Books by Subject
- 5-minute clinical consult 2007, 2009-<2010>, Ovid2009 (17th ed.) Ovid2010 (18th ed.) Ovid2012 (20th ed.) Ovid2013 (21st ed.) Ovid2014 (22th ed.) Ovid
- Academic medicine 2006, SpringerDeciding on an academic career. -- About an academic career. -- What you need to know about the academic medical center. -- Finding the academic job you want. -- Basic academic skills: clinical practice, teaching, and scholarship. -- Advanced academic skills: doing research, getting grants, and writing for publication. -- Administrative skills. -- Academic medicine success skills. -- How to manage your career and your life. -- Planning for the future. -- Appendix 1: Glossary. -- Appendix 2: Collected academic medical aphorisms. -- Appendix 3: Allopathic medical schools in the United States. -- Appendix 4: Osteopathic medical schools in the United States. -- Appendix 5: Medical schools in Canada.
- Academic medicine handbook 2013, SpringerAttaining professional success and finding personal happiness in academic medicine is not an easy path, yet both are critical if the future is to be brighter through better science, better clinical care, better training, better responsiveness to communities, and better stewardship and leadership in the health professions. This concise, easy to read title consists of "mini" chapters intended as a resource to assist early- and middle-career physicians, clinicians, and scientists in understanding the unique mission of academic medicine and building creative, effective, and inspiring careers in a challenging field.
- ACP smart medicine STAT!RefThis point-of-care decision support tool provides access to hundreds of evidence-based recommendations on diagnosis, therapy, prevention, screening and more. Includes AHFS DI Essentials.
- Advances in mitochondrial medicine 2012, Springer
- Advice to the young physician 2009, Springer
- Antibody expression and production 2011, SpringerEngineered antibodies currently represent over 30 per cent of biopharmaceuticals in clinical trials and their total worldwide sales continue to increase significantly. The importance of antibody applications is reflected in their increasing clinical and industrial applications as well as in the progression of established and emerging production strategies. This volume provides detailed coverage of the generation, optimization, characterization, production and applications of antibody. It provides the necessary theoretical background and description of methods for the expression of antibody in.
- Assessment in health professions education 2009, ebraryIntroduction to assessment in the health professions / Steven M. Downing and Rachel Yudkowsky -- Validity and its threats / Steven M. Downing and Thomas M. Haladyna -- Reliability / Rick D. Alexson and Clarence D. Kreiter -- Generalizability theory / Clarence D. Kreiter -- Statistics of testing / Steven M. Downing -- Standard setting / Rachel Yudkowsky, Steven M. Downing, and Ara Tekian -- Written tests : constructed-response and selected-response formats / Steven M. Downing -- Observational assessment / William C. McGahie, John Butter, and Marsha Kaye -- Performance tests / Rachel Yudkowsky -- Simulations in assessment / William C. McGahie and S. Barry Issenberg -- Oral examinations / Ara Tekian and Rachel Yudkowsky -- Assessment portfolios / Ara Tekian and Rachel Yudkowsky.
- Bayesian biostatistics and diagnostic medicine 2007, CRCnetBASEIntroduction -- Diagnostic medicine -- Other diagnostic procedures -- Bayesian statistics -- Bayesian methods for diagnostic accuracy -- Regression and test accuracy -- Agreement -- Diagnostic imaging and clinical trials -- Other topics.
- Breath odors 2011, Springer
- Cecil Textbook of medicine. 22nd ed. v. 1-2, 2004.
- Century of Nobel Prizes recipients 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Chronic disease management 2007, SpringerOverview of chronic disease management / Jim Nuovo -- Self-management in chronic illness / Bridget R. Levich -- Use of group visits in the treatment of the chronically ill / Edward B. Noffsinger -- Chronic disease care: creating practice change / Thomas A. Balsbaugh -- Medication management in chronic diseases / Timothy W. Cutler and Marilyn Stebbins -- Providing culturally competent chronic disease management: diabetes mellitus / David Stempel and Bruce Allen Chernof -- Type 2 diabetes / Jim Nuovo -- Asthma / Samuel Louie -- Heart failure / William Lewis and Jim Nuovo -- Osteoarthritis / Ernesto Zatarain -- Obesity / Jim Nuovo -- Depression / Jim Nuovo -- Chronic pain / Jim Nuovo.
- Chronic diseases and health care 2006, SpringerChronic Diseases: Epidemiology and Health Care Disparities -- Health Care Costs -- Living with a Chronic Disease -- Diabetes Mellitus -- Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Fibromyalgia, and Low Back Pain -- Cardiovascular Disease -- Cancer.
- Clinical trials. 1st ed. 2012, ScienceDirectThe origins of drugs -- Introduction to regulated clinical trials -- Run in period -- Inclusion/exclusion criteria, stratification, and subgroups : part I -- Inclusion and stratification criteria : part II -- Randomization, allocation, and blinding -- Placebo arm as part of clinical study design -- Intent to treat analysis vs. per protocol analysis -- Biostatistics -- Introduction to endpoints for clinical trials in pharmacology -- Endpoints in clinical trials on solid tumors : objective response -- Oncology endpoints : overall survival and progression free survival -- Oncology endpoints : time to progression -- Oncology endpoint : disease free survival -- Oncology endpoint : time to distant metastasis -- Neoadjuvant therapy versus adjuvant therapy -- Hematological cancers -- Biomarkers and personalized medicine -- Endpoints in immune diseases -- Endpoints in clinical trials on infections -- Health related quality of life -- Health related quality of life instruments for immune disorders -- Health related quality of life instruments and infections -- Drug safety -- Mechanism of action : part I -- Mechanism of action, part II : cancer -- Mechanism of action, part III : immune disorders -- Mechanisms of action, part IV : infections -- Consent forms -- Package inserts -- Regulatory approval -- Patents.
- Clinician's guide to medical writing 2005, SpringerGetting started in medical writing -- Basic writing skills -- From page one to the end -- Technical issues in medical writing -- What's special about medical writing? -- How to write a review article -- Case reports, editorials, letters to the editor, book reviews, and other publication models -- Writing book chapters and books -- How to write a report of a clinical study -- Getting your writing published -- Append. 1. Glossary of terms used in medical writing -- Append. 2. Commonly used proofreader's marks -- Append. 3. Commonly used medical abbreviations -- Append. 4. Normal laboratory values for adult patients.
- Clinician's pocket reference. 11th ed. 2007, AccessMedicineHistory and physical examination -- Chartwork -- Differential diagnosis: symptoms, signs, and conditions -- Laboratory diagnosis: chemistry, immunology, serology -- Laboratory diagnosis: clinical hematology -- Laboratory diagnosis: urine studies -- Clinical microbiology -- Blood gases and acid-base disorders -- Fluids and electrolytes -- Blood component therapy -- Nutritional assessment, therapeutic diets, and infant feeding -- Enteral and parenteral nutrition -- Bedside procedures -- Pain management -- Imaging studies -- Introduction to the operating room -- Suturing techniques and wound care -- Respiratory care -- Basic ECG reading -- Critical care -- Common medical emergencies -- Commonly used medications.
- Concise dictionary of biomedicine and molecular biology. 2nd ed. 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Conn's Current therapy MD Consult, latest ed. only.
- Current clinical medicine. 2nd ed. 2010, MD Consult
- Current practice guidelines in primary care 2013, AccessMedicine
- DeGowin's Diagnostic examination. 9th ed. 2009, AccessMedicineDiagnosis -- History taking and the medical record -- The screening physical examination -- Vital signs, anthropometric data, and pain -- Non-regional systems and diseases -- The skin and nails -- The head and neck -- The chest : chest wall, pulmonary, and cardiovascular systems; the breasts -- Abdomen, perineum, anus, and rectosigmoid -- The urinary system -- The female genitalia and reproductive system -- Male genitalia and reproductive system -- The spine, pelvis and extremities -- The neurologic examination -- The mental status, psychiatric, and social evaluations -- The preoperative evaluation -- Principles of diagnostic testing -- Common laboratory tests.
- Depression 2010, KargerAntidepressant compounds : a critical review / S.W. Tang, D.M. Helmeste, B. Leonard -- The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in depression / M. Julio-Pieper, T.G. Dinan -- Dysfunctional circadian rhythms and mood disorders : opportunities for novel therapeutic approaches / T.R. Norman -- The concept of depression as a dysfunction of the immune system / B.E. Leonard -- The role of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the pathology and treatment of depression / C. Song -- Overcoming antidepressant treatment resistance : focus on glutamate / J.W. Murrough, S.J. Mathew -- Neuroimaging and the pathophysiology and treatment of depression : recent advances and future needs / D.M. Cannon -- Animal models of depression : where are we going? / D.A. Slattery, J.F. Cryan -- Genetic models of depression and antidepressant response / I. Lucki -- The role of 5-HT2C receptors in the antidepressant response : a critical review / C.B.P. Martin ... [et al.] -- Chromatin-based treatments for affective disorders : insight or utopia / H.E. Covington III, O. Berton -- Neurotrophic factors and antidepressant action : recent advances / O.F. O'Leary, E. Castron -- Neurogenic basis of antidepressant action : recent advances / A. Tanti, C. Belzung -- The nature and treatment of therapy-resistant depression / S.H. Kennedy, S.J. Rizvi, P. Giacobbe -- Optimizing antidepressant management of depression : current status and future perspectives / T.L. Schwartz, S.M. Stahl.
- Design controls for the medical industry 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Differential diagnosis in internal medicine. 1st English ed. 2007, Thieme Book
- Educating physicians. 1st ed. 2010, ebraryBased on a study of physician education by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Calls for a major overhaul of the present approach to preparing doctors for their careers. The text addresses issues for the future of the field and takes a comprehensive look at the most pressing concerns in physician education today.-- excerpted from publisher notes.
- Elephant in the room 2012, SpringerRick's Big Adventure -- All My Trials -- Fish Ate My Cancer -- Smoker's Cough -- Conference With Counsel -- Coming Through -- Here's Henry -- Why Me? -- How Do They Know What I've Got? -- Doctors and Cancer: Firewall.
- English for biomedical scientists 2009, Springer
- Essential medical facts every clinician should know 2011, Springer
- EuroQol Group after 25 years 2013, Springer
- Field guide to bedside diagnosis. 2nd ed. 2007, Ovid
- Five minute clinical consult 2007, 2009-<2010>, Ovid2009 (17th ed.) Ovid2010 (18th ed.) Ovid2012 (20th ed.) Ovid2013 (21st ed.) Ovid2014 (22th ed.) Ovid
- Goldman's Cecil medicine. 24th ed. 2012, ScienceDirectFulltext MD ConsultSocial and ethical issues in medicine -- Principles of evaluation and management -- Preventive and environmental issues -- Aging and geriatric medicine -- Clinical pharmacology -- Genetics -- Principles of immunology and inflammation -- Cardiovascular disease -- Respiratory diseases -- Critical care medicine -- Renal and genitourinary diseases -- Gastrointestinal diseases -- Diseases of the liver, gallbladder, and bile ducts -- Hematologic diseases -- Oncology -- Metabolic diseases -- Nutritional diseases -- Endocrine diseases -- Women's health -- Diseases of bone and mineral metabolism -- Diseases of allergy and clinical immunology -- Rheumatic diseases -- Infectious diseases -- HIV and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome -- Neurology -- Eye, ear, nose, and throat diseases -- Medical consultation -- Skin diseases.
- Grosse Reuter 2005, SpringerDeutsch-Englisch -- Englisch-Deutsch.
- High dilution effects 2004, Springer
- Hooked 2007The Good, the bad, and the ugly : a story of two medications -- An Ethical framework -- The Pharmaceutical industry and the free market -- Patents, generic drugs, and academic science -- Research and profits -- Suppression of research data -- The Quality of pharmaceutical research -- The Drug rep: historical background -- The Drug rep today -- The Influence of drug reps: what the data show -- Continuing medical education -- Professional organizations and journal advertising -- The Industry and the consumer -- The FDA: from patent medicines to AIDS drugs -- The FDA and the industry, 1990-2004 -- Solutions: the management and divestment strategies -- Solutions requiring enhanced professionalism in medicine -- Solutions requiring regulatory reform.
- Hospital medicine. 2nd ed. 2005, OvidGeneral issues -- Critical care medicine -- Medical consultation -- Cardiology -- Vascular medicine -- Pulmonary -- Infectious diseases -- Hiv disease -- Gastroenterology -- Hematology - oncology -- Renal -- Endocrinology -- Rheumatology -- Neurology and psychology -- Toxicology and allergy.
- ICD-9-CM Ovid, Click on ICD-9-CM tab under ToolsFulltext Natl Cent Health Statv. 1. Diseases, tabular list -- v. 2. Diseases, alphabetic index.
- Improving patient treatment adherence 2010, SpringerIntroduction -- Physical activity and adherence -- Improving dietary adherence -- Medication adherence -- Smoking cessation and adherence -- Cancer screening adherence -- Hormonal contraceptives and adherence -- Chronic pain and adherence -- Adherence and psychotherapy -- Adherence to treatment for depression -- Adherence in the treatment of HIV and other infectious diseases -- Adherence and substance use -- Special considerations of medication adherence in childhood and adolescence -- Special considerations of adherence in older adults.
- International classification of diseases, 9th revision, clinical modification. 4th ed- Ovid, Click on ICD-9-CM tab under ToolsFulltext Natl Cent Health Statv. 1. Diseases, tabular list -- v. 2. Diseases, alphabetic index.
- It's great! oops, no it isn't 2009, Springer
- Lange Self-assessment tool AccessMedicine, Stanford users must registerAccess to 3000+ exam questions.
- Lasers in medicine 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Life after residency 2009, Springer
- Lists of doctors/hospitals abroad US Dept State
- MD Consult (Online service) DatabaseMD consult provides access to textbooks, electronic journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts.
- Medical education for the future 2011, Springer
- Medical English 2006, Springer
- Medical error and harm 2011, CRCnetBASE"This book arrives at a time of heightened concerns about patient safety in medical care and the overall responsibility assumed by health professionals. It begins by exploring experiences of error and harm in general, and it covers medical errors that can be attributed to system failures and errors in an individual's reasoning, subsequent decision-making, and execution of tasks in medical care. It focuses on how to detect, correct, and avoid errors and their sometimes disastrous consequences. The book concludes with an analysis of the contributions and expectations of physicians in tort litigation and legal decision-making"--Provided by publisher.
- Medical error and patient safety 2008, CRCnetBASEIntroduction -- General concepts -- Medical services -- Medical devices -- Analysis -- Human factors -- Management errors -- Communications -- Drug delivery.
- Medical wisdom and doctoring 2010, SpringerMedical wisdom in the twenty-first century -- Caring for the patient -- Clinical dialogue and communication -- The art of clinical diagnosis -- Disease management and prevention -- Caring for dying patients and their families -- Masking a living as a clinician -- Staying up to date -- Mentoring tomorrow's physicians -- About your family and community -- Caring for you, the physician -- Ethics, credibility, and trust -- Planning for tomorrow -- Wise physicians, twenty-first century challenges, and doctoring.
- Merriam-Webster's Medical dictionary 2007-, NLM
- Molecular interventions in lifestyle related diseases 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Monitoring of respiration and circulation 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Multidisciplinary approaches to theory in medicine 2006, ScienceDirect
- My NCBI help documentation 2005, NCBI Bookshelf"This book contains information on how to use My NCBI, a tool developed by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) that replaces a previous feature called Cubby. This documentation is part of a growing collection of searchable help documents being produced for several resources available at NCBI."
- Mystery of yawning in physiology and disease 2010, KargerThe first complete and authoritative book on yawning.
- Optimization in medicine 2008, Springer
- Osler medical handbook. 2nd ed. 2006, MD Consult
- Oxford Textbook of medicine. 5th ed. 2010, Oxford Medicinev. 1. -- section 1. On being a patient -- section 2. Modern medicine: foundations, achievements, and limitations -- section 3. Global patterns of disease and medical practice -- section 4. Cell biology -- section 5. Immunological mechanisms -- section 6. Principles of clinical oncology -- section 7. Infection -- section 8. Sexually transmitted diseases and sexual health -- section 9. Chemical and physical injuries and environmental factors and disease -- section 10. Clinical pharmacology -- section 11. Nutrition -- section 12. Metabolic disorders -- v. 2. -- section 13. Endocrine disorders -- section 14. Medical disorders in pregnancy -- section 15. Gastroenterological disorders -- section 16. Cardiovascular disorders -- section 17. Critical care medicine -- section 18. Respiratory disorders -- section 19. Rheumatological disorders -- v. 3. -- section 20. Disorders of the skeleton -- section 21. Disorders of the kidney and urinary tract -- section 22. Disorders of the blood -- section 23. Disorders of the skin -- section 24. Neurological disorders -- section 25. The eye -- section 26. Psychiatry and drug related problems -- section 27. Forensic medicine -- section 28. Sports medicine -- section 29. Geratology -- section 30. Pain -- section 31. Palliative medicine -- section 32. Biochemistry in medicine -- section 33. Acute medicine.
- Passing the USMLE. Basic science 2009, Springer
- Passing the USMLE. Clinical knowledge 2009, Springer
- Patient history. 2nd ed. 2012, AccessMedicineHistory and physical examination : art and science -- Subtleties of medical history taking -- Patient-centered interviewing -- Clinician-centered interviewing -- Evidence-based clinical decision making -- Dizziness -- Fatigue -- Fever -- Headache -- Insomnia -- Lymphadenopathy -- Night sweats -- Muscle weakness -- Weight gain -- Weight loss -- Red eye -- Ear pain -- Hearing loss -- Tinnitus -- Sore throat -- Inflammatory dermatoses (rashes) -- Pruritus -- Hair loss -- Cough -- Dyspnea -- Hemoptysis -- Chest pain -- Palpitations -- Syncope -- Edema -- Abdominal pain -- Constipation -- Diarrhea -- Dysepsia -- Dysphagia -- Acute gastrointestinal bleeding -- Jaundice -- Nausea and vomiting -- Anorectal pain -- Dysuria -- Hematuria -- Flank pain -- Erectile dysfunction -- Urinary incontinence -- Scrotal pain -- Amenorrhea -- Breast complaints -- Pelvic pain -- Vaginitis -- Abnormal vaginal bleeding -- Neck pain -- Shoulder pain -- Arm and hand pain -- Low back pain -- Buttock, hip, and thigh pain -- Knee and calf pain -- Foot and ankle pain -- Confusion -- Memory loss -- Diplopia -- Gait abnormalities -- Tremor -- Anxiety -- Depressed mood -- The case presentation.
- Pearls for leaders in academic medicine 2008, Springer
- Perioperative medicine 2011, SpringerRole of the Medical Consultant -- Preoperative Testing -- Perioperative Medication Management -- Perioperative Management of Anticoagulation -- Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis -- Prevention of Infective Endocarditis (Bacterial Endocarditis Prophylaxis) -- Surgical Site Infection Prophylaxis -- Anesthesiology for the Nonanesthesiologist -- Abdominal Surgery -- Thoracic Surgery -- Vascular Surgery -- Orthopedic Surgery -- Neurosurgery -- Gynecologic Surgery -- Urologic Surgery -- Bariatric Surgery -- Ophthalmic Surgery -- Otolaryngologic Procedures -- Electroconvulsive Therapy -- Cardiac Disease -- Pulmonary Disease -- Endocrine Disease -- Hematologic Disease -- Cancer -- HIV -- Chronic Kidney Disease -- GI Disease -- Rheumatic Disease -- Neurological Disease -- Psychiatric Conditions -- Substance Abuse -- The Pregnant Surgical Patient -- Postoperative Fever -- Postoperative Hypertension/Hypotension -- Postoperative Arrhythmias -- Perioperative Chest Pain/Dyspnea -- Postoperative Pulmonary Complications -- Postoperative Venous Thromboembolism (DVT and PE) -- Postoperative Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid/Base Disorders -- Postoperative Renal Failure -- Anemia and Bleeding -- Postoperative Jaundice -- Postoperative Stroke and Seizures -- Postoperative Delirium -- Pain Management.
- Physician scientist's career guide 2011, Springerpt. 1. Getting started as physician-scientist. -- Beginnings -- Is a physician-scientist career right for you? -- Training as a physician-scientist -- pt. 2. Launching your career as a physician-scientist. -- Getting a job -- Appointments, tenure, promotions, and sabbaticals -- Teaching -- Administration -- Research -- pt. 3. Building your career as a physician-scientist. -- Writing -- Publishing -- Grants -- Grantsmanship -- Peer review of grant applications -- Managing your team, time, and money -- Mentorship -- Lectures and presentations -- Relations with industry -- pt. 4. Parting words of advice : putting it all together. -- Balancing research, clinical activities, and family life -- Improving the physician-scientist pathway -- Concluding remarks.
- Physician supply and demand 2006, HRSA
- Power analysis for experimental research 2002, ebraryThe conceptual underpinnings of statistical power -- Strategies for increasing statistical power -- General guidelines for conducting a power analysis -- The t-test for independent samples -- The paired t-test -- One-way between subjects analysis of variance -- One-way between subjects analysis of covariance -- One-way repeated measures analysis of variance -- Interaction effects for factorial analysis of variance -- Power analysis for more complex designs -- Other power analytic issues and resources for addressing them.
- Practical guide to the care of the medical patient. 8th ed. 2011, MD Consult
- Preparing and delivering scientific presentations 2011, SpringerTo speak or not to speak? : questions you should ask yourself before agreeing to do a talk in English -- Preparing a talk -- Useful language for scientific presentations -- Common mistakes in language usage -- Delivering a talk -- The dreaded questions and comments section -- Chairing a session -- Attending an international scientific congress -- Conversation survival guide -- Improving your pronunciation.
- Primary care English 2007, Springer
- Principles and practice of hospital medicine 2012, AccessMedicineThe goal of the book is provide trainees, junior and senior clinicians, and other professionals with a comprehensive resource that they can use to improve care processes and performance in the hospitals that serve their communities. Includes case studies.
- Principles of medical biology v. 2-15, 1995-2004., ScienceDirect
- Problems of High Altitude Medicine and Biology 2007, Springer
- Signs and symptoms -- Selected signs and symptoms -- Potential agents of bioterrorism -- Common signs and symptoms associated with herbs -- Obtaining a health history -- Guide to laboratory test results.
- Signs & symptoms (A-Z) -- Appendices -- Selected signs & symptoms -- Potential agents of bioterrorism -- Adverse effects associated with herbs -- Obtaining a health history -- Guide to laboratory test results.
- Psychological impact of acute and chronic illness 2007, Springer
- PubMed help NCBI BookshelfPubMed quick start -- Searching PubMed -- Understanding your search results -- Displaying and sorting your search results -- Changing how search results are displayed -- Finding related resources for a citation -- Viewing your search history -- Displaying the search details -- Printing citations -- Saving and e-mailing results and searches -- My NCBI.
- Quick AccessMedicine 2011, AccessMedicine
- Quick answers to medical diagnosis and therapy (AccessMedicine) 2011, AccessMedicine
- Randomized clinical trials of nonpharmacological treatments 2012, CRCnetBASE"Nonpharmacological treatments include a wide variety of treatments such as surgery, technical procedures, implantable devices, nonimplantable devices, rehabilitation, psychoteherapy, and behavioral interventions. This book focuses on the methods of assessing nonpharmacological treatments, highlighting specific issues and discussing all possible design of trials. It provides practical examples to underline the issues and solutions in assessing nonpharmacological treatment in trials. Arguably the first book to exclusively explore this topic, it discusses various categories of treatments from surgical procedures to psychotherapy"--Provided by publisher.
- "Comprehensive research and a highly trained workforce are essential for the improvement of health and health care both nationally and internationally. Over the past 40 years the National Research Services Award (NRSA) Program has played a large role in training the workforce responsible for dramatic advances in the understanding of various diseases and new insights that have led to more effective and targeted therapies. In spite of this program, the difficulty obtaining jobs after the postdoc period has discouraged many domestic students from pursuing graduate postdoc training. In the United States, more than 50 percent of the postdoc workforce is made up of individuals who obtained their Ph. D.s from other countries. Indeed, one can make a strong argument that the influx of highly trained and creative foreigners has contributed greatly to U.S. science over the past 70 years. Research Training in the Biomedical, Behavioral, and Clinical Research Sciences discusses a number of important issues, including: the job prospects for postdocs completing their training; questions about the continued supply of international postdocs in an increasingly competitive world; the need for equal, excellent training for all graduate students who receive NIH funding; and the need to increase the diversity of trainees. The book recommends improvements in minority recruiting, more rigorous and extensive training in the responsible conduct of research and ethics, increased emphasis on career development, more attention to outcomes, and the requirement for incorporating more quantitative thinking in the biomedical curriculum."--Publisher's description.
- Sex and gender aspects in clinical medicine 2012, Springer
- Statistical evidence in medical trials 2006, MyiLibraryApples or oranges? -- selection of the control group -- Who was left out? exclusions, refusals, and drop-outs -- Mountain or molehill? the clinical importance of the results -- What do the other witnesses say? corroborating vidence -- Do the pieces fit together? systematic overviews and meta-analysis -- What do all these numbers mean? -- Where is the evidence? searching for information.
- Systems biomedicine 2010, ScienceDirect
- Taylor's Diagnostic and therapeutic challenges 2005, Springer
- Toward precision medicine 2011, NCBI Bookshelf"Motivated by the explosion of molecular data on humans-particularly data associated with individual patients-and the sense that there are large, as-yet-untapped opportunities to use this data to improve health outcomes, Toward precision medicine explores the feasibility and need for "a new taxonomy of human disease based on molecular biology" and develops a potential framework for creating one. The book says that a new data network that integrates emerging research on the molecular makeup of diseases with clinical data on individual patients could drive the development of a more accurate classification of diseases and ultimately enhance diagnosis and treatment. The "new taxonomy" that emerges would define diseases by their underlying molecular causes and other factors in addition to their traditional physical signs and symptoms. The book adds that the new data network could also improve biomedical research by enabling scientists to access patients' information during treatment while still protecting their rights. This would allow the marriage of molecular research and clinical data at the point of care, as opposed to research information continuing to reside primarily in academia. Toward precision medicine notes that moving toward individualized medicine requires that researchers and health care providers have access to very large sets of health- and disease-related data linked to individual patients. These data are also critical for developing the information commons, the knowledge network of disease, and ultimately the new taxonomy."--Publisher's description.
- Translational medicine 2013, Karger
- Ultimate guide to choosing a medical specialty. 3rd ed. 2013, AccessMedicineOnline 3rd edition inlcudes only selected chapters as of 1/10/2014.
- Understanding medical education. 1st ed. 2010, ebraryLane Catalog record ebraryUnderstanding Medical Education originated as a series of monographs in September 2006, the brainchild of Association of Medical Education's then Chief Executive, Frank Smith. The series was designed to meet the needs of all newcomers to medical education. Contributors have included experts from all walks of medical education from across the world. These monographs which have now been collected into a single core textbook, provide a comprehensive guide to the theoretical and academic bases to modern medical education practice--from notes provided by publisher.
- UpToDate UpToDate (Firm), iPhone/iPad apps for institutional customers are under development 1-27-2012UpToDate is a web-based, clinical information resource, designed to provide concise, practical answers to clinical questions. The content is updated quarterly. Nearly 3,000 author physicians continually review the literature for material that is well supported by data and would be useful in a clinical setting. If a medical finding is deemed important, it is then added to the relevant topic review(s) after approval by an internal peer review and by the authors. The content is comprehensive, concise, and fully referenced.
- Validating medical packaging 2003, CRCnetBASE
- When law and medicine meet 2007, Springer
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
Shortcut for iPhone
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
Can't find it?
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases