- V(D)J recombination 2009SpringerEarly steps of V(D)J rearrangement : insights from biochemical studies of RAG-RSS complexes / Patrick C. Swanson, Sushil Kumar, and Prafulla Raval -- Regulation of RAG transposition / Adam G.W. Matthews and Marjorie A. Oettinger -- Recent insights into the formation of RAG-induced chromosomal translocations / Vicky L. Brandt and David B. Roth -- V(D)J recombination deficiencies / Jean-Pierre de Villartay -- Large-scale chromatin remodeling at the immunoglobulin heavy chain locus : a paradigm for multigene regulation / Daniel J. Bolland, Andrew L. Wood, and Anne E. Corcoran -- Genetic and epigenetic control of V gene rearrangement frequency / Ann J. Feeney -- Dynamic aspects of TCRa gene recombination : qualitative and quantitative assessments of the TCRa chain repertoire in man and mouse / Evelyne Jouvin-Marche, Patrizia Fuschiotti, and Patrice Noël Marche -- Germline transcription : a key regulator of accessibility and recombination / Iratxe Abarrategui and Michael S. Krangel -- Dynamic regulation of antigen receptor gene assembly / Lance R. Thomas, Robin Milley Cobb, and Eugene M. Oltz -- Molecular genetics at the T-cell receptor b locus : insights into the regulation of V(D)J recombination / Marie Bonnet, Pierre Ferrier, and Salvatore Spicuglia -- Molecular pathways and mechanisms regulating the recombination of immunoglobulin genes during B-lymphocyte development / Kristen Johnson, Karen L. Reddy, and Harinder Singh -- Regulation of V(D)J recombinationby E-protein transcription factors / Mary Elizabeth Jones and Yuan Zhuang -- Temporal and spatial regulation of V(D)J recombination : interactions of extrinsic factors with the RAG complex / Yun Liu, Li Zhang, and Stephen Desiderio -- V(D)J recombination : of mice and sharks / Ellen Hsu -- Normal and pathological V(D)J recombination : contribution to the understanding of human lymphoid malignancies / Saïda Dadi ... [et al.].
- Vaccination a tool for the control of avian influenza : Verona, Italy, 20-22 March, 2007 : proceedings of a joint OIE/FAO/IZSVe conference co-organised with the European CommissionPrint Material
- Print MaterialDevelopment of vaccine adjuvants : a historical perspective / Gary Ott and Gary Van Nest -- Antigen processing and presentation / Subash Sad -- Mechanisms of adjuvant action / Nils Lycke -- Aluminum-containing adjuvants : properties, formulation, and use / Stanley L. Hem and Harm HogenEsch -- MF59 : a safe and potent oil-in-water emulsion adjuvant / Derek T. O'Hagan and Manmohan Singh -- TLR4 agonists as vaccine adjuvants / David A. Johnson and Jory R. Baldridge -- Immunostimulatory CpG oligodeoxynucleotides as vaccine adjuvants / Dennis M. Klinman, Debbie Currie, and Hidekazu Shirota -- Small molecule immunopotentiators as vaccine adjuvants / Fengfeng Xu, Nicholas M. Valiante, and Jeffrey B. Ulmer -- New ISCOMs meet unsettled vaccine demands / Bror Morein ... [et al.] -- Surface-charged poly(lactide-co-glycolide) microparticles as novel antigen delivery systems / Manmohan Singh ... [et al.] -- Liposomal cytokines and liposomes targeted to co-stimulatory molecules as adjuvants for HIV subunit vaccines / Bulent Ozpolat and Lawrence B. Lachman -- Archaeosome vaccine adjuvants for cross-priming CD8+ T-cell immunity / Lakshmi Krishnan and G. Dennis Sprott -- Mucosal adjuvants and delivery systems / Michael Vajdy -- Cytokines as vaccine adjuvants / Nejat K. Egilmez -- Polyphosphazenes as vaccine adjuvants / Alexander K. Andrianov -- Vaccine delivery by transdermal electroporation / Amit Misra -- Nonclinical safety assessment of vaccines and the evaluation of novel adjuvants and delivery systems / Jose A. Lebron ... [et al.] -- Safety evaluation of vaccine adjuvants / Erik B. Lindblad.
- Microbial pathogenesis and the discovery of toll-like receptor function / Bruce Beutler -- Dendritic cells: targets for immune modulation by microbes and immunologists / Bali Pulendran ... [et al.] -- Achieving transcriptional specificity in NF-[gamma]B-dependent inflammatory gene expression / Gioacchino Natoli -- Adjuvants and the initiation of t-cell responses / Matthew F. Mescher, Julie M. Curtsinger, and Marc Jenkins -- Mechanism for recognition of CpG DNA / Kiyoshi Takeda, Hiroaki Hemmi, and Shizuo Akira -- CpG ODN as a Th1 immune enhancer for prophylactic and therapeutic vaccines / Arthur M. Kried and Heather L. Davis -- Modified bacterial toxins / Ed C. Lavelle, Olive Leavy, and Kingston H.G. Mills -- Glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchors as natural immunological adjuvants derived from protozoan parasites / Ricardo T. Gazzinelli ... [et al.] -- The immunomodulatory glycan LNFPIII/Lewis X functions as a potent adjuvant for protein antigens / Mitsuhiro Okano ... [et al.] -- Immune and antiviral effects of the synthetic immunomodulator murabutide: molecular basis and clinical potential / George M. Bahr -- Effect of QS-21 on innate and adaptive immune responses / Charlotte Read Kensil ... [et al.] -- Monophosphoryl lipid A and synthetic lipid a mimetics as TLR4-based adjuvants and immunomodulators / Jory Baldridge ... [et al.] -- Microparticles and DNA vaccines / Kimberly Denis-Mize ... [et al.].
- Vaccine cell substrates 2004 National Institutes of Health (NIH), Doubletree Hotel, Rockville, Md., USA, June 29-July 1, 2004Print Material
- Print MaterialIn this account of vaccination's miraculous, inflammatory past and its uncertain future, journalist Arthur Allen reveals a history both illuminated with hope and shrouded by controversy--from Edward Jenner's discovery of smallpox vaccine in 1796 to Pasteur's vaccines for rabies and cholera, to those that safeguarded the children of the twentieth century, and finally to the tumult currently surrounding vaccination. Faced with threats from anthrax to AIDS, we are a vulnerable population and can no longer depend on vaccines; numerous studies have linked childhood vaccination with various neurological disorders, and our pharmaceutical companies are more attracted to the profits of treatment than to the prevention of disease.--From publisher description.
- Vaccines against allergies 2011SpringerImmunological approaches for tolerance induction in allergy -- Clinical experience with recombinant molecules for allergy vaccination -- Allergen-specific immunotherapy with recombinant allergens -- Vaccine approaches for food allergy -- Intralymphatic immunotherapy: From the rationale to human applications -- Induction of allergen-specific tolerance via mucosal routes -- T cell epitope-based allergy vaccines -- Allergen-specific immunotherapy: Towards combination vaccines for allergic and infectious diseases -- Passive immunization with allergen-specific antibodies -- Cell-based therapy in allergy -- Current strategies for allergen-specific immunotherapy at its centenary.
- Vaccines for biodefense and emerging and neglected diseases. 1st ed. 2009ScienceDirect
- Vaccines for pandemic influenza 2009SpringerPart I. Pandemic Influenza Overview -- Pandemic influenza as a current threat -- Antigenic cross-reactivity among H5N1 Viruses -- -- Part II. Current Approaches for Human and Avian Vaccine Production -- Seasonal influenza vaccines -- Generation and characterization of candidate vaccine viruses for pre-pandemic influenza vaccines -- Live attenuated vaccines for pandemic influenza -- Influenza vaccines for avian species -- Development and application of avian influenza vaccines in China -- -- Part III. Novel Vaccine Approaches -- Designing vaccines for pandemic influenza -- Attenuated influenza virus vaccines with modified NS1 proteins -- DNA Vaccines against Influenza viruses -- Recombinant proteins produced in insect cells -- Influenza neuraminidase as a vaccine antigen -- Recombinant vectors as influenza vaccines -- Influenza virus-like particles as pandemic vaccines -- Pandemic influenza vaccines -- Adjuvants for pandemic influenza vaccines -- -- Part IV. Novel Approaches of Vaccine Delivery -- Transcutaneous immunization with influenza vaccines -- Microneedle-based vaccines -- -- Part V. Vaccine Evaluation, Production and Distribution -- Animal models for evaluation of influenza vaccines -- Immunosenescence and influenza vaccine efficacy -- Vaccines for pandemic influenza: summary of recent clinical trials -- Considerations for licensure of influenza vaccines with pandemic and pre-pandemic indications -- Strategies for broad global access to pandemic influenza -- Prioritization of pandemic influenza vaccine: rationale and strategy for decision-making.
- Vaccines-- a biography 2010SpringerVaccinology in context : the historical burden of infectious diseases / Andrew W. Artenstein -- Smallpox / Andrew W. Artenstein -- A brief history of microbiology and immunology / Steven M. Opal -- Anthrax / Peter C.B. Turnbull -- Rabies / Hervé Bourhy, Annick Perrot, and Jean-Marc Cavaillon -- Killed vaccines : cholera, typhoid, and plague / Charles C.J. Carpenter and Richard B. Hornick -- Toxoid vaccines / John D. Grabenstein -- Tuberculosis and BCG / Marina Gheorghiu, Micheline Lagranderie, and Anne-Marie Balazuc -- The discovery of viruses and the evolution of vaccinology / Nicholas C. Artenstein and Andrew W. Artenstein -- Yellow fever / Thomas P. Monath -- Influenza / Andrew W. Artenstein -- Polio / David Oshinsky -- Measles, mumps, and rubella / Kathleen M. Gallagher ... [et al.] -- Diseases of military importance / Alan Cross and Phil Russell -- Varicella and zoster / Anne A. Gershon -- Polysaccharide vaccines / Andrew W. Artenstein -- Hepatitis B / Baruch S. Blumberg -- Japanese encephalitis / Scott B. Halstead -- Hepatitis A / Leonard N. Binn and Stanley M. Lemon -- Rotavirus / Penelope H. Dennehy -- Human papillomaviruses / Ian H. Frazer -- The future of vaccine discovery and development / Adel Mahmoud.
- Print MaterialA short history of vaccination / Susan L. Plotkin, Stanley A. Plotkin -- Vaccine immunology / Claire-Anne Siegrist -- The vaccine industry / R. Gordon Douglas, Jerald C. Sadoff, Vijay B. Samant -- Vaccine manufacturing / Phillip L. Gomez, James M. Robinson, Joseph A. Rogalewicz -- Immunologic adjuvants / Frederick R. Vogel, Stanley L. Hem -- Vaccine additives and manufacturing residuals in United States-licenced vaccines / Theresa M. Finn, William Egan -- General immunization practices / William L. Atkinson, Andrew L. Kroger, Larry K. Pickering -- Anthrax vaccines / Philip S. Brachman, Arthur M. Friedlander, John D. Grabenstein -- Cholera vaccines / Carol O. Tacket, David A. Sack -- Diphtheria toxoid / Charles R. Vitek, Melinda Wharton -- Haemophilus influenzae vaccines / Aruna Chandran, James P. Watt, Mathuram Santosham -- Hepatitis A vaccines / Anthony E. Fiore, Stephen M. Feinstone, Beth P. Bell -- Hepatitis B vaccines / Eric E. Mast, John W. Ward -- Human papillomavirus vaccines / John T. Schiller, Ian H. Frazer, Douglas R. Lowy -- Inactivated influenza vaccines / Carolyn B. Bridges ... [et al.] -- Influenza vaccine--live / Robert B. Belshe ... [et al.] -- Japanese encephalitis virus vaccines / Scott B. Halstead, Julie Jacobson -- Measles vaccines / Peter M. Strebel ... [et al.] -- Meningococcal vaccines / Dan M. Granoff, Lee H. Harrison, Ray Borrow -- Mumps vaccines / Stanley A. Plotkin, Steven A. Rubin -- Pertussis vaccines / Kathryn M. Edwards, Michael D. Decker -- Plague vaccines / E. Diane Williamson, Andrew J. Simpson, Richard W. Titball -- Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and pneumococcal common protein vaccines / Steven Black ... [et al.] -- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccines / Lisa A. Jackson, Kathleen M. Neuzil -- Poliovirus vaccine-inactivated / Stanley A. Plotkin, Emmanuel Vidor -- Poliovirus vaccine-live / Roland W. Sutter, Olen M. Kew, Stephen L. Cochi -- Rabies vaccines / Stanley A. Plotkin, Hilary Koprowski, Charles E. Rupprecht -- Rotavirus vaccines / H. Fred Clark ... [et al.] -- Rubella vaccine / Stanley A. Plotkin, Susan E. Reef -- Smallpox and vaccinia / Donald A. Henderson, Luciana L. Borio, John D. Grabenstein -- Tetanus toxoid / Steven G.F. Wassilak ... [et al.] -- Tick-borne encephalitis virus vaccines / P. Noel Barrett, Stanley A. Plotkin, Hartmut J. Ehrlich -- Tuberculosis vaccines / Kim Connelly Smith, Ian M. Orme, Jeffrey R. Starke -- Typhoid fever vaccines / Myron M. Levine -- Varicella vaccine / Anne A. Gershon, Michiaki Takahashi, Jane F. Seward -- Yellow fever vaccine / Thomas P. Monath, Martin S. Cetron, Dirk E. Teuwen -- Zoster vaccine / Myron J. Levin -- Combination vaccines / Michael D. Decker, Kathryn M. Edwards, Hugues H. Bogaerts -- Adenovirus vaccines / Charlotte A. Gaydos, Gregory C. Gray -- Biodefense and special pathogen vaccines / Philip Pittman, Stanley A. Plotkin -- Therapeutic cancer vaccines / Neil L. Berinstein, David Spaner -- Cytomegalovirus vaccines / Stanley A. Plotkin -- Dengue vaccines / Scott B. Halstead, David W. Vaughn -- Diarrheal disease vaccines / James P. Nataro, Eileen M. Barry -- Ebola vaccines / Nancy J. Sullivan, Gary J. Nabel -- Epstein-Barr virus vaccines / Joanne E. Davis, Denis J. Moss -- Hepatitis C virus vaccines / Eva Reali, Michael Houghton, Sergio Abrignani -- Hepatitis E virus vaccines / Robert H. Purcell, Suzanne U. Emerson -- Herpes simplex virus vaccines / Lawrence R. Stanberry -- Human immunodeficiency virus vaccines / Marc P. Girard, Wayne C. Koff -- Lyme disease vaccines / Allen C. Steere -- Malaria vaccines / Filip Dubovsky, Elissa Malkin -- Noninfectious disease vaccines / George R. Siber -- Respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza virus vaccines / Ruth A. Karron -- Parasitic disease vaccines / Peter J. Hotez, Jeffrey M. Bethony -- Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) vaccines / Bart L. Haagmans, Albert D.M.E. Osterhaus -- Staphylococcus aureus vaccines / Robert S. Daum -- Streptococcus group A vaccines / Karen L. Kotloff -- Streptococcus group B vaccines / C. Mary Healy, Carol J. Baker -- Technologies for making new vaccines / Ronald W. Ellis -- Alternative vaccine delivery methods / Bruce G. Weniger, Mark J. Papania -- The development of gene-based vectors for immunization / Gary J. Nabel --- Vaccination in the immunocompromised host / Per Ljungman -- Vaccination of human immunodeficiency virus-infected persons / William J. Moss, Neal A. Halsey -- Vaccines for international travel / Elizabeth D. Barnett, Phyllis E. Kozarsky, Robert Steffen -- Vaccines for health care workers / David J. Weber, William A. Rutala -- Immunization in the United States / Walter A. Orenstein ... [et al.] -- Immunization in Europe / David M. Salisbury, John S. Spika -- Immunization in the Asia-Pacific region / Theodore F. Tsai, Zhi Yi Xu -- Immunization in developing countries / Stephen C. Hadler ... [et al.] -- Community immunity / Paul E.M. Fine, Kim Mulholland -- Economic analyses of vaccine policies / Mark A. Miller, Alan R. Hinman -- Regulation and testing of vaccines / Norman W. Baylor, Karen Midthun -- Vaccine safety / Paul A. Offit, Robert L. Davis, Deborah Gust -- Legal issues / Geoffrey Evans, Emily Marcus Levine, Elizabeth H. Saindon -- Ethics / Arthur L. Caplan, Jason L. Schwartz.
- Vaccines. 6th ed. 2013ClinicalKeyA short history of vaccination -- Vaccine immunology -- The vaccine industry -- Vaccine manufacturing -- Evolution of adjuvants across the centuries -- Vaccine additives and manufacturing residuals in the United States: licensed vaccines -- Passive immunization -- General immunization practices -- Adenovirus vaccines -- Anthrax vaccines -- Cholera vaccines -- Diphtheria toxoid -- Haemophilus influenzae vaccines -- Hepatitis A vaccines -- Hepatitis B vaccines -- Human papillomavirus vaccines -- Inactivated influenza vaccines -- Influenza vaccine-live -- Japanese encephalitis vaccines -- Measles vaccine -- Meningococcal vaccines -- Mumps vaccine -- Pertussis vaccines -- Plague vaccines -- Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and pneumococcal common protein vaccines -- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccines -- Poliovirus vaccine-inactivated -- Poliovirus vaccine-live -- Rabies vaccines -- Rotavirus vaccines -- Rubella vaccine -- Smallpox and vaccinia -- Tetanus toxoid -- Tick-borne encephalitis virus vaccines -- Tuberculosis vaccines -- Typhoid fever vaccines -- Varicella vaccine -- Yellow fever vaccine -- Zoster vaccine -- Combination vaccines -- Biodefense and special pathogen vaccines -- Therapeutic cancer vaccines -- Cytomegalovirus vaccines -- Dengue vaccines -- Diarrhea caused by bacteria -- Ebola vaccine -- Epstein-Barr virus vaccines -- Hepatitis C vaccines -- Hepatitis E vaccines -- Herpes simplex virus vaccines -- Human immunodeficiency virus vaccines -- Lyme disease vaccines -- Malaria vaccines -- Noninfectious disease vaccines -- Respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza virus vaccines -- Parasitic disease vaccines -- Staphylococcus aureus vaccines -- Streptococcus group A vaccines -- Technologies for making new vaccines -- Alternative vaccine delivery methods -- The development of gene-based vectors for immunization -- Vaccination of immunocompromised hosts -- Vaccination of human immunodeficiency virus-infected persons -- Vaccines for international travel -- Vaccines for health care personnel -- Immunization in the United States -- Immunization in Europe -- Immunization in the Asia-Pacific region -- Immunization in developing countries -- Community immunity -- Economic analyses of vaccine policies -- Regulation and testing of vaccines -- Regulation of vaccines in Europe -- Regulation of vaccines in developing countries -- Vaccine safety -- Legal issues -- Ethics.
- The History of Vaccine Challenges: Conquering Diseases, Plagued by Controversy / Laura A. Jana -- Vaccine Development and Safety / Avinash K. Shetty -- Known Vaccine-Associated Adverse Events / B. A. Pahud -- Communicating Vaccine Risks and Benefits / Clea Sarnquist -- Vaccine Refusal: Perspectives from Pediatrics / Kody Moffatt, Clancy McNally -- The Anti-vaccine Movement: A Pharmacist's View / Jeffery Goad -- Antivaccinationism: Parental Viewpoint / Anna M. Johnson -- The Vaccine Misinformation Landscape in Family Medicine / Donald B. Middleton -- Vaccines: Boon or Bane--A Nurse's Outlook / Catherine O'Keefe -- The Controversy That Will Not Go Away: Vaccines and Autism / Archana Chatterjee, -- Thimerosal and Other Vaccine Additives / James H. Conway -- Perceived Risks from Live Viral Vaccines / Alice Pong, Mark Sawyer -- Can Vaccines Cause Cancer? / Ann-Christine Nyquist -- Autoimmunity, Allergies, and Asthma: A Relationship to Vaccines? / Harold C. Delasalas -- The Role of Public Health Ethics in Vaccine Decision Making: Insights from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention / Leonard Ortmann -- Alternative Schedules: Why Not? / Michael J. Smith -- Influenza Vaccines and Guillain Barré Syndrome / Nandini Bakshi, James J. Sejvar -- Can Vaccines Cause Chronic Diseases? / Ann-Christine Nyquist -- Kawasaki Disease and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome: Any Connection to Vaccination? / Kari Neemann -- Political and Legal Issues in Vaccination / Linda K. Ohri -- The Media's Role in Vaccine Misinformation / Paola Dees -- Vaccines and the Internet / David M. Berman -- An International Perspective on Vaccine Safety / Rajib Dasgupta -- An Infection Prevention Perspective on Immunizations / Sharon Plummer -- Insights from Public Health: A Framework for Understanding and Fostering Vaccine Acceptance / Glen J. Nowak, Kate LaVail.
- Vaginal surgery for incontinence and prolapse 2006Springer
- Vaginal surgery for the urologist. 1st ed. 2012ClinicalKeyHow to perform a focused pelvic examination on a woman with pelvic floor dysfunction / Eva Fong, Mickey Karram and Victor W. Nitti -- Vaginal incisions and dissection / Victor W. Nitti and Benjamin M. Brucker -- Pelvic organ prolapse : introduction, nonsurgical management, and planning of surgical repair / Grace Y. Biggs, Victor W. Nitti, Mickey Karram -- Repair of anterior vaginal wall prolapse / Victor W. Nitti and Mickey Karram -- Indications and techniques for vaginal hysterectomy for uterine prolapse / Nirit Rosenblum Victor W. Nitti -- Vaginal Repair of enterocele and apical prolapse / Victor W. Nitti and Mickey Karram -- Repair of the posterior vaginal compartment / Nirit Rosenblum and Victor W. Nitti -- Repair of pelvic organ prolapse utilizing synthetic mesh kits / Janelle Evans and Mickey Karram -- Obliterative procedures for the correction of pelvic organ prolapse / Benjamin M. Brucker, Denise Chow and Victor W. Nitti -- Urethral diverticulectomy / Victor W. Nitti -- Benign vaginal wall masses and paraurethral lesions / Sagar R. Shah and Victor W. Nitti -- Female urethral reconstruction / Victor W. Nitti and Nirit Rosenblum -- Treatment of obstruction following stress incontinence surgery / Sagar R. Shah and Victor W. Nitti -- Vaginal repair of urethrovaginal and vesicovaginal fistulae / Nirit Rosenblum and Victor W. Nitti -- Avoiding and managing vaginal surgery complications-a series of case discussions / Mickey Karram.
- 1. Introduction -- 2. Discovery and validation of biomarkers based on computational models of normal and pathological hippocampal rhythms -- 3. DCM conductance based models and clinical applications -- 4. Computational models of closed-loop deep brain stimulation -- 5. A multiscale "working brain" model -- 6. How to render neural fields more realistic -- 7. Multilevel computational modelling in epilepsy: classical studies and recent advances -- 8. Computational modeling of neuronal dysfunction at molecular level validates the role of single neurons in circuit functions in cerebellum granular layer -- 9. Modelling cortical and thalamocortical synaptic loss and compensation mechanism in Alzheimer's disease -- 10. Toward networks from spikes -- 11. Epileptogenic networks: applying network analysis techniques to human seizure activity -- Index.
- Validating pharmaceutical systems good computer practice in life science manufacturing 2005CRCnetBASE
- Valuation and conservation of biodiversity interdisciplinary perspectives on the Convention on Biological Diversity 2005Springer
- Valuation in life sciences a practical guide 2007Springer
- Value of escharotics: medicines which will destroy any living or fungus growth in the treatment of cancer, lupus, sarcoma and other forms of malignancyPrint Material
- Print Material
- Valuing water, valuing livelihoods guidance on social cost-benefit analysis of drinking-water interventions, with special reference to small community water supplies 2011WHO"This publication addresses the broader issues of social cost-benefit analysis performed on options to invest in drinking-water supplies, with a focus on small community suppliers"--Back cover.
- Valvular heart disease in clinical practice 2009SpringerThe Mitral Valve Disease / Michael Henein and John Pepper -- Aortic Valve Disease / Michael Henein and Joseph Maalouf -- Right Heart Valve Disease / Michael Henein -- Pulmonary Valve Disease / Michael Henein and Wei Li -- Stress Echo in Valvular Heart Disease / Eugenio Picano -- Valve Substitutes / John Chambers -- Native and Prosthetic Valve Endocarditis / Maurizio Galderisim and Sergio Mondillo.
- Epidemiology of Valvular Heart Disease -- Three-Dimensional Anatomy of the Aortic and Mitral Valves -- Cellular and Molecular Basis of Calcific Aortic Valve Disease -- Clinical and Genetic Risk Factors for Calcific Valve Disease -- Left Ventricular Adaptation to Pressure and/or Volume Overload -- Echocardiographic Evaluation of Valvular Heart Disease -- Evaluation of Valvular Heart Disease by Cardiac Catheterization and Angiocardiography -- Evaluation of Valvular Heart Disease by Cardiac Magnetic Resonance and Computed Tomography -- Basic Principles of Medical Therapy in the Patient with Valvular Heart Disease -- Risk Assessment for Valvular Heart Disease -- Aortic Stenosis -- Aortic Regurgitation -- The Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Associated Aortic Disease -- Surgical Approach to Diseases of the Aortic Valve and the Aortic Root -- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation -- Imaging Guidance of Transcatheter Valve Procedures -- Rheumatic Mitral Valve Disease -- Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease -- Secondary Mitral Regurgitation -- Mitral Regurgitation : Timing of Surgery -- Mitral Valve Repair and Replacement -- Mitral Valve Repair and Replacement -- Intraoperative Echocardiography for Mitral Valve Surgery -- Diseases of the Tricuspid and Pulmonic Valves -- Infective Endocarditis -- Prosthetic Heart Valves -- Valvular Heart Disease in Pregnancy -- Appendix 1 ACC/AHA Guidelines Classification and Levels of Evidence -- Appendix 2 ESC Guidelines Classification and Levels of Evidence.
- Vander's Renal physiology. 8th ed. 2013AccessMedicineRenal functions, basic processes and anatomy -- Renal blood flow and glomerular filtration -- Clearance -- Basic transport mechanisms -- Renal handling of organic substances -- Basic renal processes for sodium, chloride, and water -- Regulation of sodium and water excretion -- Regulation of potassium balance -- Regulation of acid-base balance -- Regulation of calcium, magnesium and phosphate.
- Variation 2005ScienceDirectVariation and variability : central concepts in biology / Benedikt Hallgrímsson and Brian K. Hall -- Variation from Darwin to the modern synthesis / Peter J. Bowler -- The statistics of variation / Leigh Van Valen -- Landmark morphometrics and the analysis of variation / Joan T. Richtsmeier, Subhash R. Lele, and Theodore M. Cole III -- Variation in ontogeny / Donna Carlson Jones and Rebecca Z. German -- Constraints on variation from genotype through phenotype to fitness / Lauren Ancel Meyers -- Developmental origins of variation / Ellen Larsen -- Canalization, cryptic variation, and developmental buffering : a critical examination and analytical perspective / Ian Dworkin -- Mutation and phenotypic variation : where is the connection? : capacitators, stressors, phenotypic variability, and evolutionary change / Ary A. Hoffmann and John A. McKenzie -- Within individual variation : developmental noise versus developmental stability / Katherine E. Willmore and Benedikt Hallgrímsson -- Developmental constraints, modules, and evolvability / Christian Peter Klingenberg -- Developmental regulation of variability / Miriam Leah Zelditch -- Role of stress in evolution : from individual adaptability to evolutionary adaptation / Alexander V. Badyaev -- Environmentally contingent variation : phenotypic plasticity and norms of reaction / Sonia E. Sultan and Stephen C. Stearns -- Variation and life-history evolution / Derek A. Roff -- Antisymmetry / A. Richard Palmer -- Variation in structure and its relationship to function : correlation, explanation, and extrapolation / Anthony P. Russell and Aaron M. Bauer -- A universal generative tendency toward increased organismal complexity / Daniel W. McShea -- Variation and versatility in macroevolution / V. Louise Roth -- Variation and developmental biology : prospects for the future / David M. Parichy -- Phenogenetics : genotypes, phenotypes, and variation / Samuel Sholtis and Kenneth M. Weiss -- The study of phenotypic variability : an emerging research agenda for understanding the developmental-genetic architecture underlying phenotypic variation / Benedikt Halgrímsson, Jevon James Yardley Brown, and Brian K. Hall.
- "Variation in Health Care Spending investigates geographic variation in health care spending and quality for Medicare beneficiaries as well as other populations, and analyzes Medicare payment policies that could encourage high-value care. This report concludes that regional differences in Medicare and commercial health care spending and use are real and persist over time. Furthermore, there is much variation within geographic areas, no matter how broadly or narrowly these areas are defined. The report recommends against adoption of a geographically based value index for Medicare payments, because the majority of health care decisions are made at the provider or health care organization level, not by geographic units. Rather, to promote high value services from all providers, Medicare and Medicaid Services should continue to test payment reforms that offer incentives to providers to share clinical data, coordinate patient care, and assume some financial risk for the care of their patients."--Publisher's description.
- Variceal hemorrhage 2014Springer
- Varicella-zoster virus 2010SpringerThe Varicella-zoster virus genome -- VZV molecular epidemiology -- Roles of cellular transcription factors in VZV replication -- Effects of Varicella-zoster virus on cell cycle regulatory pathways -- Varicella-zoster virus open reading frame 66 protein kinase and its relationship to alphaherpesvirus US3 kinases -- VZV ORF 47 serine protein kinase and its viral substrates -- Overview of Varicella-zoster virus glycoproteins gC, gH and gL -- Analysis of the function of glycoproteins E and I and their promoters during VZV replication in virto and in skin and T cell xenografts in the SCID mouse model of VZV pathogenesis -- Varicella-zoster virus glycoprotein M -- Varicella zoster virus immune evasion strategies -- VZV Infection of keratinocytes: production of cell-free infectious virions in vivo -- Varicella-zoster virus T cell tropism and the pathogenesis of skin infection -- Experimental models to study varicella zoster virus infection of neurons -- Molecular characterization of Varicella zoster virus (VZV) in latently infected human ganglia: physical state and abundance of VZV DNA, quantitation of viral transcripts and detection of VZV-specific proteins -- Neurological disease produced by Varicella zoster virus reactivation without rash -- Varicella-zoster virus neurotropism in SCID mouse-human DRG xenografts -- Rodent models of Varicella-zoster virus neurotropism -- Simian Varicella virus: molecular virology -- Simian Varicella virus pathogenesis -- Varicella-zoster virus vaccine : molecular genetics -- VZV T-cell-mediated immunity -- Perspectives on vaccines against Varicella-zoster virus infections.
- Varicella-zoster virus epithelial keratitis in herpes zoster ophthalmicus in vivo morphology in the human cornea 2011SpringerHerpes zoster ophthalmicus (HZO) is a common disease in the elderly and the immunosuppressed, with potentially devastating sequelae. Diagnosis of HZO is clinical but almost all its manifestations are non-specific and often indistinguishable from those due to other causes in general and herpes simplex virus in particular. The exception is varicella-zoster virus epithelial keratitis, which is frequently the only indicator of the true nature of the disease. This book is unique in presenting high-magnification images, obtained by non-contact in vivo photomicrography, that capture the distinctive features of varicella-zoster virus epithelial keratitis in HZO. Both the morphology and the dynamics of the corneal epithelial lesions are splendidly documented, including in patients with HZO sine herpete and recurrent disease. Three rare cases of ocular surface involvement in acute HZO are included, and the final chapter offers an illuminating comparison of varicella-zoster virus epithelial keratitis in HZO and the lesions of herpes simplex virus. This book will serve as an indispensable aid in the prompt diagnosis of HZO.
- Print MaterialDevelopment of vascular access surgery -- Patient assessment and planning for vascular access surgery -- Anesthesia for vascular access surgery -- Surgical anatomy for hemodialysis access -- Physiology of the arteriovenous fistula -- Thrombophilia as a cause of recurrent vascular access thrombosis in hemodialysis patients -- Biologic properties of venous access devices -- Biologic response to prosthetic dialysis grafts -- Strategies to reduce intimal hyperplasia in dialysis access grafts -- Epidemiology and pathophysiology of chronic renal failure and guidelines for initiation of hemodialysis -- Autologous arteriovenous fistulas: direct radiocephalic anastomosis for hemodialysis access -- Autogenous vein for fistulas and interposition grafts -- Basili vein transposition: a modern autogenous vascular access for hemodialysis -- Interposition arteriovenous grafts (bridge fistulas) for hemodialysis -- New synthetic grafts and early access -- Central venous cannulation for hemodialysis access -- Access in the neonatal and pediatric patient -- Surveillance, revision, and outcome of vascular access procedures for hemodialysis -- Endovascular management of dialysis graft stenosis -- Axillosubclavian vein thrombosis -- Complications of vascular access: thrombosis, venous hypertension, congestive heart failure, neuropathy, and aneurysm -- Dialysis access-associated ischemic steal syndrome -- Vascular access neuropathic syndrome: ischemic monomelic neuropathy -- Infection in vascular access procedures -- Assessment and intervention for arteriovenous fistula maturation -- Coordination and patient care in vascular access -- Cardiovascular consequences of rapid hemodialysis -- Peritoneal dialysis -- Socioeconomic implications of vascular access surgery -- Ultrasound in vascular access -- Reflections on four decades of experience in vascular access surgery -- Organizing hemodialysis access: the kaiser permanente southern California experience -- Should the KDOQI guidelines for first time dialysis access apply to all patients? -- Ten mistakes to avoid in dialysis access surgery -- Placement of indwelling venous access systems -- Vascular access for trauma, emergency surgery, and critical care -- Complications of percutaneous vascular access procedures and their management.
- Print Material
- A history of vascular surgery -- Embryology of the vascular system -- Anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology of the vascular wall -- Anatomy and surgical exposure of the vascular system -- Hemostasis and thrombosis -- Atherosclerosis: pathology, pathogenesis, and medical management -- Nonatherosclerotic vascular disease -- Vascular malformations -- Vasculogenic erectile dysfunction -- Primary arterial infections and antibiotic prophylaxis -- Influence of diabetes mellitus on vascular disease and its complications -- Medical management of vascular disease including pharmacology of drugs used in vascular disease management -- Hemodynamics for the vascular surgeon -- The noninvasive vascular laboratory -- Principles of imaging in vascular disease -- Vascular grafts: characteristics and rational selection -- Arterial access; guidewires, catheters, and sheaths; and balloon angioplasty catheters and stents -- Extracranial cerebrovascular disease: the carotid artery -- Surgical reconstruction of the supra-aortic trunks and vertebral arteries -- Endovascular repair of extracranial cerebrovascular lesions -- Surgical management of aortoiliac occlusive disease -- Angioplasty and stenting for aortoiliac disease: technique and results -- Diagnosis and surgical management of the visceral ischemic syndromes -- Management of renovascular disease -- Endovascular treatment of renovascular disease -- Surgical management of femoral, popliteal, and tibial arterial occlusive disease -- Endoscopic harvesting of the saphenous vein -- Infrainguinal endovascular reconstruction: technique and results -- Endovascular therapy for infrapopliteal arterial occlusive disease -- Thoracic and lumbar sympathectomy: indications, technique, and results -- Thoracic outlet syndrome and vascular disease of the upper extremity -- Natural history and nonoperative treatment of chronic lower extremity ischemia -- Thrombolysis for arterial and graft occlusions: technique and results -- Descending thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms: general principles and open surgical repair -- Endovascular repair of thoracic aortic aneurysm -- Combined endovascular and surgical (hybrid) approach to aortic arch and thoracoabdominal aortic pathology -- Branched and fenestrated grafts for endovascular thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair -- Acute and chronic aortic dissection: medical management, surgical management, endovascular management, and results -- Aneurysms of the aorta and illac arteries -- Endovascular repair of juxtarenal (chimney), infrarenal, and illac artery aneurysms -- Open surgical and endovascular management of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm -- Laparoscopic aortic surgery for aneurysm and occlusive disease: technique and results -- Splanchnic and renal artery aneurysms -- Aneurysms of the peripheral arteries -- Vascular trauma -- Endovascular approach to vascular trauma -- Venous thromboembolic disease -- Thrombolysis for deep venous thrombosis and pulumonary embolism -- Surgical management of chronic venous obstruction -- Endovascular repair of chronic venous obstruction -- Etiology and management of chronic venous insufficiency: surgery, endovenous ablation, and sclerotherapy -- Portal hypertension -- Lymphedema -- Hemodialysis and vascular access -- Neointimal hyperplasia -- Prosthetic graft infection -- Noninfection complications in vascular surgery -- Management of complications after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair -- The diabetic foot -- The wound care center and limb salvage -- Spine exposure: operative techniques for the vascular surgeon -- Carotid sinus stimulation: background, technique, and future directions -- Building an outpatient intervention suite.
- Vascular and endovascular surgery. 5th ed. 2014ClinicalKeyEpidemiology and risk factor management of peripheral arterial disease / Richard Donnelly and Janet T. Powell -- Assessment of chronic lower limb ischaemia / John Bottomley and Henrik Sillesen -- Medical treatment of chronic lower limb ischaemia / Cliff Shearman -- Intervention for chronic lower limb ischaemia / Anthony Nicholson and Julian Scott -- The diabetic foot / Kelly Cheer and Edward B. Jude -- Amputation, rehabilitation, and prosthetic developments / Ramesh Munjal and Gillian Atkinson -- Revision vascular surgery / Jan Brunkwall and Michael Gawenda -- Management of acute lower limb ischaemia / Robert J. Hinchliffe and Johannes Lammer -- Vascular trauma / Jacobus van Marle and Dirk A. le Roux -- Extracranial cerebrovascular disease / A. Ross Naylor and Sumaira MacDonald -- Vascular disorders of the upper limb / Jean-Baptiste Ricco and Fabrice Schneider -- Primary and secondary vasospastic disorders (Raynaud's phenomenon) and vasculitis / Jill J.F. Belch and Matthew A. Lambert -- Peripheral and abdominal aortic aneurysms / Michael Wyatt and John Rose -- Thoracic and thoraco-abdominal aortic disease / Ian Nordon, Rob Morgan, and Matt Thompson -- Renal and intestinal vascular disease / Trevor Cleveland ... [et al.] -- Central venous and dialysis access / Peter W.G. Brown and David C. Mitchell -- Varicose veins / Manj Gohel and Alun Davies -- Chronic leg swelling / Timothy A. Lees and Hazel Trender -- The acutely swollen leg / Cees H.A. Wittens and Rob H.W. Strijkers -- Vascular anomalies / James E. Jackson
- Vascular and interventional imaging case review. 2nd ed. 2010ClinicalKeyVascular and Interventional Imaging in the Case Review series covers the latest minimally invasive techniques that have replaced major operations. Jennifer Gould, MD, Nael Saad, and Suresh Vedantham, MD present the details of the detection of blockages and abnormalities in veins and arteries, removal of common bile duct stones, postoperative abscess drainage, biopsies, delivery of drugs to specific sites, and more. As a title in the Case Review series, this book contains approximately 200 cases--organized by difficulty--and 400 images--20% new, with questions and answers, diagnoses, commentary, references, and cross-references to Vascular and Interventional Radiology: The Requisites. You₂ll be able to understand the requirements of the exam and sharpen your ability to interpret cases. This reference eases the challenge of keeping pace and developing procedure-related judgment in this very clinical subspecialty of radiology. Presents material in a case review format with questions and answers to challenge your understanding in an interactive manner ideal for board review. Includes approximately 200 cases and 400 images, along with questions and answers, diagnoses, additional commentary, and references to fully prepare you for the exam. Covers clinical evaluation and procedure to highlight the importance of those aspects of interventional radiology. Provides cross-references to Vascular and Interventional Radiology--the companion volume in The Requisites series--so you can pursue more in-depth information on specific topics. Organizes the cases according to difficulty to make it easy for you to find and review what you find most challenging.
- Print MaterialPatient evaluation and care -- Standard angiographic and interventional techniques -- Pathogenesis of vascular diseases -- Thoracic aorta -- Abdominal aorta -- Pelvic and lower extremity arteries -- Upper extremity arteries -- Renal arteries and veins -- Mesenteric arteries -- Hepatic, splenic, and portal vascular systems -- Endocrine, exocrine, and reproductive systems -- Pulmonary and bronchial arteries -- Lower extremity veins -- Inferior vena cava -- Upper extremity veins and superior vena cava -- Vascular access placement and foreign body retrieval -- Hemodialysis access -- Lymphatic system -- Percutaneous biopsy -- Transcatheter fluid drainage -- Gastrointestinal interventions -- Biliary system -- Urologic and genital systems.
- Vascular and interventional radiology. Second edition [2nd ed.] 2014ClinicalKeyVascular Pathology -- Fundamentals of Angiography -- Noninvasive Vascular Imaging -- Vascular Interventions -- Carotid and Vertebral Arteries -- Upper Extremity Arteries -- Upper Extremity, Neck, and Central Thoracic Veins -- Pulmonary Circulation -- Thoracic Aorta -- Abdominal Aorta and Pelvic Arteries -- Visceral Arteries -- Renal Arteries -- Inferior Vena Cava and Tributaries -- Portal and Hepatic Veins -- Lower-Extremity Arteries -- Lower-Extremity Veins -- Image-Guided Percutaneous Biopsy -- Percutaneous Abscess and Fluid Drainage -- Gastrointestinal Tract Intervention -- Biliary Intervention -- Gallbladder Intervention -- Percutaneous Genitourinary Intervention -- Image-Guided Breast Intervention -- Musculoskeletal Intervention -- Image-Guided Tumor Ablation: Basic Principles -- Image-Guided Ablation of Renal Tumors -- Image-Guided Ablation as a Treatment Option for Thoracic Malignancies -- Image-Guided Ablation of Liver Tumors.
- Vascular biology protocols 2007Springer ProtocolsRat carotid artery balloon injury model / David A. Tulis -- Histological and morphometric analyses for rat carotid balloon injury model / David A. Tulis -- Plaque rupture model in mice / Takeshi Sasaki, Kae Nakamura and Masafumi Kuzuya -- Immunostaining of mouse atherosclerotic lesions / Hong Lu, Debra L. Rateri and Alan Daugherty -- Surgical animal model of ventricular hypertrophy / Giuseppe Marano and Alberto U. Ferrari -- Animal models of hypertension / Brett M. Mitchell, Thomas Wallerath and Ulrich Förstermann -- Rat models of cardiac insulin resistance / Sanjoy Ghosh, Brian Rodrigues and Jun Ren -- The Isolated, perfused pseudo-working heart model / Gary J. Grover and Rajni Singh -- Altering and analyzing glucose metabolism in perfused hearts of transgenic mice / Rajakumar V. Donthi and Paul N. Epstein -- Methods in the evaluation of cardiovascular renin angiotensin aldosterone activation and oxidative stress / Camila Manrique -- Detection and quantification of apoptosis in the vasculature / Wendy A. Boivin and David J. Granville -- Endothelial progenitor cell and mesenchymal stem cell isolation, characterization, viral transduction / Keith R. Brunt, Sean R. R. Hall, Christopher A. Ward, and Luis G. Melo -- Assessment of endothelial damage/dysfunction: a focus on circulating endothelial cells / Christopher J. boos, Andrew D. Blann, and Gregory Y. H. Lip -- Evaluation of endothelial function by in vivo microscopy / Rosario Scalia -- Hapotaxis of endothelial cell migration under flow / Steve Hsu, Rahul Thakar, and Song Li -- Isolation, culture, and functional analysis of adult mouse cardiomyocytes / Ronglih Liao and Mohit Jain -- Mechanical measurement of contractile function of isolated ventricular myocytes / Loren E. Wold and Jun Ren -- Studying ischemia and reperfusion in isolated neonatal rat ventricular myocytes using coverslip hypoxia / Kelly R. Pitts and Christopher F. Toombs -- Isolation and functional studies of rat aortic smooth muscle cells / Nair Sreejayan and Xiaoping Yang -- Detection of reactive oxygen species and nitric oxide in vascular cells and tissues / Hua Cai, Sergey Dikalow, Kathy K. Griendling, and David G. Harrison -- Assessment of protein glycoxidation in ventricular tissues / Shi-Yan Li and Jun Ren -- Assessment of PI-3 kinase and Akt in ischemic heart diseases in diabetes / Takashi Matsui and Amy J. Davidoff -- Two-dimensional gel electrophoresis in platelet proteomics research / Ángel García -- Stem cell therapy in the heart and vasculature / Loren E. Wold, Wangde Dai, Joan S. Dow, and Robert A. Kloner.
- Vascular CT angiography manual 2011SpringerCT basics -- Concepts in radiation -- Technical aspects of vascular CT angiography -- Carotid and upper extremity CT angiography -- Thoracic aortic CT angiography -- Abdominal aortic CT angiography -- Peripheral arterial CT angiography.
- The aging population and the importance of vascular dementia / Kelly L. Lange and Robert H. Paul -- Clinical forms of vascular dementia / Gustavo C. Román -- Neuropathological substrates of vascular ischemic dementia / Kurt A. Jellinger -- Diagnosis of vascular dementia : conceptual challenges / José G. Merino and Vladimir Hachinski -- Cerebral hemodynamics in the elderly / Jorge M. Serrador and Lewis A. Lipsitz -- The cadasil syndrome and other genetic causes of stroke and vascular dementia / Stephen Salloway and Sophie Desbiens -- Estrogen, the cerebrovascular system, and dementia / Sharon X.C. Yang and George A. Kuchel -- Hypertension and cerebrovascular disease : effects of hypertension on young and middle-aged rhesus monkeys / Mark B. Moss and Elizabeth M. Jonak -- The cognitive profile of vascular dementia / Angela Lee Jefferson ... [et al.] -- Progression of cognitive impairments associated with cerebrovascular disease / Sally Stephens ... [et al.] -- Neuropsychiatric correlates of vascular injury : vascular dementia and related neurobehavioral syndromes / Anand Kumar, Helen Lavretsky, and Ebrahim Haroon -- Functional impairment in vascular dementia / Patricia A. Boyle and Deborah Cahn-Weiner -- Functional brain imaging of cerebrovascular disease / Ronald Cohen ... [et al.] -- Contributions of subcortical lacunar infarcts to cognitive impairment in older persons / Dan Mungas -- White matter hyperintensities and cognition / David J. Moser, Jason E. Kanz, and Kelly Davis Garrett -- Poststroke dementia : the role of strategic infarcts / Anelyssa D'Abreu and Brian R. Ott -- Understanding incidence and prevalence rates in mixed dementia / John Gunstad and Jeffery Browndyke -- Vascular basement membrane abnormalities and alzheimer's disease / Edward G. Stopa, Brian D. Zipser, and John E. Donahue -- Amyloid beta and the cerebral vasculature / Paula Grammas -- Cerebrovascular disease and the expression of Alzheimer's disease / Margaret M. Esiri and Zsuzsanna Nagy -- The neuropsychological differentiation between Alzheimer's disease and subcortical vascular dementia / David J. Libon ... [et al.] -- Pharmacological treatment of vascular dementia / Timo Erkinjuntti ... [et al.] -- Understanding and managing caregiver burden in cerebrovascular disease / Geoffrey Tremont, Jennifer Duncan Davis, and Mary Beth Spitznagel -- Quality of life in patients with vascular dementia / Rebecca E. Ready and Brian R. Ott -- Approaches to neuroprotection and recovery enhancement after acute stroke / Marc Fisher and Magdy Selim.
- Print Material
- Vascular diagnosis with ultrasound clinical reference with case studies. 2nd rev. ed. 2006Thieme Bookv. 1. Cerebral and peripheral vessels.
- Part 1. Pre-clinical development -- The Discovery and Characterisation of Tumour Endothelial Markers / Dario Neri and Roy Bicknell -- The Use of Animal Models in the Assessment of Tumour Vascular Disrupting Agents (VDAs) / R. Barbara Pedley and Gillian M. Tozer -- Combination Therapy with Chemotherapy and VDAs / Giulia Taraboletti, Katiuscia Bonezzi and Raffaella Giavazzi -- Lessons from Animal Imaging in Preclinical Models / Lesley D. McPhail and Simon P. Robinson -- Combining Antiangiogenic Drugs with Vascular Disrupting Agents Rationale and Mechanisms of Action / Yuval Shaked, Paul Nathan, Laura G. M. Daenen and Robert S. Kerbel -- Development of Vascular Disrupting Agents / Graeme J. Dougherty and David J. Chaplin -- Part 2. Imaging in the development of vascular disruptive agents -- MRI to Assess Vascular Disruptive Agents / Martin Zweifel and Anwar R. Padhani -- Contrast Ultrasound in Imaging Tumor Angiogenesis / Grzegorz Korpanty and Rolf A. Brekken -- Part 3. Clinical development -- The Clinical Development of Tubulin Binding Vascular Disrupting Agents / Martin Zweifel and Gordon Rustin -- ASA404 (DMXAA): New Concepts in Tumour Vascular Targeting Therapy / Bruce C. Baguley -- Vascular Disruptive Agents in Combination with Radiotherapy / Henry C. Mandeville and Peter J. Hoskin.
- Vascular endothelium 2006SpringerII Springer
- Vascular imaging 2009Thieme Book
- Vascular imaging of the central nervous system physical principles, clinical applications, and emerging techniques 2014WileyBasic principles of UVI / Ana Maria Braz and Jaime Leal Pamplona -- Clinical applications of UVI / Ana Maria Braz, Maria Madalena Patricio, and Joana Ramalho -- Novel applications of UVI / Elsa Azevedo and Pedro Castro -- Basic principles of CTA / Margareth Kimura and Mauricio Castillo -- Intracranial CTA / Isabel R. Fragata and Joana Ramalho -- Extra-cranial CTA / Tiago Baptista and João Lopes Reis -- Basic principles of time-of- flight magnetic resonance angiography (TOF MRA) and MRV (2D and 3D) / Hugo A. Ferreira and Joana Ramalho -- Basic principles of phase contrast magnetic resonance angiography (PC MRA) and MRV / Hugo A. Ferreira and Joana Ramalho -- Time-of-flight magnetic resonance angiography (TOF MRA) and MRV : clinical applications / Mauricio Castillo, Juan Camilo Márquez and Francisco Jose Medina -- Phase contrast magnetic resonance angiography (PC MRA) and flow analysis : clinical applications / Pedro Vilela -- Contrast-enhanced MRA fundamentals and clinical applications / Khurram Javed and Mauricio Castillo -- Intracranial magnetic resonance angiography (MRA), 1.5T versus 3T : advantages and disadvantages / Sara Safder, Benjamin Huang, and Mauricio Castillo -- Time-resolved techniques / Nuno Almeida, David Monteiro, and Daniela Seixas -- DSA : basic principles / Mauricio Castillo -- DSA in clinical practice / Yueh Z. Lee and Mauricio Castillo -- Advanced and future DSA applications / Pedro Vilela -- CT perfusion, basic concepts and clinical applications / Joana Ramalho and Isabel R. Fragata -- Dynamic susceptibility contrast-enhanced MRI perfusion : basic principles and clinical applications / Francisco Medina Valencia, Mauricio Castillo, and Juan Marquez -- Arterial spin labeling (ASL) perfusion basic concepts, artifacts, and clinical applications / Debora Bertholdo and Mauricio Castillo -- Imaging of carotid plaque / Sangam Kanekar -- Basic concepts and clinical applications of intravascular imaging hideki / Sitahara, Peter J. Fitzgerald, Paul G. Yock, and Yasuhiro Honda -- Pediatric vascular imaging techniques and clinical applications / Carla R. Conceio, Rita Lopes da Silva, and Joana Ramalho.
- Vascular interventional radiology-- angioplasty, stenting, thrombolysis and thrombectomy 2007Springer
- The Aetiology of Vascular Disease / R. D. Wells -- Assessment of Peripheral Vascular Disease / Mark G. Cowling -- Equipment and Environment / Vikramaditya Prabhudesai -- Consent in Interventional Radiology / F. Coccia and J. S. Freedman -- Drugs Used in Vascular Interventional Radiology / Gordon Dent and Mark G. Cowling -- Day Case Vascular Intervention / Ounali S. Jaffer, Dean Y. Huang and Paul S. Sidhu -- Sites of Arterial Access and the Role of Closure Devices in Percutaneous Arterial Intervention / Jon K. Bell and Nicholas Chalmers -- Aortoiliac Intervention / Rafiuddin Patel and Anthony A. Nicholson -- Femoropopliteal Arterial Intervention / Stefan Müller-Hülsbeck and Heide Preuss -- Crural Arterial Interventions / J. Reekers -- Thrombolysis, Mechanical Thrombectomy and Percutaneous Aspiration Thrombectomy / Gerard S. Goh, Robert Morgan and Anna-Maria Belli -- Upper Limb Arterial Intervention / Douglas R. Turner and Steven M. Thomas -- Carotid and Vertebral Artery Intervention / Stephen D. Goode and Trevor J. Cleveland -- Management of Renal and Visceral Arterial Stenoses / M. G. Cowling -- Endovascular Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair / Andrew England, Micheal Murphy and Richard G. McWilliams -- Endovascular Repair of Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms / H. Rousseau, J. Auriol, C. Lions, V. Benouaich and E. Grunenwald, et al. -- Endovascular Repair of Iliac, Visceral and False Aneurysms / Ralph Jackson and John Rose -- Dialysis Access Management / J. R. Asquith -- Management of Venous Stenoses and Venous Thrombosis / J. R. Asquith -- Inferior Veno-Caval Filters / Matthew Matson -- Management of Venous Insufficiency / D. J. West.
- Vascular liver disease mechanisms and management 2011SpringerLiver Endothelial Cells: Hemostasis, Thrombosis, and Hepatic Vascular Diseases -- Vascular Liver Disease and the Liver Sinusoidal Endothelial Cell -- Pseudocapillarization and the Aging Liver -- Stellate Cells and the Microcirculation -- Circulatory Injury in Liver Transplantation -- Portal Hypertension: Intrahepatic Mechanisms -- Portal Hypertension: Extrahepatic Mechanisms -- Histological Diagnosis -- Radiological Diagnosis -- Hepatic Vascular Pathology After Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation: Sinusoidal Obstruction Syndrome, Focal Nodular Hyperplasia, and Nodular Regenerative Hyperplasia -- Management: Cirrhotic Portal Hypertension -- Portal Vein Thrombosis -- Budd-Chiari Syndrome -- Congenital Hepatic Vascular Malformations -- Interventional Radiology in the Treatment of Portal Hypertension -- Surgical Intervention for Portal Hypertension -- Liver Transplantation and Vascular Disorders.
- Vascular mechanics and pathology 2007Springer
- Vascular mechanisms in CNS trauma 2014SpringerVascular Mechanisms in CNS Trauma focuses on the vascular aspects of brain and spinal cord trauma.Twenty nine chapters are arranged in three sections:Molecular Mechanisms; Experimental Models and Methods; and Clinical Challenges and Opportunities. The first section addresses topics in the basic biology of brain and spinal cord trauma, ranging from the pathophysiology of cerebral endothelial cells and gliovascular interactions to the role of stem cells in neurovascular repair. The second section covers experimental methods in rodent and in large animal models of CNS injury, as well as the use of biomaterials and biomarkers in studying the mechanisms of tissue response. The third section deals with clinical issues in the monitoring and treatment of the patient with traumatic injury of the brain and spinal cord. Contributors to the book include an integrated mix of basic scientists and clinicians from diverse institutions. By presenting salient issues in CNS trauma from a vascular perspective, this book should make a unique contribution to the understanding of traumatic brain and spinal cord injury.
- Make the most of today's innovative medical therapies, advances in vascular imaging, and new drugs to improve your patients' cardiovascular health with Vascular Medicine, 2nd Edition. This comprehensive, clinically focused volume in the Braunwald's Heart Disease family provides an in-depth, state-of-the-art review of all vascular diseases, with an emphasis on pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management - giving you the evidence-based guidance you need to make appropriate therapeutic decisions on behalf of your patients. Gain a state-of-the-art understanding of the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management of arterial disease, venous disease, lymph dysfunction, connective tissue disease, vascular disease, and vascular manifestations of systemic disease. Benefit from the knowledge and experience of Dr. Mark A. Creager (editor of the Vascular Medicine society journal), Dr. Joshua A. Beckman, and Dr. Joseph Loscalzo, and benefit from their practice rationales for all of today's clinical therapies. Easily reference Braunwald's Heart Disease, 9th Edition for further information on topics of interest.
- Vascular proteomics methods and protocols 2013Springer ProtocolsProteomics is a rapidly expanding investigation platform in cardiovascular medicine. Driven by major improvements in mass spectrometry (MS) instrumentation and data analysis, the proteomics field has flourished in recent years particularly in the study of complex diseases. These recent advances are characterized by the development of quantitative MS-based methods that promoted the field from primarily identifying proteins to also providing measurements of relative changes in protein levels between different cell states. This progress is reflected in the application of proteomic techniques to vascular pathology. Vascular Proteomics: Methods and Protocols provides up-to-date methods and protocols for the analysis of arteries, cells, lipoproteins, body fluids, and metabolites, with a particular focus on MS-based methods of protein and peptide quantification. Written in the successful Methods in Molecular Biology series format, chapters include introductions to their respective topics, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible protocols, and notes on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls. Authoritative and easily accessible, Vascular Proteomics: Methods and Protocols is a representative selection of methods that can be a useful resource for experienced proteomics practitioners as well as newcomers interested in becoming acquainted with the practice of proteomic techniques for cardiovascular research.
- Vascular surgery 2012SpringerAneurysmal Disease -- Infrarenal Aortic Aneurysms: New Technologies / Laura E. White, Heitham T. Hassoun -- Treatment of Suprarenal and Juxtarenal AAA with Fenestrated Grafts and Debranching Procedures / Heather P. Park, Mark A. Farber -- Surgeon-Modified Fenestrated and Branched Stent Grafts / Nikolaos Tsilimparis, Joseph J. Ricotta II -- Pelvic Revascularization During Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair / Javairiah Fatima, Gustavo S. Oderich -- Management of Endoleak Following Endovascular Aneurysm Repair / Andrew Misselt, Jafar Golzarian -- Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair (TEVAR): New Horizons / Jonathan Bath, Jae-Sung Cho -- Thoracic Aneurysms: Endovascular Procedures for Debranching of Ascending and Isolated Arch Aneurysms / Basel Ramlawi, Michael J. Reardon, Alan B. Lumsden -- Aortic Dissection / Vikas A. Pandey, M. Hamady -- Endovascular Treatment of Traumatic Thoracic Aortic Rupture, Ruptured TAA and AAA / Manish Mehta, Philip S. K. Paty, Sean P. Roddy -- Laparoscopic and Robotic Aortic Surgery / Jean Bismuth -- Popliteal Artery Aneurysm: Endovascular Surgery / Munier Nazzal, Viviane Kazan -- Occlusive Disease -- Carotid Artery Stenting: Current Status / Rabih A. Chaer, Michel S. Makaroun -- Mesenteric Artery Occlusive Disease / Panos Kougias -- Treatment of Renal Artery Stenosis and Fibromuscular Dysplasia / Daynene Vykoukal, Javier E. Anaya-Ayala, Mark G. Davies -- Aortoiliac Occlusive Disease / George Pisimisis, Carlos F. Bechara -- Femoropopliteal Endovascular Interventions / Melhem J. Sharafuddin, Parth B. Amin, Rachael M. Nicholson -- Venous Disease -- Venous Insufficiency, Varicose Veins, and Perforators / Eric K. Peden, Nyla Ismail -- Deep Venous Thrombosis / Hossam F. El-Sayed -- Retrievable Inferior Vena Cava Filters / Joseph J. Naoum -- Miscellaneous -- First Rib Resection and Thoracoscopic Cervical Sympathectomy / Mohammad Bashir, Joss Dean Fernandez, Kalpaj Parekh.
- Print Material
- Part 1. Arterial Aneurysms -- Preoperative Cardiac Risk Assessment and Management of Elderly Men with an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm -- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm -- Endoluminal Treatment of Infra-renal Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm -- Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm -- Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm -- Endovascular Management of Thoracic Aneurysm -- Aortic Dissection -- Popliteal Artery Aneurysms -- Renal Artery Aneurysm -- Anastomotic Aneurysms -- False Aneurysm in the Groin Following Coronary Angioplasty -- Acute Thrombosis -- Part 2. Acute Ischemia -- Arterial Embolism -- Blast Injury to the Lower Limb -- Endovascular Management of Aortic Transection in a Multiinjured Patient -- Part 3. Management Of Chronic Ischaemia of the Lower Extremities -- Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Peripheral Arterial Disease -- Lower Limb Claudication Due to Iliac Artery Occlusive Disease -- Lower Limb Claudication Due to Bilateral Iliac Artery Occlusive Disease: The Case for Iliac Stenting and Femorofemoral Crossover Bypass -- Endovascular Management of Lower Limb Claudication due to Infra-Inguinal Disease -- Endovascular Management of Non-Healing Leg Ulceration -- Bypass to the Popliteal Artery -- Bypass to the Infrapopliteal Arteries for Chronic Critical Limb Ischemia -- Popliteal Artery Entrapment -- Adventitial Cystic Disease of the Popliteal Artery -- The Obturator Foramen Bypass -- Diabetic Foot -- Part 4. Surgery of the Major Branches of the Infradiaphragmatic Aorta -- Chronic Visceral Ischemia -- Acute Mesenteric Ischemia -- Renovascular Hypertension -- Midaortic Syndrome -- Part 5. Management of Popliteal Hypertension -- Management of Portal Hypertension -- Part 6. Management of Extracranial Cerebrovascular Disease -- Management of Carotid Bifurication Disease -- The Carotid Body Tumor -- Vertebrobasilar Ischemia: Embolic and Low-Flow Mechanisms -- Takayasus Arteritis Associated with Cerebrovascular Ischemia -- Part 7. Neurovascular Conditions of the Upper Extremity -- Neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and Pectoralis Minor Syndrome -- Acute Axillary/Subclavian Vein Thrombosis -- Raynauds Phenomenon -- Part 8. Prevention and Management of Complications of Arterial Surgery -- Aortofemoral Graft Infection -- Aortoenteric Fistulas -- Part 9. Vascular Access -- The Optimal Conduit for Hemodialysis Access -- Acute Ischemia of the Upper Extremity Following Graft Arteriovenous Fistula -- Part 10. Amputations -- Amputations in an Ischemic Limb -- Part 11. Vascular Malformations -- Congenital Vascular Malformation -- Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome -- Part 12. Management of Venous Disorders -- Deep Venous Thrombosis -- Endoluminal Ablation of Varicose Veins -- Ultrasound Guided Foam Sclerotherapy for the Management of Recurrent Varicose Veins -- Venous Ulcers Associated with Deep Venous Insufficiency -- Venous Ulcers Associated with Superficial Venous Insufficiency -- Iliofemoral Venous Thrombosis -- Iliofemoral Deep Venous Thrombosis During Pregnancy -- Part 13. Lymphodema -- Management of Chronic Lymphedema of the Lower Extremity -- Management of Upper Extremity Lymphoedema with Microsurgical Lympho-Venous Anastomosis (LVA).
- Print Material
- Print MaterialTumor vasculature : a target for anticancer therapies / Dietmar W. Siemann -- Abnormal microvasculature and defective microcirculatory function in solid tumors / Peter Vaupel -- The role of microvasculature in metastasis formation / Oliver Stöltzing, Lee M. Ellis -- Development of agents that selectively disrupt tumor vasculature : a historical perspective / David J. Chaplin, Sally A. Hill -- Morphologic manifestations of vascular-disrupting agents in preclinical models / Mumtaz V. Rojiani, Amyn Rojiani -- Molecular recognition of the colchicine binding site as a design paradigm for the discovery and development of vascular disrupting agents / Kevin G. Pinney -- Combined modality approaches using vascular-disrupting agents / Wenyin Shi, Michael R. Horsman, Dietmar W. Siemann -- Vascular-targeting therapies and hyperthermia / Michael R. Horsman, Rumi Murata -- Flavones and xanthenones as vascular-disrupting agents / Bronwyn G. Siim, Bruce C. Baguley -- Targeting inside-out phospholipids on tumor blood vessels in pancreatic cancer / Adam W. Beck, Rolf Brekken, Philip E. Thorpe -- Cadherin antagonists as vascular-targeting agents / Orest Blaschuk, Tracey M. Rowlands -- Alphastatin : a pluripotent inhibitor of activated endothelial cells / Carolyn A. Staton, Claire Lewis -- Cationic lipid complexes to target tumor endothelium / Uwe Michaelis, Michael Teifel -- Development of vascular-targeting cancer gene therapy / Graeme J. Dougherty, Peter D. Davis, Shona T. Dougherty -- Vascular-disrupting strategies combined with bacterial spores targeting hypoxic regions of solid tumors / G-One Ahn, J. Martin Brown -- Imaging the effects of vascular-targeting agents / Susan M. Galbraith -- Clinical progress in tumor vasculature-disrupting therapies / Andrew M. Gaya, Gordon J. S. Rustin -- Use of vascular-disrupting agents in non-oncology indications / Joseph C. Randall, Scott Young.
- In this second edition, the authors discuss the newly discovered entity of IgG4 related diseases, look in greater detail at the role of biologic treatment in ANCA associated vasculitis, and have revised the nomenclature in each chapter to reflect international consensus. The addition of illustrations as well as online video content helps the reader manage patients with these potentially devastating conditions. Vasculitis in Clinical Practice, Second Edition, is a useful and concise volume that will help physicians in training, primary care physicians and nurse practitioners in quickly and easily recognizing the key and salient points of each condition.
- Vasovagal syncope 2015SpringerThis book is exceptional in being devoted solely to vasovagal syncope (VVS), the most frequent cause of transient loss of consciousness in the general population. All aspects of VVS are covered, including epidemiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis and differential diagnosis, prognosis, therapy and implications for particular activities such as work, driving and physical activity. The context for the book is that about half of the population suffer from this type of loss of consciousness during their lifetime and then often call for general practitioner and/or emergency room assistance. While many pathophysiological aspects of VVS have been clarified, others remain elusive. The diagnosis of VVS may be easy, but it is sometimes challenging. From the therapeutic standpoint, few evidence-based therapies have been established and the large majority of treatments remain unsatisfactory. Vasovagal Syncope presents the latest evidence on all these issues and will be of value for internists, cardiologists, neurologists, emergency physicians and general practitioners.
- Vaughan & Asbury's General ophthalmologyAccessMedicine, latest ed. only.
- VBA for dummies. 5th ed. 2006books24x7, SUNet ID login required.
- Vegetables and fruits nutritional and therapeutic values 2008CRCnetBASE
- Cruciferous vegetables and biological activity of isothiocyanates and indoles -- Green leafy vegetables in cancer prevention -- The role of tomato lycopene in cancer prevention -- [Beta]-carotene and other carotenoids in cancer prevention -- The role of alliums and their sulfur and selenium constituents in cancer prevention -- Molecular mechanisms of chemoprevention with capsaicinoids for chili peppers -- Influence of dietary soy isoflavones genistein and daidzein on genotoxicity and mammary carcinogenicity in rats exposed to the model carcinogen 7, 12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA) -- The potential roles of seeds and seed bioactives on the prevention and treatment of breast and prostate cancer -- Nuts as part of a whole diet approach to cancer prevention -- Whole grains and their constituents in the prevention of colon cancer.
- Vein pattern recognition a privacy-enhancing biometric 2010CRCnetBASE
- Venomous" bites from non-venomous snakes a critical analysis of risk and management of "colubrid" snake bites 2011ScienceDirectThis book is the first significant contribution to thoroughly examine the potential hazards associated with snakes of the former family, Colubridae. This family contained >65% of living snake species (approximately 3,000 taxa) and has recently been split into multiple families. Many of these snakes produce oral secretions that contain toxins and other biologically-active substances. A large variety of these snakes figure in the pet industry, yet little documented information or formal study of their potential medical importance has been published. Therefore, although the possible medical importance of many of these species has been subjected to speculation since the mid-nineteenth century, there is a limited amount of useful descriptive information regarding the real hazard (or lack thereof) of snakes belonging to this diverse, artificial family. There is a need for "one-stop shopping" offering information regarding their possible toxicity and clinical relevance as well as recommendations for medical management of their bites. This book is the first synthesis of this information and includes evidence-based risk assessment, hazard rankings and specific recommendations regarding important species, many common in captivity. Fills a gap in the toxinological, medical and herpetological literature by providing a comprehensive review of this entire assemblage of snakes, with particular attention given to their capacity, real or rumored, to cause harm to humans A patient-centered, evidence-based approach is applied to analyzing documented case reports of bites inflicted by approximately 100 species. Clinical management of medically significant bites from non-front-fanged colubroids is methodically reviewed, and specific recommendations are provided.
- pt. 1. History and anatomy -- pt. 2. Preoperative assessment -- pt. 3. Embolization techniques -- pt. 4. Clinical outcomes -- pt. 5. Additional strategies for resection and embolization -- pt. 6. Evidence and the future.
- Venous thromboembolism prevention and treatment 2005Springer
- Print Material
- Print Material
- This book focuses on how ventricular assist devices (VADs) can help provide destination therapy for patients with terminal heart failure, one of the most serious diseases in the world today because of the tremendous number of patients, the high mortality rate, and the cost of care. One means of providing cardiological support for patients suffering from heart failure is with VADs, and more than 10,000 patients worldwide have now been implanted with these devices. Half of them already have lived more than one year, and 2,000 patients more than two years, after surgery. This improved survival means that we have reached a point where VADs can be used for destination therapy, not just for bridge-to-recovery or bridge-to-transplant. In view of the increasing number of patients with advanced-stage heart failure and the availability and longevity of transplanted hearts, VADs can solve many problems. In addition to providing information about the devices themselves, this book includes vital guidelines on long-term management and support of VAD-implanted patients' everyday lives.
- Ventricular geometry in post-myocardial infarction aneurysms implications for surgical ventricular restoration 2012SpringerAnatomy of the Myocardium in the Normal Left Ventricle -- Normal Left Ventricular Dynamics: Contraction and Relaxation Patterns -- Altered Left Ventricular Geometry in Ischemic Cardiomyopathy -- Altered Ventricular Function in Ischemic Cardiomyopathy -- Hemodynamics in Ischemic Cardiomyopathy: Left Ventricular Aneurysm Formation -- Evolution of Techniques of Surgical Ventricular Restoration: From Linear Repair to Endoventricular Linear Patch Plasty -- The Surgical Technique of Linear Endoventricular Patch Plasty -- Surgical Ventricular Restoration by the Technique of Endoventricular Linear Patch Plasty: Long-Term Clinical Results -- The Impact of Surgical Technique on Cardiac Hemodynamics Following Surgical Ventricular Restoration -- Recent Controversies: To STICH or Not to STICH? -- Role of Electrophysiological Testing, Intracardiac Defibrillator Implantation, and Concomitant Surgical Procedures in Patients with Left Ventricular Aneurysms Presenting with Ventricular Tachycardia -- Role of Mitral Valve Surgery in Surgical Ventricular Restoration for Left Ventricular Aneurysms.
- Print MaterialI.t. Röntgentechnik. -- II.t. Die seitenventrikel. -- III.t. Dritter und vierter ventrikel. --
- Print MaterialI.t. Röntgentechnik. -- II.t. Die seitenventrikel. -- III.t. Dritter und vierter ventrikel. --
- Print Material
- Print Material
- Print Material
- Vertebrate genomes 2006.KargerThe human genome and its upcoming dynamics / M. Platzer -- Primate genomes / H. Herlyn, H. Zischler -- The mouse genome / S.D.M. Brown, J.M. Hancock -- The dog genome / F. Galibert, C. André -- The feline genome / W.J. Murphy -- The bovine genome / J.E. Womack -- The sheep genome / N.E. Cockett -- Cracking the genomic piggy bank : identifying secrets of the pig genome / B.E. Mote, M.F. Rothschild -- The horse genome / B.P. Chowdhary, T. Raudsepp -- Marsupial and monotreme genomes / E. Koina, J. Fong, J.A. Marshall Graves -- The chicken genome / D.W. Burt -- Insights from Xenopus genomes / N. Pollet, A. Mazabraud -- The Tetraodon genome / H. Roest Crollius -- The medaka genome : why we need multiple fish models in vertebrate functional genomics / H. Mitani ... [et al.] -- The zebrafish genome : a review and msx gene case study / J.H. Postlethwait -- Urochordate genomes / N. Satoh ... [et al.].
- Vertebrate hair cells 2006Springer
- Vertebrate myogenesis stem cells and precursors 2015SpringerThis book addresses the differentiation control of skeletal muscle in different locations of the vertebrate body. Particular attention is paid to novel regulatory molecules and signals as well as to the heterogeneity of origin that have revealed a developmental overlap between skeletal and cardiac muscle. Different functional muscle groups are the product of the evolution of the vertebrate classes, making a phylogenetic comparison worthwhile for understanding the role of muscle stem cells and precursors in myogenesis. New insights into the hierarchy of transcription factors, particularly in the context of these different muscle groups come from detailed investigations of the spatio-temporal and regulatory relationships derived from mouse and zebrafish genetics and avian microsurgery. Importantly, epigenetic mechanisms that have surfaced recently, in particular the role of MyomiRs, are also surveyed. Regarding human patients, encouraging results have been generated that identify parallels between embryonic myogenesis and regenerating myofibers that share regulatory molecules. Interestingly, the heterogeneity in embryonic origins of skeletal muscle groups in the vertebrate including humans is paralleled by their different susceptibility to types of muscle dystrophies. The progress that has been made in the field of muscle stem cell biology, especially on satellite cells, is outlined in this book by experts in the field. The authors review recent insights of the heterogeneous nature of these satellite cells regarding their gene signatures and regeneration potential. An improved understanding of muscle stem cells seems only possible with a view to the cell environment, putting embryological and molecular findings from different vertebrate classes and stem cell approaches into context.
- Vertebrate phototransduction and the visual cycle. Part A-B pt. A-B, 2000.ScienceDirectpt. B ScienceDirect
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty 2005Thieme eNeurosurgery1. Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty: An Overview -- 2. Mechanisms of Pain Relief Following Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty -- 3. Anatomic Constraints and Concerns of Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty -- 4. Outcome Measures for Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty -- 5. Techniques for Percutaneous Vertebroplasty -- 6. Complication Avoidance and Management in Percutaneous Vertebroplasty -- 7. Patient Selection in the Treatment of Pathologic Compression Fractures -- 8. Technique and Pitfalls of Kyphoplasty -- 9. Clinical Results of Kyphoplasty in the Treatment of Osteoporotic and Osteolytic Vertebral Compression Fractures -- 10. Complication Avoidance and Management in Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty -- 11. Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty: Advantages and Disadvantages -- 12. Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty: The Radiologist's Perspective -- 13. Intraoperative Vertebroplasty for Augmentation of Pedicle Screw Instrumentation in Osteoporotic Bone -- 14. Vertebroplasty in Private Practice: Training, Credentialing, Billing, and Marketing -- 15. Emerging Techniques and Technologies for Percutaneous Vertebral Augmentation -- 16. Subsequent Compression Fractures after Vertebral Augmentation.
- Vertical scar mammaplasty 2005Springer
- Vertigo a clinical guide 2013SpringerPart I. Fundamentals -- Nomenclature and epidemiology -- Basic sciences, clinical evaluation and investigations -- Part II. Clinical conditions -- Meniere's disease -- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) -- Vestibular migraine -- Cervical vertigo/labyrinthitis/ototoxicity -- Chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) -- Central causes -- General causes -- Paediatric clinical conditions -- Part III. Rehabilitation and ethical issues -- Rehabilitation -- Vertigo in the elderly: quality of life and some ethical issues.
- Vertigo and balance disorders in children 2014SpringerMany congenitally deaf infants and children suffer vestibular failure, which produces problems with their postural control, locomotion, and gait. However it is known that these children can eventually catch up with their normal balance control status in terms of development and growth as a result of central vestibular compensation. In Vertigo and Balance Disorders in Children the author provides comprehensive and integrative information on the vestibular system. The materials presented range from the history of its study, basic anatomy and physiology of vestibular organs, and the mechanism of balance and motor function development, to clinical aspects of vestibular disorders including their evaluation and pediatric neurology. Although there have been books discussing postural responses of infants and children with vestibular disorders, this is the first to present the influence of peripheral vestibular disorders and central vestibular compensation comprehensively. This book will benefit not only practitioners in this field such as pediatric otolaryngologists, pediatricians, and neurologists treating both children and adults, but also clinical specialists such as neonatologists, physical therapists, and speech therapists, helping them to better care for patients with vestibular failure.
- Vertigo and Dizziness: Common Complaints, Second Edition revises and updates the first edition to reflect the advances that have taken place in this field. Valid epidemiological studies are now available on the prevalence and incidence of these illnesses. There have been improvements in diagnostic criteria and important new principles in the treatment of vertigo and balance disorders are outlined for use in clinical practice, supported by video examples. Practitioners are also given access to the wealth of new, scientifically interesting findings on the pathophysiology, etiology, signs and symptoms and current treatment of peripheral and central vestibular disorders as well as somatoform vertigo, summarised in concise and accessible form. Written by experts in the field, Vertigo and Dizziness: Common Complaints, Second Edition is a practical guide for physicians of different specializations who treat patients with vertigo including neurologists, ENT specialists, neuro-otologists, and neuro-ophthalmology and ophthalmology specialists as well as general medicine practitioners.
- Vertigo rehabilitation protocols 2014Springer"This book describes in detail rehabilitation protocols specific for those disorders that most frequently induce vertigo and dizziness. In particular, it highlights exercise protocols that will enable the best result to be obtained within the shortest time and with the most enduring therapeutic effect. Drawing on their personal experience, the authors describe physical exercises that will prove effective in delivering vestibular rehabilitation all over the world, regardless of the rehabilitation tools available. The protocol standardization and the reduction in instrumental rehabilitation mean that even though some individual tailoring is required, it will be possible to plan cost-effective rehabilitation within both the institutional and the private practice setting. The presented protocols cover vertigo in a wide range of conditions, including acute and chronic vestibular loss, vestibular ataxia, benign positional paroxysmal vertigo, Ménière's disease, dizziness in the elderly, whiplash-associated balance disorders, phobic postural vertigo, and autonomic vertigo. Helpful information is provided on clinical approach to vertigo and dizziness and on vestibular rehabilitation from Cawthorne-Cooksey onward. The quantification of rehabilitation outcome and the role of life-style counseling are also discussed. By documenting effective functional and therapeutic approaches and presenting guidelines for each balance disorder, Vertigo Rehabilitation Protocols will be an invaluable resource for neurologists, ENT physicians, orthopedists, and rehabilitation specialists."--Publisher's website.
- Vesicle trafficking in cancer 2013SpringerClathrin-Mediated Endocytosis / Alexander Sorkin, Manojkumar A. Puthenveedu -- Intimate and Facultative? Regulation of Clathrin-Mediated Endocytosis by the Actin Cytoskeleton / Tal Hirschhorn, Marcelo Ehrlich -- Oncogenic Signaling from the Plasma Membrane / Eli Zamir, Nachiket Vartak, Philippe I. H. Bastiaens -- Endocytosis in the Spatial Control of Polarised Cell Functions / Giorgio Scita, Andrea Disanza, Emanuela Frittoli -- Aberrant Vesicular Trafficking Contributes to Altered Polarity and Metabolism in Cancer / Shreya Mitra, Gordon B. Mills -- Endocytosis and the Regulation of Cell Signaling, Cell Adhesion, and Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition in Cancer / Crislyn D'Souza-Schorey, Guangpu Li -- Efficient Enhancement of Signaling Capacity: Signaling Endosomes / Iwona Pilecka, Marta Miaczynska -- Nuclear Functions and Trafficking of Receptor Tyrosine Kinases / Ying-Nai Wang, Jennifer L. Hsu, Mien-Chie Hung -- Efficient Enhancement of Signalling Capacity: The Ubiquitin System / Daniela Hoeller, Ivan Dikic -- Molecular Mechanism of Ubiquitin-Dependent Traffic / Elena Maspero, Hans-Peter Wollscheid, Simona Polo -- Cbl as a Master Regulator of Receptor Tyrosine Kinase Trafficking / Ke Ma, Stephen C. Kales, Marion M. Nau, Stanley Lipkowitz -- Regulation of Endocytic Trafficking and Signalling by Deubiquitylating Enzymes / Han Liu, Sylvie Urbé, Michael J. Clague -- RTKs as Models for Trafficking Regulation: c-Met/HGF Receptor-c-Met Signalling in Cancer--Location Counts / Carine Joffre, Rachel Barrow, Ludovic Ménard -- Regulation of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Signaling by Endocytosis in Normal and Malignant Cells / Sergio Anastasi, Stefano Alemà, Oreste Segatto MD -- Stress-Driven Endocytosis of Tyrosine-Phosphorylated EGFR Leads to Tumorigenesis: The Critical Role of Oxidative Stress / Tzipora Goldkorn, Simone Filosto, Samuel Chung -- Internalisation, Endosomal Trafficking and Recycling of Integrins During Cell Migration and Cancer Invasion / Elena Rainero, Peter V. E. van den Berghe, Jim C. Norman -- Antibody-Mediated Receptor Endocytosis: Harnessing the Cellular Machinery to Combat Cancer / Gabi Tarcic, Yosef Yarden.
- Vestibular migraine 2015SpringerVestibular Migraine is a concise monograph that presents the scientific basis for the diagnosis and treatment of this common yet largely unrecognized cause of dizziness. Current knowledge of the features of the disorder is described, and clear guidance is provided on the differentiation of vestibular migraine from other conditions that induce dizziness, including M©♭ni©·reℓ́ℓs disease. Symptomatic treatment and the various prophylactic options are discussed and evaluated, and advice is also included on long-term treatment and the circumstances under which treatment should be discontinued. Approximately one-third of migraineurs experience dizziness that sometimes occurs in conjunction with the headaches but often arises separately. The vestibular symptoms in this population vary in frequency, severity, and duration; they are described as spinning or lightheadedness or both and are often exacerbated by position change. Ear fullness, tinnitus, and hearing loss are frequent complaints. Vestibular migraine is diagnosed by carefully obtaining a history: there are no pathognomonic blood, urine, or imaging studies. This book will be of interest to all physicians and other health care providers who deal with dizzy patients, including internists, family physicians, neurologists, otolaryngologists, and trainees in those specialties, as well as nurse practitioners and physician assistants.
- Vestibular migraine and related syndromes 2014SpringerThis book provides a multidisciplinary approach to vestibular migraine and related syndromes in which dizziness is the most predominant feature. Starting from the neurological point of view, the pathophysiology, classification, neurophysiology, and therapy of migraine are discussed. Readers will learn how to recognize and properly treat vestibular migraine, which is often undiagnosed or misdiagnosed as Ménière's syndrome (a form of vertigo characterized by vertigo spells and hearing loss that presents comorbidity with migraine) or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (in which patients experience brief episodes of vertigo, lasting from seconds to 1 minute, when they move their heads in a certain way). The described diagnostic and therapeutic strategies include the newest, state of the art approaches. Further aspects of migraine that are considered include hyperexcitability in the brain and the triad of migraine, dizziness, and anxiety. In addition, the imaging of migraine, and of vestibular migraine in particular, is discussed and clinical records are reported. Vestibular Migraine and Related Syndromes is based on the practical and clinical experiences of an authoritative group of well-known neurologists, ENT specialists, and neuro-otologists. It provides neurologists with a complete overview of relevant clinical features, otolaryngologists with clear descriptions of clinical aspects and the pathophysiology of migraine, and radiologists with guidance on the role of imaging techniques.
- Vibrational spectroscopy for tissue analysis 2013CRCnetBASE"This book presents a variety of vibrational spectroscopic techniques, focusing on Raman and Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy and their use in noninvasive optical tissue diagnosis. It covers the most recent research in this area to create a unique database of different chemical bands and their assignments of spectral bands. The text explores the spectroscopic investigation of different tissues and samples, including breast tissue, lung tissue, and brain tissue. Based on their years of experience with various applications, the authors provide definitions of peak frequencies as well as other aspects of spectroscopy that could be helpful to a wide range of scientists"--Provided by publisher.
- Victor McKusick and the history of medical genetics 2012SpringerVictor McKusick /; Krishna R. Dronamraju --; Family Life and Victor's Meeting the Unexpected /; Anne Bishop McKusick --; The McKusick Twins: A Personal Essay /; Vincent L. McKusick --; Personal Recollections of Victor /; Krishna R. Dronamraju --; Memories of Victor McKusick /; Don M. Long --; Memories of the Moore Clinic, 1960-1965 /; David J. Weatherall --; Cytogenetics and Early Days at the Moore Clinic with Victor McKusick /; Malcolm A. Ferguson-Smith --; Travels with Victor: Marfan Syndrome and Its Cousins /; Reed E. Pyeritz --; Homage for Victor McKusick /; Nicholas Avrion Mitchison --; How Did My Association with Victor Influence Me, My Career, and My Family? /; Digamber S. Borgaonkar --; The Assimilation of Classical Genetics into Human Genetics /; Elof Axel Carlson --; Genetic Studies in Isolated Populations: Victor McKusick's Contributions to Population Genetics /; Aravinda Chakravarti --; Victor A. McKusick and Medical Genetics Among the Amish /; Clair A. Francomano --; Dr. Victor A. McKusick and the Genetics of Dwarfism /; Clair A. Francomano and David L. Rimoin --; Clinical Genomicist in the Future of Medical Practice /; Edison T. Liu --; Victor McKusick and the History of Medical Genetics /; Peter S. Harper --; The Influence of Victor A. McKusick on the Development of Training in Medical Genetics in Europe and in the World /; Giovanni Romeo.
- Print Material
- Video atlas of advanced minimally invasive surgery 2013ClinicalKeyAnatomy and Physiology -- Diagnostic Evaluations -- Preoperative Management -- Postoperative Management -- General Postoperative Complications and How to Prevent Them -- Hemorrhoids -- Anal Fissure -- Abscess and Fistula -- Complex Colorectal Fistulas -- Pilonidal Disease and Hidradenitis Suppurativa -- Pilonidal Disease and Hidradenitis Suppurativa -- Screening for Colorectal Cancer -- Polyps -- Colon Cancer Evaluation and Staging -- Colon Cancer Evaluation and Staging -- Colon Cancer Evaluation and Staging -- Colorectal Cancer : Adjuvant Therapy and Surveillance -- Treatment of Metastatic or Recurrent Colorectal Cancer -- Anal Malignancies -- Miscellaneous Neoplasms -- Inflammatory Bowel Disease -- Surgical Management of Ulcerative Colitis -- Surgery for Crohn Disease -- Diverticulitis -- Lower Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage -- Radiation, Ischemic, and Infectious Colitides -- Large and Small Bowel Obstruction -- Intestinal Stomas and Their Complications -- Incontinence and Rectocele -- Rectal Prolapse -- Pruritus Ani and Other Perianal Dermatoses -- Colon and Rectal Trauma -- Uncommon Disorders.
- Video atlas of intracranial aneurysm surgery 2013Thieme eNeurosurgerySurgical approaches to intracranial aneurysms -- Aneurysms of the anterior cerebral artery -- Paraclinoid aneurysms/carotid ophthalmic aneurysms -- Supraclinoid internal carotid artery aneurysms -- Aneurysms of the carotid bifurcation -- Aneurysms of the middle cerebral artery -- Aneurysms of the basilar artery -- PICA aneurysms -- Special considerations -- General principles of aneurysm surgery : nuances and advice for successful outcomes and complication avoidance.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more. Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.MicroMedex: Premier pharmaceutical information source containing multiple databases and drug reference tools. Of particular value is DRUGDEX Evaluations, one of the most comprehensive drug sources available.DynaMed is a clinical information resource used by physicians to answer clinical questions quickly and easily at the point of care. Topics are updated daily as new evidence becomes available. Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings.A drug information resource containing: American Hospital Formulary System (AHFS), drug formulary for Lucile Packard Children's Hospital (LPCH) and Stanford Hospital & Clinics (SHC), Lexi-Drugs (adverse reactions, dosage and administration, mechanism of action, storage, use, and administration information), Lexi-Calc, Lexi-ID, Lexi-I.V. Compatibility (King Guide), Lexi-Interact, and Lexi-PALS.Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature (CINAHL) contains coverage of nursing and allied health literature.A knowledge database that provides access to topic reviews based on over 6000 clinically relevant articles. The evidence-based content, updated regularly, provides the latest practice guidelines in 59 medical specialtiesProvides critical assessments of systematic reviews compiled from a variety of medical journals.Selects from the biomedical literature original studies and systematic reviews that are immediately clinically relevant and then summarizes these articles in an enhanced abstract with expert commentary.Multidisciplinary coverage of over 10,000 high-impact journals in the sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities, as well as international proceedings coverage for over 120,000 conferences. Includes cited reference searching, citation maps, and an analyze tool.Features systematic reviews that summarize the effects of interventions and makes a determination whether the intervention is efficacious or not. Cochrane reviews are created through a strict process of compiling and analyzing data from multiple randomized control trials to ensure comprehensiveness and reliability.Provides systematic coverage of the psychological literature from the 1800s to the present through articles, book chapters and dissertations.BMJ Clinical Evidence. A clinical information tool built around systematic reviews summarizing the current state of knowledge about prevention and treatment of clinical conditions.PIER (Physicians' Information and Education Resource) is a Web-based decision-support tool designed for rapid point-of-care delivery of up-to-date, evidence-based guidance for primary care physicians.Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) provides access to 300,000 controlled trials that have been identified the Cochrane Collaboration.Provides drug information targeted for patients.A continually updating drug monograph.The National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC): A comprehensive database of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines and related documents.MedlinePlus: A repository of health information from the National Library of Medicine. Links are from trusted sites. No advertising, no endorsement of commercial companies or productsLPCH CareNotes via MicroMedex: Patient education handouts customized by LPCH clinical staffMicromedex Lab Advisor: Evidence based laboratory test informationA drug database organized by generic name, trade name and drug class.LPCH / Stanford Hospital Formulary.A goldmine of trusted consumer health information from the world's largest medical library.A trusted source of expert advice for and about kids, providing the information necessary to help patients and parents understand their unique needs.Provides patient handouts from the American Academy of Family Physician.Access to the Stanford Health Library for patients.Lane provides access to over 5,000 eBooks many of which provide helpful background material that will prepare you to better tackle primary literature.Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.A web-based, decision support system for infectious diseases, epidemiology, microbiology and antimicrobial chemotherapy. The database, updated weekly, currently includes 337 diseases, 224 countries, 1,147 microbial taxa and 306 antibacterial (-fungal, -parasitic, -viral) agents and vaccines. Over 10,000 notes outline the status of specific infections within each country.
Large number of high quality software and database programming titles from O'Reilly. Other software titles are also available from Sams and Prentice Hall. Limited to 7 concurrent users.Vast collection of software and database programming titles from multiple publishers, including Microsoft Press.Largest provider of engineering-related eBooks; includes titles in computer science and biomedical engineering.Over 4,000 full-text e-books covering scientific and technical information from CRC Press and others. Many handbooks and single volume reference sources.Includes peer-reviewed life science and biomedical research protocols compiled from Methods in Molecular Biology, Methods in Molecular Medicine, Methods in Biotechnology, Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuromethods, the Biomethods Handbook, the Proteomics Handbook, and Springer Laboratory Manuals.Contains full text access to selected biomedical and nursing books.Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.