Books by Subject
BiologyAccess restricted to Stanford unless otherwise noted
- Adenosine 2013, SpringerAdenosine and Metabolism--A Brief Historical Note / Bertil B. Fredholm -- Adenosine Metabolism, Adenosine Kinase, and Evolution / Jaoek Park and Radhey S. Gupta -- Adenosine and Energy Metabolism--Relationship to Brain Bioenergetics / Xuesong Chen, Liang Hui and Jonathan D. Geiger -- Adenosine and Autocrine Metabolic Regulation of Neuronal Activity / Masahito Kawamura Jr. and David N. Ruskin -- Physiologic and Metabolic Regulation of Adenosine: Mechanisms / Chris G. Dulla and Susan A. Masino -- The Double-Edged Sword: Gaining Adenosine at the Expense of ATP. How to Balance the Books / Stephanie zur Nedden, Alexander S. Doney and Bruno G. Frenguelli -- Downstream Pathways of Adenosine / Ana M. Sebastião, Sofia Cristóvão-Ferreira and Joaquim A. Ribeiro -- Astrocytic ATP Release / Dustin J. Hines and Philip G. Haydon -- Role of Striatal A2A Receptor Subpopulations in Neurological Disorders / Sergi Ferré, César Quiroz, Marco Orrú, Xavier Guitart and Seema Gulyani, et al. -- Sleep and Adenosine: Human Studies / Tarja Porkka-Heiskanen -- Adenosine and Other Purinergic Products in Circadian Timing / Christine Muheim and Steven A. Brown -- Adenosine in the Immune System / György Hask, Balázs Koscsó́ and Balázs Csóka -- The Bioenergetic Network of Adenosine in Hibernation, Sleep, and Thermoregulation / Kelly L. Drew and Tulasi R. Jinka -- Adenosine and Stroke / Felicita Pedata, Anna Maria Pugliese, Francesca Corti and Alessia Melani -- The Many Roles of Adenosine in Traumatic Brain Injury / Patrick M. Kochanek, Jonathan D. Verrier, Amy K. Wagner and Edwin K. Jackson -- Therapeutic Perspectives of Adenosine Receptor Compounds in Functional Restitution After Spinal Cord Injury / Kwaku D. Nantwi -- Adenosine and Pain / Jana Sawynok -- Symptomatic and Neuroprotective Effects of A2A Receptor Antagonists in Parkinson's Disease / Annalisa Pinna, Nicola Simola, Lucia Frau and Micaela Morelli -- Adenosine Receptors and Alzheimer's Disease / David Blum, Ursula Sandau, Cyril Laurent, Vânia Batalha and Antoine Leboucher, et al. -- Adenosine Receptors in Huntington's Disease / David Blum, Alberto Martire, Sylvie Burnouf, Bernard Sablonnière and Pierre Krystkowiak, et al. -- Adenosine and Multiple Sclerosis / Maria Victoria Sánchez-Gómez, Estibaliz González-Fernández, Rogelio O. Arellano and Carlos Matute -- Adenosinergic Perspectives on Schizophrenia: Opportunity for an Integrative Synthesis / Benjamin K. Yee, Philipp Singer and Detlev Boison -- The Role of Adenosine in the Ventral Striatal Circuits Regulating Behavioral Activation and Effort-Related Decision Making: Importance for Normal and Pathological Aspects of Motivation / John D. Salamone, Merce Correa, Patrick A. Randall, Eric J. Nunes and Marta Pardo, et al. -- Adenosine and Autism: Physiological Symptoms and Metabolic Opportunities / Julia Svedova, Inge-Marie Eigsti and Susan A. Masino -- Stress, Brain Adenosine Signaling, and Fatigue-Related Behavioral Processes / Traci N. Plumb, Sarah R. Sterlace, Kelly A. Cavanaugh and Thomas R. Minor -- Disruption of Adenosine Homeostasis in Epilepsy and Therapeutic Adenosine Augmentation / Detlev Boison -- Ketogenic Diet and Epilepsy: The Role of Adenosine / Jong M. Rho, Beth Zupec-Kania and Susan A. Masino -- Silk: A Biocompatible and Biodegradable Biopolymer for Therapeutic Adenosine Delivery / Eleanor M. Pritchard, Detlev Boison and David L. Kaplan -- Anatomical Distribution of Nucleoside System in the Human Brain and Implications for Therapy / Zsolt Kovács and Arpád Dobolyi.
- Advances in algal biology 2006, Springer
- Advances in systems biology 2012, SpringerPart 1. Multiscale biological networks: identification, modeling and analysis -- Modular Analysis of Biological Networks / Hans-Michael Kaltenbach and Jörg Stelling -- Modeling Signaling Networks Using High-throughput Phospho-proteomics / Camille Terfve and Julio Saez-Rodriguez -- An Integrated Bayesian Framework for Identifying Phosphorylation Networks in Stimulated Cells / Tapesh Santra, Boris Kholodenko and Walter Kolch -- Signaling Cascades: Consequences of Varying Substrate and Phosphatase Levels / Elisenda Feliu, Michael Knudsen and Carsten Wiuf -- Heterogeneous Biological Network Visualization System: Case Study in Context of Medical Image Data / Erno Lindfors, Jussi Mattila, Peddinti V. Gopalacharyulu, Antti Pesonen and Jyrki Lötjönen, et al. -- Evolution of the Cognitive Proteome: From Static to Dynamic Network Models / J. Douglas Armstrong and Oksana Sorokina -- Molecular Systems Biology of Sic1 in Yeast Cell Cycle Regulation Through Multiscale Modeling / Matteo Barberis -- Proteome-Wide Screens in Saccharomyces cerevisiae Using the Yeast GFP Collection / Yolanda T. Chong, Michael J. Cox and Brenda Andrews -- Unraveling the Complex Regulatory Relationships Between Metabolism and Signal Transduction in Cancer / Michelle L. Wynn, Sofia D. Merajver and Santiago Schnell -- Part 2. Cellular decision making: adaptation, differentiation and death -- The Cell as a Thermostat: How Much does it Know? / Dennis Bray -- Stem Cell Differentiation as a Renewal-Reward Process: Predictions and Validation in the Colonic Crypt / Kiran Gireesan Vanaja, Andrew P. Feinberg and Andre Levchenko -- A Dynamic Physical Model of Cell Migration, Differentiation and Apoptosis in Caenorhabditis elegans / Antje Beyer, Ralf Eberhard, Nir Piterman, Michael O. Hengartner and Alex Hajnal, et al. -- A Modular Model of the Apoptosis Machinery / E. O. Kutumova, I. N. Kiselev, R. N. Sharipov, I. N. Lavrik and Fedor A. Kolpakov --An Ensemble Approach for Inferring Semi-quantitative Regulatory Dynamics for the Differentiation of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells Using Prior Knowledge / Dominik Lutter, Philipp Bruns and Fabian J. Theis -- Cell Death and Life in Cancer: Mathematical Modeling of Cell Fate Decisions / Andrei Zinovyev, Simon Fourquet, Laurent Tournier, Laurence Calzone and Emmanuel Barillot -- Theoretical Aspects of Cellular Decision-Making and Information-Processing / Tetsuya J. Kobayashi and Atsushi Kamimura -- Zooming in on Yeast Osmoadaptation / Clemens Kühn and Edda Klipp -- Part 3. Spatial and temporal dymensions of intracellular dynamics -- Receptor Dynamics in Signaling / Verena Becker, Jens Timmer and Ursula Klingmüller -- A Systems-Biology Approach to Yeast Actin Cables / Tyler Drake, Eddy Yusuf and Dimitrios Vavylonis -- Modeling Morphodynamic Phenotypes and Dynamic Regimes of Cell Motion / Mihaela Enculescu and Martin Falcke -- Time-Structure of the Yeast Metabolism In vivo / Kalesh Sasidharan, Masaru Tomita, Miguel Aon, David Lloyd and Douglas B. Murray -- Coarse Graining Escherichia coli Chemotaxis: From Multi-flagella Propulsion to Logarithmic Sensing / Tine Curk, Franziska Matthäus, Yifat Brill-Karniely and Jure Dobnikar -- Self-Feedback in Actin Polymerization / Anders E. Carlsson -- Part 4. Computational tools, algorithms and theoretical methods for systems biology -- Global Optimization in Systems Biology: Stochastic Methods and Their Applications / Eva Balsa-Canto, J. R. Banga, J. A. Egea, A. Fernandez-Villaverde and G. M. de Hijas-Liste -- Mathematical Modeling of the Human Energy Metabolism Based on the Selfish Brain Theory / Matthias Chung and Britta Göbel -- Identification of Sensitive Enzymes in the Photosynthetic Carbon Metabolism / Renato Umeton, Giovanni Stracquadanio, Alessio Papini, Jole Costanza and Pietro Liò, et al. -- Formal Methods for Checking the Consistency of Biological Models / Allan Clark, Vashti Galpin, Stephen Gilmore, Maria Luisa Guerriero and Jane Hillston -- Global Parameter Identification of Stochastic Reaction Networks from Single Trajectories / Christian L. Müller, Rajesh Ramaswamy and Ivo F. Sbalzarini -- A Systems Biology View of Adaptation in Sensory Mechanisms / Pablo A. Iglesias -- Leveraging Modeling Approaches: Reaction Networks and Rules / Michael L. Blinov and Ion I. Moraru -- Part 5. Applications of systems biology in medicine, biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry --Why and How to Expand the Role of Systems Biology in Pharmaceutical Research and Development / Robert D. Phair -- Multiscale Mechanistic Modeling in Pharmaceutical Research and Development / Lars Kuepfer, Jörg Lippert and Thomas Eissing -- Re-analysis of Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia Gene Expression Complements the Kraepelinian Dichotomy / Kui Qian, Antonio Di Lieto, Jukka Corander, Petri Auvinen and Dario Greco -- Bringing Together Models from Bottom-Up and Top-Down Approaches: An Application for Growth of Escherichia coli on Different Carbohydrates / Andeas Kremling -- A Differential Equation Model to Investigate the Dynamics of the Bovine Estrous Cycle / H. M. T. Boer, C. Stötzel, S. Röblitz and H. Woelders -- Reducing Systems Biology to Practice in Pharmaceutical Company Research; Selected Case Studies / N. Benson, L. Cucurull-Sanchez, O. Demin, S. Smirnov and P. van der Graaf -- System-Scale Network Modeling of Cancer Using EPoC / Tobias Abenius, Rebecka Jörnsten, Teresia Kling, Linnéa Schmidt and José Sánchez, et al. -- Early Patient Stratification and Predictive Biomarkers in Drug Discovery and Development / Daphna Laifenfeld, David A. Drubin, Natalie L. Catlett, Jennifer S. Park and Aaron A. Van Hooser, et al. -- Biomedical Atlases: Systematics, Informatics and Analysis / Richard A. Baldock and Albert Burger.
- African biodiversity 2005, SpringerComplementarity of species distributions as a tool for prioritising conservation actions in Africa : testing the efficiency of using coarse-scale distribution data / J. Fjeldså, H. Tushabe -- Scorpion diversity and distribution in southern Africa : pattern and process / L. Prendini -- Madagascar as a model region for the study of tempo and pattern in adaptive radiations / M. Vences -- Commemorating Martin Eisentraut (1902-1994) - important explorer of tropical African vertebrates / W. Böhme -- Earwigs (Dermaptera:Insects) of Kenya : checklist and species new to Kenya / F. Haas ... [et al.] -- Morphometric differentiation in the East African grasshopper genus Afrophlaebo Jago, 1983 (Orthoptera:Acrididae) / A. Hochkirch -- Katydids and crickets (Orthoptera: Ensifera) of the Kakamega Forest Reserve, western Kenya / J. Holstein ... [et al.] -- Ecology and diversity of canopy associated Ceratocanthidae (Insecta:Coleoptera, Scarabaeoidea) in an Afrotropical rainforest / A. Ballerio, T. Wagner -- Human influence on the dung fauna in Afrotropical grasslands (Insecta:Coleoptera) / F.-T. Krell ... [et al.] -- Genuine Africans or Tertiary immigrants? : the genus Hydropsyche in the Afrotropical region (Insecta, Trichoptera:Hydropsychidae) / W. Mey -- Fruit-feeding butterfly communities of forest 'islands' in Ghana : survey completeness and correlates of spatial diversity / J.L. Bossart ... [et al.] -- Biogeography, diversity, and ecology of sawflies in the Afromontane region (Insecta: Symphyta) / F. Koch -- Diversity, distribution patterns, and endemism of southern African bees (Hymenoptera:Apoidea) / M. Kuhlmann -- Does grazing influence bee diversity? / C. Mayer -- The pholcid spiders of Africa (Araneae:Pholcidae) : state of knowledge and directions for future research / B.A. Huber -- West African fish diversity : distribution patterns and possible conclusions for conservation strategies / T. Moritz, K.E. Linsenmair -- Distribution and population density of the black-eared Malagasy poison frog, Mantella milotympanum Staniszewski, 1996 (Amphibia:Mantellidae) / D.R. Vieites ... [et al.] -- Amphibian and reptile diversity in the Southern Udzungwa Scarp Forest Reserve, south-eastern Tanzania / M. Menegon, S. Salvidio -- Interpreting morphological and molecular data on Indian Ocean giant tortoises / J. Gerlach -- Molecular systematics of African Colubroidea (Squamata:Serpentes) / Z.T. Nagy ... [et al.] --How to digitize large insect collections : preliminary results of the DIG project / K.-H. Lampe, D. Striebing -- Monitoring landcover changes of the Niger inland delta ecosystem (Mali) by means of ENVISAT-MERIS data / R. Seiler, E. Csaplovics, E. Vollmer -- Is geodiversity correlated to biodiversity? : a case study of the relationship between spatial heterogeneity of soil resources and tree diversity in a western Kenyan rainforest / W. Musila ... [et al.] -- Decline of woody species in the Sahel / A. Wezel -- Diversity over time and space in enset landraces (Ensete ventricosum) in Ethiopia / K. Zippel.Phylogeny and biogeography of Malagasy dwarf geckos, Lygodactylus Gray, 1864 : preliminary data from mitochondrial DNA sequences (Squamata:Gekkonidae) / M. Puente, M. Thomas, M. Vences -- Variability in a common species : the Lygodactylus capensis complex from southern and eastern Africa (Reptilia, Gekkonidae) / B. Röll -- Migration within and out of Africa : identifying knowledge gaps by data-mining the Global Register of Migratory Species / K. Riede -- Avifaunal responses to landscape-scale habitat fragmentation in the littoral forests of south-eastern Madagascar / J.E.M. Watson -- Use of satellite telemetry and remote sensing data to identify important habitats of migratory birds (Ciconia ciconia (Linnaeus 1758)) / B. Gerkmann, K. Riede -- Conservation priorities and geographical variation in flycatchers (Aves:Platysteiridae) in the Democratic Republic of Congo / M. Louette -- Rare weavers (Aves:Ploceidae) : are some Ploceus species hybrids? / A.J.F.K. Craig -- Historical determinants of mammal diversity in Africa : evolution of mammalian body mass distribution in Africa and South America during Neogene and Quaternary times / M. Nieto ... [et al.] -- Diversity and abundance of diurnal primates and forest antelopes in relation to habitat quality : a case study from the Udzungwa Mountains of Tanzania / F. Rovero, A.R. Marshall -- Small mammal diversity and reproduction along a transect in Namibia (BIOTA S 07) / P. Giere, U. Zeller -- Possible karyological affinities of small mammals from north of the Ethiopian Plateau / N. Sh. Bulatova, L.A. Lavrenchenko -- Geographic variation in the West African scaly-tailed squirrel Anomalurus pelii (Schlegel and Müller, 1845) and description of a new subspecies (Rodentia:Anomaluridae) / A.C. Schunke, R. Hutterer -- Middle ear ossicles as a diagnostic trait in African mole-rats (Rodentia:Bathyergidae) / S. Lange ... [et al.] -- Community analysis of Muridae (Mammalia, Rodentia) diversity in Guinea : a special emphasis on Mastomys species and Lassa fever distributions / C. Denys ... [et al.] -- Effects of different land use on the parasite burden and MHC constitution of two rodent species (Gerbillurus paeba, Rhabdomys pumilio) in the southern Kalahari desert / R. Harf, G. Froeschke, S. Sommer -- An assessment of the systematics of the genus Desmomys Thomas, 1910 (Rodentia:Muridae) using mitochondrial DNA sequences / L.A. Lavrenchenko, E. Verheyen -- Integrative taxonomy and phylogenetic systematics of the genets (Carnivora, Viverridae, Genetta) : a new classification of the most speciose carnivoran genus in Africa / P. Gaubert, P.J. Taylor, G. Veron --
- Algae and cyanobacteria in extreme environments 2007, Springer
- Allelochemicals 2006, Springer
- Amazing numbers in biology 2006, Springer
- Art of deliberating 2012, SpringerDeliberation and Democracy --Plato Was Not So Far Wrong: Recalling Athenian Democracy --A Reappraisal of the Medieval Approach Will Lead to Excellent Deliberators --Beware of Those Who Think They Possess the Truth! --Let Us Learn How to Deliberate before Deliberating! --Between Ethics and Biomedicine.
- Automated taxon identification in systematics 2007, CRCnetBASE
- Behavioral flexibility in primates 2005, Springer
- Bill Ricker 2006, Springer
- Biodiversity databases 2007, CRCnetBASEThe global biodiversity information facility (GBIF) / Meredith A. Lane and James. L. Edwards -- The European network for biodiversity information / Wouter Los and Cees H.J. Hof -- Networking taxonomic concepts--uniting without 'unitary-ism' / Walter G. Berendsohn and Mark Geoffrey -- Networking biological collections databases : building a European infrastructure / Malcolm J. Scoble and Walter G. Berendsohn -- A comparison between morphometric and artifical neural network approaches to the automated species recognition problem in systematics / Norman MacLeod, M. O'Neill, and Steven A. Walsh -- Automated extraction of biodiversity data from taxonomic descriptions / Gordon B. Curry and Richard J. Connor -- The grid and biodiversity informatics / Andrew C. Jones -- LIAS--an interactive database system from structured descriptive data of ascomycetes / Dagmar Triebel ... [et al.] -- Linking biodiversity databases : preparing species diversity information sources by assembling, merging and linking databases / Richard J. White -- Priority areas for rattan conservation on Borneo / Jacob Andersen Sterling ... [et al].
- Biology of sharks and their relatives 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Biology of the Southern Ocean. 2nd ed. 2006, CRCnetBASEThe southern ocean -- Phytoplankton and primary production -- Sea-ice microbial communities -- Zooplankton -- Krill -- Nekton -- Fish -- Seals -- Whales -- Birds -- Benthic communities -- The fast ice and ice shelves -- Ice-edge processes -- Decomposition and the roles of bacteria and protozoa -- Ecosystem dynamics -- Resource exploitation -- Ecosystem changes resulting from resource exploitation -- Management of living resources -- Ultraviolet radiation -- Global warming and Antarctic marine ecosystems -- Human impact.
- Biology of turtles 2008, CRCnetBASEHow the turtle gets its shell / Scott F. Gilbert, Judith A. Cebra-Thomas, and Ann C. Burke -- Comparative ontogenetic and phylogenetic aspects of Chelonian chondro-osseous growth and skeletochronology / Melissa L. Snover and Anders G.J. Rhodin -- Evolution and structure of the turtle shell / Peter C.H. Pritchard -- Long bone allometry in tortoises and turtles / Gustavo A. Llorente ... [et al.] -- Evolution of locomotion in aquatic turtles / Sabine Renous ... [et al.] -- Hindlimb function in turtle locomotion : limb movements and muscular activation across taxa, environment, and ontogeny / Richard W. Blob, Angela R.V. Rivera, and Mark W. Westneat -- Cervical anatomy and function in turtles / Anthony Herrel, Johan Van Damme, and Peter Aerts -- Functional evolution of feeding behavior in turtles / Vincent Bels ... [et al.] -- The structure of cardiopulmonary systems of turtles : implications for behavior / Jeanette Wyneken -- Reproductive structures and strategies of turtles / Jeffrey D. Miller and Stephen A. Dinkelacker -- Mixed and uniform brood sex ratio strategy in turtles : the facts, the theory, and their consequences / Vincent Hulin ... [et al.] -- The physiology and anatomy of anoxia tolerance in the freshwater turtle brain / Sarah L. Milton -- The relationships of turtles with amniotes / Olivier Rieppel.
- Biophysics of photosynthesis 2014, Springer"The volume is intended as an introduction to the physical principles governing the main processes that occur in photosynthesis, with emphasis on the light reactions and electron transport chain. A unique feature of the photosynthetic apparatus is the fact that the molecular structures are known in detail for essentially all of its major components. The availability of this data has allowed their functions to be probed at a very fundamental level to discover the design principles that have guided evolution. Other volumes on photosynthesis have tended to focus on single components or on a specific set of biophysical techniques, and the authors' goal is to provide new researchers with an introduction to the overall field of photosynthesis. The book is divided into sections, each dealing with one of the main physical processes in photosynthetic energy conversion. Each section has several chapters each describing the role that a basic physical property, such as charge or spin, plays in governing the process being discussed. The chapters proceed in an orderly fashion from a quantum mechanical description of early processes on an ultrafast timescale to a classical treatment of electron transfer and catalysis on a biochemical timescale culminating in evolutionary principles on a geological timescale."--Publisher's website.
- Bones, stones, and molecules 2004, ScienceDirectIntroduction -- Evolution of the Miocene great apes -- Later Miocene and Pliocene hominids -- Our kind of hominins -- A systematic scheme for the Pliocene and Early Pleistocene hominids -- The first African exodus : the emergence of early homo in Europe and Asia -- Human evolution in the Middle Pleistocene -- "The grisly folk" : the emergence of the Neanderthals -- The second African exodus : the emergence of modern humans -- The emergence of modern humans in Asia and in Australia -- Epilogue.
- Bonobos 2008, SpringerThe bonobo's adaptive potential : social relations under captive conditions / Jeroen M.G. Stevens, Hilde Vervaecke and Linda Van Elsacker -- What does agonistic dominance imply in bonobos? / Tommaso Paoli and Elisabetta Palagi -- Social play in bonobos : not only an immature matter / Elisabetta Palagi and Tommaso Paoli -- Gestures and multimodal signaling in bonobos / Amy S. Pollick, Annette Jeneson and Frans B.M. de Waal -- Longitudinal structure of a unit-group of bonobos : male philopatry and possible fusion of unit-groups / Chie Hashimoto ... [et al.] -- Seasonal changes in fruit production and party size of bonobos at Wamba / Mbangi Mulavwa ... [et al.] -- Relationships among fruit abundance, ranging rate, and party size and composition of bonobos at Wamba / Takeshi Furuichi ... [et al.] -- Bonobo (Pan paniscus) density estimation in the SW-Salonga National Park, Democratic Republic of Congo : common methodology revisited / Meike Mohneke and Barbara Fruth -- Ecological factors influencing bonobo density and distribution in the Salonga National Park : applications for population assessment / Gay Edwards Reinartz ... [et al.] -- Range occupation and population estimates of bonobos in the Salonga National Park : application to large-scale surveys of bonobos in the Democratic Republic of Congo / Falk Grossmann ... [et al.] -- Traditional land-use practices for bonobo conservation / Jo Myers Thompson, Lubuta Mbokoso Nestor and Richard Bovundja Kabanda -- Human hunting and its impact on bonobos in the Salonga National Park, Democratic Republic of Congo / John A. Hart ... [et al.] -- The bonobos of the Lake Tumba-Lake Maindombe hinterland : threats and opportunities for population conservation / Bila-Isia Inogwabini ... [et al.] -- Changes in the status of bonobos, their habitat, and the situation of humans at Wamba in the Luo Scientific Reserve, Democratic Republic of Congo / Gen'ichi Idani ... [et al.] -- The conservation value of Lola ya Bonobo sanctuary / Claudine André ... [et al.].
- Bridges to independence 2005, NAP
- Cardio-respiratory control in vertebrates 2009, SpringerOverview of the respiratory system / S.C. Wood -- Control of respiration in aquatic vertebrates: Gas transport and gill function in water-breathing fish / S.F. Perry ... [et al.]. Patterns of acid-base regulation during exposure to hypercarbia in fishes / C.J. Brauner and D.W. Baker. Buoyancy control in aquatic vertebrates / B. Pelster. Gas exchange and control of respiration in air-breathing teleost fish / M.L. Glass and F.T. Rantin. Effects of temperature on cardiac function in teleost fish / A.L. Kalinin ... [et al.]. Physiological evidence indicates lungfish as a sister group to the land vertebrates / M.L. Glass. Aestivation in amphibians, reptiles, and lungfish / M.L. Glass, J. Amin-Naves, and G.S.F. da Silva -- Evolution of pulmonary mechaincs and respiratory control: Trade-offs in the evolution of the respiratory apparatus of chordates / S.F. Perry, W. Klein, and J.R. Codd. Environmental selection pressures shaping the pulmonary surfactant system of adult and developing lungs / S. Orgeig and C.B. Daniels. Midbrain structures and control of ventilation in amphibians / L.H. Gargaglioni and L.G.S. Branco. Comparative aspects of hypoxia tolerance of the ectothermic vertebrate heart / H. Gesser and J. Overgaard. Control of the heart and of cardiorespiratory interactions in ectothermic vertebrates / E.W. Taylor and T. Wang. The endocrine-paracrine control of the cardiovascular system / B. Tota and M.C. Cerra. Stoking the brightest fires of life among vertebrates / Raul K. Suarez and Kenneth C. Welch -- Respiratory physiology of birds : metabolic control: Prenatal development of cardiovascular regulation in avian species / J. Altimiras, D.A. Crossley II, and E. Villamor. Control of breathing in birds : implications for high-altitude flight / G.R. Scott and W.K. Milsom -- Mammalian and human physiology: Peripheral chemoreceptors in mammals : structure, function and transduction / P. Kumar. Central chemosensitivity in mammals / L.K. Hartzler and R.W. Putnam. Human exercise physiology / S. Volianitis and Niels H. Secher.
- Cellular origin and life in extreme habitats v. 1-4, 1999-2002., Springer
- Cellular origin, life in extreme habitats and astrobiology v. 5-, 2002-, Springer
- Chemistry of evolution 2006, ScienceDirect1. The evolution of earth-the geochemical partner of the global ecosystem (5 billion years of history) -- 2. Basic chemistry of the ecosystem -- 3. Energy, order and disorder, and organised systems -- 4. Outline of biological chemical principles : components, pathways and controls -- 5. First steps in evolution of prokaryotes : anaerobic chemotypes four to three billion years ago -- 6. The evolution of protoaerobic and aerobic prokaryote chemotypes (three to two billion years ago) -- 7. Unicellular eukaryotes chemotypes (about one and a half billion years ago?) -- 8. Multi-cellular eukaryote chemotypes (from one billion years ago) -- 9. The evolution of chemotypes with nerves and a brain (0.5 billion years ago to today) -- 10. Evolution due to mankind : a completely novel chemotype (less than one hundred thousand years ago) -- 11. Conclusion : the inevitable factors in evolution
- Circadian clocks 2013, SpringerMolecular and cellular basis of circadian clocks -- Molecular components of the mammalian circadian clock / Ethan D. Buhr and Joseph S. Takahashi -- The epigenetic language of circadian clocks / Saurabh Sahar and Paolo Sassone-Corsi -- Peripheral circadian oscillators in mammals / Steven A. Brown and Abdelhalim Azzi -- Cellular mechanisms of circadian pacemaking: beyond transcriptional loops / John S. O'Neill, Elizabeth S. Maywood, and Michael H. Hastings -- The clock in the brain: neurons, glia, and networks in daily rhythms / Emily Slat, G. Mark Freeman Jr., and Erik D. Herzog -- Circadian control of physiology and behavior -- Circadian clocks and metabolism / Biliana Marcheva, Kathryn M. Ramsey, Clara B. Peek, Alison Affinati, Eleonore Maury, and Joseph Bass -- The circadian control of sleep / Simon P. Fisher, Russell G. Foster, and Stuart N. Peirson -- Daily regulation of hormone profiles / Andries Kalsbeek and Eric Fliers -- Circadian clocks and mood-related behaviors / Urs Albrecht -- Chronopharmacology and chronotherapy -- Molecular clocks in pharmacology / Erik S. Musiek and Garret A. FitzGerald -- Cancer chronotherapeutics: experimental, theoretical,and clinical aspects / E. Ortiz-Tudela, A. Mteyrek, A. Ballesta, P.F. Innominato, and F. Lévi -- Pharmacological modulators of the circadian clock as potential therapeutic drugs: focus on genotoxic/anticancer therapy / Marina P. Antoch and Roman V. Kondratov -- Light and the human circadian clock / Till Roenneberg, Thomas Kantermann, Myriam Juda, Ceéline Vetter, and Karla V. Allebrandt -- Systems biology of circadian clocks -- Mathematical modeling in chronobiology / G. Bordyugov, P.O. Westermark, A. Korenčič, S. Bernard, and H. Herzel -- Mammalian circadian clock: the roles of transcriptional repression and delay / Yoichi Minami, Koji L. Ode, and Hiroki R. Ueda -- Genome-wide analyses of circadian systems / Akhilesh B. Reddy -- Proteomic approaches in circadian biology / Maria S. Robles and Matthias Mann.
- Circadian rhythms 2005, ScienceDirectGenetic approaches to circadian clocks -- Tracking circadian control of gene activity -- Molecular cycles : clock protein rhythms -- Anatomical representation of neural clocks -- Mosaic circadian systems -- Peripheral circadian clocks -- Cell and tissue culture system -- Intercellular signaling -- Photoresponsive clocks -- Sleeping flies -- Circadian biology of populations -- Circadian clocks affecting noncircadian biology.
- Combinatorial pattern matching algorithms in computational biology using Perl and R 2009, CRCnetBASE
- Compact handbook of computational biology 2004, CRCnetBASEIntroduction : computational biology in 14 brief paragraphs /Andrzej K. Konopka and M. James C. Crabbe --Introduction to pragmatic analysis of nucleic acid sequences /Andrzej K. Konopka --Motifs in sequences : localization and extraction /Maxime Crochemore and Marie-France Sagot --Protein sequence analysis and prediction of secondary structural features /Jaap Heringa --Discrete models of biopolymers /Peter Schuster and Peter F. Stadler --Protein structure folding and prediction /William R. Taylor --DNA-protein interactions : target prediction /Akinori Sarai and Hidetoshi Kono --Methods of computational genomics : an overview /Frederique Lisacek --Computational aspects of comparative genomics /Wojciech Makalowski and Izabela Makalowska --Computational methods for studying the evolution of the mitochondrial genome /Cecilia Saccone and Graziano Pesole --Appendix 1:Computational biology : annotated glossary of terms /Andrzej K. Konopka ... [et. al.] --Appendix 2 :Adictionary of programs for sequence analysis /Andrzej K. Konopka and Jaap Heringa.
- Conceptual ecology and invasion biology 2006, Springer
- Concise handbook of experimental methods for the behavioral and biological sciences 2002, CRCnetBASE
- CRC Handbook of avian body masses. 2nd ed. 2008, CRCnetBASE
- CRC Handbook of organic photochemistry and photobiology. 2nd ed. 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Current protocols in cell biology 2002-, Wileych. 1. Cell Culture -- ch. 2. Preparation and Isolation of Cells -- ch. 3. Subcellular Fractionation and Isolation of Organelles -- ch. 4. Microscopy -- ch. 5. Characterization of Cellular Proteins -- ch. 6. Electrophoresis and Immunoblotting -- ch. 7. Protein Labeling and Immunoprecipitation -- ch. 8. Cell Cycle Analysis -- ch. 9. Cell Adhesion -- ch. 10. Extracellular Matrix -- ch. 11. In Vitro Reconstitution -- ch. 12. Cell Motility -- ch. 13. Organelle Motility -- ch. 14. Signal Transduction: Protein Phosphorylation -- ch. 15. Protein Trafficking -- ch. 16. Antibodies as Cell Biological Tools -- ch. 17. Macromolecular Interactions in Cells -- ch. 18. Cellular Aging and Death -- ch. 19. Whole Organism and Tissue Analysis -- ch. 20. Expression and Introduction of Macromolecules into Cells -- ch. 21. Fluorescent Protein Technology -- ch. 22. Cell Biology of Chromosomes and Nuclei -- ch. 23. Stem Cells -- ch. 24. Lipids -- ch. 25. Nanotechnology -- ch. 26. Viruses -- ch. 27. RNA-Based Methods in Cell Biology -- Appendix 1. Useful Information and Data -- Appendix 2. Laboratory Stock Solutions and Equipment -- Appendix 3. Commonly Used Techniques -- Appendix. Suppliers.
- Decision making 2013, ScienceDirectThis well-established international series examines major areas of basic and clinical research within neuroscience, as well as emerging and promising subfields.This volume explores interdisciplinary research on decision making taking a neural and behavioural approach *Leading authors review the state-of-the-art in their field of investigation, and provide their views and perspectives for future research *Chapters are extensively referenced to provide readers with a comprehensive list of resources on the topics covered *All chapters include comprehensive background information and are written in a clear form that is also accessible to the non-specialist.
- Developing synthetic transport systems 2013, SpringerUnderstanding the general laws of an effective system for the transport of substances in cells is an important goal of systems and synthetic biology and will help us to answer why the transport subsystem of a cell is arranged as it is. In addition, the construction of models for optimizing transport systems is of considerable importance in the early stages in the development of a functioning protocell. The aim of this book is to describe the latest techniques for the calculation of the optimal parameters of the transport subsystem of a cell at its maximum efficiency.
- Development and engineering of dopamine neurons 2009, SpringerDevelopment of the dopamine systems in zebrafish / Jørn Schweitzer and Wolfgang Driever -- Dopamine systems in the forebrain / John W. Cave and Harriet Baker -- The role of Otx genes in progenitor domains of ventral midbrain / Antonio Simeone ... [et al.] -- Terminal differentiation of mesodiencephalic dopaminergic neurons : the role of Nurr1 and Pitx3 / Marten P. Smidt and J. Peter H. Burbach -- Foxa1 and Foxa2 transcription factors regulate differentiation of midbrain dopaminergic neurons / Siew-Lan Ang -- Transcriptional regulation of their survival : the engrailed homeobox genes / Horst H. Simon and Kambiz N. Alavian -- Neurotrophic support of midbrain dopaminergic neurons / Oliver von Bohlen und Halbach and Klaus Unsicker -- TGF in dopamine neuron development, maintenance, and neuroprotection / Eleni Roussa, Oliver von Bohlen und Halbach, and Kerstin Krieglstein -- Axon guidance in the dopamine system / Asheeta A. Prasad and R. Jeroen Pasterkamp -- Protocols for generating ES-cell-derived dopamine neurons / Sonja Kriks and Lorenz Studer -- Molecular and cellular determinants for generating ES-cell-derived dopamine neurons for cell therapy / -- Jan Pruszak and Ole Isacson.
- Dictionary of marine natural products ... 2008, CRCnetBASE
- Diseases of mites and ticks 2009, Springer
- Dormancy and resistance in harsh environments 2010, SpringerMany organisms have evolved the ability to enter into and revive from a dormant state. They can survive for long periods in this state (often even months to years), yet can become responsive again within minutes or hours. This is often, but not necessarily, associated with desiccation. Preserving one 's body and reviving it in future generations is a dream of mankind. To date, however, we have failed to learn how cells, tissues or entire organisms can be made dormant or be effectively revived at ambient temperatures. In this book studies on organisms, ranging from aquatic cyanobacteria that produce akinetes to hibernating mammals, are presented, and reveal common but also divergent physiological and molecular pathways for surviving in a dormant form or for tolerating harsh environments. Attempting to learn the functions associated with dormancy and how they are regulated is one of the great future challenges. Its relevance to the preservation of cells and tissues is one of the key concerns of this book
- Drosophila 2006, ScienceDirect
- Echinoderms 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Ecological and societal approach to biological control 2006, Springer
- Disturbance, survival, and succession : understanding ecological responses to the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens / Virginia H. Dale, Frederick J. Swanson and Charles M. Crisafulli -- Geological and ecological settings of Mount St. Helens before May 18, 1980 / Frederick J. Swanson, Charles M. Crisafulli and David K. Yamaguchi -- Physical events, environments, and geological-ecological interactions at Mount St. Helens : March 1980-2004 / Frederick J. Swanson and Jon J. Major -- Plant responses in forests of the tephra-fall zone / Joseph A. Antos and Donald B. Zobel -- Plant succession on the Mount St. Helens debris-avalanche deposit / Virginia H. Dale ... [et al.] -- Geomorphic change and vegetation development on the Muddy River mudflow deposit / Peter M. Frenzen ... [et al.] -- Proximity, microsites, and biotic interactions during early succession / Roger del Moral, David M. Wood and Jonathan H. Titus --Remote sensing of vegetation responses during the first 20 years following the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens : a spatially and temporally stratified analysis / Rick Lawrence -- Arthropods as pioneers in the regeneration of life on the pyroclastic-flow deposits of Mount St. Helens / John S. Edwards and Patrick M. Sugg -- Posteruption arthropod succession on the Mount St. Helens volcano : the ground-dwelling beetle fauna (Coleoptera) / Robert R. Parmenter ... [et al.] -- Causes and consequences of herbivory on prairie lupine (Lupinus lepidus) in early primary succession / John G. Bishop ... [et al.] -- Responses of fish to the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens / Peter A. Bisson ... [et al.] -- Amphibian responses to the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens / Charles M. Crisafulli ... [et al.] -- Small-mammal survival and colonization on the Mount St. Helens volcano : 1980-2002 / Charles M. Crisafulli, James A. MacMahon and Robert R. Parmenter --Mycorrhizae and Mount St. Helens : story of a symbiosis / Michael F. Allen ... [et al.] -- Patterns of decomposition and nutrient cycling across a volcanic disturbance gradient : a case study using rodent carcasses / Robert R. Parmenter -- Lupine effects on soil development and function during early primary succession at Mount St. Helens / Jonathan J. Halvorson, Jeffrey L. Smith and Ann C. Kennedy -- Response and recovery of lakes / Clifford N. Dahm ... [et al.] -- Ecological perspectives on management of the Mount St. Helens landscape / Virginia H. Dale, Frederick J. Swanson and Charles M. Crisafulli -- Overview of ecological responses to the eruption of Mount St. Helens : 1980-2005 / Charles M. Crisafulli, Frederick J. Swanson and Virginia H. Dale.
- Ecology and behaviour of Mesozoic reptiles 2005, Springer
- Ecology of harmful algae 2006, Springer
- Effects of noise on aquatic life 2012, SpringerPart I. Introduction -- Part II. Sound Detection by Aquatic Animals -- Part III. Sound Production by Aquatic Animals -- Part IV. Physiological Effects of Sounds -- Part V. Anthropogenic Sounds and Behavior -- Part VI. Population Effects -- Part VII. Anthropogenic Sound Sources and Their Measurement -- Part VIII. Science, Regulation and Sound Exposure Criteria -- Part IX. Monitoring, Management and Mitigation -- Part X. Workshops and Concluding Remarks.
- Emergent collective properties, networks and information in biology. 1st ed. 2006, ScienceDirect
- A fully searchable, working editorial site of articles by scientists and scientific historians in the fields of biochemistry and physiology, cell biology, developmental biology, ecology, evolution, genetics, immunology, molecular biology, neuroscience, microbiology and virology, plant science, structural biology, and science and society.
- Ethical and philosophical consideration of the dual-use dilemma in the biological sciences 2008, Springer
- The primary nose and palate in evolution -- The primary nose and palate in human embryo development -- Parallels between evolution and development of the nose -- The seemingly simple formation of the secondary palate and nose in the human embryo -- The complex formation of the secondary palate and nose in evolution -- A theory of secondary palate formation -- Primary and secondary palates : primary and secondary nasal fossae -- Olfactory and respiratory nasal fossae -- Is the human ethmoid labyrinth a sinus? -- Understanding the anatomy of the human nose -- Formation of the paranasal air sinues -- The nose in midface development -- Reminder of the normal embryologic development of the human brain -- Phylogenetic origins of the visual and olfactory organs -- Lessons from midface malformations associated to holoprosencephaly -- The evo-devo scenario of nose and midface formation -- A help to teaching anatomy -- Medical hypothesis and perspectives -- Evolutionary and develomental (evo-devo) medicine.
- Evolution 2009, Cold Spring Harb Lab Press
- Evolutionary biology from concept to application 2008, SpringerI. Modelization of Evolution -- Rate of Adaptation of Large Populations / Feng Yu and Alison Etheridge, p. 3-27 -- A Phylogenetic Mixture Model for Heterotachy / Andrew Meade and Mark Pagel, p. 29-41 -- II. Concepts in Evolutionary Biology -- Accelerated Evolution of Genes of Recent Origin / Macarena Toll-Riera, Jose Castresana and M. Mar Albà, p. 45-59 -- Life-Cycle Features of Tumour Cells / Jekaterina Erenpreisa and Mark S. Cragg, 61-71 -- General Evolutionary Regularities of Organic and Social Life / Valeria I. Mikhalevich, p. 73-94 -- Old and New Concepts in EvoDevo / Margherita Raineri, p. 95-114 -- III. Knowledge -- Overturning the Prejudices about Hydra and Metazoan Evolution / Hiroshi Shimizu, p. 117-134 -- The Search for the Origin of Cnidarian Nematocysts in Dinoflagellates / Jung Shan Hwang, Satoshi Nagai, Shiho Hayakawa, Yasuharu Takaku and Takashi Gojobori, p. 135-152 -- IV. Applied Evolutionary Biology -- A Possible Relationship Between the Phylogenetic Branch Lengths and the Chaetognath rRNA Paralog Gene Functionalities: Ubiquitous, Tissue-Specific or Pseudogenes / Roxane-Marie Barthélémy, Michel Grino, Pierre Pontarotti, Jean-Paul Casanova and Eric Faure, p. 155-164 -- Mode and Tempo of matK : Gene Evolution and Phylogenetic Implications / Khidir W. Hilu and Michelle M. Barthet, p. 165-179 -- Phylogeography and Conservation of the Rare South African Fruit Chafer Ichnestoma stobbiai (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) / Ute Kryger and Clarke H. Scholtz, p. 181-196 -- Nothing in Medicine Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution: A Review / Bernard Swynghedauw, p. 197-207 -- An Overview of Evolutionary Biology Concepts for Functional Annotation: Advances and Challenges / Anthony Levasseur and Pierre Pontarotti, p. 209-215.
- Evolutionary systems biology 2012, Springer
- Extremophiles. 1st ed. 2007, ScienceDirect
- Fluorescence spectroscopy in biology 2005, SpringerPt. 1. Fluorescence spectroscopy: basics and advanced approaches. Basics of fluorescence spectroscopy in biosciences / M. Hof, V. Fidler and R. Hutterer -- Pulse and phase fluorometries: an objective comparison / B. Valeur -- Non-exponential fluorescence of electronically coupled donors contains distance information / S. Kalinin, M. Isaksson and L.B.-Å. Johansson -- Fluorescence nanotomography: recent progress, constraints and opportunities / O.J. Rolinski and D.J.S. Birch -- Solvent relaxation as a tool for probing micro-polarity and -fluidity / J. Sýkora, R. Hutterer and M. Hof -- Total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy: applications in biophysics / N.L. Thompson and J.K. Pero -- Single molecule spectroscopy: basics and applications / J. Enderlein --Pt. 2. Application of fluorescence spectroscopy to biological membranes. Raft microdomains in model membranes as revealed by fluorescence quenching / G. Duportail -- The lateral structure of lipid membranes as seen by fluorescence microscopy / L.A. Bagatolli -- Pt. 3. Application of fluorescence spectroscopy to protein studies. Protein dynamics and protein folding dynamics revealed by time-resolved fluorescence / A. Saxena, J.B. Upgaonkar and G. Krishnamoorthy -- Time-resolved fluorescence and two-photon FCS investigation of the interaction of HIV-1 nucleocapsid protein with hairpin loop oligonucleotides / J. Azoulay ... [et al.] -- Pt. 4. Application of fluorescence spectroscopy to DNA and drug delivery. Fluorescence techniques in non-viral gene therapy / N. Adjimatera, A.P. Neal and I.S. Blagbrough -- Fluorescence applications in targeted drug delivery / K. Bryl and M. Langner -- Pt. 5. Fluorescence spectroscopy in cells: FCS and quantum dots. Fluorescence correlations spectroscopy in cell biology / B. Brock -- Fluorescence quantum dots: properties and applications / M.R. Warnement and S.J. Rosenthal -- Heat stress of cancer cells: fluorescence imaging of structural changes with quantum dots 605 and alexa 488.
- Foundations of systematics and biogeography 2008, SpringerIntroduction: Systematics, evolution, and classification -- Systematics as problem solving -- The archetype -- Ernest Haeckel and systematische phylogenie -- The German development of morphology: from Ernest Haeckel to Willie Hanning -- Pattern Cladistics -- Homologues and homology -- Discovering homologues -- Homology and systematics -- Homology and transformation -- Character conflict -- The analyses of relationships -- Biogeograhical relationships, evolution, and classification.
- Fungal community. 3rd ed. 2005, CRCnetBASE
- Fungi. 2nd ed. 2001, ScienceDirectThe fungi as a major group of organisms -- Fungal diversity -- Fungal cells and vegetative growth -- Spores, dormancy and dispersal -- Genetic variation and evolution -- Saprotrophs and ecosystems -- Parasites and mutualistic symbionts -- Fungi and biotechnology -- Glossary of common mycological terms -- Classification of fungi.
- Future of life and the future of our civilization 2006, Springer
- Genetics of adaptation 2005, Springer
- Genome mapping and genomics in animal-associated microbes 2009, Springer
- Genome mapping and genomics in arthropods 2008, SpringerHoneybee / D. Schlipalius, P.R. Ebert, G.J. Hunt -- Bumblebee / L. Wilfert, P. Schmid-Hempel, J. Gadau -- The jewel wasp - Nasonia / J. Gadau ... [et al.] -- Silkworm / Y. Yasukochi, H. Fujii, M.R. Goldsmith -- Pea aphid / J.A. Brisson, G.K. Davis -- Mosquito / D.W. Severson -- Hessian fly / J.J. Stuart, M.-S. Chen, M.O. Harris -- Tick / A.J. Ullmann, J.J. Stuart, C.A. Hill.
- Genome mapping and genomics in fishes and aquatic animals 2008, Springer
- Glycobiology and medicine 2005, Springer
- Golden mouse 2008, SpringerThe golden mouse : a levels-of-organization perspective / Gary W. Barrett -- The golden mouse : taxonomy and natural history / George A. Feldhamer and Donald W. Linzey -- Population ecology of the golden mouse / Robert K. Rose -- Community ecology of the golden mouse / Cory C. Christopher and Guy N. Cameron -- Ecosystem ecology of the golden mouse / Steven W. Seagle -- Landscape ecology of the golden mouse / Jerry O. Wolff and Gary W. Barrett -- Relative abundance and conservation : is the golden mouse a rare species? / George A. Feldhamer and Anita T. Morzillo -- The golden mouse : a model of energetic efficiency / John D. Peles and Gary W. Barrett -- Nesting ecology of the golden mouse : an oikos engineer / Thomas M. Luhring and Gary W. Barrett -- Ectoparasites, bots, and vector-borne diseases associated with the golden mouse / Lance A. Durden -- Aesthetic landscapes of the golden mouse / Terry L. Barrett and Gary W. Barrett -- Future challenges and research opportunities : what do we really know? / Gary W. Barrett and George A. Feldhamer.
- Handbook of chemical and biological warfare agents. 2nd ed. 2008, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of vitamin D in human health 2013, SpringerResearch and clinical application of vitamin D has increased dramatically over the past decade stimulated by novel health promotion discoveries and documentation. This book brings together key researchers with their views focusing on the health promotion role of vitamin D. Such information is vital to clinicians, users of vitamin D supplements of all ages and those interested in public policy. The authors document and define many of the key health related roles of vitamin D. Its traditional application in bone and muscle health as well as therapy of arthritis is expanded and clarified with new research. A better understanding of the effects of vitamin D inadequacy is modelled using problems ranging from infant growth retardation to chronic kidney and periodontal disease. Uniquely the vitamin?s role in resistance and treatment of infectious diseases is shown in examples ranging from HIV/AIDS to tuberculosis. Mechanistic understanding of vitamin D's actions is enhanced by looking into its effects on immune modulation and inflammation. Expansion of the role of sunlight in stimulating vitamin D production is discussed relative to the reduction in a variety of cancers. Clearly vitamin D is like a two edged sword with great benefits but also some risks. This book provides carefully defined examples of both situations.
- Hearing and sound communication in amphibians 2007, SpringerHearing and sound communication in amphibians : prologue and prognostication / Peter M. Narins and Albert S. Feng -- An integrated phylogeny of Amphibia / David Cannatella -- The behavioral ecology of anuran communication / Kentwood D. Wells and Joshua J. Schwartz -- Call production and neural basis of vocalization / Wolfgang Walkowiak -- Recognition and localization of acoustic signals / H. Carl Gerhardt and Mark A. Bee -- Pathways for sound transmission to the inner ear in amphibians / Matthew J. Mason -- Anatomy, physiology, and function of auditory end organs in the frog inner ear / Dwayne D. Simmons, Sebastiaan W.F. Meenderink and Pantelis N. Vassilakis -- Central auditory pathways in anuran amphibians : the anatomical basis of hearing and sound communication / Walter Wilczynski and Heike Endepols -- Function of the amphibian central auditory system / Gary J. Rose and David M. Gooler -- Plasticity in the auditory system across metamorphosis / Andrea Megela Simmons and Seth S. Horowitz -- Sound processing in real-world environments / Albert S. Feng and Johannes Schul.
- Hominin environments in the East African Pliocene 2007, SpringerApproaches to the analysis of faunal change during the East African Pliocene / A.K. Behrensmeyer, R. Bobe, and Z. Alemseged -- Environmental hypotheses of Pliocene human evolution / R. Potts -- African Pliocene and Pleistocene cercopithecid evolution and global climatic change / S.R. Frost -- Patterns of change in the Plio-Pleistocene carnivorans of eastern Africa : implications for hominin evolution / M.E. Lewis and L. Werdelin-- Stratigraphic variation in Suidae from the Shungura Formation and some coeval deposits / H.B.S. Cooke -- Patterns of abundance and diversity in late Cenozoic bovids from the Turkana and Hadar Basins, Kenya and Ethiopia / R. Bobe, A.K. Behrensmeyer, G.G. Eck, and J.M. Harris -- Comparability of fossil data and its significance for the interpretation of hominin environments : a case study in the lower Omo Valley, Ethiopia / Z. Alemseged, R. Bobe, and D. Geraads -- The effects of collection strategy and effort on faunal recovery : a case study of the American and French collections from the Shungura Formation, Ethiopia / G.G. Eck -- Serengeti micromammals and their implications for Olduvai paleoenvironments / D.N. Reed -- Taphonomy and paleoecological context of the upper Laetolil Beds (localities 8 and 9), Laetoli in northern Tanzania / C. Musiba, C. Magori, M. Stoller, T. Stein, S. Branting, M. Vogt, R. Tuttle, B. Hallgrímsson, S. Killindo, F. Mizambwa, F. Ndunguru, and A. Mabulla -- The paleoecology of the upper Laetolil Beds at Laetoli : a reconsideration of the large mammal evidence / D.F. Su and T. Harrison -- Fauna, taphonomy, and ecology of the Plio-Pleistocene Chiwondo Beds, northern Malawi / O. Sandrock, O. Kullmer, F. Schrenk, Y.M. Juwayeyi, and T.G. Bromage-- Investigating faunal evidence for hominin paleoecology in East Africa / A.K. Behrensmeyer, Z. Alemseged, and R. Bobe.
- Human exploitation and biodiversity conservation 2006, Springer
- Innate immunity of plants, mammals, and humans 2008, SpringerEvolution of resistance genes in plants /Shunyuan Xiao, Wenming Wang, Xiaohua Yang --Thepath less explored: innate immune reactions in Cnidarians /Thomas C. G. Bosch --Bug versus bug : humoral immune responses in Drosophila melanogaster /Deniz Ertürk-Hasdemir ... [et al.] --Cellular immune responses in Drosophila melanogaster /Adrienne Ivory, Katherine Randle, Louisa Wu --Immune reactions in the vertebrates' closest relatives, the urochordates /Konstantin Khalturin, Ulrich Kürn, Thomas C. G. Bosch --Innate immune system of the zebrafish, Danio rerio /Con Sullivan, Carol H. Kim --Toll-like receptors in the mammalian innate immune system /Andrei E. Medvedev, Stefanie N. Vogel --NLRs : a cytosolic armory of microbial sensors linked to human diseases /Mathias Chamaillard --Antimicrobial peptides as first-line effector molecules of the human innate immune system /Regine Gläser, Jürgen Harder, Jens-Michael Schröder --Thecomplement system in innate immunity /K. R. Mayilyan ... [et al.].
- Insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptors 2010, SpringerIdentification of cholinergic synaptic transmission in the insect nervous system / Steeve Hervé Thany, Hélène Tricoire-Leignel, and Bruno Lapied -- The evolution of pentameric ligand-gated ion channels / Joseph A. Dent -- Diversity of insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits / Andrew K. Jones and David B. Sattelle -- Identification of critical elements determining toxins and insecticide affinity, ligand binding domains, and channel properties / Hélène Tricoire-Leignel and Steeve Hervé Thany -- Electrophysiological studies and pharmacological properties of insect native nicotinic acetylcholine receptors / Steeve Hervé Thany -- Characterisation of insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptors by heterologous expression / Neil S. Millar and Stuart J. Lansdell -- Neonicotinoid insecticides : historical evolution and resistance mechanisms / Steeve Hervé Thany -- Ecotoxicity of neonicotinoid insecticides to bees / Axel Decourtye and James Devillers -- State of the art on insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptor function in learning and memory / Monique Gauthier.
- Introducing biological rhythms 2006, SpringerThe study of biological rhythms -- General features of rhythms : terminology and characteristics -- Physical and biological time -- Photoperiodism -- Biological oscillators and timers : models and mechanisms -- Tidal and lunar rhythms -- Sexuality and reproduction -- Natural resources and agriculture -- Veterinary medicine -- Society -- Clinical medicine -- Autorhythmometry -- Chronobiometry : analyzing for rhythms.
- Introduction to biophotonics 2003, Wileych. 1. Introduction -- ch. 2. Fundamentals of Light and Matter -- ch. 3. Basics of Biology -- ch. 4. Fundamentals of Light-Matter Interactions -- ch. 5. Principles of Lasers, Current Laser Technology, and Nonlinear -- ch. 6. Photobiology -- ch. 7. Bioimaging: Principles and Techniques -- ch. 8. Bioimaging: Applications -- ch. 9. Biosensors -- ch. 10. Microarray Technology for Genomics and Proteomics -- ch. 11. Flow Cytometry -- ch. 12. Light-Activated Therapy: Photodynamic Therapy -- ch. 13. Tissue Engineering with Light -- ch. 14. Laser Tweezers and Laser Scissors -- ch. 15. Nanotechnology for Biophotonics: Bionanophotonics -- ch. 16. Biomaterials for Photonics.
- Introduction to biosemiotics 2007, Springer
- Introduction to electron microscopy for biologists. 1st ed. 2008, ScienceDirect
- Isotope effects in chemistry and biology 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Left-right asymmetry in vertebrate development 2007, Springer
- Legacy for living systems 2008, SpringerIntroduction: Bateson the precursor /Jesper Hoffmeyer --Angels fear revisited: Gregory Bateson's cybernetic theory of mind applied to religion-science debates /Mary Catherine Bateson --From thing to relation. On Bateson's bioanthropology /Jesper Hoffmeyer --What connects the map to the territory? /Tyrone Cashman --The pattern which connects pleroma to creatura: the autocell bridge from physics to life /Terrence Deacon and Jeremy Sherman --Bateson's method: double description. What is it? How does it work? What do we learn? /Julie Hui, Tyrone Cashman, and Terrence Deacon --Gregory Bateson's relevance to current molecular biology /Luis Emilio Bruni --Process ecology: creatura at large in an open universe /Robert E. Ulanowicz --Connections in action - bridging implicit and explicit domains /Teresa S.S. Shilhab and Christian Gerlach --Bateson: biology with meaning /Brian Goodwin --Gregory Bateson's "uncovery" of ecological aesthetics /Peter Harries-Jones --Collapsing the wave function of meaning: the epistemological matrix of talk-in-interaction /Donald Favareau --Re-enchanting evolution: transcending fundamentalisms through a mythopoetic epistemology /Gregory Mengel --Bateson and Peirce on the pattern that connects and the sacred /Søren Brier --Bateson, Peirce and the sign of the sacred /Deborah Eicher-Catt.
- Lemurs 2006, SpringerLemur origins, history of ecological studies on lemurs, and the ecology of the recently extinct (subfossil) lemurs --Origin of the Malagasy strepsirhine primates /Ian Tattersall --Notes on the history of ecological studies of Malagasy lemurs /Alison Jolly and R.W. Sussman --Ecology and extinction of Madagascar's subfossil lemurs /Laurie R. Godfrey, William L. Jungers, and Gary T. Schwartz --The evolution of lemur traits, basic and unusual patterns --Impact of ecology on the teeth of extant lemurs :a review of dental adaptations, function, and life history /Frank P. Cuozzo and Nayuta Yamashita --Big is beautiful :fat storage and hibernation as a strategy to cope with marked seasonality in the fat-tailed dwarf lemur (Cheirogaleus medius) /Joanna Fietz and K.H. Dausmann --Polyspecific associations of crowned lemurs and Sanford's lemurs in Madagascar /Benjamin Z. Freed --Cathemerality in lemurs /Deborah J. Curtis --Adaptations in the aye-aye :a review /Eleanor J. Sterling and Erin E. McCreless --Connecting ecology and adaptation : summaries and new studies --Evolutionary divergence in the brown lemur species complex /Steig E. Johnson --Ecological diversity and seasonal adaptations of mouse lemurs (Microcebus spp.) /Ute Radespiel --Social pair-bonding and resource defense in wild red-bellied lemurs (Eulemur rubriventer) /Deborah J. Overdorff and Stacey R. Tecot --Lemur catta ecology :what we know and what we need to know /Lisa Gould --Impact of seasonality and reproduction on social structure, ranging patterns, and fission-fusion social organization in red ruffed lemurs /Natalie Vasey --Ecologically enigmatic lemurs :the sifakas of the eastern forests (Propithecus candidus, P. diadema, P. edwardsi, P. perrieri, P. tattersalli) /Mitchell T. Irwin --Behavioral and ecological adaptations in two small folivorous lemurs with different social organization :Avahi and Lepilemur /Urs Thalmann --The feeding ecology and related adaptations of Indri indri /Joyce A. Powzyk and Christopher B. Mowry --Behavior and ecology of gentle lemurs (genus Hapalemur) /Chia L. Tan --Lemur adaptations to a changing environment, natural and anthropogenic stress --Considering climate change effects in lemur ecology and conservation /Patricia C. Wright --Diet composition, foraging, and feeding behavior in relation to habitat disturbance :implications for the adaptability of ruffed lemurs (Varecia variegata editorium) in Manombo Forest, Madagascar /Jonah Ratsimbazafy --Overview on the health and disease ecology of wild lemurs :conservation implications /Randall E. Junge and Michelle L. Sauther
- Life as we know it 2006, Springer
- Life in extreme environments 2007, Springer
- Life in the frozen state 2004, CRCnetBASE
- Mammalian evolutionary morphology 2008, SpringerEarliest evidence of Deltatheroida (Mammalia: Metatheria) from the early Cretaceous of North America / Brian M. Davis, Richard L. Cifelli and Zofia Kielan-Jaworowska -- Evolution of hind limb proportions in kangaroos (Marsupialia: Macropodoidea) / Benjamin P. Kear ... [et al.] -- Changing views in paleontology : the story of a giant (Megatherium, Xenarthra) / Christine Argot -- Evolutionary morphology of the Tenrecoidea (Mammalia) forelimb skeleton / Justine A. Salton and Eric J. Sargis -- Postcranial morphology of Apheliscus and Haplomylus (Condylarthra, Apheliscidae) : evidence for a Paleocene Holarctic origin of Macroscelidea / Tonya A. Penkrot ... [et al.] -- Postcranial skeleton of the Upper Paleocene (Itaboraian) "Condylarthra" (Mammalia) of the Itaboraí Basin, Brazil / Lilian P. Berqvist -- Postcranial osteology of mammals from Salla, Bolivia (late Oligocene) : form, function, and phylogenetic implications / Bruce J. Shockey and Frederico Anaya -- Evolution of the proximal third phalanx in Oligocene-Miocene equids, and the utility of phalangeal indices in phylogeny reconstruction / Jay A. O'Sullivan -- Adaptive zones and the pinniped ankle : a three-dimensional quantitative analysis of carnivoran tarsal evolution / P. David Polly -- The biogeographic origins of Primates and Euprimates : east, west, north, or south of Eden? / Mary T. Silcox -- Evaluating the mitten-gliding hypothesis for Paromomyidae and Micromomyidae (Mammalia, "Plesiadapiformes") using comparative functional morphology of new Paleogene skeletons / Douglas M. Boyer and Jonathan I. Bloch -- Morphological diversity in the skulls of large adapines (Primates, Adapiformes) and its systematic implications / Marc Godinot and Sébastien Couette -- Primate tibiae from the middle Eocene Shanghuang fissure-fillings of eastern China / Marian Dagosto ... [et al.] -- Rooneyia, postorbital closure, and the beginnings of the age of Anthropoidea / Alfred L. Rosenberger, Russell Hogg and Sai Man Wong -- Epitensoric position of the chorda tympani in Anthropoidea : a new synapomorphic character, with remarks on the fissura Glaseri in Primates / Wolfgang Maier -- Evolutionary morphology of the guenon postcranium and its taxonomic implications / Eric J. Sargis, Carl J. Terranova and Daniel L. Gebo -- Analysis of selected hominoid joint surfaces using laser scanning and geometric morphometrics : a preliminary report / William E.H. Harcourt-Smith ... [et al.] -- Comparative primate bone microstructure: records of life history, function, and phylogeny / Johanna Warshaw.
- Marek's disease 2004, ScienceDirect
- Measuring biological responses with automated microscopy 2006, ScienceDirect
- Merck index. 14th ed. 2006, CambridgeSoft
- Methods in gut microbial ecology for ruminants 2005, Springer
- Microbiology of extreme soils 2008, Springer
- Model based inference in the life sciences 2008, Springer
- Modelling, analysis and optimization of biosystems 2007, Springer
- Modern biogeochemistry 2002, Springer
- Molecular basis of symbiosis 2006, SpringerSyntrophic associations in methanogenic degradation / B. Schink -- Symbiosis between non-related bacteria in phototropic consortia / J. Overmann -- Prokaryotic symbionts of termite gut flagellates : phylogenetic and metabolic implications of a tripartite symbiosis / A. Brune, U. Stingl -- Towards an understanding of the killer trait : Caedibacter endocytobionts in Paramecium / J. Kusch, H.-D. Görtz -- Bacterial ectosymbionts which confer motility : Mixotricha paradoxa from the intestine of the Australian termite Mastotermes darwiniensis / Helmut König ... [et al.] -- Extrusive bacterial ectosymbionts of ciliates / G. Rosati -- Hydrogenosomes and symbiosis / J.H.P. Hackstein, N. Yarlett -- Molecular interactions between Rhizobium and legumes / P. Skorpil, W.J. Broughton -- Molecular mechanisms in the nitrogen-fixing Nostoc-bryophyte symbiosis / J.C. Meeks -- Symbiosis of thioautotrophic bacteria with Riftia pachyptila / F.J. Stewart, C.M. Cavanaugh -- Symbioses of methanotrophs and deep-sea mussels (Mytilidae: Bathymodiolinae) / E.G. DeChaine, C.M. Cavanaugh -- Symbioses between bacteria and gutless marine oligocahetes / N. Dubilier, A. Blazejak, C. Rühland -- Roles of bacterial regulators in the symbiosis between Vibrio fischeri and Euprymna scalopes / K. Geszvain, K. Visick -- Molecular requirements for the colonization of Hirudo medicinalis by Aeromonas veronii / J. Graf.
- Monograph of the Spathidiida (Ciliophora, Haptoria) 2006, Springervol. 1.Protospathidiidae, Arcuospathidiidae, Apertospathulidae --
- Monograph of the Urostyloidea (Ciliophora, Hypotricha) 2006, Springer
- Mosquito ecology. 3rd ed. 2008, SpringerDesigning a mosquito sampling programme -- Sampling the egg population -- Sampling the larval population -- Sampling the emerging adult population -- Sampling the adult resting population -- Sampling adults by animal bait catches and by animal-baited traps -- Blood-feeding and its epidemiological significance -- Sampling adults with non-attractant traps -- Sampling adults with light-traps -- Sampling adults with carbon dioxide traps -- Sampling adults with visual attraction traps, sound traps, and other miscellaneous attraction traps -- Estimation of the mortalities of the immature stages -- Methods of age-grading adults and estimation of adult survival rates -- Estimating the size of the adult population -- Measuring adult dispersal -- Experimental hut techniques -- Indices of association and species diversity indices.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
Bookmark on other websites
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases