Books by Subject
History of Medicine
- Advice to the healer. 2nd ed. 2013, SpringerPart I. Inspirational Perspectives from History -- -- Introduction -- Ancient times -- Chinese and medieval medicine -- The twentieth century -- Modern masters -- -- Part II. Practical Advice for the Modern-Day Healer -- -- Survival tips for the younger clinician -- Civility -- Lessons learned from private practice -- A doctor's journal -- Heal thyself -- The healer.
- Anatomy of addiction. 1st ed. 2011, Click LINK above for location/circulation status.The astonishing account of the decades-long cocaine use of Sigmund Freud and William Halsted. The author discusses the physical and emotional damage caused by the constant use of the then-heralded wonder drug, and of how each man ultimately changed the world in spite of it--or because of it.
- Bitter nemesis 2008, CRCnetBASE
- Brief history of cocaine. 2nd ed. 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Bugs, drugs, & smoke 2011, WHOSmallpox : eradicating an ancient scourge -- Oral rehydration salts : a miracle cure -- Mental health : unlocking the asylum doors -- The tobacco trap : fighting back -- AIDS : fear, stigma, and hope -- Tuberculosis : complacency kills -- Outbreak : the world's emergency room.
- Century of Mendelism in human genetics 2004, CRCnetBASEThe First Fifty Years of Mendelism -- 1. The Introduction of Mendelism into Human Genetics / Milo Keynes -- 2. Galton's Theory of Ancestral Inheritance / Michael Bulmer -- 3. The Reception of Mendelism by the Biometricians and the Early Mendelians (1899-1909) / Eileen Magnello -- 4. Mendelism and Man 1918-1939 / A.W.F. Edwards -- 5. William Bateson, Archibald Garrod and the Nature of the
- Cholesterol, atherosclerosis and coronary disease in the UK, 1950-2000 2006, Wellcome Trust
- Computer medical databases 2012, Springer
- Cystic fibrosis 2004, Wellcome Trust
- Dawn and evolution of cardiac procedures 2013, SpringerPart 1.Research on Cardiac Surgery and Right Cardiac Catheterization before the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass --1.The Discovery of Blood Circulation /Yves Glock --2.The History of Surgical Research /Marco Picichè --3.The Ignored Birth of Cardiac Surgery: The History of the Surgical Treatment of Heart Wounds and Pericardial Effusions /Vladimir Saplacan, Fabio Cuttone and Massimo Massetti --4.The History of Pulmonary Embolectomy Before the Advent of CPB /Marco Vola and Jean-Francois Fuzellier --5.Right Cardiac Catheterization Before the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Achille Gaspardone and Giulio G. Stefanini --6.The History of Mitral and Tricuspid Valve Surgery Before the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Luigi Chiariello, Paolo Nardi and Giovanni Alfonso Chiariello --7.Surgery of the Aortic Valve Before the Era of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Y. Glock --8.The History of Myocardial Revascularization Before the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Marco Picichè --9.The History of Experimental Heterotopic and Orthotopic Heart Transplantation Before Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Tyson A. Fricke and Igor E. Konstantinov --10.The History of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Before the Introduction of Extracorporeal Circulation /Alessandro Frigiola --Part 2.Research on the Cardiopulmonary Bypass Machine --11.On the Path to Cardiopulmonary Bypass: From Le Gallois' Experiments to Brukhonenko's Machine /Matthew S. Yong, Stephen B. Horton and Igor E. Konstantinov --12.Research on Cardiopulmonary Bypass in North America /Manon Caouette --13.From Research on Hibernation and Hypothermia to Recent Advances in Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Isabelle Plamondon and Edoardo Gasparotto --14.Cardiac Anaesthesia /Fabio Guarracino and Rubia Baldassarri -- Part 3.Research on Interventional Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery after the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass --15.The History of Research on Coronary Angiography and Coronary Angioplasty /Luigi La Vecchia --16.Right Cardiac Catheterization After the Advent of Cpb /Achille Gaspardone and Giuilo G. Stefanini --17.The History of Research on Coronary Stenting /Fabrizio Tomai and Leonardo De Luca --18.The History of Percutaneous Valvuloplasty /Alessandro Fontanelli --19.Percutaneous Closure of Atrial and Ventricular Septal Defects /Achille Gaspardone and Giulio G. Stefanini --20.Evolution of Homografts and Prosthetic Heart Valves /Marco Picichè --21.The History of Research on Mitral, Tricuspid, and Aortic Valve Repair After the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Ruggero De Paulis, Andrea Salica, Raffaele Scaffa and Luca Weltert --22.History of Research on Myocardial Protection /Victor S. Costache, Cristian Martu, Nicolas Chavanis, Jean Philippe Frieh and Serban Stoica --23.Supra-Diaphragmatic Aortic Surgery: Evolution of Material, Techniques and Brain Protection /François Dagenais --24.Surgical Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation /Gino Gerosa, Carlo Dal Lin and Vincenzo Tarzia --25.Catheter Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation /Alessio Marinelli and Domenico Corrado --26.The History of Cardiac Pacemakers and Defibrillators /Serge Boveda, Stéphane Garrigue and Philippe Ritter --27.The History of Surgery for Ischemic Heart Disease and Mechanical Complications of Myocardial Infarction After the Advent of CPB /Roland G. Demaria and Mohammed Al Yamani --28.Progress and Milestones in the Treatment of Deep Sternal Wound Infections /Richard Baillot and Daniel Cloutier --29.Engineering for IABP and ECMO /Roberto Lorusso, Attilio Renzulli and Sandro Gelsomino --30.The History of Research on Ventricular Assist Devices and Total Artificial Heart /Luc M. Jacquet --31.The History of Research on Adult and Paediatric Heart Transplantation /Johann U. Brink and Yves d'Udekem --32.The History of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery After the Advent of Cardiopulmonary Bypass /Jean E. Rubay --33.Minimally Invasive and Robotic Cardiac Surgery /Loris Salvador --34.The History of Research on Percutaneous, Transapical, and Sutureless Aortic Valve Replacement /Thierry Aymard and Thierry Carrel. --35.Erratum to: The History of Research on Percutaneous, Transapical, and Sutureless Aortic Valve Replacement /Thierry Aymard and Thierry Carrel.
- Discovery, use and impact of platinum salts as chemotherapy agents for cancer 2007, Wellcome Trust
- Early development of total hip replacement 2006, Wellcome Trust
- Environmental toxicology 2004, Wellcome Trust
- Epidemiological odyssey 2012, Springer1.Early Concepts of Communicability --2.Infection on the Move --3.The Impact of Cholera --4.Stiffening the Sinews --5.Dawn and Sunset --6.A Need for Damage Limitation --7.No Lasting Stability --8.Tailpiece.
- Festschrift the Institute of Nuclear Medicine, 50 years 2012, Springer
- Following Charcot 2011, KargerBirth of modern psychiatry and the death of alienism : the legacy of Jean-Martin Charcot / Bogousslavsky, J.; Moulin, T. -- Jean-Martin Charcot's house officers at la Salpêtrière Hospital / Walusinski, O. -- The chair of mental and brain diseases : Charcot's pupils--Benjamin Ball, Alix Joffroy, and Gilbert Ballet / Tiberghien, D. -- Édouard Brissaud, Fulgence Raymond and the succession of Charcot / Tatu, L. -- Great careers : Cornil, Bouchard, Bourneville, and Proust / Paciaroni, M.; Cittadini, E.; Bogousslavsky, J. -- Keeping the fire burning : Georges Gilles de la Tourette, Paul Richer, Charles Féré, and Alfred Binet / Walusinski, O. -- Renewing the fire : Joseph Babinski / Poirier, J.; Philippon, J. -- Paul Sollier : the first clinical neuropsychologist / Bogousslavsky, J.; Walusinski, O. -- Pierre Janet, Sigmund Freud, and Charcot's psychological and psychiatric legacy / Pérez-Rincón, H. -- Jules Bernard Luys in Charcot's penumbra / Parent, M.; Parent, A. -- Hysteria after Charcot : back to the future / Bogousslavsky, J. -- Jules Joseph Déjerine versus Pierre Marie / Paciaroni, M.; Bogousslavsky, J. -- Neurology outside Paris following Charcot / Moulin, T. ... [et al.] -- Birth and death of Charcot's scientific journals / Poirier, J.; Ricou, P.; Leroux-Hugon, V.
- Foot and mouth disease 2003, Wellcome Trust
- Forgotten cure 2012, Springer1. Helpful Little Bodies -- 2. Inside Stalin's Empire -- 3. The Fading of Phage Therapy -- 4. Naked Genes -- 5. 'They're Not a Panacea:' Phage Therapy in the Soviet Union and Georgia -- 6. In Poland: Phages for Diabetes? -- 7. The Renaissance of Phage Therapy -- 8. The Startups -- 9. Four Companies, Four Strategies -- 10. Cows and Chickens -- 11. Approval, At Last -- 12. In Treatment.
- Freud on interpretation 2012, Springer"In its early days, some saw psychology as a substitute for religion. Others regarded it as a new religion in its own right. What was less obvious to most observers--and far less obvious today--were the roots of Freud's work in the ancient mystical teachings of the Middle East. A unique analysis, Freud on Interpretation examines the inner workings of his thought process and the rich mine of knowledge that led him toward his theories and therapies. In the beliefs of ancient Egypt, with its sexually ambiguous dieties, and ancient Israel, with its Biblical accounts of madness and feigned madness, are found surprising sources of inspiration for such core Freudian concepts as free association, dream interpretation, the psychosexual stages, the libido, and the unconscious. Psychoanalyis here is seen in its early growth stages, fed and nurtured by philosophers, scientists, and fearless mind explorers; and Freud is boldly synthesizing modes of knowledge from an age when science and superstition were rarely separate. This compelling volume: Overviews the pre-Freudian history of psychology in the writings of Herbart, Morel, and Krafft-Ebing; Probes Freud's interest in ancient Egyptian creation myths and the Kabbala, and their influence on his work; Explores the paradoxes inherent in the interpretation of the mind; Offers unique insights into the origins of the Rorschach test; Considers the real meaning behind Freud's self-identification as a determinist; Includes a listing of Freud's library of titles on ancient Egypt; Freud on Interpretation is stimulating reading for clinical psychologists and those interested in the intellectual and professional development of the master psychiatrist."--Publisher's website.
- Fuzzification of systems 2007, Springer
- Genetic testing 2003, Wellcome Trust
- History of endometriosis 2011, SpringerPrelude -- Intellectual Development of Carl Von Rokitansky -- Microscopy and the Discovery of Endometriosis and Adenomyosis -- From von Rokitansky to von Recklinghausen to Cullen -- Cullen's Research at Johns Hopkins Hospital -- Adenomyomas of Vagina, Rectum, Sigmoid Colon, and Ovary -- Distribution of Pelvic and Abdominal Adenomyomas -- Sampson's Theory of Implantation Endometriosis -- Life History of Ovarian Endometriomas -- Explication and Defense of Sampson's Theory of Pathogenesis -- Scientific Objectivity -- Epilogue.
- History of limb amputation 2007, SpringerIntroduction and sources -- Natural causes of dismemberment -- Accidental causes for amputation : auto-amputation -- Ritual, punitive, legal and iatrogenic causes -- Cold steel and gunshot causes -- Elective amputation : early evolution to the end of the 17th century -- Elective amputation : from the 18th century to 1846 -- Elective amputation : from 1846 to recent times -- Interpretations of amputation by society, patients, and surgeons -- Surgical instrumentation and equipment -- Indications, timing, and procedures -- Stumps : reattachment, management, complications, revision, and care for limb-fitting -- Artificial limbs and rehabilitation with contributions by Kingsley Robinson.
- History of psychiatry and medical psychology 2008, SpringerSection One: Prolegomenon -- Historiography: philosophy and methodology of history, with special emphasis on medicine and psychiatry; and an appendix on "historiography" as the history of history / Edwin R. Wallace, IV -- Contextualizing the history of psychiatry/psychology and psychoanalysis: annotated bibliography and essays: addenda A-F / Edwin R. Wallace, IV -- Section Two: Periods -- Mind and madness in classical antiquity / Bennett Simon -- Mental disturbances, unusual mental states, and their interpretation during the Middle Ages / George Mora -- Renaissance conceptions and treatments of madness / George Mora -- The madman in the light of reason. Enlightenment psychiatry: Part I. Custody, therapy, theory and the need for reform / Dora B. Weiner -- The madman in the light of reason. Enlightenment psychiatry: Part II. Alienists, treatises, and the psychologic approach in the era of Pinel / Dora B. Weiner -- Philippe Pinel in the twenty-first century: the myth and the message / Dora B. Weiner -- German romantic psychiatry: Part I. Earlier, including more-psychological orientations / Otto M. Marx -- German romantic psychiatry: Part II. Later, including more-somatic orientations / Otto M. Marx -- Descriptive psychiatry and psychiatric nosology during the nineteenth century / German Berrios -- Biological psychiatry in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries / John Gach -- The intersection of psychopharmacology and psychiatry in the second half of the twentieth century / David Healy --Section Three: Concepts and topics -- A history of melancholia and depression / Stanley W. Jackson -- Constructing schizophrenia as a category of mental illness / Sander L Gilman -- The concept of psychosomatic medicine / Herbert Weiner -- Neurology's influence on American psychiatry: 1865-1915 / Edward M. Brown -- The transformation of American psychiatry: from institution to community, 1800-2000 / Gerald N. Grob -- The transition to secular psychotherapy: hypnosis and the alternate-consciousness paradigm / Adam Crabtree -- Psychoanalysis in central Europe: the interplay of psychoanalysis and culture / Hannah S. Decker -- The psychoanalytic movement in the United States, 1906-1991 / Sanford Gifford -- The development of clinical psychology, social work, and psychiatric nursing: 1900-1980s / Nancy Tomes -- Epilogue: Psychiatry and the mind-body relation -- Thoughts toward a critique of biological psychiatry / John Gach -- Two "mind"-"body" models for a holistic psychiatry / Edwin R. Wallace, IV -- Freud on "mind-"body" I: the psychoneurobiological and "instinctualist" stance; with implications for chapter 24, and two postscripts / Edwin R. Wallace, IV -- Freud on "mind"-"body" II: drive, motivation, meaning, history, and Freud's psychological heuristic; with clinical and everyday examples / Edwin R. Wallace, IV -- Psychosomatic medicine and the mind-body relation: historical, philosophical, scientific, and clinical perspectives / Herbert Weiner.
- History of suicide in England, 1650-1850 SU Catalog (Searchworks), Click LINK above for location/circulation status.Pt. 1: 1650-1750 / edited by Donna T. Andrew -- Vol. 1. 1650-1673 / edited by Paul Seaver ; with a general introduction by Mark Robson.-- Vol. 2. 1674-1699 / edited by Paul Seaver.-- Vol. 3. 1700-1716 / edited by Kelly McGuire -- Vol. 4. 1717-1750 / edited by Kelly McGuire -- Pt. 2: 1750-1850 -- Vol. 5. 1750-1799: Sermons, discourses, essays and treatises / edited by Jeffrey Merrick -- Vol. 6. 1750-1799: Legal, medical, literary and miscellaneous texts, and newspapers and magazines / edited by Jeffrey Merrick -- Vol. 7. 1800-1850: Legal contexts, religious writings and medical writers / edited by Darryl Lee -- Vol. 8. 1800-1850: Medical writers (continued), statistical inquiries, social criticism, poetic and popular representations and cases / edited by Darryl Lee.
- History of the laser 2005, CRCnetBASE
- History of vaccine development 2011, Springer
- Hollywood and the rise of physical culture 2003, CRCnetBASE
- In the blink of an eye 2013, Springer1. Origins -- 2. The Art and Science of Germs -- 3. A Singular Disease -- 4. A Very Mortal Disease -- 5. Early Approaches at Therapy -- 6/ Antibiotics and Survival of the Fittest -- 7. A Brief History of Vaccines -- 8. That Soluble Specific Substance -- 9. Towards a Vaccine -- 10. Success for Half -- 11. The Future of a Killer.
- Leukaemia 2003, Wellcome Trust
- Life of Ernest Starling 2005, ScienceDirect
- Making and marketing medicine in Renaissance Florence 2011, IngentaConnectA study of the Speziale al Giglio apothecary shop in fifteenth-century Florence, Italy.
- Medicare 2000, a profile 2003., Internet Archive
- MRC applied psychology Unit 2003, Wellcome Trust"This transcript considers the origins and impact of the MRC Applied Psychology Unit's work from 1944 to 1998."
- On-line hemodiafiltration 2011, KargerHistorical milestones of a long pathway / Roy, T. -- Polysulfone : the development of a membrane for convective therapies / Heilmann, K., Keller, T. -- The machine and the therapy concept / Greenwood, R.N. -- Backfiltration : past, present and future / Rangel, A.V. ... [et al.] -- Producing on-line ultrapure dialysis fluid / von Albertini, B. -- Membrane requirements for high-flux and convective therapies / Bowry, S.K. -- Regulatory challenges of on-line hemodiafiltration / Pirovano, D. -- Facing regulatory challenges of on-line hemodiafiltration / Kümmerle, W. -- The membrane permeability outcome study / Locatelli, F. ... [et al.] -- The early years of on-line HDF : How did it all start? How did we get here? / Canaud, B. -- Evolution of the concept of biocompatibility and the cardioprotective effect of on-line hemodiafiltration / Ramírez, R., Martín-Malo, A., Aljama, P. -- On-line hemodiafiltration in the large RISCAVID study / Panichi, V., Tetta, C. -- Overcoming the limitations of post-dilution on-line hemodiafiltration : mixed dilution hemodiafiltration / Pedrini, L.A., Wiesen, G. -- Fifteen years of experience with on-line hemodiafiltration / Maduell, F. -- Adopting on-line hemodiafiltration as standard therapy in EMEA nephrocare centers / Stopper, A. ... [et al.] -- Utilization of hemodiafiltration as treatment modality in renal replacement therapy for end-stage renal disease patients : a global perspective / Sichart, J.-M., Moeller, S. -- Seeking an optimal renal replacement therapy for the chronic kidney disease epidemic : the case for on-line hemodiafiltration / Gatti, E., Ronco, C.
- Physicists of Ireland 2003, CRCnetBASEWilliam Petty 1623-1687 / by Norman D. McMillan -- Robert Boyle 1627-1691 / by D. Thorburn Burns -- William Molyneux 1656-1698 / by Patrick Wayman and Norman D. McMillan -- Nicholas Callan 1799-1864 / by Niall E. McKeith -- William Parsons, Earl of Rosse 1800-1867 / by Bob Strunz -- Humphrey Lloyd 1800-1881 / by James G. O'Hara -- Thomas Grubb 1800-1878 and Howard Grubb 1844-1931 / by Andrew Whitaker -- William Rowan Hamilton 1805-1865 / by John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson -- James MacCullagh 1809-1847 / by James G. O'Hara -- Thomas Andrews 1813-1885 / by D. Thorburn Burns -- George Gabriel Stokes 1819-1903 / by Alastair Wood -- John Tyndall 1820-1893 / by Norman D. McMillan -- Samuel Haughton 1821-1897 / by Norman D. McMillan -- William Thomson, Lord Kelvin 1824-1907 / by Mark McCartney -- George Johnstone Stoney 1826-1911 / by James G. O'Hara -- George Francis FitzGerald 1851-1901 / by John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson --John Joly 1857-1933 / by Denis Weaire and Stephen Coonan -- Joseph Larmor 1857-1942 / by Raymond Flood -- Frederick Thomas Trouton 1863-1922 / by James G. O'Hara -- John Sealy Edward Townsend 1868-1957 / by Mark McCartney -- John A. McClelland 1870-1920 / by Thomas C. O'Connor -- Erwin Schrodinger 1887-1961 / by Andrew Whitaker -- Cornelius Lanczos 1893-1974 / by Barbara Gellai -- John Synge 1897-1995 / by Petros S. Florides -- John Desmond Bernal 1901-1971 / by Roy Johnston -- Ernest Walton 1903-1995 / by Brian Cathcart -- Walter Heitler 1904-1981 / by David Glass -- Sir William McCrea 1904-1999 / by Iwan Williams -- Cormac O Ceallaigh 1912-1996 / by Mark McCartney -- David Bates 1916-1994 / by Ray Flannery -- John Stewart Bell 1928-1990 / by Andrew Whitaker -- Lochlainn O Raifeartaigh 1933-2000 / by Siddhartha Sen -- Index of names.
- Population-based research in South Wales 2002, Wellcome
- Prenatal corticosteroids for reducing morbidity and mortality after preterm birth 2005, Wellcome Trust
- Public health in the 1980s and 1990s, decline and rise? 2006, Wellcome Trust
- Quo vadis medical healing 2009, SpringerMedical healing implies knowledge of the assumptions that underlie our understanding of 'health', and, concomitantly, how we define well being and its opposites, illness and disease. Today, health, health care (business, wellness, recreation), and medicine (especially research-driven scientific medicine) have become separate entities with different institutions, budgets, marketing philosophies and 'corporate cultures'. Furthermore, healing is individual and subjective, yet at the same time also culturally determined. The present volume brings together papers on these topics in an unique interdisciplinary approach. The book provides an ethical framework for healthcare from a political perspective. It discusses definitions of the terminology of healing and health and their ethical and medical implications including their historical contexts. A separate section expands the theme of the cultural constructedness of healing by the concepts of traditional Chinese medicine and homeopathy. Modern medicine has a strong focus on acute care, which urgently needs to place greater emphasis on preventive medicine including the crucial importance of social factors on health and on the emergence of 'public health'. The point of view of Business Concepts, their potential and limitations are by no means neglected and the legal ramifications of genetic research and innovative medical strategies with regard to some of our most foundational notions are discussed.
- Recent history of platelets in thrombosis and other disorders 2005, Wellcome Trust
- Rhesus factor and disease prevention 2004, Wellcome Trust
- Secret agents 2002, NAPDisease in disguise -- Winged victories -- Food fright -- Superbugs -- The once and future pandemic -- Infection unmasked -- Bioterror.
- Short-course chemotherapy for tuberculosis 2005, Wellcome Trust
- Superbugs and superdrugs 2008, Wellcome Trust
- Thirty years of photosynthesis 2006, Springer
- Victor McKusick and the history of medical genetics 2012, SpringerVictor McKusick /; Krishna R. Dronamraju --; Family Life and Victor's Meeting the Unexpected /; Anne Bishop McKusick --; The McKusick Twins: A Personal Essay /; Vincent L. McKusick --; Personal Recollections of Victor /; Krishna R. Dronamraju --; Memories of Victor McKusick /; Don M. Long --; Memories of the Moore Clinic, 1960-1965 /; David J. Weatherall --; Cytogenetics and Early Days at the Moore Clinic with Victor McKusick /; Malcolm A. Ferguson-Smith --; Travels with Victor: Marfan Syndrome and Its Cousins /; Reed E. Pyeritz --; Homage for Victor McKusick /; Nicholas Avrion Mitchison --; How Did My Association with Victor Influence Me, My Career, and My Family? /; Digamber S. Borgaonkar --; The Assimilation of Classical Genetics into Human Genetics /; Elof Axel Carlson --; Genetic Studies in Isolated Populations: Victor McKusick's Contributions to Population Genetics /; Aravinda Chakravarti --; Victor A. McKusick and Medical Genetics Among the Amish /; Clair A. Francomano --; Dr. Victor A. McKusick and the Genetics of Dwarfism /; Clair A. Francomano and David L. Rimoin --; Clinical Genomicist in the Future of Medical Practice /; Edison T. Liu --; Victor McKusick and the History of Medical Genetics /; Peter S. Harper --; The Influence of Victor A. McKusick on the Development of Training in Medical Genetics in Europe and in the World /; Giovanni Romeo.
- Vienna 2007, Springer
- Virchow's Eulogies 2008, Springer
- White coat tales 2008, SpringerPt. 1. Heroes, diseases and remedies. Heroes in medical history -- Diseases that changed history -- Drugs and other remedies -- pt. 2. The heritage and culture of medicine. Medical words and phrases -- Whose syndrome? Stories of medical eponyms -- Medical abbreviations, acronyms, euphemisms, jargon, and slang -- Medical aphorisms -- Memorable medical quotations -- pt. 3. Clinical notes and medical misadventures. Famous persons as patients -- Misadventures: myths, misinformation, blunders, and wrongdoing -- Now and future practice.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
Shortcut for iPhone
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
Can't find it?
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Authors: Adrian M.K. Thomas, Arpan K. Banerjee