Books by Subject
View by page
- Acute endocrinology from cause to consequence — Evidence-based endocrinology. 2nd ed. (100)
- Frontiers in gynecological endocrinology Volume 1, from symptoms to therapies — Pediatric genetics and inborn errors of metabolism a practically painless review (100)
- Pediatric neuroendocrinology — Yen and Jaffe's Reproductive endocrinology physiology, pathophysiology, and clinical management. 7th ed. (76)
- Acute endocrinology from cause to consequence 2008Springer
- Adipokines 2012CRCnetBASE1. Acylation stimulating protein (ASP) as an adipokine / Thea Scantlebury-Manning -- 2. Adiponectin as an adipokine / Zhikui Wei and G. William Wong -- 3. Adipsin as an adipokine / Yu-Feng Zhao and Chen Chen -- 4. Adrenomedullin as a cytokine / Alexis Elias Malavazos and Gianluca Iacobellis -- 5. Angiotensinogen as an adipokine / Miki Nagase and Toshiro Fujita -- 6. Apelin as an adipokine / Despina D. Briana and Ariadne Malamitsi-Puchner -- 7. C1q/TNF-related proteins (CTRPs) as adipokines / Jonathan M. Peterson and G. William Wong -- 8. Fasting-induced adipose factor/angiopoietin-like protein 4 as an adipokine / Sander Kersten -- Interleukins as adipokines / Kirsten Prüfer Stone -- Leptin as an adipokine: important definitions and applications for cancer research / Barbara Stadterman [and others] -- Omentin as an adipokine: role in health and disease / Anne M. Lenz and Frank Diamond -- Plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 (Pai-1) as an adipokine / Francis Agyemang-Yeboah -- Resistin as an adipokine / Zhikui Wei and G. William Wong -- Retinol-binding protein 4 as an adipokine / Elmar Aigner and Christian Datz -- TNF-α as an adipokine / Theron C. Gilliland, Jr. and G. William Wong -- Transforming growth factor as an adipokine / Yutaka Yata and Terumi Takahara -- Vaspin as an adipokine: a link between obesity and metabolic alterations / Peter Kovacs, Matthias Blüher, and Gabriela Aust -- Visfatin as an adipokine / Ariadne Malamitsi-Puchner and Despina D. Briana -- Thermal stress and adipokines expression / Umberto Bernabucci, Patrizia Morera, and Loredana Basiricò -- Central nervous system roles for adiponectin in neuroendocrine and autonomic function / Ted D. Hoyda, Willis K. Samson, and Alastair V. Ferguson -- The astroglial leptin receptors and obesity / Weihong Pan [and others] -- Adipokines and obesity / Alberto O. Chavez and Devjit Tripathy -- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and adipokines / Stergios A. Polyzos, Jannis Kountouras, and Christos Zavos -- Endocrine disruptors, adipokines, and the metabolic syndrome / Eric R. Hugo and Nira Ben-Jonathan -- Adipokines and the heart / Gianluca Iacobellis -- Adipokines as mediators of rheumatic disease / Deborah M. Levy and Earl D. Silverman -- Adipokines and allergy / Giorgio Ciprandi [and others] -- Adipokines and sleep disorders / Kapil Dhawan [and others] -- Adipokines in children and adolescents and implications for disease / HuiLing Lu and Katherine Cianflone -- Role of leptin in immune cell development and innate immunity / Pamela J. Fraker and Afia Naaz -- Visfatin and hypocaloric diets / D.A. de Luis and R. Aller -- Apelin in energy metabolism / Isabelle Castan-Laurell and Philippe Valet -- Adiponectin deficiency / Wayne Bond Lau [and others] -- Adiponectin enhances inflammation in rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts and chondrocytes / Natsuko Kusunoki, Kanako Kitahara, and Shinichi Kawai -- Resistin, imflammation and seminal fluid / Uwe Paasch [and others] -- Resistin in amniotic fluid / Shali Mazaki-Tovi [and others].
- The field of adipose tissue biology has been expanding at a very rapid pace in the last few years. Numerous advances have been made since publication of the first edition of this book, in terms of basic adipocyte biology, understanding of the determinants of obesity, distribution of body fat and weight loss, as well as the mechanisms linking excess adiposity to various co-morbidities. Adipose Tissue and Adipokines in Health and Disease, Second Edition contains updated chapters from the previous volume but as the field has evolved, some areas covered in the first edition have been refocused to address the new knowledge. The volume is divided in four sections: the first two deal with basic adipose tissue and adipokine biology, while the last two address the problem of obesity and alterations in adipose tissue function from an epidemiological and clinical standpoint. The chapters are written by experts in their fields and include the most up to date scientific information. Adipose Tissue and Adipokines in Health and Disease, Second Edition is a useful resource for physicians interested in adipose tissue biology and basic scientists who want to know more about applied aspects of the field. The book targets endocrinologists, residents and fellows, internists, nutritionists and general practitioners who are exposed to an ever-expanding obese population.
- Adipose tissue development from animal models to clinical conditions : 3rd ESPE Advanced Seminar in Developmental Endocrinology, Paris, March 12-13, 2009 2010KargerHuman lipodystrophies : genetic and acquired diseases of adipose tissue / Capeau, J. ... [et al.] -- The emergence of adipocytes / Laharrague, P.; Casteilla, L. -- Adipose tissue and the reproductive axis : biological aspects / Hausman, G.J.; Barb, C.R -- Unraveling the obesity and breast cancer links : a role for cancer-associated adipocytes? / Dirat, B. ... [et al.] -- Early determinants of obesity / Ong, K -- Metabolic syndrome in childhood : causes and effects / Weiss, R. -- Pathophysiology of insulin resistance in small for gestational age subjects : a role for adipose tissue? / Beltrand, J.; Meas, T.; Levy-Marchal, C. -- The neural feedback loop between the brain and adipose tissues / Pénicaud, L.
- Adrenal imaging 2009SpringerAdrenal embryology and pathology -- Adrenocortical dysfunction -- Adrenal medullary dysfunction -- Adrenals in oncology -- Adrenal surgery -- Imaging adrenal dysfunction -- Imaging of pheochromocytomas -- Adrenal imaging using computed tomography: differentiation of adenomas and metastasis -- MRI of the adrenal glands -- Single photon imaging of the adrenal gland -- PET and PET-CT imaging of adrenal lesions -- Adrenal trauma and intervention -- Evolving functional and advanced image analysis techniques for adrenal lesion characterization.
- Advances in neuroendocrine tumor management 2011Future MedAdvances in neuroendocrine tumor management / Kjell Öberg -- Classification of digestive neuroendocrine neoplasm / Guido Rindi & Frediano Inzani -- Molecular profile and diagnosis / Christos Toumpanakis -- Surgical approach / Rossella Bettini & Massimo Falconi -- Somatostatin analogs / Wouter W. de Herder -- Combinational chemotherapy and radiotherapy / Emilio Bajetta, Emilio Bombardieri, Laura Catena, Monica Valente & Nadia Bianco -- Which therapy for which patient? / Kjell Öberg.
- Advances in rapid sex-steroid action new challenges and new chances in breast and prostate cancers 2012Springer[1.] Non-genomic Action of Steroid Hormones: More Questions than Answers / Antimo Migliaccio, Gabriella Castoria, Antonio Bilancio, Pia Giovannelli, Marzia Di Donato and Ferdinando Auricchio -- Part I. Breast Cancer -- [2.] Progesterone Signaling to Chromatin in Breast Cancer Cells. Two Initial Cycles of Remodeling / Guillermo P. Vicent, Roser Zaurin, Cecilia Ballaré, A. Silvina Nacht, Roni H. G. Wright, Francois Le Dily, Giancarlo Castellano, Jofre Font-Mateu and Miguel Beato -- [3.] Cooperative Interactions Between c-Src, Estrogen Receptors and Receptor Tyrosine Kinases in Breast Cancer / Sarah J. Parsons, Jessica E. Pritchard, Emily M. Fox and Margaret A. Shupnik -- [4.] Cross Talk Between ER[alpha] and Src Signaling and Its Relevance to ER Status and Hormone Responsiveness / Jun Sun, Wen Zhou, Zafar Nawaz and Joyce M. Slingerland -- [5.] Post-translational Modifications of ER Alpha in Rapid Estrogen's Action / Muriel Le Romancer, Coralie Poulard, Stéphanie Sentis, and Laura Corbo -- [6.] Sex-Steroid Rapid Action and Its Role in Invasiveness and Metastasis of Breast Cancer / Marina Ines Flamini, Angel Matias Sanchez, Xiao-Dong Fu and Tommaso Simoncini -- [7.] Unraveling the Role of GPER in Breast Cancer / Rosamaria Lappano and Marcello Maggiolini -- [8.] Nongenomic Actions of Estrogens and Xenoestrogens Affecting Endocrine Cancer Cells / Cheryl S. Watson, Dragoslava Zivadinovic, Yow-Jiun Jeng, Rebecca A. Alyea, Terumi Midoro-Horiuti, Randall Goldblum and Anannya Banga -- Part II. Prostate Cancer -- [9.] Differential Functions of Stromal and Epithelial Androgen Receptor in Prostate Cancer Before and After Castration Resistant Stage / S. Lee, K.-P. Lai, S. Yeh and C. Chang -- [10.] Role of Androgens and Androgen Receptor in Prostate Cancer: Genomic and Non-Genomic Actions / Sara Marchiani, Lara Tamburrino, Monica Muratori, Lorella Bonaccorsi, Gianni Forti and Elisabetta Baldi -- [11.] Mechanisms of Signal Transduction in Prostate Cancer: The Role of PI3-Kinase Pathway in Androgen Action / Laurent Morel and Silvère Baron -- [12.] The IGF-I Axis in Prostate Cancer: The Role of Rapid Steroid Actions / Antonino Belfiore -- Androgen Receptor Pathway in Prostate Cancer: Old Target and New Drugs / Christophe Massard and Karim Fizazi -- Part III. New Tools for Steroid Receptor Analysis and Regulatory Networks -- [13.] Quantitative Visualization of Sex Steroid Receptor Functions: AR and ER[alpha] / Michael J. Bolt, Sean M. Hartig, Adam T. Szafran, Sanjay N. Mediwala, Marco Marcelli and Michael A. Mancini -- [14.] Micropatterned Surfaces as Tools for the Study of the Rapid Non-genomic Actions of Steroid Receptors / Andrew C. B. Cato, Emmanuel Oppong and Sylwia Sekula-Neuner.
- Current guidelines for the diagnosis of testosterone deficiency / S. Arver, M. Lehtihet -- Laboratory measurement of testosterone / M.J. Diver -- Advances in testosterone replacement therapy / L.J.G. Gooren -- The role of the CAG repeat androgen receptor polymorphism in andrology / M. Zitzmann -- Late-onset hypogonadism / L.J.G Gooren -- Testosterone in obesity, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes / R.D. Stanworth, T.H. Jones -- Testosterone and coronary artery disease / J.E. Nettleship ... [et al.] -- Erectile dysfunction and testosterone deficiency / M. Blute ... [et al.] -- Testosterone, bone, and osteoporosis / S.P. Tuck, R.M. Francis -- Frailty and muscle function : role for testosterone? / U. Srinivas-Shankar, F.C.W. Wu -- Testosterone effects on cognition in health and disease / M.M. Cherrier -- Anabolic applications of androgens for functional limitations associated with aging and chronic illness / S. Bhasin, T.W. Storer -- Testosterone in chronic heart failure / C.J. Malkin, T.H. Jones, K.S. Channer -- Testosterone and prostate safety / A. Morgentaler, C. Schulman.
- Advances in vasopressin and oxytocin from genes to behaviour to disease 2008ScienceDirectNonapeptides and the evolutionary patterning of sociality / J.L. Goodson -- Sex differences in vasopressin and oxytocin innervation of the brain / G.J. de Vries -- The parvocellular vasopressinergic system and responsiveness of the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis during chronic stress / G. Auilera ... [et al.] -- Experimental approaches for the study of oxytocin and vasopressin gene expression in the central nervous system / E.M. Scordalakes, C. Yue and H. Gainer -- Oxytocin knockout mice: a model for studying stress-related and ingestive behaviours / J.A. Amico ... [et al.] -- The role of the vasopressin 1b receptor in aggression and other social behaviours / H.K. Caldwell, S.R. Wersinger and W.S. Young III -- Behavioural studies using temporal and spatial inactivation of the oxytocin receptor / H.-J. Lee ... [et al.] -- New aspects of oxytocin receptor function revealed by knockout mice: sociosexual behavior and control of energy balance / K. Nishimori ... [et al.] -- Regulation of vasopressin release by co-released neurotransmitters: mechanisms of purinergic and adrenergic synergism / C.D. Sladek and Z. Song -- Neuron-glia interactions in the rat supraoptic nucleus / S.H.R. Oliet ... [et al.] -- Dynamic synapses in the hypothalamic-neurohypophyseal system / K.J. Iremonger and J.S. Bains -- Endogenous modulators of synaptic transmission: cannabinoid regulation in the supraoptic nucleus / N.A. McDonald ... [et al.] -- Oxytocin and appetite / G. Leng ... [et al.] -- Neural mechanisms underlying the milk ejection burst and reflex / G.I. Hatton and Y.-F. Wang -- Oxytocin receptor signaling / D. Devost, P. Wrzal and H.H. Zingg -- Neurosteroids are excitatory in supraoptic neurons but inhibitory in the peripheral nervous system: it is all about oxytocin and progesterone receptors / C. Viero and G. Dayanithi -- Oxytocin receptors: ligand binding, signaling and cholesterol dependence / G. Gimpl ... [et al.] -- Opposite effects of oxytocin and vasopressin on the emotional expression of the fear response / D. Viviani and R. Stoop -- Multi-factorial somato-dendritic regulation of phasic spike discharge in vasopressin neurons / C.H. Brown ... [et al.] -- Neurophysiology of supraoptic neurons in C57/BL mice studied in three acute in vitro preparations / R. Sharif-Naeini ... [et al.] -- Effects of oxytocin on GABA signalling in the foetal brain during delivery / R. Khazipov, R. Tyzio and Y. Ben-Ari -- Central vasopressin and oxytocin release: regulation of complex social behaviours / A.H. Veenema and I.D. Neumann -- Interactions between dopamine and oxytocin in the control of sexual behavior / T.A. Baskerville and A.J. Douglas -- Steroidal/neuropeptide interactions in hypothalamus and amygdale related to social anxiety / E. Choleris ... [et al.] -- Functional magnetic resonance imaging and the neurobiology of vasopressin and oxytocin / C.F. Ferris -- Evolution of the arginine vasopressin 1a receptor and implications for mammalian social behaviour / G. Heckel and S. Fink -- Oxytocin, vasopressin and sociality / C.S. Carter ... [et al.] -- Neuropeptides and social behaviour: effects of oxytocin and vasopressin in humans / M. Heinrichs and G. Domes -- Chronic stress plasticity in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus / J.P. Herman, J. Flak and R. Jankord -- Keeping oxytocin neurons under control during stress in pregnancy / P.J. Brunton and J.A. Russell -- Rapid synapse-specific regulation of hypothalamic magnocellular neurons by glucocorticoids / S. Di and J.G. Tasker -- Vasopressin in the septum: not important versus casually involved in learning and memory - two faces of the same coin? / M. Engelmann -- Role of the endocannabinoid system in regulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axis / M.A. Steiner and C.T. Wotjak -- Molecular genetic studies of the arginine vasopressin 1a receptor (AVPR1a) and the oxytocin receptor (OXTR) in human behaviour: from autism to altruism with some notes in between / S. Israel ... [et al.] -- Oxytocin and experimental therapeutics in autism spectrum disorders / J.A. Bartz and E. Hollander -- Impact of prosocial neuropeptides on human brain function / A. Meyer-Lindenberg -- Peptide and non-peptide agonists and antagonists for the vasopressin and oxytocin V₁[a], V₁[b], V₂ and OT receptors: research tools and potential therapeutic agents / M. Manning ... [et al.] -- Affinity and efficacy of selective agonists and antagonists for vasopressin and oxytocin receptors: an "easy guide" to receptor pharmacology / B. Chini, M. Manning and G. Guillon -- Prevention of hypoxic brain oedema by the administration of vasopressin receptor antagonist OPC-31260 / A.H. Molnár ... [et al.] -- Characterization of a novel and selective V₁[B] receptor antagonist / M. Craighead ... [et al.] -- Molecular mechanisms of clinical concentrating and diluting disorders / R.W. Schrier -- Action-binding channels / Y. Noda and S. Sasaki -- Opposite potentiality of hypothalamic coexpressed neuropeptides, apelin and vasopressin in maintaining body-fluid homeostasis / C. Llorens-Cortes and F. Moos -- Recent discoveries in vasopressin-regulated aquaporin-2 trafficking / R.A. Fenton and H.B. Moeller -- Pathophysiological role of aquaporin-2 in impaired water excretion / S.-e. Ishikawa ... [et al.] -- Potential utility of aquaporin modulators for therapy of brain disorders / M.C. Papadopoulos and A.S. Verkman.
- Amenorrhea a case-based, clinical guide 2010SpringerAmenorrhea: A Case-Based Clinical Guide is a comprehensive review of the current knowledge regarding normal female reproductive physiology. Replete with interesting case vignettes and providing diagnostic algorithms and therapeutic strategies for amenorrhea, Amenorrhea: A Case-Based Clinical Guide is divided into three sections. The first section is composed of two chapters that provide a thorough review of basic science and clinical knowledge about the organ systems responsible for normal physiology of the menstrual cycle. The second section includes discussion about menstrual cycle disruption as it relates to hypothalamic-pituitary dysfunction, surgical and natural menopause, genetic defects, premature ovarian failure/insufficiency and the effects of caloric excess and restriction. The third section offers an update on the physiological effects of prolonged amenorrhea induced surgically or by hypothalamic dysfunction and also includes an original chapter that focuses solely on the impact of race and ethnicity on the prevalence and diagnosis of amenorrhea. Amenorrhea: A Case-Based Clinical Guide brings together chapters from renowned experts who offer state-of-the-art, clinically useful information in a case-based, reader-friendly fashion. This title will be a welcome addition to the bookshelves of all clinicians who practice in women's health settings.
- 1. The Institute of Medicine White Paper on Testosterone: Current Perspective / Craig F. Donatucci -- 2. The Laboratory Diagnosis of Testosterone Deficiency / Akanksha Mehta and Darius A. Paduch -- 3. The Clinical Diagnosis of Androgen Deficiency / Gregory C. Mitchell, Ege Can Serefoglu, and Wayne J.G. Hellstrom -- 4. The Use of Patient Reported Outcome Questionnaires in the Diagnosis of Androgen Deficiency / Gregory J. Lowe, George C. Bailey, and Tracey L. Krupski -- 5. Testosterone and Its Association with Metabolic and Cardiovascular Disease / Giovanni Corona, Giulia Rastrelli, and Mario Maggi -- 6. The Role of Androgens in Prostate Cancer / Frances Alba, Claudio A. Romero, and Run Wang -- 7. Androgen Deficiency in the Adolescent Male / Erin R. McNamara and Sherry S. Ross -- 8. Effects of Androgen Deficiency and Replacement on Male Fertility / Andrew C. Kramer -- 9. HIV and Testosterone in Men / Gina Cambareri, Jane Ashby, David Goldmeier, and Hossein Sadeghi-Nejad -- 10. Treatment Options for Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Mohit Khera -- 11. Alternate Therapies for Testosterone Replacement / Ege Can Serefoglu, Ahmet Gokce, Wayne J.G. Hellstrom, and André T. Guay.
- Androgen excess disorders in women polycystic ovary syndrome and other disorders. 2nd ed. 2006SpringerA brief history of androgen excess / Ricardo Azziz -- Ovarian and adrenal androgen biosynthesis and metabolism / Walter L. Miller, David H. Geller, and Mitchell Rosen -- Androgens throughout the life of women / C. Richard Parker, Jr. -- Physiological effects of androgens in women / T. Keta Hodgson and Glenn D. Braunstein -- Androgen measurements: methods, interpretation, and limitations / Frank Z. Stanczyk -- Androgen-secreting adrenal and ovarian neoplasms / Michel Pugeat ... [et al.] -- Cushing's syndrome, acromegaly, and androgen excess / Anne-Céline Reyss and Didier Dewailly -- The nonclassic adrenal hyperplasias / Didier Dewailly and Ricardo Azziz -- Pregnancy-related androgen excess / Howard D. McClamrock -- Drug-induced hyperandrogenism / Barbara Neraud and Didier Dewailly -- Severe insulin-resistant hyperandrogenic syndromes / David E. Moller, Antonio Vidal-Puig, and Ricardo Azziz -- Idiopathic hirutism / Enrico Carmina -- Definition and epidemiology of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Ricardo Azziz -- Clinical features of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Walter Futterweit, Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarakis, and Ricardo Azziz -- Biochemical features of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Adam H. Balen -- Ovarian histology, morphology, and ultrasonography in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Sophie Jonard ... [et al.] -- Hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadtrophic dysfunction in the polycystic ovary syndrome / R. Jeffrey Chang and Rinku V. Mehta -- Ovarian steroidogenic abnormalities in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Denis A. Magoffin -- Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal dysfunction in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Bulent O. Yildiz, Enrico Carmina, and Ricardo Azziz -- The genetic basis of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Mark O. Goodarzi -- Pediatric hyperandrogenism and the polycystic ovary syndrome in adolescence / Kathleen M. Hoeger -- Environmental factors in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Marie-France Hivert and Jean-Patrice Baillargeon -- Animal models and fetal programming of the polycystic ovary syndrome / David H. Abbott ... [et al.] -- Insulin resistance and hyperinsulinism in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Paulina A. Essah and John E. Nestler -- The endocrine impact of obesity and body habitus in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Renato Pasquali and Alessandra Gambineri -- Molecular mechanisms of insulin resistance in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Theodore P. Ciaraldi -- Menstrual dysfunction and endometrial neoplasia in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Abdulkadir Wagley and Paul Hardiman -- Beta-cell dysfunction, glucose intolerance, and diabetes in the polycystic ovary syndrome / David A. Ehrmann -- Hypertension and cardiovascular and lipoprotein abnormalities in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Francesco Orio and Stefano Palomba -- Reproductive and obstetrical consequences of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Mary C. Johnson and Richard S. Legro -- Psychosocial and quality-of-life consequences of androgen excess and the polycystic ovary syndrome / Onno E. Janssen, Susanne Hahn, and Sigrid Elsenbruch -- Overview of long-term morbidity and economic cost of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Ricardo Azziz -- Clinical and hormonal evaluation of androgen excess / Ricardo Azziz -- Ovarian suppression and treatment of hirsutism / Paolo Moghetti -- Polycystic ovary syndrome and ovulation induction / Bulent O. Yildiz and Ricardo Azziz -- In vitro fertilization for the polycystic ovary syndrome / Hanadi Ba-Akdah ... [et al.] -- Surgical management of the polycystic ovary syndrome / Adam H. Balen -- Use of insulin sensitizers in the polycystic ovary syndrome / Kai I. Cheang and John E. Nestler -- Weight reduction and lifestyle modification in the treatment of androgen excess / Manny Noakes ... [et al.].
- Animal models of diabetes frontiers in research. 2nd ed. 2007CRCnetBASEPigs in diabetes research with special focus on type 2 diabetes / M.O. Larsen, B. Rolin -- Psammomys obesus : nutritionally induced insulin resistance, diabetes and beta cell loss / E. Ziv, R. Kalman, and E. Shafrir -- The spontaneously diabetic Torii (SDT) rat with human resembling retinopathy lesions / M. Shinohara, T. Masuyama, A. Kakehashi -- The Cohen diabetic rat / S. Weksler-Zangen, E. Orlinsky, D.H. Zangen -- Kk and KKay mice : models of type 2 diabetes and obesity / S. Taketomi -- Animal models to study obesity and type II diabetes induced by diet / Tamer Coskun ... [et al.]. Rat models of type 1 diabetes : genetics, environment, and autoimmunity / J.P. Mordes ... [et al.] -- The NOD mouse and its related strains / H. Taniguchi, S. Makino, H. Ikegami -- Obesity/diabetes in mice with mutations in the leptin or leptin receptor genes / S. Chua Jr., L. Herberg, E.H. Leiter -- The Zucker diabetic fatty (ZDF) rat--lessons from leptin receptor defect diabetic model / R.G. Peterson -- The Goto-Kakizaki diabetic rat evolved by selective breeding / C.J. Ostenson -- The new zealand obese mouse : a polygenic model of obesity, glucose intolerance and the metabolic syndrome / B.C. Fam, S. Andrikopoulos -- The JCR:LA-cp rat : a model of the metabolic syndrome exhibiting micro-and macro-vascular disease / J.C. Russel, S.E. Kelly, S.D. Proctor -- The SHROB (Koletsky) rat as a model for metabolic syndrome / R.J. Koletzky, R.A. Velliquette, P. Ernsberger -- OLETF rats : a model for the metabolic syndrome and diabetic nephropathy in humans / K. Kawano -- Neonatally streptrozotocin-induced (n-STZ) diabetic rats, a family of type 2 diabetes models / B. Portha ... [et al.] -- The Rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) manifests all features of human type 2 diabetes / B. Hansen and Xenia T. Tigno --
- Atlas of diabetes. 4th ed. 2012SpringerRegulation of Insulin Secretion and Islet Cell Function / Gordon C. Weir, Susan Bonner-Weir and Arun Sharma -- Mechanisms of Insulin Action / Morris F. White and Morris F. White -- Consequences of Insulin Deficiency / Abbas E. Kitabchi and Mary Beth Murphy -- Type 1 Diabetes / Mark A. Atkinson and Jay S. Skyler -- Management of Type 1 Diabetes / Irl B. Hirsch and Jay S. Skyler -- Childhood Diabetes / Jamie R. Wood and Francine R. Kaufman -- Pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes / Mazen Alsahli and John E. Gerich -- Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus / Jennifer B. Marks -- Diabetes and Pregnancy / Lois Jovanovič -- Mechanisms of Hyperglycemic Damage in Diabetes / Ferdinando Giacco and Michael Brownlee -- Management and Prevention of Diabetic Complications / Sunder Mudaliar and Robert R. Henry -- Eye Complications of Diabetes / Lloyd Paul Aiello, Lloyd Paul Aiello, Lloyd Paul Aiello, Lloyd Paul Aiello and Paolo S. Silva, et al. -- Diabetes and the Kidney / Robert C. Stanton and Robert C. Stanton -- Diabetic Neuropathies / Aaron I. Vinik -- Obesity Therapy / Steven R. Smith -- Reversal of Diabetes: Islet Cell Transplantation / Antonello Pileggi, Rodolfo Alejandro and Camillo Ricordi -- Technology and Diabetes: Insulin Delivery Systems and Glucose Sensing / Bruce W. Bode -- Newer Diabetes Medications / Jay S. Skyler.
- Atlas of endocrine pathology 2014Springer"Atlas of Endocrine Pathology provides a comprehensive compendium of photomicrographs of common and uncommon entities in endocrine pathology. The volume includes histologic features of normal features, reactive conditions, hyperplasia, and tumors. The most helpful diagnostic features are illustrated to provide direction and clues to the diagnosis of endocrine tumors. Furthermore, photomicrographs highlight the most pertinent diagnostic features in problematic diagnoses in endocrine pathology. Authored by a nationally and internationally recognized pathologist, Atlas of Endocrine Pathology is an important learning tool for those becoming familiar with the diverse entities encountered in endocrine pathology and a valuable reference for practicing pathologists faced with challenging diagnoses in endocrine pathology."--Publisher's website.
- Atlas of endocrine surgical techniques 2010ClinicalKeyThyroidectomy for nodules or small cancers / Christopher R. McHenry -- Thyroidectomy for locally advanced cancer / Ashok R. Shaha -- Thyroidectomy for large or substernal goiters / Shane Y. Morita and Martha A. Zeiger -- Reoperative thyroid surgery / Jacob Moalem and Wen T. Shen -- Lymph node dissection for thyroid cancer / Miriam N. Lango and John A. Ridge -- Surgical anatomy, intraoperative neural monitoring, and operative management of the RLN and SLN / Gregory W. Randolph -- Bilateral neck exploration for primary hyperparathroidism / Andrew B. Greene, Mira Milas, and Allan E. Siperstein -- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy / Leigh Delbridge and Todd McMullen -- Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy / Paolo Miccoli, Gabriele Materazzi, and Piero Berti -- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy : gamma probe guided / Susan C. Pitt and Herbert Chen -- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy : lateral approach / Geoffrey B. Thompson and John R. Porterfield -- Laparoscopic retroperitoneal adrenalectomy / James Lee -- Open adrenalectomy for cancer / Douglas B. Evans, Jean-Nicholas Vauthey, and Jeffrey E. Lee -- Laparoscopic pancreatic enucleation or resection for neuroendocrine tumor / Andrew A. Gumbs and William B. Inabnet -- Pancreatoduodenectomy for neuroendocrine tumor / Matthew L. White and Gerard M. Doherty.
- Atlas of thyroid lesions 2011SpringerPhysical and technical essentials -- Ultrasound features of thyroid lesions -- Nodular or colloid goiter, hyperplasia, and cysts -- Follicular adenoma and follicular thyroid carcinoma -- Oncocytic nodule/Hurtle cell tumors -- Follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma -- Papillary thyroid carcinoma -- Medullary thyroid carcinoma -- Anaplastic carcinoma -- Lymphoma and plasmacytoma -- Thyroiditis -- Metastases -- Regional lymph node metastases.
- Autoimmune diseases in endocrinology 2008SpringerPart I: Introductory chapters -- Basic mechanisms in autoimmunity / Sonia Quaratino -- Immunogenetic factors in autoimmunity / Joanne Heward and Stephen Gough -- Environmental factors in autoimmune endocrinopathies / Rajni B. Sharma ... [et al.] -- Part II: Autoimmune thyroid disease -- Animal models of autoimmune thyroid disease / Marian Ludgate -- Thyroid autoantigens / Philip F. Watson and Nagat Saeed -- Graves' disease / Simon H. S. Pearce -- Autoimmune hypothyroidism / Francesco Latrofa and Aldo Pinchera -- Postpartum thyroiditis / John H. Lazarus and L. D. K. E. Premawardhana -- Thyroid-associated ophthalmopathy and dermopathy / Wilmar M. Wiersinga -- Part III: Type 1 diabetes mellitus -- Animal models of type 1 diabetes mellitus / Lucienne Chatenoud -- Islet cell autoantigens / Anastasia Katsarou ... [et al.] -- Type 1 diabetes mellitus / Huriya Beyan and R. David G. Leslie -- Part IV: Other autoimmune endocrinopathies -- Addison's disease / Corrado Betterle, Renato Zanchetta, and Fabio Presotto -- Premature ovarian failure / Victoria Sundblad, Violeta A. Chiauzzi, and Eduardo H. Charreau -- Autoimmune hypophysitis / Patrician Anne Crock ... [et al.] -- Autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type 1 / Pärt Peterson -- Autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type 2 / George J. Kahaly and Manuela Dittmar.
- Bone drugs in pediatrics efficacy and challenges 2014Springer
- Breast, endocrine and surgical oncology 2014SpringerWritten by internationally acclaimed specialists, Breast, Endocrine and Surgical Oncology provides pertinent and concise procedure descriptions spanning benign and malignant problems and minimally invasive procedures. Complications are reviewed when appropriate for the organ system and problem, creating a book that is both comprehensive and accessible. Stages of operative approaches with relevant technical considerations are outlined in an easily understandable manner. The text is illustrated throughout by photographs that depict anatomic or technical principles. Forming part of the series, Surgery: Complications, Risks and Consequences, this volume Breast, Endocrine and Surgical Oncology provides a valuable resource for all general surgeons and residents in training. Other healthcare providers will also find this a useful resource.
- Voyages of discovery / Allgrove, J. -- Physiology of calcium, phosphate, magnesium and vitamin D / Allgrove, J. -- Physiology of bone / Grabowski, P. -- Radiology of osteogenesis imperfecta, rickets and other bony fragility states / Calder, A.D. -- Bone densitometry : current status and future perspective / Crabtree, N.; Ward K. -- A practical approach to hypocalcaemia in children / Shaw, N.J. -- Approach to the child with hypercalcaemia / Davies, J.H. -- A practical approach to vitamin D deficiency and rickets / Allgrove, J.; Shaw, N.J. -- A practical clinical approach to pediatric phosphate disorders / Imel, E.A. ; Carpenter, T.O. -- Primary osteoporosis / Arundel, P. ; Bishop, N. -- Osteoporosis in children with chronic disease / Hgler, W. ; Ward, L. -- Genetics of osteoporosis in children / van Dijk, F.S. -- A practical approach to children with recurrent fractures / Korula, S.; Titmuss, A.T.; Biggin A.; Munns, C.F. -- Miscellaneous bone disorders / Mughal, M.Z.; Padidela, R. -- Skeletal aspects of non-accidental injury / Johnson, K.; Bradshaw, K. -- Skeletal dysplasias: an overview / Offiah, A.C -- Drugs used in paediatric bone and calcium disorders / Cheung, M.S. -- Classification of disorders of bone and calcium metabolism / Allgrove J. -- Case histories / Katugampola, H. ; Saraff, V.; Kumaran, A. ; Allgrove, J.; Shaw, N.J.
- Cardiovascular issues in endocrinology 2014KargerTestosterone and cardiovascular risk in men / Kelly, D.M., Jones, T.H. -- Hormone therapy and venous thromboembolism among postmenopausal women / Scarabin, P.-Y. -- Cardiovascular and metabolic impact of glucocorticoid replacement therapy / Johannsson, G., Ragnarsson, O. -- Cardiovascular disease and thyroid function / Faber, J., Selmer, C. -- Hormonal alterations in heart failure : anabolic impairment in chronic heart failure -- diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic issues / Arcopinto, M., Cittadini, A. -- Genetics of primary aldosteronism / Funder, J.W. -- Adipose tissue dysfunction and inflammation in cardiovascular disease / Wronkowitz, N., Romacho, T., Sell, H., Eckel, J. -- Potential peptides in atherosclerosis therapy / Marleau, S., Mellal, K., Huynh, D.N., Ong, H. -- Interaction between insulin-like growth factor-1 and atherosclerosis and vascular aging / Higashi, Y., Quevedo, H.C., Tiwari, S., Sukhanov, S., Shai, S.-Y., Anwar, A., Delafontaine, P. -- Ghrelin and the cardiovascular system / Tokudome, T., Kishimoto, I., Miyazato, M., Kangawa, K. -- Natriuretic peptide system and the heart / del Ry, S., Cabiati, M., Clerico, A. -- Beyond glycemic control : cardiovascular effects of incretin-based therapies / Angeli, F.S., Shannon, R.P.
- Caring for children born small for gestational age 2013SpringerCare for Children Born Small for Gestational Age is a comprehensive handbook that serves to synthesize the extensive recent literature in the area to provide a practical resource aimed at a wide range of healthcare professionals, including obstetricians, midwives, neonatologists, and primary care physicians. This comprehensive handbook includes an in-depth survey of the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and long-term monitoring of children born small for gestational age, as well as related conditions such as intrauterine growth restriction, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Additionally, the short and long-term psychiatric and social consequences of this condition are addressed.
- Chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation / Wuelling, M., Vortkamp, A. -- Local regulation of growth plate cartilage / Spth, S.-S. ... [et al.] -- Growth plate senescence and catch-up growth / Lui, J.C., Nilsson, O., Baron, J. -- Endocrine regulation of longitudinal bone growth / Wit, J.M., Camacho-Hübner, C. -- Estrogen signaling in growth plate cartilage / Karimian, E., Svendahl, L. -- Methods to study cartilage and bone development / Andrade, A.C. ... [et al.] -- Fibroblast growth factor-23 and phosphorus metabolism / Tiosano, D. -- Molecular defects causing skeletal dysplasias / Mkitie, O. -- Allele-specific gene silencing in osteogenesis imperfecta / Ljunggren, Ö. ... [et al.] -- Stem cells in skeletal physiology and endocrine diseases of bone / Bianco, P., Sacchetti, B., Riminucci, M. -- Cartilage tissue engineering / Moreira-Teixeira, L.S. ... [et al.].
- Case-based guide to clinical endocrinology 2008Springer
- Chronobiology and obesity 2013SpringerCircadian rhythms are such an innate part of our lives that we rarely pause to speculate why they even exist. Perhaps this is the reason why in the medical practice the circadian variability of hormones, metabolites, physiological behaviors or the relevance of time in the presence or absence of different pathologies, have been practically ignored in the past. Some studies have suggested that the disruption of the circadian system may be cause for obesity and manifestations of Metabolic Syndrome (MetS). Shift-work, sleep-deprivation and bright-light-exposure at night are related to increased adiposity (obesity) and prevalence of MetS. Chronobiology and Obesity examines recent advances that have led to researchers to find the relevant link which exists between chronobiology and obesity, but, as it is emphasized throughout the book, there is much more that needs to be explored between the connection.
- Cleveland Clinic manual of dynamic endocrine testing 2015SpringerDeveloped via a peer review process that included 25 experienced endocrinologists and utilizing the best current evidence, The Cleveland Clinic has created a practical set of protocols for over 25 commonly used dynamic endocrine tests. The cornerstone of clinical endocrinology, these evidence-based protocols play an important role in clinical decision-making and are important element of billing and compliance with high quality standards. Included here are various tests for pituitary and adrenal disorders, thyroid disorders, and glucose metabolism and pancreatic disorders, presented systematically with indications, preparation, materials needed, precautions, procedure, interpretation, and caveats. Filling the gap left by a lack of national guidelines, The Cleveland Clinic Manual of Dynamic Endocrine Testing is an up-to-date practical guide for endocrinologists, nurses, and their staff, inside or outside of the US, who need to perform and interpret dynamic endocrine testing in their everyday practice, as well as medical students, residents and fellows who have interest in endocrinology.
- Clinical care pathways in andrology 2014SpringerClinical Care Pathways in Andrology provides a valuable resource for understanding clinical decision-making in the context of the predominant male reproductive and sexual disorders for which patients commonly seek evaluation and treatment. Conditions that are less well-known but can be severely bothersome to patients, such as penile sensory loss, are also presented. Based on clinical evidence and expert consensus, practical clinical care pathways are featured for each condition. Each clinical care pathway consists of an algorithm that delineates the overall structure of decision-making for each condition, describes initial clinical presentations, and guides the reader through diagnostic testing and treatment.
- Print Material
- Molecular biology for clinicians -- Hormone biosynthesis, metabolism, and mechanism of action -- The ovary-embryology and development -- The uterus -- Neuroendocrinology -- Regulation of the menstrual cycle -- Sperm and egg transport, fertilization, and implantation -- The endocrinology of pregnancy -- Normal and abnormal sexual development -- Normal and abnormal growth and pubertal development -- Amenorrhea -- Chronic anovulation and the polycystic ovary syndrome -- Hirsutism -- Menstrual disorders -- Abnormal uterine bleeding -- The breast -- Menopause and the perimenopausal transition -- Postmenopausal hormone therapy -- Obesity -- Reproduction and the thyroid -- Family planning, sterilization, and abortion -- Oral contraception -- Vaginal and transdermal estrogen-progestin contraception -- Long-acting methods of contraception -- Intrauterine contraception -- Barrier methods of contraception and withdrawal -- Female infertility -- Recurrent early pregnancy loss -- Endometriosis -- Male infertility -- Induction of ovulation -- Assisted reproductive technologies -- Ectopic pregnancy -- Appendix-I: Interpreting epidemiologic reports -- Appendix-II: Selected laboratory values and the international system of units (SI Units).
- Clinical management of thyroid cancer 2013Future MedClinical management of thyroid cancer / Kennichi Kakudo & Zhiyan Liu -- Diagnosis of thyroid cancer / Joseph M. Shulan & Jennifer A. Sipos -- Thyroid cancer : classification and cytological diagnosis / Zvonimir L. Milas, Jennifer Brainard & Mira Milas -- Molecular genetics of thyroid cancer / Angela Greco, Claudia Miranda, Maria Grazia Borrello & Marco A. Pierotti -- Etiopathogenic factors of thyroid cancer / Ana Lourenço Almeida, Paula Boaventura & Paula Soares -- Differentiated thyroid carcinoma: prognostic stratification and molecular classification / Michele N. Minuto, Emanuela Varaldo & Giuseppina Talamo -- Radiotherapy : radioiodine and external beam irradiation treatment of differentiated thyroid carcinomas / Miguel Melo, Gracinda Costa, Francisco Carrilho, Manuela Carvalheiro & Paula Soares -- Borderline lesions in thyroid tumor classification and well-differentiated tumor of uncertain malignant potential Zhiyan Liu, Bo Han, Yanhua Bai, Yaqiong Li, Osamu Nunobiki & Kennichi Kakudo -- Differentiated thyroid cancer in children / Andrew J. Bauer, Catherine A. Dinauer, Steven G. Waguespack & Gary L. Francis -- Index.
- Clinical management of thyroid disease 2009ClinicalKeyClinical Management of Thyroid Disease is an exciting new book edited by Fredric Wondisford, MD, developer of the revolutionary new drug, Thyrotropin, and Sally Radovick, MD, with contributions from experts in the field. It fulfills the niche of a succinct, clinical resource to help you translate research into practice. This full-color volume offers valuable information on thyroid cancer and non-cancerous lesions, the effect of drugs on thyroid function, genetic disorders, and more in an accessible, easy-to-read consistent format. Presents the expertise of authors and editorial staff comprised of leaders in the field of thyroid research and clinical management for the best-qualified guidance on diagnosis and treatment. Provides a full-color, comprehensive approach that makes valuable information easy to locate and quick to read. Covers relevant topics applicable to all levels of training and expertise to serve as a detailed clinical reference on everything from the basic to the sophisticated. Captures research advances on hot topics such as thyroid cancer and non-cancerous lesions, the effect of drugs on thyroid function, and genetic disorders so that you can incorporate them into the way you treat patients.
- Clinical neuroendocrinology 2014ScienceDirectCh. 1. Genetic aspects of hypothalamic and pituitary gland development -- Ch. 2. Neuroendocrinology of pregnancy and parturition -- Ch. 3. Disorders of water metabolism: diabetes insipidus and the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion -- Ch. 4. The role of oxytocin and vasopressin in emotional and social behaviors -- Ch. 5. Corticotropin-releasing hormone and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in psychiatric disease -- Ch. 6. Genetic aspects of human obesity -- Ch. 7. Sleep characteristics and insulin sensitivity in humans -- Ch. 8. Hypothalamic-pituitary hormones during critical illness: a dynamic neuroendocrine response -- Ch. 9. Central regulation of the hypothalamo-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis: focus on clinical aspects -- Ch. 10. Evaluation of pituitary function -- Ch. 11. Imaging of pituitary pathology -- Ch. 12. Nonfunctioning pituitary tumors -- Ch. 13. Hyperprolactinemia and prolactinoma -- Ch. 14. Acromegaly -- Ch. 15. Cushing's disease -- Ch. 16. Craniopharyngioma -- Ch. 17. Rathke's cleft cyst -- Ch. 18. Alternative causes of hypopituitarism: traumatic brain injury, cranial irradiation and infections -- Ch. 19. Surgical approach to pituitary tumors -- Ch. 20. Medical approach to pituitary tumors -- Ch. 21. Radiation therapy in the management of pituitary adenomas -- Ch. 22. Nelson syndrome: definition and management -- Ch. 23. Familial pituitary tumors -- Ch. 24. Long-term effects of treatment of pituitary adenomas -- Ch. 25. Neuroendocrine mechanisms in athletes -- Ch. 26. Uncertainties in endocrine substitution therapy for central hypocortisolism -- Ch. 27. Uncertainties in endocrine substitution therapy for central endocrine insufficiencies: hypothyroidism -- Ch. 28. Uncertainties in endocrine substitution therapy for central endocrine insufficiencies: growth hormone deficiency -- Ch. 29. Autoimmune hypophysitis: new developments -- Index.
- 1. Anatomy and Physiology of Androgen Regulation in Men / Jerald Marifke and Jay Sandlow -- 2. Development of the Male Reproductive System / Pravin K. Rao and Arthur L. Burnett -- 3. Epidemiology and Diagnosis of Hypogonadism / Mikkel Fode, Susanne A. Quallich, Yacov Reisman, Jens Sønksen, and Dana A. Ohl -- 4. Testosterone and Sexual Function / Wayland Hsiao and John P. Mulhall 5. Treatment of Hypogonadism in Men / Akanksha Mehta, Darius A. Paduch, and Marc Goldstein -- 6. Hypogonadism and Prostate Cancer: To Treat or Not to Treat / Mohit Khera -- 7. Testosterone and Male Infertility / Tung-Chin Hsieh, Matthew McIntyre, and Larry Lipshultz -- 8. Specific Endocrinopathies and Male Infertility / Vincent Harisaran, Eugene Cone, and Kathleen Hwang.
- Clinician's guide to the treatment of obesity 2015Springer1. The disease of obesity -- 2. The health burden of obesity -- 3. Psychosocial morbidity and the effect of weight loss -- 4. Dietary and lifestyle strategies for weight loss -- 5. Physical activity and writing an exercise prescription -- 6. The doctor's tool kit: pharmacolotherapy for the patient with obesity -- 7. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: procedure and outcomes --- 8. Sleeve gastrectomy: procedure and outcomes -- 9. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: procedure and outcomes -- 10. Perioperative care of the surgical patient -- 11. Surgical complications of weight loss surgery -- Index.
- This color atlas is a detailed guide on how to perform open, endoscopic, and robotic thyroidectomy techniques safely and effectively. Each chapter offers step-by-step descriptions of essential surgical procedures and techniques. Relevant information is included on surgical anatomy, and clear guidance is provided on preoperative set-up, draping, instrumentation, and complications and their treatment. The description of endoscopic thyroidectomy techniques focuses on the bilateral axillo-breast approach (BABA), while in the case of robotic thyroidectomy both BABA and the bilateral axillo-postauricular approach are described. In each case, the evidence supporting the technique is carefully examined. In the closing chapter, the role of new energy sources in thyroid surgery is discussed. The lucid text is supported by more than 200 full-color illustrations clarifying surgical anatomy, instrumentation, and procedures, and surgical video clips are also available to readers via a website. This atlas will be invaluable in enabling surgeons to achieve optimal outcomes when performing thyroid surgery.
- Comprehensive handbook of iodine nutritional, biochemical, pathological, and therapeutic aspects 2009ScienceDirectAnalytical techniques -- General aspects of iodine sources and intakes in the diet, main routes of iodine metabolism and metabolic roles -- Pathological aspects of iodine deficiency -- Prevention and treatment of iodine deficiency disorders -- Damage and disease due to iodine toxicity -- Radiodine in the non-iodine deficient subject -- Other causes of hypothyroidism -- Geographical aspects of iodine deficiency disorders.
- Genomic approaches in genetic research for endocrine diseases / Ravazzolo, R. -- Genetic defects of the growth-hormone-IGF axis associated with growth hormone insensitivity / Woods, K. -- Late effects of disturbed IGF signaling in congenital diseases: intrauterine and postnatal growth retardation / Cianfarani, S. ... [et al.] -- Growth hormone receptor polymorphisms: controversies and outcome of growth hormone treatment / Buzi, F. ... [et al.] -- Genetic disorders involving adrenal development / Lin, L., Ferraz-de-Souza, B., Achermann, J.C. -- Early management and gender assignment in disorders of sexual differentiation / Hughes, I.A -- Prenatal and early postnatal treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia / Ghizzoni, L. ... [et al.] -- Neonatal diabetes: the role of KCNJ11 (Kir6.2) / Tammaro, P. -- Diagnosis of neonatal and infancy-onset diabetes / Barbetti, F. -- Management of neonatal and infancy-onset diabetes mellitus / Søvik, O. ... [et al.] -- Insights in congenital hyperinsulinism / Hussain, K. -- A clinical approach to severe insulin resistance / Savage, D.B. ... [et al.] -- Inherited endocrine diseases involving G proteins and G protein-coupled receptors / Spiegel, A.M. -- Stem cells: from animal research to clinical applications / Redi, C.A. ... [et al.].
- Controversies in obesity 2014SpringerObesity is a relatively new and controversial field of medicine. Some of the controversies surrounding obesity can be dismissed as myths, others reveal the lack of consensus and comprehensive knowledge which exist in obesity and its complex relationship with diabetes and other serious long-term conditions. Controversies in Obesity takes the unique approach of assessing the controversies surrounding obesity, thus seeking to debunk the myths and highlight and explore the genuine science, whilst demonstrating areas where there is healthy debate. This book will appeal to primary care physicians, trainees and specialist nurses involved in care of the obese patient, and would be of interest to anyone who wishes to gain a better understanding of the complex nature of obesity and its management.
- Clinical trials : planning and analysis / Farewell, V.T., Cook, R.J. -- The evidence base for growth hormone effectiveness in children / Kelnar, C.J.H. -- Safety of recombinant human growth hormone / Carel, J.-C., Butler, G. -- Diagnosis of growth hormone deficiency / Webb, E.A., Dattani, M.T. -- Biological determinants of responsiveness to growth hormone : pharmacogenomics and personalized medicine / Mullis, P.-E. -- Clinical considerations in using growth hormone therapy in growth hormone deficiency / Ranke, M.B. -- Current indications for growth hormone therapy for children and adolescents / Richmond, E., Rogol, A.D. -- GH use in the transition of adolescence to adulthood / Mauras, N.
- Cushing's disease 2011SpringerCushing's Disease: An Historical Perspective -- Molecular Biology of Cushing's Disease -- Pathology of Cushing's Disease -- The Diagnosis of Cushing's Syndrome -- Pseudo-Cushing's Syndrome -- Cyclic Cushing's Disease -- Differential Diagnosis of Cushing's Syndrome -- Radiologic Imaging Techniques in Cushing's Disease -- Surgical Treatment of Cushing's Disease -- Postoperative Management and Assessment of Cure -- Radiation Therapy in the Management of Cushing's Disease -- Medical Management of Cushing's Disease -- Recurrent Cushing's Disease -- Diagnosis and Treatment of Pediatric Cushing's Disease -- Silent Corticotroph Adenomas -- Cushing's Syndrome in Pregnancy -- Nelson's Syndrome: Corticotroph Tumor Progression After Bilateral Adrenalectomy in Cushing's Disease -- Psychosocial Aspects of Cushing's Disease.
- Physiology and pathophysiology of the HPA axis -- Etiologies of Cushing's syndrome -- Pathogenesis of corticotropic tumors -- Pathogenesis of adrenocortical tumors -- Clinical features of Cushing's syndrome -- Laboratorial diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome: differential diagnosis with pseudo Cushing's conditions as obesity, alcoholism and depression -- Laboratorial diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome: differential diagnosis among the different causes of ACTH-dependent and ACTH-independent Cushing's syndrome -- Imaging for the differential diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome: MRI, CT, and isotopic scanning -- Inferior petrosal sampling for the differential diagnosis of ACTH-dependent Cushing's syndrome -- The surgical management of Cushing's disease -- Adrenal-directed treatment options for Cushing's disease -- Radiation therapy and stereotactic radiosurgery for Cushing's disease -- Medical management of Cushing's syndrome -- ACTH-dependent Cushing syndrome: clinical and diagnostic aspects, and treatment approaches for ectopic Cushing's syndrome -- Revisiting the Nelson's syndrome: corticotroph tumor progression after bilateral adrenalectomy in Cushing's disease -- ACTH-independent Cushing's syndrome: adrenocortical tumors -- ACTH-independent Cushing's syndrome: bilateral macronodular hyperplasia -- ACTH-independent Cushing's syndrome: primary pigmented nodular adrenal disease in the context of Carney's complex -- Glucocorticoid resistance -- Post-operative replacement and assessment of HPA axis recovery in Cushing's syndrome -- Special aspects of Cushing's syndrome: pregnancy -- Special aspects of Cushing's syndrome: childhood -- Special aspects of Cushing's syndrome: cyclic Cushing's syndrome.
- Pancreatic development as a basis for the definition of new therapies for diabetes / Scharfmann, R. -- Overview of neonatal diabetes / Hamilton-Shield, J.P. -- Transcription factors in pancreatic development. Animal models / Martin, M. ... [et al.] -- Distinct roles of HNF1[beta], HNF1[alpha], and HNF4[alpha] in regulating pancreas development, [beta]-cell function, and growth / Maestro, M.A. ... [et al.] -- In vivo and in vitro techniques to study pancreas development and islet cell function / Duvillié, B., Heinis, M., Stetsyuk, V. -- Functional imaging of the pancreas: the role of [18F]Fluoro-L-DOPA PET in the diagnosis of hyperinsulinism of infancy / Ribeiro, M.J. ... [et al.] -- Insulin pump therapy in neonatal diabetes / Tubiana-Rufi, N. -- Generating new candidate genes for neonatal diabetes: functional and genetic studies of insulin secretion in type 2 diabetes / Rutter, G.A. -- Diabetes in very young children and mutations in the insulin-secreting cell potassium channel genes: therapeutic consequences / Flechtner, I. ... [et al.] -- Genomic imprinting: roles and regulation in development / Kelsey, G. -- Imprinting in human disease with special reference to transient neonatal diabetes and Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome / Temple, I.K. -- The physiology and clinical management of glucose metabolism in the newborn / Beardsall, K., Dunger, D.
- DHEA in human health and aging 2012CRCnetBASE"Reduced production of DHEA associated with the diseases that accompany aging has led to its use as a nutritional supplement for antiaging, metabolic support, and other purposes. While animal studies have clearly shown substantial benefits of DHEA in combating various disease states, the effect of low levels of DHEA in humans is less established, and the mechanisms of action and potential involvement in illnesses remain unclear. DHEA in Human Health and Aging reviews the past ten years of research into this hormone and explores its potential for future study."--Publisher's description.
- Diabetes & c-peptide scientific and clinical aspects 2012Springer1. C-Peptide and Insulin: A Happy Marriage / Donald F. Steiner -- 2. Peptide Interactions of Proinsulin C-Peptide / Charlotte Nerelius, Emma Lindahl, Michael Landreh, and Hans Jörnvall -- 3. The Effect of Combined C-Peptide and Zinc on Cellular Function / Dana M. Spence -- 4. C-Peptide Signaling in the Kidney and Protection from Diabetic Nephropathy / Nigel J. Brunskill -- 5. Role of C-Peptide in the Regulation of Microvascular Blood Flow / Thomas Forst, Matthias M. Weber, Thomas Kunt, and Andreas Pfützner -- 6. Is NO-eNOS a Target for C-Peptide Action and Its Protective Effects on Diabetic Nephropathy? / Kazuhiro Kimura and Akihiro Kamikawa -- 7. Renoprotective Effects of C-Peptide on Type 1 Diabetes / Lina Nordquist, Åsa Kallas, Sara Stridh, Fredrik Palm, and John Wahren -- 8. The Mechanisms Underlying the Effects of C-Peptideon Type 1 Diabetic Neuropathy / Hideki Kamiya, Wei-Xian Zhang, and Anders A.F. Sima -- 9. C-Peptide and Type 1 Diabetic Encephalopathy / Anders A.F. Sima and Wei-Xian Zhang -- 10. C-Peptide: A New Moleculewith Anti-Inflammatory Properties / Jaime Haidet, Vincenza Cifarelli, Xuehui Geng, Massimo Trucco, and Patrizia Luppi -- 11. C-Peptide: Connecting Diabetes with Macrovascular Complications / Karen E. Porter and Romana S. Mughal -- 12. C-Peptide and Diabetic Neuropathy in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes / Karin Ekberg and John Wahren -- 13. Proatherogenic Effects of C-Peptide / Daniel Walcher and Nikolaus Marx -- 14. Conclusions and Future Outlook / Anders A.F. Sima.
- Diabetes and exercise 2009Springer
- Diabetes and kidney disease 2014Springer"Diabetes and Kidney Disease reviews the most up-to-date research on diabetic nephropathy, the current understanding of its pathophysiology, renal structural alterations and clinical features, and summarizes recent evidence-based clinical treatment modalities for the prevention and management of diabetic kidney disease. General clinical aspects are covered, as well as an overview to the novel approaches being designed by leading researchers in the field. A convenient compendium for physicians involved in the care of diabetic patients with varying degrees of kidney involvement, Diabetes and Kidney Disease is also a handy resource for medical residents and students interested in the current status and future approaches to reducing the burden of diabetes and diabetic kidney disease."--Publisher's website.
- In Diabetes and Peripheral Vascular Disease, a panel of distinguished leaders in the field of medicine, podiatry, and vascular and endovascular therapy assimilate the latest literature on these issues and others for an in-depth review of the management of peripheral vascular disease. Providing an overview of the management of diabetes and diabetic foot changes as well as providing a view of cutting-edge and emerging topics in optimization of arterial status, this important title addresses pathophysiology, anatomy, diagnosis and management of diabetic peripheral vascular disease, emphasizing a multi-disciplinary approach. The first chapter of the book provides an overview of this complex disease process and discusses the teamwork required for optimal management. The chapters continue with the basic pathophysiology of diabetic atherosclerosis and a contemporary review of the management of diabetes. The genesis of diabetic foot ulceration and prevention and management strategies is covered, as is the effects of neuropathy and microvascular changes in the diabetic foot. In addition, Diabetes and Peripheral Vascular Disease covers the microbiology of diabetic foot infections, the role of endovascular interventions and vascular surgery as well as the management of the complications of these procedures, the process of amputation for those patients who have progressed beyond a limb salvage situation, and the effects of diabetes on the cerebrovascular system as well as its implications in patients with aortoiliac disease. An invaluable addition to the literature on diabetes and peripheral vascular disease, the book will be of great interest internists, family practitioners, surgeons, podiatrists, wound care specialists, and vascular specialists. Students, residents, and fellows in surgical and medical specialties should also find this book of significant value and interest.
- Diabetes and physical activity 2014KargerThe relationship between exercise, nutrition, and type 2 diabetes / Stephenson, E.J., Smiles, W., Hawley, J.A. -- Sedentary behavior as a mediator of type 2 diabetes / Hamilton, M.T., Hamilton, D.G., Zderic, T.W. -- Increasing prevalence of type 2 diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa : not only a case of inadequate physical activity / Ojuka, E., Goyaram, V. -- Exercise interventions to prevent and manage type 2 diabetes : physiological mechanisms / Dela, F., Prats, C., Helge, J.W. -- Relationships between exercise, mitochondrial biogenesis, and type 2 diabetes / Joseph, A.-M., Hood, D.A. -- Interaction between lipid availability, endurance exercise, and insulin sensitivity / Newsom, S.A., Schenk, S. -- Mechanisms in exercise-induced increase in glucose disposal in skeletal muscle / Ojuka, E., Goyaram, V. -- The effect of exercise on obesity, body fat distribution and risk for type 2 diabetes / Goedecke, J.H., Micklesfield, L.K. -- Gene-physical activity interactions and their impact on diabetes / Kilpelinen, T.O., Franks, P.W. -- Physical activity and gestational diabetes mellitus / van Poppel, M.N.M., Ruchat, S.-M., Mottola, M.F. -- Physical activity in children : prevention of obesity and type 2 diabetes / Rush, E., Simmons, D. -- Diabetes and exercise in the elderly / Ferriolli, E., Pinheiro Amador S., Pessanha, F., Lemos S. Marchesi, J.C. -- Public health recommendations for physical activity in the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus / Lambert, E.V., Bull, F. -- Exercise for people with type 1 diabetes / Gallen, I.W.
- Diabetes and the brain 2009Springer
- Diabetes and the nervous system 2014ScienceDirectThis is a unique compilation, by experts worldwide, addressing how diabetes impacts the nervous system. For example, diabetic polyneuropathy, a disorder more common than MS, Parkinson's disease, and ALS combined, is a major source of disability to diabetic persons worldwide. This book addresses diabetic polyneuropathy and how diabetes alters other parts of the nervous system.
- Diabetes and viruses 2013SpringerDiabetes, in all of its forms, now constitutes a growing health concern, affecting all segments of the world's population. There is great interest in the factors which influence its etiology and progression. Among these, a number of viruses feature prominently. Hindered by technological limitations, research into this relationship has hitherto been scarce. Recent advances, however, have opened up the field and there is a burgeoning body of literature on the subject. Unfortunately, this literature has been diffuse and often difficult to access.For the first time, this book compiles the views of many of the world's experts in the field. It addresses questions, ranging from how viruses may destroy or modify the function of pancreatic islets; to which viruses are the most likely culprits; to whether vaccines or etiologic therapies might be used to prevent virus-induced diabetes. Diabetes and Viruses is the first comprehensive volume on an important and expanding field of research that is of interest to clinicians, healthcare managers, epidemiologists, veterinarians, and basic scientists.
- The Epidemiology of Diabetes in Older People -- Type 2 Diabetes and Dementia -- Depression in Older People with Diabetes -- Hypoglycaemia and the Older Person -- Cardiovascular Risk, Glucose and Targets for Management of Diabetes in Older People -- Diabetes and Frailty -- Perceptions of Users and Carers in Supporting Diabetes Care: Practical Guidance, Support and Information for Carers -- Management of Elderly People with Diabetes in Primary Care.
- Diabetes in clinical practice 2010Springer
- Diabetes in women 2009Springer
- Introduction to diabetes -- Prediabetes -- Lifestyle interventions for patients with diabetes -- Polycystic ovary syndrome -- Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of microvascular complications: Part 1, diabetic neuropathy -- Prevention, diagnosis and treatment of microvascular complications: Part 2, diabetic nephropathy and diabetic retinopathy -- Exploring the association between diabetes and cardiovascular disease -- Associated disorders of interest to primary care -- Co-managing mental illness in patients with diabetes -- Diagnosis and management of T2DM -- Type 1 diabetes mellitus in adults -- Insulin initiation and intensification for patients with type 2 diabetes -- Insulin pumping and use of continuous glucose sensors in primary care -- Addressing cultural competency in diabetes care.
- Diabetes oxidative stress and dietary antioxidants 2014ScienceDirect
- Diabetes from growth hormone excess / Neggers, S.J., van der Lely, A.J. -- Diabetes in growth hormone deficiency / Prodam, F., Zavattaro, M., Caputo, M., Marzullo, P., Aimaretti, G. -- Diabetes associated with glucocorticoid excess / Janssen, J.A.M.J.L., Lamberts, S.W. -- Diabetes in hyperaldosteronism / Crudo, V., Mulatero, P., Monticone, S., Veglio, F. -- Diabetes from catecholamine excess / Mannelli, M., Parenti, G., Zampetti, B., Canu, L., Mannucci, E. -- Diabetes and hyperthyroidism / Mitrou, P., Dimitriadis, G., Raptis, S.A. -- Diabetes secondary to neuroendocrine gastroenteropancreatic tumors / Minuto, F., Ferone, D., Boschetti, M., Albertelli, M., Gatto, F. -- Type 2 diabetes in polycystic ovary syndrome / Pasquali, R., Gambineri, A. -- Diabetes in hyperparathyroidism / Thomas, A., Kautzky-Willer, A. -- Posttransplant diabetes / Secchi, A., Scavini, M. -- Diabetes in pancreatitis, pancreatectomy, and other pancreatic diseases / Tiengo, A., Vigili de Kreutzenberg, S., Del Prato, S. -- Fibrocalculous pancreatic diabetes / Unnikrishnan, R., Mohan, V. -- Diabetes and hemochromatosis / Wood, M.J., Gonsalkorala, E.S., Powell, L.W. -- Secondary diabetes : clinical considerations / Ghigo, E., Guaraldi, F., Porta, M.
- Diagnosis and management of pituitary disorders 2008Springer
- Part I. The syndrome. 1. Clinical manifestations of PCOS / Pasquali Renato --2. The Menstrual cycle in PCOS / Sabrina Gill and Janet E. Hall -- 3. The Radiology of Polycystic ovaries / Susan J. Barter -- Part II. Origins -- 4. Insulin resistance in PCOS / Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarakis and Charikleia D. Christakou -- 5. Genetics of metabolic syndrome and genetic lipodystrophies / Tisha R. Joy and Robert A. Hegele -- 6. The Genetics of polycystic ovary syndrome / Brad Eilerman, Marzieh Salehi, and Yaron Tomer -- 7. Uterine origins and evolution in childhood / Agathocles Tsatsoulis and Nectaria Xita -- Part III. Consequences -- 8. Hyperandrogenism in PCOS / Neoklis A. Georgopoulos, Eleni Kandaraki, and Dimitrios Panidis -- 9. The Risk of diabetes and metabolic syndrome in PCOS / Thomas M. Barber -- 10. The Risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes in the Polycystic ovary syndrome / Susmeeta T. Sharma and John E. Nestler -- 11. Pregnancy complications in PCOS / Roy Homburg -- 12. Polycystic ovary syndrome, sleep apnea, and daytime sleepiness and fatigue / Alexandros N. Vgontzas and Susan Calhoun -- 13. Polycystic ovarian syndrome and gynaecological cancer / Alexandra Lawrence and W. Peter Mason -- 14. PCOS, depression, and Alzheimer's disease / Pascale G. Stemmle, Heather A. Kenna, and Natalie L. Rasgon -- 15. Psychological issues and their treatment / Melissa J. Himelein and Samuel S. Thatcher -- Part IV. Management -- 16. Dietary management of PCOS / Kate Marsh -- 17. Exercise in the treatment of PCOS / Emma Stevenson -- 18. Medical treatment / Jean-Patrice Baillargeon and Nadir R. Farid -- 19. Therapy of hirsutism / Salvatore Benvenga -- 20. Ovulation induction in PCOS / Evert J.P. van Santbrink -- 21. IVF in Polycystic ovary syndrome / Rehan Salim and Paul Serhal -- 22. The Surgical management of Polycystic ovarian syndrome / Colin J. Davis -- 23. When periods stop: long-term consequences of PCOS / Enrico Carmina, Ettore Guastella, and Manfredi Rizzo.
- Diseases of the pancreas current surgical therapy 2008Springer
- Diseases of the parathyroid glands 2012Springer1. Molecular Mechanisms of Parathyroid Hormone Synthesis / Tally Naveh-Many and Morris Nechama -- 2. Regulation of Calcium and Phosphate Metabolism / Arthur D. Conigrave -- 3. Diagnosis and Treatment of the Patient with Abnormal Calcium / Elizabeth H. Holt -- 4. The Calcium-Sensing Receptor: Physiology and Pathophysiology / Friedhelm Raue and Christine Haag -- 5. New Concepts for Primary and Secondary Hyperparathyroidism / Joachim Beige and Peter Lamesch -- 6. Calcific Uremic Arteriolopathy (Calciphylaxis) / Earl H. Rudolph and Edgar V. Lerma -- 7. Cystic Parathyroid Lesions / Jean-François Henry and Maurizio Iacobone -- 8. Parathyroid Cancer / Maurizio Iacobone and Jean-François Henry -- 9. Biochemistry, Physiology, and Pathophysiology of Parathyroid Hormone-Related Peptide / Bandana Chakravarti, Shailendra K. Dhar Dwivedi, Ambrish Mithal and Naibedya Chattopadhyay -- 10. Ectopic Parathyroid Glands / Jean-François Henry and Maurizio Iacobone -- 11. Hyperparathyroidism in Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia / Syeda S. Zaidi, Vipul T. Lakhani and James T. Broome -- 12. Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia / Ogo I. Egbuna and Edward M. Brown -- 13. Hyperparathyroidism-Jaw Tumor Syndrome / Andrew C. Calabria and Michael A. Levine -- 14. Hypoparathyroidism and Pseudohypoparathyroidism / Rajesh V. Thakker -- 15. Primary Hyperparathyroidism in Neonates and Children / Eric Mallet and Mireille Castanet -- 16. Hypoparathyroidism in Children / Anne Lienhardt-Roussie and Agnès Linglart -- 17. Parathormone Resistance in Children / Agnès Linglart and Eric Mallet -- 18. The Use of Ultrasonography in the Management of Parathyroid Diseases / Zvonimir L. Milas and Mira Milas -- 19. Imaging in Parathyroid Diseases / Donald R. Neumann and Joyce J. Shin -- 20. Parathyroid Surgery / Zvonimir L. Milas and Mira Milas.
- Ontogenesis and anatomy of the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis / Tsoumalis, G.; Tsatsoulis, A -- Thyroid disease during pregnancy / Lazarus, J.H -- Thyroid function in the newborn and infant / Spiliotis, B.E. -- Pediatric aspects of thyroid function and iodine / Knobel, M., Medeiros-Neto, G -- Thyroid hormone transport and actions / Feldt-Rasmussen, U., Rasmussen, Å.K. -- The thyroid and autoimmunity in children and adolescents / Weetman, A.P. -- Congenital hypothyroidism / Karges, B., Kiess, W. -- Newborn screening, hypothyroidism in infants, children and adolescents / Büyükgebiz, A. -- Resistance to thyroid hormone in childhood / Bakker, O. -- Pendred syndrome / Kassem, S., Glaser, B. -- Treatment of hyperthyroidism due to Graves' disease in children / Rivkees, S.A. -- Thyroid-associated ophthalmopathy in juvenile Graves' disease: clinical, endocrine and therapeutic aspects / Krassas, G.E., Gogakos, A. -- Differentiated thyroid carcinoma in pediatric age / Wiersinga, W.M. -- Imaging of the normal and affected thyroid in childhood / Bennedbæk, F.N., Hegedüs, L. -- Thyroid and other autoimmune diseases with emphasis on type 1 diabetes mellitus and Turner syndrome / Kapellen, T. ...[et al.] -- Thyroid and trace elements in children and adolescence / Kahaly, G.J.
- Disorders of the human adrenal cortex 2008KargerSteroidogenic enzymes / Miller, W.L. -- Disorders of adrenal development / Ferraz-de-Souza, B.; Achermann, J.C. -- Adrenal androgens in humans and nonhuman primates: production, zonation and regulation / Nguyen, A.D.; Conley, A.J. -- Clinical implications of androgen synthesis via 5[alpha]-reduced precursors / Ghayee, H.J.; Auchus, R.J. -- P450 oxidoreductase deficiency: a new form of congenital adrenal hyperplasia / Flück, C.E. ... [et al.] -- Long-term outcome of prenatal treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia / Lajic, S.; Nordenström, A.; Hirvikoski, T. -- Adrenocorticotropin resistance syndromes / Cooray, S.N. ... [et al.] -- Cushing Syndrome caused by adrenocortical tumors and hyperplasias (corticotropin-independent Cushing Syndrome) / Stratakis, S.A. -- The role of adrenal steroidogenesis in arterial hypertension / Mohaupt, M.G. -- Fetal programming of adrenal androgen excess: lessons from a nonhuman primate model of polycystic ovary syndrome / Abbott, D.H. ... [et al.].
- Doves, diplomats, and diabetes a Darwinian interpretation of Type 2 Diabetes and related disorders 2013Springer1. A Darwinian Way of Thinking -- 2. Diabetes in a Textbook -- 3. Diabetes in an Undergraduate Class -- 4. The Rise and Fall of Thrift -- 5. Of Hawks and Doves -- 6. Of Soldiers and Diplomats -- 7. The Physiology of Aggression -- 8. Deploying the Immunological Garrison -- 9. Why Population Density Matters -- 10. Time to Give Up Stress -- 11. Fat: Beyond Energy Storage -- 12. Why Blood Sugar Goes Up -- 13. Beating Around the "Wrong" Bush? -- 14. Behavioral Deficiencies and Behavioral Supplementation -- 15. Where Do We Go From Here?
- Dyslipidemias: Pathophysiology, Evaluation and Management provides a wealth of general and detailed guidelines for the clinical evaluation and management of lipid disorders in adults and children. Covering the full range of common through rare lipid disorders, this timely resource offers targeted, practical information for all clinicians who care for patients with dyslipidemias, including general internists, pediatric and adult endocrinologists, pediatricians, lipidologists, cardiologists, internists, and geneticists. For the last twenty years, there has been a growing recognition worldwide of the importance of managing dyslipidemia for the primary and secondary prevention of atherosclerotic vascular disease, especially coronary heart disease. This has been mainly due to the publication of the guidelines of National Cholesterol Education Programs Adult Treatment Panel and Pediatric Panel from the United States. These guidelines have stimulated generation of similar recommendations from all over the world, particularly Europe, Canada, Australia and Asia. Developed by a renowned group of leading international experts, the book offers state-of-the-art chapters that are peer-reviewed and represent a comprehensive assessment of the field. A major addition to the literature, Dyslipidemias: Pathophysiology, Evaluation and Management is a gold-standard level reference for all clinicians who are challenged to provide the best care and new opportunities for patients with dyslipidemias.
- Endemic cretinism 2011Springer
- This volume updates its classic predecessor in both content and format. Written by two of the respected authorities in diagnostic endocrinology, it includes detailed information on how to perform and interpret those laboratory test procedures used to confirm the clinical diagnosis of the majority of known endocrine disorders. Newly designed, it provides a standardized format that makes it easier to access complete information about the diagnosis, screening, and management of traditional and newly perceived endocrine disorders. It provides sample calculations to assist with complex formulas as well as ICD-9 codes for all procedures.
- Endocrine and reproductive physiology. 4th ed. 2013ClinicalKeyIntroduction to the endocrine system -- Endocrine function of the gastrointestinal tract -- Energy metabolism -- Calcium and phosphate homeostasis -- Hypothalamus-pituitary complex -- The thyroid gland -- The adrenal gland -- Life cycle of the male and female reproductive system -- The male reproductive system -- The female reproductive system -- Fertilization, pregnancy, and lactation.
- Endocrine disruption modeling 2009CRCnetBASEIn silico methods for modeling endocrine disruption / James Devillers -- Mechanisms of endocrine disruptions : a tentative overview / Jean-Marc Porcher, James Devillers, and Nathalie Marchand-Geneste -- Population dynamics modeling : a tool for environmental risk assessment of endocrine disrupting chemicals / Andrew R. Brown ... [et al.] -- Application of pharmacokinetic modeling to understand the mechanism of action of endocrine disrupting chemicals / James Devillers -- Comparative modeling review of nuclear hormone receptor superfamily / Nathalie Marchand-Geneste and James Devillers -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Endocrine Disruptor Knowledge Base (EDKB) : lessons learned in QSAR modeling and applications / Hong Fang ... [et al.] -- A structure-activity relationship (SAR) analysis for the identification of environmental estrogens : the categorical-SAR (cat-SAR) approach / Albert R. Cunningham ... [et al.] -- Kohonen and counterpropagation neural networks employed for modeling endocrine disruptors / Marjana Novič and Marjan Vračko -- Quantitative spectrometric data-activity relationships (QSDAR) models of endocrine disruptor binding activities / Richard D. Beger, Dan A. Buzatu, and Jon G. Wilkes -- Mechanism-based modeling of estrogen receptor binding affinity : a Common Reactivity Pattern (COREPA) implementation / Ovanes Mekenyan and Rossitsa Serafimova -- Molecular field analysis methods for modeling endocrine disruptors / Jean-Pierre Doucet and Annick Panaye -- Structure-activity modeling of a diverse set of androgen receptor ligands / James Devillers ... [et al.] -- SAR and QSAR analyses of substituted dibenzoylhydrazines for their mode of action as ecdysone agonists / Toshio Fujita and Yoshiaki Nakagawa -- e-Endocrine disrupting chemical databases for deriving SAR and QSAR models / Nathalie Marchand-Geneste ... [et al.].
- Endocrine disruptors and puberty 2012Springer1. Introduction to Endocrine Disruptors and Puberty / Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarakis and Andrea C. Gore -- pt. I. EDCs, Endocrine Systems, and Puberty -- 2. In Utero Exposure to Environmental Chemicals: Lessons from Maternal Cigarette Smoking and Its Effects on Gonad Development and Puberty / Rebecca McKinlay, Peter O'Shaughnessey, Richard M. Sharpe, and Paul A. Fowler -- 3. Reproductive Neuroendocrine Targets of Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors / Sarah M. Dickerson, Stephanie L. Cunningham, and Andrea C. Gore -- 4. Endocrine Disruptors and Puberty Disorders from Mice to Men (and Women) / Alberto Mantovani -- 5. Thyroid Hormone Regulation of Mammalian Reproductive Development and the Potential Impact of Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals / Kara Renee Thoemke, Thomas William Bastian, and Grant Wesley Anderson -- pt. II. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors and adverse reproductive outcomes -- 6. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors and Ovarian Function / Evanthia Diamanti-Kandarakis, Eleni Palioura, Eleni A. Kandaraki -- 7. Developmental Exposure to Environmental Endocrine Disruptors and Adverse Effects on Mammary Gland Development / Suzanne E. Fenton, Lydia M. Beck, Aditi R. Borde, and Jennifer L. Rayner -- 8. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors and Male Urogenital Tract Malformations / Mariana F. Fernandez and Nicolas Olea -- 9. EDC Exposures and the Development of Reproductive and Nonreproductive Behaviors / Craige C. Wrenn, Ashwini Mallappa, and Amy B. Wisniewski -- pt. III. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disruptors and Metabolic Disorders -- 10. Adipocytes as Target Cells for Endocrine Disruption / Amanda Janesick and Bruce Blumberg -- 11. Altered Glucose Homeostasis Resulting from Developmental Exposures to Endocrine Disruptors / Alan Schneyer and Melissa Brown -- 12. Developmental Exposure to Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals: Is There a Connection with Birth and Childhood Weights? / Elizabeth E. Hatch, Jessica W. Nelson, Rebecca Troisi, and Linda Titus -- pt. IV. EDCs and Human Health -- 13. The Impact of Endocrine Disruptors on Female Pubertal Timing / Jean-Pierre Bourguignon and Anne-Simone Parent -- 14. The Influence of Endocrine Disruptors on Male Pubertal Timing / Xiufeng Wu, Ningning Zhang, and Mary M. Lee -- 15. Secular Trends in Pubertal Timing: A Role for Environmental Chemical Exposure? / Vincent F. Garry and Peter Truran.
- Endocrine emergencies recognition and treatment 2014SpringerEndocrine Emergencies: Recognition and Treatment offers a state-of-the-art update on the management of endocrine, diabetic, and metabolic emergencies. Developed by renowned experts, this comprehensive and easy to read title brings the field fully up to date, setting a high standard for diagnosis and treatment in each category. All chapters begin with a summary that presents, in concentrated form, what the physician needs to know to begin the evaluation and emergency treatment of the known endocrine emergencies. This is followed by an extended discussion of the pathophysiology that can be read after initial treatment has begun. Covering such areas as hypoglycemia, acute adrenal insufficiency, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, thyroid storm, and pituitary apoplexy, just to name several, Endocrine Emergencies: Recognition and Treatment is an invaluable, practical resource that will be of great interest to endocrinologists, internal medicine and emergency room physicians, fellows and residents.
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Adrenal Hypertension -- 1. Primary Aldosteronism: Progress in Diagnosis, Therapy, and Genetics / Franco Veglio -- 2. Syndromes of Mineralocorticoid Excess / Christian A. Koch -- 3. Hypertension in Patients with Cushing's Syndrome / George P. Chrousos -- 4. Primary Generalized Familial and Sporadic Glucocorticoid Resistance (Chrousos Syndrome) and Hypersensitivity / George P. Chrousos -- 5. Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia / Deborah P. Merke -- 6. Adrenal Incidentalomas and Arterial Hypertension / George P. Chrousos -- 7. Pheochromocytoma: Unmasking the Chameleon / Karel Pacak -- pt. II Other Potential Causes of Endocrine Hypertension -- 8. Hypertension in Growth Hormone Excess and Deficiency / George R. Merriam -- 9. Primary Hyperparathyroidism and Hypertension / Shonni J. Silverberg -- 10. Hypertension, Vitamin D Deficiency, and Calcium Metabolism / Vin Tangpricha -- 11. Testosterone Deficiency or Male Hypogonadism / Michael Zitzmann -- 12. Insulin Resistance and Hypertension / Helmut O. Steinberg -- 13. Obesity-Associated Hypertension / Gabriel I. Uwaifo -- 14. Central Mineralocorticoid Receptors and Cardiovascular Disease / Elise P. Gomez-Sanchez.
- Inherited and sporadic epimutations at the IGF2-H19 locus in Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome and Wilms' tumor / Riccio, A. ... [et al.] -- Epigenetic regulation of growth : lessons from Silver-Russell syndrome / Eggermann, T. -- Genetic imprinting : the paradigm of Prader-Willi and Angelman syndromes / Gurrieri, F., Accadia, M. -- Muscle involvement and IGF-1 signaling in genetic disorders : new therapeutic approaches / Barberi, L. ... [et al.] -- Mitochondrial encephalomyopathies and related syndromes : brief review / Bertini, E., D'Amico A. -- Overgrowth syndromes : a classification / Neri, G., Moscarda, M. -- C-type natriuretic peptide and overgrowth / Bocciardi, R., Ravazzolo, R. -- Role of transcription factors in midline central nervous system and pituitary defects / Kelberman, D., Dattani, M.T. -- Developmental abnormalities of the posterior pituitary gland / Di Iorgi, N. ... [et al.] -- Hyperinsulinism in developmental syndromes / Kapoor, R.R., James, C., Hussain, K. -- Developmental syndromes : growth hormone deficiency and treatment / Mazzanti, L. ... [et al.] -- Growth hormone-resistant syndromes : long-term follow-up / Chernausek, S.D. -- Phenotypic aspects of growth hormone- and IGF-I-resistant syndromes / Savage, M.O. ... [et al.] -- Double diabetes : a mixture of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in youth / Pozzilli, P., Guglielmi, C. -- Cryptorchidism as part of the testicular dysgenesis syndrome : the environmental connection / Main, K.M., Skakkebaek, N.E., Toppari, J. -- Disorders of sex development in developmental syndromes / Hiort, O., Gillessen-Kaesbach, G.
- Endocrine manifestations of systemic autoimmune diseases 2008ScienceDirectThis book is one of the first to evaluate the role of Steroids in autoimmune rheumatic diseases from the basic mechanisms to the clinical involvements and focuses on the importance of steroidal hormones in the pathogenesis and therapeutical management of the autoimmune rheumatic diseases. In particular, the chapters analyze the mechanisms of action and the involvement of adrenal steroids (glucocorticoids) in the neuroendocrine immune system, including the effects on elderly. The perturbations of the HPA axis as source of altered steroidal sythesis will be discussed and related to some interesting pathological conditions often complicating the autoimmune rheumatic diseases susch as psychosis or fibromyalgia. Concerning the role of gonadal steroids (sex hormones), several chapters will discuss clinical and epidemiological evidences of their role, as well as their effects as risk factors in autoimmune rheumatic diseases, including a section in Pediatrics. *The premier issue evaluating the role of Steroids in autoimmune rheumatic diseases from the basic mechanisms to the clinical involvements *Documents the latest research and indicate recent and coming new therapeutical-biological approaches to the therapy *The book will present therapeutical perspectives concerning the new glucocorticoids, and the effects of biological drugs on their synthesis.
- Endocrine neoplasia 2010SpringerPart. I Thyroid.-- Biology of thyroid oncogenesis / Insoo Suh, Electron Kebebew.-- Evaliation of the thyroid nodule / Dina M. Elaraj.-- Differentiated thyroid cancers of follicular cell origin / Linwah Yip, Sally E. Carty.-- Sporadic medullary thyroid cancer / Adrian Harvey, Janice L. Pasieka.-- Anaplastic thyroid cancer / Alan P.B. Dackiw.-- Part II. Parathyroid.-- Primary hyperparathyroidism / Kaitlyn J. Kelly, Herbert Chen, Rebecca S. Sippel.-- Parathyromatosis and parathyroid cancer / Wen T. Shen.-- Part III. Incidentaloma / Jacob Malem, Insoo Suh, Quan-Yang Duh.-- Pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma / Goswin Y. Meyer-Rochow, Stan B. Sidhu.-- Functional cortical neoplasms / Ali Zarrinpar, Michael W. Yeh.-- Adrenocortical carcinoma / Patsy S.H. Soon, Stan B. Sidhu.-- Part IV. Pnacreatic neuroendocrine tumors.-- Gastrinoma / Anthony J. Chambers, Janice L. Pasieka.-- Insulinoma / Kimberly Vanderveen, Clive Grant.-- Rare neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas / Shih-Ping Cheng, Gerard M. Doherty.-- Part V. Multiple endocrine neoplasia.-- Menin gene / Hsin-Chieh Jennifer Shen, Steven K. Libutti.-- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type I: clinical manifestations and management / Anathea C. Powell, Steven K. Libutti.-- RET protooncogene / Amber L. Traugott, Jeffrey F. Moley.-- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2: clinical manifestations and management / Amber L. Traugott, Jeffrey F. Moely.
- Methods in cellular and molecular pathology / Paul Komminoth ... [et al.] -- Hypothalamus and neurohypophysis / Kazuhiro Takahashi, Osamu Murakami, and Toraichi Mouri -- Tumors in the adenohypophysis / Fateme Salehi ... [et al.] -- Recent developments in molecular embryogenesis and molecular biology of the pituitary / Robert Y. Osamura and Noboru Egashira -- Recent developments in the molecular biology of pituitary tumors / Ricardo V. Lloyd -- The pineal gland / Katherine M. Lindstrom and M. Beatriz S. Lopes -- The parathyroid / H. Rubén Harach -- Recent developments in the molecular biology of the parathyroid / Vânia Nosé and Ashraf Khan -- Pathology of thyroid gland / Ashraf Khan and Vânia Nosé -- Recent developments in the molecular biology of the thyroid / Yuri E. Nikiforov -- Adrenal cortex / Hironobu Sasano ... [et al.] -- Adrenal medulla and paraganglia / Anne Marie McNicol -- Molecular biology of pheochromocytomas and paragangliomas / Elizabeth E. King and Patricia L.M. Dahia -- Endocrine ovaries / Xavier Matias Guiu -- Endocrine testis / Robert E. Emerson, Liang Cheng, and Thomas M. Ulbright -- Endocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal system / Guido Rindi ... [et al.] -- The endocrine pancreas / Stefano La Rosa ... [et al.] -- Neuroendocrine differentiation patterns in various organs (including lung, breast, skin, and urogenital tract) / Marco Volante ... [et al.] -- Endocrine lung / William D. Travis -- Cutaneous neuroendocrine tumors / Lori A. Erickson -- Neuroendocrine carcinomas of the thymus / Cesar A. Moran and Saul Suster -- Endocrine placenta / Raymond W. Redline -- Fine needle aspiration cytology of endocrine glands / Ema A. Dragoescu and Celeste N. Powers -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome / Kennichi Kakudo, Yasuhiro Ito, and Masahide Takahashi -- Polyglandular autoimmune diseases / Ricardo V. Lloyd -- Biochemical testing for neuroendocrine tumors / Aaron I. Vinik and Maria P. Silva -- Surgical management of endocrine disorders / Joseph B. Lillegard, Travis J. McKenzie, and Geoffrey B. Thompson -- Medical treatment of neuroendocrine tumors / Timothy J. Hobday -- Radiation treatment of endocrine tumors / Sunil Krishnan, Deepa Suresh, and Robert L. Foote -- Future directions in endocrine pathology / Ricardo V. Lloyd.
- Endocrine physiology. 4th ed. 2013AccessMedicineThis book provides comprehensive coverage of the fundamental concepts of hormone biological action. These concepts provide a solid foundation for understanding the physiologic mechanisms involved in neuroendocrine regulation of organ function. -- Publisher description
- Endocrine secrets. Sixth edition [6th ed.]. 2013ScienceDirect2013 ClinicalKeyContinues the tradition of the Secrets Series®, offering fast answers to the most essential clinical endocrinology questions. The Q&A format includes pearls, tips, and memory aids to help you to learn and study efficiently. Provides a concise board review or handy clinical endocrinology resource.
- Endocrine surgery principles and practice 2009Springer
- Endocrine surgery. 5th ed. 2014ClinicalKeyParathyroid disease / William B. Inabnet III, James A. Lee, and Barnard J.A. Palmer -- The thyroid gland / James C. Lee, Justin S. Gundara, and Stanley B. Sidhu -- The adrenal glands / Sebastian Aspinall -- Familial endocrine disease : genetics, clinical presentation, and management / Paul Brennan, Stephen G. Ball, and T.W.J. Lennard -- Endocrine tumours of the pancreas / Robin M. Cisco and Jeffrey A. Norton -- Gastrointestinal neuroendocrine tumours / Goran Akerstrom, Per Hellman, and Ola Hessman -- Clinical governance, ethics, and medico-legal aspects of endocrine surgery / Peter Angelos and Barnard J. Harrison -- The salivary glands / Paula Bradley, James O'Hara, and Janet Wilson.
- Endocrine tumor syndromes and their genetics 2013KargerMultiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 / Agarwal, S.K. -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 / Lodish, M. -- Von Hippel-Lindau syndrome / Chou, A. ... [et al.] -- Carney complex -- Espiard, S., Bertherat, J. -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 4 / Lee, M., Pellegata, N.S. -- Novel hereditary forms of pheochromocytomas and paragangliomas / Dahia, P.L.M. -- Carney triad / Carney, J.A. -- Genetics of pituitary adenomas / Gadelha, M.R. ... [et al.] -- Clinical behavior and genetics of nonsyndromic, familial nonmedullary thyroid cancer / Bauer, A.J. -- Genetic defects associated with familial and sporadic hyperparathyroidism / Hendy, G.N., Cole, D.E.C. -- Endocrine tumors associated with neurofibromatosis type 1, Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, and other familial neoplasia syndromes / Kalkan, E., Waguespack, S.G.
- Endocrine updates v. 25-, 2007-Springer
- Endocrinology an integrated approach 2001NCBI Bookshelf
- Endocrinology, and diabetes care in particular, is a dynamic field where clinicians must translate new evidence into clinical practice at a rapid pace. Designed in an engaging, case-based format, Endocrinology and Diabetes: A Problem Oriented Approach offers a wide range of thought-provoking case studies that reflect contemporary, challenging, hands-on clinical care. Further, by providing a list of specific clinical problems, this format offers the reader a more convenient and pointed way to solve precise clinical problems in a timely manner. Developed by a renowned, international group of experts, this comprehensive title covers the most common clinical problems in endocrinology and diabetes and should be of great interest to endocrinologists, diabetologists, internal medicine physicians, family physicians, fellows, and residents.
- Case 1. Difficult-to-treat hyperthyroidism -- Case 2. Hypothyroidism complicated by hypothyroid coma -- Case 3. Hyperthyroidism in pregnancy -- Case 4. Graves' disease associated with a thyroid nodule -- Case 5. A complicated case of thyroid eye disease -- Case 6. Cushing's Syndrome -- Case 7. Prolactinoma presenting with galactorrhoea and secondary amenorrhoea: diagnosis and management -- Case 8. A 25-year-old woman with headache and joint pain -- Case 9. Recent-onset visual field loss and raised prolactin level (non-functioning pituitary tumour ) -- Case 10. Polyuria and polydipsia -- Case 11. Hypertension in the young adult -- Case 12. Weight loss and dizziness: adrenal failure -- Case 13. Diagnosis and management of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) -- Case 14. Salt-wasting crisis in a newborn -- Case 15. Female infertility: diagnosis and management -- Case 16. Diagnosis and management of hypocalcaemia in adults -- Case 17. Hypoglycaemia case study -- Case 18. Spontaneous hypoglycaemia -- Case 19. Thyroid nodule in a child (MEN 2) -- Case 20. What kind of diabetes? -- Case 21. Managing diabetes in pregnancy -- Case 22. Inability to lose weight -- Case 23. Medical problems in obesity -- Case 24. A case of severe hyponatraemia -- Case 25. Medical problems post bariatric surgery -- Index.
- Endocrinology basic and clinical principles. 2nd ed. 2005Springer
- Understanding the influence and interaction between physical activity and the endocrine system are of paramount importance in dealing with a multitude of health problems. In Endocrinology of Physical Activity and Sport, renowned physicians and researchers provide a comprehensive and expanded update on the scientific, clinical and practical components of endocrinology as related to sport and exercise. The authors thoroughly review what is known about how such activity affects the endocrine system and how in turn these hormonal responses affect many other organs and systems of the body. In addition, aspects of endocrinology in non-glandular tissue which have endocrine actions are addressed; for example, adipocytes and the release of leptin and related adipocytokines. Further, a wide range of clinically related topics such as athletic amenorrhea, osteopenia, sarcopenia, and hypogonadism are included. This new edition critically integrates what is known about the complex interaction of the endocrine system in the sports context and will again prove immensely valuable to all physicians and clinical investigators treating those active in sports today.
- Endocrinology-- adult & pediatric. 7th edition. v.1-2=, 2016ClinicalKey
- Print MaterialV. 1 -- Endocrinology: impact on science and medicine -- Control of hormone gene expression -- Control of hormone secretion -- Insulin and growth factor signaling pathways -- Hormone signaling via G protein-coupled receptors -- Nuclear receptors: structure, function, and coregulators -- Applications of genetics in endocrinology -- Development of the pituitary -- Prolactin -- Adrenocorticotropic hormone -- Endocrine rhythms, the sleep-wake cycle, and biological clocks -- Hypothalamic syndromes -- Hypopituitarism and growth hormone deficiency -- Acromegaly -- Cushing's syndrome -- Clinically nonfunctioning sellar masses -- TSH-producing adenomas -- Disorders of prolactin secretion and prolactinomas -- Pituitary surgery -- Evaluation and management of childhood hypothalamic and pituitary tumors -- Vasopressin, diabetes insipidus, and the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion -- The pineal gland and melatonin -- Regulation of growth hormone and action (secretagogues) -- Insulin-like growth factor-1 and its binding proteins -- Somatic growth and maturation -- Growth hormone deficiency in children -- Appetite regulation and thermogenesis -- Obesity: the problem and its management -- Genetic syndromes associated with obesity -- Anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and other eating disorders -- Development of the endocrine pancreas -- Biosynthesis, processing, and secretion of the islet hormones: insulin, islet amyloid polypeptide (amylin), glucagon, somatostatin, and pancreatic polypeptide -- Insulin secretion -- The mechanisms of insulin action -- Glucagon and the glucagon-like peptides -- Regulation of intermediatory metabolism during fasting and feeding -- Role of the adipocyte in metabolism and endocrine function -- Lipodystrophy syndromes -- Classification and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus -- Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus: etiology, pathogenesis, prediction, and prevention -- Type 2 diabetes mellitus: etiology, pathogenesis, and natural history -- Lipoprotein metabolism and the treatment of lipid disorders -- Hyperglycemia secondary to nondiabetic conditions and therapies -- The metabolic syndrome -- Treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus in adults -- Ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar coma -- Hypoglycemia and hypoglycemic syndromes -- Management of type 2 diabetes mellitus -- Management of diabetes mellitus in children -- Pancreatic and islet transplantation -- Diabetes control, long-term complications, and large vessel disease -- Diabetic eye disease -- Diabetes mellitus: neuropathy -- Diabetic nephropathy -- Diabetic foot and vascular complications -- Parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related peptide in the regulation of calcium homeostasis and bone development -- Calcitonin -- Vitamin D: from photosynthesis, metabolism, and action to clinical applications -- Bone development and remodeling -- Calcium regulation, calcium homeostasis, and genetic disorders of calcium metabolism -- Genetic disorders of phosphate homeostasis -- Primary hyperparathyroidism -- Malignancy-associated hypercalcemia and medical management -- Surgical management of hyperparathyroidism -- Pseudohypoparpathyroidism, Albright's hereditary osteodystrophy, and progressive osseous heteroplasia: disorders caused by inactivating GNAS mutations -- Genetic defects in vitamin D metabolism and action -- Hereditary disorders of the skeleton -- Bone density and imaging of osteoporosis -- Chronic kidney disease mineral and bone disorder -- Disorders of calcification: osteomalacia and rickets -- Paget's disease of bone -- V. 2 -- Anatomy and development of the thyroid -- Thyroid-stimulating hormone: physiology and secretion -- Thyroid regulatory factors -- Thyroid hormone metabolism -- Mechanisms of thyroid hormone action -- Thyroid function testing -- Thyroid imaging -- Autoimmune thyroid disease -- Graves' disease -- Graves' ophthalmopathy -- Autonomously functioning thyroid nodules and other causes of thyrotoxicosis -- Chronic (Hashimoto's) thyroiditis -- Subacute and Riedel's thyroiditis -- Hypothyroidism and myxedema coma -- Nonthyroidal illness syndrome: a form of hypothyroidism -- Multinodular goiter -- Iodine deficiency disorders -- Thyroid neoplasia -- Medullary thyroid carcinoma and multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 -- Thyroid-stimulating hormone receptor mutations -- Genetic defects in thyroid hormone synthesis and action -- Thyroid hormone binding and variants of transport proteins -- Resistance to thyroid hormone -- Surgery of the thyroid -- The principles, enzymes, and pathways of human steroidogenesis -- Glucocorticoid action: physiology -- Glucocorticoid receptors: their mechanisms of action and glucocorticoid resistance -- Aldosterone: secretion and action -- Glucocorticoid therapy -- Adrenal insufficiency -- Adrenal causes of hypercortisolism -- Defects of adrenal steroidogenesis -- Adrenarche and adrenopause -- Adrenal gland imaging -- Adrenocortical carcinoma -- Primary mineralocorticoid excess syndromes and hypertension -- Mineralocorticoid deficiency -- Pheochromocytoma -- Adrenal surgery -- Hormones of the cardiovascular system -- Hyponatremia and hypernatremia -- Orthostatic hypotension and orthostatic intolerance -- Endocrine aspects of critical care medicine -- Gonadotropin-releasing hormones -- Gonadal peptides: inhibins, activins, follistatin, Müllerian-inhibiting substance (antimüllerian hormone) -- Gonadotropins-regulation of synthesis and secretion -- Genetic basis of gonadal and genital development -- Diagnosis and treatment of disorders of sexual development -- Endocrinology of sexual maturation and puberty -- Precocious puberty -- Delayed puberty -- Hormonal control of breast development -- The endocrinology of sexual behavior and gender identity -- Folliculogenesis, ovulation, and luteogenesis -- Ovarian hormone synthesis -- Estrogen and progesterone action -- Hormonal regulation of the menstrual cycle, mechanisms of ovulation, premenstrual syndromes -- Amenorrhea, anovulation, and dysfunctional uterine bleeding -- Endometriosis -- Female subfertility: evaluation and management -- Hyperandrogenism, hirsutism, and the polycystic ovary syndrome -- Ovulation induction and assisted reproduction -- Contraception -- Menopause -- Functional morphology of the testis -- Androgen physiology, pharmacology, and abuse -- Testicular dysgenesis syndrome, cryptorchidism, hypospadias, and testicular tumors -- Androgen deficiency disorders -- Gynecomastia -- Clinical management of male infertility -- Male contraception -- Endocrinology of the prostate -- The endocrinology of human pregnancy and parturition -- Fetal and neonatal endocrinology -- Diabetes mellitus and pregnancy -- Diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disease during pregnancy -- Hormonal changes and endocrine testing in pregnancy -- Autoimmune polyglandular syndromes -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 -- Gastrointestinal hormones and tumor syndromes -- Carcinoid syndrome -- Ectopic hormone syndromes -- Endocrine testing.
- Hypopituitarism following radiotherapy revisited / Darzy, K.H., Shalet, S.M. -- Alterations in pubertal timing following therapy for childhood malignancies / Armstrong, G.T., Chow, E.J., Sklar, C.A. -- Obesity during and after treatment for childhood cancer / Reilly, J.J. -- Metabolic disorders / Gregory, J.W. -- Bone and bone turnover / Crofton, P.M. -- Male fertility and strategies for fertility preservation following childhood cancer treatment / Mitchell, R.T. ... [et al.] -- Fertility in female childhood cancer survivors / De Bruin, M.L. ... [et al.] -- Long-term follow-up of survivors of childhood cancer / Edgar, A.B. ... [et al.].
- 1. History and Biology of Erythropoietin in Hematopoietic and Non-Neural Tissues / Giorgia Melli, Sanjay Keswani and Ahmet Höke, p. 1-13 -- 2. Expression of Erythropoietin and Its Receptor in the Central Nervous System / Hugo Marti and Christian Bauer, p. 15-31 -- 3. Erythropoietin and Neuroprotection in the Central Nervous System: Intracellular Signaling Pathways / Murat Digicaylioglu, p. 33-48 -- 4. Regulation of Erythropoietin Expression in the Nervous System: The Hypoxia Inducible Factor / Juan Chavez and JoAnn Gensert, p. 49-67 -- 5. Erythropoietin Neuroprotection in the Term and Preterm Infant: Safety and Efficacy / Eric Demers and Sandra Juul, p. 69-98 -- 6. Erythropoietin for the Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke: Preclinical Rationale / Michael Renzi, Linda Jolliffe, Francis Farrell and Kenneth Rhodes, p. 99-112 -- 7. Erythropoietin Neuroprotection in the Retina / Gundula Rohde, Mathias Bähr and Jochen Weishaupt, p. 113-126 -- 8. Erythropoietin for Treatment of Human Brain Disease: Experience from Proof-of-Concept Trials / Hannelore Ehrenreich and Anna-Leena Sirén, p. 127-145 -- 9. Erythropoietin in Spinal Cord Injury Challenges for a Novel Neuroprotective Strategy / Michael Brines and Anthony Cerami, p. 147-164 -- 10. Erythropoietin and Neuroprotection in the Peripheral Nervous System: In Vivo Studies / W. Campana, p. 165-177 -- 11. An Endogenous Pathway Preventing Axonal Degeneration Mediated by Schwann Cell-Derived Erythropoietin / Sanjay Keswani and Ahmet Höke, p. 179-190 -- 12. Role of Erythropoietin in Inflammatory Pathologies of the CNS/ Pietro Ghezzi, Paolo Bigini and Manuela Mengozzi, p. 191-209 -- 13. Development of Non-Erythropoietic Erythropoietin Variants for Neuroprotection / Lars Torup and Marcel Leist, p. 211-219.
- Evidence-based endocrinology 2006SpringerThe new endocrinologist: evidence-based medicine meets endocrine practice / Victor M. Montori -- A short history of evidence-based medicine / Jeanne Daly -- The philosophy of evidence-based medicine, 15 years later / Gordon H. Guyatt and Jason W. Busse -- Preparing future generations of evidence-based endocrinologists / Michael L. Green -- Finding current best evidence in clinical endocrinology / R. Brian Haynes and Cynthia J. Walker-Dilks -- Integrating evidence into clinical diagnosis / W. Scott Richardson -- Supporting evidence-based endocrine practice / Steven A. Smith and Geoffrey Gates -- Helping patients make decisions at the point of care / Annette M. O'Connor, Dawn Stacey, and France Légaré -- Incorporating evidence into health policy decisions / Eduardo Ortiz and Janelle Guirguis-Blake -- The value of observational studies in endocrinology / L. Joseph Melton III -- The value of clinical investigations in endocrinology / William L. Isley -- Systematic reviews and the Cochrane collaboration in endocrinology / Bernd Richter -- Health-related quality of life of in endocrinology / Holger J. Schnemann and Elie A. Akl -- Using decision analyses in endocrinology / David Aron and Evelyn Mentari -- Clouded thinking: the misguided use of cost-effectiveness analysis and the implications for endocrine interventions / Amiram Gafni -- The value of translational research in diabetes: asking broader questions / Russell E. Glasgow, Elizabeth Bayliss, and Paul A. Estabrooks -- The patient with type 1 diabetes and hypoglycemia / Yogish C. Kudva, Teck-Kim Khoo and Peter J. Tebben -- The patient with medically complicated obesity / Kurt A. Kennel -- The patient at risk of type 2 diabetes: considering prevention / Sarah E. Capes -- The patient with type 2 diabetes and incomplete metabolic control / Sean F. Dinneen and Robert K. Semple -- The patient with diabetes using alternative medicine / Edward J. Mills and Dugald Seely -- The patient with osteoporosis / Clifford J. Rosen and Sue A. Brown -- The neuroendocrinology of medically unexplained syndromes: the example of chronic fatigue syndrome / Jason W. Busse.
- Hypothalamic-pituitary disorders -- Thyroid disorders -- Adrenal disorders -- Metabolic bone disorders -- Reproductive disorders -- Diabetes mellitus -- Lipid disorders -- Obesity and nutrition -- Multiple endocrine neoplasia -- Carcinoid tumors -- Paraneoplastic endocrine syndromes -- Genetics.
View by page
- Acute endocrinology from cause to consequence — Evidence-based endocrinology. 2nd ed. (100)
- Frontiers in gynecological endocrinology Volume 1, from symptoms to therapies — Pediatric genetics and inborn errors of metabolism a practically painless review (100)
- Pediatric neuroendocrinology — Yen and Jaffe's Reproductive endocrinology physiology, pathophysiology, and clinical management. 7th ed. (76)
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Large number of high quality software and database programming titles from O'Reilly. Other software titles are also available from Sams and Prentice Hall. Limited to 7 concurrent users.Vast collection of software and database programming titles from multiple publishers, including Microsoft Press.Largest provider of engineering-related eBooks; includes titles in computer science and biomedical engineering.Over 4,000 full-text e-books covering scientific and technical information from CRC Press and others. Many handbooks and single volume reference sources.A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more. Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.Includes peer-reviewed life science and biomedical research protocols compiled from Methods in Molecular Biology, Methods in Molecular Medicine, Methods in Biotechnology, Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuromethods, the Biomethods Handbook, the Proteomics Handbook, and Springer Laboratory Manuals.Contains full text access to selected biomedical and nursing books.Provides one-click access to important clinical resources; includes evidence-based diagnosis and treatment guidelines, Books, EBM articles, Ovid MEDLINE, Drug facts and comparisons, Drug interaction facts, guidelines from National Guideline Clearinghouse, patient handouts (English and Spanish), and local content.ClinicalKey provides access to textbooks, electronic journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.