Books by Subject
- Anaesthesia, pain, intensive care and emergency 2008, SpringerAdvances on critical care -- Airway -- Trauma -- Obstetrics -- Paediatric anaesthesia -- Cardiac arrest -- Infections, sepsis, organ dysfunction -- Perioperative care -- Quality of care in the ICU.
- pt. I. Continuing medical education -- 1. Can I Think what I Read? / Philip D. Lumb -- pt. II. Clinical pharmacology -- 2. Pharmacological Manipulation in ICU / Daniel De Backer, Katia Donadello and Sabino Scolletta -- pt. III. Kidney -- 3. Renal Injury / Vladimir Gašparović, Ivan Gornik -- pt. IV. Ventilation: adult and paediatric -- 4. Respiratory Mechanics: Principles, Utility and Advances / Alysson R. Carvalho, Walter A. Zin -- 5. Capnometry/capnography in Prehospital Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation / Štefek Grmec, Katia Lah and Štefan Mally -- 6. Weaning from Mechanical Ventilation / Irene Cortés Puch, Andrés Esteban -- 7. Ventilatory Strategies in Acute Lung Injury / Edoardo Calderini, Sara Sher and Eleonora Allegritti -- 8. Mechanical Ventilation Beyond the PICU / Giancarlo Ottonello, Alessia Franceschi -- pt. V. Cardiovascular monitoring 9. The Nexfin Monitor--A Totally Non-Invasive Cardiac Output Monitor / Azriel Perel, Wilbert Wesselink and Jos Settels -- 10. Doppler Echocardiography in ICU Patients: Does It Improve Outcome? / Jan Poelaert -- pt. VI. Management of cardiac arrest -- 11. Mild Therapeutic Hypothermia after Cardiac Arrest / Tommaso Pellis, Vincenzo Mione and Willy P. Mercante -- 12. Nasopharyngeal Cooling During Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation / Francesco Fumagalli, Giuseppe Ristagno -- 13. Amplitude Spectrum Area as a Predictor of Successful Defibrillation / Giuseppe Ristagno, Yongqin Li, Antonino Gullo and Joe Bisera --pt. VII. Advances in experimental and clinical research -- 14. Physiopathology and Severity of Post-Resuscitation Myocardial Dysfunction: Effects of Sodium-Hydrogen Exchanger Isoform-1 (NHE-1) Inhibitors and Erythropoietin / Raúl J. Gazmuri, Iyad M. Ayoub and Jeejabai Radhakrishnan -- 15. Experimental Treatment for Preservation of Mechanically Competent Cardiac Activity Following Cardiac Arrest / Iyad M. Ayoub, Jeejabai Radhakrishnan and Raúl J. Gazmuri -- 16. Erythropoietin Facilitates Return of Spontaneous Circulation and Survival in Victims of Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest / Štefek Grmec, Matej Strand and Raúl J. Gazmuri -- pt. VIII. Infections, sepsis and organ dysfunctions -- 17. Pathophysiology of Resistance amongst Aerobic Gram-negative Bacilli in Particular Acinetobacter Species / Nia Taylor, Luciano Silvestri and Hendrick K.F. Van Saene -- 18. What Have We Learned from the Surviving Sepsis Campaign? / Jean-Louis Vincent, Katia Donadello and Leonardo Gottin -- 19. Source Control / Gabriele Sganga, Valerio Cozza -- 20. Immunoglobulins in Sepsis / Giorgio Berlot, Claudio M. Vassallo and Nicola Busetto -- pt. IX. Perioperative medicine -- 22. Perioperative Medicine--An Introduction / Antonino Gullo, Chiara M. Celestre, Annalaura Paratore and Fortunato Stimoli -- 23. Neuraxial Analgesia for Caesarean and Vaginal Delivery and Childhood Learning Disabilities / Juraj Sprung, Randall Flick and David Warner -- 24. Off-label Drugs in Perioperative Medicine: Clonidine / Cesare Gregoretti, Paolo Pelosi -- pt. X. Spinal cord stimulation -- 25. Cost Effectiveness of Spinal Cord Stimulation in the Management of Severe Angina / Mats Börjesson, Clas Mannheimer -- pt. XI. Neurotrauma -- 26. Clinical Assessment and Diagnostic Procedures in Neurotrauma / Marco Zanello, Matteo Vincenzi and Marco Bandini -- pt. XII. Disaster medicine -- 27. Disaster Preparedness / Francesco Della Corte, Pier Luigi Ingrassia -- 28. Medical Emergency Response in Toxicological Mass Casualty / Pier Luigi Ingrassia, Luca Ragazzoni and Francesco Della Corte -- pt. XIII. Quality of care -- 29. Telemedicine to Improve Care in the Critically Ill / Gastón Murias, Bernat Sales Lluis Blanch -- 30. Professionalism, Quality of Care and Pay-for-Performance Services / Antonino Gullo, Cristina Santonocito, Paolo Murabito and Marinella Astuto.
- Anesthesia and perioperative care for aortic surgery 2011, SpringerApplied anatomy of the aorta -- Acute aortic syndrome -- Preoperative cardiac evaluation before aortic surgery -- Role of echocardiography in aortic surgery -- Operative techniques in surgery of the proximal thoracic aorta and aortic arch -- Anesthesia for surgery of the ascending aorta and aortic arch -- Deep hypothermic circulatory arrest -- Cerebral monitoring during aortic surgery -- Understanding open repair of the descending thoracic and thoracoabdominal aorta -- Anesthesia for descending aortic surgery -- Spinal cord protection strategies -- Understanding endovascular aortic surgery: Endovascular repair of aortic aneurysmal disease -- Anesthesia for endovascular aortic surgery -- Anesthesia for open abdominal aortic aneurysm repair -- Renal protection strategies -- Comprehansive management of patients with traumatic aortic injury -- Anesthesia for adult congenital aortic surgery -- Atherosclerosis of the aorta and prevention of neurological dysfunction after cardiac surgery -- Postoperative care after aortic surgery.
- Anesthesia and uncommon diseases.. 6th ed. / 2012, ScienceDirectEye, ear, nose, and throat diseases -- Cardiac diseases -- Congenital heart disease -- Respiratory diseases -- Liver diseases -- Obesity and nutrition disorders -- Renal diseases -- Neurological diseases -- Muscle diseases -- Skin and bone disorders -- Hematologic diseases -- Infectious diseases and biologic weapons -- Diseases of the endocrine system -- Mitochondrial Disease -- Psychiatric and behavioral disorders -- Mineral, vitamin, and herbal supplements -- Trauma and acute care -- Burns -- Pregnancy and obstetric complications -- Geriatric patient -- Pediatric patient.
- Anesthesia for urologic surgery 2014, SpringerThis is an up-to-date clinical reference on anesthesia for urological surgery. Advances in urological procedures, the advent of treatment of patients with strong anticoagulant and antiplatelet medications, and the demographics of urology patients (many of whom are young or elderly) present challenges for the anesthesiologist and have necessitated changes in anesthesia practice. Urological anesthesia is not recognized as a subspecialty, and this book, which reflects the expertise of clinicians and researchers from around the United States and Europe, is written for the majority of anesthesiologists and nurse anesthetists who will provide anesthesia for these patients. The book includes coverage of these topics: Renal physiology and pharmacology Urologic anesthesia in all age groups, and in both the operating room and outpatient setting Special considerations in the pregnant patient and in renal transplantation Anesthesia for robotic surgery of the prostate In older patients, problems arising from co-morbidities and the risk of drug interactions Appropriate pain management in inpatient and outpatient settings The unique challenges of positioning the patient Medico-legal considerations, including analyses from the closed claims study
- Anesthesia in cosmetic surgery 2007, CambridgePropofol ketamine with bispectral index (BIS) monitoring / Barry L. Friedberg -- Preoperative instructions, intraoperative environment / Barry L. Friedberg -- Level-of-consciousness monitoring / Scott D. Kelley -- The dissociative effect and preemptive analgesia / Barry L. Friedberg -- Special needs of cosmetic dental patients / James A. Snyder -- Propofol Ketamine in the UK, Propofol Ketamine beyond cosmetic surgery / Chris Pollock -- Propofol Ketamine beyond cosmetic surgery : implications for military medicine and mass-casualty anesthesia / Joel W. McMasters -- Lidocaine use and toxicity in cosmetic surgery / Adam Frederic Dorin -- Local anesthetic blocks in head and neck surgery / Joseph Niamtu -- Local anesthetics and surgical considerations for body contouring / Roger Wade Pielet -- Intravenous anesthesia for cosmetic surgery / David Barinholtz -- Regional anesthesia for cosmetic surgery / Holly Evans and Susan M. Steele -- General inhalation anesthesia for cosmetic surgery / Meena Desai -- Preanesthetic assessment of the cosmetic surgery patient / Norman Levin -- Psychological aspects of cosmetic surgery / David B. Sarwer, Canice E. Crerand, and Lauren M. Gibbons -- The business of the office-based anesthesia for cosmetic surgery / Marc E. Koch -- The politics of office-based anesthesia / David Barinholtz -- Staying out of trouble : the medicolegal perspective / Ann Lofsky.
- Anesthesia informatics 2008, Springer
- Anesthesia secrets. 4th ed. 2011, ebraryBasics of Patient Management -- Pharmacology -- Preparing for Anesthesia -- Patient Monitoring and Procedures -- Perioperative Problems -- Anesthesia and Systemic Disease -- Special Anesthetic Considerations --Regional Anesthesia -- Anesthetic Considerations in Selected Surgical Procedures -- Pain Management.
- Anesthesia student survival guide 2010, Springer
- Anesthesiology and otolaryngology 2013, SpringerWorking Side by Side: The Important Relationship Between Anesthesiologists and Otolaryngologists /Adam I. Levine, Samuel DeMaria Jr., Satish Govindaraj --Gross and Radiographic Anatomy /Puneet Pawha, Nancy Jiang, Katya Shpilberg --Basic Pharmacology of Anesthetic Agents /Wagdy Sidrak, Adam I. Levine, Samuel DeMaria Jr. --Basic Physiology /Ira Hofer, Samuel DeMaria Jr., Adam I. Levine --Physiologic Monitoring /Jaime B. Hyman, David L. Reich --Oxygen Delivery Systems and the Anesthesia Workstation /James B. Eisenkraft, Robert Williams --Preoperative Assessment and Optimization /Jaime B. Hyman, Andrew B. Leibowitz --Airway Management, Emergencies and the Difficult Airway /Irene P. Osborn, Andrew J. Kleinberger --Adult Sleep Apnea and Related Procedures /Menachem M. Weiner, Fred Y. Lin --Phonomicrosurgery and Office-Based Laryngology /Allan P. Reed, Peak Woo --Otologic Surgery /Cheryl K. Gooden --Facial Plastic Surgery /Adam I. Levine, Samuel DeMaria Jr., Eunice Park --Functional Nasal and Sinus Surgery /Alan J. Sim, Adam I. Levine, Satish Govindaraj --Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Parotid Surgery /Steven Porter, Andrew Schwartz --Head and Neck Cancer Surgery I: Resection /Adam I. Levine, Samuel DeMaria Jr. --Head and Neck Cancer Surgery II: Reconstruction /Adam I. Levine, Samuel DeMaria Jr., Brett A. Miles --Neurosurgical Otolaryngology I: Neurotology/Posterior Fossa Surgery /Jess W. Brallier, Eric E. Smouha --Neurosurgical Otolarynology II: Endoscopic Skull Base and Pituitary Surgery /Stacie G. Deiner, Kalmon D. Post, Satish Govindaraj --Tracheotomy /Sharmin Haque, Adam I. Levine, Chan W. Park --Pediatric Otolaryngology /Jonathan S. Gal, Francine S. Yudkowitz --Office-Based Otolaryngology /Laurence M. Hausman --Acute and Chronic Pain Management /Yury Khelemsky --Postoperative Care /Jody Jones, Brigid Flynn --Medico-Legal Considerations and Patient Safety /Elizabeth A. M. Frost.
- Bone and joint injuries 2014, SpringerAll European countries, including those that have recently joined the European Union or are candidates for membership, currently show a clear trend towards an increasing number of accidental injuries. This holds true for a range of injuries, including accidents among the elderly, sports injuries, and trauma due to traffic accidents. The increase in the number of injuries is accompanied by rising expectations among patients, who anticipate good functional results even after serious injuries. Despite these developments, trauma surgery is not yet established as an independent field in all European countries. Against this background, there is a clear need for a book that covers the state of the art in trauma surgery. This volume, which focuses on bone and joint injuries orthopedic trauma is intended to help to meet this need. It will also serve to harmonize the practice of trauma surgery within the European Union and to prepare for the UEMS EBSQ trauma surgery.
- Case studies of near misses in clinical anesthesia 2011, Springer
- Clinical anesthesia 2008, Springer
- Clinical anesthesia. 7th ed. 2013, Ovid"The Handbook of Clinical Anesthesia, Seventh Edition, is a companion to the parent textbook, Clinical Anesthesia, Seventh Edition. This widely acclaimed reference parallels the textbook and presents content in a concise outline format with additional appendices. The Handbook makes liberal use of tables, graphics, and clinical pearls, to enhance rapid access of the subject matter. This comprehensive, pocket-sized reference guides you through virtually every aspect of perioperative, intraoperative, and postoperative patient care."--Provided by publisher.
- Clinical anesthesiology 2014, Springer
- Complications and mishaps in anesthesia 2014, SpringerAbility to learn from errors is an essential aspect of the quest to improve treatment quality and patient safety. This book consists of 33 cases in anesthesiology that are based on real life situations and illuminate avoidable complications and mishaps. The cases are presented in a novel manner in that they are embedded within narratives. The reader comes to each case cold, without any clue as to the content, and each case comprises a narrative and a factual component that are interwoven. The narrative parts provide the reader with information and tips regarding the clinical problems and tasks that the protagonist must face and try to solve. The idea is to engage the reader emotionally while reading and to entertain him or her while learning. All cases conclude with short debriefing sections which include possible strategies to prevent similar errors or mishaps.
- Complications of regional anesthesia. 2nd ed. 2007., SpringerComplications of obstetric regional anesthesia / Paul J. O'Connor -- Complications of catheter techniques / Per H. Rosenberg -- Regional anesthesia complications related to acute pain management / Narinder Rawal -- Complications of regional anesthesia in chronic pain therapy / Philip W.H. Peng and Vincent W.S. Chan -- Major neurologic injury following central neural blockade / David J. Sage and Steven J. Fowler -- Regional anesthesia and infection / Terese T. Horlocker and Denise J. Wedel -- Regional anesthesia in the presence of neurologic disease / Andrea Kattula, Giuditta Angelini, and George Arndt --Evaluation of neurologic injury following regional anesthesia / Quinn H. Hogan, Lloyd Hendrix, and Safwan Jaradeh -- Cae studies of regional anesthesia / William F. Urmey -- International morbidity studies on regional anesthesia. Complications associated with regional anesthesia: an American Society of Anesthesiologists' closed claims analysis / Lorri A. Lee and Karen B. Domino. Complications of regional anesthesia leading to medical legal action in Canada / Kari G. Smedstad. Neurologic complications of regional anesthesia in the Nordic countries / Nils Dahlgren. Medicolegal claims: summary of an Australian study / Alber H. Santora. Regional anesthesia morbidity study: France / Yves Auroy and Dan Benhamou -- Medicolegal aspects of regional anesthesia / Albert H. Santora.Regional anesthesia safety / John W.R. McIntyre -- Outcome studies comparing regional and general anesthesia / Gabriella Iohom and George Shorten -- Avoiding complications in regional anesthesia / Richard W. Rosenquist -- Local anesthetic toxicity / David L. Brown -- Mechanisms of neurologic complications with peripheral nerve blocks / Alain Borgeat, Stephan Blumenthal, and Admir Hadžić -- Complications of ophthalmic regional anesthesia / Robert C. (Roy) Hamilton -- Complications of paravertebral, intercostal nerve blocks, and interpleural analgesia / Nirmala R. Abraham Hidalgo and F. Michael Ferrante -- Complications of brachial plexus anesthesia / Brendan T. Finucane and Ban C.H. Tsui -- Complications associated with spinal anesthesia / Pekka Tarkkila -- Complications of epidural blockade / Ciaran Twomey and Ban C.H. Tsui -- Complications of other peripheral nerve blocks / Guido Fanelli, Andrea Casati, and Daniela Ghisi -- Complications of intravenous regional anesthesia / Dominic A. Cave and Barry A. Finegan -- The evidence-based safety of pediatric regional anesthesia and complications / Lynn M. Broadman and Ryan A. Holt --
- The worldwide prevalence of obesity has increased dramatically in recent years. Since the results of long-term dietary behavioral therapy remain sadly inadequate, surgery is currently the only effective treatment for patients with severe or morbid obesity. The numbers of weight loss operations continue to increase annually throughout the world. The anesthetic management of severely obese patients entails special challenges, especially when medical co-morbidities are present. Published outcome data on anesthetic care and pain management of these patients are scarce, and many practices remain controversial. Controversies in the Anesthetic Management of Obese Patients considers a wide range of important practical issues. Key questions in preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative management are addressed, and different approaches are evaluated. Written by international leaders in the field, this book will be an invaluable aid for anesthesia care providers.
- Core topics in paediatric anaesthesia 2013, CambridgeCovers the important elements of paediatric anaesthesia in a concise, structured manner, providing invaluable information for established and aspiring practitioners.
- Ultrasounds, a much reflected system -- The doctor in front of the machine -- The doctor and the machine in front of the patient -- The doctor, the machine, and the patient in front of the screen -- Learning methods -- Self-training procedure.
- Epiduroscopy 2008, Springer
- Essentials of neurosurgical anesthesia & critical care 2012, Springer
- Essentials of regional anesthesia 2012, SpringerPart I. General Principles of Regional Anesthesia Practice -- 1. General Considerations for Regional Anesthesia Practice / Edward R. Mariano and Karley J. Mariano -- 2. Monitoring for Regional Anesthesia / Jeff Gadsden -- 3. Regional Anesthesia in the Community Practice Setting / Joseph Marino and Brian E. Harrington -- Part II. Basic Science and Clinical Practice -- 4. The Anatomy of Pain / Harry J. Gould III and Alan David Kaye -- 5. Practical Pharmacology in Regional Anesthesia / Jose A. Aguirre, Gina Votta-Velis, and Alain Borgeat -- 6. Anticoagulation and Regional Anesthesia Concerns / Rinoo Shah, Alan David Kaye, Adam Kaye, and Jeffrey Y. Tsai -- Part III. Equipment for Regional Anesthesia -- 7. Equipment and Clinical Practice: Aids to Localization of Peripheral Nerves / Beverly Pearce-Smith and Johnny K. Lee -- 8. Principles of Sonography / Paul E. Bigeleisen and Steven Orebaugh -- 9. Ultrasound-Guided Peripheral Nerve Blockade / David M. Polaner and Alan Bielsky -- 10. Sonopathology / Jonathan T. Weed and Brian D. Sites -- Part IV. Techniques for Regional Anesthesia -- 11. Neuraxial Blockade: Subarachnoid Anesthesia / Maria Teresa Gudin, Ramón López, Jesus Estrada, and Esperanza Ortigosa -- 12. Neuraxial Blockade: Epidural Anesthesia / Sreekumar Kunnumpurath, S. Ramessur, A. Fendius, and Nalini Vadivelu -- 13. Upper Extremity Nerve Blocks / De Q.H. Tran, Shubada Dugani, and Juan Francisco Asenjo -- 14. Peripheral Nerve Blocks for the Lower Extremity / Sylvia Wilson and Anna Uskova -- 15. Regional Anesthetic Techniques for Foot Surgery / Rick Chien-An Chen and Peter A. Blume -- 16. Regional Anesthesia of Thorax and Abdomen / Rita Merman and Vlad Shick -- 17. Head and Neck: Scalp, Ophthalmic, and Cervical Blocks / Desiree Persaud and Sébastian Garneau -- 18. Local Anesthesia of the Masticatory Region / Henry A. Gremillion, Christopher J. Spencer, and Alex D. Ehrlich -- 19. Topical and Regional Anesthesia of the Airway / Ryan P. Ellender, Paul L. Samm, and Richard H. Whitworth, Jr. -- 20. Selective Regional Anesthesia Options in Surgical Subspecialties / Henry Liu, Charles James Fox, Michael J. Yarborough, and Alan David Kaye -- 21. Regional Anesthesia for Chronic Disease States / Siamak Rahman and Parisa Partownavid -- 22. Intravenous Regional Anesthesia / Lindsey Vokach-Brodsky -- 23. Regional Anesthesia and Trauma / Daniela Elena Francesca Ghisi, Andrea Fanelli, and Carl Rest -- 24. Postoperative Pain Management / Ralf E. Gebhard and Andres Missair -- 25. Sympathetic Blockade / Rafael Justiz, Audra Day, and Miles Day -- Part V. Special Populations -- 26. Regional Anesthesia for Chronic Pain / Vijay Krishnamoorthy, Ruben Koshy, Gina Votta-Velis, and Alain Borgeat -- 27. Regional Anesthetic Techniques for the Pediatric Patient / Bryan Fritz, Marlene Barnhouse, Usha Ramadhyani, and Bobby Nossaman -- 28. Obstetric Anesthesiology / Ray L. Paschall -- 29. Regional Anesthesia for Outpatient Surgery / Joshua E. Smith -- Part VI. Additional Topics -- 30. Outcome Studies and Infection Control in Regional Anesthesia / Joel Barton and Stuart A. Grant -- 31. Regional Anesthesiology Education / Jonathan C. Beathe.
- Geriatric anesthesiology. 2nd ed. 2008, SpringerThe practice of geriatric anesthesia / Jeffrey H. Silverstein -- Demographics and economics of geriatric patient care / Maria F. Galati and Roger D. London -- Theories of aging / Stanley Muravchick -- Ethical management of the elderly patient / Paul J. Hoehner -- Teaching geriatric anesthesiology to practitioners, residents, and medical students / Sheila J. Ellis -- Research priorities in geriatric anesthesiology / Christopher J. Jankowski and David J. Cook -- Alterations in metabolic functions and electrolytes / Michael C. Lewis -- Perioperative thermoregulation / Daniel I. Sessler -- Postoperative central nervous system dysfunction / Deborah J. Culley, Terri G. Monk, and Gregory Crosby-- Alterations in circulatory function / Thomas J. Ebert and G. Alec Rooke --The aging respiratory system : anesthetic strategies to minimize perioperative pulmonary complications / Rodrigo Cartin-Ceba ... [et al.] -- Operative debridements of chronic wounds / Andrew M. Hanflik ... [et al.] -- Preoperative risk stratificationand methods to reduce risk / Linda L. Liu and Jacqueline M. Leung -- Anesthetic implications of chronic medications / Tamas A. Szabo and R. David Warters -- The pharmacology of opioids / Steven L. Shafer and Pamela Flood -- Intravenous hypnotic anesthetics / Matthew D. McEvoy and J.G. Reves -- Inhalational anesthetics / Gary R. Haynes -- Relaxants and their reversal agents / Cynthia A. Lien and Takahiro Suzuki -- Management of regional anesthesia / Bernadette Veering --Fluid management / Jessica Miller, Lee A. Fleisher, and Jeffrey L. Carson -- Pain management / Jack M. Berger -- Anesthesia considerations for geriatric outpatients / Kathryn E. McGoldrick -- Sedaton and monitoring / Sheila R. Barnett -- Total hip replacement, joint replacement, and hip fracture / Idit Matot and Shaul Beyth -- Transurethral prostatectomy syndrome and other complications of urologic procedures / Daniel M. Gainsburg -- Thoracic procedures / Steven M. Neustein and James B. Eisenkraft -- Cardiac procedures / James H. Abernathy III -- Vascular procedures / Leanne Groban and Sylvia Y. Dolinski -- Abdominal procedures / Jeffrey H. Silverstein.
- Handbook of ambulatory anesthesia. 2nd ed. 2008, SpringerPreanesthesia Evaluation and Testing / L. Reuven Pasternak -- Minimally invasive and advanced ambulatory procedures / Shireen Ahmad -- Adult Clinical Challenges / Donald M. Mathews and Rebecca S. Twersky -- Pediatric clinical challenges / Lucinda L. Everett and Gennadiy Fuzaylov -- Pediatric perioperative management / Raafat S. Hannallah -- Adult preoperative preparation: equipment and monitoring / J. Lance Lichtor -- Sedation techniques / Tong J. Gan and Beverly K. Philip -- Regional anesthesia / Holly C. L. Evans, Karen C. Nielsen and Susan M. Steele -- General anesthesia / Ralph Gertler and Girish P. Joshi -- Anesthesia outside the operating room / Steven C. Hall -- Office-based anesthesia / Hector Vila, Meena S. Desai and Rafael V. Miguel -- Postanesthesia care recovery and management / Johnathan L. Pregler and Patricia A. Kapur -- Discharge process / Frances Chung and Jeremy Lermitte -- Quality management, regulation, and accreditation / Jerry A. Cohen, Sorin J. Brull and Walter G. Maurer -- Ambulatory surgery center profitability, efficiency, and cost containment / Tom Archer, Steve Mannis and Alex Macario -- Administrative aspects of ambulatory surgery / William H. Beeson.
- Handbook of blood gas/acid-base interpretation. 2nd ed. 2013, SpringerGas Exchange -- The Non-Invasive Monitoring of Blood Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide Levels -- Acids and Bases -- Buffer Systems -- pH -- Acidosis and Alkalosis -- Respiratory Acidosis -- Respiratory Alkalosis -- Metabolic Acidosis -- Metabolic Alkalosis -- The Analysis of Blood Gases -- Factors Modifying the Accuracy of ABG Results -- Case Examples.
- Handbook of clinical anesthesia procedures of the Massachusetts General Hospital. 8th ed. 2010, OvidPart I: Evaluating the patient before anesthesia --Evaluating the patient before anesthesia /Alla Tauber and Mary Kraft --Specific considerations with cardiac disease /Shahzad Shaefi and Hovig V. Chitilian --Specific considerations with pulmonary disease /Stephanie C. Cintora and Kenneth E. Shepherd --Specific considerations with renal disease /Rafael Vazquez and William Benedetto --Specific considerations with liver disease /Salomon M. Maya and Wilton C. Levine --Specific considerations with endocrine disease /Anne M. Drewry, Robert A. Peterfreund, and Stephanie L. Lee --Infectious diseases and infection control in anesthesia /Shahzad Shaefi and Ulrich Schmidt --Part II: Administration of anesthesia --Safety in anesthesia /Sara N. Goldhaber-Fiebert and Jeffrey B. Cooper --The anesthesia machine /Andrew R. Vaclavik and Greg Ginsburg --Monitoring /Jennifer Chatburn and Warren S. Sandberg --Intravenous and inhalation anesthetics /Claudia Benkwitz and Ken Solt --Neuromuscular blockade /Oleg V. Evgenov and Peter F. Dunn --Airway evaluation and management /Cosmin Gauran and Peter F. Dunn --Administration of general anesthesia /Victor A. Chin and Stuart A. Forman --Local anesthetics /Maryam Jowza and Rebecca D. Minehart --Spinal, epidural, and caudal anesthesia /Jason M. Lewis and May C. M. Pian-Smith --Regional anesthesia /Keith Fragoza and Lisa Warren --Intra-anesthetic problems /Jonathan D. Bloom and Keith Baker --Perioperative hemodynamic control /Brian T. Bateman and Vilma E. Ortiz --Anesthesia for abdominal surgery /Emily A. Singer and John J. A. Marota --Anesthesia for thoracic surgery /Junichi Naganuma and Paul H. Alfille --Anesthesia for vascular surgery /M. Richard Pavao and Edward A. Bittner --Anesthesia for cardiac surgery /Ethan Small and Jason Zhensheng Qu --Anesthesia for neurosurgery /Scott A. LeGrand and Michele Szabo --Anesthesia for head and neck surgery /Brian D. Cauley and Deborah S. Pederson --Anesthesia for urologic surgery /Kris C. Lukauskis and William R. Kimball --Anesthesia for geriatric patients /Zhongcong Xie and Christine Finer --Anesthesia for surgical emergencies in the neonate /James Y. Ko ... [et al.] --Anesthesia for pediatric surgery /Susan A. Vassallo and LIsbeth L. Pappas --Anesthesia for obstetrics and gynecology /Amy Ortman and Lisa Leffert --Ambulatory anesthesia /Christopher J. Hodge and LIsa Wollman --Anesthesia outside of the operating room /Thomas J. Graetz and John J. A. Marota --Anesthesia for trauma and burns /Vikram Kumar and Keith Baker --Transfusion therapy /Shubha V. Y. Raju and Jonathan E. Charnin --Part III: Perioperative issues --The postanesthesia care unit /Asheesh Kumar and Edward E. George --Perioperative respiratory failure /Michael R. Shaughnessy and Luca M. Bigatello --Adult, pediatric, and newborn resuscitation /Richard M. Pino, Bradley E. Randel, and Arthur J. Tokarcyzk --Pain /Karsten Bartels and James P. Rathmell --Complementary and alternative medicine /Margaret A. Gargarian and P. Grace Harrell --Ethical and end-of-life issues /Sheri Berg and Rae M. Allain --Appendix A: supplemental drug information /Bishr Haydar.
- Handbook of clinical anesthesia. 7th ed. 2013, Ovid"The Handbook of Clinical Anesthesia, Seventh Edition, is a companion to the parent textbook, Clinical Anesthesia, Seventh Edition. This widely acclaimed reference parallels the textbook and presents content in a concise outline format with additional appendices. The Handbook makes liberal use of tables, graphics, and clinical pearls, to enhance rapid access of the subject matter. This comprehensive, pocket-sized reference guides you through virtually every aspect of perioperative, intraoperative, and postoperative patient care."--Provided by publisher.
- Handbook of neuroanesthesia. 4th ed. 2007, OvidPhysiology and metabolism of the brain and spinal cord / Ira S. Kass -- Effects of anesthesia on cerebral and spinal cord physiology / Rosemary Hickey -- Neurophysiologic monitoring / M. Sean Kincaid and Arthur M. Lam -- Cerebral protection and resuscitation / Myrna I. Morales, Janet Pittman, and James E. Cottrell -- Management of pain in the neurosurgical patient / Timothy R. Deer -- Anesthetic management of head trauma / Takefumi Sakabe and Audrée A. Bendo -- Anesthesia for supratentorial tumors / Nicolas J. Bruder and Patrick A. Ravussin -- Anesthesia for posterior fossa surgery / Deborah J. Culley and Gregory Crosby -- Anesthetic management of intracranial aneurysms / Philippa Newfield and Audrèe A. Bendo -- Ischemic cerebrovascular disease / Ian A. Herrick, Miquel F. Arango, and Adrian W. Gelb -- Neuroendocrine tumors: pathophysiology / David L. Schreibman and M. Jane Matjasko -- Epilepsy, epilepsy surgery, awake craniotomy for tumor surgery, and intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging / Pirjo Hellen Manninen and Jee Jian See --Spinal cord: injury and procedures / Gary R. Stier ... [et al.] -- Pediatric neuroanesthesia / Philippa Newfield, Lawrence H. Feld, and Rukaiya K.A. Hamid -- Neurosurgery in the pregnant patient / David J. Wlody and Lela D. Weems -- Anesthetic management of therapeutic interventional neuroradiologic procedures / Shailendra Joshi, Sundeep Mangla, and William L. Young -- Anesthetic management of diagnostic neuroradiology / Deborah M. Whelan, Melissa A. Laxton, and Patricia H. Petrozza -- Complications in the postanesthesia care unit / Jean G. Charchaflieh and Samrat H. Worah -- Respiratory care of the neurosurgical patient / Irene Rozet and Karen B. Domino -- Cardiovascular therapy / Steven J. Allen and C. Lee Parmley -- Fluid management / Concezione Tommasino -- Nutritional support in the critically ill patient / John M. Taylor and Linda Liu -- Traumatic brain injury, stroke, and brain death / Seth Manoach and Jean G. Charchaflieh.
- Laboratory animal anaesthesia. 3rd ed. 2009, ScienceDirectPreparing for anaesthesia -- Anaesthesia -- Anaesthetic management -- Special techniques -- Analgesia and post-operative care -- Anaesthesia of common laboratory species : special considerations.
- Liver anesthesiology and critical care medicine 2012, Springer
- Manual of clinical anesthesiology 2012, OvidIntroduction to anesthesiology -- Monitoring -- Equipment and procedures -- Intraoperative fluid management and blood component therapy -- Neuraxial and regional anesthesia -- Pharmacology -- Anesthesia and comorbid diseases -- Pediatric anesthesia -- Anesthetic concerns in subspecialty anesthesia -- Postoperative concerns in anesthesia -- Atlas of anesthesia procedures -- Atlas of transesophageal echocardiography -- Atlas of peripheral nerve block procedures.
- Manual of geriatric anesthesia 2013, SpringerThe Manual of Geriatric Anesthesia is a practical guide for physicians, residents, and students interested in the care of the elderly patient undergoing surgery. Although primarily written for anesthesiologists, other perioperative physicians and nurses will also find the information highly valuable. Highlights of the text include concise and clear discussions of preoperative assessment, anesthetic administration, the immediate postoperative care, as well as the more classic 'geriatric' topics such as the hip fracture patient, cataract surgery, postoperative delirium, dementia, ethics and end of life care. Clinical geriatric principles are woven into the text so that the reader can develop skills in geriatrics and develop a broader understanding of terminology and principles used in geriatric medicine.
- Miller's Anesthesia. 6th ed. v. 1-2, 2005.Print Material
- Miller's Anesthesia. 7th ed. v. 1-2, 2010., MD Consult
- Monitoring the nervous system for anesthesiologists and other health care professionals 2012, Springer
- Morgan & Mikhail's Clinical anesthesiology 2013 (5th ed.), AccessMedicine
- Multiple choice questions in regional anaesthesia 2013, Springer
- Near misses in pediatric anesthesia. 2nd ed. 2013, SpringerAuthored by ""a superb clinician and award-winning teacher, ""* Near Misses in Pediatric Anesthesiology, Second Edition is a thorough updating and significant expansion of this popular case book in the newest anesthesiology subspecialty to be approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties. The book comprises 87 true-story clinical ""near misses, "" including 40 cases that are brand new. Recommendations, references, and discussion accompany each case. The cases provide an ideal basis for problem-centered learning and also model how to learn from experience and to maintain professionalism.
- Obstetric anesthesia handbook. 5th ed. 2010, Springer
- Pain stethoscope 2011, SpringerIntroduction --Measuring pain intensity --Measuring pain quality --Measuring pain location --Measuring pain behavior --Measuring pain interference --Measuring sleep quality --Measuring depression --Measuring general physical functioning --Measuring alcohol and drug use --Measuring global improvement and satisfaction with pain care --References.
- Pediatric anesthesia, intensive care, and pain 2013, SpringerThis book provides a comprehensive overview of current standards of anesthesia and intensive care in neonates and children, with a view to promoting standardization in clinical practice. The first part of the book, devoted to issues in intensive care, opens by considering scoring systems for the assessment of sick children. The diagnosis, prevention, and management of ventilator-associated pneumonia are then discussed, and the roles of high-frequency oscillatory ventilation and noninvasive respiratory support are reviewed. Further chapters address procedural sedation and analgesia in children, the progress toward 'open' ICUs with liberal visiting policies, and advances in long-term home mechanical ventilation.In the second part of the book, a range of important topics in anesthesia and perioperative medicine are discussed. After a review of safety issues, current trends in pediatric regional and locoregional anesthesia are described and a synopsis is provided on current knowledge regarding the use of central blocks in infants and children. Subsequent chapters are devoted to awareness monitoring, single-lung ventilation techniques, anesthesia in the context of severe prematurity, and emergence delirium.Pediatric Anesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain: Standardization in Clinical Practice will be an extremely useful source of information for both novices and more experienced practitioners in the field.
- Pediatric anesthesiology review 2010, SpringerNewborn medicine -- Respiratory system -- Surgery -- Hematology/oncology -- Cardiology -- The musculoskeletal system -- General pediatrics -- Prematurity/extreme prematurity -- Newborn emergencies -- Neuroanesthesia -- Central nervous system/orthopedics -- Otolaryngology -- Head and neck -- Ophthalmology -- Respiratory system -- Cardiac I -- Cardiac II -- Gastrointestinal disease -- Renal -- Genitourinary system -- Bone and connective tissue -- Orthopedics: scoliosis -- Skin/connective tissue/metabolic disease -- Inborn errors of metabolism -- Allergy/immunology -- Infectious diseases -- Neuromuscular disease -- Endocrinopathies -- Transplantation -- Minimally invasive surgery -- Trauma I -- Trauma II -- Regional anesthesia -- Pain management -- Burns -- Anesthesia outside the operating room -- Equipment and monitoring -- Post anesthesia care unit (PACU) -- Critical care.
- Pediatric sedation outside of the operating room 2012, SpringerThe History of Sedation -- Procedural Sedation: Let's Review the Basics - The Pediatrician's Perspective -- Sedation Policies, Recommendations, and Guidelines Across the Specialties and Continents -- Sedation Scales and Discharge Criteria: How Do They Differ? Which One to Choose? Do They Really Apply to Sedation? -- Physiological Monitoring for Procedural Sedation: The Routine and Beyond -- The Pediatric Airway: Anatomy, Challenges, and Solutions -- Pediatric Physiology: How Does it Differ from Adults? -- Pharmacology and Clinical Application of Sedatives, Analgesics, and Adjuncts -- Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics in the Pediatric Population -- Billing and Reimbursement for Sedation Services -- The Pediatric Hospital Medicine Sedation Service: Models, Protocols, and Challenges -- The Anesthesia Directed Sedation Service: Models, Protocols, and Challenges -- Sedation in the Intensive Care Unit: Challenges, Outcomes, and Future Strategies -- Sedation for Pediatric Gastrointestinal Procedures -- Sedation in the Emergency Department: A Complex and Multifactorial Challenge -- Sedation of Pediatric Patients for Dental Procedures -- Pediatric Sedation: The European Experience and Approach -- Pediatric Sedation in the Underdeveloped Third World: An African Perspective: Models, Protocols, and Challenges -- Pediatric Sedatives and the Food and Drug Administration: Challenges, Limitations, and Drugs in Development -- Incidence and Stratification of Adverse Events Associated with Sedation: Is There a Benchmark? -- Medicolegal Risks and Outcomes of Sedation -- Designing a Safe and Reliable Sedation Service: Adopting a Safety Culture -- Intravenous Infusions for Sedation: Rationale, State of the Art, and Future Trends -- Use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Pediatric Sedation -- The Future of Pediatric Sedation.
- Perioperative addiction 2012, Springer
- Peripheral nerve blocks. 2nd ed. 2004, Ovid
- Pharmacology and physiology for anesthesia 2013, ScienceDirect
- Practical handbook of thoracic anesthesia 2012, Springer
- Practical issues in anesthesia and intensive care 2012, Springer
- Epidemiology of chronic pain in children and adolescents -- Pain disorder: a biopsychosocial disease -- Diagnostics of chronic pain in children and adolescents -- the basics of treating pain disorders in children and adolescents -- When to decide on inpatient pain therapy? -- Pain therapy in childhood and adolescent chronic pain -- Specifics of pain therapy in children with mental disorders, severe somantic disease, or psychosocial stress factors -- Is it all worthwhile? - Effectiveness in intensive interdisciplinary pain treatment -- Diagnostic tools.
- Pre-hospital anaesthesia handbook 2010, SpringerIntroduction -- Indications and decision making -- Pre-hospital rapid sequence intubation -- Post-intubation management -- Equipment and minimum monitoring standards -- Drugs and sedation -- Special circumstances -- Complications and adverse events -- Appendices.
- Principles and practice of anesthesia for thoracic surgery 2011, Springerpt. 1. Preoperative evaluation -- pt. 2. Thoracic anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology -- pt. 3. Diagnostic and therapeutic procedures of the trachea and airways -- pt. 4. Diagnostic and therapeutic procedures of the mediastinum -- pt. 5. Anesthetic management for intra-thoracic surgery -- pt. 6. Specific patient considerations -- pt. 7. Complex thoracic surgical procedures -- pt. 8. Anesthetic management of uncommon pulmonary procedures -- pt. 9. Anesthesia for surgical procedures for end-stage lung diseases -- pt. 10. Anesthesia for pediatric thoracic surgical procedures -- pt. 11. Trauma -- pt. 12. Post-operative management.
- 1. Introduction to the Operating Room -- 2. Anatomy of Intraoperative Monitoring -- 3. Cellular Neurophysiology -- 4. Electrophysiology and Bioinstrumentation -- 5. Anesthesiology and Intraoperative Electrophysiological Monitoring -- 6. Somatosensory Evoked Potential Monitoring -- 7. Motor Evoked Potentials -- 8. Electromyography (EMG) -- 9. Brainstem Auditory Evoked Potentials -- 10. Electroencephalography -- 11. The H-Reflex and F-Response -- 12. Monitoring Procedures of the Spine -- 13. Intraoperative Monitoring for Surgery of the Spinal Cord and Cauda Equina -- 14. Monitoring Posterior Fossa Craniotomies -- 15. Intraoperative Monitoring for Carotid Endarterectomy -- 16. Monitoring for ENT Procedures -- 17. Peripheral Nerve Monitoring -- 18. Intraoperative Cortical Mapping: Basic Concepts, Indications, and Anesthesia Considerations -- 19. Neurological Assessment and Correlation in Spinal Cord Nerve Root Pathology -- 20. Electrophysiological Assessment of Spinal Cord Pathology in Pain Medicine -- 21. Spinal Cord Stimulation: Principles and Applications -- 22. New Vistas: Small-Pain-Fibers Method of Testing for Spinal Cord Assessment in Pain States.
- Sleep and Anesthesia 2011, SpringerSleep and anesthesia resemble in many ways at a first glance. The most prominent common feature of course is the loss of consciousness, i.e. the loss of awareness of external stimuli. However a closer look at the loss of consciousness reveals already a difference between sleep and anesthesia: anesthesia is induced by an anesthetic drug whereas we may fall asleep without external cause. Other questions may arise about the difference of the two effects: do we dream during surgery under anesthesia, do we feel pain during sleep? Essentially, we may ask: what is common and what are the differences.
- Smith's anesthesia for infants and children. 8th ed. 2011, ScienceDirect
- Suppressing the mind 2010, Springer
- Thoraco-abdominal aorta 2011, Springer
- Wondrous story of anesthesia 2014, SpringerPart I. The Woven Story of Anesthesia: Eras, Exemplars, and Looking Forward -- 1. History to 1798 -- 2. The Half Century Before Ether Day -- 3. 1844-1846: The Discovery and Demonstration of Anesthesia -- 4. 1846-1860: Following the Discovery of Anesthesia -- 5. 1860-1910: The Specialty of Anesthesia Develops Slowly -- 6. 1910-1950: Anesthesia Before, During, and After Two World Wars -- 7. History Reflected in the Evolving Approaches to Anesthesia for a Patient Undergoing Cholecystectomy -- 8. Major Anesthetic Themes in the 1950s -- 9. Major Anesthetic Themes in the 1960s -- 10. Major Anesthetic Themes in the 1970s -- 11. Major Anesthetic Themes in the 1980s -- 12. Significant Developments in the 1990s -- 13. Major Anesthesia-Related Events in the 2000s and Beyond -- 14. Predicting the Future -- Part II. Individual Stories -- 15. Surgery Before and After the Discovery of Anesthesia -- 16. A History of Women in American Anesthesiology -- 17. Anesthesia, Anesthesiologists, and Modern Medical Ethics -- 18. A History of Drug Addiction in Anesthesia -- 19. The American Society of Anesthesiologists Contributions to the Development of Anesthesiology -- 20. The Role of the International Anesthesia Research Society in the History of Anesthesia -- 21. Establishment of Anesthesia Certification and the ABA -- 22. The Evolution of Nurse Anesthesia in the United States -- 23. A History of Veterinary Anesthesia -- 24. The History of Anaesthesia in Australia and New Zealand -- 25. History of Canadian Anesthesia -- 26. The History of Anesthesia in Mexico, the Caribbean Islands and Central America -- 27. A History of Anesthesia in China -- 28. Aspects of the Development of Anesthesia in France -- 29. The Development of Anaesthesiology in German-Speaking Countries -- 30. The Evolution of Anaesthesia in the British Isles -- 31. The History of Anesthesia in Japan -- 32. A History of Nordic Anesthesia -- 33. A History of Anesthesia in South America -- 34. A History of Anaesthesia Journals -- 35. A History of the American Board of Anesthesiology Certifying Examinations -- 36. Development of the Certification Examination by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (1933-2012) -- 37. The Development of Education in Anesthesia in the United States -- 38. Evolution of Education in Anesthesia in Europe -- 39. A History of Research in Anesthesia -- 40. Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Modeling in Anesthesia -- 41. A Brief History of the Patient Safety Movement in Anaesthesia -- 42. Where and How Does the Anesthetic Process Help or Hurt Patients Independent of Producing Anesthesia? -- 43. The History of Outcomes Research in Anesthesia -- 44. A History of Pharmacogenomics Related to Anesthesiology -- 45. The Unfolding Story of How General Anesthetics Act -- 46. A History of Inhaled Anesthetics -- 47. A History of Intravenous Anesthesia -- 48. The History of Opioid Use in Anesthetic Delivery -- 49. The Evolution of Premedication -- 50. A History of Neuromuscular Block and Its Antagonism -- 51. The Development of Local Anesthetics -- 52. Anesthesia Machines and Breathing Systems: An Evolutionary Success Story -- 53. The Development of the Copper Kettle with Comments on Vaporizers that Preceded and Followed -- 54. The Development of Techniques for Airway Management -- 55. History of Respiratory Gas Monitoring in Anesthesia -- 56. The Story of Artificial Ventilation -- 57. From Copenhagen to Critical Care -- 58. A History of Intensive Care Medicine -- 59. The Development of Ambulatory and Office-Based Anesthesia -- 60. The Anesthesiologist and Pain a Historical Memoir -- 61. A History of Cardiac Anesthesiology -- 62. A History of Pain Relief During Childbirth -- 63. A History of Regional Anesthesia -- 64. A History of Neuroanesthesia -- 65. Pediatric Anesthesia -- 66. Some Examples of Industry Contributions to the History of Anesthesia -- 67. The History of the Anesthetist as a Perioperative Physician.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Shortcut to Licensed Content
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Links” (IE7) or “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
What is it?
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) gives you access to resources licensed by the library even when you're not coming from a Lane or a Stanford IP address.
While we'd like Lane to be your gateway to our licensed content, we recognize that links to books, articles and journals come from a variety of different sources (Google, your email, RSS reader, etc.).
When installed, it will look your browser bookmark.
At the page you would like to proxy, click the "Lane Gateway to Licensed Content" to invoke it.
If Lane licenses that content, you'll get access as if you were on campus.
How does it work?
This allows you to view the URL as though you were on campus, giving you access to materials licensed for use by the Stanford academic community.
If you're not authenticated, you'll be prompted for your SUNetID and password.
Don't see the Toolbar, Bookmarks, or Links or Favorites bar?
From the "View" menu, select "Toolbars" & choose "Bookmarks Toolbar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Show Bookmarks Bar"
From the "View" menu, choose "Always Show Bookmarks Bar"
- Right-click in a clear area near the browser address bar
- In the menu, check a box next "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites" (IE8, IE9)
- Managing IE Favorites
This shortcut (Lane proxy bookmarklet) only works with resources Lane has licensed and configured to work with our proxy server.
If invoked on a resource we do not license and/or have not yet configured, you will see an error message:
The Lane proxy server cannot complete your request because this host has not been configured properly.
We make no attempt to configure our proxy server for every resource, only those we license and for which a Stanford IP address grants access.
Drag this button onto your browser toolbar to install.
- Right click this button
- Select "Add to Favorites", click "Continue" if you see a security alert
- In "Create in" menu, select "Links" (IE7) or "Favorites Bar" (IE8, IE9) to install
Drag this button onto Safari Bookmarks bar to install.
- Springer Protocols
- MD Consult
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases