Books by Subject
- Acute topics in sport nutrition ........
- — Folate in health and disease. 2nd ed. ..
- Food additives. 2nd ed., rev. and exp...
- — Microbial stress adaptation and food ...
- Microbiological risk assessment in fo...
- — Physical activity, dietary calorie re...
- Physical properties of lipids ..........
- — Yeasts in food and beverages ...........
- Food additives. 2nd ed., rev. and expanded. 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Food allergy 2012, ScienceDirect1. Overview of mucosal immunity and development of oral tolerance / Corinne Keet, Robert Wood -- 2. Food antigens / E. N. Clare Mills, Philip E. Johnson, Yuri Alexeev -- 3. Epidemiology of food allergy / Katrina J. Allen, Jennifer J. Koplin -- 4. Clinical overview of adverse reactions to foods / John M. Kelso -- 5. Atopic dermatitis and food allergy / Tamara T. Perry, Debra D. Becton, Stacie M. Jones -- 6. Food-induced urticaria and angioedema / Julia Rodriguez, Jesús F. Crespo -- 7. Pollen-food syndrome / Antonella Muraro, Cristiana Alonzi -- 8. Respiratory tract and food allergy / John M. James -- 9. Food-induced anaphylaxis and food associated exercise-induced anaphylaxis Motohiro Ebisawa -- 10. Eosinophilic gastroenteropathies (eosinophilic esophagitis, eosinophilic gastroenteritis and eosinophilic colitis) / Dan Atkins, Glenn T. Furuta -- 11. Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome, food protein-induced enteropathy, proctocolitis, and infantile colic / Stephanie Ann Leonard, Anna Nowak-Węgrzyn -- 12. Approach to the clinical diagnosis of food allergy / Jonathan O'B. Hourihane -- 13. In vivo and in vitro diagnostic methods in the evaluation of food allergy / S. Allan Bock -- 14. Oral food challenge procedures / Gideon Lack, George Du Toit, Mary Feeney -- 15. Management of food allergy and development of an anaphylaxis treatment plan / Jacqueline Wassenberg, Philippe Eigenmann -- 16. Patient education and empowerment / Kim Mudd, Robert Wood -- 17. Future therapies for food allergies / Anna Nowak-Węgrzyn, Hugh A. Sampson -- 18. Natural history and prevention of food allergy / Scott H. Sicherer, Atsuo Urisu -- 19. Diets and nutrition: cross-reacting food allergens / Vicki McWilliam -- 20. Diagnostic and therapeutic dilemmas: adverse reactions to food additives, pharmacologic food reactions, psychological considerations related to food ingestion / John O. Warner.
- Food allergy 2014, CRCnetBASE
- Food authenticity and traceability 2003, CRCnetBASEAdvanced PRP techniques in identifying food components -- DNA methods for identifying plant and animal species in food -- Enzyme immunoassays for identifying animal species in food -- Proteome and metabolome analyses for food authentication -- Near infra-red absorption technology for analysing food composition -- NMR spectroscopy in food authentication -- Using stable isotope ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS) in food authentication and traceability -- Spectrophotometric techniques -- Gas chromatography -- High pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC) in food authentication -- Enzymatic techniques for authenticating food components -- In-line sensors for food analysis -- Chemometrics in data analysis -- Species identification in processed seafoods -- Meat and meat products -- Milk and dairy products -- Cereals -- Herbs and spices -- Identifying genetically modified organisms (GMOs) -- Wine authenticity -- Traceability in food processing : an introduction -- Developing traceability systems across the supply chain -- Developing and implementing an effective traceability and product recall system -- Traceability in fish processing -- Safety and traceability of animal feed -- Geographic traceability of cheese -- Advanced DNA-based detection techniques for genetically modified food.
- Food biotechnology. 2nd ed. 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Food carbohydrates 2005, CRCnetBASE
- Food chemical safety Vol. 2, Additives / 2002, CRCnetBASEpt. 1. General issues -- pt. 2. Analysing additives -- pt. 3. Specific additives.
- Food consumption and disease risk 2006, CRCnetBASEpt. 1. Factors that influence interactions between foodborne pathogenic agents and consumers -- pt. 2. Human host factors that influence foodborne disease -- pt. 3. Agent factors of pathogenicity and virulence that influence foodborne disease.
- Food factors for health promotion 2009, KargerGenomics for food functionality and safety / Abe, K. -- Lipid metabolism and nutrigenomics : impact of sesame lignans on gene expression profiles and fatty acid oxidation in rat liver / Ide, T. ... [et al.] -- Genome science of lipid metabolism and obesity / Takahashi, N. ... [et al.] -- Oxidative stress-induced posttranslational modification of proteins as a target of functional food / Naito, Y., Yoshikawa, T. -- Absorption and function of dietary carotenoids / Nagao, A. -- Metabolism of flavonoids / Wang, Y., Ho, C.-T. -- [beta]-carotene degradation products : formation, toxicity, and prevention of toxicity / Siems, W. ... [et al.] -- Dietary flavonoids as antioxidants / Terao, J. -- Inflammatory components of adipose tissue as target for treatment of metabolic syndrome / Yu, R., Kim, C.-S., Kang, J.-H. -- Soybean isoflavones in bone health / Ishimi, Y. -- Probiotics in primary prevention of atopic dermatitis / Ji, G.E. -- Astaxanthin protects neuronal cells against oxidative damage and is a potent candidate for brain food / Liu, X., Osawa, T. -- Function of marine carotenoids / Miyashita, K. -- Exercise and food factors / Aoi, W. -- Molecular basis for cancer chemoprevention by green tea polyphenol EGCG / Tachibana, H. -- Chemoprevention by isothiocyanates : molecular basis of apoptosis induction / Nakamura, Y. -- Ginger-derived phenolic substances with cancer preventive and therapeutic potential / Kundu, J.K., Na, H.-K., Surh, Y.-J. -- Chemoprevention with phytochemicals targeting inducible nitric oxide synthase / Murakami, A. -- Chemoprevention of tocotrienols : the mechanism of antiproliferative effect / Wada, S.
- Food lipids. 2nd ed., 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Food oxidants and antioxidants 2014, CRCnetBASE"This volume discusses the effects of naturally occurring and process-generated pro-oxidants and antioxidants on various aspects of food quality. It emphasizes the chemical nature and functional properties of these compounds and their interactions with other food components in storage and processing, specifically focusing on the sensory quality, nutritional value, health promoting activity, and safety aspects of foods. It demonstrates the analysis of pro-oxidants and antioxidants in foods, their mechanism and activity, their chemistry and biochemistry, and the practical considerations of healthy food production and marketing"--Provided by publisher.
- Food phytates 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Food polysaccharides and their applications. 2nd ed. 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Food protein analysis 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Food science and food biotechnology 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Food security and environmental quality in the developing world 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Food, diet and obesity 2005, CRCnetBASE
- Food-drug synergy and safety 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Frontiers in eating and weight regulation 2010, Karger"The development of effective preventive and therapeutic measures to control eating and body weight involves basic physiology as well as cognitive and social psychology. The potential of molecular genetics to illuminate brain-behavior relationships became apparent with the discovery of the leptin gene in 1994. At present, molecular methodologies are being integrated with other physiological approaches, resulting in a number of options from which effective therapeutic strategies may evolve. This book highlights this exciting juncture: Fifteen leading experts present brief descriptions of some of the latest developments of the physiology of eating and weight regulation, ranging from endocrine and neural controls to genetics and functional brain imaging. These Frontier chapters are preceded by a general overview that provides requisite background on the physiology of eating as well as a conceptual framework for the Frontier chapters."--Publisher's description.
- Functional dairy products 2003, CRCnetBASEpt. 1. The health benefits of functional dairy products -- pt. 2. Functional dairy ingredients -- pt. 3. Product development.
- Functional dairy products Vol. 2 / 2007, CRCnetBASEpt. 1. The health benefits of functional dairy products -- pt. 2. Functional dairy ingredients -- pt. 3. Product development.
- Functional food carbohydrates 2007, CRCnetBASEChapter 1. Cereal β-Glucans: Structures, Physical Properties, and Physiological Functions / Athina Lazaridou, Costas G. Biliaderis, and Marta S. Izydorczyk -- Chapter 2. Resistant Starch / Donald B. Thompson -- Chapter 3. Konjac Glucomannan / K. Nishinari and S. Gao -- Chapter 4. Seed Polysaccharide Gums / Steve W. Cui, Shinya Ikeda, and Michael N.A. Eskin -- Chapter 5. Microbial Polysaccharides / Ioannis Giavasis and Costas G. Biliaderis -- Chapter 6. Chitosan as a Dietary Supplement and a Food Technology Agent / Riccardo A.A. Muzzarelli and Corrado Muzzarelli -- Chapter 7. Arabinoxylans: Technologically and Nutritionally Functional Plant Polysaccharides / Marta S. Izydorczyk and Costas G. Biliaderis -- Chapter 8. Carbohydrates and the Risk of Cardiovascular Disease / Gunilla Önning -- Chapter 9. Carbohydrates and Obesity / Gail Woodward-Lopez, Dana E. Gerstein, Lorrene D. Ritchie, and Sharon E. Fleming -- Chapter 10. Dietary Carbohydrates and Risk of Cancer / Joanne Slavin -- Chapter 11. The Role of Carbohydrates in the Prevention and Management of Type 2 Diabetes / Kaisa Poutanen, David Laaksonen, Karin Autio, Hannu Mykkänen, and Leo Niskanen -- Chapter 12.Carbohydrates and Mineral Metabolism / David D. Kitts Chapter 13. Dietary Carbohydrates as Mood and Performance Modulators / Larry Christensen -- Chapter 14. Carbohydrates and Gastrointestinal Tract Function / Barbara O. Schneeman -- Chapter 15. Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Synbiotics: Functional Ingredients for Microbial Management Strategies / G.C.M. Rouzaud -- Chapter 16. Potential Use of Carbohydrates as Stabilizers and Delivery Vehicles of Bioactive Substances in Foods / Pirkko Forssell, Päivi Myllärinen, Piia Hakala, and Kaisa Poutanen -- Chapter 17. Food Regulations: Health Claims for Foods Fortified with Carbohydrates or Other Nutraceuticals / Jerzy Zawistowski.
- Functional foods, ageing and degenerative disease 2004, CRCnetBASEpt. 1. Bone and oral health -- pt. 2. Obesity -- pt. 3. Gut health and immune function -- pt. 4. Cancer.
- Functional foods, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes 2004, CRCnetBASEThe potential and limits of functional foods in preventing cardiovascular disease -- Assessing health claims for functional foods -- Diet and the prevention of coronary heart disease -- The role of fat-soluble nutrients and antioxidants in preventing heart disease -- Vitamin E and other antioxidants in the prevention of cardiovascular disease -- Iron intake and cardiovascular disease -- Diet and diabetes: prevention and control -- Nutritional risk factors in the development of type 1 and type 2 diabetes -- Flavonoids and cardiovascular disease -- Isoflavones and coronary heart disease -- Plant sterols and cholesterol reduction -- Garlic and cardiovascular disease -- Diet, oxidative stress and cardiovascular disease -- Dietary fat, pregnancy and the prevention of heart disease -- Developing polyunsaturated fatty acids as functional ingredients -- Marine micro-organisms as new sources of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) -- Developments in fat replacers -- Starch in food: diabetes and coronary heart disease -- The use of cereal beta-glucans to control diabetes and cardiovascular disease -- Grain legumes and the prevention of cardiovascular disease -- Food fermentation by lactic acid bacteria for the prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- Gastroenterology and nutrition. 2nd ed. 2012, ScienceDirectOverview of digestion and absorption / Josef Neu -- Maturation of motor function in the preterm infant and gastroesophageal reflux / Anna Marla Hibbs -- Development of gastrointestinal motility reflexes / Sudarshan Rao Jadcherla -- Development of the intestinal mucosal barrier / Allan Walker and Camilia Martin -- The developing intestinal microbiome and its relationship to health and disease / Josef Neu -- The developing intestine as an immune organ / Patricia Lin -- The developing gastrointestinal tract in relation to autoimmune disease, allergy, and atopy / Outi Vaarala -- What are the controversies for basic intestinal development and where will the field be moving in the future? / Josef Neu -- Nutritional requirements of the very-low-birthweight infant / Patti Thureen and William Hay Jr. -- Controversies in neonatal nutrition : macronutrients and micronutrients / Frank R. Greer -- Regulation of protein synthesis and proteolysis in the neonate by feeding / Tracy Gautsch Anthony and Susan Hazels Mitmesser -- Lipids for neonates / Sheila M. Innis -- Human milk feeding of the high-risk neonate / Christina Valentine -- Nutritional requirements for the neonate : what are the controversies and where will the field be moving in the future? / Josef Neu -- Necrotizing enterocolitis / Josef Neu -- Special nutrition of the surgical neonate / Tom Jaksic -- Controversies in short bowel syndrome / Marc Rhoads -- Neonatal cholestasis / Joel Andres -- The neonatal gastrointestinal tract as a conduit to systemic inflammation and developmental delays / Josef Neu and James Wynn -- Adult consequences of neonatal and fetal nutrition : mechanisms / Robert Lane -- Technologies for the evaluation of enteral feeding readiness in premature infants / Josef Neu -- What are the controversies for these clinical conditions and where will the field be moving in the future? / Josef Neu.
- Gastrointestinal and liver disease nutrition desk reference 2012, CRCnetBASE"Presents the nutritional consequences and considerations of digestive disorders. Examines the role of nutrition in gastrointestinal and liver disease, including alcoholic and nonalcoholic liver disease, viral hepatitis, cirrhosis, malabsorption, colorectal disease, transplantation, pancreatitis, and inflammatory bowel disease. Includes chapters on food allergy and intolerance, the effects of medicinal plants, and the role of fiber in the gastrointestinal tract. Addresses the challenges of managing nutritional issues for hospitalized patients, and covers eating disorders and ethical issues."--Excerpted from abstract provided by publisher.
- Genomics and proteomics in nutrition 2004, CRCnetBASEPart I: Mouse models of human diseases and gene transcription. 1. Genetic modifiers in rodent models of obesity / Yun Wang, Patsy M. Nishina, and Jurgen K. Naggert -- 2. Quantitative trait loci in obesity and type II diabetes in rodents / Jung Han Kim -- 3. The human sweet tooth and its relationship to obesity / Amanda H. McDaniel and Danielle R. Reed -- 4. The adipose renin-angiotensin system: genetics, regulation, and physiologic function / Brynn H. Voy ... [et al.] -- 5. Regulation of fat synthesis and adipogenesis / Kee-Hong Kim ... [et al.] -- 6. Transcriptional regulation of energy metabolism in liver / Manabu T. Nakamura. Part II: Genomics: large-scale analysis of gene expression by microarray. 7. Design and analysis of microarray studies for obesity research / Marie-Pierre St.-Onge ... [et al.] -- 8. Solving clinical problems in nutrition research with microarrays / Steven R. Smith ... [et al.] -- 9. Genomic approaches to understanding vitamin D action / James C. Fleet -- 10. Gene expression profiling in adipose tissue / Naima Moustaid-Moussa ... [et al.] -- 11. Phytochemicals and gene expression / Orsolya Mezei and Neil F. Shay --12. Gene expression profiling of immune cells: application for understanding aging of immune cells / Sung Nim Han and Simin Nikbin Meydani -- 13. Improving the nutritional value of cereal grains using a genomic approach / Liang Shi and Tong Zhu. Part III: Proteomics: large-scale analysis of protein expression and regulation. 14. Proteomics and genomics to detail responses to extracellular stimuli / James A. Carroll and Clayton E. Mathews -- 15. 2D gel proteomics studies on leukocytes / Ivan C. Gerling and Michael J. Pabst -- 16. Proteomics: tools for nutrition research in the postgenomic era / Arthur Grider -- 17. Proteomic analysis of the adipocyte secretome / Nieves Ibarrola, Akhilesh Pandey, and Chaerkady Raghothama -- 18. Mass spectrometry strategies for proteomic studies / Maya Belghazi and Helene Rogniaux -- Bioinformatics tools / Simon M. Lin, Kimberly F. Johnson, and Seth W. Kullman -- 20. Statistical principles for analysis of array experiments / Arnold M. Saxton and E. Barry Moser.
- Geriatric nutrition 2007, CRCnetBASE1. The aging society and nutrition epidemiology / Shailaja Pulisetty and John E. Morley -- 2. Molecular theories of aging and nutritional interventions / H.J. Armbrecht -- 3. The role of nutrition in the prevention of age-associated diseases / John E. Morley -- 4. Obesity in older adults / Gary A. Wittert -- 5. Sarcopenia and cachexia / John E. Morley and Matthew T. Haren -- 6. Immunity and nutrition / Chantri Trinh -- 7. Nutritional requirements in older adults / David R. Thomas -- 8. Energy balance / John E. Morley -- 9. Water metabolism / David R. Thomas and John E. Morley -- 10. Vitamin disorders / Ramzi R. Hajjar and Zeina Nahhas -- 11. Trace elements / John E. Morley -- 12. Nutritional assessment in older persons / David R. Thomas -- 13. Geriatric assessment and its interaction with nutrition / Julie K. Gammack -- 14. Nutritional assessment in the European community / Juergen Martin Bauer and Dorothee Volkert -- 15. The oral cavity and nutrition / Nathalia Garcia and D. Douglas Miley -- 16. Management of protein-energy undernutrition in older adults / David R. Thomas -- 17. Prescription for enteral nutrition / Zareen Syed and Syed H. Tariq.
- Handbook of antioxidants. 2nd ed., rev. and expanded. 2002, CRCnetBASEI. General Topics -- 1. Food-Derived Antioxidants: How to Evaluate Their Importance in Food and In Vivo / Barry Halliwell -- 2. Measurement of Total Antioxidant Capacity in Nutritional and Clinical Studies / Guohua Cao and Ronald L. Prior -- 3. Quantification of Isoprostanes as Indicators of Oxidant Stress In Vivo / Jason D. Morrow, William E. Zackert, Daniel S. Van der Ende, Erin E. Reich, Erin S. Terry, Brian Cox, Stephanie C. Sanchez, Thomas J. Montine, and L. Jackson Roberts -- II. Vitamin E -- 4. Efficacy of Vitamin E in Human Health and Disease / Sharon V Landvik, Anthony T. Diplock, and Lester Packer -- 5. Vitamin E Bioavailability, Biokinetics, and Metabolism / Maret G. Traber -- 6. Biological Activity of Tocotrienols / Stefan U. Weber and Gerald Rimbach -- III. Vitamin C -- 7. Vitamin C: From Molecular Actions to Optimum Intake / Sebastian J. Padayatty, Rushad Daruwala, Yaohui Wang, Peter K. Eck, Jian Song, Woo S. Koh, and Mark Levine -- 8. Vitamin C and Cardiovascular Diseases / Anitra C. Carr and Balz Frei -- 9. Epidemiological and Clinical Aspects of Ascorbate and Cancer / James E. Enstrom -- IV. Carotenoids -- 10. Carotenoids: Linking Chemistry, Absorption, and Metabolism to Potential Roles in Human Health and Disease / Denise M. Deming, Thomas W-M. Boileau, Kasey H. Heintz, Christine A. Atkinson, and John W. Erdman, Jr. -- 11. Antioxidant Effects of Carotenoids: Implication in Photoprotection in Humans / Wilhelm Stahl and Helmut Sies -- 12. Oxidative Breakdown of Carotenoids and Biological Effects of Their Metabolites / Werer G. Siems, Olaf Sommerburg, and Frederik J.G.M. van Kuijk -- 13. Carotenoids in the Nutrition of Infants / Olaf Sommerburg, Wener G. Siems, Kristina Meissner and Michael Leichsenring -- 14. Human Studies on Bioavailability and Serum Response of Carotenoids / Elizabeth J. Johnson -- V. Polyphenols and Flavonoids -- 15. Caffeic Acid and Related Antioxidant Compounds: Biochemical and Cellular Effects / João Laranjinha -- 16. Polyphenols and Flavonoids Protect LDL Against Atherogenic Modifications / Bianca Fuhrman and Michael Aviram -- 17. Phytoestrogen Content in Foods and Their Role in Cancer / Anna H. Wu and Malcolm C. Pike -- 18. Peroxynitrite Scavenging by Mitochondrial Reductants and Plant Polyphenols / Alberto Boveris, Silvia Alvarez, Silvia Lores Araiz, and Laura B. Valdez -- VI. Antioxidants in Beverages and Herbal Products -- 19. Antioxidant and Other Properties of Green and Black Tea / Philip J. Rijken, Douglas A. Balentine, C. A. J. van Mierlo, I. Paetau-Robinson, E van de Put, Paul T Quinlan, Ute M. Weisgerber, and Sheila A. Wiseman -- 20. The Phenolic Wine Antioxidants / Andrew L. Waterhouse -- 21. French Maritime Pine Bark: Pycnogenol / Gerald Rimbach, Fabio Virgili, and Lester Packer -- 22. Spices as Potent Antioxidants with Therapeutic Potential / Bharat B. Aggarwal, Nihal Ahmad, and Hasan Mukhtar -- VII. Lipoic Acid and Glutathione -- 23. Lipoic Acid: Cellular Metabolism, Antioxidant Activity, and Clinical Relevance / Oren Tirosh, Sashwati Roy, and Lester Packer -- 24. Cellular Effects of Lipoic Acid and Its Role in Aging / Regis Moreau, Wei-Jian Zhang, and Tory M. Hagen -- 25. Vascular Complications in Diabetes: Mechanisms and the Influence of Antioxidants / Peter Rösen, Hans-Jürgen Tritschler, and Lester Packer -- 26. Therapeutic Effects of Lipoic Acid on Hyperglycemia and Insulin Resistance / Erik J. Henriksen -- 27. Bioavailability of Glutathione / Dean P. Jones -- VIII. Melatonin -- 28. Antioxidant Capacity of Melatonin / Russel J. Reiter, Dun-xian Tan, Lucien C. Manchester, and Juan R. Calvo -- 29. Radical and Reactive Intermediate-Scavenging Properties of Melatonin in Pure Chemical Systems / Maria A. Livrea, Luisa Tesoriere, Dun-xian Tan, and Russel J. Reiter -- IX. Selenium -- 30. Selenium: An Antioxidant? / Regina Brigelius-Flohé, Matilde Maiorino, Fulvio Ursini, and Leopold Flohé -- 31. Selenium Status and Prevention of Chronic Diseases / Paul Knekt -- X. Nitric Oxide -- 32. Antioxidant Properties of Nitric Oxide / Homero Rubbo and Rafael Radi.
- Handbook of behavior, food and nutrition 2011, Springer
- Handbook of clinical nutrition and aging. 2nd ed. 2009, Springer
- Handbook of clinical nutrition and stroke 2013, Springer
- Handbook of dairy foods and nutrition. 3rd ed. 2007, CRCnetBASEThe importance of milk and milk products in the diet -- Dairy foods and cardiovascular health -- Dairy foods and cancer -- Dairy foods and bone health -- Dairy foods and oral health -- Dairy foods and a healthy weight -- Lactose digestion -- Contribution of dairy foods to health throughout the lifecycle.
- Handbook of diet, nutrition, and the skin 2012, Springer[Part 1] Introduction -- 1. The Skin: an introduction / N. B. Silverberg -- [Part 2] General aspects of skin, nutrition and diet -- 2. Gut bacteria and skin health / R. Iizuka -- 3. The fatty acids and the skin: a focus on the n-6 family of unsaturated fatty acids / H. S. Hansen -- 4. Role of vitamin B6 in skin health and diseases / N. Kato -- 5. Antioxidants and skin: an overview / Y. Wu, H.-D. Chen, Y.-H. Li, X.-H. Gao and V. R. Preedy -- [Part 3] Micronutrients -- 6. The Skin and vitamin D / D. D. Bikle -- 7. Vitamin C, gene expression and skin health / T. L. Duarte and I. F. Almeida -- 8. Strategies for vitamin E transdermal delivery / S. Trombino -- 9. Vitamin E chemistry, biological activity and benefits on the skin / R. Cassano -- 10. Dietary tocotrienol and UVB-induced skin damage / K. Yamashita -- 11. Zinc and skin health: an overview / H. K. Bangash and A. Sethi -- 12. Iron and skin health: iron stimulates skin function / T. Hirobe -- [Part 4] Nutraceuticals and skin -- 13. Skin photoprotection and nutraceuticals: an overview / P. Morganti -- 14. Effect of flaxseed- and borage oil ingestion on skin conditions / U. Heinrich -- 15. Dietary red ginseng and skin protection / Y. Cho -- 16. Dietary grape seed proanthocyanidins and skin cancer / S.K. Katiyar -- 17. Olive oil as a skin protector / M. Viola -- 18. Protective effect of garlic in skin cancer / T. Saha -- 19. Pre- and probiotics for human skin / J. Krutmann -- 20. Curcumin (turmeric) and its evolving role in skin health / A. Sethi -- 21. Protective effects of vitamin C derivatives on skin atrophy caused by Sod1 deficiency / T. Shimizu -- [Part 5] Skin cancer, nutrition and diet -- 22. Omega-3 Fatty acids and non-melanoma skin cancer / H.S. Black -- 23. Skin cancer and folate metabolism / M. Laing -- 24. Vitamin D and skin cancer / R.S. Mason -- [Part 6] Specific skin conditions in relation to diet and nutrition -- 25. Acne and nutrition / C.C. Zouboulis -- 26. Food allergy and atopic dermatitis / S.S. Lee -- 27. Fructo-oligosaccharides and skin inflammation / K. Sonoyama.
- Handbook of dietary fiber 2001, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of fermented functional foods 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of food enzymology 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of food fortification and health. Volume 1-2 v. 1-2, 2013, Springervol. 2 Springer
- Handbook of food-drug interactions 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of frozen foods 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of functional dairy products 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of functional lipids 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of herbs and spices. Vol. 2 2004, CRCnetBASEpt. 1. General issues -- pt. 2. Particular herbs and spices.
- Handbook of hygiene control in the food industry 2005, CRCnetBASEpt. 1. Risks -- pt. 2. Improving design -- pt. 3. Improving hygiene management and methods.
- Handbook of minerals as nutritional supplements 2005, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of nutraceuticals 2011, CRCnetBASEv. 1. Ingredients, formulations, and applications -- v. 2. Scale-up, processing and automation
- Handbook of nutraceuticals and functional foods 2001, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of nutraceuticals and functional foods. 2nd ed. 2007, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of nutrition and food 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of nutrition and food. 2nd ed. 2007, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of nutrition and food. Third edition. 2014, CRCnetBASE"Beginning with an overview of food and food constituents, the book outlines current nutrient analysis systems, techniques for data analysis, and food labeling. The book reviews nutrition science including terminology, biochemistry, nutrient-nutrient interactions, and comparative nutrition. There is a detailed assessment in section three on nutritional needs throughout the lifecycle. It highlights exercise and the value of vegetarian diets in health promotion and disease prevention. Section four considers issues surrounding nutritional assessment, screening, and monitoring tools including questionnaires, and anthropometric-, psychological-, and energy-assessments--Provided by publisher.
- Handbook of nutrition and ophthalmology 2007, SpringerNutrition blindness: vitamin A deficiency disorders -- Cataract -- Age-related macular degeneration -- The obesity epidemic: implications for eye health -- Nutrition and diabetic retinopathy -- Retinal vascular disease -- Nutritional amblyopia and B vitamin complex deficiencies -- Zinc and eye health -- Vitamin C and eye health -- The age-related proinflammatory state and eye disease -- Essential fatty acids and visual development in infants -- Inborn errors of metabolism.
- Handbook of nutrition in the aged. 3rd ed. 2001, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of nutrition in the aged. 4th ed. 2009, CRCnetBASENutrition and electrolytes in the elderly / Marthe J. Moseley -- Vitamins and health in older persons / David R. Thomas -- Undernutrition and refeeding in elderly subjects / Patrice Brocker and Stéphane M. Schneider -- Nutrition and the geriatric surgery patient / Sheldon Winkler, Meredith C. Bogert, and Charles K. Herman -- The role of micronutrients in preventing infections in the elderly / Alia El-Kadiki -- Antioxidants and heart disease / Vijaya Juturu and Vidyasagar Sriramoju -- Cardiometabolic syndrome, diabetes and oxidative stress : focus on the aging population / Hussein Naji Yassine and Craig S. Stump -- Calcium and vitamin D in aging populations / Zhao Chen and Jeffrey Stanaway -- Lipid absorption in aging / Laurie Drozdowski ... [et al.] -- Caffeine and the older person / Hilary A. Wynne -- Vitamin K and health in the aged / Jennifer Truong and Sarah L. Booth -- The role of diet in slowing or accelerating aging / Saeed Hosseini and Reza Ghiasvand -- Nutrition and cancer prevention : an overview / Elaine B. Trujillo and John A. Milner -- Potential role of resveratrol in preventing inflammation and diseases associated with obesity and aging / Kathleen LaPoint and Michael K. McIntosh -- Health benefits of phytochemicals for older adults / Giuliana Noratto ... [et al.] -- Management of insulin resistance with Chinese herbs / Jianping Ye and Jun Yin -- Nutritional antioxidants and prevention of cataract / William G. Christen -- Herbal treatment of ischemia / Baowan Lin -- Can fruit and vegetable consumption oppose the negative health effects of tobacco? / Eliane Kellen and Geertruida E Bekkering -- Weight loss in elderly people / Aránzazu Aparicio ... [et al.] -- Food intake regulation and aging / Roger B. McDonald and Jessica Coppola.
- Handbook of obesity intervention for the lifespan 2009, SpringerThis title discusses obesity and shows how it is a major risk factor for a variety of cardiovascular, cardiopulmonary, endocrinologic, metabolic, musculoskeletal, and behavioral disorders.
- Handbook of obesity prevention 2007, SpringerWhy obesity prevention? -- What is obesity? Definitions matter -- Descriptive epidemiology of obesity in the United States -- Costs of obesity -- Obesity prevention concepts and frameworks -- Consumer perspectives and consumer action -- The role of government in preventing obesity -- Planning and the built environment -- The food industry role in obesity prevention -- Media, marketing and advertising and obesity -- Global context of obesity -- Organizational change for obesity prevention-perspectives, possibilities and potential pitfalls -- Community-based approaches to obesity prevention: the role of environmental and policy change -- Health care system approaches to obesity -- Workplace approaches to obesity prevention -- Obesity prevention in school and group child care settings -- Individual behavior change -- Obesity risk factors and prevention in early life: pre-gestation through infancy -- Obesity prevention during preschool and elementary school-age years -- Obesity prevention during preadolescence and adolescence -- Obesity prevention during adulthood -- Obesity prevention: charting a course to a healthier future.
- Handbook of organic food safety and quality 2007, CRCnetBASEIntroduction / C. Leifert -- History and concepts of food quality and safety in organic food production and processing / U. Niggli -- Nutritional quality of foods / C.J. Seal and K. Brandt -- Quality assurance, inspection and certification of organic foods / B. van Elzakker and J. Neuendorff -- A new food quality concept based on life processes / J. Bloksma, M. Norholt, M. Huber, G-J. van der Burgst and L. van de Vijver -- Food consumers and organic agriculture / E. Oughton and C. Ritson -- Effects of organic and conventional feeding regimes and husbandry methods on the quality of milk and dairy products / R.F. Weller, C.L. Marley and J.M. Moorby -- Effects of organic husbandry methods and feeding regimes on poultry quality / H. Hirt and E. Zeltner -- Quality in organic, low-input and conventional pig production / A. Sundrum -- Organic livestock husbandry methods and the microbiological safety of ruminant produciton systems / F. Deiz-Gonzalez -- Reducing antibiotic use for mastitis treatment in organic dairy production systems / P. Klocke, M. Walkenhorst, and G. Butler -- Reducing anthelmintic use for the control of internal parasites in organic livestock systems / V. Maurer, P. Hördegen and H. Hertzberg -- Alternative therapies to reduce enteric bacterial infections and improve the microbiological safety of pig and poultry production systems / B. Biavati, C. Santini, C. Leifert -- Dietary exposure to pesticides from organic and conventional food production systems / C. Benbrook -- Levels and potential healty impacts of nutritionally relevant phytochemicals in organic and conventional food production systems / E.A.S. Rosa, R.N. Bennett and A. Aires -- Improving the quality and shelf life of fruit from organic production systems / F.P. Weibel and T. Alföldi -- Strategies to reduce mycotoxin and fungal alkaloid contamination in organic and conventional cereal production systems / U. Köpke, B. Thiel and S. Elmholt -- Reducing copper-based fungicide use in organic crop production systems / R. Ghorbani and S. Wilcockson -- Pre-harvest strategies to ensure the microbiological safety of fruit and vegetables from manure-based production systems / U. Köpke, J. Krämer and C. Leifert -- Post-harvest strategies to reduce enteric bacteria contamination of vegetable, nut and fruit products / G.S. Johanssen -- Fair trade : a basis for adequate producers’ incomes, farm reinvestment and quality and safety focused production / M. Bourlakis and C. Vizard -- Development of quality assurance protocols to prevent GM-contamination of organic crops / R.C. Van Acker, N. McLean and R.C. Martin -- Integration of quality parameters into food safety focused HACCP systems / K. Brandt, L. Lück, U. Kjœrnes, G.S. Wyss, and A. Hartvig Larsen.
- Handbook of prebiotics 2008, CRCnetBASEEndocrinology of the gastro-intestinal tract and modulation of satiety: specific focus on glucagon like peptide-1 / R. Burcelin & P.D. Cani -- Prebiotics and modulation of gastrointestinal peptides / P.D. Cani, R. Burcelin & C. Knauf -- Designing studies and rodent models for studying prebiotics for colorectal cancer prevention / N.J. Emenaker & J.A. Milner -- Colorectal cancer prevention: the role of prebiotics / A. Umar, N.J. Emenaker & J.A. Milner -- Prebiotics and reduction of risk of carcinogenesis: review of experimental and human data / A. Klinder, M. Glei & B.L. Pool-Zobel -- Prebiotics and cancer therapy / H.S. Taper & M.B. Roberfroid -- Pathophysiology of inflammatory bowel diseases / F.Hoentjen & L. A. Dieleman -- Prebiotics in inflammatory bowel diseases / F. Guarner -- Prebiotics and infant nutrition / Y. Vandenplas ... [et al.] -- Prebiotics and nutrition in the elderly: the concept of healthy aging / I.R. Rowland & C. Gill -- Prebiotics and animal nutrition / J. Van Loo -- Food applications of prebiotics / A. Franck -- Prebiotics and food safety / G. Pascal -- Concluding remarks / G.R Gibson & M.B. Roberfroid.General introduction: prebiotics in nutrition / M.B Roberfroid -- Gastrointestinal microflora and interactions with gut mucosa / A.L. Wells, D.M.A. Saulnier, and G.R. Gibson -- Prebiotics: concept: definition, criteria, methodologies, and products / M.B. Roberfroid -- The prebiotic effect: review of experimental and human data / S. Kolida and G.R.Gibson -- Effects of prebiotics on mineral absorption: mechanisms of action / I.J. Griffin & S.A. Abrams -- Prebiotics and the absorption of minerals, a review of experimental and human data / K.M. Hawthorne & S.A. Abrams -- Immune functions and mechanisms in the gastrointestinal tract / A. Dubert-Ferrandon, D.S. Newburg & W.A. Walker -- Prebiotics and the immune system: review of experimental and human data / S. Seifert & B. Watzl -- Triacylglycerols and cholesterol metabolism / M.Beylot, F. Forcheron & D. Letexier -- Prebiotics and lipid metabolism: review of experimental and human data / N.M. Delzenne & A.M. Neyrinck --
- Handbook of vitamins. 4th ed. 2007, CRCnetBASEVitamin A: nutritional aspects of retinoids and carotenoids / A. Catharine Ross and Earl H. Harrison -- Vitamin D / Anthony W. Norman -- Vitamin K / John W. Suttie -- Vitamin E / Maret G. Traber -- Bioorganic mechanisms important to coenzyme functions / Donald B. McCormick -- Niacin / James B. Kirkland -- Riboflavin (vitamin B2) / Richard S. Rivlin -- Thiamine / Chris J. Bates -- Pantothenic acid / Robert B. Rucker and Kathryn Bauerly -- Vitamin B6 / Shyamala Dakshinamurti and Krishnamurti Dakshinamurti -- Biotin / Donald M. Mock -- Folic acid / Lynn B. Bailey -- Cobalamin (vitamin B12) / Ralph Green and Joshua W. Miller -- Choline / Timothy A. Garrow -- Ascorbic acid / Carol S. Johnston -- Vitamin-dependent modifications of chromatin: epigenetic events and genomic stability / James B. Kirkland ... [et al.] -- Accelerator mass spectrometry in the study of vitamins and mineral metabolism / Fabiana Fonseca de Moura, Betty Jane Burri, and Andrew J. Clifford -- Dietary reference intakes for vitamins / Suzanne P. Murphy and Susan I. Barr.
- Handbook of vitamins. Fifth edition. 2014, CRCnetBASE
- Healthful lipids 2005, CRCnetBASETrans fatty acids in foods and their labeling regulations / Nimal W.M. Ratnayake and C. Zehaluk -- Safety, regulatory aspects, and public acceptance of genetically modified lipids / Ravigadevi Sambanthamurthi, Sharifah Shahrul, and G.K. Ahmad Parveez -- Production, processing, and refining of oils / Ernesto Hernandez -- Novel hydrogenation for low trans fatty acids in vegetable oils / Mun Yhung Jung and David B. Min -- Analysis of lipids by new hyphenated techniques / Huiling Mu -- Supercritical fluid processing of nutritionally functional lipids / Jerry W. King -- Short-path distillation for lipid processing / Xuebing Xu -- Fat crystallization technology / Serpil Metin and Richard Hartel --Dietary fatty acids and their influence on blood lipids and lipoproteins / Tilakavati Karupaiah, Mohd Ismail Noor, and Kalyana Sundram -- Essential fatty acid metabolism to self-healing agents / William E.M. Lands -- Dietary n-6:n-3 fatty acid ratio and health / Sarah Gebauer ... [et al.] -- CLA sources and human studies / Marianne O'Shea, Margriet van der Zee, and Inge Mohede -- Lipids with antioxidant properties / Jan Pokorny and Jana Parkanyiova -- G-linolenic acids : the health effects / Rakesh Kapoor -- Phytosterols and phytosterol esters / Robert A. Moreau -- The effects of eicosapentaenoic acid in various clinical conditions / Andrew Sinclair ... [et al.] -- Lipase reactions applicable to purification of oil- and fat-related materials / Yuji Shimada -- Enzymatic synthesis of symmetrical triacylglycerols containing polyunsaturated fatty acids / Tsuneo Yamane -- Patent review on lipid technology / Oi-Ming Lai, Seong-Koon Lo, and Casimir C. Akoh -- Genetic enhancement and modification of oil-bearing crops / G.K. Ahmad Parveez and Ravigadevi Sambanthamurthi -- Genetically engineered oils / David Hildebrand and Lewamy Mamadou --Emulsion technologies to produce oxidative stable emulsions containing n-3 fatty acids / Min Hu, Eric A. Decker, and D. Julian McClements -- Chemistry for oxidative stability of edible oils / Eunok Choe, Jiyeun Lee, and David Min -- Structured and specialty lipids / Casimir C. Akoh -- Lipids in infant formulas and human milk fat substitutes / Nikolaus Weber and Kumar D. Mukherjee -- Cocoa butter, cocoa butter equivalents, and cocoa butter replacers / Kazuhisa Yamada, Masahisa Ibuki, and Thomas McBrayer -- Margarine and baking fats / Vijai K.S. Shukla -- Nutritional characteristics of diacylglycerol oil and its health benefits / Noboru Matsuo -- Plant stanol ester as a cholesterol-lowering ingredient of Benecol foods / Pia Salo ... [et al.] -- Palm oil, its fractions, and components / Oi-Ming Lai.
- Introduction to high-density lipoprotein, dyslipidemia, and coronary heart disease -- Regulation of ApoA-I gene expression and prospects to increase plasma ApoA-I and HDL levels -- High density lipoprotein particles -- The kinetics and remodeling of HDL particles: lessons from inborn errors of lipid metabolism -- HDL structure, function, and anti-inflammatory properties -- Human apolipoprotein A-I deficiency -- Human apolipoprotein A-I mutants -- ATP binding cassette A1 transporter function and Tangier disease -- The role ABCG1 in cellular cholesterol efflux: relevance to atherosclerosis and endothelial function -- In vitro studies and mass flux of cholesterol between serum and macrophages -- Genetic LCAT deficiency: molecular diagnosis, plasma lipids, and atherosclerosis -- Human cholesteryl ester transfer protein in human HDL metabolism -- The HDL receptor SR-BI -- Genetic loci influencing plasma high density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations in humans -- Nutritional and lifestyle factors and high-density lipoprotein metabolism -- Effects of ethanol intake on high density lipoprotein metabolism in humans -- Effects of estrogen on HDL metabolism -- Effects of niacin on HDL metabolism -- Effects of statins on HDL metabolism -- Therapeutic regulation of high-density lipoprotein transport in the metabolic syndrome -- Effects of cholesterol ester transfer protein inhibition on HDL metabolism -- HDL infusion therapy -- High-density lipoproteins, dyslipidemia, and heart disease: past, present, and future.
- Home care enteral feeding 2005, KargerMalnutrition in the developing world: the lack of food scenario / D. Labadarios -- Are older people starving to death in a world of plenty? -- D.R. Thomas -- Physiological vs. pathological changes of nutritional status over life time -- M.J. Müller ... [et al.] -- Home enteral nutrition demographics and utilization in the United States / M.H. Delegge -- Home enteral nutrition epidemiology and legislation in Europe / A. Van Gossum -- When does malnutrition become a risk? / L. Genton ... [et al.] -- What are the goals of nutrition support? The example of home enteral nutrition / X. Hʹebuterne, S.M. Schneider, -- Oral protein and energy supplementation in older people: a systematic review of randomized trials / A.C. Milne, A. Avenell, J. Potter -- Efficacy of enteral and parenteral nutrition in cancer patients / F. Bozzetti, V. Bozzetti, -- Ethics and economics of nutritional support / A.L. Buchman -- Pathophysiology of weight loss in older persons / J.E. Morley -- Interaction between nutrition, intestinal flora and the gastrointestinal immune system / H. Lochs -- Psychoimmunology of nutrition / B. Lesourd -- How can we impact the immune system with pre- and probiotics? / E.J. Schiffrin, A. Donnet, S. Blum -- How can we modulate cytokine production and action? / L. Cynober -- How can we improve functional outcomes? / M. Elia.
- Impact of maternal nutrition on the offspring 2004, KargerMaternal nutrition and adverse pregnancy outcomes: lessons from epidemiology / Kramer, M.S. -- Metabolic disease: evolutionary, developmental and transgenerational influences / Gluckman, P.D., Hanson, M.A. -- Nutrient effects upon embryogenesis: folate, vitamin A and iodine / Rosenquist, T.H. ... [et al.] -- Energy requirements during pregnancy and consequences of deviations from requirement on fetal outcome / Butte, N.F. -- Potential effects of nutrients on placental function and fetal growth / Di Renzo, G.C. ... [et al.] -- Essential fatty acids during pregnancy: impact on mother and child / Hornstra, G. -- Dietary essential fatty acids in early postnatal life: long-term outcomes / Uauy, R. ... [et al.] -- Nutrient-induced maternal hyperinsulinemia and metabolic programming in the progeny / Patel, M.S., Srinivasan, M., Laychock, S.G. -- Maternal malnutrition and the risk of infection in later life / Moore, S.E. ... [et al.].-- Size and body composition at birth and risk of type-2 diabetes: a critical evaluation of 'fetal origins' hypothesis for developing countries / Yajnik, C.S. -- Cardiovascular disease in survivors of the Dutch famine / Bleker, O.P. ... [et al.] -- Relationship between maternal obesity and adverse pregnancy outcomes / Waller, D.K., Dawson, T.E. -- Special problems of nutrition in the pregnancy of teenagers / Pencharz, P.B. -- Dietary intervention during pregnancy and allergic diseases in the offspring / Salvatore, S. ... [et al.] -- Future challenges of nutrition in pregnancy and lactation / Lönnerdal, B.
- Impact of pollution on animal products 2008, Springer
- Importance of immunonutrition 2013, KargerArginine and asthma / C.R. Morris -- Changes in arginine metabolism during sepsis and critical illness inÿchildren de betue, C.T.I. / N.E.P. Deutz -- Arginine deficiency caused by myeloid cells : importance, identification and treatment / J.B. Ochoa -- Glutamine supplementation in neonates : is there a future? / J. Neu -- Insulin in human milk and the use of hormones in infant formulas / R. Shamir, N. Shehadeh -- Diet, gut enterotypes and health : is there a link? / F.D. Bushman, J.D. Lewis, G.D. Wu -- Understanding immunomodulatory effects of probiotics / B. Pot, B. Folign, C. Daniel, C. Grangette -- Transforming growth factor and intestinal inflammation : the role of nutrition / F.M. Ruemmele, H. Garnier-Lenglin -- Microbiota modulation: can probiotics prevent/treat disease inÿpediatrics? -- / H. Szajewska -- Membrane composition and cellular responses to fatty acid intakes and factors explaining the variation in response / C. Agostoni, P. Ris, F. Marangoni -- Docosahexaenoic acid and its derivative neuroprotectin D1 displayÿneuroprotective properties in the retina, brain and centralÿnervous system / N.G. Bazan, J.M. Calandria, W.C. Gordon -- Branched-chain fatty acids in the neonatal gut and estimated dietary intake in infancy and adulthood / R.R. Ran-Ressler, R.P. Glahn, S. Bae, J.T. Brenna -- Clinical overview of effects of dietary long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids during the perinatal period / S.A. Scholtz, J. Colombo, S.E. Carlson -- Dietary n-3 LC-PUFA during the perinatal period as a strategy to minimize childhood allergic disease / M. Makrides, A.W. Gunaratne, C.T. Collins.
- Improving the fat content of foods 2006, CRCnetBASEpt. 1. Dietary fats and health -- pt. 2. Reducing saturated fatty acids in food -- pt. 3. Using polyunsaturated and other modified fatty acids in food products.
- Infant feeding practices 2011, Springer
- Inflammation, oxidative stress, and cancer 2014, CRCnetBASE
- Ingredient interactions. 2nd ed. 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Integrating therapeutic and complementary nutrition 2007, CRCnetBASEFundamentals of integrative nutrition / Cynthia A. Thomson and Robert Lutz -- Ayurveda: the mother of traditional medicine / Mari Clements -- Pregnancy and lactation / Amy A. Drescher, Deborah Pesicka, and Judith Shabert -- Infant and child health / Lisbeth Benoit -- Adolescence / Mary Marian, Richard Wahl, and John D. Mark -- Women's health / Pamela Echeverria and Jyotsna Sahni -- Men's health / Aaron W. Crawford -- Skeletal system and joint health / Lisa High ... [et al.] -- Cardiovascular disease / Ellen Augur and Mary Atkinson -- Nervous system / Ame Golaszewski and Leo McCluskey -- Upper gastrointestinal system / Andrea Avery and Pamela Williams -- Promoting small and large bowel health / Susan Roberts and Mary Krystofiak Russell -- Liver disease / Roschelle Heuberger -- Nutrition and the pancreas / M. Patricia Fuhrman ... [et al.] -- Immune system / Ellyn Silverman ... [et al.] -- Renal nutrition / Margaret Furtado and Carlos DaSilva -- Respiratory health / Jennifer Doley, Richard Berry, and Mary Marian -- Ear health / Duke Johnson -- Skin health / Jennifer Doley and Joseph Genebriera.Fundamentals of integrative nutrition / Cynthia Thomson and Robert Lutz -- Ayurveda: the mother of traditional medicine / Mary Clements -- Pregnancy and lactation / Amy Drescher and Judith Shabert -- Infancy & childhood / Lisbeth Benoit and Pamela Williams -- Adolescence / Mary Marian, Richard Wahl, and John D. Mark -- Women's health / Pam Echeverria and Jotysna Sani -- Men's health / Aaron Crawford -- Skeletal & joint health / Lisa High ... [et al.] -- Cardiovascular health / Ellen Augur and Mary Atkinson -- Nervous system / Ame Golaszewski and Leo McCluskey -- Upper gastrointestinal health / Andrea Avery and Pamela Williams -- Diseases of the small and large bowel / Susan Roberts and Mary Russell -- Liver health / Roschelle Heuberger -- Nutrition and the pancreas / M. Patricia Fuhrman ... [et al.] -- The immune system / Ellyn Silverman ... [et al.] -- Renal health / Margaret Furtado and Carlos DaSilva -- Respiratory health / Richard Berry -- Ear health / Duke Johnson -- Skin health / Jennifer Doley and Joseph Genebriera.
- International nutrition 2013, KargerCountry-level action to improve nutrition and health : the case of Chile in the last century / Jimenez, J. -- Global, regional, and country trends in underweight and stunting as indicators of nutrition and health of populations / Neufeld, L.M., Osendarp, S.J.M. -- Global distribution and disease burden related to micronutrient deficiencies / Black, R.E. -- Predicting the health effects of switching infant feeding practices for use in decision-making / Yarnoff, B.O., Allaire, B.T., Detzel, P. -- Addressing the double burden of malnutrition with a common agenda / Uauy, R., Garmendia, M.L., Corvalán, C. -- Summary on world nutrition situation / Uauy, R. -- Interventions to address maternal and childhood undernutrition : current evidence / Bhutta, Z.A., Das, J.K. -- Maternal nutrition interventions to improve maternal, newborn, and child health outcomes / Ramakrishnan, U., Imhoff-Kunsch, B., Martorell, R. -- Fetal growth restriction and preterm as determinants of child growth in the first two years and potential interventions / Christian, P. -- How can agricultural interventions contribute in improving nutrition health and achieving the MDGs in least-developed countries? / Dorward, A. -- Long-term consequences of nutrition and growth in early childhood and possible preventive interventions / Adair, L.S. -- Summary on evidence on interventions and field experiences / Black, R.E. -- The global epidemic of noncommunicable disease : the role of early-life factors / Singhal, A. -- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in developing countries : focus on south Asians / Misra, A., Bhardwaj, S. -- Preventing atopy and allergic disease / Heine, R.G. -- Nutrition and chronic disease : lessons from the developing and developed world / Prentice, A.M. -- Summary on future perspectives / Singhal, A.
- Intestinal failure and rehabilitation 2005, CRCnetBASE
- Introduction to clinical nutrition. 2nd ed., revised and expanded 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Inulin-type fructans 2005, CRCnetBASE
- Iron deficiency and overload 2010, Springer
- Iron physiology and pathophysiology in humans 2012, SpringerCellular iron metabolism -- Proteins of iron homeostasis -- Cellar iron physiology -- Regulation of iron metabolism in mammalian cells -- Concentrating, storing, and detoxifying iron: the ferritins and and hemosiderin -- Iron physiology -- Iron nutrition -- Intestinal iron absorption -- Plasma iron and iron delivery to the tissues -- Iron salvage pathways -- Molecular regulation of systemic iron metabolism -- Erythroid iron metabolism -- Iron and the reticuloendothelial system -- Iron and the immune system -- Disorders of iron homeostasis: anemias -- Iron deficiency -- Liabilities of iron deficiency -- Anemia of inflammation and chronic disease -- Disorders of red cell production and the iron-loading anemias -- Disorders of iron homeostasis: iron overload and related conditions -- Pathology of hepatic iron overload -- Hepatic pathobioogy of iron overload -- HFE-associated hereditary hemochromatosis -- Non-HFE hemochromatosis -- Miscellaneous iron-related disorders -- Iron and liver disease -- Neuropathology and iron: central nervous system iron homeostasis -- Iron metabolism in cancer and infection -- Clinical diagnosis and therapy -- Estimation of body iron stores -- Genetic testing for disorders of iron homeostasis -- Properties of therapeutically useful iron chelators -- Clinical use of iron chelators -- Model systems for studying iron homeostasis -- Mammalian models of iron homeostasis -- Yeast iron metabolism -- Zebrafish models of heme synthesis and iron metabolism.
- Issues in complementary feeding 2007, KargerBreastfeeding and complementary feeding of children up to 2 years of age / K.H. Brown -- Does breastfeeding protect from growth acceleration and later obesity? / A. Singhal -- Later effects of breastfeeding practice: the evidence / D. Turck -- Traditional foods vs. manufactured baby foods / E.L. Ferguson, N. Darmon -- Potential contaminants in the food chain: identification, prevention and issue management / F.P. Scanlan -- The microbiological risk / L. Morelli -- Cereal fortification programs in developing countries / S. Bulusu ... [et al.] -- Processed infant cereals as vehicles of functional components / M. Domelléf, C. West -- Functional ingredients in the complementary feeding period and long-term effects / C. Agostoni, E. Riva, M. Giovannini -- The influence of gluten: weaning recommendations for healthy children and children at risk for celiac disease / S. Guandalini -- Allergic infants: growth and implications while on exclusion diets / K. Laitinen, E. Isolauri -- Weaning infants with malnutrition, including HIV / N.W. Solomons -- Adverse effects of cow's milk in infants / E.E. Ziegler -- Whole cow's milk: why, what and when? / K.F. Michaelsen ... [et al.] -- Meat as an early complementary food for infants: implications for macro- and micronutrient intakes / N.F. Krebs -- Functional fermented milk products / O. Brunser, M. Gotteland, S. Cruchet.
- Lactic acid bacteria. 4th ed. 2012, CRCnetBASE"Updated with the substantial progress made in lactic acid and bacteria research since the third edition, this fourth volume discusses improved insights in genetics and new molecular biological techniques. Thoroughly reorganized, this book incorporates the recent changes in new molecular techniques and the mechanistic understanding of probiotic functionality. The book remains firmly grounded in the basics of lactic acid bacteria; their genetics and taxonomy, their application in food and feed preparation, their health properties, and the legal issues associated with their use"--Provided by publisher.
- Lentil 2007, Springer
- Limits of human endurance 2013, KargerCaffeine, exercise, and the brain / R. Meeusen, B. Roelands, L.L. Spriet -- Limits to human endurance : carnitine and fat oxidation / F.B. Stephens, S.D.R. Galloway -- Hydration during intense exercise training / R.J. Maughan, N.L. Meyer -- Intense exercise training and immune function / M. Gleeson, C. Williams -- Physiological and performance adaptations to high-intensity interval training / M.J. Gibala, A.M. Jones -- Effect of beta-alanine supplementation on high-intensity exercise performance / R.C. Harris, T. Stellingwerff -- Dietary protein for muscle hypertrophy / K.D. Tipton, S.M. Phillips -- The role of amino acids in skeletal muscle adaptation to exercise / N. Aguirre, L.J.C. van Loon, K. Baar -- National nutritional programs for the 2012 London Olympic Games : a systematic approach by three different countries / L.M. Burke, N. Meyer, J. Pearce.
- Local Mediterranean food plants and nutraceuticals 2006, KargerEthnobotany -- 'Local food-nutraceuticals': bridging the gap between local knowledge and global needs / Heinrich, M. ... [et al.] -- Gathered Mediterranean food plants: ethnobotanical investigations and historical development / Rivera, D. ... [et al.] -- Disseminating knowledge about 'local food plants' and 'local plant foods' / Rivera, D. ... [et al.] -- Biological activities of 'local foods' -- Plant foods and brain aging: a critical appraisal / Schaffer, S. ... [et al.] -- Local food and cardioprotection: the role of phytochemicals / Visioli, F. ... [et al.] -- A vegetable to meat consumption ratio as a relevant factor determining cancer preventive diet. The Mediterranean versus other European countries / Kapiszewska, M. -- Mediterranean diet as a nutrition education and dietary guide: misconceptions and the neglected role of locally consumed foods and wild green plants / Manios, Y. ... [et al.] -- Development of bioactive substances for functional foods: scientific and other aspects / Weber, P., Flühmann, B., Eggersdorfer, M.
- Magnesium in human health and disease 2013, SpringerMagnesium is an essential mineral which is required for growth and survival of humans. Since magnesium is a mineral and not synthesizable it must be obtained through dietary foods and/or supplements. Magnesium in Human Health and Disease reviews the benefits of magnesium supplementation to reach recommended intakes as well as provides new research that suggests how reaching levels above the recommended intakes can promote health and treat various diseases. Magnesium deficiency can cause low serum potassium and calcium levels, retention of sodium, and low circulating levels of regulatory hormones. These changes in nutrients cause neurological and muscular symptoms such as tremor and muscle spasms. Further magnesium deficiency causes loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, personality changes and death from heart failure. Causes of magnesium deficiency include alcohol abuse, poorly controlled diabetes, excessive or chronic vomiting and/or diarrhea. Thus the effects of inadequate and deficient intakes or levels of magnesium is critical to health and are reviewed by the expert clinicians in this book. Magnesium in Human Health and Disease provides the most current research to support the potential benefits or lack thereof for normal and high supplementation with magnesium. Animal model research and early human trials are reviewed to document other disease states such as hypertension, cholesterol level, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease that would benefit from increased magnesium.
- Management of eating disorders and obesity. 2nd ed. 2005, SpringerBulimia nervosa / Steven J. Romano -- Counseling patients with bulimia nervosa / Tricia Cook Myers and James E. Mitchell -- Pharmacologic therapy of bulimia nervosa / James I. Hudson, Harrison G. Pope, Jr., and William P. Carter -- Prevention of eating disorders: a nutritional perspective / Cheryl L. Rock -- Anorexia nervosa / Steven J. Romano -- Treatment of anorexia nervosa / L.K. George Hsu -- Pharmacological therapy for anorexia nervosa / Walter H. Kaye -- The Internet and eating disorders / David J. Goldstein -- Etiologies of obesity / Richard L. Atkinson -- Medical consequences of obesity and benefits of weight loss / Lalita Khaodhiar and George L. Blackburn -- Obese patients with binge-eating disorder / Marsha D. Marcus and Michele D. Levine -- Overview and the future of obesity treatment / Lisa Terre, Walker S.C. Poston II, and John P. Foreyt -- The role of physical activity, exercise, and nutrition in the treatment of obesity / Edward T. Mannix ... [et al.].Lifestyle modification in the treatment of obesity / Anthony N. Fabricatore and Thomas A. Wadden -- Very low-calorie diets / Stephen D. Phinney -- Pharmacotherapy of obesity / George A. Bray -- Combination therapies for obesity / Richard L. Atkinson and Gabriel Uwaifo -- Genetics and potential treatments for obesity / José R. Fernández and David J. Goldstein -- The role of hunger and satiety in weight management / Michael Penn and David J. Goldstein -- Surgical interventions for the management of obesity / Scott A. Shikora, David Smith, and Julie J. Kim -- Clinical experience in a comprehensive weight-management center / Judy Loper and Richard A. Lutes -- The multidisciplinary team in the management of obesity / Patrick Mahlen O'Neil and Sherry Rieder -- The Internet and obesity treatment / David J. Goldstein -- Barriers to treatment / Arthur Frank -- Prevention of obesity / Barbara C. Hansen.
- Management of pediatric obesity and diabetes 2011, SpringerThe twin epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) continue to affect an ever increasing number of children, adolescents, and young adults. Management of Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes provides healthcare trainees and professionals with practical, comprehensive, and contemporary approaches to the pediatric patient at risk for obesity, T2DM, and related conditions. A unique guide on the subject, this volume provides clinical paradigms for diagnosis and management of pediatric T2DM and related conditions, while succinctly describing state-of-the-art basic and clinical sciences underlying these problems. The chapters in this volume are independent and concise. Each chapter focuses on a key clinical issue or mechanism of disease. Providing practical, data-driven resources based upon the totality of the evidence, this important text helps the reader understand the basics of pediatric obesity and T2DM and implement strategies to prevent and treat obesity and diabetes in children and adolescents. Management of Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes provides health professionals across many areas of research and practice with up-to-date, well-referenced, and comprehensive evidence on identification, treatment, and prevention of these chronic, serious, metabolic diseases in children. This volume will serve the reader as the most authoritative resource in the field to date.
- Manual on vitamin A deficiency disorders (VADD) 2012, Karger"Vitamin A plays a key role among the vitamins essential for healthy growth and development. Vitamin A deficiency disorders (VADD) are therefore an important part of general malnutrition that in the majority of cases leads to failure to thrive and underweight. Moreover, apart from adverse effects on health and survival in general, VADD can also lead to blindness, called xerophthalmia, and are also frequently accompanied by various infections. Last but not least, it has become evident that even mild degrees of VAD (and all other forms of nutritional deficiencies) have important adverse implications for health and are thus much more widespread than previously assumed. This publication systematically covers detailed and up-to-date information on every relevant aspect of VADD, with particular emphasis on providing an outline of their setting, nature, and significance. In addition to cutting-edge scientific information, the latest available data on the global occurrence of VAD from the World Health Organization is also included."--Publisher website.
- Marine nutraceuticals and functional foods 2008, CRCnetBASEMarine fisheries by-products as potential nutraceuticals: an overview / Se-Kwon Kim, Eresha Mendis, and Fereidoon Shahidi -- Omega-3 oils: sources, applications, and health effects / Fereidoon Shahidi -- Omega-3s and their impact on brain health / Genevieve Young and Julie Conquer -- Omega-3 fatty acids in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases through anti-inflammation and neuroprotection: a review of studies in animal models / Cai Song -- Microencapsulation of marine lipids as a vehicle for functional food delivery / Yulai Jin ... [et al.] -- Chitin and chitosan / Rosalee S. Rasmussen and Michael T. Morrissey -- Production of bioactive chitosan oligosaccharides and their potential use as nutraceuticals / Se-Kwon Kim, Niranjan Rajapakse, and Fereidoon Shahidi -- Glucosamine production and health benefits / Jaroslav A. Kralovec and Colin J. Barrow -- Functional and bioactive peptides from hydrolyzed aquatic food proteins / Hordur G. Kristinsson -- Marine-derived protein hydrolysates, their biological activities and potential as functional food ingredients: ace-inhibitory peptides derived from bonito / Hiroyuki Fujita and Masashi Yoshikawa -- Marine algal constituents / Yvonne V. Yuan -- Beneficial health effects of seaweed carotenoid, fucoxanthin / Kazuo Miyashita and Masashi Hosokawa -- The production and health benefits of astaxanthin / Miguel Olaizola -- Marine algae and polysaccharides with therapeutic applications / J. Helen Fitton, Mohammad R. Irhimeh, and Jane Teas -- Nutraceuticals and functional foods from marine microbes: an introduction to a diverse group of natural products isolated from marine macroalgae, microalgae, bacteria, fungi, and cyanobacteria / Adam M. Burja and Helia Radianingtyas -- Shark cartilage: potential for therapeutic application for cancer--review article / Kenji Sato ... [et al.] -- Calcium from fish bone and other marine resources / Won-Kyo Jung, Fereidoon Shahidi, and Se-Kwon Kim -- Immunoenhancing preparations of marine origin / Jaroslav A. Kralovec and Colin J. Barrow.
- Maternal and child nutrition 2013, KargerGrowth and nutrition during the fetal period and the first 24 months after birth are important determinants of development in early childhood. Optimal nutrition and health care of both the mother and infant during these first 1000 days of an infant's life are closely linked to growth, learning potential and neurodevelopment, in turn affecting long-term outcomes. Children with low birth weight do not only include premature babies, but also those with intrauterine growth restrictions who consequently have a very high risk of developing metabolic syndrome in the future. Epidemiology, epigenetic programming, the correct nutrition strategy and monitoring of outcomes are thus looked at carefully in this book. More specifically, two important nutritional issues are dealt with in depth: The first being the prevention of low birth weight, starting with the health of adolescent girls, through the pre-pregnancy and pregnancy stages and ending with lactation. The second point of focus concerns the nutritional follow-up and feeding opportunities in relation to dietary requirements of children with low birth weight.
- Mediterranean diet 2001, CRCnetBASE
- Mediterranean diet 2012, SpringerPart 1.The Basics of a Mediterranean Diet --Introduction --History, Composition, Adherence Scores --Part 2.Effects on Diseases --Mechanisms of Action and Effects on Diseases --Cardiovascular Diseases --Alzheimer's Disease --Cancer --Arthritis, Allergies, and Immunologic Disorders --Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome --Part 3.Weight Loss and Obesity --Weight, Obesity --Part 4.Macronutrients --Macronutrients in an Adherence Score: Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats, and Alcohol --Fats and Oils --Carbohydrates --Proteins --Alcohol --Part 5.Adopting a Mediterranean Diet --Goal Is Success in Adoption --Meal Plans --Shopping List, Keep On Hand --Resources --Recipes.
- Global micronutrient deficiencies in childhood and impact on growth and survival : challenges and opportunities / Imdad, A.; Bhutta, Z.A. -- Micronutrients in the treatment of stunting and moderate malnutrition / Penny, M.E. -- Zinc requirements : assessment and population needs / Hambidge, K.M.; Miller, L.V.; Krebs, N.F. -- Role of zinc in child health and survival / Black, R.E.; Fischer Walker, C. -- Global burden and significance of multiple micronutrient deficiencies in pregnancy / Darnton-Hill, I. -- Intervention strategies to address multiple micronutrient deficiencies in pregnancy and early childhood / Imdad, A.; Bhutta, Z.A. -- Vitamin A supplementation, infectious disease and child mortality : a summary of the evidence / Thorne-Lyman, A.; Fawzi, W.W. -- Issues and controversies with vitamin A in childhood / Murgu¡a Peniche, M.T. -- Influence of inflammatory disorders and infection on iron absorption and efficacy of iron-fortified foods / Hurrell, R.F. -- Safety of iron fortification and supplementation in malaria-endemic areas / Brittenham, G.M. -- Are weaning infants at risk of iodine deficiency even in countries with established iodized salt Programs? / Zimmermann, M.B. -- Current challenges in meeting global iodine requirements / Eastman, C.J.; Jooste, P. -- Folate and vitamin B12 : function and importance in cognitive development / Troen, A.M. -- Pros and cons of increasing folic acid and vitamin B12 intake by fortification / Allen, L.H. -- Concluding remarks.
- Melatonin in the promotion of health. 2nd ed. 2012, CRCnetBASE"This new edition presents information on how melatonin is synthesized and produced in the body as well as how this hormone affects several diseases. The book heavily focuses on prevention as well as treatment of various human disease states including behavior disorders, mental disorders, breast cancer, bone health, and gastrointestinal diseases. It covers the role of melatonin in the prevention of oxidative stress, mutagenesis, sun damage, ocular health, gut motility, and detoxification. It also presents mechanisms of melatonin action in humans including cell modulation, signaling mechanisms, protective effects, and melatonin receptors as well as its role as an antioxidant"--Provided by publisher.
- Metabolic issues of clinical nutrition 2004, Karger
- Methods of analysis for functional foods and nutraceuticals 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Methods of analysis for functional foods and nutraceuticals. 2nd ed. 2008, CRCnetBASEPhytoestrogens / B. Dave Oomah and Farah S. Hosseinian -- Analysis of fatty acids in functional foods with emphasis on [omega] 3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid / Gary Dobson -- Analysis of flavonoids in functional foods and nutraceuticals / Laura Bravo and Raquel Mateos -- Exploitation of residues from vineyards, olive groves, and wine and oil production to obtain phenolic compounds of high-added value / María D. Luque de Castro, José M. Luque-Rodríguez, and Rafael Japón-Luján -- Anthocyanins / Gary Takeoka and Lan Dao -- Carotenoids and provitamin A in functional foods / María Isabel Mí́nguez-Mosquera, Dámaso Hornero-Méndez, and Antonio Pérez-Gálvez -- Chlorophylls / María Isabel Mí́nguez-Mosquera ... [et al.] -- Water-soluble vitamins / Míguel Ángel Fernández-Muiño, María Teresa Sancho-Ortiz, and Felicidad Valls-García -- Amino acid analysis / Larry R. Massom -- Carbohydrates and other electrochemically active compounds in functional foods / William R. LaCourse.
- Methods of analysis of food components and additives 2005, CRCnetBASE
- Microbial stress adaptation and food safety 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Acute topics in sport nutrition ........
- — Folate in health and disease. 2nd ed. ..
- Food additives. 2nd ed., rev. and exp...
- — Microbial stress adaptation and food ...
- Microbiological risk assessment in fo...
- — Physical activity, dietary calorie re...
- Physical properties of lipids ..........
- — Yeasts in food and beverages ...........
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
Shortcut for iPhone
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
Can't find it?
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases