Books by Subject
- Atlas of diabetes. 4th ed. 2012SpringerRegulation of Insulin Secretion and Islet Cell Function / Gordon C. Weir, Susan Bonner-Weir and Arun Sharma -- Mechanisms of Insulin Action / Morris F. White and Morris F. White -- Consequences of Insulin Deficiency / Abbas E. Kitabchi and Mary Beth Murphy -- Type 1 Diabetes / Mark A. Atkinson and Jay S. Skyler -- Management of Type 1 Diabetes / Irl B. Hirsch and Jay S. Skyler -- Childhood Diabetes / Jamie R. Wood and Francine R. Kaufman -- Pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes / Mazen Alsahli and John E. Gerich -- Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus / Jennifer B. Marks -- Diabetes and Pregnancy / Lois Jovanovič -- Mechanisms of Hyperglycemic Damage in Diabetes / Ferdinando Giacco and Michael Brownlee -- Management and Prevention of Diabetic Complications / Sunder Mudaliar and Robert R. Henry -- Eye Complications of Diabetes / Lloyd Paul Aiello, Lloyd Paul Aiello, Lloyd Paul Aiello, Lloyd Paul Aiello and Paolo S. Silva, et al. -- Diabetes and the Kidney / Robert C. Stanton and Robert C. Stanton -- Diabetic Neuropathies / Aaron I. Vinik -- Obesity Therapy / Steven R. Smith -- Reversal of Diabetes: Islet Cell Transplantation / Antonello Pileggi, Rodolfo Alejandro and Camillo Ricordi -- Technology and Diabetes: Insulin Delivery Systems and Glucose Sensing / Bruce W. Bode -- Newer Diabetes Medications / Jay S. Skyler.
- Hyperglycemia and the pathobiology of diabetic complications / Aronson, D. -- Endothelial dysfunction in normal and abnormal glucose metabolism / Esper, R.J. ... [et al.] -- Biomarkers in cardiovascular diabetology: interleukins and matrixins / Fisman, E.Z. ; Adler, Y.; Tenenbaum, A. -- Arterial elasticity in cardiovascular disease: focus on hypertension, metabolic syndrome and diabetes / Cernes, R.; Zimlichman, R.; Shargorodsky, M. -- Hypertension and diabetes / Grossman, E.; Messerli, F.H. -- Impaired glucose metabolism and cerebrovascular diseases / Tanne, D. -- Impact of metabolic syndrome in patients with acute coronary syndrome / Feinberg, M.S.; Schwartz, R.; Behar, S. -- Optimal management of combined dyslipidemia: what have we behind statins monotherapy? / Tenenbaum, A. ... [et al.] -- Non-insulin antidiabetic therapy in cardiac patients: current problems and future prospects / Fisman, E.Z.; Motro, M.; Tenenbaum, A.
- Churchill's Pocketbook of diabetes. 2nd ed. 2012ClinicalKeyDiagnosis, classification, epidemiology and biochemistry -- Initial management and education -- Management of diabetes -- Acute metabolic complications -- Chronic complications -- Special topics.
- Clinical strategies in the management of diabetic retinopathy a step-by-step guide for ophthalmologists 2014SpringerDiabetic retinopathy (DR) and its dramatic and sight-threatening complications, such as diabetic macular edema, remain a leading cause of visual impairment among the working-age population. With the advent of effective treatments, a new era in the management of DR has been opened up: it is now possible for patients to regain a degree of visual acuity not previously expected. However, amid the deluge of approved treatments and promising new strategies, clinicians may find it difficult to choose the appropriate practice in each individual case. The purpose of this easy-to-use and richly illustrated manual is to assist ophthalmologists in making decisions in the entire management of DR based on the best available evidence. Practical and complete recommendations are provided to guide clinicians in diagnosis, decision-making, and treatment. The manual includes practical algorithms and case histories relating to all stages of DR that clearly explain the progression of the disease and will help the clinician to choose the best therapeutic approach. It will be an ideal resource for ophthalmologists aiming to provide optimal clinical management for this sight-threatening disease.
- Controversies in obesity 2014SpringerObesity is a relatively new and controversial field of medicine. Some of the controversies surrounding obesity can be dismissed as myths, others reveal the lack of consensus and comprehensive knowledge which exist in obesity and its complex relationship with diabetes and other serious long-term conditions. Controversies in Obesity takes the unique approach of assessing the controversies surrounding obesity, thus seeking to debunk the myths and highlight and explore the genuine science, whilst demonstrating areas where there is healthy debate. This book will appeal to primary care physicians, trainees and specialist nurses involved in care of the obese patient, and would be of interest to anyone who wishes to gain a better understanding of the complex nature of obesity and its management.
- Pancreatic development as a basis for the definition of new therapies for diabetes / Scharfmann, R. -- Overview of neonatal diabetes / Hamilton-Shield, J.P. -- Transcription factors in pancreatic development. Animal models / Martin, M. ... [et al.] -- Distinct roles of HNF1[beta], HNF1[alpha], and HNF4[alpha] in regulating pancreas development, [beta]-cell function, and growth / Maestro, M.A. ... [et al.] -- In vivo and in vitro techniques to study pancreas development and islet cell function / Duvillié, B., Heinis, M., Stetsyuk, V. -- Functional imaging of the pancreas: the role of [18F]Fluoro-L-DOPA PET in the diagnosis of hyperinsulinism of infancy / Ribeiro, M.J. ... [et al.] -- Insulin pump therapy in neonatal diabetes / Tubiana-Rufi, N. -- Generating new candidate genes for neonatal diabetes: functional and genetic studies of insulin secretion in type 2 diabetes / Rutter, G.A. -- Diabetes in very young children and mutations in the insulin-secreting cell potassium channel genes: therapeutic consequences / Flechtner, I. ... [et al.] -- Genomic imprinting: roles and regulation in development / Kelsey, G. -- Imprinting in human disease with special reference to transient neonatal diabetes and Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome / Temple, I.K. -- The physiology and clinical management of glucose metabolism in the newborn / Beardsall, K., Dunger, D.
- Diabetes & c-peptide scientific and clinical aspects 2012Springer1. C-Peptide and Insulin: A Happy Marriage / Donald F. Steiner -- 2. Peptide Interactions of Proinsulin C-Peptide / Charlotte Nerelius, Emma Lindahl, Michael Landreh, and Hans Jörnvall -- 3. The Effect of Combined C-Peptide and Zinc on Cellular Function / Dana M. Spence -- 4. C-Peptide Signaling in the Kidney and Protection from Diabetic Nephropathy / Nigel J. Brunskill -- 5. Role of C-Peptide in the Regulation of Microvascular Blood Flow / Thomas Forst, Matthias M. Weber, Thomas Kunt, and Andreas Pfützner -- 6. Is NO-eNOS a Target for C-Peptide Action and Its Protective Effects on Diabetic Nephropathy? / Kazuhiro Kimura and Akihiro Kamikawa -- 7. Renoprotective Effects of C-Peptide on Type 1 Diabetes / Lina Nordquist, Åsa Kallas, Sara Stridh, Fredrik Palm, and John Wahren -- 8. The Mechanisms Underlying the Effects of C-Peptideon Type 1 Diabetic Neuropathy / Hideki Kamiya, Wei-Xian Zhang, and Anders A.F. Sima -- 9. C-Peptide and Type 1 Diabetic Encephalopathy / Anders A.F. Sima and Wei-Xian Zhang -- 10. C-Peptide: A New Moleculewith Anti-Inflammatory Properties / Jaime Haidet, Vincenza Cifarelli, Xuehui Geng, Massimo Trucco, and Patrizia Luppi -- 11. C-Peptide: Connecting Diabetes with Macrovascular Complications / Karen E. Porter and Romana S. Mughal -- 12. C-Peptide and Diabetic Neuropathy in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes / Karin Ekberg and John Wahren -- 13. Proatherogenic Effects of C-Peptide / Daniel Walcher and Nikolaus Marx -- 14. Conclusions and Future Outlook / Anders A.F. Sima.
- Diabetes an old disease, a new insight 2012Springer
- Diabetes and cardiovascular disease. 2nd ed. 2005Springer1. Effects of insulin on the vascular system / Helmut O. Steinberg -- 2. Effects of diabetes and insulin resistance on endothelial functions / Zhiheng He, Keiko Naruse, and George L. King -- 3. Diabetes and advanced glycoxidation end-products / Melpomeni Peppa, Jaime Uribarri, and Helen Vlassara -- 4. The renin-angiotensin system in diabetic cardiovascular complications / Edward P. Feener -- 5. PPARs and their emerging role in vascular biology, inflammation, and atherosclerosis / Jorge Plutzky -- 6. Diabetes and thrombosis / David J. Schneider and Burton E. sobel -- 7. Role of estrogens in vascular disease in diabetes: lessons learned from the polycystic ovary syndrome / Agathocles Tsatsoulis and Panayiotic Economides -- 8. Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activation and nitrosative stress in the development of cardiovascular disease in diabetes / Pál Pacher and Csaba Szabó -- 9. Adiponectin and the cardiovascular system / Suketu Shah, Alina Gavrila, and Christos S. Mantzoros -- 10. Nitric oxide and its role in diabetes mellitus / Michael T. Johnstone and Eli Gelfand -- 11. Diabetes and atherosclerosis / Maria F. Lopes-Virella and Gabriel Virella -- 12. The use of animal models to study diabetes and atherosclerosis and potential anti-atherosclerotic therapies / Peter D. Reaven and Wulf Palinski -- 13. The metabolic syndrome and vascular disease / S.J. Creely, Aresh J. Anwar, and Sudhesh Kumar -- 14. Diabetes and hypertension / Samy I. McFarlane ... [et al.] -- 15. Diabetes and dyslipidemia / Asha Thomas-Geevarghese, Catherine Tuck, and Henry N. Ginsberg -- 16. Diabetic retinopathy / Lloyd Paul Aiello and Jerry Cavallerano -- 17. Diabetic nephropathy / Richard J. Solomon and Bijan Roshan -- 18. Diabetic neuropathy / Rayaz A. Malik and Aristidis Veves -- 19. Microcirculation of the diabetic foot / Chantel Hile and Aristidis Veves -- 20. Epidemiology of peripheral vascular disease / Stephanie G. Wheeler, Nicholas L. Smith, and Edward J. Boyko -- 21. Noninvasive methods in assess vascular function and pathophysiology / Peter G. Danias and Rola Saouaf -- 22. Peripheral vascular disease in patients with diabetes mellitus / Bernadette Aulivola, Allen D. Hamdan, and Frank W. LoGerfo -- 23. Therapeutic interventions to improve endothelial function in diabetes / Lalita Khaodhiar and Aristidis Veves -- 24. Preoperative assessment and perioperative management of the surgical patient with diabetes mellitus / Alanna Coolong and Mylan C. Cohen -- 25. Diabetes and percutaneous interventional therapy / David P. Oorenz, Joseph P. Carrozza, and Lawrence Garcia -- 26. Cardiac surgery and diabetes mellitus / Tanveer A. Khan, Pierre Voisine, and Frank W. Sellke -- 27. Heart failure and cardiac dysfunction in diabetes / Lawrence H. Young, Raymond R. Russell, III, and Deborah Chyun -- 28. Diabetes mellitus and heart disease / Michael T. Johnstone and George P. Kinzfogl.
- Diabetes and exercise 2009Springer
- Diabetes and hypertension evaluation and management 2012SpringerDiabetes and hypertension have evolved as two of the modern day epidemics affecting millions of people around the world. These two common co-morbidities lead to substantial increase in cardiovascular disease, the major cause of morbidity and mortality of adults around the world. In Diabetes and Hypertension: Evaluation and Management, a panel of renowned experts address a range of critical topics -- from basic concepts in evaluation and management of diabetes and hypertension, such as dietary interventions, to evaluation and management of secondary hypertension in clinical practice. Other chapters focus on high cardiovascular risk populations such as those with coronary heart disease, chronic kidney disease and minority patients. In addition, evolving concepts and new developments in the field are presented in other chapters, such as prevention of type 2 diabetes and the epidemic of sleep apnea and its implication for diabetes and hypertension evaluation and management. An important title covering two of the most troubling disorders of our time, Diabetes and Hypertension: Evaluation and Management will provide the busy practitioner with cutting edge knowledge in the field as well as practical information that can translate into better care provided to the high-risk population of diabetics and hypertensive patients.
- Diabetes and kidney disease 2014Springer"Diabetes and Kidney Disease reviews the most up-to-date research on diabetic nephropathy, the current understanding of its pathophysiology, renal structural alterations and clinical features, and summarizes recent evidence-based clinical treatment modalities for the prevention and management of diabetic kidney disease. General clinical aspects are covered, as well as an overview to the novel approaches being designed by leading researchers in the field. A convenient compendium for physicians involved in the care of diabetic patients with varying degrees of kidney involvement, Diabetes and Kidney Disease is also a handy resource for medical residents and students interested in the current status and future approaches to reducing the burden of diabetes and diabetic kidney disease."--Publisher's website.
- In Diabetes and Peripheral Vascular Disease, a panel of distinguished leaders in the field of medicine, podiatry, and vascular and endovascular therapy assimilate the latest literature on these issues and others for an in-depth review of the management of peripheral vascular disease. Providing an overview of the management of diabetes and diabetic foot changes as well as providing a view of cutting-edge and emerging topics in optimization of arterial status, this important title addresses pathophysiology, anatomy, diagnosis and management of diabetic peripheral vascular disease, emphasizing a multi-disciplinary approach. The first chapter of the book provides an overview of this complex disease process and discusses the teamwork required for optimal management. The chapters continue with the basic pathophysiology of diabetic atherosclerosis and a contemporary review of the management of diabetes. The genesis of diabetic foot ulceration and prevention and management strategies is covered, as is the effects of neuropathy and microvascular changes in the diabetic foot. In addition, Diabetes and Peripheral Vascular Disease covers the microbiology of diabetic foot infections, the role of endovascular interventions and vascular surgery as well as the management of the complications of these procedures, the process of amputation for those patients who have progressed beyond a limb salvage situation, and the effects of diabetes on the cerebrovascular system as well as its implications in patients with aortoiliac disease. An invaluable addition to the literature on diabetes and peripheral vascular disease, the book will be of great interest internists, family practitioners, surgeons, podiatrists, wound care specialists, and vascular specialists. Students, residents, and fellows in surgical and medical specialties should also find this book of significant value and interest.
- Diabetes and physical activity 2014KargerThe relationship between exercise, nutrition, and type 2 diabetes / Stephenson, E.J., Smiles, W., Hawley, J.A. -- Sedentary behavior as a mediator of type 2 diabetes / Hamilton, M.T., Hamilton, D.G., Zderic, T.W. -- Increasing prevalence of type 2 diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa : not only a case of inadequate physical activity / Ojuka, E., Goyaram, V. -- Exercise interventions to prevent and manage type 2 diabetes : physiological mechanisms / Dela, F., Prats, C., Helge, J.W. -- Relationships between exercise, mitochondrial biogenesis, and type 2 diabetes / Joseph, A.-M., Hood, D.A. -- Interaction between lipid availability, endurance exercise, and insulin sensitivity / Newsom, S.A., Schenk, S. -- Mechanisms in exercise-induced increase in glucose disposal in skeletal muscle / Ojuka, E., Goyaram, V. -- The effect of exercise on obesity, body fat distribution and risk for type 2 diabetes / Goedecke, J.H., Micklesfield, L.K. -- Gene-physical activity interactions and their impact on diabetes / Kilpelinen, T.O., Franks, P.W. -- Physical activity and gestational diabetes mellitus / van Poppel, M.N.M., Ruchat, S.-M., Mottola, M.F. -- Physical activity in children : prevention of obesity and type 2 diabetes / Rush, E., Simmons, D. -- Diabetes and exercise in the elderly / Ferriolli, E., Pinheiro Amador S., Pessanha, F., Lemos S. Marchesi, J.C. -- Public health recommendations for physical activity in the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus / Lambert, E.V., Bull, F. -- Exercise for people with type 1 diabetes / Gallen, I.W.
- Diabetes and the brain 2009Springer
- Diabetes and the kidney 2011Karger
- Diabetes and the nervous system 2014ScienceDirectThis is a unique compilation, by experts worldwide, addressing how diabetes impacts the nervous system. For example, diabetic polyneuropathy, a disorder more common than MS, Parkinson's disease, and ALS combined, is a major source of disability to diabetic persons worldwide. This book addresses diabetic polyneuropathy and how diabetes alters other parts of the nervous system.
- Diabetes and viruses 2013SpringerDiabetes, in all of its forms, now constitutes a growing health concern, affecting all segments of the world's population. There is great interest in the factors which influence its etiology and progression. Among these, a number of viruses feature prominently. Hindered by technological limitations, research into this relationship has hitherto been scarce. Recent advances, however, have opened up the field and there is a burgeoning body of literature on the subject. Unfortunately, this literature has been diffuse and often difficult to access.For the first time, this book compiles the views of many of the world's experts in the field. It addresses questions, ranging from how viruses may destroy or modify the function of pancreatic islets; to which viruses are the most likely culprits; to whether vaccines or etiologic therapies might be used to prevent virus-induced diabetes. Diabetes and Viruses is the first comprehensive volume on an important and expanding field of research that is of interest to clinicians, healthcare managers, epidemiologists, veterinarians, and basic scientists.
- The Epidemiology of Diabetes in Older People -- Type 2 Diabetes and Dementia -- Depression in Older People with Diabetes -- Hypoglycaemia and the Older Person -- Cardiovascular Risk, Glucose and Targets for Management of Diabetes in Older People -- Diabetes and Frailty -- Perceptions of Users and Carers in Supporting Diabetes Care: Practical Guidance, Support and Information for Carers -- Management of Elderly People with Diabetes in Primary Care.
- Definition and epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus -- Insulin resistance : pathophysiology, molecular mechanisms, genetic insights -- Type 1 diabetes : pathophysiology, molecular mechanisms, genetic insights -- The metabolic syndrome : prevalence and controversies in clinical context -- Lifestyle interventions for the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus -- Pharmacologic and surgical interventions that prevent or worsen type 2 diabetes -- Epidemiology of coronary and peripheral atherosclerosis in diabetes -- Pathology of diabetic atherosclerosis : composition, characteristics, and distribution -- Vascular biology of atherosclerosis in patients with diabetes : hyperglycemia, insulin resistance, and hyperinsulinemia -- Vascular biology of atherosclerosis in patients with diabetes : dyslipidemia, hypercoagulability, endothelial dysfunction, and inflammation -- Type 1 diabetes and associated cardiovascular risk and disease -- Effect of lifestyle interventions on coronary heart disease risk in patients with diabetes -- Effect of glucose management on coronary heart disease risk in patients with diabetes -- Effect of blood pressure management on coronary heart disease risk in patients with type 2 diabetes -- Effect of lipid management on coronary heart disease risk in patients with diabetes -- Effect of antiplatelet therapy on coronary heart disease risk in patients with diabetes mellitus -- Role of percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with diabetes -- Role of coronary artery bypass surgery in diabetes and perioperative glucose management -- Epidemiology of acute coronary syndromes in patients with diabetes -- Hyperglycemia and acute coronary syndromes : association with outcomes and management -- Antiplatelet and antithrombotic therapy in diabetic patients with acute coronary syndrome -- Role of primary invasive strategy and revascularization in diabetic patients with acute coronary syndromes -- Epidemiology of heart failure in diabetes -- Diabetic cardiomyopathy : mediators and mechanisms -- Prevention of heart failure in patients with diabetes -- Treatment of heart failure in diabetes : systolic dysfunction, diastolic dysfunction, and post-acute coronary syndrome -- Peripheral artery disease in diabetes -- Cerebrovascular disease in patients with diabetes -- Cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy -- Disparities in diabetes risk, cardiovascular consequences, and care : women, ethnic minorities, and the elderly -- The quality chasm : diabetes mellitus.
- Diabetes in childhood and adolescence 2005KargerEtiopathogenetic aspects of type 1 diabetes / Knip, M. -- Susceptibility to type 1 diabetes: genes and mechanisms / Contu, D., Cucca, F. -- Autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes mellitus / Achenbach, P., Ziegler, A.G. -- Neonatal diabetes mellitus / Polak, M., Shield, J. -- Diagnosis and management of MODY in a pediatric setting / Njolstad, P.R., Sovik, O. -- Diabetic ketoacidosis / Brink, S.R. -- Insulin treatment / Kapellen, T.M. -- Medical nutrition therapy of children and adolescents with diabetes / Virtanen, S.M. -- Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in childhood and adolescence / Phillip, M., Weintrob, N., Shalitin, S. -- Quality management in pediatric diabetology / Holl, R.W. ... [et al.] -- Sports and physical activity in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus / Raile, K. ... [et al.] -- Invasive and noninvasive means of diabetes self-management / Deiss, D., Hartmann, R., Kordonouri, O. -- Adolescence / Dunger, D.B., Acerini, C., Ahmed, M.L. -- Diabetic nephropathy in children and adolescents / Chiarelli, F., Santilli, F. -- Diabetic autonomic and peripheral neuropathy / Donaghue, K.C., Al-Jasser, A., Maguire, A. -- Macrovascular disease / Dahl-Jørgensen, K., Larsen, J.R. -- Hypoglycemia in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes / Blasetti, A. ... [et al.] -- Diabetic retinopathy in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes / Bittner, C., Kordonouri, O., Danne, T. -- Complications and consequences / Kapellen, T.M., Klemens, A.G., Kiess, R.W. -- Type 2 diabetes mellitus in childhood / Piscopo, M.A. ... [et al.] -- Beta-cell function replacement by islet transplantation and gene therapy / Falqui, L.L.
- Diabetes in clinical practice 2010Springer
- Diabetes in women 2009Springer
- Diabetes management in clinical practice 2014SpringerAt a time when clinicians are bombarded with masses of clinical information from numerous sources, and the wide variety of changes/advances in diabetes management, there is a need for a concise, easy-to-read book that provides an up-to-date review of the major advances in management of diabetes, with an evidence-based approach. This book is a collection of short chapters, each focused on a subject related to the management of diabetes and its complications. The chapters are written by acknowledged experts in the field, who are also clinicians dealing with diabetes on a day-to-day basis. The text is highly evidence based and well referenced with reviews of relevant trials. It includes the latest developments in diabetes management, prospects for future therapies and avenues of research, as well as therapies currently undergoing clinical trial. In order to facilitate ease of reading, it has a user-friendly appearance, with multiple headings, illustrations and summary boxes. The primary audience is clinical, including all healthcare professionals involved in the management of diabetes and its complications. This encompasses diabetologists and endocrinologists, family practitioners with an interest in diabetes, specialist nurses, dietitians and podiatrists.
- Introduction to diabetes -- Prediabetes -- Lifestyle interventions for patients with diabetes -- Polycystic ovary syndrome -- Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of microvascular complications: Part 1, diabetic neuropathy -- Prevention, diagnosis and treatment of microvascular complications: Part 2, diabetic nephropathy and diabetic retinopathy -- Exploring the association between diabetes and cardiovascular disease -- Associated disorders of interest to primary care -- Co-managing mental illness in patients with diabetes -- Diagnosis and management of T2DM -- Type 1 diabetes mellitus in adults -- Insulin initiation and intensification for patients with type 2 diabetes -- Insulin pumping and use of continuous glucose sensors in primary care -- Addressing cultural competency in diabetes care.
- Diabetes oxidative stress and dietary antioxidants 2014ScienceDirect
- Diabetes perspectives in drug therapy 2011SpringerTargeting type 2 diabetes -- Dual acting and pan-PPAR activators as potential anti-diabetic therapies -- GLP-1 agonists and dipeptidyl-peptidase IV inhibitors -- Cannabinoids and endocannabinoids in metabolic disorders with focus on diabetes -- SGLT inhibitors as new therapeutic tools in the treatment of diabetes -- Inhibitors of 11[beta]-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in antidiabetic therapy -- Nampt and its potential role in inflammation and type 2 diabetes -- Inhibition of ganglioside biosynthesis as a novel therapeutic approach in insulin resistance -- Overcoming insulin resistance with ciliary neurotrophic factor -- Thermogenesis and related metabolic targets in anti-diabetic therapy -- Interleukin-targeted therapy for metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes -- Fructose-1, 6-bisphosphatase inhibitors for reducing excessive endogenous glucose production in type 2 diabetes -- AMP-activated protein kinase and metabolic control -- Mitochondria as potential targets in antidiabetic therapy -- Research and development of glucokinase activators for diabetes therapy : theoretical and practical aspects.
- Diabetes from growth hormone excess / Neggers, S.J., van der Lely, A.J. -- Diabetes in growth hormone deficiency / Prodam, F., Zavattaro, M., Caputo, M., Marzullo, P., Aimaretti, G. -- Diabetes associated with glucocorticoid excess / Janssen, J.A.M.J.L., Lamberts, S.W. -- Diabetes in hyperaldosteronism / Crudo, V., Mulatero, P., Monticone, S., Veglio, F. -- Diabetes from catecholamine excess / Mannelli, M., Parenti, G., Zampetti, B., Canu, L., Mannucci, E. -- Diabetes and hyperthyroidism / Mitrou, P., Dimitriadis, G., Raptis, S.A. -- Diabetes secondary to neuroendocrine gastroenteropancreatic tumors / Minuto, F., Ferone, D., Boschetti, M., Albertelli, M., Gatto, F. -- Type 2 diabetes in polycystic ovary syndrome / Pasquali, R., Gambineri, A. -- Diabetes in hyperparathyroidism / Thomas, A., Kautzky-Willer, A. -- Posttransplant diabetes / Secchi, A., Scavini, M. -- Diabetes in pancreatitis, pancreatectomy, and other pancreatic diseases / Tiengo, A., Vigili de Kreutzenberg, S., Del Prato, S. -- Fibrocalculous pancreatic diabetes / Unnikrishnan, R., Mohan, V. -- Diabetes and hemochromatosis / Wood, M.J., Gonsalkorala, E.S., Powell, L.W. -- Secondary diabetes : clinical considerations / Ghigo, E., Guaraldi, F., Porta, M.
- Part I. Metabolic derangements in diabetic cardiomyopathy -- Part II. Cellular mechanisms of diabetic cardiomyopathy -- Part III. Therapeutic aspects of diabetic cardiomyopathy -- Index.
- Clinical features and diagnosis -- Principles of care in the diabetic surgical patient -- Epidemiology and health care cost of diabetic foot problems -- Diabetic polyneuropathy -- Clinical examination and risk classification of the diabetic foot -- Clinical features and diagnosis of peripheral arterial disease -- Imaging of infection in the diabetic foot -- Pathophysiology -- Physiology and pathophysiology of wound healing in diabetes -- Neuropeptides and diabetic wound-healing -- Induced regeneration of skin and peripheral nerves in the adult -- Microvascular changes in the diabetic foot -- Biomechanics of the diabetic foot: the road to foot ulceration -- Diabetic foot ulcers: effects of hypertoxia and stromal-derived factor-1[alpha] on endothelial progenitor cells -- Management of the diabetic foot -- Wound bed preparation of the diabetic foot ulcer -- Foot pressure abnormalities in the diabetic foot -- Proactive wound care -- Local care of diabetic foot ulcers: assessment, dressings, and topical treatments -- Surgical treatment of the ulcerated foot -- Microbiology and treatment of diabetic foot infections -- Lower extremity arterial reconstruction in patients with diabetes mellitus: principles of treatment -- Charcot arthropathy in the diabetic foot -- Soft tissue reconstruction options for the ulcerated or gangrenous diabetic foot -- Amputations and rehabilitation -- Organization and preventive care -- Organization of the diabetic foot care team -- Quality of health care -- Psychosocial and educational implications of diabetic foot complications -- Role of footwear in the prevention of diabetic foot problems.
- Diabetic kidney 2006SpringerAngiotensin II and its receptors in the pathogensis of diabetic nephropathy / David J. Leehey, Ashok K. Singh, and Rekha Singh -- Altered renal microvasculature function in early diabetes / Pamela K. Carmines, Joseph P. Bast, and Naohito Ishii -- Proteinuria and interstitial fibrogenesis in diabetic nephropathy / Raimund Hirschberg -- Podocytes and diabetic nephropathy / George Jerums, Sianna Panagiotopoulos, and Richard MacIsaac -- Altered glucose transport and its metabolic effects in glomerular cells / Charles W. Heilig -- mRNA translation in diabetic nephropathy / Balakuntalam S. Kasinath ... [et al.] -- The hexosamine biosynthesis pathway: contribution to the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy / I. George Fantus ... [et al.] -- Glycation: receptor for advanced glycation endproducts and diabetic nephropathy / Vivette D'Agati and Ann Marie Schmidt -- Oxidative and glycooxidative stress in diabetic nephropathy / Frederick R. DeRubertis and Patricia A. Craven -- Connective tissue growth factor in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy: a target for therapeutic intervention / Bruce L. Riser, Alessia Fornoni, and Sujatha Karoor -- Vascular endothelial growth factor as a determinant of diabetic nephropathy / Geoffrey Boner and Mark E. Cooper -- Transforming growth factor-[beta] signal transduction in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy: identifying molecular targets for therapeutic intervention / Sheldon Chen and Fuad N. Ziyadeh -- Hepatocyte growth factor: physiological and therapeutic ligand to attenuate diabetic nephropathy / Shinya Mizuno and Toshikazu Nakamura -- Proteomics in the investigation of diabetic nephropathy / Visith Thongboonkerd -- Gene expression profiling in the investigation of diabetic nephropathy / Katalin Susztak, Erwin Bottinger, and Kumar Sharma -- PPAR- ligands and diabetic nephropathy / Keiji Isshiki, Daisuke Koya, and Masakazu Haneda -- -Endosulfine in diabetic nephropathy / Jerry Yee and Balazs Szamosfalvi -- The prospect of a novel therapeutic, bone morphogenetic protein-7, in diabetic nephropathy / Keith A. Hruska ... [et al.] -- Genetic determinants of diabetic nephropathy in type 2 diabetes / Grzegorz Placha and Andrzej S. Krolewski -- Major risk indicators for diabetic kidney disease / Katherine R. Tuttle -- The structure of human diabetic nephropathy / Michael Mauer and Behzad Najafian -- Diabetic kidney disease in transitional and disadvantaged populations / E. Jennifer Weil and Robert G. Nelson -- Screening and treatment of early diabetic renal disease in type 1 and type 2 diabetes / Ellie Chuang and Mark E. Molitch -- Treatment in advanced renal disease in type 1 and type 2 diabetes / Eberhard Ritz and Gunter Wolf -- Diabetic and renal disease: ACE inhibitors and/or angiotensin receptor blockers: does it matter? / Carl Erik Mogensen and Niels Holmark Andersen -- Management of diabetic end-stage renal disease with dialysis / Ploumis S. Passadakis and Dimitrios G. Oreopoulos -- Diabetic retinopathy and nephropathy / Ronald Klein -- Hypertension and cardiovascular disease / Adam Whaley-Connell, Kurt Sowers, and James R. Sowers -- Endothelial dysfunction and diabetic nephropathy / Coen D.A. Stehouwer ... [et al.] -- Anemia and diabetic nephropathy / George Jerums ... [et al.].
- Diabetic neuropathy clinical management. 2nd ed. 2007SpringerHistorical aspects of diabetic neuropathies -- The epidemiology of diabetic neuropathy -- Genomics of diabetic neuropathy -- Transgenic and gene knockout analysis -- Hyperglycemia-initiated mechanisms in diabetic neuorpathy -- Effectors-sonic hedgehog and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase -- Neuronal and Schwann cell death in diabetic neuropathy -- Metabolic-functional-structural correlations in somatic neuropathies in the spontaneously type 1 and type 2 diabetic BB-rats -- Experimental diabetic autonomic neuropathy -- Spinal cord: structure and function in diabetes -- Diabetic encephalopathy -- Microangiopathy, diabetes -- Pathogenesis of human diabetic neuropathy -- Clinical features of diabetic polyneuropathy -- Micro- and macrovascular disease in diabetic neuropathy -- Clinical diagnosis of diabetic neuropathy -- Punch skin biopsy in diabetic neuropathy -- Aldose reductase inhibitors for the treatment of diabetic neuropathy -- Other therapeutic agents for the treatment of diabetic neuropathy -- Pathophysiology of neuropathic pain -- Treatment of painful diabetic neuropathy -- Focal and multifocal diabetic neuropathy -- Hypoglycemia and the autonomic nervous system -- Cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy -- Postural hypotension and anhidrosis -- Gastrointestinal syndromes due to diabetes mellitus -- Genitourinary complications -- Management of diabetic foot complications.
- Diabetic retinopathy 2008Springer1 Nonproliferative diabetic retinopathy -- 2 Proliferative diabetic retinopathy -- 3 The epidemiology of diabetic retinopathy -- 4 Diagnostic modalities in diabetic retinopathy -- 5 In vivo models of diabetic retinopathy -- 6 The polyol pathway and diabetic retinopathy -- 7 The role of advanced glycation in diabetic retinopathy -- 8 The role of protein kinase C in diabetic retinopathy -- 9 Oxidative stress in diabetic retinopathy -- 10 Pericyte loss in the diabetic retina -- 11 Capillary dropout in diabetic retinopathy -- 12 Neuroglial dysfunction in the pathophysiology of diabetic retinopathy -- 13 The role of inflammation in the pathophysiology of diabetic retinopathy -- 14 Vascular permeability in diabetic retinopathy -- 15 Retinal neovascularization and the role of VEGF -- 16 Beyond VEGF: other factors important in retinal neovascularization: potential targets in proliferative diabetic retinopathy -- 17 Anti-VEGF therapy as an emerging treatment for diabetic retinopathy -- 18 Clinical trials in protein kinase C-Beta inhibition in diabetic retinopathy -- 19 The role of intravitreal steroids in the management of diabetic retinopathy -- 20 Antagonism of the growth hormone axis as a therapeutic strategy for diabetic retinopathy -- 21 Diabetic retinopathy and systemic complications.
- Diabetic retinopathy evidence-based management 2010Springer
- Diabetology of pregnancy 2005KargerEpidemiology of pregestational and gestational diabetes / I. Pavliʹc-Renar, Z̆. Metelko -- Fuel-mediated 'functional teratogenesis' and primary prevention / A. Plagemann -- Endocrine changes in diabetic pregnancy / A. Kautzky-Willer, D. Bancher-Todesca -- Metabolic changes in diabetic pregnancy / E. Herrera -- Leptin in the diabetic pregnancy / S. Hauguet-De Mouzon, J. Lepercq, P. Catalano -- Maternal diabetes and embryonic development / R. De Hertogh -- Normal and abnormal fetal growth / I. Cetin, T. Radaelli -- Effect of nutrition on fetal development: a view on the pancreatic [beta]-cells / B. Blondeau, B. Breant -- The human placenta in diabetes / G. Desoye, P. Kaufmann -- Vasculogenesis and angiogenesis in the diabetic placenta / L. Leach, T.M. Mayhew -- Morphological findings in infants and placentas of diabetic mothers / M. Kos, M. Vogel -- Principles of evidence-based medicine: the lesson for diabetic pregnancy / T.R. Pieber -- The Graz approach to diabetes in pregnancy / P.A.M. Weiss, G. Desoye -- Clinical management of pregnancies complicated with type 1/type 2 diabetes mellitus / J. Djelmis̆ -- Nutritional management of diabetes in pregnancy / A. Dornhorst, G. Frost -- Diabetes-related antibodies and pregnancy / R. Corcoy, D. Mauricio, A. De Leiva -- Insulin and oral hypoglycemic agents in pregnancy / Z̆. Metelko, I. Pavliʹc-Renar -- Continuous glucose monitoring for the evaluation and improved treatment adjustment in gravid women with diabetic pregnancy / M. Hod, Y. Yogev -- Fetal hypoxia and its monitoring in pregestational diabetic pregnancies / K.A. Teramo, V.K. Hiilesmaa -- Ultrasonic surveillance of the diabetic fetus / M. Ivanis̆eviʹc -- Diabetic pregnancy: maternal metabolic and microvascular issues in type 1 diabetes mellitus / D.W.M. Pearson -- Pre-eclampsia in women with type 1 diabetes / E.R. Mathiesen and P. Damm -- Management of delivery / V.A. Miller, M.D.G. Gillmer -- Offspring of diabetic pregnancy / B. Persson, U.J. Eriksson, U. Hanson -- Long-term consequences of gestational diabetes mellitus / J. Lauenborg, E.R. Mathiesen, P. Damm.
- Doves, diplomats, and diabetes a Darwinian interpretation of Type 2 Diabetes and related disorders 2013Springer1. A Darwinian Way of Thinking -- 2. Diabetes in a Textbook -- 3. Diabetes in an Undergraduate Class -- 4. The Rise and Fall of Thrift -- 5. Of Hawks and Doves -- 6. Of Soldiers and Diplomats -- 7. The Physiology of Aggression -- 8. Deploying the Immunological Garrison -- 9. Why Population Density Matters -- 10. Time to Give Up Stress -- 11. Fat: Beyond Energy Storage -- 12. Why Blood Sugar Goes Up -- 13. Beating Around the "Wrong" Bush? -- 14. Behavioral Deficiencies and Behavioral Supplementation -- 15. Where Do We Go From Here?
- This Adis Pocket Reference presents an up-to-date, succinct, and practical approach to drug therapy for type 2 diabetes.
- Educating your patient with diabetes 2009Springer
- Embedding education into diabetes practice 2005Karger
- Endocrinology, and diabetes care in particular, is a dynamic field where clinicians must translate new evidence into clinical practice at a rapid pace. Designed in an engaging, case-based format, Endocrinology and Diabetes: A Problem Oriented Approach offers a wide range of thought-provoking case studies that reflect contemporary, challenging, hands-on clinical care. Further, by providing a list of specific clinical problems, this format offers the reader a more convenient and pointed way to solve precise clinical problems in a timely manner. Developed by a renowned, international group of experts, this comprehensive title covers the most common clinical problems in endocrinology and diabetes and should be of great interest to endocrinologists, diabetologists, internal medicine physicians, family physicians, fellows, and residents.
- That precursors of adult coronary artery disease, hypertension, and type II diabetes begin in childhood have been clearly established by the Bogalusa Heart Study. This unique research program has been able to follow a biracial (black/white) population over 35 years from childhood through mid-adulthood to provide perspectives on the natural history of adult heart diseases. Not only do these observations describe trajectories of cardio-metabolic risk variables leading to these diseases but provide a rationale for the need to begin prevention beginning in childhood. The trajectories of the burden of cardio-metabolic risk variables in the context of their fetal origin and chromosome telomere dynamics provide some insight into the metabolic imprinting in utero and aging process. The observed racial contrasts on cardio-metabolic risk variables implicate various biologic pathways interacting with environment contributing to the high morbidity and mortality from related diseases in our population. To address the seriousness of the onset of cardiovascular disease in youth, approaches to primordial prevention are described focussing on childhood health education as an important aspect of Preventive Cardiology.
- Clinical presentations and pathological correlates of retinopathy / T. Bek -- Retinal vascular permeability in health and disease / V. Poulaki -- In vivo models of diabetic retinopathy / L. Zheng, T.S. Kern -- Pericyte loss in the diabetic retina / F. Pfister, J. Lin, H.-P. Hammes -- Neuroglia in the diabetic retina / A. Bringmann, A. Reichenbach -- Regulatory and pathogenic roles of Müller glial cells in retinal neovascular processes and their potential for retinal regeneration / G.A. Limb, H. Jayaram -- Growth factors in the diabetic eye / R. Simó, C. Hernández -- Balance between pigment epithelium-derived factor and vascular endothelial growth factor in diabetic retinopathy / N. Ogata, J. Tombran-Tink -- The renin-angiotensin system in the eye / K. Strøder, T. Unger, U.M. Steckelings -- Interactions of leukocytes with the endothelium / T. Chavakis -- Stem and progenitor cells in the retina / N. Sengupta ... [et al.] -- Current approaches to retinopathy as a predictor of cardiovascular risk / N. Cheung, G. Liew, T.Y. Wong.
- Genetic landscape of diabetes 2004NCBI Bookshelf
- Gestational diabetes during and after pregnancy 2010SpringerHyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcome (HAPO) study: an overview -- Evolution of screening and diagnostic criteria for GDM worldwide -- An overview of problems and solutions in the diagnosis and treatment of gestational diabetes -- Prevalence of GDM -- Risk factors for gestational diabetes: from an epidemiological standpoint -- Burden of GDM in developing countries -- Insulin and the placenta in GDM -- What causes gestational diabetes? -- Mechanisms underlying insulin resistance in human pregnancy and gestational diabetes mellitus -- Inflammation, adipokines, and gestational diabetes mellitus -- Lipids in gestational diabetes: abnormalities and significance -- Blood pressure in GDM -- Genetics of gestational diabetes mellitus and type 2 diabetes -- Maternal obesity and epidemiological review of pregnancy complications -- Maternal comorbidities during gestational diabetes mellitus: obstetrical complications, prematurity, and delivery -- The diabetic intrauterine environment: short and long-term consequences -- Exercise recommendations in women with gestational diabetes mellitus -- Nutrition and weight recommendations for treating gestational diabetes mellitus -- Pharmacological treatment options for gestational diabetes -- Risk for maternal postpartum diabetes -- Contraception before and after GDM -- Lactation and diabetes among women with a history of GDM pregnancy -- Emerging science: interventions in women at risk of GDM during pregnancy -- Diabetes prevention interventions for women with a history of GDM -- Diabetes control programs and policy.
- Physiology of diabetes mellitus and types of insulin -- Subcutaneous insulin: a guide for dosing regimens in the hospital -- IV insulin infusions: how to use an "insulin drip" -- Laboratory testing in hospitalized patients with diabetes mellitus -- Inpatient diabetes education: realistic and evidence-based -- Hyperglycemic emergencies: diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state -- Medical nutrition therapy in the hospital -- Insulin pumps and glucose sensors in the hospital -- Non-insulin antidiabetic medications in the inpatient setting -- Hypoglycemia -- Transitioning to outpatient care -- Management of hyperglycemia associated with enteral and parenteral nutrition -- When to consult endocrinology -- Frequently asked questions.
- Handbook of diabetes management 2006Springer
- History of diabetes in pregnancy the impact of maternal diabetes on offspring prenatal development and survival 2012Springer
- How gut and brain control metabolism 2014KargerHormonal control of metabolism by the hypothalamus-autonomic nervous system-liver axis / Kalsbeek, A.; Bruinstroop, E.; Yi, C.-X.; Klieverik, L.; Liu, J.; Fliers, E. -- The blood-brain barrier as a regulator of the gut-brain axis / Schaeffer, M.; Hodson, D.J.; Mollard, P. -- The brain modulates insulin sensitivity in multiple tissues / Parlevliet, E.T.; Coomans, C.P.; Rensen, P.C.N.; Romijn, J.A. -- The important role of sleep in metabolism / Copinschi, G.; Leproult, R. ; Spiegel, K. -- Metabolic interplay between gut bacteria and their host / Duca, F.; Giard, P.; Covasa, M.; Lepage, P. -- The brain-stomach connection / Folgueira, C.; Seoane, L.M.; Casanueva, F.F. -- Prader-Willi syndrome as a model of human hyperphagia / Tauber, M.; Diene, G.; Mimoun, E.; Aabal-Berthoumieu, S.; Mantoulan, C.; Molinas, C.; Muscatelli, F.; Salles, J.P. -- Interactions between the gut, the brain and brown adipose tissue function / van den Beukel, J.C.; Grefhorst, A. -- Gut sweet taste receptors and their role in metabolism / Meyer-Gerspach, A.C.; Wilnerhanssen, B.; Beglinger, C. -- What is the role of metabolic hormones in taste buds of the tongue / Cai, H.; Maudsley, S.; Martin, B. -- Protein PYY and its role in metabolism / Price, S.L.; Bloom, S.R. -- Nutropioids regulate the gut-brain circuit controlling food intake / Mithieux, G. -- Should we consider des-acyl ghrelin as a separate hormone and if so, what does it do? / Delhanty, P.J.D.; Neggers, S.J.; van der Lely, A.J. -- Obestatin : is it really doing something? / Trovato, L.; Gallo, D.; Settanni, F.; Gesmundo, I.; Ghigo, E.; Granata, R.
- Insulin therapy a pocket guide 2013SpringerDiabetes is extremely common, with approximately 171 million people affected worldwide. The majority of people with diabetes are cared for in primary care. Primary health care professionals are usually adept at dealing with the lifestyle measures and tablet treatments for diabetes, but generally have limited expertise in the initiation and management of insulin therapy. Insulin therapy has also become more complex, with numerous different forms of insulin and more complex delivery devices available. In a secondary care setting, approximately 10% of in-patients will have diabetes at any one time. People with diabetes stay in hospital longer than people without diabetes, and the condition is often poorly managed during in-patient stays, often leading to clinical errors. Insulin Therapy: A Pocket Guide provides clear and concise information about the safe prescribing of insulin both subcutaneously and intravenously. It covers the different types of insulin, the delivery devices, side effects of insulin and, most importantly, guidance on rational dose adjustment.This book is an invaluable guide for general practitioners and primary care nurses with a special interest in diabetes, as well as junior hospital doctors and specialist medical trainees, advanced nurse practitioners and new diabetes nurse specialists.
- Joslin's Diabetes mellitus. 14th ed 2005Ovid
- Levin and O'Neal's The diabetic foot. 7th ed. 2008ClinicalKeyFully updated, now in full color, this latest edition of Levin and O'Neal's The Diabetic Foot provides diagnostic and management information for the challenging problems faced by patients with diabetic foot problems. The book has a team care focus and offers tips and pearls in every chapter.
- Lipoproteins in diabetes mellitus 2014Springer
- Management of diabetic foot complications 2015SpringerThis book explores the challenges of treating foot complications associated with diabetes,℗ℓ a major challenge for societies the world over. Authors include experienced podiatrists, nurses and doctors,℗ℓ all of whom℗ℓ work in the field of diabetes foot care. The book is divided into prevention and early management, management of major complications, prevention of recurrence and how to structure a team.℗ℓ In each area, the authors describe their practical experiences and discuss how they have addressed clinical challenges. Management of Diabetic Foot Complications provides useful information for anyone responsible for the care of people with diabetes who may be at risk of developing foot complications.
- Management of hypertension in diabetes 2011Future MedManagement of hypertension in diabetes / Samy I. McFarlane -- Hypertension in diabetes : prevalence, risks and treatment targets / Antonio Coca & Miguel Camafort -- Nonpharmacological management of hypertension in diabetes / Marie-Ève Leblanc, Caroline Rhéaume, Lyne Cloutier, Jean Lefebvre & Paul Poirier -- Pharmacological management of hypertension in diabetes / Tonje A. Aksnes, Sigrid N. Skårn & Sverre E. Kjeldsen -- Role of angiotensin receptor blockers in diabetes / Philippe Akhrass, John N. Makaryus, Amgad N. Makaryus, Arathy Vamadevan & Samy I. McFarlane -- Treatment recommendations and consensus guidelines / Vivencio Barrios Alonso & Carlos Escobar Cervantes.
- Management of pediatric obesity and diabetes 2011SpringerThe twin epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) continue to affect an ever increasing number of children, adolescents, and young adults. Management of Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes provides healthcare trainees and professionals with practical, comprehensive, and contemporary approaches to the pediatric patient at risk for obesity, T2DM, and related conditions. A unique guide on the subject, this volume provides clinical paradigms for diagnosis and management of pediatric T2DM and related conditions, while succinctly describing state-of-the-art basic and clinical sciences underlying these problems. The chapters in this volume are independent and concise. Each chapter focuses on a key clinical issue or mechanism of disease. Providing practical, data-driven resources based upon the totality of the evidence, this important text helps the reader understand the basics of pediatric obesity and T2DM and implement strategies to prevent and treat obesity and diabetes in children and adolescents. Management of Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes provides health professionals across many areas of research and practice with up-to-date, well-referenced, and comprehensive evidence on identification, treatment, and prevention of these chronic, serious, metabolic diseases in children. This volume will serve the reader as the most authoritative resource in the field to date.
- Managing diabetes 2012SpringerManaging Diabetes is a up-to-date, comprehensive showcase of the current pharmaceutical trends in treating diabetes and provides a unbiased, inclusive discussion of current and emerging treatments by well-known experts in the field.
- Nanotechnology and nanomedicine in diabetes 2012CRCnetBASE"Understanding the importance of nanosciences is somewhat problematic as a great deal of text can be rather technical in nature with little consideration to the novice. In this book information is readable as it has sections for the novice and expert alike. Each chapter has an abstract, "key facts", and a "mini-dictionary" of key terms and phrases within each chapter. Each chapter has a summary in point form The book covers for example, introductions to the field, lipid matrix nanoparticles, atomic force microscopy, characterization of tissues at the nanometer scale, antisense oligonucleotides, carbon nanotubes, , nanocomposites, nanorods, carbon nanomaterials, nanolabeled diabetogenic, nanofiber wound dressings, and nanotechnology footsocks"-- Provided by publisher.
- New frontiers in lifestyle-related diseases 2008Springer
- Global figures argue in favour of preventive measures and personalised treatment to optimise inadequate diabetes care -- Three levels of prediction, prevention and individualised treatment algorithms to advance diabetes care: integrative approach -- Diabetes Mellitus: new challenges and innovative therapies -- Identification of biomarkers for beta cell failure as detection tools for predictive screening in Type 2 pre-diabetes -- Endothelial dysfunction in diabetes: role of circulating biomarkers as potential diagnostic and prognostic tools -- Correction of diabetes-induced endothelial progenitor dysfunction to promote retinal vascular repair -- Oxidative stress and apoptotic biomarkers in diabetic retinopathy -- Diabetic retinopathy: the need for predictive, preventive and personalized approach to management -- The rle of inflammatory cytokines in diabetic nephropathy: potential use as predictive markers for early detection and progression -- Preventing hyperglycemia and tissue injury in diabetes: the dynamic role of 2, 3 indoleaminedioxygenase (IDO) in diabetes and its complications -- An integrative approach to chronic wounds in patients with diabetes: PPPM in action -- Understanding inflammation: the key to targeted preventive measures for diabetes and periodontitis -- Cancer predisposition in diabetic patients: risk assessment and targeted preventive measures -- Recognition of individual risks by analysis of subcellular imaging insights into chromium picolinate therapy in pre/diabetes care, search into its safety and opinion controversy -- Remote control in diabetes -- Drug delivery systems for predictive medicine: polymers as tools for advanced applications.
- New transcription factors and their role in diabetes and therapy 2006ScienceDirectTranscription factor genes in type 2 diabetes / by M.N. Weedon, A.T. Hattersley & T.M. Frayling -- PPAR[gamma], a key therapeutic target in the metabolic syndrome-unique insights derived from the study of human genetic variants / by C.S. Mitchell & M. Gurnell -- PPAR[delta]: emerging therapeutic potential of novel agonists in lipid and glucose homeostasis / by U. Dressel & G.E.O. Muscat -- Liver X receptors as potential drug targets for diabetes and its disorders / by K.R. Steffenson -- SREBP-lc regulation of nutrient homeostasis and lipid accumulation / by P. Ferré ... [et al.] -- The adipocyte and adipose tissue as endocrine organs: impact on the insulin resistance phenotype / by R.R. Henry ... [et al.] -- FOXC2 in the adipocyte / by S. Enerbäck -- Regulation of adipocyte differentiation and metabolism by Wnt signaling and C/EBP transcription factors / by I. Gerin, H.D. Cha & O.A. MacDougald -- GATA proteins as molecular gatekeepers of adipogenesis / by J. Tsai, Q. Tong & G.S. Hotamisligil -- Forkhead proteins and the regulation of hepatic gene expression / by A. Barthel, S. Herzig & D. Schmoll -- Disruption of CREB regulated of gene expression in diabetes / by J.E.B. Reusch, P.A. Watson & S. Pugazhenthi -- Regulation of PGC-1 in humans with insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes: functional implications / by J. Pihlajamäki & M.E. Patti -- Hepatic CCAAT/enhancer binding protein [beta] (C/EBP[beta]): engineer of diabetes, obesity, and inflammatory disease processes / by J.M. Schroeder-Gloeckler, S.M. Rahman & J.E. Friedman -- Insulin resistance, inflammation, and the IKK/I[kappa]B/NF-[kappa]B pathway by B.A. Bhatt & R.M. O'Doherty.
- Nutrition and diabetes pathophysiology and management 2006CRCnetBASE
- Nutrition and type 2 diabetes etiology and prevention 2014CRCnetBASE"Focusing on the worldwide impact of type 2 diabetes regarding nutrition, dietary modification, risk, and management, this book draws on evidence-based research and provides numerous epidemiologic cohort studies, as well as carefully conducted clinical trials. Chapters correlate treatment modes and risk factors as well as the global impact of nutrition back to the basic premise held in the etiology of the disease. Topics include historical perspectives; macronutrients, micronutrients, food, dietary beverages, and dietary patterns; diet-gene interactions; and the role of age, ethnicity, and other demographics in modifying treatment for type 2 diabetes"--Provided by publisher.
- Obesity and diabetes 2006SpringerObesity and diabetes: the historical events marking the evolution of the understanding of the pathophysiology and treatment of two related diseases / George Karanastasis and Christos S. Mantzoros -- Epidemiology of obesity and diabetes: prevalence and trends / Susanna C. Larsson and Alicja Wolk -- Genetics of obesity and diabetes / Despina Sanoudou and Christos S. Mantzoros -- Nutrients and peripherally secreted molecules in regulation of energy homeostasis / Greeshma K. Shetty, Diana Barb, and Christos S. Mantzoros -- Central integration of peripheral signals in regulation of energy homeostasis / Greeshma K. Shetty, George Karanastasis, and Christos S. Mantzoros -- Role of energy expenditure in regulation of energy homeostasis / Eric S. Bachman -- Pathophysiology of diabetes in obesity / Geetha R. Soodini and Osama Hamdy -- Diagnosing obesity, diabetes mellitus and the insulin resistance syndrome / Diana Barb and Christos S. Mantzoros -- Metabolic syndrome / Rochelle L. Chaiken and Mary Ann Banerji -- Obesity, diabetes, and hypertension / Anjanette S. Tan ... [et al.] -- Dyslipidemia associated with diabetes and insulin resistance syndromes / Jody Dushay and J. Peter Oettgen -- Obesity, diabetes, and endothelial dysfunction / Geetha R. Soodini, Edward S. Horton, and Osama Hamdy -- Atherosclerosis and peripheral vascular disease: sequelae of obesity and diabetes / Satish N. Nadig and Allen Hamdan -- Obesity, diabetes, and risk of cancer: a review of epidemiological studies / Susanna C. Larsson, Hans-Olov Adami, and Alicja Wolk -- Polycystic ovary syndrome a and its metabolic complications / Emilia P. Liao and Leonid Poretsky -- Obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus in childhood and adolescence / Susann Blüher and Wieland Kiess -- Diabetic retinopathy / Vassiliki Poulaki and Joan W. Miller -- Obesity and renal disease / Ayman Geneidy and Richard Solomon -- Diabetic peripheral neuropathy / Rachel Nardin and Roy Freeman -- The diabetic foot / Thanh L. Dinh and Aristidis Veves -- Erectile dysfunction / Kenneth J. Snow -- Infections in diabetes mellitus / Sotirios Tsiodras ... [et al.] -- The HAART-induced metabolic syndrome / Sotirios Tsiodras, Theodore Kelesidis, and Christos S. Mantzoros -- Diet and lifestyle in the prevention and management of type 2 diabetes / Frank B. Hu -- Diet, exercise, and behavioral treatment of obesity / George L. Blackburn -- Medical approaches to the treatment of the obese patient / George A. Bray and Donna H. Ryan -- Medical treatment of the obese patient with type 2 diabetes / Jean L. Chan, Christos S. Mantzoros and Martin J. Abrahamson -- Surgical treatment of obesity and diabetes / Benjamin E. Schneider and Edward C. Mun -- Future developments in the area of pharmacotherapy: molecules in early-stage preclinical development and in clinical trials that may affect energy homeostasis / Diana Barb, Greeshma K. Shetty, and Christos S. Mantzoros.
- This timely and clinically oriented book uniquely addresses the entire spectrum of treatment for severe obesity and diabetes. It thoroughly examines all aspects from robotic surgery to cell therapy, from the latest antidiabetic drugs to endoscopic procedures and devices, from appetite-inhibiting signals and nutrients to gastric arterial embolization. It offers objective and authoritative information for practicing professionals; not only are successful interventions discussed and updated, but cutting-edge and experimental pathways are also anticipated. Obesity is the foremost nutritional challenge worldwide. Its companion is type-2 diabetes, the most prevalent metabolic disease. Together they represent the diabesity epidemic, which is draining resources, overwhelming healthcare facilities, and impacting life expectancy and quality of life everywhere. No country has been spared, and most medical specialties have been affected. Many books focus on the surgical options for obesity and diabetes, namely bariatric and metabolic operations. Information on the clinical and pharmacological treatment is also available, conveyed by standard texts on internal medicine and endocrinology. Yet endoscopic maneuvers and prostheses, cell therapy for diabetes, and other innovative approaches are hard to come by, as conventional texts overlook such therapies. This timely publication bridges the gaps between all different therapeutic options, also covering advances in the conservative, surgical and parasurgical domains. This book will appeal to seasoned specialists, students and healthcare professionals in training alike.
- Painful diabetic neuropathy in clinical practice 2011SpringerIntroduction to Diabetic Neuropathies -- Classification and Clinical Features -- Diagnosis and Staging -- Management of Neuropathic Pain.
- Painful diabetic polyneuropathy is the most common and disturbing of painful conditions experienced by people with diabetes. As the diabetes rate continues to grow, the number of people suffering from painful diabetic polyneuropathy will as well - increasing both patient suffering and demands on healthcare resources. Painful Diabetic Polyneuropathy covers all aspects of these painful disorders from pathophysiology and diagnosis, treatment and prevention, future approaches and the nursing perspective, to billing issues and the patient's experience.
- Pharmacotherapy of diabetes new developments : improving life and prognosis for diabetic patients 2007SpringerPharmacoepidemiology of diabetes -- New definitions of diabetes: consequences -- The insulin resistance syndrome: concept and therapeutic approaches -- Medical emergencies-diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycaemia -- Notes on the use of glucagon in type 1 diabetes -- Insulin and new insulin analogues, insulin pumps and inhaled insulin in type 1 diabetes -- Insulin and new insulin analogues with focus on type 2 diabetes -- The place of insulin secretagogues in the treatment of type 2 diabetes in the twenty-first century -- Metformin-from devil to angel -- The glitazones, lessons so far -- Antidiabetic combination therapy -- The incretin modulators-incretin mimetics (GLP-1 receptor agonists) and incretin enhancers (DPP-4 inhibitors) -- The role of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors (acarbose) -- Multifactorial intervention in type 2 diabetes -- Obesity and pharmacological treatment -- Management of diabetic dyslipidaemia -- Coronary intervention and ischemic cardioprotection in diabetic patients -- ACE-I and ARB and blood pressure lowering, including effect on renal disease. Treatment of advanced diabetic renal disease -- Aspirin and antiplatelet drugs in the prevention of cardiovascular complications of diabetes -- Glycosylation inhibitors, PKC inhibitors and related interventions against complications -- Diabetic foot ulcers -- Pharmacotherapy in diabetic neuropathy -- Pregnancy-pharmacological problems - Pharmacotherapy of diabetic retinopathy -- Pharmacotherapy in diabetic sexual dysfunction -- A bone perspective -- Achieving guideline control with new pharmacotherapies; albumin-binding by acylation of insulin and GLP-1 -- Pharmacotherapy of diabetes.
- Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes; from Science to Therapies / Emily Jane Gallagher and Derek LeRoith -- Pathophysiology: Loss of [beta]-Cell Function / Ele Ferrannini and Andrea Mari -- Pathophysiology of Insulin Resistance: Implications for Prevention / Shamsa Ali and Vivian A. Fonseca -- Epidemiology Including Youth Through Adulthood and Socioeconomic Impact / Helen Looker -- Prediabetes Genes in Pima and Amish / Leslie J. Baier -- Predicting Diabetes / Rachel Dankner and Jesse Roth -- Screening for Prediabetes and Diabetes / Amir Tirosh -- Neuropathy in Prediabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome / Aaron I. Vinik and Marie-Laure Nevoret -- Interventional Trials to Prevent Diabetes: Diabetes Prevention Program / Vanita R. Aroda and Robert E. Ratner -- Decreasing Postprandial Plasma Glucose Using an [alpha]-Glucosidase Inhibitor in Subjects with IGT for the Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The STOP-NIDDM Trial / Jean-Louis Chiasson, Markku Laakso and Markolf Hanefeld -- Da Qing, Finnish DPP, Tripod, and Dream: Lifestyle and Thiazolidinediones in the Prevention of Diabetes / Mariela Glandt and Zachary Bloomgarden -- Community Approaches to Diabetes Prevention / Ann Albright and David Williamson -- Think Locally, Act Locally, Extend Globally: Diabetes Prevention Through Partnerships with Local Communities / Carol R. Horowitz and Brett Ives -- Global Challenge in Diabetes Prevention from Practice to Public Health / Peter E. H. Schwarz.
- Proceedings of the 61st Annual Fall Conference and Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association Council for High Blood Pressure Research, held September 26 to 29, 2007 in Tucson Ariz. 2008HighWire
- Psychology and diabetes care a practical guide 2012SpringerPsychological issues are increasingly recognised to be of high importance in diabetes management. Understanding the psychosocial barriers facing individuals and their families and being able to provide the tools to support them to overcome those barriers is an essential part of diabetes care.Psychology and Diabetes Care: A Practical Guide is a concise handbook for the practicing diabetes clinician who is interested in gaining a better understanding of their patients, and in learning effective skills to better support patients. The book explores common psychological problems associated with diabetes, gives insight into how diabetes is experienced in children, adolescents and special groups, and provides practical advice on providing psychological support to individuals with this serious long-term condition.
- Screening for depression and other psychological problems in diabetes a practical guide 2013SpringerCurrent epidemiological evidence suggests that at least one third of people with diabetes suffer from clinically relevant depressive disorders which often go unrecognized and untreated. Research also shows that people with depressive disorders have an increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. Furthermore, the prognosis is poorer for either disease when they are co-morbid than when they occur separately. Co-morbid depression and diabetes has a huge impact on quality of life and diabetes management, and is an important public health problem. While there are many screening instruments available to identify individuals who may have depression, selecting the most appropriate tool for use in a busy diabetes clinic or primary care setting may not be straightforward. Screening for Depression and Other Psychological Problems in Diabetes: A Practical Guide provides an up-to-date overview of available instruments for screening for depression in diabetes. The book reviews the most commonly used screening tools and considers their utility in a range of settings and countries. Guidance on the practical use of each tool is also provided. Other psychological problems found to be common in people with diabetes as well as diabetes-specific emotional difficulties are also considered. This book will appeal to a range of health care practitioners caring for people with diabetes, including diabetologists, general practitioners, practice nurses and diabetes specialist nurses. The issues considered here are applicable to all diabetes populations across the world and thus this book will appeal to a broad international readership as well as to researchers in the field of diabetes and mental health.
- Stem cell therapy for diabetes 2010Springer
- Glycemic control -- Home blood glucose monitoring -- Continuous glucose monitoring -- Insulin delivery system -- Closed-loop insulin-delivery system -- Alternatives to insulin injection -- Devices to support treatmtne decisions -- Electronic medical record.
- Type 1 diabetes-- clinical management of the athlete 2012SpringerEndocrine and Metabolic Responses to Exercise / Kostas Tsintzas and Ian A. MacDonald -- The Impact of Type 1 Diabetes on the Physiological Responses to Exercise / Michael C. Riddell Ph.D. -- Pre-exercise Insulin and Carbohydrate Strategies in the Exercising T1DM Individual / Richard M. Bracken, Daniel J. West and Stephen C. Bain -- Physical Activity in Childhood Diabetes / Krystyna A. Matyka and S. Francesca Annan -- The Role of Newer Technologies (CSII and CGM) and Novel Strategies in the Management of Type 1 Diabetes for Sport and Exercise / Alistair N. Lumb -- Hypoglycemia and Hypoglycemia Unawareness During and Following Exercise / Lisa M. Younk and Stephen N. Davis -- Fueling the Athlete with Type 1 Diabetes / Carin Hume -- Diabetes and Doping / Richard I. G. Holt -- Synthesis of Best Practice / Ian Gallen -- The Athlete's Perspective / Christopher J. Pennell, Jen Alexander, Mark S. Blewitt, Russell D. Cobb and Sebastien Sasseville, et al.
- Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes -- Pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus -- Metabolic mechanisms of muscle insulin resistance -- Fat metabolism in insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes -- Detection and diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes - Therapies for delay or prevention of Type 2 Diabetes -- Postprandial hyperglycemia -- Medical nutrition therapy in Type 2 Diabetes -- Exercise as an effective treatment for Type 2 Diabetes -- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: an evidence-based approach to practical management: noninsulin pharmacological therapies -- The transition from oral agents to combination insulin/oral therapy -- Intensive insulin therapy in T2DM -- Hypoglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes -- Type 2 Diabetes and concomitant illness: the prepared practice -- Adherence to practice guidelines for people with Diabetes Mellitus -- Treatment of hypertension in Type 2 Diabetes -- Lipoproteins in Diabetes: risk and opportunity -- Management of coronary artery disease in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus -- Peripheral vascular disease and stroke in Type 2 Diabetes -- Obesity and its treatment in Type 2 Diabetes -- The liver in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus -- Developing criteria for defining Type 2 Diabetes in pregnancy -- Metabolic complications of polycystic ovary syndrome -- Erectile dysfunction in Diabetes -- Sexual dysfunction in women with Type 2 Diabetes -- Depression in Type 2 Diabetes -- Atypical forms in Type 2 Diabetes -- Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 and stress: pathophysiology and treatment -- Pharmacologic factors affecting glycemic control -- Influencing self-management: from compliance to collaboration.
- Type 2 diabetes methods and protocols 2009Springer Protocols
- Type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome the primary care guide to diagnosis and management 2005SpringerPathophysiology of type 2 diabetes -- Guidelines and classifications -- Exercise -- Nutrition -- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome -- Oral agents for type 2 diabetes -- Insulin use -- Macrovascular disease -- Microvascular disease -- Diabetic dyslipidemia -- Hypertension in diabetics -- Glycemic control -- Risk reduction in the diabetic patient.
- Pathophysiology of type-2 diabetes -- Guidelines and classifications -- Exercise -- Nutrition -- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome -- Oral agents for type-2 diabetes -- Insulin use -- Non-insulin injectables -- Macrovascular disease -- Microvascular disease -- Diabetic dyslipidemia -- Hypertension in diabetics -- The pathophysiology and metabolic impact of hyperglycemia -- Risk reduction in the diabetic patient -- Diabetes in special populations.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Large number of high quality software and database programming titles from O'Reilly. Other software titles are also available from Sams and Prentice Hall. Limited to 7 concurrent users.Vast collection of software and database programming titles from multiple publishers, including Microsoft Press.Largest provider of engineering-related eBooks; includes titles in computer science and biomedical engineering.Over 4,000 full-text e-books covering scientific and technical information from CRC Press and others. Many handbooks and single volume reference sources.A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more. Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.Includes peer-reviewed life science and biomedical research protocols compiled from Methods in Molecular Biology, Methods in Molecular Medicine, Methods in Biotechnology, Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuromethods, the Biomethods Handbook, the Proteomics Handbook, and Springer Laboratory Manuals.Contains full text access to selected biomedical and nursing books.Provides one-click access to important clinical resources; includes evidence-based diagnosis and treatment guidelines, Books, EBM articles, Ovid MEDLINE, Drug facts and comparisons, Drug interaction facts, guidelines from National Guideline Clearinghouse, patient handouts (English and Spanish), and local content.ClinicalKey provides access to textbooks, electronic journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.