Books by Subject
GeriatricsAccess restricted to Stanford unless otherwise noted
- Advances in natural medicines, nutraceuticals and neurocognition 2013, CRCnetBASEPt. 1. Methodologies to measure cognition in natural medicine trials -- pt. 2. Vitamins and nutrients -- pt. 3. Essential fatty acids and neurocognition -- pt. 4. Herbal medicines, nutraceuticals and neurocognition.
- Age-related macular degeneration. 2nd ed. 2013, Springerpt. 1.Pathophysiology.Epidemiology of AMD /L. Ho, R. van Leeuwen, P. T. V. M. de Jong, J. R. Vingerling and C. C. W. Klaver --Genetics /L. G. Fritsche, U. Friedrich and B. H. F. Wxeber --Ageing of the Retina and Retinal Pigment Epithelium /M. E. Boulton --The Complement System in AMD /P. Charbel Issa, N. V. Chong and H. P. N. Scholl --Histopathology /A. Lommatzsch, S. Wasmuth, D. Pauleikhoff, F. G. Holz and A. C. Bird --pt. 2.Clinical Manifestations.Early AMD /M. Dietzel, D. Pauleikhoff, F. G. Holz and A. C. Bird --Clinical Manifestations of Choroidal Neovascularization in AMD /R. F. Spaide --Geographic Atrophy /M. Fleckenstein, S. Schmitz-Valckenberg, J. S. Sunness and F. G. Holz --pt. 3.Diagnostics.Fundus Imaging of AMD /R. F. Spaide --Optical Coherence Tomography /S. Wolf --Microperimetry /E. Midena and E. Pilotto --pt. 4.Prophylaxis and Therapy.Nutritional Supplementation in AMD /A. D. Meleth, V. R. Raiji, N. Krishnadev and E. Y. Chew --Laser Photocoagulation and Photodynamic Therapy /G. Soubrane --Anti-VEGF Therapy: Basics and Substances /S. Grisanti, J. Lüke and S. Peters --Anti-VEGF Therapy for AMD: Results and Guidelines /P. Mitchell and S. Foran --Combination Therapies for the Treatment of AMD /M. Barakat, N. Steinle and P. K. Kaiser --Treatment Approaches for Dry AMD /Z. Yehoshua and P. J. Rosenfeld --Surgical Therapy /B. Kirchhof --pt. 5.Rehabilitation.Reading with AMD /S. Trauzettel-Klosinski --Low Vision Aids in AMD /K. Rohrschneider.
- Ageing well 2007, CRCnetBASENutritional concerns in old age / Lisette C.P.G.M. de Groot and Wija A. van Staveren -- Regular exercise, the best investment for our old age / Marion E.T. McMurdo -- Major eye diseases of later life: cataract and age related macular degeneration / Astrid E. Fletcher -- Reminiscence in everyday talk between older people and their carers: implications for the quality of life of older people in care homes / Fiona Wilson ... [et al.] -- Retention of cognitive function in old age: why initial intelligence is important / Lawrence J. Whalley -- Health inequalities in old age in Britain / Elizabeth Breeze -- Demographic change, family support, and ageing well: developed country perspectives / Emily M.D. Grundy -- Energy efficiency and health of older people / Paul Wilkinson -- Ageing, health, and welfare: an economic perspective / Charles Normand -- Methodological issues in assessing the cost-effectiveness of interventions to improve the health of older people / Damian Walker and Cristian Aedo -- Minimum income for healthy living: older people England 2005-2006 / Jerry Morris ... [et al.] -- Responding to increasing human longevity: policy, practice, and research / David Metz.
- Aging 2007, SpringerLongevity -- Body architecture -- Maintenance of the body -- Multiple causes -- The ancient origins of ageing -- Mice and men -- How many genes? -- The evolution of human longevity -- Myths of life extension -- Doctors' dilemma -- The modulation of longevity -- Ageing and the angels -- Longevity, population pressure and warfare -- Dialogue between life and death -- The road discovery -- Resolution of the paradox.
- Aging 2014, KargerThe Commitment of human cells to senescence / R. Holliday -- Evolutionary theories of aging can explain why we age / E. Le Bourg -- Control of cell replication during aging / A. Macieira-Coelho -- Cell senescence : role in aging and age-related diseases / J. Campisi, L. Robert, -- Aging of cell membranes : facts and theories / I. Zs.-Nagy -- Oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction, and the mitochondria theory of aging / Y. Kong, S.E. Trabucco, H. Zhang -- Aging of connective tissues : experimental facts and theoretical considerations / J. Labat-Robert, L. Robert -- Aging of cell communication : loss of receptor function / L. Robert, T. Fulop -- On the immunological theory of aging / T. Fulop, J.M. Witkowski, G. Pawelec, C. Alan, A. Larbi -- Aging of the brain, dementias, role of infectious proteins : facts and theories / F. Morinet -- Aging as alteration / P.-A. Miquel -- Longevity and its regulation : centenarians and beyond / L. Robert, T. Fulop.
- Aging and age-related disorders 2010, SpringerPart 1. General Aspects of Aging -- Protein Redox-Regulation Mechanisms in Aging / Ufuk Çakatay -- Nitrosative Stress in Aging - Its Importance and Biological Implications in NF-κB Signaling / Predrag Ljubuncic, Einat Gochman and Abraham Z. Reznick -- Intervention with Multiple Micronutrients Including Dietary and Endogenous Antioxidants for Healthy Aging / Kedar N. Prasad -- Advanced Glycation End Products, RAGE, and Aging / Ravichandran Ramasamy, Loredana G. Bucciarelli, Shi Fang Yan and Ann Marie Schmidt -- Sirtuins and Mammalian Aging / Edward H. Sharman -- Estrogenic Modulation of Longevity by Induction of Antioxidant Enzymes / Jose Viña, Consuelo Borrás, Mari Carmen Gómez-Cabrera, Juan Gambini and Raul López-Grueso, et al. -- Mitochondrial Respiratory Function Decline in Aging and Life-Span Extension by Caloric Restriction / Shi-Bei Wu, Yu-Ting Wu, Chih-Hao Wang, Wan-Yu Lee and Yau-Huei Wei -- Methylglyoxal, Oxidative Stress, and Aging / Miklós Péter Kalapos, Kaushik M. Desai and Lingyun Wu -- Part 2. The Cardiovascular System -- Novel Strategies for Neurovascular Longevity During Aging / Kenneth Maiese, Zhao Zhong Chong, Jinling Hou and Yan Chen Shang -- Oxidative Stress in Vascular Disease / Isabelle Gorenne and Martin R. Bennett -- The Role of Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species Formation for Age-Induced Vascular Dysfunction / Andreas Daiber, Joachim Kienhoefer, Rebecca Zee, Philip Wenzel and Volker Ullrich, et al. -- Aging, Oxidative Stress, and Cardiovascular Disorders / Yi Shi, Giovanni G. Camici and Thomas F. Lüscher --Oxidative Stress, Aging, and Cardiovascular Disease / G. Riccioni, V. Sblendorio and N. D'Orazio -- Antioxidation in Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases - An Effect of Polyphenols / Jun-ichi Suzuki, Mitsuaki Isobe, Ryuichi Morishita and Ryozo Nagai -- Vascular Aging and Oxidative Stress: Hormesis and Adaptive Cellular Pathways / Nathalie Thorin-Trescases and Eric Thorin -- Role of Oxidative Stress in Mediating Elevated Blood Pressure with Aging / Julio Sartori Valinotti, Licy Yanes and Jane F. Reckelhoff -- Part 3. The Nervous System -- Melatonin, Oxidative Stress, and the Aging Brain / Stephen Bondy and Edward H. Sharman -- The SAM Strain of Mice, a Higher Oxidative Stress, Age-Dependent Degenerative Disease, and Senescence Acceleration Model / Yoichi Chiba, Atsuyoshi Shimada and Masanori Hosokawa -- Antioxidants Combined with Behavioral Enrichment Can Slow Brain Aging / Elizabeth Head -- Role of Nitric Oxide in Neurodegeneration and Vulnerability of Neuronal Cells to Nitric Oxide Metabolites and Reactive Oxygen Species / Debomoy K. Lahiri, Chandramallika Ghosh, Jack T. Rogers, Stephen Bondy and Nigel H. Greig -- Free Radical-Mediated Damage to Brain in Alzheimer's Disease: Role of Acrolein and Preclinical Promise of Antioxidant Polyphenols / Charles Ramassamy, Madeleine Arseneault and Dang Thanh Nam -- An Epigenetic Model for Susceptibility to Oxidative DNA Damage in the Aging Brain and Alzheimer's Disease / Nasser H. Zawia and Fernando Cardozo-Pelaez.
- Aging and chronic disorders 2007, Springer
- Aging and heart failure 2014, SpringerThis book synthesizes the major research advances in molecular, biochemical, and translational aspects of aging and heart failure over the last four decades and addresses future directions in management and drug discovery. It presents clinical issues and molecular mechanisms related to heart failure, including the changing demographics in the aging population with heart failure; hypertension and prevention of diastolic heart failure in the aging population; polypharmacy and adverse drug reactions in the aging population with heart failure; changes in the heart that accompany advancing age from humans to molecules; aging-associated alterations in myocardial inflammation and fibrosis; and aging-related changes in mitochondrial function and implications for heart failure therapy. The book succinctly summarizes the large volume of data on these key topics and highlights novel pathways that need to be explored. Featuring contributions from leading clinician-scientists, Aging and Heart Failure: Mechanisms and Management is an authoritative resource on the major clinical issues in heart failure therapy in the elderly for cardiologists, gerontologists, and internists.
- Aging and lung disease 2012, Springer
- Aging and the heart 2008, SpringerPost-genomic view of aging: definition, theories and observations -- Overview of cardiovascular aging -- Molecular and cellular methodologies: a primer -- Molecular and cellular phenotypes of cardiovascular aging -- Aging of the vasculature and related systems -- Aging and the cardiovascular-related systems -- Cardiomyopathy and heart failure in aging -- Atherosclerosis, hypertension and aging -- Metabolic syndrome, diabetes and cardiometabolic risks in aging -- Gender and cardiovascular diseases in aging -- Cardiac dysrhythmias and channelopathies in aging -- Genetics of life span: lessons from model organisms -- Profiling the aging cardiovascular system: transcriptional, proteomic, SNPs, gene mapping and epigenetics analysis -- Translational research: gene, pharmacogenomics and cell-based therapy in the aging heart -- Nutrition and exercise in cardiovascular aging: metabolic and pharmacological interventions -- Aging and the frontier ahead.
- Aging auditory system 2010, Springer
- Aging hair 2010, SpringerGerontobiology of the Hair Follicle / Desmond J. Tobin -- Molecular Basis of Androgenetic Alopecia / Valerie Anne Randall -- Inflammatory Phenomena and Fibrosis in Androgenetic Alopecia / Ralph M. Trüeb -- Post-Menopausal Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia / Steven Kossard -- Female Pattern Hair Loss / M. Javed Mohungoo and Andrew G. Messenger -- Hair Growth Parameters in Pre- and Postmenopausal Women / Paradi Mirmirani, Fangyi Luo, Scott R. Youngquist, Brian K. Fisher and James Li, et al. -- Comparative Histopathology of Androgenetic Alopecia, Diffuse Alopecia, and Senescent Alopecia / David A. Whiting -- Comparative Gene Expression Profiling of Senescent and Androgenetic Alopecia Using Microarray Analysis / Paradi Mirmirani and Pratima Karnik -- The Aging Hair Pigmentary Unit / Desmond J. Tobin -- Oxidative Stress Associated Melanocyte-Loss and Hair Growth Capacity in the Aging Hair Follicle: A Model for Tissue-Specific Aging / Eva M. J. Peters -- Human Hair Follicle Melanocytes as a Proxy Cell Type in Neurodegeneration Research / Nikolaos Papageorgiou, Elisabeth Carpenter and Desmond J. Tobin -- Effect of UV Radiation on Scalp and Hair Growth / Claudine Piérard-Franchimont, Pascale Quatresooz and Gérald E. Piérard -- Hair Photoaging / Won-Soo Lee -- Effect of Tobacco Smoking on Hair / Ralph M. Trüeb -- Age-Related General Problems Affecting the Condition of Hair / Ralph M. Trüeb -- Aging of Scalp and Age-Related Disorders of Scalp / Desmond Gan and Rodney Sinclair -- Care of Aging Hair and Photoprotection / Zoe Diana Draelos -- Possibilities and Limitations for Reversal of Age-Related Hair Loss / Nina Otberg, Isabel Restrepo and Jerry Shapiro -- Possibilities and Limitations for Reversal of Age-Related Pigment Loss / Ralph M. Trüeb -- Evidence-Based Hair Transplantation / Andreas M. Finner -- Future Directions: Gene Polymorphism Diagnostics Relevant to Hair / Justine A. Ellis -- Future Directions : The Known and Unknown Roles of Hair-Follicle Stem Cell Types / Robert M. Hoffman -- Future Directions: Bioengineering the Hair Follicle / Kurt S. Stenn, Ying Zheng and Jen-Chih Hsieh -- Hair After Death / Andrew S. Wilson and Desmond J. Tobin.
- Aging kidney in health and disease 2008, Springer
- Aging spine 2005, Springer
- Alzheimer's disease 2007, Springer
- Alzheimer's disease 2012, KargerThe global impact of Alzheimer's disease / M.C. Carrillo, W. Thies, L.J. Bain -- The genetics of Alzheimer's disease / M.C. Schu ... [et al.] -- Current conceptual view of Alzheimer's disease / K. Herrup -- Neuropathological basis of Alzheimer's disease and Alzheimer's disease diagnosis / J.A. Schneider ... [et al.] -- Diagnostic tools : fluid biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease / H. Zetterberg, H. Hampel, K. Blennow -- MRI-and PET-based imaging markers for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease / S. Teipel ... [et al.] -- Changing diagnostic concepts of Alzheimer's disease / G.M. McKhann, M.S. Albert, R.A. Sperling -- Pharmacological treatment of Alzheimer's disease / L.S. Schneider -- Regulatory requirements on clinical trials in Alzheimer's disease / K. Broich ... [et al.] -- Perspectives on Alzheimer's disease : past, present and future / Z.S. Khachaturian.
- Alzheimer-- 100 years and beyond 2006, Springer
- American Psychiatric Publishing textbook of geriatric psychiatry. 4th ed. 2009, PsychiatryOnlinePart I: The basic science of geriatric psychiatry --The myth, history, and science of aging /Dan G. Blazer --Demography and epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in late life /Celia F. Hybels, Dan G. Blazer, and Judith C. Hays --Physiological and clinical considerations of geriatric patient care /Robert M. Kaiser --Neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, and neuropathology of aging /Warren D. Taylor, Scott D. Moore, and Steven S. Chin --Chemical messengers /Jason D. Kilts ... [et al.] --Genetics /Robert A. Sweet and Patricia A. Wilkosz --Psychological aspects of normal aging /Ilene C. Siegler ... [et al.] --Social and economic factors related to psychiatric disorders in late life /Linda K. George.Part II: The diagnostic interview in late life --The psychiatric interview of older adults /Dan G. Blazer --Use of the laboratory in the diagnostic workup of older adults /Mugdha Thakur and P. Murali Doraiswamy --Neuropsychological assessment of dementia /Kathleen A. Welsh-Bohmer and Deborah K. Attix.Part III: Psychiatric disorders in late life --Delirium /Michael A. Fearing and Sharon K. Inouye --Dementia and milder cognitive syndromes /Constantine G. Lyketsos --Movement disorders /Burton Scott --Mood disorders /Dan G. Blazer, David C. Steffens, and Harold G. Koenig --Bipolar disorder in late life /John L. Beyer --Schizophrenia and paranoid disorders /Dilip V. Jeste, Nicole M. Lanouette, and Ipsit V. Vahia --Anxiety disorders /Eric J. Lenze and Julie Loebach Wetherell --Somatoform disorders /Marc E. Agronin --Sexual disorders /Marc E. Agronin --Bereavement /Moria J. Smoski and Larry W. Thompson --Sleep and circadian rhythm disorders /Andrew D. Krystal, Jack D. Edinger, and William K. Wohlgemuth --Alcohol and drug problems /David W. Oslin and Shahrzad Mavandadi --Personality disorders /Thomas E. Oxman --Agitation and suspiciousness /Harold W. Goforth and Lisa P. Gwyther.Part IV: Treatment of psychiatric disorders in late life --Psychopharmacology /Benoit H. Mulsant and Bruce G. Pollock --Electroconvulsive therapy /Richard D. Weiner and Andrew D. Krystal --Nutrition and physical activity /Connie Watkins Bales and Martha Elizabeth Payne --Individual and group psychotherapy /Thomas R. Lynch and Moria J. Smoski --Working with families of older adults /Lisa P. Gwyther and Diane E. Meglin --Clinical psychiatry in the nursing home /Joel E. Streim and Ira R. Katz --The continuum of caring in the long term: movement toward the community /George L. Maddox and Elise J. Bolda.Part V: Special topics --Legal, ethical, and policy issues /William E. Reichman ... [et al.] --The past and future of geriatric psychiatry /Dan G. Blazer and David C. Steffens.
- Anemia in the elderly 2007, Springer
- Animal models of dementia 2011, Springer ProtocolsGeneral introduction to animal models of human conditions / Peter Paul De Deyn and Debby Van Dam -- Animal models of dementia : ethical considerations / I. Anna S. Olsson and Peter Sandøe -- The role of rodent models in the drug discovery pipeline for dementia / Debby Van Dam and Peter Paul De Deyn -- Species, strain, and gender issues in the development and validation of animal models of dementia / Annemie Van Dijck, Debby Van Dam, and Peter Paul De Deyn -- Transgenic and gene targeted models of dementia / Ronald A. Conlon -- Transgenic animals and intellectual property concerns / Susan L. Stoddard and James A. Rogers III -- Pathological validation of animal models of dementia / Daniel Pirici, Christine Van Broeckhoven, and Samir Kumar-Singh -- Behavioral validation in animal models of dementia / Debby Van Dam, Annemie Van Dijck, and Peter Paul De Deyn -- Pharmacological validation in animal models of dementia / Hugo Geerts -- Validation of animal models of dementia : neurochemical aspects / Giancarlo Pepeu and Maria Cristina Rosi -- Validation of dementia models employing neuroimaging techniques / Greet Vanhoutte, Adriaan Campo, and Annemie Van der Linden -- Drosophila melanogaster as a model organism for dementia / Maria E. Giannakou and Damian C. Crowther -- Caenorhabditis elegans as a model organism for dementia / Tjakko J. Van Ham and Ellen A.A. Nollen -- Zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model organism for dementia / Rob Willemsen ... [et al.] -- Spontaneous vertebrate models of Alzheimer dementia : selectively bred strains (SAM strains) / Renã A. Sowell and D. Allan Butterfield -- Lesion-induced vertebrate models of Alzheimer dementia / Adolfo Toledano and Maria Isabel Álvarez -- A[Beta] infusion and related models of Alzheimer dementia / Patricia A. Lawlor and Deborah Young -- APP-based transgenic models : the PDAPP model / Jacob M. Basak and David M. Holtzman -- APP-based transgenic models : the Tg2576 model / Robert M.J. Deacon -- APP-based transgenic models : the APP23 model / Debby Van Dam and Peter Paul De Deyn -- Presenilin-based transgenic models of Alzheimer's dementia / Yuji Yoshiike and Akihiko Takashima -- APOE-based models of "pre-dementia" / Patrick M. Sullivan -- TAU models / Nicolas Sergeant and Luc Buée -- The 3xTg-AD mouse model : reproducing and modulating plaque and tangle pathology / Michael Sy, Masashi Kitazawa, and Frank LaFerla -- Cognitive dysfunction in genetic mouse models of parkinsonism / Sheila M. Fleming, J. David Jentsch, and Marie-Françoise Chesselet -- Mouse models of metachromatic leukodystrophy and adrenoleukodystrophy / Patrick Aubourg, Caroline Sevin, and Nathatie Cartier -- Animal models of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis / Ludo Van Den Bosch -- Animal models of frontotemporal dementia / Hana N. Dawson and Daniel T. Laskowitz -- CADASIL : molecular mechanisms and animal models / Karl J. Fryxell -- Spontaneously hypertensive rat (SHR) : an animal model of vascular brain disorder / Francesco Amenta and Daniele Tomassoni -- Animal models of normal pressure hydrocephalus / Petra M. Klinge -- Animal models of traumatically-induced dementia / Jennifer E. Slemmer, Mohammad Z. Hossain, and John T. Weber -- Animal models of alcohol-induced dementia / Angela Maria Ribeiro and Silvia R. Castanheira Pereira -- Animal models of metallic dementia / Luigi F. Rodella.
- Animal models of human cognitive aging 2009, SpringerNormal and pathological aging: from animals to humans / Nicole C. Berchtold and Carl W. Cotman -- Nonhuman primate models of cognitive aging / Agnès Lacreuse and James G. Herndon -- Age-related effects on prefrontal cortical systems: translating between rodents, nonhuman primates, and humans / Mark G. Baxter -- Comparison of different cognitive rat models of human aging / Candi LaSarge and Michelle Nicolle -- Mouse models of cognitive aging: behavioral tasks and neural substrates / Michael E. Calhoun -- Impact of Aβ and Tau on cognition in mouse models of Alzheimer's disease / Maya A. Koike ... [et al.] -- Hormonal influences of brain aging and age-related cognitive decline / Danielle K. Lewis and Farida Sohrabji -- Timing deficits in aging and neuropathology / Fuat Balci ... [et al.].
- Atlas of geriatric dermatology 2014, SpringerThis is a comprehensive, practical, densely illustrated diagnostic and therapeutic guide for all geriatric dermatology providers. The book comprises 50 chapters and over 600 color photographs on topics ranging from common conditions such as basal cell carcinoma, rosacea, and seborrheic dermatitis to unusual conditions such as angiosarcoma, dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, and porphyria cutanea tarda. Sections include:- Inflammatory conditions (including contact dermatitis, alopecia, erythema multiforme, pemphigus, bullous pemphigoid, porphyria, pruritus, psoriasis, rosacea, seborrhea, urticaria.
- Autonomic nervous system in old age 2004., Karger
- Behavioral neurobiology of aging 2012, Springer
- Biological basis of geriatric oncology 2005, Springer
- Body composition and aging 2010, KargerContribution of adipose tissue to health span and longevity / Huffman, D.M., Barzilai, N. -- Obesity paradox during aging / Chapman, I.M. -- Central control of food intake in aging / Kmiec, Z. -- Changes in food intake and its relationship to weight loss during advanced age / McDonald, R.B., Ruhe, R.C. -- Changes in body composition in response to challenges during aging in rats / Wolden-Hanson, T. -- New haystacks reveal new needles : using Caenorhabditis elegans to identify novel targets for ameliorating body composition changes during human aging / Wolkow, C.A. -- Sarcopenia : prevalence, mechanisms, and functional consequences / Berger, M.J., Doherty, T.J. -- mTOR signaling as a target of amino acid treatment of the age-related sarcopenia / D'Antona, G., Nisoli, E. -- Mitochondrial theory of aging in human age-related sarcopenia / Parise, G., De Lisio, M. -- Exercise as a calorie restriction mimetic : implications for improving healthy aging and longevity / Huffman, D.M. -- Clinical, cellular and molecular phenotypes of aging bone / Syed, F.A. ... [et al.].
- Brocklehurst's Textbook of geriatric medicine and gerontology. 7th ed. 2010, ClinicalKey
- Calcium homeostasis and signaling in aging. 1st ed. 2002., ScienceDirect
- Caloric restriction 2002, ScienceDirect
- Calorie restriction, aging, and longevity 2010, SpringerPart 1. CALORIE RESTRICTION IN DIFFERENT SPECIES -- History of Caloric Restriction, Aging and Longevity / Edward J. Masoro -- Food Intake, Life Style, Aging and Human Longevity / Arthur V. Everitt, Leonie K. Heilbronn and David G. Le Couteur -- Okinawa: A Naturally Calorie Restricted Population / Matthew W. Rosenbaum, Bradley J. Willcox, D. Craig Willcox and Makoto Suzuki -- Aging and the Effect of Calorie Restriction in Rhesus Monkeys / Ilhem Messaoudi, Jennifer E. Young, Ricki J. Colman, April M. Handy and George S. Roth, et al. -- Dietary Restriction and Aging in Drosophila Melanogaster / Luc Poirier, Rafael de Cabo and Sige Zou -- Aging and Dietary Restriction: The Yeast Paradigm / Min Wei, Federica Madia, Rafael de Cabo and Valter D. Longo -- The Nutritional Geometry of Aging / Stephen J. Simpson and David Raubenheimer -- Part 2. BIOCHEMICAL AND METABOLIC MECHANISMS OF CALORIE RESTRICTION -- Oxidative Stress, Dietary Restriction and Aging / Brian J. Merry and Catherine E. Ash -- Calorie Restriction Mimetics and Aging / Brian J. Morris -- Will Calorie Restriction Stave Off Age-Related Brain Dysfunction, Specifically to Learning and Memory? A Review and Critique of the Rodent Literature / Edward L. Spangler, Jeffrey Long, Bennett Kelley-Bell, Marshall Miller and Robin K. Minor, et al. -- The Aging Liver and the Effects of Long Term Caloric Restriction / David G. Le Couteur, David A. Sinclair, Victoria C. Cogger, Aisling C. McMahon and Alessandra Warren, et al. -- Food Restriction, Hormones, Genes and Aging / Arthur V. Everitt, Holly M. Brown-Borg, David G. Le Couteur and Andrzej Bartke -- Hormesis as a Mechanism for the Anti-Aging Effects of Calorie Restriction / Suresh I.S. Rattan and Dino Demirovic -- Part 3. CALORIE RESTRICTION IN THE CLINICAL SETTING -- Calorie Restriction and Obesity / Krista A. Varady -- Caloric Restriction and Cardiovascular Disease / Anna Csiszar, Rafael de Cabo and Zoltan Ungvari -- The Effect of Caloric Restriction on Physiological, Psychological and Behavioral Outcomes in Humans: Results from CALERIE / Leanne M. Redman and Eric Ravussin -- Calorie Restriction and Cancer: An Update / Robin K. Minor, R. Michael Anson and Rafael de Cabo -- Conclusion: Human Calorie Restriction and Anti-aging Therapy / Arthur V. Everitt, Leonie K. Heilbronn, Brian J. Morris, Holly M. Brown-Borg and Brian J. Merry, et al.
- Cancer and aging 2013, KargerChronic mechanistic target of rapamycin inhibition : preventing cancer to delay aging, or vice versa? / Sharp, Z.D.; Curiel, T.J.; Livi, C. -- Senescent cells and their secretory phenotype as targets for cancer therapy / Velarde, M.C.; Demaria, M.; Campisi, J. -- Cancer vaccination at older age / Gravekamp, C. -- Immunology of aging and cancer development / Fulop, T. ... [et al.] -- Metabolic syndrome and cancer : from bedside to bench and back / Extermann, M. -- Frailty : a common pathway in aging and cancer / Balducci, L. -- Targeting age-related changes in the biology of acute myeloid leukemia : is the patient seeing the progress? / Vey, N. -- Comprehensive geriatric assessment in oncology / Mohile, S.G.; Magnuson, A. -- Pharmacology of aging and cancer : how useful are pharmacokinetic tests? / Lichtman, S.M. -- Surgery in older cancer patients : recent results and new techniques : worth the investment? / Van Leeuwen, B.L.; Huisman, M.G.; Audisio, R.A. -- Organizing the geriatrician/oncologist partnership : one size fits all? practical solutions / Holmes, H.M.; Albrand, G. -- Geriatric oncology nursing : beyond standard care / Overcash, J. -- Exercise for older cancer patients : feasible and helpful? / Klepin, H.D.; Mohile, S.G. ; Mihalko, S. -- Aging and cancer : addressing a nation's challenge / Brochot, J.-M.; Le Quellec-Nathan, M.; Buzyn, A.
- Cardiothoracic surgery in the elderly 2011, SpringerPart 1. General Aspects of Care -- Invited Commentary / Ronnie A. Rosenthal -- The Epidemiology and Economics of Cardiothoracic Surgery in the Elderly / David A. Etzioni and Vaughn A. Starnes -- Principles of Geriatric Surgery / Mark R. Katlic -- Geriatric Models of Care / Elizabeth A. Capezuti, Patricia Ursomanno, Marie Boltz and Hongsoo Kim -- Delirium After Cardiac Surgery / James L. Rudolph -- Cardiac Rehabilitation in the Elderly / Carl I. Gonzales and Lois A. Killewich -- Legal Aspects of Geriatric Surgery / Marshall B. Kapp -- Ethical Issues in Cardiothoracic Surgery for the Elderly / Susan M. Hecker and Robert M. Sade -- Acute Pain Control in Geriatric Patients After Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeries / Jack M. Berger, Tawfik Ayoub and Jayeshkumar Patel -- Palliative Care in the Elderly / Geoffrey P. Dunn -- Cardiopulmonary Trauma in the Elderly / Jay Menaker and Thomas M. Scalea -- Imaging Features of the Normal Aging Chest / Carol C. Wu and Jo-Anne O. Shepard -- Cardiac Imaging in the Elderly / Faisal Nabi, Dipan J. Shah, Stephen H. Little and Su Min Chang -- Part 2. Physiologic Changes -- Invited Commentary / Michael E. Zenilman -- Biology of Aging / Huber R. Warner -- Hematologic Disorders in the Elderly / Ilene C. Weitz -- Anticoagulation in the Older Surgical Patient / M. Kate Elfrey and Susan J. Zieman -- Medication Usage in Older Cardiothoracic Surgical Patients / Richard A. Marottoli, Sean M. Jeffery and Roshini C. Pinto-Powell -- Wound Healing in the Elderly / Christopher G. Engeland and Praveen K. Gajendrareddy -- Pulmonary Changes in the Elderly / Keenan A. Hawkins and Ravi Kalhan -- Cardiac Changes in the Elderly / Wilbert S. Aronow and William H. Frishman -- Renal Changes in the Elderly / Carlos G. Musso and Dimitrios G. Oreopoulos -- Gastrointestinal and Liver Changes in the Elderly / Vadim Sherman, John A. Primomo and F. Charles Brunicardi --Neurologic and Cognitive Changes in the Elderly / J. Riley McCarten -- Hormonal Changes During and After Cardiac Surgery / Marcello Maggio, Chiara Cattabiani and Gian Paolo Ceda -- Part 3. Cardiac Surgery -- Invited Commentary / William A. Baumgartner -- Preoperative Evaluation and Preparation in the Elderly Cardiac Surgery Patient / Joseph C. Cleveland -- Cardiac Anesthesia in the Elderly / Eric W. Nelson and James H. Abernathy -- Postoperative and Critical Care in the Elderly Cardiac Surgery Patient / Christopher J. Barreiro, Kerry J. Stewart and Glenn Whitman -- Surgery for Ischemic Coronary Disease in the Elderly / Margarita T. Camacho and Melissa L. Wong -- Surgical Treatment of Aortic Valve Disease in the Elderly / Vinod H. Thourani and Robert A. Guyton -- Surgical Treatment of Mitral Valve Disease in the Elderly / Maqsood M. Elahi and Kenton J. Zehr -- Surgical Treatment of Thoracic Aortic Disease in the Elderly / Arnar Geirsson -- Surgical Treatment of Pericardial Disease in the Elderly / Joshua Kindelan and Alberto de Hoyos -- Pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators in the Elderly / Luciana Armaganijan and Jeff S. Healey -- Heart Transplantation and Mechanical Assistance in the Elderly / Edwin C. McGee -- Part 4. Thoracic Surgery -- Invited Commentary / Joseph LoCicero -- Preoperative Evaluation and Preparation in the Elderly Thoracic Surgery Patient / Ticiana Leal, Noelle K. LoConte, Anai Kothari and Tracey L. Weigel -- Thoracic Anesthesia in the Elderly / Anne C. Kolker -- Postoperative and Critical Care in the Elderly Thoracic Surgery Patient / Brannon R. Hyde and Joseph B. Zwischenberger -- Adjuvant Therapy for Lung Cancer in the Elderly / Jared Weiss and Corey J. Langer -- Pulmonary Surgery for Malignant Disease in the Elderly / Sarah E. Billmeier and Michael T. Jaklitsch -- Benign Thoracic Disease in the Elderly / Rita A. Mukhtar and Pierre R. Theodore -- Lung Transplantation in the Elderly / Juan J. Fibla, Sandra C. Tomaszek and Stephen D. Cassivi -- Esophageal Surgery for Malignant Disease in the Elderly / Philip A. Rascoe and John C. Kucharczuk -- Esophageal Surgery for Benign Disease in the Elderly / Rose E. Hardin, Katie S. Nason and James D. Luketich -- Surgery for Mediastinal Disease in the Elderly / Cameron D. Wright -- Surgery for Pleural Disease in the Elderly / Raja M. Flores and Naveed Z. Alam -- Surgery for Chest Wall Disease in the Elderly / Daniel L. Miller -- Surgery of the Trachea and Bronchi in the Elderly / Douglas J. Mathisen and Ashok Muniappan.
- Cardiovascular disease in the elderly 2005, SpringerAging of the heart and arteries : relevance to cardiovascular disease / Samer S. Najjar and Edward G. Lakatta -- Frailty : keystone in the bridge between geriatrics and cardiology / William Russell Hazzard -- Cardiovascular risk factors in the elderly : evaluation and intervention / Susan J. Zieman and Beth R. Malasky -- Stable coronary artery disease in the elderly / Beth R. Malasky and Joseph S. Alpert -- Age and mortality and morbidity in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction / Steven P. Schulman and Gary Gerstenblith -- Unstable angina/non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction in the elderly / Stephen D. Wiviott and Christopher P. Cannon -- Percutaneous coronary intervention in the elderly / Michael J. McWilliams and Eric J. Topol -- Cardiac surgery in the elderly / David D. Yuh and William A. Baumgartner -- Heart failure in the elderly / Michael W. Rich -- Valvular heart disease in the elderly / Milind Y. Desai and Gary Gerstenblith -- Arrhythmia management in the elderly / Jonathan P. Piccini and Hugh Calkins -- Peripheral arterial disease in the elderly / Emile R. Mohler III and William R. Hiatt -- Cardiac rehabilitation in older cardiac patients / Philip A. Ades -- Clinical pharmacology / Janice B. Schwartz -- Medical treatment of the cardiac patient approaching the end of life / Lofty L. Basta, W. Daniel Doty, and Michael D.D. Geldart.
- Care-related quality of life in old age 2007, Springer
- Cell-based therapy for retinal degenerative disease 2014, KargerAge-related macular degeneration: clinical findings, histopathology, and imaging techniques / Zarbin, M.A.; Casaroli-Marano, R.P.; Rosenfeld, P.J. -- General pathophysiology in retinal degeneration / Wert, K.J.; Lin, J.H.; Tsang, S.H. -- Juvenile-onset macular degeneration and allied disorders / North, V.; Gelman, R.; Tsang, S.H. -- Diagnosis and complementary examinations / Menghini, M.; Duncan, J.L. -- Stem cells for retinal repair / Stern, J.; Temple, S. -- Differentiation of pluripotent stem cells into retinal pigmented epithelium / Croze, R.H.; Clegg, D.O. -- Neural retinal regeneration with pluripotent stem cells / Ramsden, C.M.; Powner, M.B.; Carr, A.-J.F.; Smart, M.J.K.; da Cruz, L.; Coffey, P.J. -- Stem cells, retinal ganglion cells and glaucoma / Sluch, V.M.; Zack, D.J. -- Stem cells : immunology and immunomodulation / Tena, A.; Sachs, D.H. -- Biochemical restoration of aged human Bruch's membrane : experimental studies to improve retinal pigment epithelium transplant survival and differentiation / Sugino, I.K.; Sun, Q.; Cheewatrakoolpong, N.; Malcuit, C.; Zarbin, M.A. -- Approaches to cell delivery : substrates and scaffolds for cell therapy / Kundu, J.; Michaelson, A.; Baranov, P.; Young, M.J.; Carrier, R.L. -- Microdevice-based cell therapy for age-related macular degeneration / Lu, B.; Tai, Y.-C.; Humayun, M.S. -- Cell and gene therapy / Rao, R.C.; Zacks, D.N. -- Cellular manufacturing for clinical applications / Sheu, J.; Klassen, H.; Bauer, G. -- Regulatory issues in cell-based therapy for clinical purposes / Casaroli-Marano, R.P.; Tabera, J.; Vilarrodona, A.; Trias, E.
- Centers for ending 2011, SpringerAs people live longer and health care costs continue to rise and fewer doctors choose to specialize in geriatrics, how prepared is the United States to care for its sick and elderly? According to veteran psychologist Seymour Sarason's eloquent and compelling new book, the answer is: inadequately at best. And rarely discussed among the grim statistics is the psychosocial price paid by nursing home patients, from loneliness and isolation to depression and dependency. In "Centers for Ending", Dr. Sarason uses his firsthand experience as both practitioner and patient in senior facilities.
- Perspectives on General Aging / Robert J. Pignolo -- History of Geriatric Medicine / Mary Ann Forciea -- Palliative Care of Older Patients / Jennifer Kapo -- Home-Based Care of the Older Patient / Mary Ann Forciea and Jean Yudin -- Education of Health Professionals / Kathy L. Egan -- Dementia / Jason H. Karlawish -- Delirium / Jerry C. Johnson -- Falls / Lesley S. Carson -- Urinary Incontinence / Mary Ann Forciea -- Osteoporosis / Robert J. Pignolo -- Nutrition / Joan Weinryb -- Health Screening and Disease Prevention / Vivian S. Argento -- Osteoarthritis / Edna P. Schwab -- Pressure Ulcers / Mary Ann Forciea -- Depression / Monica K. Crane.
- Clinical cases in geriatric dermatology 2013, SpringerThe demographic imperative has reached the shores of dermatology. By 2020 those aged 65 years and older will comprise a quarter of the US population, and this percentage will be even more significant in less developed countries. As a specialty, dermatology needs to respond to this unprecedented demographic shift. Over the last few decades dermatology has enjoyed a sustained improvement in understanding of the basic science of skin biology and an increase in proven effectiveness of clinical interventions. As dermatologists, leadership must be in place to provide specialized care for older adults; dermatology should be at the forefront of prevention and treatment of skin diseases and be able to recognize the dermatologic signs of chronic systemic disease so often noted in our elderly.Clinical Cases in Geriatric Dermatology represents a practical tool in understanding the skin of older people and includes chapters on the common presentations of dermatologic disease in the elderly population. It presents practical information to assist in making the correct clinical decision. The concise case-based organization of this book will help those in dermatology training programs, but will also be a welcome revision tool for qualified and recertifying dermatologists.
- Colorectal cancer in the elderly 2013, SpringerAs the population ages, clinicians are facing an increasing number of elderly patients with colorectal cancer. Disease management in these patients poses a unique challenge as they have more comorbidities and lower functional reserves. In addition, the treatment goals may differ from those in younger patients. Appropriate management of elderly patients demands a greater understanding of not only the physiological changes but also issues related to the delivery of holistic care. This book discusses in depth the different aspects of management of colorectal cancer in the elderly. After the provision of pertinent background information on the normal physiology of aging, screening and diagnosis are discussed. Subsequent chapters focus on a range of issues associated with the surgical and perioperative care of these patients and with adjuvant treatment and palliative care. Each chapter provides helpful take-home messages in bullet point form, and numerous informative figures and tables are also included. The authors are surgeons, physicians, anesthetists, geriatricians, oncologists, and allied health professionals with extensive experience in the field.This book discusses in depth the different aspects of management of colorectal cancer in the elderly. After the provision of pertinent background information on the normal physiology of aging, screening and diagnosis are discussed. Subsequent chapters focus on a range of issues associated with the surgical and perioperative care of these patients and with adjuvant treatment and palliative care. Each chapter provides helpful take-home messages in bullet point form, and numerous informative figures and tables are also included. The authors are surgeons, physicians, anesthetists, geriatricians, oncologists, and allied health professionals with extensive experience in the field.
- Common sense guide to dementia for clinicians and caregivers 2013, SpringerWhat is dementia? -- Signposts : what to look for and when to seek help -- Finding help -- Preparing for a visit to the doctor -- Making the most of the doctor's visit -- The seven common senses of dementia care -- Caring for the caregiver -- Dementia medications -- Alternative therapies in dementia -- Alcohol and other substances -- Mood issues in dementia -- Psychosis -- Dealing with problem behaviors in dementia -- Legal and financial matters -- Selecting level of care -- Looking ahead : the later stages.
- Competence assessment in dementia 2008, Springer
- Complementary and alternative therapies and the aging population 2009, ScienceDirectBotanical and marine oils for treatment of arthritis -- Prolotherapy for chronic musculoskeletal pain -- Soy and cognition in the aging population -- Valerian and other CAM botanicals in treatment of sleep disturbances -- Botanicals and nutrition in the treatment of epilepsy -- Ginkgo biloba extract in prevention of age-associated diseases in elderly population -- Policosanol to manage dyslipidemia in older adults -- Health promoting benefits of chamomile in the elderly population -- Bamboo extract in the prevention of diabetes and breast cancer -- Cranberry and other dietary supplements for the treatment of urinary tract infections in aging women -- Black cohosh: chemopreventive and anticancer potential -- Integrating comprehensive and alternative medicine into stroke -- Socioeconomic aspects of the use of complementary and alternative medicine -- Noni (Morinda citrifolia) fruit as a functional food and dietary supplement for an aging population -- Botanical treatment for polycystic ovary syndrome -- Eggs and health: nutrient sources and supplement carriers -- Berries and cancer -- Flavonoids and cardiovascular health -- Ibogaine and the treatment of opiate addiction -- The potential of caffine for the inhibition of cognitive decline in the aged -- Five or more servings of fruit and vegetables each day for better health! -- Medicinal uses of vinegar -- Health-promoting effects of grape bioactive phytochemicals -- Isoflavones made simple - agonist activity for the beta-type estrogen receptor may mediate their health benefits -- Signal therapy: propolis and pepper extracts as cancer therapeutics -- Health benefits of traditional culinary and medicinal Mediterranean plants -- Quercetin: a potential complementary and alternative cancer therapy.
- Genetic factors in ethnic disparities in health / Richard S. Cooper -- Race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and health / Eileen M. Crimmins, Mark D. Hayward and Teresa E. Seeman -- The role of social and personal resources in ethnic disparities in late-life health / Carlos F. Mendes de Leon and Thomas A. Glass -- What makes a place healthy? neighborhood influences on racial and ethnic disparities in health over the life course / Jeffrey D. Morenoff and John W. Lynch --Racial and ethnic disparities in health behaviors: a challenge to current assumptions / Marilyn A. Winkleby and Catherine Cubbin -- Cumulative psychosocial risks and resilience: a conceptual perspective on ethnic health disparities in late life / Hector F. Myers and Wei-Chin Hwang -- Significance of perceived racism: toward understanding ethnic group disparities in health, the later years / Rodney Clark -- A neurovisceral integration model of health disparities in aging / Julian F. Thayer and Bruce H. Friedman -- Geography and racial health disparities / Amitabh Chandra and Jonathan S. Skinner -- Behavioral health interventions: what works and why? / David M. Cutler -- Ethnic disparities in aging health: what can we learn from the United Kingdom? / James Y. Nazroo -- An exploratory investigation into racial disparities in the health of older South Africans / Debbie Bradshaw ... [et al.].Racial and ethnic identification, official classifications, and health disparities / Gary D. Sandefur, Mary E. Campbell, and Jennifer Eggerling-Boeck -- Racial and ethnic disparities in health and mortality among the U.S. elderly population / Robert A. Hummer, Maureen R. Benjamins, and Richard G. Rogers -- Ethnic differences in dementia and Alzheimer's disease / Jennifer J. Manly and Richard Mayeux -- The life-course contribution to ethnic disparities in health / Clyde Hertzman -- Selection processes in the study of racial and ethnic differentials in adult health and mortality / Alberto Palloni and Douglas C. Ewbank -- Immigrant health: selectivity and acculturation / Guillermina Jasso ... [et al.] --
- Current diagnosis and treatment. Second edition [2nd ed.] 2014, AccessMedicinePrinciples of geriatric care -- Transforming the care of older adults: knowledge, skills, & system change -- Consideration of function & functional decline -- Goals of care & consideration of prognosis -- The social context of older adults -- The interprofessional team -- Geriatric assessment -- Atypical presentations of illness in older adults -- Prevention & health promotion -- Principles of prescribing for older adults -- Addressing multimorbidity in older adults -- Geriatrics & palliative care -- Ethics & informed decision making -- Care settings -- Transitions and continuity of care -- Ambulatory care & the patient-centered medical home -- Providing quality care to older adults in the emergency department -- Hospital care -- Perioperative care in older surgical patients -- Long-term care, nursing home, & rehabilitation -- Home-based care -- The aging traveler -- Common conditions in geriatrics -- Delirium -- Cognitive impairment & dementia -- Cerebrovascular disease -- Parkinson disease & essential tremor -- Falls & mobility disorders -- Osteoarthritis -- Osteoporosis & hip fractures -- Coronary disease -- Heart failure & heart rhythm disorders -- Hypertension -- Valvular disease -- Peripheral arterial disease & venous thromboembolism -- Chronic venous insufficiency & lymphedema -- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- Gastrointestinal & abdominal complaints -- Constipation -- Fluid & electrolyte abnormalities -- Chronic kidney disease -- Urinary incontinence -- Benign prostatic hyperplasia & prostate cancer -- Thyroid, parathyroid, & adrenal gland disorders -- Diabetes -- Anemia -- Common cancers -- Depression & other mental health issues -- Sexual health & dysfunction -- Common infections -- Pressure ulcers -- Common skin disorders -- Sleep disorders -- Oral diseases & disorders -- Common clinical scenarios in geriatrics -- Evaluating confusion in older adults -- Addressing polypharmacy & improving medication adherence in older adults -- Managing persistent pain in older adults -- Considering anticoagulation in older adults -- Assessing antiaging therapies for older adults -- Considering complementary & alternative medicines for older adults -- Managing misuse of alcohol & psychoactive prescription medications in older adults -- Assessing older adults for syncope following a fall -- Treating headaches in older adults -- Managing vision impairment in older adults -- Managing hearing impairment in older adults -- Addressing chest pain in older adults -- Addressing dyspnea in older adults -- Managing joint pain in older adults -- Managing back pain in older adults -- Determining the appropriate use of exercise for older adults -- Defining adequate nutrition for older adults -- Helping older adults with low health literacy -- Understanding the effects of homelessness and housing instability on older adults -- Understanding the effects of criminal justice involvement on older adults -- Detecting, assessing, & responding to elder mistreatment -- Meeting the unique needs of LGBT older adults -- Broadening clinical practice -- Applying evidence-based medicine to older patients -- International perspectives in geriatric care -- Public policy intersecting with an aging society.
- Dementia in clinical practice 2009., KargerClinical investigations in primary care / de Souza, L.C. ... [et al.] -- The concept of mild cognitive impairment : relevance and limits in clinical practice / Michon, A. -- Pathological substrates of cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease / Giannakopoulos, P. ... [et al.] -- Functional imaging in mild cognitive impairment and early Alzheimer's disease : is it pertinent? / Ibáñez, V.; Deiber, M.-P. -- Electrophysiological markers of rapid cognitive decline in mild cognitive impairment / Giannakopoulos, P. ... [et al.] -- The future : new methods of imaging exploration in Alzheimer's disease / Nordberg, A. -- Pharmacological interventions in primary care : hopes and illusions / Assal, F.; van der Meulen, M. -- Investigations in primary care / Poggesi, A.; Pantoni, L. -- The concept of vascular cognitive impairment / Erkinjuntti, T.; Gauthier, S. --Defining the neuropathological background of vascular and mixed dementia and comparison with magnetic resonance imaging findings / Gold, G. -- Is it possible to treat vascular dementia? / Zekry, D. -- Dementia with Lewy bodies : clinical diagnosis and therapeutic approach / Gold, G. -- Significance of brain lesions in Parkinson disease dementia and Lewy body dementia / Jellinger, K.A. -- Delineating dementia with Lewy bodies : can magnetic resonance imaging help? / von Gunten, A.; Meuli, R. -- Pharmacotherapy of Parkinson disease dementia and Lewy body dementia / Gauthier, S. -- Clinical features and diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia / Kertesz, A. -- Neuropathological spectrum of frontal lobe dementias / Kövari, E. -- Frontotemporal dementia neuroimaging : a guide for clinicians / Seeley, W.W. -- Frontotemporal dementia : therapeutic interventions / Mendez, M.F.
- Dementia in clinical practice. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2014, SpringerThis concise, pragmatic, pocket-sized book addresses neurological contributions to the diagnosis and management of dementia through a longitudinal examination of the work undertaken in a dedicated neurological dementia clinic. It covers the use of cognitive and non-cognitive screening instruments and their diagnostic utility and the use of other diagnostic investigations: neuroimaging, neurophysiology and neuropathology. The diagnostic mix is discussed in terms of both neuropsychological syndromes and neurological diagnoses, as is the use of conventional treatments for dementia and the impact of national directives (e.g. NICE, National Dementia Strategy) on day-to-day clinical practice. Dementia in Clinical Practice: A Neurological Perspective, Second Edition is an illustrated, practical resource for medical professionals involved in the assessment and management of dementia patients. It is of particular benefit to neurologists, psychiatrists, geriatricians, primary care practitioners and those working in the fields of neuropsychology, psychology, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy and nursing.
- Designing for older adults 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Designing telehealth for an aging population 2012, CRCnetBASE"As simple and straightforward as two health professionals conferring over the telephone or as complex and sophisticated as robotic surgery between facilities at different ends of the globe, telehealth is an increasingly frequent component in healthcare. A primer on the human factors issues that can influence how older adults interact with telehealth systems, Designing Telehealth for an Aging Population: A Human Factors Perspective examines the new ways patients and healthcare providers communicate to achieve the same or better outcomes than with traditional face-to-face healthcare.The authors examine older adult capabilities and provide standards and guidelines for telehealth design, enlivened by clinical examples and tutorials on human factors methodologies. They take a systematic look at how the use of human factors principles can facilitate the successful development, deployment, and maintenance of telehealth technology to better serve the aging population. The authors have carefully stayed away from academic writing, distilling their experience in the form of basic observations and principles drawn from their work. They include suggested readings at the end of each chapter that supply the research underpinning their recommendations. The first reference to cover older adult users in an area that will only get bigger, this book sets itself apart by providing focused coverage of the human factors issues specific to aging populations and practical advice on how to accommodate them"--Provided by publisher.
- DHEA in human health and aging 2012, CRCnetBASE"Reduced production of DHEA associated with the diseases that accompany aging has led to its use as a nutritional supplement for antiaging, metabolic support, and other purposes. While animal studies have clearly shown substantial benefits of DHEA in combating various disease states, the effect of low levels of DHEA in humans is less established, and the mechanisms of action and potential involvement in illnesses remain unclear. DHEA in Human Health and Aging reviews the past ten years of research into this hormone and explores its potential for future study."--Publisher's description.
- Diabetes care for the older patient 2012, SpringerThe Epidemiology of Diabetes in Older People -- Type 2 Diabetes and Dementia -- Depression in Older People with Diabetes -- Hypoglycaemia and the Older Person -- Cardiovascular Risk, Glucose and Targets for Management of Diabetes in Older People -- Diabetes and Frailty -- Perceptions of Users and Carers in Supporting Diabetes Care: Practical Guidance, Support and Information for Carers -- Management of Elderly People with Diabetes in Primary Care.
- Diabetes, insulin, and Alzheimer's disease 2010, Springer
- Diagnosis of aging skin diseases 2007, Springer
- Drug therapy for the elderly 2013, SpringerWith people aged 65 years and older currently making up the fastest growing age group throughout the world, the demographic revolution of an aging society will inevitably lead to increased pressure to develop a rationalistic and age-tailored process of diagnosis and treatment among the elderly. As aging people often suffer from several chronic diseases and are being treated with multiple medications concurrently, unwanted drug interactions occur more frequently. Whereas recent approaches have recommended to remove particular drugs from the medication regimen to avoid adverse effects, Drug Therapy for the Elderly underlines both indispensable and dispensable elements of drug treatment, providing the practitioner with:- Background information on the elderly population regarding their needs for particular drugs (with an eye to frailty, co-morbidity patterns, and special sensitivities regarding drug metabolism and excretion)- Practical advice about drug treatment surveillance parameters in the elderly- In-depth discussion of drugs in relation to the elderly with specific diagnoses- Integration of multimorbidity/polypharmacy situations into prioritization schemes- A plan for how to deal with the complexity of polypharmacy situations in a five-minute consultationAn original classification of drugs is proposed by the editor which relates the power of effects, prognostic data, and tolerability to a prioritization scoring system. This approach is the first to not only provide a negative listing, but also integrates positive data into an overall assessment for drugs fit for the aged. Therefore, Drug Therapy for the Elderly serves as a timely reference for a wide array of physicians.
- Drug-related problems in the elderly 2009, Springer
- Eldercare technology for clinical practitioners 2008, Springer
- Encyclopedia of aging and public health 2008, SpringerFoundation topics. Biology of aging / Teresa Dolinar. The history and demography of aging in the United States / Gail E. Souare, Linda S. Lloyd. Cultural diversity among elders in the US : meeting the challenge of the ethnogeriatric imperative / Gwen Yeo. Legal aspects of aging / Janet L. Lowder ... [et al.] The participation of cognitivelly impaired elderly in research / Sana Loue -- Topics in aging and public health.
- Enhancing cognitive fitness in adults 2011, SpringerMemory Enhancement Strategies: What Works Best for Obtaining Memory Goals? -- Mental and Physical Exercise as a Means to Reverse Cognitive Aging and Enhance Well-Being -- Consumer-Based Brain Fitness Programs -- Synapse: A Clinical Trial Examining the Impact of Actively Engaging the Aging Mind -- Meditation, Mindfulness, Cognition, and Emotion: Implications for Community-Based Older Adult Programs -- Keys to a Sharp Mind: Providing Choice and Quality Programming in a Retirement Community -- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of Montana: A Model of Successful University and Community Partnerships -- Closing the Generation Gap: Using Discussion Groups to Benefit Older Adults and College Students -- A Practical Guide to Senior Odyssey -- Spelling Clubs and Competitions for Older Adults: Language Boosting Within a Social Context -- Oral Life Review in Older Adults: Principles for the Social Service Professional -- Creative Writing Groups: A Promising Avenue for Enhancing Working Memory and Emotional Well-Being -- Peer-Led Memory Training Programs to Support Brain Fitness -- Cognitive Wellness for Diverse Populations -- The Role of Physical Activity in Cognitive Fitness: A General Guide for Community Programs -- Nutrition and Nutritional Supplements to Promote Brain Health -- Enhancing Healthy Cognitive Aging Through Theater Arts -- Coming Alive: Kairos Dance Theatre's Dancing Heart[TM] - Vital Elders Moving in Community -- Art, Museums, and Culture -- The Songwriting Works[TM] Model: Enhancing Brain Health and Fitness Through Collaborative Musical Composition and Performance -- Supporting Cognition and Well-Being in Older Adults with Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Pilot Intervention -- Early Memory Loss Clubs: A Novel Approach for Stimulating and Sustaining Cognitive Function -- Implementing the "I'm Still Here"[TM] Approach: Montessori-Based Methods for Engaging Persons with Dementia -- Kirtan Kriya Meditation: A Promising Technique for Enhancing Cognition in Memory-Impaired Older Adults -- Brain Brightening: Neurotherapy for Enhancing Cognition in the Elderly -- Neurons in Neighborhoods: How Purposeful Participation in a Community-based Intergenerational Program Enhanced Quality of Life for Persons Living with Dementia -- Experience Corps®: A Civic Engagement-Based Public Health Intervention in the Public Schools.
- Epidemiology of aging 2012, SpringerThe average age of the world's population is increasing at an unprecedented rate and this increase is changing the world. This 'silver tsunami' emphasizes the need to provide advanced training in epidemiology and increase the cadre of experts in the study of aging. This book is designed to summarize unique methodological issues relevant to the study of aging, biomarkers of aging and the biology/physiology of aging and in-depth discussions of the etiology and epidemiology of common geriatric syndromes and diseases. Contributing authors in the book represent many disciplines, not only epidemiology and clinical geriatrics, but also demography, health services, research, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, psychiatry, neurology, social services, musculoskeletal diseases and cancer. The aim of the book is to provide a broad multidisciplinary background for any student/researcher interested in aging. The material in the book is organized and comprehensive. It represents the most up-to-date information on the scientific issues in aging research written by academics who specialize in research and training in the broad field of aging.The structure and organization of the book reflects our course series in the Epidemiology of Aging starting with the broad issues of demography and methodology, and then addressing specific health conditions and geriatric conditions common to older persons.
- Epigenetics of aging 2010, Springer
- Essentials of clinical geriatrics. 7th ed. 2013, AccessMedicineClinical implications of the aging process -- The geriatric patient : demography, epidemiology, and health services utilization -- Evaluating the geriatric patient -- Chronic disease management -- Prevention -- Delirium and dementia -- Diagnosis and management of depression -- Incontinence -- Falls -- Immobility -- Cardiovascular disorders -- Decreased vitality -- Sensory impairment -- Drug therapy -- Health services -- Nursing home care -- Ethical issues in the care of older persons -- Palliative care.
- Evidence-based geriatric medicine 2012, WileyThe latest addition to the Evidence-Based Book series, Evidence-Based Geriatric Medicine provides non-geriatrician clinicians an overview of key topics central to the care of the older patient. This guide focuses on the management of common problems in the elderly taking into account their life situations as well as treatment of specific conditions. Leading geriatricians with expertise in evidence-based medicine utilize the best available evidence and present this information in a concise, easy-to-use, question-based format. Evidence-Based Geriatric Medicine is a unique guide to the optimum management of older patients." Fifty-five full-color narrated video clips on the companion DVD show you clinicians and patients performing the techniques described in the text.
- Exercise and physical functioning in osteoarthritis 2014, SpringerOsteoarthritis (OA) is among the top 10 of most disabling diseases in the Western world. It is the major cause of pain and disability among the elderly. This book provides a contextual review of recent research on neuromuscular factors and behavioral risk factors for functional decline in OA, with a special emphasis on explanatory mechanisms. In addition, the book discusses innovative approaches to exercise and physical activity in OA, derived from research on behavioral and neuromuscular risk factors for functional decline in OA. Recent research has shown that neuromuscular factors (such as muscle strength, joint laxity) and behavioral factors (such as avoidance of activity, depressed mood) predict pain and disability in OA. Furthermore, exercise and physical activity are among the dominant interventions aiming at reducing pain and disability, and innovative interventions targeting neuromuscular and behavioral interventions have been recently developed. This research has been published as separate papers, with the result that the field is in need of an integrative contextual review that puts the research into theoretical perspective.
- Fractures in the elderly 2011, SpringerPt. 1. The aging of bone and etiologies of fractures -- pt. 2. Perioperative management -- pt. 3. Common fractures in the elderly -- pt. 4. Rehabilitation, post-fracture evaluation, and prevention.
- Fundamentals of geriatric medicine 2007, Springer
- Geriatric anesthesiology. 2nd ed. 2008, SpringerThe practice of geriatric anesthesia / Jeffrey H. Silverstein -- Demographics and economics of geriatric patient care / Maria F. Galati and Roger D. London -- Theories of aging / Stanley Muravchick -- Ethical management of the elderly patient / Paul J. Hoehner -- Teaching geriatric anesthesiology to practitioners, residents, and medical students / Sheila J. Ellis -- Research priorities in geriatric anesthesiology / Christopher J. Jankowski and David J. Cook -- Alterations in metabolic functions and electrolytes / Michael C. Lewis -- Perioperative thermoregulation / Daniel I. Sessler -- Postoperative central nervous system dysfunction / Deborah J. Culley, Terri G. Monk, and Gregory Crosby-- Alterations in circulatory function / Thomas J. Ebert and G. Alec Rooke --The aging respiratory system : anesthetic strategies to minimize perioperative pulmonary complications / Rodrigo Cartin-Ceba ... [et al.] -- Operative debridements of chronic wounds / Andrew M. Hanflik ... [et al.] -- Preoperative risk stratificationand methods to reduce risk / Linda L. Liu and Jacqueline M. Leung -- Anesthetic implications of chronic medications / Tamas A. Szabo and R. David Warters -- The pharmacology of opioids / Steven L. Shafer and Pamela Flood -- Intravenous hypnotic anesthetics / Matthew D. McEvoy and J.G. Reves -- Inhalational anesthetics / Gary R. Haynes -- Relaxants and their reversal agents / Cynthia A. Lien and Takahiro Suzuki -- Management of regional anesthesia / Bernadette Veering --Fluid management / Jessica Miller, Lee A. Fleisher, and Jeffrey L. Carson -- Pain management / Jack M. Berger -- Anesthesia considerations for geriatric outpatients / Kathryn E. McGoldrick -- Sedaton and monitoring / Sheila R. Barnett -- Total hip replacement, joint replacement, and hip fracture / Idit Matot and Shaul Beyth -- Transurethral prostatectomy syndrome and other complications of urologic procedures / Daniel M. Gainsburg -- Thoracic procedures / Steven M. Neustein and James B. Eisenkraft -- Cardiac procedures / James H. Abernathy III -- Vascular procedures / Leanne Groban and Sylvia Y. Dolinski -- Abdominal procedures / Jeffrey H. Silverstein.
- Geriatric imaging 2013, SpringerIn the elderly, the coexistence of various diseases, the presence of involutional and degenerative changes, and the occurrence of both physical and cognitive problems represent ""the norm."" It is therefore important to know how to distinguish the healthy elderly from those in need of treatment as a sound basis for avoiding overdiagnosis and overtreatment. This aspect is a central theme in Geriatric Imaging, which covers a wide range of applications of different imaging techniques and clearly explains both the potential and the limitations of diagnostic imaging in geriatric patients.
- Geriatric nutrition 2007, CRCnetBASE1. The aging society and nutrition epidemiology / Shailaja Pulisetty and John E. Morley -- 2. Molecular theories of aging and nutritional interventions / H.J. Armbrecht -- 3. The role of nutrition in the prevention of age-associated diseases / John E. Morley -- 4. Obesity in older adults / Gary A. Wittert -- 5. Sarcopenia and cachexia / John E. Morley and Matthew T. Haren -- 6. Immunity and nutrition / Chantri Trinh -- 7. Nutritional requirements in older adults / David R. Thomas -- 8. Energy balance / John E. Morley -- 9. Water metabolism / David R. Thomas and John E. Morley -- 10. Vitamin disorders / Ramzi R. Hajjar and Zeina Nahhas -- 11. Trace elements / John E. Morley -- 12. Nutritional assessment in older persons / David R. Thomas -- 13. Geriatric assessment and its interaction with nutrition / Julie K. Gammack -- 14. Nutritional assessment in the European community / Juergen Martin Bauer and Dorothee Volkert -- 15. The oral cavity and nutrition / Nathalia Garcia and D. Douglas Miley -- 16. Management of protein-energy undernutrition in older adults / David R. Thomas -- 17. Prescription for enteral nutrition / Zareen Syed and Syed H. Tariq.
- Geriatric oncology 2009, SpringerAging and cancer, what oncologists need to know / Arti Hurria, Lodovico Balducci -- Assessing the older cancer patient / Melissa Cohen, David Reuben, Arash Naeim -- Cancer screening in older adults / Louise C. Walter -- Physiological consequences of aging / Bindu Kanapuru, William B. Ershler -- Assessment and impact of comorbidity in older adults with cancer / Athanasios Karampeasiz, Martine Extermann -- Geriatric syndromes defined and explained for oncology practice / Miriam B. Rodin -- Family caregivers / Betty R. Ferrell, Polly Mazanec -- Surgical management of the older patient with cancer / David M. Heimann, M. Margaret Kemeny -- Chemotherapy for the older adult with cancer / Supriya Mohile, Nail Nagovskiy, Lodovico Balducci -- Radiation therapy in geriatric oncology / Sarah E. Hoffe, Mark S. Russell -- Palliative care, special considerations for older adults with cancer / Genevieve N. Thompson, Harvey M. Chochinov.
- Geriatric ophthalmology 2009, SpringerScope of the problem and demographic shift in population: visual disease incidence and prevalence in the elderly population -- Refractive error in the geriatric population -- Cataracts and cataract surgery -- Glaucoma in the elderly -- Diabetic retinopathy and its management -- Age-related macular degeneration and its management -- Low vision: when vision fails -- Visual loss and depression -- Visual loss and dementia -- Visual loss and hearing loss -- Visual loss and falls -- Elder abuse -- Functional impairment and visual loss -- The research agenda-setting project (RASP) -- Screening for comorbidities -- Refer comorbidities.
- Geriatric physical therapy. 3rd ed. 2012, ScienceDirectGeriatric Physical Therapy offers a comprehensive presentation of geriatric physical therapy science and practice. Thoroughly revised and updated, editors Andrew Guccione, Rita Wong, and Dale Avers and their contributors provide current information on aging-related changes in function, the impact of these changes on patient examination and evaluation, and intervention approaches that maximize optimal aging. Chapters emphasize evidence-based content that clinicians can use throughout the patient management process. Six new chapters include: Exercise Prescription, Older Adults and Their Families, Impaired Joint Mobility, Impaired Motor Control, Home-based Service Delivery, and Hospice and End of Life. Clinically accurate and relevant while at the same time exploring theory and rationale for evidence-based practice, it's perfect for students and practicing clinicians. It's also an excellent study aid for the Geriatric Physical Therapy Specialization exam. Comprehensive coverage provides all the foundational knowledge needed for effective management of geriatric disorders. Content is written and reviewed by leading experts in the field to ensure information is authoritative, comprehensive, current, and clinically accurate. A highly readable writing style and consistent organization make it easy to understand difficult concepts. Tables and boxes organize and summarize important information and highlight key points for quick reference. A well-referenced and scientific approach provides the depth to understand processes and procedures. Theory mixed with real case examples show how concepts apply to practice and help you enhance clinical decision-making skills. Standard APTA terminology familiarizes you with terms used in practice.
- Geriatric rheumatology 2011, SpringerPart 1. Aging and Comorbidity in Rheumatology -- The Immune System in Aging / Anjali Desai and Raymond L. Yung -- Bone Aging / Arthur N. Lau and Jonathan D. Adachi -- Atherosclerosis in the Rheumatic Diseases: Compounding the Age Risk / Naoto Yokogawa and Joan M. Von Feldt -- Neuropsychiatric Manifestations of Rheumatic Diseases in the Elderly / Jamal A. Mikdashi -- Tuberculosis and Rheumatoid Arthritis in the Elderly / Eduardo M. Acevedo-Vásquez, Darío Ponce de León and Rocío V. Gamboa-Cárdenas -- Widespread Pain in Older Adults / Cheryl D. Bernstein, Jordan F. Karp and Debra K. Weiner -- Part 2. Multidisciplinary Approach to Geriatric Rheumatology -- Pharmacotherapy Considerations Unique to the Older Patient / Keith A. Swanson and Mark A. Stratton -- Rheumatic Disease in the Nursing Home Patient / Joanne Sandberg-Cook -- Post-acute Care for Rheumatologists / Deborah W. Robin -- The Gerontorheumatology Outpatient Service: Toward an International Classification of Function-Based Health Care Provision for the Elderly with Musculoskeletal Conditions / Wim Van Lankveld, Josien Goossens and Marcel Franssen -- Health Policy, Public Health, and Arthritis Among Older Adults / Kristina A. Theis, Debra R. Lubar and Teresa J. Brady -- Physical Therapy Management of Select Rheumatic Conditions in Older Adults / Maura Daly Iversen and Madhuri K. Kale -- Arthrocentesis in the Elderly / Ahmed S. Zayat and Richard J. Wakefield -- Physical Activity in Older Adults with Arthritis / Dorothy D. Dunlop, Pamela A. Semanik and Rowland W. Chang --Part 3. Rheumatic Diseases in the Elderly -- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Elderly Populations / Ana M. Bertoli, Guillermo J. Pons-Estel, Paula I. Burgos and Graciela S. Alarcón -- Elderly Onset Rheumatoid Arthritis / Venkata Sri Cherukumilli and Arthur Kavanaugh -- Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drug Use in Older Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients / Sogol S. Amjadi, Veena K. Ranganath and Daniel E. Furst -- Epidemiology, Risk Factors, and Aging of Osteoarthritis / Crisostomo Bialog and Anthony M. Reginato -- Osteoarthritis in the Elderly Population / Roy D. Altman -- Medium- and Small-Vessel Vasculitis / Rafael G. Grau -- Management of Geriatric Gout / Lan X. Chen -- Calcium-Containing Crystal-Associated Arthropathies in the Elderly Population / Elisabeth B. Matson and Anthony M. Reginato -- Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell Arteritis in the Elderly / Wolfgang A. Schmidt -- Antiphospholipid Syndrome in the Older Population / Silvia S. Pierangeli, Alan M. Seif and Emilio B. González -- Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases of the Elderly / Lora Giangregorio and Alexandra Papaioannou -- Infectious Arthritis in the Elderly / Nicole Melendez and Luis R. Espinoza -- Sarcopenia and Myopathies in the Elderly / Kenneth S. O'Rourke -- Scleroderma in the Elderly Population / Rebecca L. Manno and Fredrick M. Wigley -- Sjögren's Syndrome in the Elderly / Raymond L. Yung and Sheeja Francis.
- Geriatric trauma and critical care 2014, SpringerGeriatric Trauma and Critical Care provides a multidisciplinary overview of the assessment and management of the elderly patient presenting with surgical pathology. By utilizing current literature and evidence-based resources, the textbook elucidates the unique nature of caring for the elderly population. The structure of the volume provides the reader with an overview of the physiologic and psychological changes, as well as the impact on the healthcare system, associated with the aging process. Emphasis is placed on the impact of aging, pre-existing medical problems, effects of polypharmacy, advanced directives and end-of-life wishes on acute surgical problems, including trauma and surgical critical care. Special attention is given to the ethical implications of management of the aged. The multidisciplinary contributors provide a unique point of view not common to surgical texts. The textbook is the definitive resource for practicing surgeons, emergency medicine physicians, intensivists, anesthesiologists, hospitalists, geriatricians, as well as surgical residents, nurses and therapists, all who care for elderly patients with surgical emergencies.
- Geriatric urology 2014, SpringerGeriatric urology represents one of the largest overall sectors of care provided within the specialty of urology. As the incidence and prevalence of many clinical urologic conditions increase significantly in older adults, the practice of urology involves a need for advanced knowledge of the basic principles of geriatrics. Geriatric Urology outlines important topics in the care of elderly urology patients. The first section covers the biology of aging, changes in the genitourinary system, and common diseases including urologic conditions that may serve as warning signs of other disorders. Section two covers geriatric syndromes and implications for urologic care including frailty, polypharmacy, dementia, , and wound healing. Urologic conditions in older adults are explored in detail including urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, urinary tract infection, nocturia, and benign prostate diseases. Other topics covered include obtaining informed consent, development of advance directives, palliative medicine and care of the dying patient. Geriatric Urology is of great value to urologists, geriatricians, internists, residents and family practitioners.
- Geropsychology and long term care 2009, SpringerPolicies and Reimbursement: Meeting the Need for Mental Health Care in Long-Term Care / Margaret Norris -- Referrals / Michael Smith -- Assessment / Barry A. Edelstein, Lynn E. Northrop and Lisa M. MacDonald -- Treatment Plans / Deborah W. Frazer -- Treatment Process / Michael Duffy -- Integration of Psychology, Psychiatry, and Medication in Long-Term Care / Lee Hyer and Shalija Shah -- Professional Practice: Disciplines, Documentation, and Outcomes Measurement / Merla Arnold, John C. Colletti and Nicholas C. Stilwell -- Ethical Issues in Long-Term Care / Michele J. Karel.
- Global clinical trials for Alzheimer's disease 2014, ScienceDirect
- Handbook of assessment in clinical gerontology. 2nd ed. 2010, ScienceDirectPart I Psychopathology later in life --Assessment of depression and bereavement in older adults /Barry A. Edelstein, Lisa W. Drozdick, Caroline M. Ciliberti --Assessment of anxiety in older adults /Cheryl Carmin, Raymond L. Ownby --Psychotherapy with older adults: the importance of assessment /Lee Hyer, Catherine Yeager, Renee Hyer, Ciera Scott --Assessment of personality disorders inolder adults /Thomas F. Oltmanns, Steve Balsis --Assessing psychosis in acute and chronic mentally ill older adults /Colin A. Depp, Casey Loughran, Ipsit Vahia, Victor Molinari --Dementia syndromes in the older adult /Carol A. Manning, Jamie K. Ducharme --Delirium assessment in older adults /Chricelyn M. Tussey, Donna K. Broshek, Bernice A. Marcopulos --Assessment of cognitive training /George W. Rebok, Jeanine M. Parisi, Alden L. Gross, Adam P. Spira --The assessment of elder abuse /Elizabeth J. Santos, Deborah A. King --Assessment of dementia family caregivers /Carey Wexler Sherman, Louis D. Burgio, Jennifer D. Kowalkowski --Assessment with late-life families: issues and instruments /Brian D. Carpenter, Elizabeth A. Mulligan --Part II Behavioral disorders --Screening, assessing and intervening for alcohol and medication misuse in older adults /Kristen Lawton Barry, Frederic C. Blow --Assessment and conceptualization of sexuality among older adults /Linda R. Mona, Gali Goldwaser, Maggie L. Syme, Rebecca P. Cameron, Colleen Clemency, Aletha R. Miller, Larry Lemos, Michelle S. Ballan --Nutrition in the elderly /Kathryn E. Brogan, K-L. Catherine Jen --Assessment of agitation in older adults /Jiska Cohen-Mansfield, Lori Schindel Martin --Assessing sleep problems of older adults /Tracy Trevorrow --Treatment adherence in late-life /Erin E. Emery, Erin L. Woodhead, Victor Molinari, Marcia G. Hunt --Part III Cognition --Geriatric neuropsychological assessment /John L. Woodard --Screening instruments and brief batteries for dementia /Benjamin T. Mast, Adam Gerstenecker --Cognitive assessment in late stage dementia /Cameron J. Camp, Michael J. Skrajner, Michelle M. Lee, Katherine S. Judge --Assessing the personal preferences of persons with dementia /Carol Witlatch --Part IV Everyday functioning --Assessment of capacity /Jennifer Moye, Michelle Braun -- Household and neighborhood safety, mobility /Catherine L. Lysack --Pain assessment and management in older adults /Theodore K. Malmstrom, Raymond C. Tait --Assessments in driver rehabilitation /Joseph M. Pellerito Jr.
- Behavioral and cognitive treatments for geriatric depression: an evidence-based perspective / Kathryn S. Moss and Forrest R. Scogin -- Treating generalized anxiety in a community setting / J. Gayle Beck -- Treating of late-life generalized anxiety in primary care settings / Gretchen A. Brenes, Paula Wagener, and Melinda A. Stanley -- Cognitive-behavior therapy for late-life insomnia / Kristen C. Stone, Andrea K. Booth, and Kenneth L. Lichstein -- Relapse preventions model for older alcohol abusers / Larry W. Dupree [et al.] -- Cognitive-behavioral pain management interventions for long-term care residents with physical and cognitive disabilities / P. Andrew Clifford [et al.] -- Reducing psychosocial distress in family caregivers / Ann M. Steffen, Judith R. Gant, and Dolores Gallagher-Thompson -- Integrated psychosocial rehabilitation and health care for older people with serious mental illness / Meghan McCarthy, Kim T. Mueser, Sarah I. Pratt -- Cognitive therapy for suicidal older adults / Gregory K. Brown, Lisa M. Brown, Sunil S. Bhar, Aaron T. Beck -- Cognitive therapy for older people with psychosis / David Kingdon, Maged Swelam, Eric Granholm -- Behavioral interventions to improve management of overweight, obesity, and diabetes in patients with schzophrenia / Christine L. McKibbin [et al.] -- Dialectical behavior therapy for personality disorders in older adults / Jennifer S. Cheavens and Thomas R. Lynch -- Treating persons with dementia in context / Jane E. Fisher [et al.] -- Cognitive-behavioral case management for depressed low-income older adults / Patricia A. Areán, George Alexopoulos, Joyce P. Chu -- Post-stroke depression and CBT with older people / Ken Laidlaw -- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for older adults with bipolar disorder / Robert Reiser [et al.] -- Meaning reconstruction in later life: toward a cognitive-constructivist approach to grief therapy / Robert A. Neimeyer, Jason M. Holland, Joseph M. Currier, Tara Mehta -- PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) in later life / Lee Hyer and Amanda Sacks -- Training of geriatric mental health providers in CBT interventions for older adults / Nancy A. Pachana, Bob Knight, Michele J. Karel, Judith S. Beck -- The role of positive aging in addressing the mental health needs of older adults / R.D. Hill and E. Mansour -- How Medicare shapes behavioral health practice with older adults in the US: issues and recommendations for practitioners / Paula E. Harman-Stein and James M. Georgoulakis.
- Handbook of clinical nutrition and aging. 2nd ed. 2009, Springer
- Handbook of geriatric nursing care. 2nd ed. 2003, Ovid"The Second Edition of this A-to-Z guide covers a wide range of areas of concern pertaining to the growing geriatric population. Completely reviewed, updated and expanded, it includes more than 150 illustrations and charts. This text invites readers to investigate more than 200 disorders and age-oriented issues, such as lab value changes, sexuality, grief and loss, alternative therapies and cultural influences on compliance, self-care and recovery. Comprehensive and easy-to-use, this manual covers Alzheimer's, cataract removal treatments, and many other new and expanded topics"--Book jacket.
- Handbook of models for human aging 2006, ScienceDirectHistorical development of animal models of aging / Richard L. Sprott and Steven N. Austad -- Species selection in comparative studies of aging and antiaging research / João Pedro de Magalhães -- Principles of animal use for gerontological research / Richard A. Miller -- from primary cultures to the aging organism: lessons from human T lymphocytes / Rita B. Effros -- Models of systems failure in aging / Leonid A. Gavrilov and Natalia S. Gavrilova -- Major issues in ethics of aging research / Michael D. Smith -- Ethical aspects of research involving elderly persons / Paul S. Mueller and C. Christopher Hook -- SAGE KE and other online sources related to aging / Evelyn Strauss and R. John Davenport -- Proteomics in aging research / Christian Schöneich -- Application of high-throughput technologies to aging-related research / Matt Kaeberlein -- Models of Alzheimer's disease / Harry LeVine III and Lary C. Walker -- Age-related hippocampal dysfunction: early Alzheimer's disease vs. normal aging / Scott A. Small -- Epidemiology in aging research / Hermann Brenner and Volker Arndt -- Statistical issues for longevity studies in animal models / Chenxi Wang ... [et al.] -- Models for the study of infection in populations / John R. Williams -- Estimation of the rate of production of oxygen radicals by mitochondria / Alberto Sanz and Gustavo Barja -- Telomeres and aging in the yeast model system / Kurt W. Runge --Longevity and aging in budding yeast / Matt Kaeberlein -- From yeast Methuselah genes to evolutionary medicine / Paolo Fabrizio and Valter D. Longo -- Strongyloides ratti: a nematode wth extraordinary plasticity in aging / Michael P. Gardner, David Gems, and Mark E. Viney -- Insect models for the study of aging / Klaus-Günter Collatz -- Drosophila models of aging / Satomi Miwa and Alan Cohen -- Models of aging in honeybee workers / Gro v. Amdam and Olav Rueppell -- Ants as naturally long-lived insect models for aging / Joel D. Parker and Karen M. Parker -- Gene expression and the extended longevity phenotypes of Drosophila melanogaster / Robert Arking -- Annual fish as a genetic model for aging / Pudur Jagadeeswaran -- The use of mature zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model for human aging and disease / Evan T. Keller, Jill M. Keller, and Gavin Gillespie -- Zebrafish as aging models / Shuji Kishi -- Telomeres in aging: birds / Susan E. Swanberg and Mary E. Delany -- Domestic and wild bird models for the study of aging / Donna J. Holmes and Mary Ann Ottinger -- A transgenic mini rat strain as a tool for studying aging and calorie restriction / Isao Shimokawa -- Rat models of age-related cognitive decline / Jennifer L. Bizon and Michelle M. Nicolle -- Aged rodents for biogerontology research / Nancy L. Nadon -- Life extension in the dwarf mouse / Andrzej Bartke -- The canine model of human brain aging: cognition, behavior, and neuropathology / P. Dwight Tapp and Christina T. Siwak -- Bats as a novel model for aging research / Anja K. Brunet-Rossinni and Rocco E. Rossinni -- Memory in the aging hippocampus: what can place cells tell us? / Iain A. Wilson -- The rhesus macaque as a model of human aging and age-related disease / Mary Ann Ottinger ... [et al.] -- Nonhuman primates as a models for reproductive aging and human infertility / Barry D. Bavister and Carol A. Brenner --Neurobiology of the aging brain / Carlo Bertoni-Freddari ... [et al.] -- Mitochondrial DNA and aging / Mikhail Alexeyev, Susan P. LeDoux, and Glenn L. Wilson -- Models for apoptosis: from newborn to adult / Christiane Charriaut-Marlangue and Sylvain Renolleau -- Age-related changes in hormones and their receptors in animal models of female reproductive senescence / Jacqueline A. Maffucci and Andrea C. Gore -- Models of chaperones in aging / Jens Krøll and J.O. Nehlin -- Therapeutic potential of stem cells in aging-related diseases / Shannon Whirledge, Kirk C. Lo, and Dolores J. Lamb -- Nuclear transfer and cloning: preservation or expansion of proliferative lifespan? / Keith E. Latham -- Human models of longevity / Thomas Perls -- Computational models of mitochondrial DNA in aging / David C. Samuels -- Mouse models of accelerated aging / Jan Vijg and Paul Hasty -- Models, definitions, and criteria of frailty / David B. Hogan -- Fertility and aging men: an introduction to the male biological clock / Peter N. Schlegel ... [et al.] -- Benign prostatic hyperplasia / Peter Celec -- Murine models of infectious diseases in the aged / Kevin P. High -- Studying infection in the elderly: physiopathology, clinical symptoms and causative agents of pneumonia / Jean-Paul Janssens -- Diabetes and aging / Tamas Fülöp ... [et al.] -- Diabetes as a model of premature aging / Arshag D. Mooradian -- Frailty as a model of aging / Jeremy d. Walston -- Osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease in the elderly / Samy I. McFarlane, John Nicasio, and Ranganath Muniyappa -- Depression in older patients / Kiran Rabheru --The aging human lung: age-associated changes in structure and function / Keith C. Meyer -- Iceland as a model for human aging / Adalsteinn Gudmundsson and Pálmi V. Jónsson -- Behavior and personality in the study of successful aging / Judith Corr and Loraine Tarou --Andropause / Rabih Hijazi and Glenn R. Cunningham -- Aging and the perceptual organization of sounds: a change of scene? / Claude Alain, Benjamin J. Dyson, and Joel S. Snyder -- Models of immune function in aging / Christopher a. Jolly and Zhun Xu -- Human T cell clones in long-term culture as models for the impact of chronic antigenic stress in aging / Graham Pawelec ... [et al.] -- Age-related changes in the human retina / Carlo Cavallotti and Nicola Pescosolido -- Models of age-related vision problems / J. Fielding Hejtmancik, Mark Kantorow, and Takeshi Iwata -- Health, functional and therapeutic implications of obesity in aging / R. Lee Kennedy and E.Y.H. Khoo -- Age and joints / Klaus Bobacz and Ilse-Gerlinde Sunk -- Sleep quality in the elderly / Ragnar Asplund -- Atherogenesis and aging / Cam Patterson -- Managing menopausal symptoms / Mary Ellen rousseau -- Psychological aging: a contextual view / Hans-Werner Wahl and Frieder R. Lang -- Nutrients and aging / Lawrence J. Whalley -- Methods for studying hearing impairment and auditory problems of the aged / Robert D. Frisina and D. Robert Frisina -- A mdoel for understanding the pathomechanics of osteoarthritis in aging / Thomas P. Andriacchi and Annegret Mündermann -- Aging and cardiovascular angiogenesis models / Andrew Chin ... [et al.] -- Models for the study of stroke / Thiruma V. Arumugam and Mark P. Mattson -- Werner syndrome as a model of human agiing / Raymond J. Monnat, Jr. -- Models of sarcopenia / Alfred L. Fisher -- Aging of human skin / Paolo U.Giacomoni -- Models of hypertension in aging / Jane F. Reckelhoff ... [et al.].
- Handbook of nutrition in the aged. 4th ed. 2009, CRCnetBASENutrition and electrolytes in the elderly / Marthe J. Moseley -- Vitamins and health in older persons / David R. Thomas -- Undernutrition and refeeding in elderly subjects / Patrice Brocker and Stéphane M. Schneider -- Nutrition and the geriatric surgery patient / Sheldon Winkler, Meredith C. Bogert, and Charles K. Herman -- The role of micronutrients in preventing infections in the elderly / Alia El-Kadiki -- Antioxidants and heart disease / Vijaya Juturu and Vidyasagar Sriramoju -- Cardiometabolic syndrome, diabetes and oxidative stress : focus on the aging population / Hussein Naji Yassine and Craig S. Stump -- Calcium and vitamin D in aging populations / Zhao Chen and Jeffrey Stanaway -- Lipid absorption in aging / Laurie Drozdowski ... [et al.] -- Caffeine and the older person / Hilary A. Wynne -- Vitamin K and health in the aged / Jennifer Truong and Sarah L. Booth -- The role of diet in slowing or accelerating aging / Saeed Hosseini and Reza Ghiasvand -- Nutrition and cancer prevention : an overview / Elaine B. Trujillo and John A. Milner -- Potential role of resveratrol in preventing inflammation and diseases associated with obesity and aging / Kathleen LaPoint and Michael K. McIntosh -- Health benefits of phytochemicals for older adults / Giuliana Noratto ... [et al.] -- Management of insulin resistance with Chinese herbs / Jianping Ye and Jun Yin -- Nutritional antioxidants and prevention of cataract / William G. Christen -- Herbal treatment of ischemia / Baowan Lin -- Can fruit and vegetable consumption oppose the negative health effects of tobacco? / Eliane Kellen and Geertruida E Bekkering -- Weight loss in elderly people / Aránzazu Aparicio ... [et al.] -- Food intake regulation and aging / Roger B. McDonald and Jessica Coppola.
- Handbook of pain relief in older adults. 2nd ed. 2011, SpringerPain, pain everywhere ... almost -- Assessment -- AGS 2009 guidelines for pharmacological management of persistent pain in older adults -- Spirituality as an adjunct to pain management -- The role of rehabilitation in managing pain in seniors -- Pharmacotherapy of pain in older adults: nonopioid -- Pharmacotherapy of pain in older adults: opioid and adjuvant -- Interventional strategies for pain management -- Pain management in long-term care -- The politics of pain: legislative and public policy issues -- The internet and electronic medical records to assist with pain relief -- Navigating pain care: trials, tribulations, and triumphs and resources to help -- Suggestions for change: education, policy, and communication.
- Handbook of the biology of aging. 6th ed. 2006, ScienceDirect
- Handbook of the psychology of aging. 6th ed. 2006, ScienceDirectConcepts, theory, and methods in the psychology of aging -- Biological and social influences on aging and behavior -- Behavioral processes and aging -- Complex behavioral concepts and processes in aging.
- Handbook on immunosenescence 2009, Springer
- Hazzard's Geriatric medicine and gerontology. 6th ed. 2009, AccessMedicineBiology of aging and longevity -- Genetics of age-dependent human disease -- Immunology and aging -- Inflammation and aging -- Demography and epidemiology -- International gerontology -- Psychosocial aspects of aging -- General principles of pharmacology -- Preventive gerontology: strategies for optimizing health across the life span -- Evaluation, management, and decision making with the older patient -- Principles of geriatric assessment -- Mental status and neurological examination in older adults -- Assessment of decisional capacity and competencies -- Principles of screening in older adults -- Health care system -- Transitions -- Acute hospital care -- Emergency department care -- Critical care -- Subacute care -- Nursing facility care -- Community-based long-term care and home care -- Rural aging -- Appropriate approach to prescribing -- Complementary and alernative medicine -- Team care -- Social work -- Self-management of health behavior in geriatric medicine -- Rehabilitation -- Pain management -- Palliative care -- Legal issues -- Spirituality -- Ethical issues -- Perioperative evaluation and management -- Anesthesia -- Surgical outcomes -- Nutrition and aging -- Weight and age: paradoxes and conundrums -- Malnutrition and enteral/parenteral alimentation -- Disorders of swallowing -- Oral cavity -- Assessment and rehabilitation of older adults with low vision -- Age-related changes in the auditory system -- Sex and gender across the human life span -- Menopause and midlife health changes -- Sexuality, sexual function, and the aging woman -- Gynecologic disorders -- Sexuality, sexual function, androgen therapy, and the aging male -- Benign prostate disorders -- Aging and homeostatic regulation -- Frailty -- Delirium -- Falls -- Sleep disorders -- Dizziness -- Syncope -- Pressure ulcers -- Incontinence -- Elder mistreatment -- Cellular and neurochemical aspects of the aging human brain -- Cognitive changes associated with normal and pathological aging -- Psychoactive drug therapy -- Cerebrovascular disease -- Dementia including Alzheimer's disease --Parkinson's disease and related disorders -- Other neurodegenerative disorders -- Traumatic brain injury -- Epilepsy -- Late-life mood disorders -- Schizophrenia -- General topics in geriatric psychiatry -- Management of agitation in dementia -- Effects of aging on cardiovascular structure and function -- Aging and atherosclerosis -- Coronary heart disease -- Valvular heart disease -- Heart failure -- Cardiac arrhythmias -- Peripheral vascular disease -- Hypertension -- Aging of the respiratory system -- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- Diffuse parenchymal lung disease -- Changes in kidney function -- Renal disease -- End-stage renal disease -- Disorders of fluid balance -- Effect of aging on gastrointestinal function -- Hepatic, biliary, and pancreatic disease -- Upper gastrointestinal disorders -- Common large intestinal disorders -- Constipation -- Oncology and aging: general principles -- Breast disease -- Prostate cancer -- Lung cancer -- Gastrointestinal malignancies -- Intracranial neoplasms -- Skin cancer -- Aging of the hematopoietic system -- Anemia -- White cell disorders -- Non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's lymphomas and myeloma -- Thrombosis -- Hemorrhagic disorders -- Aging of the endocrine system and selected endocrine disorders -- Thyroid diseases -- Diabetes mellitus -- Dyslipoproteinemia -- Hyperparathyroidism and Paget's disease of bone -- Aging of the muscles and joints -- Biomechanics of mobility -- Exercise: physiologic and functional effects -- Mobility -- Osteoarthritis -- Osteoporosis -- Hip fractures -- Myopathy, polymyalgia rheumatica, and temporal arteritis -- Rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases -- Back pain and spinal stenosis -- Primary considerations in managing the older patient with foot problems -- Fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndromes -- Infection in the elderly -- General principles of antimicrobial selection -- Pneumonia -- Urinary tract infections -- Human immunodeficiency virus infection -- Herpes zoster -- Influenza and respiratory syncytial virus.
- Health of aging Hispanics 2007, Springer
- Healthy longevity in China 2008, Springer
- How to manage pain in the elderly 2010, ebraryThe aging of America : the problem of pain in older adults -- Pain assessment in the older patient -- Pain medication management for older adults -- Complementary methods for pain relief -- Acute pain management -- Chronic pain management -- Interventional pain management for older patients -- Palliative care.
- How we die now 2013, ebraryHow we die now : Americans aging and dying in the twenty-first century -- The paradox of long-term care : we need it; we fear it -- Transitioning together : living, working, aging, and dying at Winthrop House -- Lessons from the end of life : what workers learn from helping others die -- Mutual interdependency : belonging, recognition, and the rewards of caring for one another.
- Human longevity, individual life duration, and the growth of the oldest-old population 2006, Springer
- Hypertension in the elderly 2005, SpringerThe importance of hypertension in the geriatric population / Ray W. Gifford and L. Michael Prisant -- Age-related changes in the cardiovascular system / R. Clinton Webb and Edward W. Inscho -- Aging, arterial stiffness, and systolic hypertension / Joseph L. Izzo -- Pharmacological and pharmacodynamic alterations in the elderly: application to cardiovascular therapies / Domenic A. Sica -- Epidemiology of hypertension in the older patient / William B. Kannel and Peter W. F. Wilson -- Nonpharmacological trials in the older patient / L. Michael Prisant and Dean U. Harrell -- Clinical trials of hypertension in older patient / L. Michael Prisant -- Blood pressure measurement in the older patients with hypertension / Jose Ramiro Arias-Vera and William B. White -- Clinical evaluation of the elderly hypertensive / L. Michael Prisant and Thomas W. Jackson -- Hypertension in the elderly: endocrine causes of secondary hypertension / Carlos M. Isales -- Diagnosis and management of hypertensive renal and renovascular disease in the elderly / Wanpen Vongpatanasin and Ronald G. Victor -- Heart failure in the older hypertensive patient / L. Michael Prisant ... [et al.] --Management of ischemic heart disease in the older hypertensive patient: evaluation and management / Jan Laws Houghton -- Cerebrovascular disease in the elderly hypertensive / Fenwick T. Nichols, III -- Diuretics and beta-adrenergic blockers in the management of hypertension in the elderly / William C. Cushman -- Assessment of the role ace inhibitors in the elderly / Domenic A. Sica -- Use of angiotensin receptor blockers in the elderly / L. Michael Prisant -- Clinical trials with calcium antagonists in older patients with hypertension / William B. White and Sumeska Thavarajah -- Alpha-adrenoceptor blockers for management of hypertension in the elderly / James L. Pool -- Combination drug therapy in the elderly / L. Michael Prisant and Laura Lyngby Mulloy -- Attitudes regarding hypertension among older african-american adults / Wallace R. Johnson and Elijah Saunders -- Treatment of hypertension in the elderly diabetic patient / James R. Sowers and L. Michael Prisant -- Management of hypertension in older patients with arthritis / Sumeska Thavarajah and William B. White -- The clinician's role in improving therapeutic adherence and blood pressure control in older hypertensive patients / Brent M. Egan and Eni C. Okonofua.
- Immunology of aging 2014, SpringerAn Introduction on the old age and aging of the immune system -- The immune system, a marker and modulator of the rate of aging -- Age-associated alterations of pleiotropic stem cell and the therapeutic implication of stem cell therapy in aging -- A role for epigenetic modulation of the innate immune response during aging -- Basophil, eosinophil and neutrophil functions in the elderly -- Dendritic cells and dysregulated immunity in the elderly -- Natural killer cell immunosenescence and cancer in the elderly -- Pattern recognition receptors and aging -- Impact of ageing on T cell repertoire and immunity -- T cell mediated immunity in the immunosenescence process -- Biological and phenotypic alterations of T cells in aging -- T cells seen from the metabolic and aging perspective -- Age-related alterations in regulatory T cells -- Effects of aging on B cells -- The role of MicroRNAs in immunosenescence process -- Immunogenetics of Aging -- Aging immunity and infection -- Influenza infection in the elderly -- Optimising response to vaccination in the elderly -- Nutrition, immunity and aging -- Diet and immunosenescence -- Dietary Intake and impact of zinc supplementation on the immune functions in elderly: nutrigenomic approach -- Physiological and pathological role of reactive oxygen species in the immune cells -- Oxidative stress in aging -- Skin aging and the immune system -- Aging immunity and the impact of physical exercise.
- Immunosenescence 2013, SpringerThis book presents the first multi-disciplinary approach to the understanding of immune aging, or immunosenescence; it combines biological data and clinical observations with psychological, social, and behavioral perspectives and is thus a valuable and timely contribution to the literature in this area. Contributors, all eminent scholars in their respective fields, review thoroughly the state of the art in research that examines how psychological and behavioral factors influence the rate and extent of immune system aging.
- Immunosenescence 2012, Springer
- Improving oral health for the elderly 2008, SpringerPart I: Population health and well-being -- The aging U.S. population / Steven M. Albert -- The Oral disease burden faced by older adults / Ira B. Lamster and Natalie D. Crawford -- Social disparities in oral health and health care for older adults / Luisa N. Borrell -- Access, place of residence and interdisciplinary opportunities / Janet A. Yellowitz --Part II: Health and medical considerations -- Movement disorders in dental practice / Nina M. Browner and Steven Frucht -- Cognitive impairment / James M. Noble and Nikolaos Scarmeas -- Musculoskeletal conditions / Jennifer L. Kelsey -- Cardiovascular, cerebrovascular diseases and diabetes mellitus: co-morbidities that affect dental care for the older patient / Neerja Bhardwaj ... [et al.] -- Geriatric pharmacology: principles and implications for oral health / Brian C. Scanlan -- Management of alcohol and tobacco dependence in older adults / David A. Albert --Part III: Oral health and dental considerations -- Normal oral mucosal, dental, periodontal, and alveolar bone changes associated with aging / Stefanie L. Russell and Jonathan A. Ship -- The relationship between periodontal disease and systemic disease in the elderly / Dana L. Wolf and Panos N. Papapanou -- Caries, tooth loss, and conventional tooth replacement for older patients / Ejvind Budtz-Jørgensen and Frauke Müller -- Implant dentistry as an approach to tooth replacement for older adults / Hans-Peter Weber -- Saliva and the salivary glands in the elderly / Louis Mandel -- Mastication, nutrition, oral health and health in older patients / Angus W.G. Walls -- Orofacial pain and neurological disorders affecting the head and neck / Ali Makki and Susan Roche -- Oral pathology affecting older adults / David J. Zegarelli, Victoria L. Woo, and Angela J. Yoon --Part IV: Professional recommendations and future needs -- Educating the dental profession / Lynn M. Tepper -- Dental services among elderly Americans: utilization, expenditures, and their determinants / L. Jackson Brown -- Conclusion: interdisciplinary planning to meet the oral health care needs of older adults / Mary E. Northridge and Ira B. Lamster.
- Inevitable aging? 2008, Springer
- Infectious disease in the aging. 2nd ed. 2009, SpringerConcepts and principles of infections and aging -- Epidemiology of aging and infectious diseases -- Factors predisposing to infection -- Clinical features of infection -- Role and importance of functional assessment in infections -- Principles of antimicrobial therapy -- Common infections -- Sepsis -- Bronchitis and pneumonia -- Tuberculosis in older adults -- Infective endocarditis -- Intra-abdominal infections -- Infectious diarrhea -- Urinary tract infection -- Bacterial meningitis and brain abscess -- Osteomyelitis and septic arthritis -- Skin and soft tissues infections -- Herpes zoster -- Orofacial and odontogenic infections in the elderly -- Ocular infections -- Otitis externa, otitis media, and sinusitis -- Prosthetic joint infections in elderly patients -- Staphylococcal and enterococcal infections -- Fungal infections -- Viral infections -- Unique infectious disease problems -- Infections in the long-term care setting -- Infection control programs in nursing homes -- Infections in diabetes -- Vaccinations -- Nutrition and infection -- Sexually transmitted diseases -- Human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome -- SARS and West Nile virus.
- Inflammation, advancing age and nutrition. First edition. [1st ed.] 2014, ScienceDirectThe book provides a comprehensive overview to understanding the integrated impact of the concepts of cellular and molecular aspects, models, environmental factors, and lifestyle involved in premature aging. Additionally, it examines how functional food, dietary nutraceuticals or pharmacological compounds can reverse inflammation and premature aging based on personalized medicine. This book is a valuable resource for health professionals, scientists and researchers, nutritionists, health practitioners, students and for all those who wish to broaden their knowledge in the allied field.
- Interaction between neurons and glia in aging and disease 2007, Springer
- Life-span extension 2009, Springer
- The findings suggest that the U.S. public is not particularly worried about the gradual rise in the number of older Americans. Nearly nine-in-ten adults surveyed say that "having more elderly people in the population" is either a good thing for society (41%) or does not make much difference (47%). Just 10% see this trend as a bad thing.
- Longer life and healthy aging 2006, SpringerDisability and healthy life expectancy -- Individual healthy aging -- The family and healthy aging -- Community effects on healthy aging.
- Longevity and frailty 2005, Springer
- Management of breast cancer in older women 2010, Springer1. Background and Epidemiology -- Basic Science of Breast Cancer in Older Patients / Irmgard Irminger-Finger -- Tumor Biology and Pathology / Virginie Durbecq and Denis Larsimont Clinical Epidemiology and the Impact of Co-Morbidity on Survival / Adri C. Voogd, Marieke J. Louwman and Jan Willem W. Coebergh -- 2. Special Considerations in the Management of Older Women -- Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment / Margot A. Gosney -- A Practical Mini-Guide to Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment / Siri Rostoft Kristjansson -- Impact of the Physiological Effects of Aging on the Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Systemic Breast Cancer Treatment / Paul Hamberg, Maja J. A. de Jonge and Caroline M. Seynaeve -- Impact of Hormone Replacement Therapy on Breast Cancer / Toral Gathani and Valerie Beral -- Experiences of a Multidisciplinary Elderly Breast Cancer Clinic: Using the Right Specialists, in the Same Place, with Time / Anne Stotter, Mohammad Tahir, Robert S. Pretorius and Thompson Robinson -- 3. Therapeutics -- Mammographic Breast Screening in Elderly Women / Lynda Wyld -- Primary Endocrine Therapy for the Treatment of Early Breast Cancer in Older Women / Lynda Wyld and Daniel Hind -- Peroperative Radiotherapy / Roberto Orecchia, Giovanni Battista Ivaldi and Maria Cristina Leonardi -- General and Local Anesthetics / Bernadette Th. Veering -- The Surgical Management of Breast Cancer in Elderly Women / Malcolm W. R. Reed, Lynda Wyld and Riccardo A. Audisio -- Breast Reconstruction / Marcus J. D. Wagstaff, Malcolm W. R. Reed and Christopher M. Caddy -- Adjuvant Endocrine Therapy / Laura Biganzoli -- Adjuvant Chemotherapy / Sumanta Kumar Pal, Nilesh Vora and Arti Hurria -- Adjuvant Radiotherapy / Pierre G. M. Scalliet -- Prevention and Treatment of Skeletal Complications / Matthew C. Winter, Helen L. Neville-Webbe and Robert E. Coleman -- Medical Management of Advanced Disease / Hans P. M. W. Wildiers -- The Use of Chemotherapy in Elderly Cancer Patients: Dose Adjusting, Drug Interactions, and Polypharmacy / Lazzaro Repetto and Claudia Di Bartolomeo -- 4. Psychosocial Considerations -- Delayed Presentation of Breast Cancer in Older Women / Lindsay J. L. Forbes and Amanda J. Ramirez -- Patient Decision Making / Martine Extermann -- Culture, Ethnicity, and Race: Persistent Disparities in Older Women with Breast Cancer / Antonella Surbone and Marjorie Kagawa-Singer -- Supportive, Palliative and End-of-Life Care for Older Breast Cancer Patients / Elaine Cachia, Ruth Broadhurst and Sam H. Ahmedzai.
- Management of cancer in older people v. 1-, 2013-, Springerv. 2 Springerv. 3 Springerv. 4 Springer
- Management of cancer in the older patient 2012, ScienceDirectSection 1. Screening/prevention -- section 2. Diagnosis/assessment -- section 3. Treatment -- section 4. Supportive care -- section 5. Rehabilitation/survivorship -- section 6. Special issues.
- Management of colorectal cancers in older people 2013, SpringerThe risk of cancer increases with age and the number of older adults seeking treatment is rising dramatically in line with the aging population. The care of older patients differs from that of younger adults because of variation in the biology of the tumor, age-related variation in host physiology, co-morbidity burden and psychosocial issues, which might impact the efficacy and side effects of cancer therapy. Management of Colorectal Cancers in Older People focuses on treatment strategies of colorectal cancers and provides guidance on the issues specific to older patients, spanning background and epidemiology, special considerations in the care of older people, therapeutics, and psychosocial considerations. This book offers a thorough review of current approaches to treating older colorectal cancer patients, detailing the special issues and considerations involved. The discipline-spanning coverage outlines best practice and proposes topics for future research. The third volume in the Management of Cancer in Older People series, this book will be of interest to all surgical oncologists, medical and radiation oncologists, gerontologists, proctologists and other members of the multidisciplinary team involved in the care of elderly colorectal cancer patients.
- Management of lung cancer in older people 2013, SpringerThis book aims to provide an up-to-date review of the literature in each of the major areas relating to the management of older lung cancer patients, and makes recommendations for best practice and future research. The authors come from a broad geographic spread including the UK, mainland Europe and North America to ensure a worldwide relevance.
- Management of urological cancers in older people 2013, SpringerThe risk of cancer increases with age and the number of older adults seeking treatment is rising dramatically in line with the aging population. The care of older patients differs from that of younger adults because of variation in the biology of the tumor, age-related variation in host physiology, co-morbidity burden and psychosocial issues, which might impact the efficacy and side effects of cancer therapy.Management of Urological Cancers in Older People focuses on treatment strategies of urological cancers and provides guidance on the issues specific to older patients, spanning background and epidemiology, special considerations in the care of older people, therapeutics, and psychosocial considerations. This book offers a thorough review of current approaches to treating older urological cancer patients, detailing the special issues and considerations involved. The discipline-spanning coverage outlines best practice and proposes topics for future research.This first volume in the Management of Cancer in Older People series will be of interest to all surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, gerontologists, urologists and other members of the multidisciplinary team involved in the care of elderly urological cancer patients.
- Managing renal injury in the elderly patient 2014, SpringerAs the number of people aged 65 years and above rises, physicians are increasingly confronted by elderly patients with impaired renal function, altered drug metabolism and multiple comorbidities. This book examines in detail the nature of renal injury in the elderly and its optimal management. A wide range of key topics are covered, including end-stage renal disease, diabetic nephropathy, acute kidney injury, drug metabolism and renal toxicity, dialysis and its complications and the use of renal transplantation. In addition, the assessment of glomerular filtration rate in the elderly and the role of novel renal biomarkers are carefully examined. Quality of life issues, the significance of other age-related medical problems and end of life care are also discussed. This book will be of value not only to nephrologists but also to general practitioners, medical students, intensivists, cardiologists, pharmacologists and those working in related specialties.
- Manual of geriatric anesthesia 2013, SpringerThe Manual of Geriatric Anesthesia is a practical guide for physicians, residents, and students interested in the care of the elderly patient undergoing surgery. Although primarily written for anesthesiologists, other perioperative physicians and nurses will also find the information highly valuable. Highlights of the text include concise and clear discussions of preoperative assessment, anesthetic administration, the immediate postoperative care, as well as the more classic 'geriatric' topics such as the hip fracture patient, cataract surgery, postoperative delirium, dementia, ethics and end of life care. Clinical geriatric principles are woven into the text so that the reader can develop skills in geriatrics and develop a broader understanding of terminology and principles used in geriatric medicine.
- Many faces of health, competence and well-being in old age 2006, Springer
- Mechanisms of cardiovascular aging. 1st ed. 2002, ScienceDirect
- The role of hormesis in life extension by dietary restriction / E.J. Masoro -- Metabolic reprogramming in dietary restriction / R.M. Anderson, R. Weindruch -- Secrets of the lac operon: glucose hysteresis as a mechanism in dietary restriction, aging, and disease / C.V. Mobbs ... [et al.] -- Effects of dietary restriction on the expression of insulin-signaling-related genes in long-lived mutant mice / A. Bartke ... [et al.] -- Anti-inflammatory mechanisms of dietary restriction in slowing aging processes / T.E. Morgan, A.M. Wong, C.E. Finch -- Dietary restriction in the nematode caenorhabditis elegans / K. Houthoofd ... [et al.] -- Diet restriction in drosophila melanogaster / M. Tatar -- Dietary restriction in aging nonhuman primates / J.A. Mattison ... [et al.] -- Caloric intake and Alzheimer's disease: experimental approaches and therapeutic implications / G.M. Pasinetti ... [et al.] -- Can short-term dietary restriction and fasting have a long-term anticarcinogenic effect? / S. Klebanov.
- Medical decisions, estrogen, and aging 2008, Springer
- Medicare 2000, a profile 2003., Internet Archive
- Medication management in older adults 2010, Springer
- Membrane lipid signaling in aging and age-related disease 2003., ScienceDirect
- Microbiology and aging 2009, Springer
- Mild stress and healthy aging 2008, Springer
- Neuroimaging in dementia 2011, Springer
- Nursing care of the hospitalized older patient 2012, Wiley
- Nutrition and aging 2002, KargerThe Mitochondrial Genome, Aging and Neurodegenerative Disorders / D.A. Cottrell, D.M. Turnbull (Newcastle upon Tyne) -- Effects of Caloric Restriction on Gene Expression / R. Weindruch, T. Kayo, C.-K. Lee, T.A. Prolla (Madison, Wisc.) -- Early Life Effects on Aging / A. Aihie Sayer, C. Cooper (Southampton) -- Impaired Regulation of Energy Intake in Old Age / S.B. Roberts (Boston, Mass.) -- Aging and Body Composition / J.J. Kehayias (Boston, Mass.) -- Insulin Resistance: A Genetic Approach. Overview / M.T. Martinez Larrad, J.L. Gonzalez Sanchez, M. Serrano Rios (Madrid) -- Functional Changes in the Gastrointestinal System / S. Hirsch, M.P. de la Maza (Santiago) -- The Impact of Nutrition on Bone Health: New Concepts / P. Burckhardt (Lausanne) -- Nutrition and Cognition in Older Persons / J.E. Morley (St. Louis, Mo.) -- Known Related Effects of Nutrition on Aging Muscle Function / H. Payette (Sherbrooke) -- Exercise, Sarcopenia, Cognition, and Mood / R. Roubenoff (Boston, Mass.) -- The 2001 Assessment of Nutritional Influences on Risk of Cataract / A. Taylor, M. Hobbs (Boston, Mass.) -- Age-Related Changes in Hydration / M.J. Arnaud (Vittel) -- Nutrition and the Aging Immune Response / 0. Adolfsson, S.N. Meydani (Boston, Mass.) -- Physical Assessment for Aging Prediction / M. Ferry (Valence), B. Lesourd (Clermont-Ferrand), P. Pftizenmeyer (Dijon) -- Rationale for Tests of the Neuropsychiatric Effects of Nutrient Deficiency / M. Folstein, T. Scott (Boston, Mass.).
- Ophthalmology and the ageing society 2013, Springer
- Osteoporosis in older persons 2009, Springer
- Oxidative stress in aging 2008, Springer
- Pathology of the aging human nervous system. 2nd ed. 2001, MyiLibrary
- Pharmacological mechanisms in Alzheimer's therapeutics 2008, Springer
- Practical guide to the care of the geriatric patient. 3rd ed. 2007, ClinicalKey
- Practice of geriatrics. 4th ed. 2007, MD ConsultGeneral issues in geriatric practice -- Systems of care in geriatric practice -- Prevention/rehabilitation -- Syndromes -- Neuropsychiatric disorders in geriatric practice -- Medical and surgical disorders.
- Pressure ulcers in the aging population 2014, SpringerPressure Ulcers in the Aging Population: A Guide for Clinicians is a resource primarily aimed at physicians interested in the fundamentals of wound care. This book is written for geriatricians, internists, general practitioners, residents and fellows who treat older patients. Unlike other wound texts on the market, the book addresses the specific issues of wound prevention and management in older individuals.The text emphasizes proper documentation and elements of the team care process. There is up to date information on skin changes at the end of life and the concept of unavoidability.Chapters are written by experts in their fields and include such evolving topics as deep tissue injury and the newer support surface technologies.
- Prevention and treatment of age-related diseases 2006, SpringerBiological causes of aging and age-related diseases /Suresh I.S. Rattan --Immunity, inflammation and infections during aging :the susceptibility to infections in elderly individuals /Miriam Capri, ... [et al.] --Progress and development in Parkinson disease therapy /Carsten R. Bjarkam and Jens C. Sørensen --Understanding and treating Alzheimer's disease /Umesh Kumar, Alexander Roland and Stephen A. Burbidge --Slowing down age-related muscle loss and sarcopenia /P. Noirez and G. Butler-Browne --Pathophysiology, prevention and treatment of age-related osteoporosis in women /Moustapha Kassem and Kim Brixen --Arthritis and its treatment /Ashit Syngle --Recent developments in the treatment of diabetes Type 2 /Jan O. Nehlen --Age-related cataract :management and prevention /Mayank A. Nanavaty, Abhay R. Vasavada and P.D. Gupta --Skin aging :pathogenesis, prevention and treatment /Mary S. Jung, Kristen M. Kelly and Jerry L. McCullough --Aging and periodontal disease /R. Suresh --Molecular diagnosis of breast cancer /Lise Lotte Hansen --Prostate disease in the aging male :prevention, diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer /Anne R. Simoneau --Human premature aging diseases :molecular biology to clinical diagnosis /Dai-Di Gan, ... [et al.] --Protein aggregation in aging and age-related neurodegenerative disorders /Jeffrey N. Keller and Qunxing Ding --Nutritional deficiency and its modulation in old age /Carlos K.B. Ferrari --Dietary fats and age-related diseases /Kaustuv Bhattacharya and Suresh I.S. Rattan.
- Primer of geriatric urology 2013, SpringerPrimer of Geriatric Urology provides a review of the demographics of our aging urologic population and their unique needs. Chapters review alterations that must be considered in the initial evaluation of the aging patient, and follow with practical suggestions for development of the management plan, whether by counseling, medication, invasive procedure or foregoing procedures. Complications, especially likely in the elderly, are also discussed. The volume also provides a review of the use of necessary adjunctive services such as home care or hospice in the context of Medicare in the USA. An important chapter provides hints on urology practice in a nursing home. The volume concludes with analysis of specific geriatric entities seen in urology practice. Primer of Geriatric Urology will be of great value to urologists, residents, fellows and allied health professionals including physician's assistants and nurse practitioners who treat urologic patients. Additionally, this book will also be of interest to primary care providers who treat elderly patients with urologic problems.
- Principles and practice of geriatric surgery. 2nd ed. 2011, Springer
- Protein phosphorylation in aging and age-related disease. 1st ed. 2004., ScienceDirect
- Psychodynamic perspectives on aging and illness 2009, SpringerWhen the body intrudes: psychotherapy with older and medically ill adults -- Technology, idealization, and unconscious dynamics in the culture of medicine -- Trauma of medical illness -- Narcissistic aspects of aging and illness -- Transference and countertransference in aging and illness -- Self-destructive behaviors, masochistic dynamics, and illness -- Cognitive changes and implications for the therapeutic encounter -- What we know and what we don't: the influence of psychological factors on medical illness -- Hope and grief: the introduction of an emotional language.
- Quality of life in old age 2007, Springer
- Recent advances in psychology and aging. 1st ed. 2004., ScienceDirectAging and the seven sins of memory / Benton H. Pierce, Jon S. Simons and Daniel L. Schacter -- Age-related changes in visual attention / David J. Madden and Wythe L. Whiting -- Studies of aging, hypertension and cognitive functioning : with contributions from the Maine-Syracuse study / Merrill F. Elias ... [et al.] -- A life span view of emotional functioning in adulthood and old age / Susan T. Charles and Laura L. Carstensen -- Personality and self-esteem development across the life span / Kali H.Trzesniewski ... [et al.] -- The evolving concept of subjective well-being : the multifaceted nature of happiness / Ed Diener, Christie Napa Scollon and Richard E. Lucas -- A cultural lens on biopsychosocial models of aging / James S. Jackson, Toni C. Antonucci and Edna Brown.
- Resilience in aging 2011, SpringerResilience: definitions, ambiguities, and applications -- Successful aging and resilience: applications for public health and health care -- Resilience and personality disorders in older age -- What do we know about resilience in older adults?: an exploration of some facts, factors, and facets -- Psychological resilience -- Physiological resilience -- Using the arts to promote resiliency among persons with dementia and their caregivers -- Promoting worker resilience over the lifecourse -- Resilience in aging: cultural and ethnic perspectives -- Civic engagement: policies and programs to support a resilient aging society -- Strengthened by the spirit: religion, spirituality, and resilience through adulthood and aging -- Resilience in chronic illness -- The relationship between resilience and motivation -- The association between resilience and survival among Chinese elderly -- Fostering resilience in dementia through narratives: contributions of multimedia technologies -- Building resilience in mild cognitive impairment and early-stage dementia: innovative approaches to intervention and outcome evaluation -- African-American caregivers finding resilience through faith -- The age-friendly New York City project: an environmental intervention to increase aging resilience -- Promoting resilience in small-scale, homelike residential care settings for older people with dementia: experiences from the Netherlands and the United States -- A geriatric mobile crisis response team: a resilience-promoting program to meet the mental health needs of community-residing older people -- Optimizing resilience in the 21st century -- Resilience in the workplace: job conditions that buffer negative attitudes toward older workers.
- Sarcopenia- age-related muscle wasting and weakness 2011, SpringerOverview of Sarcopenia -- Muscle wasting in cancer and ageing: cachexia versus sarcopenia -- Age-related remodeling of neuromuscular junctions -- Aging related changes motor unit structure and function -- Excitation-contraction coupling regulation in aging skeletal muscle -- Alterations in mitochondria and their impact in aging skeletal muscle -- Skeletal muscle collagen: age, injury and disease -- Nuclear apoptosis and sarcopenia -- Age-related changes in the molecular regulation of skeletal muscle mass -- Genetic variation and skeletal muscle traits: implications for sarcopenia -- Proteomic and biochemical profiling of aged skeletal muscle -- Exercise and nutritional interventions to combat age-related muscle loss -- Reactive oxygen species generation and skeletal muscle wasting, implications for sarcopenia -- Exercise as a countermeasure for sarcopenia -- Role of contraction-induced injury in age-related muscle wasting and weakness -- Role of IGF-1 in age-related loss of skeletal muscle mass and function -- Role of myostatin in skeletal muscle growth and development: implications for sarcopenia -- Role of beta-adrenergic signalling in skeletal muscle wasting: implications for sarcopenia -- Index.
- Self management of chronic disease 2009, Springer
- Sexuality and aging 2012, Springer
- Sleep and aging. 1st ed. 2005, ScienceDirect
- Stem cells. 1st ed. 2002, ScienceDirect
- Synaptic plasticity and the mechanism of Alzheimer's disease 2008, Springer
- To count our days 2013The gradual increase in longevity in the United States and elsewhere has already brought about a slow-motion revolution in nearly every sector of society, from health care to housing to employment. But if radical life extension moves from the realm of fantasy to reality, that revolution will pick up considerable speed. Extending human life spans beyond those of even the oldest of our ancestors would raise a host of new social, political, economic, environmental, moral and other questions. Religious organizations have traditionally played an important role in helping people think through end-of-life matters and respond to significant social changes. But since life extension has not made the journey from fantasy to fact, there has been little official or even quasi-official guidance in this area from churches and other religious groups.
- Understanding and preventing falls 2006, CRCnetBASE
- I. Magnitude of falls : a worldwide overview -- II. Active ageing: a framework for the global strategy for the prevention of falls in older age -- III. Determinants of active ageing as they relate to falls in older age -- IV. Challenges for prevention of falls in older age -- V. Examples of effective policies and interventions
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
Bookmark on other websites
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases