- Summary -- Charge to the committee -- a prominent role for health in U.S. foreign policy -- Progress in global health can be achieved now -- Urgent opportunity for action -- Restructure the U.S. global health enterprise -- Mobilize financial resources for health -- Focus U.S. government efforts on health outcomes -- Advance U.S. strengths in global health knowledge -- Support and collaborate with the WHO -- Call to action.
- The U.S. Commitment to Global Health examines ways in which the United States could contribute to advances in global health, including the following four areas of action: Generate and share knowledge to address problems endemic to poor countries, Invest in people, institutions, and capacity building in resource-poor settings, Increase both quantity and quality of U.S. financial commitments to global health, Be a respectful partner and leader.
- U.S. decennial life tables for 1989-91. Volume II, State life tables 1989-CDC, Scroll down to U.S. Decennial Life Tables for 1989 to 1991.no. 1. Alabama -- no. 2. Alaska -- no. 3. Arizona -- no. 4. Arkansas -- no. 5. California -- no. 6. Colorado -- no. 7. Connecticut -- no. 8. Delaware -- no. 9. District of Columbia -- no. 10. Florida -- no. 11. Georgia -- no. 12. Hawaii -- no. 13. Idaho -- no. 14. Illinois -- no. 15. Indiana -- no. 16. Iowa -- no. 17. Kansas -- no. 18. Kentucky -- no. 19. Louisiana -- no. 20. Maine -- no. 21. Maryland -- no. 22. Massachusetts -- no. 23. Michigan -- no. 24. Minnesota -- no. 25. Mississippi -- no. 26. Missouri -- no. 27. Montana -- no. 28. Nebraska -- no. 29. Nevada -- no. 30. New Hampshire -- no. 31. New Jersey -- no. 32. New Mexico -- no. 33. New York -- no. 34. North Carolina -- no. 35. North Dakota -- no. 36. Ohio -- no. 37. Oklahoma -- no. 38. Oregon -- no. 39. Pennsylvania -- no. 40. Rhode Island -- no. 41. South Carolina -- no. 42. South Dakota -- no. 43. Tennessee -- no. 44. Texas -- no. 46. Vermont -- no. 47. Virginia -- no. 48. Washington -- no. 49. West Virginia -- no. 50. Wisconsin-- no. 51. Wyoming.
- "The United States is among the wealthiest nations in the world, but it is far from the healthiest. Although life expectancy and survival rates in the United States have improved dramatically over the past century, Americans live shorter lives and experience more injuries and illnesses than people in other high-income countries. The U.S. health disadvantage cannot be attributed solely to the adverse health status of racial or ethnic minorities or poor people: even highly advantaged Americans are in worse health than their counterparts in other, "peer" countries. In light of the new and growing evidence about the U.S. health disadvantage, the National Institutes of Health asked the National Research Council (NRC) and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) to convene a panel of experts to study the issue. The Panel on Understanding Cross-National Health Differences Among High-Income Countries examined whether the U.S. health disadvantage exists across the life span, considered potential explanations, and assessed the larger implications of the findings. U.S. Health in International Perspective presents detailed evidence on the issue, explores the possible explanations for the shorter and less healthy lives of Americans than those of people in comparable countries, and recommends actions by both government and nongovernment agencies and organizations to address the U.S. health disadvantage"--Publisher's description.
- Ubiquitin and protein degradation. Part A-B pt. A-B, 2005.ScienceDirectpt. B ScienceDirect
- Ubiquitin system in health and disease 2009Springer
- Ubiquitin-proteasome protocols 2005Springer ProtocolsAssays of proteasome-dependent cleavage products / Stefan Tenzer and Hansjörg Schild -- Identification of components of protein complexes / Carol E. Parker ... [et al.] -- Mass spectroscometric determination of protein ubiqitination / Carol E. Parker ... [et al.] -- Reconstitution of endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation using yeast membranes and cytosol / Robert J. Lee, Ardythe A. McCracken, and Jeffrey L. Brodsky -- Reticulocyte lysate as a model system to study endoplasmic reticulum membrane protein degradation / Eric Carlson ... [et al.] -- Deubiquitinating enzyme purifucation, assay inhibitors and characterization / Nathaniel S. Russell and Keith D. Wilkinson -- Measuring ubiquitin conjugation in cells / Edward G. Mimnaugh and Leonard M. Neckers -- Assays for proteasome assembly and maturation / R. Jürgen Dohmen ... [et al.] -- N-terminal ubiquitination / Aaron Ciechanover -- Quantitating defective ribosome products / Shu-Bing Qian, Jack R. Bennink, and Jonathan W. Yewdell -- Endoplasmic reticulum-associated protein quality control and degradation: screen for ERAD mutants after ethylmethane sulfonate mutagenesis / Antje Schäfer and Dieter H. Wolf -- Endoplasmic reticulum-associated protein quality control and degradation: genome wide screen for ERAD components / Antje Schäfer and Dieter H. Wolf -- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conducatance regulator as a model substrate to study endoplasmic reticulum protein quality control in mammalian cells / J. Michael Younger ... [et al.] -- Aggresome formation / Michael J. Corboy, Philip J. Thomas, and W. Christian Wigley -- Detection of sumoylated proteins / Roland S. Hilgarth and Kevin D. Sarge -- Proteasome inhibitors in cancer therapy / Robert Z. Orlowski -- Parkinson disease: assays for the ubiquitin ligase activity of neural parkin / Michael G. Schlossmacher and Hideki Shimura. Small-molecule inhibitors of proteasome activity / Maria Gaczynska and Pawel A. Osmulski -- Purification of E1 and E1-like enzymes / Arthur L. Haas -- Assays for RING family ubiquitin ligases / Manabu Furukawa, Paul S. Andrews, and Yue Xiong -- Ubiquitin chain synthesis / Shahri Raasi and Cecile M. Pickart -- Purification of proteasomes, proteasome subcomplexes, and proteasome-associated proteins from budding yeast / David S. Leggett, Michael H. Glickman, and Daniel Finley -- Recognition and processing of misfolded proteins by PA700, the 19S regulatory complex of the 26S proteasome / Chang-Wei Liu ... [et al.] -- Cell-free assay for ubiquitin-independent proteasomal protein degradation / Chaim Kahana and Yuval Reiss --
- UHMWPE biomaterials handbook ultra high molecular weight polyethylene in total joint replacement and medical devices. 2nd ed. 2009ScienceDirect2009 KnovelA primer on UHMWPE / Steven M. Kurtz -- From ethylene gas to UHMWPE component : the process of producing orthopedic implants / Steven M. Kurtz -- Packaging and sterilization of UHMWPE / Steven M. Kurtz -- The origins of UHMWPE in total hip arthroplasty / Steven M. Kurtz -- The clinical performance of UHMWPE hip replacements / Steven M. Kurtz -- Contemporary total hip arthoplasty : hard-on-hard bearings and highly crosslinked UHMWPE / Steven M. Kurtz, Kevin Ong -- The origins and adaptations of UHMWPE for knee replacements / Steven M. Kurtz -- The clinical performance of UHMWPE in knee replacements / Steven M. Kurtz -- The clinical performance of UHMWPE in shoulder replacements / Stefan M. Gabriel -- The clinical performance of UHMWPE in elbow replacements / Judd S. Day -- Applications of UHMWPE in total ankle replacements / Allyson Ianuzzi, Chimba Mkandawire -- The clinical performance of UHMWPE in the spine / Steven M. Kurtz, Marta L. Villarraga, Allyson Ianuzzi -- Highly crosslinked and melted UHMWPE / Orhun K. Muratoglu -- Highly crosslinked and annealed UHMWPE / John H. Dumbleton, Aiguo Wang, Kate Sutton ...[et al.] -- Highly crosslinked UHMWPE doped with vitamin E / Ebru Oral, Orhun K. Muratoglu -- Vitamin-E-blended UHMWPE biomaterials / Steven M. Kurtz, Pierangiola Bracco, Luigi Costa -- Composite UHMWPE biomaterials and fibers / Steven M. Kurtz -- UHMWPE / hyluronan microcomposite biomaterials / Susan P. James, Rachel (Kurkowski) Oldinski, Min Zhang ...[et al.] -- High pressure crystallized UHMWPEs / Anuj Bellare, Steven M. Kurtz -- Compendium of highly crosslinked UHMWPEs / Steven M. Kurtz -- Mechanisms of crosslinking, oxidative degradation and stabilization of UHMWPE / Luigi Costa, Pierangiola Bracco -- In vivo of UHMWPE / Steven M. Kurtz -- Pathophysiologic reactions to UHMWPE wear particles / Marla J. Steinbeck, Ryan M. Baxter, Theresa A. Freeman -- Characterization of physical, chemical, and mechanical properties of UHMWPE / Stephen Spielgelberg -- Tribological assessment of UHMWPE in the hip / Aaron Essner MS, Aiguo Wang -- Tribological assessment of UHMWPE in the knee / Hani Haider -- Characterization of UHMWPE wear particles / Tipper JL., Richards L., Ingham E. ...[et al.] -- Clinical surveillance of UHMWPE using radiographic methods / Charles R. Bragdon -- ESR insights into macroradicals in UHMWPE / M. Shah Jahan -- Fatigue and fracture of UHMWPE / Francisco J. Medel, Jevan Furmanski -- Development and application of the notched tensile test to UHMWPE / Michael C. Sobieraj, Clare M. Rimnac -- Development and application of the small punch test to UHMWPE / Avram A. Edidin -- Nano- and microindentation testing of UHMWPE / Jeremy L. Gilbert, James D. Wernle -- MicroCT analysis of wear and damage in UHMWPE / Daniel MacDonald, Anton Bowden, Steven M. Kurtz -- Computer modeling and simulation of UHMWPE / Anton E. Bowden, Erin Oneida, Jorgen Bergström.
- Covers science and technology in all areas of industrial chemistry, containing nearly 1000 major articles with more than 16 million words, nearly 10,000 tables, 30,000 figures, and literature sources and cross-references. It also includes full text index, author index, CAS registry number index, and keyword index.
- Print Material
- Ultimate guide to choosing a medical specialty. 3rd ed. 2013AccessMedicineOnline 3rd edition inlcudes only selected chapters as of 1/10/2014.
- Ultra high field magnetic resonance imaging 2006Springer
- Ultrashort laser pulses in biology and medicine 2008SpringerUltrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography using femtosecond lasers / J. G. Fujimoto ... [et al.] -- Two-photon laser scanning microscopy / A. Nimmerjahn, P. Theer, F. Helmchen -- Femtosecond lasers in ophthalmology: surgery and imaging / J. F. Bille -- Ultrafast peptide and protein dynamics by vibrational spectroscopy / P. Hamm -- Photosynthetic light-harvesting / T. Pullerits, T. Polivka, V. Sundström -- Primary photosynthetic energy conversion in bacterial reaction centers / W. Zinth, J. Wachtveitl -- Ultrafast primary reactions in the photosystems of oxygen-evolving organisms / A. R. Holzwarth -- Primary photochemistry in the photoactive yellow protein: the prototype xanthopsin / D. S. Larsen, R. van Grondelle, K. J. Hellingwerf -- Structure based kinetics by time-resolved X-ray crystallography / M. Schmidt -- Primary reactions in retinal proteins / R. Diller -- Ultrashort laser pulses in single molecule spectroscopy / E. Houstein, P. Schwille.
- Ultrasonography in obstetrics and gynecology. 5th ed. 2008ClinicalKey
- Ultrasonography in the ICU practical applications 2015SpringerI. Basics of Ultrasound -- 1. The Machine -- 2. Frequency and probes -- 3. Common Artifacts -- 4. The Doppler Effect -- II. Thoracic Ultrasound -- 5. The Pleura -- 6. The Lung -- 7. Procedures -- 8. Cases -- III. Echocardiogram for the Intensivist -- 9. Rationale -- 10. Limited echocardiogram vs. full service echo -- 11. The Windows -- 12. The Measurements -- 13. The interpretation -- 14. Cases -- IV. Vascular Ultrasound in the Critically Ill -- 15. Deep Venous Thrombosis -- 16. Line Placement -- 17. Cases -- V. Basic Abdominal Ultrasound in the ICU -- 18. Evaluation for free fluid -- 19. Basic Renal ultrasound -- 20. Evaluation of the Gallbladder -- 21. Procedures -- 22. Cases -- VI. Soft Tissue -- 23. Facial Dehiscence -- 24. Soft tissue masses and collections -- VII. Other Issues -- 25. Training Challenges -- 26. Credentialing Process -- 27. Billing and Coding.
- Fundamental principles -- Peripheral arteries -- Peripheral veins -- Shunts -- Extracranial cerebral arteries -- Visceral and retroperitoneal vessels -- Penile and scrotal vessels.
- Ultrasound Imaging / Anna Gallotti and Fabrizio Calliada -- Transabdominal Ultrasonography of the Pancreas / Elisabetta Buscarini and Salvatore Greco -- Endoscopic Ultrasonography of the Pancreas / Elisabetta Buscarini and Stefania De Lisi -- Percutaneous Ultrasound Guided Interventional Procedures in Pancreatic Diseases / Elisabetta Buscarini and Guido Manfredi -- Intraoperative Ultrasonography of the Pancreas / Mirko D'Onofrio, Emilio Barbi, Riccardo De Robertis, Francesco Principe and Anna Gallotti, et al. -- Pancreatic Anatomy, Variants and Pseudolesions of the Pancreas / Emilio Barbi, Salvatore Sgroi, Paolo Tinazzi, Stefano Canestrini and Anna Gallotti, et al. -- Pancreatitis and Pseudocysts / Steffen Rickes and Holger Neye -- Solid Pancreatic Tumors / Christoph F. Dietrich, Michael Hocke, Anna Gallotti and Mirko D'Onofrio -- Cystic Pancreatic Tumors / Mirko D'Onofrio, Paolo Giorgio Arcidiacono and Massimo Falconi -- Rare Pancreatic Tumors / Roberto Malagò, Ugolino Alfonsi, Camilla Barbiani, Andrea Pezzato and Roberto Pozzi Mucelli -- Imaging Correlation / Marie-Pierre Vullierme and Enrico Martone -- Pancreatic Lesions: Pathologic Correlations / Paola Capelli and Alice Parisi -- Clinical and Imaging Scenarios / Anna Gallotti and Riccardo Manfredi -- Flowcharts in Pancreatic Diseases / Elisabetta Buscarini.
- This practice-oriented book, containing a wealth of high-quality ultrasound images, provides clear, concise, and complete coverage of the normal anatomy of the hand and wrist - tendons, nerves, and vascular structures - as well as the main pathologic conditions encountered in this area. The ultrasound images have been acquired with state of the art scanners and carefully labeled to facilitate recognition of each and every anatomic structure. Helpful comparison is also made with images and findings obtained using other diagnostic techniques, including in particular magnetic resonance imaging. The lucid text is complemented by practical tables summarizing key points for ease of reference. Readers will find Ultrasonography of the Upper Extremity to be a rich source of information on anatomy, examination techniques, and ultrasound appearances of one of the anatomic regions to have benefited the most from the technological revolution that has taken place in the field of ultrasonography during recent years. The book will appeal to both novice and experienced practitioners, including above all radiologists and ultrasound technicians but also rheumatologists and orthopedic surgeons.
- Print Material
- The book provides a comprehensive description of the basic ultrasound principles, normal anatomy of the lower limb muscles and classification of muscle strain injures. Ultrasound images are coupled with anatomical schemes explaining probe positioning and scanning technique for the various muscles of the thigh and leg. For each muscle, a brief explanation of normal anatomy is also provided, together with a list of tricks and tips and advice on how to perform the ultrasound scan in clinical practice. This book is an excellent practical teaching guide for beginners and a useful reference for more experienced sonographers.
- Ultrasound and carotid bifurcation atherosclerosis 2012Springer
- Ultrasound diagnostics of thyroid diseases 2010SpringerAs the basis for this book, the authors have analyzed more than 100,000 ultrasound examinations performed between 1995 and 2008 in patients with thyroid and parathyroid disease, as well as many thousands of diagnostic and therapeutic ultrasound-guided minimally invasive procedures. The opening chapters include discussion of current ultrasound techniques, pitfalls, and ultrasound examination of the thyroid in children. Detailed attention is then devoted to findings in the normal thyroid and in the presence of diffuse and focal changes.
- Ultrasound imaging in reproductive medicine advances in infertility work-up, treatment, and ART 2014SpringerPart I: Ultrasound Technique -- Ultrasound in Reproductive Medicine: Is It Safe?- Principles of 3D Ultrasound -- Two Dimensional and Three Dimensional Doppler in Reproductive Medicine -- Legal Aspects of Ultrasound Imaging in Reproductive Medicine -- Part II: Ultrasound in Infertility Workup -- The Normal Ovary -- Ovarian Reserve and Ovarian Cysts -- Ultrasound and PCOS -- The Normal Uterus -- Congenital Uterine Anomalies -- Uterine Fibroids -- Endometrial Polyps -- Intrauterine Adhesions -- Sonohysterography (SHG) in Reproductive Medicine -- Evaluation of Tubal Patency (HyCoSy, Doppler) -- Hydrosalpinx -- Virtual Hysterosalpingography: A New Diagnostic Technique for the Study of the Female Reproductive Tract -- Ultrasound in Male Infertility -- Part III: Ultrasound in Infertility Treatment -- Ultrasound in Follicle Monitoring for Ovulation Induction/IUI -- 2D Ultrasound in Follicle Monitoring for ART -- 3D Ultrasound in Follicle Monitoring for ART -- Ultrasound Guided Surgical Procedures -- Ultrasound Role in Embryo Transfers -- Ultrasound and Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome -- Pregnancy of Unknown Viability -- Ultrasound Evaluation of Ectopic Pregnancy -- Focused Ultrasound for Treatment of Fibroids.
- Ultrasound imaging-- advances and applications 2012SpringerUltrasound Imaging: Advances and Applications presents some of the recent advances in Ultrasound imaging technology covering several organs and techniques in a Biomedical Engineering (BME) perspective. The focus of the book is in the algorithms, methodologies and systems developed by multidisciplinary research teams of engineers and physicians for Computer-Aided Diagnosis (CAD) purposes. Cardiovascular and Cancer, the most common life-threatening diseases in western countries, are two of the most important topics focused in the book. However, other advanced issues are also presented such as Intravascular Ultrasound, 3D US and Ultrasound in Computer-Aided Surgery (CAS). Some chapters are direct contributions from medical research groups where Ultrasound has also received great attention in the last decade. By this, new techniques based on Ultrasound were introduced in the clinical practice for diagnosis and therapeutics, mainly in hospital facilities.
- Print MaterialUltrasound in gynecology: development and continuing evolution -- Applied physics: selecting and adjusting the equipment -- Instrumentation, modality selection, and documentation -- Conducting the gynecologic ultrasound examination -- Relevant pelvic anatomy -- Adenomyosis -- Congenital uterine anomalies -- Adnexal masses -- Menopausal dilemmas: how ultrasound has changed clinical management -- Lower urinary tract -- Early pregnancy -- Pregnancy failure -- Ectopic pregnancy -- Infertility -- Sonohysterography -- Ultrasound-guided procedures in gynecology -- Color doppler mapping in gynecology -- Transvaginal sonography and ovarian cancer -- Three-dimensional ultrasound in gynecology -- Ultrasound-enhanced bimanual examination -- Differential diagnosis of inflammatory diseases of the pelvis -- Pearls and pitfalls of transvaginal sonography.
- Ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology. 2nd ed., fully rev. 2005Thieme Bookv. 1: Obstetrics
- Ultrasound in the intensive care unit 2015SpringerUltrasound in the Intensive Care Unit explores the current state of evidence supporting use of bedside ultrasound for procedural guidance and for the critical care-focused assessment of a variety of organ systems. This text covers standard practice areas, such as ultrasound guidance for vascular access in the ICU, as well as novel, less well-known applications such as the use of ultrasound for assessment of diaphragm function in patients with respiratory failure. As current ultrasound education is often dependent on widely varying local expertise, this book serves as a standard reference in what is at present a fragmented and challenging field of study for busy clinicians. By providing a comprehensive overview of the current state of critical care ultrasonography, with content contributed by experts in the field, this text will serve as a valuable resource that will allow education in critical care ultrasound to keep pace with the rapid technological growth that has driven this vital area of critical care medicine. Ultrasound in the Intensive Care Unit is essential reading for pulmonologists, practitioners in internal, hospitalist, and critical care medicine; educators and instructors in critical care ultrasound; and medical students, residents, and critical care trainees.
- Ultrasound of fetal syndromes. 2nd ed. 2008ClinicalKeyThis book on prenatal diagnosis details the most common sonographically detectable fetal syndromes. It has an easy-to-follow approach of using lists and patterns of malformations to generate a differential diagnosis of the possible syndrome involved. The reader is then led to the more detailed description of each syndrome to determine the exact final diagnosis. The new edition incorporates 3D ultrasound throughout the book, as well as 20 syndromes not previously covered.
- Ultrasound of the gastrointestinal tract 2007Springer
- Ultrasound of the male genitalia 2015SpringerHistory of Ultrasound -- Embryology Relevant to Ultrasound Imaging of the Male Genitalia -- Physical Principles of Ultrasound of the Male Genitalia -- Scrotal Ultrasound -- Penile Ultrasound -- Urology Ultrasound Practice Accreditation -- Genital Ultrasound Protocols: Putting it all Together!.
- Ultrasound of the musculoskeletal system 2007Springer
- Ultrasound of the thyroid and parathyroid glands 2012SpringerSection I. History and Basic Concepts -- The History of Clinical Ultrasound -- Physics and Principles of Ultrasound -- Practical Concepts of Ultrasound -- Section II. Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands -- Sonography of the Normal Thyroid -- Benign Thyroid Conditions -- Malignant Thyroid Conditions -- Ultrasound Surveillance -- Parathyroid Ultrasound -- Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology -- Section III. Lymph Nodes and the Neck -- Lymph Nodes -- Benign Clinical Conditions in the Adjacent Neck -- Section IV. New Advances in Applied Ultrasound -- Thyroid Elastography -- Percutaneous Ethanol Injection for Thyroid and Parathyroid Disorders -- Contrast Enhanced Ultrasound and Ultrasound-Guided Minimally Invasive Therapy for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Focal Thyroid Lesions.
- Ultrasound of the urogenital system 2006Thieme BookNephrology -- Introduction: medical overview -- Normal kidney -- Parenchymal diseases of the kidney -- Chronic renal failure -- Renal transplantation -- Radiological intervention in the urogenital tract (including trauma and emergencies) -- Urology -- Urogenital tract: surgical overview -- Focal lesions of the kidney -- Diseases of the collecting system and ureters -- Diseases of the bladder and prostate -- Diseases of the testis and epididymis -- Diseases of the penis with functional evaluation -- Oncological management of tumors of the urogenital tract -- Urogenital tract in the child -- Ultrasound of the pediatric urogenital tract -- Other imaging modalities in the urogenital tract -- Non-ultrasound imaging of the urogenital tract -- New developments: ultrasound contrast agents -- Native kidney -- Transplant kidney.
- Print Material
- Ultrasound-- the requisites. Third edition [3rd ed.]. 2016ClinicalKeyThis best-selling volume in The Requisites Series provides a comprehensive introduction to timely ultrasound concepts, ensuring quick access to all the essential tools for the effective practice of ultrasonography. Comprehensive yet concise, Ultrasound covers everything from basic principles to advanced state-of-the-art techniques. This title perfectly fulfills the career-long learning, maintenance of competence, reference, and review needs of residents, fellows, and practicing physicians. Covers the spectrum of ultrasound use for general, vascular, obstetric, and gynecologic imaging.
- Ultrasound-guided liver surgery an atlas 2014SpringerUltrasound guidance of liver surgery is a very sophisticated approach that permits the performance of otherwise unfeasible operations, discloses the true extent of tumors, increases the indications for hepatectomy, and renders surgery safer. Despite this, it has remained relatively neglected in the literature over the past two decades, during which time much progress has been achieved. This is the first atlas on the subject, and it is comprehensive in scope. The state of the art in the use of ultrasound for resection guidance is carefully documented, and new techniques for exploration of the biliary tract and facilitation of transplant surgery are presented. Further important topics include the role of ultrasound in laparoscopic approaches, the use of contrast agents for diagnosis and staging, and developments in the planning of surgical strategy. The editor is a leading authority whose group has been responsible for a variety of advances in the field. He has brought together other experts whose aim throughout is to provide clear information and guidance on the optimal use of ultrasound when performing liver surgery. This atlas is intended especially for hepatobiliary surgeons but will also be of considerable value for general surgeons.
- pt. 1. General Aspects of US-guided Musculoskeletal Procedures -- General Aspects of US-guided Musculoskeletal Procedures / Armando Conchiglia, Lorenzo Maria Gregori, Luigi Zugaro and Carlo Masciocchi -- pt. I. The Shoulder -- The Shoulder: Focused US Anatomy and Examination Technique / Enzo Silvestri and Davide Orlandi -- Subacromial-Subdeltoid Bursa Injections / Enzo Silvestri -- Treament of Calcific Tendinitis of the Rotator Cuff / Giovanni Serafini and Luca Maria Sconfienza -- Calcific Enthesopathy Dry-Needling / Francesca Lacelli -- Hyaluronic Supplementation of the Subacromial Space / Giovanni Serafini -- Intra-articular Injections / Francesca Lacelli -- Long Head of the Biceps Brachii Tendon Injection / Luca Maria Sconfienza -- Acromioclavicular Joint Injection / Enzo Silvestri -- pt. II. The Elbow -- The Elbow: Focused US Anatomy and Examination Technique / Enzo Silvestri and Emanuele Fabbro -- Treatment of Lateral Epicondylitis / Giovanni Serafini -- Treatment of Medial Epicondylitis / Enzo Silvestri -- Olecranon Bursa Drainage / Francesca Lacelli -- Intra-articular Injections / Luca Maria Sconfienza -- pt. III. The Wrist -- The Wrist: Focused US Anatomy and Examination Technique / Enzo Silvestri and Giulio Ferrero -- Treament of De Quervain's Disease and Other Forms of Tenosynovitis / Giovanni Serafini -- Articular Ganglia Drainage / Leonardo Callegari -- Trapeziometacarpal Joint Injection / Francesca Lacelli -- Radiocarpal Joint Injections / Luca Maria Sconfienza -- pt. IV. The Hand -- The Hand: Focused US Anatomy and Examination Technique -- Francesca Lacelli and Chiara Martini -- Treatment of Trigger Finger / Leonardo Callegari -- Intra-articular Injections: Metacarpophalangeal and Interphalangeal Joints / Luca Maria Sconfienza.
- Ultrasound-guided procedures 2010Thieme BookThis handbook is a practical reference for the full range of common and complex ultrasound-guided procedures frequently performed in clinical practice. Divided into four sections, this book provides in-depth guidelines from renowned specialists for how to perform ultrasound-guided biopsies, how to utilize ultrasound to obtain access for interventional procedures and perform drainage, and how to perform ultrasound-guided percutaneous therapy and sonohysterography. Detailed coverage of such key procedures as thyroid biopsy, breast biopsy, sonohysterography, superficial lymph node biopsy, musculoskeletal interventions, and more. Concise bullet-point format that aids rapid reading and review of indications, contraindications, equipment, technique and post-procedural evaluation and possible complications and their management. More than 600 high-quality images and illustrations that clarify complex concepts.
- Ultrasound. Rev. translation of 3rd German ed. 2007Thieme BookBasic physical and technical principles -- The ultrasound examination -- Ultrasound documentation and reporting -- Function studies -- Interventional ultrasound -- Principal signs and symptoms -- Arteries and veins -- Cervical vessels -- Liver -- Kidney and adrenal gland -- Pancreas -- Spleen -- Bile ducts -- Gallbladder -- Gastrointestinal tract -- Urogenital tract -- Thorax -- Thyroid gland -- Major salivary glands -- Postoperative ultrasound -- Search for occult tumors.
- Ultrastructure of mast cells and basophils 2005Karger
- Print Material-- v. 2. Zur Psychologie des Weiblichen.
- UML for developing knowledge management systems 2006CRCnetBASE
- Umphred's neurological rehabilitation. 6th ed. 2013ClinicalKeySection I. Foundations for clinical practice in neurological rehabilitation. Foundations for clinical practice / Darcy A. Umphred, Rolando T. Lazaro and Margaret L. Roller -- Health and wellness: The beginning of the paradigm / Janet R. Bezner -- Movement analysis across the life span / Dale Scalise-Smith and Darcy A. Umphred -- Contemporary issues and theories of motor control, motor learning, and neuroplasticity / Margaret L. Roller ... [et.al.] -- The limbic system : Influence over motor control and learning / Darcy A. Umphred, Marcia Hall Thompson and Therese Marie West -- Psychosocial aspects of adaptation and adjustment during various phases of neurological disability / Rochelle McLaughlin and Gordon U. Burton -- Differential diagnosis phase 1 : Medical screening by the therapist / William G. Boissonnault and Darcy A. Umphred -- Differential diagnosis phase 2 : Examination and evaluation of functional movement activities, body functions and structures, and participation / Rolando T. Lazaro, Margaret L. Roller and Darcy A. Umphred -- Interventions for clients with movement limitations / Darcy A. Umphred ... [et.al.] -- Payment systems for services : Documentation through the care continuum / Barbara Edmison and John G. Wallace, Jr. -- Section II. Rehabilitation management of clients with neurological system pathology. Neonates and parents : Neurodevelopmental perspectives in the neonatal intensive care unit and follow-up / Jane K. Sweeney, Teresa Gutierrez and Joanna C. Beachy -- Management of clinical problems of children with cerebral palsy / Claudia R. Senesac -- Genetic disorders : A pediatric perspective / Sandra G. Bellamy and Eunice Yu Chiu Shen -- Learning disabilities and developmental coordination disorder / Stacey E. Szklut and Darbi Breath Philibert -- Spina bifida : A congenital spinal cord injury / Kristin J. Krosschell and Mari Jo Pesavento -- Traumatic spinal cord injury / Myrtice B. Atrice ... [et.al.] -- Neuromuscular diseases / Ann Hallum and Diane D. Allen -- Beyond the central nervous system : Neurovascular entrapment syndromes / Bradley W. Stockert, Laura J. Kenny and Peter I. Edgelow -- Multiple sclerosis / Gail L. Widener -- Basal ganglia disorders / Marsha E. Melnick -- Movement dysfunction associated with cerebellar damage / Susanne M. Morton and Amy J. Bastian -- Balance and vestibular dysfunction / Leslie K. Allison and Kenda Fuller -- Movement dysfunction associated with hemiplegia / Susan D. Ryerson -- Traumatic brain injury / Patricia A. Winkler -- Brain tumors / Corrie J. Stayner, Rachel M. Lopez and Karla M. Tuzzolino -- Inflammatory and infectious disorders of the brain / Judith A. Dewane -- Aging, dementia, and disorders of cognition / Osa Jackson Schulte, James Stephens and Joyce Ann -- Section III. Neurological disorders and applications issues. Disorders of vision and visual-perceptual dysfunction / Laurie Ruth Chaikin -- Pelvic floor treatment of incontinence and other urinary dysfunctions in men and women / Beate Carriere -- Cardiovascular and pulmonary system health in populations with neurological disorders / Marilyn Mackay-Lyons -- Human immunodeficiency virus infection : Living with a chronic illness / Kerri Sowers, Mary Lou Galantino and David M. Kietrys -- Pain management / Annie Burke-Doe -- Electrophysiological testing and electrical stimulation in neurological rehabilitation / Alain Claudel ... [et.al.] -- Orthotics : Evaluation, intervention, and prescription / Heidi Truman and Walter Racette -- Management of chronic impairments in individuals with nervous system conditions / Myla U. Quiben -- Impact of drug therapy on patients receiving neurological rehabilitation / Annie Burke-Doe and Timothy J. Smith -- Use of medical imaging in neurorehabilitation / Rolando T. Lazaro and Darcy A. Umphred -- Integrating technology into clinical practice in neurological rehabilitation / Katie Byl ... [et.al.] -- Complementary and alternative therapies : Beyond traditional approaches to intervention in neurological diseases and movement disorders / Darcy A. Umphred, Carol M. Davis and Mary Lou Galantino.
- Uncemented femoral stems for revision surgery the press-fit concept - planning - surgical technique - evaluation 2015SpringerPart I: Press-Fit Concept -- Uncemented Concepts: Parameters to Make a Choice -- The Press-Fit Concept: Principles and Press-Fittable Zones -- The Press-Fit Concept: Practical Application -- The Press-Fit Concept: Implants And Instruments -- Part II: Preoperative Planning -- Radiographic Analysis Of The Femur -- Selection of a Strategy -- Making a Preoperative Template -- Part III: Surgical Technique -- Trochantero-Diaphyseal Femoral Flap -- Femoral Flap and Diaphyseal Primary Fixation -- Endofemoral Approach and Proximal Primary Fixation -- Part IV: Evaluation of the Radiographic Results -- General Considerations -- A-Evaluation of the Radiographic Results ? How? -- Evaluation of Initial and Secondary Bone Stock -- Evaluation of Osseointegration and Secondary Stability -- Global Radiographic Score -- Comparative Elements with the Engh Score -- Part V: Evaluation of the Radiographic Results -- Why? -- The Learning Curve and its Teachings -- Different Types of Primary Stability: Their Impact on the Radiographic Results -- Degree of Osteoporosis: Its Impact on the Radiographic Results -- Affected Initial Bone Stock: Its Impact on the Radiographic Results -- Parameters to Improve Radiographic Results -- Complications and Contraindications -- Numerical Evaluation and Comparative Analysis of Results -- General Conclusions: What You Should and What You Should not Do.
- Part 1: Guidance document on characterizing and communicating uncertainty in exposure assessment -- Part 2: Hallmarks of data quality in chemical exposure assessment.
- Print Material
- Uncommon diseases in the ICU 2014SpringerThis book highlights the practical characteristics of uncommon diseases and presents the most relevant features for the management of intensive care units. It does not aim to provide an exhaustive description of uncommon diseases, focusing instead on the major diseases that intensivists may encounter in their clinical practice. After a brief introduction on the epidemiology and pathophysiology of each disease, the authors emphasize the aspects related to diagnosis and treatment, providing concise and pragmatic guidance for residents and intensivists who care for patients with uncommon diseases. Although by definition uncommon diseases have a low prevalence in the general population, they can affect a large number of patients admitted to intensive care units, as they can often be diagnosed at intensive care units. Indeed, often a complication of the disease is what leads to the patient's being admitted to an intensive care unit.
- Uncommon pancreatic neoplasms 2013SpringerCystic Pancreatic Neoplasms -- Classification / Giuseppe Zamboni -- Serous Cystic Neoplasms / Giuseppe Malleo, Giuseppe Zamboni, Marina Paini, Giovanni Marchegiani -- Mucinous Cystic Neoplasms / Giovanni Marchegiani, Riccardo Manfredi, Giuseppe Malleo, Isabella Frigerio -- Solid-pseudopapillary, Acinar, and Other Cystic Neoplasms / Marina Paini, Giuseppe Zamboni, Riccardo Manfredi, Salvatore Paiella, Giuseppe Malleo -- Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasms / Isabella Frigerio, Giuseppe Zamboni, Riccardo Manfredi, Antonio Pea, Silvia Pennacchio -- The Role of the Oncologist in the Diagnosis and Management of Malignant Cystic Neoplasms / Alessandra Auriemma, Davide Melisi, Giampaolo Tortora -- Neuroendocrine Pancreatic Neoplasms -- Epidemiology and Clinical Presentation / Maria Vittoria Davì, Marco Toaiari, Giuseppe Francia -- Pathology and Genetics / Aldo Scarpa, Vincenzo Corbo -- Imaging / Roberto Pozzi Mucelli, Giovanni Foti, Luigi Romano -- Surgical Therapy / Rossella Bettini, Stefano Partelli, Stefano Crippa, Letizia Boninsegna, Massimo Falconi -- Functional Imaging and Peptide Receptor Radionuclide Therapy / Maria Chiara Ambrosetti, Duccio Volterrani, Federica Guidoccio, Lisa Bodei -- Targeted and Other Non-receptor-mediated Therapies / Sara Cingarlini, Chiara Trentin, Elisabetta Grego, Giampaolo Tortora -- Uncommon Pancreatic Solid Neoplasms -- Rare Variants of Ductal Adenocarcinoma of the Pancreas / Paolo Regi, Marco Dal Molin, Federica Pedica, Paola Capelli, Mirko D'Onofrio -- Rare Primary Tumors of the Pancreas / Marco Dal Molin, Paola Capelli, Mirko D'Onofrio, Ivana Cataldo, Giovanni Marchegiani -- Rare Secondary Tumors of the Pancreas / Giovanni Butturini, Marco Inama, Marco Dal Molin, Mirko D'Onofrio, Davide Melisi -- Primary Non-epithelial Tumors of the Pancreas / Marco Dal Molin, Paola Capelli -- Tumor-like Lesions of the Pancreas / Luca Frulloni, Antonio Amodio, Italo Vantini, Marco Dal Molin, Marco Inama.
- Print Material1. Getting Started -- 2. Organizing Data -- 3. Averages and Variation -- 4. Elementary Probability Theory -- 5. The Binomial Probability Distribution and Related Topics -- 6. Normal Curves and Sampling Distributions -- 7. Estimation -- 8. Hypothesis Testing -- 9. Correlation and Regression -- 10. Chi-Square and F Distributions -- 11. Nonparametric Statistics.
- Understanding and controlling the irritable bowel 2015Springer1. Irritable bowel syndrome: what is it? -- 2. The digestive tract and how it works -- 3. The cause of irritable bowel syndrome -- 4. How is irritable bowel syndrome diagnosed? -- 5. Treatment options without medication -- 6. Treatment options involving medication -- 7. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
- Understanding and preventing falls 2006CRCnetBASE
- Understanding and using health experiences improving patient care. 1st ed. 2013OSO, Limited to 3 simultaneous usersImproving patient experience is a global priority for health policy-makers and care providers. This book critically examines the various ways in which people's experience of health and healthcare can be recorded, analysed and therefore improved.
- "Surveillance data collected in vital registration and TB notification systems provide essential information about the TB epidemic and programmatic efforts to control the disease at both national and local levels. Analysis of these data can help programme managers and other staff to track the level of and trends in TB disease burden, detect outbreaks of disease and identify ways to improve existing TB prevention, diagnostic and treatment services. This book provides practical guidance on the analysis and use of such surveillance data, and is suitable for a wide range of people engaged in TB control. It was produced as a major collaborative effort as part of the work of the WHO's Global Task Force on TB Impact Measurement."-- back cover.
- Understanding antimicrobial exposure and clostridium difficile infection implications of fluoroquinolone usePrint Material
- Understanding autism from basic neuroscience to treatment 2006CRCnetBASEIntegrating basic and clinical neuroscience perspectives, this book presents a comprehensive perspective on state-of-the-art research in epidemiology, genetics, and clinical neuroscience and neural systems implicated in autism. This book seeks to stimulate new directions for autism research on etiology, pathophysiology, and the development of new drug treatment. An underlying theme focuses on the potential for future research given the availability of the human, mouse, and other genomes. The text also explores the role of autism in society, including health economics and advocacy issues of interest to legislators.
- Print Material
- Understanding biology using peptides proceedings of the Nineteenth American Peptide Symposium 2006Springer
- Print MaterialSome introductory concepts in tumor biology: clonal evolution and autonomy versus non-autonomy of cancer cells -- The cell's life and death: cell cycle, senescence and apoptosis -- Oncogenes -- Tumor-suppressor genes -- Genomic instability -- A twist in the (genetic) tail: cancer epigenetics -- Nonautonomous interactions in carcinogenesis: role of the tumor stroma -- Telomerase and cellular immortality -- tumor angiogenesis -- Metastasis -- Tissue context as a determinant of the tumor-suppressive or oncogenic function of certain genes -- Cancer stem cells -- Determination of therapeutic efficacy-pharmacogenomics -- Certain chemicals induce cancer: chemical carcinogenesis -- Hormones and cancer -- Viral oncogenesis -- Cooperation of multiple biological processes is needed for the development of fully fledged malignancy -- Carcinogenesis in vivo: animal models and basic approaches to generate genetically modified animals -- Multistage carcinogenesis in humans: molecular epidemiology and the colon cancer model -- Epilogue.
- Understanding Clinical Papers is a popular and well established introduction to reading clinical papers. It unravels the process of evidence-based practice, using real papers to illustrate how to understand and evaluate published research, and provides clear explanations of important research-related topics.
- Understanding clinical research 2013AccessMedicineComplete how-to guidance on conducting clinical research, this book addresses the operational challenges of clinical trials and provides a clear explanation of the methodologies necessary to interpret results. The book addresses all aspects of clinical trials, from design and implementation to statistics to regulatory scrutiny. A resource for students, residents, and clinicians who need a working knowledge of clinical research principles. The chapter authors are all leaders in the field and engaged in cutting edge clinical research. Use as a textbook, as a reference, and as a course guide for mandated clinical research training courses.
- Understanding consumers of food products 2007CRCnetBASEpt. 1. Key influences on consumer food choice -- pt. 2. Product attributes and consumer food choice -- pt. 3. Diversity in consumer food choice: cultural and individual difference -- pt. 4. Consumers, food and health -- pt. 5. Consumer attitude, food policy and practice.
- Gonadal development / Lucas-Herald, A.K., Bashamboo, A. -- The masculinization programming window / Welsh, M., Suzuki, H., Yamada, G. -- Androgen action / Werner, R., Holterhus, P.-M. -- Steroid biochemistry / Kamrath, C., Wudy, S.A., Krone, N. -- Next generation sequencing for disorders of sex development / Tobias, E.S., McElreavey, K. -- Advances in neuroimaging / Rodie, M.E., Forbes, K.P., Muir, K. -- Imaging, endoscopy and diagnostic surgery / Wünsch, L., Buchholz, M. -- Fertility issues in the management of patients with disorders of sex development / Guercio, G., Rey, R.A. -- Disorders of sex development peer support / Baratz, A.B., Sharp, M.K., Sandberg, D.E. -- Improving the communication of healthcare professionals with affected children and adolescents / Nordenström, A., Thyen, U. -- Working with adolescents and young adults to support transition / Gleeson, H., Wisniewski, A.B. -- Past experiences of adults with disorders of sex development / GrApSIA, Audí, L. -- Sex hormone replacement in disorders of sex development / Birnbaum, W., Bertelloni, S. -- Hydrocortisone replacement in disorders of sex development / Blankenstein, O. -- Advances in molecular markers of germ cell cancer in patients with disorders of sex development / van der Zwan, Y.H., Cools, M., Looijenga, L.H.J. -- Managing the risk of germ cell tumourigenesis in disorders of sex development patients / Cools, M., Looijenga, L.H.J., Wolffenbuttel, K.P., T'Sjoen, G. -- Timing of hypospadias repair in patients with disorders of sex development / Springer, A., Baskin, L.S. -- Timing of surgery for feminizing genitoplasty in patients suffering from congenital adrenal hyperplasia / Eckoldt-Wolke, F. -- Timing of feminising surgery in disorder of sex development / Wolffenbuttel, K.P., Crouch, N.S. -- Phalloplasty : a panacea for 46,XY disorder of sex development conditions with penile deficiency? / Callens, N.; Hoebeke, P. -- Rare diseases research and practice / Polizzi, A., Balsamo, A., Bal, M.O., Taruscio, D. -- Achieving diagnostic certainty in resource-limited settings / Mazen, I., Raza, J. -- Global application of disorders of sex development-related electronic resources : e-learning, e-consultation and e-information sharing / Muscarella, M., Kranenburg-van Koppen, L., Grijpink-van den Biggelaar, K., Drop, S.L.S. -- International networks for supporting research and clinical care in the field of disorders of sex development / Ahmed, S.F., Bryce, J., Hiort, O.
- Understanding drug release and absorption mechanisms a physical and mathematical approach 2007CRCnetBASEMathematical modeling -- Gastrointestinal tract and skin -- Rheology -- Mass transport -- Drug dissolution and partitioning -- Dissolution of crystallites: size effectson on the solubility -- Drug release from matrix systems -- Drug release from microemulsions -- Drug permeation through membranes.
- Understanding emotions. 1st ed. 2006ScienceDirect
- Understanding evidence-based rheumatology a guide to interpreting criteria, drugs, trials, registries, and ethics 2014SpringerIt is imperative that health professionals caring for patients with rheumatic diseases understand how to correctly interpret evidence in their field, taking into account the merits and shortcomings of available data. Understanding Evidence-Based Rheumatology offers a practical assessment of criteria, drugs, trials, and registries and provides useful tools for successfully interpreting this data. The book introduces readers to basic analysis of trial design, statistics, and application of data through no-nonsense, easy-to-follow insights. Using numerous examples, chapters outline the difficulties physicians encounter when measuring disease activity in rheumatology, and offer strategies for systematically approaching these situations. Ethical issues in study design and reporting are examined, and the book closes with a summary of future directions for scientific and clinical studies in rheumatology. Understanding Evidence-Based Rheumatology is an invaluable resource for trainees, experienced clinicians, and scientists, preparing them with the necessary tools to correctly gather evidence and shed light on the difficult practice of rheumatology.
- Understanding fluorescein angiography = Fluoreszeinangiografie verstehen = Entendiendo angiografía con fluoresceína 2006Springer
- Understanding global health. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2014AccessMedicineGlobal health : past, present and future / Amir A. Khaliq and Raymond A. Smego, Jr. -- The global burden of disease / Thuy D. Bui and William H. Markle -- Epidemiology, biostatistics, and surveillance / Christopher Martin -- The health of women/mothers and children / Judy Lewis, Monika Doshi, Deyanira Gonzalez de Leon, and Amany Refaat -- Human trafficking / Clydette Powell -- Environmental health in the global context / Jeffrey K. Griffiths and Edward Winant -- Nutrition / Clydette Powell and John R. Butterly -- Primary care in global health / Jeffrey F. Markuns and Alain J. Montegut -- Malaria / Paul R. Larson and Mark W. Meyer -- Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS / Lisa V. Adams and Godfrey B. Woelk -- The neglected tropical diseases / Gregory Juckett -- Emerging diseases and antimicrobial resistance / Arif R. Sarwari and Rashida A. Khakoo -- Injury and global health / Jeffry P. McKinzie -- Surgical issues in global health / Eileen S. Natuzzi, et al. -- Humanitarian assistance and disaster relief / Sheri Fink, Vera Sistenich, and Clydette Powell -- Aging populations and chronic illness / Wayne A. Hale, Jane D. Joubert, and Sebastiana Kalula -- Global mental health : the world mental health surveys perspective / Jordi Alonso, Somnath Chatterji, Yanling He, Philip S. Wang, and Ronald C. Kessler -- Global health communications, social marketing, and emerging communication technologies / Gary Snyder -- Economics and global health / Kevin Chan -- Health systems, management, and organization in global health / David Zakus, Onil Bhattacharyya, and Xiaolin Wei -- Global health ethics / Anvar Velji and John H. Bryant -- Education and careers in global health / Jessica Evert and Scott Loeliger.
- Print Material
- Print Material
- Understanding health policy a clinical approach. 6th ed. 2012AccessMedicineIntroduction: the paradox of excess and deprivation -- Paying for health care -- Access to health care -- Reimbursing health care providers -- How health care is organised--I: primary, secondary, and tertiary care -- How health care is organised--II: health delivery systems -- Health care workforce and the education of health professionals -- Painful versus painless cost control -- Mechanisms for controlling costs -- Quality of health care -- Prevention of illness -- Long-term care -- Medical ethics and rationing of health care -- Health care in four nations -- Health care reform and national health insurance -- Conflict and change in America's health care system -- Conclusion: tensions and challenges -- Questions and discussion topics.
- Understanding liver cancer a tale of two diseases 2014SpringerUnderstanding Liver Cancer is a concise and up-to-date review, which discusses diagnosis, management, patient care, current and emerging therapies, and useful resources that clinicians can provide to their patients. Busy healthcare professionals who want a quick review of liver cancer as well as a summary of current therapies will benefit from this succinct text.
- Historical Aspects of Mechanical Ventilation / Ashfaq Hasan -- The Indications for Mechanical Ventilation / Ashfaq Hasan -- Physiological Considerations in the Mechanically Ventilated Patient / Ashfaq Hasan -- The Conventional Modes of Mechanical Ventilation / Ashfaq Hasan -- Ventilator Settings / Ashfaq Hasan -- Ventilator Alarms / Ashfaq Hasan -- Monitoring Gas Exchange in the Mechanically Ventilated Patient / Ashfaq Hasan -- Monitoring Lung Mechanics in the Mechanically Ventilated Patient / Ashfaq Hasan -- Mechanical Ventilation in Specific Disorders / Ashfaq Hasan -- The Complications of Mechanical Ventilation / Ashfaq Hasan -- Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia / Ashfaq Hasan -- Discontinuation of Mechanical Ventilation / Ashfaq Hasan -- Noninvasive Ventilation in Acute Respiratory Failure / Ashfaq Hasan -- Negative Pressure Ventilation / Ashfaq Hasan -- Airway Humidification in the Mechanically Ventilated Patient / Ashfaq Hasan -- Aerosol Therapy in the Mechanically Ventilated Patient / Ashfaq Hasan -- Nonconventional Modes and Adjunctive Therapies for Mechanical Ventilation / Ashfaq Hasan -- Case Studies / Ashfaq Hasan.
- Understanding medical education evidence, theory, and practice. Second edition. [2nd ed.] 2014ebraryUnderstanding medical education / Tim Swanwick -- Teaching and learning in medical education: how theory can inform practice / David M Kaufman and Karen V. Mann -- Principles of curriculum design / Janet Grant -- Quality in medical education / Alan Bleakley, Julie Browne and Kate Ellis -- Problem-based learning / Mark A Albanese -- Interprofessional education / Della Freeth -- Work-based learning / Clare Morris and David Blaney -- Supervision, mentoring and coaching / John Launer -- Teaching and leading small groups / Peter McCrorie -- Lectures and large groups / Andrew Long and Bridget Lock -- Technology-enhanced learning / Alison Bullock and Peter de Jong -- E-learning / Scott Rice and Jean McKendree -- Simulation in medical education / Jean Ker and Paul Bradley -- Portfolios in personal and professional development / Erik Driessen and Jan van Tartwijk -- Self-regulated learning in medical education / Casey B. White, Larry D.Gruppen and Joseph C. Fantone -- Learning medicine from the humanities / J. Jill Gordon and H. Martyn Evans -- Patient involvement in medical education / John Spencer and Judy McKimm -- How to design a useful test: the principles of assessment / Lambert WT Schuwirth and Cees PM van der Vleuten -- Written assessment / Brian Jolly -- Workplace assessment / John J Norcini -- Structured assessments of clinical competence / Katharine A. M. Boursicot, Trudie E Roberts and William P Burdick -- Standard setting methods in medical education / Andr F. De Champlain -- Formative assessment / Diana F Wood -- Thinking about research: theoretical perspectives, ethics and scholarship / Jan Illing -- Quantitative research methods in medical education / Geoff Norman and Kevin W Eva -- Qualitative research in medical education: methodologies and methods / Lorelei Lingard, Tara J. Kennedy and Stella Ng -- Programme evaluation: improving practice, influencing policy and decision-making / Chris Lovato and David Wall -- Selection into medical education and training / Fiona Patterson , Eammon Ferguson and Alec Knight -- Career progression and support / Caroline Elton and Nicole J. Borges -- Managing remediation / Deborah Cohen, Melody Rhydderch and Ian Cooper -- Dealing with diversity / Anthony Americano and Dinesh Bhugra -- Developing medical educators: a journey, not a destination / Yvonne Steinart -- Educational leadership / Judy McKimm and Tim Swanwick.
- Understanding medical professionalism 2014AccessMedicineA practical approach to 'professionalism' -- Building professional resiliency -- A brief history of medicine's modern-day professionalism movement -- Professional behaviors and skills needed to deliver patient-centered care -- Integrity and accountability -- Professionalism and a commitment to excellence -- Fair and ethical stewardship of health care resources -- The 'hidden curriculum' and professionalism -- Education -- Evaluating professionalism -- When things go wrong -- Organizational professionalism.
- Understanding military workforce productivity effects of substance abuse, health, and mental health 2014SpringerFrom the stresses of repeated deployments to the difficulties of re-entry into civilian life, we are just beginning to understand how protracted conflicts, such as those in Iraq and Afghanistan, are affecting service members. Issues such as risky health behaviors and chemical dependence raise productivity concerns as they do with all organizations, but they also have a profound impact on the safety and readiness of troops--and by extension, the military as a whole--in life-or-death situations. Understanding Military Workforce Productivity cuts through the myths and misconceptions about the health and resilience of today's active-duty armed forces. This first-of-its-kind volume presents up-to-date findings across service branches in core health areas including illness and injury, alcohol and drug abuse, tobacco use, obesity, and mental health. The short- and long-term implications discussed relate to the quality of the lives of service members and their families, the quality and preparedness of the military as a workforce, and prevention and intervention efforts.
- Understanding MySQL internals 2007ProQuest Safari
- Understanding teamwork in health care 2014AccessMedicineA complete introductory guide to the principles and clinical application of team-based medicine, Understanding Team-Based Healthcare emphasizes the essential competencies necessary to implement team-based medicine in a complex hospital or primary care setting. Unlike similar books on the subject which are theoretical or policy-oriented, this text offers practical, real-world coverage, and is valuable for healthcare professionals seeking a thorough explanation of teamwork and for trainers working in hospitals or primary care settings. Features: could also be used as a textbook; mini-cases throughout the text help readers appreciate real-world application of principles; written for a level suited for the non-specialist.
- Understanding value-based healthcare 2015AccessMedicineThe current state of healthcare costs and waste in the United States -- Medical coverage in the United States -- The challenges of understanding healthcare pricing -- Defining value : connecting quality and safety to the costs of care -- A changing landscape : cost consciousness and value in healthcare delivery -- Ethics of cost conscious care -- The importance of zip codes and genetic codes : variation in resource utilization -- Stents, robots, and the role of technology diffusion -- Primary care shortage crisis : lost opportunities to deliver value / David Margolius and Andrew Morris-Singer -- Barriers to providing high-value care / Daisy Smith and Steven Weinberger -- Building a pipeline for change : teaching about cost awareness and evidence-based medicine -- The role of patients : shared decision making, e-patients, and consumer directed healthcare -- High-value medication prescribing -- Screening and prevention : balancing benefits with harms and costs -- Shifting incentives : moving reimbursement from volume to value -- Implementing value-based initiatives : a new challenge for clinicians and healthcare systems.
- Print MaterialDifferential diagnosis of voice problems -- Morphology of vocal fold mucosa : histology to genomics -- Phonotrauma : its effects on phonatory physiology -- Voice problems associated with nervous system involvement -- Voice problems associated with organic disease, and trauma -- Voice problems associated with the pediatric and the geriatric voice -- The voice history, examination and testing -- Surgical and medical management of voice disorders -- Voice rehabilitation -- Anatomy of the vocal fold mechanism -- Phonatory physiology -- Neuroanatomy of the vocal mechanism -- Some normative data on the voice.
- Underwood's Pathology a clinical approach. 6th ed. 2013ClinicalKeyWhat is pathology? -- What is disease? -- What causes disease? -- Disorders of growth, differentiation and morphogenesis -- Responses to cellular injury -- Disorders of metabolism and homeostasis -- Ischaemia, infarction and shock -- Immunology and immunopathology -- Inflammation -- Carcinogenesis and neoplasia -- Ageing and death -- How do pathologists help patient care? -- Cardiovascular system -- Respiratory tract -- Liver, biliary system and pancreas -- Endocrine system -- Breast -- Female genital tract -- Urinary and male genital tracts -- Kidney diseases -- Lymph nodes and extranodal lymphoid tissue, spleen and thymus -- Blood and bone marrow -- Skin -- Osteoarticular and connective tissues -- Central and peripheral nervous systems.
- Undocumented secrets of MATLAB-Java programming 2012CRCnetBASE"Preface The Matlab programming environment uses Java for numerous tasks, including networking, data-processing algorithms, and graphical user-interface (GUI). Matlab's internal Java classes can often be easily accessed and used by Matlab users. Matlab also enables easy access to external Java functionality, either third-party or user-created. Using Java, we can extensively customize the Matlab environment and application GUI, enabling the creation of very esthetically pleasing applications. Unlike Matlab's interface with other programming languages, the internal Java classes and the Matlab-Java interface were never fully documented by The MathWorks (TMW), the company that manufactures the Matlab product. This is really quite unfortunate: Java is one of the most widely used programming languages, having many times as many programmers as Matlab. Using this huge pool of knowledge and components can significantly improve Matlab applications. As a consultant, I often hear clients claim that Matlab is a fine programming platform for prototyping, but is not suitable for real-world modern-looking applications. This book aimed at correcting this misconception. It shows how using Java can significantly improve Matlab program appearance and functionality and that this can be done easily and even without any prior Java knowledge. In fact, many basic programming requirements cannot be achieved (or are difficult) in pure Matlab, but are very easy in Java. As a simple example, maximizing and minimizing windows is not possible in pure Matlab, but is a trivial one-liner using the underlying Java codeʹ:"--Provided by publisher.
- Part I: Definitions and Epidemiology -- Definitions and Relevance of Unexplained Infertility in Reproductive Medicine -- Definitions and Epidemiology of Unexplained Male Infertility -- Controversies Surrounding the 2010 World Health Organization Cutoff Values for Human Semen Characteristics and Its Impact on Unexplained Infertility -- Definitions and Epidemiology of Unexplained Female Infertility -- Part II: Pathophysiology: Male -- Sperm Biology from Production to Ejaculation -- Idiopathic Infertility: Survival and Function of Sperm in the Female Reproductive Tract -- Potential Male Etiologies of Unexplained Infertility -- Genetic Basis of Unexplained Male Infertility -- Role of the Immune System in Unexplained Male Infertility -- Oxidative Stress in Unexplained Male Infertility -- Role and Significance of Sperm Function in Men with Unexplained Infertility -- Role of Environmental Factors and Gonadotoxin Exposure in Unexplained Male Infertility -- Part III: Pathophysiology: Female -- Potential Female Etiologies of Unexplained Infertility -- Oxidative Stress in Unexplained Female Infertility -- Role of Environmental Factors and Gonadotoxin Exposure in Unexplained Female Infertility -- Cervical Hostility and Vaginal pH in Females with Unexplained Infertility -- Role of Endometrial Receptivity in Unexplained Infertility -- Fallopian Tube Dysfunction in Unexplained Infertility -- Subtle Endometriosis and Unexplained Infertility -- Part IV: Evaluation -- Evaluation of Women with Unexplained Infertility -- Evaluation of Men with Unexplained Infertility -- Part V: Expectant, Medical and Surgical Treatment -- The Role of Expectant Management for Couples with Unexplained Infertility -- Treatment and Prognosis of Immunological Factors in Unexplained Male Infertility -- Medication Strategies for the Male with Unexplained Infertility -- Clomiphene Citrate for Women with Unexplained Infertility -- Aromatase Inhibitors in the Treatment of Unexplained Female Infertility -- Gonadotropins for Women with Unexplained Infertility -- Part VI: Assisted Reproductive Techniques and Future Perspectives -- Gonadotropin in Assisted Reproduction: An Evolution Perspective -- Intrauterine Insemination in Unexplained Female Infertility -- Role of In Vitro Fertilization in Unexplained Female Infertility -- Role of Assisted Reproduction Techniques in the Management of Unexplained Male Infertility -- Future Perspectives in the Diagnosis and Management of Unexplained Male Infertility.
- Unfolded protein response and cellular stress. Part A-C. 1st ed. pt. A-C, 2011.ScienceDirectpt. B ScienceDirectpt. C ScienceDirect
- Unified modeling language reference manual. 2nd ed. 2005ProQuest Safari
- Unity of science in the Arabic tradition science, logic, epistemology and their interactions 2008Springer
- Print Material
- Print Material
- Universities and science in the early modern period 2006Springer"Mathematics for astronomy" at universities in Copernicus' time / Grazina Rosińska -- The University of Salamanca and the renaissance of astronomy during the second half of the 15th century / José Chabás -- Medical science and medical teachings at the University of Salamanca in the 15th century / Luis García Ballester -- The faculty of medicine of Valencia / José M. López Piñero -- The cultivation of astronomy in Spanish universities in the latter half of the 16th century / Victor Navarro-Brotons -- The Sphere of Jacques du Chevreul: astronomy at the University of Paris in the 1620s / Roger Ariew -- Lectures and practices: the variety of mathematical and mechanical teaching at the University of Uppsala in the 17th century / Maija Kallinen -- Mathematical research in Italian universities in the modern era / Maria Teresa Borgato -- Universities, academies, and sciences in the modern age / Luigi Pepe -- Natural philosophy and mathematics in Portuguese universities, 1550-1650 / Luís Miguel Carolino & Henrique Leitão -- Venetian policy toward the University of Padua and scientific progress during the 18th century / Piero del Negro -- Candide in Caledonia: the culture of science in the Scottish universities, 1690-1805 / Paul Wood -- The sciences at the University of Rome in the 18th century / Ugo Baldini -- Enlightenment and renovation in the Spanish university / José Luis Peset -- Spanish chemistry textbooks during late 18th century / Antonio García Belmar and José Ramón Bertomeu Sánchez -- Botany in University studies in the late 18th century : the case of Valencia University / Cristina Sendra-Mocholí -- Scientific education and the crisis of the university in 18th century Barcelona / Agustí Nieto-Galan & Antoni Roca-Rosell -- The theories of Copernicus and Newton in the Viceroyship of Nueva Granada and the Audiencia de Caracas during the 18th century / Luis Carlos Arboleda Aparicio & Diana Soto Arango.
- University Department of Psychiatry in Munich from Kraepelin and his predecessors to molecular psychiatry 2008Springer
- Unix in a nutshell. 4th ed. 2006ProQuest SafariIntroduction -- Unix commands -- The Unix shell: an overview -- The Bash and Korn shells -- tcsh: an extended C shell -- Package management -- Pattern matching -- The Emacs editor -- The vi, ex, and vim editors -- The sed editor -- The awk programming language -- Source code management: an overview -- The revision control system -- The concurrent versions system -- The subversion version control system -- The GNU make utility -- The GDB debugger -- Writing manual pages.
- Every day across America, behavioral health problems in childhood and adolescence, from anxiety to violence, take a heavy toll on millions of lives. For decades the approach to these problems has been to treat them only after they've been identified--at a high and ongoing cost to young people, families, entire communities, and our nation. Now we have a 30-year body of research and more than 50 programs showing that behavioral health problems can be prevented. This critical mass of prevention science is converging with growing interest in prevention across health care, education, child psychiatry, child welfare, and juvenile justice. Together, we stand at the threshold of a new age of prevention. The challenge now is to mobilize across disciplines and communities to unleash the power of prevention on a nationwide scale. Proposes a grand challenge that will advance the policies, programs, funding, and workforce preparation needed to promote behavioral health and prevent behavioral health problems among all young people--including those at greatest disadvantage or risk, from birth through age 24. Within a decade, we can reduce the incidence and prevalence of behavioral health problems in this population by 20 percent from current levels through widespread policies and programs that will serve millions and save billions. Prevention is the best investment we can make, and the time to make it is now.
- Unlocking the brain 2014Print MaterialV. 1. Coding -- v. 2. Consciousness.
- Unofficial guide to Microsoft Office Excel 2007 2007books24x7, SUNet ID login required.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- AAP Red Book Online
- Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics
- Mandell, Douglas, & Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infectious Diseases
- Red Book Online
- ICU Book
- Primary Care Medicine
- Campbell-Walsh Urology
Access restricted to Stanford community
Shortcut to Licensed Content
TO INSTALL, DRAG THIS BUTTON to your browser Bookmarks or Tools Bar.
Bookmark on Other Websites
- TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
- Select "Add to Favorites" (click “Continue” if you see a security alert)
- From the "Create in" menu, select “Favorites Bar” (IE8, IE9) to install
- Once installed it will look like this
- Click "Bookmark on Lane" to bookmark any webpage
- Your saved bookmark will appear on this page
TO INSTALL, RIGHT CLICK this button.
Can't find it?
Look if we have it in print
- Springer Protocols
- Lange Series
- National Academy Press
- NCBI Bookshelf
- Thieme Atlases
A repository of medical knowledge from internal medicine, cardiology, genetics, pharmacy, diagnosis and management, basic sciences, patient care, and more. Continuously expanding, all databases in the repository contain the latest editions of selected medical titles.MicroMedex: Premier pharmaceutical information source containing multiple databases and drug reference tools. Of particular value is DRUGDEX Evaluations, one of the most comprehensive drug sources available.DynaMed is a clinical information resource used by physicians to answer clinical questions quickly and easily at the point of care. Topics are updated daily as new evidence becomes available. Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings.A drug information resource containing: American Hospital Formulary System (AHFS), drug formulary for Lucile Packard Children's Hospital (LPCH) and Stanford Hospital & Clinics (SHC), Lexi-Drugs (adverse reactions, dosage and administration, mechanism of action, storage, use, and administration information), Lexi-Calc, Lexi-ID, Lexi-I.V. Compatibility (King Guide), Lexi-Interact, and Lexi-PALS.Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature (CINAHL) contains coverage of nursing and allied health literature.A knowledge database that provides access to topic reviews based on over 6000 clinically relevant articles. The evidence-based content, updated regularly, provides the latest practice guidelines in 59 medical specialtiesProvides critical assessments of systematic reviews compiled from a variety of medical journals.Selects from the biomedical literature original studies and systematic reviews that are immediately clinically relevant and then summarizes these articles in an enhanced abstract with expert commentary.Multidisciplinary coverage of over 10,000 high-impact journals in the sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities, as well as international proceedings coverage for over 120,000 conferences. Includes cited reference searching, citation maps, and an analyze tool.Features systematic reviews that summarize the effects of interventions and makes a determination whether the intervention is efficacious or not. Cochrane reviews are created through a strict process of compiling and analyzing data from multiple randomized control trials to ensure comprehensiveness and reliability.Provides systematic coverage of the psychological literature from the 1800s to the present through articles, book chapters and dissertations.BMJ Clinical Evidence. A clinical information tool built around systematic reviews summarizing the current state of knowledge about prevention and treatment of clinical conditions.PIER (Physicians' Information and Education Resource) is a Web-based decision-support tool designed for rapid point-of-care delivery of up-to-date, evidence-based guidance for primary care physicians.Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) provides access to 300,000 controlled trials that have been identified the Cochrane Collaboration.Provides drug information targeted for patients.A continually updating drug monograph.The National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC): A comprehensive database of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines and related documents.MedlinePlus: A repository of health information from the National Library of Medicine. Links are from trusted sites. No advertising, no endorsement of commercial companies or productsLPCH CareNotes via MicroMedex: Patient education handouts customized by LPCH clinical staffMicromedex Lab Advisor: Evidence based laboratory test informationA drug database organized by generic name, trade name and drug class.LPCH / Stanford Hospital Formulary.A goldmine of trusted consumer health information from the world's largest medical library.A trusted source of expert advice for and about kids, providing the information necessary to help patients and parents understand their unique needs.Provides patient handouts from the American Academy of Family Physician.Access to the Stanford Health Library for patients.Lane provides access to over 5,000 eBooks many of which provide helpful background material that will prepare you to better tackle primary literature.Largest, broadest eBook package; covers all sciences, as well as technology (including software), medicine, and humanities. In addition to covering Wiley and Springer, MyiLibrary is also the only provider for Oxford and Cambridge University Press titles. No seat restrictions.A collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by concept, and linked to terms in PubMed abstracts.A web-based, decision support system for infectious diseases, epidemiology, microbiology and antimicrobial chemotherapy. The database, updated weekly, currently includes 337 diseases, 224 countries, 1,147 microbial taxa and 306 antibacterial (-fungal, -parasitic, -viral) agents and vaccines. Over 10,000 notes outline the status of specific infections within each country.
Large number of high quality software and database programming titles from O'Reilly. Other software titles are also available from Sams and Prentice Hall. Limited to 7 concurrent users.Vast collection of software and database programming titles from multiple publishers, including Microsoft Press.Largest provider of engineering-related eBooks; includes titles in computer science and biomedical engineering.Over 4,000 full-text e-books covering scientific and technical information from CRC Press and others. Many handbooks and single volume reference sources.Includes peer-reviewed life science and biomedical research protocols compiled from Methods in Molecular Biology, Methods in Molecular Medicine, Methods in Biotechnology, Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuromethods, the Biomethods Handbook, the Proteomics Handbook, and Springer Laboratory Manuals.Contains full text access to selected biomedical and nursing books.Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics and astronomy, engineering and economics. Also includes eBooks.Collection of over 8 thousand fulltext titles in engineering, math, and basic and applied biomedical research. Coverage is from 1967 to the present.A library of ebooks on a wide array of topics, digitized and made available online in conjunction with the original publishers.