Library Description for Grant or Accreditation Applications
Lane Library Mission
The mission of Lane Medical Library & Knowledge Management Center is to enable biomedical discovery by connecting people with knowledge. Through innovative means, we acquire, deliver, create, and integrate information to promote excellence in research, education, and patient care.
Our vision is to be global leaders in connecting people with biomedical knowledge.
About Lane Library
Lane has 31 full-time staff of which 16 are librarians or technology professionals. Lane Library’s Liaison Program pairs departments, institutes, and student groups of Stanford University Medical Center with individual librarians who are familiar with the perspectives and knowledge of their assigned departments and specialties. We offer a variety of additional help, such as curriculum content management, and expert research consultation.
Training for Researchers
The Scholarly Research series is a partnership with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs designed for postdocs, fellows and graduate students that emphasizes searching the literature and citation tracking, managing information, writing grants and manuscripts, preparing presentations and posters, and designing a science course.
The Biotools and Data Management series is a partnership with core research centers designed for all biomedical researchers that emphasizes selection and use of genome, proteome and chemical tools and databases and methods to manage data.
Contact your departmental library liaison for detailed information.
Lane Library Collection
- Lane Library provides an extensive digital collection in clinical medicine, biomedicine, and public health. Overall, the Lane Library collection includes 16,547 periodical titles and 381,368 volumes.
- The digital collection includes over 62,000 resources
- The print collection includes:
- 30,000 historical/rare works
- 169,134 print book titles
Library Facilities, Budget, Statistics & Strategy
- We provide state-of-the-art library facilities with more than 300 seats and special study and group spaces.
- Patrons have access to our public computing and software including 72 computers, multimedia stations, copiers, laser printers, videoconferencing and digital video capture.
- Lane Library has ubiquitous wireless networking.
Lane Library's annual Collection budget is $3.9 million (This excludes the biosciences expenditures at other Stanford libraries that enrich the total accessible collection for School of Medicine faculty and students.)
Over 144,000 articles, books, and other materials were circulated or delivered as PDF files in 2009. The Lane website received over 2,780,000 views from July 2012 to June 2013.
Tools and Streamline Access
- We offer patrons a variety of tools to access relevant materials.
- We offer document delivery for materials not available online or at Stanford.
- We develop interfaces that enable smart searching with anytime, anywhere access, including a link resolver for journal articles from PubMed and other databases; specialty portals; and a simple Stanford University proxy service for off-campus access to restricted content.
- The Lane Search is a quick way to find a specific article, journal, book, database, calculator, biotool or FAQ.
- The Clinical search is designed specifically for the clinician, it finds clinical evidence articles fast from PubMed, UpToDate, Cochrane, DARE, BMJ and more.
- The Bioresearch metasearches quickly provide a hit count from multiple relevant sources from different vendors.
- Lane is a resource library for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine.