Books by Subject
Complementary and Alternative MedicineAccess restricted to Stanford unless otherwise noted
- Acupuncture for pain management 2014, SpringerAcupuncture for Pain Management is intended as the premier resource for learning the fundamentals of the art of medical acupuncture. Edited by top pain medicine specialists at Harvard and UCLA, and based on their popular annual workshop at the American Society for Anesthesiologists, the book is the perfect synthesis of Western and Chinese medicine. Anesthesiologists, pain medicine specialists, primary care physicians, osteopaths, neurologists, psychiatrists, physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists, and other health professionals looking to add acupuncture to their repertoire will benefit from the concise and practical approach of the book. Features: Each individual meridian discussed in detail Acupuncture for 25 clinical conditions, including headache, menstrual pain, low back pain, insomnia, and more Aimed at acupuncturists as well as practitioners who want to add acupuncture to their clinical armamentarium.
- Acupuncture therapy for neurological diseases 2010, Springer
- Acupuncture. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2014, CRCnetBASE"The Chinese are known to have practiced acupuncture for approximately 2,000 years. Designed specifically for health care practitioners, this book demystifies acupuncture and explains it in anatomical terms. New emphasis is made to differentiate traditional acupuncture in Oriental medicine from scientific acupuncture, which is based entirely on medical sciences. This edition is completely updated and presents the most current research. New material includes information on how to quantify pain and a new way to define acute and chronic pain"--Provided by publisher.
- Advances in natural medicines, nutraceuticals and neurocognition 2013, CRCnetBASEPt. 1. Methodologies to measure cognition in natural medicine trials -- pt. 2. Vitamins and nutrients -- pt. 3. Essential fatty acids and neurocognition -- pt. 4. Herbal medicines, nutraceuticals and neurocognition.
- Alternative and complementary therapies for cancer 2010, SpringerOverview of efficacy and limitation of standard and targeted therapy for malignant disease using lung cancer as a case study -- Overview of current TCM practice and potential impacts on conventional therapies -- Complementary and alternative medicine for cancer care in India: basic and clinical perspective -- Esophageal cancer -- Gastric cancer -- Colorectal cancer -- Liver cancer -- Pancreatic cancer -- Breast cancer -- Ovarian cancer -- Prostate cancer -- Kidney cancer -- Bladder cancer -- Brain cancer -- Complementary and alternative treatments for the management of cancer-related fatigue -- Complementary and alternative treatments for the management of cancer-related pain -- Challenges conducting clinical trials with herbal products in oncology -- Herbal product-drug interactions from a pharmacological perspective -- Patient-physician relationship: creating an optimal healing environment -- Legal issues in alternative treatment of cancer -- Intellectual property for alternative medicine -- Chemical-biology of natural products from medicinal plants for cancer therapy -- Flavonoids in cancer prevention and therapy: chemistry, pharmacology, mechanisms of action, and perspectives for cancer drug discovery -- Marine natural products and their synthetic derivatives for cancer therapy -- Natural product-like scaffolds for molecular dissection of macromolecular interactions and new therapeutic applications -- Mining natural product-derived molecules against cancer targets: the case of the androgen receptor in prostate cancer.
- The modern unhealthy diet and lifestyle in conjunction with pathogens, environmental carcinogens and multiple other risk factors increase humans' susceptibility to different diseases exemplified by elevated levels of cancers, cardiovascular and communicable diseases. Screening of potential drugs from medicinal plants and animals provides a promising strategy for the alleviation of the impact of these diseases. Components with potential medicinal applications include RIPs, RNases, lectins, protease inhibitors and numerous small compounds. These compounds have shown both preventive and therapeutic effects for humans. This book is a compilation of articles written by internationally renowned experts exploring the different uses of medicinal compounds in human therapeutics. Here we provide a comprehensive outlook on both qualitative and quantitative studies focusing on medicinal plants and animals, and establishing a link between laboratory research discovery and clinical applications.
- Auriculotherapy manual. Fourth edition. 2014, ScienceDirectOverview and history of auriculotherapy -- Theoretical perspectives of auriculotherapy -- Overview of the anatomy of the auricle -- Overview of the auricular zone system -- Overview of auricular diagnosis procedures -- Overview of auriculotherapy treatment procedures -- Somatotopic representations on the external ear -- Clinical case studies of auriculotherapy -- Auriculotherapy treatment protocols.
- Berries and cancer prevention 2011, Springer
- Biotherapy-- history, principles and practice 2013, SpringerBiotherapy, an introduction / John C.T. Church -- Maggot therapy / Ronald A. Sherman, Kosta Y. Mumcuoglu, Martin Grassberger and Tarek I. Tantawi -- Hirudotherapy / Olga S. Gileva and Kosta Y. Mumcuoglu -- Apitherapy -- Bee venom therapy / Christopher M.H. Kim -- Apitherapy -- the use of honeybee products / Theodore Cherbuliez -- Ichthyotherapy / Martin Grassberger and Ronald A. Sherman -- Helminth therapy / David E. Elliott, David I. Pritchard, and Joel V. Weinstock -- Phage therapy / Elizabeth M. Kutter, Guram Gvasalia, Zemphira Alavidze and Erin Brewster -- Animal-assisted therapy: benefits and challenges / Mary Cole and Maureen Howard -- Equine-assisted therapy: an overview / Nina Ekholm Fry -- Canine olfactory detection of human disease / Claire Guest.
- Century of homeopaths 2014, SpringerSamuel Hahnemann: Rebarbative Genius -- Women, Reform, and Medical Leadership -- The Homeopathic Scalpel: Contributions to Surgery from the World of Homeopathy -- Homeopaths and the Dawning of Anesthesiology -- Homeopathy and the Mind: From Alienists to Neuroscientists -- Public Health -- The Early Days of Radiation: Homeopathic Shadows -- Heartbeat, Heart Failure, and Homeopathy -- Allergy and Allergic Disorders: Homeopathic Leaders -- Academic Homeopaths Reinvented -- Oncology -- Other Stars in the Sky -- Congress, Parliament, Presidents, and Monarchs -- Bioethics and the Contributions of Otto Guttentag -- Less Is More: Finding the Right Dose -- A Homeopathic Rogues' Gallery -- Concluding Thoughts.
- Chinese and related North American herbs. 2nd ed. 2009, CRCnetBASEWith the addition of 130 herbs and 100 new references, the second edition provides a basic understanding of the science behind Chinese herbal preparations. Using the same format that made the first edition so popular, author Thomas Li provides a seamless integration of topics drawn from a diverse array of sources. The first table presents major constituents and therapeutic values of more than 1800 species. The data are arranged alphabetically by the Latin name followed by common Chinese and English names. Tables 2 and 3 present data on a total of 700 North American herbs belonging to the same species or genus as Chinese herbs, and a comparison of active ingredients and claimed therapeutic values. Appendices 1, 2, and 3 cross-reference Chinese and scientific names, and major active ingredients and their sources in the Chinese and North American herbs cited in the tables.
- Chinese herbal medicine 2005, CRCnetBASE
- Chromatographic fingerprint analysis of herbal medicines Vol. 1 /. 2nd, rev. and enl. ed. 2011, Springer
- Clinical handbook of mindfulness 2009, SpringerIntroduction: Where new and old paths to dealing with suffering meet /Fabrizio Didonna --Part 1. Theory, conceptualization, and phenomenology --Mindfulness : What is it? Where did it come from? /Ronald D. Siegel, Christopher K. Germer, and Andrew Olendzki --Mindfulness and meditation /Andrew Olendzki --The neurobiology of mindfulness /Michael T. Treadway and Sara W. Lazar --Toward a phenomenology of mindfulness : subjective experience and emotional correlates /Kirk Warren Brown and Shari Cordon --Part 2. Clinical applications : general issues, rationale, and phenomenology --Mindfulness and psychopathology : problem formulation /Nancy L. Kocovski, Zindel V. Segal, Susan R. Battista --Emotional memory, mindfulness and compassion /Paul Gilbert and Dennis Tirch --The use of metaphor to establish acceptance and mindfulness /Alethea A. Varra, Claudia Drossel, and Steven C. Hayes --Mindfulness and feelings of emptiness /Fabrizio Didonna and Yolanda Rosillo Gonzalez --Assessment of mindfulness /Ruth A. Baer, Erin Walsh, Emily L.B. Lykins --Part 3. Mindfulness-based interventions for specific disorders --Mindfulness and anxiety disorders : developing a wise relationship with the inner experience of fear /Jeffrey Greeson, Jeffrey Brantley --Mindfulness and obsessive-compulsive disorder : developing a way to trust and validate one's internal experience /Fabrizio Didonna --Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for depression and suicidality /Thorsten Barnhofer and Catherine Crane --Mindfulness and borderline personality disorder /Shireen L. Rizvi, Stacy Shaw Welch, and Sona Dimidjian --Mindfulness-based approaches to eating disorders /Ruth Q. Wolever and Jennifer L. Best --Paradise lost : mindfulness and addictive behavior /Thomas Bien --Mindfulness for trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder /Victoria M. Follette and Aditi Vijay --Mindful awareness and ADHD /L. Zylowska, S.L. Smalley, J.M. Schwartz --Mindfulness and psychosis /Antonio Pinto --Mindfulness-based stress reduction for chronic pain management /Jacqueline Gardner-Nix --Mindfulness-based interventions in oncology /Linda E. Carlson ... [et al.] --Part 4. Mindfulness-based interventions for specific settings and populations --Mindfulness-based intervention in an individual clinical setting : what difference mindfulness makes behind closed doors /Paul R. Fulton --Mindfulness with children : working with difficult emotions /Trudy A. Goodman and Susan Kaiser Greenland --Mindfulness-based elder care : communicating mindfulness to frail elders and their caregivers /Lucia McBee --Mindfulness-based interventions in an inpatient setting /Fabrizio Didonna --Training professionals in mindfulness : the heart of teaching /Susan Lesley Woods --Appendix A :Mindfulness practice /Thomas Bien and Fabrizio Didonna --Appendix B : Resources.
- Communicating with cancer patients 2014, CRCnetBASEDiagnosis and staging -- Primary treatment -- Communication within the context of multidisciplinary care -- Explaining follow-up -- Progression and terminal -- Explaining research -- Complementary and alternative medicines and integrative oncology.
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine for Prostate and Urologic Health is designed to capture and clinically review the comprehensive database of clinical research articles that support and do not support the utilization of a variety of dietary supplements and other complementary medicines that physicians are exposed to in their daily practice. This is a critical distinction between this book and any other Complementary & Alternative Medicine (CAM) books published to date. Each section of the book provides an easy to reference guide into the topic of interest for the individual that works in urology. The various sub-specialty groups in urology are adequately represented, which allows for a physician to rapidly and thoroughly investigate their topic of interest regardless of whether it is fertility, bladder cancer, or prostate disease. Rather than having to sort through the now thousands of articles published yearly on CAM in medicine, this volume focuses first on the specialty and secondarily how it compares to the overall CAM literature. Each chapter includes a summary page that will allow the physician a rapid review of the subject with a patient, colleague or student.
- Complementary and alternative medicine 2007, SpringerA context for thinking about complementary and alternative medicine and ethics / Lois Snyder -- Complementary and alternative medicine: history, definitions, and what is it today? / Richard J. Carroll -- Complementary and alternative medicine: the physician's ethical obligations / Wayne Vaught -- Advising patients about complementary and alternative medicine / Arti Prasad and Mariebeth B. Velásquez -- Patient and medical education on complementary and alternative medicine: sorting it out / Catherine Leffler -- Legal and risk management in complementary and alternative medicine / Michael H. Cohen -- Whose evidence, which methods? Ethical challenges in complementary and alternative medicine research / Jon Tilburt.
- Introduction -- Prevalence, cost, and patterns of use -- Contemporary approaches to evidence of treatment effectiveness : a context for CAM research -- Need for innovative designs in CAM (and conventional medicine) -- State of the emerging evidence -- An ethical framework for CAM research, practice, and policy -- Integration of CAM and conventional medicine -- Educational programs in CAM -- Dietary supplements -- Conclusion.
- Complementary and alternative therapies and the aging population 2009, ScienceDirectBotanical and marine oils for treatment of arthritis -- Prolotherapy for chronic musculoskeletal pain -- Soy and cognition in the aging population -- Valerian and other CAM botanicals in treatment of sleep disturbances -- Botanicals and nutrition in the treatment of epilepsy -- Ginkgo biloba extract in prevention of age-associated diseases in elderly population -- Policosanol to manage dyslipidemia in older adults -- Health promoting benefits of chamomile in the elderly population -- Bamboo extract in the prevention of diabetes and breast cancer -- Cranberry and other dietary supplements for the treatment of urinary tract infections in aging women -- Black cohosh: chemopreventive and anticancer potential -- Integrating comprehensive and alternative medicine into stroke -- Socioeconomic aspects of the use of complementary and alternative medicine -- Noni (Morinda citrifolia) fruit as a functional food and dietary supplement for an aging population -- Botanical treatment for polycystic ovary syndrome -- Eggs and health: nutrient sources and supplement carriers -- Berries and cancer -- Flavonoids and cardiovascular health -- Ibogaine and the treatment of opiate addiction -- The potential of caffine for the inhibition of cognitive decline in the aged -- Five or more servings of fruit and vegetables each day for better health! -- Medicinal uses of vinegar -- Health-promoting effects of grape bioactive phytochemicals -- Isoflavones made simple - agonist activity for the beta-type estrogen receptor may mediate their health benefits -- Signal therapy: propolis and pepper extracts as cancer therapeutics -- Health benefits of traditional culinary and medicinal Mediterranean plants -- Quercetin: a potential complementary and alternative cancer therapy.
- Complementary therapist's guide to red flags and referrals 2013, ScienceDirectUnique ready reference for all complementary medicine, massage,therapy and manual therapy practitioners and students alerting them to 'red flag' symptoms which should be referred for Western medical investigation or emergency medical treatment. When can a patient be safely reassured and when do they need further investigation or treatment? 'Red flags' are clinical signs that suggest a patient needs prompt investigation and treatment for a potentially dangerous situation. Therapists increasingly find themselves working alongside conventionally trained doctors and nurses and it is vital for them to understand conventional medical diagnoses, symptoms and treatments and, crucially, to recognise warning signs of serious disease. This is essential in order to be a safe practitioner. Clare Stephenson's The Complementary Therapist's Guide to Red Flags and Referrals meets this need by providing an easily accessible reference to 'red flag'symptoms, designed especially for therapists. It offers guidance on how best to respond to those symptoms and signs of disease which can be readily discerned through routine history taking and basic examination of the body. The guidance is in language which is accessible to therapists, and clear advice is offered on when to refer patients to conventional medicine practitioners and how to communicate with doctors when making a referral. Clinical syndromes which merit rapid response are summarised for ease of reference.
- Comprehensive treatment of chronic pain by medical, interventional, and integrative approaches 2013, SpringerPt. 1. Medical approaches -- Pt. 2. Interventional approaches: anatomy and physiology of pain -- Pt. 3. Interventional approaches: neural blockade and neurolysis blocks -- Pt. 4. Interventional approaches: neuromodulation -- Pt. 5. Integrative approaches.
- Current research in acupuncture 2013, SpringerAcupuncture Modulation of Neural Transmitters/Modulators /Jianfeng Liang and Ying Xia --Cellular Mechanisms in Acupuncture Points and Affected Sites /Wolfgang Schwarz and Quanbao Gu --Function of Collagen and Mast Cells in Acupuncture Points /Guanghong Ding, Di Zhang, Meng Huang, Lina Wang and Wei Yao --Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Basic Acupuncture Research /Florian Beissner --Chemical and Physical Characteristics of Moxibustion /Ling Zhao and Xueyong Shen --Acupuncture Treatment of Epilepsy /Dongman Chao and Ying Xia --Acupuncture Treatment for Parkinson's Disease /Tetsuya Asakawa and Ying Xia --Can Acupuncture Treat Alzheimer's Disease and Other Neurodegenerative Disorders? /Tetsuya Asakawa and Ying Xia --Acupuncture Therapy for Vascular Cognitive Impairment /Guoqiang Wen, Tao Liu, Shixiong Huang, Qiao Fu and Tao Chen, et al. --Acupuncture and Moxibustion for Antiaging /Huangan Wu --Development and Progression of Auricular Acupuncture as a Treatment for Anxiety and Pain /Shu-Ming Wang --Abdominal Acupuncture for Nerve Root Cervical Spondylosis /Xiangrui Wang and Yongjun Zheng --Electro-acupuncture Regulation of Central Monoamine Neurotransmitters in Ischaemia-Reperfusion /Mingshu Xu, Linbao Ge and Dan Zhao --Protective Effect of Acupuncture on Myocardium /Xianrui Wang and Yongjun Zheng --Acupuncture's Role in Cardiovascular Homeostasis /Peng Li, Stephanie C. Tjen-A-Looi and John C. Longhurst --Acupuncture in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Potential and Challenge /Yi Feng, Elisabet Stener-Victorin and Boying Chen --Auricular Acupuncture for Pain and Inflammation /Shi Ping Zhang, Wai Yeung Chung and Yi Jie Zhan --Glial-Neuronal Interactions in Electroacupuncture Analgesia /Hong Cao, Zhi-Qi Zhao, Gen-Cheng Wu and Yu-Qiu Zhang --Meridian-Viscera Correlationship /Yiping Zhou, Keming Wang, Ling Hu, Meiqi Zhou and Zijian Wu, et al. --Theory and Methodology of Evidence-Based Medicine in Acupuncture Research /Fanrong Liang, Tingting Ma, Wenjing Huang, Xi Wu and Ying Li, et al. --Chinese Medicine as a Model of System Biology: Diagnosis as the Foundation of Acupoint Selection /Henry Johannes Greten --Modernization of Acupuncture Using High-Tech Methods: Teleacupuncture Bridges Science and Practice /Gerhard Litscher --Future Research in Acupuncture: Better Design and Analysis for Novel and Valid Findings /Tetsuya Asakawa and Ying Xia.
- Edible medicinal and non-medicinal plants 2012-13, SpringerFulltext Vol. 2 SpringerFulltext Vol. 3 SpringerFulltext Vol. 4 SpringerFulltext Vol. 5 SpringerFulltext Vol. 6 SpringerV. 1. Fruits -- v. 2. Fruits -- v. 3. Fruits -- v. 4. Fruits.
- Encyclopedia of psychology and religion 2010, SpringerOffers a definitive and intellectually rigorous collection of psychological interpretations of the stories, rituals, motifs, symbols, doctrines, dogmas, and experiences of the world's religious and mythological traditions.
- Encyclopedia of traditional Chinese medicines 2011, Springerv. 1. Isolated compounds A-C -- v. 2. Isolated compunds D-G -- v. 3. Isolated compunds H-M -- v. 4. Isolated compunds N-S -- v. 4. Isolated compunds N-S -- v. 5. Isolated compunds T-Z, references, TCM plants and congeners -- v. 6. Indexes.
- Energy medicine East and West 2011, ScienceDirectQi in Asian medicine / Nancy N. Chen -- Flows and blockages in Rwandan ritual and notions of the body / Christopher C. Taylor -- Elemental souls and vernacular qi : some attributes of what moves us / David Mayor -- The anatomical foundations of qi / John L. Stump -- Qi in China's traditional medicine : the example of tuina / Kevin V. Ergil and Marc S. Micozzi -- Qi cultivation in qigong and taiji quan / Gideon Enz -- Qigong theory and research / Amy L. Ai -- The language of qi, quantum physics, and the superimplicate body / F. David Peat -- Qi and the frequencies of bioelectricity / Cyril W. Smith -- Systems theory : trapping and mapping healing with qi / Christopher Low -- The physiology of qi / Hakima Amri and Mones S. Abu-Asab -- Energy and medicine / John A. Ives and Wayne B. Jonas -- What does it mean to practice an energy medicine? / Claire M. Cassidy -- Evidencing energy : experiences in acupuncture and therapeutic bodywork (zero balancing) / Tim Newman -- Eight modalities for working with qi : chakra acupuncture, with qigong, meditation, and the five sources of energy / Gabriel Stux -- Ki in shiatsu / Patrizia Stefanini -- Bioelectricity and qi : a microcurrent approach / Darren Starwynn -- Energy psychology : working with mind-body synergy / Phil Mollon -- Craniosacral biodynamics / Franklyn Sills -- Qi in children / May Loo -- Qigong, taiji quan (tai chi) and HIV : the psychoneuroimmunology connection / Mary Lou Galantino and Laura Muscatello -- Energy-based therapies in neurology : the example of therapeutic touch / Eric Leskowitz -- Qi in chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia / Carolyn McMakin and Peter H. Fraser -- The electrical heart : energy in cardiac health and disease / Alan Watkins -- Themes of qi and a dozen definitions : content analysis and discussion / David Mayor and Marc S. Micozzi.
- Essential oil safety. Second edition. 2014, ScienceDirectIntroduction -- Essential oil composition -- Toxicity -- Kinetics and dosing -- The skin -- The respiratory system -- The cardiovascular system -- The urinary system -- The digestive system -- The nervous system -- The reproductive system -- Cancer and the immune system -- Essential oil profiles -- Constituent profiles -- General safety guidelines.
- Essentials of Chinese medicine. Vol. 1-3 v. 1-3, 2009., Springerv. 2, 2009 Springerv. 3, 2009 SpringerVolume 1. Foundations of Chinese Medicine -- Volume 2. Clinical Fundamentals in Chinese Medicine -- Volume 3. Essentials of the Clinical Specialties in Chinese Medicine.
- Ethnomedicine and drug discovery 2002, ScienceDirectTherapeutic agents from ethnomedicine / Maurice M Iwu -- Drugs from nature : past achievements, future prospects / Gordon M Cragg and David J Newman -- Natural products for high-throughput screening / Alan L Harvey -- Medical ethnobotanical research as a method to identify bioactive plants to treat infectious diseases / Thomas JS Carlson -- Development of HerbMed : an interactive, evidence-based herbal database / Jacqueline C Wootton -- Natural products : a continuing source of inspiration for the medicinal chemist / S Mbua Ngale Efange -- Integrating African ethnomedicine into primary healthcare : a framework for south-eastern Nigeria / Chioma Obijiofor -- Current initiatives in the protection of indigenous and local community knowledge : problems, concepts and lessons for the future / Robert Lettington -- Bioprospecting : using Africa's genetic resources as a new basis for economic development and regional cooperation / Anthony Onugu -- Balancing conservation with utilization : restoring populations of commercially valuable medicinal herbs in forests and agroforests / Richard A Cech -- Ethnomedicine of the Cherokee : historical and current applications / Jody E Noé --Traditional medicines and the new paradigm of psychotropic drug action / Elaine Elisabetsky -- Drug discovery through ethnobotany in Nigeria : some results / Joseph I Okogun --Plants, products and people : southern African perspectives / Nigel Gericke -- Development of antimalarial agents and drugs for parasitic infections based on leads from traditional medicine : the Walter Reed experience / Brian G Schuster -- Health foods in anti-aging therapy : reducers of physiological decline and degenerative diseases / Lisa Meserole -- Indigenous peoples and local communities embodying traditional lifestyles : definitions under Article 8 (j) of the Convention on Biological Diversity / Katy Moran -- Garcinia kola : a new look at an old adaptogenic agent / Maurice M Iwu, Angela Duncan Diop, Lisa Meserole and Chris O Okunji -- Linking intellectual property rights with traditional medicine / Michael A Gollin -- The use of conservation trust funds for sharing financial benefits in bioprospecting projects / Marianne Guerin-McManus, Kent C Nnadozie and Sarah A Laird -- The regulation of botanicals as drugs and dietary supplements in Europe / Joerg Gruenwald -- Regulation of herbal medicines in Nigeria : the role of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) / Gabriel E Osuide -- Considerations in the development of public standards for botanicals and their dosage forms / V Srini Srinivasan -- The Belize Ethnobotany Project : safeguarding medicinal plants and traditional knowledge in Belize / Michael J Balick, Rosita Arvigo, Gregory Shropshire, Jay Walker, David Campbell and Leopoldo Romero -- Ethnobotanical research into the 21st century / Susan Tarka Nelson-Harrison, Steven R King, Charles Limbach, Carey Jackson, Andrew Galiwango, Sirimani Kisingi Kato and BR Kanyerezi -- Ethnobotanical approach to pharmaceutical drug discovery : strengths and limitations / Maurice M Iwu.
- Evidence and rational based research on Chinese drugs 2013, Springer
- pt. I. Evidence-Based and Comparative Effectiveness Analysis -- 1. Fundamentals: Evidence-Based Practice in Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Perspectives, Protocols, Problems, and Potentials / Francesco Chiappelli -- pt. II. Evidence-Based Medicine and Ayurveda -- 2. Transforming Ayurveda: Stepping into the Realm of Evidence-Based Practice / Ram Harsh Singh -- 3. Diet and Nutrition Concepts in Ayurveda: Gleaming into Opportunities for Evidence-Based Applications in Health Care / Rajiv Rastogi -- 4. Clinical Evidence in the Tradition of Ayurveda / P. Ram Manohar -- 5. Evidence-Based Traditional Persian Medicine / Francesco Chiappelli -- pt. III. Substantiating Ayurvedic Theory and Practice Toward Evidence-Base -- 6. Prakriti Analysis in Ayurveda: Envisaging the Need of Better Diagnostic Tools / Sanjeev Rastogi -- 7. Panchakarma: Ayurvedic Detoxification and Allied Therapies---Is There Any Evidence? / Ingebritt Ziegler -- 8. Gut and Joint Interconnections: A Reappraisal to Ayurvedic Understanding of Joint Diseases / Ranjana Rastogi -- 9. Ayurvedic Approach to Cardiovascular Diseases: Delineating the Literary and Clinical Evidences / P.S. Srivastav -- 10. Rasayana Therapy and Rejuvenation / Sanjeev Rastogi -- 11. Translational Effectiveness in Ayurvedic Medicine: Implications for Oral Biology and Medicine / Francesco Chiappelli -- pt. IV. Towards Future Perspectives of Evidence-Based Ayurveda -- 12. Safety Aspects of Ayurvedic Drugs / Arun Gupta -- 13. Toward Evidence-Based Practice of Ayurveda: Extrapolating the Challenges in the Current Decade / Sanjeev Rastogi.
- Fighting multidrug resistance with herbal extracts, essential oils and their components 2013, ScienceDirectFighting Multidrug Resistance with Herbal Extracts, Essential Oils and their Components offers scientists a single source aimed at fighting specific multidrug-resistant (MDR) microorganisms such as bacteria, protozoans, viruses and fungi using natural products. This essential reference discusses herbal extracts and essential oils used or under investigation to treat MDR infections, as well as those containing antimicrobial activity that could be of potential interest in future studies against MDR microorganisms. The need to combat multidrug-resistant microorganisms is an urgent one and this book provides important coverage of mechanism of action, the advantages and disadvantages of using herbal extracts, essential oils and their components and more to aid researchers in effective antimicrobial drug discovery . Addresses the need to develop safe and effective approaches to coping with resistance to all classes of antimicrobial drugs . Provides readers with current evidence-based content aimed at using herbal extracts and essential oils in antimicrobial drug development . Includes chapters devoted to the activity of herbal products against herpes, AIDS, tuberculosis, drug-resistant cancer cells and more.
- Functional symptoms in pediatric disease 2014, SpringerMany children with medical conditions fail to improve despite physicians' best efforts. Sometimes, we ascribe this failure to lack of adherence to therapy, or to the severity of the condition. What we often fail to appreciate, however, is that sometimes the lack of improvement can be explained by the patients' psychological states. The first section of Functional Symptoms in Pediatric Disease: A Clinical Guide teaches children's health care providers to recognize functional symptoms that can complicate organic disease, as well as symptoms that are believed to be purely functional in origin. Literature reviews, case studies and quizzes are provided in each chapter, with video demonstrations included in some of the chapters. The second section of the book will help clinicians differentiate the patients for whom referral to a mental health provider is mandatory from those for whom other approaches may be useful. For the latter group, the book teaches clinicians to empower themselves by learning how to incorporate various therapies for functional disorders into their practice, including biofeedback, basic cognitive behavioral therapy techniques, hypnosis, acupressure, yoga and meditation. Practical strategies for obtaining training in these modalities are provided in the appendix. Useful for practicing clinicians including pediatricians, family practitioners, pediatric subspecialists, child psychiatrists, psychologists, other mental health care providers and practitioners of alternative and complementary medicine, Functional Symptoms in Pediatric Disease: A Clinical Guide is an important new book that will help children's health care providers consider the possible impact of functional contributions to the clinical presentation of their patients.
- General introduction to traditional Chinese medicine 2010, CRCnetBASEEstablished by the Western Han dynasty more than 2,000 years ago, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is currently finding increased acceptance. Explores the thinking behind TCM, its philosophy-based theory, and its cutting-edge uses in today's clinical practice. Complete with chapter outlines and ancillary material, this carefully designed guide brings a time-tested practice back to the future.
- Girl who spoke with pictures 2008, ebrary
- Gua sha. 2nd edition. 2013, ScienceDirect
- Handbook of African medicinal plants. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2014, CRCnetBASECatalog of major African medicinal plants -- Pharmacognostical profile of selected medicinal plants -- Healing and the African culture -- The African medicine man -- Medicinal plants and traditional healing methods.
- Handbook of medicinal herbs. 2nd ed. 2002, CRCnetBASEProvides up-to-date information on over 800 of the world's most important medicinal plant species. Includes color plates and over 200 black and white illustrations. Blending scientific fact with folk uses and the author's personal experience, Handbook of Medicinal Herbs, discusses the safety, efficacy, toxicity, and rational use of medicinal herbs.
- Healing gods 2013, OSOThis text tells the surprising story of how complementary and alternative medicine, CAM, entered biomedical and evangelical Christian mainstreams despite its roots in non-Christian religions and the lack of scientific evidence of its efficacy and safety.
- The first chapter describes the health care delivery systems in Canada and in the U.S. This is followed by examples of various approaches used to measure physiological variables in humans, either for the purpose of diagnosis or monitoring potential disease conditions; a brief description of sensor technologies is included. The function and role of the clinical engineer in managing medical technologies in industrialized and in developing countries are presented. This is followed by a chapter on patient safety (mainly electrical safety and electromagnetic interference); it includes a section on how to minimize liability and how develop a quality assurance program for technology management. The next chapter discusses applications of telemedicine, including technical, social, and ethical issues. The last chapter presents a discussion on the impact of technology on health care and the technology assessment process.
- Health care engineering. Part II, Research and development in the health care environment 2013, AtyponChapter 7 presents some statistics on the occurrence of medical errors and adverse events, and includes some technological solutions. A chapter on electronic medical records follows. The knowledge management process divided into four steps is described; this includes a discussion on data acquisition, storage, and retrieval. The next two chapters discuss the other three steps of the knowledge management process (knowledge discovery, knowledge translation, knowledge integration and sharing). The last chapter briefly discusses usability studies and clinical trials. The two parts consolidate material that supports courses on technology development and management issues in health care institutions. It can be useful for anyone involved in design, development, or research, whether in industry, hospitals, or government.
- Herbal drugs and fingerprints 2012, Springer
- Herbalism, phytochemistry, and ethnopharmacology 2011, CRCnetBASE
- Introduction -- Background and objectives of HTA -- Introduction to the speciality of homeopathy - principles and definition -- Homeopathy: Research and Research Problems (preclinical and clinical) -- General problems with clinical trials in research -- HTA Homeopathy: Methods and Material -- International Utilisation of Complementary Medical Approaches -- CAM Conditions and Use in Switzerland -- Overview of Systematic Reviews on the Clinical Efficacy of Homeopathy -- Clinical Studies on the Effectiveness of Homeopathy for URTI/A (Upper Respiratory Tract Infections and Allergic Reactions) -- Safety of Homeopathic Use -- Cost-effectiveness of Homeopathy -- Full discussion of the HTA results -- Synopsis.
- Honey in traditional and modern medicine 2014, CRCnetBASECh. 1. Honey : an ethnomedicine / Yuva Bellik and Lad̐ Boukra ́-- ch. 2. Honey in Ayurvedic medicine / Surya Prakash and Ratna Rao -- ch. 3. Biochemistry and physicochemical properties of honey / Sevgi Kolayli ... [et al.] -- ch. 4. Healing properties of honey / Lad̐ Boukra ́-- ch. 5. Importance of botanical origin of honeys / Sad́ Aissat and Hama Benbarek -- ch. 6. Leptospermum (Manuka) honey : accepted natural medicine / Yasmina Sultanbawa -- ch. 7. Honey in burn and wound management / Lad̐ Boukra ́-- ch. 8. Honey for gastrointestinal disorders / Fatiha Abdellah and Leila Ait Abderrahim -- ch. 9. Honey for cardiovascular diseases / Tahira Farooqui and Akhlaq A. Farooqui -- ch. 10. Honey for diabetic ulcers / Hasan Ali Alzahrani -- ch. 11. Honey in pediatrics / Juraj Majtan -- ch. 12. Honey and cancer : a sustainable parallel relationship particularly for developing nations / Nor Hayati Othman -- ch. 13. Honey and bee products for animal health and wellness / Lad̐ Boukra ́-- ch. 14. Honey-based formulations and drug purposes / Sad́ Aissat ... [et al.] -- ch. 15. Modern methods of analysis applied to honey / Satyajit D. Sarker and Lutfun Nahar -- ch. 16. Mad honey : the reality / Abd¿lkadir Gunduz and Faik Ahmet Ayaz -- ch. 17. Honey as a nutrient / Md. Ibrahim Khalil and Nadia Alam -- ch. 18. Honey in the food industry / Yuva Bellik and Mokrane Iguerouada -- ch. 19. Culinary uses of honey / Oktay Yildiz, H¿seyin Sahin, and Sevgi Kolayli.
- Integrating therapeutic and complementary nutrition 2007, CRCnetBASEFundamentals of integrative nutrition / Cynthia A. Thomson and Robert Lutz -- Ayurveda: the mother of traditional medicine / Mari Clements -- Pregnancy and lactation / Amy A. Drescher, Deborah Pesicka, and Judith Shabert -- Infant and child health / Lisbeth Benoit -- Adolescence / Mary Marian, Richard Wahl, and John D. Mark -- Women's health / Pamela Echeverria and Jyotsna Sahni -- Men's health / Aaron W. Crawford -- Skeletal system and joint health / Lisa High ... [et al.] -- Cardiovascular disease / Ellen Augur and Mary Atkinson -- Nervous system / Ame Golaszewski and Leo McCluskey -- Upper gastrointestinal system / Andrea Avery and Pamela Williams -- Promoting small and large bowel health / Susan Roberts and Mary Krystofiak Russell -- Liver disease / Roschelle Heuberger -- Nutrition and the pancreas / M. Patricia Fuhrman ... [et al.] -- Immune system / Ellyn Silverman ... [et al.] -- Renal nutrition / Margaret Furtado and Carlos DaSilva -- Respiratory health / Jennifer Doley, Richard Berry, and Mary Marian -- Ear health / Duke Johnson -- Skin health / Jennifer Doley and Joseph Genebriera.Fundamentals of integrative nutrition / Cynthia Thomson and Robert Lutz -- Ayurveda: the mother of traditional medicine / Mary Clements -- Pregnancy and lactation / Amy Drescher and Judith Shabert -- Infancy & childhood / Lisbeth Benoit and Pamela Williams -- Adolescence / Mary Marian, Richard Wahl, and John D. Mark -- Women's health / Pam Echeverria and Jotysna Sani -- Men's health / Aaron Crawford -- Skeletal & joint health / Lisa High ... [et al.] -- Cardiovascular health / Ellen Augur and Mary Atkinson -- Nervous system / Ame Golaszewski and Leo McCluskey -- Upper gastrointestinal health / Andrea Avery and Pamela Williams -- Diseases of the small and large bowel / Susan Roberts and Mary Russell -- Liver health / Roschelle Heuberger -- Nutrition and the pancreas / M. Patricia Fuhrman ... [et al.] -- The immune system / Ellyn Silverman ... [et al.] -- Renal health / Margaret Furtado and Carlos DaSilva -- Respiratory health / Richard Berry -- Ear health / Duke Johnson -- Skin health / Jennifer Doley and Joseph Genebriera.
- Integrative medicine. 3rd ed. 2012, MD ConsultPt. 1 Integrative medicine -- Philosophy of integrative medicine -- Creating optimal healing environments -- The healing encounter -- Pt. 2 Integrative approach to disease -- Affective disorders -- Depression -- Anxiety -- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder -- Autism spectrum disorder -- Insomnia -- Neurology -- Alzheimer disease -- Headache -- Peripheral neuropathy -- Multiple sclerosis -- Parkinson disease -- Infectious disease -- Otitis media -- Chronic sinusitis -- Viral upper respiratory infection -- HIV disease and AIDS -- Herpes simplex virus -- Chronic hepatitis - Urinary tract infection -- Recurrent yeast infections Lyme disease -- Cardiovascular disease -- Hypertension -- Hearat failure -- Coronary artery disease -- Peripheral vascular disease -- Arrhythmias -- Allergy intolerance -- Asthma -- The allergic patient -- Multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome - Metabolic endocrine disorders -- Insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome -- Type 2 diabetes -- Hypothroidism -- Hormone replacement in men -- Hormone replacement in women -- Polycystic ovarian syndrome -- Osteoporosis -- An integrative approach to obesity -- Dyslipidemias -- Gastroesophageal reflux disease -- Peptic ulcer disease - Cholelithiasis -- Recurring abdominal pain in pediatrics -- Constipation -- Autoimmune disorders --Fibromyalgia -- Chronic fatigue spectrum -- Rheumatoid arthritis --Inflammatory bowel disease -- Obstetrics gynecology -- Postdates pregnancy -- Labor pain management -- Nausea and vomiting in pregnancy -- Premenstrual syndrome -- Dysmenorrhea -- Uterine fibroids (Leiomyomata) -- Vaginal dryness --; Uroloogy -- Benign prostatic hyperplasia -- Urolithiasis -- Chronic prostatitis -- Erectile dysfunction -- Musculoskeletal Disorders -- Osteoarthritis -- Myofascial pain syndrome -- Chronic low back pain -- Neck pain -- Gout -- Carpal tunnel syndrom -- Epicondylitis -- Dermatology --Atopic dermatitis -- Psoriasis -- Urticaria -- Recurrent aphthous ulceration -- Seborrheic dermatitis -- Acne Vulgaris and acne rosacea -- Human papillomavirus and warts -- Cancer -- Breast cancer -- Lung cancer -- Prostate cancer -- Colorectal cancer -- Skin cancer -- End of life care -- Substance abuse -- Alcoholism and substance abuse -- Ophthalmology -- Cataracts -- Ade related macular degeneration -- Pt. 3 Tools for your practice -- Lifestyle -- Food intolerance and elimination diet -- The glycemic index load -- The antiinflammatory diet -- The DASH diet -- Writing an exercise prescription -- Breathing exercises -- Low back pain exercises -- Mind body -- Self hypnosis techniques -- Relaxatin techniques -- Enhancing heart rate variability -- Guided imagery and interactive guided imagery -- Journaling for health -- Healing through forgiveness -- recommending meditation -- Motivational interviewing -- Emotional awareness for pain -- energy psychology -- Biochemical -- Prescribing probiotics -- Prescribing botanicals -- Detoxification -- Integrative strategies for planetary health -- Biomechanical --; Counterstrain -- Acupuncture for headache -- Acupuncture for nausea and vomiting -- Saline nasal irrigation -- Bioenergetics -- Integrating spiritual assessment and care -- Therapeutic homeopathy -- Human energetic therapies -- Other therapeutic considerations -- Creating a greener clinic: the impact of global warming on health -- Creating ceremony and ritual in the medical encounter -- Appendix: laboratory testing resources in integrative medicine.
- Integrative pediatric oncology 2012, SpringerThis practice-oriented handbook covers complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) practices in pediatric oncology worldwide, with a focus on methods used in Western countries. Provides a road map for establishing integrative pediatric oncology worldwide.
- Integrative therapies in lung health and sleep 2012, SpringerOverview of integrative therapies and healing practices -- Evaluation of integrative therapies for research and practice -- Integrative therapies in chronic pulmonary conditions -- Integrative therapies for people with asthma -- Integrative therapies for people with asthma -- Integrative therapies for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- Integrative therapies for people with interstitial lung disease, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, and pulmonary arterial hypertension -- Integrative therapies for people with cystic fibrosis -- Integrative therapies for people with lung cancer -- Integrative therapies for lung transplantation recipients -- Integrative therapies in critical care and sleep disorders -- Integrative therapies in the management of critically ill patients -- Integrative therapies to promote sleep in the intensive care unit -- Future application of integrative therapies for sepsis: bench and experimental animal models -- Integrative therapies to manage acute and chronic sleep disorders -- Integrative therapies to promote lung health -- Integrative therapies for tobacco cessation -- Integrative therapies to support palliative and end-of-life care in lung disease -- Whole medical systems in lung health and sleep: focus on traditional Chinese medicine -- Counseling patients with chronic lung disease: interdisciplinary strategies for reducing distress.
- Integrative treatment of hypertension 2014, CRCnetBASE"This book provides practical hands-on advice on the use of alternative methods of hypertension treatment. It describes mechanisms of high blood pressure and hypertension, common causes of hypertension, and standard medications used to treat the disease and their side effects. The book details alternative methods of treating hypertension, emphasizing their mechanisms of action, similarities to standard medications, and practical implementation advice. Finally, it outlines guidelines for blood pressure goals, categorizes each treatment as medicine or alternative, and suggests ways of implementing an integrative approach to hypertension treatment"--Provided by publisher.
- Juzen-taiho-to (si-quan-da-bu-tang) 2005, CRCnetBASE
- K taping 2012, Springer
- Materia medica for various cancers 2012, Springer
- Materia medica of new and old homeopathic medicines 2012, Springer
- Medicinal plant research in Africa 2013, ScienceDirect1. Monoterpenes and related compounds from the medicinal plants of Africa / Michel Kenne Tchimene [and three others] -- 2. Sesquiterpenes from the medicinal plants of Africa / Maurice D. Awouafack [and three others] -- 3. Diterpenoids from the medicinal plants of Africa / Louis Pergaud Sandjo and Victor Kuete -- 4. Triterpenes and steroids from the medicinal plants of Africa / Louis Pergaud Sandjo and Victor Kuete -- 5. Essential oils from the medicinal plants of Africa / Oladipupo A. Lawal and Isiaka A. Ogunwande -- 6. Simple phenols, phenolic acids, and related esters from the medicinal plants of Africa / Guy B. Kougan [and three others] -- 7. Phenylpropanoids and related compounds from the medicinal plants of Africa / Victor Kuete -- 8. Coumarins and related compounds from the medicinal plants of Africa / Herve Martial Poumale Poumale [and four others] -- 9. Flavonoids and related compounds from the medicinal plants of Africa / Bathelemy Ngameni [and nine others] -- 10. Quinones and benzophenones from the medicinal plants of Africa / Kenneth O. Eyong, Victor Kuete and Thomas Efferth -- 11. Xanthones and anthranoids from the medicinal plants of Africa / Ofentse Mazimba [and three others] -- 12. Lignans and stilbenes from African medicinal plants / Apollinaire Tsopmo, Francis M. Awah and Victor Kuete -- 13. Tannins and related compounds from medicinal plants of Africa / Abdelaaty A. Shahat and Mohamed S. Marzouk -- 14. Alkaloids from the medicinal plants of Africa / Jean Duplex Wansi [and three others] -- 15. Ceramides, cerebrosides, and related long chains containing derivatives from the medicinal plants of Africa / Louis Pergaud Sandjo and Victor Kuete -- 16. Antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral activities of African medicinal plants / Ashwell R. Ndhlala [and five others] -- 17. Antimalarial and other antiprotozoal products from African medicinal plants / Denis Zofou, Victor Kuete and Vincent P.K. Titanji -- 18. Antiproliferative potential of African medicinal plants / Victor Kuete, Katrin Viertel and Thomas Efferth -- 19. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of African medicinal plants / Christian Agyare [and three others] -- 20. Antidiabetes activity of African medicinal plants / Roland N. Ndip, Nicoline F. Tanih and Victor Kuete -- 21. Antioxidant activity of African medicinal plants / Mikhail Olugbemiro Nafiu, Musa Oyewole Salawu and Mutiu Idowu Kazeem -- 22. African medicinal plants acting on the reproductive, cardiovascular, and central nervous systems / Emmanuel Mouafo Tekwu, Veronique Penlap Beng and Victor Kuete -- 23. Legislation on medicinal plants in Africa / Mainen Julius Moshi and Paulo Peter Mhame -- 24. Medicinal plants market and industry in Africa / Jean P. Dzoyem, Emmanuel Tshikalange and Victor Kuete.
- Medicinal plants of China, Korea, and Japan 2012, CRCnetBASE
- Modern computational approaches meets traditional Chinese medicine 2012, ScienceDirect
- Molecular pharmacognosy 2013, Springer"This book reviews the latest developments in pharmacognosy, introduces a series of new views and insights, presents the hotspots and focus of the field of study on molecular pharmacognosy, and predicts a new direction of study on the resource science of TCM. Furthermore, the book also provides an open communications platform for the development of molecular pharmacognosy."--Publisher.
- Muscle test handbook 2013, ScienceDirectEspecially prepared for the international audience, the English language edition of this highly successful handbook describes Professional Applied Kinesiology muscle testing procedures. A departure from the classic understanding of muscle testing for weakness and rehabilitation, these procedures can be used for detecting more subtle, functional abnormalities. Included within the chapters are stretch tests and post-isometric relaxation procedures for the hypertonic, shortened muscle. Muscle anatomy and physiology are briefly recapped in order to enhance reader comprehension. The Muscle Testing Handbook describes testing procedures for almost 100 individual muscles in a unique, quick reference, template approach. In close collaboration with Dr. Garten, the German edition has been adapted for the English-language audience by Dr. Shafer, an American chiropractic colleague. This book is ideal for use by manual therapists, physiotherapists, osteopaths, chiropractors, sports scientists and neurology department staff worldwide. Clearly describes modern muscle test procedures The individual aspects of each muscle are easily compared by the use of well-illustrated templated descriptions A double-page spread design allows the reader a rapid, at-a-glance access to essential information Muscle anatomy and function are succinctly recapped in order to facilitate a complete understanding of the relevance and applicability of the individual test Classic Applied Kinesiology muscle tests for detecting functional abnormalities are well described along with stretch testing and post-isometric relaxation procedures for hypertonic, shortened muscles The importance of postural analysis for the assessment of specific muscle dysfunction is discussed and plainly described Illustrates painful spondylogenic reflex points (areas) for each muscle The role of distal acupuncture points and tendinomuscular meridians in maintaining normal muscle and muscle chain function are noted in accompanying diagrams The most commonly found trigger points, their referred pain patterns and relationship to nearby acupuncture points are clearly illustrated for each muscle Perfect for use in orthopaedics, neurology, general medicine, physiotherapy, chiropractic and osteopathy.
- Music that works 2009, SpringerIntroduction : music that works /Roland Haas --Sonification : listen to brain activity /Gerald Baier, Thomas Hermann --Chronobiology, as a foundation for and an approach to a new understanding of the influence of music /Hans-Ullrich Balzer --Music as medicine : incorporating scalable music-based interventions into standard medical practice /Vera Brandes --A perspective on evidence-based practice /Cheryl Dileo, Joke Bradt --The audio-vocal system in song and speech development /Wilfried Gruhn --The significance of exposure to music for the formation and stabilisation of complex neuronal relationship matrices in the human brain : implications for the salutogenetic effects of intervention by means of music theory /Gerald Hüther --Music and the self /Petr Janata --Neural substrates of processing syntax and semantics in music /Stefan Koelsch --A city upon a hill : making scientific progress in brain-based music research in typical development, autism, and other disorders /Nicolas Lange, Janet E. Lainhart --The rhythm of the heart, the tempus of music : Mozart, Ligeti, and the rat /Björn Lemmer --Music and child neurology : a developmental perspective /Luisa Lopez --Prenatal "experience" and the phylogenesis and ontogenesis of music /Richard Parncutt --Music and the evolution of human brain function /Juan G. Roederer --Clinical applications of music therapy in neurologic rehabilitation /Concetta M. Tomaino --Human biochronology : on the source and functions of "musicality" /Colwyn Trevarthen --A study of synchronisation behaviour in a group of test persons during Basky and Dhikr exercises via psycho-physiological monitoring /Gerhard Tucek, Elisabeth Ferstl, Florentina Maria Fritz --Resonance and silence : the significance in medicine /Rolf Verres --Emotion modulation by means of music and coping behaviour /Richard von Georgi, Miriam Göbel, Stefan Gebhardt --Identifying the effectiveness of a music-based auditory stimulation method, on children with sensory integration and auditory processing concerns : a pilot study /John Esteves ... [et al.] --Music as a medicine : incorporating music into standard hospital care /Vera Brandes.
- Natural products and cancer drug discovery 2013, SpringerPart 1.Natural Product Drugs and Cancer Therapeutics --The Impact of Natural Products Upon Cancer Chemotherapy /A. Ganesan --Identification and Development of Vascular Disrupting Agents: Natural Products That Interfere with Tumor Growth /Andrea T. Hooper, Frank Loganzo, Chad May and Hans-Peter Gerber --Discodermolide: Past, Present, and Future /Ross E. Longley --HDAC Inhibitors and Other Histone Modifying Natural Products as Emerging Anticancer Agents /Lilibeth A. Salvador and Hendrik Luesch --Natural Product Cytotoxins as Payloads for Antibody Drug Conjugates /Frank E. Koehn --Part 2.Advances in Natural Product Cancer Drug Discovery --Natural Product Scaffolds in Cancer Therapy /Christian P. Mang and Lars Ole Haustedt --The Role of Genetic Engineering in Natural Product-Based Anticancer Drug Discovery /Claudia Eva-Maria Unsin, Scott R. Rajski and Ben Shen --Accessing Anti-cancer Natural Products by Plant Cell Culture /Lisa M. Leone and Susan C. Roberts --Natural Products as Tools for Discovering New Cancer Targets /John A. Beutler.
- Naturally based biomaterials and therapeutics 2013, SpringerThis book advances biomedical innovations to address the plethora of health problems afflicting the developing world. A panoply of cultural, economic, infrastructural, and other factors prevent many interventions currently popular in the developed world from being similarly effective in the developing world. This book discusses less-traditional approaches, such as naturally based biomaterials and therapeutics, an area that has traditionally been overlooked but has also demonstrated impressive potential for health applications in recent years. This book explores precisely the kinds of applications which can enable countries like India to access more effective, inexpensive treatments while also taking more ownership of their healthcare technologies and innovations.
- Neuroscience, consciousness and spirituality 2011, Springer"Neuroscience, Consciousness and Spirituality presents a variety of perspectives by leading thinkers on contemporary research into the brain, the mind and the spirit. This volumes aims at combining knowledge from neuroscience with approaches from the experiential perspective of the first person singular in order to arrive at an integrated understanding of consciousness. Individual chapters discuss new areas of research, such as near death studies and neuroscience research into spiritual experiences, and report on significant new theoretical advances. From Harald Walach's introductory essay, "Neuroscience, Consciousness, Spirituality--Questions, Problems and Potential Solutions," to the concluding chapter by Robert K. C. Foreman entitled "An Emerging New Model for Consciousness: The Consciousness Field Model," this book represents a milestone in the progress towards an integrated understanding of spirituality, neuroscience and consciousness. It is the first in a series of books that are dedicated to this topic."--Publisher's website.
- Nursing herbal medicine handbook. 3rd ed. 2006, Ovid
- Pathways of homoeopathic medicine 2011, Springer
- Pharmacodynamic basis of herbal medicine 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Pharmacodynamic basis of herbal medicine. 2nd ed. 2007, CRCnetBASE
- Pharmacology of Bombax ceiba Linn. 2012, Springer
- Phyllanthus species 2012, CRCnetBASE
- Phytochemicals 2013, CRCnetBASE"An examination of foods, botanicals, and phytochemicals as they relate to the prevention of age-related chronic diseases, this book discusses herbs and spices in cancer prevention; wine, phenolics, and cancer; anthocyanins in cardiovascular health; anti-inflammatories; skin photoprotection; beny phytochemicals; green tea catechins; and cognitive function in the elderly. The book begins with an overview of phytonutrients in human health and disease, and covers chronic disease prevention, bone and joint health, skin health, obesity and metabolism, and brain health. The final chapter describes an analytical technique 'proving very powerful in phytonutrient research in humans"--Provided by publisher.
- Pilates - a teachers' manual 2014, Springer"Millions of people use Pilates training to improve health and fitness, or regain movement capability following injury or disease. Competent, professional support from physiotherapists, sports teachers and trainers is of vital importance for every client or patient. "Pilates: A teachers' manual“ provides you, as a professional, with fundamental teaching structures and practical guidelines. The concepts which characterized the traditional approach to Pilates are combined with the evolved methods of modern Pilates training, and backed up by current findings in sports science and kinesiology."--Publisher's website.
- Pocket atlas of Chinese medicine 2009, Thieme BookHistory / Marnae C. Ergil -- Fundamental theory of Chinese medicine / Kevin V. Ergil -- Diagnosis in Chinese medicine / Kevin V. Ergil -- Acupuncture / Marnae C. Ergil -- Tui na / Michael McCarthy and Kevin V. Ergil -- Traditional Chinese pharmacotherapy / Simon Becker -- Chinese dietetic / Mary Garvey -- Qi gong / Anne Reinard and Yves Réquéna -- Tai ji quan / Douglas Wile -- Acupuncture research : an overview / Stephen Birch.
- Pocket atlas of tongue diagnosis. 2nd ed. 2011, Thieme BookIn this fully up-to-date Second Edition, experts in Chinese medicine explain how traditional Chinese tongue diagnosis can be used in daily practice to complement conventional Western methods. The guide begins with a brief introduction to the history, anatomy, physiology, and methodology of tongue diagnosis followed by basic techniques and systematic procedures for identifying the manifold individual characteristics of the tongue's shape and its many modifications. Full-color photographs of tongues then demonstrate a variety of clinical scenarios to help readers develop a holistic approach to diagnosis.
- Primo vascular system 2012, Springer
- Principles and practice of phytotherapy. 2nd ed. 2013, ScienceDirectMachine generated contents note: pt. ONE Background and strategies -- 1.Herbal therapeutic systems -- 2.Principles of herbal pharmacology -- 3.Principles of herbal treatment -- 4.Validating herbal therapeutics -- 5.Optimising safety -- pt. TWO Practical clinical guides -- 6.Dosage and dosage forms in herbal medicine -- 7.A systematic approach to herbal prescribing -- 8.Herbal approaches to pathological states -- Topical applications -- Fever -- Infectious diseases -- Inflammatory and autoimmune diseases -- Fatigue and debility -- Malignant diseases -- 9.Herbal approaches to system dysfunctions -- Digestive system and bowel -- Biliary system -- The liver -- Cardiovascular system -- Respiratory system -- Urinary system -- Nervous system -- Female reproductive system -- Joint diseases -- Skin diseases -- Male reproductive system -- Endocrine disorders -- pt. THREE Materia Medica -- 10.How to use the monographs -- Andrographis -- Arnica flowers -- Astragalus -- Bearberry --Contents note continued: Berberis bark and Hydrastis root -- Bilberry fruit -- Black cohosh -- Boswellia -- Buchu -- Bugleweed and European bugleweed -- Bupleurum -- Butcher's broom -- Chamomile, German -- Chaste tree -- Chelidonium -- Devil's claw -- Dong quai -- Echinacea root -- Evening primrose oil -- Eyebright -- Fennel fruit -- Feverfew -- Ginger -- Ginkgo -- Ginseng -- Globe artichoke -- Gotu kola -- Hawthorn -- Horsechestnut seed -- Kava -- Licorice -- Meadowsweet -- Melilotus -- Myrrh -- Nettle -- Pau d'arco -- Peppermint -- Poke root -- Rehmannia -- Saw palmetto -- Siberian ginseng -- St John's wort -- St Mary's thistle -- Thyme -- Tribulus leaf -- Turmeric -- Valerian -- Willow bark -- Witchhazel -- Withania.
- Pueraria 2002, CRCnetBASE
- Scientific basis for Ayurvedic therapies 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Signals and images 2008, Springer
- Spirituality and health 2005, ebraryTowards a joint paradigm reconciling faith and research /Thomas St. James O'Connor and Elizabeth Meakes --A critical dialogue between theology and psychology /Paul J. Rennick --Assessing plurality in spirituality definitions /Pam McCarroll, Thomas St. James O'Connor, and Elizabeth Meakes --Spirituality and family medicine /Cheryl Levitt --Congregational life after abuse /Carol Penner --Islamic spiritual care in a health care setting /Nazila Isgandarova --Communication in spiritual care among people with dementia /Ellen Bouchard Ryan, Lori Schindel-Martin, and Amanda Beaman --Spirituality and addiction /Lori Edey --Spirituality in occupational therapy /Sue Baptiste --Using a labyrinth in spiritual care /Ingrid Bloos --A wholistic approach to healing : an individual, family, and community model /Calvin Morrisseau --Old religion, new spirituality, and health care /Carlton F. Brown --God-talk in the spiritual care of palliative patients /Colleen Lashmar --Measuring and assessing suffering in arthritic patients /Beverley Clarke ... [et al.] --Psychosomatics and the spiritual entities of the human psyche /Marie-Line Morin --Life-threatening illness : a dangerous opportunity /Beverly Musgrave --The neurobiology of consciousness and spiritual transformation in healing /Stephen M. Sagar.
- Supportive cancer care with Chinese medicine 2010, Springer
- Talking about spirituality in health care practice 2006, ebraryIntroduction : Finding a voice for the spirit -- Spirituality and the holistic approach -- Learning about spirituality in the multi-professional team -- Developing opportunities to talk about spirituality -- Understanding spirituality -- Spiritual care -- Outcomes and opportunities -- Conclusion : the journey continues.
- Teaching mindfulness 2010, SpringerPart I: Clinical and Cultural Context -- Chapter 1. Getting grounded (in our own instability) -- Chapter 2. A history exercise to locate "mindfulness" now -- Chapter 3. Building a "working" definition of mindfulness -- Part II: Authenticity, Authority, and Friendship -- Chapter 4. The Person of the Teacher -- Chapter 5. The skills of the teacher -- Part III: Towards an "Empty" Curriculum -- Chapter 6. Organizing the intentions of teaching -- Chapter 7. Fulfilling the intentions of teaching -- Chapter 8. Practices and resources.
- Therapy dogs in cancer care 2012, Springer
- Traditional Chinese medicine 2013, CambridgeThe traditional and scientific bases for traditional Chinese medicine : communication between traditional practitioners, physicians and scientists / James D. Adams, Jr. and Eric J. Lien -- Structure-activity relationship analysis of plant-derived compounds / Eric J. Lien, Linda L. Lien and James D. Adams -- Huang Di Nei Jing and the treatment of low back pain / Minchen Wang (Vince) -- Understanding ch'i : the life-force energy that determines vitality, health and wellbeing / Marcia R. Babcock -- When modern computational systems biology meets traditional Chinese medicine / Calvin Yu-Chian Chen -- Modern drug discovery from Chinese materia medica used in traditional Chinese medicine / Kuo-Hsiung Lee, Susan L. Morris-Natschke, Joshua Brattlie, Jingxi Xie and Eileen Belding -- PI3K-AKT signaling in cell growth and metabolism / Yang Li, Anketse Kassa and Bangyan L. Stiles -- The scientific evidence for using astragalus in human diseases / William C.S. Cho -- Traditional Chinese medicine : anti-inflammation for cancer prevention / Constance L. L. Saw, Chee L. Saw and Lita S.T. Chew -- Treatment of stroke with Dan Shen, Salvia miltiorrhiza / James David Adams, Jr. -- Drug discovery from traditional Chinese medicine for neurogenesis : implications for stroke and neurodegenerative diseases / Jiangang Shen and Xingmiao Chen -- Medicinal uses of seaweed in traditional Chinese medicine / Eri Oshima -- The preventive effect of traditional Chinese medicinal herbs on type 2 Diabetes mellitus / Zhijun Wang, Patrick Chan and Jeffrey Wang -- Translational approach to treating diabetes using acupuncture or electroacupuncture / Philip V. Peplow and G. David Baxter.
- Traditional herbal medicines for modern times v. 1-, 2002-, CRCnetBase
- Traditional medicinal plants and malaria 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Treatment of infertility with Chinese medicine. Second edition [2nd ed.] 2013, ScienceDirect
- Trigger point dry needling 2013, ScienceDirect
- Whole person care 2011, SpringerWhole Person Care / Tom A. Hutchinson -- Suffering, Whole Person Care, and the Goals of Medicine / Eric J. Cassell -- The Healing Journey / Tom A. Hutchinson, Balfour M. Mount and Michael Kearney -- The Challenge of Medical Dichotomies and the Congruent Physician-Patient Relationship in Medicine / Tom A. Hutchinson and James R. Brawer -- Separation-Attachment Theory in Illness and the Role of the Healthcare Practitioner / Gregory Fricchione -- Empathy, Compassion, and the Goals of Medicine / Stephen Liben -- Mindfulness and Whole Person Care / Patricia L. Dobkin -- Healing, Wounding, and the Language of Medicine / Abraham Fuks -- Death Anxiety: The Challenge and the Promise of Whole Person Care / Sheldon Solomon and Krista Lawlor -- Whole Person Self-Care: Self-Care from the Inside Out / Michael Kearney and Radhule Weininger -- Prevention and Whole Person Care / Tom A. Hutchinson -- Whole Person Care and Complementary and Alternative Therapies / Mary Grossman -- Spiritual Dimensions of Whole Person Care / Abdu'l-Missagh Ghadirian -- Whole Person Care and the Revolution in Genetics / David S. Rosenblatt and Jennifer Fitzpatrick -- Whole Person Care on a Busy Medical Ward / Gordon L. Crelinsten -- Teaching Whole Person Care in Medical School / Helen McNamara and J. Donald Boudreau -- Whole Person Care, Professionalism, and the Medical Mandate / Richard L. Cruess and Sylvia R. Cruess -- Whole Person Care: Conclusions / Tom A. Hutchinson.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases