Books by Subject
- Acute endocrinology : from cause to consequence — Endocrine updates (100)
- Endocrine-disrupting chemicals : from basic research to clinical practice — Neuroendocrine tumours : diagnosis and management (100)
- Neuroendocrinology. [Part I], The Normal neuroendocrine system. 1st ed. — Transsphenoidal surgery. 1st ed. (100)
- Treatment of postoperative complications after digestive surgery — Yen and Jaffe's Reproductive endocrinology : physiology, pathophysiology, and clinical management. 7th ed. (17)
- 2008 Springeredited by Greet van den Berghe.
- 2012 CRCnetBASEeditors, Victor R. Preedy, Ross J. Hunter.1. Acylation stimulating protein (ASP) as an adipokine / Thea Scantlebury-Manning -- 2. Adiponectin as an adipokine / Zhikui Wei and G. William Wong -- 3. Adipsin as an adipokine / Yu-Feng Zhao and Chen Chen -- 4. Adrenomedullin as a cytokine / Alexis Elias Malavazos and Gianluca Iacobellis -- 5. Angiotensinogen as an adipokine / Miki Nagase and Toshiro Fujita -- 6. Apelin as an adipokine / Despina D. Briana and Ariadne Malamitsi-Puchner -- 7. C1q/TNF-related proteins (CTRPs) as adipokines / Jonathan M. Peterson and G. William Wong -- 8. Fasting-induced adipose factor/angiopoietin-like protein 4 as an adipokine / Sander Kersten -- Interleukins as adipokines / Kirsten Prüfer Stone -- Leptin as an adipokine: important definitions and applications for cancer research / Barbara Stadterman [and others] -- Omentin as an adipokine: role in health and disease / Anne M. Lenz and Frank Diamond -- Plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 (Pai-1) as an adipokine / Francis Agyemang-Yeboah -- Resistin as an adipokine / Zhikui Wei and G. William Wong -- Retinol-binding protein 4 as an adipokine / Elmar Aigner and Christian Datz -- TNF-α as an adipokine / Theron C. Gilliland, Jr. and G. William Wong -- Transforming growth factor as an adipokine / Yutaka Yata and Terumi Takahara -- Vaspin as an adipokine: a link between obesity and metabolic alterations / Peter Kovacs, Matthias Blüher, and Gabriela Aust -- Visfatin as an adipokine / Ariadne Malamitsi-Puchner and Despina D. Briana -- Thermal stress and adipokines expression / Umberto Bernabucci, Patrizia Morera, and Loredana Basiricò -- Central nervous system roles for adiponectin in neuroendocrine and autonomic function / Ted D. Hoyda, Willis K. Samson, and Alastair V. Ferguson -- The astroglial leptin receptors and obesity / Weihong Pan [and others] -- Adipokines and obesity / Alberto O. Chavez and Devjit Tripathy -- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and adipokines / Stergios A. Polyzos, Jannis Kountouras, and Christos Zavos -- Endocrine disruptors, adipokines, and the metabolic syndrome / Eric R. Hugo and Nira Ben-Jonathan -- Adipokines and the heart / Gianluca Iacobellis -- Adipokines as mediators of rheumatic disease / Deborah M. Levy and Earl D. Silverman -- Adipokines and allergy / Giorgio Ciprandi [and others] -- Adipokines and sleep disorders / Kapil Dhawan [and others] -- Adipokines in children and adolescents and implications for disease / HuiLing Lu and Katherine Cianflone -- Role of leptin in immune cell development and innate immunity / Pamela J. Fraker and Afia Naaz -- Visfatin and hypocaloric diets / D.A. de Luis and R. Aller -- Apelin in energy metabolism / Isabelle Castan-Laurell and Philippe Valet -- Adiponectin deficiency / Wayne Bond Lau [and others] -- Adiponectin enhances inflammation in rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts and chondrocytes / Natsuko Kusunoki, Kanako Kitahara, and Shinichi Kawai -- Resistin, imflammation and seminal fluid / Uwe Paasch [and others] -- Resistin in amniotic fluid / Shali Mazaki-Tovi [and others].
- 2014 SpringerGiamila Fantuzzi, Theodore Mazzone, editors.The field of adipose tissue biology has been expanding at a very rapid pace in the last few years. Numerous advances have been made since publication of the first edition of this book, in terms of basic adipocyte biology, understanding of the determinants of obesity, distribution of body fat and weight loss, as well as the mechanisms linking excess adiposity to various co-morbidities. Adipose Tissue and Adipokines in Health and Disease, Second Edition contains updated chapters from the previous volume but as the field has evolved, some areas covered in the first edition have been refocused to address the new knowledge. The volume is divided in four sections: the first two deal with basic adipose tissue and adipokine biology, while the last two address the problem of obesity and alterations in adipose tissue function from an epidemiological and clinical standpoint. The chapters are written by experts in their fields and include the most up to date scientific information. Adipose Tissue and Adipokines in Health and Disease, Second Edition is a useful resource for physicians interested in adipose tissue biology and basic scientists who want to know more about applied aspects of the field. The book targets endocrinologists, residents and fellows, internists, nutritionists and general practitioners who are exposed to an ever-expanding obese population.
- Adipose tissue development : from animal models to clinical conditions : 3rd ESPE Advanced Seminar in Developmental Endocrinology, Paris, March 12-13, 20092010 Kargervolume editors, Claire Levy-Marchal, Luc Pénicaud.Human lipodystrophies : genetic and acquired diseases of adipose tissue / Capeau, J. ... [et al.] -- The emergence of adipocytes / Laharrague, P.; Casteilla, L. -- Adipose tissue and the reproductive axis : biological aspects / Hausman, G.J.; Barb, C.R -- Unraveling the obesity and breast cancer links : a role for cancer-associated adipocytes? / Dirat, B. ... [et al.] -- Early determinants of obesity / Ong, K -- Metabolic syndrome in childhood : causes and effects / Weiss, R. -- Pathophysiology of insulin resistance in small for gestational age subjects : a role for adipose tissue? / Beltrand, J.; Meas, T.; Levy-Marchal, C. -- The neural feedback loop between the brain and adipose tissues / Pénicaud, L.
- 2009 Springeredited by Michael A. Blake, Giles W.L. Boland.Adrenal embryology and pathology -- Adrenocortical dysfunction -- Adrenal medullary dysfunction -- Adrenals in oncology -- Adrenal surgery -- Imaging adrenal dysfunction -- Imaging of pheochromocytomas -- Adrenal imaging using computed tomography: differentiation of adenomas and metastasis -- MRI of the adrenal glands -- Single photon imaging of the adrenal gland -- PET and PET-CT imaging of adrenal lesions -- Adrenal trauma and intervention -- Evolving functional and advanced image analysis techniques for adrenal lesion characterization.
- 2016 Kargervolume editors Marco Cappa, Stefano Cianfarani, Lucia Ghizzoni, Sandro Loche, Mohamad Maghnie.Toward automation of insulin delivery : management solutions for type 1 diabetes / Nimri, R., Phillip, M. -- Islet transplantation in pediatric patients : current indications and future perspectives / Bertuzzi, F., Antonioli, B., Tosca, M.C., Galuzzi, M., Bonomo, M., Marazzi, M., Colussi, G -- Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist treatment for pediatric obesity / Kelly, A.S -- Docosahexaenoic acid and its role in g-protein-coupled receptor 120 activation in children affected by nonalcoholic fatty liver disease / Della Corte, C., Mosca, A., Ionata, A., Nobili, V -- Noninvasive prenatal diagnosis of congenital adrenal hyperplasia / Khattab, A., Yuen, T., Sun, L., Yau, M., Barhan, A., Zaidi, M., Lo, Y.M.D., New, M.I -- Recent advances in hydrocortisone replacement treatment / Mallappa, A., Debono, M -- Experience with the histrelin implant in pediatric patients / Eugster, E.A -- Different medications for hypogonadotropic hypogonadism / Rastrelli, G., Vignozzi, L., Maggi, M -- Long-acting growth hormone : an update / Saenger, P.H., Mejia-Corletto, J -- C-type natriuretic peptide analog as therapy for achondroplasia / Legeai-Mallet, L -- Therapeutic neuroendocrine agonist and antagonist analogs of hypothalamic neuropeptides as modulators of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis / Newton, C.L., Anderson, R.C., Millar, R.P -- Aromatase inhibitors in the treatment of short stature / Hero, M -- Gene therapy for rare central nervous system diseases comes to age / Aubourg, P -- Novel therapeutic targets and drug candidates for modifying disease progression in adrenoleukodystrophy / Pujol, A.
- 2011 Future Mededitor, Kjell Öberg.Advances in neuroendocrine tumor management / Kjell Öberg -- Classification of digestive neuroendocrine neoplasm / Guido Rindi & Frediano Inzani -- Molecular profile and diagnosis / Christos Toumpanakis -- Surgical approach / Rossella Bettini & Massimo Falconi -- Somatostatin analogs / Wouter W. de Herder -- Combinational chemotherapy and radiotherapy / Emilio Bajetta, Emilio Bombardieri, Laura Catena, Monica Valente & Nadia Bianco -- Which therapy for which patient? / Kjell Öberg.
- Advances in rapid sex-steroid action : new challenges and new chances in breast and prostate cancers2012 SpringerGabriella Castoria, Antimo Migliaccio, editors.[1.] Non-genomic Action of Steroid Hormones: More Questions than Answers / Antimo Migliaccio, Gabriella Castoria, Antonio Bilancio, Pia Giovannelli, Marzia Di Donato and Ferdinando Auricchio -- Part I. Breast Cancer -- [2.] Progesterone Signaling to Chromatin in Breast Cancer Cells. Two Initial Cycles of Remodeling / Guillermo P. Vicent, Roser Zaurin, Cecilia Ballaré, A. Silvina Nacht, Roni H. G. Wright, Francois Le Dily, Giancarlo Castellano, Jofre Font-Mateu and Miguel Beato -- [3.] Cooperative Interactions Between c-Src, Estrogen Receptors and Receptor Tyrosine Kinases in Breast Cancer / Sarah J. Parsons, Jessica E. Pritchard, Emily M. Fox and Margaret A. Shupnik -- [4.] Cross Talk Between ER[alpha] and Src Signaling and Its Relevance to ER Status and Hormone Responsiveness / Jun Sun, Wen Zhou, Zafar Nawaz and Joyce M. Slingerland -- [5.] Post-translational Modifications of ER Alpha in Rapid Estrogen's Action / Muriel Le Romancer, Coralie Poulard, Stéphanie Sentis, and Laura Corbo -- [6.] Sex-Steroid Rapid Action and Its Role in Invasiveness and Metastasis of Breast Cancer / Marina Ines Flamini, Angel Matias Sanchez, Xiao-Dong Fu and Tommaso Simoncini -- [7.] Unraveling the Role of GPER in Breast Cancer / Rosamaria Lappano and Marcello Maggiolini -- [8.] Nongenomic Actions of Estrogens and Xenoestrogens Affecting Endocrine Cancer Cells / Cheryl S. Watson, Dragoslava Zivadinovic, Yow-Jiun Jeng, Rebecca A. Alyea, Terumi Midoro-Horiuti, Randall Goldblum and Anannya Banga -- Part II. Prostate Cancer -- [9.] Differential Functions of Stromal and Epithelial Androgen Receptor in Prostate Cancer Before and After Castration Resistant Stage / S. Lee, K.-P. Lai, S. Yeh and C. Chang -- [10.] Role of Androgens and Androgen Receptor in Prostate Cancer: Genomic and Non-Genomic Actions / Sara Marchiani, Lara Tamburrino, Monica Muratori, Lorella Bonaccorsi, Gianni Forti and Elisabetta Baldi -- [11.] Mechanisms of Signal Transduction in Prostate Cancer: The Role of PI3-Kinase Pathway in Androgen Action / Laurent Morel and Silvère Baron -- [12.] The IGF-I Axis in Prostate Cancer: The Role of Rapid Steroid Actions / Antonino Belfiore -- Androgen Receptor Pathway in Prostate Cancer: Old Target and New Drugs / Christophe Massard and Karim Fizazi -- Part III. New Tools for Steroid Receptor Analysis and Regulatory Networks -- [13.] Quantitative Visualization of Sex Steroid Receptor Functions: AR and ER[alpha] / Michael J. Bolt, Sean M. Hartig, Adam T. Szafran, Sanjay N. Mediwala, Marco Marcelli and Michael A. Mancini -- [14.] Micropatterned Surfaces as Tools for the Study of the Rapid Non-genomic Actions of Steroid Receptors / Andrew C. B. Cato, Emmanuel Oppong and Sylwia Sekula-Neuner.
- 2009. Kargervolume editor, T. Hugh Jones.Current guidelines for the diagnosis of testosterone deficiency / S. Arver, M. Lehtihet -- Laboratory measurement of testosterone / M.J. Diver -- Advances in testosterone replacement therapy / L.J.G. Gooren -- The role of the CAG repeat androgen receptor polymorphism in andrology / M. Zitzmann -- Late-onset hypogonadism / L.J.G Gooren -- Testosterone in obesity, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes / R.D. Stanworth, T.H. Jones -- Testosterone and coronary artery disease / J.E. Nettleship ... [et al.] -- Erectile dysfunction and testosterone deficiency / M. Blute ... [et al.] -- Testosterone, bone, and osteoporosis / S.P. Tuck, R.M. Francis -- Frailty and muscle function : role for testosterone? / U. Srinivas-Shankar, F.C.W. Wu -- Testosterone effects on cognition in health and disease / M.M. Cherrier -- Anabolic applications of androgens for functional limitations associated with aging and chronic illness / S. Bhasin, T.W. Storer -- Testosterone in chronic heart failure / C.J. Malkin, T.H. Jones, K.S. Channer -- Testosterone and prostate safety / A. Morgentaler, C. Schulman.
- 2008 ScienceDirectedited by Inga D. Neumann, Rainer Landgraf.Nonapeptides and the evolutionary patterning of sociality / J.L. Goodson -- Sex differences in vasopressin and oxytocin innervation of the brain / G.J. de Vries -- The parvocellular vasopressinergic system and responsiveness of the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis during chronic stress / G. Auilera ... [et al.] -- Experimental approaches for the study of oxytocin and vasopressin gene expression in the central nervous system / E.M. Scordalakes, C. Yue and H. Gainer -- Oxytocin knockout mice: a model for studying stress-related and ingestive behaviours / J.A. Amico ... [et al.] -- The role of the vasopressin 1b receptor in aggression and other social behaviours / H.K. Caldwell, S.R. Wersinger and W.S. Young III -- Behavioural studies using temporal and spatial inactivation of the oxytocin receptor / H.-J. Lee ... [et al.] -- New aspects of oxytocin receptor function revealed by knockout mice: sociosexual behavior and control of energy balance / K. Nishimori ... [et al.] -- Regulation of vasopressin release by co-released neurotransmitters: mechanisms of purinergic and adrenergic synergism / C.D. Sladek and Z. Song -- Neuron-glia interactions in the rat supraoptic nucleus / S.H.R. Oliet ... [et al.] -- Dynamic synapses in the hypothalamic-neurohypophyseal system / K.J. Iremonger and J.S. Bains -- Endogenous modulators of synaptic transmission: cannabinoid regulation in the supraoptic nucleus / N.A. McDonald ... [et al.] -- Oxytocin and appetite / G. Leng ... [et al.] -- Neural mechanisms underlying the milk ejection burst and reflex / G.I. Hatton and Y.-F. Wang -- Oxytocin receptor signaling / D. Devost, P. Wrzal and H.H. Zingg -- Neurosteroids are excitatory in supraoptic neurons but inhibitory in the peripheral nervous system: it is all about oxytocin and progesterone receptors / C. Viero and G. Dayanithi -- Oxytocin receptors: ligand binding, signaling and cholesterol dependence / G. Gimpl ... [et al.] -- Opposite effects of oxytocin and vasopressin on the emotional expression of the fear response / D. Viviani and R. Stoop -- Multi-factorial somato-dendritic regulation of phasic spike discharge in vasopressin neurons / C.H. Brown ... [et al.] -- Neurophysiology of supraoptic neurons in C57/BL mice studied in three acute in vitro preparations / R. Sharif-Naeini ... [et al.] -- Effects of oxytocin on GABA signalling in the foetal brain during delivery / R. Khazipov, R. Tyzio and Y. Ben-Ari -- Central vasopressin and oxytocin release: regulation of complex social behaviours / A.H. Veenema and I.D. Neumann -- Interactions between dopamine and oxytocin in the control of sexual behavior / T.A. Baskerville and A.J. Douglas -- Steroidal/neuropeptide interactions in hypothalamus and amygdale related to social anxiety / E. Choleris ... [et al.] -- Functional magnetic resonance imaging and the neurobiology of vasopressin and oxytocin / C.F. Ferris -- Evolution of the arginine vasopressin 1a receptor and implications for mammalian social behaviour / G. Heckel and S. Fink -- Oxytocin, vasopressin and sociality / C.S. Carter ... [et al.] -- Neuropeptides and social behaviour: effects of oxytocin and vasopressin in humans / M. Heinrichs and G. Domes -- Chronic stress plasticity in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus / J.P. Herman, J. Flak and R. Jankord -- Keeping oxytocin neurons under control during stress in pregnancy / P.J. Brunton and J.A. Russell -- Rapid synapse-specific regulation of hypothalamic magnocellular neurons by glucocorticoids / S. Di and J.G. Tasker -- Vasopressin in the septum: not important versus casually involved in learning and memory - two faces of the same coin? / M. Engelmann -- Role of the endocannabinoid system in regulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axis / M.A. Steiner and C.T. Wotjak -- Molecular genetic studies of the arginine vasopressin 1a receptor (AVPR1a) and the oxytocin receptor (OXTR) in human behaviour: from autism to altruism with some notes in between / S. Israel ... [et al.] -- Oxytocin and experimental therapeutics in autism spectrum disorders / J.A. Bartz and E. Hollander -- Impact of prosocial neuropeptides on human brain function / A. Meyer-Lindenberg -- Peptide and non-peptide agonists and antagonists for the vasopressin and oxytocin V₁[a], V₁[b], V₂ and OT receptors: research tools and potential therapeutic agents / M. Manning ... [et al.] -- Affinity and efficacy of selective agonists and antagonists for vasopressin and oxytocin receptors: an "easy guide" to receptor pharmacology / B. Chini, M. Manning and G. Guillon -- Prevention of hypoxic brain oedema by the administration of vasopressin receptor antagonist OPC-31260 / A.H. Molnár ... [et al.] -- Characterization of a novel and selective V₁[B] receptor antagonist / M. Craighead ... [et al.] -- Molecular mechanisms of clinical concentrating and diluting disorders / R.W. Schrier -- Action-binding channels / Y. Noda and S. Sasaki -- Opposite potentiality of hypothalamic coexpressed neuropeptides, apelin and vasopressin in maintaining body-fluid homeostasis / C. Llorens-Cortes and F. Moos -- Recent discoveries in vasopressin-regulated aquaporin-2 trafficking / R.A. Fenton and H.B. Moeller -- Pathophysiological role of aquaporin-2 in impaired water excretion / S.-e. Ishikawa ... [et al.] -- Potential utility of aquaporin modulators for therapy of brain disorders / M.C. Papadopoulos and A.S. Verkman.
- 2009 CRCnetBASEeditors, Giacomo Zaccone ... [et al.].
- 2010 SpringerNanette F. Santoro, Genevieve Neal-Perry, editors.Amenorrhea: A Case-Based Clinical Guide is a comprehensive review of the current knowledge regarding normal female reproductive physiology. Replete with interesting case vignettes and providing diagnostic algorithms and therapeutic strategies for amenorrhea, Amenorrhea: A Case-Based Clinical Guide is divided into three sections. The first section is composed of two chapters that provide a thorough review of basic science and clinical knowledge about the organ systems responsible for normal physiology of the menstrual cycle. The second section includes discussion about menstrual cycle disruption as it relates to hypothalamic-pituitary dysfunction, surgical and natural menopause, genetic defects, premature ovarian failure/insufficiency and the effects of caloric excess and restriction. The third section offers an update on the physiological effects of prolonged amenorrhea induced surgically or by hypothalamic dysfunction and also includes an original chapter that focuses solely on the impact of race and ethnicity on the prevalence and diagnosis of amenorrhea. Amenorrhea: A Case-Based Clinical Guide brings together chapters from renowned experts who offer state-of-the-art, clinically useful information in a case-based, reader-friendly fashion. This title will be a welcome addition to the bookshelves of all clinicians who practice in women's health settings.
- 2011 Springer Protocolsedited by Fahri Saatcioglu.Section I : Reviews -- 1. Molecular mechanisms of androgen action : A historical perspective / Albert O. Brinkmann -- 2. Androgen action during prostate carcinogenesis / Diping Wang and Donald J. Tindall -- Section II : Analysis of androgens -- 3. Androgen quantitation in prostate cancer tissue using liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry / Mark Titus and Kenneth B. Tomer -- 4. Ligand competition binding assay for the androgen receptor / Clémentine Féau [and others] -- Section III : Androgen receptor biology -- 5. Analysis of androgen receptor activity by reporter gene assays / Harri Makkonen [and others] -- 6. Identification and characterization of androgen response elements / Reinhilde de Bruyn, Rita Bollen, and Frank Claessens -- 7. In vitro and in vivo silencing of the androgen receptor / Helen Cheng, Eric Leblanc, and Paul S. Rennie -- 8. Analysis of interdomain interactions of the androgen receptor / Elizabeth M. Wilson -- 9. Methods to study dynamic interaction of androgen receptor with chromatin in living cells / Hatice Zeynep Kirli and Fahri Saatcioglu -- 10. FRET analysis of androgen receptor structure and biochemistry In living cells / Fred Schaufele -- Section IV : Analysis of androgen receptor modifications and interactions -- 11. Analysis of nuclear receptor acetylation / Chenguang Wang [and others] -- 12. Analysis of androgen receptor SUMOylation / Miia M. Rytinki [and others] -- 13. Analysis of ligand-specific co-repressor binding to the androgen receptor / Claudia Gerlach, Daniela Roell, and Aria Baniahmad --14. Detection of ligand-selective interactions of the human androgen receptor by SELDI-MS-TOF / Thomas Linke, Martin Scholten, and Aria Baniahmad -- Section V : Recent advances in studying androgen receptor signaling --15. Global identification of androgen response elements / Charles E. Massie and Ian G. Mills --16. Tissue-specific knockout of androgen receptor in mice / Tzu-hua Lin, Shuyuan Yeh, and Chawnshang Chang -- 17. Methodology to investigate androgen-sensitive and castration resistant human prostate cancer xenografts in preclinical setting / Holly M. Nguyen and Eva Corey -- 18. Automated microscopy and image analysis for androgen receptor function / Sean M. Hartig [and others] -- Section VI : Cross-talk of androgen and other signalling pathways -- 19. Androgen regulation of ETS gene fusion transcripts in prostate cancer / Delila Basi and Jan Trapman -- 20. Regulation of apoptosis by androgens in prostate cancer cells / Yke Jildouw Arnoldussen, Ling Wang, and Fahri Saatcioglu -- 21. Analysis of androgen receptor rapid actions in cellular signaling pathways : receptor/src association / Antimo Migliaccio, Gabriella Castoria, and Ferdinando Auricchio -- 22. Analysis of androgen-induced increase in lipid accumulation in prostate cancer cells / Jorgen Sikkeland, Torstein Lindstad, and Fahri Saatcioglu.
- 2013 SpringerWayne J.G. Hellstrom, editor.1. The Institute of Medicine White Paper on Testosterone: Current Perspective / Craig F. Donatucci -- 2. The Laboratory Diagnosis of Testosterone Deficiency / Akanksha Mehta and Darius A. Paduch -- 3. The Clinical Diagnosis of Androgen Deficiency / Gregory C. Mitchell, Ege Can Serefoglu, and Wayne J.G. Hellstrom -- 4. The Use of Patient Reported Outcome Questionnaires in the Diagnosis of Androgen Deficiency / Gregory J. Lowe, George C. Bailey, and Tracey L. Krupski -- 5. Testosterone and Its Association with Metabolic and Cardiovascular Disease / Giovanni Corona, Giulia Rastrelli, and Mario Maggi -- 6. The Role of Androgens in Prostate Cancer / Frances Alba, Claudio A. Romero, and Run Wang -- 7. Androgen Deficiency in the Adolescent Male / Erin R. McNamara and Sherry S. Ross -- 8. Effects of Androgen Deficiency and Replacement on Male Fertility / Andrew C. Kramer -- 9. HIV and Testosterone in Men / Gina Cambareri, Jane Ashby, David Goldmeier, and Hossein Sadeghi-Nejad -- 10. Treatment Options for Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Mohit Khera -- 11. Alternate Therapies for Testosterone Replacement / Ege Can Serefoglu, Ahmet Gokce, Wayne J.G. Hellstrom, and André T. Guay.
- 2006 Springeredited by Ricardo Azziz, John E. Nestler, Didier Dewailly.A brief history of androgen excess / Ricardo Azziz -- Ovarian and adrenal androgen biosynthesis and metabolism / Walter L. Miller, David H. Geller, and Mitchell Rosen -- Androgens throughout the life of women / C. Richard Parker, Jr. -- Physiological effects of androgens in women / T. Keta Hodgson and Glenn D. Braunstein -- Androgen measurements: methods, interpretation, and limitations / Frank Z. Stanczyk -- Androgen-secreting adrenal and ovarian neoplasms / Michel Pugeat ... [et al.] -- Cushing's syndrome, acromegaly, and androgen excess / Anne-Céline Reyss and Didier Dewailly -- The nonclassic adrenal hyperplasias / Didier Dewailly and Ricardo Azziz -- Pregnancy-related androgen excess / Howard D. McClamrock -- Drug-induced hyperandrogenism / Barbara Neraud and Didier Dewailly -- Severe insulin-resistant hyperandrogenic syndromes / David E. Moller, Antonio Vidal-Puig, and Ricardo Azziz -- Idiopathic hirutism / Enrico Carmina -- Definition and epidemiology of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Ricardo Azziz -- Clinical features of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Walter Futterweit, Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarakis, and Ricardo Azziz -- Biochemical features of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Adam H. Balen -- Ovarian histology, morphology, and ultrasonography in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Sophie Jonard ... [et al.] -- Hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadtrophic dysfunction in the polycystic ovary syndrome / R. Jeffrey Chang and Rinku V. Mehta -- Ovarian steroidogenic abnormalities in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Denis A. Magoffin -- Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal dysfunction in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Bulent O. Yildiz, Enrico Carmina, and Ricardo Azziz -- The genetic basis of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Mark O. Goodarzi -- Pediatric hyperandrogenism and the polycystic ovary syndrome in adolescence / Kathleen M. Hoeger -- Environmental factors in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Marie-France Hivert and Jean-Patrice Baillargeon -- Animal models and fetal programming of the polycystic ovary syndrome / David H. Abbott ... [et al.] -- Insulin resistance and hyperinsulinism in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Paulina A. Essah and John E. Nestler -- The endocrine impact of obesity and body habitus in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Renato Pasquali and Alessandra Gambineri -- Molecular mechanisms of insulin resistance in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Theodore P. Ciaraldi -- Menstrual dysfunction and endometrial neoplasia in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Abdulkadir Wagley and Paul Hardiman -- Beta-cell dysfunction, glucose intolerance, and diabetes in the polycystic ovary syndrome / David A. Ehrmann -- Hypertension and cardiovascular and lipoprotein abnormalities in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Francesco Orio and Stefano Palomba -- Reproductive and obstetrical consequences of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Mary C. Johnson and Richard S. Legro -- Psychosocial and quality-of-life consequences of androgen excess and the polycystic ovary syndrome / Onno E. Janssen, Susanne Hahn, and Sigrid Elsenbruch -- Overview of long-term morbidity and economic cost of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Ricardo Azziz -- Clinical and hormonal evaluation of androgen excess / Ricardo Azziz -- Ovarian suppression and treatment of hirsutism / Paolo Moghetti -- Polycystic ovary syndrome and ovulation induction / Bulent O. Yildiz and Ricardo Azziz -- In vitro fertilization for the polycystic ovary syndrome / Hanadi Ba-Akdah ... [et al.] -- Surgical management of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Adam H. Balen -- Use of insulin sensitizers in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Kai I. Cheang and John E. Nestler -- Weight reduction and lifestyle modification in the treatment of androgen excess / Manny Noakes ... [et al.].Also available: Print – 2006
- 2007 CRCnetBASEedited by Eleazar Shafrir.Pigs in diabetes research with special focus on type 2 diabetes / M.O. Larsen, B. Rolin -- Psammomys obesus : nutritionally induced insulin resistance, diabetes and beta cell loss / E. Ziv, R. Kalman, and E. Shafrir -- The spontaneously diabetic Torii (SDT) rat with human resembling retinopathy lesions / M. Shinohara, T. Masuyama, A. Kakehashi -- The Cohen diabetic rat / S. Weksler-Zangen, E. Orlinsky, D.H. Zangen -- Kk and KKay mice : models of type 2 diabetes and obesity / S. Taketomi -- Animal models to study obesity and type II diabetes induced by diet / Tamer Coskun ... [et al.]. Rat models of type 1 diabetes : genetics, environment, and autoimmunity / J.P. Mordes ... [et al.] -- The NOD mouse and its related strains / H. Taniguchi, S. Makino, H. Ikegami -- Obesity/diabetes in mice with mutations in the leptin or leptin receptor genes / S. Chua Jr., L. Herberg, E.H. Leiter -- The Zucker diabetic fatty (ZDF) rat--lessons from leptin receptor defect diabetic model / R.G. Peterson -- The Goto-Kakizaki diabetic rat evolved by selective breeding / C.J. Ostenson -- The new zealand obese mouse : a polygenic model of obesity, glucose intolerance and the metabolic syndrome / B.C. Fam, S. Andrikopoulos -- The JCR:LA-cp rat : a model of the metabolic syndrome exhibiting micro-and macro-vascular disease / J.C. Russel, S.E. Kelly, S.D. Proctor -- The SHROB (Koletsky) rat as a model for metabolic syndrome / R.J. Koletzky, R.A. Velliquette, P. Ernsberger -- OLETF rats : a model for the metabolic syndrome and diabetic nephropathy in humans / K. Kawano -- Neonatally streptrozotocin-induced (n-STZ) diabetic rats, a family of type 2 diabetes models / B. Portha ... [et al.] -- The Rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) manifests all features of human type 2 diabetes / B. Hansen and Xenia T. Tigno --
- 2012 Springeredited by Jay Skyler.Regulation of Insulin Secretion and Islet Cell Function / Gordon C. Weir, Susan Bonner-Weir and Arun Sharma -- Mechanisms of Insulin Action / Morris F. White and Morris F. White -- Consequences of Insulin Deficiency / Abbas E. Kitabchi and Mary Beth Murphy -- Type 1 Diabetes / Mark A. Atkinson and Jay S. Skyler -- Management of Type 1 Diabetes / Irl B. Hirsch and Jay S. Skyler -- Childhood Diabetes / Jamie R. Wood and Francine R. Kaufman -- Pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes / Mazen Alsahli and John E. Gerich -- Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus / Jennifer B. Marks -- Diabetes and Pregnancy / Lois Jovanovič -- Mechanisms of Hyperglycemic Damage in Diabetes / Ferdinando Giacco and Michael Brownlee -- Management and Prevention of Diabetic Complications / Sunder Mudaliar and Robert R. Henry -- Eye Complications of Diabetes / Lloyd Paul Aiello, Lloyd Paul Aiello, Lloyd Paul Aiello, Lloyd Paul Aiello and Paolo S. Silva, et al. -- Diabetes and the Kidney / Robert C. Stanton and Robert C. Stanton -- Diabetic Neuropathies / Aaron I. Vinik -- Obesity Therapy / Steven R. Smith -- Reversal of Diabetes: Islet Cell Transplantation / Antonello Pileggi, Rodolfo Alejandro and Camillo Ricordi -- Technology and Diabetes: Insulin Delivery Systems and Glucose Sensing / Bruce W. Bode -- Newer Diabetes Medications / Jay S. Skyler.
- 2014 SpringerLori A. Erickson."Atlas of Endocrine Pathology provides a comprehensive compendium of photomicrographs of common and uncommon entities in endocrine pathology. The volume includes histologic features of normal features, reactive conditions, hyperplasia, and tumors. The most helpful diagnostic features are illustrated to provide direction and clues to the diagnosis of endocrine tumors. Furthermore, photomicrographs highlight the most pertinent diagnostic features in problematic diagnoses in endocrine pathology. Authored by a nationally and internationally recognized pathologist, Atlas of Endocrine Pathology is an important learning tool for those becoming familiar with the diverse entities encountered in endocrine pathology and a valuable reference for practicing pathologists faced with challenging diagnoses in endocrine pathology."--Publisher's website.
- 2010 ClinicalKeyeditors, Quan-Yang Duh, Orlo H. Clark, Electron Kebebew.Thyroidectomy for nodules or small cancers / Christopher R. McHenry -- Thyroidectomy for locally advanced cancer / Ashok R. Shaha -- Thyroidectomy for large or substernal goiters / Shane Y. Morita and Martha A. Zeiger -- Reoperative thyroid surgery / Jacob Moalem and Wen T. Shen -- Lymph node dissection for thyroid cancer / Miriam N. Lango and John A. Ridge -- Surgical anatomy, intraoperative neural monitoring, and operative management of the RLN and SLN / Gregory W. Randolph -- Bilateral neck exploration for primary hyperparathroidism / Andrew B. Greene, Mira Milas, and Allan E. Siperstein -- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy / Leigh Delbridge and Todd McMullen -- Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy / Paolo Miccoli, Gabriele Materazzi, and Piero Berti -- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy : gamma probe guided / Susan C. Pitt and Herbert Chen -- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy : lateral approach / Geoffrey B. Thompson and John R. Porterfield -- Laparoscopic retroperitoneal adrenalectomy / James Lee -- Open adrenalectomy for cancer / Douglas B. Evans, Jean-Nicholas Vauthey, and Jeffrey E. Lee -- Laparoscopic pancreatic enucleation or resection for neuroendocrine tumor / Andrew A. Gumbs and William B. Inabnet -- Pancreatoduodenectomy for neuroendocrine tumor / Matthew L. White and Gerard M. Doherty.
- 2016 SpringerLuca Giovanella, Giorgio Treglia, Roberto Valcavi, editors.Part I: Basic Characteristics of Imaging Methods and Other Techniques for Evaluation of Neck Endocrine Diseases -- Ultrasonography -- Nuclear Medicine Techniques -- Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging -- Interventional Techniques -- Pathology -- Part II: Thyroid Diseases -- Graves' Disease -- Thyroid Autonomy -- Thyroiditis -- Non-Toxic Uninodular Goiter -- Non-Toxic Multinodular Goiter -- Well-Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma -- Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma -- Anaplastic Carcinoma and Other Tumors -- Part III: Parathyroid Diseases -- Primary Hyperparathyroidism -- Part IV: Other Endocrine Diseases of the Neck -- Head and Neck Paragangliomas -- Other Neuroendocrine Tumors of Head and Neck Region.
- 2005 SpringerVioleta Mihailovic-Vucinic, Om P. Sharma.Also available: Print – 2005
- 2016 SpringerGabriel Zada, M. Beatriz S. Lopes, Srinivasan Mukundan Jr, Edward R. Laws Jr, editors.Anatomy of the Sellar and Parasellar Region -- Imaging of the Sellar Region -- Pituitary Physiology and Endocrinology -- Pathology and Molecular Biology of the Pituitary Region -- The Direct Endoscopic Endonasal Transsphenoidal Approach to the Pituitary Gland -- Transcranial and Skull Base Surgical Approaches to the Sellar and Parasellar Region -- Radiosurgery of the Sellar and Parasellar Region -- The Normal Pituitary Gland -- Pituitary Hyperplasia -- Nonfunctioning Pituitary Adenomas -- Prolactinomas -- Somatotroph (GH) Adenomas -- Corticotroph (ACTH) Adenomas -- Silent Corticotroph (ACTH) Adenomas -- Thyrotroph (TSH) Adenomas -- Gonadotroph Adenomas -- Pituitary Apoplexy -- Atypical Pituitary Adenomas -- Pituitary Carcinoma -- Ectopic Pituitary Adenomas -- Craniopharyngioma -- Rathke Cleft Cyst -- Xanthogranuloma of the Sellar Region -- Petrous Apex Cholesterol Granuloma -- Sellar Region Arachnoid Cyst -- Sellar Region Epidermoid and Dermoid Cysts -- Colloid Cyst of the Sellar Region.- Meningioma.- Hemangiopericytoma -- Schwannomas of the Sellar and Parasellar Region -- Chordoma and Chondrosarcoma -- Hemangioblastoma -- Cavernous Sinus Cavernous Hemangioma -- Optic Pathway (Opticochiasmatic) and Hypothalamic Gliomas -- Pituicytomas and Sellar Ependymomas -- Granular Cell Tumor -- Germ Cell Tumor -- Olfactory Neuroblastoma and Sellar Neuroblastoma -- Hypothalamic Hamartoma -- Plasmacytoma -- Lymphoma -- Gangliocytoma and Ganglioglioma -- Spindle Cell Oncocytoma -- Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Paranasal Sinuses -- Sinonasal Melanoma -- Sinonasal Adenocarcinoma -- Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC) -- Fibrosarcoma of the Sellar Region -- Juvenile Nasopharyngeal Angiofibroma (JNA) -- Metastatic Tumors to the Pituitary Gland -- Spontaneous Abscess of the Sellar Region -- Invasive Fungal Sinusitis and Fungal Abscess of the Sella -- Mucocele and Mucopyocele -- Sellar Tuberculosis -- Neurocysticercosis of the Sellar Region -- Granulomatous Conditions -- Inflammatory Hypophysitis -- Demyelinating Diseases: Multiple Sclerosis and Neuromyelitis Optica -- Cerebral Aneurysms with Intrasellar Extension -- Arteriovenous Malformations -- Cavernous Malformations (Angiomas) of the Sellar and Suprasellar Region -- Vascular Fistulas of the Sellar and Parasellar Region -- Carotid Artery Dolichoectasia and Kissing Internal Carotid Arteries -- Sheehan's Pituitary Infarction -- Persistent Trigeminal Artery of the Sellar Region -- Meningoceles and Encephaloceles -- Empty Sella Syndrome -- Pituitary Hypoplasia and Other Midline Developmental Anomalies -- Duplication of the Pituitary Gland -- Fibrous Dysplasia -- Basilar Impression and Invagination -- Traumatic Injury, Pituitary Stalk Disruption, and Posttraumatic Anosmia -- Spontaneous, Traumatic, and Postoperative CSF Rhinorrhea -- Pseudoaneurysms of the Internal Carotid Artery in the Sellar Region -- Iatrogenic Pituitary Abscess.
- 2011 SpringerArne Heilo, Eva Sigstad, Krystyna Groeholt, editors.Physical and technical essentials -- Ultrasound features of thyroid lesions -- Nodular or colloid goiter, hyperplasia, and cysts -- Follicular adenoma and follicular thyroid carcinoma -- Oncocytic nodule/Hurtle cell tumors -- Follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma -- Papillary thyroid carcinoma -- Medullary thyroid carcinoma -- Anaplastic carcinoma -- Lymphoma and plasmacytoma -- Thyroiditis -- Metastases -- Regional lymph node metastases.
- 2008 Springeredited by Anthony P. Weetman.Part I: Introductory chapters -- Basic mechanisms in autoimmunity / Sonia Quaratino -- Immunogenetic factors in autoimmunity / Joanne Heward and Stephen Gough -- Environmental factors in autoimmune endocrinopathies / Rajni B. Sharma ... [et al.] -- Part II: Autoimmune thyroid disease -- Animal models of autoimmune thyroid disease / Marian Ludgate -- Thyroid autoantigens / Philip F. Watson and Nagat Saeed -- Graves' disease / Simon H. S. Pearce -- Autoimmune hypothyroidism / Francesco Latrofa and Aldo Pinchera -- Postpartum thyroiditis / John H. Lazarus and L. D. K. E. Premawardhana -- Thyroid-associated ophthalmopathy and dermopathy / Wilmar M. Wiersinga -- Part III: Type 1 diabetes mellitus -- Animal models of type 1 diabetes mellitus / Lucienne Chatenoud -- Islet cell autoantigens / Anastasia Katsarou ... [et al.] -- Type 1 diabetes mellitus / Huriya Beyan and R. David G. Leslie -- Part IV: Other autoimmune endocrinopathies -- Addison's disease / Corrado Betterle, Renato Zanchetta, and Fabio Presotto -- Premature ovarian failure / Victoria Sundblad, Violeta A. Chiauzzi, and Eduardo H. Charreau -- Autoimmune hypophysitis / Patrician Anne Crock ... [et al.] -- Autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type 1 / Pärt Peterson -- Autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type 2 / George J. Kahaly and Manuela Dittmar.
- 2014 SpringerGordon L. Klein, editor.
- 2014 SpringerBrendon J. Coventry, editor.Written by internationally acclaimed specialists, Breast, Endocrine and Surgical Oncology provides pertinent and concise procedure descriptions spanning benign and malignant problems and minimally invasive procedures. Complications are reviewed when appropriate for the organ system and problem, creating a book that is both comprehensive and accessible. Stages of operative approaches with relevant technical considerations are outlined in an easily understandable manner. The text is illustrated throughout by photographs that depict anatomic or technical principles. Forming part of the series, Surgery: Complications, Risks and Consequences, this volume Breast, Endocrine and Surgical Oncology provides a valuable resource for all general surgeons and residents in training. Other healthcare providers will also find this a useful resource.
- 2015 Kargervolume editors, Jeremy Allgrove, Nick J. Shaw.Voyages of discovery / Allgrove, J. -- Physiology of calcium, phosphate, magnesium and vitamin D / Allgrove, J. -- Physiology of bone / Grabowski, P. -- Radiology of osteogenesis imperfecta, rickets and other bony fragility states / Calder, A.D. -- Bone densitometry : current status and future perspective / Crabtree, N.; Ward K. -- A practical approach to hypocalcaemia in children / Shaw, N.J. -- Approach to the child with hypercalcaemia / Davies, J.H. -- A practical approach to vitamin D deficiency and rickets / Allgrove, J.; Shaw, N.J. -- A practical clinical approach to pediatric phosphate disorders / Imel, E.A. ; Carpenter, T.O. -- Primary osteoporosis / Arundel, P. ; Bishop, N. -- Osteoporosis in children with chronic disease / Hgler, W. ; Ward, L. -- Genetics of osteoporosis in children / van Dijk, F.S. -- A practical approach to children with recurrent fractures / Korula, S.; Titmuss, A.T.; Biggin A.; Munns, C.F. -- Miscellaneous bone disorders / Mughal, M.Z.; Padidela, R. -- Skeletal aspects of non-accidental injury / Johnson, K.; Bradshaw, K. -- Skeletal dysplasias: an overview / Offiah, A.C -- Drugs used in paediatric bone and calcium disorders / Cheung, M.S. -- Classification of disorders of bone and calcium metabolism / Allgrove J. -- Case histories / Katugampola, H. ; Saraff, V.; Kumaran, A. ; Allgrove, J.; Shaw, N.J.
- 2009 Kargervolume editors, Jeremy Allgrove, Nick Shaw.
- 2014 Kargervolume editors, Riccarda Granata, Jørgen Isgaard.Testosterone and cardiovascular risk in men / Kelly, D.M., Jones, T.H. -- Hormone therapy and venous thromboembolism among postmenopausal women / Scarabin, P.-Y. -- Cardiovascular and metabolic impact of glucocorticoid replacement therapy / Johannsson, G., Ragnarsson, O. -- Cardiovascular disease and thyroid function / Faber, J., Selmer, C. -- Hormonal alterations in heart failure : anabolic impairment in chronic heart failure -- diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic issues / Arcopinto, M., Cittadini, A. -- Genetics of primary aldosteronism / Funder, J.W. -- Adipose tissue dysfunction and inflammation in cardiovascular disease / Wronkowitz, N., Romacho, T., Sell, H., Eckel, J. -- Potential peptides in atherosclerosis therapy / Marleau, S., Mellal, K., Huynh, D.N., Ong, H. -- Interaction between insulin-like growth factor-1 and atherosclerosis and vascular aging / Higashi, Y., Quevedo, H.C., Tiwari, S., Sukhanov, S., Shai, S.-Y., Anwar, A., Delafontaine, P. -- Ghrelin and the cardiovascular system / Tokudome, T., Kishimoto, I., Miyazato, M., Kangawa, K. -- Natriuretic peptide system and the heart / del Ry, S., Cabiati, M., Clerico, A. -- Beyond glycemic control : cardiovascular effects of incretin-based therapies / Angeli, F.S., Shannon, R.P.
- 2013 Springereditor-in-chief: Siegfried Zabransky ; contributors: Miguel Alejandre Alcázar...[et al.].Care for Children Born Small for Gestational Age is a comprehensive handbook that serves to synthesize the extensive recent literature in the area to provide a practical resource aimed at a wide range of healthcare professionals, including obstetricians, midwives, neonatologists, and primary care physicians. This comprehensive handbook includes an in-depth survey of the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and long-term monitoring of children born small for gestational age, as well as related conditions such as intrauterine growth restriction, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Additionally, the short and long-term psychiatric and social consequences of this condition are addressed.
- 2011 Karger4th ESPE Advanced Seminar in Developmental Endocrinology, Stockholm, June 30-July 1, 2010 ; volume editors, Cecilia Camacho-Hübner, Ola Nilsson, Lars Sävendahl.Chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation / Wuelling, M., Vortkamp, A. -- Local regulation of growth plate cartilage / Spth, S.-S. ... [et al.] -- Growth plate senescence and catch-up growth / Lui, J.C., Nilsson, O., Baron, J. -- Endocrine regulation of longitudinal bone growth / Wit, J.M., Camacho-Hübner, C. -- Estrogen signaling in growth plate cartilage / Karimian, E., Svendahl, L. -- Methods to study cartilage and bone development / Andrade, A.C. ... [et al.] -- Fibroblast growth factor-23 and phosphorus metabolism / Tiosano, D. -- Molecular defects causing skeletal dysplasias / Mkitie, O. -- Allele-specific gene silencing in osteogenesis imperfecta / Ljunggren, Ö. ... [et al.] -- Stem cells in skeletal physiology and endocrine diseases of bone / Bianco, P., Sacchetti, B., Riminucci, M. -- Cartilage tissue engineering / Moreira-Teixeira, L.S. ... [et al.].
- 2015 SpringerTerry F. Davies, editor.1: Pituitary -- Overview: The role of medical therapy for secretory pituitary adenomas: current practices and new therapeutics -- Acromegaly, awareness is paramount for early diagnosis: highlights of diagnosis and treatment challenges -- A non-traumatic hip fracture in a young woman: Cushing's disease -- consequences of a late diagnosis and treatment highlights -- Section 2: Thyroid overactivity.- Introduction.- TSH-Secreting Pituitary.- Struma Ovarii.- Exogenous Thyrotoxicosis -- Section 3: Thyroid underactivity.- Thyroid Underactivity: Introduction.- Central Hypothyroidism.- Treatment of hypothyroidism -- Utility of adding T3 (liothyronine).- Hypothyroidism in Pregnancy -- Hypothyroid myopathy and thelogen effluvium -- Section 4: Thyroid cancer.- Introduction on Thyroid Chapters.- Approach to the Patient with an Incidentally Discovered Thyroid Nodule.- Papillary Thyroid Cancer.- Metastatic papillary thyroid cancer.- Management of Metastatic Medullary Thyroid Cancer.- Thyroid cancer and bone metastases -- Section 5: Adrenal.- Primary aldosteronism.- Adrenal Incidentaloma and Subclinical Hypercortisolism.- A Case of Pheochromocytoma -- Section 6: Hyperparathyroidism.- Introduction: Parathyroid Disorders -- Complex hyperparathyroidism.- Differential diagnosis of hypocalcemia.- Management of hypoparathyroidism.- Osteomalacia and primary hyperparathyroidism -- Section 7: Metabolic bone diseases -- Advances and challenges in the management of Osteoporosis.- Multiple Risk Factors for Osteoporosis and Fracture.- Delayed Diagnosis of Osteoporosis.- Misdiagnosis of atypical Femur Fractures -- Section 8: Endocrine Disorders of Men.- Introduction: Endocrine Disorders in Men.- Congenital Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism.- Klinefelter Syndrome.- Low testosterone and the Metabolic Syndrome -- Section 9: Pregnancy.- Introduction: Endocrine Cases and Pregnancy.- Getting pregnant with PCOS.- Thyrotoxicosis in pregnancy.- Gestational diabetes -- Section 10: Diabetes.- Introduction: Type 2 Diabetes.- Evaluation and Management of the Newly-diagnosed Patient with Type 2 Diabetes.- Transition to Insulin in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes.- Inpatient management -- Section 11: Lipid abnormalities.- Introduction: On Lipids.- LDL-apheresis Therapy for Refractory Familial Hypercholesterolemia.- Familial type II Hyperlipoproteinemia (familial dysbetalipoproteinemia).- Severe hypertriglycideremia -- Section 12: Obesity.- Introduction -- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome.- Managing a metabolic syndrome case.- The Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).- Bariatric Surgery.
- 2008 SpringerTerry F. Davies, editor.
- 2010 SpringerJens F. Rehfeld, Jens R. Bundgaard (eds.).Also available: Print – 2010
- 2010Luis Alejandro Zúñiga.Inflammation is characterized by the influx and activation of leukocytes to sites of tissue damage. Upon recruitment, immune cells become activated and can secrete pro-inflammatory cytokines and chemoattractants that can modulate cellular responses and leukocyte trafficking. However, if inflammation occurs inappropriately, it can lead to unwanted tissue damage to the host or can affect metabolic processes (e.g. glucose metabolism or bone metabolism). Evidence indicates inflammation also occurs in adipose tissue during obesity and that adipose tissue leukocytes secrete cytokines that can contribute to systemic, chronic inflammation. The mechanisms that regulate inflammation and mediate its effects on metabolism are not fully understood. To help clarify what factors mediate inflammation, we sought to determine the role that the chemerin receptor, CMKLR1, may play in mediating immune cell trafficking to inflamed tissue. We found CMKLR1 is expressed by murine peritoneal macrophages, which can migrate to chemerin in vitro. CMKLR1 was upregulated by TGF[Beta] and downregulated by pro-inflammatory cytokines and TLR ligands. Furthermore, we found that CMKLR1 exacerbated the progression of experimental murine autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE). Chemerin was expressed in inflamed central nervous system (CNS) tissue, and microglial cells and CNS-associated myeloid dendritic cells expressed CMKLR1 in mice with EAE. Additionally, we discovered CCRL2 as a novel receptor for chemerin and determined it is a non-signaling decoy receptor which may bind and present chemerin to CMKLR1. We found that CCRL2 is expressed by mouse mast cells and can enhance tissue swelling and tissue leukocyte infiltration during mast cell-dependent passive cutaneous anaphylaxis. In an attempt to uncover a role for chemerin/CMKLR1 in obesity development or obesity-related inflammation, we discovered an unexpected role for the pro-inflammatory cytokine, IL-17, in adipocyte metabolism. IL-17 was upregulated in obese adipose tissue by T cells. IL-17 KO mice were more susceptible to diet-induced obesity. IL-17 inhibited adipocyte development and insulin stimulated glucose uptake by adipocytes. Furthermore, young IL-17 deficient mice were more insulin sensitive than their WT counterparts. Overall, our data indicate a role for chemerin and chemerin receptors in leukocyte migration and function in inflammatory diseases, and suggest that IL-17 regulates metabolic responses associated with obesity.
- 2013 SpringerMarta Garaulet, Jose M. Ordovás, editors.Circadian rhythms are such an innate part of our lives that we rarely pause to speculate why they even exist. Perhaps this is the reason why in the medical practice the circadian variability of hormones, metabolites, physiological behaviors or the relevance of time in the presence or absence of different pathologies, have been practically ignored in the past. Some studies have suggested that the disruption of the circadian system may be cause for obesity and manifestations of Metabolic Syndrome (MetS). Shift-work, sleep-deprivation and bright-light-exposure at night are related to increased adiposity (obesity) and prevalence of MetS. Chronobiology and Obesity examines recent advances that have led to researchers to find the relevant link which exists between chronobiology and obesity, but, as it is emphasized throughout the book, there is much more that needs to be explored between the connection.
- 2015 SpringerAhmet Bahadir Ergin, A. Laurence Kennedy, Manjula K. Gupta, Amir H. Hamrahian.Developed via a peer review process that included 25 experienced endocrinologists and utilizing the best current evidence, The Cleveland Clinic has created a practical set of protocols for over 25 commonly used dynamic endocrine tests. The cornerstone of clinical endocrinology, these evidence-based protocols play an important role in clinical decision-making and are important element of billing and compliance with high quality standards. Included here are various tests for pituitary and adrenal disorders, thyroid disorders, and glucose metabolism and pancreatic disorders, presented systematically with indications, preparation, materials needed, precautions, procedure, interpretation, and caveats. Filling the gap left by a lack of national guidelines, The Cleveland Clinic Manual of Dynamic Endocrine Testing is an up-to-date practical guide for endocrinologists, nurses, and their staff, inside or outside of the US, who need to perform and interpret dynamic endocrine testing in their everyday practice, as well as medical students, residents and fellows who have interest in endocrinology.
- 2014 SpringerJohn P Mulhall, Peter J. Stahl, Doron S. Stember.Clinical Care Pathways in Andrology provides a valuable resource for understanding clinical decision-making in the context of the predominant male reproductive and sexual disorders for which patients commonly seek evaluation and treatment. Conditions that are less well-known but can be severely bothersome to patients, such as penile sensory loss, are also presented. Based on clinical evidence and expert consensus, practical clinical care pathways are featured for each condition. Each clinical care pathway consists of an algorithm that delineates the overall structure of decision-making for each condition, describes initial clinical presentations, and guides the reader through diagnostic testing and treatment.
- 2011 OvidMarc A. Fritz, Leon Speroff, [editors].Molecular biology for clinicians -- Hormone biosynthesis, metabolism, and mechanism of action -- The ovary-embryology and development -- The uterus -- Neuroendocrinology -- Regulation of the menstrual cycle -- Sperm and egg transport, fertilization, and implantation -- The endocrinology of pregnancy -- Normal and abnormal sexual development -- Normal and abnormal growth and pubertal development -- Amenorrhea -- Chronic anovulation and the polycystic ovary syndrome -- Hirsutism -- Menstrual disorders -- Abnormal uterine bleeding -- The breast -- Menopause and the perimenopausal transition -- Postmenopausal hormone therapy -- Obesity -- Reproduction and the thyroid -- Family planning, sterilization, and abortion -- Oral contraception -- Vaginal and transdermal estrogen-progestin contraception -- Long-acting methods of contraception -- Intrauterine contraception -- Barrier methods of contraception and withdrawal -- Female infertility -- Recurrent early pregnancy loss -- Endometriosis -- Male infertility -- Induction of ovulation -- Assisted reproductive technologies -- Ectopic pregnancy -- Appendix-I: Interpreting epidemiologic reports -- Appendix-II: Selected laboratory values and the international system of units (SI Units).
- 2013 Future Mededitors, Kennichi Kakudo, Zhiyan Liu.Clinical management of thyroid cancer / Kennichi Kakudo & Zhiyan Liu -- Diagnosis of thyroid cancer / Joseph M. Shulan & Jennifer A. Sipos -- Thyroid cancer : classification and cytological diagnosis / Zvonimir L. Milas, Jennifer Brainard & Mira Milas -- Molecular genetics of thyroid cancer / Angela Greco, Claudia Miranda, Maria Grazia Borrello & Marco A. Pierotti -- Etiopathogenic factors of thyroid cancer / Ana Lourenço Almeida, Paula Boaventura & Paula Soares -- Differentiated thyroid carcinoma: prognostic stratification and molecular classification / Michele N. Minuto, Emanuela Varaldo & Giuseppina Talamo -- Radiotherapy : radioiodine and external beam irradiation treatment of differentiated thyroid carcinomas / Miguel Melo, Gracinda Costa, Francisco Carrilho, Manuela Carvalheiro & Paula Soares -- Borderline lesions in thyroid tumor classification and well-differentiated tumor of uncertain malignant potential Zhiyan Liu, Bo Han, Yanhua Bai, Yaqiong Li, Osamu Nunobiki & Kennichi Kakudo -- Differentiated thyroid cancer in children / Andrew J. Bauer, Catherine A. Dinauer, Steven G. Waguespack & Gary L. Francis -- Index.
- 2009 ClinicalKeyedited by Fredric E. Wondisford, Sally Radovick.Clinical Management of Thyroid Disease is an exciting new book edited by Fredric Wondisford, MD, developer of the revolutionary new drug, Thyrotropin, and Sally Radovick, MD, with contributions from experts in the field. It fulfills the niche of a succinct, clinical resource to help you translate research into practice. This full-color volume offers valuable information on thyroid cancer and non-cancerous lesions, the effect of drugs on thyroid function, genetic disorders, and more in an accessible, easy-to-read consistent format. Presents the expertise of authors and editorial staff comprised of leaders in the field of thyroid research and clinical management for the best-qualified guidance on diagnosis and treatment. Provides a full-color, comprehensive approach that makes valuable information easy to locate and quick to read. Covers relevant topics applicable to all levels of training and expertise to serve as a detailed clinical reference on everything from the basic to the sophisticated. Captures research advances on hot topics such as thyroid cancer and non-cancerous lesions, the effect of drugs on thyroid function, and genetic disorders so that you can incorporate them into the way you treat patients.
- 2014 ScienceDirectvolume editors, Eric Fliers, Márta Korbonits, and Johannes A. Romijn.Ch. 1. Genetic aspects of hypothalamic and pituitary gland development -- Ch. 2. Neuroendocrinology of pregnancy and parturition -- Ch. 3. Disorders of water metabolism: diabetes insipidus and the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion -- Ch. 4. The role of oxytocin and vasopressin in emotional and social behaviors -- Ch. 5. Corticotropin-releasing hormone and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in psychiatric disease -- Ch. 6. Genetic aspects of human obesity -- Ch. 7. Sleep characteristics and insulin sensitivity in humans -- Ch. 8. Hypothalamic-pituitary hormones during critical illness: a dynamic neuroendocrine response -- Ch. 9. Central regulation of the hypothalamo-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis: focus on clinical aspects -- Ch. 10. Evaluation of pituitary function -- Ch. 11. Imaging of pituitary pathology -- Ch. 12. Nonfunctioning pituitary tumors -- Ch. 13. Hyperprolactinemia and prolactinoma -- Ch. 14. Acromegaly -- Ch. 15. Cushing's disease -- Ch. 16. Craniopharyngioma -- Ch. 17. Rathke's cleft cyst -- Ch. 18. Alternative causes of hypopituitarism: traumatic brain injury, cranial irradiation and infections -- Ch. 19. Surgical approach to pituitary tumors -- Ch. 20. Medical approach to pituitary tumors -- Ch. 21. Radiation therapy in the management of pituitary adenomas -- Ch. 22. Nelson syndrome: definition and management -- Ch. 23. Familial pituitary tumors -- Ch. 24. Long-term effects of treatment of pituitary adenomas -- Ch. 25. Neuroendocrine mechanisms in athletes -- Ch. 26. Uncertainties in endocrine substitution therapy for central hypocortisolism -- Ch. 27. Uncertainties in endocrine substitution therapy for central endocrine insufficiencies: hypothyroidism -- Ch. 28. Uncertainties in endocrine substitution therapy for central endocrine insufficiencies: growth hormone deficiency -- Ch. 29. Autoimmune hypophysitis: new developments -- Index.
- 2015 SpringerAnil Bhansali, Yashpal Gogate.This book covers interesting and yet often challenging cases among adult patients in a unique Question-Answer format. Simulating the bed-side case discussions during the ward rounds, one question logically leads to another question thereby generating curiosity and promoting evidence-based medicine. Taking the readers through the entire spectrum starting from etiology and pathophysiology to clinical presentation to management principles, each question addresses one key aspect of the disorder. Described in a very simple and lucid narrative, this book ensures sound conceptual understanding while covering each topic comprehensively. This volume covers important topics such as acromegaly, Cushing syndrome, osteoporosis, hypercalcemia, pheochromocytoma, hyperaldosteronism, thyroid disorders, and diabetes in adult patients. These cases are not only seen by endocrinologists, but are also managed by internists, orthopedic surgeons, obstetricians and gynecologists. Less common disorders such as adrenal disorders and androgen excess have also been covered.
- 2013 SpringerParviz K. Kavoussi, Raymond A. Costabile, Andrea Salonia, editors.1. Anatomy and Physiology of Androgen Regulation in Men / Jerald Marifke and Jay Sandlow -- 2. Development of the Male Reproductive System / Pravin K. Rao and Arthur L. Burnett -- 3. Epidemiology and Diagnosis of Hypogonadism / Mikkel Fode, Susanne A. Quallich, Yacov Reisman, Jens Sønksen, and Dana A. Ohl -- 4. Testosterone and Sexual Function / Wayland Hsiao and John P. Mulhall 5. Treatment of Hypogonadism in Men / Akanksha Mehta, Darius A. Paduch, and Marc Goldstein -- 6. Hypogonadism and Prostate Cancer: To Treat or Not to Treat / Mohit Khera -- 7. Testosterone and Male Infertility / Tung-Chin Hsieh, Matthew McIntyre, and Larry Lipshultz -- 8. Specific Endocrinopathies and Male Infertility / Vincent Harisaran, Eugene Cone, and Kathleen Hwang.
- 2015 SpringerAdrienne Youdim.1. The disease of obesity -- 2. The health burden of obesity -- 3. Psychosocial morbidity and the effect of weight loss -- 4. Dietary and lifestyle strategies for weight loss -- 5. Physical activity and writing an exercise prescription -- 6. The doctor's tool kit: pharmacolotherapy for the patient with obesity -- 7. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: procedure and outcomes --- 8. Sleeve gastrectomy: procedure and outcomes -- 9. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: procedure and outcomes -- 10. Perioperative care of the surgical patient -- 11. Surgical complications of weight loss surgery -- Index.
- 2014 SpringerYeo-Kyu Youn, Kyu Eun Lee, June Young Choi.This color atlas is a detailed guide on how to perform open, endoscopic, and robotic thyroidectomy techniques safely and effectively. Each chapter offers step-by-step descriptions of essential surgical procedures and techniques. Relevant information is included on surgical anatomy, and clear guidance is provided on preoperative set-up, draping, instrumentation, and complications and their treatment. The description of endoscopic thyroidectomy techniques focuses on the bilateral axillo-breast approach (BABA), while in the case of robotic thyroidectomy both BABA and the bilateral axillo-postauricular approach are described. In each case, the evidence supporting the technique is carefully examined. In the closing chapter, the role of new energy sources in thyroid surgery is discussed. The lucid text is supported by more than 200 full-color illustrations clarifying surgical anatomy, instrumentation, and procedures, and surgical video clips are also available to readers via a website. This atlas will be invaluable in enabling surgeons to achieve optimal outcomes when performing thyroid surgery.
- 2009 ScienceDirectedited by Victor R. Preedy, Gerard N. Burrow and Ronald Ross Watson.Analytical techniques -- General aspects of iodine sources and intakes in the diet, main routes of iodine metabolism and metabolic roles -- Pathological aspects of iodine deficiency -- Prevention and treatment of iodine deficiency disorders -- Damage and disease due to iodine toxicity -- Radiodine in the non-iodine deficient subject -- Other causes of hypothyroidism -- Geographical aspects of iodine deficiency disorders.
- 2007 Kargervolume editors, Renata Lorini, Mohamad Maghnie, Giuseppe D'Annunzio, Sandro Loche, Martin O. Savage.Genomic approaches in genetic research for endocrine diseases / Ravazzolo, R. -- Genetic defects of the growth-hormone-IGF axis associated with growth hormone insensitivity / Woods, K. -- Late effects of disturbed IGF signaling in congenital diseases: intrauterine and postnatal growth retardation / Cianfarani, S. ... [et al.] -- Growth hormone receptor polymorphisms: controversies and outcome of growth hormone treatment / Buzi, F. ... [et al.] -- Genetic disorders involving adrenal development / Lin, L., Ferraz-de-Souza, B., Achermann, J.C. -- Early management and gender assignment in disorders of sexual differentiation / Hughes, I.A -- Prenatal and early postnatal treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia / Ghizzoni, L. ... [et al.] -- Neonatal diabetes: the role of KCNJ11 (Kir6.2) / Tammaro, P. -- Diagnosis of neonatal and infancy-onset diabetes / Barbetti, F. -- Management of neonatal and infancy-onset diabetes mellitus / Søvik, O. ... [et al.] -- Insights in congenital hyperinsulinism / Hussain, K. -- A clinical approach to severe insulin resistance / Savage, D.B. ... [et al.] -- Inherited endocrine diseases involving G proteins and G protein-coupled receptors / Spiegel, A.M. -- Stem cells: from animal research to clinical applications / Redi, C.A. ... [et al.].
- 2014 Springeredited by David Haslam, Arya Sharma, Carel Le Roux.Obesity is a relatively new and controversial field of medicine. Some of the controversies surrounding obesity can be dismissed as myths, others reveal the lack of consensus and comprehensive knowledge which exist in obesity and its complex relationship with diabetes and other serious long-term conditions. Controversies in Obesity takes the unique approach of assessing the controversies surrounding obesity, thus seeking to debunk the myths and highlight and explore the genuine science, whilst demonstrating areas where there is healthy debate. This book will appeal to primary care physicians, trainees and specialist nurses involved in care of the obese patient, and would be of interest to anyone who wishes to gain a better understanding of the complex nature of obesity and its management.
- 2016 SpringerJohn B. Hanks, William B. Inabnet III, editors.Part A: General Topics -- Controversies in the Management of Nodular Thyroid Disease -- The Use of Ultrasound in the Management of Thyroid Disorders -- Pre and Post Thyroidectomy Voice Assessment -- Intraoperative Neuro-monitoring of the Laryngeal Nerves During Thyroidectomy -- Who Should Do Thyroid Surgery? -- Ambulatory Thyroid Surgery-Is This the Way of the Future? -- Robotic Thyroidectomy: Is There Still A Role? -- Graves' Disease-What is the Role and Timing of Surgery? -- Vocal Fold Paralysis and Thyroid Surgery -- Part B: Cancer Topics -- Optimal Treatment for Papillary Microcarcinoma -- Molecular Profiles and the "Indeterminate" Thyroid Nodule -- Controversies in the Surgical Management of Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma -- Central Lymph Node Dissection for Well-Differentiated Cancer -- The Role of Risk Stratification in the Treatment of Well Differentiated Thyroid Cancer -- Imaging for Preoperative Assessment and Staging of Thyroid Cancer -- Anaplastic Cancer and Rare Forms of Cancer Affecting the Thyroid -- The Role of Targeting Therapies or Non-Surgical Treatment of Thyroid Malignancies: Is Surgery Being Replaced?.
- 2010 Kargervolume editor, Peter C. Hindmarsh.Clinical trials : planning and analysis / Farewell, V.T., Cook, R.J. -- The evidence base for growth hormone effectiveness in children / Kelnar, C.J.H. -- Safety of recombinant human growth hormone / Carel, J.-C., Butler, G. -- Diagnosis of growth hormone deficiency / Webb, E.A., Dattani, M.T. -- Biological determinants of responsiveness to growth hormone : pharmacogenomics and personalized medicine / Mullis, P.-E. -- Clinical considerations in using growth hormone therapy in growth hormone deficiency / Ranke, M.B. -- Current indications for growth hormone therapy for children and adolescents / Richmond, E., Rogol, A.D. -- GH use in the transition of adolescence to adulthood / Mauras, N.
- 2011 SpringerBrooke Swearingen, Beverly M.K. Biller, editors.Cushing's Disease: An Historical Perspective -- Molecular Biology of Cushing's Disease -- Pathology of Cushing's Disease -- The Diagnosis of Cushing's Syndrome -- Pseudo-Cushing's Syndrome -- Cyclic Cushing's Disease -- Differential Diagnosis of Cushing's Syndrome -- Radiologic Imaging Techniques in Cushing's Disease -- Surgical Treatment of Cushing's Disease -- Postoperative Management and Assessment of Cure -- Radiation Therapy in the Management of Cushing's Disease -- Medical Management of Cushing's Disease -- Recurrent Cushing's Disease -- Diagnosis and Treatment of Pediatric Cushing's Disease -- Silent Corticotroph Adenomas -- Cushing's Syndrome in Pregnancy -- Nelson's Syndrome: Corticotroph Tumor Progression After Bilateral Adrenalectomy in Cushing's Disease -- Psychosocial Aspects of Cushing's Disease.
- 2011 SpringerMarcello D. Bronstein, editor.Physiology and pathophysiology of the HPA axis -- Etiologies of Cushing's syndrome -- Pathogenesis of corticotropic tumors -- Pathogenesis of adrenocortical tumors -- Clinical features of Cushing's syndrome -- Laboratorial diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome: differential diagnosis with pseudo Cushing's conditions as obesity, alcoholism and depression -- Laboratorial diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome: differential diagnosis among the different causes of ACTH-dependent and ACTH-independent Cushing's syndrome -- Imaging for the differential diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome: MRI, CT, and isotopic scanning -- Inferior petrosal sampling for the differential diagnosis of ACTH-dependent Cushing's syndrome -- The surgical management of Cushing's disease -- Adrenal-directed treatment options for Cushing's disease -- Radiation therapy and stereotactic radiosurgery for Cushing's disease -- Medical management of Cushing's syndrome -- ACTH-dependent Cushing syndrome: clinical and diagnostic aspects, and treatment approaches for ectopic Cushing's syndrome -- Revisiting the Nelson's syndrome: corticotroph tumor progression after bilateral adrenalectomy in Cushing's disease -- ACTH-independent Cushing's syndrome: adrenocortical tumors -- ACTH-independent Cushing's syndrome: bilateral macronodular hyperplasia -- ACTH-independent Cushing's syndrome: primary pigmented nodular adrenal disease in the context of Carney's complex -- Glucocorticoid resistance -- Post-operative replacement and assessment of HPA axis recovery in Cushing's syndrome -- Special aspects of Cushing's syndrome: pregnancy -- Special aspects of Cushing's syndrome: childhood -- Special aspects of Cushing's syndrome: cyclic Cushing's syndrome.
- 2007 Kargervolume editors, R. Scharfmann, J.P.H. Shield.Pancreatic development as a basis for the definition of new therapies for diabetes / Scharfmann, R. -- Overview of neonatal diabetes / Hamilton-Shield, J.P. -- Transcription factors in pancreatic development. Animal models / Martin, M. ... [et al.] -- Distinct roles of HNF1[beta], HNF1[alpha], and HNF4[alpha] in regulating pancreas development, [beta]-cell function, and growth / Maestro, M.A. ... [et al.] -- In vivo and in vitro techniques to study pancreas development and islet cell function / Duvillié, B., Heinis, M., Stetsyuk, V. -- Functional imaging of the pancreas: the role of [18F]Fluoro-L-DOPA PET in the diagnosis of hyperinsulinism of infancy / Ribeiro, M.J. ... [et al.] -- Insulin pump therapy in neonatal diabetes / Tubiana-Rufi, N. -- Generating new candidate genes for neonatal diabetes: functional and genetic studies of insulin secretion in type 2 diabetes / Rutter, G.A. -- Diabetes in very young children and mutations in the insulin-secreting cell potassium channel genes: therapeutic consequences / Flechtner, I. ... [et al.] -- Genomic imprinting: roles and regulation in development / Kelsey, G. -- Imprinting in human disease with special reference to transient neonatal diabetes and Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome / Temple, I.K. -- The physiology and clinical management of glucose metabolism in the newborn / Beardsall, K., Dunger, D.
- 2012 Karger6th ESPE Advanced Seminar in Developmental Endocrinology, Bern, May 10-11, 2012 ; volume editor, Primus-E. Mullis.
- 2012 CRCnetBASEedited by Ronald Ross Watson."Reduced production of DHEA associated with the diseases that accompany aging has led to its use as a nutritional supplement for antiaging, metabolic support, and other purposes. While animal studies have clearly shown substantial benefits of DHEA in combating various disease states, the effect of low levels of DHEA in humans is less established, and the mechanisms of action and potential involvement in illnesses remain unclear. DHEA in Human Health and Aging reviews the past ten years of research into this hormone and explores its potential for future study."--Publisher's description.
- 2012 SpringerAnders A. F. Sima, editor.1. C-Peptide and Insulin: A Happy Marriage / Donald F. Steiner -- 2. Peptide Interactions of Proinsulin C-Peptide / Charlotte Nerelius, Emma Lindahl, Michael Landreh, and Hans Jörnvall -- 3. The Effect of Combined C-Peptide and Zinc on Cellular Function / Dana M. Spence -- 4. C-Peptide Signaling in the Kidney and Protection from Diabetic Nephropathy / Nigel J. Brunskill -- 5. Role of C-Peptide in the Regulation of Microvascular Blood Flow / Thomas Forst, Matthias M. Weber, Thomas Kunt, and Andreas Pfützner -- 6. Is NO-eNOS a Target for C-Peptide Action and Its Protective Effects on Diabetic Nephropathy? / Kazuhiro Kimura and Akihiro Kamikawa -- 7. Renoprotective Effects of C-Peptide on Type 1 Diabetes / Lina Nordquist, Åsa Kallas, Sara Stridh, Fredrik Palm, and John Wahren -- 8. The Mechanisms Underlying the Effects of C-Peptideon Type 1 Diabetic Neuropathy / Hideki Kamiya, Wei-Xian Zhang, and Anders A.F. Sima -- 9. C-Peptide and Type 1 Diabetic Encephalopathy / Anders A.F. Sima and Wei-Xian Zhang -- 10. C-Peptide: A New Moleculewith Anti-Inflammatory Properties / Jaime Haidet, Vincenza Cifarelli, Xuehui Geng, Massimo Trucco, and Patrizia Luppi -- 11. C-Peptide: Connecting Diabetes with Macrovascular Complications / Karen E. Porter and Romana S. Mughal -- 12. C-Peptide and Diabetic Neuropathy in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes / Karin Ekberg and John Wahren -- 13. Proatherogenic Effects of C-Peptide / Daniel Walcher and Nikolaus Marx -- 14. Conclusions and Future Outlook / Anders A.F. Sima.
- 2014 ScienceDirectedited by Victor R. Preedy.
- 2009 Springeredited by Judith G. Regensteiner, Jane E.B. Reusch, Kerry J. Stewart, Aristidis Veves.
- 2014 SpringerEdgar V. Lerma, Vecihi Batuman, editors."Diabetes and Kidney Disease reviews the most up-to-date research on diabetic nephropathy, the current understanding of its pathophysiology, renal structural alterations and clinical features, and summarizes recent evidence-based clinical treatment modalities for the prevention and management of diabetic kidney disease. General clinical aspects are covered, as well as an overview to the novel approaches being designed by leading researchers in the field. A convenient compendium for physicians involved in the care of diabetic patients with varying degrees of kidney involvement, Diabetes and Kidney Disease is also a handy resource for medical residents and students interested in the current status and future approaches to reducing the burden of diabetes and diabetic kidney disease."--Publisher's website.
- 2012 SpringerGautam V. Shrikhande, James F. McKinsey, editors.In Diabetes and Peripheral Vascular Disease, a panel of distinguished leaders in the field of medicine, podiatry, and vascular and endovascular therapy assimilate the latest literature on these issues and others for an in-depth review of the management of peripheral vascular disease. Providing an overview of the management of diabetes and diabetic foot changes as well as providing a view of cutting-edge and emerging topics in optimization of arterial status, this important title addresses pathophysiology, anatomy, diagnosis and management of diabetic peripheral vascular disease, emphasizing a multi-disciplinary approach. The first chapter of the book provides an overview of this complex disease process and discusses the teamwork required for optimal management. The chapters continue with the basic pathophysiology of diabetic atherosclerosis and a contemporary review of the management of diabetes. The genesis of diabetic foot ulceration and prevention and management strategies is covered, as is the effects of neuropathy and microvascular changes in the diabetic foot. In addition, Diabetes and Peripheral Vascular Disease covers the microbiology of diabetic foot infections, the role of endovascular interventions and vascular surgery as well as the management of the complications of these procedures, the process of amputation for those patients who have progressed beyond a limb salvage situation, and the effects of diabetes on the cerebrovascular system as well as its implications in patients with aortoiliac disease. An invaluable addition to the literature on diabetes and peripheral vascular disease, the book will be of great interest internists, family practitioners, surgeons, podiatrists, wound care specialists, and vascular specialists. Students, residents, and fellows in surgical and medical specialties should also find this book of significant value and interest.
- 2014 Kargervolume editors, Julia H. Goedecke, Cape Town, Edward O. Ojuka, Cape Town.The relationship between exercise, nutrition, and type 2 diabetes / Stephenson, E.J., Smiles, W., Hawley, J.A. -- Sedentary behavior as a mediator of type 2 diabetes / Hamilton, M.T., Hamilton, D.G., Zderic, T.W. -- Increasing prevalence of type 2 diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa : not only a case of inadequate physical activity / Ojuka, E., Goyaram, V. -- Exercise interventions to prevent and manage type 2 diabetes : physiological mechanisms / Dela, F., Prats, C., Helge, J.W. -- Relationships between exercise, mitochondrial biogenesis, and type 2 diabetes / Joseph, A.-M., Hood, D.A. -- Interaction between lipid availability, endurance exercise, and insulin sensitivity / Newsom, S.A., Schenk, S. -- Mechanisms in exercise-induced increase in glucose disposal in skeletal muscle / Ojuka, E., Goyaram, V. -- The effect of exercise on obesity, body fat distribution and risk for type 2 diabetes / Goedecke, J.H., Micklesfield, L.K. -- Gene-physical activity interactions and their impact on diabetes / Kilpelinen, T.O., Franks, P.W. -- Physical activity and gestational diabetes mellitus / van Poppel, M.N.M., Ruchat, S.-M., Mottola, M.F. -- Physical activity in children : prevention of obesity and type 2 diabetes / Rush, E., Simmons, D. -- Diabetes and exercise in the elderly / Ferriolli, E., Pinheiro Amador S., Pessanha, F., Lemos S. Marchesi, J.C. -- Public health recommendations for physical activity in the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus / Lambert, E.V., Bull, F. -- Exercise for people with type 1 diabetes / Gallen, I.W.
- 2009 Springeredited by Geert Jan Biessels, Jose A. Luchsinger.
- 2014 ScienceDirectDouglas W. Zochodne and Rayaz A. Malik.This is a unique compilation, by experts worldwide, addressing how diabetes impacts the nervous system. For example, diabetic polyneuropathy, a disorder more common than MS, Parkinson's disease, and ALS combined, is a major source of disability to diabetic persons worldwide. This book addresses diabetic polyneuropathy and how diabetes alters other parts of the nervous system.
- 2013 SpringerKeith Taylor, Heikki Hyöty, Antonio Toniolo, Arie J. Zuckerman, editors.Diabetes, in all of its forms, now constitutes a growing health concern, affecting all segments of the world's population. There is great interest in the factors which influence its etiology and progression. Among these, a number of viruses feature prominently. Hindered by technological limitations, research into this relationship has hitherto been scarce. Recent advances, however, have opened up the field and there is a burgeoning body of literature on the subject. Unfortunately, this literature has been diffuse and often difficult to access.For the first time, this book compiles the views of many of the world's experts in the field. It addresses questions, ranging from how viruses may destroy or modify the function of pancreatic islets; to which viruses are the most likely culprits; to whether vaccines or etiologic therapies might be used to prevent virus-induced diabetes. Diabetes and Viruses is the first comprehensive volume on an important and expanding field of research that is of interest to clinicians, healthcare managers, epidemiologists, veterinarians, and basic scientists.
- 2012 SpringerGillian Hawthorne (editor).The Epidemiology of Diabetes in Older People -- Type 2 Diabetes and Dementia -- Depression in Older People with Diabetes -- Hypoglycaemia and the Older Person -- Cardiovascular Risk, Glucose and Targets for Management of Diabetes in Older People -- Diabetes and Frailty -- Perceptions of Users and Carers in Supporting Diabetes Care: Practical Guidance, Support and Information for Carers -- Management of Elderly People with Diabetes in Primary Care.
- 2010 SpringerVivian A. Fonseca, Merri Pendergrass, Roberta Harrison McDuffie.
- 2009 Springeredited by Agathocles Tsatsoulis, Jennifer Wyckoff, Florence M. Brown.
- 2007 OvidJeff Unger.Introduction to diabetes -- Diagnosing and managing the metabolic syndrome in adults, children, and adolescents -- Polycystic ovary syndrome -- Managing type 2 diabetes in adults -- Physiologic insulin replacement therapy -- Insulin pump therapy -- Assessing glycemic control using home blood glucose monitoring, continuous glucose sensing, and glycated hemoglobin (A1C) testing -- Management of diabetes in pregnancy, childhood, and adolescence -- Lifestyle interventions for patients with diabetes -- In-patient management of patients with diabetes -- Screening, diagnosis, and management of diabetes-related complications -- Amylin, glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists, and dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP-IV) inhibitors as novel treatments for diabetes -- Managing mental illness in patients with diabetes.
- 2013 OvidJeff Unger ; edited by Zac Schwartz.Introduction to diabetes -- Prediabetes -- Lifestyle interventions for patients with diabetes -- Polycystic ovary syndrome -- Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of microvascular complications: Part 1, diabetic neuropathy -- Prevention, diagnosis and treatment of microvascular complications: Part 2, diabetic nephropathy and diabetic retinopathy -- Exploring the association between diabetes and cardiovascular disease -- Associated disorders of interest to primary care -- Co-managing mental illness in patients with diabetes -- Diagnosis and management of T2DM -- Type 1 diabetes mellitus in adults -- Insulin initiation and intensification for patients with type 2 diabetes -- Insulin pumping and use of continuous glucose sensors in primary care -- Addressing cultural competency in diabetes care.
- 2014 Kargervolume editors, Ezio Ghigo, Massimo Porta.Diabetes from growth hormone excess / Neggers, S.J., van der Lely, A.J. -- Diabetes in growth hormone deficiency / Prodam, F., Zavattaro, M., Caputo, M., Marzullo, P., Aimaretti, G. -- Diabetes associated with glucocorticoid excess / Janssen, J.A.M.J.L., Lamberts, S.W. -- Diabetes in hyperaldosteronism / Crudo, V., Mulatero, P., Monticone, S., Veglio, F. -- Diabetes from catecholamine excess / Mannelli, M., Parenti, G., Zampetti, B., Canu, L., Mannucci, E. -- Diabetes and hyperthyroidism / Mitrou, P., Dimitriadis, G., Raptis, S.A. -- Diabetes secondary to neuroendocrine gastroenteropancreatic tumors / Minuto, F., Ferone, D., Boschetti, M., Albertelli, M., Gatto, F. -- Type 2 diabetes in polycystic ovary syndrome / Pasquali, R., Gambineri, A. -- Diabetes in hyperparathyroidism / Thomas, A., Kautzky-Willer, A. -- Posttransplant diabetes / Secchi, A., Scavini, M. -- Diabetes in pancreatitis, pancreatectomy, and other pancreatic diseases / Tiengo, A., Vigili de Kreutzenberg, S., Del Prato, S. -- Fibrocalculous pancreatic diabetes / Unnikrishnan, R., Mohan, V. -- Diabetes and hemochromatosis / Wood, M.J., Gonsalkorala, E.S., Powell, L.W. -- Secondary diabetes : clinical considerations / Ghigo, E., Guaraldi, F., Porta, M.
- 2008 Springeredited by Brooke Swearingen and Beverly M.K. Biller.
- 2009 SpringerNadir R. Farid, Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarkis, editors.Part I. The syndrome. 1. Clinical manifestations of PCOS / Pasquali Renato --2. The Menstrual cycle in PCOS / Sabrina Gill and Janet E. Hall -- 3. The Radiology of Polycystic ovaries / Susan J. Barter -- Part II. Origins -- 4. Insulin resistance in PCOS / Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarakis and Charikleia D. Christakou -- 5. Genetics of metabolic syndrome and genetic lipodystrophies / Tisha R. Joy and Robert A. Hegele -- 6. The Genetics of polycystic ovary syndrome / Brad Eilerman, Marzieh Salehi, and Yaron Tomer -- 7. Uterine origins and evolution in childhood / Agathocles Tsatsoulis and Nectaria Xita -- Part III. Consequences -- 8. Hyperandrogenism in PCOS / Neoklis A. Georgopoulos, Eleni Kandaraki, and Dimitrios Panidis -- 9. The Risk of diabetes and metabolic syndrome in PCOS / Thomas M. Barber -- 10. The Risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes in the Polycystic ovary syndrome / Susmeeta T. Sharma and John E. Nestler -- 11. Pregnancy complications in PCOS / Roy Homburg -- 12. Polycystic ovary syndrome, sleep apnea, and daytime sleepiness and fatigue / Alexandros N. Vgontzas and Susan Calhoun -- 13. Polycystic ovarian syndrome and gynaecological cancer / Alexandra Lawrence and W. Peter Mason -- 14. PCOS, depression, and Alzheimer's disease / Pascale G. Stemmle, Heather A. Kenna, and Natalie L. Rasgon -- 15. Psychological issues and their treatment / Melissa J. Himelein and Samuel S. Thatcher -- Part IV. Management -- 16. Dietary management of PCOS / Kate Marsh -- 17. Exercise in the treatment of PCOS / Emma Stevenson -- 18. Medical treatment / Jean-Patrice Baillargeon and Nadir R. Farid -- 19. Therapy of hirsutism / Salvatore Benvenga -- 20. Ovulation induction in PCOS / Evert J.P. van Santbrink -- 21. IVF in Polycystic ovary syndrome / Rehan Salim and Paul Serhal -- 22. The Surgical management of Polycystic ovarian syndrome / Colin J. Davis -- 23. When periods stop: long-term consequences of PCOS / Enrico Carmina, Ettore Guastella, and Manfredi Rizzo.
- 2012 OvidVania Nosé.
- 2008 Springereditors, Hans G. Beger, Seiki Matsuno, and John L. Cameron.
- 2012 SpringerAngelo A. Licata, Edgar V. Lerma, editors.1. Molecular Mechanisms of Parathyroid Hormone Synthesis / Tally Naveh-Many and Morris Nechama -- 2. Regulation of Calcium and Phosphate Metabolism / Arthur D. Conigrave -- 3. Diagnosis and Treatment of the Patient with Abnormal Calcium / Elizabeth H. Holt -- 4. The Calcium-Sensing Receptor: Physiology and Pathophysiology / Friedhelm Raue and Christine Haag -- 5. New Concepts for Primary and Secondary Hyperparathyroidism / Joachim Beige and Peter Lamesch -- 6. Calcific Uremic Arteriolopathy (Calciphylaxis) / Earl H. Rudolph and Edgar V. Lerma -- 7. Cystic Parathyroid Lesions / Jean-François Henry and Maurizio Iacobone -- 8. Parathyroid Cancer / Maurizio Iacobone and Jean-François Henry -- 9. Biochemistry, Physiology, and Pathophysiology of Parathyroid Hormone-Related Peptide / Bandana Chakravarti, Shailendra K. Dhar Dwivedi, Ambrish Mithal and Naibedya Chattopadhyay -- 10. Ectopic Parathyroid Glands / Jean-François Henry and Maurizio Iacobone -- 11. Hyperparathyroidism in Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia / Syeda S. Zaidi, Vipul T. Lakhani and James T. Broome -- 12. Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia / Ogo I. Egbuna and Edward M. Brown -- 13. Hyperparathyroidism-Jaw Tumor Syndrome / Andrew C. Calabria and Michael A. Levine -- 14. Hypoparathyroidism and Pseudohypoparathyroidism / Rajesh V. Thakker -- 15. Primary Hyperparathyroidism in Neonates and Children / Eric Mallet and Mireille Castanet -- 16. Hypoparathyroidism in Children / Anne Lienhardt-Roussie and Agnès Linglart -- 17. Parathormone Resistance in Children / Agnès Linglart and Eric Mallet -- 18. The Use of Ultrasonography in the Management of Parathyroid Diseases / Zvonimir L. Milas and Mira Milas -- 19. Imaging in Parathyroid Diseases / Donald R. Neumann and Joyce J. Shin -- 20. Parathyroid Surgery / Zvonimir L. Milas and Mira Milas.
- 2007 Kargervolume editors, Gerasimos E. Krassas, Scott A. Rivkees, Wieland Kiess.Ontogenesis and anatomy of the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis / Tsoumalis, G.; Tsatsoulis, A -- Thyroid disease during pregnancy / Lazarus, J.H -- Thyroid function in the newborn and infant / Spiliotis, B.E. -- Pediatric aspects of thyroid function and iodine / Knobel, M., Medeiros-Neto, G -- Thyroid hormone transport and actions / Feldt-Rasmussen, U., Rasmussen, Å.K. -- The thyroid and autoimmunity in children and adolescents / Weetman, A.P. -- Congenital hypothyroidism / Karges, B., Kiess, W. -- Newborn screening, hypothyroidism in infants, children and adolescents / Büyükgebiz, A. -- Resistance to thyroid hormone in childhood / Bakker, O. -- Pendred syndrome / Kassem, S., Glaser, B. -- Treatment of hyperthyroidism due to Graves' disease in children / Rivkees, S.A. -- Thyroid-associated ophthalmopathy in juvenile Graves' disease: clinical, endocrine and therapeutic aspects / Krassas, G.E., Gogakos, A. -- Differentiated thyroid carcinoma in pediatric age / Wiersinga, W.M. -- Imaging of the normal and affected thyroid in childhood / Bennedbæk, F.N., Hegedüs, L. -- Thyroid and other autoimmune diseases with emphasis on type 1 diabetes mellitus and Turner syndrome / Kapellen, T. ...[et al.] -- Thyroid and trace elements in children and adolescence / Kahaly, G.J.
- 2008 Kargervolume editors, C.E. Flück, Walter L. Miller.Steroidogenic enzymes / Miller, W.L. -- Disorders of adrenal development / Ferraz-de-Souza, B.; Achermann, J.C. -- Adrenal androgens in humans and nonhuman primates: production, zonation and regulation / Nguyen, A.D.; Conley, A.J. -- Clinical implications of androgen synthesis via 5[alpha]-reduced precursors / Ghayee, H.J.; Auchus, R.J. -- P450 oxidoreductase deficiency: a new form of congenital adrenal hyperplasia / Flück, C.E. ... [et al.] -- Long-term outcome of prenatal treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia / Lajic, S.; Nordenström, A.; Hirvikoski, T. -- Adrenocorticotropin resistance syndromes / Cooray, S.N. ... [et al.] -- Cushing Syndrome caused by adrenocortical tumors and hyperplasias (corticotropin-independent Cushing Syndrome) / Stratakis, S.A. -- The role of adrenal steroidogenesis in arterial hypertension / Mohaupt, M.G. -- Fetal programming of adrenal androgen excess: lessons from a nonhuman primate model of polycystic ovary syndrome / Abbott, D.H. ... [et al.].
- Doves, diplomats, and diabetes : a Darwinian interpretation of Type 2 Diabetes and related disorders2013 SpringerMilind Watve.1. A Darwinian Way of Thinking -- 2. Diabetes in a Textbook -- 3. Diabetes in an Undergraduate Class -- 4. The Rise and Fall of Thrift -- 5. Of Hawks and Doves -- 6. Of Soldiers and Diplomats -- 7. The Physiology of Aggression -- 8. Deploying the Immunological Garrison -- 9. Why Population Density Matters -- 10. Time to Give Up Stress -- 11. Fat: Beyond Energy Storage -- 12. Why Blood Sugar Goes Up -- 13. Beating Around the "Wrong" Bush? -- 14. Behavioral Deficiencies and Behavioral Supplementation -- 15. Where Do We Go From Here?
- 2015 SpringerAbhimanyu Garg.Dyslipidemias: Pathophysiology, Evaluation and Management provides a wealth of general and detailed guidelines for the clinical evaluation and management of lipid disorders in adults and children. Covering the full range of common through rare lipid disorders, this timely resource offers targeted, practical information for all clinicians who care for patients with dyslipidemias, including general internists, pediatric and adult endocrinologists, pediatricians, lipidologists, cardiologists, internists, and geneticists. For the last twenty years, there has been a growing recognition worldwide of the importance of managing dyslipidemia for the primary and secondary prevention of atherosclerotic vascular disease, especially coronary heart disease. This has been mainly due to the publication of the guidelines of National Cholesterol Education Programs Adult Treatment Panel and Pediatric Panel from the United States. These guidelines have stimulated generation of similar recommendations from all over the world, particularly Europe, Canada, Australia and Asia. Developed by a renowned group of leading international experts, the book offers state-of-the-art chapters that are peer-reviewed and represent a comprehensive assessment of the field. A major addition to the literature, Dyslipidemias: Pathophysiology, Evaluation and Management is a gold-standard level reference for all clinicians who are challenged to provide the best care and new opportunities for patients with dyslipidemias.
- 2016 SpringerClaire Bouvattier, Catherine Pienkowski, editors.1. Current findings in epidemiology -- 2. Precocious puberty and environmental endocrine disruptors -- 3. Neuroendocrine control of puberty -- 4. Puberty in particular situations -- 5. Clinical and biological diagnosis of central precocious puberty -- 6. Etiological diagnosis of central precocious puberty -- 7. Precocious puberty therapeutic management: GnRH analogs treatment -- 8. Midterm and long-term impacts of GnRH agonists treatment.
- 2011 SpringerJohn Dennison, Charles Oxnard, Peter Obendorf.
- 2009 CRCnetBASERobert F. Dons and Frank H. Wians Jr.This volume updates its classic predecessor in both content and format. Written by two of the respected authorities in diagnostic endocrinology, it includes detailed information on how to perform and interpret those laboratory test procedures used to confirm the clinical diagnosis of the majority of known endocrine disorders. Newly designed, it provides a standardized format that makes it easier to access complete information about the diagnosis, screening, and management of traditional and newly perceived endocrine disorders. It provides sample calculations to assist with complex formulas as well as ICD-9 codes for all procedures.
- 2013 ClinicalKeyBruce A. White, Susan P. Porterfield.Introduction to the endocrine system -- Endocrine function of the gastrointestinal tract -- Energy metabolism -- Calcium and phosphate homeostasis -- Hypothalamus-pituitary complex -- The thyroid gland -- The adrenal gland -- Life cycle of the male and female reproductive system -- The male reproductive system -- The female reproductive system -- Fertilization, pregnancy, and lactation.
- 2009 CRCnetBASEedited by James Devillers.In silico methods for modeling endocrine disruption / James Devillers -- Mechanisms of endocrine disruptions : a tentative overview / Jean-Marc Porcher, James Devillers, and Nathalie Marchand-Geneste -- Population dynamics modeling : a tool for environmental risk assessment of endocrine disrupting chemicals / Andrew R. Brown ... [et al.] -- Application of pharmacokinetic modeling to understand the mechanism of action of endocrine disrupting chemicals / James Devillers -- Comparative modeling review of nuclear hormone receptor superfamily / Nathalie Marchand-Geneste and James Devillers -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Endocrine Disruptor Knowledge Base (EDKB) : lessons learned in QSAR modeling and applications / Hong Fang ... [et al.] -- A structure-activity relationship (SAR) analysis for the identification of environmental estrogens : the categorical-SAR (cat-SAR) approach / Albert R. Cunningham ... [et al.] -- Kohonen and counterpropagation neural networks employed for modeling endocrine disruptors / Marjana Novič and Marjan Vračko -- Quantitative spectrometric data-activity relationships (QSDAR) models of endocrine disruptor binding activities / Richard D. Beger, Dan A. Buzatu, and Jon G. Wilkes -- Mechanism-based modeling of estrogen receptor binding affinity : a Common Reactivity Pattern (COREPA) implementation / Ovanes Mekenyan and Rossitsa Serafimova -- Molecular field analysis methods for modeling endocrine disruptors / Jean-Pierre Doucet and Annick Panaye -- Structure-activity modeling of a diverse set of androgen receptor ligands / James Devillers ... [et al.] -- SAR and QSAR analyses of substituted dibenzoylhydrazines for their mode of action as ecdysone agonists / Toshio Fujita and Yoshiaki Nakagawa -- e-Endocrine disrupting chemical databases for deriving SAR and QSAR models / Nathalie Marchand-Geneste ... [et al.].
- 2012 Springeredited by Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarakis, Andrea C. Gore.1. Introduction to Endocrine Disruptors and Puberty / Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarakis and Andrea C. Gore -- pt. I. EDCs, Endocrine Systems, and Puberty -- 2. In Utero Exposure to Environmental Chemicals: Lessons from Maternal Cigarette Smoking and Its Effects on Gonad Development and Puberty / Rebecca McKinlay, Peter O'Shaughnessey, Richard M. Sharpe, and Paul A. Fowler -- 3. Reproductive Neuroendocrine Targets of Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors / Sarah M. Dickerson, Stephanie L. Cunningham, and Andrea C. Gore -- 4. Endocrine Disruptors and Puberty Disorders from Mice to Men (and Women) / Alberto Mantovani -- 5. Thyroid Hormone Regulation of Mammalian Reproductive Development and the Potential Impact of Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals / Kara Renee Thoemke, Thomas William Bastian, and Grant Wesley Anderson -- pt. II. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors and adverse reproductive outcomes -- 6. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors and Ovarian Function / Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarakis, Eleni Palioura, Eleni A. Kandaraki -- 7. Developmental Exposure to Environmental Endocrine Disruptors and Adverse Effects on Mammary Gland Development / Suzanne E. Fenton, Lydia M. Beck, Aditi R. Borde, and Jennifer L. Rayner -- 8. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors and Male Urogenital Tract Malformations / Mariana F. Fernandez and Nicolas Olea -- 9. EDC Exposures and the Development of Reproductive and Nonreproductive Behaviors / Craige C. Wrenn, Ashwini Mallappa, and Amy B. Wisniewski -- pt. III. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors and Metabolic Disorders -- 10. Adipocytes as Target Cells for Endocrine Disruption / Amanda Janesick and Bruce Blumberg -- 11. Altered Glucose Homeostasis Resulting from Developmental Exposures to Endocrine Disruptors / Alan Schneyer and Melissa Brown -- 12. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals: Is There a Connection with Birth and Childhood Weights? / Elizabeth E. Hatch, Jessica W. Nelson, Rebecca Troisi, and Linda Titus -- pt. IV. EDCs and Human Health -- 13. The Impact of Endocrine Disruptors on Female Pubertal Timing / Jean-Pierre Bourguignon and Anne-Simone Parent -- 14. The Influence of Endocrine Disruptors on Male Pubertal Timing / Xiufeng Wu, Ningning Zhang, and Mary M. Lee -- 15. Secular Trends in Pubertal Timing: A Role for Environmental Chemical Exposure? / Vincent F. Garry and Peter Truran.
- 2014 WileySushil K. Khetan.Environmental endocrine disruptors -- Part I. Mechanisms of hormonal action and putative endocrine disruptors. Mechanisms of endocrine system function -- Environmental chemicals targeting estrogen signaling pathways -- Anti-androgenic chemicals -- Thyroid-disrupting chemicals -- Activators of PPAR, RXR, AhR, and steriodogenic factor 1 -- Effects of EDC mixtures -- Environmentally induced epigenetic modifications and transgenerational effects -- -- Part II. Removal mechanisms of EDCs through biotic and abiotic processes. Biodegradations and biotransformations of selected examples of EDCs -- Abiotic degradations / transformations of EDCs through oxidation processes -- -- Part III. Screening and testiing for potential EDCs, implications for water quality sustainability, policy and regulatory issues, and green chemistry principles in the design of safe chemicals and remediation of EDCs. Screening and testing programs for EDCs -- Trace contaminants : implications for water quality sustainability -- Policy and regulatory considerations for EDCs -- Green chemistry principles in the designing and screening for safe chemicals and remediation of EDCs.
- 2014 SpringerLynn Loriaux, editor.Endocrine Emergencies: Recognition and Treatment offers a state-of-the-art update on the management of endocrine, diabetic, and metabolic emergencies. Developed by renowned experts, this comprehensive and easy to read title brings the field fully up to date, setting a high standard for diagnosis and treatment in each category. All chapters begin with a summary that presents, in concentrated form, what the physician needs to know to begin the evaluation and emergency treatment of the known endocrine emergencies. This is followed by an extended discussion of the pathophysiology that can be read after initial treatment has begun. Covering such areas as hypoglycemia, acute adrenal insufficiency, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, thyroid storm, and pituitary apoplexy, just to name several, Endocrine Emergencies: Recognition and Treatment is an invaluable, practical resource that will be of great interest to endocrinologists, internal medicine and emergency room physicians, fellows and residents.
- 2012 Springeredited by Makoto Kuro-o.The Structural Biology of the FGF19 Subfamily / Andrew Beenken and Moosa Mohammadi -- Klotho and βKlotho / Makoto Kuro-o -- FGF23 and Syndromes of Abnormal Renal Phosphate Handling / Clemens Bergwitz and Harald Jüppner -- Evidence for FGF23 Involvement in a Bone-Kidney Axis Regulating Bone Mineralization and Systemic Phosphate and Vitamin D Homeostasis / Aline Martin and L. Darryl Quarles -- FGF23, Klotho and Vitamin D Interactions: What Have We Learned from In Vivo Mouse Genetics Studies? / M. Shawkat Razzaque -- FGF23 and the Parathyroid / Justin Silver and Tally Naveh-Many -- Regulation of Ion Channels by Secreted Klotho / Chou-Long Huang -- FGF23 in Chronic Kidney Disease / Patricia Wahl and Myles Wolf -- Secreted Klotho and Chronic Kidney Disease / Ming Chang Hu, Makoto Kuro-o and Orson W. Moe -- FGF23 as a Novel Therapeutic Target / Takashi Shimada and Seiji Fukumoto -- Physiology of FGF15/19 / Stacey A. Jones -- FGF19 and Cancer / Benjamin C. Lin and Luc R. Desnoyers -- Understanding the Structure-Function Relationship between FGF19 and Its Mitogenic and Metabolic Activities / Xinle Wu and Yang Li -- FGF21 as a Therapeutic Reagent / Yang Zhao, James D. Dunbar and Alexei Kharitonenkov.Also available: Print – 2012
- 2013 SpringerChristian A. Koch, George P. Chrousos, editors.Machine generated contents note: pt. I Adrenal Hypertension -- 1. Primary Aldosteronism: Progress in Diagnosis, Therapy, and Genetics / Franco Veglio -- 2. Syndromes of Mineralocorticoid Excess / Christian A. Koch -- 3. Hypertension in Patients with Cushing's Syndrome / George P. Chrousos -- 4. Primary Generalized Familial and Sporadic Glucocorticoid Resistance (Chrousos Syndrome) and Hypersensitivity / George P. Chrousos -- 5. Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia / Deborah P. Merke -- 6. Adrenal Incidentalomas and Arterial Hypertension / George P. Chrousos -- 7. Pheochromocytoma: Unmasking the Chameleon / Karel Pacak -- pt. II Other Potential Causes of Endocrine Hypertension -- 8. Hypertension in Growth Hormone Excess and Deficiency / George R. Merriam -- 9. Primary Hyperparathyroidism and Hypertension / Shonni J. Silverberg -- 10. Hypertension, Vitamin D Deficiency, and Calcium Metabolism / Vin Tangpricha -- 11. Testosterone Deficiency or Male Hypogonadism / Michael Zitzmann -- 12. Insulin Resistance and Hypertension / Helmut O. Steinberg -- 13. Obesity-Associated Hypertension / Gabriel I. Uwaifo -- 14. Central Mineralocorticoid Receptors and Cardiovascular Disease / Elise P. Gomez-Sanchez.
- 2009 Kargervolume editors, Marco Cappa, Mohamad Maghnie, Sandro Loche, Gian Franco Bottazzo.Inherited and sporadic epimutations at the IGF2-H19 locus in Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome and Wilms' tumor / Riccio, A. ... [et al.] -- Epigenetic regulation of growth : lessons from Silver-Russell syndrome / Eggermann, T. -- Genetic imprinting : the paradigm of Prader-Willi and Angelman syndromes / Gurrieri, F., Accadia, M. -- Muscle involvement and IGF-1 signaling in genetic disorders : new therapeutic approaches / Barberi, L. ... [et al.] -- Mitochondrial encephalomyopathies and related syndromes : brief review / Bertini, E., D'Amico A. -- Overgrowth syndromes : a classification / Neri, G., Moscarda, M. -- C-type natriuretic peptide and overgrowth / Bocciardi, R., Ravazzolo, R. -- Role of transcription factors in midline central nervous system and pituitary defects / Kelberman, D., Dattani, M.T. -- Developmental abnormalities of the posterior pituitary gland / Di Iorgi, N. ... [et al.] -- Hyperinsulinism in developmental syndromes / Kapoor, R.R., James, C., Hussain, K. -- Developmental syndromes : growth hormone deficiency and treatment / Mazzanti, L. ... [et al.] -- Growth hormone-resistant syndromes : long-term follow-up / Chernausek, S.D. -- Phenotypic aspects of growth hormone- and IGF-I-resistant syndromes / Savage, M.O. ... [et al.] -- Double diabetes : a mixture of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in youth / Pozzilli, P., Guglielmi, C. -- Cryptorchidism as part of the testicular dysgenesis syndrome : the environmental connection / Main, K.M., Skakkebaek, N.E., Toppari, J. -- Disorders of sex development in developmental syndromes / Hiort, O., Gillessen-Kaesbach, G.
- 2008 ScienceDirectedited by Sara E. Walker and Luis J. Jara.This book is one of the first to evaluate the role of Steroids in autoimmune rheumatic diseases from the basic mechanisms to the clinical involvements and focuses on the importance of steroidal hormones in the pathogenesis and therapeutical management of the autoimmune rheumatic diseases. In particular, the chapters analyze the mechanisms of action and the involvement of adrenal steroids (glucocorticoids) in the neuroendocrine immune system, including the effects on elderly. The perturbations of the HPA axis as source of altered steroidal sythesis will be discussed and related to some interesting pathological conditions often complicating the autoimmune rheumatic diseases susch as psychosis or fibromyalgia. Concerning the role of gonadal steroids (sex hormones), several chapters will discuss clinical and epidemiological evidences of their role, as well as their effects as risk factors in autoimmune rheumatic diseases, including a section in Pediatrics. *The premier issue evaluating the role of Steroids in autoimmune rheumatic diseases from the basic mechanisms to the clinical involvements *Documents the latest research and indicate recent and coming new therapeutical-biological approaches to the therapy *The book will present therapeutical perspectives concerning the new glucocorticoids, and the effects of biological drugs on their synthesis.
- 2010 SpringerCord Sturgeon, editor.Part. I Thyroid.-- Biology of thyroid oncogenesis / Insoo Suh, Electron Kebebew.-- Evaliation of the thyroid nodule / Dina M. Elaraj.-- Differentiated thyroid cancers of follicular cell origin / Linwah Yip, Sally E. Carty.-- Sporadic medullary thyroid cancer / Adrian Harvey, Janice L. Pasieka.-- Anaplastic thyroid cancer / Alan P.B. Dackiw.-- Part II. Parathyroid.-- Primary hyperparathyroidism / Kaitlyn J. Kelly, Herbert Chen, Rebecca S. Sippel.-- Parathyromatosis and parathyroid cancer / Wen T. Shen.-- Part III. Incidentaloma / Jacob Malem, Insoo Suh, Quan-Yang Duh.-- Pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma / Goswin Y. Meyer-Rochow, Stan B. Sidhu.-- Functional cortical neoplasms / Ali Zarrinpar, Michael W. Yeh.-- Adrenocortical carcinoma / Patsy S.H. Soon, Stan B. Sidhu.-- Part IV. Pnacreatic neuroendocrine tumors.-- Gastrinoma / Anthony J. Chambers, Janice L. Pasieka.-- Insulinoma / Kimberly Vanderveen, Clive Grant.-- Rare neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas / Shih-Ping Cheng, Gerard M. Doherty.-- Part V. Multiple endocrine neoplasia.-- Menin gene / Hsin-Chieh Jennifer Shen, Steven K. Libutti.-- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type I: clinical manifestations and management / Anathea C. Powell, Steven K. Libutti.-- RET protooncogene / Amber L. Traugott, Jeffrey F. Moley.-- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2: clinical manifestations and management / Amber L. Traugott, Jeffrey F. Moely.Also available: Print – 2010
- 2010 SpringerRicardo V. Lloyd, editor.Methods in cellular and molecular pathology / Paul Komminoth ... [et al.] -- Hypothalamus and neurohypophysis / Kazuhiro Takahashi, Osamu Murakami, and Toraichi Mouri -- Tumors in the adenohypophysis / Fateme Salehi ... [et al.] -- Recent developments in molecular embryogenesis and molecular biology of the pituitary / Robert Y. Osamura and Noboru Egashira -- Recent developments in the molecular biology of pituitary tumors / Ricardo V. Lloyd -- The pineal gland / Katherine M. Lindstrom and M. Beatriz S. Lopes -- The parathyroid / H. Rubén Harach -- Recent developments in the molecular biology of the parathyroid / Vânia Nosé and Ashraf Khan -- Pathology of thyroid gland / Ashraf Khan and Vânia Nosé -- Recent developments in the molecular biology of the thyroid / Yuri E. Nikiforov -- Adrenal cortex / Hironobu Sasano ... [et al.] -- Adrenal medulla and paraganglia / Anne Marie McNicol -- Molecular biology of pheochromocytomas and paragangliomas / Elizabeth E. King and Patricia L.M. Dahia -- Endocrine ovaries / Xavier Matias Guiu -- Endocrine testis / Robert E. Emerson, Liang Cheng, and Thomas M. Ulbright -- Endocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal system / Guido Rindi ... [et al.] -- The endocrine pancreas / Stefano La Rosa ... [et al.] -- Neuroendocrine differentiation patterns in various organs (including lung, breast, skin, and urogenital tract) / Marco Volante ... [et al.] -- Endocrine lung / William D. Travis -- Cutaneous neuroendocrine tumors / Lori A. Erickson -- Neuroendocrine carcinomas of the thymus / Cesar A. Moran and Saul Suster -- Endocrine placenta / Raymond W. Redline -- Fine needle aspiration cytology of endocrine glands / Ema A. Dragoescu and Celeste N. Powers -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome / Kennichi Kakudo, Yasuhiro Ito, and Masahide Takahashi -- Polyglandular autoimmune diseases / Ricardo V. Lloyd -- Biochemical testing for neuroendocrine tumors / Aaron I. Vinik and Maria P. Silva -- Surgical management of endocrine disorders / Joseph B. Lillegard, Travis J. McKenzie, and Geoffrey B. Thompson -- Medical treatment of neuroendocrine tumors / Timothy J. Hobday -- Radiation treatment of endocrine tumors / Sunil Krishnan, Deepa Suresh, and Robert L. Foote -- Future directions in endocrine pathology / Ricardo V. Lloyd.
- 2013 AccessMedicinePatricia E. Molina.This book provides comprehensive coverage of the fundamental concepts of hormone biological action. These concepts provide a solid foundation for understanding the physiologic mechanisms involved in neuroendocrine regulation of organ function. -- Publisher description
- 2013 ScienceDirect2013 ClinicalKey[edited by] Michael T. McDermott.Continues the tradition of the Secrets Series®, offering fast answers to the most essential clinical endocrinology questions. The Q&A format includes pearls, tips, and memory aids to help you to learn and study efficiently. Provides a concise board review or handy clinical endocrinology resource.
- 2009 SpringerJohnathan G.H. Hubbard, William B. Inabnet, and Chung-Yau Lo (eds.).
- 2014 ClinicalKeyedited by Tom W.J. Lennard.Parathyroid disease / William B. Inabnet III, James A. Lee, and Barnard J.A. Palmer -- The thyroid gland / James C. Lee, Justin S. Gundara, and Stanley B. Sidhu -- The adrenal glands / Sebastian Aspinall -- Familial endocrine disease : genetics, clinical presentation, and management / Paul Brennan, Stephen G. Ball, and T.W.J. Lennard -- Endocrine tumours of the pancreas / Robin M. Cisco and Jeffrey A. Norton -- Gastrointestinal neuroendocrine tumours / Goran Akerstrom, Per Hellman, and Ola Hessman -- Clinical governance, ethics, and medico-legal aspects of endocrine surgery / Peter Angelos and Barnard J. Harrison -- The salivary glands / Paula Bradley, James O'Hara, and Janet Wilson.
- 2013 Kargervolume editor, Constantine A. Stratakis.Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 / Agarwal, S.K. -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 / Lodish, M. -- Von Hippel-Lindau syndrome / Chou, A. ... [et al.] -- Carney complex -- Espiard, S., Bertherat, J. -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 4 / Lee, M., Pellegata, N.S. -- Novel hereditary forms of pheochromocytomas and paragangliomas / Dahia, P.L.M. -- Carney triad / Carney, J.A. -- Genetics of pituitary adenomas / Gadelha, M.R. ... [et al.] -- Clinical behavior and genetics of nonsyndromic, familial nonmedullary thyroid cancer / Bauer, A.J. -- Genetic defects associated with familial and sporadic hyperparathyroidism / Hendy, G.N., Cole, D.E.C. -- Endocrine tumors associated with neurofibromatosis type 1, Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, and other familial neoplasia syndromes / Kalkan, E., Waguespack, S.G.
- v. 25-, 2007- SpringerMelmed, Shlomo.
- Acute endocrinology : from cause to consequence — Endocrine updates (100)
- Endocrine-disrupting chemicals : from basic research to clinical practice — Neuroendocrine tumours : diagnosis and management (100)
- Neuroendocrinology. [Part I], The Normal neuroendocrine system. 1st ed. — Transsphenoidal surgery. 1st ed. (100)
- Treatment of postoperative complications after digestive surgery — Yen and Jaffe's Reproductive endocrinology : physiology, pathophysiology, and clinical management. 7th ed. (17)
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more.
Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.MicroMedex: Premier pharmaceutical information source containing multiple databases and drug reference tools. Of particular value is DRUGDEX Evaluations, one of the most comprehensive drug sources available.DynaMed is a clinical information resource used by physicians to answer clinical questions quickly and easily at the point of care. Topics are updated daily as new evidence becomes available.Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings.A drug information resource containing: American Hospital Formulary System (AHFS), drug formulary for Lucile Packard Children's Hospital (LPCH) and Stanford Hospital & Clinics (SHC), Lexi-Drugs (adverse reactions, dosage and administration, mechanism of action, storage, use, and administration information), Lexi-Calc, Lexi-ID, Lexi-I.V. Compatibility (King Guide), Lexi-Interact, and Lexi-PALS.Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature (CINAHL) contains coverage of nursing and allied health literature.A knowledge database that provides access to topic reviews based on over 6000 clinically relevant articles. The evidence-based content, updated regularly, provides the latest practice guidelines in 59 medical specialtiesProvides critical assessments of systematic reviews compiled from a variety of medical journals.Selects from the biomedical literature original studies and systematic reviews that are immediately clinically relevant and then summarizes these articles in an enhanced abstract with expert commentary.
Multidisciplinary coverage of over 10,000 high-impact journals in the sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities, as well as international proceedings coverage for over 120,000 conferences.
Includes cited reference searching, citation maps, and an analyze tool.
Features systematic reviews that summarize the effects of interventions and makes a determination whether the intervention is efficacious or not.
Cochrane reviews are created through a strict process of compiling and analyzing data from multiple randomized control trials to ensure comprehensiveness and reliability.Provides systematic coverage of the psychological literature from the 1800s to the present through articles, book chapters and dissertations.BMJ Clinical Evidence. A clinical information tool built around systematic reviews summarizing the current state of knowledge about prevention and treatment of clinical conditions.PIER (Physicians' Information and Education Resource) is a Web-based decision-support tool designed for rapid point-of-care delivery of up-to-date, evidence-based guidance for primary care physicians.Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) provides access to 300,000 controlled trials that have been identified the Cochrane Collaboration.Provides drug information targeted for patients.A continually updating drug monograph.The National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC): A comprehensive database of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines and related documents.MedlinePlus: A repository of health information from the National Library of Medicine. Links are from trusted sites. No advertising, no endorsement of commercial companies or productsLPCH CareNotes via MicroMedex: Patient education handouts customized by LPCH clinical staffMicromedex Lab Advisor: Evidence based laboratory test informationA drug database organized by generic name, trade name and drug class.LPCH / Stanford Hospital Formulary.A goldmine of trusted consumer health information from the world's largest medical library.A trusted source of expert advice for and about kids, providing the information necessary to help patients and parents understand their unique needs.Provides patient handouts from the American Academy of Family Physician.Access to the Stanford Health Library for patients.Lane provides access to over 5,000 eBooks many of which provide helpful background material that will prepare you to better tackle primary literature.
Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities.
In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.
A web-based, decision support system for infectious diseases, epidemiology, microbiology and antimicrobial chemotherapy. The database, updated weekly, currently includes 337 diseases, 224 countries, 1,147 microbial taxa and 306 antibacterial (-fungal, -parasitic, -viral) agents and vaccines.
Over 10,000 notes outline the status of specific infections within each country.
Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers.
Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.