Books by Subject
- Acute care for elders a model for interdisciplinary care 2014, Springer1. An Introduction to the Acute Care for Elders / Michael L. Malone, Ji Won Yoo, and James S. Goodwin -- 2. The Team Approach to Interdisciplinary Care / Maryjo Cleveland, Carolyn Holder, Ariba Khan, and Aileen Jencius -- 3. Patient and Hospital Factors That Lead to Adverse Outcomes in Hospitalized Elders / Edgar Pierluissi, Deborah C. Francis, and Kenneth E. Covinsky -- 4. An Overview of Hospital-Based Models of Care / Elizabeth A. Capezuti and Marie Boltz -- 5. The Acute Care for Elders Unit / Robert M. Palmer and Denise M. Kresevic -- 6. How to Develop, Start, and Sustain an Acute Care for Elders Unit / Ellen S. Danto-Nocton, Carolyn Holder, Rebecca Ramsden, Jonny Macias Tejada, Anita Steliga, and Karen Padua -- 7. How to Disseminate the ACE Model of Care Beyond One Unit / Roger Y. Wong, Marsha Vollbrecht, and Patti Pagel -- 8. How to Use the ACE Unit to Improve Hospital Safety and Quality for Older Patients: From ACE Units to Elder-Friendly Hospitals / Samir K. Sinha, Sandra Liliana Oakes, Selma Chaudhry, and Theodore T. Suh -- 9. ACE Unit Business Model / Kyle Allen, Peter DeGolia, Susan Hazelett, and Diane Powell -- 10. Models of Care to Transition from Hospital to Home / Ella Harvey Bowman, Kellie L. Flood, and Alicia I. Arbaje -- 11. What Is the Role of Hospitalists in the Acute Care for Elders? / Heidi L. Wald and Melissa L. P. Mattison -- 12. How to Improve Care for Seniors in the Emergency Department / Soryal Soryal, Marie Boltz, Scott Wilber, and Michael L. Malone -- 13. How to Improve Care for Older Patients in the Intensive Care Unit / Leanne Boehm, E. Wesley Ely, and Lorraine Mion -- 14. The Future of Acute Care for Elders / Kanwardeep Singh and Michael L. Malone.
- Advances in natural medicines, nutraceuticals and neurocognition 2013, CRCnetBASEPt. 1. Methodologies to measure cognition in natural medicine trials -- pt. 2. Vitamins and nutrients -- pt. 3. Essential fatty acids and neurocognition -- pt. 4. Herbal medicines, nutraceuticals and neurocognition.
- Age-related macular degeneration. 2nd ed. 2013, Springerpt. 1. Pathophysiology. Epidemiology of AMD / L. Ho, R. van Leeuwen, P. T. V. M. de Jong, J. R. Vingerling and C. C. W. Klaver -- Genetics / L. G. Fritsche, U. Friedrich and B. H. F. Wxeber -- Ageing of the Retina and Retinal Pigment Epithelium / M. E. Boulton -- The Complement System in AMD / P. Charbel Issa, N. V. Chong and H. P. N. Scholl -- Histopathology / A. Lommatzsch, S. Wasmuth, D. Pauleikhoff, F. G. Holz and A. C. Bird -- pt. 2. Clinical Manifestations. Early AMD / M. Dietzel, D. Pauleikhoff, F. G. Holz and A. C. Bird -- Clinical Manifestations of Choroidal Neovascularization in AMD / R. F. Spaide -- Geographic Atrophy / M. Fleckenstein, S. Schmitz-Valckenberg, J. S. Sunness and F. G. Holz -- pt. 3. Diagnostics. Fundus Imaging of AMD / R. F. Spaide -- Optical Coherence Tomography / S. Wolf -- Microperimetry / E. Midena and E. Pilotto -- pt. 4. Prophylaxis and Therapy. Nutritional Supplementation in AMD / A. D. Meleth, V. R. Raiji, N. Krishnadev and E. Y. Chew -- Laser Photocoagulation and Photodynamic Therapy / G. Soubrane -- Anti-VEGF Therapy: Basics and Substances / S. Grisanti, J. Lüke and S. Peters -- Anti-VEGF Therapy for AMD: Results and Guidelines / P. Mitchell and S. Foran -- Combination Therapies for the Treatment of AMD / M. Barakat, N. Steinle and P. K. Kaiser -- Treatment Approaches for Dry AMD / Z. Yehoshua and P. J. Rosenfeld -- Surgical Therapy / B. Kirchhof -- pt. 5. Rehabilitation. Reading with AMD / S. Trauzettel-Klosinski -- Low Vision Aids in AMD / K. Rohrschneider.
- Ageing well nutrition, health, and social interventions 2007, CRCnetBASENutritional concerns in old age / Lisette C.P.G.M. de Groot and Wija A. van Staveren -- Regular exercise, the best investment for our old age / Marion E.T. McMurdo -- Major eye diseases of later life: cataract and age related macular degeneration / Astrid E. Fletcher -- Reminiscence in everyday talk between older people and their carers: implications for the quality of life of older people in care homes / Fiona Wilson ... [et al.] -- Retention of cognitive function in old age: why initial intelligence is important / Lawrence J. Whalley -- Health inequalities in old age in Britain / Elizabeth Breeze -- Demographic change, family support, and ageing well: developed country perspectives / Emily M.D. Grundy -- Energy efficiency and health of older people / Paul Wilkinson -- Ageing, health, and welfare: an economic perspective / Charles Normand -- Methodological issues in assessing the cost-effectiveness of interventions to improve the health of older people / Damian Walker and Cristian Aedo -- Minimum income for healthy living: older people England 2005-2006 / Jerry Morris ... [et al.] -- Responding to increasing human longevity: policy, practice, and research / David Metz.
- Aging and age-related disorders 2010, SpringerPart 1. General Aspects of Aging -- Protein Redox-Regulation Mechanisms in Aging / Ufuk Çakatay -- Nitrosative Stress in Aging - Its Importance and Biological Implications in NF-κB Signaling / Predrag Ljubuncic, Einat Gochman and Abraham Z. Reznick -- Intervention with Multiple Micronutrients Including Dietary and Endogenous Antioxidants for Healthy Aging / Kedar N. Prasad -- Advanced Glycation End Products, RAGE, and Aging / Ravichandran Ramasamy, Loredana G. Bucciarelli, Shi Fang Yan and Ann Marie Schmidt -- Sirtuins and Mammalian Aging / Edward H. Sharman -- Estrogenic Modulation of Longevity by Induction of Antioxidant Enzymes / Jose Viña, Consuelo Borrás, Mari Carmen Gómez-Cabrera, Juan Gambini and Raul López-Grueso, et al. -- Mitochondrial Respiratory Function Decline in Aging and Life-Span Extension by Caloric Restriction / Shi-Bei Wu, Yu-Ting Wu, Chih-Hao Wang, Wan-Yu Lee and Yau-Huei Wei -- Methylglyoxal, Oxidative Stress, and Aging / Miklós Péter Kalapos, Kaushik M. Desai and Lingyun Wu -- Part 2. The Cardiovascular System -- Novel Strategies for Neurovascular Longevity During Aging / Kenneth Maiese, Zhao Zhong Chong, Jinling Hou and Yan Chen Shang -- Oxidative Stress in Vascular Disease / Isabelle Gorenne and Martin R. Bennett -- The Role of Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species Formation for Age-Induced Vascular Dysfunction / Andreas Daiber, Joachim Kienhoefer, Rebecca Zee, Philip Wenzel and Volker Ullrich, et al. -- Aging, Oxidative Stress, and Cardiovascular Disorders / Yi Shi, Giovanni G. Camici and Thomas F. Lüscher -- Oxidative Stress, Aging, and Cardiovascular Disease / G. Riccioni, V. Sblendorio and N. D'Orazio -- Antioxidation in Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases - An Effect of Polyphenols / Jun-ichi Suzuki, Mitsuaki Isobe, Ryuichi Morishita and Ryozo Nagai -- Vascular Aging and Oxidative Stress: Hormesis and Adaptive Cellular Pathways / Nathalie Thorin-Trescases and Eric Thorin -- Role of Oxidative Stress in Mediating Elevated Blood Pressure with Aging / Julio Sartori Valinotti, Licy Yanes and Jane F. Reckelhoff -- Part 3. The Nervous System -- Melatonin, Oxidative Stress, and the Aging Brain / Stephen Bondy and Edward H. Sharman -- The SAM Strain of Mice, a Higher Oxidative Stress, Age-Dependent Degenerative Disease, and Senescence Acceleration Model / Yoichi Chiba, Atsuyoshi Shimada and Masanori Hosokawa -- Antioxidants Combined with Behavioral Enrichment Can Slow Brain Aging / Elizabeth Head -- Role of Nitric Oxide in Neurodegeneration and Vulnerability of Neuronal Cells to Nitric Oxide Metabolites and Reactive Oxygen Species / Debomoy K. Lahiri, Chandramallika Ghosh, Jack T. Rogers, Stephen Bondy and Nigel H. Greig -- Free Radical-Mediated Damage to Brain in Alzheimer's Disease: Role of Acrolein and Preclinical Promise of Antioxidant Polyphenols / Charles Ramassamy, Madeleine Arseneault and Dang Thanh Nam -- An Epigenetic Model for Susceptibility to Oxidative DNA Damage in the Aging Brain and Alzheimer's Disease / Nasser H. Zawia and Fernando Cardozo-Pelaez.
- Aging and chronic disorders 2007, Springer
- Aging and health-- a systems biology perspective 2015, KargerIntroduction to the theory of aging networks / Witten, T.M. -- Applications to aging networks / Wimble, C., Witten, T.M. -- Computational systems biology for aging research / Auley, M.T., Mooney, K.M. -- How does the body know how old it is? Introducing the epigenetic clock hypothesis / Mitteldorf, J. -- The great evolutionary divide : two genomic systems biologies of aging / Rose, M.R., Cabral, I.G., Philips, M.A., Rutledge, G.A., Phung, K.H., Mueller, L.D., Greer, L.F. -- Development and aging : two opposite but complementary phenomena / Feltes, B.C., De Faria Poloni, J., Bonatto, D. -- Aging as a process of deficit accumulation : its utility and origin / Mitnitski, A., Rockwood, K. -- Low-grade systemic inflammation connects aging, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease / Guarner, V., Rubio-Ruiz, M.E. -- Modulating mTOR in aging and health / Johnson, S.C., Sangesland, M., Kaeberlein, M., Rabinovitch, P. -- Melatonin and circadian oscillators in aging : a dynamic approach to the multiply connected players / Hardeland, R. -- Diet-microbiota-health interactions in older subjects : implications for healthy aging / Lynch, D.B., Jeffery, I.B., Cusack, S., O'Connor, E.M., O'Toole, P.W. -- Systems biology approaches in aging research / Chauhan, A., Liebal, U.W., Vera, J., Baltrusch, S., Junghanss, C., Tiedge, M., Fuellen, G., Wolkenhauer, O., Köhling, R. -- Conservative growth hormone/IGF-1 and mTOR signaling pathways as a target for aging and cancer prevention : do we really have an antiaging drug? / Anisimov, V.N.
- Aging and heart failure mechanisms and management 2014, SpringerThis book synthesizes the major research advances in molecular, biochemical, and translational aspects of aging and heart failure over the last four decades and addresses future directions in management and drug discovery. It presents clinical issues and molecular mechanisms related to heart failure, including the changing demographics in the aging population with heart failure; hypertension and prevention of diastolic heart failure in the aging population; polypharmacy and adverse drug reactions in the aging population with heart failure; changes in the heart that accompany advancing age from humans to molecules; aging-associated alterations in myocardial inflammation and fibrosis; and aging-related changes in mitochondrial function and implications for heart failure therapy. The book succinctly summarizes the large volume of data on these key topics and highlights novel pathways that need to be explored. Featuring contributions from leading clinician-scientists, Aging and Heart Failure: Mechanisms and Management is an authoritative resource on the major clinical issues in heart failure therapy in the elderly for cardiologists, gerontologists, and internists.
- Aging and lung disease a clinical guide 2012, Springer
- Aging and money reducing risk of financial exploitation and protecting financial resources 2014, SpringerIncreasingly, we hear of more and more elders falling victim to financial exploitation. Although this form of elder abuse has been recognized for years, its incidence, prevalence, and impact on the common individual has been only more recently brought to the spotlight. Despite these circumstances, recognition of risk factors and indicators of financial exploitation are not widely disseminated. Additionally, once situations are identified and confronted, the knowledge of what to do next is lacking. These gaps are present within the medical community, law-enforcement, and the finance community ? areas where opportunities for recognition and intervention are common. Our elders often have no idea of what to do when they see their own risk or when they fall victim. Aging and Money: Reducing Risk of Financial Exploitation and Protecting Financial Resources helps clinicians to integrate identification of such indicators of abuse into their geriatric assessment as well as guide them in performing an assessment of an individuals? financial decision-making capacity when appropriate. Aging and Money: Reducing Risk of Financial Exploitation and Protecting Financial Resources is an essential new text that provides the practicing clinician with information on identifying risk factors and clinical clues associated with financial exploitation and how to incorporate these steps into their practice.
- Aging and the heart a post-genomic view 2008, SpringerPost-genomic view of aging: definition, theories and observations -- Overview of cardiovascular aging -- Molecular and cellular methodologies: a primer -- Molecular and cellular phenotypes of cardiovascular aging -- Aging of the vasculature and related systems -- Aging and the cardiovascular-related systems -- Cardiomyopathy and heart failure in aging -- Atherosclerosis, hypertension and aging -- Metabolic syndrome, diabetes and cardiometabolic risks in aging -- Gender and cardiovascular diseases in aging -- Cardiac dysrhythmias and channelopathies in aging -- Genetics of life span: lessons from model organisms -- Profiling the aging cardiovascular system: transcriptional, proteomic, SNPs, gene mapping and epigenetics analysis -- Translational research: gene, pharmacogenomics and cell-based therapy in the aging heart -- Nutrition and exercise in cardiovascular aging: metabolic and pharmacological interventions -- Aging and the frontier ahead.
- Aging auditory system 2010, Springer
- Aging facts and theories 2014, KargerThe Commitment of human cells to senescence / R. Holliday -- Evolutionary theories of aging can explain why we age / E. Le Bourg -- Control of cell replication during aging / A. Macieira-Coelho -- Cell senescence : role in aging and age-related diseases / J. Campisi, L. Robert, -- Aging of cell membranes : facts and theories / I. Zs.-Nagy -- Oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction, and the mitochondria theory of aging / Y. Kong, S.E. Trabucco, H. Zhang -- Aging of connective tissues : experimental facts and theoretical considerations / J. Labat-Robert, L. Robert -- Aging of cell communication : loss of receptor function / L. Robert, T. Fulop -- On the immunological theory of aging / T. Fulop, J.M. Witkowski, G. Pawelec, C. Alan, A. Larbi -- Aging of the brain, dementias, role of infectious proteins : facts and theories / F. Morinet -- Aging as alteration / P.-A. Miquel -- Longevity and its regulation : centenarians and beyond / L. Robert, T. Fulop.
- Aging hair 2010, SpringerGerontobiology of the Hair Follicle / Desmond J. Tobin -- Molecular Basis of Androgenetic Alopecia / Valerie Anne Randall -- Inflammatory Phenomena and Fibrosis in Androgenetic Alopecia / Ralph M. Trüeb -- Post-Menopausal Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia / Steven Kossard -- Female Pattern Hair Loss / M. Javed Mohungoo and Andrew G. Messenger -- Hair Growth Parameters in Pre- and Postmenopausal Women / Paradi Mirmirani, Fangyi Luo, Scott R. Youngquist, Brian K. Fisher and James Li, et al. -- Comparative Histopathology of Androgenetic Alopecia, Diffuse Alopecia, and Senescent Alopecia / David A. Whiting -- Comparative Gene Expression Profiling of Senescent and Androgenetic Alopecia Using Microarray Analysis / Paradi Mirmirani and Pratima Karnik -- The Aging Hair Pigmentary Unit / Desmond J. Tobin -- Oxidative Stress Associated Melanocyte-Loss and Hair Growth Capacity in the Aging Hair Follicle: A Model for Tissue-Specific Aging / Eva M. J. Peters -- Human Hair Follicle Melanocytes as a Proxy Cell Type in Neurodegeneration Research / Nikolaos Papageorgiou, Elisabeth Carpenter and Desmond J. Tobin -- Effect of UV Radiation on Scalp and Hair Growth / Claudine Piérard-Franchimont, Pascale Quatresooz and Gérald E. Piérard -- Hair Photoaging / Won-Soo Lee -- Effect of Tobacco Smoking on Hair / Ralph M. Trüeb -- Age-Related General Problems Affecting the Condition of Hair / Ralph M. Trüeb -- Aging of Scalp and Age-Related Disorders of Scalp / Desmond Gan and Rodney Sinclair -- Care of Aging Hair and Photoprotection / Zoe Diana Draelos -- Possibilities and Limitations for Reversal of Age-Related Hair Loss / Nina Otberg, Isabel Restrepo and Jerry Shapiro -- Possibilities and Limitations for Reversal of Age-Related Pigment Loss / Ralph M. Trüeb -- Evidence-Based Hair Transplantation / Andreas M. Finner -- Future Directions: Gene Polymorphism Diagnostics Relevant to Hair / Justine A. Ellis -- Future Directions : The Known and Unknown Roles of Hair-Follicle Stem Cell Types / Robert M. Hoffman -- Future Directions: Bioengineering the Hair Follicle / Kurt S. Stenn, Ying Zheng and Jen-Chih Hsieh -- Hair After Death / Andrew S. Wilson and Desmond J. Tobin.
- Aging kidney in health and disease 2008, Springer
- Aging the paradox of life : why we age 2007, SpringerLongevity -- Body architecture -- Maintenance of the body -- Multiple causes -- The ancient origins of ageing -- Mice and men -- How many genes? -- The evolution of human longevity -- Myths of life extension -- Doctors' dilemma -- The modulation of longevity -- Ageing and the angels -- Longevity, population pressure and warfare -- Dialogue between life and death -- The road discovery -- Resolution of the paradox.
- The global impact of Alzheimer's disease / M.C. Carrillo, W. Thies, L.J. Bain -- The genetics of Alzheimer's disease / M.C. Schu ... [et al.] -- Current conceptual view of Alzheimer's disease / K. Herrup -- Neuropathological basis of Alzheimer's disease and Alzheimer's disease diagnosis / J.A. Schneider ... [et al.] -- Diagnostic tools : fluid biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease / H. Zetterberg, H. Hampel, K. Blennow -- MRI-and PET-based imaging markers for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease / S. Teipel ... [et al.] -- Changing diagnostic concepts of Alzheimer's disease / G.M. McKhann, M.S. Albert, R.A. Sperling -- Pharmacological treatment of Alzheimer's disease / L.S. Schneider -- Regulatory requirements on clinical trials in Alzheimer's disease / K. Broich ... [et al.] -- Perspectives on Alzheimer's disease : past, present and future / Z.S. Khachaturian.
- Alzheimer-- 100 years and beyond 2006, Springer
- American Psychiatric Publishing textbook of geriatric psychiatry. 4th ed. 2009, PsychiatryOnlinePart I: The basic science of geriatric psychiatry -- The myth, history, and science of aging / Dan G. Blazer -- Demography and epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in late life / Celia F. Hybels, Dan G. Blazer, and Judith C. Hays -- Physiological and clinical considerations of geriatric patient care / Robert M. Kaiser -- Neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, and neuropathology of aging / Warren D. Taylor, Scott D. Moore, and Steven S. Chin -- Chemical messengers / Jason D. Kilts ... [et al.] -- Genetics / Robert A. Sweet and Patricia A. Wilkosz -- Psychological aspects of normal aging / Ilene C. Siegler ... [et al.] -- Social and economic factors related to psychiatric disorders in late life / Linda K. George. Part II: The diagnostic interview in late life -- The psychiatric interview of older adults / Dan G. Blazer -- Use of the laboratory in the diagnostic workup of older adults / Mugdha Thakur and P. Murali Doraiswamy -- Neuropsychological assessment of dementia / Kathleen A. Welsh-Bohmer and Deborah K. Attix. Part III: Psychiatric disorders in late life -- Delirium / Michael A. Fearing and Sharon K. Inouye -- Dementia and milder cognitive syndromes / Constantine G. Lyketsos -- Movement disorders / Burton Scott -- Mood disorders / Dan G. Blazer, David C. Steffens, and Harold G. Koenig -- Bipolar disorder in late life / John L. Beyer -- Schizophrenia and paranoid disorders / Dilip V. Jeste, Nicole M. Lanouette, and Ipsit V. Vahia -- Anxiety disorders / Eric J. Lenze and Julie Loebach Wetherell -- Somatoform disorders / Marc E. Agronin -- Sexual disorders / Marc E. Agronin -- Bereavement / Moria J. Smoski and Larry W. Thompson -- Sleep and circadian rhythm disorders / Andrew D. Krystal, Jack D. Edinger, and William K. Wohlgemuth -- Alcohol and drug problems / David W. Oslin and Shahrzad Mavandadi -- Personality disorders / Thomas E. Oxman -- Agitation and suspiciousness / Harold W. Goforth and Lisa P. Gwyther. Part IV: Treatment of psychiatric disorders in late life -- Psychopharmacology / Benoit H. Mulsant and Bruce G. Pollock -- Electroconvulsive therapy / Richard D. Weiner and Andrew D. Krystal -- Nutrition and physical activity / Connie Watkins Bales and Martha Elizabeth Payne -- Individual and group psychotherapy / Thomas R. Lynch and Moria J. Smoski -- Working with families of older adults / Lisa P. Gwyther and Diane E. Meglin -- Clinical psychiatry in the nursing home / Joel E. Streim and Ira R. Katz -- The continuum of caring in the long term: movement toward the community / George L. Maddox and Elise J. Bolda. Part V: Special topics -- Legal, ethical, and policy issues / William E. Reichman ... [et al.] -- The past and future of geriatric psychiatry / Dan G. Blazer and David C. Steffens.
- Anemia in the elderly 2007, Springer
- Animal models of dementia 2011, Springer ProtocolsGeneral introduction to animal models of human conditions / Peter Paul De Deyn and Debby Van Dam -- Animal models of dementia : ethical considerations / I. Anna S. Olsson and Peter Sandøe -- The role of rodent models in the drug discovery pipeline for dementia / Debby Van Dam and Peter Paul De Deyn -- Species, strain, and gender issues in the development and validation of animal models of dementia / Annemie Van Dijck, Debby Van Dam, and Peter Paul De Deyn -- Transgenic and gene targeted models of dementia / Ronald A. Conlon -- Transgenic animals and intellectual property concerns / Susan L. Stoddard and James A. Rogers III -- Pathological validation of animal models of dementia / Daniel Pirici, Christine Van Broeckhoven, and Samir Kumar-Singh -- Behavioral validation in animal models of dementia / Debby Van Dam, Annemie Van Dijck, and Peter Paul De Deyn -- Pharmacological validation in animal models of dementia / Hugo Geerts -- Validation of animal models of dementia : neurochemical aspects / Giancarlo Pepeu and Maria Cristina Rosi -- Validation of dementia models employing neuroimaging techniques / Greet Vanhoutte, Adriaan Campo, and Annemie Van der Linden -- Drosophila melanogaster as a model organism for dementia / Maria E. Giannakou and Damian C. Crowther -- Caenorhabditis elegans as a model organism for dementia / Tjakko J. Van Ham and Ellen A.A. Nollen -- Zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model organism for dementia / Rob Willemsen ... [et al.] -- Spontaneous vertebrate models of Alzheimer dementia : selectively bred strains (SAM strains) / Renã A. Sowell and D. Allan Butterfield -- Lesion-induced vertebrate models of Alzheimer dementia / Adolfo Toledano and Maria Isabel Álvarez -- A[Beta] infusion and related models of Alzheimer dementia / Patricia A. Lawlor and Deborah Young -- APP-based transgenic models : the PDAPP model / Jacob M. Basak and David M. Holtzman -- APP-based transgenic models : the Tg2576 model / Robert M.J. Deacon -- APP-based transgenic models : the APP23 model / Debby Van Dam and Peter Paul De Deyn -- Presenilin-based transgenic models of Alzheimer's dementia / Yuji Yoshiike and Akihiko Takashima -- APOE-based models of "pre-dementia" / Patrick M. Sullivan -- TAU models / Nicolas Sergeant and Luc Buée -- The 3xTg-AD mouse model : reproducing and modulating plaque and tangle pathology / Michael Sy, Masashi Kitazawa, and Frank LaFerla -- Cognitive dysfunction in genetic mouse models of parkinsonism / Sheila M. Fleming, J. David Jentsch, and Marie-Françoise Chesselet -- Mouse models of metachromatic leukodystrophy and adrenoleukodystrophy / Patrick Aubourg, Caroline Sevin, and Nathatie Cartier -- Animal models of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis / Ludo Van Den Bosch -- Animal models of frontotemporal dementia / Hana N. Dawson and Daniel T. Laskowitz -- CADASIL : molecular mechanisms and animal models / Karl J. Fryxell -- Spontaneously hypertensive rat (SHR) : an animal model of vascular brain disorder / Francesco Amenta and Daniele Tomassoni -- Animal models of normal pressure hydrocephalus / Petra M. Klinge -- Animal models of traumatically-induced dementia / Jennifer E. Slemmer, Mohammad Z. Hossain, and John T. Weber -- Animal models of alcohol-induced dementia / Angela Maria Ribeiro and Silvia R. Castanheira Pereira -- Animal models of metallic dementia / Luigi F. Rodella.
- Animal models of human cognitive aging 2009, SpringerNormal and pathological aging: from animals to humans / Nicole C. Berchtold and Carl W. Cotman -- Nonhuman primate models of cognitive aging / Agnès Lacreuse and James G. Herndon -- Age-related effects on prefrontal cortical systems: translating between rodents, nonhuman primates, and humans / Mark G. Baxter -- Comparison of different cognitive rat models of human aging / Candi LaSarge and Michelle Nicolle -- Mouse models of cognitive aging: behavioral tasks and neural substrates / Michael E. Calhoun -- Impact of Aβ and Tau on cognition in mouse models of Alzheimer's disease / Maya A. Koike ... [et al.] -- Hormonal influences of brain aging and age-related cognitive decline / Danielle K. Lewis and Farida Sohrabji -- Timing deficits in aging and neuropathology / Fuat Balci ... [et al.].
- Atlas of geriatric dermatology 2014, SpringerThis is a comprehensive, practical, densely illustrated diagnostic and therapeutic guide for all geriatric dermatology providers. The book comprises 50 chapters and over 600 color photographs on topics ranging from common conditions such as basal cell carcinoma, rosacea, and seborrheic dermatitis to unusual conditions such as angiosarcoma, dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, and porphyria cutanea tarda. Sections include:- Inflammatory conditions (including contact dermatitis, alopecia, erythema multiforme, pemphigus, bullous pemphigoid, porphyria, pruritus, psoriasis, rosacea, seborrhea, urticaria.
- Behavioral neurobiology of aging 2012, SpringerEpidemiology of Cognitive Aging and Alzheimer's Disease: Contributions of the Cache County Utah Study of Memory, Health and Aging / Kathleen M. Hayden and Kathleen A. Welsh-Bohmer -- Successful Cognitive Aging / Colin A. Depp, Alexandria Harmell and Ipsit V. Vahia -- Behavioral Neuroscience of Emotion in Aging / Alfred W. Kaszniak and Marisa Menchola -- Studying the Impact of Aging on Memory Systems: Contribution of Two Behavioral Models in the Mouse / Aline Marighetto, Laurent Brayda-Bruno and Nicole Etchamendy -- Functional Neuroimaging Studies in Normal Aging / Leslie M. Guidotti Breting, Elizabeth R. Tuminello and S. Duke Han -- Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Aging and Dementia: Detection of Age-Related Cognitive Changes and Prediction of Cognitive Decline / John L. Woodard and Michael A. Sugarman -- Neuroanatomical Changes Associated with Cognitive Aging / Janice M. Juraska and Nioka C. Lowry. The Impact of Age-Related Ovarian Hormone Loss on Cognitive and Neural Function / Marissa I. Boulware, Brianne A. Kent and Karyn M. Frick -- Neuropsychological Features of Mild Cognitive Impairment and Preclinical Alzheimer's Disease / David P. Salmon -- Cerebrovascular Disease and Cognition in Older Adults / Gregory A. Seidel, Tania Giovannetti and David J. Libon -- Psychiatric Disorders in Ageing / C. Wijeratne, S. Reutens, B. Draper and P. Sachdev -- The Impact of Physical and Mental Activity on Cognitive Aging / Amy J. Jak -- Potential Benefits and Limitations of Enriched Environments and Cognitive Activity on Age-Related Behavioural Decline / Rosa Redolat and Patricia Mesa-Gresa -- Reproductive Experience may Positively Adjust the Trajectory of Senescence / Craig Howard Kinsley, R. Adam Franssen and Elizabeth Amory Meyer -- Treatment Trials in Aging and Mild Cognitive Impairment / Jody Corey-Bloom.
- Biological basis of geriatric oncology 2005, Springer
- Body composition and aging 2010, KargerContribution of adipose tissue to health span and longevity / Huffman, D.M., Barzilai, N. -- Obesity paradox during aging / Chapman, I.M. -- Central control of food intake in aging / Kmiec, Z. -- Changes in food intake and its relationship to weight loss during advanced age / McDonald, R.B., Ruhe, R.C. -- Changes in body composition in response to challenges during aging in rats / Wolden-Hanson, T. -- New haystacks reveal new needles : using Caenorhabditis elegans to identify novel targets for ameliorating body composition changes during human aging / Wolkow, C.A. -- Sarcopenia : prevalence, mechanisms, and functional consequences / Berger, M.J., Doherty, T.J. -- mTOR signaling as a target of amino acid treatment of the age-related sarcopenia / D'Antona, G., Nisoli, E. -- Mitochondrial theory of aging in human age-related sarcopenia / Parise, G., De Lisio, M. -- Exercise as a calorie restriction mimetic : implications for improving healthy aging and longevity / Huffman, D.M. -- Clinical, cellular and molecular phenotypes of aging bone / Syed, F.A. ... [et al.].
- Brocklehurst's Textbook of geriatric medicine and gerontology. 7th ed. 2010, ClinicalKey
- Calcium homeostasis and signaling in aging. 1st ed. 2002., ScienceDirect
- Caloric restriction a key to understanding and modulating aging 2002, ScienceDirect
- Calorie restriction, aging, and longevity 2010, SpringerPart 1. CALORIE RESTRICTION IN DIFFERENT SPECIES -- History of Caloric Restriction, Aging and Longevity / Edward J. Masoro -- Food Intake, Life Style, Aging and Human Longevity / Arthur V. Everitt, Leonie K. Heilbronn and David G. Le Couteur -- Okinawa: A Naturally Calorie Restricted Population / Matthew W. Rosenbaum, Bradley J. Willcox, D. Craig Willcox and Makoto Suzuki -- Aging and the Effect of Calorie Restriction in Rhesus Monkeys / Ilhem Messaoudi, Jennifer E. Young, Ricki J. Colman, April M. Handy and George S. Roth, et al. -- Dietary Restriction and Aging in Drosophila Melanogaster / Luc Poirier, Rafael de Cabo and Sige Zou -- Aging and Dietary Restriction: The Yeast Paradigm / Min Wei, Federica Madia, Rafael de Cabo and Valter D. Longo -- The Nutritional Geometry of Aging / Stephen J. Simpson and David Raubenheimer -- Part 2. BIOCHEMICAL AND METABOLIC MECHANISMS OF CALORIE RESTRICTION -- Oxidative Stress, Dietary Restriction and Aging / Brian J. Merry and Catherine E. Ash -- Calorie Restriction Mimetics and Aging / Brian J. Morris -- Will Calorie Restriction Stave Off Age-Related Brain Dysfunction, Specifically to Learning and Memory? A Review and Critique of the Rodent Literature / Edward L. Spangler, Jeffrey Long, Bennett Kelley-Bell, Marshall Miller and Robin K. Minor, et al. -- The Aging Liver and the Effects of Long Term Caloric Restriction / David G. Le Couteur, David A. Sinclair, Victoria C. Cogger, Aisling C. McMahon and Alessandra Warren, et al. -- Food Restriction, Hormones, Genes and Aging / Arthur V. Everitt, Holly M. Brown-Borg, David G. Le Couteur and Andrzej Bartke -- Hormesis as a Mechanism for the Anti-Aging Effects of Calorie Restriction / Suresh I.S. Rattan and Dino Demirovic -- Part 3. CALORIE RESTRICTION IN THE CLINICAL SETTING -- Calorie Restriction and Obesity / Krista A. Varady -- Caloric Restriction and Cardiovascular Disease / Anna Csiszar, Rafael de Cabo and Zoltan Ungvari -- The Effect of Caloric Restriction on Physiological, Psychological and Behavioral Outcomes in Humans: Results from CALERIE / Leanne M. Redman and Eric Ravussin -- Calorie Restriction and Cancer: An Update / Robin K. Minor, R. Michael Anson and Rafael de Cabo -- Conclusion: Human Calorie Restriction and Anti-aging Therapy / Arthur V. Everitt, Leonie K. Heilbronn, Brian J. Morris, Holly M. Brown-Borg and Brian J. Merry, et al.
- Cancer and aging from bench to clinics 2013, KargerChronic mechanistic target of rapamycin inhibition : preventing cancer to delay aging, or vice versa? / Sharp, Z.D.; Curiel, T.J.; Livi, C. -- Senescent cells and their secretory phenotype as targets for cancer therapy / Velarde, M.C.; Demaria, M.; Campisi, J. -- Cancer vaccination at older age / Gravekamp, C. -- Immunology of aging and cancer development / Fulop, T. ... [et al.] -- Metabolic syndrome and cancer : from bedside to bench and back / Extermann, M. -- Frailty : a common pathway in aging and cancer / Balducci, L. -- Targeting age-related changes in the biology of acute myeloid leukemia : is the patient seeing the progress? / Vey, N. -- Comprehensive geriatric assessment in oncology / Mohile, S.G.; Magnuson, A. -- Pharmacology of aging and cancer : how useful are pharmacokinetic tests? / Lichtman, S.M. -- Surgery in older cancer patients : recent results and new techniques : worth the investment? / Van Leeuwen, B.L.; Huisman, M.G.; Audisio, R.A. -- Organizing the geriatrician/oncologist partnership : one size fits all? practical solutions / Holmes, H.M.; Albrand, G. -- Geriatric oncology nursing : beyond standard care / Overcash, J. -- Exercise for older cancer patients : feasible and helpful? / Klepin, H.D.; Mohile, S.G. ; Mihalko, S. -- Aging and cancer : addressing a nation's challenge / Brochot, J.-M.; Le Quellec-Nathan, M.; Buzyn, A.
- Part 1. General Aspects of Care -- Invited Commentary / Ronnie A. Rosenthal -- The Epidemiology and Economics of Cardiothoracic Surgery in the Elderly / David A. Etzioni and Vaughn A. Starnes -- Principles of Geriatric Surgery / Mark R. Katlic -- Geriatric Models of Care / Elizabeth A. Capezuti, Patricia Ursomanno, Marie Boltz and Hongsoo Kim -- Delirium After Cardiac Surgery / James L. Rudolph -- Cardiac Rehabilitation in the Elderly / Carl I. Gonzales and Lois A. Killewich -- Legal Aspects of Geriatric Surgery / Marshall B. Kapp -- Ethical Issues in Cardiothoracic Surgery for the Elderly / Susan M. Hecker and Robert M. Sade -- Acute Pain Control in Geriatric Patients After Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeries / Jack M. Berger, Tawfik Ayoub and Jayeshkumar Patel -- Palliative Care in the Elderly / Geoffrey P. Dunn -- Cardiopulmonary Trauma in the Elderly / Jay Menaker and Thomas M. Scalea -- Imaging Features of the Normal Aging Chest / Carol C. Wu and Jo-Anne O. Shepard -- Cardiac Imaging in the Elderly / Faisal Nabi, Dipan J. Shah, Stephen H. Little and Su Min Chang -- Part 2. Physiologic Changes -- Invited Commentary / Michael E. Zenilman -- Biology of Aging / Huber R. Warner -- Hematologic Disorders in the Elderly / Ilene C. Weitz -- Anticoagulation in the Older Surgical Patient / M. Kate Elfrey and Susan J. Zieman -- Medication Usage in Older Cardiothoracic Surgical Patients / Richard A. Marottoli, Sean M. Jeffery and Roshini C. Pinto-Powell -- Wound Healing in the Elderly / Christopher G. Engeland and Praveen K. Gajendrareddy -- Pulmonary Changes in the Elderly / Keenan A. Hawkins and Ravi Kalhan -- Cardiac Changes in the Elderly / Wilbert S. Aronow and William H. Frishman -- Renal Changes in the Elderly / Carlos G. Musso and Dimitrios G. Oreopoulos -- Gastrointestinal and Liver Changes in the Elderly / Vadim Sherman, John A. Primomo and F. Charles Brunicardi -- Neurologic and Cognitive Changes in the Elderly / J. Riley McCarten -- Hormonal Changes During and After Cardiac Surgery / Marcello Maggio, Chiara Cattabiani and Gian Paolo Ceda -- Part 3. Cardiac Surgery -- Invited Commentary / William A. Baumgartner -- Preoperative Evaluation and Preparation in the Elderly Cardiac Surgery Patient / Joseph C. Cleveland -- Cardiac Anesthesia in the Elderly / Eric W. Nelson and James H. Abernathy -- Postoperative and Critical Care in the Elderly Cardiac Surgery Patient / Christopher J. Barreiro, Kerry J. Stewart and Glenn Whitman -- Surgery for Ischemic Coronary Disease in the Elderly / Margarita T. Camacho and Melissa L. Wong -- Surgical Treatment of Aortic Valve Disease in the Elderly / Vinod H. Thourani and Robert A. Guyton -- Surgical Treatment of Mitral Valve Disease in the Elderly / Maqsood M. Elahi and Kenton J. Zehr -- Surgical Treatment of Thoracic Aortic Disease in the Elderly / Arnar Geirsson -- Surgical Treatment of Pericardial Disease in the Elderly / Joshua Kindelan and Alberto de Hoyos -- Pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators in the Elderly / Luciana Armaganijan and Jeff S. Healey -- Heart Transplantation and Mechanical Assistance in the Elderly / Edwin C. McGee -- Part 4. Thoracic Surgery -- Invited Commentary / Joseph LoCicero -- Preoperative Evaluation and Preparation in the Elderly Thoracic Surgery Patient / Ticiana Leal, Noelle K. LoConte, Anai Kothari and Tracey L. Weigel -- Thoracic Anesthesia in the Elderly / Anne C. Kolker -- Postoperative and Critical Care in the Elderly Thoracic Surgery Patient / Brannon R. Hyde and Joseph B. Zwischenberger -- Adjuvant Therapy for Lung Cancer in the Elderly / Jared Weiss and Corey J. Langer -- Pulmonary Surgery for Malignant Disease in the Elderly / Sarah E. Billmeier and Michael T. Jaklitsch -- Benign Thoracic Disease in the Elderly / Rita A. Mukhtar and Pierre R. Theodore -- Lung Transplantation in the Elderly / Juan J. Fibla, Sandra C. Tomaszek and Stephen D. Cassivi -- Esophageal Surgery for Malignant Disease in the Elderly / Philip A. Rascoe and John C. Kucharczuk -- Esophageal Surgery for Benign Disease in the Elderly / Rose E. Hardin, Katie S. Nason and James D. Luketich -- Surgery for Mediastinal Disease in the Elderly / Cameron D. Wright -- Surgery for Pleural Disease in the Elderly / Raja M. Flores and Naveed Z. Alam -- Surgery for Chest Wall Disease in the Elderly / Daniel L. Miller -- Surgery of the Trachea and Bronchi in the Elderly / Douglas J. Mathisen and Ashok Muniappan.
- Cardiovascular disease in the elderly 2005, SpringerAging of the heart and arteries : relevance to cardiovascular disease / Samer S. Najjar and Edward G. Lakatta -- Frailty : keystone in the bridge between geriatrics and cardiology / William Russell Hazzard -- Cardiovascular risk factors in the elderly : evaluation and intervention / Susan J. Zieman and Beth R. Malasky -- Stable coronary artery disease in the elderly / Beth R. Malasky and Joseph S. Alpert -- Age and mortality and morbidity in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction / Steven P. Schulman and Gary Gerstenblith -- Unstable angina/non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction in the elderly / Stephen D. Wiviott and Christopher P. Cannon -- Percutaneous coronary intervention in the elderly / Michael J. McWilliams and Eric J. Topol -- Cardiac surgery in the elderly / David D. Yuh and William A. Baumgartner -- Heart failure in the elderly / Michael W. Rich -- Valvular heart disease in the elderly / Milind Y. Desai and Gary Gerstenblith -- Arrhythmia management in the elderly / Jonathan P. Piccini and Hugh Calkins -- Peripheral arterial disease in the elderly / Emile R. Mohler III and William R. Hiatt -- Cardiac rehabilitation in older cardiac patients / Philip A. Ades -- Clinical pharmacology / Janice B. Schwartz -- Medical treatment of the cardiac patient approaching the end of life / Lofty L. Basta, W. Daniel Doty, and Michael D.D. Geldart.
- Cell-based therapy for retinal degenerative disease 2014, KargerAge-related macular degeneration: clinical findings, histopathology, and imaging techniques / Zarbin, M.A.; Casaroli-Marano, R.P.; Rosenfeld, P.J. -- General pathophysiology in retinal degeneration / Wert, K.J.; Lin, J.H.; Tsang, S.H. -- Juvenile-onset macular degeneration and allied disorders / North, V.; Gelman, R.; Tsang, S.H. -- Diagnosis and complementary examinations / Menghini, M.; Duncan, J.L. -- Stem cells for retinal repair / Stern, J.; Temple, S. -- Differentiation of pluripotent stem cells into retinal pigmented epithelium / Croze, R.H.; Clegg, D.O. -- Neural retinal regeneration with pluripotent stem cells / Ramsden, C.M.; Powner, M.B.; Carr, A.-J.F.; Smart, M.J.K.; da Cruz, L.; Coffey, P.J. -- Stem cells, retinal ganglion cells and glaucoma / Sluch, V.M.; Zack, D.J. -- Stem cells : immunology and immunomodulation / Tena, A.; Sachs, D.H. -- Biochemical restoration of aged human Bruch's membrane : experimental studies to improve retinal pigment epithelium transplant survival and differentiation / Sugino, I.K.; Sun, Q.; Cheewatrakoolpong, N.; Malcuit, C.; Zarbin, M.A. -- Approaches to cell delivery : substrates and scaffolds for cell therapy / Kundu, J.; Michaelson, A.; Baranov, P.; Young, M.J.; Carrier, R.L. -- Microdevice-based cell therapy for age-related macular degeneration / Lu, B.; Tai, Y.-C.; Humayun, M.S. -- Cell and gene therapy / Rao, R.C.; Zacks, D.N. -- Cellular manufacturing for clinical applications / Sheu, J.; Klassen, H.; Bauer, G. -- Regulatory issues in cell-based therapy for clinical purposes / Casaroli-Marano, R.P.; Tabera, J.; Vilarrodona, A.; Trias, E.
- As people live longer and health care costs continue to rise and fewer doctors choose to specialize in geriatrics, how prepared is the United States to care for its sick and elderly? According to veteran psychologist Seymour Sarason's eloquent and compelling new book, the answer is: inadequately at best. And rarely discussed among the grim statistics is the psychosocial price paid by nursing home patients, from loneliness and isolation to depression and dependency. In "Centers for Ending", Dr. Sarason uses his firsthand experience as both practitioner and patient in senior facilities.
- Perspectives on General Aging / Robert J. Pignolo -- History of Geriatric Medicine / Mary Ann Forciea -- Palliative Care of Older Patients / Jennifer Kapo -- Home-Based Care of the Older Patient / Mary Ann Forciea and Jean Yudin -- Education of Health Professionals / Kathy L. Egan -- Dementia / Jason H. Karlawish -- Delirium / Jerry C. Johnson -- Falls / Lesley S. Carson -- Urinary Incontinence / Mary Ann Forciea -- Osteoporosis / Robert J. Pignolo -- Nutrition / Joan Weinryb -- Health Screening and Disease Prevention / Vivian S. Argento -- Osteoarthritis / Edna P. Schwab -- Pressure Ulcers / Mary Ann Forciea -- Depression / Monica K. Crane.
- Clinical cases in geriatric dermatology 2013, SpringerThe demographic imperative has reached the shores of dermatology. By 2020 those aged 65 years and older will comprise a quarter of the US population, and this percentage will be even more significant in less developed countries. As a specialty, dermatology needs to respond to this unprecedented demographic shift. Over the last few decades dermatology has enjoyed a sustained improvement in understanding of the basic science of skin biology and an increase in proven effectiveness of clinical interventions. As dermatologists, leadership must be in place to provide specialized care for older adults; dermatology should be at the forefront of prevention and treatment of skin diseases and be able to recognize the dermatologic signs of chronic systemic disease so often noted in our elderly.Clinical Cases in Geriatric Dermatology represents a practical tool in understanding the skin of older people and includes chapters on the common presentations of dermatologic disease in the elderly population. It presents practical information to assist in making the correct clinical decision. The concise case-based organization of this book will help those in dermatology training programs, but will also be a welcome revision tool for qualified and recertifying dermatologists.
- Colorectal cancer in the elderly 2013, SpringerAs the population ages, clinicians are facing an increasing number of elderly patients with colorectal cancer. Disease management in these patients poses a unique challenge as they have more comorbidities and lower functional reserves. In addition, the treatment goals may differ from those in younger patients. Appropriate management of elderly patients demands a greater understanding of not only the physiological changes but also issues related to the delivery of holistic care. This book discusses in depth the different aspects of management of colorectal cancer in the elderly. After the provision of pertinent background information on the normal physiology of aging, screening and diagnosis are discussed. Subsequent chapters focus on a range of issues associated with the surgical and perioperative care of these patients and with adjuvant treatment and palliative care. Each chapter provides helpful take-home messages in bullet point form, and numerous informative figures and tables are also included. The authors are surgeons, physicians, anesthetists, geriatricians, oncologists, and allied health professionals with extensive experience in the field.This book discusses in depth the different aspects of management of colorectal cancer in the elderly. After the provision of pertinent background information on the normal physiology of aging, screening and diagnosis are discussed. Subsequent chapters focus on a range of issues associated with the surgical and perioperative care of these patients and with adjuvant treatment and palliative care. Each chapter provides helpful take-home messages in bullet point form, and numerous informative figures and tables are also included. The authors are surgeons, physicians, anesthetists, geriatricians, oncologists, and allied health professionals with extensive experience in the field.
- Common sense guide to dementia for clinicians and caregivers 2013, SpringerWhat is dementia? -- Signposts : what to look for and when to seek help -- Finding help -- Preparing for a visit to the doctor -- Making the most of the doctor's visit -- The seven common senses of dementia care -- Caring for the caregiver -- Dementia medications -- Alternative therapies in dementia -- Alcohol and other substances -- Mood issues in dementia -- Psychosis -- Dealing with problem behaviors in dementia -- Legal and financial matters -- Selecting level of care -- Looking ahead : the later stages.
- Competence assessment in dementia 2008, Springer
- Complementary and alternative therapies and the aging population 2009, ScienceDirectBotanical and marine oils for treatment of arthritis -- Prolotherapy for chronic musculoskeletal pain -- Soy and cognition in the aging population -- Valerian and other CAM botanicals in treatment of sleep disturbances -- Botanicals and nutrition in the treatment of epilepsy -- Ginkgo biloba extract in prevention of age-associated diseases in elderly population -- Policosanol to manage dyslipidemia in older adults -- Health promoting benefits of chamomile in the elderly population -- Bamboo extract in the prevention of diabetes and breast cancer -- Cranberry and other dietary supplements for the treatment of urinary tract infections in aging women -- Black cohosh: chemopreventive and anticancer potential -- Integrating comprehensive and alternative medicine into stroke -- Socioeconomic aspects of the use of complementary and alternative medicine -- Noni (Morinda citrifolia) fruit as a functional food and dietary supplement for an aging population -- Botanical treatment for polycystic ovary syndrome -- Eggs and health: nutrient sources and supplement carriers -- Berries and cancer -- Flavonoids and cardiovascular health -- Ibogaine and the treatment of opiate addiction -- The potential of caffine for the inhibition of cognitive decline in the aged -- Five or more servings of fruit and vegetables each day for better health! -- Medicinal uses of vinegar -- Health-promoting effects of grape bioactive phytochemicals -- Isoflavones made simple - agonist activity for the beta-type estrogen receptor may mediate their health benefits -- Signal therapy: propolis and pepper extracts as cancer therapeutics -- Health benefits of traditional culinary and medicinal Mediterranean plants -- Quercetin: a potential complementary and alternative cancer therapy.
- Current diagnosis and treatment geriatrics. Second edition [2nd ed.] 2014, AccessMedicinePrinciples of geriatric care -- Transforming the care of older adults: knowledge, skills, & system change -- Consideration of function & functional decline -- Goals of care & consideration of prognosis -- The social context of older adults -- The interprofessional team -- Geriatric assessment -- Atypical presentations of illness in older adults -- Prevention & health promotion -- Principles of prescribing for older adults -- Addressing multimorbidity in older adults -- Geriatrics & palliative care -- Ethics & informed decision making -- Care settings -- Transitions and continuity of care -- Ambulatory care & the patient-centered medical home -- Providing quality care to older adults in the emergency department -- Hospital care -- Perioperative care in older surgical patients -- Long-term care, nursing home, & rehabilitation -- Home-based care -- The aging traveler -- Common conditions in geriatrics -- Delirium -- Cognitive impairment & dementia -- Cerebrovascular disease -- Parkinson disease & essential tremor -- Falls & mobility disorders -- Osteoarthritis -- Osteoporosis & hip fractures -- Coronary disease -- Heart failure & heart rhythm disorders -- Hypertension -- Valvular disease -- Peripheral arterial disease & venous thromboembolism -- Chronic venous insufficiency & lymphedema -- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- Gastrointestinal & abdominal complaints -- Constipation -- Fluid & electrolyte abnormalities -- Chronic kidney disease -- Urinary incontinence -- Benign prostatic hyperplasia & prostate cancer -- Thyroid, parathyroid, & adrenal gland disorders -- Diabetes -- Anemia -- Common cancers -- Depression & other mental health issues -- Sexual health & dysfunction -- Common infections -- Pressure ulcers -- Common skin disorders -- Sleep disorders -- Oral diseases & disorders -- Common clinical scenarios in geriatrics -- Evaluating confusion in older adults -- Addressing polypharmacy & improving medication adherence in older adults -- Managing persistent pain in older adults -- Considering anticoagulation in older adults -- Assessing antiaging therapies for older adults -- Considering complementary & alternative medicines for older adults -- Managing misuse of alcohol & psychoactive prescription medications in older adults -- Assessing older adults for syncope following a fall -- Treating headaches in older adults -- Managing vision impairment in older adults -- Managing hearing impairment in older adults -- Addressing chest pain in older adults -- Addressing dyspnea in older adults -- Managing joint pain in older adults -- Managing back pain in older adults -- Determining the appropriate use of exercise for older adults -- Defining adequate nutrition for older adults -- Helping older adults with low health literacy -- Understanding the effects of homelessness and housing instability on older adults -- Understanding the effects of criminal justice involvement on older adults -- Detecting, assessing, & responding to elder mistreatment -- Meeting the unique needs of LGBT older adults -- Broadening clinical practice -- Applying evidence-based medicine to older patients -- International perspectives in geriatric care -- Public policy intersecting with an aging society.
- Dementia in clinical practice 2009., KargerClinical investigations in primary care / de Souza, L.C. ... [et al.] -- The concept of mild cognitive impairment : relevance and limits in clinical practice / Michon, A. -- Pathological substrates of cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease / Giannakopoulos, P. ... [et al.] -- Functional imaging in mild cognitive impairment and early Alzheimer's disease : is it pertinent? / Ibáñez, V.; Deiber, M.-P. -- Electrophysiological markers of rapid cognitive decline in mild cognitive impairment / Giannakopoulos, P. ... [et al.] -- The future : new methods of imaging exploration in Alzheimer's disease / Nordberg, A. -- Pharmacological interventions in primary care : hopes and illusions / Assal, F.; van der Meulen, M. -- Investigations in primary care / Poggesi, A.; Pantoni, L. -- The concept of vascular cognitive impairment / Erkinjuntti, T.; Gauthier, S. -- Defining the neuropathological background of vascular and mixed dementia and comparison with magnetic resonance imaging findings / Gold, G. -- Is it possible to treat vascular dementia? / Zekry, D. -- Dementia with Lewy bodies : clinical diagnosis and therapeutic approach / Gold, G. -- Significance of brain lesions in Parkinson disease dementia and Lewy body dementia / Jellinger, K.A. -- Delineating dementia with Lewy bodies : can magnetic resonance imaging help? / von Gunten, A.; Meuli, R. -- Pharmacotherapy of Parkinson disease dementia and Lewy body dementia / Gauthier, S. -- Clinical features and diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia / Kertesz, A. -- Neuropathological spectrum of frontal lobe dementias / Kövari, E. -- Frontotemporal dementia neuroimaging : a guide for clinicians / Seeley, W.W. -- Frontotemporal dementia : therapeutic interventions / Mendez, M.F.
- Dementia in clinical practice a neurological perspective : pragmatic studies in the cognitive function clinic. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2014, SpringerThis concise, pragmatic, pocket-sized book addresses neurological contributions to the diagnosis and management of dementia through a longitudinal examination of the work undertaken in a dedicated neurological dementia clinic. It covers the use of cognitive and non-cognitive screening instruments and their diagnostic utility and the use of other diagnostic investigations: neuroimaging, neurophysiology and neuropathology. The diagnostic mix is discussed in terms of both neuropsychological syndromes and neurological diagnoses, as is the use of conventional treatments for dementia and the impact of national directives (e.g. NICE, National Dementia Strategy) on day-to-day clinical practice. Dementia in Clinical Practice: A Neurological Perspective, Second Edition is an illustrated, practical resource for medical professionals involved in the assessment and management of dementia patients. It is of particular benefit to neurologists, psychiatrists, geriatricians, primary care practitioners and those working in the fields of neuropsychology, psychology, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy and nursing.
- "As simple and straightforward as two health professionals conferring over the telephone or as complex and sophisticated as robotic surgery between facilities at different ends of the globe, telehealth is an increasingly frequent component in healthcare. A primer on the human factors issues that can influence how older adults interact with telehealth systems, Designing Telehealth for an Aging Population: A Human Factors Perspective examines the new ways patients and healthcare providers communicate to achieve the same or better outcomes than with traditional face-to-face healthcare.The authors examine older adult capabilities and provide standards and guidelines for telehealth design, enlivened by clinical examples and tutorials on human factors methodologies. They take a systematic look at how the use of human factors principles can facilitate the successful development, deployment, and maintenance of telehealth technology to better serve the aging population. The authors have carefully stayed away from academic writing, distilling their experience in the form of basic observations and principles drawn from their work. They include suggested readings at the end of each chapter that supply the research underpinning their recommendations. The first reference to cover older adult users in an area that will only get bigger, this book sets itself apart by providing focused coverage of the human factors issues specific to aging populations and practical advice on how to accommodate them"-- Provided by publisher.
- DHEA in human health and aging 2012, CRCnetBASE"Reduced production of DHEA associated with the diseases that accompany aging has led to its use as a nutritional supplement for antiaging, metabolic support, and other purposes. While animal studies have clearly shown substantial benefits of DHEA in combating various disease states, the effect of low levels of DHEA in humans is less established, and the mechanisms of action and potential involvement in illnesses remain unclear. DHEA in Human Health and Aging reviews the past ten years of research into this hormone and explores its potential for future study."--Publisher's description.
- Diabetes care for the older patient a practical handbook 2012, SpringerThe Epidemiology of Diabetes in Older People -- Type 2 Diabetes and Dementia -- Depression in Older People with Diabetes -- Hypoglycaemia and the Older Person -- Cardiovascular Risk, Glucose and Targets for Management of Diabetes in Older People -- Diabetes and Frailty -- Perceptions of Users and Carers in Supporting Diabetes Care: Practical Guidance, Support and Information for Carers -- Management of Elderly People with Diabetes in Primary Care.
- Diabetes, insulin, and Alzheimer's disease 2010, Springer
- Diagnosis of aging skin diseases 2007, Springer
- Disaster Preparedness for Seniors: A Comprehensive Guide for Healthcare Professionals outlines specific disaster scenarios for homebound, community, hospitalized, long term care, homeless and aged veterans. Chapters are written by a diverse group of authors, all of whom offer insight and expertise in training healthcare professionals in preparing for disasters. Topics include myths and realities of natural disasters and disaster preparedness for special populations of elders-the acute care elderly, the community-dwelling elderly, home based primary care senior veterans, the immune-compromised elderly, those with multiple and co morbid illnesses, the long-term care elderly, those elderly at the end of life and the effects of disaster on caregivers. A significant portion of the book is also devoted to training, competencies, literacy, cultural competency and resilience in disaster preparedness as well as the role of the academic medical center. The volume concludes with coverage of the management of behavioral, medical and psychological consequences of disasters. Disaster Preparedness for Seniors: A Comprehensive Guide for Healthcare Professionals is an important new volume and will serve as a guide for the development of programs, policies and procedures for evacuation of seniors during various disaster scenarios.
- Drug therapy for the elderly 2013, SpringerWith people aged 65 years and older currently making up the fastest growing age group throughout the world, the demographic revolution of an aging society will inevitably lead to increased pressure to develop a rationalistic and age-tailored process of diagnosis and treatment among the elderly. As aging people often suffer from several chronic diseases and are being treated with multiple medications concurrently, unwanted drug interactions occur more frequently. Whereas recent approaches have recommended to remove particular drugs from the medication regimen to avoid adverse effects, Drug Therapy for the Elderly underlines both indispensable and dispensable elements of drug treatment, providing the practitioner with:- Background information on the elderly population regarding their needs for particular drugs (with an eye to frailty, co-morbidity patterns, and special sensitivities regarding drug metabolism and excretion)- Practical advice about drug treatment surveillance parameters in the elderly- In-depth discussion of drugs in relation to the elderly with specific diagnoses- Integration of multimorbidity/polypharmacy situations into prioritization schemes- A plan for how to deal with the complexity of polypharmacy situations in a five-minute consultationAn original classification of drugs is proposed by the editor which relates the power of effects, prognostic data, and tolerability to a prioritization scoring system. This approach is the first to not only provide a negative listing, but also integrates positive data into an overall assessment for drugs fit for the aged. Therefore, Drug Therapy for the Elderly serves as a timely reference for a wide array of physicians.
- Drug-related problems in the elderly 2009, Springer
- Eldercare technology for clinical practitioners 2008, Springer
- Encyclopedia of aging and public health 2008, SpringerFoundation topics. Biology of aging / Teresa Dolinar. The history and demography of aging in the United States / Gail E. Souare, Linda S. Lloyd. Cultural diversity among elders in the US : meeting the challenge of the ethnogeriatric imperative / Gwen Yeo. Legal aspects of aging / Janet L. Lowder ... [et al.] The participation of cognitivelly impaired elderly in research / Sana Loue -- Topics in aging and public health.
- Enhancing cognitive fitness in adults a guide to the use and development of community-based programs 2011, SpringerMemory Enhancement Strategies: What Works Best for Obtaining Memory Goals? -- Mental and Physical Exercise as a Means to Reverse Cognitive Aging and Enhance Well-Being -- Consumer-Based Brain Fitness Programs -- Synapse: A Clinical Trial Examining the Impact of Actively Engaging the Aging Mind -- Meditation, Mindfulness, Cognition, and Emotion: Implications for Community-Based Older Adult Programs -- Keys to a Sharp Mind: Providing Choice and Quality Programming in a Retirement Community -- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of Montana: A Model of Successful University and Community Partnerships -- Closing the Generation Gap: Using Discussion Groups to Benefit Older Adults and College Students -- A Practical Guide to Senior Odyssey -- Spelling Clubs and Competitions for Older Adults: Language Boosting Within a Social Context -- Oral Life Review in Older Adults: Principles for the Social Service Professional -- Creative Writing Groups: A Promising Avenue for Enhancing Working Memory and Emotional Well-Being -- Peer-Led Memory Training Programs to Support Brain Fitness -- Cognitive Wellness for Diverse Populations -- The Role of Physical Activity in Cognitive Fitness: A General Guide for Community Programs -- Nutrition and Nutritional Supplements to Promote Brain Health -- Enhancing Healthy Cognitive Aging Through Theater Arts -- Coming Alive: Kairos Dance Theatre's Dancing Heart[TM] - Vital Elders Moving in Community -- Art, Museums, and Culture -- The Songwriting Works[TM] Model: Enhancing Brain Health and Fitness Through Collaborative Musical Composition and Performance -- Supporting Cognition and Well-Being in Older Adults with Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Pilot Intervention -- Early Memory Loss Clubs: A Novel Approach for Stimulating and Sustaining Cognitive Function -- Implementing the "I'm Still Here"[TM] Approach: Montessori-Based Methods for Engaging Persons with Dementia -- Kirtan Kriya Meditation: A Promising Technique for Enhancing Cognition in Memory-Impaired Older Adults -- Brain Brightening: Neurotherapy for Enhancing Cognition in the Elderly -- Neurons in Neighborhoods: How Purposeful Participation in a Community-based Intergenerational Program Enhanced Quality of Life for Persons Living with Dementia -- Experience Corps®: A Civic Engagement-Based Public Health Intervention in the Public Schools.
- Epidemiology of aging 2012, SpringerThe average age of the world's population is increasing at an unprecedented rate and this increase is changing the world. This 'silver tsunami' emphasizes the need to provide advanced training in epidemiology and increase the cadre of experts in the study of aging. This book is designed to summarize unique methodological issues relevant to the study of aging, biomarkers of aging and the biology/physiology of aging and in-depth discussions of the etiology and epidemiology of common geriatric syndromes and diseases. Contributing authors in the book represent many disciplines, not only epidemiology and clinical geriatrics, but also demography, health services, research, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, psychiatry, neurology, social services, musculoskeletal diseases and cancer. The aim of the book is to provide a broad multidisciplinary background for any student/researcher interested in aging. The material in the book is organized and comprehensive. It represents the most up-to-date information on the scientific issues in aging research written by academics who specialize in research and training in the broad field of aging.The structure and organization of the book reflects our course series in the Epidemiology of Aging starting with the broad issues of demography and methodology, and then addressing specific health conditions and geriatric conditions common to older persons.
- Epigenetics of aging 2010, Springer
- Essentials of clinical geriatrics. 7th ed. 2013, AccessMedicineClinical implications of the aging process -- The geriatric patient : demography, epidemiology, and health services utilization -- Evaluating the geriatric patient -- Chronic disease management -- Prevention -- Delirium and dementia -- Diagnosis and management of depression -- Incontinence -- Falls -- Immobility -- Cardiovascular disorders -- Decreased vitality -- Sensory impairment -- Drug therapy -- Health services -- Nursing home care -- Ethical issues in the care of older persons -- Palliative care.
- The latest addition to the Evidence-Based Book series, Evidence-Based Geriatric Medicine provides non-geriatrician clinicians an overview of key topics central to the care of the older patient. This guide focuses on the management of common problems in the elderly taking into account their life situations as well as treatment of specific conditions. Leading geriatricians with expertise in evidence-based medicine utilize the best available evidence and present this information in a concise, easy-to-use, question-based format. Evidence-Based Geriatric Medicine is a unique guide to the optimum management of older patients." Fifty-five full-color narrated video clips on the companion DVD show you clinicians and patients performing the techniques described in the text.
- Exercise and physical functioning in osteoarthritis medical, neuromuscular and behavioral perspectives 2014, SpringerOsteoarthritis (OA) is among the top 10 of most disabling diseases in the Western world. It is the major cause of pain and disability among the elderly. This book provides a contextual review of recent research on neuromuscular factors and behavioral risk factors for functional decline in OA, with a special emphasis on explanatory mechanisms. In addition, the book discusses innovative approaches to exercise and physical activity in OA, derived from research on behavioral and neuromuscular risk factors for functional decline in OA. Recent research has shown that neuromuscular factors (such as muscle strength, joint laxity) and behavioral factors (such as avoidance of activity, depressed mood) predict pain and disability in OA. Furthermore, exercise and physical activity are among the dominant interventions aiming at reducing pain and disability, and innovative interventions targeting neuromuscular and behavioral interventions have been recently developed. This research has been published as separate papers, with the result that the field is in need of an integrative contextual review that puts the research into theoretical perspective.
- Fractures in the elderly a guide to practical management 2011, SpringerPt. 1. The aging of bone and etiologies of fractures -- pt. 2. Perioperative management -- pt. 3. Common fractures in the elderly -- pt. 4. Rehabilitation, post-fracture evaluation, and prevention.
- Fundamentals of geriatric medicine a case-based approach 2007, Springer
- GeNeDis 2014-- computational biology and bioinformatics 2015, SpringerThe 1st World Congress on Geriatrics and Neurodegenerative Disease Research (GeNeDis 2014) focused on recent advances in geriatrics and neurodegeneration, ranging from basic science to clinical and pharmaceutical developments providing an international forum for the latest scientific discoveries, medical practices and care initiatives. This volume focuses on the bioinformatics and computational biology-related sessions
- GeNeDis 2014-- geriatrics 2015, SpringerThe 1st World Congress on Geriatrics and Neurodegenerative Disease Research (GeNeDis 2014), will focus on recent advances in geriatrics and neurodegeneration, ranging from basic science to clinical and pharmaceutical developments and will provide an international forum for the latest scientific discoveries, medical practices and care initiatives. Advances information technologies will be discussed along with their implications for various research, implementation and policy concerns. In addition, the conference will address European and global issues in the funding of long-term care and medico-social policies regarding elderly people. GeNeDis 2014 takes place in Corfu, Greece, 10-13 April 2014. This volume focuses on the sessions that address geriatrics.
- GeNeDis 2014-- neurodegeneration 2015, SpringerThe 1st World Congress on Geriatrics and Neurodegenerative Disease Research (GeNeDis 2014) focused on recent advances in geriatrics and neurodegeneration, ranging from basic science to clinical and pharmaceutical developments providing an international forum for the latest scientific discoveries, medical practices and care initiatives. Advanced information technologies were discussed along with their implications for various research, implementation and policy concerns. This volume focuses on neurodegenerative disease sessions.
- Geriatric anesthesiology. 2nd ed. 2008, SpringerThe practice of geriatric anesthesia / Jeffrey H. Silverstein -- Demographics and economics of geriatric patient care / Maria F. Galati and Roger D. London -- Theories of aging / Stanley Muravchick -- Ethical management of the elderly patient / Paul J. Hoehner -- Teaching geriatric anesthesiology to practitioners, residents, and medical students / Sheila J. Ellis -- Research priorities in geriatric anesthesiology / Christopher J. Jankowski and David J. Cook -- Alterations in metabolic functions and electrolytes / Michael C. Lewis -- Perioperative thermoregulation / Daniel I. Sessler -- Postoperative central nervous system dysfunction / Deborah J. Culley, Terri G. Monk, and Gregory Crosby-- Alterations in circulatory function / Thomas J. Ebert and G. Alec Rooke -- The aging respiratory system : anesthetic strategies to minimize perioperative pulmonary complications / Rodrigo Cartin-Ceba ... [et al.] -- Operative debridements of chronic wounds / Andrew M. Hanflik ... [et al.] -- Preoperative risk stratificationand methods to reduce risk / Linda L. Liu and Jacqueline M. Leung -- Anesthetic implications of chronic medications / Tamas A. Szabo and R. David Warters -- The pharmacology of opioids / Steven L. Shafer and Pamela Flood -- Intravenous hypnotic anesthetics / Matthew D. McEvoy and J.G. Reves -- Inhalational anesthetics / Gary R. Haynes -- Relaxants and their reversal agents / Cynthia A. Lien and Takahiro Suzuki -- Management of regional anesthesia / Bernadette Veering -- Fluid management / Jessica Miller, Lee A. Fleisher, and Jeffrey L. Carson -- Pain management / Jack M. Berger -- Anesthesia considerations for geriatric outpatients / Kathryn E. McGoldrick -- Sedaton and monitoring / Sheila R. Barnett -- Total hip replacement, joint replacement, and hip fracture / Idit Matot and Shaul Beyth -- Transurethral prostatectomy syndrome and other complications of urologic procedures / Daniel M. Gainsburg -- Thoracic procedures / Steven M. Neustein and James B. Eisenkraft -- Cardiac procedures / James H. Abernathy III -- Vascular procedures / Leanne Groban and Sylvia Y. Dolinski -- Abdominal procedures / Jeffrey H. Silverstein.
- Geriatric imaging 2013, SpringerIn the elderly, the coexistence of various diseases, the presence of involutional and degenerative changes, and the occurrence of both physical and cognitive problems represent ""the norm."" It is therefore important to know how to distinguish the healthy elderly from those in need of treatment as a sound basis for avoiding overdiagnosis and overtreatment. This aspect is a central theme in Geriatric Imaging, which covers a wide range of applications of different imaging techniques and clearly explains both the potential and the limitations of diagnostic imaging in geriatric patients.
- Geriatric nutrition 2007, CRCnetBASE1. The aging society and nutrition epidemiology / Shailaja Pulisetty and John E. Morley -- 2. Molecular theories of aging and nutritional interventions / H.J. Armbrecht -- 3. The role of nutrition in the prevention of age-associated diseases / John E. Morley -- 4. Obesity in older adults / Gary A. Wittert -- 5. Sarcopenia and cachexia / John E. Morley and Matthew T. Haren -- 6. Immunity and nutrition / Chantri Trinh -- 7. Nutritional requirements in older adults / David R. Thomas -- 8. Energy balance / John E. Morley -- 9. Water metabolism / David R. Thomas and John E. Morley -- 10. Vitamin disorders / Ramzi R. Hajjar and Zeina Nahhas -- 11. Trace elements / John E. Morley -- 12. Nutritional assessment in older persons / David R. Thomas -- 13. Geriatric assessment and its interaction with nutrition / Julie K. Gammack -- 14. Nutritional assessment in the European community / Juergen Martin Bauer and Dorothee Volkert -- 15. The oral cavity and nutrition / Nathalia Garcia and D. Douglas Miley -- 16. Management of protein-energy undernutrition in older adults / David R. Thomas -- 17. Prescription for enteral nutrition / Zareen Syed and Syed H. Tariq.
- Geriatric oncology treatment, assessment and management 2009, SpringerAging and cancer, what oncologists need to know / Arti Hurria, Lodovico Balducci -- Assessing the older cancer patient / Melissa Cohen, David Reuben, Arash Naeim -- Cancer screening in older adults / Louise C. Walter -- Physiological consequences of aging / Bindu Kanapuru, William B. Ershler -- Assessment and impact of comorbidity in older adults with cancer / Athanasios Karampeasiz, Martine Extermann -- Geriatric syndromes defined and explained for oncology practice / Miriam B. Rodin -- Family caregivers / Betty R. Ferrell, Polly Mazanec -- Surgical management of the older patient with cancer / David M. Heimann, M. Margaret Kemeny -- Chemotherapy for the older adult with cancer / Supriya Mohile, Nail Nagovskiy, Lodovico Balducci -- Radiation therapy in geriatric oncology / Sarah E. Hoffe, Mark S. Russell -- Palliative care, special considerations for older adults with cancer / Genevieve N. Thompson, Harvey M. Chochinov.
- Geriatric ophthalmology a competency-based approach 2009, SpringerScope of the problem and demographic shift in population: visual disease incidence and prevalence in the elderly population -- Refractive error in the geriatric population -- Cataracts and cataract surgery -- Glaucoma in the elderly -- Diabetic retinopathy and its management -- Age-related macular degeneration and its management -- Low vision: when vision fails -- Visual loss and depression -- Visual loss and dementia -- Visual loss and hearing loss -- Visual loss and falls -- Elder abuse -- Functional impairment and visual loss -- The research agenda-setting project (RASP) -- Screening for comorbidities -- Refer comorbidities.
- Geriatric physical therapy. 3rd ed. 2012, ScienceDirectGeriatric Physical Therapy offers a comprehensive presentation of geriatric physical therapy science and practice. Thoroughly revised and updated, editors Andrew Guccione, Rita Wong, and Dale Avers and their contributors provide current information on aging-related changes in function, the impact of these changes on patient examination and evaluation, and intervention approaches that maximize optimal aging. Chapters emphasize evidence-based content that clinicians can use throughout the patient management process. Six new chapters include: Exercise Prescription, Older Adults and Their Families, Impaired Joint Mobility, Impaired Motor Control, Home-based Service Delivery, and Hospice and End of Life. Clinically accurate and relevant while at the same time exploring theory and rationale for evidence-based practice, it's perfect for students and practicing clinicians. It's also an excellent study aid for the Geriatric Physical Therapy Specialization exam. Comprehensive coverage provides all the foundational knowledge needed for effective management of geriatric disorders. Content is written and reviewed by leading experts in the field to ensure information is authoritative, comprehensive, current, and clinically accurate. A highly readable writing style and consistent organization make it easy to understand difficult concepts. Tables and boxes organize and summarize important information and highlight key points for quick reference. A well-referenced and scientific approach provides the depth to understand processes and procedures. Theory mixed with real case examples show how concepts apply to practice and help you enhance clinical decision-making skills. Standard APTA terminology familiarizes you with terms used in practice.
- Geriatric rheumatology a comprehensive approach 2011, SpringerPart 1. Aging and Comorbidity in Rheumatology -- The Immune System in Aging / Anjali Desai and Raymond L. Yung -- Bone Aging / Arthur N. Lau and Jonathan D. Adachi -- Atherosclerosis in the Rheumatic Diseases: Compounding the Age Risk / Naoto Yokogawa and Joan M. Von Feldt -- Neuropsychiatric Manifestations of Rheumatic Diseases in the Elderly / Jamal A. Mikdashi -- Tuberculosis and Rheumatoid Arthritis in the Elderly / Eduardo M. Acevedo-Vásquez, Darío Ponce de León and Rocío V. Gamboa-Cárdenas -- Widespread Pain in Older Adults / Cheryl D. Bernstein, Jordan F. Karp and Debra K. Weiner -- Part 2. Multidisciplinary Approach to Geriatric Rheumatology -- Pharmacotherapy Considerations Unique to the Older Patient / Keith A. Swanson and Mark A. Stratton -- Rheumatic Disease in the Nursing Home Patient / Joanne Sandberg-Cook -- Post-acute Care for Rheumatologists / Deborah W. Robin -- The Gerontorheumatology Outpatient Service: Toward an International Classification of Function-Based Health Care Provision for the Elderly with Musculoskeletal Conditions / Wim Van Lankveld, Josien Goossens and Marcel Franssen -- Health Policy, Public Health, and Arthritis Among Older Adults / Kristina A. Theis, Debra R. Lubar and Teresa J. Brady -- Physical Therapy Management of Select Rheumatic Conditions in Older Adults / Maura Daly Iversen and Madhuri K. Kale -- Arthrocentesis in the Elderly / Ahmed S. Zayat and Richard J. Wakefield -- Physical Activity in Older Adults with Arthritis / Dorothy D. Dunlop, Pamela A. Semanik and Rowland W. Chang -- Part 3. Rheumatic Diseases in the Elderly -- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Elderly Populations / Ana M. Bertoli, Guillermo J. Pons-Estel, Paula I. Burgos and Graciela S. Alarcón -- Elderly Onset Rheumatoid Arthritis / Venkata Sri Cherukumilli and Arthur Kavanaugh -- Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drug Use in Older Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients / Sogol S. Amjadi, Veena K. Ranganath and Daniel E. Furst -- Epidemiology, Risk Factors, and Aging of Osteoarthritis / Crisostomo Bialog and Anthony M. Reginato -- Osteoarthritis in the Elderly Population / Roy D. Altman -- Medium- and Small-Vessel Vasculitis / Rafael G. Grau -- Management of Geriatric Gout / Lan X. Chen -- Calcium-Containing Crystal-Associated Arthropathies in the Elderly Population / Elisabeth B. Matson and Anthony M. Reginato -- Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell Arteritis in the Elderly / Wolfgang A. Schmidt -- Antiphospholipid Syndrome in the Older Population / Silvia S. Pierangeli, Alan M. Seif and Emilio B. González -- Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases of the Elderly / Lora Giangregorio and Alexandra Papaioannou -- Infectious Arthritis in the Elderly / Nicole Melendez and Luis R. Espinoza -- Sarcopenia and Myopathies in the Elderly / Kenneth S. O'Rourke -- Scleroderma in the Elderly Population / Rebecca L. Manno and Fredrick M. Wigley -- Sjögren's Syndrome in the Elderly / Raymond L. Yung and Sheeja Francis.
- Geriatric trauma and critical care 2014, SpringerGeriatric Trauma and Critical Care provides a multidisciplinary overview of the assessment and management of the elderly patient presenting with surgical pathology. By utilizing current literature and evidence-based resources, the textbook elucidates the unique nature of caring for the elderly population. The structure of the volume provides the reader with an overview of the physiologic and psychological changes, as well as the impact on the healthcare system, associated with the aging process. Emphasis is placed on the impact of aging, pre-existing medical problems, effects of polypharmacy, advanced directives and end-of-life wishes on acute surgical problems, including trauma and surgical critical care. Special attention is given to the ethical implications of management of the aged. The multidisciplinary contributors provide a unique point of view not common to surgical texts. The textbook is the definitive resource for practicing surgeons, emergency medicine physicians, intensivists, anesthesiologists, hospitalists, geriatricians, as well as surgical residents, nurses and therapists, all who care for elderly patients with surgical emergencies.
- Geriatric urology 2014, SpringerGeriatric urology represents one of the largest overall sectors of care provided within the specialty of urology. As the incidence and prevalence of many clinical urologic conditions increase significantly in older adults, the practice of urology involves a need for advanced knowledge of the basic principles of geriatrics. Geriatric Urology outlines important topics in the care of elderly urology patients. The first section covers the biology of aging, changes in the genitourinary system, and common diseases including urologic conditions that may serve as warning signs of other disorders. Section two covers geriatric syndromes and implications for urologic care including frailty, polypharmacy, dementia, , and wound healing. Urologic conditions in older adults are explored in detail including urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, urinary tract infection, nocturia, and benign prostate diseases. Other topics covered include obtaining informed consent, development of advance directives, palliative medicine and care of the dying patient. Geriatric Urology is of great value to urologists, geriatricians, internists, residents and family practitioners.
- Geropsychology and long term care a practitioner's guide 2009, SpringerPolicies and Reimbursement: Meeting the Need for Mental Health Care in Long-Term Care / Margaret Norris -- Referrals / Michael Smith -- Assessment / Barry A. Edelstein, Lynn E. Northrop and Lisa M. MacDonald -- Treatment Plans / Deborah W. Frazer -- Treatment Process / Michael Duffy -- Integration of Psychology, Psychiatry, and Medication in Long-Term Care / Lee Hyer and Shalija Shah -- Professional Practice: Disciplines, Documentation, and Outcomes Measurement / Merla Arnold, John C. Colletti and Nicholas C. Stilwell -- Ethical Issues in Long-Term Care / Michele J. Karel.
- Global clinical trials for Alzheimer's disease design, implementation, and standardization 2014, ScienceDirect
- Ham's Primary care geriatrics a case-based approach. 6th edition. 2014, ClinicalKeyEmploying a unique case-based approach, Ham's Primary Care Geriatrics continues to be your comprehensive source of clinical solutions for this challenging population. This gerontology medical reference book features an interdisciplinary perspective that empowers you with team-oriented knowledge on the best diagnosis, treatment, and management strategies available to address the complex needs of older adults. Effectively treat your geriatric patients, and provide helpful guidance to their families, through engaging geriatric case studies that illustrate the principles and key clinical information you need. Form a definitive diagnosis and create the best treatment plans possible using the evidence-based medicine guidelines throughout. Find the information you need quickly and efficiently with a 2-color layout and consistent format, and test your knowledge with USMLE-style questions in every chapter.
- Handbook of assessment in clinical gerontology. 2nd ed. 2010, ScienceDirectFulltext ClinicalKeyPart I Psychopathology later in life -- Assessment of depression and bereavement in older adults / Barry A. Edelstein, Lisa W. Drozdick, Caroline M. Ciliberti -- Assessment of anxiety in older adults / Cheryl Carmin, Raymond L. Ownby -- Psychotherapy with older adults: the importance of assessment / Lee Hyer, Catherine Yeager, Renee Hyer, Ciera Scott -- Assessment of personality disorders inolder adults / Thomas F. Oltmanns, Steve Balsis -- Assessing psychosis in acute and chronic mentally ill older adults / Colin A. Depp, Casey Loughran, Ipsit Vahia, Victor Molinari -- Dementia syndromes in the older adult / Carol A. Manning, Jamie K. Ducharme -- Delirium assessment in older adults / Chricelyn M. Tussey, Donna K. Broshek, Bernice A. Marcopulos -- Assessment of cognitive training / George W. Rebok, Jeanine M. Parisi, Alden L. Gross, Adam P. Spira -- The assessment of elder abuse / Elizabeth J. Santos, Deborah A. King -- Assessment of dementia family caregivers / Carey Wexler Sherman, Louis D. Burgio, Jennifer D. Kowalkowski -- Assessment with late-life families: issues and instruments / Brian D. Carpenter, Elizabeth A. Mulligan -- Part II Behavioral disorders -- Screening, assessing and intervening for alcohol and medication misuse in older adults / Kristen Lawton Barry, Frederic C. Blow -- Assessment and conceptualization of sexuality among older adults / Linda R. Mona, Gali Goldwaser, Maggie L. Syme, Rebecca P. Cameron, Colleen Clemency, Aletha R. Miller, Larry Lemos, Michelle S. Ballan -- Nutrition in the elderly / Kathryn E. Brogan, K-L. Catherine Jen -- Assessment of agitation in older adults / Jiska Cohen-Mansfield, Lori Schindel Martin -- Assessing sleep problems of older adults / Tracy Trevorrow -- Treatment adherence in late-life / Erin E. Emery, Erin L. Woodhead, Victor Molinari, Marcia G. Hunt -- Part III Cognition -- Geriatric neuropsychological assessment / John L. Woodard -- Screening instruments and brief batteries for dementia / Benjamin T. Mast, Adam Gerstenecker -- Cognitive assessment in late stage dementia / Cameron J. Camp, Michael J. Skrajner, Michelle M. Lee, Katherine S. Judge -- Assessing the personal preferences of persons with dementia / Carol Witlatch -- Part IV Everyday functioning -- Assessment of capacity / Jennifer Moye, Michelle Braun -- Household and neighborhood safety, mobility / Catherine L. Lysack -- Pain assessment and management in older adults / Theodore K. Malmstrom, Raymond C. Tait -- Assessments in driver rehabilitation / Joseph M. Pellerito Jr.
- Behavioral and cognitive treatments for geriatric depression: an evidence-based perspective / Kathryn S. Moss and Forrest R. Scogin -- Treating generalized anxiety in a community setting / J. Gayle Beck -- Treating of late-life generalized anxiety in primary care settings / Gretchen A. Brenes, Paula Wagener, and Melinda A. Stanley -- Cognitive-behavior therapy for late-life insomnia / Kristen C. Stone, Andrea K. Booth, and Kenneth L. Lichstein -- Relapse preventions model for older alcohol abusers / Larry W. Dupree [et al.] -- Cognitive-behavioral pain management interventions for long-term care residents with physical and cognitive disabilities / P. Andrew Clifford [et al.] -- Reducing psychosocial distress in family caregivers / Ann M. Steffen, Judith R. Gant, and Dolores Gallagher-Thompson -- Integrated psychosocial rehabilitation and health care for older people with serious mental illness / Meghan McCarthy, Kim T. Mueser, Sarah I. Pratt -- Cognitive therapy for suicidal older adults / Gregory K. Brown, Lisa M. Brown, Sunil S. Bhar, Aaron T. Beck -- Cognitive therapy for older people with psychosis / David Kingdon, Maged Swelam, Eric Granholm -- Behavioral interventions to improve management of overweight, obesity, and diabetes in patients with schzophrenia / Christine L. McKibbin [et al.] -- Dialectical behavior therapy for personality disorders in older adults / Jennifer S. Cheavens and Thomas R. Lynch -- Treating persons with dementia in context / Jane E. Fisher [et al.] -- Cognitive-behavioral case management for depressed low-income older adults / Patricia A. Areán, George Alexopoulos, Joyce P. Chu -- Post-stroke depression and CBT with older people / Ken Laidlaw -- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for older adults with bipolar disorder / Robert Reiser [et al.] -- Meaning reconstruction in later life: toward a cognitive-constructivist approach to grief therapy / Robert A. Neimeyer, Jason M. Holland, Joseph M. Currier, Tara Mehta -- PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) in later life / Lee Hyer and Amanda Sacks -- Training of geriatric mental health providers in CBT interventions for older adults / Nancy A. Pachana, Bob Knight, Michele J. Karel, Judith S. Beck -- The role of positive aging in addressing the mental health needs of older adults / R.D. Hill and E. Mansour -- How Medicare shapes behavioral health practice with older adults in the US: issues and recommendations for practitioners / Paula E. Harman-Stein and James M. Georgoulakis.
- Handbook of clinical nutrition and aging. 2nd ed. 2009, Springer
- Handbook of geriatric nursing care. 2nd ed. 2003, Ovid"The Second Edition of this A-to-Z guide covers a wide range of areas of concern pertaining to the growing geriatric population. Completely reviewed, updated and expanded, it includes more than 150 illustrations and charts. This text invites readers to investigate more than 200 disorders and age-oriented issues, such as lab value changes, sexuality, grief and loss, alternative therapies and cultural influences on compliance, self-care and recovery. Comprehensive and easy-to-use, this manual covers Alzheimer's, cataract removal treatments, and many other new and expanded topics"--Book jacket.
- Handbook of models for human aging 2006, ScienceDirectHistorical development of animal models of aging / Richard L. Sprott and Steven N. Austad -- Species selection in comparative studies of aging and antiaging research / João Pedro de Magalhães -- Principles of animal use for gerontological research / Richard A. Miller -- from primary cultures to the aging organism: lessons from human T lymphocytes / Rita B. Effros -- Models of systems failure in aging / Leonid A. Gavrilov and Natalia S. Gavrilova -- Major issues in ethics of aging research / Michael D. Smith -- Ethical aspects of research involving elderly persons / Paul S. Mueller and C. Christopher Hook -- SAGE KE and other online sources related to aging / Evelyn Strauss and R. John Davenport -- Proteomics in aging research / Christian Schöneich -- Application of high-throughput technologies to aging-related research / Matt Kaeberlein -- Models of Alzheimer's disease / Harry LeVine III and Lary C. Walker -- Age-related hippocampal dysfunction: early Alzheimer's disease vs. normal aging / Scott A. Small -- Epidemiology in aging research / Hermann Brenner and Volker Arndt -- Statistical issues for longevity studies in animal models / Chenxi Wang ... [et al.] -- Models for the study of infection in populations / John R. Williams -- Estimation of the rate of production of oxygen radicals by mitochondria / Alberto Sanz and Gustavo Barja -- Telomeres and aging in the yeast model system / Kurt W. Runge -- Longevity and aging in budding yeast / Matt Kaeberlein -- From yeast Methuselah genes to evolutionary medicine / Paolo Fabrizio and Valter D. Longo -- Strongyloides ratti: a nematode wth extraordinary plasticity in aging / Michael P. Gardner, David Gems, and Mark E. Viney -- Insect models for the study of aging / Klaus-Günter Collatz -- Drosophila models of aging / Satomi Miwa and Alan Cohen -- Models of aging in honeybee workers / Gro v. Amdam and Olav Rueppell -- Ants as naturally long-lived insect models for aging / Joel D. Parker and Karen M. Parker -- Gene expression and the extended longevity phenotypes of Drosophila melanogaster / Robert Arking -- Annual fish as a genetic model for aging / Pudur Jagadeeswaran -- The use of mature zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model for human aging and disease / Evan T. Keller, Jill M. Keller, and Gavin Gillespie -- Zebrafish as aging models / Shuji Kishi -- Telomeres in aging: birds / Susan E. Swanberg and Mary E. Delany -- Domestic and wild bird models for the study of aging / Donna J. Holmes and Mary Ann Ottinger -- A transgenic mini rat strain as a tool for studying aging and calorie restriction / Isao Shimokawa -- Rat models of age-related cognitive decline / Jennifer L. Bizon and Michelle M. Nicolle -- Aged rodents for biogerontology research / Nancy L. Nadon -- Life extension in the dwarf mouse / Andrzej Bartke -- The canine model of human brain aging: cognition, behavior, and neuropathology / P. Dwight Tapp and Christina T. Siwak -- Bats as a novel model for aging research / Anja K. Brunet-Rossinni and Rocco E. Rossinni -- Memory in the aging hippocampus: what can place cells tell us? / Iain A. Wilson -- The rhesus macaque as a model of human aging and age-related disease / Mary Ann Ottinger ... [et al.] -- Nonhuman primates as a models for reproductive aging and human infertility / Barry D. Bavister and Carol A. Brenner -- Neurobiology of the aging brain / Carlo Bertoni-Freddari ... [et al.] -- Mitochondrial DNA and aging / Mikhail Alexeyev, Susan P. LeDoux, and Glenn L. Wilson -- Models for apoptosis: from newborn to adult / Christiane Charriaut-Marlangue and Sylvain Renolleau -- Age-related changes in hormones and their receptors in animal models of female reproductive senescence / Jacqueline A. Maffucci and Andrea C. Gore -- Models of chaperones in aging / Jens Krøll and J.O. Nehlin -- Therapeutic potential of stem cells in aging-related diseases / Shannon Whirledge, Kirk C. Lo, and Dolores J. Lamb -- Nuclear transfer and cloning: preservation or expansion of proliferative lifespan? / Keith E. Latham -- Human models of longevity / Thomas Perls -- Computational models of mitochondrial DNA in aging / David C. Samuels -- Mouse models of accelerated aging / Jan Vijg and Paul Hasty -- Models, definitions, and criteria of frailty / David B. Hogan -- Fertility and aging men: an introduction to the male biological clock / Peter N. Schlegel ... [et al.] -- Benign prostatic hyperplasia / Peter Celec -- Murine models of infectious diseases in the aged / Kevin P. High -- Studying infection in the elderly: physiopathology, clinical symptoms and causative agents of pneumonia / Jean-Paul Janssens -- Diabetes and aging / Tamas Fülöp ... [et al.] -- Diabetes as a model of premature aging / Arshag D. Mooradian -- Frailty as a model of aging / Jeremy d. Walston -- Osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease in the elderly / Samy I. McFarlane, John Nicasio, and Ranganath Muniyappa -- Depression in older patients / Kiran Rabheru -- The aging human lung: age-associated changes in structure and function / Keith C. Meyer -- Iceland as a model for human aging / Adalsteinn Gudmundsson and Pálmi V. Jónsson -- Behavior and personality in the study of successful aging / Judith Corr and Loraine Tarou --Andropause / Rabih Hijazi and Glenn R. Cunningham -- Aging and the perceptual organization of sounds: a change of scene? / Claude Alain, Benjamin J. Dyson, and Joel S. Snyder -- Models of immune function in aging / Christopher a. Jolly and Zhun Xu -- Human T cell clones in long-term culture as models for the impact of chronic antigenic stress in aging / Graham Pawelec ... [et al.] -- Age-related changes in the human retina / Carlo Cavallotti and Nicola Pescosolido -- Models of age-related vision problems / J. Fielding Hejtmancik, Mark Kantorow, and Takeshi Iwata -- Health, functional and therapeutic implications of obesity in aging / R. Lee Kennedy and E.Y.H. Khoo -- Age and joints / Klaus Bobacz and Ilse-Gerlinde Sunk -- Sleep quality in the elderly / Ragnar Asplund -- Atherogenesis and aging / Cam Patterson -- Managing menopausal symptoms / Mary Ellen rousseau -- Psychological aging: a contextual view / Hans-Werner Wahl and Frieder R. Lang -- Nutrients and aging / Lawrence J. Whalley -- Methods for studying hearing impairment and auditory problems of the aged / Robert D. Frisina and D. Robert Frisina -- A mdoel for understanding the pathomechanics of osteoarthritis in aging / Thomas P. Andriacchi and Annegret Mündermann -- Aging and cardiovascular angiogenesis models / Andrew Chin ... [et al.] -- Models for the study of stroke / Thiruma V. Arumugam and Mark P. Mattson -- Werner syndrome as a model of human agiing / Raymond J. Monnat, Jr. -- Models of sarcopenia / Alfred L. Fisher -- Aging of human skin / Paolo U.Giacomoni -- Models of hypertension in aging / Jane F. Reckelhoff ... [et al.].
- Handbook of nutrition in the aged. 4th ed. 2009, CRCnetBASENutrition and electrolytes in the elderly / Marthe J. Moseley -- Vitamins and health in older persons / David R. Thomas -- Undernutrition and refeeding in elderly subjects / Patrice Brocker and Stéphane M. Schneider -- Nutrition and the geriatric surgery patient / Sheldon Winkler, Meredith C. Bogert, and Charles K. Herman -- The role of micronutrients in preventing infections in the elderly / Alia El-Kadiki -- Antioxidants and heart disease / Vijaya Juturu and Vidyasagar Sriramoju -- Cardiometabolic syndrome, diabetes and oxidative stress : focus on the aging population / Hussein Naji Yassine and Craig S. Stump -- Calcium and vitamin D in aging populations / Zhao Chen and Jeffrey Stanaway -- Lipid absorption in aging / Laurie Drozdowski ... [et al.] -- Caffeine and the older person / Hilary A. Wynne -- Vitamin K and health in the aged / Jennifer Truong and Sarah L. Booth -- The role of diet in slowing or accelerating aging / Saeed Hosseini and Reza Ghiasvand -- Nutrition and cancer prevention : an overview / Elaine B. Trujillo and John A. Milner -- Potential role of resveratrol in preventing inflammation and diseases associated with obesity and aging / Kathleen LaPoint and Michael K. McIntosh -- Health benefits of phytochemicals for older adults / Giuliana Noratto ... [et al.] -- Management of insulin resistance with Chinese herbs / Jianping Ye and Jun Yin -- Nutritional antioxidants and prevention of cataract / William G. Christen -- Herbal treatment of ischemia / Baowan Lin -- Can fruit and vegetable consumption oppose the negative health effects of tobacco? / Eliane Kellen and Geertruida E Bekkering -- Weight loss in elderly people / Aránzazu Aparicio ... [et al.] -- Food intake regulation and aging / Roger B. McDonald and Jessica Coppola.
- Pain, pain everywhere ... almost -- Assessment -- AGS 2009 guidelines for pharmacological management of persistent pain in older adults -- Spirituality as an adjunct to pain management -- The role of rehabilitation in managing pain in seniors -- Pharmacotherapy of pain in older adults: nonopioid -- Pharmacotherapy of pain in older adults: opioid and adjuvant -- Interventional strategies for pain management -- Pain management in long-term care -- The politics of pain: legislative and public policy issues -- The internet and electronic medical records to assist with pain relief -- Navigating pain care: trials, tribulations, and triumphs and resources to help -- Suggestions for change: education, policy, and communication.
- Handbook of the biology of aging. 6th ed. 2006, ScienceDirect
- Handbook of the psychology of aging. 6th ed. 2006, ScienceDirectConcepts, theory, and methods in the psychology of aging -- Biological and social influences on aging and behavior -- Behavioral processes and aging -- Complex behavioral concepts and processes in aging.
- Hazzard's Geriatric medicine and gerontology. 6th ed. 2009, AccessMedicineBiology of aging and longevity -- Genetics of age-dependent human disease -- Immunology and aging -- Inflammation and aging -- Demography and epidemiology -- International gerontology -- Psychosocial aspects of aging -- General principles of pharmacology -- Preventive gerontology: strategies for optimizing health across the life span -- Evaluation, management, and decision making with the older patient -- Principles of geriatric assessment -- Mental status and neurological examination in older adults -- Assessment of decisional capacity and competencies -- Principles of screening in older adults -- Health care system -- Transitions -- Acute hospital care -- Emergency department care -- Critical care -- Subacute care -- Nursing facility care -- Community-based long-term care and home care -- Rural aging -- Appropriate approach to prescribing -- Complementary and alernative medicine -- Team care -- Social work -- Self-management of health behavior in geriatric medicine -- Rehabilitation -- Pain management -- Palliative care -- Legal issues -- Spirituality -- Ethical issues -- Perioperative evaluation and management -- Anesthesia -- Surgical outcomes -- Nutrition and aging -- Weight and age: paradoxes and conundrums -- Malnutrition and enteral/parenteral alimentation -- Disorders of swallowing -- Oral cavity -- Assessment and rehabilitation of older adults with low vision -- Age-related changes in the auditory system -- Sex and gender across the human life span -- Menopause and midlife health changes -- Sexuality, sexual function, and the aging woman -- Gynecologic disorders -- Sexuality, sexual function, androgen therapy, and the aging male -- Benign prostate disorders -- Aging and homeostatic regulation -- Frailty -- Delirium -- Falls -- Sleep disorders -- Dizziness -- Syncope -- Pressure ulcers -- Incontinence -- Elder mistreatment -- Cellular and neurochemical aspects of the aging human brain -- Cognitive changes associated with normal and pathological aging -- Psychoactive drug therapy -- Cerebrovascular disease -- Dementia including Alzheimer's disease -- Parkinson's disease and related disorders -- Other neurodegenerative disorders -- Traumatic brain injury -- Epilepsy -- Late-life mood disorders -- Schizophrenia -- General topics in geriatric psychiatry -- Management of agitation in dementia -- Effects of aging on cardiovascular structure and function -- Aging and atherosclerosis -- Coronary heart disease -- Valvular heart disease -- Heart failure -- Cardiac arrhythmias -- Peripheral vascular disease -- Hypertension -- Aging of the respiratory system -- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- Diffuse parenchymal lung disease -- Changes in kidney function -- Renal disease -- End-stage renal disease -- Disorders of fluid balance -- Effect of aging on gastrointestinal function -- Hepatic, biliary, and pancreatic disease -- Upper gastrointestinal disorders -- Common large intestinal disorders -- Constipation -- Oncology and aging: general principles -- Breast disease -- Prostate cancer -- Lung cancer -- Gastrointestinal malignancies -- Intracranial neoplasms -- Skin cancer -- Aging of the hematopoietic system -- Anemia -- White cell disorders -- Non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's lymphomas and myeloma -- Thrombosis -- Hemorrhagic disorders -- Aging of the endocrine system and selected endocrine disorders -- Thyroid diseases -- Diabetes mellitus -- Dyslipoproteinemia -- Hyperparathyroidism and Paget's disease of bone -- Aging of the muscles and joints -- Biomechanics of mobility -- Exercise: physiologic and functional effects -- Mobility -- Osteoarthritis -- Osteoporosis -- Hip fractures -- Myopathy, polymyalgia rheumatica, and temporal arteritis -- Rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases -- Back pain and spinal stenosis -- Primary considerations in managing the older patient with foot problems -- Fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndromes -- Infection in the elderly -- General principles of antimicrobial selection -- Pneumonia -- Urinary tract infections -- Human immunodeficiency virus infection -- Herpes zoster -- Influenza and respiratory syncytial virus.
- Health of aging Hispanics the Mexican-origin population 2007, Springer
- How to manage pain in the elderly 2010, ebraryThe aging of America : the problem of pain in older adults -- Pain assessment in the older patient -- Pain medication management for older adults -- Complementary methods for pain relief -- Acute pain management -- Chronic pain management -- Interventional pain management for older patients -- Palliative care.
- How we die now intimacy and the work of dying 2013, ebraryHow we die now : Americans aging and dying in the twenty-first century -- The paradox of long-term care : we need it; we fear it -- Transitioning together : living, working, aging, and dying at Winthrop House -- Lessons from the end of life : what workers learn from helping others die -- Mutual interdependency : belonging, recognition, and the rewards of caring for one another.
- Human longevity, individual life duration, and the growth of the oldest-old population 2006, Springer
- Hypertension in the elderly 2005, SpringerThe importance of hypertension in the geriatric population / Ray W. Gifford and L. Michael Prisant -- Age-related changes in the cardiovascular system / R. Clinton Webb and Edward W. Inscho -- Aging, arterial stiffness, and systolic hypertension / Joseph L. Izzo -- Pharmacological and pharmacodynamic alterations in the elderly: application to cardiovascular therapies / Domenic A. Sica -- Epidemiology of hypertension in the older patient / William B. Kannel and Peter W. F. Wilson -- Nonpharmacological trials in the older patient / L. Michael Prisant and Dean U. Harrell -- Clinical trials of hypertension in older patient / L. Michael Prisant -- Blood pressure measurement in the older patients with hypertension / Jose Ramiro Arias-Vera and William B. White -- Clinical evaluation of the elderly hypertensive / L. Michael Prisant and Thomas W. Jackson -- Hypertension in the elderly: endocrine causes of secondary hypertension / Carlos M. Isales -- Diagnosis and management of hypertensive renal and renovascular disease in the elderly / Wanpen Vongpatanasin and Ronald G. Victor -- Heart failure in the older hypertensive patient / L. Michael Prisant ... [et al.] -- Management of ischemic heart disease in the older hypertensive patient: evaluation and management / Jan Laws Houghton -- Cerebrovascular disease in the elderly hypertensive / Fenwick T. Nichols, III -- Diuretics and beta-adrenergic blockers in the management of hypertension in the elderly / William C. Cushman -- Assessment of the role ace inhibitors in the elderly / Domenic A. Sica -- Use of angiotensin receptor blockers in the elderly / L. Michael Prisant -- Clinical trials with calcium antagonists in older patients with hypertension / William B. White and Sumeska Thavarajah -- Alpha-adrenoceptor blockers for management of hypertension in the elderly / James L. Pool -- Combination drug therapy in the elderly / L. Michael Prisant and Laura Lyngby Mulloy -- Attitudes regarding hypertension among older african-american adults / Wallace R. Johnson and Elijah Saunders -- Treatment of hypertension in the elderly diabetic patient / James R. Sowers and L. Michael Prisant -- Management of hypertension in older patients with arthritis / Sumeska Thavarajah and William B. White -- The clinician's role in improving therapeutic adherence and blood pressure control in older hypertensive patients / Brent M. Egan and Eni C. Okonofua.
- Immunology of aging 2014, SpringerAn Introduction on the old age and aging of the immune system -- The immune system, a marker and modulator of the rate of aging -- Age-associated alterations of pleiotropic stem cell and the therapeutic implication of stem cell therapy in aging -- A role for epigenetic modulation of the innate immune response during aging -- Basophil, eosinophil and neutrophil functions in the elderly -- Dendritic cells and dysregulated immunity in the elderly -- Natural killer cell immunosenescence and cancer in the elderly -- Pattern recognition receptors and aging -- Impact of ageing on T cell repertoire and immunity -- T cell mediated immunity in the immunosenescence process -- Biological and phenotypic alterations of T cells in aging -- T cells seen from the metabolic and aging perspective -- Age-related alterations in regulatory T cells -- Effects of aging on B cells -- The role of MicroRNAs in immunosenescence process -- Immunogenetics of Aging -- Aging immunity and infection -- Influenza infection in the elderly -- Optimising response to vaccination in the elderly -- Nutrition, immunity and aging -- Diet and immunosenescence -- Dietary Intake and impact of zinc supplementation on the immune functions in elderly: nutrigenomic approach -- Physiological and pathological role of reactive oxygen species in the immune cells -- Oxidative stress in aging -- Skin aging and the immune system -- Aging immunity and the impact of physical exercise.
- Immunosenescence 2012, Springer
- Immunosenescence psychosocial and behavioral determinants 2013, SpringerThis book presents the first multi-disciplinary approach to the understanding of immune aging, or immunosenescence; it combines biological data and clinical observations with psychological, social, and behavioral perspectives and is thus a valuable and timely contribution to the literature in this area. Contributors, all eminent scholars in their respective fields, review thoroughly the state of the art in research that examines how psychological and behavioral factors influence the rate and extent of immune system aging.
- Part I: Population health and well-being -- The aging U.S. population / Steven M. Albert -- The Oral disease burden faced by older adults / Ira B. Lamster and Natalie D. Crawford -- Social disparities in oral health and health care for older adults / Luisa N. Borrell -- Access, place of residence and interdisciplinary opportunities / Janet A. Yellowitz -- Part II: Health and medical considerations -- Movement disorders in dental practice / Nina M. Browner and Steven Frucht -- Cognitive impairment / James M. Noble and Nikolaos Scarmeas -- Musculoskeletal conditions / Jennifer L. Kelsey -- Cardiovascular, cerebrovascular diseases and diabetes mellitus: co-morbidities that affect dental care for the older patient / Neerja Bhardwaj ... [et al.] -- Geriatric pharmacology: principles and implications for oral health / Brian C. Scanlan -- Management of alcohol and tobacco dependence in older adults / David A. Albert -- Part III: Oral health and dental considerations -- Normal oral mucosal, dental, periodontal, and alveolar bone changes associated with aging / Stefanie L. Russell and Jonathan A. Ship -- The relationship between periodontal disease and systemic disease in the elderly / Dana L. Wolf and Panos N. Papapanou -- Caries, tooth loss, and conventional tooth replacement for older patients / Ejvind Budtz-Jørgensen and Frauke Müller -- Implant dentistry as an approach to tooth replacement for older adults / Hans-Peter Weber -- Saliva and the salivary glands in the elderly / Louis Mandel -- Mastication, nutrition, oral health and health in older patients / Angus W.G. Walls -- Orofacial pain and neurological disorders affecting the head and neck / Ali Makki and Susan Roche -- Oral pathology affecting older adults / David J. Zegarelli, Victoria L. Woo, and Angela J. Yoon -- Part IV: Professional recommendations and future needs -- Educating the dental profession / Lynn M. Tepper -- Dental services among elderly Americans: utilization, expenditures, and their determinants / L. Jackson Brown -- Conclusion: interdisciplinary planning to meet the oral health care needs of older adults / Mary E. Northridge and Ira B. Lamster.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Large number of high quality software and database programming titles from O'Reilly. Other software titles are also available from Sams and Prentice Hall. Limited to 7 concurrent users.Vast collection of software and database programming titles from multiple publishers, including Microsoft Press.Largest provider of engineering-related eBooks; includes titles in computer science and biomedical engineering.Over 4,000 full-text e-books covering scientific and technical information from CRC Press and others. Many handbooks and single volume reference sources.A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more. Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.Includes peer-reviewed life science and biomedical research protocols compiled from Methods in Molecular Biology, Methods in Molecular Medicine, Methods in Biotechnology, Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuromethods, the Biomethods Handbook, the Proteomics Handbook, and Springer Laboratory Manuals.Contains full text access to selected biomedical and nursing books.Provides one-click access to important clinical resources; includes evidence-based diagnosis and treatment guidelines, Books, EBM articles, Ovid MEDLINE, Drug facts and comparisons, Drug interaction facts, guidelines from National Guideline Clearinghouse, patient handouts (English and Spanish), and local content.ClinicalKey provides access to textbooks, electronic journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.