Books by Subject
- Academic medicine handbook 2013, SpringerAttaining professional success and finding personal happiness in academic medicine is not an easy path, yet both are critical if the future is to be brighter through better science, better clinical care, better training, better responsiveness to communities, and better stewardship and leadership in the health professions. This concise, easy to read title consists of "mini" chapters intended as a resource to assist early- and middle-career physicians, clinicians, and scientists in understanding the unique mission of academic medicine and building creative, effective, and inspiring careers in a challenging field.
- Achieving excellence in medical education 2006, SpringerEducation matters -- Theoretical insights -- Understanding learners -- Promoting learners -- Educational excellence -- Educational technique -- Obstacles to excellence -- Organizational excellence -- Center of excellence -- Educational leadership.
- Advanced initiatives in interprofessional education in Japan 2010, Springer
- Assessment in health professions education 2009, ebraryIntroduction to assessment in the health professions / Steven M. Downing and Rachel Yudkowsky -- Validity and its threats / Steven M. Downing and Thomas M. Haladyna -- Reliability / Rick D. Alexson and Clarence D. Kreiter -- Generalizability theory / Clarence D. Kreiter -- Statistics of testing / Steven M. Downing -- Standard setting / Rachel Yudkowsky, Steven M. Downing, and Ara Tekian -- Written tests : constructed-response and selected-response formats / Steven M. Downing -- Observational assessment / William C. McGahie, John Butter, and Marsha Kaye -- Performance tests / Rachel Yudkowsky -- Simulations in assessment / William C. McGahie and S. Barry Issenberg -- Oral examinations / Ara Tekian and Rachel Yudkowsky -- Assessment portfolios / Ara Tekian and Rachel Yudkowsky.
- Bodies in formation 2013, ebraryIn Bodies in Formation, anthropologist Rachel Prentice enters surgical suites increasingly packed with new medical technologies to explore how surgeons are made in the early twenty-first century.
- Brain literacy for educators and psychologists 2002, ScienceDirectpt. 1.What educators need to know about the brain --1.Introduction and conceptual foundations --2.General principles of microstructure and microfunction --3.General principles of macrostructure and macrofunction --4.General principles of brain development --pt. 2.Linking brain research to literacy research --5.Building a reading brain neurologically --6.Building a writing brain neurologically --7.Building a computing brain neurologically --pt. 3.Linking literacy research to brain research --8.Building a reading brain pedagogically --9.Building a writing brain pedagogically --10.Building a computing brain pedagogically --pt. 4.Educational applications of brain-literacy links --11.Implications for educational policy --12.Implications for classroom practice.
- Designing teaching strategies 2002, ScienceDirect
- Distance education in public health 2003, NLMThis bibliography has been compiled to explore the issues surrounding the use of distance education in public health, as well as to help define and describe the evidence base for advancing distance-based training programs. For purposes of the bibliography, distance learning is defined as "the delivery of instruction over a distance to individuals in one or more remote location(s) via audio, video, or computer technologies." In compiling the bibliography, a variety of databases as well as the Internet were searched for articles published within the past 6 years. Over 1000 citations were retrieved and reviewed. References were arranged into seven broad subject categories: Administration and Management; Evaluation; Legal/Regulatory Issues; Technology; Target Audiences; Library Services; and Web Resources. This list is not meant to be all-inclusive. It is intended to introduce the user to some of the major issues within distance education and lead to additional inquiry. Generally, articles in foreign languages, letters to the editor, editorials, and non-health related articles were not included. However, a few general distance education directories and articles on library services to support distance education programs are included."
- Diversity in U.S. Medical Schools: Revitalizing Efforts to Increase Diversity in a Changing Context, 1960s-2000s 2009Executive summary -- Preface -- ch. 1. Changing opportunities and challenges for medical schools: from desegregation to affirmative action to promoting diversity in an anti-affirmative action environment -- ch. 2. Increasing access to U.S. medical schools for diverse populations: demographic, education, and medical school trends, 1960s-2000s, graduate medical education, and the U.S. physican workforce -- ch. 3. The Changing federal context -- ch. 4. California's people: demographic transformation, educational trends, and challenges for medical school and physician diversity -- ch. 5. California's changing policy context -- ch. 6. The University of California: the changing policy context of a public university -- ch. 7. Stanford University: the changing policy context of a private university -- ch. 8. Case studies of diversity: UCSF and Stanford medical schools -- ch. 9. Recommendations: opportunities for action to increase diversity -- Appendix 1. Archival research -- Appendix 2. Key informant interviews -- Appendix 3. Oral history interviews -- Appendix 4. Selected key reports related to diversity in medical schools and the health professions and the physician workforce.
- Educating physicians. 1st ed. 2010, ebraryBased on a study of physician education by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Calls for a major overhaul of the present approach to preparing doctors for their careers. The text addresses issues for the future of the field and takes a comprehensive look at the most pressing concerns in physician education today.-- excerpted from publisher notes.
- Evidence-based educational methods 2004, ScienceDirect1. Introduction to evidence-based educational methods. The need for evidence-based educational methods / Daniel J. Moran ; Reviewing the outcomes and principles of effective instruction / Laura D. Fredrick and John H. Hummel ; A real science and technology of education / R. Douglas Greer and Dolleen-Day Keohane -- 2. Precision teaching. Precision teaching : foundations and classroom applications / Charles Merbitz ... [et al.] ; Precision teaching : applications in education and beyond / Charles Merbitz ... [et al.] -- 3. Direct instruction. Direct instruction : the big ideas / Timothy A. Slocum ; Teacher-made scripted lessons / John H. Hummel, Martha L. Venn, and Philip L. Gunter ; The competent learner model : a merging of applied behavior analysis, direct instruction, and precision teaching / Vicci Tucci, Daniel E. Hursh, and Richard E. Laitinen -- 4. Computers and teaching machines. Effective use of computers in instruction / Marcie N. Desrochers and G. David Gentry ; Adaptive computerized educational systems : a case study / Roger D. Ray ; Selected for success : how Headsprout Reading Basics teaches beginning reading / T.V. Joe Layng, Janet S. Twyman, and Greg Stikeleather -- 5. Personalized System of Instruction. The Personalized System of Instruction : a flexible and effective approach to mastery learning / Eric J. Fox ; Making the most of PSI with computer technology / Joseph J. Pear, Toby L. Martin -- 6. Significant developments in evidence-based education. The Morningside Model of Generative Instruction : an integration of research-based practices / Kent Johnson and Elizabeth M. Street ; Learning efficiency goes to college / Guy S. Bruce ; Teaching the generic skills of language and cognition : contributions from Relational Frame Theory / Yvonne Barnes-Holmes, Dermot Barnes-Holmes, and Carol Murphy ; Key instructional components of effective peer tutoring for tutors, tutees, and peer observers / R. Douglas Greer ... [et al.] ; Training professionals using sequential behavior analysis / Tom Sharpe, Daniel Balderson, and Hosung So ; Grammar and writing skills : applying behavioral analysis / Marilyn B. Gilbert.
- Handbook of diversity in parent education 2001, ScienceDirectAmerican families in the 1990s and beyond / Dennis H. Karpowitz -- Gender issues in parenting : parenting teenage girls / Lauren Ayers -- Teaching about sexual diversity : a new frontier for parenthood educators / Donna Swall and Forrest Swall -- Parenting and ethnicity / Diane McDermott -- Parenting in the global community : a cross-cultural international perspective / John Bennett and Liam K. Grimley -- A psychoeducational program for parents of dysfunctional backgrounds / Marvin J. Fine and Katherine F. Wardle -- Supportive family training : education and support for the parents of persons with serious mental illness / Sheila Le Gacy -- Parent education for fathers / Stephen T. Sirridge -- Grandparents raising grandchildren / Oliver W. Edwards -- Parenting emotionally disturbed children / Eric M. Vernberg and Anabella Pavon -- Parenting children with learning disabilities / Paula E. Lancaster -- Parenting children with brain injury / William J. Warzak and Cynthia M. Anderson -- Parenting chronically ill children / Steven W. Lee and Thomas P. Guck -- Education programs for parents and families of children and youth with developmental disabilities / Earle Knowlton and Douglas Mulanax -- Educating parents to be advocates for their children / Michelle L. Moriarty and Marvin J. Fine -- Managing crisis : intervention skills for parents / K.C. Lazzara and Scott Poland.
- Handbook of research on student engagement 2012, Springerpt. 1. What is student engagement? -- pt. 2. Engagement as linked to motivational variables -- pt. 3. Engagement and contextual influences -- pt. 4. Student engagement : determinants and student outcomes -- pt. 5. Measurement issues, instruments, and approaches.
- Identifying, assessing, and treating ADHD at school 2009, SpringerCauses -- Prevalence and associated conditions -- Case finding and screening -- Diagnostic assessment -- Psycho-educational assessment -- Treatment.
- Identifying, assessing, and treating dyslexia at school 2009, Springer"As many as one in four children experiences problems with reading. Dyslexia, the most common learning disability leads to well-documented negative effects on school and, ultimately, adult success. Therefore, it is critical that school professionals provide early and effective assessment and intervention. This volume equips practitioners with in-depth understanding of the disorder and a wealth of practical information for meeting student needs." "As the duties of school psychologists and related education professionals become more complex, recognizing and providing services for students with learning disorders has become progressively more demanding. Identifying, Assessing, and Treating Dyslexia at School offers practitioners an accessible and easy-to-read reference that they will use for years to come."--BOOK JACKET.
- Part 1. General Introduction -- Part I. The Psychology of Religion and Spirituality: Implications for Education and Wellbeing - An Introduction -- Part II. The Role of Spirituality in Human Development and Identity: An Introduction -- Part III. The Spiritual Dimension in Educational Programs and Environments to Promote Holistic Learning and Wellbeing: An Introduction.
- Medical education for the future 2011, Springer
- Medizin im Ausland 2005, Springer
- Pearls for leaders in academic medicine 2008, Springer
- Preparing for the revolution 2002, NAP
- Presenting at medical meetings 2010, Springer
- Questioning the premedical paradigm 2010, ebrary"One hundred years ago, Abraham Flexner's report on Medical Education in the United States and Canada helped establish the modern paradigm of premedical and medical education. Barr's research finds the system of premedical education that evolved to be a poor predictor of subsequent clinical competency and professional excellence, while simultaneously discouraging many students from under represented minority groups or economically disadvantaged backgrounds from pursuing a career as a physician. Analyzing more than fifty years of research, Barr shows that many of the best prospects are not being admitted to medical schools with long-term adverse consequences for the U.S. medical profession."--BOOK JACKET.
- Radiology education 2012, SpringerPart 1.Evaluation and Assessment for Non-educators --The Nature of Professional Expertise /Penelope Engel-Hills and Rethy K. Chhem --Fundamentals of Assessment and Evaluation: Clarifying Terminology /Kathryn M. Hibbert, Teresa Van Deven and Soveacha Ros --Competence in the Professions: Expanding Opportunities and Emerging Practices /Kathryn M. Hibbert and Rethy K. Chhem --Medical Competency in Postgraduate Medical Training Programs /Thomas N. B. Pascual, Soveacha Ros, Penelope Engel-Hills and Rethy K. Chhem --Part 2.Evaluation and assessment in Radiology education --Philosophical Considerations in Educational Assessment /Richard B. Gunderman --Competencies and Experiential Requirements in Radiology Training /Shih-chang Wang --Accreditation and Evaluation of Programs: The Canadian Perspective /Kenneth A. Harris, Margaret A. Kennedy and Sarah Taber --Assessment and Evaluation in a Transnational Radiodiagnosis Training Program /Shih-chang Wang.Part 3.Case Studies: Theory into practice --Strategies and Actions to Improve Risk Communication Competency in Radiation Medicine /Lawrence S. Lau, Kwan-Hoong Ng and Rethy K. Chhem --Assessing Clinical Competence in Radiation Oncology Education /Eduardo Rosenblatt, Bruce G. Haffty and Jan Willem Leer --Measuring Competence of Radiology Education Programs and Residents: The Egyptian Experience /Sahar N. Saleem and Youssriah Y. Sabri --Assessing Residents in a Nuclear Medicine Physician Training Program: The Philippine Experience /Thomas N. B. Pascual, Jerry M. Obaldo, Teofilo O. L. San Luis and Marcela J. Leus --Clinical Training in Medical Physics: IAEA Perspective /Ahmed Meghzifene, Donald Mclean, Debbie Van Der Merwe and Brian Thomas --Assessing Diagnostic Radiology Training: The Singapore Journey /Bien-Soo Tan, Lynette L. S. Teo, Daniel E. S. Wong, Shaun X. J. M. Chan and Kiang-Hiong Tay --Assessment of Radiation Oncology Medical Physics Residents: The London, Ontario (Canada) Experience /Jacob Van Dyk and Jerry J. Battista.
- "Comprehensive research and a highly trained workforce are essential for the improvement of health and health care both nationally and internationally. Over the past 40 years the National Research Services Award (NRSA) Program has played a large role in training the workforce responsible for dramatic advances in the understanding of various diseases and new insights that have led to more effective and targeted therapies. In spite of this program, the difficulty obtaining jobs after the postdoc period has discouraged many domestic students from pursuing graduate postdoc training. In the United States, more than 50 percent of the postdoc workforce is made up of individuals who obtained their Ph. D.s from other countries. Indeed, one can make a strong argument that the influx of highly trained and creative foreigners has contributed greatly to U.S. science over the past 70 years. Research Training in the Biomedical, Behavioral, and Clinical Research Sciences discusses a number of important issues, including: the job prospects for postdocs completing their training; questions about the continued supply of international postdocs in an increasingly competitive world; the need for equal, excellent training for all graduate students who receive NIH funding; and the need to increase the diversity of trainees. The book recommends improvements in minority recruiting, more rigorous and extensive training in the responsible conduct of research and ethics, increased emphasis on career development, more attention to outcomes, and the requirement for incorporating more quantitative thinking in the biomedical curriculum."--Publisher's description.
- Researching, teaching, and learning triangle 2012, Springer
- Scientific Foundations for Future Physicians 2009, AAMCPresents a new framework for preparing students with the scientific know-how optimal for studying medicine and becoming physicians.
- Specialty and geographic distribution of the physician workforce-- What influences medical student and resident choices? 20091. What We Know About Factors Affecting Medical Student & Resident Career Decisions -- 2. Study Aims, Questions, Methods, Limitations -- 3. Outcomes of Current Physician Training -- 4. Debt -- 5. Title VII Effect, Personal Interests, and Experiences in Medical School -- 6. Return on Investment -- 7. Conclusions and Recommendations -- Appendices.
- The article is a summary of a study that was "part of a larger program of research by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching on preparation for the professions"--Website.
- Surgical mentoring 2010, Springer
- Tough talk An online toolbox of teaching resources for medical educators teaching ethics and communication.
- Translating discoveries 2003, Stanf Univ SOM
- Understanding medical education. 1st ed. 2010, ebraryLane Catalog record ebraryPrint MaterialUnderstanding Medical Education originated as a series of monographs in September 2006, the brainchild of Association of Medical Education's then Chief Executive, Frank Smith. The series was designed to meet the needs of all newcomers to medical education. Contributors have included experts from all walks of medical education from across the world. These monographs which have now been collected into a single core textbook, provide a comprehensive guide to the theoretical and academic bases to modern medical education practice--from notes provided by publisher.
- Universities and science in the early modern period 2006, Springer"Mathematics for astronomy" at universities in Copernicus' time /Grazina Rosińska --The University of Salamanca and the renaissance of astronomy during the second half of the 15th century /José Chabás --Medical science and medical teachings at the University of Salamanca in the 15th century /Luis García Ballester --The faculty of medicine of Valencia /José M. López Piñero --The cultivation of astronomy in Spanish universities in the latter half of the 16th century /Victor Navarro-Brotons --The Sphere of Jacques du Chevreul: astronomy at the University of Paris in the 1620s /Roger Ariew --Lectures and practices: the variety of mathematical and mechanical teaching at the University of Uppsala in the 17th century /Maija Kallinen --Mathematical research in Italian universities in the modern era /Maria Teresa Borgato --Universities, academies, and sciences in the modern age /Luigi Pepe --Natural philosophy and mathematics in Portuguese universities, 1550-1650 /Luís Miguel Carolino & Henrique Leitão --Venetian policy toward the University of Padua and scientific progress during the 18th century /Piero del Negro --Candide in Caledonia: the culture of science in the Scottish universities, 1690-1805 /Paul Wood --The sciences at the University of Rome in the 18th century /Ugo Baldini --Enlightenment and renovation in the Spanish university /José Luis Peset --Spanish chemistry textbooks during late 18th century /Antonio García Belmar and José Ramón Bertomeu Sánchez --Botany in University studies in the late 18th century : the case of Valencia University /Cristina Sendra-Mocholí --Scientific education and the crisis of the university in 18th century Barcelona /Agustí Nieto-Galan & Antoni Roca-Rosell --The theories of Copernicus and Newton in the Viceroyship of Nueva Granada and the Audiencia de Caracas during the 18th century /Luis Carlos Arboleda Aparicio & Diana Soto Arango.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
Shortcut for iPhone
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
Can't find it?
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases