adaptation to exercise / N. Aguirre, L.J.C. van Loon, K. Baar -- National nutritional programs for the 2012 London Olympic Games : a systematic approach by three different countries / L.M. Burke, N. Meyer, J. Pearce.
- 2008 SpringerQuinn, Peter J.; Wang, Xiaoyuan.Offers an account of the properties of the classes of lipids that are located in the membranes of various cells. This title presents a balanced perspective of what is known about the function of these lipids in healthy cells and tissues and what consequences follow malfunctions in their synthesis and metabolism.
- 2006 KargerGalli, Claudio; Heinrich, Michael; Müller, Walter E.Ethnobotany -- 'Local food-nutraceuticals': bridging the gap between local knowledge and global needs / Heinrich, M. ... [et al.] -- Gathered Mediterranean food plants: ethnobotanical investigations and historical development / Rivera, D. ... [et al.] -- Disseminating knowledge about 'local food plants' and 'local plant foods' / Rivera, D. ... [et al.] -- Biological activities of 'local foods' -- Plant foods and brain aging: a critical appraisal / Schaffer, S. ... [et al.] -- Local food and cardioprotection: the role of phytochemicals / Visioli, F. ... [et al.] -- A vegetable to meat consumption ratio as a relevant factor determining cancer preventive diet. The Mediterranean versus other European countries / Kapiszewska, M. -- Mediterranean diet as a nutrition education and dietary guide: misconceptions and the neglected role of locally consumed foods and wild green plants / Manios, Y. ... [et al.] -- Development of bioactive substances for functional foods: scientific and other aspects / Weber, P., Flühmann, B., Eggersdorfer, M.
- 2015 KargerEmbleton, Nicholas D.; Katz, Joanne; Ziegler, Ekhard E.
- 2013 SpringerPreedy, Victor R.; Watson, Ronald R.; Zibadi, Sherma.Magnesium is an essential mineral which is required for growth and survival of humans. Since magnesium is a mineral and not synthesizable it must be obtained through dietary foods and/or supplements. Magnesium in Human Health and Disease reviews the benefits of magnesium supplementation to reach recommended intakes as well as provides new research that suggests how reaching levels above the recommended intakes can promote health and treat various diseases. Magnesium deficiency can cause low serum potassium and calcium levels, retention of sodium, and low circulating levels of regulatory hormones. These changes in nutrients cause neurological and muscular symptoms such as tremor and muscle spasms. Further magnesium deficiency causes loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, personality changes and death from heart failure. Causes of magnesium deficiency include alcohol abuse, poorly controlled diabetes, excessive or chronic vomiting and/or diarrhea. Thus the effects of inadequate and deficient intakes or levels of magnesium is critical to health and are reviewed by the expert clinicians in this book. Magnesium in Human Health and Disease provides the most current research to support the potential benefits or lack thereof for normal and high supplementation with magnesium. Animal model research and early human trials are reviewed to document other disease states such as hypertension, cholesterol level, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease that would benefit from increased magnesium.
- 2005 SpringerGoldstein, David J.Bulimia nervosa / Steven J. Romano -- Counseling patients with bulimia nervosa / Tricia Cook Myers and James E. Mitchell -- Pharmacologic therapy of bulimia nervosa / James I. Hudson, Harrison G. Pope, Jr., and William P. Carter -- Prevention of eating disorders: a nutritional perspective / Cheryl L. Rock -- Anorexia nervosa / Steven J. Romano -- Treatment of anorexia nervosa / L.K. George Hsu -- Pharmacological therapy for anorexia nervosa / Walter H. Kaye -- The Internet and eating disorders / David J. Goldstein -- Etiologies of obesity / Richard L. Atkinson -- Medical consequences of obesity and benefits of weight loss / Lalita Khaodhiar and George L. Blackburn -- Obese patients with binge-eating disorder / Marsha D. Marcus and Michele D. Levine -- Overview and the future of obesity treatment / Lisa Terre, Walker S.C. Poston II, and John P. Foreyt -- The role of physical activity, exercise, and nutrition in the treatment of obesity / Edward T. Mannix ... [et al.]. Lifestyle modification in the treatment of obesity / Anthony N. Fabricatore and Thomas A. Wadden -- Very low-calorie diets / Stephen D. Phinney -- Pharmacotherapy of obesity / George A. Bray -- Combination therapies for obesity / Richard L. Atkinson and Gabriel Uwaifo -- Genetics and potential treatments for obesity / José R. Fernández and David J. Goldstein -- The role of hunger and satiety in weight management / Michael Penn and David J. Goldstein -- Surgical interventions for the management of obesity / Scott A. Shikora, David Smith, and Julie J. Kim -- Clinical experience in a comprehensive weight-management center / Judy Loper and Richard A. Lutes -- The multidisciplinary team in the management of obesity / Patrick Mahlen O'Neil and Sherry Rieder -- The Internet and obesity treatment / David J. Goldstein -- Barriers to treatment / Arthur Frank -- Prevention of obesity / Barbara C. Hansen.
- 2011 SpringerFerry, Robert J.The twin epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) continue to affect an ever increasing number of children, adolescents, and young adults. Management of Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes provides healthcare trainees and professionals with practical, comprehensive, and contemporary approaches to the pediatric patient at risk for obesity, T2DM, and related conditions. A unique guide on the subject, this volume provides clinical paradigms for diagnosis and management of pediatric T2DM and related conditions, while succinctly describing state-of-the-art basic and clinical sciences underlying these problems. The chapters in this volume are independent and concise. Each chapter focuses on a key clinical issue or mechanism of disease. Providing practical, data-driven resources based upon the totality of the evidence, this important text helps the reader understand the basics of pediatric obesity and T2DM and implement strategies to prevent and treat obesity and diabetes in children and adolescents. Management of Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes provides health professionals across many areas of research and practice with up-to-date, well-referenced, and comprehensive evidence on identification, treatment, and prevention of these chronic, serious, metabolic diseases in children. This volume will serve the reader as the most authoritative resource in the field to date.
- 2015Alpers, David H.; Bier, Dennis M.; Klein, Samuel; Taylor, Beth E.Status: Not Checked OutLane Catalog Record
- 2012 KargerKraemer, Klaus; McLaren, Donald Stewart."Vitamin A plays a key role among the vitamins essential for healthy growth and development. Vitamin A deficiency disorders (VADD) are therefore an important part of general malnutrition that in the majority of cases leads to failure to thrive and underweight. Moreover, apart from adverse effects on health and survival in general, VADD can also lead to blindness, called xerophthalmia, and are also frequently accompanied by various infections. Last but not least, it has become evident that even mild degrees of VAD (and all other forms of nutritional deficiencies) have important adverse implications for health and are thus much more widespread than previously assumed. This publication systematically covers detailed and up-to-date information on every relevant aspect of VADD, with particular emphasis on providing an outline of their setting, nature, and significance. In addition to cutting-edge scientific information, the latest available data on the global occurrence of VAD from the World Health Organization is also included."--Publisher website.
- 2008 CRCnetBASEBarrow, Colin J.; Shahidi, Fereidoon.Marine fisheries by-products as potential nutraceuticals: an overview / Se-Kwon Kim, Eresha Mendis, and Fereidoon Shahidi -- Omega-3 oils: sources, applications, and health effects / Fereidoon Shahidi -- Omega-3s and their impact on brain health / Genevieve Young and Julie Conquer -- Omega-3 fatty acids in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases through anti-inflammation and neuroprotection: a review of studies in animal models / Cai Song -- Microencapsulation of marine lipids as a vehicle for functional food delivery / Yulai Jin ... [et al.] -- Chitin and chitosan / Rosalee S. Rasmussen and Michael T. Morrissey -- Production of bioactive chitosan oligosaccharides and their potential use as nutraceuticals / Se-Kwon Kim, Niranjan Rajapakse, and Fereidoon Shahidi -- Glucosamine production and health benefits / Jaroslav A. Kralovec and Colin J. Barrow -- Functional and bioactive peptides from hydrolyzed aquatic food proteins / Hordur G. Kristinsson -- Marine-derived protein hydrolysates, their biological activities and potential as functional food ingredients: ace-inhibitory peptides derived from bonito / Hiroyuki Fujita and Masashi Yoshikawa -- Marine algal constituents / Yvonne V. Yuan -- Beneficial health effects of seaweed carotenoid, fucoxanthin / Kazuo Miyashita and Masashi Hosokawa -- The production and health benefits of astaxanthin / Miguel Olaizola -- Marine algae and polysaccharides with therapeutic applications / J. Helen Fitton, Mohammad R. Irhimeh, and Jane Teas -- Nutraceuticals and functional foods from marine microbes: an introduction to a diverse group of natural products isolated from marine macroalgae, microalgae, bacteria, fungi, and cyanobacteria / Adam M. Burja and Helia Radianingtyas -- Shark cartilage: potential for therapeutic application for cancer--review article / Kenji Sato ... [et al.] -- Calcium from fish bone and other marine resources / Won-Kyo Jung, Fereidoon Shahidi, and Se-Kwon Kim -- Immunoenhancing preparations of marine origin / Jaroslav A. Kralovec and Colin J. Barrow.
- 2013 KargerBhatia, Jatinder; Bhutta, Zulfiqar Ahmed; Kalhan, Satish C.Growth and nutrition during the fetal period and the first 24 months after birth are important determinants of development in early childhood. Optimal nutrition and health care of both the mother and infant during these first 1000 days of an infant's life are closely linked to growth, learning potential and neurodevelopment, in turn affecting long-term outcomes. Children with low birth weight do not only include premature babies, but also those with intrauterine growth restrictions who consequently have a very high risk of developing metabolic syndrome in the future. Epidemiology, epigenetic programming, the correct nutrition strategy and monitoring of outcomes are thus looked at carefully in this book. More specifically, two important nutritional issues are dealt with in depth: The first being the prevention of low birth weight, starting with the health of adolescent girls, through the pre-pregnancy and pregnancy stages and ending with lactation. The second point of focus concerns the nutritional follow-up and feeding opportunities in relation to dietary requirements of children with low birth weight.
- 2001 CRCnetBASEMatalas, Antonia-Leda.
- 2012 SpringerZacharias, Eric.Part 1. The Basics of a Mediterranean Diet -- Introduction -- History, Composition, Adherence Scores -- Part 2. Effects on Diseases -- Mechanisms of Action and Effects on Diseases -- Cardiovascular Diseases -- Alzheimer's Disease -- Cancer -- Arthritis, Allergies, and Immunologic Disorders -- Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome -- Part 3. Weight Loss and Obesity -- Weight, Obesity -- Part 4. Macronutrients -- Macronutrients in an Adherence Score: Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats, and Alcohol -- Fats and Oils -- Carbohydrates -- Proteins -- Alcohol -- Part 5. Adopting a Mediterranean Diet -- Goal Is Success in Adoption -- Meal Plans -- Shopping List, Keep On Hand -- Resources -- Recipes.
- 2014 CRCnetBASEAnderson, John J. B.; Sparling, Marilyn C.Section 1. Mediterranean dietary patterns -- section 2. Protective health effects of the Mediterranean-style dietary pattern -- section 3. Eating the Mediterranean way.
- 2012 KargerBhutta, Zulfiqar Ahmed; Hurrell, Richard; Rosenberg, Irwin H.Global micronutrient deficiencies in childhood and impact on growth and survival : challenges and opportunities / Imdad, A.; Bhutta, Z.A. -- Micronutrients in the treatment of stunting and moderate malnutrition / Penny, M.E. -- Zinc requirements : assessment and population needs / Hambidge, K.M.; Miller, L.V.; Krebs, N.F. -- Role of zinc in child health and survival / Black, R.E.; Fischer Walker, C. -- Global burden and significance of multiple micronutrient deficiencies in pregnancy / Darnton-Hill, I. -- Intervention strategies to address multiple micronutrient deficiencies in pregnancy and early childhood / Imdad, A.; Bhutta, Z.A. -- Vitamin A supplementation, infectious disease and child mortality : a summary of the evidence / Thorne-Lyman, A.; Fawzi, W.W. -- Issues and controversies with vitamin A in childhood / Murgu¡a Peniche, M.T. -- Influence of inflammatory disorders and infection on iron absorption and efficacy of iron-fortified foods / Hurrell, R.F. -- Safety of iron fortification and supplementation in malaria-endemic areas / Brittenham, G.M. -- Are weaning infants at risk of iodine deficiency even in countries with established iodized salt Programs? / Zimmermann, M.B. -- Current challenges in meeting global iodine requirements / Eastman, C.J.; Jooste, P. -- Folate and vitamin B12 : function and importance in cognitive development / Troen, A.M. -- Pros and cons of increasing folic acid and vitamin B12 intake by fortification / Allen, L.H. -- Concluding remarks.
- 2012 CRCnetBASEWatson, Ronald R."This new edition presents information on how melatonin is synthesized and produced in the body as well as how this hormone affects several diseases. The book heavily focuses on prevention as well as treatment of various human disease states including behavior disorders, mental disorders, breast cancer, bone health, and gastrointestinal diseases. It covers the role of melatonin in the prevention of oxidative stress, mutagenesis, sun damage, ocular health, gut motility, and detoxification. It also presents mechanisms of melatonin action in humans including cell modulation, signaling mechanisms, protective effects, and melatonin receptors as well as its role as an antioxidant"--Provided by publisher.
- 2015 SpringerFerrazzi, Enrico; Sears, Barry.Part I. Truncal obesity, inflammation, metabolic syndrome: an insight -- Part II. Inflammation and physiology of pregnancy -- Part III. The potential value of nutrition and nutriceutical supplementation to prevent obstetrical complications -- Part IV. Future dietary strategies to reduce inflammation and metabolic syndrome by an healthy eating plate.
- 2002 CRCnetBASEHurst, W. Jeffrey.
- 2008 CRCnetBASEHurst, W. Jeffrey.Phytoestrogens / B. Dave Oomah and Farah S. Hosseinian -- Analysis of fatty acids in functional foods with emphasis on [omega] 3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid / Gary Dobson -- Analysis of flavonoids in functional foods and nutraceuticals / Laura Bravo and Raquel Mateos -- Exploitation of residues from vineyards, olive groves, and wine and oil production to obtain phenolic compounds of high-added value / María D. Luque de Castro, José M. Luque-Rodríguez, and Rafael Japón-Luján -- Anthocyanins / Gary Takeoka and Lan Dao -- Carotenoids and provitamin A in functional foods / María Isabel Mí́nguez-Mosquera, Dámaso Hornero-Méndez, and Antonio Pérez-Gálvez -- Chlorophylls / María Isabel Mí́nguez-Mosquera ... [et al.] -- Water-soluble vitamins / Míguel Ángel Fernández-Muiño, María Teresa Sancho-Ortiz, and Felicidad Valls-García -- Amino acid analysis / Larry R. Massom -- Carbohydrates and other electrochemically active compounds in functional foods / William R. LaCourse.
- 2005 CRCnetBASEÖtles, Semih.
- 2003 CRCnetBASEJuneja, Vijay K.; Yousef, Ahmed Elmeleigy.
- 2002 CRCnetBASEBrown, Martyn; Stringer, Michael.
- 2003 KargerDelange, F.; West, Keith P.
- 2011 KargerClemens, Roger A.; Hernell, Olle; Michaelsen, Kim Fleischer.The role of milk during the life cycle - a global view
- 2007 CRCnetBASENriagu, Jerome O.; Szefer, Piotr.Mineral components in food: analytical implications / M. Biziuk, J. Kuczynska -- Speciation of mineral components in food: analytical implications / A. Polatajko, J. Szpunar -- Criteria of evaluation of food trace analysis data / B. Szteke -- Chemometric techniques in analytical evaluation of food / P. Szefer -- Functional role of some minerals in foods / M. Nabrzyski -- Mineral components and their species in foods of animal origin and honeys / P. Szefer, M. Grembecka -- Mineral components and their species in plant foods, beverages, luxury food, spices and dietary food / P. Szefer, M. Grembecka -- Trace elements in wines / S. Galani-Nikolakaki, N. Kallithrakas-Kontos -- Heavy metals in food packagings / M. E. Conti -- Pollutants in food: metals and metalloids / C. Reilly -- Pollutants in food: radionuclides / Z. Oul-Dada -- Assessment of exposure to chemical pollutants in food and water / P.J. Peterson -- Metal contamination of dietary supplements / M.J. Slotnick, J.O. Nriagu.
- 2010 SpringerMeester, Fabien De; Watson, Ronald R.; Zibadi, Sherma.Western diet and behavior: the Columbus concept -- The social context of dietary behaviors: the role of social relationships and support on dietary fat and fiber intake -- Social class, food intakes and risk of coronary artery disease in the developing world: the Asian paradox -- Social, cultural, economical, and practical factors -- Partially hydrogenated fats in the US diet and their role in disease -- Fatty acid ratios in free-living and domestic animals -- Is saturated fat bad? -- Alteration of human body composition and tumorigenesis by isomers of conjugated linoleic acid -- Insulin resistance and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease induced by conjugated linoleic acid in humans -- Dietary fat intake: promotion of disease in carotid artery disease: lipid lowering versus side effects of statins -- Recent cholesterol-lowering drug trials: new data, new questions -- Leptin and obesity: role in cardiac structure and dysfunction -- Cardiac structural and functional changes in genetically modified models of obesity -- Fat-modified dairy products and blood lipids in humans -- Modified milk fat reduces plasma triacylglycerol concentrations: health and disease effects -- Dietary supplements, cholesterol and cardiovascular disease -- Ill health effects of food lipids: consequences of inadequate food processing, storage and cooking -- Mycotoxins in human diet: a hidden danger -- Nutrition-toxicological dilemma on fish consumption -- Anthropogenic and naturally produced contaminants in fish oil: role in ill health -- Do modern Western diets play a role in myalgic encephalomyelitis? -- The role of modern Western diets in Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder -- The role of dietary rat in insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes -- Strategies to modify school-based foods to lower obesity and disease risk -- Selenium enigma: health implications of an inadequate supply -- Homocysteine: role in cardiovascular disease -- Dietary plant extracts to modify effects of high fat modern diets in health promotion -- Don't diet: adverse effects of the weight centered health paradigm -- Physical activity in diet-induced disease causation and prevention in women and men.
- 2006 OvidShike, Moshe; Shils, Maurice E.Alimentary tract in nutrition / Samuel Klein, Steven M. Cohn, and David H. Alpers -- Assessment of malabsorption / Darlene G. Kelly -- Nutrition and dental medicine / Dominick P. DePaola ... [et al.] -- The esophagus and stomach / William F. Stenson -- Intestinal disaccharidase depletions / Steven R. Hertzler ... [et al.] -- Short bowel syndrome / Khursheed N. Jeejeebhoy -- Inflammatory bowel disease / Anne M. Griffiths -- Celiac disease / J. Joseph Connon -- Nutrition in pancreatic disorders / Massimo Raimondo and James S. Scolapio -- Nutrition in liver disorders and the role of alcohol / Charles S. Lieber -- Molecular basis of carcinogenesis / Dana Rathkopf and Gary K. Schwartz -- Diet and cancer risk / Walter C. Willett and Edward Giovannucci -- Chemoprevention of cancer / Michael B. Sporn -- Nutrition support of the patient with cancer / Mark Schattner and Moshe Shike -- Bone biology in health and disease / Robert P. Heaney -- Nutrition and diet in rheumatic diseases / Sarah L. Morgan -- Osteoporosis / Bess Dawson-Hughes -- Behavorial disorders affecting food intake: eating disorders and other psychiatric conditions / Janelle W. Coughlin and Angela S. Guarda -- Nutritional disorders of the nervous system / Gustavo C. Román -- The hypercatabolic state / Stephen F. Lowry and J. Martin Perez -- Nutrition and infection / Richard D. Semba -- Nutrition in the care of the patient with surgery, trauma, and sepsis / Kenneth A. Kudsk and Gordon S. Sacks -- Evolution of knowledge of essential nutrients / Kenneth J. Carpenter and Alfred E. Harper -- Human energy metabolism / John M. Kinney -- Management of infantile diarrhea and dehydration / Samuel J. Fomon -- Proteins and amino acids / Dwight E. Matthews -- Carbohydrates / Nancy L. Keim, Roy L. Levin, and Peter J. Havel -- Dietary fiber / Joanne R. Lupton and Paula R. Trumbo -- Lipids / Peter J.H. Jones and Stanley Kubow -- Cholesterol and other dietary sterols / David Kritchevsky -- Energy needs: assessment and requirements / Nancy F. Butte and Benjamin Caballero -- Electrolytes, water, and acid-base balance / Man S. Oh and Jaime Uribarri -- Calcium / Connie M. Weaver and Robert P. Heaney -- Phosphorus / James P. Knochel -- Magnesium / Robert K. Rude and Maurice E. Shils -- Iron / Richard J. Wood and Alayne G. Ronnenberg -- Zinc / Robert J. Cousins and Janet C. King and Robert J. Cousins -- Copper / Judith R. Turnlund -- Iodine / John T. Dunn -- Selenium / Raymond F. Burk and Orville A. Levander -- Manganese / Alan L. Buchman -- Chromium / Barbara J. Stoecker -- Other trace elements and ultratrace minerals / Curtis D. Eckhert -- Vitamin A and carotenoids / A. Catharine Ross -- Vitamin D / Michael F. Holick -- Vitamin E / Maret G. Traber -- Vitamin K / John W. Suttie -- Thiamin / Roger F. Butterworth -- Riboflavin / Donald B. McCormick -- Niacin / Christelle Bourgeois, Daniel Cervantes-Laurean, and Joel Moss -- Nutrition, diet, and the kidney / Joel D. Kopple -- Food allergies and intolerances / Steve L. Taylor and Susan L. Hefle -- Nutrition in the older person / John E. Morley -- Drug-nutrient interactions / Lingtak-Neander Chan -- Enteral feeding / Moshe Shike -- Parenteral feeding / Rex O. Brown and Gayle Minard -- Chronic disease management: the team approach / Maurice E. Shils, Abby S. Bloch, and Patricia Brown -- Nutritional and medical ethics: the interplay of medical decisions, patients' rights, and the judicial system / Maurice E. Shils -- Foundations of a healthy diet / Walter C. Willett and Meir J. Stampfer -- Nutritional implications of vegetarian diets / Patricia K. Johnston and Joan Sabaté -- Dietary recommended intakes: rationale and application / Allison A. Yates -- Dietary goals and guidelines: national perspectives / Johanna T. Dwyer -- Nutrition monitoring in the United States / Marie Fanelli Kuczmarski and Robert J. Kuczmarski -- Food-based dietary guidelines for healthier populations: international considerations / Ricardo Uauy, Eva Hertrampf, and Alan D. Dangour -- Nutrition transition: global trends in diet and disease / Benjamin Caballero -- Sports nutrition / Melvin H. Williams -- Social and cultural influences on food consumption and nutritional status / Sara A. Quandt -- Fads, frauds, and quackery / Stephen Barrett -- Alternative nutrition therapies / Stephen Barrett -- Food processing: nutrition, safety, and quality / John W. Finley, Denise M. Deming, and Robert E. Smith -- Designing functional foods / Wayne R. Bidlack and Wei Wang -- Food additives, contaminants, and natural toxicants and their risk assessments / Steve L. Taylor -- Nutrition labeling of foods and dietary supplements / Kenneth D. Fisher, Elizabeth A. Yetley, and Christine L. Taylor -- Nutritional aspects of hematologic diseases / Christopher R. Chitambar and Aok C. Antony -- Nutrition, respiratory function, and disease / Bruce Suckling, Margaret M. Johnson, and Robert Chin, Jr. Pregnancy / R. Elaine Turner -- Lactation / Mary Frances Picciano and Sharon S. McDonald -- Infancy and childhood / William C. Heird -- Adolescence / Margarita S. Treuth and Ian Griffin -- Adulthood / Douglas C. Heimburger -- The elderly / Connie Watkins Bales and Christine Seel Ritchie -- Malnutrition among children in the united states: the impact of poverty / Robert Karp -- Pediatric feeding problems / Richard Katz, Ramasamy Manikam, and Linda Schuberth -- Protein-energy malnutrition / Benjamin Torún -- Inherited metabolic disease: amino acids, organic acids, and galactose / Louis J. Elsas, II, and Phyllis B. Acosta -- Inherited metabolic disease: defects of ?-oxidation / Jerry Vockley and Deborah L. Renaud -- Childhood obesity / William H. Dietz -- Nutritional management of infants and children with specific diseases or other conditions / Arthur Cooper and William C. Heird -- Metabolic syndrome: definition, relationship to insulin resistance, and clinical utility / Gerald M. Reaven -- Obesity: etiology / James O. Hill, Victoria A. Catenacci, and Holly R. Wyatt -- Obesity: management / Thomas A. Wadden, Kirstin J. Byrne, and Stephanie Krauthamer-Ewing -- Diabetes mellitus / James W. Anderson -- Nutrient and genetic regulation of lipoprotein: metabolism / Margo A. Denke -- Nutrition in the management of disorders of serum lipids and lipoproteins / Scott M. Grundy -- Nutrition, diet, and hypertension / Theodore A. Kotchen and Jane Morley Kotchen -- Congestive heart failure / John R. Hoyle and Frederic R. Kahl -- Vitamin B6 / Amy D. Mackey, Steven R. Davis, and Jesse F. Gregory, III -- Pantothenic acid / Paula R. Trumbo -- Folic acid / Ralph Carmel -- Cobalamin (vitamin B12) / Ralph Carmel -- Biotin / Donald M. Mock -- Vitamin C / Mark Levine, Arie Katz, and Sebastian J. Padayatty -- Choline and phosphatidylcholine / Steven H. Zeisel and Mihai D. Niculescu -- Carnitine / Charles J. Rebouche -- Homocysteine, cysteine, and taurine / Martha H. Stipanuk -- Glutamine / Alan L. Buchman -- Arginine and nitric oxide / Benjamin M. Chionglo Sy, Erin E. Dweik, and Raed A. Dweik -- Phytochemicals / Ronald L. Prior -- Clinical manifestations of nutrient deficiencies / Douglas C. Heimburger, Donald S. McLaren, and Maurice E. Shils -- Nutrient regulation of gene expression and nutritional genomics / Robert J. Cousins -- Polymorphisms: effect on nutrient utilization and metabolism / Patrick J. Stover and Cutberto Garza -- Hormones and growth factors / Irwin J. Brodsky -- Cytokines and eicosanoids / Joseph G. Cannon -- Nutrition and the immune system / Gabriel Fernandes, Christopher A. Jolly, and Richard A. Lawrence -- Oxidant defense in oxidative and nitrosative stress / James A. Thomas -- The chemical senses and nutrition / Richard D. Mattes -- Controls of food intake / Gerard P. Smith -- Physical activity, fitness, and health / Gary R. Hunter -- Metabolic consequences of starvation / L. John Hoffer -- Body composition and anthropometry / Steven B. Heymsfield and Richard Baumgartner --Also available: Print – 2006
- 2014 OvidRoss, A. Catharine.Part I. Specific Dietary Components -- A. Major dietary constituents -- B. Minerals -- C. Vitamins -- D. Other compounds with health relevance -- Part II. Nutritional Roles in Integrated Biological Systems -- A. Nutrient-gene mechanisms -- B. Digestive, endocrine, immune, and neural mechanisms -- Part III. Nutritional Needs and Assessment During the Life Cycle and Physiologic Changes -- Part IV. Prevention and Management of Disease -- A. Obesity and diabetes -- B. Cardiovascular diseases -- C. Pediatric and adolescent disorders -- D. Disorders of the alimentary tract -- E. Nutritional management during cancer -- F. Skeletal and joint disorders -- G. Nutrition in surgery and trauma -- H. Behavioral, psychiatric, and neurologic disorders -- I. Other systemic disorders -- J. Food additives, hazards, and nutrient-drug interactions -- Part V. Nutrition of Populations -- A. Nutrition in a changing world.
- 2006 CRCnetBASEGunstone, F. D.pt. 1. Understanding food lipid structure and composition -- pt. 2. Modifying lipids for use in food -- pt. 3. Applications of modified lipids in food.
- 2003 CRCnetBASESanders, Tom; Emery, Peter.
- 2015 SpringerPrager, Gerhard; Widhalm, Kurt.As the worldwide prevalence of morbid obesity among adolescents continues to rise, recent years have seen a large increase in the performance of adolescent bariatric surgery. While surgical intervention often becomes necessary when conservative weight-loss therapies have failed, no standards regarding the post-operative regimen and long-term management of adolescent patients have been established. Thus, the treatment of obesity and its co-morbidities requires a multidisciplinary approach, taking into account epidemiological, clinical, nutritional, and genetic aspects of morbid obesity in the pediatric age group. This volume discusses both conventional therapy and surgical options for morbid obesity in the pediatric age group. In the first part, obesity-related diseases, genetics, and psychological factors are analyzed. The second part focuses on current bariatric surgery procedures, including dietary restrictions and guidelines to prevent nutritional deficiencies common after surgery. Therefore, the book will prove an invaluable resource for pediatricians, surgeons, nutritionists, dieticians, and all other health professionals who treat adolescent obesity.
- 2007 KargerSimopoulos, Artemis P.; Visioli, F.Modified Cretan Mediterranean diet in the prevention of coronary heart disease and cancer: an update / de Lorgeril, M., Salen, P. -- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase as a mediator of the positive health effects of Mediterranean diets and wine against metabolic syndrome / Leighton, F., Urquiaga, I. -- Effects of an omega-3-enriched Mediterranean diet (modified diet of Crete) versus a Swedish diet / Friberg, P., Johansson, M. -- Dietary fat intake of European countries in the Mediterranean area: an update / Marangoni, F., Martiello, A., Galli, C. -- The Mediterranean diet in Italy: an update / Rubba, P. ... [et al.] -- A Mediterranean diet is not enough for health: physical fitness is an important additional contributor to health for the adults of tomorrow / Castillo-Garzón, M.J. ... [et al.] -- Mediterranean diet in the Maghreb: an update / Zeghichi-Hamri, S., Kallithraka, S. -- Antioxidants in the Mediterranean diets: an update / Bogani, P., Visioli, F. -- Olive oil / Boskou, D. -- Melatonin in edible plants (phytomelatonin): identification, concentrations, bioavailability and proposed functions / Reiter, R.J. ... [et al.].
- 2015 SpringerDonini, Lorenzo Maria; Lenzi, Andrea; Migliaccio, Silvia.This book describes in detail the multidisciplinary management of obesity, providing readers with a thorough understanding of the rationale for a multidisciplinary approach and with the tools required to implement it effectively. The emphasis is on a translational approach, starting from basic concepts and fundamental mechanisms of the pathology and clinical morbidity. Experts in the field discuss the full range of relevant topics, including the significance of physical exercise, psychological issues, nutritional strategies, pharmacological options, and bariatric surgery. Put another way, the book covers all aspects from the bench to the bedside. Physicians, scientists, and postgraduate students will all find it to be invaluable in understanding the causes and optimal management of obesity, which has rapidly become a major public health problem.
- 2005 SpringerOkita, Kiwamu.
- 2015 KargerMimouni, Francis; Van den Anker, John N.Influence of maturation and growth on drug metabolism from fetal to neonatal to adult life / Lindemalm, S.; van den Anker, J.N. -- How to translate pharmacokinetic data into dosing recommendations / Krekels, E.H.J.; Knibbe, C.A.J.; Pokorna, P.; Tibboel, D. -- Pharmacovigilance in neonatal intensive care / Turner, M.A.; Hill, H. -- Neonatal formulations and additives / Allegaert, K.; Turner, M.A.; van den Anker, J.N. -- Modelling and simulation to support neonatal clinical trials / Khalil, F.M.N.; Loër, S. -- A systematic review of paracetamol and closure of patent ductus arteriosus : are we ready for prime time? / Hammerman, C.; Mimouni, F.B.; Bin-Nun, A. -- Formulation of preterm formula : what's in it, and why? / Mimouni, F.B. Aviv; Mandel, D.; Lubetzky, R. -- Neonatal pharmacotherapy : legal and regulatory issues / Bax, R.; Tomasi, P.
- 2016 KargerBaetge, Emmanuel E.; Dhawan, Anil; Prentice, Andrew.
- 2011 SpringerBryan, Nathan S.; Loscalzo, Joseph.
- 2007 CRCnetBASEHenry, C. J. K.pt. 1. Food and obesity: 1. Lipid metabolism : its role in energy regulation and obesity / M. Leonhardt and W. Langhans ; 2. Hunger and satiety : relation to body weight control / H.F.J. Hendriks ... [et al.] ; 3. Glycaemic control, insulin resistance and obesity / I. Aeberli and M. Zimmermann ; 4. Controlling lipogenesis and thermogenesis and the use of ergogenic aids for weight control / A. Palou and M. L. Bonet ; 5. Food ingredients implicated in obesity : sugars and sweeteners / G. H. Anderson, T. Akhavan and R. Mendelson -- pt. 2. Ingredients from grains, fruits and vegetables for weight control: 6. b-Glucans / J.-A. Nazare ... [et al.] ; 7. Non-digestible oligosaccharides / N.M. Delzenne ... [et al.] ; 8. Resistant starch / A.M. Birkett and I.L. Brown ; 9. Modified carbohydrates with lower glycemic index / B.R. Hamaker, G. Zhang and M. Venkatachalam ; 10. Novel ingredients for weight loss: new developments / J.D. Stowell -- pt. 3. Dairy ingredients and lipids for weight control: 11. Dietary and supplemental calcium and its role in weight loss: weighing the evidence / G. Gerstner and M. de Vrese ; 12. Conjugated fatty acids, body composition and weight control / J.L. Sebedio ; 13. Omega-3 fatty acids and other polyunsaturated fatty acids and weight control / M. Sr_hede Winzell and B. Ahrn? ; 14. Medium-chain and structured triglycerides : their role in weight control / I. Rudkowska and P. J. H. Jones ; 15. Trans-free oils and fats / E. Flt_er and G. van Duijn.
- 2005 CRCnetBASEBarbosa-Cánovas, Gustavo V.; Cano, M. Pilar; Tapia, Maria S.
- 2006 CRCnetBASEShahidi, Fereidoon.1. Nutraceutical and Specialty Lipids / Fereidoon Shahidi and S.P.J.N. Senanayake -- 2. Medium-Chain Triacylglycerols / Yaakob B. Che Man and Marina Abdul Manaf -- 3. Cereal Grain Oils / Roman Przybylski -- 4. Fruit Seed Oils / Liangli Yu, John W. Parry, and Kequan Zhou -- 5. Minor Specialty Oils / Frank D. Gunstone -- 6. Sphingolipids / Fang Fang, Hang Chen, Chi-Tang Ho, and Robert T. Rosen -- 7. Modification and Purification of Sphingolipids and Gangliosides / Scott Bloomer -- 8. Hydroxy Fatty Acids / Thomas A. McKeon, Charlotta Turner, Xiaohua He, Grace Chen, and Jiann-Tsyh Lin -- 9. Tree Nut Oils and Byproducts: Compositional Characteristics and Nutraceutical Applications / Fereidoon Shahidi and H. Miraliakbari -- 10. Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA) / Yao-wen Huang and Chung-yi Huang -- 11. Diacylglycerols (DAGs) and their Mode of Action / Brent D. Flickinger -- 12. Conjugated Linoleic Acids (CLAs): Food, Nutrition, and Health / Bruce A. Watkins and Yong Li -- 13. Occurrence of Conjugated Fatty Acids in Aquatic and Terrestrial Plants and their Physiological Effects / Bhaskar Narayan, Masashi Hosokawa, and Kazuo Miyashita -- 14. Marine Conjugated Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids / Yasushi Endo, Si-Bum Park, and Kenshiro Fujimoto -- 15. Marine Oils: Compositional Characteristics and Health Effects / Fereidoon Shahidi and H. Miraliakbari -- 16. Single-Cell Oils as Sources of Nutraceutical and Specialty Lipids: Processing Technologies and Applications / S.P.J.N. Senanayake and Jaouad Fichtali -- 17. Emulsions for the Delivery of Nutraceutical Lipids / Karlene S.T. Mootoosingh and Dérick Rousseau -- 18. Lipid Emulsions for Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) Use and as Carriers for Lipid-Soluble Drugs / Hu Liu and Lili Wang -- 19. Modified Oils / Frank D. Gunstone -- 20. Fat Replacers: Mimetics and Substitutes / Barry G. Swanson -- 21. Application of Functional Lipids in Foods / Charlotte Jacobsen, Maike Timm-Heinrich, and Nina Skall Nielsen -- 22. Application of Multistep Reactions with Lipases to the Oil and Fat Industry / Yuji Shimada, Toshihiro Nagao, and Yomi Watanabe -- 23. Structure-Related Effects on Absorption and Metabolism of Nutraceutical and Specialty Lipids / Armand B. Christophe -- 24. Lipid Oxidation in Specialty Oils / Karen Schaich -- 25. Trans Fatty Acids in Specialty Lipids / G.R. List, R.O. Adlof, and J.W. King -- 26. Tocopherols and Tocotrienols as Byproducts of Edible Oil Processing / Vitamin E: A New Perspective Andreas M. Papas -- 27. Plant Sterols and Steryl Esters in Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals / Nikolaus Weber and Kumar D. Mukherjee -- 28. Phospholipids/Lecithin: A Class of Nutraceutical Lipids / Frank T. Orthoefer and G.R. List -- 29. Centrifugal Partition Chromatography (CPC) as a New Tool for Preparative-Scale Purification of Lipid and Related Compounds / Udaya Wanasundara and Paul Fedec -- 30. Oilseed Medicinals: Applications in Drugs and Functional Foods / Robert D. Reichert.
- 2006 CRCnetBASEMine, Yoshinori; Shahidi, Fereidoon.Section I. Nutrient Absorption System -- Chapter 1. Nutraceutical Proteins and Peptides in Health and Disease: An Overview / Yoshinori Mine and Fereidoon Shahidi -- Chapter 2. Calcium Binding Peptides / David D. Kitts -- Chapter 3. Mineral-Binding Proteins and Peptides and Bioavailability of Trace Elements / D. Bouglé and S. Bouhallab -- Chapter 4. Cholesterol-Lowering Proteins and Peptides / Satoshi Nagaoka -- Chapter 5. Heavy-Metal-Binding Proteins / Jennifer Kovacs-Nolan and Yoshinori Mine -- Chapter 6. Tight-Junction-Modulatory Factors in Food / Makoto Shimizu and Akira Mori -- Section II. The Body's Defense System -- Chapter 7. Antimicrobial Peptides / Judy C.K. Chan and Eunice C.Y. Li-Chan -- Chapter 8. Bovine Milk Antibodies for Protection against Microbial Human Diseases / Hannu Korhonen and Pertti Marnila -- Chapter 9. Avian Immunoglobulin Y and Its Application in Human Health and Disease / Jennifer Kovacs-Nolan, Yoshinori Mine, and Hajime Hatta -- Chapter 10. Antiangiogenic Proteins, Peptides, and Amino Acids / Jack N. Losso and Hiba A. Bawadi -- Chapter 11. Relevance of Growth Factors for the Gastrointestinal Tract and Other Organs / Subrata Ghosh and Raymond J. Playford -- Chapter 12. Cystatin: A Novel Bioactive Protein / Soichiro Nakamura -- Section III. The Body's Regulating System -- Chapter 13. ACE Inhibitory Peptides / Hans Meisel, Daniel J. Walsh, Brian Murray, and Richard J. FitzGerald -- Chapter 14 Regulation of Bone Metabolism: Milk Basic Protein / Yukihiro Takada and Seiichiro Aoe -- Chapter 15. Anticariogenic Peptides / K.J. Cross, N.L. Huq, and E.C. Reynolds -- Chapter 16. The Potential Therapeutic Role of Fibrinolytic Enzymes from Food in Cardiovascular Disease / Ada H.-K. Wong and Yoshinori Mine -- Section IV. The Body's Nervous System -- Chapter 17. Opioid Peptides / Benjamin Guesdon, Lisa Pichon, and Daniel Tomé.
- 2012 SpringerSarkar, Fazlul H.This book is about Nutraceuticals in cancer therapy, specifically targeted and Adjuvant therapy. It shows several approaches for possibly reducing systemic toxicity. This book illustrates the role of several dietary agents, collectively called nutraceuticals or natural agents in the prevention and/or treatment of human malignancies known to be mediated through alterations in multiple molecular targets. This book contains sixteen chapters which begin with historical perspective on the value of natural agents in the prevention of human malignancies followed by a series of current topics on multiple nutraceuticals targeting multiple cancers. This collection would likely be useful for bringing newer generations with broader perspectives in launching cutting-edge innovative molecular research, which would certainly help in designing targeted clinical trials in order to realize the dream of customize strategies for the prevention and/or treatment of human malignancies without causing any systemic toxicity. Moreover, the knowledge gained would allow novel utilization of nutraceuticals as adjunct to both conventional chemotherapy and radiation therapy in order to improve the overall quality of life and survival of patients diagnosed with cancers.
- 2014 CRCnetBASEMahabir, Somdat; Pathak, Yashwant.Background to nutraceuticals and human health / Dipanwita Dutta, Somdat Mahabir, and Yashwant V. Pathak -- Clinical trials of dietary supplements and cancer / Shanti D. Mahabir, Renjit Thomas, and Somdat Mahabir -- Curcumin in human cancer prevention and treatment / Adeeb Shehzad and Young Sup Lee -- Cancer prevention potential of diet and dietary supplements in epigenome modulation / Zdenko Herceg -- Role of dietary supplements in lowering ldl-cholesterol / Prabhjot Singh Nijjar -- Nutraceuticals and atherosclerosis : human trials. / Lina Badimon, Teresa Padro, and Gemma Vilahur -- Nutraceuticals in cardiovascular diseases : mechanisms and application / Srinivas M. Tipparaju, Jared Tur, and Siva K. Panguluri -- Potential of nutraceuticals against obesity complications / Kylie Conroy, Isobel Davidson, and Mary Warnock -- Role of nutraceutical supplements in the prevention and treatment of hypertension / Mark C. Houston -- Nutraceuticals in the treatment of metabolic syndrome / Francesco Visioli -- Medicinal herbs and dietary supplements in diabetes management / Poonam Tripathi and Awanish Kumar Pandey -- Nutrients for optimal lung function / Susan Ettinger -- Nutraceutical-gut microbiome interactions in human disease / Mukesh Verma -- Metabolic and potential health benefits of nutraceuticals on gut microbiome / Malay K. Das and Yashwant V. Pathak -- Nutraceuticals in the prevention of cognitive decline / Zhenzhen Zhang and L. Joseph Su -- Nutraceuticals in the prevention or treatment of parkinson's disease / Elizabeth Mazzio, Fran T. Close, and Karam F.A. Soliman -- Dietary supplements and other alternative substances for the treatment of multiple sclerosis / Angela Senders, Rebecca I. Spain, and Vijayshree Yadav -- Methodological issues conducting epidemiological research on nutraceuticals / Somdat Mahabir.
- 2001 CRCnetBASEHoppe, Peter-Paul; Krmer, Klaus; Packer, Lester.
- 2007 CRCnetBASEMeckling, Kelly Anne.Diabetes, obesity, and metabolic syndrome -- Hypolipidemic therapy: drugs, diet, and interactive effects -- Phytochemicals, xenobiotic metabolism, and carcinogenesis -- Nutrient and phytochemical modulation of cancer treatment -- Role of nutritional antioxidants in the prevention and treatment of neurodegenerative disorders -- Nutrients and herbals in the pharmacotherapy of unipolar/major depression -- Supplements and anethesiology -- Nutrient-and drug-responsive polymorphic genes as nutrigenomic tools for prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer -- Nutrigenomics and pharmacogenomics of human cancer: on the road from nutrigenetics and pharmacogenetics.
- 2006 CRCnetBASEChoi, Sang-Woon; Friso, Simonetta.
- 2009 CRCnetBASEChoi, Sang-Woon; Friso, Simonetta.Methylation on the nucleosome / Da Jia and Xiaodong Cheng -- Mammalian DNA methyltransferases / Michael J. Boland and Judith K. Christman -- Chromatin remodeling and histone modifications / Gavin R. Schnitzler -- Nutrients and DNA methylation / Sang-Woon Choi, Roberto Corrocher, and Simonetta Friso -- Nutrients, histone modifications, and chromatin remodeling in chronic inflammation / Barbara Delage and Roderick H. Dashwood -- Nutrients, epigenetics, and embryonic development / Craig A. Cooney -- Nutrients, epigenetics, and aging / John C. Mathers and Dianne Ford -- Nutrition, epigenetics, and cancer / Sharon A. Ross -- Conclusions and future perspectives / Sang-Woon Choi and Simonetta Friso.
- 2011 SpringerGerald, Joe K.; Preedy, Victor R.; Watson, Ronald R.Design of economic incentive instruments in nutrition policy -- Nutrition policy for the prevention of disease: issues of cost-effectiveness -- Economics of food fortification -- The economic value of dietary supplements: part I -- The economic value of dietary supplements: part II -- Fruit and vegetable prices, dietary intakes and income: potential cost versus benefit -- The role of ethnicity in shaping dietary patterns: a review on the social and psychological correlates of food consumption -- Low cost food, recovery and death in malnourished children -- Using price incentives to increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables among a low-income population -- Cost-effectiveness of nutritional interventions for bone health in children and young adults: what is known and where are the gaps? -- Economic evaluation of dental caries prevention programs using milk and its products as the vehicle for fluorides: cost versus benefits -- Cost effective natural antioxidants -- Zinc intervention strategies: costs and health benefits -- Multifaceted therapeutic value of roselle (hibiscus sabdariffa L. - malvaceae) -- The effectiveness and economical benefits of cosmetic treatments and procedures versus natural treatments and life style changes -- Antiviral potential of vegetables: can they be cost-effective agents for human disease? -- Citrus products and their use against bacteria: potential health and cost benefits -- Potential chemopreventive effects of fruits, vegetables, and spices consumed in Mexico -- Bioactive nutritional supplements for chronic kidney disease: potential cost benefits -- Preoperative immunonutrition: cost-benefit analysis -- Nutritional management of hypertension: cost versus benefit -- Cost-effectiveness analysis of the Mediterranean diet for persons after a heart attack -- Nutrition and the benefits of early interventions in diabetes, cardiovascular and noncommunicable diseases -- Cost-effectiveness of glycemic control: economic considerations with lifestyle modification versus pharmacologic therapy in achieving glycemic targets in type 2 diabetes mellitus -- Benefits of low glycemic and high satiety index foods for obesity and diabetes control and management -- Importance and benefits of lifestyles changes versus diabetes drugs in effective management of diabetes -- Cost of pycnogenol supplementation and traditional diabetes treatments per unit of improved health outcome -- Pycnogenol supplementation and cardiovascular health: treatment and cost-benefit analysis.
- 2005 SpringerMostofsky, David I.; Yehuda, Shlomo.Stress revisited: a methodological and conceptual history / Martha M. Faraday -- Experimental protocols for the study of stress in animals and humans / Carla Gambarana -- Neurobiological foundations of stress / Michael R. Foy ... [et al.] -- The beneficial effects of fruit and vegetable supplementation on neuronal signaling and behavior in aging: beyond antioxidants / J.A. Joseph, B. Shukitt-Hale, and G. Casadesus -- Effects of stress and nutrition on blood-brain barrier functions / Akihiko Urayama and William A. Banks -- Essential fatty acids and stress / Shlomo Yehuda, Sharon Rabinovitz, and David I. Mostofsky -- Stress, glucocorticoids, and the brain / R.H. deRijk and E.R. de Kloet -- Herbal products, stress, and the mind / David Wheatley -- Stress and food craving / Sharon Rabinovitz -- Stress, alcohol consumption, and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis / Maria M. Glavas and Joanne Weinberg -- Influences on diet and stress across space and time: a contextual perspective / Daniel Kim and Ichiro Kawachi -- Nutrition and stress and the developing fetus / Rinat Armony-Sivan and Arthur I. Eidelman -- Lipids and depression / Basant K. Puri -- Nicotine, sleep, and depression / Javier Velázquez-Moctezuma and René Drucker-Colín -- Aggresssion, fish oil, and noradrenergic activity / Tomohito Hamazaki -- Stress in the pathogenesis of eating disorders and obesity / Gal Dubnov and Elliot M. Berry -- Effect of dietary hypercholesteremia on host immune response / Roger M. Loria -- Treatment of Huntington's disease with eicosapentaenoic acid / Basant K. Puri -- Major stressors in women's health: the role of nutrition / Adrianne Bendich and Ronit Zilberboim -- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and metabolic syndrome X / Undurti N. Das -- Dietary management of stress using amino acid supplements / Miro Smriga and Kunio Torii -- Conditioned nutritional requirements of the failing heart / Michael J. Sole -- Polyunsaturated fatty acids and neuro-inflammation / Sophie Layé and Robert Dantzer -- Pathophysiological effects of inflammatory mediators and stress on distinct memory systems / Lisa A. Teather -- The interactions between nutrition and inflammatory stress throughout the life cycle / Robert F. Grimble.
- 2005 CRCnetBASEFuchs, Jürgen; Packer, Lester; Rimbach, Gerald.
- 2014 CRCnetBASEFerguson, Lynnette R.Nutrigenetics and nutrigenomics : importance for functional foods and personalized nutrition / Lynnette R. Ferguson -- Variations in solute transporter genes affecting micronutrient solute transport and human health / Peter Eck -- Genetic variants in the omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acid metabolic pathways : their role in the determination of nutritional requirements and chronic disease risk / Artemis P. Simopoulos -- Nutrigenomic approaches to unravelling the physiological effects of complex foods / Peter J. Gillies and John P. Vanden Heuvel -- Modulating the risk of cardiovascular disease through nutrigenetics / Antonio Garcia-Rios ... [et al.] -- Modulating the risk of obesity and diabetes through nutrigenetics / Helen M. Roche and Catherine Phillips -- Nutrigenetics and Crohn's disease -- / Lynnette R. Ferguson -- Microbiome and host interactions in inflammatory bowel diseases : relevance for personalized nutrition / Wayne Young, Bianca Knoch, and Nicole C. Roy -- The importance of cell-specific gene expression patterns for understanding nutrient and gene interactions in inflammatory bowel diseases / Anna Russ ... [et al.] -- Data mining and network analysis : potential importance in nutrigenomics research / Varma Vijayalakshmi and Jim Kaput -- Metabolomics : an important tool for assessing state of health and risk of disease in nutrigenomics research / Hui Ming Lin and Daryl Rowan -- Epigenetics : what role could this play in functional foods and personalised nutrition? / Matthew P.G. Barnett, Shalom A. Bassett, and Emma Bermingham -- Foodomics to study efficacy of human dietary interventions : proof of principle study / Stephanie Ellett ... [et al.] -- Considerations in estimating genotype in nutrigenetic studies / Angharad R. Morgan -- Bringing nutrigenomics to the food industry : industry-academia partnerships as an important challenge / Ralf C. Schlothauer and Joerg Kistler -- Commercialisation of nutrigenetics and nutrigenomics / Virginia Parslow and Lynnette R. Ferguson -- Bringing nutrigenomics to the public : Is direct-to-consumer testing the future of nutritional genomics? / David Castle -- Nutritional genomics in practice : interaction with health professionals in bringing nutritional genomics to the public / Colleen Fogarty Draper -- Harvesting normative potential for nutrigenomic research / Bart Penders and Michiel Korthals -- Public health context for nutrigenomics and personalized nutrition / Elizabeth H. Marchlewicz, Karen E. Peterson, and Filbert S. Omenn -- Nutrigenomics and public health / Maria Agelli and John Milner.
- 2007 KargerGillies, Peter J.; Tai, E. S.Nutrition in the 'omics' era / J.A. Milner -- Nutrigenetics / A. El-Sohemy -- Epigenomics and nutrition / L. Cobiac -- Early nutrition: impact on epigenetics / J.C. Mathers -- Nutrition and genome health / M. Fenech -- Nutrition: ethics and social implications / I.H. Slamet-Loedin, U.A. Jenie -- Proteomics / V. Thongboonkerd -- Diet and genomic stability / G.P. Young -- High-throughput genotyping / J.E. Lee -- Nutrient-gene interactions in lipoprotein metabolism - overview / J.M. Ordovas, D. Corella, J. Kaput -- The genetics of lipoprotein metabolism and heart disease / E.S. Tai -- Gene-environment interactions and the diabetes epidemic in India / V. Mohan ... [et al.] -- Gene expression in low glycemic index diet - impact on metabolic control / E. Takeda ... [et al.] -- Genetic polymorphisms in folate-metabolizing enzymes and risk of gastroesophageal cancers: a potential nutrient-gene interaction in cancer development / D. Lin ... [et al.] -- Dietary quercetin inhibits proliferation of lung carcinoma cells / H. Hung -- Osteoporosis: the role of genetics and the environment / B. Ongphiphadhanakul -- Application of nutrigenomics in eye health / C. Delcourt -- Nutrigenomics of taste - impact on food preferences and food production / A. El-Sohemy ... [et al.] -- Prospects for improving the nutritional quality of dairy and meat products / S.G. Coffey -- Functionality of probiotics - potential for product development / J. Dekker ... [et al.] -- Developing the promise of nutrigenomics through complete science and international collaborations / J. Kaput -- ILSI's first international conference on nutrigenomics: oppotunities in Asia / R.F. Florentino.
- 2002 KargerRosenberg, Irwin H.; Sastre Gallego, Ana.The Mitochondrial Genome, Aging and Neurodegenerative Disorders / D.A. Cottrell, D.M. Turnbull (Newcastle upon Tyne) -- Effects of Caloric Restriction on Gene Expression / R. Weindruch, T. Kayo, C.-K. Lee, T.A. Prolla (Madison, Wisc.) -- Early Life Effects on Aging / A. Aihie Sayer, C. Cooper (Southampton) -- Impaired Regulation of Energy Intake in Old Age / S.B. Roberts (Boston, Mass.) -- Aging and Body Composition / J.J. Kehayias (Boston, Mass.) -- Insulin Resistance: A Genetic Approach. Overview / M.T. Martinez Larrad, J.L. Gonzalez Sanchez, M. Serrano Rios (Madrid) -- Functional Changes in the Gastrointestinal System / S. Hirsch, M.P. de la Maza (Santiago) -- The Impact of Nutrition on Bone Health: New Concepts / P. Burckhardt (Lausanne) -- Nutrition and Cognition in Older Persons / J.E. Morley (St. Louis, Mo.) -- Known Related Effects of Nutrition on Aging Muscle Function / H. Payette (Sherbrooke) -- Exercise, Sarcopenia, Cognition, and Mood / R. Roubenoff (Boston, Mass.) -- The 2001 Assessment of Nutritional Influences on Risk of Cataract / A. Taylor, M. Hobbs (Boston, Mass.) -- Age-Related Changes in Hydration / M.J. Arnaud (Vittel) -- Nutrition and the Aging Immune Response / 0. Adolfsson, S.N. Meydani (Boston, Mass.) -- Physical Assessment for Aging Prediction / M. Ferry (Valence), B. Lesourd (Clermont-Ferrand), P. Pftizenmeyer (Dijon) -- Rationale for Tests of the Neuropsychiatric Effects of Nutrient Deficiency / M. Folstein, T. Scott (Boston, Mass.).
- 2015 CRCnetBASEKushner, Robert F.; Still, Christopher D.Hapter 1. Review of nutritional gastrointestinal physiology imposed by bariatric surgical procedures / Michael A. Via and Jeffrey I. Mechanick -- chapter 2. Nutritional assessment of the bariatric surgery patient / Maria L. Collazo-Clavell -- chapter 3. Nutrition management, pre- and postsurgery / Sue Cummings -- chapter 4. Anemia and bariatric surgery / Mark A. Marinella -- chapter 5. Metabolic bone disease following bariatric surgery / Stephanie F. Deivert and Christopher D. Still -- chapter 6. Neurological disorders / Neeraj Kumar -- chapter 7. Selected nutritional deficiencies (Zinc, Selenium, Vitamins A, D, E, and K, and Niacin) / Yaniv Cozacov, Hira Ahmad, and Raul J. Rosenthal -- chapter 8. Pharmacology of drugs and nutritional supplements / Margaret Malone -- chapter 9. Macronutrient concerns : protein-energy malnutrition / Pornpoj Pramyothin and Caroline M. Apovian -- chapter 10. Special populations : adolescents / Kathleen B. Hrovat, Linda M. Kollar, and Thomas H. Inge -- chapter 11. Special populations : pregnancy and lactation after bariatric surgery/ Michelle A. Kominiarek -- chapter 12. Psychological issues and eating behavior before and after bariatric surgery / David B. Sarwer and Rebecca J. Dilks -- chapter 13. Nutrition and body contouring procedures / Siamak Agha-Mohammadi -- chapter 14. Obesity in critical illness : implications for nutrition therapy / Stephen A. McClave, Thomas H. Frazier, Samir D. Vermani, and Ryan T. Hurt -- chapter 15. Nutrition and weight regain in the bariatric surgical patient / Kirsten Webb Sorensen, Holly Herrington, and Robert F. Kushner.
- 2015 SpringerDawson-Hughes, Bess; Holick, M. F.This newly revised edition contains updated versions of many of the topics that were in the first edition and has been substantially expanded with an additional 5 chapters. Each chapter includes information from the most up-to-date research on how nutritional factors can affect bone health, written with an evidence-based focus and complete with comprehensive references for each subject. Nutrition and Bone Health, second edition covers all aspects of nutrition and the skeleton, from the history and fundamentals, to the effects of macronutrients, minerals, vitamins, and supplements, and even covers the effects of lifestyle, the different life stages, and nutrition-related disorders and secondary osteoporosis. Hot topics include the vitamin K story, nutraceuticals and new information about biomechanics of bone. New chapters include HIV & AIDs and the skeleton, celiac disease and bone health, and nutrition and bone health in space. Nutrition and Bone Health, second edition is a necessary resource for health care professionals, medical students, graduate students, dietitians, and nutritionists who are interested in how nutrition affects bone health during all stages of life.
- 2006 CRCnetBASEAwad, Atif B.; Bradford, Peter G.
- 2006 CRCnetBASEOpara, Emmanuel C.
- 2013 SpringerHollins Martin, Caroline; Preedy, Victor R.; Watson, Ronald R.Overview and General Aspects -- An Overview of the Extent and Nature of Menopause and Its Physiological Basis / Yvonne T. van der Schouw -- Body Composition and Menopausal Transition: A Bioanthropological Perspective / Sylvia Kirchengast M.A., -- Menopause-Related Physiological Changes and Their Possible Control Through Diet and Exercise / Igor Z. Zubrzycki, D.Sc., Magdalena Wiacek, Ted Greiner -- The Role of Polyphenols in Menopause / Isabel Baeza, Mónica De la Fuente -- Bone and Muscle -- Intestinal Calcium Absorption Efficiency in Women and the Influence of Menopause / John Aloia, Albert Shieh -- Calcium Absorption from Fortified Soymilk in Osteopenic Postmenopausal Women / Lily Stojanovska, Anne Lise Tang -- Postmenopausal Homocysteine, Vitamin B12, Folate Levels and Bone Metabolism: A Focus on Fractures / Berna Haliloglu, Hakan Peker -- Antioxidant Vitamins and Carotenoids Associated with Bone Mineral Density in Postmenopause Female Subjects: Japanese Perspectives / Minoru Sugiura -- Soy Protein Isoflavones and Their Effect on Bone in Postmenopausal Women / J. Christopher Gallagher, Vinod Yalamanchili -- S-equol, a Natural Metabolite of Soy Daidzein, for the Treatment of Menopausal Symptoms and Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women / Richard L. Jackson, Jeffrey S. Greiwe, Richard J. Schwen -- Tofu in Menopause Therapy and Prevention / Wangjing Ke M.P.H., Ronald Ross Watson -- Dietary Phytoestrogens in Preventing Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women: Italian Aspects / Luigi Mario Chiechi -- Curcumin and Its Potential Effects on the Development of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis / Joanna Folwarczna -- Menopause and Sarcopenia: Dietary and Nutritional Aspects / Sébastien Barbat-Artigas, Mylène Aubertin-Leheudre -- Cardiovascular System, Metabolism and Cancer -- Effects of Flaxseed on Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Menopause / Maureen Meister, Brenda J. Smith, Bahram H. Arjmandi -- Magnesium Metabolism in Menopause / S. S. Avinash,, Sreekantha, -- Effect of Folic Acid Supplementation in Postmenopausal Women / Giancarlo Paradisi, Francesca Ianniello, Francesca Basile -- Use of Diet and Myoinositol in Postmenopausal Women: A New Approach to the Metabolic Syndrome / Rosario D'Anna, Maria Lieta Interdonato -- Leptin and Obesity in Ovarian Dysfunction in Menopause / Patrick Rene Diel, Carmen Weigt -- Fat and Fat Distribution in Menopause: Chinese Aspects / Xiaoguang Ma, Wei He, Shankuan Zhu -- Nutrition and Breast Cancer in Premenopausal and Postmenopausal Women in Uruguay / Alvaro L. Ronco, Eduardo De Stéfani -- Obesity, Nutrition, and Cancer in Menopause: European Perspectives / Krasimira Aleksandrova -- Vitamin D and the Menopause: A Focus on Apoptosis in Cancer / Henk R. Franke -- Gynecological Malignancies and Diet in Menopause: From the Biological and Epidemiological Viewpoints / Kiyoshi Ito, Hironobu Sasano, Nobuo Yaegashi -- Psychological Aspects and Cognitive Function -- The Psychology of the Menopause: The Experiences During the Transition and Individual Conceptualization of Menopause / Eleonora Bielawska-Batorowicz -- Cognitive Decline in Menopause / Cristina Larroy, Rosa Vera -- An Overview of Menopausal Dietary Supplements and Cognition / Yuri N. Clement -- Black Cohosh for the Menopausal Transition: Issues of Safety and Efficacy / Gail B. Mahady -- Preclinical Studies: Implications for Human Health -- Animal Models of Menopausal Metabolism / Jameela Banu, Gabriel Fernandes -- Phytoestrogen α-Zearalanol in an Animal Model of Menopause / Wen Wang -- Flaxseed and Bone Health in Animal Models of Menopause / Wendy Elizabeth Ward, Lilian U. Thompson -- Flavonoids of Herba Epimedii and Bone Metabolism in Experimental Ovarian Deficiency / Man-Sau Wong, Yan Zhang -- Dietary Plant Maslinic Acid in Ovariectomy Model of Menopause / Jian Luo, Mingyao Liu -- Interlinking Diet, Nutrition, Menopause and Recommended Resources / Roshanna Rajendram B.Sc. (hons)
- 2013 ScienceDirectBagchi, Debasis; Nair, Sreejayan; Sen, Chandan K.1. Nutritional supplementation in health and sports performance -- 2. Glycemic index, food exchange values and exercise performance -- 3. Performance enhancement drugs and sports supplements for resistance training -- 4. Exercise and cardiovasular disease -- 5. Resistance training and physical exercise in human health -- 6. Psychology and exercise -- 7. Bone health, bone mineral density and sports performance -- 8. Immune function, nutrition, and exercise -- 9. The immune response to exercise: effects on cellular mobilization, immune function and muscle regeneration -- 10. Vegetarian athletes -- 11. Nutrition in combat sports -- 12. Sumo wrestling: an overview -- 13. Bioenergetics on cuclic sports activities on land: walking, running and cycling -- 14. Bioenergetics of cyclic sport activities in water: swimming, rowing, and kayaking -- 15. Performance enhancement drugs and sports supplements: a review of the evidence -- 16. Nutrition and ultra-endurance: an overview -- 17. Exercise and nutritional benefits for individuals with a spinal cord injury or amputation -- 18. An overview of doping in sports -- 19. Nutrition in paralympics -- 20. An overview on the history of sports nutrition beverages -- 21. α-Hydroxy-isocaproic acid (HICA)- effects on body composition, muscle soreness and athletic performance -- 22. Role of mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) in muscle growth -- 23. Stress proteins and heat shock proteins: role in muscle building and sports nutrition -- 24. Anabolic and catabolic signaling pathways that regulate skeletal muscle mass -- 25. Muscle growth, repair and preservation: a mechanistic approach -- 26. Nitric oxide, sports nutrition and muscle building -- 27. Role of nitric oxide in sports nutrition -- 28. Blood rheology, blood flow and human health -- 29. Genetic aspects of sprint, strength and power performance -- 30. Unraveling the function of skeletal muscle as a secretory organ -- 31. The role of testosterone in nutrition and sports: an overview -- 32. Nutritional interventions to reduce immune suppression post marathon -- 33. Carbohydrate and muscle glycogen metabolism: exercise demands and nutritional influences -- 34. An overview of adaptogens with a special emphasis on withania and rhodiola -- 35. Anabolic training response and clinical implications -- 36. Requirements of energy, carbohydrates, proteins, and fats for athletes -- 37. An overview of branched-chain amino acids in exercise and sports nutrition -- 38. Water, hydration and sports drink -- 39. Physiological basis for creatine supplementation in skeletal muscle -- 40. Oral bioavailability of creatine supplements -- 41. An overview of carnitine -- 42. An overview of the influence of protein ingestion on muscle hypertrophy -- 43. An overview of ornithine, arginine and citrulline in exercise and sports nutrition -- 44. An overview of glycine-arginine-alpha-ketoisocaproic acid (GAKIC) in sports nutrition -- 45. L-arginine and L-citrulline in sports nutrition and health -- 46. Roles of chromium(III), vanadium, and zinc in sports nutrition -- 47. An overview on beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation in skeletal muscle function and sports performance -- 48. Role of astaxanthin in sports nutrition -- 49. Ursolic acid and maslinic acid -- 50. Plant borates and potential uses to promote post-training recovery and to mitigate overtraining syndrome -- 51. An overview on caffeine -- 52. Role of quercetin in sports nutrition -- 53. Human perfomance and sports applications of tongkat ali (eurycoma longifolia) -- 54. Nutrition and dietary recommendations for bodybuilders -- 55. Performance nutrition for young athletes -- 56. Commentary.
- 2009 CRCnetBASEDriskell, Judy A.Section I. Introduction -- Introduction: nutrition and exercise concerns of middle age / Judy A. Driskell -- Section II. Energy-yielding nutrients -- Carbohydrates / Michael S. Green and J. Andrew Doyle -- Lipids / Sarah J. Ehlers, Heather E. Rasmussen, and Ji-Young Lee -- Proteins / Brian S. Snyder and Mark D. Haub -- Section III. Vitamins -- Fat-soluble vitamins / Maria Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis and Gayatri Borthakur -- Vitamin C / Herb E. Schellhorn and Yi Li -- B-vitamins / George U. Liepa ...[et al.] -- Section IV. Minerals -- Major minerals--calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus / Forrest H. Nielsen -- Iron / Emily M. Haymes -- Trace elements excluding iron--chromium and zinc / Henry C. Lukaski and Angus G. Scrimgeour -- Section V. Fluids and hydration -- Fluids, electrolytes, and hydration / Douglas S. Kalman -- Section VI. Other commonly consumed substances -- Caffeine and tannins / Joy Kandiah and Valerie A. Amend -- Herbal supplements / Jidong Sun and David W. Giraud -- Section VII. Recreational activities -- Endurance training / Shawn R. Simonson and Catherine G. Ratzin-Jackson -- Resistance training / Robert J. Moffatt, Jacob M. Wilson, and Tait Lawrence -- Section VIII. Age-related disorders -- Cardiovascular issues / Susan Hazels Mitmesser -- Cancer / Farid E. Ahmed.
- 2008 KargerSimopoulos, Artemis P.Nutrition and fitness from the first Olympiad in 776 BC to the 21st century and the concept of positive health / Simopoulos, A.P. -- Omega-3 fatty acids, exercise, physical activity, and athletics / Simopoulos, A.P. -- Omega-6 fatty acids and excessive adipose tissue development / Ailhaud, G. -- Non-conventional genetic risk factors for cardiovascular disease / Allayee, H. -- ApoE genotype : impact on health, fitness, and nutrition / Angelopoulos, T.J., Lowndes, J.-- Nutrition in the prevention of chronic diseases / Tapsell, L.C., Probst, Y.C. -- Exercise and obesity : lifestyle modification as a means in prevention and treatment / Pavlou, K.N. -- Nutritional risk factors for gastrointestinal cancers : the multiethnic cohort study / Kolonel, L.N. -- Mediterranean food and diets, global resource for the control of metabolic syndrome and chronic diseases / Urquiaga, I. ... [et al.] -- The role of government in nutrition and fitness / Bourne, P.G.-- Balancing the scales : a common-sense look at global nutrition problems and what can be done about them / Clay, W.D. -- Historical perspective : the antiquity of exercise, exercise physiology and the exercise prescription for health / Tipton, C.M. -- Declaration of Olympia on nutrition and fitness : ancient Olympia, Greece, May 28-29, 1996.
- Nutrition and fitness. Part 2, Mental health, aging, and the implementation of a healthy diet and physical activity lifestyle2005 KargerSimopoulos, Artemis P.
- 2005 KargerSimopoulos, Artemis P.Criteria and classification of obesity in Japan and Asia-Oceania / M. Kanazaw ... [et al.] - Exercise and obesity in China / C. Chang -- Obesity in childhood: the Greek experience / A. Kafatos, C.A. Codrington, M. Linardakis -- Epidemiology of physical activity from adolescence to young adulthood / D.J. Aaron, Y.S. Jekal, R.E. Laporte -- Adolescent obesity and physical activity / N. Hwalla, A.M. Sibai, N. Adra -- Nutrition and physical activity of the population in Serbia / M. Pavlovic, V. Grujic, A. Oshaug -- Physical activity and body composition / D. Andreoli, A. De Lorenzo -- Syndrome X: clinical aspects / D. Labadarios -- Metabolic syndrome: is there a pathophysiological common denominator?: lessons learned from the Pima Indians / P.A. Tataranni -- Lifestyle-gene-drug interactions in relation to the Metabolic syndrome / L. Storlien ... [et al.] -- Coronary heart disease, genetics, nutrition and physical activity / M.B. Donati, I. Iacoviello -- Role of nutrients and physical activity in gene expression / R. De Caterina, R. Madonna -- Physical activity and hypertension: an overview / G.P. Rontoyannis -- Omega-3 fatty acids and ventricular arrhythmias / A. Leaf, J.X. Kang, Y.-F. Xiao -- A method for the direct evaluation of the fatty acid status in a drop of blood from a fingertip in humans: application to population studies and correlations with biological parameters / F. Marangoni, C. Colombo, C. Galli -- Measurement error in the assessment of interaction between dietary and genetic factors in cohort studies of cancer / S.A. Bingham -- Cancer frequency in poor rural communities consuming a very limited diet / M. Muñoz Rivera ... [et al.] -- Omega-6/omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids ratio and breast cancer / P. Bougnoux, V. Maillard, V. Chajés -- Fish, [omega]-3 polyunsaturated fat intake and cancer at selected sites / A. Tavani ... [et al.] -- Cancer risk reduction by physical exercise / A. Willer.
- 2008 SpringerDeLegge, Mark H.
- 2013 KargerPhillip, Moshe; Shamir, Raanan; Turck, Dominique."Growth as an indicator of health is more sensitive than commonly believed and can serve as an early sign of imbalance, before other malfunctions manifest themselves. Particularly in developing countries, growth failure in infants and children is related to mortality, morbidity and impaired brain development, and increases the risk of adult-onset non-communicable diseases. This publication focuses on the challenges of the interaction between nutrition and growth in the pediatric age group. Subjects covered include the interplay between nutrition and the IGF axis; early feeding and later growth; growth charts (including an update on the implementation of the WHO growth standards); various aspects of obesity; nutrition and growth of premature infants and of children with specific diseases; and the interaction between bone health, nutrition and growth. Containing lectures from the '1st International Conference on Nutrition and Growth' (Paris 2012), this book is a valuable source of information for pediatricians, nutritionists, neonatologists, and experts in child development."--Publisher's website.
- 2014 KargerKoletzko, B.; Phillip, Moshe; Shamir, Raanan; Turck, Dominique.Obesity, metabolic syndrome, and nutrition / Battelino, T., Shalitin, S. -- Neonatal and infant nutrition, breastfeeding / Turck, D., van Goudoever, J.B. -- Cognition / Hull, H.R., Carlson, S.E. -- Nutrition and growth in chronic diseases / Hartman, C., Altowati, M.A., Ahmed, S.F., Shamir, R. -- Malnutrition and catch-up growth during childhood and puberty / Baron, J., Jee, Y.H., Phillip, M., Bhutta, Z. -- Pregnancy : impact of maternal nutrition on intrauterine fetal growth / Yogev, Y., Hiersch, L.
- 2016 KargerKoletzko, B.; Phillip, Moshe; Shamir, Raanan; Turck, Dominique.The physiology and mechanism of growth / Ahmed, S.F., Phillip, M., Grimberg, A. -- Obesity, metabolic syndrome and nutrition / Shaltin, S., Battelino, T., Moreno, L.A. -- Term and preterm infants / van Goudoever, J.B., Turck, D. -- Cognition / Agostoni, C., Bettocchi, S. -- Nutrition and growth in chronic disease / Hartmann, C., Shamir, R. -- Early nutrition and its effects on growth, body composition and later obesity / Michaelsen, K.F., Larnkjaer, A., Larsson, M.W., Mølgaard, C. -- Malnutrition and catch-up growth during childhood and puberty / Bhutta, Z., Yackobovitch-Gavan, M. -- Pregnancy: impact of maternal nutrition on intrauterine fetal growth / Hiersch, L.; Yogey, Y.
- 2002 CRCnetBASEWiseman, Gerald.
- 2008 SpringerBloem, Martin W.; Semba, Richard D.
- 2013 CRCnetBASELeyse-Wallace, Ruth.Historical perspective -- Addiction, food, alcohol, and caffeine -- Aggression, anger, hostility, and violence -- Autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) -- Genetics, nutrition, and inherited disorders of metetabolism -- Intellect, cognition, and dementia -- Mood disorders : depression, bipolar disorder, and suicide -- Schizophrenia -- Starvation, eating disorders, craving, dieting, and bariatric surgery -- Quality of life, well-being, and stress.
- 2009 SpringerMantzoros, Christos S.
- 2014 SpringerEpstein, Joel B.; Mobley, Connie C.; Touger-Decker, Riva.Nutrition and Oral Medicine, Second Edition addresses the complex, multifaceted relationships between nutrition and oral health, explores proposed relationships between oral, systemic and nutritional well-being and provides insights into interprofessional, comprehensive care for individuals. Chapters focus on diet, nutrition and oral health promotion and disease prevention across the lifespan, oral and dental diseases and disorders, oral manifestations of systemic diseases, and discussions of the synergy between oral tissues and nutrients. Cutting edge research issues regarding the relationship of individual antioxidants, trace elements, polyphenols and other nutrient substrates and oral health/disease, nutrigenomics, screening for nutrition and oral risk and other areas are covered in detail. Editors and authors include experts in nutrition and oral health from around the world. Nutrition and Oral Medicine, Second Edition is a invaluable resource for health professionals in the fields of nutrition and dentistry as well as other disciplines whose research, practice and education includes nutrition and oral medicine. It is an excellent resource for graduate level nutrition and dental students, dental and nutrition practitioners, educators and researchers as well as other health professionals.
- 2008 SpringerColeman, Laura A.Also available: Print – 2008
- 2011 SpringerPappas, Apostolos.Vitamin A and the Skin -- Relevance of the Cutaneous Vitamin D Endocrine System for Skin Physiology and Treatment of Skin Diseases -- Photoprotection of the Skin with Vitamins C and E: Antioxidants and Synergies -- Carotenoids and Skin -- Antioxidants and Skin -- Minerals and the Skin -- Minerals and the Skin -- Probiotics and Skin -- Introduction and Overview -- Diet and Acne -- Glycemic Load and Acne -- Essential Fatty Acids and Atopic Dermatitis -- Hair Biology and Nutritional Influences -- Detecting and Monitoring Nutrients on Skin Using Noninvasive Methods -- Nutritional Clinical Studies in Dermatology.
- 2005 KargerAugustin, Albert J.Chemopreventive compounds in the diet / Schreier, P. -- Vitamin C, vitamin E and flavonoids / Janisch, K.M. ... [et al.] -- Macular carotenoids: lutein and zeaxanthin / Stahl, W. -- Selenium, selenoproteins and vision / Flohé, L. -- Nutritional supplementation to prevent cataract formation / Meyer, C.H.; Sekundo, W. -- Nutrition and retina / Schmidt-Erfurth, U.Also available: Print – 2005
- 2001 CRCnetBASEJackson, Catherine G. Ratzin.
- 2014 CRCnetBASEPereira, Mark A."Focusing on the worldwide impact of type 2 diabetes regarding nutrition, dietary modification, risk, and management, this book draws on evidence-based research and provides numerous epidemiologic cohort studies, as well as carefully conducted clinical trials. Chapters correlate treatment modes and risk factors as well as the global impact of nutrition back to the basic premise held in the etiology of the disease. Topics include historical perspectives; macronutrients, micronutrients, food, dietary beverages, and dietary patterns; diet-gene interactions; and the role of age, ethnicity, and other demographics in modifying treatment for type 2 diabetes"--Provided by publisher.
- 2007 CRCnetBASEMolnar, Joseph Andrew.Overview of nutrition and wound healing / Joseph A. Molnar -- Carbohydrates and wound healing / Carol Ireton-Jones, George U. Liepa -- Fat and wound healing / John J. Turek -- Protein and wound healing / Maggie L. Dylewski and Yong-Ming Yu -- Glutamine and wound healing / Mark B. Schoemann ... [et al.] -- Arginine and wound healing / Vanita Ahuja, Majida Rizk, and Adrian Barbul -- B vitamins and wound healing / George U. Liepa ... [et al.] -- Vitamin C and wound healing / Hideharu Tanaka and Joseph A. Molnar -- Fat-soluble vitamins and wound healing / Michelle M. Gottschlich -- Trace elements and wound healing / Thomas G. Baumgartner -- Nutrition and wound healing in burns, trauma, and sepsis / Corilee A. Watters, Edward E. Tredgett, and Carmelle Cooper -- Nutrition and wound healing in cancer / Perry Shen and Shayn Martin -- Nutrition and wound healing at the age extremes / Hannah G. Piper, Tom Jaksic, and Patrick J. Javid -- Pharmacologic manipulation of the healing wound: the role of hormones / Robert H. Demling.
- 2012 SpringerShankar, Sharmila; Srivastava, Rakesh K.Aberrant Signaling Pathways in Cancer: Modulation by the Dietary Flavonoid, Quercetin / Ramamurthi Vidya Priyadarsini and Siddavaram Nagini -- Micronutrients and Cancer: Add Spice to Your Life / Sahdeo Prasad, Subash C. Gupta and Bharat B. Aggarwal -- Chemoprevention of Prostate Cancer with Cruciferous Vegetables: Role of Epigenetics / Laura M. Beaver, David E. Williams, Roderick H. Dashwood and Emily Ho -- Molecular Insight and Preclinical Perspective of Thymoquinone as Chemopreventive Agent and Therapeutic Adjunct in Cancer / Sanjeev Banerjee, Mansi Parasramka, Fazlul H. Sarkar and Ramzi M. Mohammad -- Dietary Biofactors in the Management of Cancer: Myth or Reality? / Vidushi S. Neergheen-Bhujun, K. S. Kang, O. I. Aruoma and T. Bahorun -- Nutritional Compounds as Chemopreventive Agents by Proteasome Inhibition / Kristin Landis-Piwowar, Elizabeth Smerczak, Jian Zuo and Q. Ping Dou -- STAT Signaling in Cancer Prevention / Su-Ni Tang, Sharmila Shankar and Rakesh K. Srivastava -- [gamma][delta] T Cells, Tea and Cancer / Jingwei Lu, Vincent J. Pompili and Hiranmoy Das -- Phytochemical Intakes with a Mediterranean Diet: Levels Achievable with an Exchange List Diet and Potential Biomarkers in Blood / Zora Djuric -- Plant Polyphenols and Their Role in Cancer Prevention and Chemotherapy / Sharmila Shankar, Brahma N. Singh and Rakesh K. Srivastava -- Role of Food Micro-molecules in the Prevention of Cancer / Latha Sabikhi, Alok Jha, Sudhir Kumar Tomer and Ashish Kumar Singh. The Protective Role of Zinc in Cancer: A Potential Chemopreventive Agent / Bin Bao, Amir Ahmad, Azfar S Azmi, Zhiwei Wang and Sanjeev Banerjee, et al. -- Diet-Induced Epigenetic Changes and Cancer Prevention: A Mantra for Healthy Living / Ajay Goel and Gaurav Chaturvedi -- Western Diet-Induced Pancreatic Cancer / M. Mura Assifi and Guido Eibl -- Intracellular Signaling Network as a Prime Chemotherapy Target of Green Tea Catechin, (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate / Brahma N. Singh, Sharmila Shankar and Rakesh K. Srivastava -- Role of Dietary Antioxidants in Cancer / C. M. Ajila and S. K. Brar -- Curcumin: Structure, Biology and Clinical Applications / Sharmila Shankar and Rakesh K. Srivastava -- Obesity, Cancer and Psychopathology: Can Vegetarian Diet Be of Help? / Vikas Kumar, Ajit Kumar Thakur and Shyam Sunder Chatterjee -- Dietary Phytochemicals as Epigenetic Modulators in Cancer / Vijay S. Thakur and Sanjay Gupta -- Modulation of the Nrf2 Signaling Pathway by Chemopreventive Dietary Phytoconstituents / Altaf S. Darvesh and Anupam Bishayee -- Role of Fish Oil from Gene Expression to Pharmacological Effect in Cancer Prevention / Malay Chatterjee, Subhadeep Das, Mary Chatterjee and Kaushik Roy -- Antioxidant Supplements: An Evidence-Based Approach to Health Benefits and Risks / Goran Bjelakovic, Dimitrinka Nikolova and Christian Gluud -- Natural Antioxidants and Their Role in Cancer Prevention / Akanksha Singh, Akansha Jain, Birinchi Kumar Sarma, Alok Jha and H. B. Singh -- Dietary and Non-dietary Phytochemicals in Cancer Control / Dhanir Tailor and Rana P. Singh.
- 2011 CRCnetBASEMaulik, Gautam; Maulik, Nilanjana."Extensive research on nutrigenomics has unveiled numerous epigenetic mechanisms that are influenced by our dietary signature. This book illustrates how nutrition can influence epigenetic inheritance and the mechanisms that underlie modification of the metabolic imprint of an individual. The text discusses the basics of nutrigenomics and epigenetic regulation, types of nutrition influencing genetic imprinting, and the role of nutrition in modulating an individual's predisposition to disease. It also covers epigenetic variation, genomic imprinting, maternal nutrition, neonatal nutrition, as well as epigenetics and nutrition relating to cancer, heart disease, and obesity"--Provided by publisher.Also available: Print – 2011
- 2014 OvidDudek, Susan G.Nutrition in nursing -- Carbohydrates -- Protein -- Lipids -- Vitamins -- Water and minerals -- Energy balance -- Guidelines for healthy eating -- Consumer issues -- Cultural and religious influences on food and nutrition -- Healthy eating for healthy babies -- Nutrition for infants, children, and adolescents -- Nutrition for older adults -- Obesity and eating disorders -- Feeding patients : oral diets and enteral and parenteral nutrition -- Nutrition for patients with metabolic or respiratory stress -- Nutrition for patients with upper gastrointestinal disorders -- Nutrition for patients with disorders of the lower GI tract and accessory organs -- Nutrition for patients with diabetes mellitus -- Nutrition for patients with cardiovascular disorders -- Nutrition for patients with kidney disorders -- Nutrition for patients with cancer or HIV/AIDS.
- 2006 OvidDudek, Susan G.Unit one: Principles of nutrition -- Nutrition in nursing -- Carbohydrates -- Protein -- Lipids -- Vitamins -- Water and minerals -- Energy metabolism -- Unit two: Nutrition in health promotion -- Guidelines for healthy eating -- Consumer issues -- Cultural and religious influences on food and nutrition -- Healthy eating for healthy babies -- Nutrition for infants, children, and adolescents -- Nutrition for adults and older adults -- Unit three: Nutrition in clinical practice -- Obesity and eating disorders -- Feeding patients: hospital food and enteral and parenteral nutrition -- Critical illness and hypermetabolic conditions -- Nutrition for patients with gastrointestinal disorders -- Nutrition for patients with cardiovascular disorders -- Nutrition for patients with diabetes mellitus -- Nutrition for patients with renal disorders -- Nutrition for patients with cancer or HIV/AIDS.
- 2011 SpringerHumbert, Philippe; Krutmann, Jean.This extraordinary reference describes the scientific basis, summarizes the existing evidence that functional food for skin really works, and addresses the key questions asked by dermatologists and patients when it comes to practical aspects of nutrition based strategies in clinical and cosmetical dermatology. It is believed that this helpful guide will become the golden standard, the 'bible' for this given topic, which will be used by dermatologists, industry people and interested patients.
- 2013 SpringerPatole, Sanjay.This book is a collection of state-of-the-art reviews on the various aspects of nutrition for the preterm neonate, by internationally renowned clinicians and researchers from Australia, UK, USA, Canada, and Italy. It provides the scientific basis and clinical perspective on the A to Z of enteral and parenteral nutrition for extremely preterm neonates, making it valuable for all involved in the care of this high-risk population. The topics covered range from the developmental physiology of the gastrointestinal tract, and early trophic feeds, to aggressive enteral and parenteral nutrition, and feeding under special conditions such as intrauterine growth restriction and chronic lung disease. Survival of extremely preterm neonates has improved significantly following the advances in neonatal intensive care. Extrauterine growth restriction is recognised as a serious and almost universal issue in this population. Considering the long term consequences of nutritional deficit and poor growth (e.g. neurodevelopmental impairment, short stature and metabolic disorders), optimising nutrition in the early postnatal life of the preterm neonate is crucial. However this is easier said than done considering the frequency of feed intolerance, fear of necrotising enterocolitis, and the hesitancy in adopting an aggressive approach to parenteral nutrition in this population. The simple and practical approach of this comprehensive and unique book makes it a must read for clinicians as well as researchers involved in neonatal intensive care. It is a useful resource for trainees in neonatology, paediatric gastroenterology, and neonatal nursing, and also for dieticians specialising in neonatal nutrition. Key features and content: · Developmental physiology of the gastrointestinal tract · Systematic review of the evidence in various aspects of nutrition for the preterm neonate · Evidence-based practice in nutrition for the preterm neonate · Current gaps in knowledge and directions for further research.
- 2015 KargerAlpers, David H.; Bier, Dennis M.; Gibney, Michael J.; Mann, Jim; Vorster, H. H.
- 2010 SpringerBray, George A.; Struble, Marie Boyle; Temple, Norman J.; Wilson, Ted.
- 2014 KargerLewis, James D.; Ruemmele, Frank M.; Wu, Gary D.A review of the epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease with a focus on diet, infections, and antibiotic exposure / Lewis, J.D. -- Current issues in the design of clinical trials in IBD / Feagan, B.G. -- The intestinal microbiota in inflammatory bowel diseases / Sartor, R.B. -- Genetics and innate and adaptive immunity in IBD / Zanello, G.; Kevans, D.; Goethel, A.; Silverberg, M.; Tyler, A.; Croitoru, K. -- Interplay of nutrients and microbial metabolites in intestinal immune homeostasis : differential and common mechanisms of immune regulation in the small bowel and colon / Perrigoue, J.; Das, A.; Mora, J.R. -- Diet, the gut microbiome, and the metabolome in IBD / Wu, G.D. -- Antibiotics, probiotics, and prebiotics in IBD / Bernstein, C.N. -- Fecal microbiota transplantation : an interest in IBD / Kahn, S.A.; Goeppinger, S.R.; Rubin, D.T. -- Enteral nutrition as treatment option for Crohn's disease : in kids only / Ruemmele, F.M.; Pigneur, B.; Garnier-Lenglin, H. -- Effects of exclusive enteral nutrition on bone mass, linear growth, and body composition in children with Crohn's disease / Sylvester, F.A. -- Exclusive enteral nutrition : clues to the pathogenesis of Crohn's disease / Levine, A. -- Current state of the art of medical foods / Blum, S. ; Brito, F. -- IBD therapy : new targets and unmet needs / Colombel, J.-F.
- 2002 CRCnetBASEChapman, C.; Henry, C. J. K.
- Nutrition in clinical practice : a comprehensive, evidence-based manual for the practitioner. 2nd ed.2008 OvidKatz, David L.; Friedman, Rachel S. C.Clinically relevant carbohydrate metabolism -- Clinically relevant fat metabolism -- Clinically relevant protein metabolism -- Overview of clinically relevant micronutrient metabolism -- Diet, weight regulation, and obesity -- Diet, diabetes mellitus, and insulin resistance -- Diet, atherosclerosis, and ischemic heart disease -- Diet and hypertension -- Diet and hemostasis -- Diet and cerebrovascular and peripheral vascular disease -- Diet and immunity -- Diet and cancer -- Diet and hematopoiesis: nutritional anemias -- Diet, bone metabolism, and osteoporosis -- Diet and respiratory diseases -- Diet and renal disease -- Diet and hepatobiliary disease -- Diet and common gastrointestinal disorders -- Diet, dyspepsia, and peptic ulcer disease -- Diet and rheumatologic disease -- Diet and neurologic disorders -- Diet and dermatoses -- Diet and wound healing -- Food allergy and intolerance -- Eating disorders -- Malnutrition and cachexia -- Diet, pregnancy, and lactation -- Diet and the menstrual cycle -- Diet and early development: pediatric nutrition -- Diet and adolescence -- Diet and senescence -- Ergogenic effects of foods and nutrients: diet and athletic performance -- Endocrine effects of diet: phytoestrogens -- Diet, sleep-wake cycles, and mood -- Diet and cognitive function -- Diet and vision -- Diet and dentition -- Hunger, appetite, taste, and satiety -- Health effects of chocolate -- Health effects of ethanol -- Health effects of coffee -- Macronutrient food substitutes -- Vegetarianism, veganism, and macrobiotic diets -- Culture, evolutionary biology, and the determinants of dietary preference -- Dietary recommendations for health promotion and disease prevention -- Models of behavior modification for diet and activity patterns and weight management -- Dietary counseling in clinical practice.
- Nutrition in clinical practice : a comprehensive, evidence-based manual for the practitioner. Third edition [3rd ed.].2015 OvidKatz, David L.; Friedman, Rachel S. C.; Lucan, Sean C."In nearly every level of treatment and counseling, care providers must take into account the effects of their patients' diets. Nutrition in Clinical Practice is written to guide health professionals in providing well-informed, compassionate, and effective dietary and weight-management counseling. This fully updated 3rd edition is edited by a leading authority in nutrition and preventive medicine. Practical and evidence-based, chapters address the effects of diet on health and a comprehensive array of illnesses, making it a vital and timely addition to any caregiver's library. Features: NEW data from hundreds of recent studies, NEW section: Contemporary Topics in Nutrition, Easy-reference format includes short chapters, links to current online articles, Contributors representing diverse expertise and practical experience with medical education, nutrition in clinical practice, and preventive medicine, Enhanced coverage of controversial topics, such as, the effects of sugar; health effects of obesity and the 'obesity paradox'; health effects of gluten and grains; nutritional therapy. Appendices includes ancillary materials such as clinically relevant formulas, nutrition data tables, and patient specific meal planners, all fully updated. Now with the print edition, enjoy the bundled interactive eBook edition, offering tablet, smartphone, or online access to: Complete content with enhanced navigation, A powerful search tool that pulls results from content in the book, your notes, and even the web, Cross-linked pages, references, and more for easy navigation, Highlighting tool for easier reference of key content throughout the text, Ability to take and share notes with friends and colleagues, Quick reference tabbing to save your favorite content for future use."-- Provided by publisher.
- v.1-2=, 2013 Springerv.2 (2013) SpringerGrimble, George; Preedy, Victor R.; Watson, Ronald R.; Zibadi, Sherma.
- 2013 KargerSinger, Pierre.From mitochondrial disturbances to energy requirements / P. Singer -- Protein metabolism and requirements / G. Biolo -- How to choose the route / I. Grecu -- How to prescribe nutritional support using computers / M.M. Berger -- Oral feeding / A. Alvárez-Falcón, S. Ruiz-Santana -- Enteral nutrition / R. Anbar -- Parenteral nutrition / R. Thibault, C. Pichard -- Can nutrition support interfere with recovery from acute critical illness? / R.C. Schulman, J.I. Mechanick -- Glucose control / J.-C. Preiser -- Glutamine / M. Kim, P.E. Wischmeyer -- Leucine and citrulline : two major regulators of protein turnover / L. Cynober, J.-P. de Bandt, C. Moinard -- The surgical/trauma patient / A. Weimann -- Nutrition and sepsis / J. Cohen, W.D.N. Chin -- The renal failure patient / W. Druml -- N-3 fatty acids and y-linolenic acid supplementation in the nutritional support of ventilated patients with acute lung injury or acute respiratory distress syndrome / S. Lev, P. Singer -- Obesity / D.C. Frankenfield -- Nutritional imbalances during extracorporeal life support / I. Kagan, P. Singer -- Nutrition in pancreatitis / S.A. McClave -- Which nutritional regimen for the comorbid complex intensive care unit patient? / P. Singer, H. Weinberger, B. Tadmor -- Nutrition support for wound healing in the intensive care unit patient / M. Theilla.
- 2014 SpringerBurrowes, Jerrilynn D.; Byham-Gray, Laura; Chertow, Glenn M.Nutrition in Kidney Disease, Second Edition addresses the relationships between nutrition and (1) normal kidney function and disease, (2) the progressiveness of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and strategies to prevent further compromise, and (3) the treatment and management of kidney failure especially during medical crises, such as acute kidney injury and its consequent nutritional therapies (e.g., enteral and parenteral nutrition). Demographic patterns, trends and outcomes in the current health care systems are explored in the United States and abroad. Disease prevention and management are presented over the entire lifespan, beginning with pregnancy, followed by infancy, childhood, adolescence, and adulthood, concluding with the elder years. Foundations for clinical practice are established by devoting a complete section towards conducting a comprehensive nutritional assessment, comprising of anthropometric, biochemical, clinical, physical parameters and psychosocial concerns unique to the kidney disease population. Nutritional therapy is also discussed across the spectrum of kidney disease, and pertinent aspects critical to successful management of disorders and conditions, such as bone disease, obesity, and nephrotic syndrome are explored. Nutrition in Kidney Disease, Second edition highlights cutting edge research in regards to exercise and functional outcomes, malnutrition and the inflammatory response, experimental therapies, and the use of complementary and alternative medicine, with a special emphasis on relevant preventative strategies.
- 2008 SpringerBurrowes, Jerrilynn D.; Byham-Gray, Laura; Chertow, Glenn M.
- 2014 SpringerChung, Youngran; Dumont, Robert.Nutrition in Pediatric Pulmonary Disease is a much needed resource for practitioners that provides a basic understanding of nutrition and nutritional supplements; their impact on physiologic function and how this can be applied for general health maintenance as well as a supplemental treatment for pulmonary diseases. This book provides information on (1) basics of nutrition, supplements and herbs and how they influence physiology (2) their application and potential use for various pulmonary diseases along with evidence regarding efficacy and safety. Also examined are (3) how diet, dietary supplements and herbs are integrated together for treatment and prevention of pulmonary disease. Finally (4) several health promoting diets and their potential benefits to patients with pulmonary diseases will be discussed. Nutrition in Pediatric Pulmonary Disease is an excellent new resource for practicing physicians who are interested in incorporating more nutritional approaches to treating their patients.
- 2007 CRCnetBASESpark, Arlene J.
- 2012 CRCnetBASELin, Pao-Hwa; Svetkey, Laura P."Aiming to increase awareness, this book covers measures to prevent health conditions and diseases that are associated with high blood pressure. The first section provides a comprehensive review of diet, nutrition, lifestyle, and blood pressure control. It also discusses the consequences of high blood pressure, including heart disease, kidney disease, diabetes, and stroke. The second section focuses on implementation of strategies to promote behavioral changes for blood pressure control. The final section addresses key subgroup populations and situations that require special considerations. Case studies demonstrate how lifestyle factors can be changed to control blood pressure"-- Provided by publisher.
- 2015 SpringerBernstein, Laurie E.; Helm, Joanna R.; Rohr, Fran.Background: Introduction to Genetics -- Expanded Newborn Screening for Inherited Metabolic Diseases -- Nutrition Education -- Pathophysiology of Inherited Metabolic Disease -- Metabolic Intoxication Syndrome in a Newborn -- Anabolism: Practical Strategies -- Protein Requirements in Inherited Metabolic Diseases -- Laboratory Evaluations in Inherited Metabolic Diseases. Aminoacidopathies: Phenyketonuria: Phenylalanine Neurotoxicity -- Phenylketonuria: The Diet Basics -- Understanding Large Neutral Amino Acids and the Blood Brain Barrier -- Tetrahydrobiopterin Therapy in Phenylketonuria -- Maternal Phenylketonuria -- Homocystinuria: Diagnosis and Management -- Nutrition Management of Urea Cycle Disorders -- Nutrition Management of Maple Syrup Urine Disease. Organic Acidemias: Organic Acidemias -- Glutaric Acidemia Type 1: Diagnosis and Management -- Nutrition Management of Glutaric Acidemia Type 1 -- Nutrition Management of Propionic Acidemia and Methylmalonic Acidemia -- Nutrition Management during Pregnancy: Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Propionic Acidemia and Urea Cycle Disorders. Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders: Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders -- Nutrition Studies in Long Chain Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders: Diet Composition and Monitoring -- Nutrition Management of Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders. Disorders of Carbohydrate Metabolism: Nutrition Management of Galactosemia -- Glycogen Storage Disease -- Nutrition Management of Glycogen Storage Disease Type 1.
- 2007 KargerCooke, Richard J.; Vandenplas, Yvan; Wahn, U.The development of atopic phenotypes: genetic and environmental determinants / Wahn, U. ... [et al.] -- Food allergy to proteins / Nowak-Wegrzyn, A. -- Hypoallergenicity: a principle for the treatment of food allergy / Beyer, K. -- The concept of hypoallergenicity for atopy prevention / von Berg, A. -- The concept of oral tolerance induction to foods / Lack, G. -- Chronic enteropathy: molecular basis / Ruemmele, F.M. -- Chronic enteropathy: clinical aspects / Gibbons, T.; Fuchs, G.J. -- Transition from parenteral to enteral nutrition / Milla, P.J. -- Chronic entereropathy and feeding / Salvatore, S.; Hauser, B.; Vandenplas, Y. -- Stressed mucosa / Davidson, G.; Kritas, S.; Butler, R. -- Nutrition for children with cholestatic liver disease / Los, E.L. ... [et al.] -- Nutrient requirements of premature infants / Ziegler, E.E. -- Nutritional assessment in preterm infants / Griffin, I.J. -- Early aggressive nutrition in very preterm infants / Thureen, P.J. -- Discussion on 'Human milk fortification' / Putet, G. -- Postdischarge nutrition of preterm infants: more questions than answers / Cooke, R.J.
- 2005 CRCnetBASECresci, Gail.Also available: Print – 2005
- 2012 CRCnetBASEOthersen, Jennifer Bohnstadt; Thomas, Lynn K."This book presents variations in nutritional therapy through the five stages of chronic kidney disease. Chapters cover history of renal disease management and pathophysiology; electrolyte and acid-based disorders; acute renal disease; dialysis techniques; children/adolescents with chronic kidney disease; pregnancy with chronic kidney disease; bone and mineral disorders management; drug-nutrient/drug supplements; endocrine and lipid management; anemia management; enteral and parenteral support; nutrition post transplant; and establishing quality of life improvement parameters. The text links clinical applications to the Kidney Foundation Outcome Quality Initiative resources and provides dietary and supplement recommendations"-- Provided by publisher.
- 2006 CRCnetBASEBronner, Felix.
- 2001 CRCnetBASERamakrishnan, Usha.
- 2001 CRCnetBASEDriskell, Judy A.; Wolinsky, Ira.
- 2016 hunger report : the nourshing effect : ending hunger, improving health, reducing inequality. — European nutrition and health report 2009 (106)
- European polysaccharide network of excellence (EPNOE) : research initiatives and results — Issues in complementary feeding (106)
- Lactic acid bacteria : microbiological and functional aspects. 4th ed. — Nutritional applications in exercise and sport (106)
- Nutritional assessment of athletes — Yeasts in food and beverages (103)
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more.
Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.MicroMedex: Premier pharmaceutical information source containing multiple databases and drug reference tools. Of particular value is DRUGDEX Evaluations, one of the most comprehensive drug sources available.DynaMed is a clinical information resource used by physicians to answer clinical questions quickly and easily at the point of care. Topics are updated daily as new evidence becomes available.Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings.A drug information resource containing: American Hospital Formulary System (AHFS), drug formulary for Lucile Packard Children's Hospital (LPCH) and Stanford Hospital & Clinics (SHC), Lexi-Drugs (adverse reactions, dosage and administration, mechanism of action, storage, use, and administration information), Lexi-Calc, Lexi-ID, Lexi-I.V. Compatibility (King Guide), Lexi-Interact, and Lexi-PALS.Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature (CINAHL) contains coverage of nursing and allied health literature.A knowledge database that provides access to topic reviews based on over 6000 clinically relevant articles. The evidence-based content, updated regularly, provides the latest practice guidelines in 59 medical specialtiesProvides critical assessments of systematic reviews compiled from a variety of medical journals.Selects from the biomedical literature original studies and systematic reviews that are immediately clinically relevant and then summarizes these articles in an enhanced abstract with expert commentary.
Multidisciplinary coverage of over 10,000 high-impact journals in the sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities, as well as international proceedings coverage for over 120,000 conferences.
Includes cited reference searching, citation maps, and an analyze tool.
Features systematic reviews that summarize the effects of interventions and makes a determination whether the intervention is efficacious or not.
Cochrane reviews are created through a strict process of compiling and analyzing data from multiple randomized control trials to ensure comprehensiveness and reliability.Provides systematic coverage of the psychological literature from the 1800s to the present through articles, book chapters and dissertations.BMJ Clinical Evidence. A clinical information tool built around systematic reviews summarizing the current state of knowledge about prevention and treatment of clinical conditions.PIER (Physicians' Information and Education Resource) is a Web-based decision-support tool designed for rapid point-of-care delivery of up-to-date, evidence-based guidance for primary care physicians.Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) provides access to 300,000 controlled trials that have been identified the Cochrane Collaboration.Provides drug information targeted for patients.A continually updating drug monograph.The National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC): A comprehensive database of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines and related documents.MedlinePlus: A repository of health information from the National Library of Medicine. Links are from trusted sites. No advertising, no endorsement of commercial companies or productsLPCH CareNotes via MicroMedex: Patient education handouts customized by LPCH clinical staffMicromedex Lab Advisor: Evidence based laboratory test informationA drug database organized by generic name, trade name and drug class.LPCH / Stanford Hospital Formulary.A goldmine of trusted consumer health information from the world's largest medical library.A trusted source of expert advice for and about kids, providing the information necessary to help patients and parents understand their unique needs.Provides patient handouts from the American Academy of Family Physician.Access to the Stanford Health Library for patients.Lane provides access to over 5,000 eBooks many of which provide helpful background material that will prepare you to better tackle primary literature.
Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities.
In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.
A web-based, decision support system for infectious diseases, epidemiology, microbiology and antimicrobial chemotherapy. The database, updated weekly, currently includes 337 diseases, 224 countries, 1,147 microbial taxa and 306 antibacterial (-fungal, -parasitic, -viral) agents and vaccines.
Over 10,000 notes outline the status of specific infections within each country.
Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers.
Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.