Books by Subject
View by page
- Acute topics in sport nutrition — Fluid and electrolytes in pediatrics a comprehensive handbook (100)
- Folate in health and disease. 2nd ed. — Methods of analysis for functional foods and nutraceuticals. 2nd ed. (100)
- Methods of analysis of food components and additives — Perinatal nutrition optimizing infant health and development (100)
- Persisting undernutrition in India causes, consequences and possible solutions — Yeasts in food and beverages (62)
- Methods of analysis of food components and additives 2005CRCnetBASE
- Microbial stress adaptation and food safety 2003CRCnetBASE
- Microbiological risk assessment in food processing 2002CRCnetBASE
- Milk and milk products in human nutrition 2011KargerThe role of milk during the life cycle - a global view
- Mineral components in foods 2007CRCnetBASEMineral components in food: analytical implications / M. Biziuk, J. Kuczynska -- Speciation of mineral components in food: analytical implications / A. Polatajko, J. Szpunar -- Criteria of evaluation of food trace analysis data / B. Szteke -- Chemometric techniques in analytical evaluation of food / P. Szefer -- Functional role of some minerals in foods / M. Nabrzyski -- Mineral components and their species in foods of animal origin and honeys / P. Szefer, M. Grembecka -- Mineral components and their species in plant foods, beverages, luxury food, spices and dietary food / P. Szefer, M. Grembecka -- Trace elements in wines / S. Galani-Nikolakaki, N. Kallithrakas-Kontos -- Heavy metals in food packagings / M. E. Conti -- Pollutants in food: metals and metalloids / C. Reilly -- Pollutants in food: radionuclides / Z. Oul-Dada -- Assessment of exposure to chemical pollutants in food and water / P.J. Peterson -- Metal contamination of dietary supplements / M.J. Slotnick, J.O. Nriagu.
- Modern dietary fat intakes in disease promotion 2010SpringerWestern diet and behavior: the Columbus concept -- The social context of dietary behaviors: the role of social relationships and support on dietary fat and fiber intake -- Social class, food intakes and risk of coronary artery disease in the developing world: the Asian paradox -- Social, cultural, economical, and practical factors -- Partially hydrogenated fats in the US diet and their role in disease -- Fatty acid ratios in free-living and domestic animals -- Is saturated fat bad? -- Alteration of human body composition and tumorigenesis by isomers of conjugated linoleic acid -- Insulin resistance and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease induced by conjugated linoleic acid in humans -- Dietary fat intake: promotion of disease in carotid artery disease: lipid lowering versus side effects of statins -- Recent cholesterol-lowering drug trials: new data, new questions -- Leptin and obesity: role in cardiac structure and dysfunction -- Cardiac structural and functional changes in genetically modified models of obesity -- Fat-modified dairy products and blood lipids in humans -- Modified milk fat reduces plasma triacylglycerol concentrations: health and disease effects -- Dietary supplements, cholesterol and cardiovascular disease -- Ill health effects of food lipids: consequences of inadequate food processing, storage and cooking -- Mycotoxins in human diet: a hidden danger -- Nutrition-toxicological dilemma on fish consumption -- Anthropogenic and naturally produced contaminants in fish oil: role in ill health -- Do modern Western diets play a role in myalgic encephalomyelitis? -- The role of modern Western diets in Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder -- The role of dietary rat in insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes -- Strategies to modify school-based foods to lower obesity and disease risk -- Selenium enigma: health implications of an inadequate supply -- Homocysteine: role in cardiovascular disease -- Dietary plant extracts to modify effects of high fat modern diets in health promotion -- Don't diet: adverse effects of the weight centered health paradigm -- Physical activity in diet-induced disease causation and prevention in women and men.
- Part I. Specific Dietary Components -- A. Major dietary constituents -- B. Minerals -- C. Vitamins -- D. Other compounds with health relevance -- Part II. Nutritional Roles in Integrated Biological Systems -- A. Nutrient-gene mechanisms -- B. Digestive, endocrine, immune, and neural mechanisms -- Part III. Nutritional Needs and Assessment During the Life Cycle and Physiologic Changes -- Part IV. Prevention and Management of Disease -- A. Obesity and diabetes -- B. Cardiovascular diseases -- C. Pediatric and adolescent disorders -- D. Disorders of the alimentary tract -- E. Nutritional management during cancer -- F. Skeletal and joint disorders -- G. Nutrition in surgery and trauma -- H. Behavioral, psychiatric, and neurologic disorders -- I. Other systemic disorders -- J. Food additives, hazards, and nutrient-drug interactions -- Part V. Nutrition of Populations -- A. Nutrition in a changing world.
- Modifying lipids for use in food 2006CRCnetBASEpt. 1. Understanding food lipid structure and composition -- pt. 2. Modifying lipids for use in food -- pt. 3. Applications of modified lipids in food.
- Molecular basis of human nutrition 2003CRCnetBASE
- More on Mediterranean diets 2007KargerModified Cretan Mediterranean diet in the prevention of coronary heart disease and cancer: an update / de Lorgeril, M., Salen, P. -- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase as a mediator of the positive health effects of Mediterranean diets and wine against metabolic syndrome / Leighton, F., Urquiaga, I. -- Effects of an omega-3-enriched Mediterranean diet (modified diet of Crete) versus a Swedish diet / Friberg, P., Johansson, M. -- Dietary fat intake of European countries in the Mediterranean area: an update / Marangoni, F., Martiello, A., Galli, C. -- The Mediterranean diet in Italy: an update / Rubba, P. ... [et al.] -- A Mediterranean diet is not enough for health: physical fitness is an important additional contributor to health for the adults of tomorrow / Castillo-Garzón, M.J. ... [et al.] -- Mediterranean diet in the Maghreb: an update / Zeghichi-Hamri, S., Kallithraka, S. -- Antioxidants in the Mediterranean diets: an update / Bogani, P., Visioli, F. -- Olive oil / Boskou, D. -- Melatonin in edible plants (phytomelatonin): identification, concentrations, bioavailability and proposed functions / Reiter, R.J. ... [et al.].
- This book describes in detail the multidisciplinary management of obesity, providing readers with a thorough understanding of the rationale for a multidisciplinary approach and with the tools required to implement it effectively. The emphasis is on a translational approach, starting from basic concepts and fundamental mechanisms of the pathology and clinical morbidity. Experts in the field discuss the full range of relevant topics, including the significance of physical exercise, psychological issues, nutritional strategies, pharmacological options, and bariatric surgery. Put another way, the book covers all aspects from the bench to the bedside. Physicians, scientists, and postgraduate students will all find it to be invaluable in understanding the causes and optimal management of obesity, which has rapidly become a major public health problem.
- NASH and nutritional therapy 2005Springer
- Neonatal pharmacology and nutrition update 2015KargerInfluence of maturation and growth on drug metabolism from fetal to neonatal to adult life / Lindemalm, S.; van den Anker, J.N. -- How to translate pharmacokinetic data into dosing recommendations / Krekels, E.H.J.; Knibbe, C.A.J.; Pokorna, P.; Tibboel, D. -- Pharmacovigilance in neonatal intensive care / Turner, M.A.; Hill, H. -- Neonatal formulations and additives / Allegaert, K.; Turner, M.A.; van den Anker, J.N. -- Modelling and simulation to support neonatal clinical trials / Khalil, F.M.N.; Loër, S. -- A systematic review of paracetamol and closure of patent ductus arteriosus : are we ready for prime time? / Hammerman, C.; Mimouni, F.B.; Bin-Nun, A. -- Formulation of preterm formula : what's in it, and why? / Mimouni, F.B. Aviv; Mandel, D.; Lubetzky, R. -- Neonatal pharmacotherapy : legal and regulatory issues / Bax, R.; Tomasi, P.
- Nitrite and nitrate in human health and disease 2011Springer
- Novel food ingredients for weight control 2007CRCnetBASEpt. 1. Food and obesity: 1. Lipid metabolism : its role in energy regulation and obesity / M. Leonhardt and W. Langhans ; 2. Hunger and satiety : relation to body weight control / H.F.J. Hendriks ... [et al.] ; 3. Glycaemic control, insulin resistance and obesity / I. Aeberli and M. Zimmermann ; 4. Controlling lipogenesis and thermogenesis and the use of ergogenic aids for weight control / A. Palou and M. L. Bonet ; 5. Food ingredients implicated in obesity : sugars and sweeteners / G. H. Anderson, T. Akhavan and R. Mendelson -- pt. 2. Ingredients from grains, fruits and vegetables for weight control: 6. b-Glucans / J.-A. Nazare ... [et al.] ; 7. Non-digestible oligosaccharides / N.M. Delzenne ... [et al.] ; 8. Resistant starch / A.M. Birkett and I.L. Brown ; 9. Modified carbohydrates with lower glycemic index / B.R. Hamaker, G. Zhang and M. Venkatachalam ; 10. Novel ingredients for weight loss: new developments / J.D. Stowell -- pt. 3. Dairy ingredients and lipids for weight control: 11. Dietary and supplemental calcium and its role in weight loss: weighing the evidence / G. Gerstner and M. de Vrese ; 12. Conjugated fatty acids, body composition and weight control / J.L. Sebedio ; 13. Omega-3 fatty acids and other polyunsaturated fatty acids and weight control / M. Sr_hede Winzell and B. Ahrn? ; 14. Medium-chain and structured triglycerides : their role in weight control / I. Rudkowska and P. J. H. Jones ; 15. Trans-free oils and fats / E. Flt_er and G. van Duijn.
- Novel food processing technologies 2005CRCnetBASE
- Nutraceutical and specialty lipids and their co-products 2006CRCnetBASE1. Nutraceutical and Specialty Lipids / Fereidoon Shahidi and S.P.J.N. Senanayake -- 2. Medium-Chain Triacylglycerols / Yaakob B. Che Man and Marina Abdul Manaf -- 3. Cereal Grain Oils / Roman Przybylski -- 4. Fruit Seed Oils / Liangli Yu, John W. Parry, and Kequan Zhou -- 5. Minor Specialty Oils / Frank D. Gunstone -- 6. Sphingolipids / Fang Fang, Hang Chen, Chi-Tang Ho, and Robert T. Rosen -- 7. Modification and Purification of Sphingolipids and Gangliosides / Scott Bloomer -- 8. Hydroxy Fatty Acids / Thomas A. McKeon, Charlotta Turner, Xiaohua He, Grace Chen, and Jiann-Tsyh Lin -- 9. Tree Nut Oils and Byproducts: Compositional Characteristics and Nutraceutical Applications / Fereidoon Shahidi and H. Miraliakbari -- 10. Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA) / Yao-wen Huang and Chung-yi Huang -- 11. Diacylglycerols (DAGs) and their Mode of Action / Brent D. Flickinger -- 12. Conjugated Linoleic Acids (CLAs): Food, Nutrition, and Health / Bruce A. Watkins and Yong Li -- 13. Occurrence of Conjugated Fatty Acids in Aquatic and Terrestrial Plants and their Physiological Effects / Bhaskar Narayan, Masashi Hosokawa, and Kazuo Miyashita -- 14. Marine Conjugated Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids / Yasushi Endo, Si-Bum Park, and Kenshiro Fujimoto -- 15. Marine Oils: Compositional Characteristics and Health Effects / Fereidoon Shahidi and H. Miraliakbari -- 16. Single-Cell Oils as Sources of Nutraceutical and Specialty Lipids: Processing Technologies and Applications / S.P.J.N. Senanayake and Jaouad Fichtali -- 17. Emulsions for the Delivery of Nutraceutical Lipids / Karlene S.T. Mootoosingh and Dérick Rousseau -- 18. Lipid Emulsions for Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) Use and as Carriers for Lipid-Soluble Drugs / Hu Liu and Lili Wang -- 19. Modified Oils / Frank D. Gunstone -- 20. Fat Replacers: Mimetics and Substitutes / Barry G. Swanson -- 21. Application of Functional Lipids in Foods / Charlotte Jacobsen, Maike Timm-Heinrich, and Nina Skall Nielsen -- 22. Application of Multistep Reactions with Lipases to the Oil and Fat Industry / Yuji Shimada, Toshihiro Nagao, and Yomi Watanabe -- 23. Structure-Related Effects on Absorption and Metabolism of Nutraceutical and Specialty Lipids / Armand B. Christophe -- 24. Lipid Oxidation in Specialty Oils / Karen Schaich -- 25. Trans Fatty Acids in Specialty Lipids / G.R. List, R.O. Adlof, and J.W. King -- 26. Tocopherols and Tocotrienols as Byproducts of Edible Oil Processing / Vitamin E: A New Perspective Andreas M. Papas -- 27. Plant Sterols and Steryl Esters in Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals / Nikolaus Weber and Kumar D. Mukherjee -- 28. Phospholipids/Lecithin: A Class of Nutraceutical Lipids / Frank T. Orthoefer and G.R. List -- 29. Centrifugal Partition Chromatography (CPC) as a New Tool for Preparative-Scale Purification of Lipid and Related Compounds / Udaya Wanasundara and Paul Fedec -- 30. Oilseed Medicinals: Applications in Drugs and Functional Foods / Robert D. Reichert.
- Nutraceutical proteins and peptides in health and disease 2006CRCnetBASESection I. Nutrient Absorption System -- Chapter 1. Nutraceutical Proteins and Peptides in Health and Disease: An Overview / Yoshinori Mine and Fereidoon Shahidi -- Chapter 2. Calcium Binding Peptides / David D. Kitts -- Chapter 3. Mineral-Binding Proteins and Peptides and Bioavailability of Trace Elements / D. Bouglé and S. Bouhallab -- Chapter 4. Cholesterol-Lowering Proteins and Peptides / Satoshi Nagaoka -- Chapter 5. Heavy-Metal-Binding Proteins / Jennifer Kovacs-Nolan and Yoshinori Mine -- Chapter 6. Tight-Junction-Modulatory Factors in Food / Makoto Shimizu and Akira Mori -- Section II. The Body's Defense System -- Chapter 7. Antimicrobial Peptides / Judy C.K. Chan and Eunice C.Y. Li-Chan -- Chapter 8. Bovine Milk Antibodies for Protection against Microbial Human Diseases / Hannu Korhonen and Pertti Marnila -- Chapter 9. Avian Immunoglobulin Y and Its Application in Human Health and Disease / Jennifer Kovacs-Nolan, Yoshinori Mine, and Hajime Hatta -- Chapter 10. Antiangiogenic Proteins, Peptides, and Amino Acids / Jack N. Losso and Hiba A. Bawadi -- Chapter 11. Relevance of Growth Factors for the Gastrointestinal Tract and Other Organs / Subrata Ghosh and Raymond J. Playford -- Chapter 12. Cystatin: A Novel Bioactive Protein / Soichiro Nakamura -- Section III. The Body's Regulating System -- Chapter 13. ACE Inhibitory Peptides / Hans Meisel, Daniel J. Walsh, Brian Murray, and Richard J. FitzGerald -- Chapter 14 Regulation of Bone Metabolism: Milk Basic Protein / Yukihiro Takada and Seiichiro Aoe -- Chapter 15. Anticariogenic Peptides / K.J. Cross, N.L. Huq, and E.C. Reynolds -- Chapter 16. The Potential Therapeutic Role of Fibrinolytic Enzymes from Food in Cardiovascular Disease / Ada H.-K. Wong and Yoshinori Mine -- Section IV. The Body's Nervous System -- Chapter 17. Opioid Peptides / Benjamin Guesdon, Lisa Pichon, and Daniel Tomé.
- Nutraceuticals and cancer 2012SpringerThis book is about Nutraceuticals in cancer therapy, specifically targeted and Adjuvant therapy. It shows several approaches for possibly reducing systemic toxicity. This book illustrates the role of several dietary agents, collectively called nutraceuticals or natural agents in the prevention and/or treatment of human malignancies known to be mediated through alterations in multiple molecular targets. This book contains sixteen chapters which begin with historical perspective on the value of natural agents in the prevention of human malignancies followed by a series of current topics on multiple nutraceuticals targeting multiple cancers. This collection would likely be useful for bringing newer generations with broader perspectives in launching cutting-edge innovative molecular research, which would certainly help in designing targeted clinical trials in order to realize the dream of customize strategies for the prevention and/or treatment of human malignancies without causing any systemic toxicity. Moreover, the knowledge gained would allow novel utilization of nutraceuticals as adjunct to both conventional chemotherapy and radiation therapy in order to improve the overall quality of life and survival of patients diagnosed with cancers.
- Nutraceuticals and health review of human evidence 2014CRCnetBASEBackground to nutraceuticals and human health / Dipanwita Dutta, Somdat Mahabir, and Yashwant V. Pathak -- Clinical trials of dietary supplements and cancer / Shanti D. Mahabir, Renjit Thomas, and Somdat Mahabir -- Curcumin in human cancer prevention and treatment / Adeeb Shehzad and Young Sup Lee -- Cancer prevention potential of diet and dietary supplements in epigenome modulation / Zdenko Herceg -- Role of dietary supplements in lowering ldl-cholesterol / Prabhjot Singh Nijjar -- Nutraceuticals and atherosclerosis : human trials. / Lina Badimon, Teresa Padro, and Gemma Vilahur -- Nutraceuticals in cardiovascular diseases : mechanisms and application / Srinivas M. Tipparaju, Jared Tur, and Siva K. Panguluri -- Potential of nutraceuticals against obesity complications / Kylie Conroy, Isobel Davidson, and Mary Warnock -- Role of nutraceutical supplements in the prevention and treatment of hypertension / Mark C. Houston -- Nutraceuticals in the treatment of metabolic syndrome / Francesco Visioli -- Medicinal herbs and dietary supplements in diabetes management / Poonam Tripathi and Awanish Kumar Pandey -- Nutrients for optimal lung function / Susan Ettinger -- Nutraceutical-gut microbiome interactions in human disease / Mukesh Verma -- Metabolic and potential health benefits of nutraceuticals on gut microbiome / Malay K. Das and Yashwant V. Pathak -- Nutraceuticals in the prevention of cognitive decline / Zhenzhen Zhang and L. Joseph Su -- Nutraceuticals in the prevention or treatment of parkinson's disease / Elizabeth Mazzio, Fran T. Close, and Karam F.A. Soliman -- Dietary supplements and other alternative substances for the treatment of multiple sclerosis / Angela Senders, Rebecca I. Spain, and Vijayshree Yadav -- Methodological issues conducting epidemiological research on nutraceuticals / Somdat Mahabir.
- Nutraceuticals in health and disease prevention 2001CRCnetBASE
- Nutrient-drug interactions 2007CRCnetBASEDiabetes, obesity, and metabolic syndrome -- Hypolipidemic therapy: drugs, diet, and interactive effects -- Phytochemicals, xenobiotic metabolism, and carcinogenesis -- Nutrient and phytochemical modulation of cancer treatment -- Role of nutritional antioxidants in the prevention and treatment of neurodegenerative disorders -- Nutrients and herbals in the pharmacotherapy of unipolar/major depression -- Supplements and anethesiology -- Nutrient-and drug-responsive polymorphic genes as nutrigenomic tools for prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer -- Nutrigenomics and pharmacogenomics of human cancer: on the road from nutrigenetics and pharmacogenetics.
- Nutrient-gene interactions in cancer 2006CRCnetBASE
- Nutrients and epigenetics 2009CRCnetBASEMethylation on the nucleosome / Da Jia and Xiaodong Cheng -- Mammalian DNA methyltransferases / Michael J. Boland and Judith K. Christman -- Chromatin remodeling and histone modifications / Gavin R. Schnitzler -- Nutrients and DNA methylation / Sang-Woon Choi, Roberto Corrocher, and Simonetta Friso -- Nutrients, histone modifications, and chromatin remodeling in chronic inflammation / Barbara Delage and Roderick H. Dashwood -- Nutrients, epigenetics, and embryonic development / Craig A. Cooney -- Nutrients, epigenetics, and aging / John C. Mathers and Dianne Ford -- Nutrition, epigenetics, and cancer / Sharon A. Ross -- Conclusions and future perspectives / Sang-Woon Choi and Simonetta Friso.
- Nutrients, dietary supplements, and nutriceuticals cost analysis versus clinical benefits 2011SpringerDesign of economic incentive instruments in nutrition policy -- Nutrition policy for the prevention of disease: issues of cost-effectiveness -- Economics of food fortification -- The economic value of dietary supplements: part I -- The economic value of dietary supplements: part II -- Fruit and vegetable prices, dietary intakes and income: potential cost versus benefit -- The role of ethnicity in shaping dietary patterns: a review on the social and psychological correlates of food consumption -- Low cost food, recovery and death in malnourished children -- Using price incentives to increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables among a low-income population -- Cost-effectiveness of nutritional interventions for bone health in children and young adults: what is known and where are the gaps? -- Economic evaluation of dental caries prevention programs using milk and its products as the vehicle for fluorides: cost versus benefits -- Cost effective natural antioxidants -- Zinc intervention strategies: costs and health benefits -- Multifaceted therapeutic value of roselle (hibiscus sabdariffa L. - malvaceae) -- The effectiveness and economical benefits of cosmetic treatments and procedures versus natural treatments and life style changes -- Antiviral potential of vegetables: can they be cost-effective agents for human disease? -- Citrus products and their use against bacteria: potential health and cost benefits -- Potential chemopreventive effects of fruits, vegetables, and spices consumed in Mexico -- Bioactive nutritional supplements for chronic kidney disease: potential cost benefits -- Preoperative immunonutrition: cost-benefit analysis -- Nutritional management of hypertension: cost versus benefit -- Cost-effectiveness analysis of the Mediterranean diet for persons after a heart attack -- Nutrition and the benefits of early interventions in diabetes, cardiovascular and noncommunicable diseases -- Cost-effectiveness of glycemic control: economic considerations with lifestyle modification versus pharmacologic therapy in achieving glycemic targets in type 2 diabetes mellitus -- Benefits of low glycemic and high satiety index foods for obesity and diabetes control and management -- Importance and benefits of lifestyles changes versus diabetes drugs in effective management of diabetes -- Cost of pycnogenol supplementation and traditional diabetes treatments per unit of improved health outcome -- Pycnogenol supplementation and cardiovascular health: treatment and cost-benefit analysis.
- Nutrients, stress, and medical disorders 2005SpringerStress revisited: a methodological and conceptual history / Martha M. Faraday -- Experimental protocols for the study of stress in animals and humans / Carla Gambarana -- Neurobiological foundations of stress / Michael R. Foy ... [et al.] -- The beneficial effects of fruit and vegetable supplementation on neuronal signaling and behavior in aging: beyond antioxidants / J.A. Joseph, B. Shukitt-Hale, and G. Casadesus -- Effects of stress and nutrition on blood-brain barrier functions / Akihiko Urayama and William A. Banks -- Essential fatty acids and stress / Shlomo Yehuda, Sharon Rabinovitz, and David I. Mostofsky -- Stress, glucocorticoids, and the brain / R.H. deRijk and E.R. de Kloet -- Herbal products, stress, and the mind / David Wheatley -- Stress and food craving / Sharon Rabinovitz -- Stress, alcohol consumption, and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis / Maria M. Glavas and Joanne Weinberg -- Influences on diet and stress across space and time: a contextual perspective / Daniel Kim and Ichiro Kawachi -- Nutrition and stress and the developing fetus / Rinat Armony-Sivan and Arthur I. Eidelman -- Lipids and depression / Basant K. Puri -- Nicotine, sleep, and depression / Javier Velázquez-Moctezuma and René Drucker-Colín -- Aggresssion, fish oil, and noradrenergic activity / Tomohito Hamazaki -- Stress in the pathogenesis of eating disorders and obesity / Gal Dubnov and Elliot M. Berry -- Effect of dietary hypercholesteremia on host immune response / Roger M. Loria -- Treatment of Huntington's disease with eicosapentaenoic acid / Basant K. Puri -- Major stressors in women's health: the role of nutrition / Adrianne Bendich and Ronit Zilberboim -- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and metabolic syndrome X / Undurti N. Das -- Dietary management of stress using amino acid supplements / Miro Smriga and Kunio Torii -- Conditioned nutritional requirements of the failing heart / Michael J. Sole -- Polyunsaturated fatty acids and neuro-inflammation / Sophie Layé and Robert Dantzer -- Pathophysiological effects of inflammatory mediators and stress on distinct memory systems / Lisa A. Teather -- The interactions between nutrition and inflammatory stress throughout the life cycle / Robert F. Grimble.
- Nutrigenomics 2005CRCnetBASE
- Nutrigenetics and nutrigenomics : importance for functional foods and personalized nutrition / Lynnette R. Ferguson -- Variations in solute transporter genes affecting micronutrient solute transport and human health / Peter Eck -- Genetic variants in the omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acid metabolic pathways : their role in the determination of nutritional requirements and chronic disease risk / Artemis P. Simopoulos -- Nutrigenomic approaches to unravelling the physiological effects of complex foods / Peter J. Gillies and John P. Vanden Heuvel -- Modulating the risk of cardiovascular disease through nutrigenetics / Antonio Garcia-Rios ... [et al.] -- Modulating the risk of obesity and diabetes through nutrigenetics / Helen M. Roche and Catherine Phillips -- Nutrigenetics and Crohn's disease -- / Lynnette R. Ferguson -- Microbiome and host interactions in inflammatory bowel diseases : relevance for personalized nutrition / Wayne Young, Bianca Knoch, and Nicole C. Roy -- The importance of cell-specific gene expression patterns for understanding nutrient and gene interactions in inflammatory bowel diseases / Anna Russ ... [et al.] -- Data mining and network analysis : potential importance in nutrigenomics research / Varma Vijayalakshmi and Jim Kaput -- Metabolomics : an important tool for assessing state of health and risk of disease in nutrigenomics research / Hui Ming Lin and Daryl Rowan -- Epigenetics : what role could this play in functional foods and personalised nutrition? / Matthew P.G. Barnett, Shalom A. Bassett, and Emma Bermingham -- Foodomics to study efficacy of human dietary interventions : proof of principle study / Stephanie Ellett ... [et al.] -- Considerations in estimating genotype in nutrigenetic studies / Angharad R. Morgan -- Bringing nutrigenomics to the food industry : industry-academia partnerships as an important challenge / Ralf C. Schlothauer and Joerg Kistler -- Commercialisation of nutrigenetics and nutrigenomics / Virginia Parslow and Lynnette R. Ferguson -- Bringing nutrigenomics to the public : Is direct-to-consumer testing the future of nutritional genomics? / David Castle -- Nutritional genomics in practice : interaction with health professionals in bringing nutritional genomics to the public / Colleen Fogarty Draper -- Harvesting normative potential for nutrigenomic research / Bart Penders and Michiel Korthals -- Public health context for nutrigenomics and personalized nutrition / Elizabeth H. Marchlewicz, Karen E. Peterson, and Filbert S. Omenn -- Nutrigenomics and public health / Maria Agelli and John Milner.
- Nutrigenomics--opportunities in Asia 2007KargerNutrition in the 'omics' era / J.A. Milner -- Nutrigenetics / A. El-Sohemy -- Epigenomics and nutrition / L. Cobiac -- Early nutrition: impact on epigenetics / J.C. Mathers -- Nutrition and genome health / M. Fenech -- Nutrition: ethics and social implications / I.H. Slamet-Loedin, U.A. Jenie -- Proteomics / V. Thongboonkerd -- Diet and genomic stability / G.P. Young -- High-throughput genotyping / J.E. Lee -- Nutrient-gene interactions in lipoprotein metabolism - overview / J.M. Ordovas, D. Corella, J. Kaput -- The genetics of lipoprotein metabolism and heart disease / E.S. Tai -- Gene-environment interactions and the diabetes epidemic in India / V. Mohan ... [et al.] -- Gene expression in low glycemic index diet - impact on metabolic control / E. Takeda ... [et al.] -- Genetic polymorphisms in folate-metabolizing enzymes and risk of gastroesophageal cancers: a potential nutrient-gene interaction in cancer development / D. Lin ... [et al.] -- Dietary quercetin inhibits proliferation of lung carcinoma cells / H. Hung -- Osteoporosis: the role of genetics and the environment / B. Ongphiphadhanakul -- Application of nutrigenomics in eye health / C. Delcourt -- Nutrigenomics of taste - impact on food preferences and food production / A. El-Sohemy ... [et al.] -- Prospects for improving the nutritional quality of dairy and meat products / S.G. Coffey -- Functionality of probiotics - potential for product development / J. Dekker ... [et al.] -- Developing the promise of nutrigenomics through complete science and international collaborations / J. Kaput -- ILSI's first international conference on nutrigenomics: oppotunities in Asia / R.F. Florentino.
- Nutrition and aging 2002KargerThe Mitochondrial Genome, Aging and Neurodegenerative Disorders / D.A. Cottrell, D.M. Turnbull (Newcastle upon Tyne) -- Effects of Caloric Restriction on Gene Expression / R. Weindruch, T. Kayo, C.-K. Lee, T.A. Prolla (Madison, Wisc.) -- Early Life Effects on Aging / A. Aihie Sayer, C. Cooper (Southampton) -- Impaired Regulation of Energy Intake in Old Age / S.B. Roberts (Boston, Mass.) -- Aging and Body Composition / J.J. Kehayias (Boston, Mass.) -- Insulin Resistance: A Genetic Approach. Overview / M.T. Martinez Larrad, J.L. Gonzalez Sanchez, M. Serrano Rios (Madrid) -- Functional Changes in the Gastrointestinal System / S. Hirsch, M.P. de la Maza (Santiago) -- The Impact of Nutrition on Bone Health: New Concepts / P. Burckhardt (Lausanne) -- Nutrition and Cognition in Older Persons / J.E. Morley (St. Louis, Mo.) -- Known Related Effects of Nutrition on Aging Muscle Function / H. Payette (Sherbrooke) -- Exercise, Sarcopenia, Cognition, and Mood / R. Roubenoff (Boston, Mass.) -- The 2001 Assessment of Nutritional Influences on Risk of Cataract / A. Taylor, M. Hobbs (Boston, Mass.) -- Age-Related Changes in Hydration / M.J. Arnaud (Vittel) -- Nutrition and the Aging Immune Response / 0. Adolfsson, S.N. Meydani (Boston, Mass.) -- Physical Assessment for Aging Prediction / M. Ferry (Valence), B. Lesourd (Clermont-Ferrand), P. Pftizenmeyer (Dijon) -- Rationale for Tests of the Neuropsychiatric Effects of Nutrient Deficiency / M. Folstein, T. Scott (Boston, Mass.).
- Nutrition and bone health. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2015SpringerThis newly revised edition contains updated versions of many of the topics that were in the first edition and has been substantially expanded with an additional 5 chapters. Each chapter includes information from the most up-to-date research on how nutritional factors can affect bone health, written with an evidence-based focus and complete with comprehensive references for each subject. Nutrition and Bone Health, second edition covers all aspects of nutrition and the skeleton, from the history and fundamentals, to the effects of macronutrients, minerals, vitamins, and supplements, and even covers the effects of lifestyle, the different life stages, and nutrition-related disorders and secondary osteoporosis. Hot topics include the vitamin K story, nutraceuticals and new information about biomechanics of bone. New chapters include HIV & AIDs and the skeleton, celiac disease and bone health, and nutrition and bone health in space. Nutrition and Bone Health, second edition is a necessary resource for health care professionals, medical students, graduate students, dietitians, and nutritionists who are interested in how nutrition affects bone health during all stages of life.
- Nutrition and cancer prevention 2006CRCnetBASE
- Nutrition and diabetes pathophysiology and management 2006CRCnetBASE
- Nutrition and diet in menopause 2013SpringerOverview and General Aspects -- An Overview of the Extent and Nature of Menopause and Its Physiological Basis / Yvonne T. van der Schouw -- Body Composition and Menopausal Transition: A Bioanthropological Perspective / Sylvia Kirchengast M.A., -- Menopause-Related Physiological Changes and Their Possible Control Through Diet and Exercise / Igor Z. Zubrzycki, D.Sc., Magdalena Wiacek, Ted Greiner -- The Role of Polyphenols in Menopause / Isabel Baeza, Mónica De la Fuente -- Bone and Muscle -- Intestinal Calcium Absorption Efficiency in Women and the Influence of Menopause / John Aloia, Albert Shieh -- Calcium Absorption from Fortified Soymilk in Osteopenic Postmenopausal Women / Lily Stojanovska, Anne Lise Tang -- Postmenopausal Homocysteine, Vitamin B12, Folate Levels and Bone Metabolism: A Focus on Fractures / Berna Haliloglu, Hakan Peker -- Antioxidant Vitamins and Carotenoids Associated with Bone Mineral Density in Postmenopause Female Subjects: Japanese Perspectives / Minoru Sugiura -- Soy Protein Isoflavones and Their Effect on Bone in Postmenopausal Women / J. Christopher Gallagher, Vinod Yalamanchili -- S-equol, a Natural Metabolite of Soy Daidzein, for the Treatment of Menopausal Symptoms and Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women / Richard L. Jackson, Jeffrey S. Greiwe, Richard J. Schwen -- Tofu in Menopause Therapy and Prevention / Wangjing Ke M.P.H., Ronald Ross Watson -- Dietary Phytoestrogens in Preventing Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women: Italian Aspects / Luigi Mario Chiechi -- Curcumin and Its Potential Effects on the Development of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis / Joanna Folwarczna -- Menopause and Sarcopenia: Dietary and Nutritional Aspects / Sébastien Barbat-Artigas, Mylène Aubertin-Leheudre -- Cardiovascular System, Metabolism and Cancer -- Effects of Flaxseed on Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Menopause / Maureen Meister, Brenda J. Smith, Bahram H. Arjmandi -- Magnesium Metabolism in Menopause / S. S. Avinash,, Sreekantha, -- Effect of Folic Acid Supplementation in Postmenopausal Women / Giancarlo Paradisi, Francesca Ianniello, Francesca Basile -- Use of Diet and Myoinositol in Postmenopausal Women: A New Approach to the Metabolic Syndrome / Rosario D'Anna, Maria Lieta Interdonato -- Leptin and Obesity in Ovarian Dysfunction in Menopause / Patrick Rene Diel, Carmen Weigt -- Fat and Fat Distribution in Menopause: Chinese Aspects / Xiaoguang Ma, Wei He, Shankuan Zhu -- Nutrition and Breast Cancer in Premenopausal and Postmenopausal Women in Uruguay / Alvaro L. Ronco, Eduardo De Stéfani -- Obesity, Nutrition, and Cancer in Menopause: European Perspectives / Krasimira Aleksandrova -- Vitamin D and the Menopause: A Focus on Apoptosis in Cancer / Henk R. Franke -- Gynecological Malignancies and Diet in Menopause: From the Biological and Epidemiological Viewpoints / Kiyoshi Ito, Hironobu Sasano, Nobuo Yaegashi -- Psychological Aspects and Cognitive Function -- The Psychology of the Menopause: The Experiences During the Transition and Individual Conceptualization of Menopause / Eleonora Bielawska-Batorowicz -- Cognitive Decline in Menopause / Cristina Larroy, Rosa Vera -- An Overview of Menopausal Dietary Supplements and Cognition / Yuri N. Clement -- Black Cohosh for the Menopausal Transition: Issues of Safety and Efficacy / Gail B. Mahady -- Preclinical Studies: Implications for Human Health -- Animal Models of Menopausal Metabolism / Jameela Banu, Gabriel Fernandes -- Phytoestrogen α-Zearalanol in an Animal Model of Menopause / Wen Wang -- Flaxseed and Bone Health in Animal Models of Menopause / Wendy Elizabeth Ward, Lilian U. Thompson -- Flavonoids of Herba Epimedii and Bone Metabolism in Experimental Ovarian Deficiency / Man-Sau Wong, Yan Zhang -- Dietary Plant Maslinic Acid in Ovariectomy Model of Menopause / Jian Luo, Mingyao Liu -- Interlinking Diet, Nutrition, Menopause and Recommended Resources / Roshanna Rajendram B.Sc. (hons)
- Nutrition and exercise concerns of middle age 2009CRCnetBASESection I. Introduction -- Introduction: nutrition and exercise concerns of middle age / Judy A. Driskell -- Section II. Energy-yielding nutrients -- Carbohydrates / Michael S. Green and J. Andrew Doyle -- Lipids / Sarah J. Ehlers, Heather E. Rasmussen, and Ji-Young Lee -- Proteins / Brian S. Snyder and Mark D. Haub -- Section III. Vitamins -- Fat-soluble vitamins / Maria Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis and Gayatri Borthakur -- Vitamin C / Herb E. Schellhorn and Yi Li -- B-vitamins / George U. Liepa ...[et al.] -- Section IV. Minerals -- Major minerals--calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus / Forrest H. Nielsen -- Iron / Emily M. Haymes -- Trace elements excluding iron--chromium and zinc / Henry C. Lukaski and Angus G. Scrimgeour -- Section V. Fluids and hydration -- Fluids, electrolytes, and hydration / Douglas S. Kalman -- Section VI. Other commonly consumed substances -- Caffeine and tannins / Joy Kandiah and Valerie A. Amend -- Herbal supplements / Jidong Sun and David W. Giraud -- Section VII. Recreational activities -- Endurance training / Shawn R. Simonson and Catherine G. Ratzin-Jackson -- Resistance training / Robert J. Moffatt, Jacob M. Wilson, and Tait Lawrence -- Section VIII. Age-related disorders -- Cardiovascular issues / Susan Hazels Mitmesser -- Cancer / Farid E. Ahmed.
- Nutrition and fitness from the first Olympiad in 776 BC to the 21st century and the concept of positive health / Simopoulos, A.P. -- Omega-3 fatty acids, exercise, physical activity, and athletics / Simopoulos, A.P. -- Omega-6 fatty acids and excessive adipose tissue development / Ailhaud, G. -- Non-conventional genetic risk factors for cardiovascular disease / Allayee, H. -- ApoE genotype : impact on health, fitness, and nutrition / Angelopoulos, T.J., Lowndes, J.-- Nutrition in the prevention of chronic diseases / Tapsell, L.C., Probst, Y.C. -- Exercise and obesity : lifestyle modification as a means in prevention and treatment / Pavlou, K.N. -- Nutritional risk factors for gastrointestinal cancers : the multiethnic cohort study / Kolonel, L.N. -- Mediterranean food and diets, global resource for the control of metabolic syndrome and chronic diseases / Urquiaga, I. ... [et al.] -- The role of government in nutrition and fitness / Bourne, P.G.-- Balancing the scales : a common-sense look at global nutrition problems and what can be done about them / Clay, W.D. -- Historical perspective : the antiquity of exercise, exercise physiology and the exercise prescription for health / Tipton, C.M. -- Declaration of Olympia on nutrition and fitness : ancient Olympia, Greece, May 28-29, 1996.
- Nutrition and fitness. Part 1, Obesity, the metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease, and cancer 2005KargerCriteria and classification of obesity in Japan and Asia-Oceania / M. Kanazaw ... [et al.] - Exercise and obesity in China / C. Chang -- Obesity in childhood: the Greek experience / A. Kafatos, C.A. Codrington, M. Linardakis -- Epidemiology of physical activity from adolescence to young adulthood / D.J. Aaron, Y.S. Jekal, R.E. Laporte -- Adolescent obesity and physical activity / N. Hwalla, A.M. Sibai, N. Adra -- Nutrition and physical activity of the population in Serbia / M. Pavlovic, V. Grujic, A. Oshaug -- Physical activity and body composition / D. Andreoli, A. De Lorenzo -- Syndrome X: clinical aspects / D. Labadarios -- Metabolic syndrome: is there a pathophysiological common denominator?: lessons learned from the Pima Indians / P.A. Tataranni -- Lifestyle-gene-drug interactions in relation to the Metabolic syndrome / L. Storlien ... [et al.] -- Coronary heart disease, genetics, nutrition and physical activity / M.B. Donati, I. Iacoviello -- Role of nutrients and physical activity in gene expression / R. De Caterina, R. Madonna -- Physical activity and hypertension: an overview / G.P. Rontoyannis -- Omega-3 fatty acids and ventricular arrhythmias / A. Leaf, J.X. Kang, Y.-F. Xiao -- A method for the direct evaluation of the fatty acid status in a drop of blood from a fingertip in humans: application to population studies and correlations with biological parameters / F. Marangoni, C. Colombo, C. Galli -- Measurement error in the assessment of interaction between dietary and genetic factors in cohort studies of cancer / S.A. Bingham -- Cancer frequency in poor rural communities consuming a very limited diet / M. Muñoz Rivera ... [et al.] -- Omega-6/omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids ratio and breast cancer / P. Bougnoux, V. Maillard, V. Chajés -- Fish, [omega]-3 polyunsaturated fat intake and cancer at selected sites / A. Tavani ... [et al.] -- Cancer risk reduction by physical exercise / A. Willer.
- Nutrition and fitness. Part 2, Mental health, aging, and the implementation of a healthy diet and physical activity lifestyle 2005Karger
- Nutrition and gastrointestinal disease 2008Springer
- Nutrition and growth 2013Karger"Growth as an indicator of health is more sensitive than commonly believed and can serve as an early sign of imbalance, before other malfunctions manifest themselves. Particularly in developing countries, growth failure in infants and children is related to mortality, morbidity and impaired brain development, and increases the risk of adult-onset non-communicable diseases. This publication focuses on the challenges of the interaction between nutrition and growth in the pediatric age group. Subjects covered include the interplay between nutrition and the IGF axis; early feeding and later growth; growth charts (including an update on the implementation of the WHO growth standards); various aspects of obesity; nutrition and growth of premature infants and of children with specific diseases; and the interaction between bone health, nutrition and growth. Containing lectures from the '1st International Conference on Nutrition and Growth' (Paris 2012), this book is a valuable source of information for pediatricians, nutritionists, neonatologists, and experts in child development."--Publisher's website.
- Nutrition and health 2002CRCnetBASE
- Nutrition and mental health 2013CRCnetBASEHistorical perspective -- Addiction, food, alcohol, and caffeine -- Aggression, anger, hostility, and violence -- Autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) -- Genetics, nutrition, and inherited disorders of metetabolism -- Intellect, cognition, and dementia -- Mood disorders : depression, bipolar disorder, and suicide -- Schizophrenia -- Starvation, eating disorders, craving, dieting, and bariatric surgery -- Quality of life, well-being, and stress.
- Nutrition and Oral Medicine, Second Edition addresses the complex, multifaceted relationships between nutrition and oral health, explores proposed relationships between oral, systemic and nutritional well-being and provides insights into interprofessional, comprehensive care for individuals. Chapters focus on diet, nutrition and oral health promotion and disease prevention across the lifespan, oral and dental diseases and disorders, oral manifestations of systemic diseases, and discussions of the synergy between oral tissues and nutrients. Cutting edge research issues regarding the relationship of individual antioxidants, trace elements, polyphenols and other nutrient substrates and oral health/disease, nutrigenomics, screening for nutrition and oral risk and other areas are covered in detail. Editors and authors include experts in nutrition and oral health from around the world. Nutrition and Oral Medicine, Second Edition is a invaluable resource for health professionals in the fields of nutrition and dentistry as well as other disciplines whose research, practice and education includes nutrition and oral medicine. It is an excellent resource for graduate level nutrition and dental students, dental and nutrition practitioners, educators and researchers as well as other health professionals.
- Nutrition and rheumatic disease 2008Springer
- Vitamin A and the Skin -- Relevance of the Cutaneous Vitamin D Endocrine System for Skin Physiology and Treatment of Skin Diseases -- Photoprotection of the Skin with Vitamins C and E: Antioxidants and Synergies -- Carotenoids and Skin -- Antioxidants and Skin -- Minerals and the Skin -- Minerals and the Skin -- Probiotics and Skin -- Introduction and Overview -- Diet and Acne -- Glycemic Load and Acne -- Essential Fatty Acids and Atopic Dermatitis -- Hair Biology and Nutritional Influences -- Detecting and Monitoring Nutrients on Skin Using Noninvasive Methods -- Nutritional Clinical Studies in Dermatology.
- Chemopreventive compounds in the diet / Schreier, P. -- Vitamin C, vitamin E and flavonoids / Janisch, K.M. ... [et al.] -- Macular carotenoids: lutein and zeaxanthin / Stahl, W. -- Selenium, selenoproteins and vision / Flohé, L. -- Nutritional supplementation to prevent cataract formation / Meyer, C.H.; Sekundo, W. -- Nutrition and retina / Schmidt-Erfurth, U.
- Nutrition and the strength athlete 2001CRCnetBASE
- Nutrition and type 2 diabetes etiology and prevention 2014CRCnetBASE"Focusing on the worldwide impact of type 2 diabetes regarding nutrition, dietary modification, risk, and management, this book draws on evidence-based research and provides numerous epidemiologic cohort studies, as well as carefully conducted clinical trials. Chapters correlate treatment modes and risk factors as well as the global impact of nutrition back to the basic premise held in the etiology of the disease. Topics include historical perspectives; macronutrients, micronutrients, food, dietary beverages, and dietary patterns; diet-gene interactions; and the role of age, ethnicity, and other demographics in modifying treatment for type 2 diabetes"--Provided by publisher.
- Nutrition and wound healing 2007CRCnetBASEOverview of nutrition and wound healing / Joseph A. Molnar -- Carbohydrates and wound healing / Carol Ireton-Jones, George U. Liepa -- Fat and wound healing / John J. Turek -- Protein and wound healing / Maggie L. Dylewski and Yong-Ming Yu -- Glutamine and wound healing / Mark B. Schoemann ... [et al.] -- Arginine and wound healing / Vanita Ahuja, Majida Rizk, and Adrian Barbul -- B vitamins and wound healing / George U. Liepa ... [et al.] -- Vitamin C and wound healing / Hideharu Tanaka and Joseph A. Molnar -- Fat-soluble vitamins and wound healing / Michelle M. Gottschlich -- Trace elements and wound healing / Thomas G. Baumgartner -- Nutrition and wound healing in burns, trauma, and sepsis / Corilee A. Watters, Edward E. Tredgett, and Carmelle Cooper -- Nutrition and wound healing in cancer / Perry Shen and Shayn Martin -- Nutrition and wound healing at the age extremes / Hannah G. Piper, Tom Jaksic, and Patrick J. Javid -- Pharmacologic manipulation of the healing wound: the role of hormones / Robert H. Demling.
- Unit one: Principles of nutrition -- Nutrition in nursing -- Carbohydrates -- Protein -- Lipids -- Vitamins -- Water and minerals -- Energy metabolism -- Unit two: Nutrition in health promotion -- Guidelines for healthy eating -- Consumer issues -- Cultural and religious influences on food and nutrition -- Healthy eating for healthy babies -- Nutrition for infants, children, and adolescents -- Nutrition for adults and older adults -- Unit three: Nutrition in clinical practice -- Obesity and eating disorders -- Feeding patients: hospital food and enteral and parenteral nutrition -- Critical illness and hypermetabolic conditions -- Nutrition for patients with gastrointestinal disorders -- Nutrition for patients with cardiovascular disorders -- Nutrition for patients with diabetes mellitus -- Nutrition for patients with renal disorders -- Nutrition for patients with cancer or HIV/AIDS.
- Nutrition in nursing -- Carbohydrates -- Protein -- Lipids -- Vitamins -- Water and minerals -- Energy balance -- Guidelines for healthy eating -- Consumer issues -- Cultural and religious influences on food and nutrition -- Healthy eating for healthy babies -- Nutrition for infants, children, and adolescents -- Nutrition for older adults -- Obesity and eating disorders -- Feeding patients : oral diets and enteral and parenteral nutrition -- Nutrition for patients with metabolic or respiratory stress -- Nutrition for patients with upper gastrointestinal disorders -- Nutrition for patients with disorders of the lower GI tract and accessory organs -- Nutrition for patients with diabetes mellitus -- Nutrition for patients with cardiovascular disorders -- Nutrition for patients with kidney disorders -- Nutrition for patients with cancer or HIV/AIDS.
- This extraordinary reference describes the scientific basis, summarizes the existing evidence that functional food for skin really works, and addresses the key questions asked by dermatologists and patients when it comes to practical aspects of nutrition based strategies in clinical and cosmetical dermatology. It is believed that this helpful guide will become the golden standard, the 'bible' for this given topic, which will be used by dermatologists, industry people and interested patients.
- This book is a collection of state-of-the-art reviews on the various aspects of nutrition for the preterm neonate, by internationally renowned clinicians and researchers from Australia, UK, USA, Canada, and Italy. It provides the scientific basis and clinical perspective on the A to Z of enteral and parenteral nutrition for extremely preterm neonates, making it valuable for all involved in the care of this high-risk population. The topics covered range from the developmental physiology of the gastrointestinal tract, and early trophic feeds, to aggressive enteral and parenteral nutrition, and feeding under special conditions such as intrauterine growth restriction and chronic lung disease. Survival of extremely preterm neonates has improved significantly following the advances in neonatal intensive care. Extrauterine growth restriction is recognised as a serious and almost universal issue in this population. Considering the long term consequences of nutritional deficit and poor growth (e.g. neurodevelopmental impairment, short stature and metabolic disorders), optimising nutrition in the early postnatal life of the preterm neonate is crucial. However this is easier said than done considering the frequency of feed intolerance, fear of necrotising enterocolitis, and the hesitancy in adopting an aggressive approach to parenteral nutrition in this population. The simple and practical approach of this comprehensive and unique book makes it a must read for clinicians as well as researchers involved in neonatal intensive care. It is a useful resource for trainees in neonatology, paediatric gastroenterology, and neonatal nursing, and also for dieticians specialising in neonatal nutrition. Key features and content: · Developmental physiology of the gastrointestinal tract · Systematic review of the evidence in various aspects of nutrition for the preterm neonate · Evidence-based practice in nutrition for the preterm neonate · Current gaps in knowledge and directions for further research.
- Nutrition for the primary care provider 2015Karger
- Nutrition guide for physicians 2010Springer
- Nutrition handbook for food processors 2002CRCnetBASE
- Nutrition in clinical practice a comprehensive, evidence-based manual for the practitioner. 2nd ed. 2008OvidClinically relevant carbohydrate metabolism -- Clinically relevant fat metabolism -- Clinically relevant protein metabolism -- Overview of clinically relevant micronutrient metabolism -- Diet, weight regulation, and obesity -- Diet, diabetes mellitus, and insulin resistance -- Diet, atherosclerosis, and ischemic heart disease -- Diet and hypertension -- Diet and hemostasis -- Diet and cerebrovascular and peripheral vascular disease -- Diet and immunity -- Diet and cancer -- Diet and hematopoiesis: nutritional anemias -- Diet, bone metabolism, and osteoporosis -- Diet and respiratory diseases -- Diet and renal disease -- Diet and hepatobiliary disease -- Diet and common gastrointestinal disorders -- Diet, dyspepsia, and peptic ulcer disease -- Diet and rheumatologic disease -- Diet and neurologic disorders -- Diet and dermatoses -- Diet and wound healing -- Food allergy and intolerance -- Eating disorders -- Malnutrition and cachexia -- Diet, pregnancy, and lactation -- Diet and the menstrual cycle -- Diet and early development: pediatric nutrition -- Diet and adolescence -- Diet and senescence -- Ergogenic effects of foods and nutrients: diet and athletic performance -- Endocrine effects of diet: phytoestrogens -- Diet, sleep-wake cycles, and mood -- Diet and cognitive function -- Diet and vision -- Diet and dentition -- Hunger, appetite, taste, and satiety -- Health effects of chocolate -- Health effects of ethanol -- Health effects of coffee -- Macronutrient food substitutes -- Vegetarianism, veganism, and macrobiotic diets -- Culture, evolutionary biology, and the determinants of dietary preference -- Dietary recommendations for health promotion and disease prevention -- Models of behavior modification for diet and activity patterns and weight management -- Dietary counseling in clinical practice.
- From mitochondrial disturbances to energy requirements / P. Singer -- Protein metabolism and requirements / G. Biolo -- How to choose the route / I. Grecu -- How to prescribe nutritional support using computers / M.M. Berger -- Oral feeding / A. Alvárez-Falcón, S. Ruiz-Santana -- Enteral nutrition / R. Anbar -- Parenteral nutrition / R. Thibault, C. Pichard -- Can nutrition support interfere with recovery from acute critical illness? / R.C. Schulman, J.I. Mechanick -- Glucose control / J.-C. Preiser -- Glutamine / M. Kim, P.E. Wischmeyer -- Leucine and citrulline : two major regulators of protein turnover / L. Cynober, J.-P. de Bandt, C. Moinard -- The surgical/trauma patient / A. Weimann -- Nutrition and sepsis / J. Cohen, W.D.N. Chin -- The renal failure patient / W. Druml -- N-3 fatty acids and y-linolenic acid supplementation in the nutritional support of ventilated patients with acute lung injury or acute respiratory distress syndrome / S. Lev, P. Singer -- Obesity / D.C. Frankenfield -- Nutritional imbalances during extracorporeal life support / I. Kagan, P. Singer -- Nutrition in pancreatitis / S.A. McClave -- Which nutritional regimen for the comorbid complex intensive care unit patient? / P. Singer, H. Weinberger, B. Tadmor -- Nutrition support for wound healing in the intensive care unit patient / M. Theilla.
- Nutrition in Kidney Disease, Second Edition addresses the relationships between nutrition and (1) normal kidney function and disease, (2) the progressiveness of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and strategies to prevent further compromise, and (3) the treatment and management of kidney failure especially during medical crises, such as acute kidney injury and its consequent nutritional therapies (e.g., enteral and parenteral nutrition). Demographic patterns, trends and outcomes in the current health care systems are explored in the United States and abroad. Disease prevention and management are presented over the entire lifespan, beginning with pregnancy, followed by infancy, childhood, adolescence, and adulthood, concluding with the elder years. Foundations for clinical practice are established by devoting a complete section towards conducting a comprehensive nutritional assessment, comprising of anthropometric, biochemical, clinical, physical parameters and psychosocial concerns unique to the kidney disease population. Nutritional therapy is also discussed across the spectrum of kidney disease, and pertinent aspects critical to successful management of disorders and conditions, such as bone disease, obesity, and nephrotic syndrome are explored. Nutrition in Kidney Disease, Second edition highlights cutting edge research in regards to exercise and functional outcomes, malnutrition and the inflammatory response, experimental therapies, and the use of complementary and alternative medicine, with a special emphasis on relevant preventative strategies.
- Nutrition in pediatric pulmonary disease 2014SpringerNutrition in Pediatric Pulmonary Disease is a much needed resource for practitioners that provides a basic understanding of nutrition and nutritional supplements; their impact on physiologic function and how this can be applied for general health maintenance as well as a supplemental treatment for pulmonary diseases. This book provides information on (1) basics of nutrition, supplements and herbs and how they influence physiology (2) their application and potential use for various pulmonary diseases along with evidence regarding efficacy and safety. Also examined are (3) how diet, dietary supplements and herbs are integrated together for treatment and prevention of pulmonary disease. Finally (4) several health promoting diets and their potential benefits to patients with pulmonary diseases will be discussed. Nutrition in Pediatric Pulmonary Disease is an excellent new resource for practicing physicians who are interested in incorporating more nutritional approaches to treating their patients.
- The development of atopic phenotypes: genetic and environmental determinants / Wahn, U. ... [et al.] -- Food allergy to proteins / Nowak-Wegrzyn, A. -- Hypoallergenicity: a principle for the treatment of food allergy / Beyer, K. -- The concept of hypoallergenicity for atopy prevention / von Berg, A. -- The concept of oral tolerance induction to foods / Lack, G. -- Chronic enteropathy: molecular basis / Ruemmele, F.M. -- Chronic enteropathy: clinical aspects / Gibbons, T.; Fuchs, G.J. -- Transition from parenteral to enteral nutrition / Milla, P.J. -- Chronic entereropathy and feeding / Salvatore, S.; Hauser, B.; Vandenplas, Y. -- Stressed mucosa / Davidson, G.; Kritas, S.; Butler, R. -- Nutrition for children with cholestatic liver disease / Los, E.L. ... [et al.] -- Nutrient requirements of premature infants / Ziegler, E.E. -- Nutritional assessment in preterm infants / Griffin, I.J. -- Early aggressive nutrition in very preterm infants / Thureen, P.J. -- Discussion on 'Human milk fortification' / Putet, G. -- Postdischarge nutrition of preterm infants: more questions than answers / Cooke, R.J.
- Nutrition therapy for chronic kidney disease 2012CRCnetBASE"This book presents variations in nutritional therapy through the five stages of chronic kidney disease. Chapters cover history of renal disease management and pathophysiology; electrolyte and acid-based disorders; acute renal disease; dialysis techniques; children/adolescents with chronic kidney disease; pregnancy with chronic kidney disease; bone and mineral disorders management; drug-nutrient/drug supplements; endocrine and lipid management; anemia management; enteral and parenteral support; nutrition post transplant; and establishing quality of life improvement parameters. The text links clinical applications to the Kidney Foundation Outcome Quality Initiative resources and provides dietary and supplement recommendations"-- Provided by publisher.
- Nutrition, diet and cancer 2012SpringerAberrant Signaling Pathways in Cancer: Modulation by the Dietary Flavonoid, Quercetin / Ramamurthi Vidya Priyadarsini and Siddavaram Nagini -- Micronutrients and Cancer: Add Spice to Your Life / Sahdeo Prasad, Subash C. Gupta and Bharat B. Aggarwal -- Chemoprevention of Prostate Cancer with Cruciferous Vegetables: Role of Epigenetics / Laura M. Beaver, David E. Williams, Roderick H. Dashwood and Emily Ho -- Molecular Insight and Preclinical Perspective of Thymoquinone as Chemopreventive Agent and Therapeutic Adjunct in Cancer / Sanjeev Banerjee, Mansi Parasramka, Fazlul H. Sarkar and Ramzi M. Mohammad -- Dietary Biofactors in the Management of Cancer: Myth or Reality? / Vidushi S. Neergheen-Bhujun, K. S. Kang, O. I. Aruoma and T. Bahorun -- Nutritional Compounds as Chemopreventive Agents by Proteasome Inhibition / Kristin Landis-Piwowar, Elizabeth Smerczak, Jian Zuo and Q. Ping Dou -- STAT Signaling in Cancer Prevention / Su-Ni Tang, Sharmila Shankar and Rakesh K. Srivastava -- [gamma][delta] T Cells, Tea and Cancer / Jingwei Lu, Vincent J. Pompili and Hiranmoy Das -- Phytochemical Intakes with a Mediterranean Diet: Levels Achievable with an Exchange List Diet and Potential Biomarkers in Blood / Zora Djuric -- Plant Polyphenols and Their Role in Cancer Prevention and Chemotherapy / Sharmila Shankar, Brahma N. Singh and Rakesh K. Srivastava -- Role of Food Micro-molecules in the Prevention of Cancer / Latha Sabikhi, Alok Jha, Sudhir Kumar Tomer and Ashish Kumar Singh. The Protective Role of Zinc in Cancer: A Potential Chemopreventive Agent / Bin Bao, Amir Ahmad, Azfar S Azmi, Zhiwei Wang and Sanjeev Banerjee, et al. -- Diet-Induced Epigenetic Changes and Cancer Prevention: A Mantra for Healthy Living / Ajay Goel and Gaurav Chaturvedi -- Western Diet-Induced Pancreatic Cancer / M. Mura Assifi and Guido Eibl -- Intracellular Signaling Network as a Prime Chemotherapy Target of Green Tea Catechin, (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate / Brahma N. Singh, Sharmila Shankar and Rakesh K. Srivastava -- Role of Dietary Antioxidants in Cancer / C. M. Ajila and S. K. Brar -- Curcumin: Structure, Biology and Clinical Applications / Sharmila Shankar and Rakesh K. Srivastava -- Obesity, Cancer and Psychopathology: Can Vegetarian Diet Be of Help? / Vikas Kumar, Ajit Kumar Thakur and Shyam Sunder Chatterjee -- Dietary Phytochemicals as Epigenetic Modulators in Cancer / Vijay S. Thakur and Sanjay Gupta -- Modulation of the Nrf2 Signaling Pathway by Chemopreventive Dietary Phytoconstituents / Altaf S. Darvesh and Anupam Bishayee -- Role of Fish Oil from Gene Expression to Pharmacological Effect in Cancer Prevention / Malay Chatterjee, Subhadeep Das, Mary Chatterjee and Kaushik Roy -- Antioxidant Supplements: An Evidence-Based Approach to Health Benefits and Risks / Goran Bjelakovic, Dimitrinka Nikolova and Christian Gluud -- Natural Antioxidants and Their Role in Cancer Prevention / Akanksha Singh, Akansha Jain, Birinchi Kumar Sarma, Alok Jha and H. B. Singh -- Dietary and Non-dietary Phytochemicals in Cancer Control / Dhanir Tailor and Rana P. Singh.
- Nutrition, epigenetic mechanisms, and human disease 2011CRCnetBASE"Extensive research on nutrigenomics has unveiled numerous epigenetic mechanisms that are influenced by our dietary signature. This book illustrates how nutrition can influence epigenetic inheritance and the mechanisms that underlie modification of the metabolic imprint of an individual. The text discusses the basics of nutrigenomics and epigenetic regulation, types of nutrition influencing genetic imprinting, and the role of nutrition in modulating an individual's predisposition to disease. It also covers epigenetic variation, genomic imprinting, maternal nutrition, neonatal nutrition, as well as epigenetics and nutrition relating to cancer, heart disease, and obesity"--Provided by publisher.
- A review of the epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease with a focus on diet, infections, and antibiotic exposure / Lewis, J.D. -- Current issues in the design of clinical trials in IBD / Feagan, B.G. -- The intestinal microbiota in inflammatory bowel diseases / Sartor, R.B. -- Genetics and innate and adaptive immunity in IBD / Zanello, G.; Kevans, D.; Goethel, A.; Silverberg, M.; Tyler, A.; Croitoru, K. -- Interplay of nutrients and microbial metabolites in intestinal immune homeostasis : differential and common mechanisms of immune regulation in the small bowel and colon / Perrigoue, J.; Das, A.; Mora, J.R. -- Diet, the gut microbiome, and the metabolome in IBD / Wu, G.D. -- Antibiotics, probiotics, and prebiotics in IBD / Bernstein, C.N. -- Fecal microbiota transplantation : an interest in IBD / Kahn, S.A.; Goeppinger, S.R.; Rubin, D.T. -- Enteral nutrition as treatment option for Crohn's disease : in kids only / Ruemmele, F.M.; Pigneur, B.; Garnier-Lenglin, H. -- Effects of exclusive enteral nutrition on bone mass, linear growth, and body composition in children with Crohn's disease / Sylvester, F.A. -- Exclusive enteral nutrition : clues to the pathogenesis of Crohn's disease / Levine, A. -- Current state of the art of medical foods / Blum, S. ; Brito, F. -- IBD therapy : new targets and unmet needs / Colombel, J.-F.
- Nutrition, lifestyle factors, and blood pressure 2012CRCnetBASE"Aiming to increase awareness, this book covers measures to prevent health conditions and diseases that are associated with high blood pressure. The first section provides a comprehensive review of diet, nutrition, lifestyle, and blood pressure control. It also discusses the consequences of high blood pressure, including heart disease, kidney disease, diabetes, and stroke. The second section focuses on implementation of strategies to promote behavioral changes for blood pressure control. The final section addresses key subgroup populations and situations that require special considerations. Case studies demonstrate how lifestyle factors can be changed to control blood pressure"-- Provided by publisher.
- Nutritional anemias 2001CRCnetBASE
- Nutritional applications in exercise and sport 2001CRCnetBASE
- Nutritional assessment of athletes 2002CRCnetBASE
- Nutritional assessment of athletes. 2nd ed. 2011CRCnetBASE"Evaluating dietary intake, determining energy metabolism, and conducting other nutritional assessments are essential in understanding the relationships between diet, exercise, health, and physical performance, especially in athletes. Several methods exist, each with their own advantages and limitations. Extensively referenced and filled with numerous tables and figures, this timely book focuses on the nutritional assessment of both recreational and professional athletes, including children, adolescents, and adults. In one volume, it presents methods for all types of nutritional evaluations, including dietary, anthropometric, physical activity needs, biochemical, and clinical assessments"--Provided by publisher.
- Historical perspective / R.C. Tsang -- Defining the nutritional needs of preterm infants / R. Uauy, B. Koletzko -- Nutrition, growth and clinical outcomes / R.A. Ehrenkranz -- Assessing the evidence from neonatal nutrition research / H. Szajewska, B. Koletzko, F.B. Mimouni, R. Uauy -- Amino acids and proteins / J.B. van Goudoever, H. Vlaardingerbroek, C.H. van den Akker, F. de Groof, S.R.D. van der Schoor -- Energy requirements, protein-energy metabolism and balance, and carbohydrates in preterm infants / W.W. Hay Jr., L.D. Brown, S.C. Denne -- Enteral and parenteral lipid requirements of preterm infants / A. Lapillonne -- Water, sodium, potassium and chloride / C. Fusch, F. Jochum -- Nutritional care of premature infants : microminerals / M. Domellöf -- Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin d requirements of the preterm infant / F.B. Mimouni, D. Mandel, R. Lubetzky, T. Senterre -- Vitamins : conventional uses and new insights / A. Leaf, Z. Lansdowne -- The developing intestinal microbiome : probiotics and prebiotics / J. Neu -- Practice of parenteral nutrition in VLBW and ELBW infants / N.D. Embleton, K. Simmer -- Preterm nutrition and the brain / S.E. Ramel, M.K. Georgieff -- Practice of enteral nutrition in very low birth weight and extremely low birth weight infants / T. Senterre -- Human milk and human milk fortifiers / E.E. Ziegler -- Approaches to growth faltering / B. Poindexter -- Preterm nutrition and the lung / F. Moya -- Necrotizing enterocolitis / J. Neu -- Feeding the preterm infant after discharge / A. Lapillonne -- Meeting the challenge of providing neonatal nutritional care to very or extremely low birth weight infants in low-resource settings / T. Murguia-Peniche, G.F. Kirsten -- Recommended nutrient intake levels for stable, fully enterally fed very low birth weight infants / B. Koletzko, B. Poindexter, R. Uauy.
- Nutritional concerns in recreation, exercise, and sport 2009CRCnetBASEEnergy requirements / Benjamin F. Miller and Barry Braun -- Carbohydrates and fats / Mark Kern -- Proteins / Tom J. Hazell and Peter W. R. Lemon -- Vitamins / Young-Nam Kim and Judy A. Driskell -- Minerals-calcium, magnesium, chromium, and boron / Stella J. Volpe -- Hydration / Susan M. Kleiner and Douglas S. Kalman -- Weight management / Richard B. Kreider and Colin D. Wilborn -- Endurance performance / Ellen J. Coleman -- Purported ergogenic aids / Abbie E. Smith, Sarah E. Tobkin, Jeffrey R. Stout and Christopher M. Lockwood -- Life cycle concerns / Peter R. J. Reaburn and Fiona E. Pelly.
- Nutritional counseling for lifestyle change 2007CRCnetBASE
- Nutritional epidemiology of breast cancer 2012Springer
- Nutritional influences on bone health 2010SpringerDietary protein and bone mass accrual -- Protein effects on bone and muscle in elderly women -- Dietary protein and bone health: the urgent need for large-scale supplementation studies -- Protein intake during weight loss: effects on bone -- A comparison of Asian Asian and American Asian populations: calcium and bone accretion during formation of peak bone mass -- Estimating calcium requirements -- Independent and combined effects of exercise and calcium on bone structural and material properties in older adults -- The bone benefits of calcium and exercise in children -- Calcium supplementation plays a positive role in bone and body composition in Chinese adolescents -- Effects of high calcium and vitamin D diets on changes in body fat, lean mass, and bone mineral density by self-controlled dieting for 4 months in young Asian women -- Trace elements and bone -- Phosphorus and bone -- Seasonal differences in mineral homeostasis and bone metabolism in response to oral phosphate loading in older Northern Chinese adults -- Diabetes mellitus and osteoporosis -- Vitamin D and muscle -- Vitamin D and bone health -- Effects of vitamin D on bone health in healthy young adults -- Vitamin D effects on bone structure in childhood and aging -- Dietary patterns and bone health -- Nutritional factors that influence change in bone density and stress fracture risk among young female cross-country runners -- A dietary pattern that predicts physical performance in an elderly population -- Citrus hesperidin and bone health: from preclinical studies to nutritional intervention trials -- Acidosis and bone -- Acid-base homeostasis and the skeleton: an update on current thinking -- Acid-base balance, bone, and muscle -- The effect of mineral waters on bone metabolism: alkalinity over calcium? -- Bone-anabolic impact of dietary high protein intake compared with the effects of low potential renal acid load, endogenous steroid hormones, and muscularity in children -- Salt sensitivity, metabolic acidosis, and bone health.
- Nutritional Influences on Bone Health presents a collection of papers from the 8th International Symposium on Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis, the primary forum for and only regular meeting exclusively devoted to the topic of nutritional influences on bone health. The outcome is a fusion of the most current and up-to-date research in this area. Key themes include the permeation of the Western diet across the globe, calcium, vitamin D and acid-base balance. Written by authorities on the impact of nutrition on bone health, Nutritional Influences on Bone Health brings the reader the emerging trends, new messages and the latest scientific data in the field, to inform future research and clinical practice. This comprehensive, well researched volume is an essential reference for professionals in the field of bone health and nutrition.
- Nutritional management of cancer treatment effects 2012SpringerAssessment of Malnutrition and Nutritional Therapy Approaches in Cancer Patients -- Cancer Anorexia (CA) -- Cancer Cachexia (CC) -- Oral Mucositis -- Nausea and Vomiting in Cancer -- Cancer-Related Fatigue (CRF) -- Treatment-Induced Enteritis (Radiation- or Combination Therapy-Induced Enteropathies) -- Neurocognitive Impairment (NI) -- Dysfunction of the Bowel/Constipation -- Dysphagia.
- Nutritional management of digestive disorders 2011CRCnetBASEThe history of medical nutrition therapy in the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders / Laura Harkness -- Assessment of nutritional status / Laura E. Mataresse -- Management of disorders of deglutition / Ryan F. Porter, Chandra P. Gaywali -- Eosinophilic esophagitis / Alain I. Schoepfer & Alex Straumann -- Management of chronic nausea and vomiting / Greg Sayuk & Chandra P. Gaywali -- Celiac disease / Peter D. Howdle -- Probiotics in irritable bowel syndrome / Eamon Quigley, Fergus Shanahan -- The role of nutrition in inflammatory bowel disease: food for thought / Gerard E. Mullin, Melissa Munsell and Ashwini Davison -- Probiotics for antibiotic-associated diarrhea and clostridium difficile- associated disease / Mario Guslandi -- Endoscopic enteral access and enteral nutrition / Waqar Qureshi, Carol Redel -- Self expanding metal stents in the management of malignant esophageal, gastric outlet, and duodenal obstructions / Francis W. Chan, Priya A. Jamidar -- Management of chronic malabsorption / Piyush Tiwari, Manreet Kaur, Bhaskar Banerjee -- Total parenteral nutrition : theory and application in hospitalized patients / Dominic Reeds -- Home nutrition support / Carol Ireton-Jones, David S. Seres -- Intestinal failure, liver disease related to parenteral nutrition and intestinal transplantation / Khalid Khan -- Nutrition in acute pancreatitis / Remy F. Meier, Robert Martindale -- Nutrition in liver disease / Mathias Plauth, Tatjana Schutz -- Non alcoholic fatty liver disease / Kevin Korenblat -- Weight management strategies / Shelby Sullivan -- Bariatric surgery / Alessandrina Freitas, John F. Sweeney -- Obesity and gastrointestinal cancer / Yume Nguyen, B. Banerjee -- Nutrition and colon cancer prevention / Petr Protiva.
- Nutritional neuroscience 2005CRCnetBASE
- Nutritional oncology. 2nd ed. 2006ScienceDirect
- Obesity dietary and developmental influences 2006CRCnetBASE
- Brain reorganization following weight loss / M. Rosenbaum, R.L. Leibel -- Physical activity and weight loss / J.M. Jakicic -- Dietary strategies for weight management / B.J. Rolls -- Targeting adipose tissue inflammation to treat the underlying basis of the metabolic complications of obesity / M.I. Goran, T. Alderete -- Summary discussion on obesity treatment : challenges and opportunities -- New directions for prevention -- The gut microbiome and obesity / M.A.J Hullar, J.W. Lampe -- Starting early : obesity prevention during infancy / L.L. Birch, S. Anzman-Frasca, I.M. Paul -- The economics of food choice behavior : why poverty and obesity are linked / A. Drewnowski -- The importance of the food and physical activity environments / J.M. Oppert, H. Charreire -- The importance of systems thinking of address obesity / D.T. Finegood -- Summary discussion on new directions for prevention.
- Omega-3 fatty acids and the DHA principle 2010CRCnetBASECh. 1. Molecular biology of Omega-3 chains as structural lipids : many central questions remain unanswered -- Ch. 2. Darwinian selection of the fittest membrane lipids : from archaeal isoprenoids to DHA-enriched rhodopsin disks -- Ch. 3. Coevolution of DHA membranes and their proteins -- Ch. 4. Convergent evolution of DHA/EPA biosynthetic pathways -- Ch. 5. Membrane evolution in a marine bacterium : capitalizing on DHA for energy conservation in seawater -- Ch. 6. Evolution of DHA membranes in human neutrons -- Ch. 7. DHA/EPA chains as powerful membrane antifreeze -- Ch. 8. DHA as a mediocre permeability barrier against cations : water wire theory -- Ch. 9. DHA/EPA membranes as targets of oxidative damage -- Ch. 10. Bacteria : environmental modulation of membrane lipids for bioenergetic gain -- Ch. 11. Chloroplasts : harnessing DHA/EPA for harvesting light in the sea -- Ch. 12. Mitochondria : DHA-cardiolipin boosts energy output -- Ch. 13. Sperm : essential roles of DHA lead to development of a mechanical stress hypothesis -- Ch. 14. DHA/EPA mutualism between bacteria and marine animals -- Ch. 15. Membrane adaptations for an oily environment : lessons from a petroleum-degrading bacterium -- Ch. 16. Lessons from yeast : phospholipid conformations are important in winemaking -- Ch. 17. DHA principle applied to global warming -- Ch. 18. DHA principle applied to molecular farming -- Ch. 19. DHA/unsaturation theory of aging -- Ch. 20. DHA principle applied to neurodegenerative diseases -- Ch. 21. Dietary DHA in prevention of colon cancer : how a risk to the cell benefits the organism.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, the brain and retina 2009KargerOmega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids : biological effects / Simopoulos, A.P. -- Depression, suicide, and deficiencies of omega-3 essential fatty acids in modern diets / Hibbeln, J.R. -- Serial structural magnetic resonance imaging analysis and proton and 31-phosphorus magnetic resonance spectroscopy to the investigation of cerebral fatty acids in major depressive disorder, Huntington's disease (chorea), and myalgic encephalomyelitis (chronic fatigue syndrome), and in forensic schizophrenic patients / Puri, B.K.; Tsaluchidu, S.; Treasaden, I.H. -- Omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid is the precursor of neuroprotectin D1 in the nervous system / Niemoller, T.D.; Stark, D.T.; Bazan, N.G. -- Docosahexaenoic acid and amyloid-[beta] peptide signaling in Alzheimer's disease / Lukiw, W.J. -- Administration of docosahexaenoic acid, uridine, and choline increases levels of synaptic membranes and dendritic spines in rodent brain / Wurtman, R.J. ... [et al.] -- An assessment of dietary docosahexaenoic acid requirements for brain accretion and turnover during early childhood / Hadley, K.B. ... [et al.] -- Variation in lipid-associated genes as they relate to risk of advanced age-related macular degeneration / SanGiovanni, J.P., Mehta, S., Mehta, S.
- Over the last several years developing human research suggests that a component of omega-3 fatty acids, long chain ones, contribute particularly to health benefits. Omega-6/3 Fatty Acids: Functions, Sustainability Strategies and Perspectives focuses on developing information on this newly recognized key component. This volume uniquely, and for the first time, focuses on sustainability of natural sources of omega-3 fatty acids variants including long chain ones, and on ways to increase their use and availability to reduce major diseases. The authors review cardiovascular disease, neurological changes and mental health and other diseases like diabetes where long chain omega-3 fatty acids play protective roles from recent human trials. Each chapter evaluates developing information on the possible mechanistic role of long chain omega-3 fatty acids. After showing their requirement and involvement in health promotion there are reviews of various sources and ways to protect and promote them. Authors provide support for the benefits and sources of long chain omega-3 fatty acids and their increased dietary intake that reduce various physical and mental illnesses. Omega-6/3 Fatty Acids: Functions, Sustainability and Perspectives is a unique and important new volume that provides the latest data and reviews to physicians who need to assess serum omega-6/3 and fatty acids to help diagnose risks and change diets and to inform industry and the scientific community with reviews of research for actions including new studies and therapies.
- Oxidative stress and disease v. 6-8, 10-22, 29-, 2001-02, 2004-06, 2012-CRCnetBase
- Patient preparation for bariatric surgery 2014Springer"Patient Preparation for Bariatric Surgery provides a comprehensive and state of the art review of all aspects of the patient preparation process, The text reviews current literature and controversies involving sources of referrals and the difficulties encountered by primary care physicians in managing patients with extreme obesity. Strategies for addressing this problem and integrating primary care physicians in comprehensive obesity programs are presented. The text also reviews current indications for surgery and the current patient access limitations that have resulted in the need for revised surgical indications based more on medical need than mere extent of obesity. Written by an authority in the field, Patient Preparation for Bariatric Surgery is a valuable resource for bariatric surgeons, bariatric physicians and all allied health personnel who manage patients with extreme obesity and will assist in the advancement of this area of surgery as well as stimulate new discovery."--Publisher's website.
- Peasants, farmers and scientists a chronicle of tropical agricultural science in the twentieth century 2007Springer
- Often, information in review books can raise as many questions as it answers. This interferes with the study process, because the learner must either look up additional information or skip ahead without truly comprehending what he or she has read. As an alternative, Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition: A Practically Painless Review presents bite-size chunks of information that can be read and processed rapidly, helping learners to stay active while studying and to pick up new information the first time they read it. This book's question and answer format allows for self-testing or study with a partner or a group. The format also facilitates dipping into the book during a few minutes of downtime at the hospital or office. Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition: A Practically Painless Review is a quick and easy way to master these tricky topics and is suitable for those studying for the pediatric board exam, practicing physicians brushing up their skills and any busy clinician who wants to learn more about these topics while on the go.
- Global dynamics in childhood obesity: reflections on a life of work in the field -- The neuroendocrine control of energy balance -- Monogenic obesity -- Syndromic obesity -- Polygenic obesity -- Racial differences in childhood obesity : pathogenesis and complications -- Maternal determinants of childhood obesity : weight gain, smoking, and breastfeeding -- Intrauterine growth retardation -- Gestational diabetes -- The role of diet -- Energy expenditure in children : the role of NEAT -- Childhood obesity and the regulation of growth, thyroid function, sexual development, and calcium homeostasis -- Pathogenesis of insulin resistance and glucose intolerance in childhood obesity -- Pathogenesis and management of dyslipidemia in obese children -- Fatty liver disease -- Pathogenesis of hypertension and renal disease in obesity -- Sleep-disordered breathing and sleep duration in childhood obesity -- The long-term metabolic complications of childhood obesity -- Childhood obesity, atherogenesis, and adult cardiovascular disease -- Family-based behavioral interventions -- Exercise and childhood obesity -- School- and community-based interventions -- Pharmacotherapy of childhood obesity and pre-diabetes -- Pathogenesis and management of adiposity and insulin resistance in PCOS : prevention and treatment of the metabolic disease components -- Obesity and metabolic dysfunction in the child with a major behavioral disorder : atypical antipsychotics -- Hypothalamic obesity -- Bariatric surgery in adolescents -- Neuroendocrine and metabolic adaptations in the central nervous system that facilitate weight regain -- The socio-cultural context for obesity prevention and treatment in children and adolescents : influences of ethnicity and gender -- The marketing and distribution of fast food -- Local and national policy-based interventions : to improve children's nutrition.
- Perinatal nutrition optimizing infant health and development 2005CRCnetBASE
View by page
- Acute topics in sport nutrition — Fluid and electrolytes in pediatrics a comprehensive handbook (100)
- Folate in health and disease. 2nd ed. — Methods of analysis for functional foods and nutraceuticals. 2nd ed. (100)
- Methods of analysis of food components and additives — Perinatal nutrition optimizing infant health and development (100)
- Persisting undernutrition in India causes, consequences and possible solutions — Yeasts in food and beverages (62)
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Large number of high quality software and database programming titles from O'Reilly. Other software titles are also available from Sams and Prentice Hall. Limited to 7 concurrent users.Vast collection of software and database programming titles from multiple publishers, including Microsoft Press.Largest provider of engineering-related eBooks; includes titles in computer science and biomedical engineering.Over 4,000 full-text e-books covering scientific and technical information from CRC Press and others. Many handbooks and single volume reference sources.A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more. Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.Includes peer-reviewed life science and biomedical research protocols compiled from Methods in Molecular Biology, Methods in Molecular Medicine, Methods in Biotechnology, Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuromethods, the Biomethods Handbook, the Proteomics Handbook, and Springer Laboratory Manuals.Contains full text access to selected biomedical and nursing books.Provides one-click access to important clinical resources; includes evidence-based diagnosis and treatment guidelines, Books, EBM articles, Ovid MEDLINE, Drug facts and comparisons, Drug interaction facts, guidelines from National Guideline Clearinghouse, patient handouts (English and Spanish), and local content.ClinicalKey provides access to textbooks, electronic journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.