Books by Subject
Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Acupuncture therapy for neurological diseases 2010, Springer
- Advances in natural medicines, nutraceuticals and neurocognition 2013, CRCnetBASEPt. 1. Methodologies to measure cognition in natural medicine trials -- pt. 2. Vitamins and nutrients -- pt. 3. Essential fatty acids and neurocognition -- pt. 4. Herbal medicines, nutraceuticals and neurocognition.
- Alternative and complementary therapies for cancer 2010, Springer
- Alternative medicine and rehabilitation 2003, NLM
- Berries and cancer prevention 2011, Springer
- Chinese and related North American herbs. 2nd ed. 2009, CRCnetBASEChinese medicinal herbs: phytopharmacology and therapeutic values -- Phyletic relationships between Chinese and Western medicinal herbs.
- Chinese herbal medicine 2005, CRCnetBASE
- Chromatographic fingerprint analysis of herbal medicines Vol. 1 /. 2nd, rev. and enl. ed. 2011, Springer
- Clinical handbook of mindfulness 2009, SpringerIntroduction: Where new and old paths to dealing with suffering meet /Fabrizio Didonna --Part 1. Theory, conceptualization, and phenomenology --Mindfulness : What is it? Where did it come from? /Ronald D. Siegel, Christopher K. Germer, and Andrew Olendzki --Mindfulness and meditation /Andrew Olendzki --The neurobiology of mindfulness /Michael T. Treadway and Sara W. Lazar --Toward a phenomenology of mindfulness : subjective experience and emotional correlates /Kirk Warren Brown and Shari Cordon --Part 2. Clinical applications : general issues, rationale, and phenomenology --Mindfulness and psychopathology : problem formulation /Nancy L. Kocovski, Zindel V. Segal, Susan R. Battista --Emotional memory, mindfulness and compassion /Paul Gilbert and Dennis Tirch --The use of metaphor to establish acceptance and mindfulness /Alethea A. Varra, Claudia Drossel, and Steven C. Hayes --Mindfulness and feelings of emptiness /Fabrizio Didonna and Yolanda Rosillo Gonzalez --Assessment of mindfulness /Ruth A. Baer, Erin Walsh, Emily L.B. Lykins --Part 3. Mindfulness-based interventions for specific disorders --Mindfulness and anxiety disorders : developing a wise relationship with the inner experience of fear /Jeffrey Greeson, Jeffrey Brantley --Mindfulness and obsessive-compulsive disorder : developing a way to trust and validate one's internal experience /Fabrizio Didonna --Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for depression and suicidality /Thorsten Barnhofer and Catherine Crane --Mindfulness and borderline personality disorder /Shireen L. Rizvi, Stacy Shaw Welch, and Sona Dimidjian --Mindfulness-based approaches to eating disorders /Ruth Q. Wolever and Jennifer L. Best --Paradise lost : mindfulness and addictive behavior /Thomas Bien --Mindfulness for trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder /Victoria M. Follette and Aditi Vijay --Mindful awareness and ADHD /L. Zylowska, S.L. Smalley, J.M. Schwartz --Mindfulness and psychosis /Antonio Pinto --Mindfulness-based stress reduction for chronic pain management /Jacqueline Gardner-Nix --Mindfulness-based interventions in oncology /Linda E. Carlson ... [et al.] --Part 4. Mindfulness-based interventions for specific settings and populations --Mindfulness-based intervention in an individual clinical setting : what difference mindfulness makes behind closed doors /Paul R. Fulton --Mindfulness with children : working with difficult emotions /Trudy A. Goodman and Susan Kaiser Greenland --Mindfulness-based elder care : communicating mindfulness to frail elders and their caregivers /Lucia McBee --Mindfulness-based interventions in an inpatient setting /Fabrizio Didonna --Training professionals in mindfulness : the heart of teaching /Susan Lesley Woods --Appendix A :Mindfulness practice /Thomas Bien and Fabrizio Didonna --Appendix B : Resources.
- Complementary and alternative medicine 2007, SpringerA context for thinking about complementary and alternative medicine and ethics / Lois Snyder -- Complementary and alternative medicine: history, definitions, and what is it today? / Richard J. Carroll -- Complementary and alternative medicine: the physician's ethical obligations / Wayne Vaught -- Advising patients about complementary and alternative medicine / Arti Prasad and Mariebeth B. Velásquez -- Patient and medical education on complementary and alternative medicine: sorting it out / Catherine Leffler -- Legal and risk management in complementary and alternative medicine / Michael H. Cohen -- Whose evidence, which methods? Ethical challenges in complementary and alternative medicine research / Jon Tilburt.
- Introduction -- Prevalence, cost, and patterns of use -- Contemporary approaches to evidence of treatment effectiveness : a context for CAM research -- Need for innovative designs in CAM (and conventional medicine) -- State of the emerging evidence -- An ethical framework for CAM research, practice, and policy -- Integration of CAM and conventional medicine -- Educational programs in CAM -- Dietary supplements -- Conclusion.
- Complementary and alternative therapies and the aging population 2009, ScienceDirectBotanical and marine oils for treatment of arthritis -- Prolotherapy for chronic musculoskeletal pain -- Soy and cognition in the aging population -- Valerian and other CAM botanicals in treatment of sleep disturbances -- Botanicals and nutrition in the treatment of epilepsy -- Ginkgo biloba extract in prevention of age-associated diseases in elderly population -- Policosanol to manage dyslipidemia in older adults -- Health promoting benefits of chamomile in the elderly population -- Bamboo extract in the prevention of diabetes and breast cancer -- Cranberry and other dietary supplements for the treatment of urinary tract infections in aging women -- Black cohosh: chemopreventive and anticancer potential -- Integrating comprehensive and alternative medicine into stroke -- Socioeconomic aspects of the use of complementary and alternative medicine -- Noni (Morinda citrifolia) fruit as a functional food and dietary supplement for an aging population -- Botanical treatment for polycystic ovary syndrome -- Eggs and health: nutrient sources and supplement carriers -- Berries and cancer -- Flavonoids and cardiovascular health -- Ibogaine and the treatment of opiate addiction -- The potential of caffine for the inhibition of cognitive decline in the aged -- Five or more servings of fruit and vegetables each day for better health! -- Medicinal uses of vinegar -- Health-promoting effects of grape bioactive phytochemicals -- Isoflavones made simple - agonist activity for the beta-type estrogen receptor may mediate their health benefits -- Signal therapy: propolis and pepper extracts as cancer therapeutics -- Health benefits of traditional culinary and medicinal Mediterranean plants -- Quercetin: a potential complementary and alternative cancer therapy.
- Complementary Therapist's Guide to Red Flags and Referrals 2013, ScienceDirectMachine generated contents note: ch. 1 Red flags of disease -- Use of complementary medicine and red flags -- The red flags as guides to referral -- Prioritisation of the red flags -- How to respond to the red flags -- The summaries of red flags of disease -- ch. 2 A tables: red flags ordered by physiological system -- Introduction -- A1.Red flags of cancer -- A2.Red flags of infectious diseases: vulnerable groups -- A3.Red flags of infectious diseases: fever, dehydration and confusion -- A4.Red flags of diseases of the mouth -- A5.Red flags of diseases of the oesophagus -- A6.Red flags of diseases of the stomach -- A7.Red flags of diseases of the pancreas -- A8.Red flags of diseases of the liver -- A9.Red flags of diseases of the gallbladder -- A10.Red flags of diseases of the small and large intestines -- A11.Red flags of diseases of the blood vessels -- A12.Red flags of hypertension -- A13.Red flags of angina and heart attack --Contents note continued: A14.Red flags of heart failure and arrhythmias -- A15.Red flags of pericarditis -- A16.Red flags of upper respiratory disease -- A17.Red flags of lower respiratory disease -- A18.Red flags of anaemia -- A19.Red flags of haemorrhage and shock -- A20.Red flags of leukaemia and lymphoma -- A21.Red flags of raised intracranial pressure -- A22.Red flags of brain haemorrhage, stroke and brain tumour -- A23.Red flags of headache -- A24.Red flags of dementia, epilepsy and other disorders of the central nervous system -- A25.Red flags of diseases of the spinal cord and peripheral nerves -- A26.Red flags of diseases of the bones -- A27.Red flags of localised diseases of the joints, ligaments and muscles -- A28.Red flags of generalised diseases of the joints, ligaments and muscles -- A29.Red flags of diseases of the kidneys -- A30.Red flags of diseases of the ureters, bladder and urethra -- A31.Red flags of diseases of the thyroid gland --Contents note continued: A32.Red flags of diabetes mellitus -- A33.Red flags of other endocrine diseases -- A34.Red flags of menstruation -- A35.Red flags of sexually transmitted diseases -- A36.Red flags of structural disorders of the reproductive system -- A37.Red flags of pregnancy -- A38.Red flags of the puerperium -- A39.Red flags of diseases of the breast -- A40.Red flags of childhood diseases -- A41.Red flags of diseases of the skin -- A42.Red flags of diseases of the eye -- A43.Red flags of diseases of the ear -- A44.Red flags of mental health disorders -- ch. 3 B tables: red flags ordered by symptom keyword -- Introduction -- B1.Red flags of abdominal pain and swelling -- B2.Red flags of anaemia -- B3.Red flags of anxiety or agitation -- B4.Red flags of bleeding or blood loss -- B5.Red flags of disorders of the breast -- B6.Red flags of breathlessness or difficulty in breathing -- B7.Red flags of bruising and purpura -- B8.Red flags of chest pain --Contents note continued: B9.Red flags particular to childhood diseases -- B10.Red flags of collapse and loss of consciousness -- B11.Red flags of confusion and clouding of consciousness -- B12.Red flags of cough -- B13.Red flags of dehydration -- B14.Red flags of depression and exhaustion -- B15.Red flags of dizziness -- B16.Red flags of diseases of the ear -- B17.Red flags of diseases of the eye -- B18.Red flags of fever -- B19.Red flags of headache -- B20.Red flags of hypertension -- B21.Red flags of infections -- B22.Red flags of jaundice -- B23.Red flags of lumps, masses and glands -- B24.Red flags of disorders of menstruation -- B25.Red flags of disorders of the mouth -- B26.Red flags of muscle tremor and spasms -- B27.Red flags of numbness -- B28.Red flags of oedema -- B29.Red flags of pain in the bones, joints or muscles -- B30.Red flags of palpitations or abnormal pulse rate -- B31.Red flags of pregnancy and the puerperium -- B32.Red flags of diseases of the skin --Contents note continued: B33.Red flags of disorders of speech -- B34.Red flags of disorders of swallowing -- B35.Red flags of thirst -- B36.Red flags of urinary disorders -- B37.Red flags of visual disturbance -- B38.Red flags of vomiting and/or passage of faeces -- B39.Red flags of weakness/paralysis -- B40.Red flags of weight loss or weight gain -- ch. 4 C tables: red flags requiring urgent referral -- Introduction -- C1.Red flags of acute abdominal pain -- C2.Red flags of bone marrow failure -- C3.Red flags of blood loss and shock -- C4.Red flags of acute difficulty in breathing -- C5.Red flags of chest pain -- C6.Red flags of dehydration -- C7.Red flags of weakness or loss of consciousness -- C8.Red flags of confusion or altered mental state -- C9.Red flags of diseases of the skin -- C10.Red flags of headache -- C11.Red flags of diseases of the eye -- C12.Red flags of thromboembolism in the limbs -- ch. 5 Communicating with medical practitioners --Contents note continued: Choice of method of communication -- The structure and content of the communication -- Sample letter for referring patients to medical practitioners -- ch. 6 Red flags and referrals: ethical points -- The importance of clear records -- If in doubt, seek advice -- Maintaining confidentiality.
- Comprehensive treatment of chronic pain by medical, interventional, and integrative approaches 2013, SpringerPt. 1. Medical approaches -- Pt. 2. Interventional approaches: anatomy and physiology of pain -- Pt. 3. Interventional approaches: neural blockade and neurolysis blocks -- Pt. 4. Interventional approaches: neuromodulation -- Pt. 5. Integrative approaches.
- CRC handbook of medicinal spices 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Current research in acupuncture 2013, Springer
- Edible medicinal and non-medicinal plants 2012, SpringerFulltext Vol. 2 SpringerFulltext Vol. 3 SpringerFulltext Vol. 4 SpringerV. 1. Fruits -- v. 2. Fruits -- v. 3. Fruits -- v. 4. Fruits.
- Encyclopedia of traditional Chinese medicines 2011, Springerv. 1. Isolated compounds A-C -- v. 2. Isolated compunds D-G -- v. 3. Isolated compunds H-M -- v. 4. Isolated compunds N-S -- v. 4. Isolated compunds N-S -- v. 5. Isolated compunds T-Z, references, TCM plants and congeners -- v. 6. Indexes.
- Energy medicine East and West 2011, ScienceDirectQi in Asian medicine / Nancy N. Chen -- Flows and blockages in Rwandan ritual and notions of the body / Christopher C. Taylor -- Elemental souls and vernacular qi : some attributes of what moves us / David Mayor -- The anatomical foundations of qi / John L. Stump -- Qi in China's traditional medicine : the example of tuina / Kevin V. Ergil and Marc S. Micozzi -- Qi cultivation in qigong and taiji quan / Gideon Enz -- Qigong theory and research / Amy L. Ai -- The language of qi, quantum physics, and the superimplicate body / F. David Peat -- Qi and the frequencies of bioelectricity / Cyril W. Smith -- Systems theory : trapping and mapping healing with qi / Christopher Low -- The physiology of qi / Hakima Amri and Mones S. Abu-Asab -- Energy and medicine / John A. Ives and Wayne B. Jonas -- What does it mean to practice an energy medicine? / Claire M. Cassidy -- Evidencing energy : experiences in acupuncture and therapeutic bodywork (zero balancing) / Tim Newman -- Eight modalities for working with qi : chakra acupuncture, with qigong, meditation, and the five sources of energy / Gabriel Stux -- Ki in shiatsu / Patrizia Stefanini -- Bioelectricity and qi : a microcurrent approach / Darren Starwynn -- Energy psychology : working with mind-body synergy / Phil Mollon -- Craniosacral biodynamics / Franklyn Sills -- Qi in children / May Loo -- Qigong, taiji quan (tai chi) and HIV : the psychoneuroimmunology connection / Mary Lou Galantino and Laura Muscatello -- Energy-based therapies in neurology : the example of therapeutic touch / Eric Leskowitz -- Qi in chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia / Carolyn McMakin and Peter H. Fraser -- The electrical heart : energy in cardiac health and disease / Alan Watkins -- Themes of qi and a dozen definitions : content analysis and discussion / David Mayor and Marc S. Micozzi.
- Essentials of Chinese medicine. Vol. 1-3 v. 1-3, 2009., Springerv. 2, 2009 Springerv. 3, 2009 SpringerVolume 1. Foundations of Chinese Medicine -- Volume 2. Clinical Fundamentals in Chinese Medicine -- Volume 3. Essentials of the Clinical Specialties in Chinese Medicine.
- Ethnomedicine and drug discovery 2002, ScienceDirectTherapeutic agents from ethnomedicine / Maurice M Iwu -- Drugs from nature : past achievements, future prospects / Gordon M Cragg and David J Newman -- Natural products for high-throughput screening / Alan L Harvey -- Medical ethnobotanical research as a method to identify bioactive plants to treat infectious diseases / Thomas JS Carlson -- Development of HerbMed : an interactive, evidence-based herbal database / Jacqueline C Wootton -- Natural products : a continuing source of inspiration for the medicinal chemist / S Mbua Ngale Efange -- Integrating African ethnomedicine into primary healthcare : a framework for south-eastern Nigeria / Chioma Obijiofor -- Current initiatives in the protection of indigenous and local community knowledge : problems, concepts and lessons for the future / Robert Lettington -- Bioprospecting : using Africa's genetic resources as a new basis for economic development and regional cooperation / Anthony Onugu -- Balancing conservation with utilization : restoring populations of commercially valuable medicinal herbs in forests and agroforests / Richard A Cech -- Ethnomedicine of the Cherokee : historical and current applications / Jody E Noé --Traditional medicines and the new paradigm of psychotropic drug action / Elaine Elisabetsky -- Drug discovery through ethnobotany in Nigeria : some results / Joseph I Okogun --Plants, products and people : southern African perspectives / Nigel Gericke -- Development of antimalarial agents and drugs for parasitic infections based on leads from traditional medicine : the Walter Reed experience / Brian G Schuster -- Health foods in anti-aging therapy : reducers of physiological decline and degenerative diseases / Lisa Meserole -- Indigenous peoples and local communities embodying traditional lifestyles : definitions under Article 8 (j) of the Convention on Biological Diversity / Katy Moran -- Garcinia kola : a new look at an old adaptogenic agent / Maurice M Iwu, Angela Duncan Diop, Lisa Meserole and Chris O Okunji -- Linking intellectual property rights with traditional medicine / Michael A Gollin -- The use of conservation trust funds for sharing financial benefits in bioprospecting projects / Marianne Guerin-McManus, Kent C Nnadozie and Sarah A Laird -- The regulation of botanicals as drugs and dietary supplements in Europe / Joerg Gruenwald -- Regulation of herbal medicines in Nigeria : the role of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) / Gabriel E Osuide -- Considerations in the development of public standards for botanicals and their dosage forms / V Srini Srinivasan -- The Belize Ethnobotany Project : safeguarding medicinal plants and traditional knowledge in Belize / Michael J Balick, Rosita Arvigo, Gregory Shropshire, Jay Walker, David Campbell and Leopoldo Romero -- Ethnobotanical research into the 21st century / Susan Tarka Nelson-Harrison, Steven R King, Charles Limbach, Carey Jackson, Andrew Galiwango, Sirimani Kisingi Kato and BR Kanyerezi -- Ethnobotanical approach to pharmaceutical drug discovery : strengths and limitations / Maurice M Iwu.
- Evidence and rational based research on Chinese drugs 2013, Springer
- pt. I. Evidence-Based and Comparative Effectiveness Analysis -- 1. Fundamentals: Evidence-Based Practice in Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Perspectives, Protocols, Problems, and Potentials / Francesco Chiappelli -- pt. II. Evidence-Based Medicine and Ayurveda -- 2. Transforming Ayurveda: Stepping into the Realm of Evidence-Based Practice / Ram Harsh Singh -- 3. Diet and Nutrition Concepts in Ayurveda: Gleaming into Opportunities for Evidence-Based Applications in Health Care / Rajiv Rastogi -- 4. Clinical Evidence in the Tradition of Ayurveda / P. Ram Manohar -- 5. Evidence-Based Traditional Persian Medicine / Francesco Chiappelli -- pt. III. Substantiating Ayurvedic Theory and Practice Toward Evidence-Base -- 6. Prakriti Analysis in Ayurveda: Envisaging the Need of Better Diagnostic Tools / Sanjeev Rastogi -- 7. Panchakarma: Ayurvedic Detoxification and Allied Therapies---Is There Any Evidence? / Ingebritt Ziegler -- 8. Gut and Joint Interconnections: A Reappraisal to Ayurvedic Understanding of Joint Diseases / Ranjana Rastogi -- 9. Ayurvedic Approach to Cardiovascular Diseases: Delineating the Literary and Clinical Evidences / P.S. Srivastav -- 10. Rasayana Therapy and Rejuvenation / Sanjeev Rastogi -- 11. Translational Effectiveness in Ayurvedic Medicine: Implications for Oral Biology and Medicine / Francesco Chiappelli -- pt. IV. Towards Future Perspectives of Evidence-Based Ayurveda -- 12. Safety Aspects of Ayurvedic Drugs / Arun Gupta -- 13. Toward Evidence-Based Practice of Ayurveda: Extrapolating the Challenges in the Current Decade / Sanjeev Rastogi.
- Fighting multidrug resistance with herbal extracts, essential oils and their components 2013, ScienceDirectFighting Multidrug Resistance with Herbal Extracts, Essential Oils and their Components offers scientists a single source aimed at fighting specific multidrug-resistant (MDR) microorganisms such as bacteria, protozoans, viruses and fungi using natural products. This essential reference discusses herbal extracts and essential oils used or under investigation to treat MDR infections, as well as those containing antimicrobial activity that could be of potential interest in future studies against MDR microorganisms. The need to combat multidrug-resistant microorganisms is an urgent one and this book provides important coverage of mechanism of action, the advantages and disadvantages of using herbal extracts, essential oils and their components and more to aid researchers in effective antimicrobial drug discovery . Addresses the need to develop safe and effective approaches to coping with resistance to all classes of antimicrobial drugs . Provides readers with current evidence-based content aimed at using herbal extracts and essential oils in antimicrobial drug development . Includes chapters devoted to the activity of herbal products against herpes, AIDS, tuberculosis, drug-resistant cancer cells and more.
- General introduction to traditional Chinese medicine 2010, CRCnetBASETheoretical system of TMC : formation and characters -- Clinical system of TCM : formation and development -- Basic features of TCM -- Philosophical foundation of TCM -- Model, method, and architecture of TCM.
- Gua sha. 2nd edition. 2013, ScienceDirect
- Handbook of medicinal herbs. 2nd ed. 2002, CRCnetBASEProvides up-to-date information on over 800 of the world's most important medicinal plant species. Includes color plates and over 200 black and white illustrations. Blending scientific fact with folk uses and the author's personal experience, Handbook of Medicinal Herbs, discusses the safety, efficacy, toxicity, and rational use of medicinal herbs.
- The first chapter describes the health care delivery systems in Canada and in the U.S. This is followed by examples of various approaches used to measure physiological variables in humans, either for the purpose of diagnosis or monitoring potential disease conditions; a brief description of sensor technologies is included. The function and role of the clinical engineer in managing medical technologies in industrialized and in developing countries are presented. This is followed by a chapter on patient safety (mainly electrical safety and electromagnetic interference); it includes a section on how to minimize liability and how develop a quality assurance program for technology management. The next chapter discusses applications of telemedicine, including technical, social, and ethical issues. The last chapter presents a discussion on the impact of technology on health care and the technology assessment process.
- Health care engineering. Part II, Research and development in the health care environment 2013, AtyponChapter 7 presents some statistics on the occurrence of medical errors and adverse events, and includes some technological solutions. A chapter on electronic medical records follows. The knowledge management process divided into four steps is described; this includes a discussion on data acquisition, storage, and retrieval. The next two chapters discuss the other three steps of the knowledge management process (knowledge discovery, knowledge translation, knowledge integration and sharing). The last chapter briefly discusses usability studies and clinical trials. The two parts consolidate material that supports courses on technology development and management issues in health care institutions. It can be useful for anyone involved in design, development, or research, whether in industry, hospitals, or government.
- Herbalism, phytochemistry, and ethnopharmacology 2011, CRCnetBASE
- Introduction -- Background and objectives of HTA -- Introduction to the speciality of homeopathy - principles and definition -- Homeopathy: Research and Research Problems (preclinical and clinical) -- General problems with clinical trials in research -- HTA Homeopathy: Methods and Material -- International Utilisation of Complementary Medical Approaches -- CAM Conditions and Use in Switzerland -- Overview of Systematic Reviews on the Clinical Efficacy of Homeopathy -- Clinical Studies on the Effectiveness of Homeopathy for URTI/A (Upper Respiratory Tract Infections and Allergic Reactions) -- Safety of Homeopathic Use -- Cost-effectiveness of Homeopathy -- Full discussion of the HTA results -- Synopsis.
- Integrating therapeutic and complementary nutrition 2007, CRCnetBASEFundamentals of integrative nutrition / Cynthia A. Thomson and Robert Lutz -- Ayurveda: the mother of traditional medicine / Mari Clements -- Pregnancy and lactation / Amy A. Drescher, Deborah Pesicka, and Judith Shabert -- Infant and child health / Lisbeth Benoit -- Adolescence / Mary Marian, Richard Wahl, and John D. Mark -- Women's health / Pamela Echeverria and Jyotsna Sahni -- Men's health / Aaron W. Crawford -- Skeletal system and joint health / Lisa High ... [et al.] -- Cardiovascular disease / Ellen Augur and Mary Atkinson -- Nervous system / Ame Golaszewski and Leo McCluskey -- Upper gastrointestinal system / Andrea Avery and Pamela Williams -- Promoting small and large bowel health / Susan Roberts and Mary Krystofiak Russell -- Liver disease / Roschelle Heuberger -- Nutrition and the pancreas / M. Patricia Fuhrman ... [et al.] -- Immune system / Ellyn Silverman ... [et al.] -- Renal nutrition / Margaret Furtado and Carlos DaSilva -- Respiratory health / Jennifer Doley, Richard Berry, and Mary Marian -- Ear health / Duke Johnson -- Skin health / Jennifer Doley and Joseph Genebriera.Fundamentals of integrative nutrition / Cynthia Thomson and Robert Lutz -- Ayurveda: the mother of traditional medicine / Mary Clements -- Pregnancy and lactation / Amy Drescher and Judith Shabert -- Infancy & childhood / Lisbeth Benoit and Pamela Williams -- Adolescence / Mary Marian, Richard Wahl, and John D. Mark -- Women's health / Pam Echeverria and Jotysna Sani -- Men's health / Aaron Crawford -- Skeletal & joint health / Lisa High ... [et al.] -- Cardiovascular health / Ellen Augur and Mary Atkinson -- Nervous system / Ame Golaszewski and Leo McCluskey -- Upper gastrointestinal health / Andrea Avery and Pamela Williams -- Diseases of the small and large bowel / Susan Roberts and Mary Russell -- Liver health / Roschelle Heuberger -- Nutrition and the pancreas / M. Patricia Fuhrman ... [et al.] -- The immune system / Ellyn Silverman ... [et al.] -- Renal health / Margaret Furtado and Carlos DaSilva -- Respiratory health / Richard Berry -- Ear health / Duke Johnson -- Skin health / Jennifer Doley and Joseph Genebriera.
- Integrative medicine. 3rd ed. 2012, MD ConsultPt. 1 Integrative medicine -- Philosophy of integrative medicine -- Creating optimal healing environments -- The healing encounter -- Pt. 2 Integrative approach to disease -- Affective disorders -- Depression -- Anxiety -- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder -- Autism spectrum disorder -- Insomnia -- Neurology -- Alzheimer disease -- Headache -- Peripheral neuropathy -- Multiple sclerosis -- Parkinson disease -- Infectious disease -- Otitis media -- Chronic sinusitis -- Viral upper respiratory infection -- HIV disease and AIDS -- Herpes simplex virus -- Chronic hepatitis - Urinary tract infection -- Recurrent yeast infections Lyme disease -- Cardiovascular disease -- Hypertension -- Hearat failure -- Coronary artery disease -- Peripheral vascular disease -- Arrhythmias -- Allergy intolerance -- Asthma -- The allergic patient -- Multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome - Metabolic endocrine disorders -- Insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome -- Type 2 diabetes -- Hypothroidism -- Hormone replacement in men -- Hormone replacement in women -- Polycystic ovarian syndrome -- Osteoporosis -- An integrative approach to obesity -- Dyslipidemias -- Gastroesophageal reflux disease -- Peptic ulcer disease - Cholelithiasis -- Recurring abdominal pain in pediatrics -- Constipation -- Autoimmune disorders --Fibromyalgia -- Chronic fatigue spectrum -- Rheumatoid arthritis --Inflammatory bowel disease -- Obstetrics gynecology -- Postdates pregnancy -- Labor pain management -- Nausea and vomiting in pregnancy -- Premenstrual syndrome -- Dysmenorrhea -- Uterine fibroids (Leiomyomata) -- Vaginal dryness --; Uroloogy -- Benign prostatic hyperplasia -- Urolithiasis -- Chronic prostatitis -- Erectile dysfunction -- Musculoskeletal Disorders -- Osteoarthritis -- Myofascial pain syndrome -- Chronic low back pain -- Neck pain -- Gout -- Carpal tunnel syndrom -- Epicondylitis -- Dermatology --Atopic dermatitis -- Psoriasis -- Urticaria -- Recurrent aphthous ulceration -- Seborrheic dermatitis -- Acne Vulgaris and acne rosacea -- Human papillomavirus and warts -- Cancer -- Breast cancer -- Lung cancer -- Prostate cancer -- Colorectal cancer -- Skin cancer -- End of life care -- Substance abuse -- Alcoholism and substance abuse -- Ophthalmology -- Cataracts -- Ade related macular degeneration -- Pt. 3 Tools for your practice -- Lifestyle -- Food intolerance and elimination diet -- The glycemic index load -- The antiinflammatory diet -- The DASH diet -- Writing an exercise prescription -- Breathing exercises -- Low back pain exercises -- Mind body -- Self hypnosis techniques -- Relaxatin techniques -- Enhancing heart rate variability -- Guided imagery and interactive guided imagery -- Journaling for health -- Healing through forgiveness -- recommending meditation -- Motivational interviewing -- Emotional awareness for pain -- energy psychology -- Biochemical -- Prescribing probiotics -- Prescribing botanicals -- Detoxification -- Integrative strategies for planetary health -- Biomechanical --; Counterstrain -- Acupuncture for headache -- Acupuncture for nausea and vomiting -- Saline nasal irrigation -- Bioenergetics -- Integrating spiritual assessment and care -- Therapeutic homeopathy -- Human energetic therapies -- Other therapeutic considerations -- Creating a greener clinic: the impact of global warming on health -- Creating ceremony and ritual in the medical encounter -- Appendix: laboratory testing resources in integrative medicine.
- Integrative therapies in lung health and sleep 2012, SpringerOverview of integrative therapies and healing practices -- Evaluation of integrative therapies for research and practice -- Integrative therapies in chronic pulmonary conditions -- Integrative therapies for people with asthma -- Integrative therapies for people with asthma -- Integrative therapies for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- Integrative therapies for people with interstitial lung disease, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, and pulmonary arterial hypertension -- Integrative therapies for people with cystic fibrosis -- Integrative therapies for people with lung cancer -- Integrative therapies for lung transplantation recipients -- Integrative therapies in critical care and sleep disorders -- Integrative therapies in the management of critically ill patients -- Integrative therapies to promote sleep in the intensive care unit -- Future application of integrative therapies for sepsis: bench and experimental animal models -- Integrative therapies to manage acute and chronic sleep disorders -- Integrative therapies to promote lung health -- Integrative therapies for tobacco cessation -- Integrative therapies to support palliative and end-of-life care in lung disease -- Whole medical systems in lung health and sleep: focus on traditional Chinese medicine -- Counseling patients with chronic lung disease: interdisciplinary strategies for reducing distress.
- K taping 2012, Springer
- Materia medica for various cancers 2012, Springer
- Materia medica of new and old homeopathic medicines 2012, Springer
- Neuroscience, consciousness and spirituality 2011, Springer"Neuroscience, Consciousness and Spirituality presents a variety of perspectives by leading thinkers on contemporary research into the brain, the mind and the spirit. This volumes aims at combining knowledge from neuroscience with approaches from the experiential perspective of the first person singular in order to arrive at an integrated understanding of consciousness. Individual chapters discuss new areas of research, such as near death studies and neuroscience research into spiritual experiences, and report on significant new theoretical advances. From Harald Walach's introductory essay, "Neuroscience, Consciousness, Spirituality--Questions, Problems and Potential Solutions," to the concluding chapter by Robert K. C. Foreman entitled "An Emerging New Model for Consciousness: The Consciousness Field Model," this book represents a milestone in the progress towards an integrated understanding of spirituality, neuroscience and consciousness. It is the first in a series of books that are dedicated to this topic."--Publisher's website.
- Nursing herbal medicine handbook. 3rd ed. 2006, Ovid
- Pathways of homoeopathic medicine 2011, Springer
- Pharmacodynamic basis of herbal medicine 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Pharmacodynamic basis of herbal medicine. 2nd ed. 2007, CRCnetBASE
- Pharmacology of Bombax ceiba Linn. 2012, Springer
- Phyllanthus species 2012, CRCnetBASE
- Pocket atlas of tongue diagnosis. 2nd ed. 2011, Thieme BookIn this fully up-to-date Second Edition, experts in Chinese medicine explain how traditional Chinese tongue diagnosis can be used in daily practice to complement conventional Western methods. The guide begins with a brief introduction to the history, anatomy, physiology, and methodology of tongue diagnosis followed by basic techniques and systematic procedures for identifying the manifold individual characteristics of the tongue's shape and its many modifications. Full-color photographs of tongues then demonstrate a variety of clinical scenarios to help readers develop a holistic approach to diagnosis.
- Primo vascular system 2012, Springer
- Pueraria 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Scientific basis for Ayurvedic therapies 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Signals and images 2008, Springer
- Spiritual care and therapy 2003, ebraryAnnotationPeter VanKatwyk explores spiritual care, from pastoral traditions to essential psychotherapies, in individual, couple, and family therapy, offering integrative perspectives. Therapy vignettes from multiple perspectives are included, as well as a wealth of diagrams and maps. His recognition of different helping relationships is an approach that acknowledges diversity and promotes the flexible use of multiple "selves" and their respective styles of care.
- Spirituality and health 2005, ebraryTowards a joint paradigm reconciling faith and research /Thomas St. James O'Connor and Elizabeth Meakes --A critical dialogue between theology and psychology /Paul J. Rennick --Assessing plurality in spirituality definitions /Pam McCarroll, Thomas St. James O'Connor, and Elizabeth Meakes --Spirituality and family medicine /Cheryl Levitt --Congregational life after abuse /Carol Penner --Islamic spiritual care in a health care setting /Nazila Isgandarova --Communication in spiritual care among people with dementia /Ellen Bouchard Ryan, Lori Schindel-Martin, and Amanda Beaman --Spirituality and addiction /Lori Edey --Spirituality in occupational therapy /Sue Baptiste --Using a labyrinth in spiritual care /Ingrid Bloos --A wholistic approach to healing : an individual, family, and community model /Calvin Morrisseau --Old religion, new spirituality, and health care /Carlton F. Brown --God-talk in the spiritual care of palliative patients /Colleen Lashmar --Measuring and assessing suffering in arthritic patients /Beverley Clarke ... [et al.] --Psychosomatics and the spiritual entities of the human psyche /Marie-Line Morin --Life-threatening illness : a dangerous opportunity /Beverly Musgrave --The neurobiology of consciousness and spiritual transformation in healing /Stephen M. Sagar.
- Supportive cancer care with Chinese medicine 2010, Springer
- Talking about spirituality in health care practice 2006, ebraryIntroduction : Finding a voice for the spirit -- Spirituality and the holistic approach -- Learning about spirituality in the multi-professional team -- Developing opportunities to talk about spirituality -- Understanding spirituality -- Spiritual care -- Outcomes and opportunities -- Conclusion : the journey continues.
- Teaching mindfulness 2010, SpringerPart I: Clinical and Cultural Context -- Chapter 1. Getting grounded (in our own instability) -- Chapter 2. A history exercise to locate "mindfulness" now -- Chapter 3. Building a "working" definition of mindfulness -- Part II: Authenticity, Authority, and Friendship -- Chapter 4. The Person of the Teacher -- Chapter 5. The skills of the teacher -- Part III: Towards an "Empty" Curriculum -- Chapter 6. Organizing the intentions of teaching -- Chapter 7. Fulfilling the intentions of teaching -- Chapter 8. Practices and resources.
- Therapy dogs in cancer care 2012, Springer
- Traditional medicinal plants and malaria 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Whole person care 2011, SpringerWhole Person Care / Tom A. Hutchinson -- Suffering, Whole Person Care, and the Goals of Medicine / Eric J. Cassell -- The Healing Journey / Tom A. Hutchinson, Balfour M. Mount and Michael Kearney -- The Challenge of Medical Dichotomies and the Congruent Physician-Patient Relationship in Medicine / Tom A. Hutchinson and James R. Brawer -- Separation-Attachment Theory in Illness and the Role of the Healthcare Practitioner / Gregory Fricchione -- Empathy, Compassion, and the Goals of Medicine / Stephen Liben -- Mindfulness and Whole Person Care / Patricia L. Dobkin -- Healing, Wounding, and the Language of Medicine / Abraham Fuks -- Death Anxiety: The Challenge and the Promise of Whole Person Care / Sheldon Solomon and Krista Lawlor -- Whole Person Self-Care: Self-Care from the Inside Out / Michael Kearney and Radhule Weininger -- Prevention and Whole Person Care / Tom A. Hutchinson -- Whole Person Care and Complementary and Alternative Therapies / Mary Grossman -- Spiritual Dimensions of Whole Person Care / Abdu'l-Missagh Ghadirian -- Whole Person Care and the Revolution in Genetics / David S. Rosenblatt and Jennifer Fitzpatrick -- Whole Person Care on a Busy Medical Ward / Gordon L. Crelinsten -- Teaching Whole Person Care in Medical School / Helen McNamara and J. Donald Boudreau -- Whole Person Care, Professionalism, and the Medical Mandate / Richard L. Cruess and Sylvia R. Cruess -- Whole Person Care: Conclusions / Tom A. Hutchinson.
- Yorb traditional healers of Nigeria 2003, CRCnetBASE
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
Shortcut for iPhone
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
Can't find it?
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Authors: Adrian M.K. Thomas, Arpan K. Banerjee