Books by Subject
MedicineAccess restricted to Stanford unless otherwise noted
- 5-minute clinical consult 2007, 2009-<2014>, Ovid2009 (17th ed.) Ovid2010 (18th ed.) Ovid2012 (20th ed.) Ovid2013 (21st ed.) Ovid2014 (22th ed.) Ovid
- Academic medicine 2006, SpringerDeciding on an academic career. -- About an academic career. -- What you need to know about the academic medical center. -- Finding the academic job you want. -- Basic academic skills: clinical practice, teaching, and scholarship. -- Advanced academic skills: doing research, getting grants, and writing for publication. -- Administrative skills. -- Academic medicine success skills. -- How to manage your career and your life. -- Planning for the future. -- Appendix 1: Glossary. -- Appendix 2: Collected academic medical aphorisms. -- Appendix 3: Allopathic medical schools in the United States. -- Appendix 4: Osteopathic medical schools in the United States. -- Appendix 5: Medical schools in Canada.
- Academic medicine handbook 2013, SpringerAttaining professional success and finding personal happiness in academic medicine is not an easy path, yet both are critical if the future is to be brighter through better science, better clinical care, better training, better responsiveness to communities, and better stewardship and leadership in the health professions. This concise, easy to read title consists of "mini" chapters intended as a resource to assist early- and middle-career physicians, clinicians, and scientists in understanding the unique mission of academic medicine and building creative, effective, and inspiring careers in a challenging field.
- AccessMedicine [mobile] (Online service) McGraw-Hill, Users must create a personal profile in AccessMedicine using a non-mobile browser, and log into AccessMedicine with that username and password on the mobile device (optimized for): iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry Bold.The AccessMedicine mobile website includes Harrison's Online, CURRENT Medical Diagnosis and Treatment, Picture Galleries from Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology, Clinician's Pocket Reference: The Scut Monkey, CURRENT Practice Guidelines in Primary Care, Diagnostic Tests from Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, Quick Answers, Diagnosaurus, and Drug monographs.
- ACP smart medicine STAT!RefThis point-of-care decision support tool provides access to hundreds of evidence-based recommendations on diagnosis, therapy, prevention, screening and more. Includes AHFS DI Essentials.
- Advances in mitochondrial medicine 2012, Springer
- Advice to the healer. 2nd ed. 2013, SpringerPart I. Inspirational Perspectives from History -- -- Introduction -- Ancient times -- Chinese and medieval medicine -- The twentieth century -- Modern masters -- -- Part II. Practical Advice for the Modern-Day Healer -- -- Survival tips for the younger clinician -- Civility -- Lessons learned from private practice -- A doctor's journal -- Heal thyself -- The healer.
- Antibody expression and production 2011, SpringerEngineered antibodies currently represent over 30 per cent of biopharmaceuticals in clinical trials and their total worldwide sales continue to increase significantly. The importance of antibody applications is reflected in their increasing clinical and industrial applications as well as in the progression of established and emerging production strategies. This volume provides detailed coverage of the generation, optimization, characterization, production and applications of antibody. It provides the necessary theoretical background and description of methods for the expression of antibody in.
- Assessment in health professions education 2009, ebraryIntroduction to assessment in the health professions / Steven M. Downing and Rachel Yudkowsky -- Validity and its threats / Steven M. Downing and Thomas M. Haladyna -- Reliability / Rick D. Alexson and Clarence D. Kreiter -- Generalizability theory / Clarence D. Kreiter -- Statistics of testing / Steven M. Downing -- Standard setting / Rachel Yudkowsky, Steven M. Downing, and Ara Tekian -- Written tests : constructed-response and selected-response formats / Steven M. Downing -- Observational assessment / William C. McGahie, John Butter, and Marsha Kaye -- Performance tests / Rachel Yudkowsky -- Simulations in assessment / William C. McGahie and S. Barry Issenberg -- Oral examinations / Ara Tekian and Rachel Yudkowsky -- Assessment portfolios / Ara Tekian and Rachel Yudkowsky.
- Bayesian biostatistics and diagnostic medicine 2007, CRCnetBASEIntroduction -- Diagnostic medicine -- Other diagnostic procedures -- Bayesian statistics -- Bayesian methods for diagnostic accuracy -- Regression and test accuracy -- Agreement -- Diagnostic imaging and clinical trials -- Other topics.
- Breath odors 2011, Springer
- Print Material
- Cecil Textbook of medicine. 22nd ed. v. 1-2, 2004.Print Material
- Chronic disease management 2007, SpringerOverview of chronic disease management / Jim Nuovo -- Self-management in chronic illness / Bridget R. Levich -- Use of group visits in the treatment of the chronically ill / Edward B. Noffsinger -- Chronic disease care: creating practice change / Thomas A. Balsbaugh -- Medication management in chronic diseases / Timothy W. Cutler and Marilyn Stebbins -- Providing culturally competent chronic disease management: diabetes mellitus / David Stempel and Bruce Allen Chernof -- Type 2 diabetes / Jim Nuovo -- Asthma / Samuel Louie -- Heart failure / William Lewis and Jim Nuovo -- Osteoarthritis / Ernesto Zatarain -- Obesity / Jim Nuovo -- Depression / Jim Nuovo -- Chronic pain / Jim Nuovo.
- Chronic diseases and health care 2006, SpringerChronic Diseases: Epidemiology and Health Care Disparities -- Health Care Costs -- Living with a Chronic Disease -- Diabetes Mellitus -- Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Fibromyalgia, and Low Back Pain -- Cardiovascular Disease -- Cancer.
- Clinical trials. 1st ed. 2012, ScienceDirectThe origins of drugs -- Introduction to regulated clinical trials -- Run in period -- Inclusion/exclusion criteria, stratification, and subgroups : part I -- Inclusion and stratification criteria : part II -- Randomization, allocation, and blinding -- Placebo arm as part of clinical study design -- Intent to treat analysis vs. per protocol analysis -- Biostatistics -- Introduction to endpoints for clinical trials in pharmacology -- Endpoints in clinical trials on solid tumors : objective response -- Oncology endpoints : overall survival and progression free survival -- Oncology endpoints : time to progression -- Oncology endpoint : disease free survival -- Oncology endpoint : time to distant metastasis -- Neoadjuvant therapy versus adjuvant therapy -- Hematological cancers -- Biomarkers and personalized medicine -- Endpoints in immune diseases -- Endpoints in clinical trials on infections -- Health related quality of life -- Health related quality of life instruments for immune disorders -- Health related quality of life instruments and infections -- Drug safety -- Mechanism of action : part I -- Mechanism of action, part II : cancer -- Mechanism of action, part III : immune disorders -- Mechanisms of action, part IV : infections -- Consent forms -- Package inserts -- Regulatory approval -- Patents.
- Clinician's guide to medical writing 2005, SpringerGetting started in medical writing -- Basic writing skills -- From page one to the end -- Technical issues in medical writing -- What's special about medical writing? -- How to write a review article -- Case reports, editorials, letters to the editor, book reviews, and other publication models -- Writing book chapters and books -- How to write a report of a clinical study -- Getting your writing published -- Append. 1. Glossary of terms used in medical writing -- Append. 2. Commonly used proofreader's marks -- Append. 3. Commonly used medical abbreviations -- Append. 4. Normal laboratory values for adult patients.
- Clinician's pocket reference. 11th ed. 2007, AccessMedicineHistory and physical examination -- Chartwork -- Differential diagnosis: symptoms, signs, and conditions -- Laboratory diagnosis: chemistry, immunology, serology -- Laboratory diagnosis: clinical hematology -- Laboratory diagnosis: urine studies -- Clinical microbiology -- Blood gases and acid-base disorders -- Fluids and electrolytes -- Blood component therapy -- Nutritional assessment, therapeutic diets, and infant feeding -- Enteral and parenteral nutrition -- Bedside procedures -- Pain management -- Imaging studies -- Introduction to the operating room -- Suturing techniques and wound care -- Respiratory care -- Basic ECG reading -- Critical care -- Common medical emergencies -- Commonly used medications.
- Concise dictionary of biomedicine and molecular biology. 2nd ed. 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Conn's Current therapy MD Consult, latest ed. only.
- Current clinical medicine. 2nd ed. 2010, MD Consult
- Current practice guidelines in primary care, 2014, AccessMedicine
- Print Material
- DeGowin's Diagnostic examination. 9th ed. 2009, AccessMedicineDiagnosis -- History taking and the medical record -- The screening physical examination -- Vital signs, anthropometric data, and pain -- Non-regional systems and diseases -- The skin and nails -- The head and neck -- The chest : chest wall, pulmonary, and cardiovascular systems; the breasts -- Abdomen, perineum, anus, and rectosigmoid -- The urinary system -- The female genitalia and reproductive system -- Male genitalia and reproductive system -- The spine, pelvis and extremities -- The neurologic examination -- The mental status, psychiatric, and social evaluations -- The preoperative evaluation -- Principles of diagnostic testing -- Common laboratory tests.
- Depression 2010, KargerAntidepressant compounds : a critical review / S.W. Tang, D.M. Helmeste, B. Leonard -- The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in depression / M. Julio-Pieper, T.G. Dinan -- Dysfunctional circadian rhythms and mood disorders : opportunities for novel therapeutic approaches / T.R. Norman -- The concept of depression as a dysfunction of the immune system / B.E. Leonard -- The role of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the pathology and treatment of depression / C. Song -- Overcoming antidepressant treatment resistance : focus on glutamate / J.W. Murrough, S.J. Mathew -- Neuroimaging and the pathophysiology and treatment of depression : recent advances and future needs / D.M. Cannon -- Animal models of depression : where are we going? / D.A. Slattery, J.F. Cryan -- Genetic models of depression and antidepressant response / I. Lucki -- The role of 5-HT2C receptors in the antidepressant response : a critical review / C.B.P. Martin ... [et al.] -- Chromatin-based treatments for affective disorders : insight or utopia / H.E. Covington III, O. Berton -- Neurotrophic factors and antidepressant action : recent advances / O.F. O'Leary, E. Castron -- Neurogenic basis of antidepressant action : recent advances / A. Tanti, C. Belzung -- The nature and treatment of therapy-resistant depression / S.H. Kennedy, S.J. Rizvi, P. Giacobbe -- Optimizing antidepressant management of depression : current status and future perspectives / T.L. Schwartz, S.M. Stahl.
- Differential diagnosis in internal medicine. 1st English ed. 2007, Thieme Book
- Educating physicians. 1st ed. 2010, ebraryBased on a study of physician education by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Calls for a major overhaul of the present approach to preparing doctors for their careers. The text addresses issues for the future of the field and takes a comprehensive look at the most pressing concerns in physician education today.-- excerpted from publisher notes.
- Elephant in the room 2012, SpringerRick's Big Adventure -- All My Trials -- Fish Ate My Cancer -- Smoker's Cough -- Conference With Counsel -- Coming Through -- Here's Henry -- Why Me? -- How Do They Know What I've Got? -- Doctors and Cancer: Firewall.
- English for biomedical scientists 2009, Springer
- Essential medical facts every clinician should know 2011, Springer
- The general history and physical exam -- The abdominal exam -- The breast exam -- The cardiovascular exam -- The geriatric exam -- The gynecological exam -- The head and neck exam -- The lymphatic system and lymph node exam -- The musculoskeletal exam -- The neurological exam -- The obstetric exam -- The ophthalmological exam -- The pediatric exam -- The peripheral vascular exam -- The psychiatric exam -- The peripheral vascular exam -- The psychiatric exam -- The respiratory exam -- The urological exam -- The essentials of clinical pharmacology and toxicology -- The essentials of dermatology -- The essentials of emergency medicine -- The essentials of endocrinology -- The essentials of fluids, electrolytes, and acid/base disturbances -- The eseentials of general surgery -- The essentials of infectious diseases -- The essentials of medical imaging -- The essentials of oncology -- The essentials of pain management and pre-operative assessment -- Appendix 1. Concepts in evidence-informed medical practice -- Appendix 2. Commonly used drugs -- Appendix 3. Common laboratory values -- Index.
- EuroQol Group after 25 years 2013, SpringerThe EuroQol Group first met in Rotterdam in May 1987 determined to develop a standardised non-disease-specific instrument for valuing health-related quality of life. The book traces the activities of the Group over the next 25 years. The instrument constructed, eventually named the EQ-5D, was translated into many languages and used in a wide range of countries and settings. The book describes how the instrument's descriptive system was determined, how translation and language issues were handled, and how valuations were provided. Recent developments, in particular a 5-level version (EQ-5D-5L), and a youth version (EQ-5D-Y) are covered. The history of the institutional and administrative framework within which the Group operated is also treated.
- Ferri's Practical guide. Ninth edition [9th ed.] 2014, MD ConsultFor nearly 25 years, Ferri's concise, pocket-sized resource has served as the go-to reference for practical, clinical information among students, residents, and other medical professionals. Formerly known as Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient, this volume continues to provide a fast, effective, and efficient way to identify the important clinical, laboratory, and diagnostic imaging information you need to get through your internal medicine clerkship or residency. Benefit from the expert guidance of Dr. Fred Ferri, a leading teacher, clinician, and author.Confidently manage patients with the latest clinical information, drug therapies, and lab tests.
- Field guide to bedside diagnosis. 2nd ed. 2007, Ovid
- Five minute clinical consult 2007, 2009-<2014>, Ovid2009 (17th ed.) Ovid2010 (18th ed.) Ovid2012 (20th ed.) Ovid2013 (21st ed.) Ovid2014 (22th ed.) Ovid
- Goldman's Cecil medicine. 24th ed. 2012, ScienceDirectFulltext MD ConsultSocial and ethical issues in medicine -- Principles of evaluation and management -- Preventive and environmental issues -- Aging and geriatric medicine -- Clinical pharmacology -- Genetics -- Principles of immunology and inflammation -- Cardiovascular disease -- Respiratory diseases -- Critical care medicine -- Renal and genitourinary diseases -- Gastrointestinal diseases -- Diseases of the liver, gallbladder, and bile ducts -- Hematologic diseases -- Oncology -- Metabolic diseases -- Nutritional diseases -- Endocrine diseases -- Women's health -- Diseases of bone and mineral metabolism -- Diseases of allergy and clinical immunology -- Rheumatic diseases -- Infectious diseases -- HIV and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome -- Neurology -- Eye, ear, nose, and throat diseases -- Medical consultation -- Skin diseases.
- Grosse Reuter 2005, SpringerDeutsch-Englisch -- Englisch-Deutsch.
- High dilution effects 2004, Springer
- Hooked 2007The Good, the bad, and the ugly : a story of two medications -- An Ethical framework -- The Pharmaceutical industry and the free market -- Patents, generic drugs, and academic science -- Research and profits -- Suppression of research data -- The Quality of pharmaceutical research -- The Drug rep: historical background -- The Drug rep today -- The Influence of drug reps: what the data show -- Continuing medical education -- Professional organizations and journal advertising -- The Industry and the consumer -- The FDA: from patent medicines to AIDS drugs -- The FDA and the industry, 1990-2004 -- Solutions: the management and divestment strategies -- Solutions requiring enhanced professionalism in medicine -- Solutions requiring regulatory reform.
- Hospital medicine. 2nd ed. 2005, OvidGeneral issues -- Critical care medicine -- Medical consultation -- Cardiology -- Vascular medicine -- Pulmonary -- Infectious diseases -- Hiv disease -- Gastroenterology -- Hematology - oncology -- Renal -- Endocrinology -- Rheumatology -- Neurology and psychology -- Toxicology and allergy.
- ICD-9-CM Ovid, Click on ICD-9-CM tab under ToolsFulltext Natl Cent Health Statv. 1. Diseases, tabular list -- v. 2. Diseases, alphabetic index.
- Improving patient treatment adherence 2010, SpringerIntroduction -- Physical activity and adherence -- Improving dietary adherence -- Medication adherence -- Smoking cessation and adherence -- Cancer screening adherence -- Hormonal contraceptives and adherence -- Chronic pain and adherence -- Adherence and psychotherapy -- Adherence to treatment for depression -- Adherence in the treatment of HIV and other infectious diseases -- Adherence and substance use -- Special considerations of medication adherence in childhood and adolescence -- Special considerations of adherence in older adults.
- In the public interest 2013, ebraryPublic member, researcher, and public sociologist -- How licensure became a medical institution -- The Federal bureaucracy starts a public dialogue -- The state, the media, and the shaping of public opinion -- Rhetorics of law, medicine, and public interest shape board work -- Medical and legal discourses in investigatory committees -- Hearing and sanction deliberations : transparency and fact construction issues -- Democratic deliberation and public interest.
- Integrated care in psychiatry 2014, SpringerIntegrated Care in Psychiatry: Redefining the Role of Mental Health Professionals in the Medical Setting is a landmark title in the field, offering a clear, detailed, and cohesive call by leading experts for coordinated care for patients with concurrent psychiatric and medical conditions. The renowned editors and authors argue that what is slowly occurring, and greatly needed at a faster pace, is nothing less than a sea change in the way that psychiatric care will be delivered. The current, mostly segregated, medical and psychiatric model of care has led to the development of competing medical and psychiatric subcultures that have resulted in a lack of dialog among health providers, administrators, and payers -- and thus in less than optimal patient outcomes. To remedy this problem, the book offers a practical, insightful road map to achieving the central tenet of health reform truly coordinated, patient-centered care where the care experience for the patient, the medical care itself, and the cost outcomes improve as the system changes from fee-for-service to population-based health. An invaluable reference for all clinicians, policy makers, payers, administrators, and others interested in the debate surrounding healthcare systems, Integrated Care in Psychiatry: Redefining the Role of Mental Health Professionals in the Medical Setting is a major contribution to the literature and a gold standard resource.
- International classification of diseases, 9th revision, clinical modification. 4th ed- Ovid, Click on ICD-9-CM tab under ToolsFulltext Natl Cent Health Statv. 1. Diseases, tabular list -- v. 2. Diseases, alphabetic index.
- It's great! oops, no it isn't 2009, Springer
- Lange Self-assessment tool AccessMedicine, Stanford users must registerAccess to 3000+ exam questions.
- Lasers in medicine 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Life after residency 2009, Springer
- Lists of doctors/hospitals abroad US Dept State
- MD Consult (Online service) DatabaseMD consult provides access to textbooks, electronic journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts.
- Medical education for the future 2011, Springer"The purpose of medical education is to benefit patients by improving the work of doctors. Patient centeredness is a centuries old concept in medicine, but there is still a long way to go before medical education can truly be said to be patient centered. Ensuring the centrality of the patient is a particular challenge during medical education, when students are still forming an identity as trainee doctors, and conservative attitudes towards medicine and education are common amongst medical teachers, making it hard to bring about improvements. How can teachers, policy makers, researchers and doctors bring about lasting change that will restore the patient to the heart of medical education? The authors, experienced medical educators, explore the role of the patient in medical education in terms of identity, power and location. Using innovative political, philosophical, cultural and literary critical frameworks that have previously never been applied so consistently to the field, the authors provide a fundamental reconceptualisation of medical teaching and learning, with an emphasis upon learning at the bedside and in the clinic. They offer a wealth of practical and conceptual insights into the three-way relationship between patients, students and teachers, setting out a radical and exciting approach to a medical education for the future." --Publisher description.
- Medical English 2006, Springer
- Medical error and harm 2011, CRCnetBASE"This book arrives at a time of heightened concerns about patient safety in medical care and the overall responsibility assumed by health professionals. It begins by exploring experiences of error and harm in general, and it covers medical errors that can be attributed to system failures and errors in an individual's reasoning, subsequent decision-making, and execution of tasks in medical care. It focuses on how to detect, correct, and avoid errors and their sometimes disastrous consequences. The book concludes with an analysis of the contributions and expectations of physicians in tort litigation and legal decision-making"--Provided by publisher.
- Medical error and patient safety 2008, CRCnetBASEIntroduction -- General concepts -- Medical services -- Medical devices -- Analysis -- Human factors -- Management errors -- Communications -- Drug delivery.
- Medical ethics manual. 2nd ed. 2009, WMA, Scroll to bottom of page for download options.1. Principal Features of Medical Ethics -- 2. Physicians and Patients -- 3. Physicians and Society -- 4. Physicians and Colleagues -- 5. Medical Research -- 6. Conclusion.
- Medical wisdom and doctoring 2010, SpringerMedical wisdom in the twenty-first century -- Caring for the patient -- Clinical dialogue and communication -- The art of clinical diagnosis -- Disease management and prevention -- Caring for dying patients and their families -- Masking a living as a clinician -- Staying up to date -- Mentoring tomorrow's physicians -- About your family and community -- Caring for you, the physician -- Ethics, credibility, and trust -- Planning for tomorrow -- Wise physicians, twenty-first century challenges, and doctoring.
- Medical writing. 2nd ed. 2011, SpringerGetting Started in Medical Writing -- Basic Writing Skills -- From Page One to the End -- Technical Issues in Medical Writing -- What's Special About Medical Writing? -- How to Write a Review Article -- Case Reports, Editorials, Letters to the Editor, Book Reviews, and Other Publication Models -- Writing Book Chapters and Books -- How to Write a Research Protocol -- How to Write a Grant Proposal -- How to Write a Report of a Clinical Study -- Getting Your Writing Published.
- Medicine and business 2014, SpringerHealthcare and Business -- Leadership and Governance -- Revenue Cycle -- Financial Definitions and Variances -- Income Statement -- Balance Sheet -- Statement of Cash Flows -- Financial Ratios -- Budgeting and Variance Analysis -- Strategic Planning and Business Planning -- Healthcare Insurance -- Managed Care -- Payment Methods -- Corporation and Hospital Structures -- Physician Employment and Compensation -- Medical Business Law and Regulations -- New Government Initiatives.
- Merriam-Webster's Medical dictionary 2007-, NLM
- Molecular interventions in lifestyle related diseases 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Monitoring of respiration and circulation 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Multidisciplinary approaches to theory in medicine 2006, ScienceDirect
- My NCBI help documentation 2005, NCBI Bookshelf"This book contains information on how to use My NCBI, a tool developed by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) that replaces a previous feature called Cubby. This documentation is part of a growing collection of searchable help documents being produced for several resources available at NCBI."
- Mystery of yawning in physiology and disease 2010, KargerThe first complete and authoritative book on yawning.
- Optical techniques in regenerative medicine 2014, CRCnetBASE"This book is focused on the optical techniques that can be applied to regenerative medicine, including optical coherence tomography, acousto-optic imaging, Raman spectroscopy, machine vision, polarized light imaging, fibre optic sensors, second harmonic generation, multi-photon microscopy, coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering, and polarized light imaging. It covers applications both in fundamental research and in the regenerative medicine industry for tissue engineering products. Each chapter gives an overview of a particular technique, its advantages and limitations in terms of structural and functional information provided, and examples of applications in regenerative medicine. The book provides a practical guide to the most appropriate techniques for a given application. It also offers a summary of major recent advances, such as use of machine vision for tracking growth of three-dimensional constructs in bioreactors and polarization sensitive optical coherence tomography for monitoring collagen alignment in cartilage growth"--Provided by publisher.
- Optimization in medicine 2008, Springer
- Osler medical handbook. 2nd ed. 2006, MD Consult
- Oxford Textbook of medicine. 5th ed. v. 1-3, 2010.Print Materialv. 1. -- section 1. On being a patient -- section 2. Modern medicine: foundations, achievements, and limitations -- section 3. Global patterns of disease and medical practice -- section 4. Cell biology -- section 5. Immunological mechanisms -- section 6. Principles of clinical oncology -- section 7. Infection -- section 8. Sexually transmitted diseases and sexual health -- section 9. Chemical and physical injuries and environmental factors and disease -- section 10. Clinical pharmacology -- section 11. Nutrition -- section 12. Metabolic disorders -- v. 2. -- section 13. Endocrine disorders -- section 14. Medical disorders in pregnancy -- section 15. Gastroenterological disorders -- section 16. Cardiovascular disorders -- section 17. Critical care medicine -- section 18. Respiratory disorders -- section 19. Rheumatological disorders -- v. 3. -- section 20. Disorders of the skeleton -- section 21. Disorders of the kidney and urinary tract -- section 22. Disorders of the blood -- section 23. Disorders of the skin -- section 24. Neurological disorders -- section 25. The eye -- section 26. Psychiatry and drug related problems -- section 27. Forensic medicine -- section 28. Sports medicine -- section 29. Geratology -- section 30. Pain -- section 31. Palliative medicine -- section 32. Biochemistry in medicine -- section 33. Acute medicine.
- Passing the USMLE. Basic science 2009, Springer
- Passing the USMLE. Clinical knowledge 2009, Springer
- Patient history. 2nd ed. 2012, AccessMedicineHistory and physical examination : art and science -- Subtleties of medical history taking -- Patient-centered interviewing -- Clinician-centered interviewing -- Evidence-based clinical decision making -- Dizziness -- Fatigue -- Fever -- Headache -- Insomnia -- Lymphadenopathy -- Night sweats -- Muscle weakness -- Weight gain -- Weight loss -- Red eye -- Ear pain -- Hearing loss -- Tinnitus -- Sore throat -- Inflammatory dermatoses (rashes) -- Pruritus -- Hair loss -- Cough -- Dyspnea -- Hemoptysis -- Chest pain -- Palpitations -- Syncope -- Edema -- Abdominal pain -- Constipation -- Diarrhea -- Dysepsia -- Dysphagia -- Acute gastrointestinal bleeding -- Jaundice -- Nausea and vomiting -- Anorectal pain -- Dysuria -- Hematuria -- Flank pain -- Erectile dysfunction -- Urinary incontinence -- Scrotal pain -- Amenorrhea -- Breast complaints -- Pelvic pain -- Vaginitis -- Abnormal vaginal bleeding -- Neck pain -- Shoulder pain -- Arm and hand pain -- Low back pain -- Buttock, hip, and thigh pain -- Knee and calf pain -- Foot and ankle pain -- Confusion -- Memory loss -- Diplopia -- Gait abnormalities -- Tremor -- Anxiety -- Depressed mood -- The case presentation.
- Pearls for leaders in academic medicine 2008, Springer
- Perioperative medicine 2011, SpringerRole of the Medical Consultant -- Preoperative Testing -- Perioperative Medication Management -- Perioperative Management of Anticoagulation -- Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis -- Prevention of Infective Endocarditis (Bacterial Endocarditis Prophylaxis) -- Surgical Site Infection Prophylaxis -- Anesthesiology for the Nonanesthesiologist -- Abdominal Surgery -- Thoracic Surgery -- Vascular Surgery -- Orthopedic Surgery -- Neurosurgery -- Gynecologic Surgery -- Urologic Surgery -- Bariatric Surgery -- Ophthalmic Surgery -- Otolaryngologic Procedures -- Electroconvulsive Therapy -- Cardiac Disease -- Pulmonary Disease -- Endocrine Disease -- Hematologic Disease -- Cancer -- HIV -- Chronic Kidney Disease -- GI Disease -- Rheumatic Disease -- Neurological Disease -- Psychiatric Conditions -- Substance Abuse -- The Pregnant Surgical Patient -- Postoperative Fever -- Postoperative Hypertension/Hypotension -- Postoperative Arrhythmias -- Perioperative Chest Pain/Dyspnea -- Postoperative Pulmonary Complications -- Postoperative Venous Thromboembolism (DVT and PE) -- Postoperative Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid/Base Disorders -- Postoperative Renal Failure -- Anemia and Bleeding -- Postoperative Jaundice -- Postoperative Stroke and Seizures -- Postoperative Delirium -- Pain Management.
- Physician scientist's career guide 2011, Springerpt. 1. Getting started as physician-scientist. -- Beginnings -- Is a physician-scientist career right for you? -- Training as a physician-scientist -- pt. 2. Launching your career as a physician-scientist. -- Getting a job -- Appointments, tenure, promotions, and sabbaticals -- Teaching -- Administration -- Research -- pt. 3. Building your career as a physician-scientist. -- Writing -- Publishing -- Grants -- Grantsmanship -- Peer review of grant applications -- Managing your team, time, and money -- Mentorship -- Lectures and presentations -- Relations with industry -- pt. 4. Parting words of advice : putting it all together. -- Balancing research, clinical activities, and family life -- Improving the physician-scientist pathway -- Concluding remarks.
- Physician supply and demand 2006, HRSA
- Power analysis for experimental research 2002, ebraryThe conceptual underpinnings of statistical power -- Strategies for increasing statistical power -- General guidelines for conducting a power analysis -- The t-test for independent samples -- The paired t-test -- One-way between subjects analysis of variance -- One-way between subjects analysis of covariance -- One-way repeated measures analysis of variance -- Interaction effects for factorial analysis of variance -- Power analysis for more complex designs -- Other power analytic issues and resources for addressing them.
- Preparing and delivering scientific presentations 2011, SpringerTo speak or not to speak? : questions you should ask yourself before agreeing to do a talk in English -- Preparing a talk -- Useful language for scientific presentations -- Common mistakes in language usage -- Delivering a talk -- The dreaded questions and comments section -- Chairing a session -- Attending an international scientific congress -- Conversation survival guide -- Improving your pronunciation.
- Primary care English 2007, Springer
- Principles and practice of hospital medicine 2012, AccessMedicineThe goal of the book is provide trainees, junior and senior clinicians, and other professionals with a comprehensive resource that they can use to improve care processes and performance in the hospitals that serve their communities. Includes case studies.
- Principles of medical biology v. 2-15, 1995-2004., ScienceDirect
- Problems of High Altitude Medicine and Biology 2007, Springer
- Signs and symptoms -- Selected signs and symptoms -- Potential agents of bioterrorism -- Common signs and symptoms associated with herbs -- Obtaining a health history -- Guide to laboratory test results.
- Signs & symptoms (A-Z) -- Appendices -- Selected signs & symptoms -- Potential agents of bioterrorism -- Adverse effects associated with herbs -- Obtaining a health history -- Guide to laboratory test results.
- Introduction and technical survey: Protein aggregation and fibrillogenesis --Fibril formation by short synthetic peptides --In vitrooligomerization and fibrillogenesis of amyloid-beta peptides --Tau fibrillogenesis --Prion protein aggregation and fibrillogenesisin vitro --Alpha-synuclein aggregation and modulating factors --Pathological self-aggregation of [beta](2)-microglobulin: A challenge for protein biophysics --Islet amyloid polypeptide: Aggregation and fibrillogenesisin vitroand its inhibition --Mechanisms of transthyretin aggregation and toxicity --Fibrillogenesis of huntingtin and other glutamine containing proteins --Aggregation and fibrillogenesis of proteins not associated with disease: a few case studies --Experimental inhibition of peptide fibrillogenesis by synthetic peptides, carbohydrates and drugs --Experimental inhibition of fibrillogenesis and neurotoxicity by amyloid-beta (abeta) and other disease-related peptides/proteins by plant extracts and herbal compounds --Alzheimer's disease --Modeling the polyglutamine aggregation pathway in Huntington's disease: from basic studies to clinical applications --Parkinson's disease --Human prion diseases: From kuru to variant Creutzfeldt-jakob disease --Animal prion diseases --[beta](2)-Microglobulin amyloidosis --Systemic AA amyloidosis --Familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy and transthyretin --The challenge of systemic immunoglobulin light-chain amyloidosis (AL).
- Psychological impact of acute and chronic illness 2007, Springer
- PubMed help NCBI BookshelfPubMed quick start -- Searching PubMed -- Understanding your search results -- Displaying and sorting your search results -- Changing how search results are displayed -- Finding related resources for a citation -- Viewing your search history -- Displaying the search details -- Printing citations -- Saving and e-mailing results and searches -- My NCBI.
- Quick AccessMedicine 2011, AccessMedicine
- Quick answers to medical diagnosis and therapy (AccessMedicine) 2011, AccessMedicine
- Randomized clinical trials of nonpharmacological treatments 2012, CRCnetBASE"Nonpharmacological treatments include a wide variety of treatments such as surgery, technical procedures, implantable devices, nonimplantable devices, rehabilitation, psychoteherapy, and behavioral interventions. This book focuses on the methods of assessing nonpharmacological treatments, highlighting specific issues and discussing all possible design of trials. It provides practical examples to underline the issues and solutions in assessing nonpharmacological treatment in trials. Arguably the first book to exclusively explore this topic, it discusses various categories of treatments from surgical procedures to psychotherapy"--Provided by publisher.
- Regenerative medicine applications in organ transplantation. 1st ed. 2014, ScienceDirect
- Research in clinical practice 2013, SpringerResearch in Clinical Practice is a neat, pocket-sized reference guide examining how to get the most from actively participating in research. Including how to begin, avoiding pitfalls, whom to approach and what questions to ask - all significant practicalities for conducting research in the reader's area of interest. Each reader will learn how to make the best use of such a valuable time. Written by two experienced surgeons, both of whom achieved post graduate research degrees, Research in Clinical Practice, is an essential tool for clinicians embarking on a research project as well as those who are new to supervising researchers.
- "Comprehensive research and a highly trained workforce are essential for the improvement of health and health care both nationally and internationally. Over the past 40 years the National Research Services Award (NRSA) Program has played a large role in training the workforce responsible for dramatic advances in the understanding of various diseases and new insights that have led to more effective and targeted therapies. In spite of this program, the difficulty obtaining jobs after the postdoc period has discouraged many domestic students from pursuing graduate postdoc training. In the United States, more than 50 percent of the postdoc workforce is made up of individuals who obtained their Ph. D.s from other countries. Indeed, one can make a strong argument that the influx of highly trained and creative foreigners has contributed greatly to U.S. science over the past 70 years. Research Training in the Biomedical, Behavioral, and Clinical Research Sciences discusses a number of important issues, including: the job prospects for postdocs completing their training; questions about the continued supply of international postdocs in an increasingly competitive world; the need for equal, excellent training for all graduate students who receive NIH funding; and the need to increase the diversity of trainees. The book recommends improvements in minority recruiting, more rigorous and extensive training in the responsible conduct of research and ethics, increased emphasis on career development, more attention to outcomes, and the requirement for incorporating more quantitative thinking in the biomedical curriculum."--Publisher's description.
- Sex and gender aspects in clinical medicine 2012, Springer
- Small doses of the future 2014, SpringerLike many fields of science, the future of medicine is frequently predicted by the science fiction writers of today, very much as many of today's medical advances were presaged by science fiction stories of the past. In this book, physician and science fiction author Brad Aiken conveys his own speculations about our medical future through nine highly entertaining and thought-provoking short stories. Touching upon a great variety of themes, including but not limited to telemedicine and remote surgery, vaccination strategies against unknown deathly pathogens, nanomedicine to cure diseases and retard ageing, bionics, cloning and euthanasia, we get a glimpse of what might be awaiting humanity. Yet, in these stories it is always the protagonists, humans after all, who remain at the center stage, not the new technologies. This provides the fictional material with a unique blend of science fiction and social fantasy. It also warns us to be wary of the pitfalls of too much reliance on dehumanizing technology and to make sure it remains our helper, not our master. Last but not least, an extensive scientific essay investigates the interplay between science fiction and both past and current advances in medical sciences and technology, making the link to the fictional material in the book as well as to the relevant scientific literature.
- Statistical evidence in medical trials 2006, MyiLibraryApples or oranges? -- selection of the control group -- Who was left out? exclusions, refusals, and drop-outs -- Mountain or molehill? the clinical importance of the results -- What do the other witnesses say? corroborating vidence -- Do the pieces fit together? systematic overviews and meta-analysis -- What do all these numbers mean? -- Where is the evidence? searching for information.
- Systems biomedicine 2010, ScienceDirect
- Taylor's Diagnostic and therapeutic challenges 2005, Springer
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases