Books by Subject
View by page
- Adenosine a key link between metabolism and brain activity — Neutron scattering in biology techniques and applications (100)
- New perspectives in the study of Mesoamerican primates distribution, ecology, behavior, and conservation — What sustains life? consilient mechanisms for protein-based machines and materials (52)
- New perspectives in the study of Mesoamerican primates distribution, ecology, behavior, and conservation 2006, SpringerOverview of the Mesoamerican primate fauna, primate studies, and conservation concerns / Alejandro Estrada ... [et al.] -- Taxonomy and distributions of Mesoamerican primates / Anthony B. Rylands ... [et al.] -- The biogeographic history of Mesoamerican primates / Susan M. Ford -- Demographic features of Alouatta pigra populations in extensive and fragmented forests / Sarie Van Belle and Alejandro Estrada -- Population structure of black howlers (Alouatta pigra) in southern Belize and responses to Hurricane Iris / Mary S.M. Pavelka and Colin A. Chapman -- The effects of forest fragment age, isolation, size, habitat type, and water availability on monkey density in a tropical dry forest / Holly Noelle DeGama-Blanchet and Linda Marie Fedigan -- Forest fragmentation and its effects on the feeding ecology of black howlers (Alouatta pigra) from the Calakmul area in Mexico / Andrómeda Rivera and Sophie Calmé -- Intestinal parasitic infections in Alouatta pigra in tropical rainforest in Lacandona, Chiapas, Mexico : implications for behavioral ecology and conservation / Kathryn E. Stoner and Ana González Di Pierro -- Average body weight for mantled howling monkeys (Alouatta palliata) : an assessment of average values and variability / Kenneth E. Glander -- An exploratory analysis of developmental plasticity in Costa Rican mantled howler monkeys (Alouatta palliata palliata) / Clara B. Jones -- Travel patterns and spatial mapping in Nicaraguan mantled howler monkeys (Alouatta palliata) / Paul A. Garber and Petra E. Jelinek -- Use of landmark cues to locate feeding sites in wild capuchin monkeys (Cebus capucinus) : an experimental field study / Paul A. Garber and Ellen Brown -- Leap, bridge, or ride? Ontogenetic influences on positional behavior in Cebus and Alouatta / Michelle F. Bezanson -- Food choice by juvenile capuchin monkeys (Cebus capucinus) in a tropical dry forest / Katherine C. MacKinnon -- Why be alpha male? Dominance and reproductive success in wild white-faced capuchins (Cebus capucinus) / Katharine M. Jack and Linda M. Fedigan -- Post-conceptive mating in white-faced capuchins, Cebus capucinus : hormonal and sociosexual patterns of cycling, noncycling, and pregnant females / Sarah D. Carnegie, Linda M. Fedigan and Toni E. Ziegler -- Growth of a reintroduced spider monkey (Ateles geoffroyi) population on Barro Colorado Island, Panama / Katharine Milton and Mariah E. Hopkins -- Primates in agroecosystems : conservation value of some agricultural practices in Mesoamerican landscapes / Alejandro Estrada ... [et al.] -- Primate populations in the protected forests of Maya archaeological sites in southern Mexico and Guatemala / Alejandro Estrada ... [et al.] -- Mapping primate populations in the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico : a first assessment / Juan Carlos Serio-Silva, Víctor Rico-Gray and Gabriel Ramos-Fernández -- A metapopulation approach to conserving the howler monkey in a highly fragmented landscape in Los Tuxtlas, Mexico / Salvador Mandujano ... [et al.] -- Quantifying fragmentation of black howler (Alouatta pigra) habitat after Hurricane Iris (2001), southern Belize / Shelley M. Alexander, Mary S.M. Pavelka and Nicola H. Bywater -- New perspectives in the study of Mesoamerican primates : concluding comments and conservation priorities / Paul A. Garber, Alejandro Estrada and Mary S.M. Pavelka.
- New taxonomy 2008, CRCnetBASEIntroductory : toward the new taxonomy / Quentin D. Wheeler -- Networks and their role in e-taxonomy / Malcolm J. Scoble -- Taxonomy as a team sport / Sandra Knapp -- Planetary biodiversity inventories as models for the new taxonomy / Lawrence M. Page -- On the use of taxonomic concepts in support of biodiversity research and taxonomy / Nico M. Franz, Robert K. Peet and Alan S. Weakley -- International infrastructure for enabling the new taxonomy : the role of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) / Larry Speers and James L. Edwards -- DNA sequence in taxonomy : opportunities and challenges / Rudolf Meier -- Animal names for all : ICZN, ZooBank and the new taxonomy / Andrew Polaszek, Richard Pyle and Doug Yanega -- Understanding morphology in systematic contezxt : three-dimensional specimen ordination and recognition / Norman MacLeod -- Taxonomic shock and awe / Quentin D. Wheeler.
- Nonclinical development of novel biologics, biosimilars, vaccines and specialty biologics 2013, ScienceDirectMachine generated contents note: I.Development of Biophar-Maceuticals Defined as Novel Biologics -- 1.Overview of Biopharmaceuticals and Comparison with Small-molecule Drug Development / Thomas R. Gelzleichter -- Introduction -- History and Evolution of Biopharmaceuticals -- Development of Diverse Biopharmaceutical Modalities -- Comparison of Small-Molecule Drugs to Biopharmaceuticals -- Summary -- References -- 2.Regulatory Guidelines and their Application in the Nonclinical Evaluation of Biological Medicines / Maggie Dempster -- Introduction -- Species Selection -- Study Design Considerations for Repeat-Dose Studies -- Immunogenicity -- Reproductive and Developmental Toxicity -- Genotoxicity and Carcinogenicity -- Special Considerations for Anticancer Drugs -- First-in-Human (Fih) Clinical Trial -- Summary -- References -- 3.Early De-risking Strategy for Novel Biotherapeutics / Beth Hinkle -- Introduction -- Establishing A Safety Profile for Biotherapeutics -- General Safety Considerations Related to Biotherapeutics -- Progress in Evaluation of Immunotoxicity -- Can We Better Address Potential Off-Target Toxicity? -- Summary -- References -- 4.Novel Biopharmaceuticals: Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Bioanalytics / Wolfgang Seghezzi -- Introduction -- Absorption, Distribution and Elimination of Biopharmaceuticals -- Disposition of Modified Molecules -- "Metabolism" and Biodistribution for Biopharmaceuticals -- Immunogenicity and impacts on PK and biodistribution -- Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics -- Preclinical to Clinical Translation -- Bioanalytics -- Drug Assays -- Biomarkers: Target Engagement Assays -- Immunogenicity Assessment: ADA Assays -- Summary -- References -- II.Development of Biosimilars -- 5.Overview of Biosimilar Therapeutics / Danuta J. Herzyk -- Introduction -- The Concept of Biosimilars -- General Considerations for Development of Biosimilars -- Biosimilar Candidates Based on Modality and Therapeutic Class -- Summary -- References -- 6.Regulatory Standards for the Approval of Biosimilar Products: A Global Review / Barbara Mounho-Zamora -- Introduction -- European Union -- Pioneer for the First Regulatory Pathway for Biosimilar Products -- The World Health Organization Guidance on Biosimilars -- Regulatory Pathway for Biosimilar Products in the United States -- Biosimilar Pathways in Other Regions -- Summary -- References -- 7.Early Characterization of Biosimilar Therapeutics / Thomas R. Gelzleichter -- Introduction -- Recombinant Insulins -- Recombinant Human Growth Hormone -- Recombinant Erythropoietins -- Recombinant Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor -- Recombinant Interferons -- Low Molecular Weight Heparins -- Monoclonal Antibodies -- Other Classes -- Summary -- References -- III.Vaccines -- 8.Introduction to Vaccines and Adjuvants / Deborah L. Novicki -- Introduction -- The History of Vaccines -- The Impact of Vaccines on Human Health -- Advancements in Vaccines Technologies -- Advancements in Adjuvant Technologies -- Approved Infectious Disease Vaccines and Diseases for Which Preventive Vaccines are Still Needed -- Therapeutic Vaccines -- Product Complexity From a Quality Perspective -- Nonclinical Testing -- Clinical Testing -- Vaccine Development Using the Animal Rule -- The Anti-Vaccines Movement and Misperceptions About Vaccines and Their Safety -- Summary -- References -- 9.Global Regulatory Guidelines for Vaccines / Lisa M. Plitnick -- Introduction -- Toxicity Assessment -- Additional Toxicity Assessments -- Special Considerations -- Formulation/Delivery Devices -- Alternate Routes of Administration -- Special Considerations for Particular Types of Vaccines -- Summary -- References -- 10.Special Considerations for the Nonclinical Safety Assessment of Vaccines / Jayanthi J. Wolf -- Introduction -- De-risking Strategies for Vaccines -- Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics Assessments -- Differences in the Nonclinical Safety Assessment of Vaccines and Biopharmaceutical Drugs -- Summary -- References -- IV.Specialty Biologics and Indications -- 11.Turning the Corner with Viral-based Gene Therapy -- Development of the Rogue Biopharmaceutical / Timothy K. Maclachlan -- Introduction -- A History and Primer of Gene Therapy -- The Process of Getting Genes into Cells -- Health Authority Regulation of Gene Therapy Products -- Nonclinical Safety Studies and Regulatory Guidance -- Summary -- References -- 12.Blood Products / Vikram Arora -- Introduction -- Plasma-Derived Blood Products -- Blood Products Derived from Recombinant Technologies -- Summary -- References -- 13.Biological Therapies for Cancer / Gautham K. Rao -- Introduction -- Global Regulatory Guidances -- General Principles of Toxicology Assessments -- Nonclinical Studies and Principles of Study Design -- Specialty Toxicology Assessments -- Pharmacokinetics, Immunogenicity, and Pharmacodynamics -- Nonclinical Development of Marketed Biologies -- Recombinant Analogs of Endogeneous Human Proteins (Interferons, Cytokines, Enzymes) -- Summary -- References -- 14.Nonclinical Development of Multi-targeting Biopharmaceuticals / Anu V. Connor -- Introduction -- Scientific Rationale for Multi-Targeting Biopharmaceuticals (MTBs) -- Evolution of Technology Platforms -- General Challenges and Considerations -- Summary of Challenges -- T Cell-Dependent Bispecific Antibody (TDB) Biotherapeutics -- Dual-Targeting Antibodies -- Summary -- References -- 15.Considerations in the Development of Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies / Joy A. Cavagnaro -- Introduction -- Early Decisions -- Nonclinical Development -- Translating Preclinical Data to Clinical Application -- Global Regulatory Guidance -- Summary -- References.
- Nutrient cycling in terrestrial ecosystems 2007, Springer
- Orientation and navigation in vertebrates 2008, Springer
- Oxidants in biology a question of balance 2008, Springer
- Oxygen biology and hypoxia 2007, ScienceDirect
- Oxygen transport to tissue XXVII 2006, Springer
- Photobiology the science of life and light. 2nd ed. 2008, Springer
- Planctomycetes cell structure, origins and biology 2013, SpringerHistory, classification and cultivation of the planctomycetes / Cheryl Jenkins and James T. Staley -- Cell compartmentalization and endocytosis in planctomycetes: structure and function in complex bacteria / John A. Fuerst, Richard I. Webb, and Evgeny Sagulenko -- Structural aspects of MC proteins of PVC superphylum members / Damien P. Devos -- Cell biology of anaerobic ammonium-oxidizing bacteria: unique prokaryotes with an energy-conserving intracellular compartment / Sarah Neumann, Muriel C.F. van Teeseling and Laura van Niftrik -- Acidophilic planctomycetes: expanding the horizons of new planctomycete diversity / Svetlana N. Dedysh and Irina S. Kulichevskaya -- Toward the development of genetic tools for Planctomycetes / Mareike Jogler and Christian Jogler -- Genomics and bioinformatics of the PVC superphylum / Olga K. Kamneva, Daniel H. Haft, Stormy J. Knight, Davide A. Liberles, and Naomi L. Ward -- Distribution and evolution of C1 transfer enzymes and evolution of the planctomycetes / Ludmila Chistoserdova -- Unusual members of the PVC superphylum: the methanotrophic Verrucomicrobia genus "Methylacidiphilum" / Christine E. Sharp, Huub J.M. Op den Camp, Ivica Tamas, and Peter F. Dunfield -- Phyla related to Planctomycetes: members of phylum Chlamydiae and their implications for Planctomycetes cell biology / Claire Bertelli and Gilbert Greub -- Planctomycetes: their evolutionary implications for models for origins of eukaryotes and the eukaryote nucleus and endomembranes / John A. Fuerst and Evgeny Sagulenko -- Final word: the future of planctomycetology and related studies / John A. Fuerst -- Index.
- Population systems a general introduction.. 2nd ed. / 2008, Springer
- Power analysis for experimental research a practical guide for the biological, medical, and social sciences 2002, ebraryThe conceptual underpinnings of statistical power -- Strategies for increasing statistical power -- General guidelines for conducting a power analysis -- The t-test for independent samples -- The paired t-test -- One-way between subjects analysis of variance -- One-way between subjects analysis of covariance -- One-way repeated measures analysis of variance -- Interaction effects for factorial analysis of variance -- Power analysis for more complex designs -- Other power analytic issues and resources for addressing them.
- Prenatal mouse brain atlas /. 2nd ed. 2007, Springer
- Primate biogeography progress and prospects 2006, SpringerBiogeography and primates : a review / Shawn M. Lehman, John G. Fleagle -- Nested distribution patterns and the historical biogeography of the primates of Guyana / S.M. Lehman -- Genetic evidence on the historical biogeography of Central American howler monkeys / Julie A. Ellsworth, Guy A. Hoelzer -- Ecological biogeography of primates in Guyana / S.M. Lehman ... [et al.] -- Contrasting phylogeographic histories of chimpanzees in Nigeria and Cameroon : a multi-locus genetic analysis / M. Katherine Gonder, Todd R. Disotell -- Geographic variation in Savanna baboon (Papio) ecology and its taxonomic and evolutionary implications / Jason M. Kamilar -- Biogeography and evolution of the Cercocebus-Mandrillus clade : evidence from the face / W. Scott McGraw, John G. Fleagle -- Mouse lemur phylogeography revises a model of ecogeographic constraint in Madagascar / Anne D. Yoder, Kellie L. Heckman -- Abiotic and biotic factors as predictors of species richness on Madagascar / Nancy J. Stevens, Patrick M. O'Connor -- The geography of mammals and rivers in mainland Southeast Asia / Erik Meijaard, Colin Peter Groves -- Primate biogeography and ecology on the Sunda Shelf islands : a paleontological and zooarchaeological perspective / Terry Harrison, John Krigbaum, Jessica Manser -- The biogeography of primate evolution : the role of plate tectonics, climate and chance / John G. Fleagle, Christopher C. Gilbert -- Biogeographic origins of primate higher taxa / Christopher P. Heesy, Nancy J. Stevens, Karen E. Samonds -- Mammalian biogeography and anthropoid origins / K. Christopher Beard -- Continental paleobiogeography as phylogenetic evidence / James B. Rossie, Erik R. Seiffert.
- Primates of western Uganda 2006, SpringerTaxonomy and biogeography of the primates of western Uganda / Colin Groves -- Factors influencing variation in the population densities of Colobus guereza within selectively logged forest at the Budongo Reserve : the importance of lianas during a subsistence diet / Graham Anthony Preece -- How does the golden monkey of the Virungas cope in a fruit-scarce environment? / Dennis Twinomugish ... [et al.] -- The diet of olive baboons (Papio anubis) in Budongo Forest Reserve, Uganda / Adam Alberts Okecha and Nicholas E. Newton-Fisher -- Aspects of diet, foraging, and seed predation in Ugandan forest baboons / James D. Paterson -- The interaction of hormones with ecological factors in male Budongo Forest chimpanzees / Sally B. Seraphin, Patricia L. Whitten, and Vernon Reynolds -- The role of diet in self-medication among chimpanzees in the Sonso and Kanyawara communities, Uganda / Paula Pebsworth, Sabrina Krief, and Michael A. Huffman -- Geophagy in chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) of the Budongo Forest Reserve, Uganda : a multidisciplinary study / Mnason Tweheyo ... [et al.] -- Nutritional aspects of the diet of wild gorillas : how do Bwindi gorillas compare? / Jessica M. Rothman ... [et al.] -- The parasites of the gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda / Jessica M. Rothman ... [et al.] -- Preliminary GIS analysis of range use by sympatric mountain gorillas and chimpanzees in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda / J. Bosco Nkurunungi and Craig B. Stanford -- Comparison of sex differences in gregariousness in fission-fusion species : reducing bias by standardizing for party size / Melissa Emery Thompson and Richard W. Wrangham -- Urinary estrone conjugates and reproductive parameters in Kibale (Kanyawara) and Budongo (Sonso) chimpanzees / Melissa Emery Thompson, Richard W. Wrangham, and Vernon Reynolds -- Frequent copulations by females and high promiscuity in chimpanzees in the Kalinzu Forest, Uganda / Chie Hashimoto and Takeshi Furuichi -- Effects of injury on the locomotion of free-living chimpanzees in the Budongo Forest Reserve, Uganda / Julie Munn -- Effect of snare injuries on the fig-feeding behavior of chimpanzees of the Budongo Forest, Uganda : behavioral adaptations and long-term implications / Emma J. Stokes and Richard W. Byrne -- Deciphering junglespeak : an update on chimpanzee vocalizations, referential communication, and their relationship to language / Hugh Notman -- Instrumental leaf use by chimpanzees of the Budongo Forest (Sonso community) / Duane Quiatt -- A survey of prosimians in the national parks and forest reserves of Uganda / Lesley Ambrose -- The diets, preferences, and overlap of the primate community in the Budongo Forest Reserve, Uganda : effects of logging on primate diets / Andrew J. Plumptre -- Behavioral patterns of colobus in logged and unlogged forests : the conservation value of harvested forests / Colin A. Chapman, Michael D. Wasserman, and Thomas R. Gillespie -- Threats to, and protection of, the chimpanzees of the Budongo Forest Reserve / Vernon Reynolds -- Gorillas living on the edge : literally and figuratively / Michele L. Goldsmith, Joel Glick, and Evarist Ngabirano -- Local ecological perceptions of chimpanzees and forest resources : a case study near Budongo Forest, Uganda / Cristy Watkins.
- Principles of medical biology v. 2-15, 1995-2004., ScienceDirect
- Problems of High Altitude Medicine and Biology 2007, Springer
- Progress in heritable soft connective tissue diseases 2014, SpringerThis volume is a reference handbook focusing on diseases like Marfan syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Loeys-Dietz syndrome and other heritable soft connective tissue diseases. The book presents detailed information for both basic scientists and for clinicians seeing patients. It is also a stepping stone for new investigations and studies that goes beyond the facts about the composition and biochemistry of the connective tissue and extracellular matrix, as the authors connect individual components to specific aspects of various soft tissue disorders and to the actual or potential treatment of them. Progress in Heritable Soft Connective Tissue Diseases features very prominent physicians and scientists as contributors who bring their most recent discoveries to the benefit of readers. Their expertise will help clinicians with proper diagnosis of sometimes elusive and uncommon heritable diseases of soft connective tissues. This book also offers an update on the pathophysiology of these diseases, including an emphasis on unifying aspects such as connections between embryonic development of the different types of connective tissues and systems, and the role of TGF-beta in development and physiology of soft tissues. This new set of data explains, at least in part, why many of these disorders are interconnected, though the primary pathophysiological events, such as gene mutations, may be different for each disorder.
- Promises and challenges of regenerative medicine 2005, SpringerMelanocyte system for studying stem cell niche -- Establishment and maniupulation of monkey and human embryonic stem cell lines for biomedical research -- Human embryonic stem cell derivation -- In search of the elusive epidermal stem cell -- Corneal cells for regeneration -- Polycomb gene product Bmi-l -- Directed differentiation of neural and sensory tissues from embryonic stem cells in vitro -- Stem cell biology for vascular regeneration.
- ch. 1. Introduction / David L. Hull and Marc H. V. Van Regenmortel, p. 1-13 -- ch. 2. Emergent Properties of Biological Molecules and Cells / Robert J. P. Williams, p. 15-34 -- ch. 3. From Nineteenth Century Ideas on Reduction in Physiology to Non-Reductive Explanations in Twentieth-Century Biochemistry / Claude Debru, p. 35-46 -- ch. 4. Pitfalls of Reductionism in Immunology / Marc H. V. Van Regenmortel, p. 47-66 -- ch. 5. Reductionism in Medicine: Social Aspects of Health / Elisabeth A. Lloyd, p. 67-82 -- ch. 6. 'Who's Afraid of Reductionism?' 'I Am!' / Stanley Shostak, p. 83-111 -- Round Table Discussion 1/ chair Alex Rosenberg, p. 113-123 -- ch. 7. Reductionism in an Historical Science / Alex Rosenberg, p. 125-160 -- ch. 8. Varieties of Reductionism: Derivation and Gene Selection / David L. Hull, p. 161-177 -- ch. 9. The Gene: Between Holism and Generalism / Michel Morange, p. 179-189 -- ch. 10. Genes versus Molecules: How To, and How Not To, Be a Reductionist / Sahotra Sarkar, p. 191-209 -- ch. 11. Limits of Reproduction: A Reductionistic Research Strategy in Evolutionary Biology / James Griesemer, p. 211-231 -- ch. 12. Evolutionary Psychology: A Case Study in the Poverty of Genetic Determinism / John Dupré, p. 233-251 -- Round Table Discussion 2 / chair Marc Van Regenmortel, p. 253-260 -- ch. 13. The Ethical Imperative of Holism in Medicine / Alfred I. Tauber, p. 261-278 -- ch. 14. Levels of Explanation in Human Behaviour: The Poverty of Evolutionary Psychology / Steven P. R. Rose, p. 279-304 -- ch. 15. Reductionism and Social Policy / Dorothy Nelkin, p. 305-321 -- ch. 16. Reductionism, Complexity and Molecular Medicine: Genetic Chips and the 'Globalization' of the Genome / Kenneth F. Schaffner, p. 323-351 -- Round Table Discussion 3 / chair Kenneth F. Schaffner, p. 353-363.
- Introduction and technical survey: Protein aggregation and fibrillogenesis -- Fibril formation by short synthetic peptides -- In vitrooligomerization and fibrillogenesis of amyloid-beta peptides -- Tau fibrillogenesis -- Prion protein aggregation and fibrillogenesisin vitro -- Alpha-synuclein aggregation and modulating factors -- Pathological self-aggregation of [beta](2)-microglobulin: A challenge for protein biophysics -- Islet amyloid polypeptide: Aggregation and fibrillogenesisin vitroand its inhibition -- Mechanisms of transthyretin aggregation and toxicity -- Fibrillogenesis of huntingtin and other glutamine containing proteins -- Aggregation and fibrillogenesis of proteins not associated with disease: a few case studies -- Experimental inhibition of peptide fibrillogenesis by synthetic peptides, carbohydrates and drugs -- Experimental inhibition of fibrillogenesis and neurotoxicity by amyloid-beta (abeta) and other disease-related peptides/proteins by plant extracts and herbal compounds -- Alzheimer's disease -- Modeling the polyglutamine aggregation pathway in Huntington's disease: from basic studies to clinical applications -- Parkinson's disease -- Human prion diseases: From kuru to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease -- Animal prion diseases -- [beta](2)-Microglobulin amyloidosis -- Systemic AA amyloidosis -- Familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy and transthyretin -- The challenge of systemic immunoglobulin light-chain amyloidosis (AL).
- Protocol for somatic embryogenesis in woody plants 2005, Springer
- Psychrophiles from biodiversity to biotechnology 2008, Springer
- Public health entomology 2013, CRCnetBASE"Increasing problems of emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases, brought about, at least in part, by vectors fueled by increased worldwide travel and commerce, make this a highly timely book for anyone in the public practice of medical and veterinary entomology, including entomologists, public health officials, and pest control technicians and managers. Employing a reader-friendly style with bulleted texts, scenarios, and case history boxes, it targets the major vectors and pests of medical and public health importance, addresses regulatory and academic medical entomology, and discusses disease vector control with worldwide application"--Provided by publisher.
- Quantum dots applications in biology 2006, Springer ProtocolsImmunofluorescent labeling of proteins in cultured cells with quantum dot secondary antibody conjugates / Richard L. Ornberg and Hongjian Liu -- Immunohistochemical detection with quantum dots / Rizwan S. Akhtar ... [et al.] -- Quantum dots for multicolor clinical pathology and multispectral imaging / Johbu Itoh and Robert Yoshiyuki Osamura -- Light and electron microscopic localization of multiple proteins using quantum dots / Thomas J. Deerinck ... [et al.] -- Human metaphase chromosome fluorescence in situ hybridization using quantum dot conjugates / Joan H.M. Knoll -- Biotin-ligand complexes with streptavidin quantum dots for in vivo cell-labeling of membrane receptors / Diane S. Lidke ... [et al.] -- Single quantum dot tracking of membrane receptors / CÃ¸dric Bouzigues ... [et al.] -- Optical monitoring of single cells using quantum dots / Jyoti K. Jaiswal and Sanford M. Simon -- Peptide-mediated intracellular delivery of quantum dots / B. Christoffer Lagerholm -- High-content analysis in multiple cell lines using quantum dots / Paul G. Wylie -- Measuring cell motility using quantum dot probes / Weiwei Gu ... [et al.] -- Quantum dots for in vivo molecular and cellular imaging / Xiaohu Gao, Leland W.K. Chung, and Shuming Nie -- Sentinel lymph node mapping with type II quantum dots / John V. Frangioni ... [et al.] -- Macrophage-mediated colocalization of quantum dots in experimental glioma / Osman Muhammad, Alexandra Popescu, and Steven A. Toms -- Applications of quantum dots to multicolor flow cytometry / Pratip K. Chattopadhyay and Mario Roederer -- Quantum dots in flow cytometry / Barnaby Abrams and Tim Dubrovsky -- Luminescent biocompatible quantum dots: a tool for immunosorbent assay design / Ellen R. Goldman ... [et al.] -- Fluorescence-based analysis of cellular protein lysate arrays using quantum dots / David H. Geho ... [et al.] -- Application of quantum dots to multicolor microarray experiments: four-color genotyping / George Karlin-Neumann ... [et al.].
- section A. Introduction and general context -- section B. Reconstructing and using the tree of life -- section C. Taxonomy and systematics of species rich groups (case studies).
- Reproduction and fitness in baboons behavioral, ecological, and life history perspectives 2006, SpringerPerspectives on reproduction and life history in baboons / Larissa Swedell & Steven R. Leigh -- Infant mortality, paternity certainty, and female reproductive strategies in hamadryas baboons / Larissa Swedell & Julian Saunders -- Female behavioral strategies of hybrid baboons in the Awash National Park, Ethiopia / Jacinta C. Beehner & Thore J. Bergman -- Hybrid baboons and the origins of the hamadryas male reproductive strategy / Thore J. Bergman -- The social and ecological flexibility of Guinea baboons : implications for Guinea baboon social organization and male strategies / Anh Galat-Luong, Gérard Galat & Suzanne Hagell -- Social organization, reproductive systems, and mediation of baboon endogenous virus (BaEV) copy number in gelada, hamadryas, and other Papio baboons / Monica Uddin, Jane E. Phillips-Conroy & Clifford J. Jolly -- Reproduction, mortality, and female reproductive success in chacma baboons of the Okavango Delta, Botswana / Dorothy L. Cheney ... [et al.] -- Maternal characteristics and offspring growth in chacma baboons : a life-history perspective / Sara E. Johnson -- Whose life is it anyway? Maternal investment, developmental trajectories, and life history strategies in baboons / Louise Barrett, S. Peter Henzi & John E. Lycett -- Ontogeny, life history, and maternal investment in baboons / Steven R. Leigh & Robin M. Bernstein -- Testicular size, developmental trajectories, and male life history strategies in four baboon taxa / Clifford J. Jolly & Jane E. Phillips-Conroy -- The evolutionary past and the research future : environmental variation and life history flexibility in a primate lineage / Susan C. Alberts & Jeanne Altmann.
- Ringtailed lemur biology Lemur catta in Madagascar 2006, SpringerThe distribution and biogeography of the ringtailed lemur (Lemur catta) in Madagascar / Steven M. Goodman, Soava V. Rakotoarisoa and Lucienne Wilmé -- A preliminary estimate of Lemur catta population density using satellite imagery / Robert W. Sussman ... [et al.] -- Berenty Reserve : a research site in southern Madagascar / Alison Jolly ... [et al.] -- Beza Mahafaly Special Reserve : a research site in southwestern Madagascar / Robert W. Sussman and Joelisoa Ratsirarson -- Plant species fed on by Lemur catta in gallery forests of the southern domain of Madagascar / Bruno Simmen ... [et al.] -- Tamarind recruitment and long-term stability in the gallery forest at Berenty, Madagascar / Kathryn Blumenfeld-Jones ... [et al.] -- Home ranges of ringtailed lemur troops and the density of large trees at Berenty Reserve, Madagascar / Naoki Koyama ... [et al.] -- The influence of tamarind tree quality and quantity on Lemur catta behavior / Anne S. Mertl-Millhollen ... [et al.] -- Feeding competition between introduced Eulemur fulvus and native Lemur catta during the birth season at Berenty Reserve, southern Madagascar / Susan Pinkus, James N.M. Smith and Alison Jolly -- Tradition and novelty : Lemur catta feeding strategy on introduced tree species at Berenty Reserve / Takayo Soma -- Diet quality and taste perception of plant secondary metabolites by Lemur catta / B. Simmen ... [et al.] -- Territory as bet-hedging : Lemur catta in a rich forest and an erratic climate / Alison Jolly ... [et al.] -- Resource defense in Lemur catta : the importance of group size / R. Ethan Pride ... [et al.] -- Social changes in a wild population of ringtailed lemurs (Lemur catta) at Berenty, Madagascar / Shinichiro Ichino and Naoki Koyama -- Obsession with agonistic power / Michael. E. Pereira -- Male and female ringtailed lemurs' energetic strategy does not explain female dominance / Hantanirina Rasamimanana ... [et al.] -- Male sociality and integration during the dispersal process in Lemur catta : a case study / Lisa Gould -- Patterns of health, disease, and behavior among wild ringtailed lemurs, Lemur catta: effects of habitat and sex / Michelle L. Sauther ... [et al.] -- Bald lemur syndrome and the miracle tree : alopecia associated with Leucaena leucocephala at Berenty Reserve, Madagascar / Graham C. Crawford ... [et al.] -- Temporal change in tooth size among ringtailed lemurs (Lemur catta) at the Beza Mahafaly Special Reserve, Madagascar : effects of an environmental fluctuation / Frank P. Cuozzo and Michelle L. Sauther.
- Rotifera X rotifer research: trends, new tools and recent advances : proceedings of the Xth International Rotifer Symposium, held in Illmitz, Austria, 7-13 June 2003 2005, Springer
- Serosal membranes (pleura, pericardium, peritoneum) normal structure, development and experimental pathology 2006, Springer
- Solanaceae and convolvulaceae - secondary metabolites biosynthesis, chemotaxonomy, biological and economic significance : a handbook 2008, Springer
- Stable isotope ecology 2006, Springer
- Statistics for biology and health 2005-, SpringerLink
- Synthetic biology tools and applications 2013, ScienceDirectSynthetic Biology provides a framework to examine key enabling components in the emerging area of synthetic biology. Chapters contributed by leaders in the field address tools and methodologies developed for engineering biological systems at many levels, including molecular, pathway, network, whole cell, and multi-cell levels. The book highlights exciting practical applications of synthetic biology such as microbial production of biofuels and drugs, artificial cells, synthetic viruses, and artificial photosynthesis. The roles of computers and computational design are discussed, as well as future prospects in the field, including cell-free synthetic biology and engineering synthetic ecosystems. Synthetic biology is the design and construction of new biological entities, such as enzymes, genetic circuits, and cells, or the redesign of existing biological systems. It builds on the advances in molecular, cell, and systems biology and seeks to transform biology in the same way that synthesis transformed chemistry and integrated circuit design transformed computing. The element that distinguishes synthetic biology from traditional molecular and cellular biology is the focus on the design and construction of core components that can be modeled, understood, and tuned to meet specific performance criteria and the assembly of these smaller parts and devices into larger integrated systems that solve specific biotechnology problems. Includes contributions from leaders in the field presents examples of ambitious synthetic biology efforts including creation of artificial cells from scratch, cell-free synthesis of chemicals, fuels, and proteins, engineering of artificial photosynthesis for biofuels production, and creation of unnatural living organisms. Describes the latest state-of-the-art tools developed for low-cost synthesis of ever-increasing sizes of DNA and efficient modification of proteins, pathways, and genomesHighlights key technologies for analyzing biological systems at the genomic, proteomic, and metabolomic levels which are especially valuable in pathway, whole cell, and multi-cell applications. Details mathematical modeling tools and computational tools which can dramatically increase the speed of the design process as well as reduce the cost of development.
- Systems biology 2013, SpringerFirst, systems biology is an inter-disciplinary approach, requiring the combined talents of biologists, mathematicians, and computer scientists. Second, systems biology is holistic, with the goal of obtaining a comprehensive understanding of the workings of biological systems. This is achieved through the acquisition of massive amounts of data by high-throughput technologies-oligonucleotide microarrays, mass spectrometry, and next-generation sequencing-and the analysis of this data through sophisticated mathematical algorithms.
- Systems biology 2007, Springer
- Systems biology (New York, New York (State)) v. 1-, 2010-, Springer
- Systems biology applications and perspectives 2007, Springer
- Systems biology principles, methods, and concepts 2007, CRCnetBASEBasic concepts of systems biology / Andrzej K. Konopka -- Understanding through modeling : a historical perspective and review of biochemical systems theory as a powerful tool for systems biology / Eberhard O. Voit and John H. Schwacke -- Thermostatics : a poster child of systems thinking / Peter Salamon, Anna Salamon, and Andrzej K. Konopka -- Friesian epistemology / Kelley L. Ross -- Reconsidering the notion of the organic / Robert E. Ulanowicz -- The metaphor of "chaos" / Wlodzimierz Klonowksi -- Biological complexity : an engineering perspective / Stephen W. Kercel -- The von Neumann's self-replicator and a critique of its misconceptions / Stephen W. Kercel -- The mathematical structure of thermodynamics / Peter Salamon ... [et al.].
- Systems biology. Volume II, Networks, models, and applications 2007, MyiLibrary
- Topics in bone biology v. 2-, 2005-, Springer
- Trophic and guild interactions in biological control 2006, Springer
- Valuation and conservation of biodiversity interdisciplinary perspectives on the Convention on Biological Diversity 2005, Springer
- Valuation in life sciences a practical guide. 2nd ed. 2008, Springer
- Viral molecular machines 2012, SpringerViruses: sophisticated biological machines / M.G. Rossmann and V.B. Rao -- F(1)-ATPase: A prototypical rotary molecular motor / K. Kinosita, Jr. -- Principles of virus structural organization / B.V. Prasad and M.F. Schmid -- Reconstructing virus structures from nanometer to near-atomic resolutions with cryo-electron microscopy and tomography / J. Chang ... [et al.] -- Contractile tail machines of bacteriophages / P.G. Leiman and M.M. Shneider -- Long noncontractile tail machines of bacteriophages / A.R. Davidson ... [et al.] -- Short noncontractile tail machines: adsorption and DNA delivery by podoviruses / S.R. Casjens and I.J. Molineux -- Infection of cells by alphaviruses / D.T. Brown and R. Hernandez -- Influenza virus entry / M. Luo -- Molecular mechanisms of HIV entry / C.B. Wilen, J.C. Tilton and R.W. Doms -- Bunyavirus: structure and replication / T.S. Guu, W. Zheng and Y.J. Tao -- Viral polymerases / K.H. Choi -- Chaperonin-mediated folding of viral proteins / Z.L. Hildenbrand and R.A. Bernal -- Building the machines: scaffolding protein functions during bacteriophage morphogenesis / P.E. Prevelige and B.A. Fane -- Bacteriophage HK97 capsid assembly and maturation / R.W. Hendrix and J.E. Johnson -- Lipid-containing viruses: Bacteriophage PRD1 assembly / S.J. Butcher, V. Manole and N.J. Karhu -- Assembly of large icosahedral double-stranded RNA viruses / M.M. Poranen and D.H. Bamford -- The papillomavirus virion: a machine built to hide molecular Achilles' heels / C.B. Buck and B.L. Trus -- Procapsid assembly, maturation, nuclear exit: dynamic steps in the production of infectious herpesvirions / G. Cardone ... [et al.] -- Assembly and architecture of HIV / B.K. Ganser-Pornillos, M. Yeager and O. Pornillos -- Condensed genome structure / L.W. Black and J.A. Thomas -- The bacteriophage DNA packaging machine / M. Feiss and V.B. Rao -- The dsDNA packaging motor in Bacteriophage o29 / M.C. Morais -- Single-molecule studies of viral DNA packaging / Y.R. Chemla and D.E. Smith -- Genome gating in tailed bacteriophage capsids / P. Tavares, S. Zinn-Justin and E.V. Orlova -- Packaging in dsRNA Viruses / L. Mindich -- Mechanism of RNA packaging motor / E.J. Mancini and R. Tuma -- Helical viruses / G. Stubbs and A. Kendall.
- Welfare of cats 2007, SpringerCat behaviour : social organization, communication, and development / by Sharon L. Crowell-Davis -- The assessment of welfare / by Rachel A. Casey and John W.S. Bradshaw -- The human-cat relationship / by Penny L. Bernstein --Behaviour problems and welfare / by Sarah E. Heath -- Cat overpopulation in the United States / by Philip H. Kass -- The welfare of feral cats / by Margaret R. Slater -- Housing and welfare / by Irene Rochlitz -- Disease and welfare / by Kit Sturgess -- Nutrition and welfare / by Kit Sturgess and Karyl J. Hurley -- Breeding and welfare / by Andreas Steiger.
- What sustains life? an overview -- The pilgrimage: highlights in our understanding of products and components of living organisms -- Likelihood of life's protein machines: extravagant in construction yet efficient in function -- Consilient mechanisms for diverse protein-based machines: the efficient comprehensive hydrophobic effect -- On the evolution of protein-based machines: toward complexity of structure and diversity of function -- Biology thrives near a movable cusp of insolubility -- Consilient mechanisms for the protein-based machines of biology -- Advanced materials for the future: protein-based materials with potential to sustain individual health and societal development -- Appendix 1. Mechanics of elastin: molecular mechanism of biological elasticity and its relationship to contraction / Dan W. Urry and Timothy M. Parker -- Appendix 2. Development of elastic protein-based polymers as materials for acoustic absorption / Dan W. Urry... [et al.]
View by page
- Adenosine a key link between metabolism and brain activity — Neutron scattering in biology techniques and applications (100)
- New perspectives in the study of Mesoamerican primates distribution, ecology, behavior, and conservation — What sustains life? consilient mechanisms for protein-based machines and materials (52)
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.Large number of high quality software and database programming titles from O'Reilly. Other software titles are also available from Sams and Prentice Hall. Limited to 7 concurrent users.Vast collection of software and database programming titles from multiple publishers, including Microsoft Press.Largest provider of engineering-related eBooks; includes titles in computer science and biomedical engineering.Over 4,000 full-text e-books covering scientific and technical information from CRC Press and others. Many handbooks and single volume reference sources.A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more. Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.Includes peer-reviewed life science and biomedical research protocols compiled from Methods in Molecular Biology, Methods in Molecular Medicine, Methods in Biotechnology, Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuromethods, the Biomethods Handbook, the Proteomics Handbook, and Springer Laboratory Manuals.Contains full text access to selected biomedical and nursing books.Provides one-click access to important clinical resources; includes evidence-based diagnosis and treatment guidelines, Books, EBM articles, Ovid MEDLINE, Drug facts and comparisons, Drug interaction facts, guidelines from National Guideline Clearinghouse, patient handouts (English and Spanish), and local content.ClinicalKey provides access to textbooks, electronic journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.