Books by Subject
AnthropologyAccess restricted to Stanford unless otherwise noted
- Bones, stones, and molecules 2004, ScienceDirectIntroduction -- Evolution of the Miocene great apes -- Later Miocene and Pliocene hominids -- Our kind of hominins -- A systematic scheme for the Pliocene and Early Pleistocene hominids -- The first African exodus : the emergence of early homo in Europe and Asia -- Human evolution in the Middle Pleistocene -- "The grisly folk" : the emergence of the Neanderthals -- The second African exodus : the emergence of modern humans -- The emergence of modern humans in Asia and in Australia -- Epilogue.
- Dental perspectives on human evolution 2007, SpringerDental evolution and dental morphology: Introduction / S.E. Bailey -- Patterns of molar variation in great apes and their implications for hominin taxonomy / V. Pilbrow -- Trends in postcanine occlusal morphology within the hominin clade : the case of Paranthropus / S.E. Bailey and B.A. Wood -- Maxillary molars cusp morphology of South African australopithecines / J. Moggi-Cecchi and S. Boccone -- Gran Dolina-TD6 and Sima de los Huesos dental samples : preliminary approach to some dental characters of interest for phylogenetic studies / M. Martinón-Torres ... [et al.] -- Neural network analysis by using the Self-Organizing Maps (SOMs) applied to human fossil dental morphology : a new methodology / F. Manni, R. Vargiu and A. Coppa -- Micro-computed tomography of primate molars : methodological aspects of three-dimensional data collection / A.J. Olejniczak, F.E. Grine and L.B. Martin -- HRXCT analysis of hominoid molars : a quantitative volumetric analysis and 3D reconstruction of coronal enamel and dentin / D.G. Gantt, J. Kappelman and R.A. Ketcham --Dental microstructure and life history: Introduction / R. Macchiarelli and S.E. Bailey -- Inferring primate growth, development and life history from dental microstructure : the case of the extinct Malagasy lemur, Megaladapis / G.T. Schwartz, L.R. Godfrey and P. Mahoney -- Histological study of an upper incisor and molar of a bonobo (Pan paniscus) individual / F. Ramirez Rossi and R.S. Lacruz -- New perspectives on chimpanzee and human molar crown development / T.M. Smith ... [et al.] -- Portable confocal scanning optical microscopy of Australopithecus africanus enamel structure / T.G. Bromage ... [et al.] -- Imbricational enamel formation in Neandertals and recent modern humans / D. Guatelli-Steinberg ... [et al.] -- Dental development: Introduction / B.A. Wood -- Of mice and monkeys : quantitative genetic analyses of size variation along the dental arcade / L.J. Hlusko and M.C. Mahaney -- Quantifying variation in human dental development sequences : an evo-devo perspective / J. Braga and Y. Heuze --Dental calcification stages of the permanent M1 and M2 in U.S. children of African-American and European-American ancestry born in the 1990s / J. Monge ... [et al.] -- A computerized model for reconstruction of dental ontogeny : a new tool for studying evolutionary trends in the dentition / P. Smith ... [et al.] -- Dentition and diet: Introduction / F.E. Grine -- An evaluation of changes in strontium/calcium ratios across the neonatal line in human deciduous teeth / L.T. Humphrey, M.C. Dean and T.E. Jeffries -- Dental topography and human evolution with comments on the diets of Australopithecus africanus and Paranthropus / P.S. Ungar -- Dental microwear and paleoanthropology : cautions and possibilities / M.F. Teaford -- Tooth wear and diversity in early hominid molars : a case study / L. Ulhaas, O. Kullmer and F. Schrenk -- 3-D interferometric microscopy applied to the study of buccal enamel microwear / F. Estebaranz ... [et al.].
- Early modern humans at the Moravian Gate 2006, SpringerForeword / J.H. Schwartz, I. Tattersall -- Szombathy's excavations in the Mladeč Cave and the first presentations of the results / W. Antl-Weiser -- In search of prototypes - historical soft-tissue reconstructions of Mladeč 1 / M. Teschler-Nicola -- The structure of the cave, stratigraphy, and depositional context / J.A. Svoboda -- The Upper Paleolithic finds from the Mladeč Cave / M. Oliva -- Taphonomic aspects of the human remains from the Mladeč Caves / M. Teschler-Nicola -- Large mammal remains from the Mladeč Caves and their contribution to site formation processes / M. Pacher -- ¹⁴C dating of early Upper Palaeolithic human and faunal remains from Mladeč / E.M. Wild ... [et al.] -- Inventory and photo-documentation of the Mladeč hominid remains / M.H. Wolpoff ... [et al.] -- Aurignacian male crania, jaws and teeth from the Mladeč Caves, Moravia, Czech Republic / D.W. Frayer ... [et al.] -- Aurignacian female crania and teeth from the Mladeč Caves, Moravia, Czech Republic / M.H. Wolpoff, D.W. Frayer and J. Jelínek -- Electronic segmentation methods reveal the preservation status and otherwise unobservable features of the Mladeč 1 cranium / H. Prossinger and M. Teschler-Nicola -- The Mladeč 3 infant / N. Minugh-Purvis, Th. Bence Viola and M. Teschler-Nicola -- The human postcranial remains from Mladeč / E. Trinkaus ... [et al.] -- Lost, destroyed or misidentified postcranial specimens from Mladeč / M.H. Wolpoff, D.W. Frayer and J. Jelínek -- External geometry of Mladeč neurocrania compared with anatomically modern humans and Neanderthals / G.W. Weber ... [et al.] -- Pathological alterations and traumas in the human skeletal remains from Mladeč / M. Teschler-Nicola ... [et al.] -- No evidence of Neandertal mtDNA contribution to early modern humans / D. Serre ... [et al.] -- Non-destructive determination of ⁸⁷Sr/⁸⁶Sr isotope ratios in early Upper Paleolithic human teeth from the Mladeč Caves - preliminary results / T. Prohaska ... [et al.].
- Forensic anthropology and medicine 2006, Springer
- Forensic anthropology laboratory 2008, CRCnetBASEIntroduction / Heather Walsh-Haney -- The Anthropology Research Facility, University of Tennessee / Lee Meadows Jantz and Richard L. Jantz -- The forensic anthropology laboratory in a medical examiner setting / Dana Austin and Laura Fulginiti -- Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command's Central Identification Laboratory / Thomas Holland, John Byrd and Vincent Sava -- The University of Indianapolis Archeology & Forensics Laboratory / Stephen P. Nawrocki -- The mass fatality incident morgue : a laboratory for disaster victim identification / Paul S. Sledzik and Patricia J. Kaufmann -- The Repatriation Osteology Laboratory at the Smithsonian Institution / Erica B. Jones and Stephen D. Ousley -- History and collections of the Division of Physical Anthropology, Smithsonian Institution / David R. Hunt -- The LSU Forensic Anthropology and Computer Enhancement Services Laboratory / Mary H. Manhein ... [et al.] -- The working forensic anthropology laboratory / Heather Walsh-Haney, Laurel Freas and Michael Warre.
- Forensic recovery of human remains 2006, CRCnetBASE
- Handbook of paleoanthropology v. 1-3, 2007., Springerv. 1. Principles, methods and approaches. Historical overview of paleoanthropological research / Winifried Henke -- Evolutionary theory in philosophical focus / Philippe Huneman -- The ontogeny-phylogeny nexus in a nutshell : implications for primatology and paleoanthropology / Peter R. Menke -- Principles of taxonomy and classification : current procedures for naming and classifying organisms / Michael Ohl -- Quantitative approaches to phylogenetics / Kaila E. Folinsbee ... [et al] -- Homology : a philosophical and biological perspective / Olivier Rieppel -- Taphonomic and diagenetic processes / Gisela Grupe -- Archeology / Miriam N. Haidle -- Contribution of stable light isotopes to paleoenvironmental reconstruction / Julia Lee-Thorp, Matt Sponheimer -- Chronometric methods in paleoanthropology / Gunther A. Wagner -- Geological background of early hominid sites in Africa / Ottmar Kullmer -- Paleoclimate / Keith Alverson -- Paleosols / Gregory Retallack -- Quaternary deposits and paleosites / Klaus-Dieter Jager -- Zoogeography : primate and early hominin distribution and migration patterns / Alan Turner, Hannah O'Regan -- Patterns of diversification and extinction / Walter Etter -- Paleoecology : an adequate window on the past? / Thorolf Hardt, Britta Hardt, Peter R. Menke -- Hominin paleodiets : the contribution of stable isotopes / Matt Sponheimer, Julia Lee-Thorp -- Estimation of basic life history data of fossil hominoids / Helmut Hemmer -- Population genetics and paleoanthropology / John H. Relethford -- Ancient DNA / Susanne Hummel -- Paleodemography of extinct hominin populations / Janet Monge, Alan Mann -- Modeling the past : the primatological approach / R.W. Sussman, Donna Hart -- Modeling the past : the paleoethnological evidence / Paolo Biagi -- Modeling the past : the linguistic approach / Bernard Comrie -- General principles of evolutionary morphology / Gabriele A. Macho -- Computer-based reconstruction : technical aspects and applications / Lilian Ulhaas -- Prospects and pitfalls / Jean-Jacques Hublin --v. 2. Primate evolution and human origins. Primate origins and supraordinal relationships : morphological evidence / Mary T. Silcox ... [et. al] -- Molecular evidence on primate origins and evolution / Hans Zischler -- Fossil record of the primates from the Paleocene to the Oligocene / D. Tab Rasmussen -- Fossil record of Miocene hominoids / David R. Begun -- The biotic environments of the late Miocene hominids / Jordi Agusti -- Postcranial and locomotor adaptations of hominoids / Carol V. Ward -- Hominoid cranial diversity and adaptation / Alan Bilsborough, Todd C. Rae -- Dental adaptations of African apes / Mark F. Teaford, Peter S. Ungar -- Evolution of the primate brain / Dean Falk -- Primate life histories / Elke Zimmermann, Ute Radespiel -- The biology and evolution of ape and monkey feeding / Joanna E. Lambert -- Great ape social systems / Angela Meder -- Primate intelligence / Richard W. Byrne -- Chimpanzee hunting behavior / Nicholas E. Newton-Fisher -- Cooperation, coalition, alliances / Charlotte K. Hemelrijk, Jutta Steinhauser --v. 3. Phylogeny of hominids. Potential hominoid ancestors for Hominidae / George D. Koufos -- Defining Hominidae / Jeffrey H. Schwartz -- Origins of Homininae and putative selection pressures acting on the early hominins / Boguslaw Pawlowski -- Role of environmental stimuli in hominid origins / Elisabeth S. Vrba -- The origins of bipedal locomotion / William E.H. Harcourt-Smith -- The earliest putative hominids / Brigitte Senut -- The species and diversity of Australopiths / William H. Kimbel -- Defining the genus Homo / Mark Collard, Bernard Wood -- The earliest putative Homo fossils / Friedemann Schrenk, Ottmar Kullmer, Timothy Bromage -- Homo ergaster and its contemporaries / Ian Tattersall -- Defining Homo erectus : size considered / Susan C. Anton ... [et. al] -- Later middle Pleistocene Homo / G. Philip Rightmire -- Neanderthals and their contemporaries / Katerina Harvati -- Origin of modern humans / Gunter Brauer -- Analyzing hominid phylogeny / David Strait, Frederick E. Grine, John G. Fleagle -- Phylogenetic relationships (Biomolecules) / Todd R. Disotell -- Population biology and population genetics of Pleistocene hominins / Alan R. Templeton -- Species concepts and speciation : facts and fantasies / Colin Groves -- Human environmental impact in the Paleolithic and Neolithic / Wolfgang Nentwig -- The dentition of American Indians : evolutionary results and demographic implications following colonization from Siberia / Christy G. Turner II, G. Richard Scott -- Overview of Paleolithic archeology / Nicholas Toth, Kathy Schick -- The network of brain, body, language, and culture / Steven Mithen -- Cultural evolution in Africa and Eurasia during the middle and late Pleistocene / Nicholas Conrad -- Paleoanthropology and the foundation of ethics : methodological remarks on the problem of criteriology / Mathias Gutmann, Michael Weingarten.
- Hominin environments in the East African Pliocene 2007, SpringerApproaches to the analysis of faunal change during the East African Pliocene / A.K. Behrensmeyer, R. Bobe, and Z. Alemseged -- Environmental hypotheses of Pliocene human evolution / R. Potts -- African Pliocene and Pleistocene cercopithecid evolution and global climatic change / S.R. Frost -- Patterns of change in the Plio-Pleistocene carnivorans of eastern Africa : implications for hominin evolution / M.E. Lewis and L. Werdelin-- Stratigraphic variation in Suidae from the Shungura Formation and some coeval deposits / H.B.S. Cooke -- Patterns of abundance and diversity in late Cenozoic bovids from the Turkana and Hadar Basins, Kenya and Ethiopia / R. Bobe, A.K. Behrensmeyer, G.G. Eck, and J.M. Harris -- Comparability of fossil data and its significance for the interpretation of hominin environments : a case study in the lower Omo Valley, Ethiopia / Z. Alemseged, R. Bobe, and D. Geraads -- The effects of collection strategy and effort on faunal recovery : a case study of the American and French collections from the Shungura Formation, Ethiopia / G.G. Eck -- Serengeti micromammals and their implications for Olduvai paleoenvironments / D.N. Reed -- Taphonomy and paleoecological context of the upper Laetolil Beds (localities 8 and 9), Laetoli in northern Tanzania / C. Musiba, C. Magori, M. Stoller, T. Stein, S. Branting, M. Vogt, R. Tuttle, B. Hallgrímsson, S. Killindo, F. Mizambwa, F. Ndunguru, and A. Mabulla -- The paleoecology of the upper Laetolil Beds at Laetoli : a reconsideration of the large mammal evidence / D.F. Su and T. Harrison -- Fauna, taphonomy, and ecology of the Plio-Pleistocene Chiwondo Beds, northern Malawi / O. Sandrock, O. Kullmer, F. Schrenk, Y.M. Juwayeyi, and T.G. Bromage-- Investigating faunal evidence for hominin paleoecology in East Africa / A.K. Behrensmeyer, Z. Alemseged, and R. Bobe.
- Human origins and environmental backgrounds 2006, SpringerHidemi Ishida : 40 years of footprints in Japanese primatology and paleoanthropology / Masato Nakatsukasa ... [et al.] -- Seven decades of East African Miocene anthropoid studies / Russell H. Tuttle -- Evolution of the vertebral column in Miocene hominoids and Plio-Pleistocene hominids / Dominique Gommery -- Terrestriality in a middle Miocene context : Victoriapithecus from Maboko, Kenya / Kathleen T. Blue, Monte L. McCrossin and Brenda R. Benefit -- Late Cenozoic mammalian biostratigraphy and faunal change : paleoenvironments of hominoid evolution and dispersal / Hideo Nakaya and Hiroshi Tsujikawa -- The ages and geological backgrounds of Miocene hominoids Nacholapithecus, Samburupithecus, and Orrorin from Kenya / Yoshihiro Sawada ... [et al.] -- Patterns of vertical climbing in primates / Yoshihiko Nakano, Eishi Hirasaki and Hiroo Kumakura -- Functional morphology of the midcarpal joint in knuckle-walkers and terrestrial quadrupeds / Brian G. Richmond -- Morphological adaptation of rat femora to different mechanical environments / Akiyoshi Matsumura, Morihiko Okada and Yutaka Takahashi --A hallmark of humankind : the gluteus maximus muscle : its form, action, and function / Françoise K. Jouffroy and Monique F. Médina -- Primates trained for bipedal locomotion as a model for studying the evolution of bipedal locomotion / Eishi Hirasaki, Naomichi Ogihara and Masato Nakatsukasa -- Locomotor energetics in nonhuman primates : a review of recent studies on bipedal performing macaques / Masato Nakatsukasa, Eishi Hirasaki and Naomichi Ogihara -- Computer simulation of bipedal locomotion : toward elucidating correlations among musculoskeletal morphology, energetics, and the origin of bipedalism / Naomichi Ogihara and Nobutoshi Yamazaki -- Paleoenvironments, paleoecology, adaptations and the origins of bipedalism in Hominidae / Martin Pickford -- Arboreal origin of bipedalism / Brigitte Senut -- Neontological perspectives on East African middle and late Miocene Anthropoidea / Russell H. Tuttle -- The prehominid locomotion reflected : energetics, muscles, and generalized bipeds / Morihiko Okada -- Evolution of the social structure of hominoids : reconsideration of food distribution and the estrus sex ratio / Takeshi Furuichi -- Are human beings apes, or are apes people too? / Russell H. Tuttle -- Current thoughts on terrestrialization in African apes and the origin of human bipedalism / Hidemi Ishida.
- A "purely theoretical institute for the study of the nature of man" : the founding of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Heredity, and Eugenics, 1920-1927 -- "The human of the future under the scrutiny of research" : the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Heredity, and Eugenics in the Weimar Republic, 1927-1933 -- The "Faustian bargain" : the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Heredity, and Eugenics in the National Socialist era, 1933-1938/1942 -- In the realm of opportunity : the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Heredity, and Eugenics during World War II, 1938/42-1945.
- Medicine and evolution 2008, CRCnetBASEEnvironments, adaptation, and evolutionary medicine : should we be eating a stone age diet? / Sarah Elton -- Human protein requirements and infection stress among young children at the origins of agriculture / Stanley J. Ulijaszek -- Evolutionary perspectives on type 2 diabetes in Asia / Tessa M. Pollard, Alejandra Nunez-de la Mora, and Nigel Unwin -- Seasonality, climatic unpredictability, food deprivation, and polycystic ovary syndrome / Laurence Shaw and Sarah Elton -- Evolution and endocrinology : the regulation of pregnancy outcomes / Virginia J. Vitzthum -- Evolutionary paediatrics : a case study in applying Darwinian medicine / Helen Ball -- The role of helminthes in human evolution : implications for global health in the 21st century / A. Magdalena Hurtado ... [et al.] -- Nonbizarre delusions as strategic deception / Edward H. Hagen -- Practical aspects of evolutionary medicine / Gillian R. Bentley and Robert Aunger -- Comparative and evolutionary biology in medical and dental education / M.Christopher Dean -- Is there a place for evolutionary medicine in UK medical education? / Sarah Elton and Paul O'Higgins -- Would Darwin recognise himself here? / Jonathan Marks.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
Bookmark on other websites
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases