Books by Subject
View by page
- Acute topics in sport nutrition — Fluid and electrolytes in pediatrics a comprehensive handbook (100)
- Folate in health and disease. 2nd ed. — Methods of analysis for functional foods and nutraceuticals. 2nd ed. (100)
- Methods of analysis of food components and additives — Perinatal nutrition optimizing infant health and development (100)
- Persisting undernutrition in India causes, consequences and possible solutions — Yeasts in food and beverages (62)
- Folate in health and disease. 2nd ed. 2010CRCnetBASEFolate chemistry and metabolism / Barry Shane -- Folate bioavailability / Helene McNulty, Kristina Pentieva -- Folate biochemical pathways and their regulation / Patrick Stover -- Genetic variation : effect on folate metabolism and disease/birth defect risk / Karen Christensen, Rima Rozen -- Folate in pregnancy and lactation / Tsunenobu Tamura, Mary Frances Picciano, Michelle Kay McGuire -- Folate status and birth defect risk : epidemiological perspective / Charlotte Hobbs ... [et al.] -- Folate-related birth defects : embryonic consequences of abnormal folate transport and metabolism / Deeann Wallis ... [et al.] -- Folic acid fortification : neural tube defect risk reduction-global perspective / R.J. Berry, Heather Hamner, Joseph Mulinaire -- Folate and cancer : epidemiological perspective / Jia Chen ... [et al.] -- Folate and carcinogenesis : basic mechanisms / Eric Ciappio, Joel Mason -- Folate and vascular disease : epidemiological perspective / Sari Kalin, Eric Rimm -- Folate and vascular disease : basic mechanisms / Luciana Hannibal, Alla V. Glushchenko, Donald W. Jacobsen -- Folate and neurological function : epidemiological perspective / Martha S. Morris, Paul Jacques -- Folate and neurological disease : basic mechanisms / Terry Bottiglieri, Edwards H. Reynolds -- Folate and vitamin B12 interactions : metabolic and potential health implications / Anne Molloy -- Clinical folate deficiency / Sally Stabler -- Influence of alcohol on folate status and methionine metabolism in relation to alcoholic liver disease / Charles Halsted, Valentina Medici, Farah Esfandiari -- Folate and choline interrelationships : metabolic and potential health implications / Marie Caudill -- Folate : recommended intakes, consumption, and status / Gail Kauwell, Megan L. Diaz, Lynn B. Bailey -- Kinetics of folate and one-carbon metabolism / Jesse F. Gregory III, Vanessa da Silva, Yvonne Lamners -- Folate analytical methodology / Christine Pfeiffer, Zia Fazili, and Mindy Zhang.
- Food additives. 2nd ed., rev. and expanded. 2002CRCnetBASE
- Food allergy 2012ScienceDirect2012 ClinicalKey1. Overview of mucosal immunity and development of oral tolerance / Corinne Keet, Robert Wood -- 2. Food antigens / E. N. Clare Mills, Philip E. Johnson, Yuri Alexeev -- 3. Epidemiology of food allergy / Katrina J. Allen, Jennifer J. Koplin -- 4. Clinical overview of adverse reactions to foods / John M. Kelso -- 5. Atopic dermatitis and food allergy / Tamara T. Perry, Debra D. Becton, Stacie M. Jones -- 6. Food-induced urticaria and angioedema / Julia Rodriguez, Jesús F. Crespo -- 7. Pollen-food syndrome / Antonella Muraro, Cristiana Alonzi -- 8. Respiratory tract and food allergy / John M. James -- 9. Food-induced anaphylaxis and food associated exercise-induced anaphylaxis Motohiro Ebisawa -- 10. Eosinophilic gastroenteropathies (eosinophilic esophagitis, eosinophilic gastroenteritis and eosinophilic colitis) / Dan Atkins, Glenn T. Furuta -- 11. Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome, food protein-induced enteropathy, proctocolitis, and infantile colic / Stephanie Ann Leonard, Anna Nowak-Węgrzyn -- 12. Approach to the clinical diagnosis of food allergy / Jonathan O'B. Hourihane -- 13. In vivo and in vitro diagnostic methods in the evaluation of food allergy / S. Allan Bock -- 14. Oral food challenge procedures / Gideon Lack, George Du Toit, Mary Feeney -- 15. Management of food allergy and development of an anaphylaxis treatment plan / Jacqueline Wassenberg, Philippe Eigenmann -- 16. Patient education and empowerment / Kim Mudd, Robert Wood -- 17. Future therapies for food allergies / Anna Nowak-Węgrzyn, Hugh A. Sampson -- 18. Natural history and prevention of food allergy / Scott H. Sicherer, Atsuo Urisu -- 19. Diets and nutrition: cross-reacting food allergens / Vicki McWilliam -- 20. Diagnostic and therapeutic dilemmas: adverse reactions to food additives, pharmacologic food reactions, psychological considerations related to food ingestion / John O. Warner.
- Food allergy practical diagnosis and management 2014CRCnetBASEChapter 1. Clinical manifestations of food allergy / Jonathan M. Spergel and Hemant P. Sharma -- Chapter 2. Prevalence, triggers, and cross-reactivity / Lynette P. Shek and Katrina (Katie) J. Allen -- Chapter 3. Acute reactions and anaphylaxis / Corinne Keet and Julie Wang -- Chapter 4. Skin conditions associated with food allergy / Tamara T. Perry, A. Wesley Burks, and Stacie M. Jones -- Chapter 5. Gastrointestinal conditions associated with food allergy / Mirna Chehade and Seema Aceves -- Chapter 6. Respiratory conditions associated with food allergy / John M. James -- Chapter 7. Diagnostic testing / Maeve Kelleher, S. Allan Bock, and Jonathan O'B Hourihane -- Chapter 8. The oral food challenge procedure / Sally Noone and Amal H. Assa'ad -- Chapter 9. Dietary management / Marion Groetch -- Chapter 10. Managing food avoidance within the home and outside the home, and lifestyle issues / Jennifer S. Kim, Eyal Shemesh, and Michael C. Young -- Chapter 11. Pharmacologic reactions to food and reactions to food additives / Matthew J. Greenhawt, Timothy J. Franxman, and Ronald A. Simon -- Chapter 12. Prevention / George Du Toit, David M. Fleischer, and Gideon Lack -- Chapter 13. Natural course / Jessica H. Savage and Robert A. Wood -- Chapter 14. Future diagnostics and therapies / Anna Nowak-Wegrzyn and Hugh A. Sampson -- Chapter 15. Practical resources for physicians and patients / Todd A. Mahr and Maria L. Acebal.
- Food authenticity and traceability 2003CRCnetBASEAdvanced PRP techniques in identifying food components -- DNA methods for identifying plant and animal species in food -- Enzyme immunoassays for identifying animal species in food -- Proteome and metabolome analyses for food authentication -- Near infra-red absorption technology for analysing food composition -- NMR spectroscopy in food authentication -- Using stable isotope ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS) in food authentication and traceability -- Spectrophotometric techniques -- Gas chromatography -- High pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC) in food authentication -- Enzymatic techniques for authenticating food components -- In-line sensors for food analysis -- Chemometrics in data analysis -- Species identification in processed seafoods -- Meat and meat products -- Milk and dairy products -- Cereals -- Herbs and spices -- Identifying genetically modified organisms (GMOs) -- Wine authenticity -- Traceability in food processing : an introduction -- Developing traceability systems across the supply chain -- Developing and implementing an effective traceability and product recall system -- Traceability in fish processing -- Safety and traceability of animal feed -- Geographic traceability of cheese -- Advanced DNA-based detection techniques for genetically modified food.
- Food biotechnology. 2nd ed. 2006CRCnetBASE
- Food chemical safety Vol. 2, Additives / 2002CRCnetBASEpt. 1. General issues -- pt. 2. Analysing additives -- pt. 3. Specific additives.
- pt. 1. Factors that influence interactions between foodborne pathogenic agents and consumers -- pt. 2. Human host factors that influence foodborne disease -- pt. 3. Agent factors of pathogenicity and virulence that influence foodborne disease.
- Food factors for health promotion 2009KargerGenomics for food functionality and safety / Abe, K. -- Lipid metabolism and nutrigenomics : impact of sesame lignans on gene expression profiles and fatty acid oxidation in rat liver / Ide, T. ... [et al.] -- Genome science of lipid metabolism and obesity / Takahashi, N. ... [et al.] -- Oxidative stress-induced posttranslational modification of proteins as a target of functional food / Naito, Y., Yoshikawa, T. -- Absorption and function of dietary carotenoids / Nagao, A. -- Metabolism of flavonoids / Wang, Y., Ho, C.-T. -- [beta]-carotene degradation products : formation, toxicity, and prevention of toxicity / Siems, W. ... [et al.] -- Dietary flavonoids as antioxidants / Terao, J. -- Inflammatory components of adipose tissue as target for treatment of metabolic syndrome / Yu, R., Kim, C.-S., Kang, J.-H. -- Soybean isoflavones in bone health / Ishimi, Y. -- Probiotics in primary prevention of atopic dermatitis / Ji, G.E. -- Astaxanthin protects neuronal cells against oxidative damage and is a potent candidate for brain food / Liu, X., Osawa, T. -- Function of marine carotenoids / Miyashita, K. -- Exercise and food factors / Aoi, W. -- Molecular basis for cancer chemoprevention by green tea polyphenol EGCG / Tachibana, H. -- Chemoprevention by isothiocyanates : molecular basis of apoptosis induction / Nakamura, Y. -- Ginger-derived phenolic substances with cancer preventive and therapeutic potential / Kundu, J.K., Na, H.-K., Surh, Y.-J. -- Chemoprevention with phytochemicals targeting inducible nitric oxide synthase / Murakami, A. -- Chemoprevention of tocotrienols : the mechanism of antiproliferative effect / Wada, S.
- Food lipids chemistry, nutrition, and biochemistry. 2nd ed., 2002CRCnetBASE
- "This volume discusses the effects of naturally occurring and process-generated pro-oxidants and antioxidants on various aspects of food quality. It emphasizes the chemical nature and functional properties of these compounds and their interactions with other food components in storage and processing, specifically focusing on the sensory quality, nutritional value, health promoting activity, and safety aspects of foods. It demonstrates the analysis of pro-oxidants and antioxidants in foods, their mechanism and activity, their chemistry and biochemistry, and the practical considerations of healthy food production and marketing"-- Provided by publisher.
- Food phytates 2002CRCnetBASE
- Food polysaccharides and their applications. 2nd ed. 2006CRCnetBASE
- Food protein analysis quantitative effects on processing 2002CRCnetBASE
- Food science and food biotechnology 2003CRCnetBASE
- Food, diet and obesity 2005CRCnetBASE
- Food-drug synergy and safety 2006CRCnetBASE
- Frontiers in eating and weight regulation 2010Karger"The development of effective preventive and therapeutic measures to control eating and body weight involves basic physiology as well as cognitive and social psychology. The potential of molecular genetics to illuminate brain-behavior relationships became apparent with the discovery of the leptin gene in 1994. At present, molecular methodologies are being integrated with other physiological approaches, resulting in a number of options from which effective therapeutic strategies may evolve. This book highlights this exciting juncture: Fifteen leading experts present brief descriptions of some of the latest developments of the physiology of eating and weight regulation, ranging from endocrine and neural controls to genetics and functional brain imaging. These Frontier chapters are preceded by a general overview that provides requisite background on the physiology of eating as well as a conceptual framework for the Frontier chapters."--Publisher's description.
- Functional dairy products 2003CRCnetBASEpt. 1. The health benefits of functional dairy products -- pt. 2. Functional dairy ingredients -- pt. 3. Product development.
- Functional dairy products Vol. 2 / 2007CRCnetBASEpt. 1. The health benefits of functional dairy products -- pt. 2. Functional dairy ingredients -- pt. 3. Product development.
- Functional food carbohydrates 2007CRCnetBASEChapter 1. Cereal β-Glucans: Structures, Physical Properties, and Physiological Functions / Athina Lazaridou, Costas G. Biliaderis, and Marta S. Izydorczyk -- Chapter 2. Resistant Starch / Donald B. Thompson -- Chapter 3. Konjac Glucomannan / K. Nishinari and S. Gao -- Chapter 4. Seed Polysaccharide Gums / Steve W. Cui, Shinya Ikeda, and Michael N.A. Eskin -- Chapter 5. Microbial Polysaccharides / Ioannis Giavasis and Costas G. Biliaderis -- Chapter 6. Chitosan as a Dietary Supplement and a Food Technology Agent / Riccardo A.A. Muzzarelli and Corrado Muzzarelli -- Chapter 7. Arabinoxylans: Technologically and Nutritionally Functional Plant Polysaccharides / Marta S. Izydorczyk and Costas G. Biliaderis -- Chapter 8. Carbohydrates and the Risk of Cardiovascular Disease / Gunilla Önning -- Chapter 9. Carbohydrates and Obesity / Gail Woodward-Lopez, Dana E. Gerstein, Lorrene D. Ritchie, and Sharon E. Fleming -- Chapter 10. Dietary Carbohydrates and Risk of Cancer / Joanne Slavin -- Chapter 11. The Role of Carbohydrates in the Prevention and Management of Type 2 Diabetes / Kaisa Poutanen, David Laaksonen, Karin Autio, Hannu Mykkänen, and Leo Niskanen -- Chapter 12.Carbohydrates and Mineral Metabolism / David D. Kitts Chapter 13. Dietary Carbohydrates as Mood and Performance Modulators / Larry Christensen -- Chapter 14. Carbohydrates and Gastrointestinal Tract Function / Barbara O. Schneeman -- Chapter 15. Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Synbiotics: Functional Ingredients for Microbial Management Strategies / G.C.M. Rouzaud -- Chapter 16. Potential Use of Carbohydrates as Stabilizers and Delivery Vehicles of Bioactive Substances in Foods / Pirkko Forssell, Päivi Myllärinen, Piia Hakala, and Kaisa Poutanen -- Chapter 17. Food Regulations: Health Claims for Foods Fortified with Carbohydrates or Other Nutraceuticals / Jerzy Zawistowski.
- Functional foods and cardiovascular disease 2012CRCnetBASE"Drawn from the latest clinical and experimental information, this book covers products enriched with phytosterols, n-3 fatty acids, garlic extract naturally occurring antioxidants, folic acid, CLA, as well as fibers and flavonoids. It describes the connection between diets, dietary habits, and cardiovascular diseases. It also explains how functional food ingredients and nutraceuticals can mitigate cardiovascular disorders. The authors examine recent technologies for generating novel food products enriched with cardiovascular protective dietary agents. They include experimental and clinical evidence of various ingredients"--Provided by publisher.
- Part 1. The connection between nutrition and health -- part 2. Functional foods : the connection between health and food science.
- 2012 ClinicalKeyOverview of digestion and absorption / Josef Neu -- Maturation of motor function in the preterm infant and gastroesophageal reflux / Anna Marla Hibbs -- Development of gastrointestinal motility reflexes / Sudarshan Rao Jadcherla -- Development of the intestinal mucosal barrier / Allan Walker and Camilia Martin -- The developing intestinal microbiome and its relationship to health and disease / Josef Neu -- The developing intestine as an immune organ / Patricia Lin -- The developing gastrointestinal tract in relation to autoimmune disease, allergy, and atopy / Outi Vaarala -- What are the controversies for basic intestinal development and where will the field be moving in the future? / Josef Neu -- Nutritional requirements of the very-low-birthweight infant / Patti Thureen and William Hay Jr. -- Controversies in neonatal nutrition : macronutrients and micronutrients / Frank R. Greer -- Regulation of protein synthesis and proteolysis in the neonate by feeding / Tracy Gautsch Anthony and Susan Hazels Mitmesser -- Lipids for neonates / Sheila M. Innis -- Human milk feeding of the high-risk neonate / Christina Valentine -- Nutritional requirements for the neonate : what are the controversies and where will the field be moving in the future? / Josef Neu -- Necrotizing enterocolitis / Josef Neu -- Special nutrition of the surgical neonate / Tom Jaksic -- Controversies in short bowel syndrome / Marc Rhoads -- Neonatal cholestasis / Joel Andres -- The neonatal gastrointestinal tract as a conduit to systemic inflammation and developmental delays / Josef Neu and James Wynn -- Adult consequences of neonatal and fetal nutrition : mechanisms / Robert Lane -- Technologies for the evaluation of enteral feeding readiness in premature infants / Josef Neu -- What are the controversies for these clinical conditions and where will the field be moving in the future? / Josef Neu.
- Gastrointestinal and liver disease nutrition desk reference 2012CRCnetBASE"Presents the nutritional consequences and considerations of digestive disorders. Examines the role of nutrition in gastrointestinal and liver disease, including alcoholic and nonalcoholic liver disease, viral hepatitis, cirrhosis, malabsorption, colorectal disease, transplantation, pancreatitis, and inflammatory bowel disease. Includes chapters on food allergy and intolerance, the effects of medicinal plants, and the role of fiber in the gastrointestinal tract. Addresses the challenges of managing nutritional issues for hospitalized patients, and covers eating disorders and ethical issues."--Excerpted from abstract provided by publisher.
- Geriatric nutrition 2007CRCnetBASE1. The aging society and nutrition epidemiology / Shailaja Pulisetty and John E. Morley -- 2. Molecular theories of aging and nutritional interventions / H.J. Armbrecht -- 3. The role of nutrition in the prevention of age-associated diseases / John E. Morley -- 4. Obesity in older adults / Gary A. Wittert -- 5. Sarcopenia and cachexia / John E. Morley and Matthew T. Haren -- 6. Immunity and nutrition / Chantri Trinh -- 7. Nutritional requirements in older adults / David R. Thomas -- 8. Energy balance / John E. Morley -- 9. Water metabolism / David R. Thomas and John E. Morley -- 10. Vitamin disorders / Ramzi R. Hajjar and Zeina Nahhas -- 11. Trace elements / John E. Morley -- 12. Nutritional assessment in older persons / David R. Thomas -- 13. Geriatric assessment and its interaction with nutrition / Julie K. Gammack -- 14. Nutritional assessment in the European community / Juergen Martin Bauer and Dorothee Volkert -- 15. The oral cavity and nutrition / Nathalia Garcia and D. Douglas Miley -- 16. Management of protein-energy undernutrition in older adults / David R. Thomas -- 17. Prescription for enteral nutrition / Zareen Syed and Syed H. Tariq.
- Glutamine in clinical nutrition 2015SpringerThis text is the first published volume for health professionals and advanced students that examines the biochemistry, clinical nutrition, and therapeutic aspects of glutamine. Drs. Rajendram, Preedy, and Patel are experts in their respective fields and have gathered an august list of contributors that represent the medical profession as well as the academic research community. Glutamine in Clinical Nutrition provides a timely, comprehensive, evidence-based review on the literature that presents the application of current nutritional knowledge by physicians and dietitians and incorporates emerging fields of science and important discoveries. Notable topics include coverage on manganese toxicity and the glutamine-glutamate cycle, glutamine supplementation in HIV, glutamine addiction of cancer cells, glutamine supplementation during major surgery and in intensive care, and glutamine concerns with regards to sepsis, trauma, diabetes, and other diseases. The final chapter provides a wealth of information on web-based resources and suggested readings for the health provider. Written by authors of international and national standing, leaders in the field and trendsetters, Glutamine in Clinical Nutrition is essential reading for nutritionists and dietitians, public health scientists, physicians, epidemiologists, policy makers, and health care professionals of various disciplines.
- Handbook of antioxidants. 2nd ed., rev. and expanded. 2002CRCnetBASEI. General Topics -- 1. Food-Derived Antioxidants: How to Evaluate Their Importance in Food and In Vivo / Barry Halliwell -- 2. Measurement of Total Antioxidant Capacity in Nutritional and Clinical Studies / Guohua Cao and Ronald L. Prior -- 3. Quantification of Isoprostanes as Indicators of Oxidant Stress In Vivo / Jason D. Morrow, William E. Zackert, Daniel S. Van der Ende, Erin E. Reich, Erin S. Terry, Brian Cox, Stephanie C. Sanchez, Thomas J. Montine, and L. Jackson Roberts -- II. Vitamin E -- 4. Efficacy of Vitamin E in Human Health and Disease / Sharon V Landvik, Anthony T. Diplock, and Lester Packer -- 5. Vitamin E Bioavailability, Biokinetics, and Metabolism / Maret G. Traber -- 6. Biological Activity of Tocotrienols / Stefan U. Weber and Gerald Rimbach -- III. Vitamin C -- 7. Vitamin C: From Molecular Actions to Optimum Intake / Sebastian J. Padayatty, Rushad Daruwala, Yaohui Wang, Peter K. Eck, Jian Song, Woo S. Koh, and Mark Levine -- 8. Vitamin C and Cardiovascular Diseases / Anitra C. Carr and Balz Frei -- 9. Epidemiological and Clinical Aspects of Ascorbate and Cancer / James E. Enstrom -- IV. Carotenoids -- 10. Carotenoids: Linking Chemistry, Absorption, and Metabolism to Potential Roles in Human Health and Disease / Denise M. Deming, Thomas W-M. Boileau, Kasey H. Heintz, Christine A. Atkinson, and John W. Erdman, Jr. -- 11. Antioxidant Effects of Carotenoids: Implication in Photoprotection in Humans / Wilhelm Stahl and Helmut Sies -- 12. Oxidative Breakdown of Carotenoids and Biological Effects of Their Metabolites / Werer G. Siems, Olaf Sommerburg, and Frederik J.G.M. van Kuijk -- 13. Carotenoids in the Nutrition of Infants / Olaf Sommerburg, Wener G. Siems, Kristina Meissner and Michael Leichsenring -- 14. Human Studies on Bioavailability and Serum Response of Carotenoids / Elizabeth J. Johnson -- V. Polyphenols and Flavonoids -- 15. Caffeic Acid and Related Antioxidant Compounds: Biochemical and Cellular Effects / João Laranjinha -- 16. Polyphenols and Flavonoids Protect LDL Against Atherogenic Modifications / Bianca Fuhrman and Michael Aviram -- 17. Phytoestrogen Content in Foods and Their Role in Cancer / Anna H. Wu and Malcolm C. Pike -- 18. Peroxynitrite Scavenging by Mitochondrial Reductants and Plant Polyphenols / Alberto Boveris, Silvia Alvarez, Silvia Lores Araiz, and Laura B. Valdez -- VI. Antioxidants in Beverages and Herbal Products -- 19. Antioxidant and Other Properties of Green and Black Tea / Philip J. Rijken, Douglas A. Balentine, C. A. J. van Mierlo, I. Paetau-Robinson, E van de Put, Paul T Quinlan, Ute M. Weisgerber, and Sheila A. Wiseman -- 20. The Phenolic Wine Antioxidants / Andrew L. Waterhouse -- 21. French Maritime Pine Bark: Pycnogenol / Gerald Rimbach, Fabio Virgili, and Lester Packer -- 22. Spices as Potent Antioxidants with Therapeutic Potential / Bharat B. Aggarwal, Nihal Ahmad, and Hasan Mukhtar -- VII. Lipoic Acid and Glutathione -- 23. Lipoic Acid: Cellular Metabolism, Antioxidant Activity, and Clinical Relevance / Oren Tirosh, Sashwati Roy, and Lester Packer -- 24. Cellular Effects of Lipoic Acid and Its Role in Aging / Regis Moreau, Wei-Jian Zhang, and Tory M. Hagen -- 25. Vascular Complications in Diabetes: Mechanisms and the Influence of Antioxidants / Peter Rösen, Hans-Jürgen Tritschler, and Lester Packer -- 26. Therapeutic Effects of Lipoic Acid on Hyperglycemia and Insulin Resistance / Erik J. Henriksen -- 27. Bioavailability of Glutathione / Dean P. Jones -- VIII. Melatonin -- 28. Antioxidant Capacity of Melatonin / Russel J. Reiter, Dun-xian Tan, Lucien C. Manchester, and Juan R. Calvo -- 29. Radical and Reactive Intermediate-Scavenging Properties of Melatonin in Pure Chemical Systems / Maria A. Livrea, Luisa Tesoriere, Dun-xian Tan, and Russel J. Reiter -- IX. Selenium -- 30. Selenium: An Antioxidant? / Regina Brigelius-Flohé, Matilde Maiorino, Fulvio Ursini, and Leopold Flohé -- 31. Selenium Status and Prevention of Chronic Diseases / Paul Knekt -- X. Nitric Oxide -- 32. Antioxidant Properties of Nitric Oxide / Homero Rubbo and Rafael Radi.
- Handbook of behavior, food and nutrition 2011Springer"In this book the editors aim to disseminate important data pertaining to the modulatory effects of foods and nutritional substances on behavior and neurological pathways and visa versa. This ranges from the neuroendocrine control of feeding to the effects of disease on the brain. The importance of this book pertains to the fact that food is an essential component of cultural heritage but the effects of perturbations in the food-cognitive axis can be quite profound. The complex inter-relationship between neuropsychological processing, diet and beharioural outcome is explored within the context of the most contemporary psychobiological research in the area. This comprehensive psychobiologically and pathology-themed text examines the broad spectrum of diet, behavioural and neuropsychological interactions from normative function to occurrences of severe and enduring psychopathology. The editors have taken a scientific and objective stand and included chapters that scrutinize the relationships between the brain, behaviour, food and nutrition in a scientific and rational way"--Preface.
- Handbook of clinical nutrition and aging. 3rd ed. 2015SpringerThis is the new and fully revised third edition of the well-received text that is the benchmark book in the field of nutrition and aging. The editors (specialists in geriatric nutrition, medical sociology, and clinical nutrition, respectively) and contributors (a panel of recognized academic nutritionists, geriatricians, clinicians, and other scientists) have added a number of new chapters and have thoroughly updated the widely acclaimed second edition. This third edition provides fresh perspectives and the latest scientific and clinical developments on the interaction of nutrition with age-associated disease and provides practical, evidence-based options to enhance this at-risk population?s potential for optimal health and disease prevention. Chapters on a wide range of topics, such as the role of nutrition in physical and cognitive function, and coverage of an array of clinical conditions (obesity, diabetes, heart failure, cancer, kidney disease, osteoporosis), compliment chapters on food insecurity, anti-aging and nutritional supplements, making this third edition uniquely different from previous editions. Handbook of Clinical Nutrition and Aging, Third Edition, is a practical and comprehensive resource and an invaluable guide to nutritionists, physicians, nurses, social workers and others who provide health care for the ever-increasing aging population.
- Handbook of clinical nutrition and stroke 2013SpringerHandbook of Clinical Nutrition and Stroke is a comprehensive reference on nutrition for the multidisciplinary team caring for stroke patients. Targeting physicians, nurse practitioners, clinical dietitians, and advanced allied health and medical students, this volume provides an introduction on the different types of stroke, associated risk factors, and uniquely featured global perspectives on stroke. In addition to discussing stroke risk factors, the book expands upon treatment and management from the acute care setting through rehabilitation, captures the lifespan of patients affected by stroke.
- Handbook of dairy foods and nutrition. 3rd ed. 2007CRCnetBASEThe importance of milk and milk products in the diet -- Dairy foods and cardiovascular health -- Dairy foods and cancer -- Dairy foods and bone health -- Dairy foods and oral health -- Dairy foods and a healthy weight -- Lactose digestion -- Contribution of dairy foods to health throughout the lifecycle.
- Handbook of diet, nutrition, and the skin 2012Springer[Part 1] Introduction -- 1. The Skin: an introduction / N. B. Silverberg -- [Part 2] General aspects of skin, nutrition and diet -- 2. Gut bacteria and skin health / R. Iizuka -- 3. The fatty acids and the skin: a focus on the n-6 family of unsaturated fatty acids / H. S. Hansen -- 4. Role of vitamin B6 in skin health and diseases / N. Kato -- 5. Antioxidants and skin: an overview / Y. Wu, H.-D. Chen, Y.-H. Li, X.-H. Gao and V. R. Preedy -- [Part 3] Micronutrients -- 6. The Skin and vitamin D / D. D. Bikle -- 7. Vitamin C, gene expression and skin health / T. L. Duarte and I. F. Almeida -- 8. Strategies for vitamin E transdermal delivery / S. Trombino -- 9. Vitamin E chemistry, biological activity and benefits on the skin / R. Cassano -- 10. Dietary tocotrienol and UVB-induced skin damage / K. Yamashita -- 11. Zinc and skin health: an overview / H. K. Bangash and A. Sethi -- 12. Iron and skin health: iron stimulates skin function / T. Hirobe -- [Part 4] Nutraceuticals and skin -- 13. Skin photoprotection and nutraceuticals: an overview / P. Morganti -- 14. Effect of flaxseed- and borage oil ingestion on skin conditions / U. Heinrich -- 15. Dietary red ginseng and skin protection / Y. Cho -- 16. Dietary grape seed proanthocyanidins and skin cancer / S.K. Katiyar -- 17. Olive oil as a skin protector / M. Viola -- 18. Protective effect of garlic in skin cancer / T. Saha -- 19. Pre- and probiotics for human skin / J. Krutmann -- 20. Curcumin (turmeric) and its evolving role in skin health / A. Sethi -- 21. Protective effects of vitamin C derivatives on skin atrophy caused by Sod1 deficiency / T. Shimizu -- [Part 5] Skin cancer, nutrition and diet -- 22. Omega-3 Fatty acids and non-melanoma skin cancer / H.S. Black -- 23. Skin cancer and folate metabolism / M. Laing -- 24. Vitamin D and skin cancer / R.S. Mason -- [Part 6] Specific skin conditions in relation to diet and nutrition -- 25. Acne and nutrition / C.C. Zouboulis -- 26. Food allergy and atopic dermatitis / S.S. Lee -- 27. Fructo-oligosaccharides and skin inflammation / K. Sonoyama.
- Handbook of dietary fiber 2001CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of fermented functional foods 2003CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of food enzymology 2003CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of food fortification and health. Volume 1-2 from concepts to public health applications v. 1-2, 2013Springervol. 2 Springer
- Handbook of food-drug interactions 2003CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of functional lipids 2006CRCnetBASE
- Growth is one of the human bodys most intricate processes: each body part or region has its own unique growth patterns. Yet at the individual and population levels, growth patterns are sensitive to adverse conditions, genetic predispositions, and environmental changes. And despite the bodys capacity to compensate for these developmental setbacks, the effects may be far-reaching, even life-long. The Handbook of Growth and Growth Monitoring in Health and Disease brings this significant and complex field together in one comprehensive volume: impact of adverse variables on growth patterns; issues at different stages of prenatal development, childhood, and adolescence; aspects of catch-up growth, endocrine regulation, and sexual maturation; screening and assessment methods; and international perspectives. Tables and diagrams, applications to other areas of health and disease, and summary points help make the information easier to retain. Together, these 140 self-contained chapters in 15 sections [ok?] cover every area of human growth, including:Intrauterine growth retardation.Postnatal growth in normal and abnormal situations.Cells and growth of tissues.Sensory growth and development.Effects of disease on growth.Methods and standards for assessment of growth, and more. The Handbook of Growth and Growth Monitoring in Health and Disease is an invaluable addition to the reference libraries of a wide range of health professionals, among them health scientists, physicians, physiologists, nutritionists, dieticians, nurses, public health researchers, epidemiologists, exercise physiologists, and physical therapists. It is also useful to college-level students and faculty in the health disciplines, and to policymakers and health economists.
- Handbook of hygiene control in the food industry 2005CRCnetBASEpt. 1. Risks -- pt. 2. Improving design -- pt. 3. Improving hygiene management and methods.
- Handbook of minerals as nutritional supplements 2005CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of nutraceuticals v. 1-2, 2009-2011.CRCnetBASE, Access restricted to Stanford communityv. 2, 2011 CRCnetBASEv. 1. Ingredients, formulations, and applications -- v. 2. Scale-up, processing and automation
- Handbook of nutraceuticals and functional foods 2001CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of nutraceuticals and functional foods. 2nd ed. 2007CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of nutrition and food. Third edition. [3rd ed.] 2014CRCnetBASE"Beginning with an overview of food and food constituents, the book outlines current nutrient analysis systems, techniques for data analysis, and food labeling. The book reviews nutrition science including terminology, biochemistry, nutrient-nutrient interactions, and comparative nutrition. There is a detailed assessment in section three on nutritional needs throughout the lifecycle. It highlights exercise and the value of vegetarian diets in health promotion and disease prevention. Section four considers issues surrounding nutritional assessment, screening, and monitoring tools including questionnaires, and anthropometric-, psychological-, and energy-assessments--Provided by publisher.
- Handbook of nutrition and ophthalmology 2007SpringerNutrition blindness: vitamin A deficiency disorders -- Cataract -- Age-related macular degeneration -- The obesity epidemic: implications for eye health -- Nutrition and diabetic retinopathy -- Retinal vascular disease -- Nutritional amblyopia and B vitamin complex deficiencies -- Zinc and eye health -- Vitamin C and eye health -- The age-related proinflammatory state and eye disease -- Essential fatty acids and visual development in infants -- Inborn errors of metabolism.
- Handbook of nutrition in the aged. 4th ed. 2009CRCnetBASENutrition and electrolytes in the elderly / Marthe J. Moseley -- Vitamins and health in older persons / David R. Thomas -- Undernutrition and refeeding in elderly subjects / Patrice Brocker and Stéphane M. Schneider -- Nutrition and the geriatric surgery patient / Sheldon Winkler, Meredith C. Bogert, and Charles K. Herman -- The role of micronutrients in preventing infections in the elderly / Alia El-Kadiki -- Antioxidants and heart disease / Vijaya Juturu and Vidyasagar Sriramoju -- Cardiometabolic syndrome, diabetes and oxidative stress : focus on the aging population / Hussein Naji Yassine and Craig S. Stump -- Calcium and vitamin D in aging populations / Zhao Chen and Jeffrey Stanaway -- Lipid absorption in aging / Laurie Drozdowski ... [et al.] -- Caffeine and the older person / Hilary A. Wynne -- Vitamin K and health in the aged / Jennifer Truong and Sarah L. Booth -- The role of diet in slowing or accelerating aging / Saeed Hosseini and Reza Ghiasvand -- Nutrition and cancer prevention : an overview / Elaine B. Trujillo and John A. Milner -- Potential role of resveratrol in preventing inflammation and diseases associated with obesity and aging / Kathleen LaPoint and Michael K. McIntosh -- Health benefits of phytochemicals for older adults / Giuliana Noratto ... [et al.] -- Management of insulin resistance with Chinese herbs / Jianping Ye and Jun Yin -- Nutritional antioxidants and prevention of cataract / William G. Christen -- Herbal treatment of ischemia / Baowan Lin -- Can fruit and vegetable consumption oppose the negative health effects of tobacco? / Eliane Kellen and Geertruida E Bekkering -- Weight loss in elderly people / Aránzazu Aparicio ... [et al.] -- Food intake regulation and aging / Roger B. McDonald and Jessica Coppola.
- Handbook of obesity intervention for the lifespan 2009SpringerThis title discusses obesity and shows how it is a major risk factor for a variety of cardiovascular, cardiopulmonary, endocrinologic, metabolic, musculoskeletal, and behavioral disorders.
- Why obesity prevention? -- What is obesity? Definitions matter -- Descriptive epidemiology of obesity in the United States -- Costs of obesity -- Obesity prevention concepts and frameworks -- Consumer perspectives and consumer action -- The role of government in preventing obesity -- Planning and the built environment -- The food industry role in obesity prevention -- Media, marketing and advertising and obesity -- Global context of obesity -- Organizational change for obesity prevention-perspectives, possibilities and potential pitfalls -- Community-based approaches to obesity prevention: the role of environmental and policy change -- Health care system approaches to obesity -- Workplace approaches to obesity prevention -- Obesity prevention in school and group child care settings -- Individual behavior change -- Obesity risk factors and prevention in early life: pre-gestation through infancy -- Obesity prevention during preschool and elementary school-age years -- Obesity prevention during preadolescence and adolescence -- Obesity prevention during adulthood -- Obesity prevention: charting a course to a healthier future.
- Handbook of organic food safety and quality 2007CRCnetBASEIntroduction / C. Leifert -- History and concepts of food quality and safety in organic food production and processing / U. Niggli -- Nutritional quality of foods / C.J. Seal and K. Brandt -- Quality assurance, inspection and certification of organic foods / B. van Elzakker and J. Neuendorff -- A new food quality concept based on life processes / J. Bloksma, M. Norholt, M. Huber, G-J. van der Burgst and L. van de Vijver -- Food consumers and organic agriculture / E. Oughton and C. Ritson -- Effects of organic and conventional feeding regimes and husbandry methods on the quality of milk and dairy products / R.F. Weller, C.L. Marley and J.M. Moorby -- Effects of organic husbandry methods and feeding regimes on poultry quality / H. Hirt and E. Zeltner -- Quality in organic, low-input and conventional pig production / A. Sundrum -- Organic livestock husbandry methods and the microbiological safety of ruminant produciton systems / F. Deiz-Gonzalez -- Reducing antibiotic use for mastitis treatment in organic dairy production systems / P. Klocke, M. Walkenhorst, and G. Butler -- Reducing anthelmintic use for the control of internal parasites in organic livestock systems / V. Maurer, P. Hördegen and H. Hertzberg -- Alternative therapies to reduce enteric bacterial infections and improve the microbiological safety of pig and poultry production systems / B. Biavati, C. Santini, C. Leifert -- Dietary exposure to pesticides from organic and conventional food production systems / C. Benbrook -- Levels and potential healty impacts of nutritionally relevant phytochemicals in organic and conventional food production systems / E.A.S. Rosa, R.N. Bennett and A. Aires -- Improving the quality and shelf life of fruit from organic production systems / F.P. Weibel and T. Alföldi -- Strategies to reduce mycotoxin and fungal alkaloid contamination in organic and conventional cereal production systems / U. Köpke, B. Thiel and S. Elmholt -- Reducing copper-based fungicide use in organic crop production systems / R. Ghorbani and S. Wilcockson -- Pre-harvest strategies to ensure the microbiological safety of fruit and vegetables from manure-based production systems / U. Köpke, J. Krämer and C. Leifert -- Post-harvest strategies to reduce enteric bacteria contamination of vegetable, nut and fruit products / G.S. Johanssen -- Fair trade : a basis for adequate producers’ incomes, farm reinvestment and quality and safety focused production / M. Bourlakis and C. Vizard -- Development of quality assurance protocols to prevent GM-contamination of organic crops / R.C. Van Acker, N. McLean and R.C. Martin -- Integration of quality parameters into food safety focused HACCP systems / K. Brandt, L. Lück, U. Kjœrnes, G.S. Wyss, and A. Hartvig Larsen.
- Handbook of prebiotics 2008CRCnetBASEEndocrinology of the gastro-intestinal tract and modulation of satiety: specific focus on glucagon like peptide-1 / R. Burcelin & P.D. Cani -- Prebiotics and modulation of gastrointestinal peptides / P.D. Cani, R. Burcelin & C. Knauf -- Designing studies and rodent models for studying prebiotics for colorectal cancer prevention / N.J. Emenaker & J.A. Milner -- Colorectal cancer prevention: the role of prebiotics / A. Umar, N.J. Emenaker & J.A. Milner -- Prebiotics and reduction of risk of carcinogenesis: review of experimental and human data / A. Klinder, M. Glei & B.L. Pool-Zobel -- Prebiotics and cancer therapy / H.S. Taper & M.B. Roberfroid -- Pathophysiology of inflammatory bowel diseases / F.Hoentjen & L. A. Dieleman -- Prebiotics in inflammatory bowel diseases / F. Guarner -- Prebiotics and infant nutrition / Y. Vandenplas ... [et al.] -- Prebiotics and nutrition in the elderly: the concept of healthy aging / I.R. Rowland & C. Gill -- Prebiotics and animal nutrition / J. Van Loo -- Food applications of prebiotics / A. Franck -- Prebiotics and food safety / G. Pascal -- Concluding remarks / G.R Gibson & M.B. Roberfroid. General introduction: prebiotics in nutrition / M.B Roberfroid -- Gastrointestinal microflora and interactions with gut mucosa / A.L. Wells, D.M.A. Saulnier, and G.R. Gibson -- Prebiotics: concept: definition, criteria, methodologies, and products / M.B. Roberfroid -- The prebiotic effect: review of experimental and human data / S. Kolida and G.R.Gibson -- Effects of prebiotics on mineral absorption: mechanisms of action / I.J. Griffin & S.A. Abrams -- Prebiotics and the absorption of minerals, a review of experimental and human data / K.M. Hawthorne & S.A. Abrams -- Immune functions and mechanisms in the gastrointestinal tract / A. Dubert-Ferrandon, D.S. Newburg & W.A. Walker -- Prebiotics and the immune system: review of experimental and human data / S. Seifert & B. Watzl -- Triacylglycerols and cholesterol metabolism / M.Beylot, F. Forcheron & D. Letexier -- Prebiotics and lipid metabolism: review of experimental and human data / N.M. Delzenne & A.M. Neyrinck --
- Handbook of vitamins. Fifth edition. [5th ed.] 2014CRCnetBASEChapter 1. Vitamin A : nutritional aspects of retinoids and carotenoids / A. Catherine Ross and Earl H. Harrison -- chapter 2. Vitamin D / Wei Zheng and Dorothy Teegarden -- chapter 3. Vitamin K / John W. Suttie -- chapter 4. Vitamin E / Maret G. Traber -- chapter 5. Niacin / James B. Kirkland -- chapter 6. Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) / John Thomas Pinto and Richard Saul Rivlin -- chapter 7. Thiamine / Lucien Bettendorff -- chapter 8. Pantothenic acid / Robert B. Rucker and Kathryn Bauerly -- chapter 9. Vitamin B6 / Shyamala Dakshinamurti and Krishnamurti Dakshinamurti -- chapter 10. Biotin / Donald M. Mock -- chapter 11. Folate / Lynn B. Bailey, Vanessa da Silva, Allyson A. West, and Marie A. Caudill -- chapter 12. Vitamin B12 / Ralph Green and Joshua W. Miller -- chapter 13. Choline / Xinyin Jiang, Jian Yan, and Marie A. Caudill -- chapter 14. Ascorbic acid / Carol S. Johnston, Francene M. Steinberg, and Robert B. Rucker -- chapter 15. Vitamins, bioactive food compounds, and histone modifications / Janos Zempleni, Elizabeth L. Cordonier, Scott R. Baier, and Jing Xue -- chapter 16. Vitamin-genome interactions / Patrick J. Stover.
- HDL handbook biological functions and clinical implications. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2014ScienceDirectThe HDL Handbook: Biological Functions to Clinical Implications brings laboratory research in HDL from bench to bedside in this needed resource for researchers and clinicians studying cholesterol, lipids, epidemiology, biochemistry, molecular medicine, and pathophysiology of cardiovascular diseases. In addition, researchers and clinicians working with an aging population, corporate researchers, post-doctorates; medical students and graduate students will find this publication useful because the scope of coverage includes basic science, genetics, epidemiology, and treatment of HDL cholesterol as well as potential targets to modify HDL cholesterol. Provides bench-to-bedside coverage of HDL with thorough coverage of basic science, genetics, epidemiology, and treatment Presents a complete update with six new chapters on the latest advances in HDL cholesterol research with international perspective New chapters on proteomics, clinical impact of LCAT in HDL metabolism, and an in-depth discussion of potential targets to modify HDL provide a translational reference for clinicians.
- Adolescent health globally : issues and challenges / Patton, G.C.; Sawyer, S.M. -- Preconception care and nutrition interventions in low- and middle-income countries / Bhutta, Z.A.; Lassi, Z.S. -- Adolescent health and nutrition in the US and Canada : an overview of issues and determinants / Cidro, J.; Suleman, S.; Leslie, K.; Amaria, K.; Hartman, B.; Thompson, G.; Freeman, J.; Bismila, Z.; Bismila, V.; Moore, E.; Morgan, R.; Alebraheem, Z.; Kaufman, M. -- Nutrition challenges and issues of relevance to adolescents in low- and middle-income countries / Prentice, A.M. -- Social determinants of health in adolescents and young women's health and nutrition : current evidence / Fatusi, A.O.; Bello, B. -- Platforms for delivery of adolescent-friendly health care / Sawyer, S.M.; Patton, G.C. -- Polycystic ovary syndrome in young women : issues and consequences / Norman, R.J.; Moran, L.J. -- Obesity, prediabetes, and diabetes in adolescents and women : evidence-based interventions / Lassi, Z.S.; Bhutta, Z.A. -- Interventions before and during pregnancy to minimize the risks of an overweight pregnancy / Dekker Nitert, M.; Matusiak, K.; Barrett, H.L.; Callaway, L.K. -- Understanding drivers of dietary behavior before and during pregnancy in industrialized countries / Malek, L.; Umberger, W.; Zhou, S.J.; Makrides, M.
- Healthful lipids 2005CRCnetBASETrans fatty acids in foods and their labeling regulations / Nimal W.M. Ratnayake and C. Zehaluk -- Safety, regulatory aspects, and public acceptance of genetically modified lipids / Ravigadevi Sambanthamurthi, Sharifah Shahrul, and G.K. Ahmad Parveez -- Production, processing, and refining of oils / Ernesto Hernandez -- Novel hydrogenation for low trans fatty acids in vegetable oils / Mun Yhung Jung and David B. Min -- Analysis of lipids by new hyphenated techniques / Huiling Mu -- Supercritical fluid processing of nutritionally functional lipids / Jerry W. King -- Short-path distillation for lipid processing / Xuebing Xu -- Fat crystallization technology / Serpil Metin and Richard Hartel -- Dietary fatty acids and their influence on blood lipids and lipoproteins / Tilakavati Karupaiah, Mohd Ismail Noor, and Kalyana Sundram -- Essential fatty acid metabolism to self-healing agents / William E.M. Lands -- Dietary n-6:n-3 fatty acid ratio and health / Sarah Gebauer ... [et al.] -- CLA sources and human studies / Marianne O'Shea, Margriet van der Zee, and Inge Mohede -- Lipids with antioxidant properties / Jan Pokorny and Jana Parkanyiova -- G-linolenic acids : the health effects / Rakesh Kapoor -- Phytosterols and phytosterol esters / Robert A. Moreau -- The effects of eicosapentaenoic acid in various clinical conditions / Andrew Sinclair ... [et al.] -- Lipase reactions applicable to purification of oil- and fat-related materials / Yuji Shimada -- Enzymatic synthesis of symmetrical triacylglycerols containing polyunsaturated fatty acids / Tsuneo Yamane -- Patent review on lipid technology / Oi-Ming Lai, Seong-Koon Lo, and Casimir C. Akoh -- Genetic enhancement and modification of oil-bearing crops / G.K. Ahmad Parveez and Ravigadevi Sambanthamurthi -- Genetically engineered oils / David Hildebrand and Lewamy Mamadou -- Emulsion technologies to produce oxidative stable emulsions containing n-3 fatty acids / Min Hu, Eric A. Decker, and D. Julian McClements -- Chemistry for oxidative stability of edible oils / Eunok Choe, Jiyeun Lee, and David Min -- Structured and specialty lipids / Casimir C. Akoh -- Lipids in infant formulas and human milk fat substitutes / Nikolaus Weber and Kumar D. Mukherjee -- Cocoa butter, cocoa butter equivalents, and cocoa butter replacers / Kazuhisa Yamada, Masahisa Ibuki, and Thomas McBrayer -- Margarine and baking fats / Vijai K.S. Shukla -- Nutritional characteristics of diacylglycerol oil and its health benefits / Noboru Matsuo -- Plant stanol ester as a cholesterol-lowering ingredient of Benecol foods / Pia Salo ... [et al.] -- Palm oil, its fractions, and components / Oi-Ming Lai.
- Preface -- Part 1. Physiology of HDL -- Part 2. Pathology of HDL -- Part 3. Possible Indications and Target Mechanisms of HDL Therapy -- Part 4. Treatments for Dyslipidemias and Dysfunction of HDL.
- Introduction to high-density lipoprotein, dyslipidemia, and coronary heart disease -- Regulation of ApoA-I gene expression and prospects to increase plasma ApoA-I and HDL levels -- High density lipoprotein particles -- The kinetics and remodeling of HDL particles: lessons from inborn errors of lipid metabolism -- HDL structure, function, and anti-inflammatory properties -- Human apolipoprotein A-I deficiency -- Human apolipoprotein A-I mutants -- ATP binding cassette A1 transporter function and Tangier disease -- The role ABCG1 in cellular cholesterol efflux: relevance to atherosclerosis and endothelial function -- In vitro studies and mass flux of cholesterol between serum and macrophages -- Genetic LCAT deficiency: molecular diagnosis, plasma lipids, and atherosclerosis -- Human cholesteryl ester transfer protein in human HDL metabolism -- The HDL receptor SR-BI -- Genetic loci influencing plasma high density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations in humans -- Nutritional and lifestyle factors and high-density lipoprotein metabolism -- Effects of ethanol intake on high density lipoprotein metabolism in humans -- Effects of estrogen on HDL metabolism -- Effects of niacin on HDL metabolism -- Effects of statins on HDL metabolism -- Therapeutic regulation of high-density lipoprotein transport in the metabolic syndrome -- Effects of cholesterol ester transfer protein inhibition on HDL metabolism -- HDL infusion therapy -- High-density lipoproteins, dyslipidemia, and heart disease: past, present, and future.
- Home care enteral feeding 2005KargerMalnutrition in the developing world: the lack of food scenario / D. Labadarios -- Are older people starving to death in a world of plenty? -- D.R. Thomas -- Physiological vs. pathological changes of nutritional status over life time -- M.J. Müller ... [et al.] -- Home enteral nutrition demographics and utilization in the United States / M.H. Delegge -- Home enteral nutrition epidemiology and legislation in Europe / A. Van Gossum -- When does malnutrition become a risk? / L. Genton ... [et al.] -- What are the goals of nutrition support? The example of home enteral nutrition / X. Hʹebuterne, S.M. Schneider, -- Oral protein and energy supplementation in older people: a systematic review of randomized trials / A.C. Milne, A. Avenell, J. Potter -- Efficacy of enteral and parenteral nutrition in cancer patients / F. Bozzetti, V. Bozzetti, -- Ethics and economics of nutritional support / A.L. Buchman -- Pathophysiology of weight loss in older persons / J.E. Morley -- Interaction between nutrition, intestinal flora and the gastrointestinal immune system / H. Lochs -- Psychoimmunology of nutrition / B. Lesourd -- How can we impact the immune system with pre- and probiotics? / E.J. Schiffrin, A. Donnet, S. Blum -- How can we modulate cytokine production and action? / L. Cynober -- How can we improve functional outcomes? / M. Elia.
- Honey in traditional and modern medicine 2014CRCnetBASECh. 1. Honey : an ethnomedicine / Yuva Bellik and Lad̐ Boukra ́-- ch. 2. Honey in Ayurvedic medicine / Surya Prakash and Ratna Rao -- ch. 3. Biochemistry and physicochemical properties of honey / Sevgi Kolayli ... [et al.] -- ch. 4. Healing properties of honey / Lad̐ Boukra ́-- ch. 5. Importance of botanical origin of honeys / Sad́ Aissat and Hama Benbarek -- ch. 6. Leptospermum (Manuka) honey : accepted natural medicine / Yasmina Sultanbawa -- ch. 7. Honey in burn and wound management / Lad̐ Boukra ́-- ch. 8. Honey for gastrointestinal disorders / Fatiha Abdellah and Leila Ait Abderrahim -- ch. 9. Honey for cardiovascular diseases / Tahira Farooqui and Akhlaq A. Farooqui -- ch. 10. Honey for diabetic ulcers / Hasan Ali Alzahrani -- ch. 11. Honey in pediatrics / Juraj Majtan -- ch. 12. Honey and cancer : a sustainable parallel relationship particularly for developing nations / Nor Hayati Othman -- ch. 13. Honey and bee products for animal health and wellness / Lad̐ Boukra ́-- ch. 14. Honey-based formulations and drug purposes / Sad́ Aissat ... [et al.] -- ch. 15. Modern methods of analysis applied to honey / Satyajit D. Sarker and Lutfun Nahar -- ch. 16. Mad honey : the reality / Abd¿lkadir Gunduz and Faik Ahmet Ayaz -- ch. 17. Honey as a nutrient / Md. Ibrahim Khalil and Nadia Alam -- ch. 18. Honey in the food industry / Yuva Bellik and Mokrane Iguerouada -- ch. 19. Culinary uses of honey / Oktay Yildiz, H¿seyin Sahin, and Sevgi Kolayli.
- Human health handbooks v. 1-, 2012-Springer
- Impact of pollution on animal products 2008Springer
- Importance of immunonutrition 2013KargerArginine and asthma / C.R. Morris -- Changes in arginine metabolism during sepsis and critical illness inÿchildren de betue, C.T.I. / N.E.P. Deutz -- Arginine deficiency caused by myeloid cells : importance, identification and treatment / J.B. Ochoa -- Glutamine supplementation in neonates : is there a future? / J. Neu -- Insulin in human milk and the use of hormones in infant formulas / R. Shamir, N. Shehadeh -- Diet, gut enterotypes and health : is there a link? / F.D. Bushman, J.D. Lewis, G.D. Wu -- Understanding immunomodulatory effects of probiotics / B. Pot, B. Folign, C. Daniel, C. Grangette -- Transforming growth factor and intestinal inflammation : the role of nutrition / F.M. Ruemmele, H. Garnier-Lenglin -- Microbiota modulation: can probiotics prevent/treat disease inÿpediatrics? -- / H. Szajewska -- Membrane composition and cellular responses to fatty acid intakes and factors explaining the variation in response / C. Agostoni, P. Ris, F. Marangoni -- Docosahexaenoic acid and its derivative neuroprotectin D1 displayÿneuroprotective properties in the retina, brain and centralÿnervous system / N.G. Bazan, J.M. Calandria, W.C. Gordon -- Branched-chain fatty acids in the neonatal gut and estimated dietary intake in infancy and adulthood / R.R. Ran-Ressler, R.P. Glahn, S. Bae, J.T. Brenna -- Clinical overview of effects of dietary long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids during the perinatal period / S.A. Scholtz, J. Colombo, S.E. Carlson -- Dietary n-3 LC-PUFA during the perinatal period as a strategy to minimize childhood allergic disease / M. Makrides, A.W. Gunaratne, C.T. Collins.
- Improving the fat content of foods 2006CRCnetBASEpt. 1. Dietary fats and health -- pt. 2. Reducing saturated fatty acids in food -- pt. 3. Using polyunsaturated and other modified fatty acids in food products.
- Infant feeding beliefs and practices across cultures: an introduction -- Managing the lactating body: the breastfeeding project in the age of anxiety -- Attitudes to breastfeeding -- The imperative to breastfeed: an Australian perspective -- Infant feeding and the problems of policy -- Shifting identities: social and cultural factors that shape decision-making around sustaining breastfeeding -- Breastfeeding under the blanket: exploring the tensions between health and social attitudes to breastfeeding in the United States, Ireland, and the United Kingdom -- Breastfeeding beliefs and practices among employed women: a Thai cultural perspective -- Good mothers and infant feeding practices among women in Northern Thailand -- Breastfeeding in sub-Saharan Africa: still the best despite the risk of HIV -- Infant feeding in the era of HIV: challenges and opportunities -- Facing competing cultures of breastfeeding: the experience of HIV-positive women in Burkina Faso -- Fluid boundaries: multiple meanings of the illness 'moto' in Northern Malawi -- From traditional to optimal breastfeeding practices: selected cases from Central and Southern Africa -- Hoki kit e ukaipo: reinstating Maori infant care practices to increase breastfeeding rates -- Infant feeding in indigenous Australian communities -- Breastfeeding, vertical disease transmission and the volition of medicines in Malawi -- Infant feeding beliefs and practices in Islamic societies: focusing on rural Turkey -- Early initiation of breastfeeding and its beneficial effects in Japan -- Socio-cultural factors influencing feeding patterns within 6 months postpartum in rural Vietnam -- Infant feeding following migration: attitudes and practices of women born in Turkey and Vietnam after migration to Australia.
- Inflammation, advancing age and nutrition research and clinical interventions. First edition. [1st ed.] 2014ScienceDirectThe book provides a comprehensive overview to understanding the integrated impact of the concepts of cellular and molecular aspects, models, environmental factors, and lifestyle involved in premature aging. Additionally, it examines how functional food, dietary nutraceuticals or pharmacological compounds can reverse inflammation and premature aging based on personalized medicine. This book is a valuable resource for health professionals, scientists and researchers, nutritionists, health practitioners, students and for all those who wish to broaden their knowledge in the allied field.
- Section I. Inflammation, oxidative stress, nutritional phytochemicals, and cancer -- section II. Signal transduction, molecular targets, and biomarkers of dietary cancer-preventive phytochemicals -- section III. In vivo absorption and pharmacokinetics of nutritional phytochemicals -- section IV. Vitamins A, D, and E cancer prevention and clinical perspective -- section V. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids -- section VI. Flavonoids and polyphenols -- section VII. Garlic organosulfur compounds and crucifer glucusinolates -- section VIII. Selenium, herbal medicines, alpha lipoic acid, and cancer prevention -- section IX. Epigenetics and chronic inflammation.
- Ingredient interactions effects on food quality. 2nd ed. 2006CRCnetBASE
- Integrating therapeutic and complementary nutrition 2007CRCnetBASEFundamentals of integrative nutrition / Cynthia A. Thomson and Robert Lutz -- Ayurveda: the mother of traditional medicine / Mari Clements -- Pregnancy and lactation / Amy A. Drescher, Deborah Pesicka, and Judith Shabert -- Infant and child health / Lisbeth Benoit -- Adolescence / Mary Marian, Richard Wahl, and John D. Mark -- Women's health / Pamela Echeverria and Jyotsna Sahni -- Men's health / Aaron W. Crawford -- Skeletal system and joint health / Lisa High ... [et al.] -- Cardiovascular disease / Ellen Augur and Mary Atkinson -- Nervous system / Ame Golaszewski and Leo McCluskey -- Upper gastrointestinal system / Andrea Avery and Pamela Williams -- Promoting small and large bowel health / Susan Roberts and Mary Krystofiak Russell -- Liver disease / Roschelle Heuberger -- Nutrition and the pancreas / M. Patricia Fuhrman ... [et al.] -- Immune system / Ellyn Silverman ... [et al.] -- Renal nutrition / Margaret Furtado and Carlos DaSilva -- Respiratory health / Jennifer Doley, Richard Berry, and Mary Marian -- Ear health / Duke Johnson -- Skin health / Jennifer Doley and Joseph Genebriera. Fundamentals of integrative nutrition / Cynthia Thomson and Robert Lutz -- Ayurveda: the mother of traditional medicine / Mary Clements -- Pregnancy and lactation / Amy Drescher and Judith Shabert -- Infancy & childhood / Lisbeth Benoit and Pamela Williams -- Adolescence / Mary Marian, Richard Wahl, and John D. Mark -- Women's health / Pam Echeverria and Jotysna Sani -- Men's health / Aaron Crawford -- Skeletal & joint health / Lisa High ... [et al.] -- Cardiovascular health / Ellen Augur and Mary Atkinson -- Nervous system / Ame Golaszewski and Leo McCluskey -- Upper gastrointestinal health / Andrea Avery and Pamela Williams -- Diseases of the small and large bowel / Susan Roberts and Mary Russell -- Liver health / Roschelle Heuberger -- Nutrition and the pancreas / M. Patricia Fuhrman ... [et al.] -- The immune system / Ellyn Silverman ... [et al.] -- Renal health / Margaret Furtado and Carlos DaSilva -- Respiratory health / Richard Berry -- Ear health / Duke Johnson -- Skin health / Jennifer Doley and Joseph Genebriera.
- Integrative weight management a guide for clinicians 2014SpringerIntegrative Weight Management: A Guide for Clinicians intends to educate physicians and nutritionists about the wide ranges of approaches to weight control from non-traditional sources. The options for weight management in conventional practices are limited to a small number of medications, a confusing array of dietary approaches and surgical procedures with their inherent risks and complications. Unfortunately medical practitioners are not exposed to nutrition and weight control principles during training and thus are reluctant to manage their patients weight control issues. This volume is structured into 4 sections: Introduction to Weight Management Disorders; Morbidity and Mortality of Obesity; Therapy of Obesity; and Integrative Medicine and Obesity. Integrative Weight Management: A Guide for Clinicians represents a powerful collaboration of dozens of leading experts in the fields of nutrition, weight management and integrative medicine who have managed countless numbers of patients and summarized the research from thousands of articles to create an up-to- date state of the art guide for healthcare practitioners, allied health professionals and public health authorities who manage those who are overweight/obese along with the associated metabolic consequences.
- Interactive probiotics 2014CRCnetBASE"This book underlines the importance of reciprocal interactions between probiotics and humans in terms of stress induction, epigenetic control of cellular responses, oxidative status, bio-active molecules biosynthesis, moonlighting proteins secretion, endogenous toxins neutralization, and several other biological functions. It explores how these responses can affect metabolism and metabolic-related disorders, gutbrain axis balance, mood, inflammatory, allergic and anti-infective reactions, cancer, and ageing. The book explores how probiotics create a dynamic and "fluid" network of signals able to control the balance between healthy and altered human status"--Provided by publisher.
- Country-level action to improve nutrition and health : the case of Chile in the last century / Jimenez, J. -- Global, regional, and country trends in underweight and stunting as indicators of nutrition and health of populations / Neufeld, L.M., Osendarp, S.J.M. -- Global distribution and disease burden related to micronutrient deficiencies / Black, R.E. -- Predicting the health effects of switching infant feeding practices for use in decision-making / Yarnoff, B.O., Allaire, B.T., Detzel, P. -- Addressing the double burden of malnutrition with a common agenda / Uauy, R., Garmendia, M.L., Corvalán, C. -- Summary on world nutrition situation / Uauy, R. -- Interventions to address maternal and childhood undernutrition : current evidence / Bhutta, Z.A., Das, J.K. -- Maternal nutrition interventions to improve maternal, newborn, and child health outcomes / Ramakrishnan, U., Imhoff-Kunsch, B., Martorell, R. -- Fetal growth restriction and preterm as determinants of child growth in the first two years and potential interventions / Christian, P. -- How can agricultural interventions contribute in improving nutrition health and achieving the MDGs in least-developed countries? / Dorward, A. -- Long-term consequences of nutrition and growth in early childhood and possible preventive interventions / Adair, L.S. -- Summary on evidence on interventions and field experiences / Black, R.E. -- The global epidemic of noncommunicable disease : the role of early-life factors / Singhal, A. -- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in developing countries : focus on south Asians / Misra, A., Bhardwaj, S. -- Preventing atopy and allergic disease / Heine, R.G. -- Nutrition and chronic disease : lessons from the developing and developed world / Prentice, A.M. -- Summary on future perspectives / Singhal, A.
- Intestinal failure and rehabilitation a clinical guide 2005CRCnetBASE
- Intravenous lipid emulsions 2015KargerIntroduction to fatty acids and lipids / Burdge, G.C., Calder, P.C. -- Fatty acids, lipid emulsions, and the immune and inflammatory systems / Miles, E.A., Calder, P.C. -- Importance of fatty acids in the perinatal period / Demmelmair, H., Koletzko, B. -- Commercial lipid emulsions and all-in-one mixtures for intravenous infusion : composition and physicochemical properties / Driscoll, D.F. -- In vivo handling and metabolism of lipid emulsions / Carpentier, Y.A., Deckelbaum, R.J. -- Parenteral lipids : safety aspects and toxicity / Wanten, G.J.A. -- Intravenous lipids in preterm infants : impact on laboratory and clinical outcomes and long-term consequences / Vlaardingerbroek, H., Van Goudoever, J.B. -- Intravenous lipid emulsions in term infants : impact on laboratory and clinical outcomes and long-term consequences / Hartman, C., Shamir, R. -- Intestinal failure-associated liver disease and the use of fish oil-based lipid emulsions / Goulet, O.J. -- Intravenous lipids in adult surgical patients / Klek, S., Waitzberg, D.L. -- Intravenous lipids in adult intensive care unit patients / Hecker, M., Mayer, K. -- Intravenous fish oil in adult intensive care unit patients / Heller, A.R. -- Intravenous lipids in home parenteral nutrition / Pironi, L., Agostini, F., Guidetti, M. -- The complexity of prescribing intravenous lipid emulsions / Waitzberg, D.L., Matos de Miranda Torrinhas, R.S. -- Use of intravenous lipids : what do the guidelines say? -- Singer, P., Theilla, M., Cohen, J.
- Inulin-type fructans functional food ingredients 2005CRCnetBASE
- Iron physiology and pathophysiology in humans 2012SpringerCellular iron metabolism -- Proteins of iron homeostasis -- Cellar iron physiology -- Regulation of iron metabolism in mammalian cells -- Concentrating, storing, and detoxifying iron: the ferritins and and hemosiderin -- Iron physiology -- Iron nutrition -- Intestinal iron absorption -- Plasma iron and iron delivery to the tissues -- Iron salvage pathways -- Molecular regulation of systemic iron metabolism -- Erythroid iron metabolism -- Iron and the reticuloendothelial system -- Iron and the immune system -- Disorders of iron homeostasis: anemias -- Iron deficiency -- Liabilities of iron deficiency -- Anemia of inflammation and chronic disease -- Disorders of red cell production and the iron-loading anemias -- Disorders of iron homeostasis: iron overload and related conditions -- Pathology of hepatic iron overload -- Hepatic pathobioogy of iron overload -- HFE-associated hereditary hemochromatosis -- Non-HFE hemochromatosis -- Miscellaneous iron-related disorders -- Iron and liver disease -- Neuropathology and iron: central nervous system iron homeostasis -- Iron metabolism in cancer and infection -- Clinical diagnosis and therapy -- Estimation of body iron stores -- Genetic testing for disorders of iron homeostasis -- Properties of therapeutically useful iron chelators -- Clinical use of iron chelators -- Model systems for studying iron homeostasis -- Mammalian models of iron homeostasis -- Yeast iron metabolism -- Zebrafish models of heme synthesis and iron metabolism.
- Issues in complementary feeding 2007KargerBreastfeeding and complementary feeding of children up to 2 years of age / K.H. Brown -- Does breastfeeding protect from growth acceleration and later obesity? / A. Singhal -- Later effects of breastfeeding practice: the evidence / D. Turck -- Traditional foods vs. manufactured baby foods / E.L. Ferguson, N. Darmon -- Potential contaminants in the food chain: identification, prevention and issue management / F.P. Scanlan -- The microbiological risk / L. Morelli -- Cereal fortification programs in developing countries / S. Bulusu ... [et al.] -- Processed infant cereals as vehicles of functional components / M. Domelléf, C. West -- Functional ingredients in the complementary feeding period and long-term effects / C. Agostoni, E. Riva, M. Giovannini -- The influence of gluten: weaning recommendations for healthy children and children at risk for celiac disease / S. Guandalini -- Allergic infants: growth and implications while on exclusion diets / K. Laitinen, E. Isolauri -- Weaning infants with malnutrition, including HIV / N.W. Solomons -- Adverse effects of cow's milk in infants / E.E. Ziegler -- Whole cow's milk: why, what and when? / K.F. Michaelsen ... [et al.] -- Meat as an early complementary food for infants: implications for macro- and micronutrient intakes / N.F. Krebs -- Functional fermented milk products / O. Brunser, M. Gotteland, S. Cruchet.
- "Updated with the substantial progress made in lactic acid and bacteria research since the third edition, this fourth volume discusses improved insights in genetics and new molecular biological techniques. Thoroughly reorganized, this book incorporates the recent changes in new molecular techniques and the mechanistic understanding of probiotic functionality. The book remains firmly grounded in the basics of lactic acid bacteria; their genetics and taxonomy, their application in food and feed preparation, their health properties, and the legal issues associated with their use"--Provided by publisher.
- Lentil an ancient crop for modern times 2007Springer
- Limits of human endurance 2013KargerCaffeine, exercise, and the brain / R. Meeusen, B. Roelands, L.L. Spriet -- Limits to human endurance : carnitine and fat oxidation / F.B. Stephens, S.D.R. Galloway -- Hydration during intense exercise training / R.J. Maughan, N.L. Meyer -- Intense exercise training and immune function / M. Gleeson, C. Williams -- Physiological and performance adaptations to high-intensity interval training / M.J. Gibala, A.M. Jones -- Effect of beta-alanine supplementation on high-intensity exercise performance / R.C. Harris, T. Stellingwerff -- Dietary protein for muscle hypertrophy / K.D. Tipton, S.M. Phillips -- The role of amino acids in skeletal muscle adaptation to exercise / N. Aguirre, L.J.C. van Loon, K. Baar -- National nutritional programs for the 2012 London Olympic Games : a systematic approach by three different countries / L.M. Burke, N. Meyer, J. Pearce.
- Lipids in health and disease 2008SpringerOffers an account of the properties of the classes of lipids that are located in the membranes of various cells. This title presents a balanced perspective of what is known about the function of these lipids in healthy cells and tissues and what consequences follow malfunctions in their synthesis and metabolism.
- Ethnobotany -- 'Local food-nutraceuticals': bridging the gap between local knowledge and global needs / Heinrich, M. ... [et al.] -- Gathered Mediterranean food plants: ethnobotanical investigations and historical development / Rivera, D. ... [et al.] -- Disseminating knowledge about 'local food plants' and 'local plant foods' / Rivera, D. ... [et al.] -- Biological activities of 'local foods' -- Plant foods and brain aging: a critical appraisal / Schaffer, S. ... [et al.] -- Local food and cardioprotection: the role of phytochemicals / Visioli, F. ... [et al.] -- A vegetable to meat consumption ratio as a relevant factor determining cancer preventive diet. The Mediterranean versus other European countries / Kapiszewska, M. -- Mediterranean diet as a nutrition education and dietary guide: misconceptions and the neglected role of locally consumed foods and wild green plants / Manios, Y. ... [et al.] -- Development of bioactive substances for functional foods: scientific and other aspects / Weber, P., Flühmann, B., Eggersdorfer, M.
- Magnesium in human health and disease 2013SpringerMagnesium is an essential mineral which is required for growth and survival of humans. Since magnesium is a mineral and not synthesizable it must be obtained through dietary foods and/or supplements. Magnesium in Human Health and Disease reviews the benefits of magnesium supplementation to reach recommended intakes as well as provides new research that suggests how reaching levels above the recommended intakes can promote health and treat various diseases. Magnesium deficiency can cause low serum potassium and calcium levels, retention of sodium, and low circulating levels of regulatory hormones. These changes in nutrients cause neurological and muscular symptoms such as tremor and muscle spasms. Further magnesium deficiency causes loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, personality changes and death from heart failure. Causes of magnesium deficiency include alcohol abuse, poorly controlled diabetes, excessive or chronic vomiting and/or diarrhea. Thus the effects of inadequate and deficient intakes or levels of magnesium is critical to health and are reviewed by the expert clinicians in this book. Magnesium in Human Health and Disease provides the most current research to support the potential benefits or lack thereof for normal and high supplementation with magnesium. Animal model research and early human trials are reviewed to document other disease states such as hypertension, cholesterol level, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease that would benefit from increased magnesium.
- Management of eating disorders and obesity. 2nd ed. 2005SpringerBulimia nervosa / Steven J. Romano -- Counseling patients with bulimia nervosa / Tricia Cook Myers and James E. Mitchell -- Pharmacologic therapy of bulimia nervosa / James I. Hudson, Harrison G. Pope, Jr., and William P. Carter -- Prevention of eating disorders: a nutritional perspective / Cheryl L. Rock -- Anorexia nervosa / Steven J. Romano -- Treatment of anorexia nervosa / L.K. George Hsu -- Pharmacological therapy for anorexia nervosa / Walter H. Kaye -- The Internet and eating disorders / David J. Goldstein -- Etiologies of obesity / Richard L. Atkinson -- Medical consequences of obesity and benefits of weight loss / Lalita Khaodhiar and George L. Blackburn -- Obese patients with binge-eating disorder / Marsha D. Marcus and Michele D. Levine -- Overview and the future of obesity treatment / Lisa Terre, Walker S.C. Poston II, and John P. Foreyt -- The role of physical activity, exercise, and nutrition in the treatment of obesity / Edward T. Mannix ... [et al.]. Lifestyle modification in the treatment of obesity / Anthony N. Fabricatore and Thomas A. Wadden -- Very low-calorie diets / Stephen D. Phinney -- Pharmacotherapy of obesity / George A. Bray -- Combination therapies for obesity / Richard L. Atkinson and Gabriel Uwaifo -- Genetics and potential treatments for obesity / José R. Fernández and David J. Goldstein -- The role of hunger and satiety in weight management / Michael Penn and David J. Goldstein -- Surgical interventions for the management of obesity / Scott A. Shikora, David Smith, and Julie J. Kim -- Clinical experience in a comprehensive weight-management center / Judy Loper and Richard A. Lutes -- The multidisciplinary team in the management of obesity / Patrick Mahlen O'Neil and Sherry Rieder -- The Internet and obesity treatment / David J. Goldstein -- Barriers to treatment / Arthur Frank -- Prevention of obesity / Barbara C. Hansen.
- Management of pediatric obesity and diabetes 2011SpringerThe twin epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) continue to affect an ever increasing number of children, adolescents, and young adults. Management of Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes provides healthcare trainees and professionals with practical, comprehensive, and contemporary approaches to the pediatric patient at risk for obesity, T2DM, and related conditions. A unique guide on the subject, this volume provides clinical paradigms for diagnosis and management of pediatric T2DM and related conditions, while succinctly describing state-of-the-art basic and clinical sciences underlying these problems. The chapters in this volume are independent and concise. Each chapter focuses on a key clinical issue or mechanism of disease. Providing practical, data-driven resources based upon the totality of the evidence, this important text helps the reader understand the basics of pediatric obesity and T2DM and implement strategies to prevent and treat obesity and diabetes in children and adolescents. Management of Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes provides health professionals across many areas of research and practice with up-to-date, well-referenced, and comprehensive evidence on identification, treatment, and prevention of these chronic, serious, metabolic diseases in children. This volume will serve the reader as the most authoritative resource in the field to date.
- Print Material
- "Vitamin A plays a key role among the vitamins essential for healthy growth and development. Vitamin A deficiency disorders (VADD) are therefore an important part of general malnutrition that in the majority of cases leads to failure to thrive and underweight. Moreover, apart from adverse effects on health and survival in general, VADD can also lead to blindness, called xerophthalmia, and are also frequently accompanied by various infections. Last but not least, it has become evident that even mild degrees of VAD (and all other forms of nutritional deficiencies) have important adverse implications for health and are thus much more widespread than previously assumed. This publication systematically covers detailed and up-to-date information on every relevant aspect of VADD, with particular emphasis on providing an outline of their setting, nature, and significance. In addition to cutting-edge scientific information, the latest available data on the global occurrence of VAD from the World Health Organization is also included."--Publisher website.
- Marine nutraceuticals and functional foods 2008CRCnetBASEMarine fisheries by-products as potential nutraceuticals: an overview / Se-Kwon Kim, Eresha Mendis, and Fereidoon Shahidi -- Omega-3 oils: sources, applications, and health effects / Fereidoon Shahidi -- Omega-3s and their impact on brain health / Genevieve Young and Julie Conquer -- Omega-3 fatty acids in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases through anti-inflammation and neuroprotection: a review of studies in animal models / Cai Song -- Microencapsulation of marine lipids as a vehicle for functional food delivery / Yulai Jin ... [et al.] -- Chitin and chitosan / Rosalee S. Rasmussen and Michael T. Morrissey -- Production of bioactive chitosan oligosaccharides and their potential use as nutraceuticals / Se-Kwon Kim, Niranjan Rajapakse, and Fereidoon Shahidi -- Glucosamine production and health benefits / Jaroslav A. Kralovec and Colin J. Barrow -- Functional and bioactive peptides from hydrolyzed aquatic food proteins / Hordur G. Kristinsson -- Marine-derived protein hydrolysates, their biological activities and potential as functional food ingredients: ace-inhibitory peptides derived from bonito / Hiroyuki Fujita and Masashi Yoshikawa -- Marine algal constituents / Yvonne V. Yuan -- Beneficial health effects of seaweed carotenoid, fucoxanthin / Kazuo Miyashita and Masashi Hosokawa -- The production and health benefits of astaxanthin / Miguel Olaizola -- Marine algae and polysaccharides with therapeutic applications / J. Helen Fitton, Mohammad R. Irhimeh, and Jane Teas -- Nutraceuticals and functional foods from marine microbes: an introduction to a diverse group of natural products isolated from marine macroalgae, microalgae, bacteria, fungi, and cyanobacteria / Adam M. Burja and Helia Radianingtyas -- Shark cartilage: potential for therapeutic application for cancer--review article / Kenji Sato ... [et al.] -- Calcium from fish bone and other marine resources / Won-Kyo Jung, Fereidoon Shahidi, and Se-Kwon Kim -- Immunoenhancing preparations of marine origin / Jaroslav A. Kralovec and Colin J. Barrow.
- Growth and nutrition during the fetal period and the first 24 months after birth are important determinants of development in early childhood. Optimal nutrition and health care of both the mother and infant during these first 1000 days of an infant's life are closely linked to growth, learning potential and neurodevelopment, in turn affecting long-term outcomes. Children with low birth weight do not only include premature babies, but also those with intrauterine growth restrictions who consequently have a very high risk of developing metabolic syndrome in the future. Epidemiology, epigenetic programming, the correct nutrition strategy and monitoring of outcomes are thus looked at carefully in this book. More specifically, two important nutritional issues are dealt with in depth: The first being the prevention of low birth weight, starting with the health of adolescent girls, through the pre-pregnancy and pregnancy stages and ending with lactation. The second point of focus concerns the nutritional follow-up and feeding opportunities in relation to dietary requirements of children with low birth weight.
- Mediterranean diet constituents and health promotion 2001CRCnetBASE
- Part 1. The Basics of a Mediterranean Diet -- Introduction -- History, Composition, Adherence Scores -- Part 2. Effects on Diseases -- Mechanisms of Action and Effects on Diseases -- Cardiovascular Diseases -- Alzheimer's Disease -- Cancer -- Arthritis, Allergies, and Immunologic Disorders -- Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome -- Part 3. Weight Loss and Obesity -- Weight, Obesity -- Part 4. Macronutrients -- Macronutrients in an Adherence Score: Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats, and Alcohol -- Fats and Oils -- Carbohydrates -- Proteins -- Alcohol -- Part 5. Adopting a Mediterranean Diet -- Goal Is Success in Adoption -- Meal Plans -- Shopping List, Keep On Hand -- Resources -- Recipes.
- Global micronutrient deficiencies in childhood and impact on growth and survival : challenges and opportunities / Imdad, A.; Bhutta, Z.A. -- Micronutrients in the treatment of stunting and moderate malnutrition / Penny, M.E. -- Zinc requirements : assessment and population needs / Hambidge, K.M.; Miller, L.V.; Krebs, N.F. -- Role of zinc in child health and survival / Black, R.E.; Fischer Walker, C. -- Global burden and significance of multiple micronutrient deficiencies in pregnancy / Darnton-Hill, I. -- Intervention strategies to address multiple micronutrient deficiencies in pregnancy and early childhood / Imdad, A.; Bhutta, Z.A. -- Vitamin A supplementation, infectious disease and child mortality : a summary of the evidence / Thorne-Lyman, A.; Fawzi, W.W. -- Issues and controversies with vitamin A in childhood / Murgu¡a Peniche, M.T. -- Influence of inflammatory disorders and infection on iron absorption and efficacy of iron-fortified foods / Hurrell, R.F. -- Safety of iron fortification and supplementation in malaria-endemic areas / Brittenham, G.M. -- Are weaning infants at risk of iodine deficiency even in countries with established iodized salt Programs? / Zimmermann, M.B. -- Current challenges in meeting global iodine requirements / Eastman, C.J.; Jooste, P. -- Folate and vitamin B12 : function and importance in cognitive development / Troen, A.M. -- Pros and cons of increasing folic acid and vitamin B12 intake by fortification / Allen, L.H. -- Concluding remarks.
- Melatonin in the promotion of health. 2nd ed. 2012CRCnetBASE"This new edition presents information on how melatonin is synthesized and produced in the body as well as how this hormone affects several diseases. The book heavily focuses on prevention as well as treatment of various human disease states including behavior disorders, mental disorders, breast cancer, bone health, and gastrointestinal diseases. It covers the role of melatonin in the prevention of oxidative stress, mutagenesis, sun damage, ocular health, gut motility, and detoxification. It also presents mechanisms of melatonin action in humans including cell modulation, signaling mechanisms, protective effects, and melatonin receptors as well as its role as an antioxidant"--Provided by publisher.
- Methods of analysis for functional foods and nutraceuticals 2002CRCnetBASE
- Phytoestrogens / B. Dave Oomah and Farah S. Hosseinian -- Analysis of fatty acids in functional foods with emphasis on [omega] 3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid / Gary Dobson -- Analysis of flavonoids in functional foods and nutraceuticals / Laura Bravo and Raquel Mateos -- Exploitation of residues from vineyards, olive groves, and wine and oil production to obtain phenolic compounds of high-added value / María D. Luque de Castro, José M. Luque-Rodríguez, and Rafael Japón-Luján -- Anthocyanins / Gary Takeoka and Lan Dao -- Carotenoids and provitamin A in functional foods / María Isabel Mí́nguez-Mosquera, Dámaso Hornero-Méndez, and Antonio Pérez-Gálvez -- Chlorophylls / María Isabel Mí́nguez-Mosquera ... [et al.] -- Water-soluble vitamins / Míguel Ángel Fernández-Muiño, María Teresa Sancho-Ortiz, and Felicidad Valls-García -- Amino acid analysis / Larry R. Massom -- Carbohydrates and other electrochemically active compounds in functional foods / William R. LaCourse.
View by page
- Acute topics in sport nutrition — Fluid and electrolytes in pediatrics a comprehensive handbook (100)
- Folate in health and disease. 2nd ed. — Methods of analysis for functional foods and nutraceuticals. 2nd ed. (100)
- Methods of analysis of food components and additives — Perinatal nutrition optimizing infant health and development (100)
- Persisting undernutrition in India causes, consequences and possible solutions — Yeasts in food and beverages (62)
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Large number of high quality software and database programming titles from O'Reilly. Other software titles are also available from Sams and Prentice Hall. Limited to 7 concurrent users.Vast collection of software and database programming titles from multiple publishers, including Microsoft Press.Largest provider of engineering-related eBooks; includes titles in computer science and biomedical engineering.Over 4,000 full-text e-books covering scientific and technical information from CRC Press and others. Many handbooks and single volume reference sources.A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more. Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.Includes peer-reviewed life science and biomedical research protocols compiled from Methods in Molecular Biology, Methods in Molecular Medicine, Methods in Biotechnology, Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuromethods, the Biomethods Handbook, the Proteomics Handbook, and Springer Laboratory Manuals.Contains full text access to selected biomedical and nursing books.Provides one-click access to important clinical resources; includes evidence-based diagnosis and treatment guidelines, Books, EBM articles, Ovid MEDLINE, Drug facts and comparisons, Drug interaction facts, guidelines from National Guideline Clearinghouse, patient handouts (English and Spanish), and local content.ClinicalKey provides access to textbooks, electronic journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.