Books by Subject
Laboratory Animal Science
- Advanced protocols for animal transgenesis 2011, SpringerPatent and licensing issues in transgenic technology /Karen S. Canady --Global resources : including gene trapped ES cell clones -- is your gene already knocked out /Lluis Montoliu --Designing transgenes for optimal expression /Eduardo Molto, Cristina Vicente-Garcıa, and Lluis Montoliu --Gene targeting vector design for embryonic stem cell modifications /Thomas L. Saunders --Transgenic production benchmarks /Thomas J. Fielder and Lluis Montoliu --Generation of transgenic mice by pronuclear microinjection /Katja Becker and Boris Jerchow --Generation of transgenic rats using microinjection of plasmid DNA or lentiviral vectors /Severine Menoret ... [et al.] --Generation of transgenic animals by use of YACs /Almudena Fernandez, Diego Munoz, and Lluis Montoliu --BAC transgenes, DNA purification, and transgenic mouse production /Michael G. Zeidler, Margaret L. Van Keuren, and Thomas L. Saunders --Generation of transgenic animals with lentiviral vectors /Carlos Lois --Vertebrate transgenesis by transposition /Aron Geurts, Darius Balciunas, and Lajos Mates --Rat spermatogonial stem cell-mediated gene transfer /Karen M. Chapman ... [et al.] --Mouse cloning by nuclear transfer /Sayaka Wakayama, Nguyen Van Thuan, and Teruhiko Wakayama --Gene targeting in embryonic stem cells /Elizabeth D. Hughes and Thomas L. Saunders --Importance of mouse ES cell line selection /Wojtek Auerbach and Anna B. Auerbach --Tetraploid complementation assay /Marina Gertsenstein --Combining ES cells with embryos /Elizabeth Williams ... [et al.] --Derivation of murine ES cell lines /Kristina Nagy and Jennifer Nichols --Rat embryonic stem cell derivation and propagation /Ping Li ... [et al.] --Induced pluripotency : generation of iPS cells from mouse embryonic fibroblasts /Han Li ... [et al.] --Preparation and analysis of DNA for use in transgenic technology /Anna B. Auerbach, Peter J. Romanienko, and Willie H. Mark --Colony management /Karen Brennan --Cryopreservation /B. Pintado and J. Hourcade --Shipment of mice and embryos /Shirley Pease --Pathogen-free mouse rederivation by IVF, natural mating and hysterectomy /J.M. Sztein, R.J. Kastenmayer, and K.A. Perdue --Refinement, reduction, and replacement /Jan Parker-Thornburg.
- Animal hematotoxicology 2008, CRCnetBASEHemopoiesis, blood cell types, and bone marrow examination -- Erythrocytes, anemias, and polycythemia -- Additional erythrocytic measurements -- Iron, associated proteins, and vitamins -- Leukocytes -- Immunotoxicology -- Hemostasis -- Pre-analytical variables -- Analytical variables and biosafety -- Data processing and interpretation.
- Animal models for the study of human disease. 1st ed. 2013, ScienceDirectAnimal Models for the Study of Human Disease identifies important animal models and assesses the advantages and disadvantages of each model for the study of human disease. The first section addresses how to locate resources, animal alternatives, animal ethics and related issues, much needed information for researchers across the biological sciences and biomedicine.The next sections of the work offers models for disease-oriented topics, including cardiac and pulmonary diseases, aging, infectious diseases, obesity, diabetes, neurological diseases, joint diseases, visual disorders, canc
- Animal models in cardiovascular research. 3rd ed. 2009, SpringerGeneral principles of animal selection and normal physiological values -- Preanesthesia, anesthesia, chemical restraint, and the recognition and treatment of pain and distress -- Normal cardiac function parameters -- Measuring cardiac function -- Measuring vascular function and ventricular/arterial coupling dynamics -- Isolated heart preparations, problems, and pitfalls -- Cardiovascular effects of anesthetics, sedatives, postoperative analgesic agents, and other pharmaceuticals -- Naturally occurring and iatrogenic animal models of valvular, infectious, and arrhythmic cardiovascular disease -- Iatrogenic models of ischemic heart disease -- Iatrogenic, transgenic, and naturally occurring models of cardiomyopathy and heart failure -- Iatrogenic, congenic, and transgenic models of hypertension -- Naturally occurring, iatrogenic and transgenic models of atherosclerotic disease -- Animal models for the study of neurohumeral and central neural control of the cardiovascular system -- Other transgenic animal models used in cardiovascular studies
- Animal models in toxicology. 2nd ed. 2007, CRCnetBASEThe mouse -- The rat -- The hamster -- The guinea pig -- The rabbit -- The ferret -- The dog -- Primates -- The minipig -- Alternative species / Shayne C. Gad -- Clinical pathology of laboratory animals / Robert L. Hall -- Model selection and scaling / Shayne C. Gad -- Susceptibility factors / Shayne C. Gad -- Laws and regulations governing animal care and use in research / Shayne C. Gad.
- Animal welfare 2008, Springer
- Atlas of the neonatal rat brain 2011, CRCnetBASE
- Comparative biology of aging 2010, Springer
- Diplomacy, funding and animal welfare 2011, SpringerDiplomatic theory and practice -- International funding for animal protection -- International conferences and delegation management -- The media as a tool for diplomacy -- Important associations and international organizations -- Epilogue
- Genetically engineered mice handbook 2006, CRCnetBASE
- "Incorporates new scientific information on common laboratory animals, including aquatic species, and includes extensive references. Provides a framework for the judgments required in the management of animal facilities. This updated and expanded resource of proven value will be important to scientists and researchers, veterinarians, animal care personnel, facilities managers, institutional administrators, policy makers involved in research issues, and animal welfare advocates."--Publisher's description (excerpt).
- Handbook of laboratory animal science. 2nd ed. v. 1-3, 2003-05., CRCnetBASEv. 2, 2003 CRCnetBASEv. 3, 2005 CRCnetBASEv. 1. Essential principles and practices -- v. 2-3. Animal models.
- Handbook of laboratory animal science. 3rd ed. 2011, CRCnetBASEv. 1. Essential principles and practices. -- v. 2. Animal models.
- Humanized mice 2008, SpringerBasic Concept of Development and Practical Application of Animal Models for Human Diseases / Tatsuji Nomura, N. Tamaoki, A. Takakura and H. Suemizu, p. 25-51-- Humanized SCID Mouse Models for Biomedical Research / T. Pearson, D. L. Greiner and L. D. Shultz, p. 53-76 -- NOD/Shi-scid IL2rγnull (NOG) Mice More Appropriate for Humanized Mouse Models / M. Ito, K. Kobayashi and T. Nakahata, p. 77-86 -- Humanizing Bone Marrow in Immune-Deficient Mice / K. Ando, Y. Muguruma and T. Yahata, p. 87-94 -- The Differentiative and Regenerative Properties of Human Hematopoietic Stem/Progenitor cells in NOD-SCID/IL2rγnull Mice / F. Ishikawa, Y. Saito, S. Yoshida, M. Harada and L. D. Shultz, p. 95-107 -- Antigen-Specific Antibody Production of Human B Cells in NOG Mice Reconstituted with the Human Immune System / M. Ito, M. Shiina, Y. Saito, Y. Tokuda and Y. Kametani, et al., p. 109-124 -- Humanized Immune System (HIS) Mice as a Tool to Study Human NK Cell Development / N. D. Huntington and J. P. Di Santo, p. 125-131 -- Human T Cell Development and HIV Infection in Human Hemato-Lymphoid System Mice / S. Baenziger, P. Ziegler, L. Mazzucchelli, L. Bronz and R. F. Speck, et al., p. 133-148 -- Humanized Mice for Human Retrovirus Infection / Y. Koyanagi, Y. Tanaka, M. Ito and N. Yamamoto, p. 149-165 -- Functional and Phenotypic Characterization of the Humanized BLT Mouse Model / A. K. Wege, M. W. Melkus, P. W. Denton, J. D. Estes and J. V. Garcia, p. 167-177 -- Novel Metastasis Models of Human Cancer in NOG Mice / M. Nakamura and H. Suemizu, p. 179-196 -- In Vivo Imaging in Humanized Mice / H. Masuda, H. J. Okano, T. Maruyama, Y. Yoshimura and H. Okano, et al.
- Laboratory animal anaesthesia. 3rd ed. 2009, ScienceDirectPreparing for anaesthesia -- Anaesthesia -- Anaesthetic management -- Special techniques -- Analgesia and post-operative care -- Anaesthesia of common laboratory species : special considerations.
- Laboratory animal medicine. 2nd ed. 2002, ScienceDirect
- Laboratory fish 2000, ScienceDirect
- Laboratory mouse 2001, CRCnetBASE
- Laboratory mouse. 2nd ed. 2012, ScienceDirect
- Laboratory nonhuman primate 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Laboratory primate 2005, ScienceDirect
- Laboratory rabbit, guinea pig, hamster, and other rodents. 1st ed. 2012, ScienceDirectGeneral: Ethical considerations and regulatory issues / Marilyn J. Brown and Kathleen L. Smiler ; Anesthesia and analgesia / Patrick A. Lester ; Rashida M. Moore, Katherine A. Shuster, and Daniel D. Myers ; Clinical biochemistry and hematology / Ida M. Washington and Gerald Van Hoosier ; Euthanasia and necropsy / Mihai Gagea-Iurascu and Suzanne Craig ; Zoonoses and occupational health / David W. Brammer --Rabbits: The domestic rabbit, 'Oryctolagus cuniculus': origins and history / Katherine A. Naff and Suzanne Craig ; Rabbit genetics and transgenic models / Neil D. Christensen and Xuwen Peng ; Anatomy, physiology, and behavior / Joanne Soon and Marcelo A. Cato ; Rabbit colony management and related health concerns / Robert H. Quinn ; Basic experimental methods in the rabbit / Cynthia A. Pekoe ; antibody production / Harold F. Stills / Toxicity and safety testing / Debra Kirchner and Susan Hen wood ; Bacterial diseases / David De long ; Viral diseases / Thea Babb and Ronald F. Di Giacomo ; Parasitic diseases / Stacy Pritt, Kimberley Cohen, and Heather Sedlacek ; Rabbit neoplasia / Peggy T. Tinkey, Rajesh K. Uthamanthil, and Steven H. Weisbroth ; Mycoses and non-infectious diseases / Kristie Brock, Laura Gallaugher, Valerie K. Bergdall, and Robert C. Dysko ; The rabbit as an experimental model / Tanya H. Burkholder, Garry Linton, Robert F. Hoyt, Jr., and Richard Young --Guinea pigs: Taxonomy and history / Stacy Pritt ; Anatomy, physiology, and behavior / Maureen Hargaden and Laura Singer ; Management, husbandry, and colony health / Vincent C. Gresham and Vicky L. Haines ; Basic experimental methods / Richard B. Huneke ; Infectious diseases / Thea Brabb, Denise Newsome, Andrew Burich, and Martha Hanes ; Non-infectious diseases / Bruce H. Williams ; Guinea pigs as experimental models / Douglas K. Taylor and Vanessa K. Lee --Hamsters: Taxonomy and history / Gerald D. Smith ; Anatomy, physiology, and behavior / Kathleen A. Murray ; Management, husbandry, and colony health / Guy B. Mulder ; Biomedical research techniques / Jerald Silverman ; Bacterial and fungal diseases / Craig S. Frisk ; Viral diseases / Amy Cassano, Skye Rasmussen, and Felix R. Wolf ; Parasitic diseases / Holly N. Burr, Lee-Ronn Paluch, Gordon S. Roble, and Neil S. Lipman ; Non-infectious diseases / Brian Karolewski, Thomas W. Mayer, and Gaye Ruble ; The experimental use of hamsters / Helen Valentine, Erin K. Daugherity, Bhupinder Singh, and Kirk J. Maurer ; The Chinese or striped-back hamster / William P. Feeney ; The European hamster / Judy Fenyk-Melody ; Other hamsters / Beth A. Bauer and Cynthia Besch-Williford --Chinchillas: Taxonomy and history / Brent J. Martin ; Anatomy, physiology, and behavior / Leanne C. Alworth and Stephen B. Harvey ; Management, husbandry, and colony health / Stephen I. Levin, Diana M.P. Berger, and Tracy L. Gluckman ; Basic experimental methods / Charlie C. Hsu, Jeleen A. Briscoe, and Angela B. Keffer ; Diseases and veterinary care / John N. Norton and Randall P. Reynolds ; Chinchillas as experimental models / Lisa Martin --Other rodents: Degu / Lesley A. Colby, Howard G. Rush, Megan M. Mahoney and Teresa M. Lee ; Naked mole rat / Rochelle Buffenstein, Thomas Park, Martha Hanes, and James E. Artwohl ; Deer mice, white-footed mice, and their relatives / Peter C. Smith ; Jodi A. Carlson Scholz, and Steven R. Wilson ; Dormouse / John P. Long and Cheri L. West ; Kangaroo Rat / Denise M. Newsom and Gerald L. Van Hoosier, Jr. ; Cotton rat / Joseph F. Curlee and Dale M. Cooper ; Pocket gopher / M. Susan Devries ; White-tailed rat / Beth A. Bauer and Cynthia L. Besch-Williford ; Gerbils / Margaret Batchelder, Lynn S. Keller, Mary Ball Sauer, and Wanda L. West ; Egyptian fat-tailed jird / Stephen A. Felt, Nancy L. Merrill, Fady I. Guirguis, and Hussein I. Hussein ; Sand rat / Rony Kalman, Ehud Ziv, Galila Lazarovici, and Eleazar Shafrir --Formulary and normative values: Formulary / Sean Maguire and C. Terrance Hawk ; Normative values / Jolaine M. Wilson, Diane J. Gaertner, James O. Marx, and F. Claire Hankenson.
- Laboratory rat. 2nd ed. 2013, CRCnetBASEImportant biological features -- Husbandry -- Management -- Veterinary care -- Experimental methodology.
- Laboratory rat. 2nd ed. 2006, ScienceDirectHistorical foundations / J. Russell Lindsey and Henry J. Baker -- Ethical and legal perspectives / Beverly J. Gnadt -- Taxonomy and stocks and strains / Hans J. Hedrich -- Morphophysiology / John Hofstetter, Mark A. Suckow, and Debra L. Hickman -- Clinical pathology of the rat / Bruce D. Car ... [et al.] -- Reproduction and breeding / Jeffrey J. Lohmiller and Sonya P. Swing -- Assisted reproductive technologies and genetic modifications in rats / Yuksel Agca and John K. Critser -- Analysis of behavior in laboratory rats / Ian Q. Whishaw ... [et al.] -- Nutrition / Sherry M. Lewis ... [et al.] -- Housing and environment / Robert E. Faith and Jack R. Hessler -- Bacterial, mycoplasmal and mycotic infections / Steven H. Weisbroth, Dannis F. Kohn, and Ron Boot -- Viral disease / Robert O. Jacoby and Diane J. Gaertner -- Parasitic diseases / David G. Baker -- Neoplastic disease / Gary A. Boorman and Jeffrey I. Everitt -- Metabolic, traumatic, and miscellaneous diseases / William W. King and Steven P. Russell --Medical management and diagnostic approaches / Glen Otto and Craig L. Franklin -- Occupational health and safety / Sanford H. Feldman and David N. Easton -- Experimental modeling and research methodology / Michael A. Koch -- Anesthesia and analgesia / George A. Vogler -- Euthanasia and necropsy / Jeffrey I. Everitt and Elizabeth A. Gross -- Integrating biology with rat genomic tools / Carol Moreno-Quinn and Howard J. Jacob -- Gnotobiotics / Philip b. Carter and Henry L. Foster -- Spontaneous, surgically and chemically induced models of disease / Dwight R. Owens -- The nude rat / Martha A. Hanes -- Gerontology and age-associated lesions / Nancy L. Nadon -- Cardiovascular research / Peter G. Anderson, Sanford P. Bishop, and J. Thomas Peterson -- Toxicology / Thomas E. Hamm, Mary Ann Vasbinder, and Angela King-Herbert -- Embryology and teratology / Carol Erb -- Immunology / Veronica Jennings and Dirck Dillehay -- Wild and black rats / Marc Hulin and Robert Quinn.
- Management of laboratory animal care and use programs 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Managing the laboratory animal facility 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Managing the laboratory animal facility. 2nd ed. 2009, CRCnetBASEThe basics of managing a laboratory animal facility -- The organizational environment -- The management of human resources -- Managing financial resources -- Management of information resources -- Time management -- Leadership.
- Mouse as a model organism 2011, Springer
- Mouse behavioral testing. 1st ed. 2011, ScienceDirectChapter 1. Introduction to the Research Process -- Chapter 2. Mice -- Chapter 3. Tests of Mouse Behavior -- Chapter 4. Designs -- Chapter 5. Sample Size -- Chapter 6. Ethics Approval -- Chapter 7. Logistics -- Chapter 8. Getting Ready for Testing -- Chapter 9. Prelude to Data Analysis -- Chapter 10. Domains and Test Batteries -- Chapter 11. Motivating Mice -- Chapter 12. Qualities of Behavioral Tests -- Chapter 13. Task Refinement and Standardization -- Chapter 14. Video Tracking -- Chapter 15. The Laboratory Environment.
- Mouse development 2002, ScienceDirect
- Swine in the laboratory. 2nd ed. 2007, CRCnetBASEBiology, handling, husbandry, and anatomy -- Anesthesia, analgesia, and perioperative care -- Wound closure and integument -- Gastrointestinal procedures --Liver and biliary system -- Pancreas and spleen -- Urinary system and adrenal glands -- The reproductive system -- Cardiothoracic and vascular surgery/chronic intravascular catheterization -- Head and neck surgery/central nervous system -- Musculoskeletal system and orthopedic procedures -- Cardiovascular catheterization, electrophysiology, and imaging laboratory procedures -- Endoscopic, laparoscopic, and minimally invasive surgery -- Xenotransplantation and transgenic technologies --Toxicology -- Radiobiology -- Imaging techniques: CT, MRI, and PET scanning -- Ossabaw Island miniature swine: cardiometabolic syndrome assessment.
- Transgenic mouse methods and protocols Springer Protocols
- Transgenic mouse methods and protocols. 2nd ed. 2011, Springer ProtocolsIntroduction: strategies for developing genetically modified mice / Marten H. Hofker -- Genetic modification of the mouse: general technology - pronuclear and blastocyst injection / Jan Willem Voncken -- Generation of chimeras by aggregation of embryonic stem cells with diploid or tetraploid mouse embryos / Jérôme Artus and Anna-Katerina Hadjantonakis -- Cryopreservation of mouse spermatozoa and in vitro fertilization / Naomi Nakagata -- Autopsy and histological analysis of the transgenic mouse / Marion J.J. Gijbels and Menno P.J. de Winther -- Transgene design / Bart van de Sluis and Jan Willem Voncken -- Inducible transgenic mouse models / Thomas L. Saunders -- Lentiviral transgenesis / Terunaga Nakagawa and Casper C. Hoogenraad -- Transgenesis in mouse embryonic stem cells / Janine van Ree, Wei Zhou, Ming Li, and Jan M. van Deursen -- Engineering BAC reporter gene constructs for mouse transgenesis / Yu Fu and Peter Maye -- Targeting vector construction through recombineering / Liviu A. Malureanu -- Generating conditional knockout mice / Roland H. Friedel, Wolfgang Wurst, Benedikt Wefers, and Ralf Kühm -- Hypomorphic mice / Darren J. Baker -- MICER targeting vectors for manipulating the mouse genome / Chunbong Liu, Paul F. Szurek, and Y. Eugene Yu -- Knock-in approaches / Anton J.M. Roebroek, Philip L.S.M. Gordts, and Sara Reekmans -- Generation of a series of knock-in alleles using RMCE in ES cells / Anton J.M. Roebroek, Philip L.S.M. Gordts, and Sara Reekmans -- Selection of targeting mutants from a library of randomly mutagenized ES cells / Kyoji Horie, George Gaitanaris, and Alexander Gragerov -- Generation of genetically modified rodents using random ENU mutagenesis / Ruben van Boxtel and Edwin Cuppen -- Bone marrow transplantations of study gene function in hematopoietic cells / Menno P.J. de Winther and Peter Heeringa -- Adenovirus-mediated gene transfer / Ko Willems van Dijk, Kyriakos E. Kyreos, Frits J. Fallaux, and Jurre Hageman.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
Shortcut for iPhone
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
Can't find it?
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Editor: Jianfang, Zhang
Translated & Donated by Muoi Arnold and Keith Arnold former Stanford faculty